6.3

1. Feb 5, 2013
    So what its not as focused as the "survival horror" as the others it still and incredible game with a great story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. the boss battle thingys can be annoying but its still easily up there as one of the best games to start 2013 so, if you like dead space or third person shooters pick it up!!!
  2. Feb 5, 2013
    For better or for worse, this is Dead Space. Less scary.....yes. But just as intense as DS2. They have packed this game with more epic moment that the first two iterations had as well. The availability of microtransactions is a little bit of a let down. But you do NOT have to purchase them. They are optional and can be earned through natural progression. IMHO, this is not the best Dead Space game. But it stands proud as a worthy entry into the Dead Space universe. I would compare it to the difference between Killzone 2 and 3. 3 was a really good game and technically superior. But 2 had that little extra magic and lore. At the same time, both earned there place on my book shelf and in my system for different reason. Bottom line, if you loved DS1 and DS2, you won't be disappointed in 3. Expand
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    Does a video game need to have horror to be good? The answer is no, but people will argue "It's not horror anymore so it sucks!" too which I will disagree. Just because it changed from pure horror to a mix of action and horror doesn't mean it's bad. I bought the game and retrieved it on release day with my friend so we could play it online, and while we have not yet beaten the game, we enjoy the gameplay thoroughly. The customization of weapons is quite fun, along with the need for resources and overwhelming number of necromorphs to keep you on your toes, as well as keep your eye on your ammo counter. The fear doesn't come from unkillable enemies or freaky enemies, but rather from the fact you might die soon and have to start over from that checkpoint. Does it have jumpscares? Yes there are some, but are they needed in mass amount like in DS1 to make it scary? No, the waves of enemies do that for you. Is co-op a necessity? Kind of, and thats why I don't consider it a perfect game because it has a necessity for you to FULLY enjoy the game. With that in mind, you definitely need a friend to team up with. The graphics are great still, and there is an atmosphere just like DS 1 and 2, with the blood and writing on the walls, the side missions that give you a story for places, and rewards you for exploring it, as well as the environment being torn and battered from the damage done. Overall I consider the game to be a new experience, and if you just want horror, go play Dead Space or Amnesia, because by now you shouldn't be scared because you KNOW these enemies, and you KNOW how to kill them, so without mystery the horror could not be repeated, and was instead set to a side with some action and gunplay that makes the game enjoyable and fun for 2 people to get together and in the words of the box art "Take down the Terror Together". Expand
  4. Feb 5, 2013
    A tip to everyone, DO NOT LISTEN TO NEGATIVE USER REVIEWS, people often don't understand the meaning of 10 or 0, so just don't listen. Now to the review, in short, Dead Space 3 is the classic Dead Space you've come to know and love through and through. The story is still excellent, the visuals this time around are impressive, and the gameplay is still as grossly satisfying as ever. The new weapon system provides excellent variety, and the co-op mode is not intrusive. Co-op, in fact, adds to the story line making Dead Space 3 a much more worth while experience. The only problems I had were a few backtracking moments. The game is scary, a little less than previous installments, but is still satisfying. If you are a classic DS fan you will love this, if you are new to the franchise, you will love this game. Worth all the money, and if the game doesn't seem scary enough, play hardcore, you only get 3 saves for the entire game and if you die you go back to your last save. It is extremely intense. Expand
  5. Feb 5, 2013
    I don't understand all the hate that is coming from people about this game. Is it more action? Yes. Does it have the same atmosphere as the original games? More so with Dead Space 2. The first game was amazing, I don't disagree, but people had reservations about Dead Space 2 before it came out. A common comment I would see is, "Oh why has Isaac turned into Iron Man". But when that came out everyone had got past the little things and embraced it. Here in lies the issue that most are having with Dead Space 3. Co-op.... Now don't get me wrong, Dead Space has always been a single player game(with the exception of extraction) but there is always potential to improve an I.P. in many ways and the developers felt that co-op would add to this. What they could have done is make two Isaac's or a throwaway character. Or even more terrifying they could have added an A.I. partner all the way through. But what they did was innovative and had it been a different I.P. I'm sure Visceral would be lauded for it. As it stands this game didn't reinvent the wheel, but it did try to innovate it, and in that respect I feel that this game is great. It improves weapon crafting while also adding a slew of altered enemies to fight in the process. Not only that but it also increases playtime with optional missions to undertake. Expand
  6. Feb 5, 2013
    You're gonna see a lot of negative reviews for this game since some people hate EA so much, but this game does not deserve it, so far I'm up to chapter 4, and having so much fun, great story and the gameplay is very addictive. Dead Space 2 got a 90 overall from the critics, so far Dead Space 3 has a 79. that makes no sense, this game is equal to or better than it's predecessor. Seems that the critics from overseas are giving this game lower scores. Expand
  7. Feb 5, 2013
    this game is great albeit the horror is toned and critics are bashing it but that is expected when they listen to the casual gamers instead of the hardcore fanbase. i dont know why people are hurt u ddnt have to buy the game but i will cause i love the series since its inception
  8. Feb 5, 2013
    This is not the Dead Space we used to know, but still the same Dead Space that we love
    This time I feel more like watch a horror film rather than playing a game. The research by the dev on horror films surely helped the game in this aspect.
    The crafting system is new, a new way to add more personality in this game.
    The game feel more dynamic and it's really fun.
    One thing is that the
    Necromorphs doesn't seems to get stunned after being attacked. This is a good way to increase difficulty but I'm not sure if it's a good way to do it.
    The enhanced graphic amazed me, especially on the first chapter of the game. It's really a enjoyable game for me, as a hardcore Dead Space series gamer who played every game and most of the comics and novels
    At last, I know that some people may think negative to this game because of the DLC. Just one thing to say, they are not necessary and are addition to an already great gaming experience. I'm pretty sure that you will enjoy what you already have without those DLC suits and weapons.
  9. Feb 5, 2013
    I love this game!! I just started playing but the beginning already has me hooked, game play is solid, graphics are excellent, the story is toying with my emotions in the best way possible making me hate the villan even more. Was disappointed my gamestop didn't have a midnight release, but my anticipation, and expectations were all met with this amazing game and then some! I play black ops 2 but its hard to believe it has a higher rating even though it has became so repetitive, its boring. Not DS3 though this is a game that will have you on the edge of your seat, wondering what will happen next. A excellent addition to your gamer library. The Dead Space series is a must buy!! Expand
  10. Feb 5, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is spectacular to newcomers but I downside to veterans of the series. But, if you are new you will be definitely please with the stunning visuals, awesome sound, excellent game play, co-op and tons of weapon customization and RIG suits. Its absolutely fun to play especially with a friend. All in all I will be playing this game for a while until GTA 5
  11. Feb 8, 2013
    I just want to state the differences between Dead Space 2 and 3, so you can draw your own conclusions. I have only played solo on hard so far. +Graphical improvements +Incredible production value +Replayablity +Upgrade/Crafting system overhaul +Faster, more deadly enemies +Enemy variety +Unintrusive Co-Op +Atmosphere (More like Promethius and 80's thrillers than previous dead space atmosphere)
    +There are a few, though less common chills and scares
    +Environmental variety
    +Side quests
    +It's incredibly fun and addicting

