Dead Island Xbox 360

6.9

1. Sep 11, 2011
    I am having a hard time understanding why this game is so loved by some and so hated by others
    From a technical stand point it's buggy, though not broken. The game engine lacks polish, but its not the ugly mess that some claim. So from a purely technical side its about a 6. There have been games far more polished for their release.
    Now to the actual point of any game, having fun, and

Now to the actual point of any game, having fun, and in this regard Dead Island is very good, though dam me its difficult. Maybe it is this difficulty that some people are not liking but I am loving it, at last a game that is just challenging me at every turn. The zombies are vicious and unforgiving, which is good.
    The hack and slash rpg aspect enough to keep you wanting to level up just one more level, to get that one slightly bigger knife, that one extra skill point, to kill a few more zombies.
    So in terms of being fun, this game is a 9.

I would have given it an overall score of 7.5 but I can't do that so it cna have an 8.
    It's not the masterpiece that the 9's and 10's are giving it, but it deserves justice from all the haters.

One final word to edge magazine... as actual professional critics you thought this game was a 3?
    I don't know if you had received a beta copy of the game that wasn't the final code, or were just hating to cause shock and drive traffic to your site but seriously guys just get a few of you online together and play it, and tell me you aren't having fun.
  2. Sep 12, 2011
    Ok, the game is not perfect, not even close. Let me tell you, I am just a casual gamer who owns a X360 for zombie games (yes, my very late adquisitions are L4D, L4D2, -both of them masterpieces- dead rising,dead space and Dead island) and who plays quite often a game from 1999, Heroes 3 of might mand Magic, weird , uh?

I bought Dead Space several months ago. I barely played it 2 hours. I

I bought Dead Space several months ago. I barely played it 2 hours. I bought Crysis 2 several months ago. I barely played it 4 hours. I bought Dead Rising, I didnt finish it. Neither DR case zero. I bought Dead island last Saturday. I have played it over 10 hours. I'm anxious to reach home and continue playing. Seriously, it has its glitches (the water stuff, sometimes you have to reload the mission 'cos the target mission items dissapear, that kind of things) The graphs, many of you may say that are not Dx11, ok... I don't have a gaming rig, but the graphs are very close , if not better than the ones I've seen on crysis 2 (xbox, of course) . The scenarios are beautifuly designed, there's lot of detail everywhere. I like how the zombies are eating the death corpes in the middle of the streets. I love how the zombies are hitting the doors to reach the survivors, I love those kind of details. So far, this is the first game that provides that kind of details fully. I found stupid on L4D how the zombies just punched you. Here they take a more "realisitc" approach to their victims. I dont have any problem with the 1st person melee fights, in fact, it's a quite refreshing aproach to the genre. I don't have any problems about respawning items, I've seen that on DR and nobody complained of that. I haven't played it multiplayer, and I will probably never, but I dont care. I really enjoy to be inside the game atmosphere, the great dramatic tunes , and the great enviroments. So far I haven't passed from 1 act and as I have read the things turn very intense!

I don't **** understand how this game is taking so many bad critics, while a PIECE OF CRAP like RE5 was, was taking almost AAA califications. I dont understand why proffesional reviewers focuse on bad stuff for small companies like techland who try to bring something new over the table. I'm **** tired of the gaming industry. Seriously. It's very probably that I wont be playing this game in a few weeks, but, hell, this game has already provided me GREAT FUN **** ZOMBIE SLASHING moments. Yep. That's it.
  3. Sep 12, 2011
    8.5
    I just registered on here to try & boost this games score as i think it is a real shame that some gamers might be put off by some of the negative reviews (The Edge review is so wide of the mark its beyond a joke!). I'll try to keep it brief but Dead Island is a great game but i wont deny that it does have some minor flaws.
    As i said the flaws are pretty minor & should not
    8.5

As i said the flaws are pretty minor & should not constitute the majority of a review. Yes there are some graphic glitches. For example if you drive somewhere fast a texture might not load up straight away. So slightly annoying but hardly game breaking & ive seen this issue in plenty of other games including the recent LA Noire. Personally that is the only glitch ive seen after playing for about 10 hours.

If i had to compare then this game does borrow some idea's from other games. If you enjoyed Borderlands then you will definitely like this. In my opinion the mission system is better than Borderlands as you actually aquire missions from NPC's rather than outposts. This makes the game flow more naturally. There are also elements of Fallout in how you can acquire random items to create new weapons etc. So imo the game should not be knocked for 'borrowing' some of these ideas. I think the vast majority of games also do this to some degree. Modern Warfare took a lot from Counter Strike but that didnt effect the reviews for COD...and rightly so!

So like Borderlands one player is fun but can be more challenging without any back up. The real fun begins when you play co-op...especially with friends. If you want something different from the usual shooters & mass produced games then dont sleep on this.

So to conclude Dead Island is a really ambitious project & a few minor bugs dont stop this from being a very good game. If you plan on playing through one player this might not be the game for you however if you have some friends to play with then don't hesitate in getting this!
  4. Sep 12, 2011
    One of the best zombie games ever made. Great job Deep Silver and Square Enix it was well worth the wait. This plays much more like fallout/borderlands than L4D so be warned, if you didnt like either of these games but in all honesty who wouldnt love this :-)
  5. Sep 12, 2011
    I was on the fence about this game and Resistance 3 so I rented both first for 2 nights each. Let's just say, I purchased Resistance 3 .. EASILY!! Granted, I am not a big RPG fan and if you even remotely do not like RPG's, then don't get this game. It is basically, running from place to place to pick up crap, there are NO weapons ANYWHERE. I played for like a half hour and onlyI was on the fence about this game and Resistance 3 so I rented both first for 2 nights each. Let's just say, I purchased Resistance 3 .. EASILY!! Granted, I am not a big RPG fan and if you even remotely do not like RPG's, then don't get this game. It is basically, running from place to place to pick up crap, there are NO weapons ANYWHERE. I played for like a half hour and only found 2 items to pick up and use as a weapon. I did give it one for some of the visuals but it really is a disappointment to say the least. Expand
  6. Sep 13, 2011
    I had to create an account to rate this game, just because i was so utterly baffled by the bad reviews of this game. I guess the bad reviews prove that some people you just can't please. I can't imagine that -anything- makes the people who disliked this game happy. Anyhew. This game is like the world's best milkshake. They picked the best parts of a dozen different games, and blended itI had to create an account to rate this game, just because i was so utterly baffled by the bad reviews of this game. I guess the bad reviews prove that some people you just can't please. I can't imagine that -anything- makes the people who disliked this game happy. Anyhew. This game is like the world's best milkshake. They picked the best parts of a dozen different games, and blended it together into deliciousness, and every bit is incredible. The skill tree, and items with stats from borderlands, weapons and combinations from dead rising, fallout-esque missions and targeting of limbs. It's just incredible. The -stupidest- complaint i've ever heard is that all the women are in bikinis. The first 25 percent of the game takes place on a beach resort...the men are in swimsuits too, it's a beach! I gurantee you there aren't bikini clad women in the slum-town that is the next section. Expand
  7. Sep 13, 2011
    Mesmerizing games ! Steam 1.2.0 version is working A1 so far . Not as out of this world as FALLOUT or HALF LIVE but extremely near . Like most games lacks of complexity. The recipe is simple but the result is tasty . 50$ well spent , thanks , that's entretainment ! OPEN WORLD .
  8. Sep 13, 2011
    I'll start simply by saying this is my first ever review on metacritic. I had to speak up! I followed this game for awhile and I will admit the trailer with the little girl was quite misleading. I'm also not going to go comparing this to all the games it's not and how similar it is to others. I picked it up on launch, before reading any reviews. I'm shocked to see the scores. Dead IslandI'll start simply by saying this is my first ever review on metacritic. I had to speak up! I followed this game for awhile and I will admit the trailer with the little girl was quite misleading. I'm also not going to go comparing this to all the games it's not and how similar it is to others. I picked it up on launch, before reading any reviews. I'm shocked to see the scores. Dead Island is FUN!!! It seems a lot of the reviewers that gave bad scores have not played the game that far, a few only referencing the first or second quest. The controls are spot-on and the first person view is amazing. There has been more than a few times I jumped because a zombie is about to eat my face off. Aiming with a melee weapon shouldn't be locked on for guaranteed success. Guns seem to do a lot more damage than a baseball bat, as they should! After leaving the initial area I was shocked how much your style of play has to change, due to non-zombie enemies (don't want to spoil). The AI of these new challengers is spot on and refreshing compared to the lumbering zombies. This was an interesting twist i was not expecting and enjoyed! The sound is also great in surround sound. Being able to tell what direction a zombie is running full blast at you from is very useful. The lack of music is also a great decision by the developers. Sometimes just the sounds of your footsteps is enough to polish the immersion. Graphics are ok, by far not the best to date. They do a good enough job for an occasional "wow" moment. The damage effects on the zombies is nice. You actually see a radius and an ulna when you chop at their arms! There is a lot of "delivery" quests and some lack of flair with the characters. I do however feel the pull to want to keep leveling up, despite the lackluster back story. I hope more people try this game out and ignore some of the baffling bad reviews. I can't wait to play more! Expand
  9. Sep 13, 2011
    Pros: Great graphics, great controls, great default difficulty level (due to swarming, weapons breaking)
    Cons: single player = hard as balls, penalty for death isn't great enough, nor is the death respawn

