7.8

1. Jun 10, 2013
    Despite all the processing power this generation of consoles have to offer modern games all too often want to just funnel the player from one cinematic set piece to the next. For me the very best video games, such as Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex, provides the player with an interesting game world and lets them decide how best to make their way around it. Fortunately Dishonored allows you to doDespite all the processing power this generation of consoles have to offer modern games all too often want to just funnel the player from one cinematic set piece to the next. For me the very best video games, such as Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex, provides the player with an interesting game world and lets them decide how best to make their way around it. Fortunately Dishonored allows you to do just that.

Each and every mission provides players with a number of possible solutions made all the more interesting by the different powers (that are far more than just the usual fire and ice spells so often seen) and weapons that can be found or unlocked throughout the course of the game. As a result it is possible to complete Dishonored without killing a single person or, should you choose, you can simply kick down the front door and fight your way through.

Aside from the fact that the morality system is a little too black and white the main criticism I would level at the game is that it is perhaps over a little too quickly, my first playthrough took about 12 hours, but it is certainly a game I will return to and play differently at some point. This is certainly one to buy.
  2. Dec 14, 2012
    For me this game was a huge disappointment from what I was expecting. Backgrounds and scenery are very pretty and lovingly detailed, but also a bit lifeless, like looking at a still picture. While I get the cartoony look to the main characters was intentional, it just did not appeal to me in the least. Aside from the intro, you (as a player) never really feel connected to Corvo since theFor me this game was a huge disappointment from what I was expecting. Backgrounds and scenery are very pretty and lovingly detailed, but also a bit lifeless, like looking at a still picture. While I get the cartoony look to the main characters was intentional, it just did not appeal to me in the least. Aside from the intro, you (as a player) never really feel connected to Corvo since the narrative/perspective makes you feel like its happening to you and not Corvo. The Corvo persona seems to just vanish for a majority of the game. While the side characters are nice and fun, you really aren't given enough time with them to develop any kind of bond or make a lasting impression (aside from Admiral Havelock & Lady Emily.) While the levels are "theoretically" open to exploration, the game still feel like it follows a linear path. Combat is OK but, has been done far better in other similar games. The stealth aspects work well, but I found the stealth route to be rather boring and unchallenging. Plus, the games overall gameplay feels far too much like that of Deuas Ex: Human Revolution. This kind of took away any real sense of originality. Overall: A good idea that could have used a bit more focus on delivery and execution. I believe people who are new to gaming or have not played this kind of game before are likely to enjoy it more. Gaming vets will only be slightly amused Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2012
    Great First Person stealth game, similar in style to BIO SHOCK but combining a little of the staples originated in games such as METAL GEAR SOLID. Great atmosphere and art design. Too bad that some weaknesses inherent in First Person Stealth Game are still there, namely its hard to 'hide' from your enemies, when you can't see your avatar in relation to your opponents. That's why manyGreat First Person stealth game, similar in style to BIO SHOCK but combining a little of the staples originated in games such as METAL GEAR SOLID. Great atmosphere and art design. Too bad that some weaknesses inherent in First Person Stealth Game are still there, namely its hard to 'hide' from your enemies, when you can't see your avatar in relation to your opponents. That's why many great stealth games are made in 3rd person view. Hand to hand combat also leads the camera to move all over the place. Other than those weaknesses, it's one of the original properties released in 2012 so gamers that are dead bored by the usual fare out there (Cough....COD..Cough....) should give this one a try. Expand
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    Well done Bethesda you utter bastards for tricking me again. Time after time they show games that look good but I very rarely buy, however when I do it ends up being crap like Brink and I end up overlooking brilliant games like RAGE and Dishonoured.
    Corvo Attano is an assassin for the Empress of Dunwall, a city riddled with crime, scum and a deadly plague spread by rats. When Corvo returns from an unsuccessful search for a cure to the plague the Empress is assassinated, her daughter and heir to the throne taken and you are accused for the crime. 6 months of jail time later and with a little assistance you escape to hunt down the power hungry aristocrats of Dunwall to gain information on the heirs whereabouts, take her back and no longer be dishonoured, however the roots of evil and corruption run deep in the streets of Dunwall so this will be no easy task.
