7.8

1. Oct 9, 2012
    Absolutely amazing game; the best in years. Signed up to Metacritic just to say that.
  2. Oct 14, 2012
    Second review, after playing the game for a while. My score for it hasn't changed, still 10/10. People have complained about the length but achievements wise, you have to replay the game many times, and u get to study each map so for me the length is perfect. The story, yes it isn't the greatest or most dramatic but honestly that's not why we play this game. Graphics on the 360 leaves much to be desired but it didn't bother me at all. It looks better on PC, which is puzzling. The reason we play this game is for the gameplay and concept and both of those have been implemented Brilliantly. The abilities are all significant and unique, the maps all have multiple paths that u learn about each time u play. For the intrigued you have the ability to be creative. Don't put this game down for not being an open world rpg. That's not what it is it's not assassins creed. It's dishonored and it's a brilliant game. Expand
  3. Oct 13, 2012
    It is a rare sight in this day and age to have a game that gives the decision making to the player. If you are an action nut and killing everything in your path is your style Dishonored lets you do it, if you are a stealthy assassin who's goals are to inflict little to no casualties, Dishonored lets you do it. I have only had my hands on Dishonored for a few hours but in that time I see how well Arkane Studios has done with this game. The control are solid, the stealth system has only a few flaws to mar an almost perfect system, and the action is intense. Dishonored is definitely a sleeper hit for this year and is going to be the game that will be given credit for Arkane Studios success with future games. The only small issue I have with the game is the graphical design the developers took. Looking back on trailers and reading article about the game it gave off a vibe of gritty and dark that would benefit from a very realistic graphical approach, unfortunately it comes up short in these aspects, the graphics mimic more of a Bioshock look and some of the colors in game are too bright and eye catching for a game based in a town plagued by corruption and a plague. Overall the game is not something that most people should pass up on, and I can't wait to see the work that Arkane Studios will be putting out form here on out. Expand
  4. Oct 9, 2012
    P.S Sorry for bad english im in a hurry
  5. Oct 9, 2012
    Best game since Half-Life 2 came out. The story is amazing, the stealth gameplay is second-to-none, and the tension and atmosphere are top notch. Highly recommended.
  6. Oct 9, 2012
    Wow. Breath of fresh air. Amazing game, and something NEW for once! Must buy for anyone that is on the fence... it has depth, and some of the most unique gameplay I've ever experienced.
  7. Oct 9, 2012
    While it has a few quirks here and there, Dishonored delivers on almost every admirably/crazily ambitious promise made by its creators. Its impeccably crafted gameplay and exquisitely haunting and detailed world stand in loving tribute to all of the iconic and acclaimed franchises that inspired it, and yet it still has a soul and style all its own.
  8. Oct 9, 2012
    Honestly I am never usually a fan of these type of games, not many games let you choose between stealth and action but this game does. I have played all new releases and lately I have been wondering if the gaming industry can offer something that is different (a change of pace, if you will). Dishonored delivers and though the achievements are a bit 50/50 (for me, because I'm picky on when to use stealth). the game itself is absolutely great. Cannot find a fault with it. I signed up just to recommend it, be open minded when picking it up and you will be impressed. 9/10 (only taking the 1 away for achievements, but it's each to their own, if you are used to being stealthy then it won't be a problem, but I was never a fan of that type of game and this is really the first I've played since Splinter Cell). Expand
  9. Oct 9, 2012
    WOW, all I have to say is that I've never played a game that feels so unique and right at the same time. They perfected it to the point where they want you to feel exactly like they intended it to be; putting you in a situation where anything is nearly possible and you get to do it your own way. The environments in this game could be the greatest thing I've ever seen in gaming. I'm not talking about textures and graphics, but pure detail, to the point where a suit a man is wearing or a room looks like it belongs in a painting. I fell in love with this game 15 minutes after I played it, and that I can't say for many other games I've played. I want to congratulate Arkane Studios for developing such a badass **** game!!! Expand
  10. Nov 6, 2012
    Pretty much open-world, a big plus for any adventurous kind of gamer. A story that is both personal and political, with a dark twist ending that will leave you wrenching and praying for a sequel.
  11. Oct 11, 2012
    WOW!! Ok i'm not finished with the game, only about half way through. First if your a Half-life or portal fan you are going to love this. It has the art and some of the look to Half-life but set in a steam punk world. Additionally yes you can go toe to toe with the bad guys but at a world changing cost. I've been opting for a more pacifictic approach in knocking out or tranking my foe's & not getting busted, or just plane avoidence. This is very difficult but rewarding as you must "Blink" from location to location and not get busted. The whole of the maps are very "puzzle" like and in combination with npc movements require you to truely think and plan your course of action. Stratigy really is the common in this game. Additionally the magic really gives a unique flavor to the experince as it's very different from say Skyrim or Dragonage. It's all ment to be combined and tactical. Magic is also very smooth, not at all sticky. The story so far is fairly compelling although somewhat a "been-there" plot but not enough to be boring. The tech in the game seems to be a mix of Fallout meets Batman, meets the 1790's, which for me is all very cool. Appairently you can go through the whole of the game without killing anyone which is very difficult. I would truely recomend this for anyone who wants a very grim, creepy, Batman/Half-life kind of experience. I think this is going to be a ground-breaking game. Very unique and out of the box thinking went into this. Additionally (not that it really makes a difference) some great voice talents in the game. Also if your an Eldar scrolls player or fallout, get your loot searching into gear. Scaviging is a must. This is a great experience!! Expand
  12. Oct 11, 2012
    When was the last time you played a video game that just let you have fun the way you want to have fun? Dishonored bucks all the trends of an age of games that is dominated by linear shooters and online multiplayer as the only means of achieving any replay value. This is a sandbox assassination game where you can kill everyone - or indeed no-one in a variety of ways. Most players, like myself, will probably strive for a balance of the two, blending the games' sublime stealth system with a combat model that holds up equally as well. This is a game that responds to how you want to play it and that is indeed a rare thing from games of today. Buy this without hesitation now. You will not be disappointed. Expand
  13. Oct 10, 2012
    I could not put this game down. The levels are interesting, the powers are fun, and the story line is enjoyable. If you played batman arkhamill asylum or city and like the dectective mode and stealth fighting, you will love this game.
  14. Oct 10, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic, nothing bad to say about this game. The rpg elements dont hold back the combat, or vise versa. The characters and lore are well thought out, but dont force you to read everything. If you want to just play, that is possible, or if you want a more immersive time, that's possible too.
  15. Oct 11, 2012
    Replaying through this game is a must. Even within the first level I noticed pathways/things that I completely missed the first time through. So great to see what happens when a company puts so much emphasis on a single player game nowadays. Instead of making a sub-par co-op mode or something they have made the most fun single player experience I have played this year....easily.
  16. Oct 11, 2012
    One of the most creative, original and engaging games that I have played in a very long time. I love having the power to choose what path I take and how to handle the various enemies along the way. You should definitely go buy this game immediately if you are a fan of stealth games (or just good video games in general). Easily the best game I have played this year.
  17. Oct 10, 2012
    You can really tell this is an effort from people who were involved with the original Deus Ex and Thief games, and City 17's visual designer. It's the perfect combo; an old school stealth action game with lots of room to explore and get distracted. The universe, characters, environments, and story are all immediately engrossing; one of those rare moments when a new game franchise feels like it's already matured. I won't spoil any more. Give it a whirl. Expand
  18. Oct 18, 2012
    The most problem is that story ends when you want more! Amazing game with unique atmosphere and incredible gameplay. Reminded me Thief series much, and I'm thankful for that.
  19. Oct 11, 2012
    Brilliant game with multiple paths to completing various missions. If you enjoyed games like Deus Ex: HR with it's mission based structure, you'll really like this game. Although it isn't a truly open world game (it may have benefited from this, who knows), it does have a similar feel. The soft RPG elements, and wonderful artistic style give it a very unique feel compared to other games of this generation.