-Less scares
    -Atmosphere (It's not terrifying)
    -Dementia is not present in Isaac's story arch. (I have not played as Carver.)
    -Isaac's character qualities have changed for the worse. He's less interesting and more generic.
    -Intrusive, guiding story. This is only a negative because the story isn't anything special, and doesn't feel anything like previous dead space games.
    -Frustratingly boring quests. (Go fix this, oh it needs another part, oh wait its still broken, did I mention you needed to gather this for the same broken ship?)
    -The fighting vs human enemies is very poor. The mechanics just aren't there.

The game overall feels like it was put together to be a blockbuster, and that is probably why the focus on story was added. Even though there have been changes to the game it is an incredible game, that feels that it should be more of a spin off to the dead space franchise to me, than a core game. It is definitely worth playing once, if not a few times for fans of the previous games.
  12. Feb 5, 2013
    One major positive aspect is the ability to disassemble and re-use weapon parts, meaning you never have to worry about consuming items in the crafting of a gun. It would have been easy for Visceral to inflict a penalty on players every time they built something, but instead you'll only lose resources by making objects from scratch, not from building guns out of components you already own.
    Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/review-dead-space-3-243873.phtml#GHp9wf1kqS5SrvP6.99
  13. Feb 5, 2013
    If you enjoyed the previous Dead Space games, you'll be sure to enjoy Dead Space 3. The most polished, well-paced entry in the excellent sci-fi horror series yet. Bringing a friend along for two-player co-op is a blast. Snow crumbles beneath Isaac’s boots, necromorphs are disgustingly detailed, and the backdrops are stunning. Solid voice acting sells the drama, and the cries of enemies are appropriately unsettling. The new weapon-crafting system and roll dodge make it easy to play the way you want to play. The environments are moody and the gameplay is without a hitch. This is one of the best horror games I’ve ever played. A fantastic game. Expand
  14. Feb 13, 2013
    I thought this would be a disappointment equivalent to Resident Evil 5,6 but I was wrong. Dead Space 3 is a good game.
  15. Feb 7, 2013
    I will start off by saying the first Dead Space is considered one of my top five games of all time. There is some negative reviews from critics but let me say they cannot be far from there mark. Dead Space 3 not only meets my expectations but exceeds them in every way possible. It is even more tense than the second and I will say even scarier. The weapon crafting is so addicting that you will spend hours trying to find the right combination that fits your play style. Want a machine gun with a flame thrower on the end like I got. You can do it. You even get little robots that you put down and they gather resources for you. If you loved the first Dead space buy it now. If you did not love the first Dead Space why are you even here or reviewing this game. I am 29 so the top sentence about my top five games of all time means something. Dead Space 3 is amazing. PERIOD Expand
  16. Feb 8, 2013
    Although playing DS1 and DS2 has slightly de-sensitized me to Necromorphs. This is still an awesome game. The anticipation that something is about to jump out at you is what makes this game so exciting. I’m halfway through the campaign and can’t wait to get home from work to play some more.
  17. Feb 11, 2013
    HUMAN ENEMIES you hear that and you think "OH THIS WILL BE LIKE HOW RESIDENT EVIL EVOLVED INTO No, dead space 3 is a good blend of action and scares in one I didn't take the trolls on metacritic's word and decided I need to try myself and IT'S A GOOD GAME, its multiplayer, suit upgrade, weapon craft and a variety of side missions and coop only side missions will keep you entertained for a quite a while, my only complain is the side mission environment is TOO DAMN REPETITIVE just recycled cells over and over again Expand
  18. Feb 8, 2013
    Gun construction is fun honestly I could spend hours just messing around (I have spent hours) with the weapons.
    Gameplay same as any dead space with the exception of a few more action spots and some explorable spots which are nice breaks from the intensity of the rest of the game and really helps one get a feel for the world they are in.
    Graphics amazing probably best on Xbox
    Co-op
    honestly it;'s fun it takes away a good chunk of the horror factor but I treat co-op and solo as two separate games like multi-player and single player on any other shooter you can't play multi-player on ANY game and expect a single player experience anyone who did was a fool. However Co-op is really well done and the unique concept the creators came up for players to experience (especially if you are playing as the second character) brought me and my friend some true entertainment I don't want to give spoilers but he thought I was going crazy and that has never been done in game before!
    A lot of people bash on it being less of a thriller and more of an action game. Honestly it's no less thrilling the other Dead space I find my heart racing quite a bit (dead space 1+2 weren't more thrilling or scary you all know it just want to complain that they were) Plus this game has so many replay option to play in traditional style dead space or hardcore etc.

All in all they did some unique things never done before in any game ever. Many of the things they did they did better than any game ever. Prime examples, best co-op, best graphics (on xbox) best weapon design/ creation, best mix of linear and sandbox and it still gets my heart pounding just as much as the last two dead space games.
  19. Feb 10, 2013
    Don't listen to what the critics say, this game is one of the most amazing experiences I've played in over a year. The story is great, and while it isn't as much as a horror Juggernaut like the first game was, it defensibly has a great amount of action to replace it. The developers have said that this is exactly where they wanted to go, and it's a great direction to take. The story is greatly unique, and game-play is smooth and intuitive. It remains to have that movie like, minimalism style HUD, where all of your information can be found on your suits RIG. The story is very lengthy, taking me 3 nights, for a total of at least 19 hours to beat the game on the hardest difficulty (prior to new game+) and I am currently about 5 hours into the Hardcore mode. The beginning of the game gives you a nice, brief summary of the events of the 1st and 2nd games, so newcomers will find it easy to pick up, and automatically know what's going on in this universe. Overall, i give it a 10/10. Expand
  20. Feb 8, 2013
    I honestly get a bit tired of reviews that focus on the game not being just like the two that came before, or that it's just another sign of what is wrong with games these days... don't listen to it.