    Dishonoured at its heart is a stealth game, however it can be played as a melee focussed action game, requiring you to mix sword attacks, magic powers and ranged weaponry such as crossbows pistols to take down your foes. The game lasts around 6-7 hours which is disappointingly short however these hours are insanely good fun.
    Dont be put off by the length or the stealth focused gameplay if that isn't your thing because Dishonoured is easily one of the best games of 2012.
  5. Feb 18, 2013
    Starting to play this game at the start I knew this was gonna be a good enough game, but when you escape the prison you will fall in love with this game. You play as Corvo who is the bodyguard of the Empress who gets murdered by assasins. After been acused for killing the Empress you go to prison and the games story just more interesting. Another thing I love about this game is that is hoStarting to play this game at the start I knew this was gonna be a good enough game, but when you escape the prison you will fall in love with this game. You play as Corvo who is the bodyguard of the Empress who gets murdered by assasins. After been acused for killing the Empress you go to prison and the games story just more interesting. Another thing I love about this game is that is ho you choice of taking out your foes like killing everyone you see with the power of spawning rats to devour your foes or not kill a single soul (I did I it of sneak killing but mainely not killing anyone) and it all affects the ending. Only flaw is stealth is a little messed up and needs bit of fixes. But overall Dishonored is the Bioshock and Assassins Creed met and make this and hope for some type of sequel. Dishonored 9.2/10 Expand
  6. Oct 12, 2012
    A fantastic stealth game and the best since Thief.A ton of playstyle options are available and are most welcome in these days of (shudder) twitch FPS'ers.Dishonored gives you a wealth of tools and upgrades and lets you loose in each level to do as you wish,kill everything or nothing,as well as anything in between.The second and third playthroughs are far superior than your initial timeA fantastic stealth game and the best since Thief.A ton of playstyle options are available and are most welcome in these days of (shudder) twitch FPS'ers.Dishonored gives you a wealth of tools and upgrades and lets you loose in each level to do as you wish,kill everything or nothing,as well as anything in between.The second and third playthroughs are far superior than your initial time with the game.The story is fine,but could have been more thoroughly explored and a New Game + mode would have been desirable.Though this game doesn't quite reach the majesty of its influences,namely Bioshock,Thief,Deus Ex and Half-Life 2,it is excellent nonetheless. Expand
  7. May 21, 2013
    At it's core, a fantastic game with solid game play and a original feel on a first person shooter. I just feel they could of done a lot more with it, at times it felt a little cheap rather than feeling satisfaction for using my brain around a certain situation. Also, the trail and error mentality of this games takes it to a new level. Constantly forcing you to save to make sure every inchAt it's core, a fantastic game with solid game play and a original feel on a first person shooter. I just feel they could of done a lot more with it, at times it felt a little cheap rather than feeling satisfaction for using my brain around a certain situation. Also, the trail and error mentality of this games takes it to a new level. Constantly forcing you to save to make sure every inch of progress is docked. A good game, but could of been a lot better. If you're a fan of stealthy games, go for it. If not, give it a miss. Expand
  8. Dec 17, 2013
    One of Top 5 games on this generation. More freedom on gameplay than almost any other game out there. Graphics and style are awesome, really artistic. There are so many ways to go trough this game that one walktrough is totally different from another. You have to own this game and play it over and over again.
  9. Oct 14, 2012
    Dishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player toDishonored is a thinking man's game, period. Each level in Dishonored gives you a sandbox to toy around in and lets the player run wild with their imagination as to how they will get through each situation. Gone are the overly scripted scenarios you're used to in games that funnel you down a certain path that the designers carved out for you. Dishonored is a game that asks the player to think, to use their noggin, to overcome the obstacles, and while you have many tools at your disposal, it's your choice to decide how you use them and how you make your way through each environment. Do you prefer to kill every enemy in your path with weapons? Do you prefer to take them out through silent means? Or, another possibility and the most gratifying of all, is to make your way through the game without killing a single enemy. Everything's up to you, which is the true beauty of Dishonored. Dishonored's a true "water cooler" game where no two people will play the same and it's fun to talk to others and see how they played through the game. It's a deep game that only asks the player to think for once. Sometimes thinking for yourself can be fun.

Dishonored's art direction is beyond amazing. It's important to note that one of the minds behind the art is Viktor Antonov, who was also the mind behind Half Life 2's City 17. Harvey Smith, Co-creative Director at Arkane Studios, has said that they went for a "water color" look with the game's graphics, which is an apt description. While you won't be blown away by the textures or anything, it's still one of the most beautiful games out there because of its unique aesthetic.

