7.6

1. Aug 23, 2010
    If you compare one game to another, you of course are gonna find things that are better or worse in each title. Dante's Inferno falls into the, "been done before" category. Yeah, God of War is a great series. So why not go with something that works? I think EA and Visceral games took the God of War engine and just built on it for the better. If you are looking for a game with insane combos, non-stop action, unbelievable scenery's, and a great combat engine, Dante's Inferno exceeds in all areas. Hack and slash has never been so much fun. Oh, and the hardest difficulty, this game will make you cry! DEFINITE recommendation. Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2010
    This game is a hell of a lot of fun (pun fully intended). Yes the combat and style is nearly identical to God of War, but if you're a God of War fan, how is that a bad thing? There are things that Dante's Inferno actually do better than GOW too, like provide some direction as to your next move. Perhaps it was because the old PS2 games didn't have the resolution to clearly make climbable walls obvious, maybe I just suck at GOW, but it used to be very frustrating being stuck on a part of the game, because the answer to the puzzle was a small detail that the game did not make very clear. This is solved in Dante's Inferno. It's not game of the year, but it is a ton of fun, and very loosely based on the fabulous poem by Dante. Strongly recommended rental, recommended buy. Expand
  3. Dec 2, 2010
    Absolutely excellent game! Yes, it is very similar to God of War, so if you've had enough of it then avoid this. If you're looking for more GOW style fun or don't have a PS3 like me, then this is the GOW equivalent for the XBOX.
  4. Jul 30, 2012
    Exactly what a Hack N' Slash should be. It was challenging at points but overall a very fun and exciting game to play. It bothers me that people keep relating this to God of War, because I enjoyed this game much more. The choices to kill or to save the damned souls gave the player something to contemplate at times, The puzzles in the game (little as they are) were okay at best, but that's not the point of the game. The combat was very fun, and the changing enemies for each circle prevented it from becoming dull. I would recommend this game to any fans of the particular genre. Expand
  5. Dec 27, 2012
    The game is quite good, the controls handle well, the graphics are good and I enjoy playing, despite how gruesome and crazy the game actually is, glad there is an 18 age rating slapped on there.
  6. Jan 22, 2011
    A++ I loved this game and I will take it any day over God of War. Very dark and epic. I enjoyed every minute of it. Pay no attention to the critics, they don't know anything better other than Halo.
  7. Nov 8, 2010
    what a pity..everything about the game is promising. but it's broken up by a subpar combat system. comparison with GoW was inevitable and on combat alone it was just nowhere as brutal and nowhere as fluid. Entertaining while it lasted but would not recommend it to anyone.
  8. Nov 21, 2010
    Ok i just wanna say this i see ppl saying that this is unoriginal, like it is a rip off of GoW, well this is actully based off a book that was written in the 1500's, by a guy named Dante so how could it then be a rip off of a game made 500 yrs later
  9. Dec 21, 2010
    I haven't read the book this game is based off of (I will admt that right away) but now that I have played the game I really do want to find a copy and see where all the imagery and ideas came from.

People have ripped on this game for not closely following the book but in all fairness, some books are harder to tranlsate to a video game than others (compare making a game of the Movie
    Aliens against making a game for the movie Angela's Ashes) so it goes without saying that they had to make some changes to make it a playable and fun game. For a game that is a 'cheap, shoddy knock-off' it's sure as hell (no pun intended) got some absolutely astounding design for both the environments and characters (trust me, the Lust circle is just downright disturbing at times) and rather simple to learn but hard to master gameplay.

It is similar to God of War but this is by no means a bad thing, for starters it means that a veteran of GoW can just jump straight into the game without even needing the tutorial and novices will find the controls easy to use and memorise (everyone wins), if God of War had horrible gameplay and controls then I would understand everyone's objection but God of War was a brilliant game (surely something like it should be good to, right?), I get the feeling that most of the harsh feelings on this matter stems from PS3 fanboys (how dare those Xbox troglodites get something like our beloved God of War on their sh*tty console!) and people who turn their nose up at anything that's been done before (even if said something was actually good).

The story is interesting and keeps you going (and is presumeably based on the book), the gameplay is fun and simple and the visuals are both fantastic and vaguely disturbing (just like a game set in Hell should be).

My main issues with this game are that sometimes levelling up your karma meters requires you to explicitly go out of your way to be good or evil in order to obtain a particular upgrade that you want (I had to dedicate an entire playthrough to being an ammoral, baby eating psychopath because I was a good guy the first time round) and that some of the bosses feel particularly weak and bland (most, if not all of them can be defeated by just spamming crosses or mashing the heavy attack button like a hyperactive squirrel) leading to some rather anti-climatic encounters with the various overlords of Hell (who for some suspicious reason are easier to beat than their minions).