It isn't an entirely flawless game, there a few tiny hitches here and there like being unable to take out lights in certain areas, but as a launch game and the first in the series, you can bet it will only get better in future endeavours. I've given it a 10 for the incredible effort the devs have put into the game and it is really evident.
  20. Oct 15, 2012
    Excellent game if you want you can play in stealth mode or you can play in Rambo mode killing everyone in your path making the next levels more difficult. you have to play this game
  21. Oct 15, 2012
    Great Game. Told a great story and gave you the freedom to decide how the story was told and how it ended. Nice to see real craftmanship in a game. At least two play throughs. I'm already on my second one.
  22. Oct 18, 2012
    Anyone that says this game is only 5 hours is crazy and not playing the game called Dishonored. I am in the last chapter (chapter 11) and so far I have over 23 hours of gameplay. The game allows you so many options and choices for each mission and I have been playing a combination of stealth and brute force and this is the most original game I have played since Bioshock. This game is not for children or for unintelligent people. It is a game for thinkers and for people who who like video games that are for adults. This game is exactly what the video game industry needs: original ideas and new intellectual property. I am tired of remakes and sequels and there is a reason games like this sale a ton and that's because some of us have grown up and we want really smart games with choice and well thought out stories. I love multiplayer as much as the next guy but they are not what changes the industry. It is games like Dishonored! Do your self a favor and play this game. It is so much fun and regardless of how you approach the game you will be amazed! Expand
  23. Oct 12, 2012
    What a gem. This game is everything we want as gamers. It's new, fresh, innovative, and just a damn good time. It doesn't take us for fools and is a smart and well thought out game. Love that you can remove the hud as well. This isn't a game you are supposed to rush through. Take your time, explore, etc. Unbelievably great game.
  24. Oct 12, 2012
    I am in love with this game. It's soooo beautiful and the world is so well made. I love exploring the levels and finding everything it has to offer. I am playing a full stealth game and it's so intense and fun. If I get caught I consider it a failure and reload I haven't had this much fun in a game since Deus Ex: Human Revolution!
  25. Oct 12, 2012
    If you were looking for game that rewards you with creativity and choice, than look no further. Dishonored truly feels like the first game to allow players to do a mission their own way. Your style is your own, there is no wrong or right way to play this game. In the end it's all up to you.
  26. Oct 11, 2012
    Its a great game in world of the same old, this game shows that there is still creativity left. It start slow as you learn the controls and how the world works in general. But with all the things to collect and see the game rewards you at every corner. The gameplay is takes time to master but that to me is a good thing. I love games like this a new IP that take some brain power and skill. Comparing this game to bio shock or anything else is not a respentation of this game. Love the sound and graphic style. At first I was not blown by the graphics but the art style makes me feel totally immersed and the graphics seem to get more impressive as you play. When the sun and moon pop threw trees and buildings the game looks absolutely stunning it really grows on you. The game length is about 20 hours. My first play threw took me 24 hours. I looked for all runes and charms on hard I did not know about the paintings you have to find so I will do a play throught on super hard to find those. So for me this game is the right length. I love this game because its not COD or Halo or uncharted, not to say those are bad games but I love to crack a beer, sit in peace and play something totally new that is not tailored to the 16 year old that takes gaming to seriously trying to prove his toughness to by screeming in his mic. The only let down for me is that there is no Game+ feature and is the only thing that keeps this game from getting a 10 in my book. Why developers take it on them selves to make such decisions in games drives me nuts I would loved to play the early levels all powerd up but Its not a game breaker. Expand
  27. Oct 11, 2012
    Unbelievably well made. What this game was able to achieve is absolutely incredible. Going in I was expecting to be a stealthy character with some cool powers and some freedom but still fairly restricted. What I got instead was a small amount of tools that allowed me to do anything I wanted. I figured the blink power (teleportation) would be confined to certain areas and have a mapped feel to it; I was however, wrong. You want to get up that building? *blink*, *blink*, *blink*, your there. Doing what you want to do in a game has never been this easy in my experience. This was exemplified by the characters jumping. You direct your character to scale a wall, he scales a wall; you direct him to jump then grab something and pull himself up, he does exactly that. These aren't scripted sequences either, you actually find yourself running at something, pressing jump and tapping the climb button right as you are approaching the ledge. The combination of jumping and blinking made the generously large open-hubs so much fun to explore. It became a game of what are the limits, and let me tell you, there are very little.
    The story is an incredibly compelling one and the characters draw you in. An important point is that the individual interactions aren't all that memorable but the way they all connect is. The level of cohesiveness in this game is astounding. Everything feels like it is interlaced and while the individual interactions don't feel like a whole lot, they contribute to the bigger picture. The bigger picture is what I'm talking about when I say the story is compelling and it is what will keep you wanting more and wanting to see what happens next.
    Your character, Corvo, is incredibly well equipped to take on the world with a few weapons and upgrades for them as well as some special weapons. I didn't feel the need to use half of the weapons which was inherent of my gameplay style but the fact that I had options is appreciated.
    While I'd rank other features of the game over this as being a high point the art direction is a pillar that this game really stands on. The oil painting art style mixed with the steam-punk era feel works so well to convey the feeling of tragedy, amazement and beauty all throughout. Although I have only had one play through I will certainly be having more in the near future. The experience as a whole combined with the notion that my second time through could be entirely different than the first is beyond tempting. Bravo to Arkane for such a well made game that offers an amazing concept and a cohesive world.
  28. Oct 13, 2012
    This game has a wonderful campaign and game-play. You truly feel the consequences of your actions and I got really depressed by them at one point. Also you are always tempted to kill the evil military and your targets but you feel that it's better not to do so but sneak and remain unseen (which is a lot harder than shooting them all). Just do not rush some things as you'll get fast in trouble.
  29. Oct 14, 2012
    Although i own the PS3 version i have put the review in this section as the ps3 section is full of biased fanboy ratings, probably down to bethesda messing up the dawngaurd release on ps3, and them being the publisher of this game. Anyway, this game is a breath of fresh air for console releases and makes a change from the generic FPSs that come out on a yearly basis. It has a great setting, great atmosphere and actually makes you care for the characters, especially the young girl that you are sworn to protect. The game lets you tackle your objective how you wish and usually has various routes which you can use, as well as letting you decide if you want to sneak to your target without anyone knowing you are there or blast your way through the front door crossbows blazing. You can even play through the game without killing a single person if you have the willpower.

The game seems takes inspiration from the original bioshock in the way it plays (which isnt a bad thing) but thankfully doesnt have all of the go to here and collect 3 of these before you can progress missions that plagued that game. With the numerous upgradeable powers and weapons available you really can play the game the way you want to, and with different endings depending on how you played, it has plenty of replay value. If you are looking for an action packed game and want a break from the usual modern day shoot em up then you can't go wrong with dishonored. Just remember to save often =p
  30. Oct 14, 2012
    Dishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player to think, to use their noggin, to overcome the obstacles, and while you have many tools at your disposal, it's your choice to decide how you use them and how you make your way through each environment. Do you prefer to kill every enemy in your path with weapons? Do you prefer to take them out through silent means? Or, another possibility and the most gratifying of all, is to make your way through the game without killing a single enemy. Everything's up to you, which is the true beauty of Dishonored. Dishonored's a true "water cooler" game where no two people will play the same and it's fun to talk to others and see how they played through the game. It's a deep game that only asks the player to think for once. Sometimes thinking for yourself can be fun.

Dishonored's art direction is beyond amazing. It's important to note that one of the minds behind the art is Viktor Antonov, who was also the mind behind Half Life 2's City 17. Harvey Smith, Co-creative Director at Arkane Studios, has said that they went for a "water color" look with the game's graphics, which is an apt description. While you won't be blown away by the textures or anything, it's still one of the most beautiful games out there because of its unique aesthetic.