Dishonored is one of those games we rarely see in this day and age. Harvey Smith, known for his work on Deus Ex and Thief, brings his experience from past games to make a new intellectual property that carries the same gameplay principals but puts it in a new and interesting world. This is a game that deserves to be supported. It's a rare and unique experience that no one should miss out on.
  10. May 25, 2013
    Iv'e been wanting a new stealth game after Assassin's Crap 3. Dishonored checks everything off my list of expectations for this game. To bad there's no co-op, but its just as fun playing by yourself! Play the game stealthy first then murderous second. The game is just as fun when you're doing a stealthy approach to everything!
  11. Dec 21, 2013
    Dishonored is a unique experience. Stealth or not, this game is filled with various choices that effect the outcome of the story. This amounts to a great experience, bogged down only by a few irritating areas.
  12. Dec 7, 2014
    A glorious first person experience. The stealth mechanics are a joy and the supernatural powers enable you to feel like something more. The story is original and brilliant. But where Dishonoured thrives the most is through the endless freedom it gives you. Do you charge through the game cutting down all in your path? Or do you sneak through the levels silently subduing enemies? The choiceA glorious first person experience. The stealth mechanics are a joy and the supernatural powers enable you to feel like something more. The story is original and brilliant. But where Dishonoured thrives the most is through the endless freedom it gives you. Do you charge through the game cutting down all in your path? Or do you sneak through the levels silently subduing enemies? The choice is yours and your choice of strategy effects the outcome of the game. It's nice to see less scripting and more choice. The game lacks multiplayer but the pedigree that this game is able to mark without multiplayer is quite incredible. A beautifully made game that is more than a pleasure to play. One of the generations special games. Expand
  13. Oct 19, 2012
    I have been playing Dishonored non-stop for the past week, it is extremely refreshing and a blast to play. You definitely see the Bethesda elements here and damn are they good. This game is by no means perfect but it brings a new twist to gaming that I think most anyone will enjoy. - Story (8): the story gets going right away and I don't want to spoil anything so I won't go into details.I have been playing Dishonored non-stop for the past week, it is extremely refreshing and a blast to play. You definitely see the Bethesda elements here and damn are they good. This game is by no means perfect but it brings a new twist to gaming that I think most anyone will enjoy. - Story (8): the story gets going right away and I don't want to spoil anything so I won't go into details. It is easy to follow, at times a bit bland and similar to other things we've seen, but it keeps you going. The conversations and voice acting are great and the plot can change depending on your choices/actions. - Graphics (8): The Graphics are not the strong point of Dishonored, but they get the job done and present the Victorian style scenery very well. London in this time period is an ideal place for this game and even though it won't stress your card the graphics and surroundings suck you in and make you feel directly involved. - Sound (10): I fully enjoy the background music, voice acting, and all the sound effects from weapons and skills. At times the sound sets a dreary mood and makes the whole thing more enticing. - Gameplay (10): An absolute 10 here, the gameplay is truly awesome and the best aspect of Dishonored. Whether you want to be "stealthy" or not, you are presented with numerous options and abilities that alter your course in the game. Duel wielding weapons, skills such as blink where you can travel to spots unreachable by jumping, or the many bone charms that give you other special perks, all of it is useful and rewarding. Finding schematics and applying upgrades is also extremely pleasing, along with powering up skills depending on what works for you. Depending on how you choose to play there are tons of pathways and choices at your disposal. - Endgame (8): Other than replaying for a different style of play I'd say that the endgame is a bit lacking. I really wish Dishonored was longer and took many hours to complete but that's just not the case. You will find yourself finishing in 10-15 hours and feeling pretty satisfied after your first play through, except if you went totally "non-stealth" and desire to do so. Overall (44/50 = 9): I am certainly glad I purchased Dishonored for the PC and played it all the way through. The entire time it felt rewarding and I loved sneaking my way to the next area and planning my next move. Expand
  14. Jun 20, 2013
    One of the best games out there its so fun to play it can make you cry.I hope there going to be dishonored 2 because we could use another one I never kept my copy of this so i'm mad at my self.
  15. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is great. Weather you are slaying everyone in site or sneaking past everyone without killing a soul, this game delivers. The story is a simple tale of reclaiming your honor through revenge with some predictable twists here and there, but the story is great and regardless of bringing the city to the brink of destruction or keeping it and yourself under control, every ending isThis game is great. Weather you are slaying everyone in site or sneaking past everyone without killing a soul, this game delivers. The story is a simple tale of reclaiming your honor through revenge with some predictable twists here and there, but the story is great and regardless of bringing the city to the brink of destruction or keeping it and yourself under control, every ending is great. The game changes 2 of the missions every play through which are both my favorites, but the other missions provide there own challenges in the form of numerous paths of varying difficulties depending on how you build your character or in what ways you are limiting yourself in your play-through. If you kill every one and every target the final missions change to reflect the fear your targets have, while playing mercifully will leave the more wide open and easier to finish off. The Powers I found varying in usefulness. My first run was pure stealth with no kills, no powers beside blink level 1, and no detection, and it offered me a unique way of playing that required thought and lots of saving. My second run lead me to learn that Blink and Dark Vision are very useful while Agility is decent and the rest of the powers I used were novel at best, but that was because of how I played. Even when killing everyone I kept to the shadows at times waiting for the moment to strike.