At first I hated the weapons dulling and breaking aspect, but as I played further I realized that it made the game fun. You have to understand that this game is NOT like other games in aspect of killing everything that you see. There are times when fleeing > fighting and that is exactly what makes this game incredible. If you are the type of gamer that's run and gun > strategy then this game isn't for you.
  10. Sep 14, 2011
    By far the most funloving and entertaining title to come along for quite some time. It might not be everyone´s cup of tea but if you like open worlds, tons of stuff to do and braindead Zombies (who doesn´t) then pick this one up. This is a game that is quite literally what you make of it, so if you only like games that give you no freedom, this is not for you.By far the most funloving and entertaining title to come along for quite some time. It might not be everyone´s cup of tea but if you like open worlds, tons of stuff to do and braindead Zombies (who doesn´t) then pick this one up. This is a game that is quite literally what you make of it, so if you only like games that give you no freedom, this is not for you. For all others, you are in for a treat. Expand
  11. Nov 7, 2011
    Where to starttttt, well this game is just bad ass, hands down. The graphics are amazing, the zombies are very realistic, and the campaign is legit. There are soo many different guns and stuff you can customize and they can all do really sweet stuff. This game is just simply amazing!!
  12. Sep 14, 2011
    Why am I not seeing anyone writing about what I believe to be the worst part about this game. The Zombies level-scaling! WTF?!?!?! Seriously? Zombies are dead, the dead decay, therefore, if anything, zombies should get weaker over time. Which I don't think they have to, but keeping even the weakest the zombies just as strong as the player throughout the game? LAME! What's the point ofWhy am I not seeing anyone writing about what I believe to be the worst part about this game. The Zombies level-scaling! WTF?!?!?! Seriously? Zombies are dead, the dead decay, therefore, if anything, zombies should get weaker over time. Which I don't think they have to, but keeping even the weakest the zombies just as strong as the player throughout the game? LAME! What's the point of leveling up or getting and upgrading new and stronger weapons, if it doesn't even freaking matter!?!?!?! Well? Can someone explain the plus to this? Regardless of where you are in the game, and what weapons you have (Aside from firearms later in the game). They are just as hard as the first zombie you beat with a crappy oar. This makes the game feel as if there's no character progression, because you don't get stronger. Well, you do get stronger, but so do the zombies. I can understand making the hordes larger, throwing the new stronger enemy types, but keep the weak zombies in their place, and throw the strong enemies at you. The endless fetch quests area bit annoying, as well. Once again though, if you're not going to feel any stronger after accumulating XP and levels and new weapons, then wtf is the point of even doing the dumb a$$ fetch-side-quests? I'm going to just play through only doing just the main story quests, and probably beat this travesty in 5 hours, considering the game is focused on millions of repetitive crappy side quests to give it any meat. As I mentioned before, no point in doing side quests and leveling up if there's no real reward for doing so, aside from wasting time that could be spent playing a better game. Expand
  13. Sep 15, 2011
    Firstly, this is an amazing game. As you might of read already the environment outside is breath taking and is really stunning, the storyline is very entertaining at most parts but sometimes can feel kinda predictable. This game is defiantly for Co-op play however if you don't have on-line, don't worry as single player is also bad-ass. The skills and levelling up system is simple yet itFirstly, this is an amazing game. As you might of read already the environment outside is breath taking and is really stunning, the storyline is very entertaining at most parts but sometimes can feel kinda predictable. This game is defiantly for Co-op play however if you don't have on-line, don't worry as single player is also bad-ass. The skills and levelling up system is simple yet it works, The story is 20-22 hours long excluding MOST of the side quests. Lastly the re-playablity of this game is VERY HIGH so if you have anything planned over the weekend.. Reschedule as you might be busy. I would recommend this game to anyone who enjoys having fun with their friends and wants to waste a couple of hours a day kicking zombie butt. Expand
  14. Sep 15, 2011
    First off this is a very fun game at times however the inexcusable bugs will take you out f the experience from time to time that can ruin the game for some. The graphics are mixed between the gorgeous island and the beauty of dismembering zombies to how bad a normal person you are talking to can look worse than the undead. The amount of side quest in vast but a good amount of the questFirst off this is a very fun game at times however the inexcusable bugs will take you out f the experience from time to time that can ruin the game for some. The graphics are mixed between the gorgeous island and the beauty of dismembering zombies to how bad a normal person you are talking to can look worse than the undead. The amount of side quest in vast but a good amount of the quest are just your character taking orders from other survivors to fetch them something they want and they get boring very fast. If you can look past these problems their is a good game to be found worth at least a play through. Expand
  15. Sep 16, 2011
    If anyone has seen zombie flesh eaters (1979) then you would agree Dead island has similar qualities, most likely due to the fact they both include a tropical island ans zombies. I was very excited for the release of this game but at the same time slightly sceptical, it seemed hard to believe that a rpg with a pretty big free roam map with zombies was too good to be true, but fortunatelyIf anyone has seen zombie flesh eaters (1979) then you would agree Dead island has similar qualities, most likely due to the fact they both include a tropical island ans zombies. I was very excited for the release of this game but at the same time slightly sceptical, it seemed hard to believe that a rpg with a pretty big free roam map with zombies was too good to be true, but fortunately Dead island is just that. The graphics are lush, the storyline is pretty good, the combat system although edgy in some places gets the job done. I do have some criticisms though, like pretty much every game it does get repetitive, and i mean this literally, the same or similar zombies respawn in the same or similar place after they die, it makes this game predictible. What i desire in most games (especially RPG's) is some aspects of realism. The online sector of the game makes the game more enjoyable has having companions gives you a sense of realiability even though the majority of the time actually starting or joining an online party can be annoying has you dont always get connected. But overall Dead island is a pretty good game, has alot of replay value, especially if playing with friends. Also for the record, yeah your character is immune to the infection, but you can still get killed so why should you do all the errands alone, the other survivors should get off their ass and help!! I'll give this game 7/10 (At it's complete maximum) Expand
  16. Sep 16, 2011
    "Neaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh", *rums, *wumbs, Dead. What starts as a promising zombie sandbox game turns out to be a very linear first person shooter with annoying game mechanics. The quite long story (main story and side quests) starts interesting but loses liability fast. You will find groups of survivors in a lighthouse, in a church, a ware house and in the jungle. But their stories are just"Neaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh", *rums, *wumbs, Dead. What starts as a promising zombie sandbox game turns out to be a very linear first person shooter with annoying game mechanics. The quite long story (main story and side quests) starts interesting but loses liability fast. You will find groups of survivors in a lighthouse, in a church, a ware house and in the jungle. But their stories are just there to show you places and have you more of these "Neaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh", *rums, *wumbs, Dead. To the end of the game, everything is just very linear. The maps get tighten up, leave you less routes to take and places to visit.

More broken are the game mechanics. Zombies, killed seconds ago spawning right in front of you. Weapons which seem to be shorter than a toothpick. Zombies (or ghosts) running right through you and hit you from behind. Somewhat useless guns. And the fact that you loose money when you die, because the game designers probably felt that you need more punishment than just the very very annoying fast and raging zombies. "Neaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh", *rums, *wumbs, Dead. Those zombies are just hard to kill which makes parts of the game unfair and really frustrating.

Although, the graphics are nice. Especially the city looks very detailed.

I have not tried multiplayer because I felt no real incentive in joining another session.

TL;DR: It's worth to play the game to the end for those who like the genre. But some will stop over too much frustration because of those "Neaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh", *rums, *wumbs, Dead. And Left 4 Dead keeps the throne!
  17. Sep 16, 2011
    The first night I fired it up I spent 7 straight amazing hours in co-op with friends. Since then I've put about 10 hours into the game solo, and it still plays amazing. I have yet to come across a single glitch in the beautifuly detailed world. If you liked Fallout 3, Far Cry 2, or Dead Rising, you can't go wrong with this 2011 GOTY contender.
  18. Sep 16, 2011
    This game rocks! This is the game you get friends together for and do some kickass co-op. This game is a riot you will be laughing your ass off. Ignore the story, I would probably even skip most cutscenes.
  19. Sep 16, 2011
    The points responsible for the negative image around Dead Island such as the indifferent characters, bland story, bad voice acting etc. are out-shined by the overall experience, the pure fun offered by the game, the visually beautiful Banoi island and the co-op mode with friends which thanks to the large amount of content, it is able to offer 30 + hours of game-play. I, however, despiteThe points responsible for the negative image around Dead Island such as the indifferent characters, bland story, bad voice acting etc. are out-shined by the overall experience, the pure fun offered by the game, the visually beautiful Banoi island and the co-op mode with friends which thanks to the large amount of content, it is able to offer 30 + hours of game-play. I, however, despite its problems, continue to believe that Dead Island is the most realistic representation of a zombie apocalypse in a video game to date. Expand
  20. Jan 27, 2012
    When I first played Dead Island, I was amazed. The island looked beautiful, and killing zombies was as fun as it still is. But, as the story ran, I began to feel disappointed. Why? Because the whole game is that. The great island, with sewers, a city, and beaches, and the fun behind killing zombies. That's it. All of the 15 hours of gameplay are killing zombies, taking money and energyWhen I first played Dead Island, I was amazed. The island looked beautiful, and killing zombies was as fun as it still is. But, as the story ran, I began to feel disappointed. Why? Because the whole game is that. The great island, with sewers, a city, and beaches, and the fun behind killing zombies. That's it. All of the 15 hours of gameplay are killing zombies, taking money and energy drinks, and then killing more zombies. I mean, that's cool, but what about the rest? Graphics are okay, but the game is glitched everywhere. The different types of zombies are creative, but is so annoying that a zombie can knock you down and you will take 5 seconds to get up without doing anything. Co-op is fun, but lagged. Everything in this game has a "but", and Dead Island gets a 6 because I found myself rushing to finish the story because I was getting sick of doing the same thing for 15 hours: killing zombies. Expand
  21. Sep 17, 2011
    I think the reason im giving this a 7 and not a 9 or 10, Is due to the trailer got me so pumped for this game, It looked like a perfect game, But the final product did not live up to my expectations. The game is still good though. I should also note that the bugs are lowering my score, They need to be fixed
  22. Sep 18, 2011
    In our current gaming society where games are nitpicked to oblivion, and every glitch and shortcoming are spouted to the online community, Dead Island may look bad on paper. Why some may focus on bugs, graphical errors and the like, they will undoubtedly miss the boat. Dead Island has flaws with clipping, loading textures, hit detection, balance, saving (on some platforms), and even basicIn our current gaming society where games are nitpicked to oblivion, and every glitch and shortcoming are spouted to the online community, Dead Island may look bad on paper. Why some may focus on bugs, graphical errors and the like, they will undoubtedly miss the boat. Dead Island has flaws with clipping, loading textures, hit detection, balance, saving (on some platforms), and even basic gameplay that you think should have been addressed during testing. However, as you make your way through the body littered island of Banoi, you start to forget some of these issues while gazing at the simply gorgeous landscape. Suddenly you are brought back to reality by the distant roar of a Thug. You look around quickly and see an Infected running towards you full boar and think, "Crap...." Armed with only a baseball bat, you kick the crazed zombie then crack his head open with a perfectly executed swing. Blood and brain matter spray on the sand as the recently bloodthirsty brain muncher now lies motionless. It is that this time that you forget any criticism you had of Dead Island.

Dispatching one of these undead foes is, to put it very lightly, refreshing. The motion of the camera, the first person perspective, the way enemies react to the force of a hit. It's all so satisfying that pretty soon you've spent 5 hours running around slaughtering the undead and haven't even done a quest. Every friend you have join your game only seems to amplify the experience. To me it's a lot like Borderlands, except with zombies... and melee weapons instead of guns (for the most part). It takes many cues from that title, but doesn't really do anything better, or even quite as good. Much like Borderlands, however, the co-op is endless fun and should be played in 5-7 hour increments.

I remember a time when games were given good ratings because of how fun they were, and not necessarily how perfect they were technically. If you want a good time and love zombie genocide, then check it out!
  23. Sep 23, 2011
    Dead Island, unfortunately, is one of those games that I simply can't love, but really wished I could have.

You start off this zombie open-world adventure by choosing one of the four main classes, each with their own back story (which to be honest either needed more to it or to be left out entirely.) One of my main issues with the game is right here, with the character selection. The characters do not differentiate themselves enough. The best option is the blunt expert because of his regeneration skills, and his fury attack uses only his fists. Choosing any of the other three classes, to me, would feel like a waste of time, since you'll just be better with the blunt expert without a doubt.

While in the style of Borderlands, the multiplayer is also a bit of a let down. The weapons, and there are a lot of them, all seem to look the same. Combat consists mainly of simply aiming for the head, and I quickly became bored with smashing the same generic enemy types over and over.

My final point really is the biggest let down, and it is all the poor design choices the developers made. The car driving is extremely boring, with the roads being very narrow and you aren't allowed any 3rd person view. The choice to go primarily melee might have sounded good on paper, but after playing a game like borderlands, with its variety of guns and interesting animations, finding a high level weapon that is merely a stick and then bashing it against a zombie head like you have since the beginning of the game is a massive let down.

