6.3

1. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Amazing looking detail, creepy environments, nice looking snow. 10.

Sound: Creepy sounds, great voice acting, unique gun sounds. 10.

Gameplay: The gameplay is similar to Dead Space 2, but now with more customizable options. You’re now able to build your own weapons, add attachments, and upgrades to them. The gameplay now throws more and more waves of enemies at you
    than in normal games, but mainly because this game seems to be taking the co-op route. In co-op Issac teams up with Carver and during some of Carvers quests, Carver sees and experiences things that a player playing as Issac won’t see. One example, Carver is stuck fighting off his inner thoughts but to Issac he is frozen still while Issac has to defend him. The game has new resources to loot that allow you to purchase blueprints, and create new weapons. There are optional missions during the main storyline but most of the optional missions seem like they are repeating and some areas look way too similar (copy pasted). Overall the whole game is an amazing experience that still retains its horror roots only with more action, and scripted events that are now sharable with your friends. Boss fights are also fun and make you think a little, some puzzles that are neat but still simple. Disappointed they took out multiplayer, while it wasn’t anything innovative it was still something extra, playing co-op itself will get old quick. 9.0.

Story: The story continues to follow Issac after the events of Dead Space 2. It’s a good story that is like watching a nice action movie only mixed with some horror, and even some romance. 9.

Lasting Appeal: Worth the purchase, clocks 12 hours single player alone, leaving replay value for collectibles. 10.

Overall Score: 9.6 out of 10.
  2. Aug 19, 2013
    Micro-transactions are useless but the game experience was pretty solid and the co-op was a blast. I got this from the bundle but I'd have bought it for ~$40.00 had I known how good it was going to be.

Soundtrack was pretty good but I wish they had more songs. I really liked the side missions as they were pretty much just extended bits of the campaign that furthered character
    development.

I give this 9 out of 10 beans.
  3. Aug 13, 2013
    At first i was rather worried about dead space 3 been more action then horror and be like the very disappointing resident evil 6, So far i am up to chapter 14 and i am honestly absolutely loving it, Dead Space 3 is the perfect blend between action and horror while the 2nd game in my opinion was more of a horror game with A nice amount of action. Its true that the game has shifted away from the pure survival horror feel of 1 and 2 but in my opinion this was really the only way to go with franchise, you can only scare a person for so long until they get used to seeing it, Dead Space 3 is large then life, graphically it looks more like Dead Space 2 but with alot more colour, the scenery and background is beautiful, so much hard work has gone into dead space 3 and it really shows, the game play feels the same with cool yet not very important added features, downsides so far honestly the story is rather slow and very random, very average writing, overall so far Dead Space 3 to me is an 8.6/10, a great game would definitely recommend buying Expand
  4. Jul 12, 2013
    You know despite what people say about the recent Dead Space 2 and 3 being a sudden shift from survival horror to an action oriented game with horror aspects its hard to argue with what Dead Space brings to the table. Some people even argue that the entire series is guilty of merely using cheap scares or borrowing too much from the franchises its clearly inspired by. So why is it that these games should be shown way more appreciation than they get? Its all in the execution and the detail put into the games. I'm not talking about graphical detail, oh no, waaaay too much president is put on graphical details at present. I'm not even talking about gameplay or the controls that people seem to have such an issue with, seriously if you don't like this style of control bugger off back to the ivory tower from whence you came. I'm talking about the little details, the fact that the world you inhabit is comprised of environments clearly meticulously crafted. Even down to the doors and mechanisms you interact with, it all serves to engage you in the universe you're a part of. These sorts of details are something lacking in many modern games that occupy themselves so much with graphical fidelity and polishing up explosions and the crumblings of buildings. Another massive plus for the series is that it is one of the few franchises still carrying the horror flag. Whilst it may have gained an action spin in recent times, it is a testament to this series strength that it can still appeal to an old school survival horror fiend like myself. Don't get me wrong, I like action games too and the action involved here is just enough.