The levels are all very different besides the 2nd and 3rd which share there first sections, but have unique areas in which to kill the target(s). The time of day varies which will try and force you to adapt a different style of play depending on how hard or easy it is to hide. The upgrades range for useful to pointless, and unfortunately none will help the merciful assassin besides 2 to maybe 4, but when it comes to combat they can really change the game.

My only problem with this game is that new play-throughs overwrite the replay mission stats of other play-throughs. This means that that run through where you hadn't spent any upgrade points on supernatural powers until the last level allowing for you to approach the finally with any combination of powers was overwritten by the time you spent them all. Same goes for mission clear stats. You really proud of completing the game without being seen or killing anyone? Hope you aren't planning on replaying the game without taking some screen caps first.

As for the game overall, it's quite possibly my favorite title of the year and I look forward to the major DLC coming in the Spring.
  16. Apr 16, 2014
    Un juego fascinante y la posibilidad de pasarte el juego en dos modos, sigilosamente o darles cara, la cantidad de formas de como deshacerte del enemigo como te plazca, y los poderes del protagonista, un videojuego muy al estilo de la saga Bioshock, eso si la trama no es tan espectacular pero se recompensa con las subtramas de los personajes secundarios.
  17. Aug 14, 2014
    One of the best games of 2012, Dishonored excels in visuals, story and obviously gameplay. The stealth is very engaging and full of depth and care. And your targets actually feel repulsive and evil. The missions are very open, and you can even do extra side activities to boost your scores. You will constantly be replaying missions to see if you missed anything. The story is compelling, andOne of the best games of 2012, Dishonored excels in visuals, story and obviously gameplay. The stealth is very engaging and full of depth and care. And your targets actually feel repulsive and evil. The missions are very open, and you can even do extra side activities to boost your scores. You will constantly be replaying missions to see if you missed anything. The story is compelling, and the voice acting is top notch. While the Good/Evil system works awfully, and missions get frustratingly hard. Dishonored is one of the most engaging stealth games of all time. Expand
  18. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is not bad but it is not good either. The writing and the acting is atrocious despite some of the voice actors being famous stars. All the dialogue over explains what is already apparent. This is no Bioshock. There is no atmosphere whatsoever and quite frankly I couldn't wait to get it over with. I finished the game hoping it would pay off at some point but it was just triteThis game is not bad but it is not good either. The writing and the acting is atrocious despite some of the voice actors being famous stars. All the dialogue over explains what is already apparent. This is no Bioshock. There is no atmosphere whatsoever and quite frankly I couldn't wait to get it over with. I finished the game hoping it would pay off at some point but it was just trite and predictable. The game play had some good ideas and that is where the game redeems itself somewhat but not enough to make me want to replay it. Also I found all the paintings and the achievement did not unlock. I did not have fun playing this game and do not recommend you buy it, borrow it from a friend if you must play it but I suspect you will be disappointed. Expand
  19. Jan 18, 2013