Dishonored is one of those games we rarely see in this day and age. Harvey Smith, known for his work on Deus Ex and Thief, brings his experience from past games to make a new intellectual property that carries the same gameplay principals but puts it in a new and interesting world. This is a game that deserves to be supported. It's a rare and unique experience that no one should miss out on.
  31. Oct 15, 2012
    Game of the year! The story of the game is simple but good.The art style graphics are great and the gameplay is the most fun ive ever had playing a 1st person game. The AI is awesome especially for a game that is action or stealth. The sound in the game is top notch. Dishonored lets you decide on how you want to play from killing someone in a fun and creative way to the stealth approach, its your choice! This is its own game and not like any other, its Dishonored and a must buy! Expand
  32. Oct 12, 2012
    This game would get a 10 out of 10 if it wasn't so short. Simple amazing and fun. Brutal, brutal kills! Finished the game in 6 hours give or take so that was really disappointing.

I have never played a game twice but this one has so much replay value. Great game, good job.
  33. Oct 12, 2012
    A fantastic stealth game and the best since Thief.A ton of playstyle options are available and are most welcome in these days of (shudder) twitch FPS'ers.Dishonored gives you a wealth of tools and upgrades and lets you loose in each level to do as you wish,kill everything or nothing,as well as anything in between.The second and third playthroughs are far superior than your initial time with the game.The story is fine,but could have been more thoroughly explored and a New Game + mode would have been desirable.Though this game doesn't quite reach the majesty of its influences,namely Bioshock,Thief,Deus Ex and Half-Life 2,it is excellent nonetheless. Expand
  34. Oct 12, 2012
    A very gripping game! It sucked me in right from the start and didn't let go. The game is very challenging and makes you examine the environment and enemies before making your move. It allows you to pick several different paths in each level. You can be stealthy or cut a bloody swath through the city of Dunwall. Speaking of which the city of Dunwall and lore behind Dishonored are quite detailed and add to the atmosphere of this steam punk/sci fi world. The game is a ton of fun and will challenge you to creatively dispatch your enemies with the array of powers at your command which include stopping time and summoning a swarm of rats to devour helpless guards. Dishonored is one of the best surprises in gaming this year! Expand
  35. Oct 24, 2012
    The Telegraph review pretty much sums up this games qualities. It is a truly refreshing experience, a game that is actually intelligent and where choices have consequences. FPS fan boys may not appreciate its finer qualities...guess some folks prefer tequila shots to a fine sipping bourbon or single malt scotch. This game resembes the latter.
  36. Oct 14, 2012
    60 FPS. Has a pretty strong learning curve to really appreciate how to handle certain situations. Read the rest of the reviews they will tell you what else you need to know.
  37. Oct 13, 2012
    Very rarely does a game come along that really and truly works on every level. Dishonored is that game this year. Its an amazingly unique game that is also familiar, its part Thief part Bioshock part Deus Ex with little dashes of Fable and Fallout thrown in for good measure. This game excels on every promise it made, I have bounced back and forth between total stealth and all out madman in the same level, and had a blast each time. It makes me really excited to go back and go for the total stealth and no kill playthrough. In fact this game really encourages multiple playthoughs, and for a fun and enjoyable reason. Some games just let you play again with all your items (Batman), or on a new difficulty (Shadows of the Damned), or to get all the collectibles (Alan Wake), but Dishonored one does none of that. The whole purpose of playing again, is because it will be a drastically different game if you switch up your style. Going through as a stealthy assassin and killing who get in your way, provides a different ending, a different world, and different attitudes in the enemies. Playing through as a ghost and killing no one, opens up different paths, results in less guards later, and a different ending. On my first play through, I hacked and slashed and shot and conjured up magic to defeat everyone. As I got near the end of the game, the enemies had wisened up a bit. I could no longer trick them into going through a rewired Wall of Light (an electrified wall that only the enemies can pass through, unless you hack it). I had to come up with a new approach. When getting in a big fight with multiple enemies I would Blink (a feature that allows you to teleport) up on top of stuff to hide. After pulling that off and attacking from above too many times, they started looking for me up top in the later levels. So I again had to think on my feet to make sure I wouldn't get killed. These happen in just one playthrough, and result in levels that drastically change while in them. The total stealth playthrough is going to feel so amazingly different. I have already done parts of levels in total stealth, and it is truly exciting fearing that you will be seen, or an unconscious body will be found, or you will knock a bottle over and alert them. It is truly amazing and wonderful. The last games to fill me with this much excitement were Fallout 3 and Bioshock, and just like in those games, there are moments of amazing beauty hidden in this dark and ugly world.

Should you buy this game? Absolutely. But just like like this game, that choice is up to you. Make the right choice.

Visit our site: www.ChurchOfAtom.com for more gaming and movie reviews to come. As well as our articles about Urban Exploring and our podcast.
  38. Oct 10, 2012
    This is the game we all wanted an unique game with great art style graphic great AI and the best of all unique gameplay you can play like you want if you want sneaky you can you want action/FPS you can and thats why this game rules and probably win some game of the year award becaouse like CVG said its the best game in this generation.A perfect 10 from me. P.S Sorry for bad english im in a hurry
  39. Oct 12, 2012
    I am having a really good time with this game. It reminds me of System Shock and Deus Ex but definnitely has its own personality and style. You have so much control over how you proceed with your objectives its crazy. This is a game that demands exploration and experimentation. I definitely recommend it.
  40. Jun 20, 2013
    One of the best games out there its so fun to play it can make you cry.I hope there going to be dishonored 2 because we could use another one I never kept my copy of this so i'm mad at my self.
  41. Oct 21, 2012
    Just an amazing game! Visually the game is unbelievable, I stopped more times in this game to admire the art direction, enviorments, etc. than I can count. This game nails immersion and atmosphere, perfectly. Great sound design. The gameplay is excellent, and the combat is fluid - and the different ways you can dispatch enemies and complete missions, gives nice replay value to an otherwise linear game. I know I'm going to do a second playthrough. Highly recommended, especially if you're a fan of the Deus Ex and Thief games. Expand
  42. Oct 23, 2012
    Well, there is one main point you should know about this game. Because many people will love the game for it. Other will trash it because of this feature. The huge portion of the game is made by the side locations (whole areas, that you do not have to visit at all), many paths to the target (but you have to use just one of them) and huge amount of details (journals, books, letters, or whispers about every npc or location) that can be missed or ignored. So basically quality of this game depends on your favorite gamepplay style. If you like to explore, look for the details and enjoy the world and freedom you will love this game. It can offer you over 20+hours of gameplay and it is real gem. If you like to play "to the point" and just go to finish your mission, you may be able to finish it under 5 hours (Im not talking speedrun here!) and dont see anything special. If you for example choose COD play style, the shooting is actually less fun that in other FPS games. So if you are this kind of player, you will be dissapointed. Expand
  43. Oct 16, 2012
    A truly masterful title that really lets you see how your choices effect how the rest of the game will play out, the gameplay is just awesome, unlocking new powers and abilities and experimenting with them and trying to find new ways to get through levels or new ways to take out enemies. Dishonored is all about choice, want to sneak past every guard and not kill anyone? You can. Want to just go berserk and murder everyone? You can. The combat and the powers also feel very solid, and so does the stealth, sneaking around feels great just as it should. Taking many cues from games like Thief and Bioshock, Dishonored is one of the best games to come out this year and anyone who remotely likes stealth games should go out and purchase this game ASAP Expand
  44. Oct 19, 2012
    I have been playing Dishonored non-stop for the past week, it is extremely refreshing and a blast to play. You definitely see the Bethesda elements here and damn are they good. This game is by no means perfect but it brings a new twist to gaming that I think most anyone will enjoy. - Story (8): the story gets going right away and I don't want to spoil anything so I won't go into details. It is easy to follow, at times a bit bland and similar to other things we've seen, but it keeps you going. The conversations and voice acting are great and the plot can change depending on your choices/actions. - Graphics (8): The Graphics are not the strong point of Dishonored, but they get the job done and present the Victorian style scenery very well. London in this time period is an ideal place for this game and even though it won't stress your card the graphics and surroundings suck you in and make you feel directly involved. - Sound (10): I fully enjoy the background music, voice acting, and all the sound effects from weapons and skills. At times the sound sets a dreary mood and makes the whole thing more enticing. - Gameplay (10): An absolute 10 here, the gameplay is truly awesome and the best aspect of Dishonored. Whether you want to be "stealthy" or not, you are presented with numerous options and abilities that alter your course in the game. Duel wielding weapons, skills such as blink where you can travel to spots unreachable by jumping, or the many bone charms that give you other special perks, all of it is useful and rewarding. Finding schematics and applying upgrades is also extremely pleasing, along with powering up skills depending on what works for you. Depending on how you choose to play there are tons of pathways and choices at your disposal. - Endgame (8): Other than replaying for a different style of play I'd say that the endgame is a bit lacking. I really wish Dishonored was longer and took many hours to complete but that's just not the case. You will find yourself finishing in 10-15 hours and feeling pretty satisfied after your first play through, except if you went totally "non-stealth" and desire to do so. Overall (44/50 = 9): I am certainly glad I purchased Dishonored for the PC and played it all the way through. The entire time it felt rewarding and I loved sneaking my way to the next area and planning my next move. Expand
  45. Oct 17, 2012
    Depends on the gameplay style, Dishonored shows its real values. If run & gun COD style then probably you would complete the game within 8hrs or less and feel some disappointment about its length. But Dishonored is not to be played like that - this title shows its superb qualities with a slower, stealthy walkthrough, while forcing you to plan every step in advance and offering many benefits coming from exploration - above all, you collect the runes & amulets which are a key issue to gain/improve your special assassin skills, furthermore you can find money and many valuable items, which can be spent for equipment/weaponry upgrades afterwards. The stealth gamplay itself is exciting, challenging and can be fulfilled with thrilling encounters with your foes - here there are many ways to get rid of your enemies, with creative kills and bodies disposal afterwards. Obviously you can go into open fights, but to act like a "ghost", kill or knock senseless each foe step by step and remove/dispose their bodies afterwards is much more fun and challenging. Ive clocked more than 10hrs in the game and currently Im in the 4th mission; For sure one of the best games of 2012 Expand
  46. Oct 24, 2012
    For those who enjoy games, not products. While the game itself doesn't necessarily warrant a sixty dollar purchase, it is just a game that should really be played. Buy it, rent it, just do whatever to get a chance to play it. While the game isn't as fleshed out as possible, it contains as much player choice as the first BioShock. Nothing is scripted, and you actually don't have to kill anyone in the game to beat it. Highly recommended. Expand
  47. Oct 16, 2012
    An amazing game!
    The city of Dunwall and is beautifully crafted and feels so alive. (Well, aside from the plague victims, that is)
    But like I said, the setting is interesting, and the game itself is a lot of fun to play. The various ways to get to and kill (or not kill) a target are fun to play out. And although the story is a bit of a cliché with the whole "Get revenge and
    everything will fix itself." it still kept me interested.

