7.9

1. Mar 26, 2014
    An amazing display that the old generation can beat some of the new generations creations.This game has great potential and in fact beats all the next games if not most of them. If your struggling in dark souls take my strategy after you fight the enemies in a area go back to bonfire and fight the same enemies till they stop regenerating this makes the game 10 times easier, although theAn amazing display that the old generation can beat some of the new generations creations.This game has great potential and in fact beats all the next games if not most of them. If your struggling in dark souls take my strategy after you fight the enemies in a area go back to bonfire and fight the same enemies till they stop regenerating this makes the game 10 times easier, although the main point is if you die and lose souls your screwed every time you die and lose souls your only making it harder on your self.

Maki.
  2. ERB
    Mar 11, 2014
    Obviously one of the best game this year. The game is awesome even though they made it more difficult this time. The game is fun and the story is amazing. This game is so difficult that I think I can finish the whole game in 100 hours or more. There are many to explore in this twisted world Of Dark Souls 2. It is fun to adventure the world and the graphics and environments are beautiful. IObviously one of the best game this year. The game is awesome even though they made it more difficult this time. The game is fun and the story is amazing. This game is so difficult that I think I can finish the whole game in 100 hours or more. There are many to explore in this twisted world Of Dark Souls 2. It is fun to adventure the world and the graphics and environments are beautiful. I know that in this game you will die countless times but even if it is frustrating, that is what makes this game so great. This game is has the most rewarding moments in gaming history. Because the enemies in this game is so difficult to beat that when you beat them you will have this mysterious beautiful feeling that is coming into you. That is right it feels really great when you beat them.

This game is really amazing and a must buy game for all gamer around the world especially for fans of this game. A great improvement upon the original and more rewarding moments, this game deserves a 10/10 score from me.
  3. Mar 13, 2014
    Forced "Player v. Player" annoyances significantly detract from what should be an improvement on the Dark Souls formula. While the theme of the series has always been about difficulty, the previous games always felt fair, and at least offered options to avoid some of the more annoying aspects of the game, like unfair PvP invasions. Even though many fans complained about the PvP of theForced "Player v. Player" annoyances significantly detract from what should be an improvement on the Dark Souls formula. While the theme of the series has always been about difficulty, the previous games always felt fair, and at least offered options to avoid some of the more annoying aspects of the game, like unfair PvP invasions. Even though many fans complained about the PvP of the earlier game, the developers inexplicably upped the ante in DS2, forcing PvP at all times (with no option to avoid), even for those who want no part in it. This results in an annoying situation where players must chose between unplugging their internet connection and playing offline--removing some of the most compelling aspects of the multi-player experience, like the ghostly messages left by other players--or being subject to merciless torture and annoyance. Added to this is a new, ultra-brutal death penalty that permanently reduces your health each time you die (save for the rare item that can restore it), which can leave you in a state where you are unable to continue in the game because you are too weak from being killed by invaders. The end result is that this new version of Dark Souls intentionally alienates players who mostly enjoy a challenging single player experience, instead adding MMO-like guild features, and social clubs. Dark Souls 2 seems like it wants to be enjoyed by only a select type of player (aggressive PvP junkies and griefers) and is less of a game for it. A simple option to play with online message features but avoid PvP would be wonderful, but the developers appear to have no interest in that. Avoid this game unless PvP is what you are about, because that is what Dark Souls 2 is about. Expand
  4. Mar 19, 2014
    This is one of those games that will go down in history as a legacy and never die. It will be something you can play years from now and enjoy, not just some once and done waste of time game. With Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, Dark Souls II is one of the greatest games ever created.
  5. Sep 29, 2014
    Don't let the high scores fool you!
    Don't let the high scores fool you!
    This sequal is a huge step back from the previous title. The overall feel of this installment leaves alot to be desired. Poor level design, no sense of direction or urgency, artifical difficulty coming from the way of broken game mechanics, terrible matchmaking mechanics (see soul memory) Unnecessarily tedious task like leveling up, bad hit detection/phantom hits, certain gear so over powered, you would be stupid not to use it effectively removing any customization. Unusable weapon classes because of horrendous move sets (im looking at you reapers) forgettable bosses all feeling the same....... the list goes on.
    On a brighter note, i may be describing it as a horrible game, but it still trumps other rpgs out there.
    Being a massive fan of the soul series i was immensely disappointed by this sub par sequal, they have fixed several balance issues associated with the first games, but have created a myrid of other issues.
    spend any serious amount of time playing this game and the cracks will begin to show.
  6. Jun 5, 2014
    This is a step back from dark Souls.
    The ghost damage one can get from a katana R2 etc or the mystical hitbox damage one takes when "out of range" of enemy radius is astounding.
    From seems to want gamers to spend 300+ hours on lackluster arenas that require grinding for example the blue sentinels (10,000) souls per orb.) On PC the game looks excellent , the story nothing to write home
    This is a step back from dark Souls.
    On PC the game looks excellent , the story nothing to write home about . It is obvious Miyazaki was "busy" getting to be president of from.
  7. May 8, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 had a lot to live up to from the moment is was conceived following the smash hit that was its predecessor.
    And simply put, it does not live up to it. It doesn't have as interesting a world, as memorable boss encounters or as intriguing NPCs. It is probably the most dull of the entries into the Souls series.
    And yet, even at its worst, Dark Souls 2 still offers a better
    And yet, even at its worst, Dark Souls 2 still offers a better experience than most other games of this genre to the player. Though the difficulty level has certainly been toned down, the game play and online matchmaking are more refined than they ever have been.
    If you loved the first one as I did, you'll like this one.
  8. Jul 6, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is a good game, but I feel it is a step down from Dark Souls. I'm not sure if others feel the same, but the way Dark Souls was connected by shortcuts It really made the world feel together. Some points in dark souls 2 don't make sense where they are placed and shortcuts are lame now that you can fast travel. The combat and how it plays feels similar enough to Dark Souls soDark Souls 2 is a good game, but I feel it is a step down from Dark Souls. I'm not sure if others feel the same, but the way Dark Souls was connected by shortcuts It really made the world feel together. Some points in dark souls 2 don't make sense where they are placed and shortcuts are lame now that you can fast travel. The combat and how it plays feels similar enough to Dark Souls so once I got used to it I had fun. Though I was letdown by the bosses in Dark Souls 2 which are mostly all re-skins of bosses from previous games with slightly different moves.So most the bosses felt kind of uninspired except for a few.A little more than half way through the game I was getting a little bored. Probably because I was expecting more.I still completed it, but felt it was missing something. The game was good and worth a purchase, but it is not amazing like Dark Souls. Expand
  9. Feb 14, 2015
    One of the best games ever, it's brilliance outshines its minor flaws. If you play games to be challenged this is for you.

If you want a game that will play it's self, buy it anyway and get your head examined!
  10. Mar 13, 2014
    Dark Souls II is a fantastic sequel. Everything is more polished and refined. The wonderful art direction, incredible enemy design, challenge and the great atmosphere make this game a must buy. This is not for the faint of heart however. You will die and the game requires patience. This doesn't mean it's for only the ''hardcore gamers'', no. It's for everyone to try out. You'll still haveDark Souls II is a fantastic sequel. Everything is more polished and refined. The wonderful art direction, incredible enemy design, challenge and the great atmosphere make this game a must buy. This is not for the faint of heart however. You will die and the game requires patience. This doesn't mean it's for only the ''hardcore gamers'', no. It's for everyone to try out. You'll still have a great experience, even if you somehow don't manage to finish the game up.

Dark Souls II is visually stunning. The art style and varied environments keep the game feeling fresh. Even when you're ''stuck'' in a section of the game world for several hours even, you never feel like something is getting old. You constantly learn something new, whether it's a new attack pattern or a well hidden item.

Just like it's predecessors, Dark Souls II is INCREDIBLY rewarding. Even for a Souls vet, like myself who's put around 2500 hours to both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls combined. You always feel like you're accomplishing something. No developer does it quite like From Software. Today's mainstream franchises feel like a waste of time compared to the Souls series. While, one might argue that the Souls games are mainstream now, with this being the third installment, it still haven't gotten old one bit. From always puts time, love and effort to their games to make sure they're polished and provide the best possible experience. Which probably is why the Souls series is my favorite of this past generation, and i'm sure other people think that as well.

The gameplay is more or less the same. It's still the best combat system around only with some tweaks. Firstly, goodbye invincibility frames when rolling/dodging. This can make some of the first boss encounters feel a little odd, if you're coming from Dark Souls. You might say to yourselves ''THAT DIDN'T EVEN HIT ME!'' but trust me, it did hit you. The hit-boxes are really good in Dark Souls II. The parrying is a bit harder than in the first Dark Souls. It requires more timing and precision.

The lore is still there to be find, even though the core story that you're playing through is explained to you by the various NPCs, the LORE is still there to be found and much speculation to be done.

The boss fights are still incredible, although some of them feel a little too similar to each other, they're still very well designed and deliciously challenging. Here's a hoping for a Next Gen Souls release somewhere down the line. Just take your time From Software!

9.5/10

I rated it a 10 on the score because of the awfully stupid user score system. It's like you're allowing moronic troll children to determine what games people should play. The user score for the Xbox 360 version just keeps going down, it's like one person keeps making accounts to give Dark Souls II zeroes because they have nothing better to do with their life. If you want to see what people REALLY think about the game go see the Playstation 3 section. (unless you're already reading this there, then good for you.)
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    I´m a souls veteran. I have played both Demon´s souls and dark souls, and i´m happy to say that i´m now also playing dark souls 2. I am currently about halfway through my game at the moment (30ish hours), and I am enjoying it immensely. I believe dark souls 2 to be the perfect match of demon´s souls and dark souls, and if you have played both, you will feel right at home here.

Most of

Most of the design choices that are different from Dark souls, is great, but there are a few places which they shouldn´t have messed with: namely how repairing works now. But that´s a really small nitpick.

all in all, this game is a masterpiece!
  12. Mar 22, 2014
    Dark Souls 2! Praise the Sun.... errrrr not so much.

Dark Souls 2! Praise the Sun.... errrrr not so much.

Dark Souls 2 is here and I’ve been playing it solid since release and I have a question.... where is the game I was expecting? I mean is this really it? This isn’t the game I saw advertised in all the promotional material. That game was beautiful! This game is not, hell this game doesn’t even look as good as the first. Oh, and then there are the technical issues like covenants that don’t work and no poise in PVP. That’s right I said “NO POISE IN PVP” (Dark Souls players will understand the importance of this). I could go on about the changes in the games structure to a semi open world that never quite lives up to the interconnected glory of the first games design, or the pacing and placement of boss encounters that are used far too frequently so that they end up losing the uniqueness and sense of accomplishment that they held in the first game, but let’s not go there. These major issues aside, is there an enjoyable RPG experience to be had? Yes there is. Will some of the issues be addressed with patches at a later date? Yes they will. Has Namco Bandai / From Software disappointed, disrespected and alienated a large number of their loyal fan / customer base? Oh, hell yes. If you are new to the Dark Souls series please don’t start with this game. Instead play the original and far superior title. Also, this game is getting over rated by fan boys. Please don't be sucked in by 10 out of 10 scores.
  13. Mar 15, 2014
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

That's the advice From Software ignored when making this game. Dark souls style may not appeal to a lot of people, but it was such a masterful game, damn near perfect. Dark souls 2 "refines" the experience with lots of changes to gameplay, balance issues, and lack of accessibility from the previous game. While playing DS2 it IS clear that From is on
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.

While playing DS2 it IS clear that From is on top of every little detail about their game. The issues I have with this game are nothing that was overlooked, but rather, deliberate changes to the formula that almost completely ruin my enjoyment of the game. While they admirably address things from the previous game that seemed redundant or flawed, the changes they made create new problems in themselves.

By far, the biggest issue with the game is the finite enemies. This is no doubt a measure that was implimented to stop people from grinding to get souls. After you kill an enemy a certain amount of times, they stop respawning. It seems like a glitch at first, until you notice the pattern. It feels like a slap in the face and goes against what the game is all about, to a degree. I legitimately killed enemies, died, respawned, and repeated, without making my way to the next bonfire. However, since I had killed the enemies enough times, they began disappearing, which made getting further easier, since there was much less in my way. I didn't feel like I earned it. The other issue with them disappearing is that I ended up losing lots of souls in the process. With enemies being finite, I now have to play every second of the game stressed out. If I loss some souls, those are souls I can NEVER earn back. So essentially you could run the risk of digging yourself into a huge hole that you can't get out of, forcing you to start over. This is a long game, having to start over is not fun at all. With finite enemies, this also complicates loot drops, a staple in RPGs. Now the loot is also finite. Farming titanite is a thing of the past. Now the decisions you make on upgrading your weapons are more stressful than ever, since it's not so simple to just go get more. DS1 kept the stress where it was fun, in the combat. I didn't have to fear that I was playing the game wrong and making things harder for myself hours down the line.

Item durability has been expanded and tweaked. Weapons, armor, and now rings have durability and will break from overuse or damage. In DS1, items breaking was sort of a non issue, as they took a long time to break and were simple enough to fix, since the souls to do it were always around. This time, they break REALLY fast, and cost you precious finite souls to fix. Plus you must progress a bit to unlock the blacksmith who can provide the service. In the early go of it, I nearly was left with no useable weapons, since I couldn't buy any yet and had broken some.

