7.9

1. May 22, 2015
    The world of Dark Souls 2 was not connected as well as in Dark Souls, and many parts of the world seemed uninteresting. However, the amazing weaponry and gameplay, challenging bosses, and awesome pvp kept me coming back for over 150 hours.
  2. Apr 19, 2015
    Dark souls 2 is an amazing open world rpg, you get tense battle's all the time if it's not pvp its the pve that takes to the limit and if its not hard enough you can go to new game + even the fact that you can get practicly invaded almost every where in the game makes it hard enouhg and if u feel like dieing is not your fould than guess again it is your fould
  3. Apr 18, 2015
    Una gran secuela y sin duda una de las joyas del 2014, sin embargo no se salvo de las decepciones que este dio, pues a pesar de ser un buen juego no llego a lo que se esperaba.

Pros: -Sigue teniendo un gran trasfondo. -una variedad de armas y armaduras mas grande. -una variedad de enemigos mas grande. -bajaron la dificultad para que fuera apto para todo publico. -añadieron nuevas

Pros:
    -Sigue teniendo un gran trasfondo.
    -una variedad de armas y armaduras mas grande.
    -una variedad de enemigos mas grande.
    -bajaron la dificultad para que fuera apto para todo publico.
    -añadieron nuevas formas de jugabilidad.
    -mas NPCs.
    -mejoraron los FPS.
    -mejoraron el Online.
    -mejoraron en cuestión de RPG.

Contras:
    -bajón en el diseño de nivel.
    -el diseño del mundo recibió un bajón de detalles.
    -mejoraron los gráficos, pero no dieron los que prometieron.
    -jefes que no tienen gracia.
    -se volvió mas fácil que su antecesor, le puse en ambos bandos ya que también perdió esencia la saga al momento de ponerlo mas fácil.

Se noto un montón que habían cambiado de director, ya que falto muchas cosas del videojuego anterior cosas esenciales como el diseño de nivel y los gráficos anteriormente dicho. bien dije, es una joya del 2014 pero nada mas, me gusto pero al mismo tiempo me decepciono.
  4. Feb 14, 2015
    Not as good as DS1 as far as world building, but the raw combat mechanics, especially in PvP, are dramatically improved. The characters are in most cases weaker, and the bosses in most cases are less creative and they seem to have this hard-on for humanoid monsters with big tracking overhead swings. Some of the bosses, however, are really great. It doesn't capture the feel of Lordran, butNot as good as DS1 as far as world building, but the raw combat mechanics, especially in PvP, are dramatically improved. The characters are in most cases weaker, and the bosses in most cases are less creative and they seem to have this hard-on for humanoid monsters with big tracking overhead swings. Some of the bosses, however, are really great. It doesn't capture the feel of Lordran, but it's more fun for the most part to actually play. Expand
  5. Feb 14, 2015
    One of the best games ever, it's brilliance outshines its minor flaws. If you play games to be challenged this is for you.

If you want a game that will play it's self, buy it anyway and get your head examined!
  6. Feb 9, 2015
    This game is only for those who consider themselves hardcore and enjoy the challenge of long winded battles and unresponsive controls. If you don't mind dying many, many times so that you can memorize the actions of mobs then this game will appeal to you. It was not so much the dying but the level of punishment for dying (reducing your maximum health) that I was so opposed to. I don'tThis game is only for those who consider themselves hardcore and enjoy the challenge of long winded battles and unresponsive controls. If you don't mind dying many, many times so that you can memorize the actions of mobs then this game will appeal to you. It was not so much the dying but the level of punishment for dying (reducing your maximum health) that I was so opposed to. I don't mind challenge but when the challenge is at this level, to reduce your health upon respawning as a punishment in addition to dropping your souls is over the top. I would be far more likely to spend the effort to over come the obstacle if I were not punished to the point where additional failed attempts would provide even less leeway and bring about a quicker death.

The story is done well. The lighting is NOT well done. The textures are muddy and archaic. The game is not very accessible and appeals to a particular type of player. Simply put, I don't find the game to be fun or entertaining. Its more of a chore than something that I find enticing.

I know that some people enjoy very difficult challenges and will bang their head against a boss until they beat it. For them this game will be a must play. There are very few challenges out there like this and if you are masochistic and like to deal with over powered bosses that way over stay their welcome (at least for me) then this game will be a gem.

I do hope that Bloodborne will be more accessible. Watching the play through that has been recorded during the Alpha it certainly appears to have more variety in the combat and tactics and be more accessible.

I can only give it 5 out of 10 - for the writing, voice acting and soundtrack.
  7. Feb 5, 2015
    This game was a huge step down from the original dark souls and all I can say is it felt rushed. The developers claimed better graphics, more polish. Instead it's big, bland and frustrating. I put 120 hours in the original and loved everything about it. DS2s world had really no exploration at all to it, just clear this area move on to the next. There was no believable slow emergence intoThis game was a huge step down from the original dark souls and all I can say is it felt rushed. The developers claimed better graphics, more polish. Instead it's big, bland and frustrating. I put 120 hours in the original and loved everything about it. DS2s world had really no exploration at all to it, just clear this area move on to the next. There was no believable slow emergence into the next world, just your clearly in the lava stage now... From an elevator... That took you all the way up... From a windmill...? Much of the enjoyment of the original was just exploring this vast world and looking for surprises. For the first 30 some hours of DS2 there was nothing. Funny enough that some of the few issues from the original were either still there or made worse by new rules implemented. They can rerelease DS2 on Xbox one and say it looks better now all they want. They should have waited and put out a clean game than to lie about DS2 and disappoint fans of this series Expand
  8. Jan 28, 2015
    - Original Xbox graphics
    - Repetitive combat style, (4 possible slashes, 3 possible dodges, 1 block, and arrow shot. That's it.)
    - Combat relies on BAD AI. To win battles you have to perform actions like running around in a circle to dodge attacks until your health builds back up - Entire premise of the game is how often you can die (this is a supposed feature) - An online experience
    - Original Xbox graphics
    - An online experience that doesn't work (Gold member with 60hrs of play time, no PvP interaction)
    - No bonus for head shots, body part hits
    - NPCs have flawed speech and will ruin story and gameplay if you don't perform specific actions
    - Specific actions (killing NPCs or using key stones in the wrong place) will permanently destroy your future game
    - Only way to progress is literally looking up walk through, as you will be unable to pass levels without knowing why
    - Takes about 30% of the game before you can sell objects
    - Repairs actually don't mean anything, as they repair themselves at every bonfire
    - Zero revolutionary gaming aspects

Literally the WORST game I have every played. I tried to like it. But I am baffled as to why anyone would rate this. I can't express how angry I am that I paid $60 for this...WOW.

Have the positive reviewers been paid? The graphics literally are original Xbox , or PS1 quality.
  9. Jan 14, 2015
    I never thought I would enjoy the Dark Souls games, as I hate dying or losing. I still wasn’t quite sure I did when I played about half of the original Dark Souls. Then I started playing Dark Souls II, beat some guys I thought were impossible… and it clicked. The desire to level up just one more level, beat just one more boss and discover just one more area is intoxicating. And man, theI never thought I would enjoy the Dark Souls games, as I hate dying or losing. I still wasn’t quite sure I did when I played about half of the original Dark Souls. Then I started playing Dark Souls II, beat some guys I thought were impossible… and it clicked. The desire to level up just one more level, beat just one more boss and discover just one more area is intoxicating. And man, the difficulty level is high, but satisfying. The only knock I would have on the game is stupid people invading my world. Aside from those rage-inducing moments, I had an awesome time from the beginning to end. My only regret is not being able to beat that dragon… Expand
  10. Jan 10, 2015
    Avoid any other game if a challenge is what you seek, this is what made video gaming worthy in 2014,
    Dark Souls 2 is a way more friendly version of it's predecessor, which will allow newcomers to taste this phenomenal game, without getting al shot from the beginning, it will take you some time to get along still but once used you will for sure make a second and perhaps a third play trough,
    haters here were probably not man enough to truly play this game as it should, if a challenge and great story is what you seek, this is your thing,

if your a veteran player of the souls you know what you get, except that this one is kinda friendly, most bosses and enemies were possible to beat if the first round, but still this game will swell be worth your while,
  11. Jan 2, 2015
    Despite fans concerns that Dark Souls II may be reined back to cater to a wider audience this sequel is every bit as difficult and addictive as its predecessor. What changes there are, such as being able to warp to any discovered bonfire from the outset, are mostly positive and certainly make for a less frustrating experience. The covenant system is also better implemented this timeDespite fans concerns that Dark Souls II may be reined back to cater to a wider audience this sequel is every bit as difficult and addictive as its predecessor. What changes there are, such as being able to warp to any discovered bonfire from the outset, are mostly positive and certainly make for a less frustrating experience. The covenant system is also better implemented this time around, as is the online aspect with summoning and invading others being a much more reliable experience.

Exploring the game world, never knowing what may be around the next corner, is what Dark Souls is all about and From Software have delivered again in an adventure that offers well in excess of 50 hours of gameplay.
  12. Dec 29, 2014
    Pros: Almost Perfect. The DLCs are one of the strengths for this type of game, the length and story are amazing and that's what you expect in a DS game.

Cons: Biggest flaw in this game is the ease of healing. DS1 was mint with the limited Flasks you could use each time you rested. In DS2 they added the life gems which you can buy unlimited number from a vendor which make the game way too easy. This game is about precision and difficulty that you should not rush unless your one of the pro players. I wish they removed the life gems in any Game+ mode and challenge the players like DS1 did. Other con is the new riposte/counter attack mechanic, its just crap. DS1 had it done amazingly and quick attack hard hit. Here (DS2) you knock enemies down and they wait a sec and then you do some cheese stack attack? meh.

Overall awesome game but DS1 is still #1 for difficulty.
  13. Dec 28, 2014
    I get it, its supposed to be tough and challenging. But there is a difference between tough and challenging and something that becomes dull and repetitive having to try the same thing over and over again. If I wanted dull, repetitive and challenging I would go to work.
  14. Dec 26, 2014
    Let me start with a disclaimer - It is very hard to review any sequel without comparing it to the original. So with that said let me say that Dark Souls 2 is a good game and it makes some mechanical improvements on the previous game. Just know that for the most part the combat system remains excellent and still has the same weight to it as the previous games in the series. However, itLet me start with a disclaimer - It is very hard to review any sequel without comparing it to the original. So with that said let me say that Dark Souls 2 is a good game and it makes some mechanical improvements on the previous game. Just know that for the most part the combat system remains excellent and still has the same weight to it as the previous games in the series. However, it certainly has flaws and takes several steps back in other areas when compared to Dark Souls 1.

Story - I really don't know what to say about the story, the souls games have never been big on exposition but have always managed to deliver a simple, effective narrative which is enriched by scraps of lore you encounter through item descriptions. I get the impression that the narrative here was outsourced to a 15 year old goth. It seems to relish in being mysterious and dark for the sake of being mysterious and dark. Just know that you will have no idea what is going on until the late game, and once you do sort of know what is going on, the story introduces time travel before it's pantomime "it was me!" final boss and ambiguous ending. Regarding the lore (item descriptions) - all you will get is more ambiguous crap like "could this have been that?" or "perhaps that was this?" or "some people say that.....". Why craft a story when you can just plaster everything in meaningless ambiguity? or is it?

World/Levels -unlike Dark Souls 1, this is not an open world game though it does a decent job of masquerading as one. This is highlighted by some of the ludicrous transitions from one area to the next (Earthen Peak to iron Keep). It's essentially a series of linear levels, each of which ends in a boss fight. Environments for the most part are good, though some are fairly drab looking, while others are a bit too video game-y (Iron Keep).

Enemies/Bosses - Severe lack of variety in this department. Most enemies and bosses in this game are basically just some iteration of 'dude in armor' with few exceptions. This actually is reflective of a big problem with the game and perhaps it's biggest failing - there is a severe lack of creativity in this game in general.

All that said, it is still a good game and worth buying if you're up for a challenge.
  15. Dec 2, 2014
    Игра без сюжета с тупым ссаным управлением. Полная срань. Игра для школьников-садомазохистов, которым нравится запах жареного пукана и сектантов, которые любят искать сюжет там где его нет. 0 из 10.
  16. Nov 30, 2014
    This was not only a fun game and worthwhile playing, but it was also one of the most changing games I've ever played. This game will not only frustrate you but it will also make you wish you never bought it. But after your mixed emotions you will realize you want to play more. So all in all you will find it a life accomplishment to beat this game but it will make you a better gamer.
  17. Nov 18, 2014
    Don't believe any of the moronic reviews with 0/10 etc this is an outstanding, 9/10 game.

