8.0

1. Aug 29, 2012
    Having played through the vast majority of the game and having liked the first one very much I must say Darksiders 2 is a MUST AVOID. It is in nearly every way worse than its predecessor. The platforming is extremely repetitive, combat is frequently unresponsive, and the game has a MASSIVE amount of GAME BREAKING bugs. If you liked the first one and wish to continue the story do yourself a favor and wait for the patch. If you are on the fence wait till it hits the bargain bin...cause it definitely will. Expand
  2. Aug 29, 2013
    Could have been one of the best games ever. Instead they made it one big fetch quest. Get me 3 of these... before I can give you this go get me one of these. Better pacing and less fetching would have made this a great game. All in all it was pretty boring. It actually felt like work at times.
  3. Sep 1, 2012
    I've played RPGS for 12 years now and I've not come across many more infuriating than this. Death may be a badass, but the plot appears to go nowhere, i found the characters are boring and bland. I found the levelling to take forever, I found the controls to be awkward and most of all, it doesn't give you much of any idea what on earth to do. Its like a mash up of the worst bits of devil may cry, tomb raider and prince of persia.
    if you didn't love all 3 of those game series, you should avoid this like the plague cos it will only result in you rage quitting. believe me I did.

The 2 main redeeming qualities of this are the graphics which are admittedly stunning and the soundtrack which is beautiful but can get irritating if you are stuck in one area for too long (which you inevitably will be)

the battle system is repetitive which doesn't really help the cause in fairness.
  4. Aug 30, 2013
    The graphics are average, the camera angles are terrible, the story line is average. However one factor does it for me, this game crashes no matter what I try, I have a beast gaming pc with 3.6ghz processor, 16GB of RAM, AMD Radeon Hd 6970 Graphics card yet the game crashes. Pathetic, clearly a direct port from console
  5. Jul 29, 2013
    I bought this game for $10 on Steam Weekend Special because I like the action RPG genre. Dark Souls is one of my favourite games. I wasn't expecting the same type of game from Darksiders 2, but even for the $10 I paid, I feel like it was a waste. Disclaimer: I played 40 minutes and uninstalled.

I played this game with an xbox360 controller, so controls were not an issue. What was an
    issue however was the terrible camera. I had to manually adjust it a lot while I was in combat which is a real downer.

Graphics, for 2013 were terrible. I only played the first area which is in snow/ice caverns, but everything looked dull and every corner I turned revealed another area that looked exactly the same as the last hallway I had been in. It felt like I was playing the same 1 minute of gameplay over and over.

The combat system is one of those that try to make you feel like you are doing a lot and it's so fun because you can spam buttons and there are cool animations, but really you are doing nothing. The combat is ridiculously easy. I played for 40 minutes and did not even need to use a health potion once (on hard). The first boss had one ridiculously easy tell to dodge and that was it. Oh and did I mention ALL the enemies in the area were exactly the same (except the boss).

The rest of the area when you are not fighting are doing climbing/jumping puzzles, there is always only one way to go so you couldn't really classify them as a puzzle. I'm sure later in the game they are more difficult, but I can't imagine them being fun.

Graphics: 6/10
    Sound: 5/10 (I really didn't pay attention but it did not impress me nor sound terrible)
    Gameplay: 2/10
    Overall: 13/30 (43%)
  6. Jul 16, 2013
    After the first one i was excited to play the second one. Holy this game sucks. The PC controls are laughable, combat lag, random lag, horrible camera that me over multiple times. The story is total crap "hey go run some errands for me and ill help you" HE IS DEATH NOT AN ERRAND BOY. At least i didnt blow 50$ on it and bought it during the steam summer sale, but jesus christ could you have done any worse THQ? sure as hell wont be buying any more of your games ever again. you failed hardcore, DO NOT buy this game its crap. Expand
  7. Oct 12, 2012
    I really wanted to enjoy this game, but it's far too broken for me to like.. I can't use wrath potions and apparently it's happening to a lot of players, it's laggy even when installed to my 360, Death really isn't as interesting of a character as War, and even though there are tons of bugs THQ has only released one patch since release and it's done barely anything.
  8. Apr 7, 2014
    When I played part 1 in 2010 I was quite excited. It was fun although it is not nice out though it did not look good.
    Now I've got the 2 year old title for a small price and I am disappointed. Everywhere was stolen. Starting with Tomb Raider to be found GoW stolen together game elements here.
    The story promises a lot and sounds good. But in the end you will hardly noticed and it
    slaughters just like GoW through the area. No wonder THQ was then later broke.
    A very bad game.
  9. Oct 17, 2014
    I was excited when I saw that this game was put on the "Games with Gold" list because I always wanted try it. I got online and started downloading it right away. Boy, was I in for a rude awakening... For starters, the main character menu looks extremely outdated and is super clunky. I sometimes had to hit my triggers twice for it to move to the next menu. The camera sometimes obstructs your view during combat which is very annoying. The combat is repetitive and you'll find yourself killing the same grunt enemies over and over again. The leveling takes WAY too long. It also has that kind of poor platforming where they expect you to make split-second movements to get past an area, but your character just swings everywhere like he's spazzing out. I don't know how many times I fell down into a lava pit because Death decided to face plant the wall instead of running across it. Or like when I try to jump off a wooden thing and it sends me flying down a cliff for no reason. It a freaking nightmare.