Some features of the game that aren't meant to be hidden are needlessly obtuse. It took me a while to see how to activate torches, and I still choose not to use them because they don't last long and are hard to come by. I had to look online to find that I had the ability to post messages the WHOLE time, I just wasn't able to do it because I wasn't in living form. I don't play in living form because I will most certainly get killed, as that is the nature of dark souls, and the item needed to become living is hard to come by, once again. I also didn't know how to level up for a while, unfortunately. I didn't like how it has to happen through some weird lady.

Now, when you die, you lose a portion of your max health, up to 50%, until you use a finite item to revert back to living form. It's stupid, stressful, and a$$ backwards. You die, and the game gets harder?

Combat feels more cheap this time. So often you'll find battles where you're pitted against a group of enemies, which is always challenging, no matter how "weak" they are. DS1 rarely made you fight more than one or two at a time, if you were patient enough, allowing you to concentrate on the fundamentals. The very beginning woods section of this game was full of these encounters and was enfuriating. This, coming from a guy who beat dark souls. I know how to play.

The game was made "more accessible" by including fast travel between bonfires and has a supposedly easier world structure to get started in. First, getting started was not easy at all. Like I said, the woods, which is first, were unbelievably aggravating, since you barely have any gear, and you get swarmed all over. I can't imagine that to be more accessible to a newcomer. Second, fast travel, it's does have its perks. It saves lots of time, but the gameworld is built so sprawling and disjointed. Nothing like the masterful interconnected puzzle that DS1 was. Plus having to go to the main hub area to level up and such is annoying.

On a good note, the frame rate in this game is Super smooth compared to DS 1. At its best, this game IS great. But not DS1 great.

I could say more, no more room.
  14. Mar 11, 2014
    Having played only Dark Souls I loved it. I purchased the game a good year and a half after it had come out and was a little disappointed that most of the gamers and secrets were already spoiled. Encounters were with guys that had maxed their character out or what have you. Dark Souls 2 I'm on day 1 and it's everything I could have hoped for. While you have to progress a bit before gettingHaving played only Dark Souls I loved it. I purchased the game a good year and a half after it had come out and was a little disappointed that most of the gamers and secrets were already spoiled. Encounters were with guys that had maxed their character out or what have you. Dark Souls 2 I'm on day 1 and it's everything I could have hoped for. While you have to progress a bit before getting into the covenants (real means of invading or helping players) it's not that far in and you'll gladly play the game to get there.

One flaw I've found with Dark Souls 2 is that the enemies don't respawn after a certain amount of kills. This discourages farming and that was one of my favorite aspects of the old game. Farming humanity from the rats in the Depths was awesome to me. Especially with my high leveled gear and moves.

The game is a 9/10 for the reason stated above. I really wish that there was some place I could do my grinding...
  15. Mar 13, 2014
    Amazing work by from software.
    All things they can do better from first dark soul game they did it.Im a soul veteran, finished demons and dark souls a couple of times, and this is i think, the game that fans like me were waiting for.
    Amazing work by from software.
    This is a demostration (as all souls serie), how a relly basic concept like a dungeon crawler, can be one of the most deepest and complex experience in a game. the world, the concept art, the mechanics, the history......all them are amazing.
    From software, i love you!!

Goty for me
  16. Mar 11, 2014
    Absolutely incredible this game is simply one of the best games ever made IMO and sets the new bar for RPGs and games in generally the game took me about 35 hours to complete partly because of the amount of times you die but for me its what makes the game so good because when you finish the game there is no better feeling than knowing that you completed Dark Souls 2. You ask why I see wellAbsolutely incredible this game is simply one of the best games ever made IMO and sets the new bar for RPGs and games in generally the game took me about 35 hours to complete partly because of the amount of times you die but for me its what makes the game so good because when you finish the game there is no better feeling than knowing that you completed Dark Souls 2. You ask why I see well let me tell why. Its just that every conceivable area has been improved from the original Dark Souls from the gameplay, story, balance, and the overall experience has been improved and has resulted in a true masterpiece in gaming. But I will warn you that this game is only for HARDCORE GAMERS because you aren't then trust me will become a real dark soul but if you are then get out there and buy this masterpiece right now and you wont forget it.
    Thanks for reading my review
  17. Mar 11, 2014
    This game is an absolute masterpiece; both the environments and enemies are beautifully designed, and when combined create a dark, immersive game world. Yes, it is challenging, but the euphoria that you experience when you defeat a tough group of enemies or a boss is second to none in my opinion.
  18. Mar 15, 2014
    Got this game yesterday and it's great. Been playing it non stop probably 10 hrs already and I've only scratched the surface. Dark souls was an amazing game and this one easily follows suit. Graphics are nice and the controls are really responsive. This is what a 10 game is. I love the atmosphere as you edge forward bit by bit with your little shield up. It's great. PeopleGot this game yesterday and it's great. Been playing it non stop probably 10 hrs already and I've only scratched the surface. Dark souls was an amazing game and this one easily follows suit. Graphics are nice and the controls are really responsive. This is what a 10 game is. I love the atmosphere as you edge forward bit by bit with your little shield up. It's great. People shouldn't complain about getting killed here and there when in all challenging games you'll die a fair bit at certain points. The only difference with the souls series is you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Anyone who likes RPGs, solid combat, a fantasy setting, with fair challenging gameplay should lap this beauty up. It's a definite keeper!!! Expand
  19. Mar 15, 2014
    everything you could ask for in a sequel. draws upon the best elements of dark souls and demon's souls in equal measure. Incredibly difficult and incredibly satisfying. This installment is less about finding the most broken items or the cheesiest strategies and more about mastering every tool the game gives you.
  20. Mar 11, 2014
    Whoever gave this game a 1 because it is "too hard" should have never pre-ordered this game in the first place. Whoever jumps in to this game expecting it to be "easy" is an idiot. Welcome to Dark Souls II. You will die.
  21. Mar 11, 2014
    Fantastic sequel. Anyone looking for a real challenge that reaps such satisfying rewards will love Dark Souls 2. Although very difficult, the game reqards patience and exploration. DO NOT RUSH THROUGH THIS GAME. It is meant to be savored. I am only 3 hours in and have only been to 2 different worlds, but there is so much to see and explore that I don't want to move on too quickly. AFantastic sequel. Anyone looking for a real challenge that reaps such satisfying rewards will love Dark Souls 2. Although very difficult, the game reqards patience and exploration. DO NOT RUSH THROUGH THIS GAME. It is meant to be savored. I am only 3 hours in and have only been to 2 different worlds, but there is so much to see and explore that I don't want to move on too quickly. A few changes were made in the sequel, such as being able to travel anywhere at anytime (I personally don't love this change, but it's nice to know that if I get frustrated with a world, I can skip it). However, I'd just rather have an experience like Dark Souls where you have to fight and claw to get out of a place like Blightown and...PRAISE THE SUN. This game is not to be missed.

And Ogly, Skyrim is fantastic. Badl_Doge might be a trolling clown, but how can anyone NOT like Skyrim, is the real question.
  22. Mar 13, 2014
    This game (just like the last two in the series) is either going to be loved dearly or hated passionately. Obviously, the people who lack ambition, determination, persistence, patience, and ingenuity are the ones who are most likely to hate it passionately. So, basically, most of the people who have played this game and then given it a low score are losers. While, the ones who love itThis game (just like the last two in the series) is either going to be loved dearly or hated passionately. Obviously, the people who lack ambition, determination, persistence, patience, and ingenuity are the ones who are most likely to hate it passionately. So, basically, most of the people who have played this game and then given it a low score are losers. While, the ones who love it dearly are winners. The game itself, really can't be faulted very much if you like RPGs. It's obviously wonderfully crafted and extremely well done. Expand
  23. Mar 12, 2014
    Definitely the hardest game I have played on the 360 and is very rage inducing. However, this game makes you come back for more because the game is still fun and is so rewarding when you complete something u were stuck on. Another note is that the music within the game is stunning.
  24. Mar 15, 2014
    While not quite as good as the original Dark Souls 2 still provides the intense challenge, rewarding combat and an interesting game world to explore. A very harcore and worthwhile game.
  25. Mar 12, 2014
    Dark Souls II is a glorious lovechild of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It provides the best of both worlds while remaining exceptionally challenging and rewarding. The world is dark, dangerous and full of atmosphere, carrying on Dark Souls' seamless areas. Every area is connected in some way and it gives incredible depth to the world. Funny enough, however, it is in this pointDark Souls II is a glorious lovechild of both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. It provides the best of both worlds while remaining exceptionally challenging and rewarding. The world is dark, dangerous and full of atmosphere, carrying on Dark Souls' seamless areas. Every area is connected in some way and it gives incredible depth to the world. Funny enough, however, it is in this point exactly that we see one of Dark Souls II's small flaws.

While the world is seamless and vast, you are allowed to 'quick travel' from bonfire to bonfire with no restrictions. This is a convenient service, and indeed might be considered necessary by many, but it detracts from the large world it helps you travel. One of the challenges of Dark Souls was trying to make your way out of a challenging area that you just conquered. In Dark Souls II this is not present, as you may simply use a bonfire to escape the area to safety.

This removes some of the challenge from the game and can make the world seem smaller than it really is. While there is definitely a lot of exploration to be had in Dark Souls II, many players will probably not have a chance to see it all in favor of traveling from bonfire to bonfire to progress the game. With some restrictions set in place, such as requiring an item or souls to use the quick travel, there would be more incentive to travel large distances on foot and it is my hope that FromSoftware takes this to heart for the next installment.

In true Demon's Souls style leveling your character has also changed. No longer do you level at any bonfire; you must now speak to a certain character every time you wish to level. While many will miss the ease of leveling at any bonfire, this system adds more to the world and makes you truly feel like you are getting stronger.

The combat in Dark Souls II is an improvement over the first games and adds some much needed changes. Dual wielding in combat is viable in skilled hands, and archery finds itself more useful as well. Most of the controls have carried over, with some small variations (such as the 'dash jump'), making it easy to pick up and play the game if you have played any of the games before. However, combat is not without its annoyances.

The addition of the 'Adaptability' statistic is an illustration of one of the new annoyances added in Dark Souls II. Raising your Adaptability stat increases some of your resistances but, more importantly, your Agility. Raising your Agility affects the 'speed' of your animations. What does this mean? If you have little Adaptability, and your agility is low, there will be a 'delay' between swinging an attack and your next action. This may not seem terribly bad at first, but if you are fighting more than one enemy and you attack one of them you may find yourself not having enough time to react to an attack from another. It makes fighting multiple enemies extremely frustrating as you have very little chances to attack with no fear of retaliation.

Despite this small annoyance combat is fresh and fun and requires a great amount of skill to get the most out of. This is very noticeable in healing items, actually. The Estus Flask from Dark Souls has returned but a new addition is the Lifegem. Lifegems have much quicker animations than the Estus Flask but restore health over time, slowly, rather than all at once. This sounds simple at first, but requires a tactical mind to get the most out of. The difference between using an Estus Flask or a Lifegem is a matter of life and death.

Lastly, Dark Souls II has an incredible sound track and sound effects. This is immediately noticeable on the Title Screen, boasting a very nice song. The ambient sounds as you travel as well really help set the mood and it is easy to get lost in the world. Each enemy is given life as they are all given sounds to completely fit their character.

Overall, Dark Souls II is a worthy successor to the games before it. Indeed, its flaws are small enough that it might even trump them both.
  26. Mar 12, 2014
    I loved this game,everything is interesting,the story,enemies,places to explore and NPCs.
    If you enjoyed Dark Souls,you'll enjoy Dark Souls 2 because It's fantastic,they improved everything,I can't wait to see Dark Souls 2 on PC and Dark Souls 3 (who knows?) on the next gen
  27. Oct 2, 2014
    A game famous (and infamous) for its difficulty and vast open world. Sounds like a fun challenge. I'll readily admit that perhaps due to not playing Dark Souls 1 I'm missing backstory and plot points, but with all due respect...what the **** is going on in this game? It starts out and quickly makes no sense. Controls or wonky, but like most games, a person will eventually get used to them.A game famous (and infamous) for its difficulty and vast open world. Sounds like a fun challenge. I'll readily admit that perhaps due to not playing Dark Souls 1 I'm missing backstory and plot points, but with all due respect...what the **** is going on in this game? It starts out and quickly makes no sense. Controls or wonky, but like most games, a person will eventually get used to them. The inventory system? Not so much. It's confusing and awful. You collect items with little to know idea what they do, are presented with paths to take...that you shouldn't because the enemy on the path is far too strong for your character. Battles consist of rolling around trying to stab a bad guy a couple of times until you run out of stamina, or better yet, hope you can get him to stand next to a rock that causes the horrible AI to make him stuck against. From there you can slice him through the wall...until an archer from across the map shoots you through the same rock wall. Wow.

Development is sloppy, unique terminology is not explained, the animations are so long, slow, and disjointed that you start something then literally watch the enemy perform 2-3 actions while you wait for your animation to finish. Let's say you bring up the menu-well, you can still be attacked with it up, but whatever. You exist out and can start walking around...but not of your attacks or rolls work until you exist out of the menu's menu bar that is atop the screen. Really?

Every step of the way lazy development and horrible game design prevented me from caring about what was going on, wanting to spend more time to learn, or give me any confidence that I was stuck in a learning curve that would end, and the meat of the gaming experience would start up.