Overall, this is actually a really damn good game, it's faults seem rather moot when you consider the sheer level of creativity and atmosphere that is omnipresent in every single area (bar the opening tutorial), however, there are parts which are unsettling, disturbing or just plain disgusting so those with weak stomachs or who are easily offended may wish to overlook this (if only for their own sake).
  10. Jun 19, 2011
    Dante's Inferno is one of the most entertaining games I have ever played. At first, I was hesitant to pick it up because of the not so stellar reviews but it turned out to be a good decision. In terms of gameplay, Dante's Inferno is a God of War rip-off for sure; however, its scene--hell--is completely different. Quality product, buy it!
  11. Apr 12, 2011
    A decent 3rd-person hack and slasher. Dante's Inferno takes the 13th century poem.. and interprets it into an excuse to chop up hell's demons. And it works well. Sadly, despite decent graphics, good audio, and well thought out gameplay, Dante's Inferno gets stuck under the general dislike of modern hack and slashers. You could pick up most other genre titles, and rate them on their comparison to God of War. Dante's Inferno does set itself apart from this a little, with it's biblical(ish) storyline, and handful of unique novelties, but sadly, comes across as another slog of button mashing. The extra game modes (and DLC) are simply added stages of infinite demons. Worth buying if you want to see the devs take on Aligheri's poem, or if your a beat 'em up/hack and slash fan who wants something just a little different. Expand
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    Lifts a lot of ideas from God of War but when they are employed this well, who cares? Extremely satisfying combat and adventuring down through the inferno, most of which is highly distinctive thanks in part to the amazing art on the environments. Coupled with some pretty epic boss encounters, this is a fun and furious experience although it does perhaps wane a little in the final few circles.
  13. Aug 14, 2011
    Dark and twisted, the game play was unlike anything I have played before which hooked me to this game, The story was so so but going through hells layers was exciting and fast. You really had to be ready from bosses and some of hell minoins. I loved how you could choose to be good or evil in this game very unipue and made your charater have its own style. The bosses were all different and Satan was kind of a suprise LOL! (hes naked) just so you know! i enjoy these dark story games. Its different and keeps the suspense up. Lots of botton pressing all through the game. The story was alitte short but all in all a really fun game! Enjoy! Expand
  14. Nov 29, 2011
    It was ok. Its entertaing for a bit but it gets rather old and repetitive pretty quickly. Unoriginal combat system. Outstanding voice acting though and it makes the cut scenes seem like its a mini-animated film within the game. The potential is there.
  15. Feb 1, 2012
    This game is probably the number one most underrated game of all time. Its like everyone got on the bandwagon of hate. Every war shooter has the same controls, scenery and plots, but every critic will **** their pants about it. EA or whoever did a great job of an original story; outstanding, artistic graphics; and one hell of a fun game with awesome combos! (that got ripped off, blah blah)
  16. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me just say - I got an account on this site just so I could complain about this game.

This is a very difficult game - which is fine, but what's not fine is that they've made it that much harder by crappy controls and horrible angles where you can't see where you're going and the camera whizzes around you while you're trying to run and fight. I played on the highest difficulty, and I found myself going down a level of difficulty constantly, not because I couldn't do the challenge, but because I couldn't stand going through all of the cut scenes, running around, upgrading and climbing around for relics over and over again because they were too retarded to put checkpoints in the right places.

Alot of the time - the enemies and challenges weren't the reason I died. It was to do with being unable to see, falling off a cliff I didn't know about ... then I would be back where I started. And then... the lack of save points! Save points are stupid anyway - theres no reason why you can't let the player save whenever they want to - but in this game... they are so rare! You have to play for hours (which I don't have) to find one - some of them you miss anyway - and if you don't you have to, once again, go through all the crap to get back to where you were. This game made me so angry and not because I was cleverly manipulated to be so but because they designers forgot the basics.