    Bethesda done it again. Mixing Skyrim and a little bit of BioShock, Dishonored is a game totally addictive and compelling, that looks awesome (Besides some character expressions flaws) and also has a great gameplay. I mean, just the character Corvo and all the things he can do is awesome. We can turn people into ashes, possess rats or invoke a group of rats to eat someone, teleport whileBethesda done it again. Mixing Skyrim and a little bit of BioShock, Dishonored is a game totally addictive and compelling, that looks awesome (Besides some character expressions flaws) and also has a great gameplay. I mean, just the character Corvo and all the things he can do is awesome. We can turn people into ashes, possess rats or invoke a group of rats to eat someone, teleport while flying around, and lots of stuff. Also, we can choose how to pass our different "tasks". Corvo is an assassin, but that doesn't mean you should kill everyone. For example, in the game you have tons of guards that will want to kill you at sight. You can approach to them slowly and slit their throats, or you can do "something" (I don't know what the hell is) that makes them unconscious and carry the body around to hide it. It's a much more difficult way to play the game, but the game promises it's the most rewarding. Also, some missions have Player Choice implementation which results great, and although after you finish the story there's no much reason to play it again, Dishonored is still all about the journey. The only problem I had with the game is the problem Bethesda is always struggling with: A good story, with good voice acting and dialogue. Yes, Dishonored looks amazing but not in the plot part. The games suffers from melodrama, but mostly from trying to have a poetic style, to tell a story mostly boring and plain with nothing good to offer. There are some twists, most of them poorly executed, making the game a little bit disappointing. Also, the fact that when the story ends you can't play it in "Sandbox" mode is a little bit a minus. I mean, I got to the end of the game with only a quarter of the powers unlocked, and haven't upgraded many of them. If that's enough reason to play the game again, good for you. I was expecting the Free world Bethesda so proudly showed on previous games. So, Dishonored is about gameplay. You shouldn't expect Game of the year quality, but just fun to make the game good. Bethesda has to improve the story on their games, but that doesn't keep Dishonored from being one of the most played games of this year, and one of the most compelling ones of all time. Expand
  20. Nov 2, 2014
    this game is so epic it the people who say this is repitive haven't played for 10 minutes its a good game you a very strong assassin looking for revenge and the game is so realistic that you would want to sell your call of duty black ops 2 copy
  21. Oct 31, 2014
    Dishonored blends a great plot, wonderful stylized graphics, excellent non-linear feel, and great completion variety to the missions. You will discover a style of gameplay that works for you in the first couple of missions and spend the rest of the game perfecting it.
    I love the dynamic environments that change as you complete missions to reflect the style of gameplay you have chosen. Go through levels as death incarnate and kill all you see? Watch the world grow darker, more dangerous, and more plague infested. Slip through levels like a shadow, making your enemies disappear without a trace? Watch the city begin to come back to life and the plague wither.

Loads of replay-ability coupled with all of the things listed above and this game is nearly perfect.
    The only two gripes I have are a soundtrack that disappears and is totally forgettable, and graphics that are definitely showing their age. Seriously, I thought I was playing Half-Life 2 again.

