5.0

1. Jun 6, 2015
    Well i gotta say, i gave it a shot. I'll admit that i wasn't a big fan of the character design changes, but with the new skins you can download i figured heck that's an easy fix. Its the gameplay that cant be fixed though, and it was terrible.

I can say, i hate Dante's new attitude, and there where a few key moments where if i where in the room with him in a few instances, for example when he would act like a hard ass to that spray paint girl, who was the victim of sexual preditors and all that, I would have had to wup his ass. I have a pretty short patience for that sort of conduct. Which is why it makes a good bad guy charector, not so much a hero. It reflects a type of insecurity with a person who is struggling with his manhood and feels that they need to prove their strong every chance they can, which are qualities i dont find suitable in a hero. BUT, those things are easy to ignore because their fictional and you can skip cut scenes.

It was the dumbed down fighting and rediculous "alternate demention dreemland" bullcrap that ruined the game for me. I like having to learn every combo to perfection in order to getting super stylishes and stuff. I DON'T like being given them for using the same move over and over, and then being forced to use certain combos in repition on certain enemies. I felt like i was just mashing buttons most of the time. and WAY TO GO with just trumping stinger with the grappling hooks.

Why is everyone obsessed with alternate universes anyway? Screw dreamland. It's too easy to write the whole thing off as just an illusion. They had a good plot with the media being controlled by demons, why didnt they just have the demons manipulating footage and altering peoples memories with that soda and hypnosis, and have everything happening in the drudges of reality, the back allys where people dont go because their so dangerous. I dont know about other people, but my work takes me into these hell pits and dark allys here on earth, and it wouldnt be hard to convince someone they where controlled by demons lol. Thats kinda where the myths and legends came from in the first place. so why muddle that with some fantasy dream trip?

Its bad when Men In Black has a better plot that something you've written. and its even worse when you steal the mechanics of a game *cough*castlevania LOS*cough* that based its mechanics of off the game that you are remaking, which was the trail blazing bar setting masterpiece written in video game history. And its even worse when you make those mechanics choppy and slow, to the point where the player has to take his time while playing rather than fry his brain creating combos.

bottom line, its a fun game. The attitude of Dante will make your blood boil, and the fighting mechanics get a little monotonous, and you spend all of your time in dream world cause demons dont exist in the real world, but all that aside you can have fun playing the game. I'll tell you what, it makes you feal really good at video games though. cause its a very easy game to beat.
  2. Mar 15, 2015
    This is not a Devil May Cry. NT totally ruined title with this reboot. This game looks like bad parody of original games with poor combat system, bad protagonist etc. I want to forget this shame and I hope we'll never see a sequel/prequel/whatever of this crap.
  3. Aug 20, 2014
    Quite possibly the worst game in the franchise. Even worse than Devil May Cry 2 from the original series. The storyline and dialogue sound like it was written by a five-year old, and don't even get me started on the color-coated enemies. Just whose idea was it to make color-coded enemies and weapons?! The boss fights do not live up to their name, either. I also can't believe that theQuite possibly the worst game in the franchise. Even worse than Devil May Cry 2 from the original series. The storyline and dialogue sound like it was written by a five-year old, and don't even get me started on the color-coated enemies. Just whose idea was it to make color-coded enemies and weapons?! The boss fights do not live up to their name, either. I also can't believe that the critics here gave this game a score of 86. That really shows how quality of gaming is going down the drain. Also, this new version of Dante looks and acts like a womanizing crackhead who also does meth. Also, when the hell are you going to introduce angels as a plot point, when we don't see any during the entire game? Except for Eva, and of course, Vergil, whom don't even count because they're basically giant lawn gnomes that do nothing. Yes, Vergil does nothing, even if he's a playable character at one point. Long story short, there should be a hell of a lot of holy fire going on, but I'm not seeing any of it. This game did nothing to live up to it's hype, and all it did was injure my wallet. Expand
  4. Jul 22, 2014
    This is the **** game I have ever seen ever in 15 years of gaming. Whoever gives money to the **** at Ninja Theory studio, know that I will find you and **** on your face.

I wanted to vomit after seeing the trailer and kill myself after seeing some gameplay.