Dead Space 3 does a few things differently. Upgrading your rig and weapons uses scavenged parts and new workbench and weapon options. I am not so fond of the interfaces, but the concept
    works. The Suit Kiosk is fairly similar. You use special scavenger bots to accent your resources, which creates its own issues, like searching for appropriate places to let loose your bot.

The game is FAR more expansive than previous games, and has more side quests to keep it interesting. You hear about the much maligned snowy portions, but they only occur hours into the game and the setting is in context and fitting. It's not as claustrophobic in these sections, but the tension is high when you know they can and will be popping out of the ground at just about any time to ruin your day. It is different, but it works. The cold gives new parameters to be considered and the snow fall helps to reduce view distance, essentially acting like the dark, but a whiteout instead.

The story opens up Issac's suit to his face, his voice, and let's you get to know him. He's not a whiny b$%#% nor is he a over the top toughguy, which makes him more endearing. He's got severe issues, but he isn't making it everyone else's problem all the time. His major motivation is still helping his girl and dealing with immediate issues. I really liked getting to meet Isaac. He is played well and gives the game more life.

The weapons are so varied as to be difficult to get a grip on. I didn't like the weapon build system. You may think a weapon looks and stats out well before you build it, only to find out it's kind of crap after you spent your hard earned resources on it. I found one or two weapons that did all the work, but I liked them and was satisfied even though I wondered what I might be missing. My favorite uses a single shot rifle type projectile with an underslung shotgun.

There are two discs and the content is extensive. The new additions work nicely, like the two person co-op, either with friends or online matchmaking. There is a newgame+ feature, although I have not started into that yet. This is a great game that aspires to expand itself from it's earlier incarnations. If you don't expect it to be just like the last two games, then you will probably enjoy it. If you want the first or second game again, you'll probably have to load them up and play them over.
  21. Feb 9, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a landmark in modern gaming. With the series having been branded by several big names the 'best new IP this generation', Dead Space 3 has a lot to prove to close of the series fittingly. Picking up 2 months after Dead Space 2 Isaac is in hiding, however when he is contacted by Robert Norton and John Carver of EarthGov Isaac is quickly whisked away from another Necromorph outbreak to search for his ex-girlfreind Ellie Langford. Upon finding her they also discover a way to destroy the markers and end Convergence once and for all on the frozen planet Tau Volantis. However the race is on as the Church of Unitology has also found this information and plan to stop Isaac and the team from achieving their goal.
    Dead Space 3 makes some pretty big mistakes in its new weapon crafting, currency and combat mechanics however these in shadow of the amazing story, mind blowing presentation and some of the best closure to a series I have seen in years makes Dead Space 3 an unmissable game.
  22. Feb 7, 2013
    Dead Space 3 have a really great atmosphere that fill you with emotions and sensations that not a lot of game can accomplish. The sensation of terror is always present around you and you never know when you are going to get attack. The level design is very well design and beautiful, i keep getting myself lost to look around :P. Also, the storyline go through very exciting stuff and there is also some twists that you don't expect. Overall a great game and a must buy! (before you play Dead space 2 Expand
  23. Feb 7, 2013
    A lot of people are and thinking ''the horror is gone, and it sucks.'' That is NOT true!
    It takes balls to focus on the action and less on the survival horror, and i respect that.
    First off, graphics are amazing! Really dark and gritty. It is true though, that the horror has gone lost somewhere. But it doesn't bring the game down. It's way too impressive. The story may be a bit forced,
    i get that. But it's all about the gameplay and the visuals. The visuals are stunning by the way. It's a great sequel to the dead space franchise, and i can't wait to see what they have on their sleeves next time. Expand
  24. Feb 11, 2013
    I am a die-hard Dead Space fan. I didn't expect this game to "scare" or "make me jump", that's the experience I enjoyed from the first and second game. Dead Space 3 is a perfect addition to the series, an expansive experience built on the atmosphere and story created by the original two games. All these new "features" that people are complaining about are mostly optional, so as not to deter from solo play, and they were a welcoming change of pace. It's the third game in the series and I found myself taking my sweet time progressing through the story, finding every little hidden item etc., tinkering at the workbench till I felt my weapon was suffiecient for killing even the toughest necromorphs. If you're a fan of Dead Space and it's awesome story, you'll love Dead Space 3. Expand
  25. Feb 16, 2013
    6.1 really... 78 critic review score really... sometimes people baffle me, if you were a fan of dead space 1 or dead space 2 you should feel right at home here, i say "should" because before the game released there was people moaning about co-op, your on an ice planet there's know more dark hallways this isn't dead space.... first off the co-op is optional, so if you don't want to do co-op then don't pick it, the second thing is 70% of the game your still in dark hallways so it has the same DS feel, it's still creepy, there's still scares people need to relax... is it a little more action focused then DS 1 2 yea, does that change that this is still an awesome entry into the series... NO... the only downside for me personally is this game has a lot of backtracking but that's nothing new for people that played DS1 (quick tip if u beat the game sit through the credits cause there's something not to be missed at the end) Dead space 3 starts 2013 in an awesome way. Expand
  26. Feb 11, 2013
    While the focus seems to have been shifted from "Survival Horror" to an "Action Horror", Dead Space 3 still deserves a spot in your gaming library. With superb combat, great AI and enemy design and and overall gorgeous looking game. Dead Space 3 is a great game, whilst the story may fault at times it doesn't ruin the game enough to tell people not to buy it.
  27. Feb 23, 2013
    don't listen to the fanboys, Dead Space 3 is good game.
  28. Feb 9, 2013
    This franchise is among my favorite in the entire industry. This first game was one of the scariest thing I've ever experienced and the second one was a great game but I did find my self scared a jump scare or two got me but that was it. This game had quite a lot of attempts at scare but, much like the second, not many got pass. The overall mood of the game is mildly tense in a scary way but there is a large amount tension in not knowing what is going to happen next. The mood of the game best shows through during solo play, save co-op for your second play through. Overall, much like the second game, it does less than stellar in the horror genre, unless you are easily gotten by jump scares. On the earlier mention not of co-op, it works great when you have no one in your game then there is no AI to follow you around leavening the feel of the game intact, rather than making you fell like a babysitter for your AI partner. The combat is as great as ever and the weapon crafting system is easy and one of the most fun this about the game can be making new weapons. If you like the old weapons than have no fear they all make a return. There is even a mode unlocked upon beating the game that is unlocked where you can only use those guns. Speaking of other modes there are 4 in total, not including new game that add in things that make the game more interesting, like hardcore where you have to play the game without dying once or pure survival where you must craft med-kits and ammo as you find none through. This helps to boost replay value even higher which is amassing considering that this games cut-scenes are short and none feel unneeded. The pacing of the story is great if you like to explore your game worlds, if not it might be a little slow, the last two chapters, out of the nineteen in the game, felt a little rush as the story accelerated towards the finale. Exploring is rewarded in this game with not only achievements but in game rewards every time you complete a set, which range from text log to weapon parts and even artifacts.