And the reason I didn't give this game a 10?
    Well, it's for petty and small reasons for the most part. I mean, the game felt...short. I would have loved to explore more of Dunwall and meet or have more targets to hunt after. I also would've loved to know more about the city and its people, and not just through books. And honestly the "character" I liked the most was the Heart that told you about the city, I didn't feel all that connected to anyone else.

And finally, the lights.
    Why couldn't you destroy them? Or at least pull a switch or destroy a whale oil tank to make them go out.
    It is a small thing, I know. But I kind feel that something like that belongs in a stealth game.
  48. Oct 16, 2012
    It is an innovative game like few others, with gameplay away from the archetypes of FPS ever. It also has a variety of missions to solve, a graphic section is excellent and a very fun game that is really important. We can say that this game deserves to be ahead of RE6 in sales, and I hope so, because the differences in quality between a title and another is evident.
  49. Oct 16, 2012
    One of my favorite games of the year. Other than what has already been said the game allows you to choose your upgrades to fit your playing style first and become stronger second. Not at any moment do you feel underpowered if you decide to take one path over another. The approach to how you complete missions is also a huge plus with stealth, guns blazing or anything in between available to you at any moment. I look foward to going back to each level and trying different approaches to see how the missions play out. Expand
  50. Nov 18, 2012
    Playing this game feels great. The textures and colors are uncommon yet very good looking and the atmosphere is just as good. The sanbox gamepleay may not be the best but it's satisfying to see such a open and variate options through the game It was really good
  51. Nov 25, 2012
    Dishonored is an incredible game. The stealth/action fusion, mixed with steampunk technology, is irresistible. It is a huge game, and even after beating it, I went and started again so that I could go through the game in a different way. A true masterpiece.
  52. Dec 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dishonored is a Game of the Year candidate for a reason. Its amazing great graphics excellent storyline and it has multiple outcomes depending your course of action Expand
  53. Dec 14, 2012
    Great stealth elements. I like how they catched the feeling from the Half-Life series. The different approaches to each mission gives a lot of replayability. The steampunk setting is refreshing, and as the debut of the franchise it's an awesome entry.
  54. Oct 19, 2012
    Multiple-choice approaches, large levels, great design, fun core gameplay and meaningful decisions are some of the factors that make this a great game. It's not perfect - no game is - but it's an awesome breath of fresh air compared to most big-title games. Best stealth game in a very long time.
  55. Jan 7, 2013
    This game is an innovative marvel and should be rated in the 90's on metacrtic. I haven't seen a better game even close this year. I love that you can play this game in a multitued of ways from pure stealth, to pure guns ablazin, to a combination platter of the two. As well, the overall artistic style is so subtletly done to perfection with hints of comic book, steampunk, and high saturation. None of it is in your face and is all maintained at an exquisite. Suffice it to say, I love this game. Expand
  56. Oct 21, 2012
    A very good homage to the Thief trilogy. Involving world, interesting story, dark vibe. Coming a bit short on the gameplay - the protagonist is WAY too much powerful. Some of the abilities make the game a walk in the park, but the story and surroundings make up for it and you want more and more. The "chaos" mechanic is buggy and the ending doesn't depend on the major decisions you have made during the game, but on a simple kill count. That was a bit disappointing (it gave me a "bad" ending while sparing almost all of my major targets). I'm an explorer and it took me over 10h to finish the game so the length is very decent. Overall a great, great game. Sincere recommendation. Expand
  57. Oct 21, 2012
    When I looked the release list for games this year I had a few on my radar but Dishonoured (UK spelling) was not even close until I read a review. I finally picked it up yesterday and WOW what a game. I've been playing Borderlands 2, FIFA 13 and PES 2013 for the past couple of weeks but they have been gathering dust since I popped this game into the drive. The negative reviews people are giving it on here aren't justified. This is one awesome game. The controls are tight, the graphics are stylish and the progression of your powers are spot on. The story is tight as well and the characters you meet have personalities. You can't just jump in to a fight, you need to plan ahead or you will die. It's not an FPS it's more like Batman Arkham City. You need to find the best way to move ahead. Do you try and take enemies on or find a way round them. I can't remember a game that gives you so much choice. You have to be patient with Dishonoured but if you do it's one of the best games I've played this generation and easily the best this year. Buy this game and support originality. Expand
  58. Nov 26, 2012
    Bioshock's "Jack" and Mirror's Edge's "Faith" got together and had a baby. His name is Corvo Attano. This game is outstanding. It let's the player feel like the ultimate spy/assassin.

The good: The weapons, powers, upgrades, gadgets are all outstanding and allow the player to take many different approaches to how they play (my first playthrough was a bloodbath; I have not killed a
    single person in my second, nor have I been detected). Also, the side missions and power-ups (in the form of runes and bone charms) encourage the player to explore the area and sneak into places otherwise avoided. Each area/mission also has plenty of entry ways (though the obvious ones ((expectedly)) are well guarded, so searching for a bit longer and thinking creatively can be well worth the time), and I always find myself planning an approach, only to see something new and replan and repeat. This game offers so much diversity that the replay value is through the roof. Many people say this game is too easy. Yes, if you do not mind killing everyone in your path and help spread the plague that is ravaging the city. But stealth offers a much cleaner progression, though it is MUCH more difficult. But what do gamers play for if not a challenge? My point: this game is as challenging as the player wants it to be.