Now multiplayer. Perhaps through poor research on my part, I was led to believe there was a traditional co-op experience in the game. What actually happens is after getting a few nonsensical items and apparently drawing on the floor with them, you can have someone else join your game as a shade. That means they get to see you run around and enable conversations, open chests, open doors, play the game, while you're along for the ride. Able to walk on ledges with terrible camera control and enemy targeting, swing your weapon of choice, then eventually run out of time in your buddy's world and getting to re-appear at a bonfire, you are guaranteed to feel completely cheated out of the story and gaming experience. That isn't co-op. That's single player, with some small amount of interaction above watching someone's Twitch account.

This is in my bottom 5 of worst games I've ever played, and I've easily played through 500+ games.

Difficult? Yes. In the sense that it's difficult to ride a bike on the freeway with a missing tire, three pedals, and a blindfold, but I would argue the difficulty, and frustration, is due to sloppy development and horrible game mechanics. Exploiting bad AI and clunky animations is not cleverly difficult gameplay to me.
  28. Sep 24, 2014
    In no way does this game deserve a 92. It is an emotionless, dry world where everything feels plastic. The game lacks emphasis on basic details that make a computerized world feel real. Character and enemy movements are limp, lifeless and clunky beyond playability. Combat mechanics are actually poor, and feel unimportant somehow. Plus.. dodging/blocking attacks is NOT possible to do amidstIn no way does this game deserve a 92. It is an emotionless, dry world where everything feels plastic. The game lacks emphasis on basic details that make a computerized world feel real. Character and enemy movements are limp, lifeless and clunky beyond playability. Combat mechanics are actually poor, and feel unimportant somehow. Plus.. dodging/blocking attacks is NOT possible to do amidst a flurry of attacks. you just get beaten to a pulp if you take more than 1 few hits. Tiny piglets take 50 swings to kill. The user interface and inventory system is cluttered, and badly disorganized. Facial details and graphics look like they are from 15 years ago, and that is not an exaggeration. I played the first Dark Souls two times through... in a row. With this game Im finding myself wanting to uninstall after 2 hours in. Dark Souls 1 was one of the best games I have ever played. This one misses the mark completely. Another failed sequel added to the list. Don't waste your money on this, unless you enjoy dying by falling off 15 foot drops, and getting beaten to death with no ability to roll or block. Its a dry world with nothing to offer except immense false hopes. Expand
  29. Mar 19, 2014
    This game is perfection. I feel it is a great sequel to a great game to begin with. Boss fights are exciting and everywhere you go, there is something unique. At the beginning of the game, you are meant to feel weak and helpless. Every enemy is a threat, and you have to dissect and analyse every situation. You will die. A lot. That's a given. But that's okay. The game is centered aroundThis game is perfection. I feel it is a great sequel to a great game to begin with. Boss fights are exciting and everywhere you go, there is something unique. At the beginning of the game, you are meant to feel weak and helpless. Every enemy is a threat, and you have to dissect and analyse every situation. You will die. A lot. That's a given. But that's okay. The game is centered around it. Sure, at surface level the game appears to be a grind, but it is so much more. Every character has a purpose, and interesting things to say. Some may think it has little plot, but if you are willing to listen to every piece of dialog, read item descriptions and.. dare I say it.. look for it, I can assure you it is there. Player vs Player combat is another great feature. It lets you know that, well, you aren't safe. Ever. People need to recognize that it's not a bad thing. Believe me, nothing is more annoying than losing your human form and 50k souls. So next time, do better. Stop the invader. Overcome an obstacle. I love this game. Maybe it is because I was such a huge fan of the first one. I was willing to appreciate changes, as well as remember mechanics from its predecessor. My main point is that I like this game because of its difficulty, because of its latent plot, because of its bosses, and most importantly because of its humbling nature. You aren't some juggernaut who is unmatched in combat. Most enemies are better than you, hell, invasions make it apparent that other players are better than you. But when you finally succeed. After going through death, after death, after death. You can truly understand the effect the game has had on you. Buy this game. From has definitely outdone themselves. Expand
  30. Mar 19, 2014
    What you should realize, if you're looking at these reviews, is that this game is a very hard game. At times it is pointlessly cruel, cruel to an extent that I guarantee no other game series would dare to be.

So why should you play such a pointlessly cruel game? The point of Dark Souls II, and the Souls series in general, is to return to a period of time in gaming where victory was

So why should you play such a pointlessly cruel game?

The point of Dark Souls II, and the Souls series in general, is to return to a period of time in gaming where victory was not an assured thing. In the original Mario, if you weren't good, you didn't beat the game. That's the end of the story, you got good at Mario, or you didn't win. So it is with Dark Souls II. If you are like me, someone who has experienced the entire lifespan of Video Gaming, you've watched video games go from challenging you to complete them to practically ensuring that you win. To play Dark Souls II is to travel back in time and to experience "old-school" gaming. You may immediately realize why gaming as a whole moved away from the "You Lose, Game Over" level of challenge, as Dark Souls II will slaughter you in ways that are unfair, and then spit in your face and take your money away. But you also might realize (after you're done yelling and screaming) that no non-indie non-Souls game in the last few years has ever actually challenged you. I mean it, Souls games are a literal challenge. The developers are saying, "I made a mean, hard game. I think you are casual scum who calls themselves a Gamer but you couldn't beat the original Megaman with a gun to your head." Want to prove them wrong? Beat Dark Souls II.

My primary gripe with this game is that the game's mechanics punish you for not being good at Dark Souls II. Demon's Souls (the original) did this too, and I didn't like it then either. Each death reduces your health maximum. Yes, you can reverse this. Yes, you can lessen the penalty with a ring (if you have it). But there is something disturbing about the fact that the game will not only kill you, it'll get even harder because you died.

But even though it pisses me off, that's part of what makes Dark Souls II so glorious. This game is not your friend. It doesn't want to give you hope, it wants to take it away. This game doesn't even particularly want to tell a story (it has an interesting one, but it's not really the point). This game's mission is to be as hard as possible in the modern era where games practically beat themselves. And it succeeds. And as a true gamer, I salute From Software for allowing me to pull back the mists of time, and enjoy a challenging game.
  31. Mar 29, 2014
    Amazing game and a worthy sequel to one of the greatest games I've ever played. Some small negatives bring it down for me however, such as the simplification of the weapon upgrading systems and the un-inter-connectedness of the world, if that's a word, which it's not, i think. Penalties are lighter too, for abandoning covenants or killing npcs. I guess this is some of that accessibilityAmazing game and a worthy sequel to one of the greatest games I've ever played. Some small negatives bring it down for me however, such as the simplification of the weapon upgrading systems and the un-inter-connectedness of the world, if that's a word, which it's not, i think. Penalties are lighter too, for abandoning covenants or killing npcs. I guess this is some of that accessibility they were talking about. Last but definitely not least, a lot of the boss fights didn't grab me the same way as the first title, and the story isn't quite as interesting this time around either. Now, that's a lot of negatives for a 10 and that's because its a 9.5 but that option doesn't exist for some reason.
    Anyway the rest is brilliant. It was easier to list the negatives. Mechanically it's as refined and engaging as the first. The graphics are slightly improved with the lighting being the most notable improvement. The score is sparse and wonderful as usual. Multiplayer is great and there's more interesting ways to Pvp here than before. The new weapons, armors and magic look and feel great and the gameplay is still the most rewarding thing out there at the moment. Nothing like that rush of adrenaline when you escape a red phantom with your life just intact or finally fell the large beast you've been stuck on.
    Phew! Ok, well if you read all that thanks for your time, now go out there and buy this. peace.
  32. Apr 23, 2014
    Dark souls 2 delivers. It's better than DS1 and it's better than demon's souls.
    Ds2 has the same feel and same game mechanics that DS1 has but everything is little bit enchanced.
    Dark souls 2 delivers. It's better than DS1 and it's better than demon's souls.
    And a lot better curve on the difficulty of the game. DS1 became easy towards the end since your character got stronger. In DS2 you will find out that the bosses get harder and harder some occassional easy ones but still.

+ Better death penalty system
    + More bosses
    + better flask system
    - Some bosses feel pointless

If you have not played the earlier games of the serie then you need to know that:
    The games graphics are not the top of the old consoles but still has lots of beatifull scenes in it. They have actually focused on the gameplay instead of the graphics. same as with other games of the series. There is huge amount of stuff to discover and really great combat system. There's no room for mistakes when fighting bosses. The game has great re-play ability.

There's not many challenging games these days but Dark souls 2 delivers on that part.
  33. Jul 19, 2014
    While it's by no means a bad game; Dark Souls II, unfortunately, falls a long way short of the near perfect original Dark Souls. In terms of combat, world design, enemy design and boss design; Dark Souls II just doesn't live up to it's predecessor, or the hype generated prior to release. 10/10 for the cloth physics though :)
  34. Sep 4, 2014
    Difficulty and poor controls/ game play make me a very unsatisfied buyer. Games should be fun and no mind-numbing exercise in frustration. Shame on you Namco. I want my money back.
  35. Jan 28, 2015
    - Original Xbox graphics
    - Repetitive combat style, (4 possible slashes, 3 possible dodges, 1 block, and arrow shot. That's it.)
    - Combat relies on BAD AI. To win battles you have to perform actions like running around in a circle to dodge attacks until your health builds back up - Entire premise of the game is how often you can die (this is a supposed feature) - An online experience
    - Original Xbox graphics
    - An online experience that doesn't work (Gold member with 60hrs of play time, no PvP interaction)
    - No bonus for head shots, body part hits
    - NPCs have flawed speech and will ruin story and gameplay if you don't perform specific actions
    - Specific actions (killing NPCs or using key stones in the wrong place) will permanently destroy your future game
    - Only way to progress is literally looking up walk through, as you will be unable to pass levels without knowing why
    - Takes about 30% of the game before you can sell objects
    - Repairs actually don't mean anything, as they repair themselves at every bonfire
    - Zero revolutionary gaming aspects

Literally the WORST game I have every played. I tried to like it. But I am baffled as to why anyone would rate this. I can't express how angry I am that I paid $60 for this...WOW.

Have the positive reviewers been paid? The graphics literally are original Xbox , or PS1 quality.
  36. Aqu
    Mar 11, 2014
    If you were a fan of Dark Souls, you will love this game. It's even harder than the last, but less daunting at the start. It has a smooth transition into the game for new players, and veteran players like myself will feel right at home.
  37. May 14, 2014
    ok if you dont know what dark souls 1 is... well... save yourself some suffering and avoid this game, i only played the game offline... i dont know if online its the way its ment to be played, but man... after 3 hours i hated this game more than anything before in my life.... dry, lame, no music or inmertion feeling, monsters that one shot kill u, rolling doesnt save you, your shield worksok if you dont know what dark souls 1 is... well... save yourself some suffering and avoid this game, i only played the game offline... i dont know if online its the way its ment to be played, but man... after 3 hours i hated this game more than anything before in my life.... dry, lame, no music or inmertion feeling, monsters that one shot kill u, rolling doesnt save you, your shield works for nothing.... well... if you like DS1, this is your game,... i played it after DS2,.... and i hate that more.... Expand
  38. Apr 2, 2014
    DS1 was has an environment where you don’t matter to anyone or anything. It is a game where loneliness, melancholy, meaninglessness, and suffering are life - being spiritually undead…is your Life. To search for meaning in this world, to find hope in Dark Souls was made utterly impossible and in such a vacuum the immense battle challenges that were the game became your true source ofDS1 was has an environment where you don’t matter to anyone or anything. It is a game where loneliness, melancholy, meaninglessness, and suffering are life - being spiritually undead…is your Life. To search for meaning in this world, to find hope in Dark Souls was made utterly impossible and in such a vacuum the immense battle challenges that were the game became your true source of happiness (see: Camus - “Myth of Sisyphus”). The combination of atmosphere, high quality battle mechanics, and extreme difficulty combine to make a once in a gaming lifetime experience.

Dark Souls 2, on the other hand, fails from the get-go. The opening movie, for instance, tries to be vague but just comes off as stupid. The first interaction with the witches tries to be eerie but is forced and awkward. Even the tutorial embarrasses the Dark Souls name: it’s an unnecessarily long chore of “here’s a move, go try it on some dude.” Then, you just jump into the game and just start killing stuff with a lack of meaning that doesn’t mean anything - I legitimately found myself frequently zoning out mid-fight during the first few hours, something that never happened is DS1.

The idea was to make this game more “accessible” to the general public but that was exactly what made Dark Souls great . Game devo’s need to learn that sometimes, a great piece of art and massive appreciation are mutually exclusive entities. Frankly, it’s embarrassing to see what the new creative directors have done (Instead of Hidetaka Miyazaki, it is Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura a move almost assuredly motivated by profits). If you add a laugh track to “The Wire” or redo the Mona Lisa with cell shading, you alter something that was very integral to the experience - this is what happened here.

Anyways: if you still play the game, which I quit after five hours, here are my tips:

1. Put the game as dim as you are willing: it makes the game much more atmospheric, as well as more difficult but if you prefer ease over a quality atmosphere, you shouldn’t be playing this game in the first place.

2. When you sense you are falling into a vortex of masochism, take a break to A. Stretch B. Walk around and C. Take ten deep slow breaths.