So to summarize if your looking solely for a horror game then look elsewhere but that is not to say the game is not great. The combat and mechanics are great and work flawlessly. The atmosphere is mildly tense and will keep you guessing on what will happen next. the graphics and sound design are beyond stellar. Replay value is high.
  29. Feb 10, 2013
    Dead space 3 was a good game, best as far as gameplay for the series, but without as many opportunities for instant death, the horror aspect has declined, is it a bad game? No, it's really fun as they have don't almost the opposite of mass effect by going from a 3rd person shooter and have added more rpg-like aspects to the game like crafting. I'd say it's worth the money if only for the extra game modes, and fun gameplay, but if you're looking for a horror game, stick to amnesia. Expand
  30. Feb 13, 2013
    Best Dead Space to date!! Sure its not the survival horror that i have know to love.. BUT the CRAFTING and the Torque bars to unlock certain doors, the Co-Op, the ability to replay levels to 100% everything, the extra new game modes as well!! Wish it would be scarier but overall im 100% happy with the Game its self.. The Micro Transactions are Pathetic.. But that is EA for ya... Milking their customers.. But overall i love it!! Expand
  31. Feb 18, 2013
    Dead Space 3 was innovative, fun, and offered a slightly different experience to it's predecessors. While definitely a more action based installment, the horror element is certainly there and well done. I found myself at times dreading the next room or jumping at the next enemy surprising me, wile not as fearful as the first, it did have the action part more well done than it's predecessors.

The action portion was great, being able to customize a huge number of elements on my weapons from upgrades, to barrel combinations, I was never short of a fun, new way to massacre necros. In addition, moments of empowerment are quite exciting, being able to use your (assuming you're accurate) solid aim and superior intellect to crush groups of enemies.

While I wish it was more horror (like the first installment) I think in and of itself DS3 was very well made, and very fun. I personally think that reviewing this game in strong comparison with the first is foolhardy, as it is *meant* to not be as much horror and much more action.

Although I rate this game a 9, I am going to give it a 10 to offset the ridiculous fools here that leave crappy *opinion only* based reviews and are upset because *their* personal desires are not met (I also see many of them seem to be "hipster gamers," apparently it is just plain cool to hate on big game companies).