So the controls aren't lightning smooth like some games out there but they are fit for purpose and serve to carry you through what always promises to be a compelling and exciting adventure. With that going for it as well as scares and atmosphere to boot its such a shame the franchise is on hold at the moment. Having just completed this mammoth game (Dead Space 3) as well as the frightfully short Awakening DLC has reminded me of just what an excellent series this is and I wish it could be left to its own devices to simply continue being awesome without the meddling hands of external sources who are clueless as to the real reason a game like this is successful which is due to consumers in fact not being mindless sheep who crave COD and GOW clones.

In short, this is an excellent game with so many varied environments and experiences that it puts most of the 'AAA' market to shame.
  5. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is so under-rated. Yes it is not as scary as the first 2, so what? the gameplay is excellent, it has the best weapon customization in any game ever and the story line is emotional, but yet compelling. This game is beast and in my opinion is better than the last of us or tomb raider
  6. Jun 3, 2013
    Dead Space 3 is a thrill ride from start to end and easily the best entry in the series (which is saying a lot). The weapon customization system is super-deep, the set pieces are huge and it's an amazing experience when played with a friend. I also thought the story was underrated and it's interesting to see how each player has different experiences throughout the game. I'd recommend playing the first two before this one, but it's a game that shouldn't be missed. Expand
  7. May 1, 2013
    This third instalment may have went for a more action approach, but it still manages to successfully scare the out of you! Along with stunning graphics and a great storyline, Dead Space 3 is a great second sequel that isn't just a thrilling ride but also an incredibly tense action-horror-sci-fi game. The only flaws in this game are that it can be frustrating at times and the fact that the crouch button is the same as the location-tracker button, which can lead to confusion. Expand
  8. Apr 13, 2013
    As a fan of the first two games, I was eagerly awaiting this game. I'm pleased to say this is a great game that I thoroughly enjoyed. While it may not have quite as many "jump out of your seat" moments, it does have them now and then you will find yourself wiping your sweaty controller hands frequently.

In regard to the story, there are some cringe-worthy moments, mostly involving a
    weird love triangle. No spoilers, but you won't enjoy those parts. Those moments aside, the story keeps you interested throughout the whole game and really ties up the trilogy well.

In regard to how it looks, Dead Space 3 is gorgeous. I played it on Xbox 360 and for me, it's only behind Crysis 2 in terms of graphical beauty (talking about Xbox 360 games only here). By beauty I mean disgustingly awful creatures, of course, though the environments are spectacular and the physics extremely well-done. The oft-varying environments are a welcome change to the narrow corridors we were usually confined to in the first two games.

One thing I don't appreciate is EA's money-grubbing hands making the true end to the story a DLC. That's right, if you just finish the game without buying Awakened for 800 MSP you won't know the true end to Dead Space 3. Granted, the end is awesome, but really? Should we have to pay an extra $10 to see it?

All points considered, Dead Space 3 is a worthy sequel to the series and an extremely fun game to play. It's also worth noting that it took me about 24 hours to play it through completely, as compared to about 12 hours for each of the first two. Granted, I did all the optional missions and did a lot of exploring, but I was still impressed by the length. No spoilers, but the end (the TRUE end) of the game leaves it wide open for a Dead Space 4. Conclusion? I will be extremely disappointed if there isn't a Dead Space 4!
  9. Apr 7, 2013
    I was going to make a long review but I am going to make it short: Dead Space 3 may not be the same as its predecessors, but it still is rather enjoyable. The scares never came to me as a selling point for Dead Space, I play the games because the story was interesting and the gameplay was excellent. Too many people are just angry with the fact that its not as scary, and instead of actually attempting to link the story together, they bash it because EA only cares about micro-transactions", and, "Hurr durr not enough scary moments". The new weapon crafting system is much better than the old Power Node system. The story, while cinematic to a fault, was still on track with the previous installments. The human enemies do NOT ruin the game, they are a fundamental part of the story. At the end of the day, one can determine those who really enjoys the series from those that simply played them because they were survival horror. This game is excellent, and people are angry because it wasn't exactly the same as the first two. Expand
  10. Apr 2, 2013
    Graphics:10//Gameplay:10//Plot:8//Soundtrack:8
    ------------9 masterpiece-------------
    dont listen to negative votes,a must have game,ppl always say that the first games are better without actually playing it.dead space is a unic game ,because it well scare the out of you,just play it alone with nobody around with your headphone ,i could not make it,amazing graphics they worked hard on
    it.the co-op sounds cool but i did not tried it.the maps are bigger than the other 2 games.changing ammo to be universal is a god thing also.some weapones are weeker than befor,like plasma cutter and line gun,and most of the weapons are useless,all items required a lot of materials to find.i did not like crafting weapons i prefer the old way,so many variables to understand and you cannot test it freely,but some ppl liked it .suites are beautiful also.it is a long campaign but you will never get bored .there is a couple of secondary missions ,you should not miss it,they are extra gameplay hours.
    cons:stupid glitchy bosses and you have to fight the same boss for three times??enemies does not have detiles,they look like a piece of glitch.
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    Great game and history. The script of this game can be easy a great movie. From the technical view, the details of the levels and characters are more advanced that other games from this year release. I don't want to finish it (about 44% made right now). For Visceral Games, maybe a little more of history and less killing would be great for the next DS.
  12. Mar 19, 2013
    Great game play, pretty good story, Isaac is back and better than ever but this time, with a friend. I enjoyed the Co-op so much! Great all around, scary fun!
  13. Mar 16, 2013
    Si hay algo en que los 2 primeros juegos se lucen ademas del terror es en su historia y con esta tercera entrega no hicieron la excepción.