The bad:
    The textures can sometimes be poor, though overall the graphics are up to par. The story and characters (besides heir-to-the-throne Emily) are pretty bland (but to be honest, this game is more about the missions and gameplay than the story). Corvo, the protagonist, has no personality besides his love for Emily (but in some ways, I enjoyed that because I never said "Well, this doesn't seem like something Corvo would do."). The real interesting bits do not seem fully fleshed out (Granny Rags, the Outsider, Daud). The real deep background comes from books found in the world, which can entertain hardcore fans and bore anything less than that. The plot seemed overly predictable, and the heart can actually assist in spoiling some things for a mind that can put two and two together.

Though it has its flaws, Dishonored is one of the best games I have played. It combines outstanding environments and mission layouts with an array of skills, weapons, and gadgets that allow the player to approach situations with infinite options. The replay value is very high, and I see myself playing this game for years.
  59. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is great. Weather you are slaying everyone in site or sneaking past everyone without killing a soul, this game delivers. The story is a simple tale of reclaiming your honor through revenge with some predictable twists here and there, but the story is great and regardless of bringing the city to the brink of destruction or keeping it and yourself under control, every ending is great. The game changes 2 of the missions every play through which are both my favorites, but the other missions provide there own challenges in the form of numerous paths of varying difficulties depending on how you build your character or in what ways you are limiting yourself in your play-through. If you kill every one and every target the final missions change to reflect the fear your targets have, while playing mercifully will leave the more wide open and easier to finish off. The Powers I found varying in usefulness. My first run was pure stealth with no kills, no powers beside blink level 1, and no detection, and it offered me a unique way of playing that required thought and lots of saving. My second run lead me to learn that Blink and Dark Vision are very useful while Agility is decent and the rest of the powers I used were novel at best, but that was because of how I played. Even when killing everyone I kept to the shadows at times waiting for the moment to strike.

The levels are all very different besides the 2nd and 3rd which share there first sections, but have unique areas in which to kill the target(s). The time of day varies which will try and force you to adapt a different style of play depending on how hard or easy it is to hide. The upgrades range for useful to pointless, and unfortunately none will help the merciful assassin besides 2 to maybe 4, but when it comes to combat they can really change the game.

My only problem with this game is that new play-throughs overwrite the replay mission stats of other play-throughs. This means that that run through where you hadn't spent any upgrade points on supernatural powers until the last level allowing for you to approach the finally with any combination of powers was overwritten by the time you spent them all. Same goes for mission clear stats. You really proud of completing the game without being seen or killing anyone? Hope you aren't planning on replaying the game without taking some screen caps first.

As for the game overall, it's quite possibly my favorite title of the year and I look forward to the major DLC coming in the Spring.
  60. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is a cross between Thief and BioShock. Overall there is very little to complain about. This is an excellent start to the series. The ability to do things stealthily or guns blazing is great. The powers seem pretty cool and unique. The environment and story is different and interesting. I didn't experience any issues playing the game at all. The length of the game is a little short compared to other games but given the story I think it was perfect. Some games stretch out the story to make the game longer and it shows with dull levels. With this game it is long enough to convey the story without levels that are tedious or dull.

The only complaint I have against this game are the achievements. Firstly it looked like I was playing Dues Ex all over again with some of the achievement names. Secondly some of the achievements just seem stupid to me. One of the achievements has you play the entire game without using any powers or equipment upgrades. Why would the developers put all the time and money into building this stuff in just to create an achievement saying you cannot use them?? One of the stupidest achievements ever. It's like an RPG that says you cannot level up or an FPS that says you have to use the pistol. Achievements should reward you for playing a consistent or different way. Not punish you for using the features that are supposed to make the game fun and different. Additionally the achievements mandate that you play through more than once. I fail to see why devs feel their games are so awesome that everybody has to play through it more than once. There are very, very few games worth playing more than once for many, many reasons. So don't punish us by making us play your game again. It isn't as much fun the second time through.

The only other thing that I found to be odd was the side missions. At the beginning of the game you get a couple of side missions. Then nothing through most of the game and a final side mission at the end. The side missions are interesting until themselves but this isn't an RPG and they just feel out of place compared to the rest of the game. They don't really add anything but they don't distract either.

Overall a great game if you like BioShock, Thief or Dues Ex then pick this one up. If you are an FPS person then this game isn't for you.
  61. Nov 16, 2012
    Amazing game! I had high hopes for this title Pre-Launch and it lived up to it for me. Which very few games do these days. A beautiful World with great characters that were wonderfully voice acted. Top that with great game play mechanics that took inspiration from some wonderful predecessors, all brought to you with original art style and solid controls. I hope this game inspires more companies to take a risk on more new IP's instead of spoon feeding us sequels each year. Expand
  62. Dec 27, 2012
    This is a game that was hyped up, and for good reason. It has unique graphical style, a cool blend of stealth and action, and even a moral choice system. Want to speed through a zone slaughtering and pillaging everything in sight? You can do that. Or would you rather take a more stealthy or nonlethal approach, using tranquilizers and knocking enemies unconscious? You can do that too. This game is a true 10 out of 10, with the highest marks in all categories. If there was one small gripe I had with this game, it's that it was too short, maybe a bit too linear, with not many of the promised sandbox elements. Those are minor gripes, though. If you haven't played this game yet, you should buy it. It's a great addition to anyone's game library. Expand
  63. Mar 26, 2013
    A perfect game, If you wished you had Assassin's Creed type assassinations and excellent fps type controls in one game, Then Dishonored is for you. It expertly mashes a beautiful story with fun combat and worth it upgrades that so few games have. The only problem is that there is not enough stealth upgrades, Sure you get a silent walking upgrade, But i would like some better sword upgrades for stealth. Expand
  64. Apr 12, 2013
    Sure the story is short but where this game is at its greatest is its replay value didn't want to kill anyone in one mission but did replay it. My point is that giving the control to the player means it can be fun for however long you want.
  65. Dec 22, 2013
    The thousand ways to complete a part of a mission make this game the best Videogame ever when it comes to pure gameplay, while the Talks between Guards, the look of the city and more make this game the best Videogame ever when it comes to pure atmosphere. Sadly the story is only a 7/10, aswell as the graphics, but the most important (the Gameplay itself) is kinda like a 20/10, which makes me giving this game a 10/10. Last drop of bitterness: The game is too short and waaay to easy (even on hardest grade), exspecially if you try to stealth.
    The playagainworth is phenomenal: First time=stealthy, but fighting-not every side mission/rune, Second time=stealthy+every mission for complete run, Third time=aggressive or stealthy, but killing many people for different ending and experience, fourth time=nihilistic, stealt, no kill & every side-mission, fifth run=different magics for different experience, etc.
    I have worked a long time to finally have 90% of all achievments and can just say best gameplay ever. The handle of the weapons and magics are just perfect and after 2 hours you just feel like corvo and use the magic you want in the right way at the right time, to get through a hidden way into the building. Whoa!
    10/10 for sure and a must-have for stealth-gamers and fans of Deus Ex or Hitman, but I would say even for aggressive gamers like CoD to for the great feeling of the sword-battle and more.
  66. Mar 28, 2013
    Good investment. I had a lot of fun with it. It was the first game in a very long time which I replayed right after finishing my first walk through. While a narrow environment, you still have a number of options on how to approach the missions. Some of the abilities you receive are very mighty and make the game play unnecessary easy, but by declining them the second time, the challenges are quite right. Visuals are good, atmosphere and some elements remind a lot of Thief 3 which is a good thing from my perspective. Expand
  67. Aug 2, 2013
    Gameplay is amazing, as is the whole steampunk setting. It felt like a mix between Bioshock (really atmospheric, and the Powers are sort of similar to Plasmids), Hitman (main focus of the game is assassinations) and Deus Ex (open world, different routes available, choice between stealth and carnage.)