I highly recommend this game for anyone looking for some good scares, and lots of gruesome, gory, and exciting killing.
  32. Feb 14, 2013
    Being a big fan of the first two games, i have to say i still love this one too. I have been mostly playing in Co-op with a friend and while it takes a lot of the scares away, it's a very very fun experience. The new crafting system is great and addictive. The gameplay is indeed more action based, but even then it really still feels like a dead space game. Or at least the atmosphere. Audiovisually it's again really impressive. I like this new approach to DS series. And if i want the survival horror experience, i can just play the previous two games. But the co-op is just tons of fun. Me and my friend are already looking forward to a second playthrough. Expand
  33. Feb 15, 2013
    I think the scores are too low. I'm a picky, hardcore gamer like many of you, and I believe they improved the game. Sure, they didn't give us the goose bump feeling from the first game, but that's hardly because the game is worst we just now what to expect. So instead, they gave us more action to compensate and the co-op is a bonus. It's fun and worth buying.
  34. Feb 10, 2013
    The game was great! If i had to rank the games i would say dead space 2 is the best, followed by 3 and then finally the original. While others have complained the game has gone full action it hasn't, the scares are still there but occasionally there are sections where you feel like its a shooter. In my personal opinion i like it when developers innovate as i think games that don't change at all aside from story get boring. The crafting is amazing makes the combat more varied, and i liked the addition of the side missions, you didn't have to do them and they filled in the back story a little. My only complaint would be pacing there were times when i felt the game was dragging but other than that it was fantastic. Hopefully there will be another dead space. Expand
  35. Feb 21, 2013
    Loved Dead Space 1 and 2 and I loved 3. Yes, it's not as well paced or atmospheric as the first two games but it is still a great game! The campaign length is amazing. How people complain its too long are crazy! Go back to you 5 hour campaigns then.. Recommended!
  36. Feb 12, 2013
    If you've played Dead Space one and two dont come into Dead Space 3 expecting it to be more of the same. This time its longer, less linear, and as a player you have a lot more freedom. People are knocking this game because its not very scary, well thats not entirely true. The first half of the game your aboard a space ship like the first two games, necromorphs come out of crates, floors and vents with a disturbing vibe walking down corridors is as scary as its ever been. When you hit Tau Volantis your more on your seat than ever before, your racing to kill necromorphs while monitierng your body temp. Now you pick up parts and blueprints to craft your very own weapons, you can make one from scratch or simply modify guns you already own, and if your not into that pick up the right parts and you can simply craft a preset weapon. The game is at least three or four times as long as DS2, its around 15-20 hours long, and now there are side missions that are both lengthy and a nice distraction from the main story. It may not be the case with everybody but to me i thought most of the first half of the game wuz a bit slow and a little uniteresting, you may disagree and there were a few parts in the first half that kept you on your seat(one in particular), overall most of the critisism this game is getting it doesnt deserve if your a Dead Space fan and your unsure if you should pick it up, Buy it its still survival horror and not action oriented and your gonna love it. Expand
  37. Feb 13, 2013
    Dont listen to all the negative crap about this game, Iv been a fan since Dead Space 1 and have loved every minute of every game. This third game is no different. Awesome from beginning to end. The addition of weapon crafting in this one is probably one of the best things they could have done. So much fun!! This game is well worth picking up.
  38. Feb 16, 2013
    Great game. Better than the 7/10 some people are giving it.
    Found this to be a great addition to my co-op games which is my preference with great graphics and exceptional sound. Die hard fans probably wont like the co-op as it definitely takes the scare out of the game but for a shooter excellent. Found the making up guns fun and always having to go back to a bench and changing my new gun
    after finding my new colossus to be a squib. Give it a try as its miles ahead of Aliens colonial marines which is dire. Expand
  39. Feb 12, 2013
    This is not the best Dead Space game, but that's not to say it's a bad game, it's still a great game and a worthy entry in the Dead space series. Dead Space 3 has introduced human villains with guns and that's a major point of contempt for some people, though it should be pointed out that their presence in the game is kept to a minimum, this is still a classic Dead Space game where Isaac Clarke must survive against the necromorphs and it's still a very familiar Dead Space game in that regard. Another point of contempt for others is that the game has traded its horror elements for an action focus, in that sense the game isn't as horror focused as Dead Space 1, but like Dead Space 2 the story ads a great deal to the experience. Also, not a terrifying horror game but it's still a horror game, and a thrilling one at that; I'm aware people out there really want to tell others how they wear their big boy pants and weren't the least bit shaken by any of the Dead Space games, I myself make sure I get the most out of them, I play alone, at night, in the dark, with stereo headphones with the sound cranked, no XBL party chat, no playing with friends watching, no company period, no distractions like music playing in background or watching Netflix on my laptop, no turning down the volume when things get tense... doing all that, this game is scary, not as scary as the first but scary enough to make me jump when I get surprised, and remains a very thrilling game throughout. Though one point worth bringing up is this game doesn't introduce you to Unitology like Dead Space 2 did at the Titan Station, it gives you a quick introduction to the story so far and takes things from there, it doesn't do much through the game of painting a picture of what Unitology is and what role it plays in the universe, I personally didn't mind since I played Dead Space 1, Extraction, 2, and was familiar to the universe when I began Dead Space 3; it should be noted that it's not a great idea for someone who hasn't touched a Dead Space game to try getting into this third game without having played Dead Space and Dead Space 2. Many are aware this game does take place on a planet, but they didn't avoid the space in Dead Space, a good portion (maybe 1/3 or more) of the game takes place in orbit above the planet,, the protagonists are marooned and must salvage a working ship in order to descend to the planet, in this time you get to spend a great deal in space salvaging parts, moving around to other destroyed ships to salvage a working spacecraft, it's very cool in this regard. People are also iffy about the presence of weapon crafting, I was even skeptical at first and didn't want to stray away from familiar weapons, then after some experimentation with crafting new weapons I finally made some really cool weapons unique from other Dead Space games, it felt very rewarding to do so. As far as difficulty goes normal difficulty feels like normal difficulty at first, but as you craft more efficient killing weapons the game does start to get easy, but still enjoyable, fans wanting a more traditional survival horror experience should play on harder settings for more scarcity of ammo and medical items and deadlier enemies. If you enjoyed the previous Dead Space games, don't pass this one up, if you haven't played a Dead Space game yet, don't start with this one, get the others and work your way to the third game. Expand
  40. Feb 24, 2013
    Don't let some negative reviews fool you. This is a great game. It has enough horror elements to still keep the Dead Space feel to it, but has enough changes to keep from feeling like more of the same. The co-op alone makes this game worth a purchase. There's also a ton a re-playability with the different difficulty levels, and the new awesome gun creations. The only negative thing about this is game is the final hour or so. It was so tedious and boring that it gets to the point where you keep saying to yourself "I really wish this game would just end already". That's never a good thing and by the time the story ends you really just don't care anymore. This last portion of the game was enough to lower my score from almost a 10 to more like an 8.5 or so. Yeah, the last hour is that bad. I rounded up my rating to a 9 because a lot of these lower scores are just not fair to the game. It's just more people jumping on the current gaming bandwagon, which is to hate games that make changes from their originals and cry that the developers "aren't being true to their loyal fans".

