7.8

1. Dec 11, 2014
    This is one of Bethesda's lesser known releases, but should not be missed. While it does not have the large open worlds that titles like Skyrim and Fallout and is more linear, it still offers a decent sized world to explore and decisions to make. The story and environment are very interesting and enjoyable, though some of the characters lack substance and are easily forgettable. TheThis is one of Bethesda's lesser known releases, but should not be missed. While it does not have the large open worlds that titles like Skyrim and Fallout and is more linear, it still offers a decent sized world to explore and decisions to make. The story and environment are very interesting and enjoyable, though some of the characters lack substance and are easily forgettable. The mechanics of the game are unique and once you get the hang of them become very fun with a wide range of options ranging from stealth to full out assault. Expand
  2. Dec 7, 2014
    A glorious first person experience. The stealth mechanics are a joy and the supernatural powers enable you to feel like something more. The story is original and brilliant. But where Dishonoured thrives the most is through the endless freedom it gives you. Do you charge through the game cutting down all in your path? Or do you sneak through the levels silently subduing enemies? The choiceA glorious first person experience. The stealth mechanics are a joy and the supernatural powers enable you to feel like something more. The story is original and brilliant. But where Dishonoured thrives the most is through the endless freedom it gives you. Do you charge through the game cutting down all in your path? Or do you sneak through the levels silently subduing enemies? The choice is yours and your choice of strategy effects the outcome of the game. It's nice to see less scripting and more choice. The game lacks multiplayer but the pedigree that this game is able to mark without multiplayer is quite incredible. A beautifully made game that is more than a pleasure to play. One of the generations special games. Expand
  3. Nov 29, 2014
    A very interesting and unique stealth game. You play as the assassin Corvo Attano, who witnesses the murder of the royal empress kaldwin and is blamed for it, hence "dishonored". The world of Dunwall where the game takes place is a corrupt dystopian world with plaques, tyrannical leaders, and of course conspiracies. It doesn't say when it takes place, but it has a Victorian steampunkA very interesting and unique stealth game. You play as the assassin Corvo Attano, who witnesses the murder of the royal empress kaldwin and is blamed for it, hence "dishonored". The world of Dunwall where the game takes place is a corrupt dystopian world with plaques, tyrannical leaders, and of course conspiracies. It doesn't say when it takes place, but it has a Victorian steampunk hybrid look to it and it is awesome. Corvo escapes from the prison he was held in and joins some revolutionary movement that wants to take take down the corrupt leader and put empresses daughter Emily Kaldwin on the throne. Most of the characters are very boring and don't show any emotion at all, except for Emily of course. Every time your told to go assassinate some bad guy, sure you may know why, but the bad guy doesn't ever come off as truly evil so there doesn't feel like any true motivation to kill. I wish there where more cool villains in games these days like Vaas and Handsome Jack. There is a plot twist towards the end, you can see it from a mile away. While the story has some problems, the most important part of any game got the most love here, which is the gameplay. The game takes place over 9 different missions, and each one is a mini sandbox. They are fully explorable with no invisible walls that I could find and the only thing stopping you being the laws of physics. You are tasked with different objectives within each level, and there all very diverse. There's tons of different ways to approach these objectives which gives the game a lot of replay value. You can run in and stab and shoot every guy, or freeze time and just walk through, or set spike traps in specific places for enemies to walk into, or teleport all over the place to sneak around them, there is so much diversity. How much fun you'll have depends on how creative you are. And I like that the alternate endings and the way the story plays out depends on your actions in the gameplay itself rather than just pressing one button or another in a cutscenes like in other games. At the end of each mission you are ranked with either low of high chaos. If you set off alarms and stab every throat you see, you get high chaos, but play it stealthy and spare enough lives and keep it quiet, you will get low chaos. I mostly played stealthy but every once in a while got in a bloody sword fight because stealth was too tricky, but still got low chaos overall. No matter which way you play, the game will still challenge you. Big sword fights are frantic and tough, but sneaking around is also nerve wracking and can be broken with one little slip. At times the game can be a bit frustrating. A lot of times I would be trying to be stealthy and guys would come running after me and I had no way of knowing how I got caught. But god the most part it's a legitimate challenge, unlike most games these days. I didn't come across any glitches in my playthrough, and the graphics are very unique. Some people say this game has ugly graphics, we'll duh it's not trying to look photorealistic. It has a unique art style that goes with the steampunk world. The game also has great sound design, the weapons and magical powers have cool sound effects when you use them. The city itself has these sound of steam machines and metal clanking and buzzing sounds that really give it that industrial feel and it sounds awesome. I really wish there was there was more interesting enemies to fight. Most of the time you'll just be confronted with boring guards, but there are also infected zombie like people and other assassins who can teleport. The only stand out enemy is the stilt walkers as they are big scary and challenging to get around. If they see you prepare for a pain of a fight. If you like stealth games, then this is certainly a must have for it's stellar gameplay, after all that's the most important part. It's something unique, refreshing, and original and I would love to see a sequel and this being turned into a franchise. There's a lot more I want to learn about this unique world. Just don't have high expectations for the plot, I do hope they make a better plot if there is a sequel. Expand
  4. Nov 2, 2014
    this game is so epic it the people who say this is repitive haven't played for 10 minutes its a good game you a very strong assassin looking for revenge and the game is so realistic that you would want to sell your call of duty black ops 2 copy
  5. Oct 31, 2014
    Dishonored blends a great plot, wonderful stylized graphics, excellent non-linear feel, and great completion variety to the missions. You will discover a style of gameplay that works for you in the first couple of missions and spend the rest of the game perfecting it.
    I love the dynamic environments that change as you complete missions to reflect the style of gameplay you have chosen. Go through levels as death incarnate and kill all you see? Watch the world grow darker, more dangerous, and more plague infested. Slip through levels like a shadow, making your enemies disappear without a trace? Watch the city begin to come back to life and the plague wither.

Loads of replay-ability coupled with all of the things listed above and this game is nearly perfect.
    The only two gripes I have are a soundtrack that disappears and is totally forgettable, and graphics that are definitely showing their age. Seriously, I thought I was playing Half-Life 2 again.

A must play for any assassin lover.
  6. Oct 12, 2014
    Nice graphics. Very interesting design. Okay story line. Confusing gaming elements. Not much fun to play. It was a good attempt at making an interesting video game. However, the pacing is off putting and there are ways to fail in which you cannot go back. You have to make use of the saves, which is not something I wish to do.
  7. Sep 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm going to be honest, based on the reviews on this site, I was expecting such an over hyped game, but now that I've played it, here are my final thoughts about this game, It was good. The game wasn't ass good as I initially thought it would be, because the begging was kinda clunky, but after the 2nd mission, things REALLY started to pick up. The weapons can be VERY useful, the most useful that I used was the Sleep Dart for taking out important enemies like Sokolov and escorting them back to the boat. The difficulty was not that bad, but the Long Daddy's are VERY difficult to get around, especially in the final chapter. And the final chapter was a nice twist, you can choose to either clash swords against your "friend" or just shoot him. As well as choosing either to shoot Samuel before he betrays you, let him signal the enemies for them, or shoot him with a sleep dart and lay him to sleep. This game isn't perfect, some of the puzzle's suck, some of the puzzle's are easier than you'd expect, when you obtain the mask people still think you're wanted, Windblast is nearly useless, and the game suffers from Glitches. So this game does have it's faults, but I think you should shell out some dollars if you want to try out your first First Person Shooter.
    Engine: B-
    Difficulty: A-
    Gameplay: B+
    Final Grade: B

-TheTrueReviews
  8. Aug 21, 2014
    I think of this game as a combination of lots of game so its basicly, Bioshock + Skyrim + Assassins creed = Dishonored but it doesn't make it the perfect game it was a short story with 10 missions (Not counting DLC) But I just didn't get that much gameplay out of it. I give it 7/10 it had good voice acting and good characters but not as good as some of my favorites.
  9. Aug 14, 2014
    One of the best games of 2012, Dishonored excels in visuals, story and obviously gameplay. The stealth is very engaging and full of depth and care. And your targets actually feel repulsive and evil. The missions are very open, and you can even do extra side activities to boost your scores. You will constantly be replaying missions to see if you missed anything. The story is compelling, andOne of the best games of 2012, Dishonored excels in visuals, story and obviously gameplay. The stealth is very engaging and full of depth and care. And your targets actually feel repulsive and evil. The missions are very open, and you can even do extra side activities to boost your scores. You will constantly be replaying missions to see if you missed anything. The story is compelling, and the voice acting is top notch. While the Good/Evil system works awfully, and missions get frustratingly hard. Dishonored is one of the most engaging stealth games of all time. Expand
  10. Jul 25, 2014
    This game's unique, but also irritable. There are many strong points and flaws throughout the major factors of the game. These factors to me are: stealth, combat, story, graphics, maneuverability, and replay value. The story overall is not mind-blowing, but reasonable. Some characters and settings are completely bizarre and some stand out great for the game's overall storyline. I've seenThis game's unique, but also irritable. There are many strong points and flaws throughout the major factors of the game. These factors to me are: stealth, combat, story, graphics, maneuverability, and replay value. The story overall is not mind-blowing, but reasonable. Some characters and settings are completely bizarre and some stand out great for the game's overall storyline. I've seen better storytelling in videogames. The graphics overall are fine and compete with about any other game. Maneuvering and the parkour system are important things for a stealth game like this. Jumping over objects and sliding below airlines feel great. The parkour system actually feels special because you can actually see the motion of the first person graphically. The system though is also a nuisance because you need to be in a close distance, or you can only climb an object if you press the button in the right amount of time. Because of this the system feels tighter compared to other games. Combat is more chaotic than what I would say fun. Combat has no set pattern and doesn't really flow well. Any hostile NPC can join the fight if possible, and this leaves you heavily on elixirs. An annoying part of the game is it seems your foes can dodge most of your blade attacks - besides brawling with a foe in that, at the same time more hostiles will just pull their guns out and shoot. Saying this, Corvo does not have a large portion of health. The biggest part of the game is stealth. You rely on stealth heavily during the missions, and there is no easy way past some parts without doing stealth. The only real problem is the game expects you to be a master of stealth instantly. Most areas are overguarded, and you can blow your cover easily taking a way stealth for a while - and like I said earlier you can't get far without stealth. For stealth lovers, this is your game. For people new to the genera, you may have multiple moments were frustration occurs. Dishonored is an all right game, but the risks the developers made feel more like flaws than brilliant mechanics. Expand
  11. Jul 4, 2014
    Dishonored is a game to buy! At hard difficulty, you will need strategies and strealth to make it. The game offers so much possibilities and gameplay options. It's so fun and immersive! It lets you so many ways to kill enemies the craziest ways possible... I would immediately buy a Dishonored 2. Be creative with it !!
  12. Jul 1, 2014
    A moneycow, It's an "in-between-games" for Bethesda. There are so many cheaptricks in this game from re-using textures excessivly, movements in 3d UI, (and what you actually are able to do with your controller) to storyline and interaction-diversity from both objects to characters. What's good is that they used the AI well. But I might think Arkane Studios F*cked this game up. Even withA moneycow, It's an "in-between-games" for Bethesda. There are so many cheaptricks in this game from re-using textures excessivly, movements in 3d UI, (and what you actually are able to do with your controller) to storyline and interaction-diversity from both objects to characters. What's good is that they used the AI well. But I might think Arkane Studios F*cked this game up. Even with the good reviews, there is no way Bethesda is happy about this title. Expand
  13. Jun 16, 2014
    Pro:
    -Great gameplay with sneaking and action and your choice of which to pursue. Also a number a gameplay mechanics that allow you to take different paths of action for the same goal.
    -Stylistically pleasing: while not impressive in the technical sense the graphics have a unique and pleasing style The only real con is the story left me a little wanting. Don't get me wrong, I did like
    Pro:

The only real con is the story left me a little wanting. Don't get me wrong, I did like it in concept and some of the execution. I mostly feel that the ending didn't tie everything together and show me the aftermath of my actions. The whole time the game tells you your actions, as far as to kill or not to kill, matter and give the story a darker or lighter tone. Well, this should have culminated in much greater effect at the end but all I got was one lousy piece of dialogue that left me VERY WANTING. Otherwise I liked the story, even if I found some parts to be predictable. Don't let any of that detract you, it is really the main reason I give the game a 9 instead of 10. The game is still superb. It is fun and down right cool. Get it!
  14. May 22, 2014
    I've spent about 64 hours, and frankly I want more :). This game may look cartoon-ish, but please don't be fooled by this - the game tests your humaneness from its 1st second till its last one: you may kill everyone you see, or you may kill no one at all - it's up to you. And like Sir Isaac Newton said, every action has a reaction (simple form) - I mean, whatever you do in the game, allI've spent about 64 hours, and frankly I want more :). This game may look cartoon-ish, but please don't be fooled by this - the game tests your humaneness from its 1st second till its last one: you may kill everyone you see, or you may kill no one at all - it's up to you. And like Sir Isaac Newton said, every action has a reaction (simple form) - I mean, whatever you do in the game, all your actions will have a consequences.
    The main part of the game is dedicated to Corvo. Alas, he is silent, which I don't like. But in the add-ons (The Knife of Dunwall, Brigmore Witches), you're playing as Daud, who is much more talkative. Well, Michael Madsen, as Daud, is fun.
    For those who love stealth games, especially Thief 1&2&3: IMHO, this game is even more Thief-esque than the last Thief (2014). It has a good story, a nice NPCs and their dialogues, a lot of perfectly hidden stashes with loot, and you're free to hide from your foes and neutralize them in old Thief style - by sneaking from behind. Also, the game has a lot of tributes to the Thief series, so you'll definitely smile every time you see them.
    Bottom line: it's a must-have.
  15. May 9, 2014
    I've never played a game of this kind. You feel so unique, so special when you play it in your own style. Kill your enemies or be merciful and let them live? Every mission is a opportunity to find alternative way to complete your objective. Of course game rewards you with different endings (every ending depends on style you play) and changes of scenery in the world. By the way, presentedI've never played a game of this kind. You feel so unique, so special when you play it in your own style. Kill your enemies or be merciful and let them live? Every mission is a opportunity to find alternative way to complete your objective. Of course game rewards you with different endings (every ending depends on style you play) and changes of scenery in the world. By the way, presented world is very unusual. A bit like Victorian London with unusual technology and a bit of magic. I was impressed.
    All in all, I think it is very good game and it deserves a 10. Check it out! In my opinion playing this game is a pure pleasure!
  16. Apr 29, 2014
    Although the gameplay quickly becomes repetitive, and the environment is rarely changing, Dishonored is still a good game - not quite the 100's and 99's others have given it, but a good title nonetheless. The art style is stylised similarly to Bioshock infinite, and the freedom the games give you is Hitman taken to the next level - whether you wish to shoot your way out or hide in theAlthough the gameplay quickly becomes repetitive, and the environment is rarely changing, Dishonored is still a good game - not quite the 100's and 99's others have given it, but a good title nonetheless. The art style is stylised similarly to Bioshock infinite, and the freedom the games give you is Hitman taken to the next level - whether you wish to shoot your way out or hide in the shadows, the game caters for that. Expand
  17. Apr 16, 2014
    Un juego fascinante y la posibilidad de pasarte el juego en dos modos, sigilosamente o darles cara, la cantidad de formas de como deshacerte del enemigo como te plazca, y los poderes del protagonista, un videojuego muy al estilo de la saga Bioshock, eso si la trama no es tan espectacular pero se recompensa con las subtramas de los personajes secundarios.
  18. Apr 13, 2014
    This game is a true delight for any stealth fan. Not a bad little runner for action/combat fans too. To my eternal shame I missed this game first time. Borrowed it, played it for an hour, just didn't get it. After Adam Sesslers review of Thief I decided to give Dishonored a try a couple of years later. And loved it. Everything works. Gameplay, story, stealth mechanichs, magic and combatThis game is a true delight for any stealth fan. Not a bad little runner for action/combat fans too. To my eternal shame I missed this game first time. Borrowed it, played it for an hour, just didn't get it. After Adam Sesslers review of Thief I decided to give Dishonored a try a couple of years later. And loved it. Everything works. Gameplay, story, stealth mechanichs, magic and combat are all perfectly balanced. Expand
  19. Mar 16, 2014
    Good game with a great art style but nothing to really make this game stands out. Textures loading is extremely slow and this can be really annoying at some points.
  20. Feb 21, 2014
    I found Dishonored to be a bit of a slow burner and after an hour of two of play time, I was almost ready to throw this game on the scrap heap but I persevered and I am glad that I did.

The most notable thing about Dishonored for me is the fantastic attention to detail that has been put in to the gameplay. Every map and level is unique from the next and there are so many different ways for you to navigate the game. If you find a gung-ho approach rewarding or the stealthy approach, there is something for everyone and whilst I found the stealth takes a while to get used to, I also found it highly rewarding.

The plot is decent and due to the open nature of the game, you can almost write your own story from it. Are you a vengeful sadist who kills everyone and everything on the path to revenge? Or are you a pacifist master of stealth that won't hurt a single person? Every major point in the game offers you the chance to ally yourselves with different individuals or the chance to "destroy" your opponents in unique ways, ranging from a knife to the throat through to propaganda, kidnapping or backhander deals.

The graphics are okay but nothing too special compared to some of the other games available on the 360/PS3. The art style is unique though There is also a Bioshock-esque feel to the world with its dystopian setting and audiologs aplenty. There is also a lot of literature also available as you'd expect to find in other Bethesda games too.

All in all, I thought Dishonored was a very strong game. The only flaws I had with it is that I sometimes found the levels a bit tedious (especially a level just before the end that included the staple 'retrieve-your-stolen-items' mission which is also a chore) and it was quite a short game but due to its variety, it has plenty of replayability.
  21. Feb 17, 2014
    As a fan of stealth games i can positively say without a doubt that this game is nothing short of amazing. First off, its art design is charming and gritty to say the least and the city of Dunwall and it's lore are beautifully fleshed out. The game caters to anyone's specific play style whether you prefer to kill from the shadows, go outright with a sword in one hand and pistol in theAs a fan of stealth games i can positively say without a doubt that this game is nothing short of amazing. First off, its art design is charming and gritty to say the least and the city of Dunwall and it's lore are beautifully fleshed out. The game caters to anyone's specific play style whether you prefer to kill from the shadows, go outright with a sword in one hand and pistol in the other, or simply sneak by unnoticed, never taking a single life in your entire playthrough. The game also highly rewards exploration in its levels and offers many secrets to find and other "creative" ways of dispatching your foes (lethally or non-lethally.) I highly recommend this game to any stealth fan, especially one that desires less linearity in their games. Expand
  22. Feb 7, 2014
    This is the best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  23. Jan 10, 2014
    I know a large number of people enjoyed this game but I found it tiresome. While the game is sold on having deep and meaningful consequences dependant on which route you choose to take, I don't feel that's a fair description. The story is thin and the changes compared to your actions made are minimal. Also, being told that you can fight or stealth is a bit far fetched also, I found theI know a large number of people enjoyed this game but I found it tiresome. While the game is sold on having deep and meaningful consequences dependant on which route you choose to take, I don't feel that's a fair description. The story is thin and the changes compared to your actions made are minimal. Also, being told that you can fight or stealth is a bit far fetched also, I found the combat clunky and the selection of weapons unimaginative. I was looking forward to a Stealth game as I love Metal Gear Solid but this was disappointing. I'm not sure where the comparisons to Bioshock are made either?

The final problem I've got is the enemy AI. At one point on a No Kill run in the final level. A guard sat at the top of the stairs, not moving. Even throwing bottles behind him didn't move him. In the end I managed to get past him but it was ridiculous. The AI wasn't great all in all.
  24. Dec 31, 2013
    Dishonored lets gamers play how they want. One can be stealthy and never kill a soul, or violently destroy whatever stands in their path (although this is generally discouraged). Dishonored's levels are vast puzzles with the end goal being to eliminate the target. The story is interesting although nothing too original, but the steampunk world is incredibly immerses the player. The gameDishonored lets gamers play how they want. One can be stealthy and never kill a soul, or violently destroy whatever stands in their path (although this is generally discouraged). Dishonored's levels are vast puzzles with the end goal being to eliminate the target. The story is interesting although nothing too original, but the steampunk world is incredibly immerses the player. The game brings the stealth genre to new heights and should be played by anyone who is even slightly interested. Expand
  25. Dec 30, 2013
    After the high levels of praise this game has received over the past year and a bit, I finally decided to pick it up, and for $23 i was happy with that purchase. When i first played Dishonored i was skeptical, but went in with an open mind, but never the less i was impressed with the core element of this game: choice. Dishonored is a game that you play your way, whether you want to play asAfter the high levels of praise this game has received over the past year and a bit, I finally decided to pick it up, and for $23 i was happy with that purchase. When i first played Dishonored i was skeptical, but went in with an open mind, but never the less i was impressed with the core element of this game: choice. Dishonored is a game that you play your way, whether you want to play as a murderous monster or go through the game without your blade ever tasting blood, both are possible, and the city of Dunwall changes accordingly to these choices. With this premise in mind, if Dishonored is one thing, it is fun. The gameplay is simply brilliant, whether you are using swords, ranged weapons or magic, you are guaranteed to enjoy using them. There are also many upgrades you can gain for both the protagonist (Corvo Attano) and your magical skills, this again allows you to experiment more with the gameplay and leads to that word again: fun. This is by far Dishonored greatest strength.

The story of this game follows Corvo Attano, who is personal bodyguard for the empress, and is framed for her murder, you then escape from the prison and the death sentence with the help of a group called the loyalists, from there you are given targets to eliminate to bring justice to the city of Dunwall. It is a fairly typical and cliche narrative, the empress is alive for five minutes and results in the inability to care much about her demise, which makes your motivation for revenge somewhat weaker. The targets which you assassinate are ridiculously two dimensional and cliche, their only goal being the complete power over Dunwall. One mission has you assassinate (potential spoilers) a pair of corrupt government officials, can you guess their location? that's right a brothel (end spoilers). The problem with the targets is they lack ulterior motives, you have no motive to take them out, you are just told to, many of the targets are just NPC's and not even characters within the game. Next comes the very predictable plot twist followed by more of the same tired worn out narrative and characters. Simply put the story and characters are The game is instead held up by its brilliant gameplay, but this again suffers due to the fact that i honestly didn't care about getting revenge.