Good - Its Dark Souls but much, much bigger, more armour, more weapons, more bosses more options, same great core gameplay. PvP is not as much of an unplayable lag-stab fest as it was in Dark Souls and this time can actually be fun. Some truly memorable areas and bosses as we expected. Bad - Not

Bad - Not quite as well put together area/level wise as Dark Souls. The larger scale has caused the graphics to suffer a little.

Verdict - More of what was good in Dark Souls, an awsome game that provide thousands of hours of gameplay. Lol at 'gamers' who say its rubbish.
  18. Nov 17, 2014
    BEST GAME OF ALL TIME!
    Pvp is a but unbalanced but man the game has some incredible bosses and locations!! ................................................................................
  19. Nov 12, 2014
    Despite all the changes from previous games I still enjoyed the game. It took some getting used to with how some of the mechanics work, but overall good experience. It is much more forgiving then previous soul games. PVP is always a blast.
  20. Nov 5, 2014
    Dark Souls II is one of the best games that I have ever played. It takes most of the things wrong with Dark Souls and fixes them. The graphics are drastically improved from the last title. The combat system feels more deep, with more weapons and more strategy needed to defeat enemies. I feel as though this entry is slightly easier than the previous game, yet not by much. As for the recentDark Souls II is one of the best games that I have ever played. It takes most of the things wrong with Dark Souls and fixes them. The graphics are drastically improved from the last title. The combat system feels more deep, with more weapons and more strategy needed to defeat enemies. I feel as though this entry is slightly easier than the previous game, yet not by much. As for the recent DLC that was released, the difficulty is increased to the level of Dark Souls. So if you like the difficulty of the first game, then do not hesitate to purchase all the DLC, especially Crown of the Ivory King. All in all, this game is a near masterpiece, with some small problems that can be very easily overlooked. Expand
  21. Nov 3, 2014
    by far the worst game I have ever played. it fails in every respect. don't know who thought it was a good idea to make a game like this
    First off the graphics are last gen. have never played a 360 game with such poor textures. so much more could have bee put in in terms of making the game pretty, but in the end it just reflects a lazy design team that didn't try.
    secondly, the gameplay
    secondly, the gameplay is generic and pointless. It is 100 hour of unrewarding leveling, overpowered enemies and poor lighting every where, with linear enviroments that don't offer much in the way of alternate routes or decision making a open world game is suppose to. The enviromental design is just as poor. It is defined by generic rubble, underwhelming sceneries in which are boring and lacking of details that should give the game life and character. The combat is a generic, slow roll and hack mess that gets old fast. The enemies are usually just copy and paste variants of one another, where they pointlessly advance, hack and repeat, not using any advanced tactics or balancing mechanics. gameplay often dissolves into pressing b for 10 minutes, hacking, repeating. every boss looks different, but ultimately is just a new skin upon a lackluster, overpowered, stupid AI. There is no point why everything is OP and then you are punished for dying by losing all your souls, and permanent health, even though the game is defined by dying. It makes the game fustrating, dull, and unplayable as you fall into a pointless of dying over and over without getting anything back for the $60 you spent.
    The story could have been the saving for this game, but sadly it suffers just as many vital flaws. The quests are boring fetch quests often, or otherwise completely vague and ambiguous to the point where you think you are playing the mad ravings of a chronic mental masturbater. The storyline is pretty much nonexistent, and when you do get scraps of it, you find a morbid, depressing world, and pretty much no motivation on continuing other than just to try and prove to yourself you didn't just waste $60.
    overall, this is an overrated, poor, lazy and otherwise wasteful game that gives no emotional reward, and instead resigns to drive the player to insanity, and broken controllers. Should never be played by anyone.
  22. Oct 29, 2014
    Quite possibly one of the best games I have every played in my life. I beat the game 8 times on my main file, and 2 times on my alternate file (made this file to play with my friend, who beat the game twice as well). But yeah, this game is just so damn unique. I love how challenging this game is, and I love the setting as well. If you love games with difficulties that are similar to theQuite possibly one of the best games I have every played in my life. I beat the game 8 times on my main file, and 2 times on my alternate file (made this file to play with my friend, who beat the game twice as well). But yeah, this game is just so damn unique. I love how challenging this game is, and I love the setting as well. If you love games with difficulties that are similar to the old SNES games, this is definitely something you will enjoy. Please buy this game, and the first Dark Souls, and Demon Souls, you won't regret it. It's an underrated game that people don't play because it requires patience, thinking, strategy, teamwork(if you summon other players), and pretty much skills that normal people don't really possess. Normal people nowadays enjoy casual games like COD, because there isn't any thinking involved. OH yeah, the multiplayer is so original, I don't know any other game that has a multiplayer system like the Souls games. You can summon other players via a sign place on the ground for bosses and for areas in the game. I think it's cool. It does get annoying when you get invaded though, but nevertheless, it is cool. This game has raised my standards to very high levels, which is good because I can save money on video games now. Expand
  23. Oct 25, 2014
    Uno de los mejores juegos de la generación. Como tantos otros no es para todos los públicos y de ahí que haya jugadores frustrados por su dificultad e incapacidad de pasárselo poniéndole ceros justificando su inoperancia y falta de paciencia con el juego. Me ha durado 70 horas que han sido las másinmersivas de la generación juntó a Last of Us, Bioshock, Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect y algunasUno de los mejores juegos de la generación. Como tantos otros no es para todos los públicos y de ahí que haya jugadores frustrados por su dificultad e incapacidad de pasárselo poniéndole ceros justificando su inoperancia y falta de paciencia con el juego. Me ha durado 70 horas que han sido las másinmersivas de la generación juntó a Last of Us, Bioshock, Arkham Asylum, Mass Effect y algunas otras pequeñas joyas. Una maravilla que nadie que se precie como hardcore debe dejar pasar. 10/10 Expand
  24. Oct 2, 2014
    A game famous (and infamous) for its difficulty and vast open world. Sounds like a fun challenge. I'll readily admit that perhaps due to not playing Dark Souls 1 I'm missing backstory and plot points, but with all due respect...what the **** is going on in this game? It starts out and quickly makes no sense. Controls or wonky, but like most games, a person will eventually get used to them.A game famous (and infamous) for its difficulty and vast open world. Sounds like a fun challenge. I'll readily admit that perhaps due to not playing Dark Souls 1 I'm missing backstory and plot points, but with all due respect...what the **** is going on in this game? It starts out and quickly makes no sense. Controls or wonky, but like most games, a person will eventually get used to them. The inventory system? Not so much. It's confusing and awful. You collect items with little to know idea what they do, are presented with paths to take...that you shouldn't because the enemy on the path is far too strong for your character. Battles consist of rolling around trying to stab a bad guy a couple of times until you run out of stamina, or better yet, hope you can get him to stand next to a rock that causes the horrible AI to make him stuck against. From there you can slice him through the wall...until an archer from across the map shoots you through the same rock wall. Wow.

Development is sloppy, unique terminology is not explained, the animations are so long, slow, and disjointed that you start something then literally watch the enemy perform 2-3 actions while you wait for your animation to finish. Let's say you bring up the menu-well, you can still be attacked with it up, but whatever. You exist out and can start walking around...but not of your attacks or rolls work until you exist out of the menu's menu bar that is atop the screen. Really?

Every step of the way lazy development and horrible game design prevented me from caring about what was going on, wanting to spend more time to learn, or give me any confidence that I was stuck in a learning curve that would end, and the meat of the gaming experience would start up.

Now multiplayer. Perhaps through poor research on my part, I was led to believe there was a traditional co-op experience in the game. What actually happens is after getting a few nonsensical items and apparently drawing on the floor with them, you can have someone else join your game as a shade. That means they get to see you run around and enable conversations, open chests, open doors, play the game, while you're along for the ride. Able to walk on ledges with terrible camera control and enemy targeting, swing your weapon of choice, then eventually run out of time in your buddy's world and getting to re-appear at a bonfire, you are guaranteed to feel completely cheated out of the story and gaming experience. That isn't co-op. That's single player, with some small amount of interaction above watching someone's Twitch account.

This is in my bottom 5 of worst games I've ever played, and I've easily played through 500+ games.

Difficult? Yes. In the sense that it's difficult to ride a bike on the freeway with a missing tire, three pedals, and a blindfold, but I would argue the difficulty, and frustration, is due to sloppy development and horrible game mechanics. Exploiting bad AI and clunky animations is not cleverly difficult gameplay to me.
  25. Sep 29, 2014
    I originally gave this game a nine, but the further I played it, the less I loved it...

The game is excellent, for me it takes the original that little bit further... It's not less, or more difficult, its just different. Obvs this game is a lot easier if you utilise the multiplayer aspects. As with the first there's loads of enemy variation, weapon variation, great RPG elements etc. The story is a little less ambiguous than the first, but who cares right, just kill loads of ****

I guess the only thing that lets this game down for me is the further you get into the game, the more it feels like a rushed project, or that they added more areas to make it bigger than Dark Souls, with a detriment to graphics and gameplay. There was a sandy area which i just didn't like at all. I guess the game tends to drag a bit, after all, 40/50 hours if not more without reaching the end game is pretty long.

Overall Dark Souls 2 is definitely an improvement on the original, and one of the better games of the last generation.. If you like a challenge, RPGs and killing monstrosities it's a must buy.
  26. Sep 29, 2014
    Don't let the high scores fool you!
    Don't let the high scores fool you!
    This sequal is a huge step back from the previous title. The overall feel of this installment leaves alot to be desired. Poor level design, no sense of direction or urgency, artifical difficulty coming from the way of broken game mechanics, terrible matchmaking mechanics (see soul memory) Unnecessarily tedious task like leveling up, bad hit detection/phantom hits, certain gear so over powered, you would be stupid not to use it effectively removing any customization. Unusable weapon classes because of horrendous move sets (im looking at you reapers) forgettable bosses all feeling the same....... the list goes on.
    On a brighter note, i may be describing it as a horrible game, but it still trumps other rpgs out there.
    Being a massive fan of the soul series i was immensely disappointed by this sub par sequal, they have fixed several balance issues associated with the first games, but have created a myrid of other issues.
    spend any serious amount of time playing this game and the cracks will begin to show.
  27. Sep 28, 2014
    I have played both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 multiple times. Both are excellent games that are designed for a player that doesn't mind taking his or her time to grind through a level. If you die, you start over without any of your souls (money/exp.). However, if you died, it was likely because you rushed or made a mistake. This game tries to teach the player and if you don't learn thenI have played both Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 multiple times. Both are excellent games that are designed for a player that doesn't mind taking his or her time to grind through a level. If you die, you start over without any of your souls (money/exp.). However, if you died, it was likely because you rushed or made a mistake. This game tries to teach the player and if you don't learn then prepare to die...a lot. This is not for the "COD" crowd or for anyone that rushes through games. I imagine those people are the ones giving this game low review scores.

Dark Souls as a series uses a minimalist approach. Everything from the story to the music is given in a quiet way. Nobody just tells you exactly what is going on, you have to put the story together yourself using what dialogue is available and by reading item descriptions. The music is usually quiet or completely gone, in order to give you a sense of loneliness. The environment is built in a way to make you feel small. After all, you're not some big hero. Just an insignificant figure trying to survive the world.

I cannot recommend this game highly enough to the right person. If you have some time to kill and want a challenging but rewarding experience, give Dark Souls 2 an honest try.
  28. Sep 27, 2014
    Now in my review for the first one I will say I was a bit quick to jump the gun and never truly give this game a chance.

My mind has changed in this new installment (and after giving the first one a second run) This game is what the direction that konami should've taken castlevania to besides that god of war wannabe garbage. The game mechanics are smooth and the challenge is real.

The game mechanics are smooth and the challenge is real. Honestly my biggest enemy besides my own stupid choices would be gravity.

I've learned after playing both DS games that I've been spoiled over the years with the easy difficulty of how modern games are. This game will teach you patience and how to overcome obstacles like in the old school NES days.

I mean imagine castlevania symphony of the night and if konami kept that darkness and challenge and moved forward into the future with it... well from software did that with the "souls" series.

It may not be castlevania but its what we've wanted that series to do for us today.

Its no skyrim and people making comparisons need to know its like comparing an apple to a hotdog.. I mean really... 2 different things here buddies.

The PVP is great and co op is also a plus here.

You can invade others worlds and mess up their day ohhhh joyyyyyy my favorite
    but they can do it to you.... damn... but fun!!!!

DLC is fairly priced and adds even more fun unlike todays games that just give you the unfinished bits of a game just to make extra money.

The souls series is keeps that Nintendo tradition going on when it comes to good quality games.

However it lacks in a few areas... in which to be honest isn't that big of a deal kinda like a really big pizza with one bad topping on it... its not a big deal if you eat around it.

It lacks in the communication area.. yeah you can do all sorts of gestures but online you can only private chat there is no party chat which is a bummer if you have 2 people you are co oping with and would be nice to talk trash to people you beat in PVP vs sending them a message.

Also the invading part upsets me because due to how difficult it is to get effigies I will pretty much say if an invader defeats you then you lose your humanity.