This game is definitely worth checking out, and is an early game of the year contender for 2013.
  41. Feb 13, 2013
    Dead Space 3 was fun and engaging and just a bit scary when it was supposed to be. The action was faster and fluid. The environments were beautiful and the effects well done.
  42. Feb 17, 2013
    Great game. A good addition to the Dead Space saga. I am just fed up with online passes and micro transactions. I have been renting and buying used games for almost thirty years and I do not want to stop. If publishers want to make more money make better games, quit nickle and diming people.
  43. Feb 13, 2013
    Currently Im in chapter 15 and absolutely love the game, looking forward to finalize it and then play the new game+ classic mode, for the better DS experience. This game is pure fun and still the thrill is there I am playing Solo campaing during night time on 50" TV with home-cinema surround system and for sure the creepy atmosphere is there. Again this one is not the same pure horror experience as in DS1 when you needed to explore the dark, creepy locations of the Ishimura starship, it is more like horror/adventure with some more action but still with a lot of creepy, dark corridors/rooms mixed with outside areas with atmosphere similar to John Carpenter's "The Thing", with limited view due to permanent snow storm and necromorphs jumping out from the ground...The gameplay is very smooth giving you great control of each Isaac's movement, mostly you will fight the necromorphs with some soldiers occasionally, as I have mentioned ealier the weapon crafting is fun, no need for microtransactions, I stick to two or three favourite guns which are working well against any enemy. This game is a blast, will keep you at the edge of your seat from the beginning, would recommend it to any action/horror game fan! Expand
  44. Feb 14, 2013
    ds 3 is a great game fulfilling the dead space story. too many negatives from so called survival horror game players, who cannot see the tension building within the game. lets remember visceral developed the game, and did a fantastic job. not all survival horrors are based in a haunted mansion or an asylum. i have played hundreds of games, and my love is survival horror, and the dead space trilogy still stands out as some of the best games i have played. well done visceral, come on ds 4, and you lot of whinging girls, grow up, stop moaning and play the game the way it was made to be played. you never know you might actually get it! Expand
  45. Feb 23, 2013
    Being a horror lover, I've been a fan from the start, placing myself in a dark room alone with headphones turned up to 11, enjoying the first Dead Space experience in a way that I'll never forget. Since then, two iterations have emerged and I have thoroughly enjoyed both. Both sequels however, have not met my expectations pleasantly in regards to the 'true' horror experience that the first release was. That fact however, should in no way affect the score for the later titles as Dead Space 3 is a superb game. As many have pointed out, Dead Space 3 weighs in heavily on the action front but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's completely devoid of the horror that the series is known for. The catch here is that it's only a scary experience if you want it to be. The shooting mechanics are as they've always been though slightly more fine tuned. Strategic dismemberment of the Necromorphs is ever present and important as they are much faster and aggressive this time around. The fights against the human 'Unitologists' aren't nearly as tense or gratifying and can be at times a little detrimental to the overall atmosphere but let's face it, when you've played all the games and appreciate the story and lore, who doesn't want to unload a plasma cutter into one of those fools?
    At the normal setting(not recommended), you will breeze through the campaign easily, your inventory filled to bursting with health packs and ammo, necromorphs falling left and right to your overpowered arsenal. Turn up the difficulty however, and you're more likely to enjoy yourself if you seek that good ol' desperate feeling.
    I started off on hard and met a respectable challenge, at times damning myself for not stocking up on supplies properly and at other times feeling like the damn hero that Isaac Clarke, the most unfortunate engineer in the history of man, has come to be. For me, the perfect experience in DS3 was playing the game in 'Pure Survival' (a mode unlocked upon completion), where all ammo, health, upgrades and stasis etc had to be crafted manually with the resources you find lying around.
    Optional missions pop up here and there and are a welcome addition, in particular because aside from one, they were some of the most frightening missions in the game and serve to enliven the atmosphere of the various locations. The weapon crafting system albeit confusing at first glance, is quite frankly excellent (again, on harder difficulties) as it is truly gratifying, especially when you've evaluated your situation and find a combination of weapon parts that really save your hide under certain circumstances. Spend enough time here and you will be thankful for the opportunity to do so.
    A lot of flack has been thrown at DS3 because of EA and most notably, a modern trademark of that company: Payed downloadable content that will help you on your world saving conquest. I had read about this before I played the game but admittedly, I didn't even noticed the feature until my 3rd playthrough. If you dislike this kind of thing then fret not, it is in no way an imposing mechanic nor a requirement to play, complete or enjoy the game.
    Co-op, the most recent and potentially worrying addition to the franchise works as expected. The mechanics are solid but aside from a larger insight into Isaac's partner Carver, it doesn't offer much in my opinion. It should be noted however that I play the Dead Space games for isolation, horror and atmosphere purposes, others may take great pleasure in teaming up with a buddy for the murder party.
    I enjoyed the story despite the fact that at times, it's a bit on the clichéd side with some truly corny 'love' moments. That being said, considering Isaac's journey from one awful situation to another, I completely accepted the more 'heroic' turn of events this time around which are naturally followed by a more 'grandioso' style of storytelling. Besides, anyone who questions Isaac's 'bad-assness' at this point should just play a barbie game. Overall, I would recommend Dead Space 3 to anyone who enjoys either action or horror. Both elements are ever present in the game and the mechanics are, after 3 iterations, very tight and the game performs admirably. I don't consider graphics a necessity in the creation of good games but they look great here and the expansive space areas are fantastic. Get this game. And if you prefer to buy used games then worry not, the online pass/co-op is in no way critical to your enjoyment of this excellent gaming experience.
  46. May 1, 2013
    This third instalment may have went for a more action approach, but it still manages to successfully scare the out of you! Along with stunning graphics and a great storyline, Dead Space 3 is a great second sequel that isn't just a thrilling ride but also an incredibly tense action-horror-sci-fi game. The only flaws in this game are that it can be frustrating at times and the fact that the crouch button is the same as the location-tracker button, which can lead to confusion. Expand
  47. Aug 13, 2013
    At first i was rather worried about dead space 3 been more action then horror and be like the very disappointing resident evil 6, So far i am up to chapter 14 and i am honestly absolutely loving it, Dead Space 3 is the perfect blend between action and horror while the 2nd game in my opinion was more of a horror game with A nice amount of action. Its true that the game has shifted away from the pure survival horror feel of 1 and 2 but in my opinion this was really the only way to go with franchise, you can only scare a person for so long until they get used to seeing it, Dead Space 3 is large then life, graphically it looks more like Dead Space 2 but with alot more colour, the scenery and background is beautiful, so much hard work has gone into dead space 3 and it really shows, the game play feels the same with cool yet not very important added features, downsides so far honestly the story is rather slow and very random, very average writing, overall so far Dead Space 3 to me is an 8.6/10, a great game would definitely recommend buying Expand
  48. Aug 19, 2013
    Micro-transactions are useless but the game experience was pretty solid and the co-op was a blast. I got this from the bundle but I'd have bought it for ~$40.00 had I known how good it was going to be.

Soundtrack was pretty good but I wish they had more songs. I really liked the side missions as they were pretty much just extended bits of the campaign that furthered character
    development.