Dishonored really is a unique game, it does so many things right, and delivers choice into the hands of the player, making for one extremely fun experience, its just a shame the story and characters are more two dimensional that the original Sonic game. In my honest opinion, the game is overrated, its a fun play and encourages replayability, and anyone interested in the stealth-action genre or anyone looking for something different should try the game, but if not, then definitely save your money.
  26. Dec 22, 2013
    The thousand ways to complete a part of a mission make this game the best Videogame ever when it comes to pure gameplay, while the Talks between Guards, the look of the city and more make this game the best Videogame ever when it comes to pure atmosphere. Sadly the story is only a 7/10, aswell as the graphics, but the most important (the Gameplay itself) is kinda like a 20/10, whichThe thousand ways to complete a part of a mission make this game the best Videogame ever when it comes to pure gameplay, while the Talks between Guards, the look of the city and more make this game the best Videogame ever when it comes to pure atmosphere. Sadly the story is only a 7/10, aswell as the graphics, but the most important (the Gameplay itself) is kinda like a 20/10, which makes me giving this game a 10/10. Last drop of bitterness: The game is too short and waaay to easy (even on hardest grade), exspecially if you try to stealth.
    The playagainworth is phenomenal: First time=stealthy, but fighting-not every side mission/rune, Second time=stealthy+every mission for complete run, Third time=aggressive or stealthy, but killing many people for different ending and experience, fourth time=nihilistic, stealt, no kill & every side-mission, fifth run=different magics for different experience, etc.
    I have worked a long time to finally have 90% of all achievments and can just say best gameplay ever. The handle of the weapons and magics are just perfect and after 2 hours you just feel like corvo and use the magic you want in the right way at the right time, to get through a hidden way into the building. Whoa!
    10/10 for sure and a must-have for stealth-gamers and fans of Deus Ex or Hitman, but I would say even for aggressive gamers like CoD to for the great feeling of the sword-battle and more.
  27. Dec 21, 2013
    Dishonored is a unique experience. Stealth or not, this game is filled with various choices that effect the outcome of the story. This amounts to a great experience, bogged down only by a few irritating areas.
  28. Dec 20, 2013
    I deeply enjoyed the game, it had a different approach to gaming. One thing that appealed to me was that Corvo isn't forced to kill everyone he sees. You can make it though a good portion of the game without killing anyone. A second is combat is more realistic. In battle, you can't just take out 50 people with ease. Games do that. Dishonored doesn't. Most often, you can only take 4-5I deeply enjoyed the game, it had a different approach to gaming. One thing that appealed to me was that Corvo isn't forced to kill everyone he sees. You can make it though a good portion of the game without killing anyone. A second is combat is more realistic. In battle, you can't just take out 50 people with ease. Games do that. Dishonored doesn't. Most often, you can only take 4-5 people with your sword. This provides a strong sense of realism in gameplay. Great game with a few flaws. Expand
  29. Dec 17, 2013
    One of Top 5 games on this generation. More freedom on gameplay than almost any other game out there. Graphics and style are awesome, really artistic. There are so many ways to go trough this game that one walktrough is totally different from another. You have to own this game and play it over and over again.
  30. Dec 12, 2013
    Honestly really love this game so much. Played through it three times in two weeks. I think an assassin game in which you can choose not to kill anyone at all is pretty awesome. I really don't feel that this game got nearly the amount of recognition it deserved.
  31. Dec 7, 2013
    Cons
    -Brutal graphics
    -poor third person shooter
    -overly challenging gameplay
    -stupid AI (overly reactive or not reactive enough)
    -too much combat content which at times is overwhelming
    -open world is not open.

Pros
    - It only cost seven dollars
    -I enjoy stealth based games
    -suspenseful and overall interesting story
  32. Nov 30, 2013
    Dishonored is very fun, immersive, and just overall badass, the creativity that Bethesda used in the stealth, and combat aspects is immaculate. The only flaw that i'm capable of pointing out is the repetition in some of the missions. Overall if you took Assassins creed, made it first-person and downgraded the graphics, it's Dishonored, personally I think the story could have been a littleDishonored is very fun, immersive, and just overall badass, the creativity that Bethesda used in the stealth, and combat aspects is immaculate. The only flaw that i'm capable of pointing out is the repetition in some of the missions. Overall if you took Assassins creed, made it first-person and downgraded the graphics, it's Dishonored, personally I think the story could have been a little stronger, but it made up for it in its game-play and aesthetics. Well done Bethesda. Expand
  33. Nov 17, 2013
    Dishonored is not focused on length but rather replay value. And I can assure you that after beating Dishonored once, you will be playing it all over and over and over again.
  34. xa4
    Nov 3, 2013
    I simply adore this great stealthily FPS. One of my favourite titles of 2012 which I had lots of fun unlocking each and every achievement.

I would love to write a full review on Dishonored but I don't have time at the moment. In short... Pros: -great stealth dynamics -neat and beautiful graphics (like Bioshock's infinite) -multiple different ways to complete each mission

In short...

Pros:
    -great stealth dynamics
    -neat and beautiful graphics (like Bioshock's infinite)
    -multiple different ways to complete each mission
    -excellent atmosphere and background
    -springrazor!!

Cons:
    -good storyline, but weak approach to get the player interested in it
    -must have skills to play it (not hard but also not easy if you don't know what your doing)
    -not meant for everyone's liking
    -a few other stuff but not something major..

If you love stealth, this is the perfect game for you
  35. Sep 20, 2013
    The powers that you control through Corvo along with the immense stealth and diversity that the graphics scheme make Dishonored one of those games that you will play for hours. Massive replay-factor due to the need for the best score. Outstanding.
  36. Sep 11, 2013
    One of the greatest games of all time. The ratings for this game is low only because of the 78 plus or minus, mentally challenged people who were given permission to review a game they most likely did not even play. This game is great. It has excellent replay value due to the many ways you are allowed to finish a particular mission. I had a blast, I beat the game 4 times. I recommend this game.
  37. Sep 7, 2013
    ---Rating---
    Design: 3 /5 (the mechanics imitate many other games', the narrative is very predictable)
    Polish: 4 /5 (decent graphics and good ambiance in an interesting- if often dreary- setting) Value: 3 /5 (some limited attempts for player freedom and replay value, but short length) ---Review--- Though Dishonored does possess an interesting and mostly original setting, it is
    ---Rating---

---Review---
    Though Dishonored does possess an interesting and mostly original setting, it is extremely derivative in other respects, with its gameplay closely mimicking that of Thief, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed. The nonlinear level design is one saving grace, but this is largely counteracted by Dishonored's linear narrative and progression between levels. It seems like the developers may have run out of ideas to keep the gameplay interesting halfway through, which may have something to do with its rather short length. The graphics are a bit suspect at times, and most of the NPCs aren't very convincing, which makes an already predictable plot twist even more obvious. Fans of action-stealth games will likely enjoy Dishonored, but it's not very innovative and the overall quality of experience reflects that.
  38. Aug 2, 2013
    Gameplay is amazing, as is the whole steampunk setting. It felt like a mix between Bioshock (really atmospheric, and the Powers are sort of similar to Plasmids), Hitman (main focus of the game is assassinations) and Deus Ex (open world, different routes available, choice between stealth and carnage.)

Main problem is the length (I completed it in just over 2 days, admittedly I spent all weekend playing it. Also, it would have been nice to be able to replay the game with the upgrades you earned on your last playthrough (New Game Plus.)
  39. Jul 27, 2013
    After one playthrough of this game I was done and although there were certainly things I liked about it, those did not change the fact that I wanted to get done with it AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Why? Well the best answer is that the story was AWFUL. For starters, the player character is voiceless. Just imagine playing as Joel in the Last Of Us never hearing his voice and never seeing hisAfter one playthrough of this game I was done and although there were certainly things I liked about it, those did not change the fact that I wanted to get done with it AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. Why? Well the best answer is that the story was AWFUL. For starters, the player character is voiceless. Just imagine playing as Joel in the Last Of Us never hearing his voice and never seeing his face. I mean, there’s a reason why developers who want to tell a meaningful, convincing story use cutscenes and dialogue. As it is the feeling of being involved in this world is next to zero, you will simply be following orders in a paint-by-numbers plot. I guess that would be reason #2 why the story sucks. Choices are also meaningless in this game. Unique NPC’s that you choose to spare have no bearing on the story. Nope. It’s the myriad thugs and guards that, should you choose to kill, make a difference which makes one wonder why there are so many lethal options in the game. So what happens is the little girl will become more morose and say “Kill anybody today?” as though you were a bad guy, and then, all of a sudden your boat driver on the last stage will act angry with you and alert the guards. Did I miss something? Did I play the game with malintent or was I simply playing how I wanted to? It’s a judgment of the player’s playstyle, nothing more. However, simply youtubeing the good guy ending revealed that they didn't plan two drastically different and rewarding ending cutscenes, just the same voiceover lameness that seems to pass for “multiple endings” these days. I did love the art style and the swordplay mechanics, though. Expand
  40. Jul 24, 2013
    I've played the game through three times now and each time has been a interesting walk through Dunwall. The game offers so many different ways to complete missions and infiltrate locations that you could play through each mission more than once and still feel the suspense of finding and killing or saving your target. I played the game through on hard all three times, each beingI've played the game through three times now and each time has been a interesting walk through Dunwall. The game offers so many different ways to complete missions and infiltrate locations that you could play through each mission more than once and still feel the suspense of finding and killing or saving your target. I played the game through on hard all three times, each being semi-challenging. The game shines with its use of supernatural powers; allowing fun combos and unique ways to move around each level. I found myself using different combinations every time I played through, as well as trying to get to my targets in different ways, and it kept the game fresh. Dishonored also has books and notes scattered around the city that help provide some lore and back story to help immerse yourself in the world. I'm a sucker for this stuff. It adds time to the game trying to find all of them, and brings the world to life. My first run of Dishonored took around 12-13 hours or so (with subsequent runs each being around half that time) and I never once felt like pacing was a problem or that the story was starting to die out. The game offers multiple endings, each of which have an interesting cut scene that ends the game and wraps up the future of your character and the city of Dunwall. As far as characters go voice acting is sub-par, but gets the job done. I never had any strong connections to any of the characters, but instead I found myself enthralled in the city. I wanted to make sure the city had a positive outcome for the princess, your character, and all the citizens I had read about in their left-behind journals. The graphics remind me of Bioshock's in a way. They're cartoony, but provide a realistic enough looking setting. All in all it's a great game, and for the price you could get it for now it's a must play. Expand
  41. Jul 22, 2013
    Dishonored looks great, spells are fun to use and I love the story. That's about it though. The rest of the game was pretty frustrating and annoying. The AI is very flawed. Trying to go through the game with a stealthy approach seems impossible. I'm constantly being detected by guards and other things without even being seen at all. Seriously, it will show that they have seen myDishonored looks great, spells are fun to use and I love the story. That's about it though. The rest of the game was pretty frustrating and annoying. The AI is very flawed. Trying to go through the game with a stealthy approach seems impossible. I'm constantly being detected by guards and other things without even being seen at all. Seriously, it will show that they have seen my through entire buildings and I'm not exaggerating. In stealth mode and moving at a snails pace they can see me through solid walls. Not only that but sneaking up behind an enemy is also quite difficult as they immediately turn around and just happen to know you are there. Early on, trying to take the non stealthy approach and just killing everyone is way too hard. Even later on it can be quite difficult. Most enemies just pull out their guns and just shoot constantly. It's as if they don't notice they have swords. Also during the 2 second or so time where they are preparing to fire, they cannot be hit by melee attacks. This makes me wonder why it even takes them so long to prepare if they aren't even that vulnerable during that state. The guards and whatnot are also psychic it seems. If you kill someone and no one sees you do it, they just know it's you, without even seeing the body. I'm talking about in an area in which there is a lot of people. And not many of them are hostile, so anyone could have done it. But no, no matter what happens the blame goes to the player. There are also spotlights in the game but you can never see the light shining on the ground. It's as if they forgot to put that in the game. So you have to look at the spotlights directly as it does no good to look at where the light should be shining. There is a good variety of upgrades to be purchased in the game, unfortunately there is no way to get them all. Controls are also a bit clunky at times. Trying to sneak up on a guard and take them out non lethally can be a challenge. As the button to do so is the same as the button to block. So I will be standing behind them, constantly bringing up my sword to block instead of choking them. While it was some fun without all these things annoying me, what really bothered me is that there is NO new game plus. So once you beat the game, that's it. You can replay missions that you did before but you can only have spells, weapons, upgrades, etc. that you had earned up to that point. The only thing I really enjoyed in this game was the spells. I loved using them and wish I could use them more as they would be very useful in previous missions. Unfortunately there is no way to do that.