Now... for the reason I gave it a 2 and not a 0. The graphics are breathtaking. The ideas in the scenery are fantastic. They go all out and dont hold back, because they realise theyre trying to make Hell. Some of its quite creepy (especially the babies) and some is fantastically messed up (especially the babies coming out of Cleopatra's nipples). But this is a video game, not a painting. The controls are too dictatorial and the game is too repetitve, so the amazing visuals are ruined.
  17. Aug 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After just playing this game, i was partially disappointed with it. It had bright moments such as the games plot and the amount of moves available to the player. It also had great graphics and the puzzles were all a challenge to the player. But with that said the games length was to much, for the short ending that was given. The circles of hell leading up to the final battle and the final boss battle itself was epic. With that said i only gave this game a 7/10 its had a great many ups but also a few poorly placed downs. Expand
  18. Mar 29, 2013
    Above all I will commend this game on utterly gorgeous art direction and visuals. Every moment is like a visual orgasm. The gameplay itself on the otherhand is really where it falters. It isn't bad, just nothing that we really haven't seen before. Not only that, the combat mechanic, while smooth and fun to play, is also really lacking in any real range and is rather limited. A bit more creativity with the combat could have made this game allot better. Overall: Dante's inferno is still a great game that is allot of fun to play and a memorable experience, but does really lack replayability thanks to repetitive combat and shallow combat mechanics. Expand
  19. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dante’s Inferno takes a bold, visually impressive take on a literary classic and adds in an intriguing action focus to create a different kind of action title. Unfortunately, some derivative combat sequences and a shallow combo system prevent the title from becoming a truly great experience. Expand
  20. Dec 29, 2012
    I really don't care if a game is a ripoff or not, as long as it is done well then the game is worth a play. Dante's Inferno holds strong for most of the journey but falters towards the last few circles of hell. The art visuals are beautiful, the music is extremely well-done, and the voice-acting is top notch. You really feel for Dante even though he was one messed up human. Combat is a clone, but I did enjoy the unholy and holy talents that were available. The last few levels become challenge modes that give the vibe that developers were short on time as they really didn't fit in with the other well-designed circles. This game is worth a rental because it is far too short (8 hours). But, it should be experienced at least once by a person who is interested in seeing the visual interpretation of Hell in this game. Difficulty is inconsistent, as some mobs are hard as hell while most bosses are easy. Lucifer is a tough sob so that's consolation enough. Bottom line, play it once and enjoy the quick ride. Expand
  21. Jul 30, 2013
    3 Years after its release and this game looks and plays great!! First of all the graphics are amazing Hell looks like Hell and going though the cycles of Hell the game introduces new bloody, sick and twisted levels and enemies.. Especially the unbaptized babies are very creepy!
    Game play is very good as well... you can string impressive long combos devastating whole groups of enemies..
    for a change of pace the introduces some puzzles and your typical driving segment ...controlling a massive beast where at one stage you demolish whole buildings.. Also some of the boss battles are epic and massive in scale...

Bottom line... this is not GOW but in its own right this this a great game that very console gamer should enjoy!
  22. Feb 3, 2014
    I am a huge fan of The Divine Comedy. Written by Dante during the Italian Renaissance, it is still praised highly today for its dark portrayal of hell, purgatory, and heaven and is considered one of the greatest epic poems ever created. But even though Dante wrote of hell, purgatory, and heaven in the divine comedy, the first part of the poem, "Inferno" is widely praised as being the most interesting. And for good reason. It portrayed hell in the most detailed and wrenching way Dante could write it, and it is still considered a horrific vision of hell to this day. But by now the words are dated on the page, tainted with archaic diction making some parts hard to understand and hurting the vision of hell Dante wanted to instill in us.

But then Visceral Games created the superb video-game adaption of the timeless epic, bringing Dante's brutal vision of hell to life. The story is brilliant and each environment is gorgeously and grotesquely designed in order to evoke the sense if helplessness and fear.Visceral took many liberties in the story of Dante's Inferno but none of them are unwelcome, as just adapting the epic would not be necessarily action-packed.

The environments are so beautiful and well made that the combat takes a second seat to it. Don't get me wrong, the combat is fluid, functional, and fun, but the environment is so breathtaking that you'll find yourself stopping to take in the sights. Sightseeing was, at least for me, more fun then the combat, so I actually turned down the difficulty to easy so I could breeze through the combat sections while soaking in the environment.

Overall this game is brilliant for anyone that is interested in delving into a superbly crafted world that will take your breath away. If you've ever even been remotely curious if what hell is like, you need to check out this game. For $19.99, it's well worth the ride. Hell, this game is so well made that it might just make you repent.
  23. Jul 13, 2014
    A must buy for anyone who enjoyed the God of War series, unless you really want to be a brat and avoid getting it because it ''copied'' them. Don't let the average rating fool you, this game should be a solid at least a solid 80 if the GoW series are all around 90.

You get to customize your fighting style by choosing which skills to unlock with souls you obtain from punishing or
    absolving enemies. This turned out to be a really good thing as I found the combat pretty challenging on higher difficulties, so being able to choose a style which I was comfortable using helped a lot.

While the combat is great, there are two major flaws in the gameplay. There are way too many points in the game where you're exploring and moving on and not being quite sure where to go next and you end up jumping off a ledge. There is also many points in the game where you have to jump from a moving platform to another and timing is crucial. While this may not seem that bad, it's made worse by the second big flaw in the game. Checkpoints are very sparse and often you find yourself replaying the same points way too much. You will have unskippable small cutscenes that you have to sit through sometimes after you die and you also need to find any items you obtained before dying after you load from a checkpoint. This is what drove the score down from 9-10 for me.

But Dante's Inferno makes up for it's mistakes in gameplay with a good story and great scenery. It is truly Hellish (in a good way). The graphics are not breathtaking but do look good.

1. The accomplished combat and surprisingly decent adaptation of the story make Dante's Inferno a fine diversion while you wait for the next button-masher... One based in a different set of mythology.
  2. Another major annoyance is the save system. You can only save at designated statues, and there are only two or three per level.
  3. All in all, it was a fun trip though hell, even with one circle being lackluster and the game feeling rather short, I still have no issues or moral objections to recommending Dante's Inferno for fans of this genre.