I give this 9 out of 10 beans.
  49. Apr 2, 2013
    Graphics:10//Gameplay:10//Plot:8//Soundtrack:8
    ------------9 masterpiece-------------
    dont listen to negative votes,a must have game,ppl always say that the first games are better without actually playing it.dead space is a unic game ,because it well scare the out of you,just play it alone with nobody around with your headphone ,i could not make it,amazing graphics they worked hard on
    it.the co-op sounds cool but i did not tried it.the maps are bigger than the other 2 games.changing ammo to be universal is a god thing also.some weapones are weeker than befor,like plasma cutter and line gun,and most of the weapons are useless,all items required a lot of materials to find.i did not like crafting weapons i prefer the old way,so many variables to understand and you cannot test it freely,but some ppl liked it .suites are beautiful also.it is a long campaign but you will never get bored .there is a couple of secondary missions ,you should not miss it,they are extra gameplay hours.
    cons:stupid glitchy bosses and you have to fight the same boss for three times??enemies does not have detiles,they look like a piece of glitch.
  50. Feb 24, 2013
    Ive always been a huge fan of the horror genre. I loved the first two Dead space games. and i love Dead space 3 just the same. but there is something missing. The initial sence of terror. while still there, is lacking. But despite that, dead space 3 is one hell of a game. If you want the full experience play the coop. that is where this game stands out. i wont give anything away but seeing a toy soldier has never been this scary. The only time i was truely scared in this game was when my coop partner started screeming and spinning in circles in an elevator to something i could not see. This game offers an intense action packed experience that anyone fan of dead space or not, could love. I love dead space 3 and i cant stop playing it. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  51. Mar 16, 2013
    Si hay algo en que los 2 primeros juegos se lucen ademas del terror es en su historia y con esta tercera entrega no hicieron la excepción.

Cuando me supe que este juego iba a dejar de ser solo un survival horror y se inclinarían hacía la acción como con RE 6, pensé que el juego me iba a decepcionar que ya no me iba asustar como con las primeras 2 entregas, quería llorar bueno hablando
    en serio, no me daban ganas de jugarlo y lo único que podía pensar de DS 3 es que iba a ser una cagada...PERO al jugarlo y terminarlo,visceral games me cerro la boca;si bien no es el survival horror como en la primer entrega sigue estando presente al menos yo me asuste en muchas partes y caminaba con cuidado ,la música y el sonido son de lo mejor en este juego.Bueno ahora hablo sobre los puntos del juego. Gráficamente el juego se ve excelente, los detalles de los escenarios, la ambientación, cada punto cada cosa se ve realmente hermoso.
    La jugabilidad también esta muy buena un tanto mejorado de las entregas anteriores.El sonido es algo de lo mejor, lo que si no tenía un volumen tan alto no se si era mis auriculares o era el juego mismo pero a pesar de eso es genial :B. Inteligencia artificial buena pero podría haber estado mejor :D :D.
    De innovador tiene el coop que no lo pude probar porque en modo offline no tiene pantalla dividida pero si lo tiene por interconexion que algún día probare ,el arsenal de armas, el poder crearte armas o fabricar objetos es una idea muy buena y el esquivar/agacharse, es algo genial estar disparando y esquivando al mismo tiempo,muy útil.
    Si yo podría tener mi lo bueno y lo malo" de este juego sería que: Bueno: La historia es algo que esta a la altura de las entregas anteriores y con giros de la nada que hacen putear o terminar odiando a alguien PERO el final lo caga :B. La ambientación, muchos y muchos lugares para explorar por ej: El espacio.Sonido y música.MUCHOS Y MUCHOS ENEMIGOS, no podes estar tranquilo si te vienen a atacar siempre vienen de a 5 o mas, eso es algo bueno porque te quedas sin vida y sin munición rápido :B(es desesperante estar disparando,esquivando y corriendo porque 20 necromorfos te atacan) Y el diseño artístico.

Malo: Mucha pero mucha munición, esta bien que sean muchos bichos y que te dejen seco tan rápido(aveces) pero encontrar munición por cualquier lado o que mágicamente aparezcan de la nada no es algo bueno.El final.

A pesar de que Dead space 3 se inclino al lado de la acción, aun están esos momentos de miedo que en varias partes del juego lo van a sentir y hay varios momentos épicos que hacen de este juego algo excelente.

Sacaran una 4ta parte a pesar de que las ventas no fueron las esperadas?.
  52. Feb 28, 2013
    Does anyone remember the bat things, that would make dead bodies come to life as necromorphes? Those have somehow vanished from this series. I was completely freaked out of anything, even dead, somehow coming to life in a crazy deformed monster. Those were the Dead Space moments that, like Isaac in the second game,made me lose my mind. As a Dead Space game I call this a 6. However, as an action game, which im a fun of that too, I give it a solid 9+. The controls are the tightest out of most games out there. I love the co-op too. What I noticed is that DS3 feels allot like Lost Planet, and the next Lost Planet looks like a Dead Space game. Very odd.

My suggestion to EA, may not be popular, but end the story of Isaac Clark. Creat a story like the IPhone app game was for Dead Space. That's my take on it. I do very much love this game, and hope for more
  53. Mar 19, 2013
    Great game play, pretty good story, Isaac is back and better than ever but this time, with a friend. I enjoyed the Co-op so much! Great all around, scary fun!
  54. Mar 24, 2013
    Great game and history. The script of this game can be easy a great movie. From the technical view, the details of the levels and characters are more advanced that other games from this year release. I don't want to finish it (about 44% made right now). For Visceral Games, maybe a little more of history and less killing would be great for the next DS.
  55. Apr 7, 2013
    I was going to make a long review but I am going to make it short: Dead Space 3 may not be the same as its predecessors, but it still is rather enjoyable. The scares never came to me as a selling point for Dead Space, I play the games because the story was interesting and the gameplay was excellent. Too many people are just angry with the fact that its not as scary, and instead of actually attempting to link the story together, they bash it because EA only cares about micro-transactions", and, "Hurr durr not enough scary moments". The new weapon crafting system is much better than the old Power Node system. The story, while cinematic to a fault, was still on track with the previous installments. The human enemies do NOT ruin the game, they are a fundamental part of the story. At the end of the day, one can determine those who really enjoys the series from those that simply played them because they were survival horror. This game is excellent, and people are angry because it wasn't exactly the same as the first two. Expand
  56. Apr 13, 2013
    As a fan of the first two games, I was eagerly awaiting this game. I'm pleased to say this is a great game that I thoroughly enjoyed. While it may not have quite as many "jump out of your seat" moments, it does have them now and then you will find yourself wiping your sweaty controller hands frequently.

In regard to the story, there are some cringe-worthy moments, mostly involving a
    weird love triangle. No spoilers, but you won't enjoy those parts. Those moments aside, the story keeps you interested throughout the whole game and really ties up the trilogy well.