A must play for any assassin lover.
  22. Oct 11, 2012
    Unbelievably well made. What this game was able to achieve is absolutely incredible. Going in I was expecting to be a stealthy character with some cool powers and some freedom but still fairly restricted. What I got instead was a small amount of tools that allowed me to do anything I wanted. I figured the blink power (teleportation) would be confined to certain areas and have a mapped feelUnbelievably well made. What this game was able to achieve is absolutely incredible. Going in I was expecting to be a stealthy character with some cool powers and some freedom but still fairly restricted. What I got instead was a small amount of tools that allowed me to do anything I wanted. I figured the blink power (teleportation) would be confined to certain areas and have a mapped feel to it; I was however, wrong. You want to get up that building? *blink*, *blink*, *blink*, your there. Doing what you want to do in a game has never been this easy in my experience. This was exemplified by the characters jumping. You direct your character to scale a wall, he scales a wall; you direct him to jump then grab something and pull himself up, he does exactly that. These aren't scripted sequences either, you actually find yourself running at something, pressing jump and tapping the climb button right as you are approaching the ledge. The combination of jumping and blinking made the generously large open-hubs so much fun to explore. It became a game of what are the limits, and let me tell you, there are very little.
    The story is an incredibly compelling one and the characters draw you in. An important point is that the individual interactions aren't all that memorable but the way they all connect is. The level of cohesiveness in this game is astounding. Everything feels like it is interlaced and while the individual interactions don't feel like a whole lot, they contribute to the bigger picture. The bigger picture is what I'm talking about when I say the story is compelling and it is what will keep you wanting more and wanting to see what happens next.
    Your character, Corvo, is incredibly well equipped to take on the world with a few weapons and upgrades for them as well as some special weapons. I didn't feel the need to use half of the weapons which was inherent of my gameplay style but the fact that I had options is appreciated.
    While I'd rank other features of the game over this as being a high point the art direction is a pillar that this game really stands on. The oil painting art style mixed with the steam-punk era feel works so well to convey the feeling of tragedy, amazement and beauty all throughout. Although I have only had one play through I will certainly be having more in the near future. The experience as a whole combined with the notion that my second time through could be entirely different than the first is beyond tempting. Bravo to Arkane for such a well made game that offers an amazing concept and a cohesive world.
  23. Feb 15, 2013
    This is one incredibly memorable stealth action adventure. Dishonored gives the player a handful of fun and exciting tools, all incredibly flexible for mixing and matching gameplay styles. They are hard to pick up, challenging to master, but incredibly fun once dash across a roof top, possess a rat, sneak up behind a guard, jump out of the rat, assassinate him, and teleport back up toThis is one incredibly memorable stealth action adventure. Dishonored gives the player a handful of fun and exciting tools, all incredibly flexible for mixing and matching gameplay styles. They are hard to pick up, challenging to master, but incredibly fun once dash across a roof top, possess a rat, sneak up behind a guard, jump out of the rat, assassinate him, and teleport back up to the rooftop. PHENOMENALLY satisfying. The story is fairly interesting, but there are some inconsistencies and some rather poor design choices that mar the experience. The core of the game gets everything done right: first person assassination with a dose of stealth and run and gun. It's an incredibly exciting game, and a hard one to put down at that. The story is pretty exciting but simple, but it's the rich and dramatic world that will keep you invested for the 15-20 hour run time. There are a couple of truly unique levels, and playing through the game without killing anyone is a gleeful challenge (to an avid fan of Metal Gear Solid). The ending leaves much to be desired, though, as it proves to be sloppy and rushed. Fans of Assassin's Creed or Half Life will really enjoy this game, as it executes first person stealth, exploration, and gameplay very well. It's just the sloppy story and ending that leaves a somewhat negative impression. So, in the end, triumphant and polished gameplay, intriguing world building, but weak and lacking story. Expand
  24. Apr 27, 2013
    The plot for this game is great! best game ive played, recommend this if your into stealth games.. it offers unique abilities to make the game more interesting and even though ive seen complaints about graphics, theyre actually not that bad! (if your not a super geeek who cares) worth buying this game though, the game does seem abit short but each level takes its time, thats if you dont goThe plot for this game is great! best game ive played, recommend this if your into stealth games.. it offers unique abilities to make the game more interesting and even though ive seen complaints about graphics, theyre actually not that bad! (if your not a super geeek who cares) worth buying this game though, the game does seem abit short but each level takes its time, thats if you dont go berserk aha and take time off of your xbox instead of staying in one position for 12 hours.