3. Continually remind yourself that when you fail, it is your fault and not the game's.
  39. Mar 14, 2014
    My god they done again, another awesome souls game prepare to die over and over with a smile on your face, because you know that it was your fault not the game. Dark souls 2 is a sure buy for everyone looking for an adventure like no other. Now if you excuse i will continue to play this beast. Praise the sun!!
  40. Mar 14, 2014
    I hate this game but I also love it to bits. That was the magic that the first Dark Souls had, you hated it, you simply just hated it, but it has something that keeps you going and in the end you love it more than anything. With Dark Souls 2, its the exact same except better and the feelings are stronger the second time around. You'll die a lot, but you wont stop, nothing will stop youI hate this game but I also love it to bits. That was the magic that the first Dark Souls had, you hated it, you simply just hated it, but it has something that keeps you going and in the end you love it more than anything. With Dark Souls 2, its the exact same except better and the feelings are stronger the second time around. You'll die a lot, but you wont stop, nothing will stop you from finishing it and playing through it again. Expand
  41. May 5, 2014
    Update on the Update: Final Review

I am giving a final score of 2. I don't play online and I don't look at Wiki's, I enjoy the challenge of figuring everything out on my own. I spent two hours trying to figure out a way to stop poison from flowing into an area. Fireball didn't work, and my +10 Flame sword did not work........but my torch did. Just plain stupid....fire is fire, if I
    Update on the Update: Final Review

I am giving a final score of 2.

I don't play online and I don't look at Wiki's, I enjoy the challenge of figuring everything out on my own. I spent two hours trying to figure out a way to stop poison from flowing into an area. Fireball didn't work, and my +10 Flame sword did not work........but my torch did. Just plain stupid....fire is fire, if I can light it with my torch I should be able to light it with my fireball.

Bad graphics and fire/magic animations are brutal.
    Poor hit detection, I get hit and lose most of my health but no sound or controller "rumble".
    Visually I do not get hit, but I lose health. Full stamina button delays, especially on Estus flasks.
    Some buttons flow and can "stack" but others do not.
    Inventory animations looks like an early 90s RPG (Dark Souls Inventory Screen was perfect).
    Balance issues, you have to be so powerful to beat bosses that the regular enemies are too easy.
    Emerald Herald repeats herself every time, take away from immersion.
    I subtracted a whole point for having to chase down Crystal Lizards, having them cornered but still unable to hit them with certain weapons.
    Having to warp back to the Emerald Herald is a waste of time...I am over level 125....so over 125 warps and 125 times...seek greater souls.
    After playing single player, I wanted to play on-line......I did not have privileges. Apparently need Xbox Live Gold....
    Too much crap I will never use. I finally figure out the secret passage (or die 15 times trying to make a jump) to a chest and there is nothing useful inside....at least in Dark Souls the majority of the items you found were useful.

Like I said in my original review, if another company tried to ripoff the Dark Souls formula, this is what it would be.

Ongoing Sarcastic Comments:
    I actually warped to the Drangelic Wal-Mart. Believe it or not but their plastic toy weapons last longer than my +10 Blacksteel Katana.
    Drangleic, where magical fire from enemies burn you and only you. Friends of enemies get a little warmer but no damage.
    Emerald Herald "I'll tell you what buddy, I'll stop repeating myself when you collect the right souls. I don't care if I have to repeart myself 130 times. And I am not going to tell you where to go either, all I know is there is a forest down there and..........tell you what, I'll meet you at the castle, what castle you say? Well I am not going to tell you that."
    Job Posting for Covenant: We are the hardest covenant and will make your life a living hell. But don't worry, you will be well rewarded with stuff you already have!
    Straid (Voiced by Kingseeker Fampt) "I'll tell you what, you give me those souls from the bosses you killed and I will give you really crappy weapons. Well not really crappy, they are actually really cool to look at and use but I can't guarantee they will do very much damage. Ah man, I just can't lie to you, you are probably better off just using your +5 bandits knife.
    Straid cont'd: Oh and I have awesome spells....or they used to be awesome before you went and downloaded the update dumba$$.
    In Drangleic sometimes you take one sip or two sips of your estus flask. And sometimes not even at all.
    Drangleic, where only some of the environment is breakable. Massive support pillars yes, brown metal boxes...not so much.
    Drangleic, load up on VIT so can finally wear that cool armor and die in two shots anyways.
    Obviously the same company that built the walls in Lodran are the same company that built Drangleic. "You see this wall here? Yup, specially made so enemy weapons can slice through it like butter! Player weapons, no way Jose!!"
    Jump....don't roll don't roll don't roll....dammit.........meh I didn't need those souls anyway.
    Tee hee...I am lying on the ground and you can't hit me!!!
    Drangleic, where ladders are home free for the enemies.
  42. Mar 11, 2014
    Great Game, it's the pinnacle of how even when it comes to making a western looking game, the japanese are still better at game design.

the dark souls games are easily one of the only things that came from the ps3/360 generation.
  43. SBM
    Mar 21, 2014
    I'll try and keep this brief. If you liked Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, you'll like Dark Souls II. It's more refined and less opaque than it's immediate predecessor. I will say that the graphics are nearly identical to DS, and the visuals, (especially pertaining to character models) are outdated. However, this doesn't really bother me, and I doubt the fanbase cares about the quality of theI'll try and keep this brief. If you liked Demon's Souls or Dark Souls, you'll like Dark Souls II. It's more refined and less opaque than it's immediate predecessor. I will say that the graphics are nearly identical to DS, and the visuals, (especially pertaining to character models) are outdated. However, this doesn't really bother me, and I doubt the fanbase cares about the quality of the graphics. On to the good improvements: The covenant system is less confusing, stats are better explained, and the framerate issues from DS (looking at you, Blighttown) are gone. They have added several tools to help you tailor the level of difficulty to your personal preference. Don't get me wrong, the game is hard no matter what, but you can "tweak" the difficulty. If it's not hard enough already (for you masochists) there is a covenant you can join that significantly ups the challenge, there are also consumable items that increase the difficulty of your present area, as well as the returning new game+ feature. If you are having trouble you can summon aid from other players, and in some areas there are optional ways to ease your suffering. I won't get into too much detail, but these will be more apparent when playing for yourself. If you are worried about invasions from other players, I wouldn't be too concerned. I've only been invaded once so far, and it was in the Belltower area, which is something of a dedicated pvp area (much like the forest area in DS). I also have enjoyed the story more this time around (it's still as vague and mysterious as ever though) it just adds a bit more of a personal edge. In previous games you were just a "chosen undead", this time you are still afflicted by the curse of hollowing, but the price is more apparent in the plights of yourself and those sane undead you encounter on your journey. I can't say much more without venturing into spoiler territory, but if you want a challenge and enjoy the haunting atmosphere, get this game! Expand
  44. Mar 15, 2014
    if you call yourself hardcore gamer you definilty try this game. its a master piece for game industry, this game will not reward you for solving some puzzles with chickens (as other games do...), in fact, this game will never reward you, the players reward itselfs
  45. Mar 13, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 delivers an immense world full of challenging obstacles and bosses. The graphics display is quite beautiful compared to Dark Souls. Things such as health penalties, which reduce health upon each death (until health is restricted halfway), prove to make the game challenging but doesn’t get in the way for a person like me to enjoy the game (it can also be undone so don't worry).Dark Souls 2 delivers an immense world full of challenging obstacles and bosses. The graphics display is quite beautiful compared to Dark Souls. Things such as health penalties, which reduce health upon each death (until health is restricted halfway), prove to make the game challenging but doesn’t get in the way for a person like me to enjoy the game (it can also be undone so don't worry). In order to defeat enemies, figure out their patterns and attack when there's a viable opening. Boss battles are challenging so be prepared to die. Take a break every once in a while to prevent frustration builds up. For those coming into this game with no experience in Demon Souls or Dark Souls, I highly advise playing those games as well in order to adapt to this game, especially in terms of combat. Overall, I highly recommend this game and I’m sure many of you will find some enjoyment out of this experience.

Side note: The graphics aren't terrible (Response to User: Deusex) and for those who gave this game
    anything as low as a 0(Deusex), then this game is not for you.
  46. Mar 14, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is exactly what a fan expects from it: a huge game filled with shocking details! It's a game to be appreciated slowly, not to speed run like an insane! Just enjoy it!
  47. Mar 19, 2014
    I laugh at guys who give this game a zero. User Deusex think's he can mash R1 to victory and complains about low stamina. I'm sure he couldn't get past the tutorial section and rage quit.

Anyway, as a fan of the Souls series FROM doesn't disappoint me with their last game. It's a nice marriage between DeS and DKS 1. I love the warping between bonfires early on and cuts down on backtracking because the levels are fairly large and the game itself is huge!

Also when FROM said that this game was going to more accessible, I was a bit worried that the game would be dumb downed..well rest assured the game is much harder than DKS 1. The enemy AI is much improved and some of the are bosses pretty tough. Some bosses are a bit samey which I really didn't mind. Because DKS 1 had the same thing going on as well.

If you're a fan of the series, you'll love this game
  48. Mar 12, 2014
    Best game of the year so far,great gameplay and unique story.
    Dark Souls 2 is huge,so there are lots of places to explore and discover,but don't be so happy because this is a game for hardcore players,It's really hard.
    If you like RPGs with unique story and gameplay,you should try Dark Souls 2,specially if you like long games,be ready to spend 60+ hours playing this game.
  49. Mar 15, 2014
    Takes the same tried and true formula and amplifies it!!!!! Must buy GAME OF THE YEAR 2014........getting it again on the pc for much improved visuals............................................................
  50. Mar 13, 2014
    See the full review @ http://www.idiotbox.co.uk/dark-souls-2-review/

First off I’m going to start this off with a warning; you will not enjoy this game if you are a casual pick-up-and-play-wow-this-game’s-easy sort of gamer. This is a game designed by hardcore gamers for hardcore gamers and it is a job well done indeed! They say you should start as you mean to go on and Dark Souls II
    See the full review @ http://www.idiotbox.co.uk/dark-souls-2-review/

They say you should start as you mean to go on and Dark Souls II seems to take that idea and run with it! The word epic gets splashed around allot these days and I try not to overuse it but this is deserving of such a title, it is one of the most captivating and beautiful looking videos I’ve seen in a long time. They could make a movie out of it and I would watch the ever-loving crap out of it! At times I was actually struggling to decide whether the scenery was actual footage or just ridiculously well animated, either way it was something special. Now allot of the time when a game kicks off with a spectacle of an opening video the game fails to live up to expectations and while the visuals in the game are not quite as stunning as the video they are still absolutely nothing to be scoffed at! The backdrops especially are almost works of art and considering that one moment you may be wandering through a dank, claustrophobic and overgrown forest and the next you find yourself in a huge, open and bright ocean-view area it transitions perfectly and feels somewhat natural and right!

The gameplay itself is a relatively straight forward system but whereas most games give you a tutorial to start with and hold your hand while you practise Dark Souls II doesn’t have time for you **** nonsense, it gives you a brief tutorial covering the basics and a rough idea about what your main goal is and then… Well that’s it actually, then you’re on your own to explore, to fight and to die (you will die, you will die over and over again)

Let’s talk about death shall we? It’s no secret that Dark Souls wants to kill you. They outright tell you in the introduction that you’re going to repeatedly die and then laugh about it. Something which they fail to mention to you however is that every time you die you not only lose all the souls you’ve collected but you also lose a piece of your humanity and become a mere husk of a man. Not only does this mean that your body starts rotting away it also means that every time you come back to life you return with a smaller health bar, this carries on until you decided that you miss your humanity enough to use a human effigy to make yourself whole again. Sounds pretty simple right? Nope! Human effigies are a rarity so I personally found myself very begrudging to use one to restore myself. This adds a decent dynamic to the game as you have to weigh up whether you want to carry out struggling through with a half-sized health-bar and use the effigy when you desperately need it or use it now to become pretty again and then run the risk of being boned later when you meet one of the bigger meaner enemies.

The world itself is actually a relatively linear one with only one real main bath to the goal but it is done in such a way that there is always an extra route you can take or a location you can explore off the beaten track. This makes it feel like an open worlder and it genuinely does feel vast. Add to that the fact that absolutely everything wants to kill you (and is very good at doing so) then it adds excitement into the exploration side of it as you never actually know what you’re going to stumble across or how deadly it will be. My first example of learning the hard way was right at the start of the game in a forest that is generally only inhabited by the undead who are fairly easy to kill, I noticed a create down by the water so I thought I’d go attack it thinking it would be as easy as the undead. I hit it once and it picked me up and bit my head clean off in one fell swoop…

This was 10 minutes into the game…
  51. May 9, 2014
    I didn't understand nothing about this game play, is mostly what to do
    ...............................................................................
  52. Mar 14, 2014
    Oh Dark Souls...how I hate to love you.

9.6/10 It's Dark Souls with improvements, I was worried they would dumb it down for the masses but no it still has me questioning my sanity to why I love being beat down again and again and again, only to get back up and finally kill that SOB and feel like the king of the world, that's why dark souls 1 and 2 are amazing. Now as far as the
    Oh Dark Souls...how I hate to love you.

9.6/10

Now as far as the game goes my only complaint is, I wish they would've had completely original bosses from the first, Dragon Slayer, Dragon Rider same guy different paint pretty much. I know it's one but I know there are other repeats. Don't worry about losing health when you die, there's a ring that stops you from losing much, I died about 30 times in a row and didn't lose much. The travel system is really nice, (Almost too nice...) but it works out fine.