Main problem is the length (I completed it in just over 2 days, admittedly I spent all
    weekend playing it. Also, it would have been nice to be able to replay the game with the upgrades you earned on your last playthrough (New Game Plus.) Expand
  68. Apr 13, 2014
    This game is a true delight for any stealth fan. Not a bad little runner for action/combat fans too. To my eternal shame I missed this game first time. Borrowed it, played it for an hour, just didn't get it. After Adam Sesslers review of Thief I decided to give Dishonored a try a couple of years later. And loved it. Everything works. Gameplay, story, stealth mechanichs, magic and combat are all perfectly balanced. Expand
  69. Oct 29, 2012
    These days, I'm already thrilled by a game that just let's me play. This one offers me the option to play like I want. Being stealthy gives you the best endings, being an assassin might not give you a great ending but it's fun to make some creative kills. Most games only offer you the illusion of choice (yes Bioware, I'm looking at ME3 and Dragon Age 2) I've been let down by a lot of big game series and it has become rather rare that game studios are willing to take risks. This game is by no means perfect but If you are looking for a game that doesn't make you feel like it has been dumbed down for a 6-14 yo target audience by marketing boys, look no further. Expand
  70. Feb 13, 2013
    Probably the best game I played in 2012, I love how the game uses its art style and the story telling is amazingly well done, the game is very immersive and overall a great game.

Only problem is the game is quite short, it has multiple endings but you want more after.
  71. Mar 5, 2013
    Well done Bethesda you utter bastards for tricking me again. Time after time they show games that look good but I very rarely buy, however when I do it ends up being crap like Brink and I end up overlooking brilliant games like RAGE and Dishonoured.
    Corvo Attano is an assassin for the Empress of Dunwall, a city riddled with crime, scum and a deadly plague spread by rats. When Corvo
    returns from an unsuccessful search for a cure to the plague the Empress is assassinated, her daughter and heir to the throne taken and you are accused for the crime. 6 months of jail time later and with a little assistance you escape to hunt down the power hungry aristocrats of Dunwall to gain information on the heirs whereabouts, take her back and no longer be dishonoured, however the roots of evil and corruption run deep in the streets of Dunwall so this will be no easy task.
    Dishonoured at its heart is a stealth game, however it can be played as a melee focussed action game, requiring you to mix sword attacks, magic powers and ranged weaponry such as crossbows pistols to take down your foes. The game lasts around 6-7 hours which is disappointingly short however these hours are insanely good fun.
    Dont be put off by the length or the stealth focused gameplay if that isn't your thing because Dishonoured is easily one of the best games of 2012.
  72. Feb 18, 2013
    Starting to play this game at the start I knew this was gonna be a good enough game, but when you escape the prison you will fall in love with this game. You play as Corvo who is the bodyguard of the Empress who gets murdered by assasins. After been acused for killing the Empress you go to prison and the games story just more interesting. Another thing I love about this game is that is ho you choice of taking out your foes like killing everyone you see with the power of spawning rats to devour your foes or not kill a single soul (I did I it of sneak killing but mainely not killing anyone) and it all affects the ending. Only flaw is stealth is a little messed up and needs bit of fixes. But overall Dishonored is the Bioshock and Assassins Creed met and make this and hope for some type of sequel. Dishonored 9.2/10 Expand
  73. Dec 17, 2013
    One of Top 5 games on this generation. More freedom on gameplay than almost any other game out there. Graphics and style are awesome, really artistic. There are so many ways to go trough this game that one walktrough is totally different from another. You have to own this game and play it over and over again.
  74. Mar 19, 2013
    Dishonored feels like a game that inherits 75% of its history from Thief and 25% from a mix of System Shock/Bio Shock games. As such its certainly a first person game, and you can shoot guns but I would personally not call it a "first person shooter'.

I almost didn't buy this game based off of some reviews, but I took a chance and I was well rewarded. Much of the depth of this game
    comes from playing it the way you want your character to work and how you want the end game outcome to be influenced.

If you are simply playing the game to beat each level as fast as possible the game will certainly feel short. You can hit the primary objectives in quite a few levels relatively quickly. Mow down a few guards with your guns and knives and complete the objective next level up.

If however you want to play a more stealthily game and play towards certain goals; like no one being alerted/alarmed during a level or completing a level with minimal (or perhaps no) deaths you can do that as well. This may require you to take the rooftop route, and find a secret back balcony entrance to the building instead of a front door but the designers will reward this alternate route taking with story interjections that you would otherwise miss, extra loot, and some times even side-quests.

Whichever route you take you can upgrade your character similar to system shock bio shock with steampunk like upgrades to your characters abilities and equipment. Want to stabilize your cross bow and improve its range and damage? No problem. Want to be more stealthy and have bodies dissapear in a puff of smoke to leave no trail for your enemies to discover? Earn enough points and these skills will be yours.

My personal feeling is Dishonored is a top notch game for what it wants to be: a worthy fusion sucessor to the Thief/Bio Shock genre.

For those people looking only for a run and gun shooter it is going to feel a bit of a disappointment. Some of those players may make the switch in mentality early in the game and find themselves having fun anyways. Otherwise if you dislike anything that doesn't focus purely on action you might pass this up or wait until its on sale so you don't feel cheated.
  75. Oct 27, 2012
    Short, but Sweet. This game is well written with an intriguing game world filled with interesting characters. However the gameplay is where this game shines. Very open ended either power&shooting everyone or sneaking by and knocking out guards in your way. Even after beating the game I went back to other missions compelled to complete them differently to get different outcomes. Everyone should play this game Expand
  76. Nov 2, 2012
    Dishonored, is this years best game. And this years underdog. That being, because quite possibly this game is amazing, but was released at the wrong time making it one of those "niche" games that get buried under the wrong due to the bigger budget AAA games. That being said, that doesn't mean this game doesn't have its own style that makes it a standout among the played out AAA sequels, and rehashes. No, instead Dishonored is one of the best story-games I have played. A stealth game, or a bloddy mashup of being an Assassin. The game does right with it's free-world that you can walk around while being pushed through a linear area to complete a mission. Each level, doesn't feel like a level, but instead a highly-polished area that acts a sandbox. Take path, a,b,c, or make your own path. This game is extraordinary not only in the Steam Punk thematic style, but the overall mechanics of this game flow really well together. The gameplay may feel a little rigid at times, but that is compensated for with the games ability to allow you complete freedom of controlling the way you kill enemies, and solve things. If killing isn't your thing, then you don't have to. The storyline aspect of the game, may feel a little strung together, but overtime it grows on you and makes total sense. It's one hell of a game, with plenty of replay ability. Take it from me, buy this game! Expand
  77. Dec 11, 2012
    It is very refreshing to play this game. At its heart, it is a familiar FPS, but its unique setting and art style turn it into something quite special. The effort hasn't gone into trying to innovate graphics or multiplayer modes, it's gone into making an amazing universe which is a delight to play. It's a breath of fresh air into a very stale genre.
  78. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is probably the best new IP since Asassins creed . I think the game play is its best asset . They created an awesome world with interesting characters and brilliant story . everything in this game is fresh and its story is enthralling from the moment you played it to the end. Cant wait to see what they do with this series.
  79. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a game that not only uses quick thinking but also a wide display of weapons, whether the story line is obvious or not, it is made a complex game that makes you think. I see that most of the critics on this website, either do not play video games, or they are whiny people that don't like the challenges of games. Play Timeshift and if you like it, you have a right to comment on these types of games, otherwise keep them to yourself! Expand
  80. Jan 16, 2013
    This game makes me proud to be a gamer.

Its a new IP but its a "spiritual sequel" to the thief series... the best fpsstealth games ever made.