Also ghost damage on PVP is a big no no and sometimes has me rage quit or how op a spell caster is.. sometimes it seems like there are hackers but its not too often... Some weapons hitboxes (spears) in pvp is a little retarded op....

Like I said its not much to ruin a game but its enough to keep me from giving it a 10.

This game is one of the few games out there today actually worth its price, and the replay value is high.
    if you get bored you can cosplay a character. Heck I did a faith caster with a sword and he looked like trunks from dragon ball z. you can cosplay almost anything just look it up on youtube.

Good game and thank you from software. I apologize about my last review on the first one... I was ignorant of the awesomeness then and spoiled from typical shooters
  29. Sep 24, 2014
    In no way does this game deserve a 92. It is an emotionless, dry world where everything feels plastic. The game lacks emphasis on basic details that make a computerized world feel real. Character and enemy movements are limp, lifeless and clunky beyond playability. Combat mechanics are actually poor, and feel unimportant somehow. Plus.. dodging/blocking attacks is NOT possible to do amidstIn no way does this game deserve a 92. It is an emotionless, dry world where everything feels plastic. The game lacks emphasis on basic details that make a computerized world feel real. Character and enemy movements are limp, lifeless and clunky beyond playability. Combat mechanics are actually poor, and feel unimportant somehow. Plus.. dodging/blocking attacks is NOT possible to do amidst a flurry of attacks. you just get beaten to a pulp if you take more than 1 few hits. Tiny piglets take 50 swings to kill. The user interface and inventory system is cluttered, and badly disorganized. Facial details and graphics look like they are from 15 years ago, and that is not an exaggeration. I played the first Dark Souls two times through... in a row. With this game Im finding myself wanting to uninstall after 2 hours in. Dark Souls 1 was one of the best games I have ever played. This one misses the mark completely. Another failed sequel added to the list. Don't waste your money on this, unless you enjoy dying by falling off 15 foot drops, and getting beaten to death with no ability to roll or block. Its a dry world with nothing to offer except immense false hopes. Expand
  30. Sep 16, 2014
    This game is a great sequel to Dark Souls. I love it, the gameplay is great. I also love the combat. This game is possibly the best Souls game. Even though, I still play Dark Souls. I also play this game, and I yet play it more than Dark Souls. I have not expected large amount of haters complaining. Don't hate on this game just for one reason, if you hate on this game JUST for one reason,This game is a great sequel to Dark Souls. I love it, the gameplay is great. I also love the combat. This game is possibly the best Souls game. Even though, I still play Dark Souls. I also play this game, and I yet play it more than Dark Souls. I have not expected large amount of haters complaining. Don't hate on this game just for one reason, if you hate on this game JUST for one reason, you prove that you're a retarded 6 years old (sorry for offence), however, this game is tough, but don't give up, if you keep trying, you will never fail, like, NEVER EVER.. Expand
  31. Sep 11, 2014
    There are a lot of things about this game that are better than Dark Souls and Demon Souls, but there are also some that aren't as good. For instance, the atmosphere and the enemy design in Dark Souls II isn't as good as it was in the past in my opinion. However the wider variation of color is a nice change to the the mostly gray color scheme of the previous two games. Also, the actualThere are a lot of things about this game that are better than Dark Souls and Demon Souls, but there are also some that aren't as good. For instance, the atmosphere and the enemy design in Dark Souls II isn't as good as it was in the past in my opinion. However the wider variation of color is a nice change to the the mostly gray color scheme of the previous two games. Also, the actual gameplay of Dark Souls II is far superior to that of its predecessors. Combat is much more fluid, the AI is better, and the whole user experience as a whole is improved. If you have played any of the other games, it becomes apparent pretty quickly that Dark Souls II is a lot more user-friendly. Dark Souls II is a fantastic game that any fan of RPGs or action/adventure games should pick up. It's a refreshing change of pace from the typical offerings and offers a unique experience and feel that no other series has quite managed to catch. Expand
  32. Sep 4, 2014
    Difficulty and poor controls/ game play make me a very unsatisfied buyer. Games should be fun and no mind-numbing exercise in frustration. Shame on you Namco. I want my money back.
  33. Aug 28, 2014
    This is what happens when the B team is tasked with making a sequel for A material.
    Don't expect anything new or compelling, but all the surface aspects of Dark Souls 1 are there. And there are the obvious technical refinements, but it's no Dark Souls 1. Not even close.
  34. Aug 14, 2014
    A fantastic sequel to Dark Souls. It is a bit easier, due to the opportunity to fast travel from very early in the game, unlike Dark Souls. You probably won't find yourself throwing the controller at the TV in anger as much with this one either! It still provides a big challenge, and like its predecessor, every enemy can hurt you if you let your guard down. Very enjoyable and immersive.
  35. Aug 7, 2014
    I won't go too in-depth here, but they really messed this up. The first Dark Souls got it right, in that they found an excellent balance between difficulty and reward. This game has all the difficulty and more that Dark Souls had (although this time around it's difficult mostly because of the broken combat system), but it's almost like they left everything that was wrong witht hat game andI won't go too in-depth here, but they really messed this up. The first Dark Souls got it right, in that they found an excellent balance between difficulty and reward. This game has all the difficulty and more that Dark Souls had (although this time around it's difficult mostly because of the broken combat system), but it's almost like they left everything that was wrong witht hat game and broke everything that was great. It's not challenging, it's frustrating. It's not rewarding when you beat a boss, you're just relieved that you don't have to fight it anymore. It's not exciting, it's irritating. It just doesn't feel "challenging but fair" anymore, it feels like you're constantly at a huge disadvantage. Enemies hit you when they shouldn't, your weapons don't feel like they have any impact, and you never feel quite strong enough to have a chance. You're constantly being swarmed by enemies and you often have no way to protect yourself from taking at least a bit of damage. The healing system is screwed up, with HP recovery taking a painfully long time, time you just don't have in most situations. The game just feels like it's sucker punching you at every turn, and to me that's not fun or challenging, it's just annoying. You shouldn't have to play through an area 10 times just so you can find all the places the game is going to kick you in the nuts. All in all, it feels more like a "rage game" than a full production title. Dark Souls was an incredible game, a real feat of game design and a shining example of what a video game should be. I'd really like to know what happened here. They took a game that was tough but fun and took all the fun out of it. Expand
  36. Jul 31, 2014
    As a loyal dark souls fan I really enjoyed this game. Everything about this game gameplay, lore and combat wise was spot on. However I do have a few major gripes with the 'hardness' of this game. Don't get me wrong I'm good at dark souls and love a challenge but particularly towards the end of the game it seemed like the developers started using cheap tactics to try and and get me to toAs a loyal dark souls fan I really enjoyed this game. Everything about this game gameplay, lore and combat wise was spot on. However I do have a few major gripes with the 'hardness' of this game. Don't get me wrong I'm good at dark souls and love a challenge but particularly towards the end of the game it seemed like the developers started using cheap tactics to try and and get me to to rage and make the experience harder; I'm talking about things such as an ogre suddenly bursting through a wall without warning and killing me instantly or bonfires (which serve as checkpoints) being hidden under stairs or behind illusionary walls which I would miss unless I had previous knowledge of them Being there. Finally there seemed to be a lot more bosses which either outnumbered you, were uninventive such as a guy in a suit of armour or just damn right easy cough cough covetous demon. Overall despite its cheap tactics towards the end and some boring boss fights I recommend it. Expand
  37. Jul 26, 2014
    So, Dark Souls 2.

Story : If you have played Dark Souls before, you'll know the kind of theme that has been set already. For those of you who skipped the first game, lore wise you won't be in for much of a treat. The characters aren't all that interesting in the sequel, to be fair you wouldn't care at all if they died because you don't feel any form of attachment to them. Gameplay :
    So, Dark Souls 2.

Gameplay : So, many things have been improved upon over the original. The combat mechanics have been tweaked a fair bit which as a PvP player, made fights far more interesting compared to the consistent back-stab fishing from the original. The movement has also been refined, you feel more in control of your characters movements now, whether traveling or fighting. The enemies in the game are diverse when it comes to difficulty, they still require decent thought process and strategies to beat, but you'll find yourself being ganked on by enemies more in this game which in my opinion feels like a cheap difficulty factor. Enemies have better tracking on this game too, melee based enemies consistently pressure you and sometimes force you into making mistakes due to their tenacity but that's just the norm with Dark Souls.

Graphics : The game looks much better, smoother and detailed. The only thing which put me off was the level design. With the original game, each area felt connected, with this one, areas feel out of place and simply do not make sense in terms of how you transition from one place to another.

Sound : The sound is fairly good, nothing to complain about on this front. Although, I will add that the song when fighting the end boss compared to the fight with Gwyn on the original felt a bit lackluster, which in my opinion made for a fairly mediocre encounter.

Overall : Truth be told, when it comes to gameplay, DS2 is the much better game. However the characters, level design and lore felt a bit lackluster. The major boss encounters in the game were a bit boring, not due to their mechanics but simply the idea that each fight felt somewhat pointless. You still gain that sense of achievement though so if you want a decent challenge you won't go unfed. It's definitely worth picking up.

Too long ; didn't read : Buy Dark Souls 2 for the Gameplay / Buy Dark Souls for the experience. They both shine in different areas.
  38. Jul 25, 2014
    Great for bosses. That is about it, the game still plays almost exactly the same as the previous two, people will claim that there is new content such as power stance and Hexes, those people are wrong, there is nothing really new.
    The only real difficulty of the game still comes from poor animations and mechanics, if you get hit by someone returning to their default stance after you avoid there attack, the animation of their movement will inflict as much damage to you as their attack would have.
    Multiplayer is still 50/50.
    There is still not a decent story line.
  39. Jul 21, 2014
    this game sucks so bad.
    i'm totally glad I didn't pay for it.
    games like this are the reason I bootleg my games. the buttholes push this garbage on us and say it's gold and people eat it up. I must admit I fell for all the hoopla, and downloaded it, but to my dismay, I hate it. it's like it's unfinished or something. There is NO SAVE feature. something that people who have lives
    this game sucks so bad.
    i'm totally glad I didn't pay for it.
    it's like it's unfinished or something.
    There is NO SAVE feature. something that people who have lives actually need.
    that ALONE should be enough to make people stop and think.

I don't feel bad for making copies of this game because it is garbage and the only way i'll ever give Namco any of my money is... hey, i'll NEVER give Namco another dime.
    HOW IS NAMCO STILL ALLOWED to make games?
    dark souls II my butt.
    I hate this game.
    people give it high ratings because they don't have anything else to play, or it is as close to the lives they will never actually have that they want. like when people play those crappy tomb raider games, but reality those games suck too and they only play them because they like laura croft. im not gay or a lame, so I can speak my mind.

this game is GARBAGE STAY AWAY FROM IT
  40. Jul 19, 2014
    While it's by no means a bad game; Dark Souls II, unfortunately, falls a long way short of the near perfect original Dark Souls. In terms of combat, world design, enemy design and boss design; Dark Souls II just doesn't live up to it's predecessor, or the hype generated prior to release. 10/10 for the cloth physics though :)
  41. Jul 19, 2014
    Alright, I'll try to cover almost everything about dark souls 2. Just like in DS1, every time you die you become a hollow. And trust me, this will happen A LOT. It also means you lose all the souls you have collected up to that point and lose bit of your max HP (You'll lose up to 50% of max HP). There's good news and bad news when you lose those souls. The good news is that you can goAlright, I'll try to cover almost everything about dark souls 2. Just like in DS1, every time you die you become a hollow. And trust me, this will happen A LOT. It also means you lose all the souls you have collected up to that point and lose bit of your max HP (You'll lose up to 50% of max HP). There's good news and bad news when you lose those souls. The good news is that you can go retrieve those souls from where you have died. The bad news is that if you die along the way, and I MEAN WHEN YOU ARE 1/4 INCHES AWAY AND YOU DIE, those souls will be gone forever. This is why entering white mist with large amount of souls is not a good idea, since there could be a boss behind it. This is why it is a good idea to spend those souls regularly on leveling up, buying new gears, upgrading those gears, etc. This way, you won't have much to lose. The boss fights are epic too. The music that cues when the fight begins perfectly matches the look of the boss. Some bosses are pretty easy, but I feel the difficulty of these bosses goes up way too suddenly. Every area accept for the first two have one or two bosses, and while one boss can be easy the other can be really hard, meaning you'll have to come back later after you level up more. The combat mechanic has definitely improved. The dual wielding is fully functional and you can create new combos with it. One of the common strategy I use is lock on, go around, hit it from side or back. Your rolling will be your life savior, and you'll need to learn to time the roll perfectly, or else you'll still get hit.