$60? If you enjoyed the first one then what are you waiting for?? Not for (insert any negative quality here) this game won't hold you're hand, it expects you to man up.

* same game as the first with improvements and some step backs don't expect to be blown away just expect to be in hell/rpg nirvana again.

*"for the curse of life, is the curse of want". Good luck :)
  53. Mar 25, 2014
    This game is amazing! A great sequel to the first game! This game is in every way better than Dark Souls 1. But dark souls 1 is still great! Anyway, If you liked this first game or demon's souls, you'll like this game. I don't see why people are giving this game negative reviews from fans. The game feels better than the first game, runs better, and has more to it. Plus the game is harderThis game is amazing! A great sequel to the first game! This game is in every way better than Dark Souls 1. But dark souls 1 is still great! Anyway, If you liked this first game or demon's souls, you'll like this game. I don't see why people are giving this game negative reviews from fans. The game feels better than the first game, runs better, and has more to it. Plus the game is harder and yet more accessible than the first game.

Now if you haven't played the first game don't be turned off by this game. It can be intimidating at first but you might be surprised by how rewarding the game is! Plus this game has something for everybody! Whether you like PvP, PvE, playing by yourself, help with areas from other people, or playing the game with the most difficulty as possible. You're bound to find something you like if you enjoy this game.

Overall this game is fantastic. Only issue with it would be that some bosses seem unfair. But usually there's ways around those issues. if you're a hardcore gamer/rpg fan you owe it to yourself to at least try the game. This game much like the first is the highlight of rpgs on the xbox 360 platform. And this is coming from someone who got all achievements on skyrim. And then I discovered the first game. Btw PRAISE THE SUN!
  54. Mar 20, 2014
    The best game experience I've had in a long, long time. Hugely satisfying. Even better, if just lightly than the two earlier games of the series. Take your time playing it. Highly recommended. Do chose a melee type character, as 100% range-based characters eliminate a great deal of the quality of the game.
  55. Mar 20, 2014
    Um lançamento desse nível para consoles já com poder gráfico ultrapassado é fantástico, além do fato de Dark Souls 2 ter mostrado uma evolução do primeiro jogo e ter ouvido os fãs, pois muitas das mudanças são pedidos de fãs da série. O jogo possui um grau de dificuldade maior, seja pela mudança de depois de um tempo os inimigos não nascerem novamente, evitando o avanço de nível no mesmoUm lançamento desse nível para consoles já com poder gráfico ultrapassado é fantástico, além do fato de Dark Souls 2 ter mostrado uma evolução do primeiro jogo e ter ouvido os fãs, pois muitas das mudanças são pedidos de fãs da série. O jogo possui um grau de dificuldade maior, seja pela mudança de depois de um tempo os inimigos não nascerem novamente, evitando o avanço de nível no mesmo local, ou pela inteligência artificial ter subido, ao ponto de um inimigo ser atacado, todos ao seu redor vão ajudar o inimigo, fazendo lutas um contra um, voltarem a ser um (você) contra todos daquele grupo.
    Vale a pena o jogo.
  56. Mar 18, 2014
    I think it was when I realized that after 2 hours and I was still struggling to defeat the Sentinels that I was hopelessly hooked...on dying...over and over again.
    This game has a way of making each and every decision count and Im already planning out my second play through so I dont make dumb decisions - like killing NPC's, trying that orange herb for "funzies" or joining the wrong covenant - sure i wished it would have come out on X1 or PS4 - but a game of this quality, depth, and emotional wrenching intrigue (mostly all anger from dying) - is rare in these days of short, uninspired games, made only to appease the mass market and not hardcore gamers that play games years after the "new smell" wears off.

Hats off to Software!
    fyi - if I dont beat those 3 bastards tonight I may revise my rating :)
  57. Apr 25, 2014
    Dark Souls II is difficult. In fact, it's probably the most difficult game I've ever played in my life, but I enjoyed every second of it.

While off-putting at first, Dark Souls II pulls you in with it's exacting gameplay, brutal difficulty and rewarding bosses, every time I finally defeated a beautifully designed boss I felt I actually accomplished something, and I can't say that for most games I've played.

One of my only gripes with the game is that at times it is difficult to know where to go next, while I respect that they don't explain much I wish that they would have at least given me a general direction of where to go next.

In my opinion, this is my first Game Of The Year contender for 2014.
  58. Dec 28, 2014
    I get it, its supposed to be tough and challenging. But there is a difference between tough and challenging and something that becomes dull and repetitive having to try the same thing over and over again. If I wanted dull, repetitive and challenging I would go to work.
  59. Mar 11, 2014
    Looking over Darksouls II, i can sum up my opinion of it in one word. FLAWLESS..........................................................................
  60. Mar 11, 2014
    Any negative comment is troll, or just some bad that cant beat something, ill admit the hit detection is bad atm but they will fix it like they did with the first game. Great game, worth the 60$
  61. Mar 11, 2014
    I am long timer Souls fan. I enjoyed the original Demon Souls and Dark Souls. I own a copy of Dark Souls on every platform and have logged over 100+ hours. Dark Souls 2 does not disappoint. Art direction is amazing (lots of light, lots of color, lots of variation), combat is fluid and executes quicker, enemies set traps for you (very creative From!), etc. I could go on but I won't. MostI am long timer Souls fan. I enjoyed the original Demon Souls and Dark Souls. I own a copy of Dark Souls on every platform and have logged over 100+ hours. Dark Souls 2 does not disappoint. Art direction is amazing (lots of light, lots of color, lots of variation), combat is fluid and executes quicker, enemies set traps for you (very creative From!), etc. I could go on but I won't. Most reviews cover the good stuff anyway. Most importantly though, you need to buy a copy of the game and immerse yourself fully. This is the game I have been waiting for. Expand
  62. Mar 14, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic game worthy of the series and my early contender for GOTY 2014. Rarely, if ever, does a sequel capture the magic of it's predecessors, but DS 2 does that in spades. I don't understand the people who go into the Demon/Dark Souls games expecting an "Elder Scrolls" experience. Then they go on various message boards, like this one, and trash the games. It's akin toAn absolutely fantastic game worthy of the series and my early contender for GOTY 2014. Rarely, if ever, does a sequel capture the magic of it's predecessors, but DS 2 does that in spades. I don't understand the people who go into the Demon/Dark Souls games expecting an "Elder Scrolls" experience. Then they go on various message boards, like this one, and trash the games. It's akin to biting into an apple and being mad it doesn't taste like an orange. Ignorance truly is bliss. Expand
  63. Mar 12, 2014
    This is how you make a game, tons of depth and things to do. Engaging combat, and great boss battles. The negative reviews must be from people who clearly played the game for a few hours and judged the game on a very small portion of it. Best game of the year so far.
  64. Mar 11, 2014
    what can i say more than it's the best game ever made in this industry
    thank you fromsoftwere to give me this experience
    thank you dark souls you are the best
  65. Apr 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is by far the worst game I have ever played. Not because it is difficult is by fact quite easy, not as hard as the original. Because it simply has the most flaw out any game I have ever played.

The UI is a mass of broken functions. If I am holding 99 a maximum of an item, yet I go to collect from a source which has tow items. I have to destroy some of the the maximum item in order to collect the other item of importance. Changing smooth stones at the nest is done slowly, one at a time. Inventory doesn't register any items, which have been placed in the item box. So if I collect an item present in my item box, it won't register that I already have this item. Boss souls which are traded for weapons won't register, if I am holding that same weapon, unlike other items which tell you specifically how many held within inventory. Spells cannot be traded for souls, these collect numerous uses but unlike every other item, they cannot be traded for souls. With spells they have to be painstakingly destroyed as they numerous fill inventory.. Bonfires are reset when traveling between them replenishing all uses and health. Although when using a spell, or item, to travel to a bonfire, this will not replenish any health, or uses without additionally resting again. Items when using functions keys if using only a single item, on a function key, they can go blank creating error. Targeting is within a stones throw of opposing damage, within weapon range. Everything can be avoided from roll away so this system is quite stupid. Targeting has it own set of error after setting a target, this will auto change if facing another direction. There is manual change after setting a target but the computer can auto change. Some weapons won't fire at close range like other item of exactly the same category in error.

The AI are all really stupid. Most can be played round the round about with leading them up and down stairs by dropping off, or around chest ,as they get stuck having to go all the way around never hitting. Some will walk away after engaging returning to their spawns. Some will randomly attack at nothing when not the vicinity of them. Many bosses are identically are the same containing very few differences. Summoned AI are retarded getting stuck, dying to environment hazards, falling down holes, and not entering encounter that they have been summoned for.

Attributes are grossly miscalculated. Seeing huge gains at the start of character creations per level per attribute. These drop rapidly upon any later levels. To the point it is not worth gaining 49 levels from 50-99 on set attributes because you will likely only see and additional point of damage per level. Any efforts are all wasted. meaning at level 99 I am only doing roughly 49 extra points of additional damage then that level 50 was. When they are using the same weapon and gear. There is no gained gear from maximizing stats. IE the same options are acquired 39 levels previously.

Some Items will cancel other items outside of their descriptions. Some items will make boss encounters ridiculously easy to the point of pointless. Other items mean a level 10 will do only 100 points of less damage then a level 50.

Some descriptions are worded wrong. In particular all of the resonant casting range. This states the more souls acquired will see a damage increases. However this is not the case when after collecting a set amount of souls there is no damage gained.

PVP is boring because everybody is using the same items, gear, and spells there is no distinction to any of them. PVP can be quite annoying when being invaded. When trying to go to a get to a boss and waiting to summon other players, or be summoned, or simply trying to survive a level. The seed of giants don't reverse effect. When invaded by other players they are not equally attacked by any creatures within your environment unless using this item, which means you will also get as attacked when trying to reach them. An invader can attack you when in combat with other enemies.

In short this is the worse game, I have ever played. Definitely not a contender for GAME OF ANY YEAR. Rated 0 a blight on any culture, a complete waste of time, containing so many flaws.
  66. Mar 12, 2014
    This game is fantastic,the story,sound,gameplay and art are all unique.
    If you enjoyed Dark Souls you'll love this game,just like Dark Souls,Dark Souls 2 is really hard,but It's fair,so the pleasure for hardcore gamers will be great.
  67. Apr 8, 2014
    I'm updating my review for Dark Souls 2 - because my initial review included some inaccurate information.

This game is very similar to the previous games Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. In certain ways it is more like Demons Souls in the overall feel of the game - but like Dark Souls it has improved multi-player capabilities with interconnected worlds, although areas not as connected or impressive as Dark Souls was.

The main thing that has changed are the summoning functions. There are now two soapstones which allow you to be summoned by other players - a small one and a large one. The small one takes you into another players world for a limited mount of time, about 5 min, usually allowing them to navigate from one area to the next, inside the larger area. Once completed you will receive a smooth shiny stone you can exchange for goodies. The large soapstone is more similar to previous games where you join another player and help them beat the level - But this one is also on a timer. I've had numerous times when I was returned to my game during a boss fight or just on the verge of one, leaving the other player stranded.

Also summoning other players is no longer based on soul level (in previous games if you were within 10 levels of another player you could summon each other) but on number of total souls collected. The bad side to the changes is that it will be virtually impossible to play with your friends unless you all create characters at the same time and only use them when playing together. I prefer the level based cooperative in previous games where I tried to keep my soul level low and upgrade my gear so I could help new players and protect them from trolls. The new system encourages you to spend your souls and level up quicker and takes some of the strategy out of the game IMO - it also results in summoning a diversity of different toons with vastly varying gear and skill sets. I'd also prefer if the large soapstone was not timed, it often feels like your abandoning someone when your time is up, and if you're on the other end, having your crew disappear during a boss fight often ends in death.

The good thing about cooperative play is if you die you don't loose your souls, so you can approach cooperative play as a way to farm the area for souls and help someone else out at the same time. If you try farming an area for souls you will find that soon the enemies stop spawning, but throw down your sign and you can continue and do a good deed at the same time :)

In all the souls games I enjoy assisting others more than I enjoy beating the levels - so overall I like the changes. I find it more difficult to play with friends and will have a lot more trouble getting through the game as a SL1 - but if you liked the previous games - you'll like this one. Now if I can just stop playing this and get some laundry done I'll survive.
  68. Jun 2, 2014
    One of my fav. games of the past 5 years. Very rarely do I spend well over 200 hours on a game and thirst for more. It's not perfect - hit detection can be off, and pvp is unbalanced overall. But I cannot give it less than a 10 when I know I'll be consistently playing this for at least the next 3 months (probably 6).
  69. Mar 18, 2014
    Best game since the first a torch in the fog of game mediocrecy. I hope developers are taking notes cous this is what a modern rpg should be.thank you FROM SOFTWARE for never taking the elder scrolls path games should be a challenge :)
  70. Mar 12, 2014
    1 thing to say, Darth Maul Sword.

Positives: Ok so its not a light-saber, but it is a dual sided sword you can swing around like Darth Maul. That alone should be reason enough to pick up this game not to mention the massive amount of content that follows. This game is a mixture between Demon's/Dark souls while at the same time having elements that are singular to this 3rd game, like
    1 thing to say, Darth Maul Sword.