Overall, I would say to just rent the game, beat it, then be done with it. Really isn't much to do other than that.
  42. Jul 21, 2013
    Bought this because of the hype. That was a mistake. It's not a bad game, but it's not very good or interesting either. It's like Deus Ex with steampunk and without the possibility of playing it the way you want. Teleporting around stabbing the same guard in the back hundreds of times gets old pretty fast. The story wasn't interesting either. Can't understand why people hyped this mediocre game.
  43. Jul 20, 2013
    This game was a totally surprise for me. I loved it. The story is one of the best parts, and I totally got into it. There's ways to optionally dive deeper into the story that I won't reveal but the plotline is rich and very fleshed out. The gameplay is very fun too, and the missions which the game revolves around are all well thought out chapters in the overall story. Many of theThis game was a totally surprise for me. I loved it. The story is one of the best parts, and I totally got into it. There's ways to optionally dive deeper into the story that I won't reveal but the plotline is rich and very fleshed out. The gameplay is very fun too, and the missions which the game revolves around are all well thought out chapters in the overall story. Many of the characters are memorable and interesting.

I 'keep'd the game from GameFly because I plan on playing through again on a harder level. I'm debating on buying the DLC as well.
  44. Jul 13, 2013
    dishonored is a great game and one of the best stealth games out there
    pros
    dishonored is a great game and one of the best stealth games out there
    pros
    -great art style-great enemy variety-tons of freedom (can choose your own path go in anyway you want level up any powers do side objectives-kill or dont kill)-fun levels-interesting to explore-very memorable locations-ending without spoilers makes you feel like what you did was for something-powers are fun to use-great combat-cool gadgets-you can read minds with a beating heart creepy but fun-assassination targets make you want to kill them-some branching dialogue
    cons-story is unoriginal get revenge and save someone whos very important-twist at the end is just thrown in for filler with no explanation to why its there-some missions have no sidequests so you will have less of a reason to explore-games a little easy-not enough environmental kills like gassing a room with people in it
  45. Jul 11, 2013
    Dishonored was my first game after beating new Bioshock. So it has a hard nut to crack. Locations in Infinite was smashing my balls off. Dunwall in Dishonored is quite well designed, but it's ugly, boring and it has no climax. Main characters in Dishonored doesnt have any traits they are furniture, so you dont feal emotions when you kill them. Even little Emily was not an incentive to beDishonored was my first game after beating new Bioshock. So it has a hard nut to crack. Locations in Infinite was smashing my balls off. Dunwall in Dishonored is quite well designed, but it's ugly, boring and it has no climax. Main characters in Dishonored doesnt have any traits they are furniture, so you dont feal emotions when you kill them. Even little Emily was not an incentive to be a good person in this game. All main characters looks thesame even The Outsider, who is the one of most important characters in the game looks common. I agree, game is well scripted and it's not boring. Quests are designed in the good way, but the plot doesnt give you satisfaction after beating one. Maybe there's more options in deducing quests, but hell there is no story in this game! Even if gameplay is very expanded and it has lots of options in it, the game becomes simple game to pass the time. I've sitted to it, just to kill some more people, but not because i wanted to discover Dunwall story or to see what is going to be next. But there are also vices in gameplay. Thereare about 5 types of enemies. AI of all this foes are in retarded dog degree. Sometimes enemies are just that stupid, so they can't see you standing next to them. Probably most overrated game of the year. Expand
  46. Jul 6, 2013
    One of the best games of 2012! It offers players with choices and tactics. My first completion of the game was wonderful, but the second and third was a masterpiece.
  47. Jul 4, 2013
    Appena completato Dishonored con livello di chaos basso. Davvero un ottimo gioco, con meccaniche stealth che ben si adattano all'ambiente circostante lasciando al giocatore una totale libertà d'azione furtiva o omicida. Nessuna novità particolare introdotta nel genere ma buone idee e ben sfruttate. La trama si sviluppa in modo interessante e coinvolgente ed ha un buon finale (almeno quelloAppena completato Dishonored con livello di chaos basso. Davvero un ottimo gioco, con meccaniche stealth che ben si adattano all'ambiente circostante lasciando al giocatore una totale libertà d'azione furtiva o omicida. Nessuna novità particolare introdotta nel genere ma buone idee e ben sfruttate. La trama si sviluppa in modo interessante e coinvolgente ed ha un buon finale (almeno quello che ho visto io). Insomma si merita senza dubbi un'ottimo voto! Complimenti ai ragazzi di Arkane Studios!!! Expand
  48. Jun 27, 2013
    First off this game had a great story where(contiue reading if u want spoilers) your guards betray u stab ur wife and take ur daughter and u have to find her nut throught that fills with some sneaky and good combat but why i reviewed this 6 is because i tried this on easy and felt like i was playing hard it was ridicilouis at one point there was like 4 guards with a dog each and i had lowFirst off this game had a great story where(contiue reading if u want spoilers) your guards betray u stab ur wife and take ur daughter and u have to find her nut throught that fills with some sneaky and good combat but why i reviewed this 6 is because i tried this on easy and felt like i was playing hard it was ridicilouis at one point there was like 4 guards with a dog each and i had low health everytime i would die and it was just impossible and ridiclious. i recommed to hardcore gamers like me no one else Expand
  49. Jun 20, 2013
    One of the best games out there its so fun to play it can make you cry.I hope there going to be dishonored 2 because we could use another one I never kept my copy of this so i'm mad at my self.
  50. Jun 10, 2013
    Despite all the processing power this generation of consoles have to offer modern games all too often want to just funnel the player from one cinematic set piece to the next. For me the very best video games, such as Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex, provides the player with an interesting game world and lets them decide how best to make their way around it. Fortunately Dishonored allows you to doDespite all the processing power this generation of consoles have to offer modern games all too often want to just funnel the player from one cinematic set piece to the next. For me the very best video games, such as Half-Life 2 and Deus Ex, provides the player with an interesting game world and lets them decide how best to make their way around it. Fortunately Dishonored allows you to do just that.

Each and every mission provides players with a number of possible solutions made all the more interesting by the different powers (that are far more than just the usual fire and ice spells so often seen) and weapons that can be found or unlocked throughout the course of the game. As a result it is possible to complete Dishonored without killing a single person or, should you choose, you can simply kick down the front door and fight your way through.