Cuando me supe que este juego iba a dejar de ser solo un survival horror y se inclinarían hacía la acción como con RE 6, pensé que el juego me iba a decepcionar que ya no me iba asustar como con las primeras 2 entregas, quería llorar bueno hablando
    en serio, no me daban ganas de jugarlo y lo único que podía pensar de DS 3 es que iba a ser una cagada...PERO al jugarlo y terminarlo,visceral games me cerro la boca;si bien no es el survival horror como en la primer entrega sigue estando presente al menos yo me asuste en muchas partes y caminaba con cuidado ,la música y el sonido son de lo mejor en este juego.Bueno ahora hablo sobre los puntos del juego. Gráficamente el juego se ve excelente, los detalles de los escenarios, la ambientación, cada punto cada cosa se ve realmente hermoso.
    La jugabilidad también esta muy buena un tanto mejorado de las entregas anteriores.El sonido es algo de lo mejor, lo que si no tenía un volumen tan alto no se si era mis auriculares o era el juego mismo pero a pesar de eso es genial :B. Inteligencia artificial buena pero podría haber estado mejor :D :D.
    De innovador tiene el coop que no lo pude probar porque en modo offline no tiene pantalla dividida pero si lo tiene por interconexion que algún día probare ,el arsenal de armas, el poder crearte armas o fabricar objetos es una idea muy buena y el esquivar/agacharse, es algo genial estar disparando y esquivando al mismo tiempo,muy útil.
    Si yo podría tener mi lo bueno y lo malo" de este juego sería que: Bueno: La historia es algo que esta a la altura de las entregas anteriores y con giros de la nada que hacen putear o terminar odiando a alguien PERO el final lo caga :B. La ambientación, muchos y muchos lugares para explorar por ej: El espacio.Sonido y música.MUCHOS Y MUCHOS ENEMIGOS, no podes estar tranquilo si te vienen a atacar siempre vienen de a 5 o mas, eso es algo bueno porque te quedas sin vida y sin munición rápido :B(es desesperante estar disparando,esquivando y corriendo porque 20 necromorfos te atacan) Y el diseño artístico.

Malo: Mucha pero mucha munición, esta bien que sean muchos bichos y que te dejen seco tan rápido(aveces) pero encontrar munición por cualquier lado o que mágicamente aparezcan de la nada no es algo bueno.El final.

A pesar de que Dead space 3 se inclino al lado de la acción, aun están esos momentos de miedo que en varias partes del juego lo van a sentir y hay varios momentos épicos que hacen de este juego algo excelente.