Its well writte, good dialog, great art, and enough lore to keep you wanting Dishonored 2 :)

Buy this game
  81. Jan 18, 2013
    Certainement le jeu de l'année. Il n'est pas le plus beau mais l'ambiance qu'il s'en dégage avec des moments mémorables qui resteront longtemps, vivement le deux.
  82. Jan 25, 2013
    I had to log on after reading the negative reviews. These trolls have obviously never played a Bethesda game before. This game was amazing. If you like stealth games that reward you if you take your time, you will love this game.
  83. Feb 5, 2013
    Il gioco ha una trama originale, l' ambientazione curata e Londra del 1800 ha un fascino incredibile affiancata alla tecnologia dei nostri tempi. L' approccio stealth il più divertente e i poteri sono equilibrati, i checkpoint sono frequenti, peccato per una grafica non molto dettagliata, ma il gioco resta ottimo.
  84. Feb 10, 2013
    Introduction
    If I’m honest, I didn’t know what to expect when I picked up this game. I’d heard a lot of praise given to it and decided to give it a try. You play as Corvo, a trusted bodyguard to the empress and her daughter Emily. But then things get nasty when the empress is murdered, her daughter’s kidnapped and you’re thrown into prison framed for her Fortunately, some nice fellows
    help break you out and recruit you as an assassin to get revenge on the guys who ruined your life. The Game
    Over the course of the game you’ll encounter ‘the outsider’. This guy gives you special powers such as teleportation and rat summoning…pretty cool huh?
    The game itself looks amazing! From dark and dingy sewers, to aristocratic house parties, you get a real sense of atmosphere as you stalk your way through the games nine missions. The real highlight of the game is the gameplay itself. Dishonored gives you freedom to choose how you kill your targets. Do you stealthily kill them from behind? Do you run head-on and shoot them? Or do you melt them in a sauna? There is so much variety in this game that I immediately started another playthrough when I finished first time. Also, there are a ton of collectables to find such as runes to upgrade your powers and bone charms, which add slight alteration to Corvo himself. Conclusion
    Overall, this game is VERY well done. The first person camera adds to the adrenaline you feel as you sneak around areas hiding from passing guards and looking around for vantage points to get the drop on them. Although nine missions may not sound a lot, they are by no means short missions. The game inspires multiple playthroughs with many different ways to accomplish your tasks. Although I do wish there was a new game plus option to let me replay the missions with all the powers I acquired during the first playthrough. If you rush through this game, then you’d be missing out on a great gaming experience.
    Dishonored gets an excellent 9/10
  85. Feb 14, 2013
    I knew, going in, that the game was crafted using the Unreal 3 engine; however, Dishonored looks like it was made in Source. There’s a tell-tale “dustiness” to the colors and textures, and a simple elegance fueling the stylized fire that falls solidly within the purview of Valve’s eight-year-old darling. It adds to the character of Dunwall and its denizens, just as much as the body dimorphism does. Drawn, gaunt faces are severely drawn and gaunt; angular chins and noses look fashioned out of steel-work; and round noses are comically bulbous but still there’s an underlying realism that sells the visuals. Dishonored doesn’t try to compete on detail, instead relying on the intelligent use of creamy colors, highly stylized character art, and brilliant lighting. The game looks as if Tim Burton commissioned, and then oversaw a Norman Rockwell oil painting. It’s enchanting, and it’s used to tell us all sorts of things about the world… but more on that, later.

The diversity in mission locations is excellent, as well. From falling down industrial districts and whiskey distilleries, to sewers, to towers and palaces, to fortresses and brothels you’ll never grow tired of creeping through the nine chapters. All the while, the soft touch of the graphics applies appropriate amounts of grime and polish where needed, unifying these disparate locations into a single, believable cityscape. This diversity is reflected in your enemies, as well. One minute you’ll be aiming for the High Overseer, battling his masked religious zealots, and the next you’ll be taking out the Town Guard to get to aristocratic twins. Back alley gangs and a clandestine cadre of assassins will also give you plenty of trouble. Provided how unfortunately short the game is, you’d never be able to tell based on this clean, deep presentation.

The gameplay is just as poetic. For my first play-through, I went non-lethal/stealth. I was determined to make sure no one saw me, and everyone was left alive, if a little worse for wear. I wasn’t afraid of confrontation, I just made sure it was on my terms, often intentionally seeking villains out to subdue, so I could have my run of the place without worrying about anyone spotting me, because they were all unconscious Had I wanted to, I could have avoided everyone, stuck to the rooftops, and not touched a single soul but the high value targets each mission is based around. Or I could have carved a bloody swath through Dunwall in just as many ways…

If you favor gadgets, you’ll find a array of tinkered items that would make any engineer jealous grenades, pistols, shrapnel traps, explosive bullets, incendiary crossbow darts, sticky bombs and they’re all upgradable. Some you’ll need to search out blueprints for, but even on my stealth play-through, where I was far more concerned with staying out of view, I encountered several as a matter of course. If you prefer a more supernatural approach, you have nine distinct “spells,” gifts from the Outsider, from which to choose some offensive, such as Devouring Swarm, which summons a pack of ravenous rats to consume enemies; and Bloodlust, which allow you to store up power and then unleash it in a storm of steel, blood, and guts. Or, you can use others that aid you in more subtle ways, like Possession, which does exactly what it says; or Dark Vision, which gives you the power to see through walls.

Verdict: ++Good (9.5 out of 10) Though not a sandbox title at it’s core, Dishonored successfully introduces sandbox elements to the FPS genre (much like its spiritual predecessors Thief and Deus Ex) while maintaining a focused purpose and plot. You really only have two outcomes to choose from (lethal, or non-lethal) for any given mission, but the way in which you get there is entirely in your hands. The powers, weapons, and gadgets are fun and diverse, and the city of Dunwall is exquisitely rendered and realized. Though the plot is predictable and rather short, the visual narration and player influence come together to make Dishonored a lesson the industry can learn from.
  86. Jun 4, 2013
    Una vez mas nos demuestran que no hacen falta excelentes gráficos para de genial un juego. En este caso, la historia y otras cosas que diré mas abajo es lo que convierte a este juego en lo mejor que cada uno puede tener en su catalogo. Dishonored. Bueno este juego está ambientado en una época victoriana. Ese sería el contexto de la oscura historia que nos ofrecen. Nuestro personaje se llama Corvo. El se encarga de proteger a la emperatriz y a la realeza. Después de volver de una misión una conspiración se torna en su contra por un crimen que el no cometió y no le queda otra mas que escapar. Mientras transcurre el juego la historia aumenta en intereses y giros simples pero que dan bronca. También a través de libros,notas o diálogos podremos ir conociendo mejor la historia de lo que paso en una ciudad que ahora esta llena de ratas y pestes. Dishonored es un FPS pero a diferencia de los demás es que nos permite explorar todo y acabar nuestra misión de distintas maneras ya sea por distintos lugar, suelo,techos ,ventanas,etc. La verdad que eso me gusto demasiado, ir por cualquier lugar ya que diferentes caminos se terminan conectando en uno solo. El sigilo es como el plato fuerte, podes estar todo una misión sin que te descubran y pasar misiones SIN matar(Algo que yo nunca hice ya que cuando me hacía el sigiloso siempre pasaba algo que me descubrían). En este juego se usa mucho la táctica ya que no podes hacerte el copado y ir a matar a todos a lo Rambo porque vienen varios y te hacen mierda ya que si te de descubren hacen sonar una alarma y caen como 20 soldados a atacar y tengas lo que tengas no resultara fácil vencerlos. Corvo es un personaje muy ágil y poderoso, es un gran asesino. Cuenta con poderes "mágicos" o "sobrenaturales" que nos sirven para defensa, táctica al atacar, tele transportarnos unos cuantos metros, invocar a las mismas ratas para que nos ayuden, etc. También con un arsenal chico desde armas de fuego y flecha, hasta granadas y otra cosa que no me acuerdo como se llama. A lo largo del juego podremos ir juntando plata, talismanes y runas que nos sirven para: Comprar mejorar arsenal, Darte algún que otro tipo de "mini-poderes" y mejorarte/adquirir los poderes. La banda sonora esta muy buena por momentos y ausente por otros. Sonido muy bueno.Lamentablemente el juego lo jugué en gallego y no lo digo por que hayan sido malos los doblajes sino porque no tuve la oportunidad de escuchar la voz de la hermosa Chloe moretz pero ademas de eso muy bueno los doblajes. Me gusto los gráficos,creado por el motor unreal engine 3,no son realistas sino algo mas pintoresco por decirlo así aunque lo mejor sería la dirección de arte. El diseño de la ciudad es mansa y los detalles son muy buenos. Los personajes muy bien hechos. La duración del juego varía entre 10hrs o 12hrs, PUNTOS A FAVOR: Historia, jugabilidad, innovador. PUNTOS EN CONTRA: Los bugs y glitches, aveces los cadáveres después de muertos siguen tiritando. En fin Dishonored es un muy bueno juego aunque a mi no me produjo las ganas de volverlo a jugar de nuevo hasta un tiempito largo pero eso no quita que se los recomiende. Expand
  87. Mar 8, 2013
    This game has brilliant gameplay, an unique art style and is just really fun to play .The only complaint being the short campaign and questionable storyline
  88. Mar 29, 2013
    Excellently made game; the game-play is fresh in its approach but not dauntingly new, the basic concepts are familiar from games like those of the the Thief and Batman: Arkham series, but with enough original concepts to keep you interested. The plot is not as strong as I would have hoped but you always know what you are working towards in the game and this makes missions more rewarding. Furthermore, the way in which you carry out missions is great; either stealthily and without killing or simply killing everyone you see (or a mixture of both) gives a lot of replay value to Dishonored. Buy it. Expand
  89. Apr 8, 2013
    The creativity allowed in this game permits a truly unique experience for the gamer. Not only are you allowed to choose your own path in gameplay, but in story too. It is truly a unique game that needs to be experienced.
  90. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been a massive fan of the stealth genre but dishonoured was just so good at what it does its just well worth pay...the only reason why this isn't a 10 is that there was quite a fair amount of bugs in my playthrough of the game Expand
  91. Apr 10, 2013
    Wow. Dishonored shattered my expectations. Someone in my advisory class said something about 'Bioshock" meets "Assassins Creed" so I was instantly curious. I got this game for Christmas and beat it in only 2 days; I was hooked. The story was amazing. At parts I felt enchanted, nostalgic, and betrayed. It was so memorable and so well done. The characters were vibrant and engaging, I fell in love with Samuel the boatman, you actually can feel a level of compassion for them. It was a lot of fun to find every way around Dunwall, being as stealthy as you can be. The combat and powers system was one of the best I've had the pleasure of experiencing. (And I can say so for the rest of the game.) Expand
  92. Apr 27, 2013
    The plot for this game is great! best game ive played, recommend this if your into stealth games.. it offers unique abilities to make the game more interesting and even though ive seen complaints about graphics, theyre actually not that bad! (if your not a super geeek who cares) worth buying this game though, the game does seem abit short but each level takes its time, thats if you dont go berserk aha and take time off of your xbox instead of staying in one position for 12 hours.