I really did want to enjoy this game with my friends, but I didn't have massive expectations. After watching gameplay months before it came out, i had a feeling this wouldn't be my answer to Borderlands withdrawal. To be honest, this really does take many good mechanics from other good games, such as the loot and coop from Borderlands, the zombies from Left 4 Dead, the open world of a Fallout Game (though it does feel much more constricted than Fallout). But they were executed rather poorly. Pros: *Fun level-based coop game
    *Tons of loot and weapons
    *Big island to explore

Cons:
    *Combat gets old rather quickly
    *Classes don't differ enough
    *Driving is awful. Just awful.

7: This game does deserve a 7, because at times it can be fun. But overall the experience felt like a chore, due to a boring story with almost nothing to work towards, and a mediocre combat system that will feel old and tiresome after the first act or 2.
  24. Sep 26, 2011
    Dead Island has to be one of the best games out this year. It's on a different setting as in media Zombies outbreak occur in either cities or countryside, and putting it on a tropical island is original. The graphics are amazing, you feel like your actually on the fictional island on Banoi.

The combat, the gore and the general game play make this game very enjoyable. Well worth getting.
  25. Sep 26, 2011
    I really enjoy this game. The main quest is a bit short, but there are so many side quests to do that are actually quite fun. The storyline is good. You won't get sucked into it or anything, but that could have been worse. For the people complaining that it's all melee, well, they should have played longer, as there are guns to use, and although they don't make short work of theI really enjoy this game. The main quest is a bit short, but there are so many side quests to do that are actually quite fun. The storyline is good. You won't get sucked into it or anything, but that could have been worse. For the people complaining that it's all melee, well, they should have played longer, as there are guns to use, and although they don't make short work of the zombies you'll encounter, they do put an end to the non-dead rather quickly. I also tend to use the guns for bloaters and (man, I HATE these guys) butchers from a distance (be sure to finish these guys off, as they have a nasty habit of healing themselves). I'd have to say the most tense moments are when you are traveling in the sewers. There have also been complaints of the zombies leveling up with your character. Although that is partially true (you'll have zombies that are both lower and a bit higher than your character), what fun would it be if you can just go around with your level 40 character bashing a bunch of level 1 zombies? I can answer that, as I joined a game of a friend who had a low level character. It was too easy, and although it was great to feel like Superman for a while, that feeling left rather quickly. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go repair my weapons so I can effectively crush in some more zombie heads. Expand
  26. Oct 3, 2011
    Dead Island is some of what it is and some not. This game is a fantastic zombie killing game. It does have fantastic RPG elements with all the upgrading, mods, upkeep, and scavenging needed for each weapon. This game however is not one where you will be immersed in the world, plot, characters, etc. There is really no likable characters, they all have cheesy accents and their stereotypicalDead Island is some of what it is and some not. This game is a fantastic zombie killing game. It does have fantastic RPG elements with all the upgrading, mods, upkeep, and scavenging needed for each weapon. This game however is not one where you will be immersed in the world, plot, characters, etc. There is really no likable characters, they all have cheesy accents and their stereotypical dialogue isn't even laughable its just sad. Nothing story wise about this game is memorable...now that I have that out of the way this game excels at both graphics and audio. This is one of the best looking zombie games I have played. The audio is also top notch, as you can hear bones break as you hit a zombies arm with a baseball bat. This game should be played with 4 people to get a full experience, nothing like killing zombies with a friend. There isn't alot of replay value after you beat the game, joining a lower level players game is laughable because of how slowly you'll rank up. Overall, good game, but could have been better. 7/10 Expand
  27. Sep 27, 2011
    I think some of you nerdy types are a little hyper-critical of the bugs in the game. Yeah, there are some glitches, yeah, sometimes zombies freeze on you, your game may not save correctly. But, and I can't believe I'm comparing them, Oblivion had pretty much the same bugs, and this game actually plays smoother. All-in-all it is a very large, complex, challenging game. It was very wellI think some of you nerdy types are a little hyper-critical of the bugs in the game. Yeah, there are some glitches, yeah, sometimes zombies freeze on you, your game may not save correctly. But, and I can't believe I'm comparing them, Oblivion had pretty much the same bugs, and this game actually plays smoother. All-in-all it is a very large, complex, challenging game. It was very well crafted for the budget they had. In my opinion, if you liked Borderlands, this is the game for you. Expand
  28. Sep 28, 2011
    I really wanted this game to be a big hit! and when I got the game I did like it. However there were so many glitches it made the game unbearable, but not being one to admit defeat and that Id wasted my money I continued playing the game and for the most part having fun. that is until a glitch which took away all my weapons and my hands occurred and saved that way! And to top it off theI really wanted this game to be a big hit! and when I got the game I did like it. However there were so many glitches it made the game unbearable, but not being one to admit defeat and that Id wasted my money I continued playing the game and for the most part having fun. that is until a glitch which took away all my weapons and my hands occurred and saved that way! And to top it off the tech support was terrible! (even blaming me for not making a back-up!!). Now this game can boast being the only game I have ever taken back! full refund too! :-) Expand
  29. Sep 29, 2011
    I waited a long time for this game and it definitely met my huge expectations for it. I have been hooked on the game ever since i bought and playing the game with a friend greatly added to the experience. I've only had it for two days and I'm 78% done with the game, but even if the main story line is short there are always the great side quests which give you xp, mods, weapons, and alot ofI waited a long time for this game and it definitely met my huge expectations for it. I have been hooked on the game ever since i bought and playing the game with a friend greatly added to the experience. I've only had it for two days and I'm 78% done with the game, but even if the main story line is short there are always the great side quests which give you xp, mods, weapons, and alot of cool stuff. I read some of the negative reviews people have wrote and most of them were because of glitches and bugs but other then some pop ins and other minor stuff i haven't had any game breaking bugs. Me and my friend were able to join and leave our games at will. The reason I gave this game a 9 instead of a 10 was because of the story. It's not terrible but it could have been better. It just seemed like another zombie cliche where the characters are afraid and don't know what to do. Also it feels like the characters are just stereotypes of the different races. The African American who is a rapper says that his father got into a prison and his mom needed to raise him alone and he became a rapper, the white guy was a celebrity before he started drinking and became an alcoholic, and the asian has to honor her father who was in the Hong Kong police. The only character who is sort of original is Purna. But for a game like this gameplay is more important then story and there are alot of quests and stuff for you to do. Even when you beat the game you could start a new one with all the cool weapons and all islands opened up from the beginning and you could do the side quests. If you like zombie games, or any game where you could have fun with people then get this game. Even if you don't play it with anyone you will have fun but coop is pretty cool, especially when you and your friend(s) all get into a car and drive and run over zombies. For me it was one of the funnest games of the year. Expand
  30. Oct 3, 2011
    Graphically it doesn't look too bad, but fetch quest after fetch quest is enough to put even the most hardened zombie genre fan off. I gave up after about 4 hours.
  31. Oct 6, 2011
    Have you ever dreamed of one day fighting your way across a post apocalyptic zombie wasteland? Joining forces with a small group of warriors, and doing whatever it takes to survive? Well, here's your chance. Dead Island has captured the best elements of the genre and thrown you smack dab in the middle of it. Video previews do not do justice to this experience. You will fight for yourHave you ever dreamed of one day fighting your way across a post apocalyptic zombie wasteland? Joining forces with a small group of warriors, and doing whatever it takes to survive? Well, here's your chance. Dead Island has captured the best elements of the genre and thrown you smack dab in the middle of it. Video previews do not do justice to this experience. You will fight for your survival on tropical beaches, destroyed cities, infested jungles, as well as a prison that must be seen to be believed. Join forces with friends or total strangers.... And pray you make it out alive. Happy hunting. Expand
  32. Oct 13, 2011
    ok so it wasnt the sweeping tragic story that the early trailer may of let you believe. but its brutal. blood thirsty. crass romp through the over cluttered genre of survival horror. yes its flawed in some places. but nothing a few patches will cure. but for people like me. who love bashing zombies across the face with a blunt object. this will be your game of the year! dead island is leftok so it wasnt the sweeping tragic story that the early trailer may of let you believe. but its brutal. blood thirsty. crass romp through the over cluttered genre of survival horror. yes its flawed in some places. but nothing a few patches will cure. but for people like me. who love bashing zombies across the face with a blunt object. this will be your game of the year! dead island is left for dead (played at half speed) with a dose of borderlands. and a bucket of gore and guts, some dodgy voice acting and story. but who cares. its a zombie game! bring some friends! Expand
  33. Oct 15, 2011
    Biggest Disappointment of the year, this game suck more ass then a ass sucking vampire. I really wanted to like this game alot, but its a horrible broken game full of bugs and glitchs and crappy cutscene animations. the game also gets boring and you have to force yourself to play it to the end.
  34. Oct 15, 2011
    I was pretty disappointed with this game to be honest. I'd been following it pretty much since announcement and was pretty much ecstatic when the first trailer was released. But this game fell so short of what I expected. There are a lot of major bugs in the game and even more weird animations, the gameplay gets somewhat stale very fast, going from open world to incredibly restrictiveI was pretty disappointed with this game to be honest. I'd been following it pretty much since announcement and was pretty much ecstatic when the first trailer was released. But this game fell so short of what I expected. There are a lot of major bugs in the game and even more weird animations, the gameplay gets somewhat stale very fast, going from open world to incredibly restrictive areas and the story is next to non-existent. The main redeeming factors are the variety in weapons available and the graphics. What I will say is if you enjoyed the style of game-play Borderlands had you'll probably enjoy this a lot more than I did. Expand
  35. Oct 15, 2011
    Seeing the game trailer for this so long ago I really expected a gripping fight for your life experience. What was received was a in your face mash em up. This game is fun. Pure and simple. Lacks extremely in story but the sheer game play is very rewarding. With that being said I experienced several bugs with the game. Constant freezing in Co-Op was very frustrating plus the corrupted gameSeeing the game trailer for this so long ago I really expected a gripping fight for your life experience. What was received was a in your face mash em up. This game is fun. Pure and simple. Lacks extremely in story but the sheer game play is very rewarding. With that being said I experienced several bugs with the game. Constant freezing in Co-Op was very frustrating plus the corrupted game saves I encountered made it game breaking. Regardless of the bugs I still had and have a blast with this game. You really can't get over the broken limbs and perfectly timed decapitations. Expand
  36. Oct 17, 2011
    Dead Island feels like a frankengame cobbled together from scavenged parts. Itâ
  37. Oct 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have really enjoyed playing Dead Island. I love Zombie movies so I guess I am the target demographic. This is a dumb stupid game , in the nicest possible way. Don't look here for knowing social satire a la Romero's peerless trilogy. Rather it is Daw of The Dead- the slick flash remake. More likely it is the even dumber Day of the Dead remake. Yes, that crudely drawn. However the game is great fun. I had no problems with bugs or controls. You have nods to Romero's classic shufflers "walkers", and the fast runners of the 28 Days later and previously mentioned remakes. These "infected" are fantastic as they shriek and rush you. This not a great game but it sure is mighty fun. Expand
  38. Oct 21, 2011
    Awesome game, it combines rpg elements with great melee combat.
    I really think that Dead Island deserves a better score.
    A must buy for zombie lovers !
  39. Oct 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The thing with Dead Island is, it starts of very enticing, you want to carry on playing and find out, 'How did this happen?' 'Why am I immune to this disease?' But the more you go through the game, the more you can actually live without knowing. It has a very repetitive style, NPC always asking for something. It's fetch this and fetch that, and halfway through the game you are just feel like saying, 'Go do it yourself!' And the ending left me very disappointed, the cure turning Ryder White into a zombie, oh please! Although admittedly the whole gameplay is very unique and nothing iv seen in a zombie game before, mainly melee combat based to make the game more tricky, but then I wasn't even afraid of dying because you lose some money and then are respawned in exactly the same place, or in some cases at your actual location your going too! Overall its good for about the 1st act before you realise the repetitiveness of it all, combat can be very fun, but sometimes very challenging if you are playing single player rather than multiplayer as you are overwhelmed with zombie (Especially at the church area) but still don't worry, you only lose money! The NPC as well as the PC's are very bland and you don't connect with them, I really couldn't have cared less if they would have all died in the end! (To be honest it would have been a better ending!) The scenery in this game is just amazing and it is fun just to sometimes take time out of doing repetitive quests and just explore the open world! Expand
  40. Oct 24, 2011
    The game is one of the best zombie games I've played. The scenery blew me away, but it seemed to me that they took so long on the scenery and wanted to sell it quick, so they didn't even give any character any facial expressions. During touching moments in the game I just couldn't get into it because they didn't have any expressions, which ruined the mood quick. And the play ability isn'tThe game is one of the best zombie games I've played. The scenery blew me away, but it seemed to me that they took so long on the scenery and wanted to sell it quick, so they didn't even give any character any facial expressions. During touching moments in the game I just couldn't get into it because they didn't have any expressions, which ruined the mood quick. And the play ability isn't very good, I rate it a 7. I beat the game twice already and got to level 50. I almost have every achievement just not even caring to get them, all you need to do to get them is just play the game. It was a great game, but they could have done better by a lot. But hopefully they will do better in the 2nd one. At the end of the game they hint at a 2nd one being created. Expand
  41. Oct 25, 2011
    I like my zombie games from time to time and IMO this is my favourite one yet. So to start with the visuals which aren't that great, they look best in the first act with the beaches but they look rather ugly elsewhere. I noticed that the draw distance is not very good either and seeing a beach ball spawn in front of a zombie was a tad weird. The story is also not very good with some awfulI like my zombie games from time to time and IMO this is my favourite one yet. So to start with the visuals which aren't that great, they look best in the first act with the beaches but they look rather ugly elsewhere. I noticed that the draw distance is not very good either and seeing a beach ball spawn in front of a zombie was a tad weird. The story is also not very good with some awful accents and a genuinely boring plot with no suspense, same goes with the mission and side quest which should all be renamed to fetch the item because that is all it is. When I played it took me about 31 hours to finish which is a bit longer then most but I do like to explore and kill zombies. Now onto the gameplay which is where Dead Island shines, there is nothing better then whacking a zombie in the head with a baseball bat and seeing his head implode in SLOW MOTION, the melee weapons all feel nice and kill zombies in great ways and that is before there modded. Firearms fall short and are not as great to use and don't give the same good feeling a machete will. The RPG elements are also done well with the skill trees all making sense and I always found my self wondering which skill to go for next. Now the modding is actually a lot better then I thought it would be with some pretty good weapons to make which pack a hell of a punch such as the sledgehammer with the Tesla mod which literally sends zombies flying. The Co-op side of things work rather well and you wouldn't really think you had left single-player, I only experienced a problem once and even that was minor.
    In conclusion this is definitely a game you should take a look at and with about 50 hours on the clock for me, it sure is worth the cash.
  42. Oct 28, 2011
    Dead Island has it's flaws. Engine problems abound in this game with clipping and sometimes ugly textures and strange enemy AI. Graphical hiccups aside, this game is a lot of fun. There is a main story/quest structure that you can follow and side quests issued by people you meet. Much of the combat is melee and it is easy to get overwhelmed as enemies level up with you. This keeps theDead Island has it's flaws. Engine problems abound in this game with clipping and sometimes ugly textures and strange enemy AI. Graphical hiccups aside, this game is a lot of fun. There is a main story/quest structure that you can follow and side quests issued by people you meet. Much of the combat is melee and it is easy to get overwhelmed as enemies level up with you. This keeps the combat challenging throughout to the end of the game. Each section of the island forces you to employ new combat mechanics to stay alive so the game didn't get boring. The game is full of gore and creepiness and it was a day one purchase for me. I'm eagerly awaiting DLC and highly recommend this game. Expand
  43. Oct 31, 2011
    I am shocked this game scored so low. I have to say that there were a few bugs in my playthrough, but I am assuming that there was a patch that fixed all of the major ones as I didn't get bothered in the least by any I ran across, just a few minor hiccups. The story was also lacking, considering this is a zombie game I think we can all get over that. Now that the two main flaws are out ofI am shocked this game scored so low. I have to say that there were a few bugs in my playthrough, but I am assuming that there was a patch that fixed all of the major ones as I didn't get bothered in the least by any I ran across, just a few minor hiccups. The story was also lacking, considering this is a zombie game I think we can all get over that. Now that the two main flaws are out of the way we can get down to what was great about the game, as this was the meat and bones of the negativity. The scenery really sucks you in. This draws you into thinking that you are in a zombie apocalypse, or at least a B-movie as the voice acting is absolutely hilarious at points. It is so much fun to wander through the vast maps while battling the random zombies that come at you. Each one provides a lootable item. Looting is one of the most important parts of the game. It is necessary to collect many different parts to modify weapons or complete quests. The looting is usually done after attacks so it never does become stale, only a breather from the combat, which can actually provide quite a challenge at times.
    There are four classes. Each class has it's own weapon type specialty which is related to the skill tree upgrades. The zombies do level with you but never overbear your skills, I found the difficulty progression to be right on the money.
    The game is based around co-op play. With an internet connection joining a friends game is a simple process. Joining another game is also only a button click away. Unfortunately there is no local co-op, which is truly a shame as my friend and I passed the controller back and forth for all 32 hours we spent on the main campaign. These 32 hours do not take into account the amount of game we did not complete. Two days after the completion of the game we both decided that playing through again under a different class and attempting to complete each side quest.