Sacaran una 4ta parte a pesar de que las ventas no fueron las esperadas?.
  14. Feb 28, 2013
    Does anyone remember the bat things, that would make dead bodies come to life as necromorphes? Those have somehow vanished from this series. I was completely freaked out of anything, even dead, somehow coming to life in a crazy deformed monster. Those were the Dead Space moments that, like Isaac in the second game,made me lose my mind. As a Dead Space game I call this a 6. However, as an action game, which im a fun of that too, I give it a solid 9+. The controls are the tightest out of most games out there. I love the co-op too. What I noticed is that DS3 feels allot like Lost Planet, and the next Lost Planet looks like a Dead Space game. Very odd.

My suggestion to EA, may not be popular, but end the story of Isaac Clark. Creat a story like the IPhone app game was for Dead Space. That's my take on it. I do very much love this game, and hope for more
  15. Feb 24, 2013
    Ive always been a huge fan of the horror genre. I loved the first two Dead space games. and i love Dead space 3 just the same. but there is something missing. The initial sence of terror. while still there, is lacking. But despite that, dead space 3 is one hell of a game. If you want the full experience play the coop. that is where this game stands out. i wont give anything away but seeing a toy soldier has never been this scary. The only time i was truely scared in this game was when my coop partner started screeming and spinning in circles in an elevator to something i could not see. This game offers an intense action packed experience that anyone fan of dead space or not, could love. I love dead space 3 and i cant stop playing it. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  16. Feb 24, 2013
    Don't let some negative reviews fool you. This is a great game. It has enough horror elements to still keep the Dead Space feel to it, but has enough changes to keep from feeling like more of the same. The co-op alone makes this game worth a purchase. There's also a ton a re-playability with the different difficulty levels, and the new awesome gun creations. The only negative thing about this is game is the final hour or so. It was so tedious and boring that it gets to the point where you keep saying to yourself "I really wish this game would just end already". That's never a good thing and by the time the story ends you really just don't care anymore. This last portion of the game was enough to lower my score from almost a 10 to more like an 8.5 or so. Yeah, the last hour is that bad. I rounded up my rating to a 9 because a lot of these lower scores are just not fair to the game. It's just more people jumping on the current gaming bandwagon, which is to hate games that make changes from their originals and cry that the developers "aren't being true to their loyal fans".

This game is definitely worth checking out, and is an early game of the year contender for 2013.
  17. Feb 23, 2013
    Being a horror lover, I've been a fan from the start, placing myself in a dark room alone with headphones turned up to 11, enjoying the first Dead Space experience in a way that I'll never forget. Since then, two iterations have emerged and I have thoroughly enjoyed both. Both sequels however, have not met my expectations pleasantly in regards to the 'true' horror experience that the first release was. That fact however, should in no way affect the score for the later titles as Dead Space 3 is a superb game. As many have pointed out, Dead Space 3 weighs in heavily on the action front but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's completely devoid of the horror that the series is known for. The catch here is that it's only a scary experience if you want it to be. The shooting mechanics are as they've always been though slightly more fine tuned. Strategic dismemberment of the Necromorphs is ever present and important as they are much faster and aggressive this time around. The fights against the human 'Unitologists' aren't nearly as tense or gratifying and can be at times a little detrimental to the overall atmosphere but let's face it, when you've played all the games and appreciate the story and lore, who doesn't want to unload a plasma cutter into one of those fools?