Id like to see a DisHonored 2 if im honest although i cant see that happening because of the ending but who knows?.. another good thing is that as you play the game, the way you play it actually decides the ending you get out of 3 possible endings.. the missions are the same old same old just go and assasinate people.. but there's always optional side missions and new surroundings that take away that feeling that youve just done the same thing. There's also a thousand different paths you can take towards your target which is pretty cool!
    BUY THE GAME
  25. Dec 29, 2012
    Overhyped and overrated, this game is not near as good as I expected. A number of issues include a weak story, repetitive gameplay, abysmal graphics, and rushed stages.
  26. Oct 11, 2012
    I'm going to be the first to say it, This game isn't all its hyped up to be! It has VERY good mechanics mixed with great intuitive design, but Is let down by a short story(~6 hours) a lack of re-playability and a very Abruptly disappointing story. They make the game seem like it has tons of Re-playability by telling you that you can re-play the game in different ways, But to be honest,I'm going to be the first to say it, This game isn't all its hyped up to be! It has VERY good mechanics mixed with great intuitive design, but Is let down by a short story(~6 hours) a lack of re-playability and a very Abruptly disappointing story. They make the game seem like it has tons of Re-playability by telling you that you can re-play the game in different ways, But to be honest, that's the least Appealing thing to me right now; Because 1.) At this point I'd usually try the game's online multiplayer, Dishonored has none. and 2.) There is no new game+, So I'm unable to continue collecting runes and making my Corvo better, You literally have to start again which tbh sounds tiresome, I'd rather go and play a different game. Next thing is the "Bone charms" The basically useless "mini-traits" they give you never seemed to prove useful, The only useful one I found was in the last mission so in theory was no use to me whatsoever! This game would be 100x better if it had a story like Skyrim(Length wise) If this game was 60+ Hours long, It'd be my game of the year, because the game itself is excellent and I REALLY enjoyed playing it, It just ended too fast, for a £40 game, Your not getting much from it, With the lack of re-playability, I'd say this is only worth finding if you get it cheap, because you won't be spending much time on it, I'd pay about £6 for it in a steam sale, because with its annoying down-points this is a great game that's VERY short-Lived, But it's one of those Turning point's in the Genre that you MUST play before this generation is over, A sequel with a 50+ Hour story line could be the best game ever made! Expand
  27. Dec 15, 2012
    This game is a cross between Thief and BioShock. Overall there is very little to complain about. This is an excellent start to the series. The ability to do things stealthily or guns blazing is great. The powers seem pretty cool and unique. The environment and story is different and interesting. I didn't experience any issues playing the game at all. The length of the game is aThis game is a cross between Thief and BioShock. Overall there is very little to complain about. This is an excellent start to the series. The ability to do things stealthily or guns blazing is great. The powers seem pretty cool and unique. The environment and story is different and interesting. I didn't experience any issues playing the game at all. The length of the game is a little short compared to other games but given the story I think it was perfect. Some games stretch out the story to make the game longer and it shows with dull levels. With this game it is long enough to convey the story without levels that are tedious or dull.

The only complaint I have against this game are the achievements. Firstly it looked like I was playing Dues Ex all over again with some of the achievement names. Secondly some of the achievements just seem stupid to me. One of the achievements has you play the entire game without using any powers or equipment upgrades. Why would the developers put all the time and money into building this stuff in just to create an achievement saying you cannot use them?? One of the stupidest achievements ever. It's like an RPG that says you cannot level up or an FPS that says you have to use the pistol. Achievements should reward you for playing a consistent or different way. Not punish you for using the features that are supposed to make the game fun and different. Additionally the achievements mandate that you play through more than once. I fail to see why devs feel their games are so awesome that everybody has to play through it more than once. There are very, very few games worth playing more than once for many, many reasons. So don't punish us by making us play your game again. It isn't as much fun the second time through.

The only other thing that I found to be odd was the side missions. At the beginning of the game you get a couple of side missions. Then nothing through most of the game and a final side mission at the end. The side missions are interesting until themselves but this isn't an RPG and they just feel out of place compared to the rest of the game. They don't really add anything but they don't distract either.