My impressions of the game are very high. I came into the game with very low expectations. After seeing the trailer months before it came out I was intrigued. After watching the gameplay I was pleasantly surprised. I remembered how disappointed I was with other zombie games in the past. After a few weeks of the game being out I decided to give it a try despite the poor reviews. Basically I went from buying the game as a casual time killer to being completely sucked into the absolute awesomeness of this game. Forget the negative reviews and give this game and honest chance. If you don't like it after roaming around for some time and allowing yourself the opportunity to try the different aspects then you are probably playing the wrong genre of video games.
  44. Dec 2, 2016
    Lacking the emotional punch of the game's announcement trailer, as well as succumbing to zombie game cliches and clunky controls, Dead Island is a disappointment. However, the game serves as relatively fun, albeit disposable entertainment, even though it should have been greater.
  45. Nov 5, 2011
    Dead Island is interesting, unconventional and incredibly disappointing. The visuals are great, combat is (usually) responsive and fun, plus you can level up your character. Unfortunately, the story and gameplay become frustrating and repetitive a few hours in, and the glitches certainly don't motivate you to keep playing. Co-Op with friends is fun as long as you keep your charactersDead Island is interesting, unconventional and incredibly disappointing. The visuals are great, combat is (usually) responsive and fun, plus you can level up your character. Unfortunately, the story and gameplay become frustrating and repetitive a few hours in, and the glitches certainly don't motivate you to keep playing. Co-Op with friends is fun as long as you keep your characters the same level. However you and your friends will probably end up having the most fun laughing at the crushingly generic plot. Dead Island isn't bad, hell it may even be worth a rental or a bargain bin purchase, but there are far better alternatives out there. Expand
  46. Nov 8, 2011
    I think this games amazing just too amazing. I enjoyed the free roam and wish for the game game to be reviewed after the games patched in the future because it takes 24 hours to get bored of it. But that's for some people for me, i enjoyed it spent weeks, weeks and weeks playing it. The next dead island called dead world i think would be kick-ass
  47. Nov 10, 2011
    This is a fun game. Pure and simple. This is nothing like Left4Dead or Dead Rising. Do not come into this expecting either of those games. The zombies seem real there are different types that react differently. An arsenal of different weapons you can upgrade and make your own. I really don't have anything negative to say about this game. A 9 for the minor minor minor graphical errors andThis is a fun game. Pure and simple. This is nothing like Left4Dead or Dead Rising. Do not come into this expecting either of those games. The zombies seem real there are different types that react differently. An arsenal of different weapons you can upgrade and make your own. I really don't have anything negative to say about this game. A 9 for the minor minor minor graphical errors and glitches. Grab some friends put analog controls on its just so much more satisfying Expand
  48. Nov 9, 2011
    Not the best game i've boughten but it aint the worst. Dead Island is perfect for people who like the Dead Rising franchise and L4D games. Its more like the combination of both. Graphics are great. The itself is kind of short but the quests don't get boring so easily. This game would be my second choice on my list of Games That You Would Recommend To A Friend.
  49. Nov 10, 2011
    Dead Island is a game that I followed from its first appearance online to its release only to feel the slightest bit disapointed in what I have experienced. Being a huge fan of the Zombie genre, I played the game for up to 30 hours in my first two days of owning a copy to detect the similarities in other games that I had noticed in developer interviews online.

Many people have stated

Many people have stated that Dead Island is considered to be a lovechild of Dead Rising and Borderlands, and they aren't wrong. I believe that ALL RPG elements from Borderlands are present within Dead Island, from the Skill trees, weapon rarities, zombie level and health bar present to the "damage dealt numbers" flying out of zombies with each weapon strike. Either Gearbox, as a friend, lent these features to Techland, or they have been darn cheeky about putting these features in. The Dead Rising element here however of attention to zombie killing detail and weapon creation has been taken a step further, with the MOD system being very planned and with a selection of fun MOD's.

Visually and Audio wise, the game is masterpiece. I often found myself just looking at the trees sway, listening to the sound of sea waves and enjoying the crunch of zombie bones and flesh being torn off zombies. Every environment within Dead Island is flawless and really does set the standard that I believe all zombie games in the future need to rise above or abide by.