In regard to how it looks, Dead Space 3 is gorgeous. I played it on Xbox 360 and for me, it's only behind Crysis 2 in terms of graphical beauty (talking about Xbox 360 games only here). By beauty I mean disgustingly awful creatures, of course, though the environments are spectacular and the physics extremely well-done. The oft-varying environments are a welcome change to the narrow corridors we were usually confined to in the first two games.

One thing I don't appreciate is EA's money-grubbing hands making the true end to the story a DLC. That's right, if you just finish the game without buying Awakened for 800 MSP you won't know the true end to Dead Space 3. Granted, the end is awesome, but really? Should we have to pay an extra $10 to see it?

All points considered, Dead Space 3 is a worthy sequel to the series and an extremely fun game to play. It's also worth noting that it took me about 24 hours to play it through completely, as compared to about 12 hours for each of the first two. Granted, I did all the optional missions and did a lot of exploring, but I was still impressed by the length. No spoilers, but the end (the TRUE end) of the game leaves it wide open for a Dead Space 4. Conclusion? I will be extremely disappointed if there isn't a Dead Space 4!
  57. Jul 12, 2013
    You know despite what people say about the recent Dead Space 2 and 3 being a sudden shift from survival horror to an action oriented game with horror aspects its hard to argue with what Dead Space brings to the table. Some people even argue that the entire series is guilty of merely using cheap scares or borrowing too much from the franchises its clearly inspired by. So why is it that these games should be shown way more appreciation than they get? Its all in the execution and the detail put into the games. I'm not talking about graphical detail, oh no, waaaay too much president is put on graphical details at present. I'm not even talking about gameplay or the controls that people seem to have such an issue with, seriously if you don't like this style of control bugger off back to the ivory tower from whence you came. I'm talking about the little details, the fact that the world you inhabit is comprised of environments clearly meticulously crafted. Even down to the doors and mechanisms you interact with, it all serves to engage you in the universe you're a part of. These sorts of details are something lacking in many modern games that occupy themselves so much with graphical fidelity and polishing up explosions and the crumblings of buildings. Another massive plus for the series is that it is one of the few franchises still carrying the horror flag. Whilst it may have gained an action spin in recent times, it is a testament to this series strength that it can still appeal to an old school survival horror fiend like myself. Don't get me wrong, I like action games too and the action involved here is just enough.

So the controls aren't lightning smooth like some games out there but they are fit for purpose and serve to carry you through what always promises to be a compelling and exciting adventure. With that going for it as well as scares and atmosphere to boot its such a shame the franchise is on hold at the moment. Having just completed this mammoth game (Dead Space 3) as well as the frightfully short Awakening DLC has reminded me of just what an excellent series this is and I wish it could be left to its own devices to simply continue being awesome without the meddling hands of external sources who are clueless as to the real reason a game like this is successful which is due to consumers in fact not being mindless sheep who crave COD and GOW clones.

In short, this is an excellent game with so many varied environments and experiences that it puts most of the 'AAA' market to shame.
  58. Jun 3, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a thrill ride from start to end and easily the best entry in the series (which is saying a lot). The weapon customization system is super-deep, the set pieces are huge and it's an amazing experience when played with a friend. I also thought the story was underrated and it's interesting to see how each player has different experiences throughout the game. I'd recommend playing the first two before this one, but it's a game that shouldn't be missed. Expand
  59. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is so under-rated. Yes it is not as scary as the first 2, so what? the gameplay is excellent, it has the best weapon customization in any game ever and the story line is emotional, but yet compelling. This game is beast and in my opinion is better than the last of us or tomb raider
  60. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Amazing looking detail, creepy environments, nice looking snow. 10.

Sound: Creepy sounds, great voice acting, unique gun sounds. 10.

Gameplay: The gameplay is similar to Dead Space 2, but now with more customizable options. You’re now able to build your own weapons, add attachments, and upgrades to them. The gameplay now throws more and more waves of enemies at you
    than in normal games, but mainly because this game seems to be taking the co-op route. In co-op Issac teams up with Carver and during some of Carvers quests, Carver sees and experiences things that a player playing as Issac won’t see. One example, Carver is stuck fighting off his inner thoughts but to Issac he is frozen still while Issac has to defend him. The game has new resources to loot that allow you to purchase blueprints, and create new weapons. There are optional missions during the main storyline but most of the optional missions seem like they are repeating and some areas look way too similar (copy pasted). Overall the whole game is an amazing experience that still retains its horror roots only with more action, and scripted events that are now sharable with your friends. Boss fights are also fun and make you think a little, some puzzles that are neat but still simple. Disappointed they took out multiplayer, while it wasn’t anything innovative it was still something extra, playing co-op itself will get old quick. 9.0.

Story: The story continues to follow Issac after the events of Dead Space 2. It’s a good story that is like watching a nice action movie only mixed with some horror, and even some romance. 9.

Lasting Appeal: Worth the purchase, clocks 12 hours single player alone, leaving replay value for collectibles. 10.

Overall Score: 9.6 out of 10.
  61. Feb 14, 2013
    The game is great and the plot is amazing and blew me away, but being a fan of the other 2 games i saw some great features be left behind, such as saving at a save station, power nodes and the store, I love the bench and the way so many guns can be built but the whole universal ammo idea though it was completely nesscary left out the inventory arangement the other 2 had, i played on hard and had so much ammo I didn't need, with this ammo stituation the game became a lot less scary as I knew I had enough ammo to be able to expand 3 stacks and still have plenty, and although the idea of the suit rack was awesome I did like how once you upgraded your suit every suit would be the same as the other suits, it made them feel more like a visual effect rather than something that would actually give you a special bonus for wearing it, and I know I am probably whining a little here, no lies the games great I love it and it stands proudly as a worthy third installment, i just wish some of the other games features had appered in this. At least you can't go through the whole game using only the Plasma Cutter on hard. Collapse

1. Apr 15, 2013
    There’s also unevenness to the pacing between the high-energy action divided by constant collect-a-thons.
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    A great horror game was turned into a decent co-op shooter. Dead Space 3 is well-made but the uniqueness of the series is gone. Was that really the goal? [CD-Action 04/2013, p.66]
  3. Mar 23, 2013
    An impressive all-out action blaster that betrays its horror roots for a lower common denominator. [Apr 2013, p.64]