As much as this game is punishingly difficult, that does not mean it feels rewarding. Entering new areas are very exciting, and every areas have something to explore. The first open area that you'll enter is called Majula, and when you enter this area It;ll take your breath away with it's gorgeous view. But that doesn't mean I like all the areas. Some areas are dark and it requires you to use the torch, and the lighting can be very annoying since your shadow goes everywhere. Also when you want to dual-wield, you have to drop the torch and go find nearest fire source to light it up again.

Lastly, I want to mention that This game WILL annoy/make you rage. But it'll do that just enough to make you want to try again. You'll have mental breakdown at least once, but you won't have another one for a long time.

Dark Souls 2 is a great game, with nice graphic (even on the 360) but it is still one of the hardest games I've every played. 9/10
  42. Jul 18, 2014
    Using familiar mechanics and style, Dark Souls is one of the best games of this year. Compared to the original however, the game doesn't feel as polished. Some areas have (no pun intended) no soul to them. You walk mostly in a straight line, with one few branching paths. I mean, it's still Dark Souls and by god there's a lot of exploring to do, but to me, it never felt interesting, notUsing familiar mechanics and style, Dark Souls is one of the best games of this year. Compared to the original however, the game doesn't feel as polished. Some areas have (no pun intended) no soul to them. You walk mostly in a straight line, with one few branching paths. I mean, it's still Dark Souls and by god there's a lot of exploring to do, but to me, it never felt interesting, not even slightly. Dark Souls 1 featured a world that was interconnected and exploring this world was really satisfying: Finding all kinds of shortcuts or finally reaching that area that you couldn't get to before was amazingly satisfying. In Dark Souls 2 however, this feeling is mostly absent, probably because of the lackluster level design.
    Now don't get me wrong, I loved playing the 50 hours I put in Dark Souls 2's story, but replaying the game never really occurred to me. I didn't want to go through the game again with a different build or approach, something that Dark Souls 1 really well.
    In short, Dark Souls 2 is a fantastic game, but isn't a masterpiece like it's predecessor. It solved some of the original's problems, while adding new ones too. It could've been so much more, it could've been another amazing adventure that we would cherish, but in the end, it simply didn't. It's...forgettable.
  43. Jul 6, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is a good game, but I feel it is a step down from Dark Souls. I'm not sure if others feel the same, but the way Dark Souls was connected by shortcuts It really made the world feel together. Some points in dark souls 2 don't make sense where they are placed and shortcuts are lame now that you can fast travel. The combat and how it plays feels similar enough to Dark Souls soDark Souls 2 is a good game, but I feel it is a step down from Dark Souls. I'm not sure if others feel the same, but the way Dark Souls was connected by shortcuts It really made the world feel together. Some points in dark souls 2 don't make sense where they are placed and shortcuts are lame now that you can fast travel. The combat and how it plays feels similar enough to Dark Souls so once I got used to it I had fun. Though I was letdown by the bosses in Dark Souls 2 which are mostly all re-skins of bosses from previous games with slightly different moves.So most the bosses felt kind of uninspired except for a few.A little more than half way through the game I was getting a little bored. Probably because I was expecting more.I still completed it, but felt it was missing something. The game was good and worth a purchase, but it is not amazing like Dark Souls. Expand
  44. Jul 3, 2014
    I am going to say first the the Dark Souls series is most likely my favorite game series, so this review will be a bit biased.
    When I first started the game, I will admit it was very confusing in comparison to Dark Soul's beginning. however with a bit of trial and error, a lot of luck and some dying, I soon came to enjoy the difficulty of finding your own path.
    Dark Souls continues to
    Dark Souls continues to do something that most games lack anymore and that is give the player a real challenge. Some may call it tedious repetitive work, but it really is a tough game to play and every time I go through the game I am met with another entertaining challenge once again.
    Multiplayer is a lot more entertaining and fun, as well as cooperative multiplayer.
    The story (if you look into the lore of the game from speculation on YouTube, my personal favorite is Vaati) you will find a story that is so intertwined within itself that you have to really look and delve into the game to uncover all the amazing secrets it holds. I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who wants a fun challenge that you wont get in many other games out there.
  45. Jul 3, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is the biggest piece of garbage of a game ever created. SERIOUSLY DUE NOT BUY THIS GAME OR SUPPORT THE COMPANY IN ANY WAY. Everything about this game is broken. The camera is garbage. The lock on mechanics don't work and the hit detection is so bad that the game gets to be unplayable.

Dark Souls had always advertised that it is a hard game well it is not what it is is incredibly cheap. It is like FromSoftware ran out of idea's and thought hey how can we make this game seem hard? Oh I know at any point we can we will make the game so frustratingly cheap that it will seem difficult. Add this with virtually every system in the game being broken and poorly designed and you have something that is basically unplayable and beyond frustrating.

You no longer get that sense of accomplishment from beating a boss now your just thankful that it is over because all you did was die 20 times to memorize all the animations of the enemies and lucked out that the game got stuck in a loop of animations that let you get the upper hand. Worst of all 90% of my deaths didn't come from bosses they came from cheap encounters in the environment so there really was never a sense of accomplishment. The only difficult boss I found was because was because the designers thought that it would be ok to put a boss fight on a ledge with a hole in the middle and have all the boss's moves knock me back. He never once actually killed me the falls from being knocked back or rolling out of the way did.

This leads to the absolute worst part of the game. Poor level design. The best example of this is the numerous levels they included that were flooded with water. Not only can I not move well but I either faced enemies who could kill me with a hit or two which you can no longer dodge thanks to the water or they included ranged enemies that will kill you before you can even reach them. That right there is not fun and leads to controller smashing frustration.

Playing this game is like playing a game with your friends who are obviously cheating to win but you can't do anything about it you just lose and have to live with it. This game is a waste of money and unless you have the most patience of anyone I ever met you will likely get to a point in the game which you cannot get past and for me if a game is made in a way that makes it so you cannot keep playing than it is not a good game.
  46. Jul 1, 2014
    Dark Souls was and is my favorite game of all time, so when I heard about the sequel I was ecstatic. At first I loved the game and adored the changes they made from the original, but slowly I started to see the cracks. The bosses were mostly boringly easy (compared to the original) and seemed dull and generic. Most of the bosses could be circled around and stabbed while they ineptlyDark Souls was and is my favorite game of all time, so when I heard about the sequel I was ecstatic. At first I loved the game and adored the changes they made from the original, but slowly I started to see the cracks. The bosses were mostly boringly easy (compared to the original) and seemed dull and generic. Most of the bosses could be circled around and stabbed while they ineptly attempted to hit you, and the bosses that weren't easy were stupidly hard. For example, there is an optional boss in the game called the Ancient Dragon. This is the worst boss in the game. He kills you in one hit with a fire attack that covers most of the battle area. To attack him you must bait a specific attack of his and then sprint at him only to poke his feet, taking about one sixty-fourth of his health away, and then sprint back and hope he doesn't hit you with his fire. That is to get one or two hits. Now, I'd be fine with this if it was a completely optional boss that was made to be practically impossible, but this boss drops an item you need to kill another optional boss who otherwise has stupidly high defenses.
    Overall, the game's main problem is that it's Dark Souls 2. If it was a game from another company with another title, I'd be great. But altogether it falls far short of its predecessor. It lacks the same reasonable challenge that Dark Souls 1 had. The areas and enemies in the original were diverse and strange, but the enemies in Dark Souls 2 were all boring and just seemed like re-skinned versions of the same old thing. This game was a major disappointment to me, and should disappoint anyone who played and loved the original.

TL;DR: Not nearly as good as the first one.
  47. Jun 26, 2014
    Although not breaking any barriers than its prequel Dark Souls 2 offers a lot of fun and difficulty. It is not a game that is frustratingly difficult or rage inducing. Each death is your fault due to lack of knowledge or just a miss timed roll. The game is a bit more forgiving than the first but the challenge is still there. As a seasoned player I died many times but got the hang of it theAlthough not breaking any barriers than its prequel Dark Souls 2 offers a lot of fun and difficulty. It is not a game that is frustratingly difficult or rage inducing. Each death is your fault due to lack of knowledge or just a miss timed roll. The game is a bit more forgiving than the first but the challenge is still there. As a seasoned player I died many times but got the hang of it the more I played.

The game slightly lacks the depth its prequel had and the music is not as good, although it seems as if there is more variety in the tracks so that is a plus.

Dark Souls 2 also makes you question the adventure you are on and gives you the task of filling in the blanks. That is what makes a good adventure because it is YOUR adventure. Every player will have their own unique experience which is something that is essential to the Souls series.

This game has much better co-op than the previous entries in the series and I would be lying if I said I did not summon someone for at least one of the boss battles.

Dark Souls 2 is a must and I would argue that it is a game for almost everyone. You do not have to have prior knowledge of the series and do not have to be an avid video game player to enjoy this game.
    Amazing game, epic experience!
  48. Jun 25, 2014
    The original Dark Souls stands not only as one of the best games of the last generation, but perhaps one of the greatest games ever made. Its atmosphere, gameplay, and difficulty made it an experience unlike any other before it. In this regard, Dark Souls II had large shoes to fill. Thankfully, FromSoftware’s latest entry into the series successfully rekindles the magic of the first gameThe original Dark Souls stands not only as one of the best games of the last generation, but perhaps one of the greatest games ever made. Its atmosphere, gameplay, and difficulty made it an experience unlike any other before it. In this regard, Dark Souls II had large shoes to fill. Thankfully, FromSoftware’s latest entry into the series successfully rekindles the magic of the first game by advancing its gameplay and accessibility.

One excellent aspect of Dark Souls II is its gameplay. The Souls series is known for its impeccable mechanics, and Dark Souls II is no exception. Everything from swordplay to sorcery maintains its high level of detail and complexity. However, these mechanics have been greatly polished, allowing the gameplay experience to be far smoother. These refined controls are accompanied by the traditional and crippling difficulty of the series. Throughout a playthrough, a player will encounter seemingly insurmountable obstacles that test his or her desire to win. The game is also peppered with confrontations with opponents vastly superior in strength, size, and tenacity.

To many people, this difficulty may seem tedious and unappealing. However, the difficulty is what makes the game special. Every failure is the player’s fault, and the game centers itself on learning from defeat. Some of the most exhilarating and fulfilling moments in gaming come from finally besting an enemy after hours of seeming defeat. The fulfillment felt from each victory makes Dark Souls II a remarkably satisfying game to play.

On a technical level, Dark Souls II far surpasses its predecessor. The original Dark Souls struggled to maintain a decent frame rate, and at certain areas the game became nearly unplayable. Dark Souls II, however, is able to run smoothly, never once dropping below 30 frames per second. The improved frame rates, coupled with the reworked graphics, ensure that the game is the series’ most technically sound entry. These enhancements allow the difficulty of the game to stem from actual obstacles rather than unintended technical problems.

The most interesting aspect of Dark Souls II is how it delivers its story. Rather than being presented directly to the player, the narrative is presented subtly. Players are dropped into a world with minimal background information and instructed to piece the big picture together themselves. The lore of the game comes from the enemies fought, locations visited, and items collected. This approach to a narrative makes the game world feel far more natural, as though it existed for thousands of years before you first enter it. And while the melancholy tale of the rise and fall of the kingdom is Drangleic is admittedly less interesting than that of the original Dark Souls, it is still a story worth uncovering.

As a whole, Dark Souls II is superb. FromSoftware has succeeded again in making a punishing yet fulfilling game. The main problem with Dark Souls II, however, is that it doesn’t quite live up to its predecessor. While Dark Souls II is more accessible and easier to play, it feels more like a game and less like a true experience. The original Dark Souls was remarkable in both design and atmosphere. The creativity and enjoyably depressing nature of the original produced a remarkable experience unlike any game made before it. Dark Souls II does not live up to this mold. It tries very hard to rekindle the magic of its predecessor, but in doing so it fails to find its own identity.