Solo play at first will seem very fun, but as time progresses, you feel overwhelmed and bored with running from mission to mission. Playing with others insures that you will have a 9/10 gaming experience, especially if they are your friends as much fun can be had tormenting zombies with them. Still only 9/10 because of the games story. As for story, a terrible excuse for one. The further you progress in the game, the less of a point it seems to make. The fun to be had here is exploring the beautiful landscapes and finding lots of fun weapons and items to slaughter zombies with your mates.
  50. Aug 30, 2012
    Play co-op if you don't want this to become a grind. The first 5 hours of this game is amazing. Past that you ,may like I did, will find yourself running past zombies more than killing them. As for the protagonists, each is unique and based on racist and bigamist stereotypes of Black people, Southerners, Asians, and Women. The Southerner is an ex football player who is an alcoholic, thePlay co-op if you don't want this to become a grind. The first 5 hours of this game is amazing. Past that you ,may like I did, will find yourself running past zombies more than killing them. As for the protagonists, each is unique and based on racist and bigamist stereotypes of Black people, Southerners, Asians, and Women. The Southerner is an ex football player who is an alcoholic, the Black male is a rapper from South Central, the Asian is from China and is very subservient to her "fadda," and the Black Woman is a stereotypical b**ch. Other than that, they each play very differently. As for the gameplay, like I said earlier, there is nothing new past the first 5 hours. This game had potential, yet like too many games it languished in development too long and had too much fat tacked onto it. Expand
  51. Feb 11, 2012
    Started out as a great game, problem for me was when my 20 hours save file got corrupted. Because of this I would warn people to keep in mind that many of the bugs in this game haven't been rectified by the developer. I think they are more focused on Dead Island 2.
  52. Nov 14, 2011
    I wanted to like this game, I REALLY wanted to LOVE this game. I tried, but I couldn't. With a game breaking weapon break system, horrible release version full of glitches, patches that caused more issues than they fixed, and "Pre-Order DLC" that still hasn't been released (it was announced today to finally come out on November 22nd, months after release) I can say that when I traded thisI wanted to like this game, I REALLY wanted to LOVE this game. I tried, but I couldn't. With a game breaking weapon break system, horrible release version full of glitches, patches that caused more issues than they fixed, and "Pre-Order DLC" that still hasn't been released (it was announced today to finally come out on November 22nd, months after release) I can say that when I traded this game in, the 25 dollars I got back were a sore disappointment. A game with huge potential that got horribly mishandled by what seems to be a fledgling developer may have been the nail in their coffin for me. Expand
  53. Nov 17, 2011
    Dead island has some of the most impressive and realistic graphics I have seen in a game, far superior to the bland brownness of the Call of duty series. That is the best part of the game, the visuals. The game play could have been fun if you did not have to do the same quests for 20 hours. Seriously, I felt like all I did for the entire game was collect tanks of fuel for people and killDead island has some of the most impressive and realistic graphics I have seen in a game, far superior to the bland brownness of the Call of duty series. That is the best part of the game, the visuals. The game play could have been fun if you did not have to do the same quests for 20 hours. Seriously, I felt like all I did for the entire game was collect tanks of fuel for people and kill zombies! The trailers made it out to have an engaging storyline. It did not! It had terrible character development and a few boring cutscenes. Seriously this game could have taken a leaf out of Fallout's book and been a zombie RPG, it might have been interesting then. The only part I enjoyed was at the very end where there is a prison full of convicts calling you 'brutha'. The only thing that kept me going throughout this hell adventure was Gamer score and the fact I told the guy I borrowed it from I would finish it. I think I'm being quite lenient with giving this game a 5. Expand
  54. Nov 20, 2011
    A new zombie killer for the most enthusiastic gamer that seek new ways of skinning zombies with a bad plot intriguingly, many bugs but with a new level of fun in its friendly and good gameplay and sound effects. Just and only for fans of zombie killing.
  55. Nov 22, 2011
    Meh.... I was hoping for the perfect coupling of Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead and what I got was a technical nightmare. Let's start off with what it does right. Fun Co Op play and zombie hacking goodness with a Borderlands like leveling system. But I found that when I played by myself the game absolutely punished me with mobs of zombies I couldn't handle and game glitches with the compassMeh.... I was hoping for the perfect coupling of Dead Rising and Left 4 Dead and what I got was a technical nightmare. Let's start off with what it does right. Fun Co Op play and zombie hacking goodness with a Borderlands like leveling system. But I found that when I played by myself the game absolutely punished me with mobs of zombies I couldn't handle and game glitches with the compass and graphics. I had tons of fun playing with friends except for the part where if one of us died we spawned half way around the world away from everyone else! So at the end of the day it's meh. Good with friends bad by yourself. I think they've been patching the issues but Deep Silver shouldn't have let it been so unpolished. Expand
  56. Nov 21, 2011
    This is one of those games that could have set the standard on games to come, but eventually falls short in several aspects. While I thouroughly enjoyed the game for the 20+ hours I played it, I felt a bit cheated. The leveling up aspect of your character and weapon classes were a great addition to this, I felt that the weapons fell short. While I loved the fact that when you used yourThis is one of those games that could have set the standard on games to come, but eventually falls short in several aspects. While I thouroughly enjoyed the game for the 20+ hours I played it, I felt a bit cheated. The leveling up aspect of your character and weapon classes were a great addition to this, I felt that the weapons fell short. While I loved the fact that when you used your weapong, they begin to degrade and you have to continually fix them. This added alot of strategy to the game. However, I found it frustrating that melee weapons were so much more powerful than any gun you will come to use in the game. I mean come on, you have to follow zombie rules 101, shoot them in the head and they die, but not this game. It seems to place more emphasis on using melee items, than guns. If you go in to this game as I did, thinking that it may perhaps be a new iteration of Resident Evil, you will be disappointed. But if you play through this game with an open mind, you wont regret it. Even with some of its flaws, its not a game to be missed by fans of zombies, or survival horror. Expand
  57. Feb 17, 2012
    An absolutely fantastic game. It presents you with a lot of first person action horror/ thriller which will keep you engaged throughout the game. There are a mix of missions, Side missions and continuous activities. It is virtually impossible to become bored with this game until you finish it where the free roam element is withdrawn from the game causing you to restart the game from theAn absolutely fantastic game. It presents you with a lot of first person action horror/ thriller which will keep you engaged throughout the game. There are a mix of missions, Side missions and continuous activities. It is virtually impossible to become bored with this game until you finish it where the free roam element is withdrawn from the game causing you to restart the game from the begging or simply not to play it. The story in this game is undeniably one of the best stories you'll come across for a long time. The characters are very realistic in which you have people from across the world with accents which work very well with the person talking. Overall I give this game a 9/10 and not 10 because it lacks the ability to free roam at the end of the game which is down to the way the story ends but still a disappointing feature. And that the game doesn't present you with that feeling that you want to play it through again. Expand
  58. Nov 25, 2011
    First of all I would like to say that I have by no means finished this game completely, but I feel i've played enough of it to experience the main features of the game. When I first played Dead Island, I just felt like it was a more challenging version of the Left 4 Dead games that was open-world and had MUCH better graphics. But, the minute I started playing the game in co-op, I realizedFirst of all I would like to say that I have by no means finished this game completely, but I feel i've played enough of it to experience the main features of the game. When I first played Dead Island, I just felt like it was a more challenging version of the Left 4 Dead games that was open-world and had MUCH better graphics. But, the minute I started playing the game in co-op, I realized truly how awesome this game turned out to be! And one of the most satisfying things I've found so far is the great feeling of using a sharp blade to cleaning cut the entire head off of nearly every zombie I encountered. This game is great if you are on your own, however, it becomes even more great the second you team up with a buddy, or three buddies for that matter. Expand
  59. Nov 26, 2011
    this is the worst zombie game i've played,it's not scary,it's not even funny.it fails at what it was supposed to do-be fun.the weapons break to easily,yes its supposed to be realistic but i dontnwant my machete which cost £2000 to repair be broken in 3 hits!theres never enough zombies at the right time,and when there are they're impossibly hard and there about 30 of themthis is the worst zombie game i've played,it's not scary,it's not even funny.it fails at what it was supposed to do-be fun.the weapons break to easily,yes its supposed to be realistic but i dontnwant my machete which cost £2000 to repair be broken in 3 hits!theres never enough zombies at the right time,and when there are they're impossibly hard and there about 30 of them crowding you.missions are reptative always going to get something for someone(i had to get a teddy once),guns are okay once you get a decent amount of ammo(which is hard to find in most of the game)overall this is a very poor game.only buy it when it's reduced to £10. Expand
  60. Dec 19, 2011
    Not hard to see where this game went wrong. The first you thing you notice is the terrible button layout thatâ
  61. Jan 1, 2012
    I enjoyed this game more than I thought I would. First of all, if anyone thinks this is just a Left 4 Dead clone, then know that there's a bit more emphasis put on the single-player and you aren't forced to play what amounts to a multiplayer only game like L4D. However it is similar to L4D enough that if you liked that game, then you will like this one. If nothing else this will sate yourI enjoyed this game more than I thought I would. First of all, if anyone thinks this is just a Left 4 Dead clone, then know that there's a bit more emphasis put on the single-player and you aren't forced to play what amounts to a multiplayer only game like L4D. However it is similar to L4D enough that if you liked that game, then you will like this one. If nothing else this will sate your need for a new zombie game and the open-endedness is kinda refreshing for this type of game. Especially now that the price has dropped, if you were thinking about taking a chance on this game, go ahead and do it. You should enjoy what it has to offer you. Expand
  62. Dec 30, 2011
    amazing is the only word i can use to describe this game. its the zombie rpg that me and i'm sure a-lot of gamer's have been waiting for a long time for. there are too many pro's to even count. the only con's i can really think of are the semi - common texture bugs, the heavy reliance on guns (once you get a gun nothing else is really necessary, and ammo is plenty) and the model varietyamazing is the only word i can use to describe this game. its the zombie rpg that me and i'm sure a-lot of gamer's have been waiting for a long time for. there are too many pro's to even count. the only con's i can really think of are the semi - common texture bugs, the heavy reliance on guns (once you get a gun nothing else is really necessary, and ammo is plenty) and the model variety (only 2-3 versions of guns, less of some melee weapons) as well as the replayability. the story is amazing, but once you finish it (it took me 2 days, minus the side quests) you cant really do anything except the story. hoping for a new section of the island or something for dlc. although your character can start a new campaign with all of they're stuff from the last, but dead island is lacking other game-types that keep most games going. Expand
  63. Jan 3, 2012
    It's, by far, the best zombie game I've ever had the pleasure of playing. From the different types of zombies, to the ability to take on side quests and play at your speed, and then a good main story line, it's well worth the money. And the main quests aren't too short, either. I usually finished games in a day but I'm still not done and I've had it for over a week now. I would recommendIt's, by far, the best zombie game I've ever had the pleasure of playing. From the different types of zombies, to the ability to take on side quests and play at your speed, and then a good main story line, it's well worth the money. And the main quests aren't too short, either. I usually finished games in a day but I'm still not done and I've had it for over a week now. I would recommend it to anybody. Expand
  64. Jan 23, 2012
    Good intentions, but poor execution: it's hard to go wrong with Zombies in Paradise, but Square Enix does its best to do so. The game is definitely enjoyable, but a mediocre control scheme, a buggy-to-the-point-of-near-uselessness map system, a quest guidance system that has no concept of sealed doors, and a quest system that alternates between leading you by the hand and giving you noGood intentions, but poor execution: it's hard to go wrong with Zombies in Paradise, but Square Enix does its best to do so. The game is definitely enjoyable, but a mediocre control scheme, a buggy-to-the-point-of-near-uselessness map system, a quest guidance system that has no concept of sealed doors, and a quest system that alternates between leading you by the hand and giving you no information at all combine to make a great experience barely tolerable. Throw in the fact that there is no way to save your progress yourself and that autosaves not only kick you back to a safe haven, but occasionally reset progress on quests, and you get a game that probably could have used another month or three in development.