    At the normal setting(not recommended), you will breeze through the campaign easily, your inventory filled to bursting with health packs and ammo, necromorphs falling left and right to your overpowered arsenal. Turn up the difficulty however, and you're more likely to enjoy yourself if you seek that good ol' desperate feeling.
    I started off on hard and met a respectable challenge, at times damning myself for not stocking up on supplies properly and at other times feeling like the damn hero that Isaac Clarke, the most unfortunate engineer in the history of man, has come to be. For me, the perfect experience in DS3 was playing the game in 'Pure Survival' (a mode unlocked upon completion), where all ammo, health, upgrades and stasis etc had to be crafted manually with the resources you find lying around.
    Optional missions pop up here and there and are a welcome addition, in particular because aside from one, they were some of the most frightening missions in the game and serve to enliven the atmosphere of the various locations. The weapon crafting system albeit confusing at first glance, is quite frankly excellent (again, on harder difficulties) as it is truly gratifying, especially when you've evaluated your situation and find a combination of weapon parts that really save your hide under certain circumstances. Spend enough time here and you will be thankful for the opportunity to do so.
    A lot of flack has been thrown at DS3 because of EA and most notably, a modern trademark of that company: Payed downloadable content that will help you on your world saving conquest. I had read about this before I played the game but admittedly, I didn't even noticed the feature until my 3rd playthrough. If you dislike this kind of thing then fret not, it is in no way an imposing mechanic nor a requirement to play, complete or enjoy the game.
    Co-op, the most recent and potentially worrying addition to the franchise works as expected. The mechanics are solid but aside from a larger insight into Isaac's partner Carver, it doesn't offer much in my opinion. It should be noted however that I play the Dead Space games for isolation, horror and atmosphere purposes, others may take great pleasure in teaming up with a buddy for the murder party.
    I enjoyed the story despite the fact that at times, it's a bit on the clichéd side with some truly corny 'love' moments. That being said, considering Isaac's journey from one awful situation to another, I completely accepted the more 'heroic' turn of events this time around which are naturally followed by a more 'grandioso' style of storytelling. Besides, anyone who questions Isaac's 'bad-assness' at this point should just play a barbie game. Overall, I would recommend Dead Space 3 to anyone who enjoys either action or horror. Both elements are ever present in the game and the mechanics are, after 3 iterations, very tight and the game performs admirably. I don't consider graphics a necessity in the creation of good games but they look great here and the expansive space areas are fantastic. Get this game. And if you prefer to buy used games then worry not, the online pass/co-op is in no way critical to your enjoyment of this excellent gaming experience.
  18. Feb 23, 2013
    don't listen to the fanboys, Dead Space 3 is good game.
  19. Feb 21, 2013
    Loved Dead Space 1 and 2 and I loved 3. Yes, it's not as well paced or atmospheric as the first two games but it is still a great game! The campaign length is amazing. How people complain its too long are crazy! Go back to you 5 hour campaigns then.. Recommended!
  20. Feb 18, 2013
    Dead Space 3 was innovative, fun, and offered a slightly different experience to it's predecessors. While definitely a more action based installment, the horror element is certainly there and well done. I found myself at times dreading the next room or jumping at the next enemy surprising me, wile not as fearful as the first, it did have the action part more well done than it's predecessors.