Aside from the fact that the morality system is a little too black and white the main criticism I would level at the game is that it is perhaps over a little too quickly, my first playthrough took about 12 hours, but it is certainly a game I will return to and play differently at some point. This is certainly one to buy.
  51. Jun 4, 2013
    Una vez mas nos demuestran que no hacen falta excelentes gráficos para de genial un juego. En este caso, la historia y otras cosas que diré mas abajo es lo que convierte a este juego en lo mejor que cada uno puede tener en su catalogo. Dishonored. Bueno este juego está ambientado en una época victoriana. Ese sería el contexto de la oscura historia que nos ofrecen. Nuestro personaje seUna vez mas nos demuestran que no hacen falta excelentes gráficos para de genial un juego. En este caso, la historia y otras cosas que diré mas abajo es lo que convierte a este juego en lo mejor que cada uno puede tener en su catalogo. Dishonored. Bueno este juego está ambientado en una época victoriana. Ese sería el contexto de la oscura historia que nos ofrecen. Nuestro personaje se llama Corvo. El se encarga de proteger a la emperatriz y a la realeza. Después de volver de una misión una conspiración se torna en su contra por un crimen que el no cometió y no le queda otra mas que escapar. Mientras transcurre el juego la historia aumenta en intereses y giros simples pero que dan bronca. También a través de libros,notas o diálogos podremos ir conociendo mejor la historia de lo que paso en una ciudad que ahora esta llena de ratas y pestes. Dishonored es un FPS pero a diferencia de los demás es que nos permite explorar todo y acabar nuestra misión de distintas maneras ya sea por distintos lugar, suelo,techos ,ventanas,etc. La verdad que eso me gusto demasiado, ir por cualquier lugar ya que diferentes caminos se terminan conectando en uno solo. El sigilo es como el plato fuerte, podes estar todo una misión sin que te descubran y pasar misiones SIN matar(Algo que yo nunca hice ya que cuando me hacía el sigiloso siempre pasaba algo que me descubrían). En este juego se usa mucho la táctica ya que no podes hacerte el copado y ir a matar a todos a lo Rambo porque vienen varios y te hacen mierda ya que si te de descubren hacen sonar una alarma y caen como 20 soldados a atacar y tengas lo que tengas no resultara fácil vencerlos. Corvo es un personaje muy ágil y poderoso, es un gran asesino. Cuenta con poderes "mágicos" o "sobrenaturales" que nos sirven para defensa, táctica al atacar, tele transportarnos unos cuantos metros, invocar a las mismas ratas para que nos ayuden, etc. También con un arsenal chico desde armas de fuego y flecha, hasta granadas y otra cosa que no me acuerdo como se llama. A lo largo del juego podremos ir juntando plata, talismanes y runas que nos sirven para: Comprar mejorar arsenal, Darte algún que otro tipo de "mini-poderes" y mejorarte/adquirir los poderes. La banda sonora esta muy buena por momentos y ausente por otros. Sonido muy bueno.Lamentablemente el juego lo jugué en gallego y no lo digo por que hayan sido malos los doblajes sino porque no tuve la oportunidad de escuchar la voz de la hermosa Chloe moretz pero ademas de eso muy bueno los doblajes. Me gusto los gráficos,creado por el motor unreal engine 3,no son realistas sino algo mas pintoresco por decirlo así aunque lo mejor sería la dirección de arte. El diseño de la ciudad es mansa y los detalles son muy buenos. Los personajes muy bien hechos. La duración del juego varía entre 10hrs o 12hrs, PUNTOS A FAVOR: Historia, jugabilidad, innovador. PUNTOS EN CONTRA: Los bugs y glitches, aveces los cadáveres después de muertos siguen tiritando. En fin Dishonored es un muy bueno juego aunque a mi no me produjo las ganas de volverlo a jugar de nuevo hasta un tiempito largo pero eso no quita que se los recomiende. Expand
  52. Jun 4, 2013
    simple and frustrating at first but once you gut the hang of it it evolves into a complex, never repetitive, highly enjoyable game. with a detailed environment that adds depth and ambiance to the experience
  53. Jun 3, 2013
    Gran juego, pense al principio que no iba a ser divertido y me atrapo por completo, Tengo ganas de jugarlo con otras opciones para ver los otros finales, Vale la pena,
  54. May 25, 2013
    Iv'e been wanting a new stealth game after Assassin's Crap 3. Dishonored checks everything off my list of expectations for this game. To bad there's no co-op, but its just as fun playing by yourself! Play the game stealthy first then murderous second. The game is just as fun when you're doing a stealthy approach to everything!
  55. May 21, 2013
    At it's core, a fantastic game with solid game play and a original feel on a first person shooter. I just feel they could of done a lot more with it, at times it felt a little cheap rather than feeling satisfaction for using my brain around a certain situation. Also, the trail and error mentality of this games takes it to a new level. Constantly forcing you to save to make sure every inchAt it's core, a fantastic game with solid game play and a original feel on a first person shooter. I just feel they could of done a lot more with it, at times it felt a little cheap rather than feeling satisfaction for using my brain around a certain situation. Also, the trail and error mentality of this games takes it to a new level. Constantly forcing you to save to make sure every inch of progress is docked. A good game, but could of been a lot better. If you're a fan of stealthy games, go for it. If not, give it a miss. Expand
  56. May 16, 2013
    Fantastic game. I started it out like a typical noob and started off killing the badies. Then I realized it was way more fun to avoid detection and not kill and also way more challenging. The fact that it allows for multiple play throughs because of it makes it a well thought out game. One of the best given the XBOX360 lifecycle.
  57. May 15, 2013
    4 Is for the new kind of gameplay bethesda offered us. The rest is and this is the last time i buy some bethesda game. I still don't get why so many people are fond of game like this one or skyrim but this is clearly a stepback. Bored the entiere game, no matter hardest way or not, just bored. When you see the character at the begining you almost know who's going to betray you, you can4 Is for the new kind of gameplay bethesda offered us. The rest is and this is the last time i buy some bethesda game. I still don't get why so many people are fond of game like this one or skyrim but this is clearly a stepback. Bored the entiere game, no matter hardest way or not, just bored. When you see the character at the begining you almost know who's going to betray you, you can say it's written all over their faces. A hero we are not able to just see for few second in a game with no voice, no personnality, no charism is not a hero. Please next time bethesda, let us use your tool i'm pretty sure that anyone with a brain can do better than this.
    You'll begin the game excited but at the end you'll be disapointed
  58. May 4, 2013
    Whether you like killing everything in sight or using cool abilities and magic to play stealthily and get a lot of gamerscore at the end, this game is perfect for you. It has a sort of BioShock-ish steampunk graphic style and well developed characters. This game is so good that i got all of the achievements not for gamerscore but to experience every aspect of this incredible gaming epic.Whether you like killing everything in sight or using cool abilities and magic to play stealthily and get a lot of gamerscore at the end, this game is perfect for you. It has a sort of BioShock-ish steampunk graphic style and well developed characters. This game is so good that i got all of the achievements not for gamerscore but to experience every aspect of this incredible gaming epic. Once i completed my first walkthrough, i did it again without killing any one and it didn't feel like a chore at all. i like how they didn't put in a points sytem like in Hitman Absolution because the points system forces you to be stealthy. In Dishonored, you choose the way you play. I recommend this game to any gamers out there! Definite 10/10! EPIC! Expand
  59. May 4, 2013
    Not bad but I reckon the game is way to slow I mean it's meant to be played as a stealth game too the story is boring the main hero don't talk much and you had to use your powers to escape certain things like use teleport since you can't jump when you want to.

The stealth was not hard infact if you got seen a whole bunch of people show up in front of your eyes sadly this is not like MGS game where they would try to phone people to get you and where this game fails to be even a good game on the side note this is a lot of thinking you must do on certain levels.
  60. Apr 27, 2013
    The plot for this game is great! best game ive played, recommend this if your into stealth games.. it offers unique abilities to make the game more interesting and even though ive seen complaints about graphics, theyre actually not that bad! (if your not a super geeek who cares) worth buying this game though, the game does seem abit short but each level takes its time, thats if you dont goThe plot for this game is great! best game ive played, recommend this if your into stealth games.. it offers unique abilities to make the game more interesting and even though ive seen complaints about graphics, theyre actually not that bad! (if your not a super geeek who cares) worth buying this game though, the game does seem abit short but each level takes its time, thats if you dont go berserk aha and take time off of your xbox instead of staying in one position for 12 hours.

Id like to see a DisHonored 2 if im honest although i cant see that happening because of the ending but who knows?.. another good thing is that as you play the game, the way you play it actually decides the ending you get out of 3 possible endings.. the missions are the same old same old just go and assasinate people.. but there's always optional side missions and new surroundings that take away that feeling that youve just done the same thing. There's also a thousand different paths you can take towards your target which is pretty cool!
    BUY THE GAME
  61. Apr 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not the game i was expecting, good idea, good control, great powers, but still, it's not a bethesda game, if you play other games, you know what i mean...!!!! Expand
  62. Apr 22, 2013
    I think Dishonored will be remembered as one of the most innovative games of 2012. The ideas behind the world of Duwall and the Outsider are very well fleshed out and researched. The links to ancient mysticism and beliefs are almost striking and the dystopia steam punk universe is beautifully put together.

The stealth aspects of the game I personally found to be too difficult to

The stealth aspects of the game I personally found to be too difficult to attempt, I kept getting caught and then it turned into a bloodbath! It is a little bit buggy with textures not appearing properly etc but overall it is a spectacular game.

I really enjoyed this game and for me it deserves GOTY 2012 for its innovation and the fact that it is so different to everything available on the market.

PS Granny Rags is by far one of the scariest old ladies I've ever come across!
  63. Apr 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game has conquered the spot as one of my favorite games of all time, but I think I want to get down to what is good about it first before going into the more negative aspects.
    Starting off, the gameplay. This is the core, pure reason for playing the game and it is done fantastically. The stealthing is VERY viable and fun to maneuver as you pass around or behind unknown enemies to give them what for. Their is a WIDE variety of weapons, if you choose to go that route, such as your sword, crossbow, pistol, grenades, etc. As a major part of the story to help get you through the game, there are various powers you unlock through the use of runes, such as a teleportation move called Blink, a powerful Windblast attack to knock out or kill enemies, Devouring Swarm to summon large swarm of deadly rats, and much more to play with. The gameplay and environment go hand-in-hand, making it highly adequate to both sneak around or eliminate all the enemies.
    On top of that, the graphics and musical scores used for the game are fairly adequate and get across their job as they are supposed to. The lore of the world itself and the mystical element is well done, with much intrigue about The Outsider, the being who delivers your powers to you in the game.

Now, onto the more poor aspects of the game. While the lore of the world CAN be interesting, it is true that the story is not something to be given many praises and that it can be a bit boring to hear the mediocre voice-actors merely spout of their lines without much passion. It truly comes down to an acquired taste, but it doesn't do much compared to the gameplay, along with have the downfall of a silent protagonist in such an eventful game. Also, the final straw that hurts the game: multiple endings.
    In a game all about revenge being everything, you only get the praised good ending by going throughout the game as non-lethal as possible and it hurts the game in the story-telling aspect truly more.