Positives:
    Ok so its not a light-saber, but it is a dual sided sword you can swing around like Darth Maul. That alone should be reason enough to pick up this game not to mention the massive amount of content that follows. This game is a mixture between Demon's/Dark souls while at the same time having elements that are singular to this 3rd game, like the aformentioned dual blade. You can fast travel between bonfires which act like the archstones in Demon's souls but are free to explore the open world like in Dark souls as well.

This is not only the most massive iteration of the series, its also the best graphically almost as much of a leap as between the first 2 games. Its also the most well crafted of the three. The themes make more sense in this game. Where can you find titanite, well its in a cavern as it should be. And the places you explore are much more varied and awe inspiring, even more so than the original Dark Souls, (and that's saying something!).

There are about 10 times more bosses in this game which are also much more creative and varied. There are better and more variation in weapons and combat. The armor/character/enemy designs are better and the combat itself is more challenging since you can't just spam back stabs anymore. Its amazing how this game seems to top its predecessor in almost every aspect.

Negatives:
    Its definitely the hardest of the 3. frustratingly so at times
    The only gripes I have are that hidden walls are no longer just there for you to find, and instead you "pay" to reveal hidden areas with a certain item in the game. Also the fact that you can fast travel is actually a bit disorienting since you often forget where the various sub-paths are located. Also some of the actual progress in the game is done by exhausting every dialogue from NPC's which can be a bit confusing and forces you to listen to their (sometimes not so interesting) conversations. Also just in general the NPC dialogue is not as good as it was in dark souls, but that's probably the only thing that is worse.

Overall this is definitely the best of the 3 Souls games, and offers more than enough new mechanics to satisfy even the hardcore Dark Souls veterans. A must buy for fans of the series. Because Darth Maul Sword.

9.5/10
  71. Mar 13, 2014
    I love the series but I m little disappointed.I think there is a step back regarding the graphics.Now the game run at 60 fps on Xbox 360 but the resolution is lower than the first Dark Soul.We ll see the Pc edition.
  72. Jul 21, 2014
    this game sucks so bad.
    i'm totally glad I didn't pay for it.
    games like this are the reason I bootleg my games. the buttholes push this garbage on us and say it's gold and people eat it up. I must admit I fell for all the hoopla, and downloaded it, but to my dismay, I hate it. it's like it's unfinished or something. There is NO SAVE feature. something that people who have lives
    this game sucks so bad.
    i'm totally glad I didn't pay for it.
    it's like it's unfinished or something.
    There is NO SAVE feature. something that people who have lives actually need.
    that ALONE should be enough to make people stop and think.

I don't feel bad for making copies of this game because it is garbage and the only way i'll ever give Namco any of my money is... hey, i'll NEVER give Namco another dime.
    HOW IS NAMCO STILL ALLOWED to make games?
    dark souls II my butt.
    I hate this game.
    people give it high ratings because they don't have anything else to play, or it is as close to the lives they will never actually have that they want. like when people play those crappy tomb raider games, but reality those games suck too and they only play them because they like laura croft. im not gay or a lame, so I can speak my mind.

this game is GARBAGE STAY AWAY FROM IT
  73. Mar 11, 2014
  74. Mar 16, 2014
    A few things flat out ruin the game and render it unplayable. You can warp from the get-go, thus destroying any sense of travel, danger, or dread. The bosses are poorly designed and forgettable, and their over-abundance causes you to over-level and make the game boring. You have to return to the Emerald Herald to level up, thus destroying any immersion and atmosphere built by theA few things flat out ruin the game and render it unplayable. You can warp from the get-go, thus destroying any sense of travel, danger, or dread. The bosses are poorly designed and forgettable, and their over-abundance causes you to over-level and make the game boring. You have to return to the Emerald Herald to level up, thus destroying any immersion and atmosphere built by the zones.There is no story. "You'll die a lot and lose your souls" "Seek larger souls" thanks a lot, why not give me some direction or purpose in the game so I don’t feel like I’m clearing areas for the sake of clearing areas.There is no back-story. The original Dark Souls had a back-story that was told in a cutscene and visually in the world. Dark Souls 2 has no such backstory which causes the placement and order of the zones to feel disjointed and arbitrary. I really can’t believe how flaccid and half-baked Dark Souls 2 is. Expand
  75. Jul 3, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is the biggest piece of garbage of a game ever created. SERIOUSLY DUE NOT BUY THIS GAME OR SUPPORT THE COMPANY IN ANY WAY. Everything about this game is broken. The camera is garbage. The lock on mechanics don't work and the hit detection is so bad that the game gets to be unplayable.

Dark Souls had always advertised that it is a hard game well it is not what it is is incredibly cheap. It is like FromSoftware ran out of idea's and thought hey how can we make this game seem hard? Oh I know at any point we can we will make the game so frustratingly cheap that it will seem difficult. Add this with virtually every system in the game being broken and poorly designed and you have something that is basically unplayable and beyond frustrating.

You no longer get that sense of accomplishment from beating a boss now your just thankful that it is over because all you did was die 20 times to memorize all the animations of the enemies and lucked out that the game got stuck in a loop of animations that let you get the upper hand. Worst of all 90% of my deaths didn't come from bosses they came from cheap encounters in the environment so there really was never a sense of accomplishment. The only difficult boss I found was because was because the designers thought that it would be ok to put a boss fight on a ledge with a hole in the middle and have all the boss's moves knock me back. He never once actually killed me the falls from being knocked back or rolling out of the way did.

This leads to the absolute worst part of the game. Poor level design. The best example of this is the numerous levels they included that were flooded with water. Not only can I not move well but I either faced enemies who could kill me with a hit or two which you can no longer dodge thanks to the water or they included ranged enemies that will kill you before you can even reach them. That right there is not fun and leads to controller smashing frustration.

Playing this game is like playing a game with your friends who are obviously cheating to win but you can't do anything about it you just lose and have to live with it. This game is a waste of money and unless you have the most patience of anyone I ever met you will likely get to a point in the game which you cannot get past and for me if a game is made in a way that makes it so you cannot keep playing than it is not a good game.
  76. Apr 24, 2014
    I previously made a por review after playing 10 hours. Now after reintroducing myself back into DS and getting away from the FPS raging I can give a more, intelligent response to the game. It is the most amazing game I've ever played. I never thought I'd see a game better than Demon Souls, but they did it. Over 200 hours of play on my first character and still going strong, cant getI previously made a por review after playing 10 hours. Now after reintroducing myself back into DS and getting away from the FPS raging I can give a more, intelligent response to the game. It is the most amazing game I've ever played. I never thought I'd see a game better than Demon Souls, but they did it. Over 200 hours of play on my first character and still going strong, cant get enough. I truly hope they decide to continually make more Souls games! There are the best games ever made and I'm absolutely obsessed with them. Recommend you buy not only Dark Souls 2, but play them all. This is a series you wont want to have missed out on! Expand
  77. Mar 16, 2014
    Brutally soul crushingly awesome. As with each iteration on the "Souls" franchise, certain aspects evolve and others stay the same. The game does not shy away from challenge, but it is still fair in most cases, and most death can still be avoided by informed, careful play. Certain elements that have changed can initially be confusing, but once you understand the new world, it all worksBrutally soul crushingly awesome. As with each iteration on the "Souls" franchise, certain aspects evolve and others stay the same. The game does not shy away from challenge, but it is still fair in most cases, and most death can still be avoided by informed, careful play. Certain elements that have changed can initially be confusing, but once you understand the new world, it all works very well. Just be prepared for a few hours of trial and error to find the NPCs and some decent equipment.

Do not be fooled by any of the talk about "accessibility". This game is as brutally unforgiving as any in the series. There is a quick section at the beginning with stone markers that give control tips thus keeping you from the frustration of simply not understanding the controls, but you will get smacked around just as quickly there as any other place if you aren't careful.

Lack of next gen, the reuse of sound effects from Dark Souls and a few just plain annoying sounds (running the dry grass) are about the only things I might point out as possible downsides. All around as interesting, challenging and satisfying as the first two titles. A must have for fans and those willing to work through the initial challenge of just figuring out what the heck is going on to find the amazing jewel of a game within.
  78. Mar 14, 2014
    Dark Souls 2. It ain't no candy crush.

I figure there are two types of folks who would consider buying this game: people who loved the first two titles of the 'Souls' series, and people who heard about the hype over the first game and it's notoriety for being rock hard. For the former, all I will say is PLAY THIS GAME. It's faithful to the challenging nature and tight gameplay of the
    Dark Souls 2. It ain't no candy crush.

For the former, all I will say is PLAY THIS GAME. It's faithful to the challenging nature and tight gameplay of the other titles. You will probably enjoy this game.

To anyone else, just consider what you're getting yourself into. If you're the kind of player who loves the euphoric feeling of toppling difficult challenges, you will like this series. If you find yourself somewhat impatient, and not willing to put up with a steep learning curve, then you might want to skip it.

Either way the game is oozing with dark atmosphere. The world of DS2 is not a friendly place, and the world itself feels like it's decaying...falling away into pertetual darkness as it's denizens have all turned into undead monstrosities, or have accepted their own numbing fate as they stand upon the coast watching a sunset that never ends.

The tightness of the combat has returned, and while I can't say what the PvP scene is like this early...I think it will be promising. This may very well be the title that keeps the Xbox / PS3 multiplayer scene alive for years to come. We shall see.
  79. Mar 17, 2014
    WTF? Usually a sequel enhances what made the original so good. Not here. Feels like a totally different game. Every change is for the worse. Feels more like Fable than Dark Souls. Graphics, combat, character models and movement and overall pacing and experience is off. Whoever forced these changes at FROM SOFTWARE should lose their job. Don't let this garbage define Dark Souls. MyWTF? Usually a sequel enhances what made the original so good. Not here. Feels like a totally different game. Every change is for the worse. Feels more like Fable than Dark Souls. Graphics, combat, character models and movement and overall pacing and experience is off. Whoever forced these changes at FROM SOFTWARE should lose their job. Don't let this garbage define Dark Souls. My recommendation (for old and new players, alike), go back and play Dark Souls 1. Every detail is DS1 was done with care. This thing... like I exclaimed, WTF. Score: 2 (compared to original which I would give a 10). What a disappointment. Expand
  80. Mar 31, 2014
    Simply the worst game i have ever played EVER! This over rated, over hyped, outdated garbage.
    The Game play is simply awful, it's lazily designed, slow, clunky, irresponsive, downright unfair, boring, tedious and repetitive. The entire game is built around trial and error game play, a game design that should have died out decades ago. Sadly however the talentless designers decided to go down this route because their fanbase clearly don't want games that make them use their brains but a game that makes you do the same tedious crap over and over again until either by luck or some very contrived circumstance you progress. However the game can't even get this right! Because every time you die you lose some of your maximum health bar! You also lose all your currency! You have one chance to regain your souls/currency and you'll usually be cheated out of this too. This awful game has completely contradicting game mechanics that just sum up how bad and lazy this game is. Instead of these being options for experienced players they are forced on you, alieniating people who are trying to play for the first time. Is there a tutorial for people new to the series sort of, but you wouldn't know it because the badly made tutorials are hidden in dark caves with a mist covered entrance and appear to be something spooky that should be avoided until you think you're ready, but no, you can actually go in there and learn...nothing really just what buttons do what, just as described in the manual. Not a proper tutorial just a lazy...something. The stamina bar wrecks the entire game with its excessive restrictions, it is the equivalent of a 90 year olds one remaining asthmatic lung that has been cigar smoked 24/7 and has been exposed to every pollutant of the industrial revolution and has asbestosis. Your character starts out completely incompetent, a very lazy way of adding depth and progression to this rubbish, as is the case with most RPG's and it takes hours of repetitive grinding to progress your character just to make the game remotely playable, sort of. Even then it doesn't get any better because the enemies have an assortment of cheat moves to pull off, cheap deaths cover this **** game and there plenty of traps that you can never see coming, you simply die and have to start again, over and over again.
    The challenge in this game does not come from intelligent A.I., well designed puzzles that test your problem solving skills or any form of strategy or tactics, this game is not aimed at that sort of audience. This games artificial difficulty comes from the fact that it is a mindless grind of boring repetitive combat that is usually won by exploiting the games crappy A.I. or by hoping that the game will actually respond in time to your button presses and NO this is not about good timing or reflexes, but by hoping that your commands actually push through the clunky, clumsy 'design' if you can even call it that. You will constantly roll out of an enemies offence only to lose most of your health anyway.
    Exploration usually results in some cheap death from a trap you can never see coming or do anything about once sprung, you simply die and start over.
    There is no real puzzle solving either, just wandering around until you find some item and use it in the right place, again requiring no intelligence just the patience to do the same crap over and over again until you progress.
    The Story: What story? I don't play games for the story line and this game is a prime example of why. You start of as a nobody in the land of....i don't know, undead world or something. You have no purpose and it all goes nowhere! It's nonexistent. The only bits of a story you get are from talking to the badly voice acted, boring and depressing NPC's, but the only reason to speak to them is because if you talk to them enough they usually give you some sort of useful item. It's forced, uninteresting and pathetic, lazy design again! The world is lifeless and there is no motivation to save it, if that even is the point of it, who knows? I don't even think the developers know what this was all about.
    The Graphics: For a game released in 2014 it is laughably bad! It has not been optimised, it looks bad, muddy and lazy. It has a distinct lack of Vertical-Synchronisation the screen is constantly torn as you move the camera. At least the camera functions properly, though, that's the only positive in the game.