It does deserve credit for some interesting features: for example, the combination of stamina usage and weapon wear means that you can't just button-mash, and there's a wide enough variety of weapons that you'll rarely find a weapon that must be used above all others. Then again, weapon wear means that you've got to keep workshops in mind when you're out hunting, and of course the map does not distinguish between workshops to which you have access and those you haven't yet unlocked (so then how do you know there's a workshop there?). There is a balance between male and female PCs, and they each appear to have comparable strengths and no glaring weaknesses. On the other hand, the resort-island setting is a convenient excuse for a jiggle show, even if it's a static one (NPCs are generally sitting or standing, not moving around), and female NPCs seem to give you quests that fit a helpless-woman stereotype, while the male NPCs aren't portrayed in quite that light. (It's not like any of them volunteer to help you fight zombies, though.) It's not a bad game, and the challenges and achievements combine with the different playable characters to give you a reason to go back and try it again, but it's hard to avoid the feeling that it could have been so much more.
  65. Jan 23, 2012
    For me, a lot of developers have missed those elements that I find especially appealing in the 'zombie apocalypse' genre. First, while I enjoy something like Left 4 Dead, in that game I'm just constantly overwhelmed, hanging on by a thread that is ready to snap the moment any tiny thing inevitably goes wrong. But a zombie apocalypse has the potential to feel a little empowering, too.For me, a lot of developers have missed those elements that I find especially appealing in the 'zombie apocalypse' genre. First, while I enjoy something like Left 4 Dead, in that game I'm just constantly overwhelmed, hanging on by a thread that is ready to snap the moment any tiny thing inevitably goes wrong. But a zombie apocalypse has the potential to feel a little empowering, too. Individual zombies are relatively easy to combat, and when most of the inhibitions of modern society evaporate there is almost a sense of relief and cathartic freedom--that is something I like about the genre. I also like the social questions provoked by the genre--the idea that some people would take advantage of the situation, and values would have to be re-visited. I am drawn to that moment when the zombies feel relatively manageable, but now the real threat is greed and the motives of other survivors. And fortifications--how survivors would hole up and organize their eventual response. And driving over zombies! I love the idea of driving over zombies! But maybe most important is what I find scary about zombies. With zombies, everything is going fine one minute, and you get a little over confident, and then suddenly you realize there is one behind you, or one a little closer than you had anticipated, and your escape route is a little tougher to get to than you expected, and youâ Expand
  66. Feb 13, 2012
    Amazing, if you love zombies this is a must buy, i have over 100 hours in this game and i still love it, the combat is deeper then what you see in gameplay movies, its really nice to choose your angles and to get the perfect distance when you play with manually controlls. solid looting system and awsome drop in drop out co-op. in my mind this was better then borderlands.
  67. Oct 25, 2012
    Po raz kolejny mam przyjemność grać w dzieło rodzimego studia, które pokazało światowy poziom.
    Na starcie zacznę od tego, że jestem wielkim fanem wszelkiego rodzaju gier z grasującymi nieumarłymi. Przyglądałem się temu tytułowi od czasu pamiętnego trailera opowiadającego, od tyłu, historię rodzinki, która stała się bohaterem makabrycznej i tragicznej sceny. Oglądałem od czasu do czasu jakieś gameplaye i filmiki o grze, jednak cały czas coś trzymało mnie na dystans i nie byłem przekonany do kupna. Chodziło o tryb walki i podejście twórców do gry bez broni palnej. Jako fan strzelanek uznałem to za duży minus. Jak się teraz okazuje był to duży błąd z mojej strony. Odpaliłem grę i natychmiast zostałem rzucony na głęboką wodę dzierżąc tylko poobijane wiosło w dłoni mojego bohatera. Po pierwszym zamachu i impecie rozwalającej się głowy zombiaka wiedziałem, że to jest ZAJEBISTE!
    Polskie studio postarało się bardzo jeżeli chodzi o kwestię mechaniki. Sterowanie jest bardzo intuicyjne i wyważone. Za minus uznaję tylko brak jakiegokolwiek tutoriala jeżeli chodzi o sterowanie zaawansowane, ponieważ niedzielnym graczom może sprawić pewną trudność "wystartowanie". Po czasie gdy już wiemy co do czego służy i o co w tym wszystkim chodzi, zaczyna się zabawa. Przerabianie broni, lootowanie tysięcy miejscówek w poszukiwaniu składników, wybijanie chord zombiaków i eksploracja nowych miejscówek. Sam smaczek. Gra prezentuje bardzo przyzwoity poziom graficzny, biorąc pod uwagę rozległe tereny. Design przeciwników to majstersztyk w tej dziedzinie. Poobdzierane ze skóry, na wpół spalone, zdekapitowane potwory, których jedynym celem jest dorwanie i zmasakrowanie głównego bohatera. Od wolno człapiących poczwar, poprzez sprintujące, kończąc na wielkich silnych skurczybykach.
    Gra ma również swoje minusy. Momentami scenariusz zalicza dziwne spadki i jest naprawdę słaby. Twórcy mieli ewidentnie problem z tworzeniem podniosłych scen (co może dziwić po znakomitym trailerze), w efekcie otrzymujemy parodię. Od czasu pojawiają się także zgrzyty w mechanice autosave'ów i ich ładowania. Nie raz zdarzyło mi się zespownować po śmierci w skupisku zombiaków, które już po chwili na mnie szarżowały i znów ginąłem. Szkoda, że twórcy nie pomyśleli i o spownowanu w safe-zonach. Niedoróbki pojawiają się na szczęście sporadycznie, a natłok fun'u zamazuje wszystko co nieprzyjemne.
    Podsumowując, tytuł niezbędny w kolekcji każdego fana zombiaków jak i fana cięcia wszelkiego rodzaju truchła.
    Tak dalej Techland ,)
  68. Mar 11, 2012
    Dead Island is one of the greatest zombie games to have ever been created. Dead island is an FPS & RPG. You don't use guns for the most part its normally melee but there are guns. What makes Dead Island so interesting is that it is a zombie game that is open world map. Before this the closest game was Dead Rising but in that game you where still forced to finish main quests within aDead Island is one of the greatest zombie games to have ever been created. Dead island is an FPS & RPG. You don't use guns for the most part its normally melee but there are guns. What makes Dead Island so interesting is that it is a zombie game that is open world map. Before this the closest game was Dead Rising but in that game you where still forced to finish main quests within a time limit. Another is the weapon customization. You can create so many things such as a clever that shoots electric currents through your foes bodies as you slice through them. There are also 4 players to choose from which gives better replay value. Multi-player on this game is amazing and has never let me down. Down sides are there are some bugs but they don't take away from the game so much, texture takes a while to load sometimes, and the voice acting isn't too well done. Get this game especially when it is the price it is now! Expand
  69. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is quite good, and will you give hours of pleasure if you like a tactical shooter where running and gunning is not the only option (more often, you need to run away and come back later). The breaking weapons aspect is really cool, a bit like in real life (not that i know from experience, I don't own too many weapons. Great graphics & sound, nice story, definitely game youThis game is quite good, and will you give hours of pleasure if you like a tactical shooter where running and gunning is not the only option (more often, you need to run away and come back later). The breaking weapons aspect is really cool, a bit like in real life (not that i know from experience, I don't own too many weapons. Great graphics & sound, nice story, definitely game you should check out Expand
  70. May 5, 2012
    A really bad game. Bought it thinking it can't be that bad.. and tolerated it for so long.. but put it down because it just isn't fun. It is a cross between Borderlands, L4D, and Dead Rising. It could have been great. But you get knocked down by zombies so easily and have to wait to get up. Then you respawn at a random location, and you can't simply rush back- ombies respawn quickly. YourA really bad game. Bought it thinking it can't be that bad.. and tolerated it for so long.. but put it down because it just isn't fun. It is a cross between Borderlands, L4D, and Dead Rising. It could have been great. But you get knocked down by zombies so easily and have to wait to get up. Then you respawn at a random location, and you can't simply rush back- ombies respawn quickly. Your best weapon quickly becomes useless as it degrades, and you end up with no money to repair. The quest management is broken, randomly not letting you follow a side quest, which consist generally of 'go here and get this'.