This is the truth, I am not exxagerating. Peace out!
  5. May 27, 2014
    Good graphics. Only this. The rest stinks. Really hated the game. Judge me, I'm not a big fan of Devil May Cry series, only played 'cuz I thought that it could be fun. I was mistaken. Very mistaken.
  6. May 8, 2014
    All people who already talked about the game...well all is already said.The game is good as an reboot...but the story is lacking and the characters are just ****
  7. Feb 7, 2014
    I have been a fan of Devil May Cry series and I have played this recently because some people urge me to try this as I was totally ignoring this reboot. I stopped playing after some chapters because it is so boring. I couldn't stop playing DMC 3 and 4 from beginning to end but this one is just **** with stupid dialogues. And those who enjoyed this game are fans of hack-and-slash game, notI have been a fan of Devil May Cry series and I have played this recently because some people urge me to try this as I was totally ignoring this reboot. I stopped playing after some chapters because it is so boring. I couldn't stop playing DMC 3 and 4 from beginning to end but this one is just **** with stupid dialogues. And those who enjoyed this game are fans of hack-and-slash game, not Devil May Cry itself. Expand
  8. Oct 25, 2013
    Played DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies likePlayed DMC1 when it came out and I was so impressed with all the style that I kept playing till DMD. Played DMC3 till DMD as well because I like DMC1 so much but I thought it was acceptable. I thought DMC4 deserved a 0/10 and I've stopped caring ever since. DmC is practically a new game. If the new generation enjoys it then so be it. I never understood what most kids see in movies like twilight, hunger games and these new disney tv shows, but it seems this is what Team Ninja is going for with DmC so I bid them God speed. I hope those same kids will like this as well. From the media previews and gameplay all around the internet and from watching the first 5 mins of the game (too boring to watch any further), if I had to rate it based on these experiences only, I would give it a 3 Expand
  9. Aug 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a bad game.

The story is bad. The characters are unlikable. The protagonist shoots a pregnant woman in the stomach, then kills her, then later mocks the antagonist about it. A minor character makes magical portals with squirrel semen. The game rips off the Slurm Queen from Futurama, except does it entirely seriously. It thinks you are dumb, too. It's not enough that you're fight
  10. Jul 7, 2013
    What a poor game, it lacks of imagination, you know you did something wrong when a game of 2001 looks a 100 times better, I have to give this game a big 0 because you ruined a character, let's take it this way, you had a god (Dante) and turned it into a fly (new Dante).
  11. Apr 27, 2013
    First of all i want to start by saying that this shouldn't be named Devil May Cry, because it has nothing to do with Devil May Cry besides the name of the game and characters, The Story is weak, the characters are pretty much forgettable and contradict themselves, especially the main character named "Dante" but resembles nothing of the old character, the gameplay and difficulty is muchFirst of all i want to start by saying that this shouldn't be named Devil May Cry, because it has nothing to do with Devil May Cry besides the name of the game and characters, The Story is weak, the characters are pretty much forgettable and contradict themselves, especially the main character named "Dante" but resembles nothing of the old character, the gameplay and difficulty is much more easy than the past Devil May Cry games, which is extremely disappointing, this game was pretty much made just for the money, however Capcom didn't get as much as they expect, i hope they cancel this and don't waste money anymore with this crap! Expand
  12. Apr 5, 2013
    From the story that seems to be written by an edgy 12-year-old, to the boring and easy gameplay, this is NOT a true sequel to DMC4, and it not only puts the series to shame, but the gaming industry as a whole.
  13. Mar 31, 2013
    This game deserves a solid 1 for deceiving its fan base. It's being advertised as to find out who Dante was was before becoming the demon hunter. But the actuality, this Dante is a completely new character with no relation to the previous games and his behavior is what you called teen angst at best. The combat is especially sluggish, and the plot made references on how government isThis game deserves a solid 1 for deceiving its fan base. It's being advertised as to find out who Dante was was before becoming the demon hunter. But the actuality, this Dante is a completely new character with no relation to the previous games and his behavior is what you called teen angst at best. The combat is especially sluggish, and the plot made references on how government is corrupt and we need to stand up and to face the demon: the government. Like we haven't heard this before, I can't see how anyone can like this game except some teenagers with overflowing testosterone. Expand
  14. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've had my doubts about DmC: Devil may Cry since it's announcement for obvious reasons. The cover art alone with the new model of Dante is not a pretty sight to see as the face of what was an amazing game series. I tried to look beyond that when I finally picked up this game so I could finally say once again that I have beaten all the DMC games. This however was not a possibility. This game contradicts everything that made DMC great. Why does Dante no longer know his father, why is his mother an angel? why didn't Dante recognise Vergil as his brother? Why does Dante become loving and caring? WHY DANTES REMODEL? I tried to enjoy the game by looking past these issues but it was just not possible. I understand that this game is a "reboot" but it is just not needed. An awful story, awful level design and awful boss battles and strategies. Tie all this with the "Limbo to real life" game settings and it just creates a confusing atmosphere that is difficult to follow and just outright makes zero sense. Even the final battle is just a literal copy and paste combination of the bosses from Devil may Cry (the original) and Devil may Cry 4. I guess this is what happens when a new company takes over a popular gaming franchise as seen with many other games recently. Not to mention to most controversial scene in this game which essentially is a massive F**K YOU to long time DmC fans. Nice move Ninja Theory. Expand
  15. Mar 28, 2013
    Capcom done a big mistake!
    They should made DMC5 instead of this game.
    After this horrible reboot they should reboot it again or they should make Devil May Cry 5.
  16. Mar 11, 2013
    esse jogo um horror mecanicas ultrapssadas,dante emo,vergil um nerd idiota