But, overall, Dishonored is definitely an experience to be picked up and enjoyed. It earns a solid rating and if it convinced me to go through multiple playthroughs, I'm sure it can do the same for you.
  64. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I believe that this particular should have never been introduced to the Xbox 360 in the first place. The most relative reason being game-play, the various abilities and powers you receive throughout the game are somewhat difficult to manage, i find myself using several different powers one after the other, and because of the wheel system that is activated by the left bumper, i find myself tediously switching out powers all day long which definitely takes away from the game-play. The story itself seems like nonsense, all we know is that you are Corvo, special agent to the queen, who is then attacked and killed by people with strange powers, then you are locked up and nearly executed being the person accused of the crime. After the escape, the characters motive seems non-existent, it just seems as though you are led by the other characters, not by vengeance, the story doesn't make you like the characters enough for you to care. However, the game concept is something i find enjoyable, something about a technologically advanced victorian era i find intriguing. All in all, the game isn't worth the $60 i paid for it, not for the Xbox anyway. Expand
  65. Apr 12, 2013
    Sure the story is short but where this game is at its greatest is its replay value didn't want to kill anyone in one mission but did replay it. My point is that giving the control to the player means it can be fun for however long you want.
  66. Apr 10, 2013
    Wow. Dishonored shattered my expectations. Someone in my advisory class said something about 'Bioshock" meets "Assassins Creed" so I was instantly curious. I got this game for Christmas and beat it in only 2 days; I was hooked. The story was amazing. At parts I felt enchanted, nostalgic, and betrayed. It was so memorable and so well done. The characters were vibrant and engaging, I fell inWow. Dishonored shattered my expectations. Someone in my advisory class said something about 'Bioshock" meets "Assassins Creed" so I was instantly curious. I got this game for Christmas and beat it in only 2 days; I was hooked. The story was amazing. At parts I felt enchanted, nostalgic, and betrayed. It was so memorable and so well done. The characters were vibrant and engaging, I fell in love with Samuel the boatman, you actually can feel a level of compassion for them. It was a lot of fun to find every way around Dunwall, being as stealthy as you can be. The combat and powers system was one of the best I've had the pleasure of experiencing. (And I can say so for the rest of the game.) Expand
  67. Apr 8, 2013
    The creativity allowed in this game permits a truly unique experience for the gamer. Not only are you allowed to choose your own path in gameplay, but in story too. It is truly a unique game that needs to be experienced.
  68. Apr 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've never been a massive fan of the stealth genre but dishonoured was just so good at what it does its just well worth pay...the only reason why this isn't a 10 is that there was quite a fair amount of bugs in my playthrough of the game Expand
  69. Apr 4, 2013
    i my self thought this game was well thought out but to be this short and you have to play $60 just for it i was not that happy the gameplay was good though storyline was really good i like the decision making it gives you over all i was happy about this game just sad it was so short
  70. Apr 3, 2013
    This is a pretty good game. I actually loved it for about the 5 hours I played it. It was too short. Another thing i didn't like was that your character never spoke so it never felt like you were fully immersed into the game
  71. Apr 2, 2013
    I was recommended this game by two different friends as it had flown under my radar despite the rave reviews, and I didn't play it until I borrowed it from a mate in Feb 2013 (I'd just finished Dead Space 3 so we did a swap).
    My initial impressions were rather good! I dig the art-style (though the comically-oversized hands seem a little unnecessary) and the voice acting (despite lack of depth to the script) is down-pat.
    There are a lot of things this game does right. The stealth mechanic (and increased difficulty for choosing the more subtle approach) and multiple pathways both on the small and grand scale really show the effort Arkane Studios put into this game. It's immensely detailed for a non-RPG, though the lore you can read in the books littered around and the storyline itself was for the most part, forgettable. I couldn't empathise with any of the characters and by the last levels of the game I was merely going through the motions.
    I did get distracted with the release of Tomb Raider (now THAT was a game that had me hooked).
    Dishonored has heart and I can see why people like it, but if the idea of upping the challenge for the "Clean Hands" achievement results in a run whilst repeatedly saving and loading the game and fumbling your way to a murder-free victory, I'll pass.
    I finished the game today after having it in my possession for around two months, but it was an absolute chore by the end. I hit an almost game-breaking (for me, as I didn't want to start the level again) in the Lady Boyle mission that almost had me throwing in the towel. I'll give the game a solid 7 because any higher and I'd be lying to myself.
  72. Apr 1, 2013
    I would most likely grant this game a solid 8.25 rating. The game largely succeeds at what it set out to accomplish but manages to trip up on more than one occasion. This is definitely one of the better stealth games that I have played in recent memory. You take the role of Corvo, the personal bodyguard to the Empress and her daughter, Emily. As you probably already know, the Empress isI would most likely grant this game a solid 8.25 rating. The game largely succeeds at what it set out to accomplish but manages to trip up on more than one occasion. This is definitely one of the better stealth games that I have played in recent memory. You take the role of Corvo, the personal bodyguard to the Empress and her daughter, Emily. As you probably already know, the Empress is slain on your character's watch and Corvo is framed for the dark deed and immediately thrown into prison to await execution. At first glance, this is a fantastic (albeit somewhat cliche) setup for a good revenge story, but as you progress through the game, it never really becomes said story. The people who framed Corvo for the assassination rarely made any sort of appearances, save for when you're sent to assassinate them and so I never quite developed a need to hate them. The story fails to build this hate that's necessary for any good revenge story and so these missions wound up being "Kill this guy because he's supposedly bad". Not to mention that the entire game progresses in a repetitive manner that will quickly bore you of the storyline. I found it difficult to care what the hell happens to the future of Dunwall and what the hell is currently happening to Dunwall as you assassinate targets. The storyline also proves to be quite predictable throughout and there will be multiple occasions where you will have deciphered what happens next before it's even revealed to you. The game attempts its own twist about 3/4's of the way through the game but as I mentioned earlier, you will probably already have it figured out at that point in time. The fact that Corvo is also a silent protagonist means that any NPC interaction is pretty much trimmed to a minimum and so your ability to care for anyone other than yourself becomes quite limited. The inclusion of a supernatural being that bestows your character's supernatural powers feels forced and is entirely unnecessary to the overall plot. The game attempts to include this character as a bigger part of the story but instead, it serves simply as a means of explaining how you're character obtains powers and that's it. The game's environments quickly become bland and rather colorless and the game's climax is extremely unsatisfying. Generally, when a good revenge game or movie concludes, the targeted audience will feel relief and satisfaction knowing that the main character accomplished what he/she set out to do. I felt none of this at the game's conclusion. In fact, I actually began to feel somewhat angry at how unsatisfied I was with how the entire plot panned out. There's two different endings to the story, depending on how many people you actually kill throughout the game. Similar to the original Bioshock, the "evil" ending pretty much sucks and the "good" ending is far and away better. However, unless you want to Youtube it, the only way you can view the other ending is by playing through the entire game again. Honestly, this isn't so bad, as the game does possess some fantastic controls and combat mechanics. In my opinion, I felt that the combat was far too easy. Obviously, the primary goal of the player should be stealth but not every encounter will go so smoothly and this forces you into combat with guards or Overseers. Blocking and countering are key aspects to surviving encounters, unless of course you have ammunition with your pistol (which you always do). Shooting enemies or destroying them with your supernatural powers is far easier than engaging them in swordplay, making any scenario throughout the game a cakewalk. Moving on to positives, the stealth mechanics in the game are top notch and they really give the players an astonishing amount of tools to get the job done. All of Corvo's gadgets are extremely fun to utilize and there's a delightfully wide range of them to choose from to accomplish the task at hand. Whether it be sleeping darts to silently take down targets in a nonlethal manner or explosive bolts to eliminate clusters of enemies at once, it's all up to the player how these scenarios go down. Corvo's supernatural powers are grandly-implemented, never feeling imbalanced or out of place and they really allow you to overcome just about any obstacle. Possessing a guard and walking him into a nearby electrical fence is always good fun. As is with any good stealth game, there are multiple paths that you can take to successfully eliminate guards and complete missions. It's always a treat to become the silent predator lurking from above, waiting for that one guard to be alone before pouncing. Overall, Dishonored is a treat for stealth-game fans. The stealth mechanics are surprisingly well-done and allows for tons of freedom in how the player chooses to accomplish tasks. However, the story is weak and predictable and if you have never been a fan of stealth games before, I highly doubt that this game will change your mind. Expand
  73. Mar 29, 2013
    Excellently made game; the game-play is fresh in its approach but not dauntingly new, the basic concepts are familiar from games like those of the the Thief and Batman: Arkham series, but with enough original concepts to keep you interested. The plot is not as strong as I would have hoped but you always know what you are working towards in the game and this makes missions more rewarding.Excellently made game; the game-play is fresh in its approach but not dauntingly new, the basic concepts are familiar from games like those of the the Thief and Batman: Arkham series, but with enough original concepts to keep you interested. The plot is not as strong as I would have hoped but you always know what you are working towards in the game and this makes missions more rewarding. Furthermore, the way in which you carry out missions is great; either stealthily and without killing or simply killing everyone you see (or a mixture of both) gives a lot of replay value to Dishonored. Buy it. Expand
  74. Mar 28, 2013
    Good investment. I had a lot of fun with it. It was the first game in a very long time which I replayed right after finishing my first walk through. While a narrow environment, you still have a number of options on how to approach the missions. Some of the abilities you receive are very mighty and make the game play unnecessary easy, but by declining them the second time, the challengesGood investment. I had a lot of fun with it. It was the first game in a very long time which I replayed right after finishing my first walk through. While a narrow environment, you still have a number of options on how to approach the missions. Some of the abilities you receive are very mighty and make the game play unnecessary easy, but by declining them the second time, the challenges are quite right. Visuals are good, atmosphere and some elements remind a lot of Thief 3 which is a good thing from my perspective. Expand
  75. Mar 26, 2013
    A perfect game, If you wished you had Assassin's Creed type assassinations and excellent fps type controls in one game, Then Dishonored is for you. It expertly mashes a beautiful story with fun combat and worth it upgrades that so few games have. The only problem is that there is not enough stealth upgrades, Sure you get a silent walking upgrade, But i would like some better sword upgradesA perfect game, If you wished you had Assassin's Creed type assassinations and excellent fps type controls in one game, Then Dishonored is for you. It expertly mashes a beautiful story with fun combat and worth it upgrades that so few games have. The only problem is that there is not enough stealth upgrades, Sure you get a silent walking upgrade, But i would like some better sword upgrades for stealth. Expand
  76. Mar 19, 2013
    Dishonored feels like a game that inherits 75% of its history from Thief and 25% from a mix of System Shock/Bio Shock games. As such its certainly a first person game, and you can shoot guns but I would personally not call it a "first person shooter'.

I almost didn't buy this game based off of some reviews, but I took a chance and I was well rewarded. Much of the depth of this game comes from playing it the way you want your character to work and how you want the end game outcome to be influenced.

If you are simply playing the game to beat each level as fast as possible the game will certainly feel short. You can hit the primary objectives in quite a few levels relatively quickly. Mow down a few guards with your guns and knives and complete the objective next level up.

If however you want to play a more stealthily game and play towards certain goals; like no one being alerted/alarmed during a level or completing a level with minimal (or perhaps no) deaths you can do that as well. This may require you to take the rooftop route, and find a secret back balcony entrance to the building instead of a front door but the designers will reward this alternate route taking with story interjections that you would otherwise miss, extra loot, and some times even side-quests.

Whichever route you take you can upgrade your character similar to system shock bio shock with steampunk like upgrades to your characters abilities and equipment. Want to stabilize your cross bow and improve its range and damage? No problem. Want to be more stealthy and have bodies dissapear in a puff of smoke to leave no trail for your enemies to discover? Earn enough points and these skills will be yours.

My personal feeling is Dishonored is a top notch game for what it wants to be: a worthy fusion sucessor to the Thief/Bio Shock genre.