People look like manikins from hell, and the graphics suffer from glitches and draw in, but they are bearable. Voice acting is pretty poor. If they removed weapon degradation and zombies knocking you over (or at least made it rare), rehauled the quest system, it could have been really good. But as it stands it is just damn annoying. Every tactic I take results in me getting overwhelmed and left with crap, worn weapons that no longer deal any damage worth the while. I tried so so so hard to love it, and failing that, I tried hard to respect their vision and play it through. But ii is just tedious. I still wish I could love it- but I just can't bare to put it in my Xbox again..
  71. Mar 21, 2012
    Its a pretty good zombie game, it sets the atmosphere real well of an island, my only problem is, when you think zombies, you think hordes, at least I do. In this game the zombie hordes that do show up, are unstoppable, and real harsh. I do enjoy that the game seems realistic, such as not giving u loads of bullets to throw at zombies, but maybe I'm in a Romero mindset and I wanna see themIts a pretty good zombie game, it sets the atmosphere real well of an island, my only problem is, when you think zombies, you think hordes, at least I do. In this game the zombie hordes that do show up, are unstoppable, and real harsh. I do enjoy that the game seems realistic, such as not giving u loads of bullets to throw at zombies, but maybe I'm in a Romero mindset and I wanna see them shambling in mass. That is just a personal quirk however and won't detract from the score here. Overall, the zombies can be scary and the situations are realistic, except for the psycho zombie in the straight jacket, that is a little far fetched, but still lovable...in a zombie way. The real con's I guess are having to repair items almost constantly after combat. You could say the fights are to hard, but I think this adds to the realism of the game itself. Everyone in this world isn't some hulking badass who can take down the zombie menace with a butter knife. Controls are pretty good, I find the skill trees to be a bit to linear. Let me explain, you can get an unlock skill, but its down one of the trees, which means if you want to unlock boxes, you have to go down that tree to do that. I just didn't like the skill trees. Overall it was a fun game, and I'd play a second one, for some reason I remember hitting a tree with a machete and it bleeding, and I have seen a few bugs but nothing game breaking. Finally, the rapper sounds kinda like Morgan Freeman when he says his backstory :D Expand
  72. Apr 4, 2012
    I had high hopes for this originally, it seemed the perfect hybrid of Left 4 Dead and Borderlands' online co-op in a free-roaming world with Dead Rising's focus on melee. Unfortunately, I found that Dead Island was the less satisfying than any of those other three franchises. The story is very cut and dry, nothing terribly intriguing. The character leveling system is fun, reminded me veryI had high hopes for this originally, it seemed the perfect hybrid of Left 4 Dead and Borderlands' online co-op in a free-roaming world with Dead Rising's focus on melee. Unfortunately, I found that Dead Island was the less satisfying than any of those other three franchises. The story is very cut and dry, nothing terribly intriguing. The character leveling system is fun, reminded me very much of Borderlands, but nothing about the gameplay makes me want to level everyone up. The good news is there is a ton to do, the bad news is that the gameplay is quite repetitive and I found that it got old very quickly. If you're in my shoes, you'll get bored of the game long before you come close to finishing everything there is to see and do. Expand
  73. Apr 5, 2012
    Dead Island is a fun game to play in co-op or even alone. The combat system is quite good but the weapons break a bit too easily. The area(s) are really large and there's plenty to explore and the graphics are quite nice too. Essentially, it's a good game, one thing that I don't like though is the voice-acting of it, it's pretty bad. Some of the quests are just 'fetch this and come back'Dead Island is a fun game to play in co-op or even alone. The combat system is quite good but the weapons break a bit too easily. The area(s) are really large and there's plenty to explore and the graphics are quite nice too. Essentially, it's a good game, one thing that I don't like though is the voice-acting of it, it's pretty bad. Some of the quests are just 'fetch this and come back' quests and that's a bit annoying too. I'd recommend it to people who enjoyed Left 4 Dead, Dead Rising and/or Fallout. Expand
  74. Apr 8, 2012
    This game is so bad. I wanted to like this but it's so broken , treble graphics, coop is so bad and it took them 5 1/2 years to make it. It should never come to the stores.
  75. Apr 16, 2012
    First thing to say. Zombie games must be arcade and not some weird ass rpg game. After playing it for 2 hours i was totally bored. For me a zombie game must be like Left for Dead. Classic shooting some zombies brains out. Yeah there are some good stuff in the game ofcourse. But i was really disappointed when i played this game.
  76. Apr 17, 2012
    This game was an absolute blast to play. While there are a few instances of bugs with clipping, they are a forgivable offense in light of the overall hilarity and replayability of this title. The characters' rage powers are different and interesting, which helps add to the replay value since the experience retains much of its freshness via the different styles you approach the fightingThis game was an absolute blast to play. While there are a few instances of bugs with clipping, they are a forgivable offense in light of the overall hilarity and replayability of this title. The characters' rage powers are different and interesting, which helps add to the replay value since the experience retains much of its freshness via the different styles you approach the fighting with each of the four characters. The variety of zombies is fun, although sometimes a bit far fetched in concept, they are still fun to dismember, decapitate, and otherwise decimate. If you are a fan of the genre, and want to savor the macabre mayhem a bit more than is allowed by the Left 4 Dead series, then this is the game for you. Expand
  77. Nov 22, 2012
    A First Person Openworld Zombie game with RPG elements seemed like the holy grail for me as soon as i heard about Dead Island. Sadly, for ME Dead Island just didn't deliver the hype. While the graphics looked good to say at least, in a game like this, storytelling and character development means much for me but i just couldn't care for the story or characters, cause this all felt flat.A First Person Openworld Zombie game with RPG elements seemed like the holy grail for me as soon as i heard about Dead Island. Sadly, for ME Dead Island just didn't deliver the hype. While the graphics looked good to say at least, in a game like this, storytelling and character development means much for me but i just couldn't care for the story or characters, cause this all felt flat. Then you have gameplay, which usually makes up other flaws. Again, this unfortunately didn't deliver it for me either. While the gameplay and combat was fun for 30 minutes, it just felt too clumsy and kind of sluggish to keep me entertained long enough. Don't let this review keep you away from the game though, cause just because it's a flawed game doesn't mean that nobody will enjoy it. If you love zombie and/or hack and slash games with RPG elements and if you're able to look past good story and character development, then Dead Island might be the game for you! Dead Island was for me personally a flawed game that misses a lot of potential and a game that isn't for everyone. Based on how i felt, i would give Dead Island a 6/10. Expand
  78. May 14, 2012
    RPG ZOMBIE KILLING! The only problem i see is that after 5 hours you will need to play with a friend to hold interest. This is because the characters have no back-story and the actual story is stale. However, the game-play is GREAT. The combat is exactly like skyrim's so if you don't like that then don't buy it.
  79. Jun 4, 2012
    This game is great. Had alot of fun with friends and is definately one of my favourite games of 2011. The lack of content would be the only downfall with us finishing the game in a few days. though it can still be played enjoyably after it has been completed therefore 8/10.
  80. Jun 15, 2012
    Let me just start by saying that I am not usually interested in zombie killing games but a friend of mine persuaded me to give it a go as it is a lot more open that others. I was shocked, the scenery and graphics were truly stunning and at times I was terrified. The missions were fun and at times they really did have me on the edge of my seat and they were challenging but not as impossibleLet me just start by saying that I am not usually interested in zombie killing games but a friend of mine persuaded me to give it a go as it is a lot more open that others. I was shocked, the scenery and graphics were truly stunning and at times I was terrified. The missions were fun and at times they really did have me on the edge of my seat and they were challenging but not as impossible are some other people are saying if you do not play co-op. Don't get me wrong, this is by no means an easy game; but I think it is worth it to play alone. The story was also very good and to be honest, I didn't predict nearly any of it. Really enjoyable game, would really recommend it. Expand
  81. Jul 6, 2012
    Not only is the game way too hard, when you get hit enough that you have to walk even a few feet away, often the monster size zombies your facing will completely regenerate- mine not only did that, it turned around and lost both of the $600 knives I had thrown into its chest while trying to kill it. Completely ruined my gaming mood for the day, this game actually makes me feel like notNot only is the game way too hard, when you get hit enough that you have to walk even a few feet away, often the monster size zombies your facing will completely regenerate- mine not only did that, it turned around and lost both of the $600 knives I had thrown into its chest while trying to kill it. Completely ruined my gaming mood for the day, this game actually makes me feel like not playing anymore. When you can go through a chunk of the game and make only a tiny bit of money only to lose it immediately, you really just want to chuck the controller at the TV, the xbox out the window and the game through the window of the company that made it. Want pointers? - Fix the driving mechanics
    - Don't make almost every hit from a zombie a knock-back hit
    - If you can't stop the zombies from regenerating while you're 10 feet away grabbing an energy drink, make it so that the thrown weapons always drop and remain for a while so that the player doesn't lose even more weapons
    - Armor of some kind would be nice, particularly if the zombies can beat the crap out of you in a single hit, and that's just the regulars
    - While it is very nice that you can pick your weapon lineup, after you run out (chucking them at big guys) you really start to wish that the rest in your inventory would cycle out for you There are more but I have other things to do and I just can't be any more frustrated with this game right now.
  82. Dec 20, 2012
    This game is poorly judged- it is a great game with some small flaws. Imagine Left 4 Dead mixed with Far Cry. This game is a huge open world filled with zombies (including a good range of types), with a large array of weapons and items, as well as a way to upgrade and construct weapons using items you find along the way.

Starting Out: The reason most people did not give Dead Island a

Starting Out: The reason most people did not give Dead Island a fair chance is that is starts plain- you get no real game introduction where the developers hold your hand while teaching you controls and mechanics. Instead, you wake up in a zombie apocalypse and are told what each button does (such as kicking), but not the significance of said button (what good does kicking do for me?). This can be frustrating at first, but as you get the hang of everything you learn that this is an enjoyable part of the game. After gaining experience and leveling up, and gaining weapons I chose myself, I became an experience survivor. I knew that kicking a zombie is a great way to buy a couple of seconds, or that sometimes you are better off running for your freaking life. You *learn* these things. It makes the survival aspect seem completely legitimate. Also, the world does not quite open up and get really cool until level 15 or so (it comes faster than you know it, so give it a fair shot).

Good: This game has amazing graphics and outstanding gameplay. It does a great job of making melee weapons precise zed-bashing/slicing instruments, allowing you to target heads, arms, etc. fluidly. The missions provide exciting environments and enemy interactions, and the world is beautifully constructed.

Bad: The game really has a poor narrative. I found myself bored by the characters and missions (they tend to be "we need their help so you have to risk your life a million times over and make these people safe without risking them in order to get their minor assistance") and was immediately skipping cutscenes and dialog. The quest log for me was not a story guide, but an adventure guide. It was telling me "here is where the excitement is, this is your reward."

All in all, I think this a great game to play with your buddies and go zombie-killing, and just have some laughs. It can be difficult, but there are never moments where you get furious at the game or a poor teammate. The game is just fun and definitely worth the buy.
  83. Aug 21, 2012
    I loved playing dead island, it got me playing non-stop for hours on end, being able to smash those zombies into pieces with my weapon was really damn fun, the character animation (cinematics) weren't too bad, and neither was the voice acting, but they weren't exactly top notch. I liked the character interface and the fact that I could choose what weapons I could use and what skills toI loved playing dead island, it got me playing non-stop for hours on end, being able to smash those zombies into pieces with my weapon was really damn fun, the character animation (cinematics) weren't too bad, and neither was the voice acting, but they weren't exactly top notch. I liked the character interface and the fact that I could choose what weapons I could use and what skills to use, its a great game to play with friends and on your own too. Overall, I really liked it and would recommend it. Expand
  84. Aug 14, 2012
    Dead Island is not a game for everyone. Some may be turned off by the constant texture pop in, spikes in difficulty, and ugly cut-scenes. However, if you ignore these and find yourself immersed into the enormous landscape and brutal combat, you might find a very fun game to be had. Killing zombies feels very satisfying, and the brutality of it all adds more flavor to it. Upgrading weaponsDead Island is not a game for everyone. Some may be turned off by the constant texture pop in, spikes in difficulty, and ugly cut-scenes. However, if you ignore these and find yourself immersed into the enormous landscape and brutal combat, you might find a very fun game to be had. Killing zombies feels very satisfying, and the brutality of it all adds more flavor to it. Upgrading weapons is also a nice touch because it gives players a chance to experiment and try new things. There's also a lot to discover on the island, and the skill tree adds more to the overall package. Expand
  85. Jan 16, 2013
    In the 7 years this game was begin developed, every single idea in this game was done and done better. This is the mutant offspring of Borderlands, Dead Rising, and Left for Dead. The game is a mess. If you want to shoot things with crazy weapons get Borderlands. If you want to kill zombies with crazy weapons get Dead Rising. If you want to just kill zombies get COD for all I care justIn the 7 years this game was begin developed, every single idea in this game was done and done better. This is the mutant offspring of Borderlands, Dead Rising, and Left for Dead. The game is a mess. If you want to shoot things with crazy weapons get Borderlands. If you want to kill zombies with crazy weapons get Dead Rising. If you want to just kill zombies get COD for all I care just avoid this game like the zombie plague.

On a side note, I ignored the story through the entire game and was still left unsatisfied with the ending. The story is bad, the gameplay is awful, and the game is one of the few titles I've actually sold back to Game Stop in the past 5 years.
  86. Nov 24, 2012
    This is a very fun game! The combat is a pulse-raiser, zombies look amazing, looting is nice, and the atmosphere is great! The only downsides are the story and the textures. The story is very predictable and silly and the textures are pretty bad for a 2011 game. However, the fun factor is great and the replayability is great until somewhere around 60 hours. This game is very fun to playThis is a very fun game! The combat is a pulse-raiser, zombies look amazing, looting is nice, and the atmosphere is great! The only downsides are the story and the textures. The story is very predictable and silly and the textures are pretty bad for a 2011 game. However, the fun factor is great and the replayability is great until somewhere around 60 hours. This game is very fun to play with friends. This is a recommendation for zombie and survival-horror lovers. Expand
  87. Sep 26, 2012
    The best way to describe Dead Island would be as the most "realistic" experience of a Role Playing Game from a first player perspective (kind of like Borderlands, but still a world apart) while being set in a post-apocalyptic, zombie outbreak environment. There are four characters to select from, which kind of feels like classes, and a lot of unique objects that you can find and upgrade.The best way to describe Dead Island would be as the most "realistic" experience of a Role Playing Game from a first player perspective (kind of like Borderlands, but still a world apart) while being set in a post-apocalyptic, zombie outbreak environment. There are four characters to select from, which kind of feels like classes, and a lot of unique objects that you can find and upgrade.

You can find yourself just wandering around the cities and hordes of undead, may it be to complete quests, or just in hopes to find that epic weapon you've always wanted, or maybe you just want to find a material to build it yourself. Or, you are killing bandits to find those dreaded firearm ammunition. Nevertheless, Dead Island is the closest thing you can find to a true zombie survival experience. Despite the fact that there is a main questline, the gameplay isn't especially linear, so you can really get into side quests, or just explore to your own wishes.