Dark Souls II is a better game, but it is not a better experience.
  49. Jun 7, 2014
    This game has awesome pvp and pve with random people or friends, this and borderlands series are the only games i ever felt could have a second playthrough and still be fun. The only bad thing about the game is if you want to play with friends its kinda hard but its not made to play with friends. It has awesome weapons each one usable and unique for each and every person none linearThis game has awesome pvp and pve with random people or friends, this and borderlands series are the only games i ever felt could have a second playthrough and still be fun. The only bad thing about the game is if you want to play with friends its kinda hard but its not made to play with friends. It has awesome weapons each one usable and unique for each and every person none linear combat. All I have to say is its hard sometimes, (harder than any other game but you will find tricks to make it easy) very long, a lot of stuff to do and collect, you will feel proud, and 10/10 Expand
  50. Jun 5, 2014
    This is a step back from dark Souls.
    The ghost damage one can get from a katana R2 etc or the mystical hitbox damage one takes when "out of range" of enemy radius is astounding.
    From seems to want gamers to spend 300+ hours on lackluster arenas that require grinding for example the blue sentinels (10,000) souls per orb.) On PC the game looks excellent , the story nothing to write home
    This is a step back from dark Souls.
    On PC the game looks excellent , the story nothing to write home about . It is obvious Miyazaki was "busy" getting to be president of from.
  51. Jun 2, 2014
    One of my fav. games of the past 5 years. Very rarely do I spend well over 200 hours on a game and thirst for more. It's not perfect - hit detection can be off, and pvp is unbalanced overall. But I cannot give it less than a 10 when I know I'll be consistently playing this for at least the next 3 months (probably 6).
  52. Jun 1, 2014
    Amazing game from the boss battles to world to the weapons. If you liked dark souls you probably like this game too. Its even harder then the first and adds even more content that will keep you coming back day in and day out for weeks. It is a must buy for anyone who likes a challenge and is overall an almost perfect game. From software hit it out of the park with this game and is quicklyAmazing game from the boss battles to world to the weapons. If you liked dark souls you probably like this game too. Its even harder then the first and adds even more content that will keep you coming back day in and day out for weeks. It is a must buy for anyone who likes a challenge and is overall an almost perfect game. From software hit it out of the park with this game and is quickly becoming one of my favorite games for the xbox 360 and its managing to keep me away from my ps4 and pc. Expand
  53. May 29, 2014
    I love Dark souls 2. Anyways I like what it offered me. A fun co-op, a challenging PvP, some insane bosses. I would definitely suggest buying this game. I love how it challenges me unlike most games.
  54. May 29, 2014
    This game is tons of fun and a lot of content for you. Visuals look good for this console generation, nothing wrong about that. And yes I know, the E3 Trailer showed better graphics, but we all saw the newer in Trailer and in the Beta, that the graphics were already downgraded after like 2 months since the announcement. The gameplay is fantastic as always and the game is challengingThis game is tons of fun and a lot of content for you. Visuals look good for this console generation, nothing wrong about that. And yes I know, the E3 Trailer showed better graphics, but we all saw the newer in Trailer and in the Beta, that the graphics were already downgraded after like 2 months since the announcement. The gameplay is fantastic as always and the game is challenging enough to keep you motivated. The game also has a really smooth framerate. But the first one was a bit better, simply because this one seemed a bit rushed. Nether the less, this is a great game and you should buy it if you are into that genre. Expand
  55. May 25, 2014
    No other game feels like the Dark / Demon Souls franchise. It is such a well polished game. The combat system is brutally satisfying, the visuals are beautiful, the music and sound effects help suck you into the fantasy world. The online system appears to work very well now. It does appear to be a bit easier now as the ability to summon other players to assist has become very easy.
  56. May 24, 2014
    One of my top five favorite games, 3 of which are Demon Souls, Dark Souls, and Dark Souls II. Dark Souls II is challenging, the combat is fun, and levelling and exploring the world is addictive. The game isn't for everyone, but once you get into it you will be sucked in.
  57. May 22, 2014
    Well, don´t know where to begin, Dark souls 1 was the nirvana of games in 2011 with Skyrim, but this game, make you feel like what is supposed to be, a game, it's not hard, it's just what games is about, at least a good game, blood, sweat and tears. The experience beats any other category in Dark Souls 2.
  58. May 17, 2014
    WOW! This game is amazing.... I have played Dark Souls for long periods of time in the past and surely enough this one is no different. DS2 is a huge step forward from DS in beauty, world size, and combat options. I see a lot of bad reviews from people complaining about this kicka$$ game, but that's because they are trying to play the game in odd/specific ways and then claiming the game isWOW! This game is amazing.... I have played Dark Souls for long periods of time in the past and surely enough this one is no different. DS2 is a huge step forward from DS in beauty, world size, and combat options. I see a lot of bad reviews from people complaining about this kicka$$ game, but that's because they are trying to play the game in odd/specific ways and then claiming the game is bad because they cant get it to work their way. Do no listen to the bad reviews, I read all of them and not one of them was even remotely accurate. I bet most of the bad reviewers did not even play the game based on the points they complain about... The bottom line is DS2 is a wonderful, beautiful , and addicting game with lots to explore and tons of bosses to slay. Grab a friend and play through some fantastic fights, me and my buddies have played together since the beginning and we are in NG+++ now and still loving it. Expand
  59. May 14, 2014
    ok if you dont know what dark souls 1 is... well... save yourself some suffering and avoid this game, i only played the game offline... i dont know if online its the way its ment to be played, but man... after 3 hours i hated this game more than anything before in my life.... dry, lame, no music or inmertion feeling, monsters that one shot kill u, rolling doesnt save you, your shield worksok if you dont know what dark souls 1 is... well... save yourself some suffering and avoid this game, i only played the game offline... i dont know if online its the way its ment to be played, but man... after 3 hours i hated this game more than anything before in my life.... dry, lame, no music or inmertion feeling, monsters that one shot kill u, rolling doesnt save you, your shield works for nothing.... well... if you like DS1, this is your game,... i played it after DS2,.... and i hate that more.... Expand
  60. May 12, 2014
    Lack of world connectivity -1/2. Lack of insanity inducing darkness -1/2. Also, I feel like the devs made a bad choice putting all of the path choices in the first half of the game instead of in the second half. It just gets a little boring towards the end and I found my only motivation being the promise of NewGame+. This is a pretty big problem and I felt it was necessary to removeLack of world connectivity -1/2. Lack of insanity inducing darkness -1/2. Also, I feel like the devs made a bad choice putting all of the path choices in the first half of the game instead of in the second half. It just gets a little boring towards the end and I found my only motivation being the promise of NewGame+. This is a pretty big problem and I felt it was necessary to remove another point -1. Despite these issues, Dark Souls II is an amazing game. The lack of connectivity is almost made up for how wide and open the areas are, although they do begin to lose their open feeling in the second half of the game. The combat is a good as ever and things like parrying, backstabs and criticals are so much harder to land in PVP. For those who love games with a heavy emphasis on combat and exciting gameplay, and who love games with a light dusting of discovery and exploration then this game is for you. Also there is an alternative for completing the game for players who would rather participate in PVP instead of playing through the areas. If this game were to do some things that the first game did I probably would have given it a 9 but if they had then it's likely that the gaming community would complain about it "not having innovation." Every game has its issues and this game is no exception, it's problems are small and don't make the game any less fun. The Souls combat is still as fresh as ever and the story and lore is still as hidden as its ever been. If you like a challenge then this is a must buy. Expand
  61. May 11, 2014
    Lacks the originality and depth of the first game, but is still a great sequel that gives fans a lot more of what they love, while letting new players experience what Dark Souls truly is. This isn't to say the game is easy; in fact, subsequent playthroughs become near-impossible without some sort of NPC or online summon. so if your worried its too easy (or about that Teen rating) thenLacks the originality and depth of the first game, but is still a great sequel that gives fans a lot more of what they love, while letting new players experience what Dark Souls truly is. This isn't to say the game is easy; in fact, subsequent playthroughs become near-impossible without some sort of NPC or online summon. so if your worried its too easy (or about that Teen rating) then don't be, because its a punishingly hard and sometimes frightening game. Expand
  62. May 11, 2014
    I am literally out of words, this game is a masterpiece just like the other souls games.
    in some aspects it is actually better. There is a fixed frame-rate, so no more fps drops. and the controls are more responsive than ever. There are some minor flaws, many enemies are re-used, little variation in boss fights and the plot is not quite as good as the first one. But these are such minor flaws.
    Where the original Dark Souls was a 10/10, this is a solid 9/10. next time bring Hidetaka Miyazaki back to the souls franchise!!
  63. May 10, 2014
    The main issue with DS2 is that it's a game with no soul ! It becomes repetitive way too soon, combat is flawed, rolling most of the time will be useless, throwing knifes do more damage than arrows (and won't consume stamina) making bows just trash. Warping right from the beginning really upsets immersion. Bosses are bland. The interconnected maze Lordran was is gone, Majula is aThe main issue with DS2 is that it's a game with no soul ! It becomes repetitive way too soon, combat is flawed, rolling most of the time will be useless, throwing knifes do more damage than arrows (and won't consume stamina) making bows just trash. Warping right from the beginning really upsets immersion. Bosses are bland. The interconnected maze Lordran was is gone, Majula is a rather straight road world.
    All in all, creators decided to "improve" things that were perfect. Only in certain aspects they succeeded.
  64. May 9, 2014
    I didn't understand nothing about this game play, is mostly what to do
    ...............................................................................
  65. May 9, 2014
    Absolutely amazing game. It's a lot of fun, but this time around it's really not as hard. Shorter, too. A lot of the enemies have the same archetypes and they got plain lazy on the bosses. But, it's still a Souls game and a lot of fun. I've put in so many hours into this game on Xbox, but when I got it on PC, the "PC friendly port" was nowhere to be found. Sure, there were a few mediocreAbsolutely amazing game. It's a lot of fun, but this time around it's really not as hard. Shorter, too. A lot of the enemies have the same archetypes and they got plain lazy on the bosses. But, it's still a Souls game and a lot of fun. I've put in so many hours into this game on Xbox, but when I got it on PC, the "PC friendly port" was nowhere to be found. Sure, there were a few mediocre graphics options but I still felt it was lacking. Maybe I've played too long and have got to used to the world, but in my opinion it could have been bigger, or at least not so linear. The game is definitely not perfect, but it's a lot of fun and is worth the buy. Expand
  66. May 8, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 had a lot to live up to from the moment is was conceived following the smash hit that was its predecessor.
    And simply put, it does not live up to it. It doesn't have as interesting a world, as memorable boss encounters or as intriguing NPCs. It is probably the most dull of the entries into the Souls series.
    And yet, even at its worst, Dark Souls 2 still offers a better
    And yet, even at its worst, Dark Souls 2 still offers a better experience than most other games of this genre to the player. Though the difficulty level has certainly been toned down, the game play and online matchmaking are more refined than they ever have been.
    If you loved the first one as I did, you'll like this one.
  67. May 7, 2014
    While a good, solid game in its own right, "Dark Souls II" is ultimately somewhat of a step backward from its predecessor.

The change in directors is evident in the form of a weaker plot, inconsistent world-building, lack of variety in enemies, and aggravating changes in combat mechanics (such as increased enemy tracking) which come off more as difficulty for difficulty's sake rather than to offer a rewarding challenge to players. In addition, while not necessarily a problem, the obvious downgrade in graphics and lighting may come as a slight disappointment to fans.

Overall, "Dark Souls II" is a flawed, yet serviceable entry in the "Souls" series, and the aforementioned issues are possibly just growing pains from the change in direction that will hopefully be ironed out in future installments.
  68. May 7, 2014
    Okay, so i've finished Dark Souls II now. I haven't played any other games from this company and i was curious indeed about what's the hype about. The difficulty etc.

I landed on level 141 and the whole game took me around 60hours to complete. Story: It's nothing that will catch your eye. Its about King Vendrick that cursed you, and your seeking the four giant souls to blast him

I landed on level 141 and the whole game took me around 60hours to complete.

Story:
    It's nothing that will catch your eye. Its about King Vendrick that cursed you, and your seeking the four giant souls to blast him down. In the game, you will experience around 5 cutscenes (which is good).
    I didnt care for the story at all, the world and all the enemies are already consuming ur attention.

Gameplay:
    Here is where the game shines, it has some flaws around the hit box, and sometimes you can get glitced, example: I kited a dragon and when i went thru a cave, his flame breath killed me from the side which wouldnt happen realistic. But hey, other than that the gameplay is flawless. You have super combat with an impressive shield/sword combat or an ranged class. Enemies are just swinging giant swords, casting magic and knives at you. It's beautifuly done and i applaud From Software for doing this. Their work is very impressive and i havent seen such a wonderful combat system in a while within RPG-genre.

Graphics:
    For me, its all about the inside. (^^) but for some people who really depend on graphics, Dark Souls have their biggest flaw here, or well the only flaw that i would say. The game isnt really pretty. It looks like it's been made in 2012, or heck even later then that. Skyrim is more beautiful on all places, even tho it's alot older. I didnt care about that, but im giving you guys a hint.

Tho the game have some beautiful enviroments and the arts of the enemies, trees, bosses are just phenonemal. When you play the game, you can already tell from the first hours that they havent put all their effort here. It's clear that they went old-school hardcore and did all the work on the details of the game instead of the shallowness of graphics.

Audio:
    Beautiful songs, haunting and even tense sounds. They have it all covered. Your feelings will adapt to the songs of the situation since they have covered so nicely, you can tell when your getting scared, chased or just "chilling" around. It's alot like Skyrim. They really depend on the situation and i love it alot. Haven't noticed anything bad.