This game gets a zero because it is awful in every way! The difficulty is entirely artificial, not born from clever design, but from cheap tricks that only come from truly talentless developers. Everything in it is bad and unrewarding, not once did i feel a sense of reward as i played this game. This game is a collection of everything that should have died out in game design a long time ago and most of it never should have existed. Truly awful! An absolute never buy, it is pure **** on a disk (or hard drive.) With no redeeming value at all.
  81. Mar 15, 2014
    this game is hard!
    ...........................................................................
    the graphics is not good...............................
  82. Dec 2, 2014
    Игра без сюжета с тупым ссаным управлением. Полная срань. Игра для школьников-садомазохистов, которым нравится запах жареного пукана и сектантов, которые любят искать сюжет там где его нет. 0 из 10.
  83. Mar 11, 2014
    Its **** great! h h hh h hh h h hh h h h h h hh h h h h h h h h h h h hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhffffffffffffffffff
  84. Mar 23, 2014
    A third person fantasy game, where It pushes you to it's limits.
    Pros:
    Graphics are a nice touch. Sense of danger. And basically feels like your stuck in hell and the only way to get out is to kill everyone in front of you, and if you die, you try again. Cons: No real story. Bad voice acting. Unrealistic gameplay and stamina use. Lifeless world and NPCs. Bad facial animations.
    A third person fantasy game, where It pushes you to it's limits.
    Pros:
    Graphics are a nice touch.

Cons:
    No real story.
    Bad voice acting.
    Unrealistic gameplay and stamina use.
    Lifeless world and NPCs.
    Bad facial animations.
    Unrewarding.
  85. Nov 3, 2014
    by far the worst game I have ever played. it fails in every respect. don't know who thought it was a good idea to make a game like this
    First off the graphics are last gen. have never played a 360 game with such poor textures. so much more could have bee put in in terms of making the game pretty, but in the end it just reflects a lazy design team that didn't try.
    secondly, the gameplay
    secondly, the gameplay is generic and pointless. It is 100 hour of unrewarding leveling, overpowered enemies and poor lighting every where, with linear enviroments that don't offer much in the way of alternate routes or decision making a open world game is suppose to. The enviromental design is just as poor. It is defined by generic rubble, underwhelming sceneries in which are boring and lacking of details that should give the game life and character. The combat is a generic, slow roll and hack mess that gets old fast. The enemies are usually just copy and paste variants of one another, where they pointlessly advance, hack and repeat, not using any advanced tactics or balancing mechanics. gameplay often dissolves into pressing b for 10 minutes, hacking, repeating. every boss looks different, but ultimately is just a new skin upon a lackluster, overpowered, stupid AI. There is no point why everything is OP and then you are punished for dying by losing all your souls, and permanent health, even though the game is defined by dying. It makes the game fustrating, dull, and unplayable as you fall into a pointless of dying over and over without getting anything back for the $60 you spent.
    The story could have been the saving for this game, but sadly it suffers just as many vital flaws. The quests are boring fetch quests often, or otherwise completely vague and ambiguous to the point where you think you are playing the mad ravings of a chronic mental masturbater. The storyline is pretty much nonexistent, and when you do get scraps of it, you find a morbid, depressing world, and pretty much no motivation on continuing other than just to try and prove to yourself you didn't just waste $60.
    overall, this is an overrated, poor, lazy and otherwise wasteful game that gives no emotional reward, and instead resigns to drive the player to insanity, and broken controllers. Should never be played by anyone.
  86. Apr 7, 2014
    If you even remotely liked either Demon Souls of Dark Souls, then this is a definite purchase. There is so much here to be had for $60. After "The Last of Us," I wasn't sure there would be another game worthy of a "10" rating... at least not on the PS3 or last gen consoles. This game is so incredibly difficult, but so satisfying when you triumph over an enemy that you attempted to kill 30If you even remotely liked either Demon Souls of Dark Souls, then this is a definite purchase. There is so much here to be had for $60. After "The Last of Us," I wasn't sure there would be another game worthy of a "10" rating... at least not on the PS3 or last gen consoles. This game is so incredibly difficult, but so satisfying when you triumph over an enemy that you attempted to kill 30 times before it. This is a true RPG. The great thing about this series, is that you can go back and play and replay the first Dark Souls and Demon Souls and still have that feeling of accomplishment. If you are an impatient gamer, then this game will temper you. Other game's difficulties are laughable at this point. This is the only RPG that truly makes you think about when and how to upgrade certain character statistics. Prepare to die... MORE. You have to love this game! I think about it even while at work... now that's saying something. Expand
  87. Apr 6, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic game. Sits in a great place gameplay wise right between Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, but is much more accessible to players new to the franchise. It's difficulty has a steep learning curve and a high ceiling, but is almost never unfair. Graphics-wise, it's not wonderful, but the aesthetics are fantastic and well crafted. Enemies, weapons and armor all fit seamlesslyAbsolutely fantastic game. Sits in a great place gameplay wise right between Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, but is much more accessible to players new to the franchise. It's difficulty has a steep learning curve and a high ceiling, but is almost never unfair. Graphics-wise, it's not wonderful, but the aesthetics are fantastic and well crafted. Enemies, weapons and armor all fit seamlessly into the universe with a great eye for detail.

PvP is also great; improved from the first game in most areas. Some things need work; for example the economy of PvPing with single use, hard to farm items is very weak, and could use some help. There are certainly some builds that need tweaking, but all-in-all, this game is excellent.

Praise the Sun!
  88. Apr 1, 2014
    As awesome as the first game but with better PvP (dedicated servers!) and an even bigger world.. what's not to love? Game of the Year contender for sure - I'll be playing this for a very long time
  89. Mar 16, 2014
    Fixes all the little things that I did not like in Dark Souls 2. Multiplayer is more strongly encouraged through killing farming methods (monsters stop respawning after a while, unless you put something in the local bonefire).

Covenants are brilliant and really fun, graphics have been really improved and it seems like a longer experience too. I am really having a blast playing this game, and I find it hard to get excited about any other game at the moment, like Demon's Souls and Dark Souls before, you will want an exclusive relationship with this game.
  90. Mar 22, 2014
    I just beat Dark Souls 2 after 47 hours of play and I must say...This is a great game. It was challenging and rewarding. I never felt like I was getting screwed over. If I died, it is because I did something wrong, and not the fault of the game or its mechanics. The length of the game was on par with where I thought it would be, and the new game plus adds even more depth (when I startedI just beat Dark Souls 2 after 47 hours of play and I must say...This is a great game. It was challenging and rewarding. I never felt like I was getting screwed over. If I died, it is because I did something wrong, and not the fault of the game or its mechanics. The length of the game was on par with where I thought it would be, and the new game plus adds even more depth (when I started new game plus, I immediately ran into a brand new enemy type in Things Betwixt).

First of all, there are a few changes that some people have been critical of. One of them is the fact that your maximum health bar goes down every time you die. The way that you remedy this problem is by consuming the human effigy item that find throughout the game. People have complained that these effigies are too few and that this change from Dark Souls is frustrating. I will tell you that at the time that I beat the game, I had 33 human effigies in my inventory and I used at least one before every boss to maximize my health bar. These effigies are found on many enemy types, and can be found for purchase in at least 3 different areas. I felt like I was finding too many of these items.

Another thing people have been critical of is the difficulty of some of the bosses...THIS IS DARK SOULS!!! If you want a casual experience, do not play the game. What separates Demon/Dark Souls away from other games is the difficulty level. I actually felt that Dark Souls was much harder than 2, but that is just my opinion.

As far as the graphics issue that people are complaining about, if you have a problem with the graphics on a PS3 or 360, then wait until it comes out on PC and play it on that. Surely the textures will look better and you can pop your graphics hard on in your pants. I never once thought the graphics were an issue. I thought the game looked creepy and beautiful at the same time. The frame rate was fantastic and ran very smoothly. I would rather have slight downgrade in graphics for a top notch experience, but that's just me.

To sum it all up, this is a great game. If you love difficult games, or RPG's that don't baby you through your gaming experience, then this game is going to make you very happy. If you like to find fault in everything, complain about difficult games because you can't smoke a J and then casually play, or rip your hair out when you are not playing the most amazing graphics running on the world's fastest super computer. then go play Titanfall or something, and leave the real gaming to the real gamers.
  91. Mar 30, 2014
    Just an awesome follow-up to the amazing DS1. If you're patient and want to experience extreme satisfaction in a game this is for you. Not for the easily discouraged or thoughtless gamer.
  92. Mar 15, 2014
    The game doesn't quite live up to the standard of the original but there's still plenty here to like. The main reason is that your success in DS2 is a lot less reliant on skill despite Fromsoft making the game harder. As far as negative aspects go the hit detection is shocking - many deaths result in the enemy hitting thin air. Another problem is that the invincibility frames for rollingThe game doesn't quite live up to the standard of the original but there's still plenty here to like. The main reason is that your success in DS2 is a lot less reliant on skill despite Fromsoft making the game harder. As far as negative aspects go the hit detection is shocking - many deaths result in the enemy hitting thin air. Another problem is that the invincibility frames for rolling have been greatly reduced to the point of feeling non-existent. Surely this can only reduce the amount of viable builds and reduce your flexibility in playing the game. More importantly though it's a kick in the face to players who put skill into mastering this high risk tactic especially for PvP and PvE now many light shields no longer have 100% damage reduction.. The last main flaw is that enemies stop re-spawning to prevent farming. To me this makes no sense because no one liked farming in the first place - receiving the item was your reward for hours of mundane work. Now it's a major set back in achieving your desired weapon and hampers experimentation with weapons and tactics due to item scarcity.

As far as positive aspects the locations and visuals are improved and the world feels a lot more mysterious. Some of the music is really great and it would be nice to see them have music playing during more gameplay as it really adds atmosphere to the game. 4 ring slots - YES! And plenty of cool new weapons, armour and CAPES!! They do some really cool flashback things in game which i think really added to the story and I'd like to see them incorporate more of this in future games.

All of this makes a solid game however you'll still leave the game with a feeling that DS1 was more fun and rewarding to play, despite the many improvements that could have been made to it. Many of the changes were in favour of PvP play, but it feels like Fromsoft is forgetting that the game at heart is a PvE experience.
  93. Apr 15, 2014
    Aside from a few minor bugs and some pvp issues, the game is great. I've only played Demon Souls prior to this and I would say it's just as fun. However, I think the game could have been made better if it had a low 150-200 level cap, instead of a near infinite one. This would have greatly made PvP better and added to the longevity of the game.
  94. Jun 25, 2014
    The original Dark Souls stands not only as one of the best games of the last generation, but perhaps one of the greatest games ever made. Its atmosphere, gameplay, and difficulty made it an experience unlike any other before it. In this regard, Dark Souls II had large shoes to fill. Thankfully, FromSoftware’s latest entry into the series successfully rekindles the magic of the first gameThe original Dark Souls stands not only as one of the best games of the last generation, but perhaps one of the greatest games ever made. Its atmosphere, gameplay, and difficulty made it an experience unlike any other before it. In this regard, Dark Souls II had large shoes to fill. Thankfully, FromSoftware’s latest entry into the series successfully rekindles the magic of the first game by advancing its gameplay and accessibility.

One excellent aspect of Dark Souls II is its gameplay. The Souls series is known for its impeccable mechanics, and Dark Souls II is no exception. Everything from swordplay to sorcery maintains its high level of detail and complexity. However, these mechanics have been greatly polished, allowing the gameplay experience to be far smoother. These refined controls are accompanied by the traditional and crippling difficulty of the series. Throughout a playthrough, a player will encounter seemingly insurmountable obstacles that test his or her desire to win. The game is also peppered with confrontations with opponents vastly superior in strength, size, and tenacity.

To many people, this difficulty may seem tedious and unappealing. However, the difficulty is what makes the game special. Every failure is the player’s fault, and the game centers itself on learning from defeat. Some of the most exhilarating and fulfilling moments in gaming come from finally besting an enemy after hours of seeming defeat. The fulfillment felt from each victory makes Dark Souls II a remarkably satisfying game to play.

On a technical level, Dark Souls II far surpasses its predecessor. The original Dark Souls struggled to maintain a decent frame rate, and at certain areas the game became nearly unplayable. Dark Souls II, however, is able to run smoothly, never once dropping below 30 frames per second. The improved frame rates, coupled with the reworked graphics, ensure that the game is the series’ most technically sound entry. These enhancements allow the difficulty of the game to stem from actual obstacles rather than unintended technical problems.

The most interesting aspect of Dark Souls II is how it delivers its story. Rather than being presented directly to the player, the narrative is presented subtly. Players are dropped into a world with minimal background information and instructed to piece the big picture together themselves. The lore of the game comes from the enemies fought, locations visited, and items collected. This approach to a narrative makes the game world feel far more natural, as though it existed for thousands of years before you first enter it. And while the melancholy tale of the rise and fall of the kingdom is Drangleic is admittedly less interesting than that of the original Dark Souls, it is still a story worth uncovering.