Dead Island isn't a game that is revolutionary in its genre, but rather, is a good mix of multiple good ideas blended into a game that, while it isn't polished and perfectionist to the core, will satisfy a lot of zombie apocalypse game enthusiasts. None of the aspects of the gameplay are mind-blasting, but it's just put in a way that everything just works together, and when you play it, even if you see some flaws, you still get over it and have a good time playing.

Dead Island may not be the greatest game ever, but it surely is a very interesting take on the zombie-apocalypse RPG setup and will please a lot of gamers, and has a good longevity that makes it worth the shot to play.
  88. Nov 14, 2012
    Great idea, Great Location, Great zombies but just brought together poorly. The resulting game is a mix of epic gaming moments and poor acting LOL. The characters are the main problem with bad voice acting and stupid bad stories. This a great game if you can look passed the flaws.
  89. Jan 29, 2013
    I see Dead Island as an accomplishment for a studio like Deep Silver. I'm amazed of how large each location is in Dead Island, and the combat is varied and fun. It really feels like a survival horror game meets Borderlands. The gore is a huge plus as well, and the enemies keep surprising me based on newer ones being introduced. I've put in 20 hours so far, and I'm still not done!

My

My only complaints with the game is the voice acting is horrendous. It's laughable to hear what people have to say, and nothing is taken seriously because of it. The main characters are very generic, and the story is like the life of a dog..."Hey! Go fetch this while I stand here and do nothing!" It gets annoying at times, but overall Dead Island is a good game.
  90. Feb 12, 2013
    Good graphics, good combat, beautiful environment to explore. Yet. it really lacks in terms of narrative. As a survival horror it actually works quite well. But it really is a series of hubs, loaded with pointless fetch quests. A real shame that it did not live up to the emotional depth of the trailer. Overall: It is well worth a go simply for the visuals alone. But don't expect too muchGood graphics, good combat, beautiful environment to explore. Yet. it really lacks in terms of narrative. As a survival horror it actually works quite well. But it really is a series of hubs, loaded with pointless fetch quests. A real shame that it did not live up to the emotional depth of the trailer. Overall: It is well worth a go simply for the visuals alone. But don't expect too much in terms of depth and meaning in this game. Just another mindless action horror that just does not live up to its potential. Expand
  91. Dec 25, 2012
    It could have been better, the characters seen dead in their facial expressions and are real weird when moving sometimes, and forget about that "Hell in Paradise" thing, the Resort is just the first scenario and the others are just too boring and don't live to the promise of fighting zombies in an Tropical Heaven, but it's a great and addicting game in the end, I even got 100+ in-game hours in it
  92. May 2, 2014
    It's a shame this wasn't a Rockstar or Bethesda game or the like. It would've gotten better reviews. Personally, I didn't experience any bugs playing it. I bought it after the first price drop. Games like Skyrim (which I love as well) get a 9.5 and game of the year but are UNPLAYABLE on certain systems for the first year or two. I found this game to be quite enjoyable. It didn'tIt's a shame this wasn't a Rockstar or Bethesda game or the like. It would've gotten better reviews. Personally, I didn't experience any bugs playing it. I bought it after the first price drop. Games like Skyrim (which I love as well) get a 9.5 and game of the year but are UNPLAYABLE on certain systems for the first year or two. I found this game to be quite enjoyable. It didn't reinvent the wheel, but for an open world, melee-based first person zombie slasher with RPG and loot elements it is 1st in it's class. I found the gameplay systems and quest set-up similar to Borderlands. You "honest and fair" reviewers out there make me wanna sew your Mom's gaping hole shut for birthing you, assuming there's enough yarn. Expand
  93. Feb 16, 2013
    Fun game, but the gameplay can get a little repetitive. Playing w/friends is when the game is at it's best and the plethora of melee weapons/upgrades are pretty neat. Don't waste too much time w/guns though, they are really only needed when fighting other people. DLC is also pretty fun, but like the game, it can get a little old after a while.
  94. Apr 24, 2013
    this game where do i begin. i am a huge fan of this game ive played it for a total of 50 hours and still trying to unlock everything and max my level. this is one of the funnest zombie games ive ever played. the graphics, gameplay, openworld, etc are all awesome and beautifully designed. the gunplay is a bit unbalanced as some guns look stronger than they really are and the human enemiesthis game where do i begin. i am a huge fan of this game ive played it for a total of 50 hours and still trying to unlock everything and max my level. this is one of the funnest zombie games ive ever played. the graphics, gameplay, openworld, etc are all awesome and beautifully designed. the gunplay is a bit unbalanced as some guns look stronger than they really are and the human enemies are few and not really smart, but these are minor complaints of a game that is truly unique and fun as hell. if you like zombie games, openworld rpgs, skyrim, you definitely need to play this! Expand
  95. Mar 7, 2013
    "Dead Island" was something I really wasn't expecting. It's a little rough around the edges, but it pulls enough punches to be a really freaking good game.

PROS: Good story. Nice variety of weapons to use. LOVE the customization options for the weapons. The graphics are great to look at. Great exploration factor. Game rewards you for completing tough challenges. CONS: Game is a

CONS: Game is a little light on character development for everyone but the main quartet. Some of the special zombies feel like they were ripped straight out of Left 4 Dead. Puzzles can be infuriating at times, especially in tight spaces. Banoi is a little too big, it could've used a downsizing.

OVERALL: "Dead Island" is a fun, fast-paced zombie RPG that will have you on the edge of your seat. It may be rough in some spots, but the good sides are enough to make up for it.
  96. Mar 21, 2016
    I had high hopes for this games as the idea of a sandbox type zombie brawler game sounded interesting. However, after finally having played it I have to say that I was very disappointed by how lazy this game feels in its execution. Now, there is fun to be had (I was mildly amused the first 4-5 hours) but as the game continued all its flaws started to stick out more and more.

The story

The story is less than bare bones with characters so uninteresting they might as well just be text messages telling you where to go next, and when the game seems so disinterested in telling a coherent story and about everything that happens and everyone you meet, then why should I care at all?
    It just feels lazy.

Secondly, we have the combat, which stays basically exactly the same from start to finish in terms of moves. The only real variation in combat is in the crafted weaponry, and that frankly gets old faster than a mayfly. Add to that the lack of feel of reach and impact and you’ve got a very underwhelming combat system – no matter how many limbs you can cut off (if you can get around the rather awkward hit detection).
    And speaking of impact… the most effective weapon I found in the game, was my foot. As there is no blocking system in the game, you use your foot to make zombies and infected stumble, and it seems more than a bit strange that a kick to the head (with a rather pathetic animation) is more likely to make zombies stumble and break their attacks than a sledgehammer, paddle, or machete to the face.
    The combat system just feels lazy.

Then there is the mission structure, and oh my God where to start with that. You are basically just doing various fetch quests for random people that don't really seem to have any real consequences. Add to that the thing we all love – escort missions with all the annoyances that entails due to bad AI – and you pretty much got most of the game. However, where things get really bad, is how often the very same locations are used. Like in the slums where I got several missions all in the police station and some of them in the very same room!
    That’s amazingly lazy.

And speaking of that, some of the missions seem to involve children, but apparently Techland couldn’t be bothered to make child models so the “children” are now a woman in a bikini asking for her teddy bear (making her sound as if she’s nuts), and a daughter who apparently is older than her father.
    Incredibly lazy.

Then there’s the GPS which is supposed to show you where to go. If this was a real GPS, people would die of starvation before reaching their destination. On several occasions I found myself facing my destination only to have the GPS pointing away from it. At one point I decided to follow it, and it decided to take me around two buildings only to have me end up in the very same spot I left before it realized that my destination was right in front of me.
    Now that is lazy.

Then there’s the crafting. What is the most important resource when crafting weapons? Is it nails? Duct tape? Glue? Tools? Sure, you need those, but the answer is - nope! It’s money! Yes, you apparently have to pay to use a workshop… No, you are not paying someone to use it, you are using money when crafting! How the hell this even begins to work is beyond my comprehension. Am I lining my weapons with money? Are the workbenches sentient beings? WHAT?
    Unbelievably lazy!

Lastly, there are the glitches (of which there are quite a few) and the fact that enemies re-spawn in the exact same places and in the exact same number every single time you return to an area.
    How lazy are you, Techland?

So to sum up – Dead Island is a game that barely has a story, no characters of interest, a flimsy and superficial combat system, uninteresting weapons, a senseless crafting system, weak mission structure, and ultimately repetitive and boring gameplay that outstays its welcome long before its underwhelming conclusion.
    I could have been more forgiving if Techland had realized the limitations of the game mechanics and made the game smaller and more focused – as well as actually picking a mood – rather than turning it into a lazy, repetitive, boring grind-fest.
  97. May 10, 2013
    As a zombie game, this one is just so much fun and amazing. The background sound is just so creepy and man I love it. I won't say the game is hard, but you will die a lot, which is a good thing IMO. Oh, the island looks like a real paradise. The combat is solid and full of bloody violence. Although I like this game quite a lot, I just canNOT give this game a higher score. As a RPG game,As a zombie game, this one is just so much fun and amazing. The background sound is just so creepy and man I love it. I won't say the game is hard, but you will die a lot, which is a good thing IMO. Oh, the island looks like a real paradise. The combat is solid and full of bloody violence. Although I like this game quite a lot, I just canNOT give this game a higher score. As a RPG game, it is a total failure. Most of the quests are ridiculous and pointless, all the characters have no depth, the story is crap and the ending is lame. Expand
  98. Jun 9, 2013
    Textures were reused so many times it was sad. alot of the plot was silly. "i know a shortcut to the laboratory!"....why are you running we have a car like 5 meters to the left of us. if you play properly its virtually impossible to die and equipment is level based. that's pretty dumb, like anyone has a home-made knife. after about 2 hours of the game it gets pretty stupid with the plot,Textures were reused so many times it was sad. alot of the plot was silly. "i know a shortcut to the laboratory!"....why are you running we have a car like 5 meters to the left of us. if you play properly its virtually impossible to die and equipment is level based. that's pretty dumb, like anyone has a home-made knife. after about 2 hours of the game it gets pretty stupid with the plot, far to easy in combat, and the shotgun isnt even that good. 0.3 meters directly into the head or cheats and it does pistol/rifle dmg. i mean come on...bullets don't even pierce. "shoot it!" "i cant its behind very hollow wood!" Expand
  99. Apr 16, 2013
    I enjoyed this game, first and foremost. It's an original spin on the zombie outbrake. The combat system in this is very different, and can put a lot of people off. The most fun in this game is playing it with people, that's when I think the best comes out of this game. Average in parts but overall I enjoyed it!
  100. Apr 27, 2013
    This game has a good combat system, a decent story, tons of side missions and more! What else could you ask for?! The only thing from preventing this game from getting a perfect score was the graphics. The graphics are not bad, but not great.

1. Mar 1, 2012
    Dead Island is a hell of a ride from start to (near) finish and is a zombie game that stands out from the rest of the pack.
  2. Xbox World 360 Magazine UK
    Dec 2, 2011
    A wasted opportunity - frustrating to play and too ugly to love. [Dec 2011, p.98]
  3. Nov 23, 2011
    I admit that I was not expecting much from Dead Island, given the oversaturated subject matter and the delayed development time. And while the game definitely has its share of weaknesses, it is pleasantly surprising in its own right.