Difficulty: You dont have any options in the start of the game, it's only one difficulty. (Which is "normal" i guess?)
    Me myself prefer a challenge, and i have probably died around 200-300 times under the first round of the game. I would suggest playing this in a calm state of mind because other than that, your gonna rage alot. The thing i like is that the game itself isnt really hard, it just takes alot of effort, concentration and focus on enemy patterns. It's like what they mentioned here in one of the Critic Review: You gotta let Dark Souls 2 devour you first before you can devour it, and it pretty much sums it up.

You will die alot, and only because of your own mistakes and not because you ended up in a glitch or something and that's what i like. You die, take a deep breath and think for yourself: "What did i do wrong?) And thats the beauty of this game.

Anyway, here's a quick review from me. I wont bother with spellings or anything else. I think you got the point.

Pros:
    Amazing combat
    beautiful and fitting sound
    enriched area's of mystic items, hiddens paths etc.
    Bosses with unique spells and patterns, alot of items and weapons.

Cons:
    Outdated graphics,

The NPC's didnt really interest me. The fact that some of them give you an item after 5 times you have spoken to them, dosent give you the motivation to actually listen and engage like you would do in Skyrim. And some of them have poor conversation-routes.

Most of the things arent explained in the game, I had to check the internet for guides, walkthroughs and such cause the games dosent give you an path really. It just kicks you into this world and "bye".

Wasen't really an issue for me, but for some people i can tell that it would be frustrating, also some of the inventory signs dosent have an explanation. I couldnt, or should i say i cant still tell what some of the icon stands for and i get that the game wanna make you explore it, but you have to draw the line somewhere. I would like to know what benefits my armor does and how it helps me.

For those who like an RPG-Action with challenge, interesting enemys and bosses that WILL make you rage or even cry at some point. I recommend this. After i bought this, im gonna purchase the first DS and try it out.
  69. May 7, 2014
    I've been excited for games before. I simply cannot wait for this game to come out! It looks incredible. I have no doubt that this will be just as challenging, if not (hopefully) more challenging than Dark Souls was. I am simply ecstatic. This game is on my must buy list for next year.
  70. May 5, 2014
    Update on the Update: Final Review

I am giving a final score of 2. I don't play online and I don't look at Wiki's, I enjoy the challenge of figuring everything out on my own. I spent two hours trying to figure out a way to stop poison from flowing into an area. Fireball didn't work, and my +10 Flame sword did not work........but my torch did. Just plain stupid....fire is fire, if I
    Update on the Update: Final Review

I am giving a final score of 2.

I don't play online and I don't look at Wiki's, I enjoy the challenge of figuring everything out on my own. I spent two hours trying to figure out a way to stop poison from flowing into an area. Fireball didn't work, and my +10 Flame sword did not work........but my torch did. Just plain stupid....fire is fire, if I can light it with my torch I should be able to light it with my fireball.

Bad graphics and fire/magic animations are brutal.
    Poor hit detection, I get hit and lose most of my health but no sound or controller "rumble".
    Visually I do not get hit, but I lose health. Full stamina button delays, especially on Estus flasks.
    Some buttons flow and can "stack" but others do not.
    Inventory animations looks like an early 90s RPG (Dark Souls Inventory Screen was perfect).
    Balance issues, you have to be so powerful to beat bosses that the regular enemies are too easy.
    Emerald Herald repeats herself every time, take away from immersion.
    I subtracted a whole point for having to chase down Crystal Lizards, having them cornered but still unable to hit them with certain weapons.
    Having to warp back to the Emerald Herald is a waste of time...I am over level 125....so over 125 warps and 125 times...seek greater souls.
    After playing single player, I wanted to play on-line......I did not have privileges. Apparently need Xbox Live Gold....
    Too much crap I will never use. I finally figure out the secret passage (or die 15 times trying to make a jump) to a chest and there is nothing useful inside....at least in Dark Souls the majority of the items you found were useful.

Like I said in my original review, if another company tried to ripoff the Dark Souls formula, this is what it would be.

Ongoing Sarcastic Comments:
    I actually warped to the Drangelic Wal-Mart. Believe it or not but their plastic toy weapons last longer than my +10 Blacksteel Katana.
    Drangleic, where magical fire from enemies burn you and only you. Friends of enemies get a little warmer but no damage.
    Emerald Herald "I'll tell you what buddy, I'll stop repeating myself when you collect the right souls. I don't care if I have to repeart myself 130 times. And I am not going to tell you where to go either, all I know is there is a forest down there and..........tell you what, I'll meet you at the castle, what castle you say? Well I am not going to tell you that."
    Job Posting for Covenant: We are the hardest covenant and will make your life a living hell. But don't worry, you will be well rewarded with stuff you already have!
    Straid (Voiced by Kingseeker Fampt) "I'll tell you what, you give me those souls from the bosses you killed and I will give you really crappy weapons. Well not really crappy, they are actually really cool to look at and use but I can't guarantee they will do very much damage. Ah man, I just can't lie to you, you are probably better off just using your +5 bandits knife.
    Straid cont'd: Oh and I have awesome spells....or they used to be awesome before you went and downloaded the update dumba$$.
    In Drangleic sometimes you take one sip or two sips of your estus flask. And sometimes not even at all.
    Drangleic, where only some of the environment is breakable. Massive support pillars yes, brown metal boxes...not so much.
    Drangleic, load up on VIT so can finally wear that cool armor and die in two shots anyways.
    Obviously the same company that built the walls in Lodran are the same company that built Drangleic. "You see this wall here? Yup, specially made so enemy weapons can slice through it like butter! Player weapons, no way Jose!!"
    Jump....don't roll don't roll don't roll....dammit.........meh I didn't need those souls anyway.
    Tee hee...I am lying on the ground and you can't hit me!!!
    Drangleic, where ladders are home free for the enemies.
  71. May 2, 2014
    Best rpg game of year.Game has very good atmosphereWhile you were playing game you can feel you are in game.Co-op system is the best co-op system ı have seen ever.
  72. May 2, 2014
    Easily one of the best and most rewarding games this year. Good follow up to Dark Souls 1, able to keep sense of danger, discovery, mystery, and high level of challenge that we all came to love. The only downside I feel I can pick out is the lack of a good story. In Dark Souls I felt the whole time like I was working hard and sweating during boss battles for a single purpose and all ofEasily one of the best and most rewarding games this year. Good follow up to Dark Souls 1, able to keep sense of danger, discovery, mystery, and high level of challenge that we all came to love. The only downside I feel I can pick out is the lack of a good story. In Dark Souls I felt the whole time like I was working hard and sweating during boss battles for a single purpose and all of the areas and bosses fed the main story. I think Dark Souls 2 lacks the sense of interconnectivity with the levels and bosses and you feel like you are just beating areas to, well, beat that particular area. Other than that, great game, great sequel. Expand
  73. Apr 30, 2014
    Un jeu sans âme, une suite sans idées et assez moche, bien ennuyeuse, un titre faussement élitiste. Bref, ça n'arrive pas à la cheville d'un Skyrim par exemple.
  74. Apr 29, 2014
    I very much love Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls but I found Dark Souls 2 to be a BIG Disappointment. the consequences of dark souls 2 are nothing compared to Demon Souls. The bosses are easy compared to both Dark souls 1 and Demon Souls, there is forced pvp (i like pvp mind you) but the hit detection is complete garbage. Yes I do enjoy the fact that when you die your max health goes down butI very much love Dark Souls 1 and Demon Souls but I found Dark Souls 2 to be a BIG Disappointment. the consequences of dark souls 2 are nothing compared to Demon Souls. The bosses are easy compared to both Dark souls 1 and Demon Souls, there is forced pvp (i like pvp mind you) but the hit detection is complete garbage. Yes I do enjoy the fact that when you die your max health goes down but they ruined it by making the ring that lets you die but not become hollowed (thus pay 7000 souls and boom safe again...) they made weapons relatively ridiculous in this game and magic is bleh... I am on NG+ 15 right now... I found a boss you can repeatedly kill in less than 60 seconds and get 400000 souls for each kill... that's 1.2m souls in 3 minutes... when you see someone in havels armor and he is running and jumping and rolling at light/medium speed its not right... (seen it way to many times) but there are a few nice features for us dual wielders they gave us power stance and they gave us twin blades (woot woot lol) but otherwise if you are looking for a challenge look elsewhere its horriblw here. Expand
  75. Apr 28, 2014
    Combining awe-inspiring environments, a fluid combat system, and limitless customization, Dark Souls II is truly the unforgiving successor to Dark Souls that hardcore fans have been dying for (over and over again).

Doing away with the invincibility frames when rolling found in Dark Souls, Dark Souls II punishes players repeatedly for the smallest mistake that they were used to being able to make in the first game. This is nothing but a blessing, as it forces a huge number of people to approach the game from a completely different angle and adapt to a totally new game, not just a reboot of the first Dark Souls. Of course, these same people will do nothing but b*tch, whine, and moan, complaining that this game is 'broken' and 'unplayable', but as Darwin said, "It is not the strongest species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most responsive to change."

Dark Souls II does away with the problems found in the first Dark Souls that people would continually exploit, making it so that in PvP, any hit on a player can be countered with a hit of their own. Only the most skilled and precise will be able to get away with hitting their target and coming off clean, something that was all to easy in Dark Souls.
  76. Apr 28, 2014
    One of my top 5 favorite games I've ever played. The most polished and well crafted of the Souls games. But, if you don't like challenging games that don't hold your hand and are not linear, skip it. However, it's my game of the year.
  77. Apr 25, 2014
    Dark Souls II is difficult. In fact, it's probably the most difficult game I've ever played in my life, but I enjoyed every second of it.

While off-putting at first, Dark Souls II pulls you in with it's exacting gameplay, brutal difficulty and rewarding bosses, every time I finally defeated a beautifully designed boss I felt I actually accomplished something, and I can't say that for most games I've played.

One of my only gripes with the game is that at times it is difficult to know where to go next, while I respect that they don't explain much I wish that they would have at least given me a general direction of where to go next.

In my opinion, this is my first Game Of The Year contender for 2014.
  78. Apr 24, 2014
    I previously made a por review after playing 10 hours. Now after reintroducing myself back into DS and getting away from the FPS raging I can give a more, intelligent response to the game. It is the most amazing game I've ever played. I never thought I'd see a game better than Demon Souls, but they did it. Over 200 hours of play on my first character and still going strong, cant getI previously made a por review after playing 10 hours. Now after reintroducing myself back into DS and getting away from the FPS raging I can give a more, intelligent response to the game. It is the most amazing game I've ever played. I never thought I'd see a game better than Demon Souls, but they did it. Over 200 hours of play on my first character and still going strong, cant get enough. I truly hope they decide to continually make more Souls games! There are the best games ever made and I'm absolutely obsessed with them. Recommend you buy not only Dark Souls 2, but play them all. This is a series you wont want to have missed out on! Expand
  79. Apr 24, 2014
    This is a great game that has always stuck to its guns.With this game being possible even harder than the others. The new idea of life gems and multiple bosses at once caps it all off
  80. Apr 23, 2014
    Dark souls 2 delivers. It's better than DS1 and it's better than demon's souls.
    Ds2 has the same feel and same game mechanics that DS1 has but everything is little bit enchanced.
    Dark souls 2 delivers. It's better than DS1 and it's better than demon's souls.
    And a lot better curve on the difficulty of the game. DS1 became easy towards the end since your character got stronger. In DS2 you will find out that the bosses get harder and harder some occassional easy ones but still.

+ Better death penalty system
    + More bosses
    + better flask system
    - Some bosses feel pointless

If you have not played the earlier games of the serie then you need to know that:
    The games graphics are not the top of the old consoles but still has lots of beatifull scenes in it. They have actually focused on the gameplay instead of the graphics. same as with other games of the series. There is huge amount of stuff to discover and really great combat system. There's no room for mistakes when fighting bosses. The game has great re-play ability.