Id like to see a DisHonored 2 if im honest although i cant see that happening because of the ending but who knows?.. another good thing is that as you play the game, the way you play it actually decides the ending you get out of 3 possible endings.. the missions are the same old same old just go and assasinate people.. but there's always optional side missions and new surroundings that take away that feeling that youve just done the same thing. There's also a thousand different paths you can take towards your target which is pretty cool!
    BUY THE GAME
  93. Apr 22, 2013
    I think Dishonored will be remembered as one of the most innovative games of 2012. The ideas behind the world of Duwall and the Outsider are very well fleshed out and researched. The links to ancient mysticism and beliefs are almost striking and the dystopia steam punk universe is beautifully put together.

The stealth aspects of the game I personally found to be too difficult to
    attempt, I kept getting caught and then it turned into a bloodbath! It is a little bit buggy with textures not appearing properly etc but overall it is a spectacular game.

I really enjoyed this game and for me it deserves GOTY 2012 for its innovation and the fact that it is so different to everything available on the market.

PS Granny Rags is by far one of the scariest old ladies I've ever come across!
  94. May 4, 2013
    Whether you like killing everything in sight or using cool abilities and magic to play stealthily and get a lot of gamerscore at the end, this game is perfect for you. It has a sort of BioShock-ish steampunk graphic style and well developed characters. This game is so good that i got all of the achievements not for gamerscore but to experience every aspect of this incredible gaming epic. Once i completed my first walkthrough, i did it again without killing any one and it didn't feel like a chore at all. i like how they didn't put in a points sytem like in Hitman Absolution because the points system forces you to be stealthy. In Dishonored, you choose the way you play. I recommend this game to any gamers out there! Definite 10/10! EPIC! Expand
  95. Dec 31, 2013
    Dishonored lets gamers play how they want. One can be stealthy and never kill a soul, or violently destroy whatever stands in their path (although this is generally discouraged). Dishonored's levels are vast puzzles with the end goal being to eliminate the target. The story is interesting although nothing too original, but the steampunk world is incredibly immerses the player. The game brings the stealth genre to new heights and should be played by anyone who is even slightly interested. Expand
  96. May 16, 2013
    Fantastic game. I started it out like a typical noob and started off killing the badies. Then I realized it was way more fun to avoid detection and not kill and also way more challenging. The fact that it allows for multiple play throughs because of it makes it a well thought out game. One of the best given the XBOX360 lifecycle.
  97. May 25, 2013
    Iv'e been wanting a new stealth game after Assassin's Crap 3. Dishonored checks everything off my list of expectations for this game. To bad there's no co-op, but its just as fun playing by yourself! Play the game stealthy first then murderous second. The game is just as fun when you're doing a stealthy approach to everything!
  98. Jun 4, 2013
    simple and frustrating at first but once you gut the hang of it it evolves into a complex, never repetitive, highly enjoyable game. with a detailed environment that adds depth and ambiance to the experience
  99. May 9, 2014
    I've never played a game of this kind. You feel so unique, so special when you play it in your own style. Kill your enemies or be merciful and let them live? Every mission is a opportunity to find alternative way to complete your objective. Of course game rewards you with different endings (every ending depends on style you play) and changes of scenery in the world. By the way, presented world is very unusual. A bit like Victorian London with unusual technology and a bit of magic. I was impressed.
    All in all, I think it is very good game and it deserves a 10. Check it out! In my opinion playing this game is a pure pleasure!
  100. Jul 4, 2013
    Appena completato Dishonored con livello di chaos basso. Davvero un ottimo gioco, con meccaniche stealth che ben si adattano all'ambiente circostante lasciando al giocatore una totale libertà d'azione furtiva o omicida. Nessuna novità particolare introdotta nel genere ma buone idee e ben sfruttate. La trama si sviluppa in modo interessante e coinvolgente ed ha un buon finale (almeno quello che ho visto io). Insomma si merita senza dubbi un'ottimo voto! Complimenti ai ragazzi di Arkane Studios!!! Expand
  101. Oct 19, 2012
    Great game. This game allows so much choice. The choice of do i kill everyone in sight or do i try to be as sneaky as possible and spare their lives. Even the choice of getting to you objective. You'll find that there are many ways to get to your objectives; up, down, around, straightforward, possessing animals and people, secret passages, the choice is yours. There are also times in the games where you'll feel creative and smart like solving riddles to unlock a safe. This game has obvious influences such as its gameplay is comparable to Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The setting and graphics are very similar to Half Life 2. Collapse

1. Nov 14, 2012
    Precise and elegant systemic design engenders an absurd degree of player agency, but is marred somewhat by a sloppy, unconvincing narrative and soulless characters. [Dec 2012]
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    What is there is so compelling that the lack of additional stages can't help but feel like a disappointment. The game's strengths are a double-edged sword. Regardless, this is still one of the best games of this year. With a bit of work, a potential sequel could be one of the best games of any year.
  3. Dishonored is never able complete that transformation from a game into a totally new and exciting world to inhabit. To be sure, our mostly positive rating reflects that this game is well-structured with all the pieces you'd expect and story flexibility will offer up a unique adventure for every player. It's a promising and mostly enjoyable start to what will perhaps be an ongoing series, but it lacks the emotional punch that could make it great.