But hey, it's free this month so if you want to download it then whatever... Don't say I didn't warn you.
  10. Aug 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know where to start that's how **** this game is, I spent 30 hours completing this **** game and by the end of it i learnt as much as i did playing the first hour of the game. The puzzles where C grade puzzles that my 3 year old brother could do, but what really **** you over in this game was the fact that they didn't show you how to do anything. Late game you got to use a portal gun, not once did they show you how to use it all they did was zoom up on a portal pad and BAM!!!! they instantly expected us to understand the mechanics yes its a portal gun seems straight forward but for those who have played it is far from straight forward. This isn't the only attachment piece they **** you over with either, simply any other spell or attachment piece you obtained had little to no explanation on the mechanics involved. The combat side of the game didn't get much better either after spending half and hour to and hour on getting through the massive puzzles which suck balls you normally are rewarded with a boss which for once wasn't have bad they took one or two try's to defeat and most of them took a bit to take down it was a well balanced fight. But then they game decides to give us the ONLY and i say ONLY twist in the whole **** game, it was the final boss was by far the easiest **** boss in the game even the starter boss was harder then this **** After spending 30 hours going through the 1000 puzzles and 20 or so half ass bosses i was faced with a pile of **** i swear half the normal monsters packed a harder punch then him, i honestly stood there and spammed LB Y and summoned my crows to kill him.
    Over all this game was incredible disappointing i only paid $14 dollars for it and still felt like i was paying way to much, lets just say if it was free i would feel like i was paying to much. With all the game stopping bugs, i rebooted this game a total of 13 times in the whole run through, the half ass graphics that where used over and over every place look the same just either with water or fire and little changes, **** terrible combat, and even more disappointing puzzles this game is a big bust in my books would highly recommend if you want to spend 30 hours completing the same thing over and over, other wise the only other thing its good for is use it as a door stop.
  11. Oct 17, 2014
    When Darksiders II was the free game for the xbox 360 games with gold, I happily downloaded the game and played for several hours. I found the combat mechanic simple to use, and the on the rails parkour elements where easy to master. It was refreshing to have a horse riding game that didn't feel clunky. Many of the weaker enemies were properly balanced, although I did find it difficult to advance at the same pace as the enemies. The levels are very large, which would be great if they didn't feel empty.

Even so, this game is plagued by camera issues, and poor design decisions. One of which is the on the rails parkour element, because there are times when you have to take a leap of faith and hope that the planets align at the perfect moment death is attempting a catch the next ledge during a boss fight. Another is the terrible lock on system during combat, which automatically chooses an enemy and occasionally targets open space, which only confounds the already bad camera angle. Not being able to see is not the worst thing that will happen in combat. The enemies seem to move so quickly that the awkward dodging mechanics are almost pointless, and when an enemy is executing an attack there is no way to interrupt them. Just hope that you are not in the middle of executing a long combo attack, because you cannot exit a combo just by tapping the dodge button. Basically you have to figure out how to defeat the bosses through trial and error, but you can only hold 5 health potions that loose healing effectiveness as you gain hit points through leveling, so learn quickly.

Over all I cannot recommend playing this game, unless you enjoy ripping your hair out because of inadequate character control. Keep in mind that I was playing this game on the easiest difficulty setting, and many of the combat encounters where challenging, because I was fighting against some unusual design decisions. I'll never forget how one of the easiest bosses killed me when I ran out of health potions, because my character preferred to play soccer with the corruption grenades instead of picking them up.

1. Nov 28, 2012
    While trying to revitalize the Zelda formula with modern developments is an admirable goal, Darksiders II's developers just can't seem to get a handle on how to make such a thing work. For two games now they've tried adding hi-octane combat, a Western-style story, and ability trees, but it's never managed to gel. The things that made games like Zelda, God of War, Prince of Persia, and even Shadow of the Colossus great are all on display here, but the Darksiders series still hasn't figured out how to use them effectively enough to stand on its own.
  2. Oct 4, 2012
    Darksiders II is full of enormous environments and dungeons to traverse to and explore, even more fantastical enemies and large-scale bosses to battle, and plenty of challenging hacking, slashing and loot collecting.
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    A stunning achievement in creative larceny that improves on its predecessor in pretty much every way that matters. A pity about the lacklustre endgame though. [Oct 2012, p.49]