There's not many challenging games these days but Dark souls 2 delivers on that part.
  81. Apr 23, 2014
    Let me start by saying i love dark souls 1 and 2 but dark souls 2 has to be my favorite out of the two because of what it did to improve the combat and enemies in the game. The first thing i noticed when i was placed into the first area of the game was the great atmosphere of the game, It sets up a old island that was once beautiful but has been turned into ruins over time. Dark souls 2Let me start by saying i love dark souls 1 and 2 but dark souls 2 has to be my favorite out of the two because of what it did to improve the combat and enemies in the game. The first thing i noticed when i was placed into the first area of the game was the great atmosphere of the game, It sets up a old island that was once beautiful but has been turned into ruins over time. Dark souls 2 also gives the immediate sense of danger even before you get to customize your character because you start with nothing. The character creator hasn't improved though it still has the awkward default faces that can now have custom tattoos but non of this matters because most of the time you wont see your characters face because you are normally wearing a helmet. Combat has been improved dramatically over dark souls 1 you can now do a shield break to stagger and critical hit an enemy and backstabbing has become harder to do which makes the PvP more balanced and fair. That said PvP is now more rewarding and fun because of the reduce in lag and covenants like the rat king covenant let you summon grey spirits of other players into two certain locations that you can unlock traps. npc's and hidden path ways to kill your invader in easier ways. The locations in Drandeliec (dark souls 2) i find better than the those in lordran (dark souls 1) because they are more varied with their own specific theme and enemy types like the forest of fallen giants which houses zombies and giant knights with turtle Armour on their backs, and the gutter which is where all the dead body's and junk get thrown causing poison enemies to spawn down in the pits. Speaking of enemies the AI for most of the enemies has been improved where some will still jump to their death for no reason most and smarter with their attacks using them when you are more vulnerable and run back to heal while others move up to defend them. The bosses in the game are varied in difficulty where some are laughably easy and die in a few seconds some and incredibly hard and require help to beat them which is fine by me because i love a challenge but some were stupidly hard because of things you have to do before you enter the boss area like burn something so the boss arena isn't filled with poison that slowly kills you but heals the boss. Now i want to say some things i dont like about the game, the new system of losing your max health when you did up to 50% is good in theory but when it plays out it isnt fun because the only way to get it back is using a human effigy (which also lets you summon other players to help you) and at the start they are limited which caused me a problem because i had to grind for an hour to get one which i then summoned a person who was great enough to give me lots of Human Effigy but the max health thing seriously screwed me up on certain areas. Another thing which isnt really the games fault and this serves as more of a warning DONT KILL NPC MERCHANTS because you get a sinner status which lets players from the way of blue covenant to invade you as an arbiter and they are normally really powerful and spawn almost next to you giving them a huge advantage if you aren't ready. Another problem is near the end of the game it doesnt tell you what to do with this item you get and its really obscure what you have to do to get to the final boss im not going to say what you have to do but i needed to look it up after 5 hours of searching. On a closing note i would like to say that if you enjoyed demon souls or dark souls 1 get this game because it is the best one yet and i hope it gets a game of the year award from someone. Pros: difficult but fair (most of the time), PvP improved, Lag Improved, Creative areas and enemy design. Cons: losing health when you die with lack of human effigies on the map, doesn't tell you what to do most of the time, unfair PvP spawns in certain areas. Final Score 9/10 Expand
  82. Apr 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is by far the worst game I have ever played. Not because it is difficult is by fact quite easy, not as hard as the original. Because it simply has the most flaw out any game I have ever played.

The UI is a mass of broken functions. If I am holding 99 a maximum of an item, yet I go to collect from a source which has tow items. I have to destroy some of the the maximum item in order to collect the other item of importance. Changing smooth stones at the nest is done slowly, one at a time. Inventory doesn't register any items, which have been placed in the item box. So if I collect an item present in my item box, it won't register that I already have this item. Boss souls which are traded for weapons won't register, if I am holding that same weapon, unlike other items which tell you specifically how many held within inventory. Spells cannot be traded for souls, these collect numerous uses but unlike every other item, they cannot be traded for souls. With spells they have to be painstakingly destroyed as they numerous fill inventory.. Bonfires are reset when traveling between them replenishing all uses and health. Although when using a spell, or item, to travel to a bonfire, this will not replenish any health, or uses without additionally resting again. Items when using functions keys if using only a single item, on a function key, they can go blank creating error. Targeting is within a stones throw of opposing damage, within weapon range. Everything can be avoided from roll away so this system is quite stupid. Targeting has it own set of error after setting a target, this will auto change if facing another direction. There is manual change after setting a target but the computer can auto change. Some weapons won't fire at close range like other item of exactly the same category in error.

The AI are all really stupid. Most can be played round the round about with leading them up and down stairs by dropping off, or around chest ,as they get stuck having to go all the way around never hitting. Some will walk away after engaging returning to their spawns. Some will randomly attack at nothing when not the vicinity of them. Many bosses are identically are the same containing very few differences. Summoned AI are retarded getting stuck, dying to environment hazards, falling down holes, and not entering encounter that they have been summoned for.

Attributes are grossly miscalculated. Seeing huge gains at the start of character creations per level per attribute. These drop rapidly upon any later levels. To the point it is not worth gaining 49 levels from 50-99 on set attributes because you will likely only see and additional point of damage per level. Any efforts are all wasted. meaning at level 99 I am only doing roughly 49 extra points of additional damage then that level 50 was. When they are using the same weapon and gear. There is no gained gear from maximizing stats. IE the same options are acquired 39 levels previously.

Some Items will cancel other items outside of their descriptions. Some items will make boss encounters ridiculously easy to the point of pointless. Other items mean a level 10 will do only 100 points of less damage then a level 50.

Some descriptions are worded wrong. In particular all of the resonant casting range. This states the more souls acquired will see a damage increases. However this is not the case when after collecting a set amount of souls there is no damage gained.

PVP is boring because everybody is using the same items, gear, and spells there is no distinction to any of them. PVP can be quite annoying when being invaded. When trying to go to a get to a boss and waiting to summon other players, or be summoned, or simply trying to survive a level. The seed of giants don't reverse effect. When invaded by other players they are not equally attacked by any creatures within your environment unless using this item, which means you will also get as attacked when trying to reach them. An invader can attack you when in combat with other enemies.

In short this is the worse game, I have ever played. Definitely not a contender for GAME OF ANY YEAR. Rated 0 a blight on any culture, a complete waste of time, containing so many flaws.
  83. Apr 20, 2014
    This game is probably one of the best games that have been released in a while. Dark Souls 2 is even more challenging then it's predecessor Dark Souls. The difficulty makes it so this is not a game you can run though but rather plan and feel more accomplished in the long run. Even though dying could be frustrating, it also acted as a learning experience to help you plan your next attempt.This game is probably one of the best games that have been released in a while. Dark Souls 2 is even more challenging then it's predecessor Dark Souls. The difficulty makes it so this is not a game you can run though but rather plan and feel more accomplished in the long run. Even though dying could be frustrating, it also acted as a learning experience to help you plan your next attempt. These games, even on the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3, look gorgeous. From the enemies to the scenery everything looks amazing and make you want to explore every area in the game. Also worth mentioning is that in Dark Souls, there were a frame rate issues but in Dark Souls 2 these are almost nonexistent. Dark Souls 2 also comes back with covenants with even more ways to play online. In Dark Souls, I felt that in covenants, you were either summoned for co-op or invasion. In Dark Souls 2, covenants are even better. Covenants have different options other then co-op or just invasion. Some let you not only invade but also dual other members in the same covenant. Others let you join in co-op play to help others or be protected if invaded and one even makes the game harder. Covenants in Dark Souls 2 can really tailor to what a player may want in online and offline play which is a nice touch.Unfortunately, this game isn't perfect. I believe there are some flaws, such as the loss of max health while hollowing is a bit overboard, making the game unnecessarily difficult at times, but it's not so bad.

If you are looking for a new game to get put this on your list because this game is a must get for anyone looking for a great game as well as a challenge.
  84. Apr 17, 2014
    Reason why this game is brilliant is not about graphics, story, or multiplay. Its is about true challenge. I already die more than a hundred times during boss fights. But everyone knows that It feels great when i killed a boss alone and when i found bonefire through the hella difficult monsters.
    Just shut up and buy this game and prepare to die.
  85. Apr 16, 2014
    The game is great fun, however after logging 60+ hours it told me my save data was no good, even though I saved and quit properly. Play at your own risk!!!
  86. Apr 15, 2014
    Aside from a few minor bugs and some pvp issues, the game is great. I've only played Demon Souls prior to this and I would say it's just as fun. However, I think the game could have been made better if it had a low 150-200 level cap, instead of a near infinite one. This would have greatly made PvP better and added to the longevity of the game.
  87. Apr 10, 2014
    Fair enough, it can't re-blow my mind as the original once did, but this bigger, and more improved Souls title certainly gives me the satisfaction that I needed.

10/10 is no understatement with this game, it truly is the finest game ever produced. No amount of words can do this title justice, so I highly recommend you just buy it. If you can't enjoy it, then sell it on. It's not like there is a monthly sub...
  88. Apr 10, 2014
    A great sequel. The gameplay is similar to dark souls but with enough changes and improvements. The game has more places, bosses and weapons, etc. The graphic is not what they showed on E3 but it is good enough. I love the covenants, co-op and pvp. IMO, the game is easier than the first one because magic is so overpower. I enjoy this game, but for some reason I love the first game moreA great sequel. The gameplay is similar to dark souls but with enough changes and improvements. The game has more places, bosses and weapons, etc. The graphic is not what they showed on E3 but it is good enough. I love the covenants, co-op and pvp. IMO, the game is easier than the first one because magic is so overpower. I enjoy this game, but for some reason I love the first game more than this one. Expand
  89. Apr 9, 2014
    They tuned up the combat from the previous installment and it really rewards players for exploring every nook and cranny. They tried pandering to the suggestions and ended up dropping humanity and replacing it with effigies. The armor and weapons are no longer that cosmetically pleasing and pvp is still unbalanced. Ganking is still a problem among all online players. They need betterThey tuned up the combat from the previous installment and it really rewards players for exploring every nook and cranny. They tried pandering to the suggestions and ended up dropping humanity and replacing it with effigies. The armor and weapons are no longer that cosmetically pleasing and pvp is still unbalanced. Ganking is still a problem among all online players. They need better matchmaking so low-levelers aren't going against new-gamers+7. They made menus easier to navigate but the screwed up some mechanics such as item durability. All items wear out faster now and the Pharros' lockstone system is awful. You might want to stay in Anor Londo a bit longer. They took away choice when it came to the ending and there is no memorable npc's. All the bosses are rehashed with new paint and are similar to many of the bosses from the previous game. Upgrading and enchanting weapons is now a difficult and obscure process. An iffy sequel to say the least. Expand
  90. Apr 9, 2014
    One of the best games of list years period. Always challenging with an excellent combat system and gdr progression. You 'll die a lot but always for your fault, who gave this game 0 is a casual player who think that he is immortal. In this game you must use your brain and your gamer skills to master it. Huge map with solid graphic, more fluid than the first episode. In ng + the challengeOne of the best games of list years period. Always challenging with an excellent combat system and gdr progression. You 'll die a lot but always for your fault, who gave this game 0 is a casual player who think that he is immortal. In this game you must use your brain and your gamer skills to master it. Huge map with solid graphic, more fluid than the first episode. In ng + the challenge continues with new enemies. A must buy but only for serious gamers. Expand
  91. Apr 8, 2014
    I'm updating my review for Dark Souls 2 - because my initial review included some inaccurate information.

This game is very similar to the previous games Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. In certain ways it is more like Demons Souls in the overall feel of the game - but like Dark Souls it has improved multi-player capabilities with interconnected worlds, although areas not as connected or impressive as Dark Souls was.

The main thing that has changed are the summoning functions. There are now two soapstones which allow you to be summoned by other players - a small one and a large one. The small one takes you into another players world for a limited mount of time, about 5 min, usually allowing them to navigate from one area to the next, inside the larger area. Once completed you will receive a smooth shiny stone you can exchange for goodies. The large soapstone is more similar to previous games where you join another player and help them beat the level - But this one is also on a timer. I've had numerous times when I was returned to my game during a boss fight or just on the verge of one, leaving the other player stranded.

Also summoning other players is no longer based on soul level (in previous games if you were within 10 levels of another player you could summon each other) but on number of total souls collected. The bad side to the changes is that it will be virtually impossible to play with your friends unless you all create characters at the same time and only use them when playing together. I prefer the level based cooperative in previous games where I tried to keep my soul level low and upgrade my gear so I could help new players and protect them from trolls. The new system encourages you to spend your souls and level up quicker and takes some of the strategy out of the game IMO - it also results in summoning a diversity of different toons with vastly varying gear and skill sets. I'd also prefer if the large soapstone was not timed, it often feels like your abandoning someone when your time is up, and if you're on the other end, having your crew disappear during a boss fight often ends in death.