As a whole, Dark Souls II is superb. FromSoftware has succeeded again in making a punishing yet fulfilling game. The main problem with Dark Souls II, however, is that it doesn’t quite live up to its predecessor. While Dark Souls II is more accessible and easier to play, it feels more like a game and less like a true experience. The original Dark Souls was remarkable in both design and atmosphere. The creativity and enjoyably depressing nature of the original produced a remarkable experience unlike any game made before it. Dark Souls II does not live up to this mold. It tries very hard to rekindle the magic of its predecessor, but in doing so it fails to find its own identity.

Dark Souls II is a better game, but it is not a better experience.
  95. Apr 10, 2014
    A great sequel. The gameplay is similar to dark souls but with enough changes and improvements. The game has more places, bosses and weapons, etc. The graphic is not what they showed on E3 but it is good enough. I love the covenants, co-op and pvp. IMO, the game is easier than the first one because magic is so overpower. I enjoy this game, but for some reason I love the first game moreA great sequel. The gameplay is similar to dark souls but with enough changes and improvements. The game has more places, bosses and weapons, etc. The graphic is not what they showed on E3 but it is good enough. I love the covenants, co-op and pvp. IMO, the game is easier than the first one because magic is so overpower. I enjoy this game, but for some reason I love the first game more than this one. Expand
  96. Jul 18, 2014
    Using familiar mechanics and style, Dark Souls is one of the best games of this year. Compared to the original however, the game doesn't feel as polished. Some areas have (no pun intended) no soul to them. You walk mostly in a straight line, with one few branching paths. I mean, it's still Dark Souls and by god there's a lot of exploring to do, but to me, it never felt interesting, notUsing familiar mechanics and style, Dark Souls is one of the best games of this year. Compared to the original however, the game doesn't feel as polished. Some areas have (no pun intended) no soul to them. You walk mostly in a straight line, with one few branching paths. I mean, it's still Dark Souls and by god there's a lot of exploring to do, but to me, it never felt interesting, not even slightly. Dark Souls 1 featured a world that was interconnected and exploring this world was really satisfying: Finding all kinds of shortcuts or finally reaching that area that you couldn't get to before was amazingly satisfying. In Dark Souls 2 however, this feeling is mostly absent, probably because of the lackluster level design.
    Now don't get me wrong, I loved playing the 50 hours I put in Dark Souls 2's story, but replaying the game never really occurred to me. I didn't want to go through the game again with a different build or approach, something that Dark Souls 1 really well.
    In short, Dark Souls 2 is a fantastic game, but isn't a masterpiece like it's predecessor. It solved some of the original's problems, while adding new ones too. It could've been so much more, it could've been another amazing adventure that we would cherish, but in the end, it simply didn't. It's...forgettable.
  97. Mar 23, 2014
    Dark Souls II is fantastic. Like all games, it does have its flaws; the controls not always respond the way they should is the one I have noticed the most, but this doesn't take much away from the experience. DkSII certainly feels like it flows better than its predecessor, and combat feel more dynamic, if slightly unfamiliar at first. Like DkS, it is fair, challenging and rewarding, butDark Souls II is fantastic. Like all games, it does have its flaws; the controls not always respond the way they should is the one I have noticed the most, but this doesn't take much away from the experience. DkSII certainly feels like it flows better than its predecessor, and combat feel more dynamic, if slightly unfamiliar at first. Like DkS, it is fair, challenging and rewarding, but will not hesitate to try and punish you for doing something stupid, like attacking the ogre in the first area. Other major improvements, in my opinion, include the inventory system, the message system, and the hollowing system. The loss of a percentage of your total health not only works well in the world and the story, but gives you a stronger incentive not to die (as if you needed one). Not to mention the fact that it is even more rewarding to beat a boss when your maximum health is at 50%.

In summary, DkSII has many improvements over DkS, and is a fantastic game, if you're up for a challenge. But like DkS, it is not for the faint of heart or the short of temper.
  98. Mar 20, 2014
    not quite on a par with my favourite game of all time, Dark Souls, but not bad. Sadly, there are a few issues in this instalment that mar the experience. the graphics are really quite bad, enemies appear to be superimposed on to the landscape at times and there are many areas where the screen literally tears in half horizontally as you turn the camera. The game is perhaps a little hardernot quite on a par with my favourite game of all time, Dark Souls, but not bad. Sadly, there are a few issues in this instalment that mar the experience. the graphics are really quite bad, enemies appear to be superimposed on to the landscape at times and there are many areas where the screen literally tears in half horizontally as you turn the camera. The game is perhaps a little harder than the first in some parts but the fact you can repair the ring of sacrifice means you never have to play as undead or ever risk losing any souls after death. Additionally, enemies disappear after you've killed them ten or so times, removing some of the challenge of reaching bosses in difficult areas.

There is the option to respec which removes some of the importance of your levelling up decisions. The experience just seems a little more forgiving and less unique. there are also a few real annoyances. For example, every time you wish to increase a level you must warp to a certain bonfire and talk to the same NPC who will say the same four lines of dialogue. That can wear a little thin by the hundredth time. Also, you are now unable to see the stats and prerequisites of your items from they are in your lockbox. This means you must take everything out of the box in order to make comparisons. There seem less options to modify your.weapons and although streamlining this removed some of the confusion around upgrades, it has also removed some of the pleasure of fashioning a really powerful weapon. The controls are also not as tight in DS2, your character lurches about at the touch of the joystick.

The world itself is not as cleverly intertwined as Lordran in DS1 and the story and characters are just not as intriguing or interesting as the first game.

However, for all its foibles, DS2 remains an outstanding RPG with a lot of variety and dangerous places to explore. After 55 hours, I am still trying to finish the game and unlock its secrets. I have died, I have become exasperated, but I am yet to lose the urge to push on through the fog gate one more time. It's a rare game these days that can dish out heartbreak and euphoria in equal measure but Dark Souls 2 achieves this. It's not the all time classic that its predecessor still is but it's a damn fine game nonetheless.

I'd give it 8.5 if I could.
  99. May 7, 2014
    Okay, so i've finished Dark Souls II now. I haven't played any other games from this company and i was curious indeed about what's the hype about. The difficulty etc.

I landed on level 141 and the whole game took me around 60hours to complete. Story: It's nothing that will catch your eye. Its about King Vendrick that cursed you, and your seeking the four giant souls to blast him

I landed on level 141 and the whole game took me around 60hours to complete.

Story:
    It's nothing that will catch your eye. Its about King Vendrick that cursed you, and your seeking the four giant souls to blast him down. In the game, you will experience around 5 cutscenes (which is good).
    I didnt care for the story at all, the world and all the enemies are already consuming ur attention.

Gameplay:
    Here is where the game shines, it has some flaws around the hit box, and sometimes you can get glitced, example: I kited a dragon and when i went thru a cave, his flame breath killed me from the side which wouldnt happen realistic. But hey, other than that the gameplay is flawless. You have super combat with an impressive shield/sword combat or an ranged class. Enemies are just swinging giant swords, casting magic and knives at you. It's beautifuly done and i applaud From Software for doing this. Their work is very impressive and i havent seen such a wonderful combat system in a while within RPG-genre.

Graphics:
    For me, its all about the inside. (^^) but for some people who really depend on graphics, Dark Souls have their biggest flaw here, or well the only flaw that i would say. The game isnt really pretty. It looks like it's been made in 2012, or heck even later then that. Skyrim is more beautiful on all places, even tho it's alot older. I didnt care about that, but im giving you guys a hint.

Tho the game have some beautiful enviroments and the arts of the enemies, trees, bosses are just phenonemal. When you play the game, you can already tell from the first hours that they havent put all their effort here. It's clear that they went old-school hardcore and did all the work on the details of the game instead of the shallowness of graphics.

Audio:
    Beautiful songs, haunting and even tense sounds. They have it all covered. Your feelings will adapt to the songs of the situation since they have covered so nicely, you can tell when your getting scared, chased or just "chilling" around. It's alot like Skyrim. They really depend on the situation and i love it alot. Haven't noticed anything bad.

Difficulty: You dont have any options in the start of the game, it's only one difficulty. (Which is "normal" i guess?)
    Me myself prefer a challenge, and i have probably died around 200-300 times under the first round of the game. I would suggest playing this in a calm state of mind because other than that, your gonna rage alot. The thing i like is that the game itself isnt really hard, it just takes alot of effort, concentration and focus on enemy patterns. It's like what they mentioned here in one of the Critic Review: You gotta let Dark Souls 2 devour you first before you can devour it, and it pretty much sums it up.

You will die alot, and only because of your own mistakes and not because you ended up in a glitch or something and that's what i like. You die, take a deep breath and think for yourself: "What did i do wrong?) And thats the beauty of this game.

Anyway, here's a quick review from me. I wont bother with spellings or anything else. I think you got the point.

Pros:
    Amazing combat
    beautiful and fitting sound
    enriched area's of mystic items, hiddens paths etc.
    Bosses with unique spells and patterns, alot of items and weapons.

Cons:
    Outdated graphics,

The NPC's didnt really interest me. The fact that some of them give you an item after 5 times you have spoken to them, dosent give you the motivation to actually listen and engage like you would do in Skyrim. And some of them have poor conversation-routes.

Most of the things arent explained in the game, I had to check the internet for guides, walkthroughs and such cause the games dosent give you an path really. It just kicks you into this world and "bye".

Wasen't really an issue for me, but for some people i can tell that it would be frustrating, also some of the inventory signs dosent have an explanation. I couldnt, or should i say i cant still tell what some of the icon stands for and i get that the game wanna make you explore it, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I would like to know what benefits my armor does and how it helps me.

For those who like an RPG-Action with challenge, interesting enemys and bosses that WILL make you rage or even cry at some point. I recommend this. After i bought this, im gonna purchase the first DS and try it out.
  100. Apr 23, 2014
    Let me start by saying i love dark souls 1 and 2 but dark souls 2 has to be my favorite out of the two because of what it did to improve the combat and enemies in the game. The first thing i noticed when i was placed into the first area of the game was the great atmosphere of the game, It sets up a old island that was once beautiful but has been turned into ruins over time. Dark souls 2Let me start by saying i love dark souls 1 and 2 but dark souls 2 has to be my favorite out of the two because of what it did to improve the combat and enemies in the game. The first thing i noticed when i was placed into the first area of the game was the great atmosphere of the game, It sets up a old island that was once beautiful but has been turned into ruins over time. Dark souls 2 also gives the immediate sense of danger even before you get to customize your character because you start with nothing. The character creator hasn't improved though it still has the awkward default faces that can now have custom tattoos but non of this matters because most of the time you wont see your characters face because you are normally wearing a helmet. Combat has been improved dramatically over dark souls 1 you can now do a shield break to stagger and critical hit an enemy and backstabbing has become harder to do which makes the PvP more balanced and fair. That said PvP is now more rewarding and fun because of the reduce in lag and covenants like the rat king covenant let you summon grey spirits of other players into two certain locations that you can unlock traps. npc's and hidden path ways to kill your invader in easier ways. The locations in Drandeliec (dark souls 2) i find better than the those in lordran (dark souls 1) because they are more varied with their own specific theme and enemy types like the forest of fallen giants which houses zombies and giant knights with turtle Armour on their backs, and the gutter which is where all the dead body's and junk get thrown causing poison enemies to spawn down in the pits. Speaking of enemies the AI for most of the enemies has been improved where some will still jump to their death for no reason most and smarter with their attacks using them when you are more vulnerable and run back to heal while others move up to defend them. The bosses in the game are varied in difficulty where some are laughably easy and die in a few seconds some and incredibly hard and require help to beat them which is fine by me because i love a challenge but some were stupidly hard because of things you have to do before you enter the boss area like burn something so the boss arena isn't filled with poison that slowly kills you but heals the boss. Now i want to say some things i dont like about the game, the new system of losing your max health when you did up to 50% is good in theory but when it plays out it isnt fun because the only way to get it back is using a human effigy (which also lets you summon other players to help you) and at the start they are limited which caused me a problem because i had to grind for an hour to get one which i then summoned a person who was great enough to give me lots of Human Effigy but the max health thing seriously screwed me up on certain areas. Another thing which isnt really the games fault and this serves as more of a warning DONT KILL NPC MERCHANTS because you get a sinner status which lets players from the way of blue covenant to invade you as an arbiter and they are normally really powerful and spawn almost next to you giving them a huge advantage if you aren't ready. Another problem is near the end of the game it doesnt tell you what to do with this item you get and its really obscure what you have to do to get to the final boss im not going to say what you have to do but i needed to look it up after 5 hours of searching. On a closing note i would like to say that if you enjoyed demon souls or dark souls 1 get this game because it is the best one yet and i hope it gets a game of the year award from someone. Pros: difficult but fair (most of the time), PvP improved, Lag Improved, Creative areas and enemy design. Cons: losing health when you die with lack of human effigies on the map, doesn't tell you what to do most of the time, unfair PvP spawns in certain areas. Final Score 9/10 Expand

1. Oct 9, 2014
    Though it lasts a long time and provides a decent challenge, I think it really needed an extra push on top of what the game contains. I would describe it as just above average, but that’s as far as I’d go.
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    Its over dependence on group battles, less interesting boss designs and a slightly more forgettable world let it down, but none of this is so severe that it stops it from becoming another superb entry into one of the best series of games of all time.
  3. Mar 25, 2014
    If you have any interest in playing this game after reading this review, do yourself a favor and get it now. If you allow yourself to be enthralled with its atmosphere and game play you’ll become an avid fan just like me.