Overall a great game if you like BioShock, Thief or Dues Ex then pick this one up. If you are an FPS person then this game isn't for you.
  28. Apr 1, 2013
    I would most likely grant this game a solid 8.25 rating. The game largely succeeds at what it set out to accomplish but manages to trip up on more than one occasion. This is definitely one of the better stealth games that I have played in recent memory. You take the role of Corvo, the personal bodyguard to the Empress and her daughter, Emily. As you probably already know, the Empress isI would most likely grant this game a solid 8.25 rating. The game largely succeeds at what it set out to accomplish but manages to trip up on more than one occasion. This is definitely one of the better stealth games that I have played in recent memory. You take the role of Corvo, the personal bodyguard to the Empress and her daughter, Emily. As you probably already know, the Empress is slain on your character's watch and Corvo is framed for the dark deed and immediately thrown into prison to await execution. At first glance, this is a fantastic (albeit somewhat cliche) setup for a good revenge story, but as you progress through the game, it never really becomes said story. The people who framed Corvo for the assassination rarely made any sort of appearances, save for when you're sent to assassinate them and so I never quite developed a need to hate them. The story fails to build this hate that's necessary for any good revenge story and so these missions wound up being "Kill this guy because he's supposedly bad". Not to mention that the entire game progresses in a repetitive manner that will quickly bore you of the storyline. I found it difficult to care what the hell happens to the future of Dunwall and what the hell is currently happening to Dunwall as you assassinate targets. The storyline also proves to be quite predictable throughout and there will be multiple occasions where you will have deciphered what happens next before it's even revealed to you. The game attempts its own twist about 3/4's of the way through the game but as I mentioned earlier, you will probably already have it figured out at that point in time. The fact that Corvo is also a silent protagonist means that any NPC interaction is pretty much trimmed to a minimum and so your ability to care for anyone other than yourself becomes quite limited. The inclusion of a supernatural being that bestows your character's supernatural powers feels forced and is entirely unnecessary to the overall plot. The game attempts to include this character as a bigger part of the story but instead, it serves simply as a means of explaining how you're character obtains powers and that's it. The game's environments quickly become bland and rather colorless and the game's climax is extremely unsatisfying. Generally, when a good revenge game or movie concludes, the targeted audience will feel relief and satisfaction knowing that the main character accomplished what he/she set out to do. I felt none of this at the game's conclusion. In fact, I actually began to feel somewhat angry at how unsatisfied I was with how the entire plot panned out. There's two different endings to the story, depending on how many people you actually kill throughout the game. Similar to the original Bioshock, the "evil" ending pretty much sucks and the "good" ending is far and away better. However, unless you want to Youtube it, the only way you can view the other ending is by playing through the entire game again. Honestly, this isn't so bad, as the game does possess some fantastic controls and combat mechanics. In my opinion, I felt that the combat was far too easy. Obviously, the primary goal of the player should be stealth but not every encounter will go so smoothly and this forces you into combat with guards or Overseers. Blocking and countering are key aspects to surviving encounters, unless of course you have ammunition with your pistol (which you always do). Shooting enemies or destroying them with your supernatural powers is far easier than engaging them in swordplay, making any scenario throughout the game a cakewalk. Moving on to positives, the stealth mechanics in the game are top notch and they really give the players an astonishing amount of tools to get the job done. All of Corvo's gadgets are extremely fun to utilize and there's a delightfully wide range of them to choose from to accomplish the task at hand. Whether it be sleeping darts to silently take down targets in a nonlethal manner or explosive bolts to eliminate clusters of enemies at once, it's all up to the player how these scenarios go down. Corvo's supernatural powers are grandly-implemented, never feeling imbalanced or out of place and they really allow you to overcome just about any obstacle. Possessing a guard and walking him into a nearby electrical fence is always good fun. As is with any good stealth game, there are multiple paths that you can take to successfully eliminate guards and complete missions. It's always a treat to become the silent predator lurking from above, waiting for that one guard to be alone before pouncing. Overall, Dishonored is a treat for stealth-game fans. The stealth mechanics are surprisingly well-done and allows for tons of freedom in how the player chooses to accomplish tasks. However, the story is weak and predictable and if you have never been a fan of stealth games before, I highly doubt that this game will change your mind. Expand
  29. Oct 16, 2012
    A truly masterful title that really lets you see how your choices effect how the rest of the game will play out, the gameplay is just awesome, unlocking new powers and abilities and experimenting with them and trying to find new ways to get through levels or new ways to take out enemies. Dishonored is all about choice, want to sneak past every guard and not kill anyone? You can. Want toA truly masterful title that really lets you see how your choices effect how the rest of the game will play out, the gameplay is just awesome, unlocking new powers and abilities and experimenting with them and trying to find new ways to get through levels or new ways to take out enemies. Dishonored is all about choice, want to sneak past every guard and not kill anyone? You can. Want to just go berserk and murder everyone? You can. The combat and the powers also feel very solid, and so does the stealth, sneaking around feels great just as it should. Taking many cues from games like Thief and Bioshock, Dishonored is one of the best games to come out this year and anyone who remotely likes stealth games should go out and purchase this game ASAP Expand

1. Nov 14, 2012
    Precise and elegant systemic design engenders an absurd degree of player agency, but is marred somewhat by a sloppy, unconvincing narrative and soulless characters. [Dec 2012]
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    What is there is so compelling that the lack of additional stages can't help but feel like a disappointment. The game's strengths are a double-edged sword. Regardless, this is still one of the best games of this year. With a bit of work, a potential sequel could be one of the best games of any year.
  3. Dishonored is never able complete that transformation from a game into a totally new and exciting world to inhabit. To be sure, our mostly positive rating reflects that this game is well-structured with all the pieces you'd expect and story flexibility will offer up a unique adventure for every player. It's a promising and mostly enjoyable start to what will perhaps be an ongoing series, but it lacks the emotional punch that could make it great.