For those people looking only for a run and gun shooter it is going to feel a bit of a disappointment. Some of those players may make the switch in mentality early in the game and find themselves having fun anyways. Otherwise if you dislike anything that doesn't focus purely on action you might pass this up or wait until its on sale so you don't feel cheated.
  77. Mar 14, 2013
    I was so excited for this game as it looked fresh and a different game to try out plus im a huge fan of stealth based games. After playing this game it was absolutely terrible. Graphics, story and all the characters looked the same got kinda boring felt like i killed the same guy a 1000 times. Gameplay for the game was quite fun but dosnt justify everything else wrong with the game. FeltI was so excited for this game as it looked fresh and a different game to try out plus im a huge fan of stealth based games. After playing this game it was absolutely terrible. Graphics, story and all the characters looked the same got kinda boring felt like i killed the same guy a 1000 times. Gameplay for the game was quite fun but dosnt justify everything else wrong with the game. Felt robbed out of my money this game was definitely over hyped. Expand
  78. Mar 10, 2013
    it could have been better, specially from a game that is an entire copy from bioshock and has seen many games that used it recipe (like singularity, which is even better than DH).
  79. Mar 8, 2013
    This game has brilliant gameplay, an unique art style and is just really fun to play .The only complaint being the short campaign and questionable storyline
  80. Mar 7, 2013
    You know what? I freaking love this game. Now I never give an opinion on a first play through, unless the game is so kick*** or terrible that the deal is sealed. If it's middling I play again, now that I have a good handle on the mechanics and environments. Dishonored is really fun and can be played with very different strategies through each play through and if you do you will be rewardedYou know what? I freaking love this game. Now I never give an opinion on a first play through, unless the game is so kick*** or terrible that the deal is sealed. If it's middling I play again, now that I have a good handle on the mechanics and environments. Dishonored is really fun and can be played with very different strategies through each play through and if you do you will be rewarded with significantly different dialogue and ending. On my second play through the last scene had different dialogue and took place in a different location! Nice surprise that. You can go killer commando, stealth, non-lethal, or ghost and have a really different experience. Once you understand your powers you can be whatever kinda Corvo you want to be and do things totally different. Each play through for me was really fun. It's the kind of game that I would go back to like a good book on a rainy day.The acting is good, the set design interesting, the story, I think is a really good one, the universe cool. Combat just fine. One level I played three different ways, finding a different way to make my way around every time. Love it. If you give it a chance, there is so much to here to be had...good game. Expand
  81. Mar 5, 2013
    Well done Bethesda you utter bastards for tricking me again. Time after time they show games that look good but I very rarely buy, however when I do it ends up being crap like Brink and I end up overlooking brilliant games like RAGE and Dishonoured.
    Corvo Attano is an assassin for the Empress of Dunwall, a city riddled with crime, scum and a deadly plague spread by rats. When Corvo returns from an unsuccessful search for a cure to the plague the Empress is assassinated, her daughter and heir to the throne taken and you are accused for the crime. 6 months of jail time later and with a little assistance you escape to hunt down the power hungry aristocrats of Dunwall to gain information on the heirs whereabouts, take her back and no longer be dishonoured, however the roots of evil and corruption run deep in the streets of Dunwall so this will be no easy task.
    Dishonoured at its heart is a stealth game, however it can be played as a melee focussed action game, requiring you to mix sword attacks, magic powers and ranged weaponry such as crossbows pistols to take down your foes. The game lasts around 6-7 hours which is disappointingly short however these hours are insanely good fun.
    Dont be put off by the length or the stealth focused gameplay if that isn't your thing because Dishonoured is easily one of the best games of 2012.
  82. lox
    Mar 4, 2013
    I loved this game. It was like Assassin's Creed mixed with Bioshock. The plot is refreshingly simple, you play a royal guard with supernatural abilities who's mission is to avenge the death of the queen and save her daughter, the future heir. The gameplay was so much fun to me, teleporting and assassinating in this game made me feel like a badass. I thoroughly enjoyed every mission in thisI loved this game. It was like Assassin's Creed mixed with Bioshock. The plot is refreshingly simple, you play a royal guard with supernatural abilities who's mission is to avenge the death of the queen and save her daughter, the future heir. The gameplay was so much fun to me, teleporting and assassinating in this game made me feel like a badass. I thoroughly enjoyed every mission in this game, as well as the side quests. There were a few moments in this game that were irritating: like being sighted by a guard when I was clearly behind cover, but that's really the only gripe I have for this awesome game. This game takes patience, since it is primarily a stealth game. Most people who complain about the games length most likely hack slashed their way through every mission and didn't take the time to thoroughly enjoy the game. Needless to say, length was not an issue for me, having beat it twice on high and low chaos. Both times finding as many runes and bone charms as I could, completing almost every side quest and watching every cutscene. By playing in this manner, it took me a day to beat the game in high chaos and another day to beat it in low chaos mode. Dishonored is an entertaining assassination/stealth based game with a new vision that works. Expand
  83. Feb 28, 2013
    THIS GAME IS THE EPITOME OF A GAME THAT IS HYPED SO MUCH BUT ENDS UP A COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT. There is nothing great about this game, anyone who gives it over an 8 is bias and doesn't know what they are talking about. First of all this games stealth is horrible all you do is just hide behind something want for people to pass and then run pass them. The cartoony art style is kind of dumbTHIS GAME IS THE EPITOME OF A GAME THAT IS HYPED SO MUCH BUT ENDS UP A COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT. There is nothing great about this game, anyone who gives it over an 8 is bias and doesn't know what they are talking about. First of all this games stealth is horrible all you do is just hide behind something want for people to pass and then run pass them. The cartoony art style is kind of dumb personally I would prefer a more realistic feeling to the graphics. There is barely even free roam, the environments are so dull, plain, and boring. There is barely even a story AND THIS IS A FRIGGIN ROLE PLAYING GAME. All it is that this person gets killed right next to you and since you were at the scene everyone thinks you did it. You go to jail and the guards literally give you a key to escape the jail. After that you try to find out who killed that person. Combat is dull just plain and simple melee combat, some guns and skills to use. That does't sound worthy of a 8, 9, or especially a 10 does it. Trust me you will be disappointed if you make the mistake and purchase this turd. At least I got it half off, but then it still wasn't worth it. Expand
  84. Feb 18, 2013
    Starting to play this game at the start I knew this was gonna be a good enough game, but when you escape the prison you will fall in love with this game. You play as Corvo who is the bodyguard of the Empress who gets murdered by assasins. After been acused for killing the Empress you go to prison and the games story just more interesting. Another thing I love about this game is that is hoStarting to play this game at the start I knew this was gonna be a good enough game, but when you escape the prison you will fall in love with this game. You play as Corvo who is the bodyguard of the Empress who gets murdered by assasins. After been acused for killing the Empress you go to prison and the games story just more interesting. Another thing I love about this game is that is ho you choice of taking out your foes like killing everyone you see with the power of spawning rats to devour your foes or not kill a single soul (I did I it of sneak killing but mainely not killing anyone) and it all affects the ending. Only flaw is stealth is a little messed up and needs bit of fixes. But overall Dishonored is the Bioshock and Assassins Creed met and make this and hope for some type of sequel. Dishonored 9.2/10 Expand
  85. Feb 15, 2013
    This is one incredibly memorable stealth action adventure. Dishonored gives the player a handful of fun and exciting tools, all incredibly flexible for mixing and matching gameplay styles. They are hard to pick up, challenging to master, but incredibly fun once dash across a roof top, possess a rat, sneak up behind a guard, jump out of the rat, assassinate him, and teleport back up toThis is one incredibly memorable stealth action adventure. Dishonored gives the player a handful of fun and exciting tools, all incredibly flexible for mixing and matching gameplay styles. They are hard to pick up, challenging to master, but incredibly fun once dash across a roof top, possess a rat, sneak up behind a guard, jump out of the rat, assassinate him, and teleport back up to the rooftop. PHENOMENALLY satisfying. The story is fairly interesting, but there are some inconsistencies and some rather poor design choices that mar the experience. The core of the game gets everything done right: first person assassination with a dose of stealth and run and gun. It's an incredibly exciting game, and a hard one to put down at that. The story is pretty exciting but simple, but it's the rich and dramatic world that will keep you invested for the 15-20 hour run time. There are a couple of truly unique levels, and playing through the game without killing anyone is a gleeful challenge (to an avid fan of Metal Gear Solid). The ending leaves much to be desired, though, as it proves to be sloppy and rushed. Fans of Assassin's Creed or Half Life will really enjoy this game, as it executes first person stealth, exploration, and gameplay very well. It's just the sloppy story and ending that leaves a somewhat negative impression. So, in the end, triumphant and polished gameplay, intriguing world building, but weak and lacking story. Expand
  86. Feb 14, 2013
    I knew, going in, that the game was crafted using the Unreal 3 engine; however, Dishonored looks like it was made in Source. There’s a tell-tale “dustiness” to the colors and textures, and a simple elegance fueling the stylized fire that falls solidly within the purview of Valve’s eight-year-old darling. It adds to the character of Dunwall and its denizens, just as much as the bodyI knew, going in, that the game was crafted using the Unreal 3 engine; however, Dishonored looks like it was made in Source. There’s a tell-tale “dustiness” to the colors and textures, and a simple elegance fueling the stylized fire that falls solidly within the purview of Valve’s eight-year-old darling. It adds to the character of Dunwall and its denizens, just as much as the body dimorphism does. Drawn, gaunt faces are severely drawn and gaunt; angular chins and noses look fashioned out of steel-work; and round noses are comically bulbous but still there’s an underlying realism that sells the visuals. Dishonored doesn’t try to compete on detail, instead relying on the intelligent use of creamy colors, highly stylized character art, and brilliant lighting. The game looks as if Tim Burton commissioned, and then oversaw a Norman Rockwell oil painting. It’s enchanting, and it’s used to tell us all sorts of things about the world… but more on that, later.

The diversity in mission locations is excellent, as well. From falling down industrial districts and whiskey distilleries, to sewers, to towers and palaces, to fortresses and brothels you’ll never grow tired of creeping through the nine chapters. All the while, the soft touch of the graphics applies appropriate amounts of grime and polish where needed, unifying these disparate locations into a single, believable cityscape. This diversity is reflected in your enemies, as well. One minute you’ll be aiming for the High Overseer, battling his masked religious zealots, and the next you’ll be taking out the Town Guard to get to aristocratic twins. Back alley gangs and a clandestine cadre of assassins will also give you plenty of trouble. Provided how unfortunately short the game is, you’d never be able to tell based on this clean, deep presentation.

The gameplay is just as poetic. For my first play-through, I went non-lethal/stealth. I was determined to make sure no one saw me, and everyone was left alive, if a little worse for wear. I wasn’t afraid of confrontation, I just made sure it was on my terms, often intentionally seeking villains out to subdue, so I could have my run of the place without worrying about anyone spotting me, because they were all unconscious Had I wanted to, I could have avoided everyone, stuck to the rooftops, and not touched a single soul but the high value targets each mission is based around. Or I could have carved a bloody swath through Dunwall in just as many ways…

If you favor gadgets, you’ll find a array of tinkered items that would make any engineer jealous grenades, pistols, shrapnel traps, explosive bullets, incendiary crossbow darts, sticky bombs and they’re all upgradable. Some you’ll need to search out blueprints for, but even on my stealth play-through, where I was far more concerned with staying out of view, I encountered several as a matter of course. If you prefer a more supernatural approach, you have nine distinct “spells,” gifts from the Outsider, from which to choose some offensive, such as Devouring Swarm, which summons a pack of ravenous rats to consume enemies; and Bloodlust, which allow you to store up power and then unleash it in a storm of steel, blood, and guts. Or, you can use others that aid you in more subtle ways, like Possession, which does exactly what it says; or Dark Vision, which gives you the power to see through walls.

Verdict: ++Good (9.5 out of 10) Though not a sandbox title at it’s core, Dishonored successfully introduces sandbox elements to the FPS genre (much like its spiritual predecessors Thief and Deus Ex) while maintaining a focused purpose and plot. You really only have two outcomes to choose from (lethal, or non-lethal) for any given mission, but the way in which you get there is entirely in your hands. The powers, weapons, and gadgets are fun and diverse, and the city of Dunwall is exquisitely rendered and realized. Though the plot is predictable and rather short, the visual narration and player influence come together to make Dishonored a lesson the industry can learn from.
  87. Feb 13, 2013
    Probably the best game I played in 2012, I love how the game uses its art style and the story telling is amazingly well done, the game is very immersive and overall a great game.