ninja thery e capcom acordem pra vida e façam jkogos de qualidade igual platinum games
  17. Mar 6, 2013
    First i need to say, this is not Devil May Cry but it is DMC i say this because it does not feel like Devil May Cry we know and love but feel like a new game witch is why i call it DMC.
    So lets get the hair business out of the way first, i don't care about the change they made!
    The story is okey but i like the old one better, but it has some nice points that give the story merit. Combat
    Combat is the worst ever in the series, it just doesn't feel fun like the old one did.
    One thing i really love though is the levels how they change and how they look. They really nailed the look and feel of limbo and the demon world. Overall the game is not bad but it`s not a that good either. Rent it or get it when it`s cheaper.
  18. Mar 1, 2013
    This game is very disappointing if you have played the previous games. So don't expect any new and improved features. The characters are boring and none of them are very likable, the story isn't very good, and it isn't very fun. The soundtrack was pretty bad in my opinion, as I am not a fan of heavy metal, but I won't count that against the game. The combat is fun for a while but it is farThis game is very disappointing if you have played the previous games. So don't expect any new and improved features. The characters are boring and none of them are very likable, the story isn't very good, and it isn't very fun. The soundtrack was pretty bad in my opinion, as I am not a fan of heavy metal, but I won't count that against the game. The combat is fun for a while but it is far too easy, you can achieve S ranks without much of a problem. The boss battles are one of the greatest aspects about his game because they require you to use tactics to exploit the bosses weakness. It really doesn't stick with you when you turn the game off. I played through the game once and never felt the urge to play again. While it isn't absolute garbage, I have to give it a three out of ten because I have played much better games. Expand
  19. Feb 26, 2013
    when did virgil began to use sniper, he dislikes guns. the whole game play is totally broken compared to other games and story sucks. Oh boy. There is so much to say about this game, and next to none of it is good. From the absolutely convoluted, asinine, and downright insulting plotline to the poor writing, voicework, and general pacing of the game itself, DmC falls flat on its face atwhen did virgil began to use sniper, he dislikes guns. the whole game play is totally broken compared to other games and story sucks. Oh boy. There is so much to say about this game, and next to none of it is good. From the absolutely convoluted, asinine, and downright insulting plotline to the poor writing, voicework, and general pacing of the game itself, DmC falls flat on its face at almost every turn. Expand
  20. Feb 19, 2013
    Bad game is bad. This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to putBad game is bad. This game spits in the face of any fan of the previous games especially the 3 and 4 ones. I cannot imagine what anyone can see in this waste of time and money. The main character was replaced, the gameplay was dumbed down, the store was retconned. Had this game been released under a different name then no one would really be so mad about such a mediocre title. BUT to put the name Devil May Cry on it and then spit in the faces of those WHO WOULD pick it up BECAUSE OF THE NAME IS A INSULT. And as the new Dante would say: YOU! Expand
  21. Feb 19, 2013
    Absolutely terrible and pointless. From tasteless, childishly amateur writing, terrible graphics and ocean of bugs and glitches to a completely bland and casual gameplay that, when it actually works properly, is only targeted at replicating the visual feats of the previous games which you had to actually master back in the day. A vanity project devoid of any style, substance or passionAbsolutely terrible and pointless. From tasteless, childishly amateur writing, terrible graphics and ocean of bugs and glitches to a completely bland and casual gameplay that, when it actually works properly, is only targeted at replicating the visual feats of the previous games which you had to actually master back in the day. A vanity project devoid of any style, substance or passion sown together for a quick buck riding on a big name. At this point unless we see a DMC5 developed by Capcom itself in few years, it's safe to say that DMC is dead and this abomination is what finished it off with a shotgun to a head. Expand
  22. Feb 18, 2013
    *Sigh* *Sigh* *Sigh* This game is absolutely horrible and a smack to the face of the real Dante. According to the game designers "If the old Dante walked into a bar he would get laughed at." If that is their argument the same goes for all video game characters, right? Mario and Luigi would get "laughed at in a bar" may as well change them.... What about Pacman and Link? May as well change*Sigh* *Sigh* *Sigh* This game is absolutely horrible and a smack to the face of the real Dante. According to the game designers "If the old Dante walked into a bar he would get laughed at." If that is their argument the same goes for all video game characters, right? Mario and Luigi would get "laughed at in a bar" may as well change them.... What about Pacman and Link? May as well change them too.