The good thing about cooperative play is if you die you don't loose your souls, so you can approach cooperative play as a way to farm the area for souls and help someone else out at the same time. If you try farming an area for souls you will find that soon the enemies stop spawning, but throw down your sign and you can continue and do a good deed at the same time :)

In all the souls games I enjoy assisting others more than I enjoy beating the levels - so overall I like the changes. I find it more difficult to play with friends and will have a lot more trouble getting through the game as a SL1 - but if you liked the previous games - you'll like this one. Now if I can just stop playing this and get some laundry done I'll survive.
  92. Apr 7, 2014
    If you even remotely liked either Demon Souls of Dark Souls, then this is a definite purchase. There is so much here to be had for $60. After "The Last of Us," I wasn't sure there would be another game worthy of a "10" rating... at least not on the PS3 or last gen consoles. This game is so incredibly difficult, but so satisfying when you triumph over an enemy that you attempted to kill 30If you even remotely liked either Demon Souls of Dark Souls, then this is a definite purchase. There is so much here to be had for $60. After "The Last of Us," I wasn't sure there would be another game worthy of a "10" rating... at least not on the PS3 or last gen consoles. This game is so incredibly difficult, but so satisfying when you triumph over an enemy that you attempted to kill 30 times before it. This is a true RPG. The great thing about this series, is that you can go back and play and replay the first Dark Souls and Demon Souls and still have that feeling of accomplishment. If you are an impatient gamer, then this game will temper you. Other game's difficulties are laughable at this point. This is the only RPG that truly makes you think about when and how to upgrade certain character statistics. Prepare to die... MORE. You have to love this game! I think about it even while at work... now that's saying something. Expand
  93. Apr 7, 2014
    Dark Souls 2 is a journey with a lot of deaths in it but, unlike other games were you die, death is a part of the game and story. The most famous thing about the souls series is the level of difficulty and that difficulty is still here. The first thing that you will notice is the graphics and there lackluster to say the least. The best thing about the graphics is the lighting effects butDark Souls 2 is a journey with a lot of deaths in it but, unlike other games were you die, death is a part of the game and story. The most famous thing about the souls series is the level of difficulty and that difficulty is still here. The first thing that you will notice is the graphics and there lackluster to say the least. The best thing about the graphics is the lighting effects but you don’t play Dark Souls for the graphics you do it for the gameplay and difficulty. The gameplay is not that different then Dark Souls 1, the biggest change is what happens when you die, every death brings down your max health and you can also warp to bonfires from the beginning. Let’s not forget about the story. You have the curse of the undead and have to face death many times before going hollow, but you hear of a place where you can find a way to heal your mind from the curse. Anyway you will face horrific challenges on the way. Dark Souls 2 is not for casual players and if you get annoyed easily don't buy it. For veterans of the series buy this game and be careful we don't want you going hollow out there. FIXED TEXT Expand
  94. Apr 6, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic game. Sits in a great place gameplay wise right between Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, but is much more accessible to players new to the franchise. It's difficulty has a steep learning curve and a high ceiling, but is almost never unfair. Graphics-wise, it's not wonderful, but the aesthetics are fantastic and well crafted. Enemies, weapons and armor all fit seamlesslyAbsolutely fantastic game. Sits in a great place gameplay wise right between Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls, but is much more accessible to players new to the franchise. It's difficulty has a steep learning curve and a high ceiling, but is almost never unfair. Graphics-wise, it's not wonderful, but the aesthetics are fantastic and well crafted. Enemies, weapons and armor all fit seamlessly into the universe with a great eye for detail.

PvP is also great; improved from the first game in most areas. Some things need work; for example the economy of PvPing with single use, hard to farm items is very weak, and could use some help. There are certainly some builds that need tweaking, but all-in-all, this game is excellent.

Praise the Sun!
  95. Apr 2, 2014
    DS1 was has an environment where you don’t matter to anyone or anything. It is a game where loneliness, melancholy, meaninglessness, and suffering are life - being spiritually undead…is your Life. To search for meaning in this world, to find hope in Dark Souls was made utterly impossible and in such a vacuum the immense battle challenges that were the game became your true source ofDS1 was has an environment where you don’t matter to anyone or anything. It is a game where loneliness, melancholy, meaninglessness, and suffering are life - being spiritually undead…is your Life. To search for meaning in this world, to find hope in Dark Souls was made utterly impossible and in such a vacuum the immense battle challenges that were the game became your true source of happiness (see: Camus - “Myth of Sisyphus”). The combination of atmosphere, high quality battle mechanics, and extreme difficulty combine to make a once in a gaming lifetime experience.

Dark Souls 2, on the other hand, fails from the get-go. The opening movie, for instance, tries to be vague but just comes off as stupid. The first interaction with the witches tries to be eerie but is forced and awkward. Even the tutorial embarrasses the Dark Souls name: it’s an unnecessarily long chore of “here’s a move, go try it on some dude.” Then, you just jump into the game and just start killing stuff with a lack of meaning that doesn’t mean anything - I legitimately found myself frequently zoning out mid-fight during the first few hours, something that never happened is DS1.

The idea was to make this game more “accessible” to the general public but that was exactly what made Dark Souls great . Game devo’s need to learn that sometimes, a great piece of art and massive appreciation are mutually exclusive entities. Frankly, it’s embarrassing to see what the new creative directors have done (Instead of Hidetaka Miyazaki, it is Tomohiro Shibuya and Yui Tanimura a move almost assuredly motivated by profits). If you add a laugh track to “The Wire” or redo the Mona Lisa with cell shading, you alter something that was very integral to the experience - this is what happened here.

Anyways: if you still play the game, which I quit after five hours, here are my tips:

1. Put the game as dim as you are willing: it makes the game much more atmospheric, as well as more difficult but if you prefer ease over a quality atmosphere, you shouldn’t be playing this game in the first place.

2. When you sense you are falling into a vortex of masochism, take a break to A. Stretch B. Walk around and C. Take ten deep slow breaths.

3. Continually remind yourself that when you fail, it is your fault and not the game's.
  96. Apr 2, 2014
    Dark Souls II is by far the most difficult Souls game to date. That being said it is not for everyone, however as a Souls fan since the original Demon's Souls on PS3 this game does not disappoint.
    I will admit the game took a little while to actually get to the difficulty level I am accustomed to in a Souls game, however looking back at these beginning sections I think it was nice to learn the ropes again myself. This is also a very good portion of the game for newcomers to the series.
    The boss battles in this game are by far the best in the series, each boss made me realize the flaws in my character build and helped me focus on improving a different area of my character each time. Some bosses were so difficult I had no choice but to call in for help.
    Speaking of help! The greatest improvement to this game from the last has got to be the multiplayer. Not only does it actually work this time, but it seems more people understand the mechanics now and it is much easier to find people for some PvP or assistance on a boss.
    I only had one bad thing to say about the game and that is the structure of the world. I felt it was not as cohesive as the original Dark Souls or even Demon's Souls (which did not even feature an entire connected environment). I just felt like there were too many dead ends and they should have connected areas better than they did, it just felt a little too linear.
    However, this game was so great in every other area I didn't dwell on the world structure too much. Overall Dark Souls II has great melee action with tons of different playing styles to choose from. They added tons of new spells, weapons, and armor that keep PvP very interesting and tough for even a veteran player like myself. Also the combat feels more refined than ever, with bosses that can kill you in 1 to 2 hits I feel like it had to be. Overall, if you are thinking of RETURNING to the series, this game has everything you could possibly want from a Souls game. However, I do feel that maybe the first Dark Souls is the best for newcomers to the series.

PROS:
    - Improved Combat (Magic and Melee)
    - Challenging bosses
    - Improved AI
    - Plenty of Secrets
    - Great Online!
    CONS:
    - World is seems like it was "Frankensteined" together
    - Some enemies seem too familiar from previous installments
  97. Apr 1, 2014
    As awesome as the first game but with better PvP (dedicated servers!) and an even bigger world.. what's not to love? Game of the Year contender for sure - I'll be playing this for a very long time
  98. Mar 31, 2014
    Simply the worst game i have ever played EVER! This over rated, over hyped, outdated garbage.
    The Game play is simply awful, it's lazily designed, slow, clunky, irresponsive, downright unfair, boring, tedious and repetitive. The entire game is built around trial and error game play, a game design that should have died out decades ago. Sadly however the talentless designers decided to go down this route because their fanbase clearly don't want games that make them use their brains but a game that makes you do the same tedious crap over and over again until either by luck or some very contrived circumstance you progress. However the game can't even get this right! Because every time you die you lose some of your maximum health bar! You also lose all your currency! You have one chance to regain your souls/currency and you'll usually be cheated out of this too. This awful game has completely contradicting game mechanics that just sum up how bad and lazy this game is. Instead of these being options for experienced players they are forced on you, alieniating people who are trying to play for the first time. Is there a tutorial for people new to the series sort of, but you wouldn't know it because the badly made tutorials are hidden in dark caves with a mist covered entrance and appear to be something spooky that should be avoided until you think you're ready, but no, you can actually go in there and learn...nothing really just what buttons do what, just as described in the manual. Not a proper tutorial just a lazy...something. The stamina bar wrecks the entire game with its excessive restrictions, it is the equivalent of a 90 year olds one remaining asthmatic lung that has been cigar smoked 24/7 and has been exposed to every pollutant of the industrial revolution and has asbestosis. Your character starts out completely incompetent, a very lazy way of adding depth and progression to this rubbish, as is the case with most RPG's and it takes hours of repetitive grinding to progress your character just to make the game remotely playable, sort of. Even then it doesn't get any better because the enemies have an assortment of cheat moves to pull off, cheap deaths cover this **** game and there plenty of traps that you can never see coming, you simply die and have to start again, over and over again.
    The challenge in this game does not come from intelligent A.I., well designed puzzles that test your problem solving skills or any form of strategy or tactics, this game is not aimed at that sort of audience. This games artificial difficulty comes from the fact that it is a mindless grind of boring repetitive combat that is usually won by exploiting the games crappy A.I. or by hoping that the game will actually respond in time to your button presses and NO this is not about good timing or reflexes, but by hoping that your commands actually push through the clunky, clumsy 'design' if you can even call it that. You will constantly roll out of an enemies offence only to lose most of your health anyway.
    Exploration usually results in some cheap death from a trap you can never see coming or do anything about once sprung, you simply die and start over.
    There is no real puzzle solving either, just wandering around until you find some item and use it in the right place, again requiring no intelligence just the patience to do the same crap over and over again until you progress.
    The Story: What story? I don't play games for the story line and this game is a prime example of why. You start of as a nobody in the land of....i don't know, undead world or something. You have no purpose and it all goes nowhere! It's nonexistent. The only bits of a story you get are from talking to the badly voice acted, boring and depressing NPC's, but the only reason to speak to them is because if you talk to them enough they usually give you some sort of useful item. It's forced, uninteresting and pathetic, lazy design again! The world is lifeless and there is no motivation to save it, if that even is the point of it, who knows? I don't even think the developers know what this was all about.
    The Graphics: For a game released in 2014 it is laughably bad! It has not been optimised, it looks bad, muddy and lazy. It has a distinct lack of Vertical-Synchronisation the screen is constantly torn as you move the camera. At least the camera functions properly, though, that's the only positive in the game.

This game gets a zero because it is awful in every way! The difficulty is entirely artificial, not born from clever design, but from cheap tricks that only come from truly talentless developers. Everything in it is bad and unrewarding, not once did i feel a sense of reward as i played this game. This game is a collection of everything that should have died out in game design a long time ago and most of it never should have existed. Truly awful! An absolute never buy, it is pure **** on a disk (or hard drive.) With no redeeming value at all.
  99. Mar 30, 2014
    Just an awesome follow-up to the amazing DS1. If you're patient and want to experience extreme satisfaction in a game this is for you. Not for the easily discouraged or thoughtless gamer.
  100. Mar 29, 2014
    Amazing game and a worthy sequel to one of the greatest games I've ever played. Some small negatives bring it down for me however, such as the simplification of the weapon upgrading systems and the un-inter-connectedness of the world, if that's a word, which it's not, i think. Penalties are lighter too, for abandoning covenants or killing npcs. I guess this is some of that accessibilityAmazing game and a worthy sequel to one of the greatest games I've ever played. Some small negatives bring it down for me however, such as the simplification of the weapon upgrading systems and the un-inter-connectedness of the world, if that's a word, which it's not, i think. Penalties are lighter too, for abandoning covenants or killing npcs. I guess this is some of that accessibility they were talking about. Last but definitely not least, a lot of the boss fights didn't grab me the same way as the first title, and the story isn't quite as interesting this time around either. Now, that's a lot of negatives for a 10 and that's because its a 9.5 but that option doesn't exist for some reason.
    Anyway the rest is brilliant. It was easier to list the negatives. Mechanically it's as refined and engaging as the first. The graphics are slightly improved with the lighting being the most notable improvement. The score is sparse and wonderful as usual. Multiplayer is great and there's more interesting ways to Pvp here than before. The new weapons, armors and magic look and feel great and the gameplay is still the most rewarding thing out there at the moment. Nothing like that rush of adrenaline when you escape a red phantom with your life just intact or finally fell the large beast you've been stuck on.
    Phew! Ok, well if you read all that thanks for your time, now go out there and buy this. peace.

1. Oct 9, 2014
    Though it lasts a long time and provides a decent challenge, I think it really needed an extra push on top of what the game contains. I would describe it as just above average, but that’s as far as I’d go.
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    Its over dependence on group battles, less interesting boss designs and a slightly more forgettable world let it down, but none of this is so severe that it stops it from becoming another superb entry into one of the best series of games of all time.
  3. Mar 25, 2014
    If you have any interest in playing this game after reading this review, do yourself a favor and get it now. If you allow yourself to be enthralled with its atmosphere and game play you’ll become an avid fan just like me.