The action portion was great, being able to customize a huge number of elements on my weapons from upgrades, to barrel combinations, I was never short of a fun, new way to massacre necros. In addition, moments of empowerment are quite exciting, being able to use your (assuming you're accurate) solid aim and superior intellect to crush groups of enemies.

While I wish it was more horror (like the first installment) I think in and of itself DS3 was very well made, and very fun. I personally think that reviewing this game in strong comparison with the first is foolhardy, as it is *meant* to not be as much horror and much more action.

Although I rate this game a 9, I am going to give it a 10 to offset the ridiculous fools here that leave crappy *opinion only* based reviews and are upset because *their* personal desires are not met (I also see many of them seem to be "hipster gamers," apparently it is just plain cool to hate on big game companies).

I highly recommend this game for anyone looking for some good scares, and lots of gruesome, gory, and exciting killing.
  21. Feb 17, 2013
    Great game. A good addition to the Dead Space saga. I am just fed up with online passes and micro transactions. I have been renting and buying used games for almost thirty years and I do not want to stop. If publishers want to make more money make better games, quit nickle and diming people.
  22. Feb 16, 2013
    Great game. Better than the 7/10 some people are giving it.
    Found this to be a great addition to my co-op games which is my preference with great graphics and exceptional sound. Die hard fans probably wont like the co-op as it definitely takes the scare out of the game but for a shooter excellent. Found the making up guns fun and always having to go back to a bench and changing my new gun
    after finding my new colossus to be a squib. Give it a try as its miles ahead of Aliens colonial marines which is dire. Expand
  23. Feb 16, 2013
    6.1 really... 78 critic review score really... sometimes people baffle me, if you were a fan of dead space 1 or dead space 2 you should feel right at home here, i say "should" because before the game released there was people moaning about co-op, your on an ice planet there's know more dark hallways this isn't dead space.... first off the co-op is optional, so if you don't want to do co-op then don't pick it, the second thing is 70% of the game your still in dark hallways so it has the same DS feel, it's still creepy, there's still scares people need to relax... is it a little more action focused then DS 1 2 yea, does that change that this is still an awesome entry into the series... NO... the only downside for me personally is this game has a lot of backtracking but that's nothing new for people that played DS1 (quick tip if u beat the game sit through the credits cause there's something not to be missed at the end) Dead space 3 starts 2013 in an awesome way. Expand
  24. Feb 15, 2013
    I think the scores are too low. I'm a picky, hardcore gamer like many of you, and I believe they improved the game. Sure, they didn't give us the goose bump feeling from the first game, but that's hardly because the game is worst we just now what to expect. So instead, they gave us more action to compensate and the co-op is a bonus. It's fun and worth buying.
  25. Feb 14, 2013
    ds 3 is a great game fulfilling the dead space story. too many negatives from so called survival horror game players, who cannot see the tension building within the game. lets remember visceral developed the game, and did a fantastic job. not all survival horrors are based in a haunted mansion or an asylum. i have played hundreds of games, and my love is survival horror, and the dead space trilogy still stands out as some of the best games i have played. well done visceral, come on ds 4, and you lot of whinging girls, grow up, stop moaning and play the game the way it was made to be played. you never know you might actually get it! Expand
  26. Feb 14, 2013
    Being a big fan of the first two games, i have to say i still love this one too. I have been mostly playing in Co-op with a friend and while it takes a lot of the scares away, it's a very very fun experience. The new crafting system is great and addictive. The gameplay is indeed more action based, but even then it really still feels like a dead space game. Or at least the atmosphere. Audiovisually it's again really impressive. I like this new approach to DS series. And if i want the survival horror experience, i can just play the previous two games. But the co-op is just tons of fun. Me and my friend are already looking forward to a second playthrough. Expand
  27. Feb 13, 2013
    Dont listen to all the negative crap about this game, Iv been a fan since Dead Space 1 and have loved every minute of every game. This third game is no different. Awesome from beginning to end. The addition of weapon crafting in this one is probably one of the best things they could have done. So much fun!! This game is well worth picking up.
  28. Feb 13, 2013
    Dead Space 3 was fun and engaging and just a bit scary when it was supposed to be. The action was faster and fluid. The environments were beautiful and the effects well done.
  29. Feb 13, 2013
    Best Dead Space to date!! Sure its not the survival horror that i have know to love.. BUT the CRAFTING and the Torque bars to unlock certain doors, the Co-Op, the ability to replay levels to 100% everything, the extra new game modes as well!! Wish it would be scarier but overall im 100% happy with the Game its self.. The Micro Transactions are Pathetic.. But that is EA for ya... Milking their customers.. But overall i love it!! Expand
  30. Feb 13, 2013
    Currently Im in chapter 15 and absolutely love the game, looking forward to finalize it and then play the new game+ classic mode, for the better DS experience. This game is pure fun and still the thrill is there I am playing Solo campaing during night time on 50" TV with home-cinema surround system and for sure the creepy atmosphere is there. Again this one is not the same pure horror experience as in DS1 when you needed to explore the dark, creepy locations of the Ishimura starship, it is more like horror/adventure with some more action but still with a lot of creepy, dark corridors/rooms mixed with outside areas with atmosphere similar to John Carpenter's "The Thing", with limited view due to permanent snow storm and necromorphs jumping out from the ground...The gameplay is very smooth giving you great control of each Isaac's movement, mostly you will fight the necromorphs with some soldiers occasionally, as I have mentioned ealier the weapon crafting is fun, no need for microtransactions, I stick to two or three favourite guns which are working well against any enemy. This game is a blast, will keep you at the edge of your seat from the beginning, would recommend it to any action/horror game fan! Expand

1. Apr 15, 2013
    There’s also unevenness to the pacing between the high-energy action divided by constant collect-a-thons.
  2. Apr 5, 2013
    A great horror game was turned into a decent co-op shooter. Dead Space 3 is well-made but the uniqueness of the series is gone. Was that really the goal? [CD-Action 04/2013, p.66]
  3. Mar 23, 2013
    An impressive all-out action blaster that betrays its horror roots for a lower common denominator. [Apr 2013, p.64]