Now getting into the game, the combat is so easy your average aborted fetus could master it, the taunt button is removed and you can get an SSS on the style meter by using a few oversimplified "combos."

The dialogue is absolutely ridiculous, I find myself laughing at it's childishness, especially in the Succubus boss fight (A complete rip off of Slurm in Futurama as somebody else mentioned) where Donte and the Succubus yell you" back and forth.

Some redeeming things about the game are that they added in Nero's arm mechanic (The angel lift and demon pull) which was one of my favorite thing in Devil May Cry 4, also the graphics were nice and the combat flowed smoothly.

One of my biggest problems with this game and why I hate it so much is the games director "Tameem" claimed old Dante wasn't cool and then went on to design the new Dante to look like him, take a look lmfao, real sexy there bro. ****ing ****

23. Feb 15, 2013
    They ruined the characters. Emo-tized everything. The white hair wig joke was a slap in the face and I hope that capcom goes out of business!!
  24. Feb 11, 2013
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    WARNING: THIS IS A REVIEW FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS NEVER PLAYED A DMC GAME BEFORE.
    Pretty graphics, but crap gameplay. Basically, the same as every other Ninja Theory game. This game has an identity crisis. It tries to be both Ninja Gaiden and God of War at the same time, yet fails at being as good as either of those games. It tries to be a visceral, gory hack and slash like God of War, but the combat feels far too floaty and unsubstantial experience. It also tries to be Ninja Gaiden with it's end of mission scoring, but this game is just not difficult enough to actually feel any sense of accomplishment from getting a high score. And I know people will mention the mode where Dante dies in one hit, but honestly that's just an artificial inflation of the difficulty, unlike the enemy AI being substantially improved. The platforming sections are too long and are frankly boring. The story, well, it's definitely no God of War in that department. The story seems to have been inspired by teen supernatural dramas, such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel. I'm not into any of those shows, but if you are, you'd probably enjoy DmC. The game also includes a lot of Leftist propaganda, slamming things such as Fox News and the Republican Party (of which I am a member). Obviously, this was not to my liking. I prefer that politics do not enter my video games. Thank you very much. Clearly, I wouldn't recommend this video game for any one, except hardcore liberals.
  25. Feb 8, 2013
    when hideki kamiya left capcom this saga died.
    Its kinda sad to see a great game fall like this, cmon EVEN KAZUMA K ANEKO SMT SERIES)hell with dmc3 ,also dmc4 was amazing....
  26. Feb 8, 2013
    This game has shallow, unbalanced combat. The main focus of the game is the combat and it has not delivered anywhere near the standard of previous Devil May Cry games. The 30fps does affect the smoothness of the action and it feels as if the game is trying to catch up with the players inputs at times.