Only problem is the game is quite short, it has multiple endings but you want more after.
  88. Feb 10, 2013
    Introduction
    Introduction
    If I’m honest, I didn’t know what to expect when I picked up this game. I’d heard a lot of praise given to it and decided to give it a try. You play as Corvo, a trusted bodyguard to the empress and her daughter Emily. But then things get nasty when the empress is murdered, her daughter’s kidnapped and you’re thrown into prison framed for her Fortunately, some nice fellows help break you out and recruit you as an assassin to get revenge on the guys who ruined your life. The Game
    Over the course of the game you’ll encounter ‘the outsider’. This guy gives you special powers such as teleportation and rat summoning…pretty cool huh?
    The game itself looks amazing! From dark and dingy sewers, to aristocratic house parties, you get a real sense of atmosphere as you stalk your way through the games nine missions. The real highlight of the game is the gameplay itself. Dishonored gives you freedom to choose how you kill your targets. Do you stealthily kill them from behind? Do you run head-on and shoot them? Or do you melt them in a sauna? There is so much variety in this game that I immediately started another playthrough when I finished first time. Also, there are a ton of collectables to find such as runes to upgrade your powers and bone charms, which add slight alteration to Corvo himself. Conclusion
    Overall, this game is VERY well done. The first person camera adds to the adrenaline you feel as you sneak around areas hiding from passing guards and looking around for vantage points to get the drop on them. Although nine missions may not sound a lot, they are by no means short missions. The game inspires multiple playthroughs with many different ways to accomplish your tasks. Although I do wish there was a new game plus option to let me replay the missions with all the powers I acquired during the first playthrough. If you rush through this game, then you’d be missing out on a great gaming experience.
    Dishonored gets an excellent 9/10
  89. Feb 5, 2013
    Il gioco ha una trama originale, l' ambientazione curata e Londra del 1800 ha un fascino incredibile affiancata alla tecnologia dei nostri tempi. L' approccio stealth il più divertente e i poteri sono equilibrati, i checkpoint sono frequenti, peccato per una grafica non molto dettagliata, ma il gioco resta ottimo.
  90. Feb 3, 2013
    Pros- Good story, great atmosphere, enemy A.I. is spot on, the powers are useful, the combat is decent, Dunwall is an interesting place, and last but not least it looks and sounds pretty good.
    But Corvo is a pretty stale character, the stealth mechanic is broken. Sometimes I walk right in front of a guard and he does not notice me and other times I am perfectly hidden and get rushed from nowhere. Game is also on the short side if you follow the main story arch not explore every nook in the universe they have built.
    The combat kept me coming back. It was a blast figuring out to ways of dealing with guards. This is a game like Assassins Creed and Metro 2033. The game is really good but a little flawed but it got me excited enough to see the sequel when it comes out.
  91. Jan 25, 2013
    I had to log on after reading the negative reviews. These trolls have obviously never played a Bethesda game before. This game was amazing. If you like stealth games that reward you if you take your time, you will love this game.
  92. Jan 18, 2013
    Certainement le jeu de l'année. Il n'est pas le plus beau mais l'ambiance qu'il s'en dégage avec des moments mémorables qui resteront longtemps, vivement le deux.
  93. Jan 18, 2013
    Bethesda done it again. Mixing Skyrim and a little bit of BioShock, Dishonored is a game totally addictive and compelling, that looks awesome (Besides some character expressions flaws) and also has a great gameplay. I mean, just the character Corvo and all the things he can do is awesome. We can turn people into ashes, possess rats or invoke a group of rats to eat someone, teleport whileBethesda done it again. Mixing Skyrim and a little bit of BioShock, Dishonored is a game totally addictive and compelling, that looks awesome (Besides some character expressions flaws) and also has a great gameplay. I mean, just the character Corvo and all the things he can do is awesome. We can turn people into ashes, possess rats or invoke a group of rats to eat someone, teleport while flying around, and lots of stuff. Also, we can choose how to pass our different "tasks". Corvo is an assassin, but that doesn't mean you should kill everyone. For example, in the game you have tons of guards that will want to kill you at sight. You can approach to them slowly and slit their throats, or you can do "something" (I don't know what the hell is) that makes them unconscious and carry the body around to hide it. It's a much more difficult way to play the game, but the game promises it's the most rewarding. Also, some missions have Player Choice implementation which results great, and although after you finish the story there's no much reason to play it again, Dishonored is still all about the journey. The only problem I had with the game is the problem Bethesda is always struggling with: A good story, with good voice acting and dialogue. Yes, Dishonored looks amazing but not in the plot part. The games suffers from melodrama, but mostly from trying to have a poetic style, to tell a story mostly boring and plain with nothing good to offer. There are some twists, most of them poorly executed, making the game a little bit disappointing. Also, the fact that when the story ends you can't play it in "Sandbox" mode is a little bit a minus. I mean, I got to the end of the game with only a quarter of the powers unlocked, and haven't upgraded many of them. If that's enough reason to play the game again, good for you. I was expecting the Free world Bethesda so proudly showed on previous games. So, Dishonored is about gameplay. You shouldn't expect Game of the year quality, but just fun to make the game good. Bethesda has to improve the story on their games, but that doesn't keep Dishonored from being one of the most played games of this year, and one of the most compelling ones of all time. Expand
  94. Jan 16, 2013
    This game is great. Weather you are slaying everyone in site or sneaking past everyone without killing a soul, this game delivers. The story is a simple tale of reclaiming your honor through revenge with some predictable twists here and there, but the story is great and regardless of bringing the city to the brink of destruction or keeping it and yourself under control, every ending isThis game is great. Weather you are slaying everyone in site or sneaking past everyone without killing a soul, this game delivers. The story is a simple tale of reclaiming your honor through revenge with some predictable twists here and there, but the story is great and regardless of bringing the city to the brink of destruction or keeping it and yourself under control, every ending is great. The game changes 2 of the missions every play through which are both my favorites, but the other missions provide there own challenges in the form of numerous paths of varying difficulties depending on how you build your character or in what ways you are limiting yourself in your play-through. If you kill every one and every target the final missions change to reflect the fear your targets have, while playing mercifully will leave the more wide open and easier to finish off. The Powers I found varying in usefulness. My first run was pure stealth with no kills, no powers beside blink level 1, and no detection, and it offered me a unique way of playing that required thought and lots of saving. My second run lead me to learn that Blink and Dark Vision are very useful while Agility is decent and the rest of the powers I used were novel at best, but that was because of how I played. Even when killing everyone I kept to the shadows at times waiting for the moment to strike.

The levels are all very different besides the 2nd and 3rd which share there first sections, but have unique areas in which to kill the target(s). The time of day varies which will try and force you to adapt a different style of play depending on how hard or easy it is to hide. The upgrades range for useful to pointless, and unfortunately none will help the merciful assassin besides 2 to maybe 4, but when it comes to combat they can really change the game.

My only problem with this game is that new play-throughs overwrite the replay mission stats of other play-throughs. This means that that run through where you hadn't spent any upgrade points on supernatural powers until the last level allowing for you to approach the finally with any combination of powers was overwritten by the time you spent them all. Same goes for mission clear stats. You really proud of completing the game without being seen or killing anyone? Hope you aren't planning on replaying the game without taking some screen caps first.

As for the game overall, it's quite possibly my favorite title of the year and I look forward to the major DLC coming in the Spring.
  95. Jan 16, 2013
    This game makes me proud to be a gamer.

Its a new IP but its a "spiritual sequel" to the thief series... the best fpsstealth games ever made.

Its well writte, good dialog, great art, and enough lore to keep you wanting Dishonored 2 :)

Buy this game
  96. Jan 15, 2013
    This is a game that not only uses quick thinking but also a wide display of weapons, whether the story line is obvious or not, it is made a complex game that makes you think. I see that most of the critics on this website, either do not play video games, or they are whiny people that don't like the challenges of games. Play Timeshift and if you like it, you have a right to comment on theseThis is a game that not only uses quick thinking but also a wide display of weapons, whether the story line is obvious or not, it is made a complex game that makes you think. I see that most of the critics on this website, either do not play video games, or they are whiny people that don't like the challenges of games. Play Timeshift and if you like it, you have a right to comment on these types of games, otherwise keep them to yourself! Expand
  97. Jan 15, 2013
    This game is probably the best new IP since Asassins creed . I think the game play is its best asset . They created an awesome world with interesting characters and brilliant story . everything in this game is fresh and its story is enthralling from the moment you played it to the end. Cant wait to see what they do with this series.
  98. Jan 7, 2013
    This game is an innovative marvel and should be rated in the 90's on metacrtic. I haven't seen a better game even close this year. I love that you can play this game in a multitued of ways from pure stealth, to pure guns ablazin, to a combination platter of the two. As well, the overall artistic style is so subtletly done to perfection with hints of comic book, steampunk, and highThis game is an innovative marvel and should be rated in the 90's on metacrtic. I haven't seen a better game even close this year. I love that you can play this game in a multitued of ways from pure stealth, to pure guns ablazin, to a combination platter of the two. As well, the overall artistic style is so subtletly done to perfection with hints of comic book, steampunk, and high saturation. None of it is in your face and is all maintained at an exquisite. Suffice it to say, I love this game. Expand
  99. Jan 5, 2013
    I find the 8 campaign missions enough for the different ways you can replay this game, plus all the different ways you can play are well supported instead of focus on some. However, some problems I found include textures not loading correctly, which happened fairly often, plus the ending was abrupt; along with the rest of the story, it felt like things were overly explained. Overall a goodI find the 8 campaign missions enough for the different ways you can replay this game, plus all the different ways you can play are well supported instead of focus on some. However, some problems I found include textures not loading correctly, which happened fairly often, plus the ending was abrupt; along with the rest of the story, it felt like things were overly explained. Overall a good game, but the story could have been presented better. Expand
  100. Jan 4, 2013
    Beautifully crafted and artfully written, Dishonored takes us to a Whale-oil-punk dystopia known as Dunwall. Our protagonist must prove his innocence by killing or otherwise neutralizing the group who framed him for the murder of his charge, the Queen. The game uses a leaning system to allow the player to sneak around levels filled with guards, plague-infested civilans and traps. TheBeautifully crafted and artfully written, Dishonored takes us to a Whale-oil-punk dystopia known as Dunwall. Our protagonist must prove his innocence by killing or otherwise neutralizing the group who framed him for the murder of his charge, the Queen. The game uses a leaning system to allow the player to sneak around levels filled with guards, plague-infested civilans and traps. The player can choose whether to rely on stealth or combat, and their actions affect how the story develops. I gave this game a 7, because it looks great, has an awesome story, great mechanics and awesome style. However, replay value is almost nonexistent. The game is design to be played twice: once by sneaking and killing no one, and buying no powers, and a second time buying all the powers and murdering everything. After you do that, theres not much more to do. Expand
  101. Oct 14, 2012
    Second review, after playing the game for a while. My score for it hasn't changed, still 10/10. People have complained about the length but achievements wise, you have to replay the game many times, and u get to study each map so for me the length is perfect. The story, yes it isn't the greatest or most dramatic but honestly that's not why we play this game. Graphics on the 360 leaves muchSecond review, after playing the game for a while. My score for it hasn't changed, still 10/10. People have complained about the length but achievements wise, you have to replay the game many times, and u get to study each map so for me the length is perfect. The story, yes it isn't the greatest or most dramatic but honestly that's not why we play this game. Graphics on the 360 leaves much to be desired but it didn't bother me at all. It looks better on PC, which is puzzling. The reason we play this game is for the gameplay and concept and both of those have been implemented Brilliantly. The abilities are all significant and unique, the maps all have multiple paths that u learn about each time u play. For the intrigued you have the ability to be creative. Don't put this game down for not being an open world rpg. That's not what it is it's not assassins creed. It's dishonored and it's a brilliant game. Collapse

1. Nov 14, 2012
    Precise and elegant systemic design engenders an absurd degree of player agency, but is marred somewhat by a sloppy, unconvincing narrative and soulless characters. [Dec 2012]
  2. Oct 31, 2012
    What is there is so compelling that the lack of additional stages can't help but feel like a disappointment. The game's strengths are a double-edged sword. Regardless, this is still one of the best games of this year. With a bit of work, a potential sequel could be one of the best games of any year.
  3. Dishonored is never able complete that transformation from a game into a totally new and exciting world to inhabit. To be sure, our mostly positive rating reflects that this game is well-structured with all the pieces you'd expect and story flexibility will offer up a unique adventure for every player. It's a promising and mostly enjoyable start to what will perhaps be an ongoing series, but it lacks the emotional punch that could make it great.