The story is badly written and acompanied by awful voice acting. The art style/design is an insult to the previous titles and no amount of talking about 'white hair' can cover over the obvious flaws and shallow nature of the combat mechanisms. I also found the cortrol system to be overly clunky and not responsive all of the time. Enemies are badly designed too and are nowhere near the standard of previous titles.

Overall, this game is a complete let down and not worth wasting time and money on.
  27. Feb 8, 2013
    it's boring casual game with dull combat it's so slow compared to older ones it made me come back to the devil may cry hd collection in no time... i beat it in 1 day at nephilim, gameplay is copypasted from heavenly sword... i had more fun with gunXsword (wich is an average game)... it's a game below awerage and we know why the majority of sites gave it amazing scores (capcom paid themit's boring casual game with dull combat it's so slow compared to older ones it made me come back to the devil may cry hd collection in no time... i beat it in 1 day at nephilim, gameplay is copypasted from heavenly sword... i had more fun with gunXsword (wich is an average game)... it's a game below awerage and we know why the majority of sites gave it amazing scores (capcom paid them directly or indirectly using sites as advertising) story is ripped off and lame, music is horrible and gave me migraines, some of the enviroments (they look alike those from bayonetta but bayonetta was better in all the possible ways) are great but that's not enought to give this game credit... after ruinning resident evil with the 6 now they've ruined devil may cry... good job capcom
    ah and no lovk on feature, 2 dodge buttons (cause we have to press a trigger for angelic and demonic wepones)
    do yourself a favor... do not buy it...
  28. Feb 7, 2013
    Everything is this game makes ZERO sense and it has a bad story bad character development to easy gameplay wich makes the game even more boring you have to use red weapons to kill red enemies blue weapons to kill blue enemies and they putted some elements of the other Devil May Cry's without a logic it's a complete and big mess this game is a reboot a very bad one and withoutEverything is this game makes ZERO sense and it has a bad story bad character development to easy gameplay wich makes the game even more boring you have to use red weapons to kill red enemies blue weapons to kill blue enemies and they putted some elements of the other Devil May Cry's without a logic it's a complete and big mess this game is a reboot a very bad one and without logical explanations just EVERYTHING in this game is horrible and if you liked the previous Devil May Cry's games you will rather die than play this junk. Expand
  29. Feb 6, 2013
    This game has a lot more problems more than I could describe on a single review is the kind of thing you have to experience to realize how bad it really it is, the funny thing is that some people actually like it that's fine my only explanation for that is that they've never played other DMC games, even so this game should strike fear into who ever plays it for all the wrong reasons, I canThis game has a lot more problems more than I could describe on a single review is the kind of thing you have to experience to realize how bad it really it is, the funny thing is that some people actually like it that's fine my only explanation for that is that they've never played other DMC games, even so this game should strike fear into who ever plays it for all the wrong reasons, I can only advice you to ignore the paid reviewers and focus instead on the community reviews here's my short list of problems with the game, first of all the story by god the story is like the kids at 9gag got together and decided to create a fan fiction piece that was later implemented in to this game who ever wrote it must have been high and if he wasn't he's one of the worst writers I've ever seen with the abundance of deep lines suck as "F*** you" every five minutes. The combat is a complete mess, not only is it baby mode compared to the past games but it is nothing but an unsatisfying button masher that rewards you for doing absolutely nothing. Lastly Dante, lets ignore the fact that the developer for the game thought it would be a great idea to model him after HIMSELF for a second and lets focus on the fact that he acts nothing like the old Dante, its as if he's a different character all together and well he iS a different character all together which lets me to believe that this was just some random mediocre game that at the last minute got DmC put in the title so it could sell, the sad part is that that wasnt the case making the situation even worse. I went optimistic into it giving it a chance and got out wishing I never did. Expand
  30. Feb 6, 2013
    The character development is terrible as a standalone game, let alone when compared to the other games. The combat is just bad for a DMC game, all the styles and combat options are brought under two buttons, angel attack and demon attack. There is absolutely nothing left of the DMC3 and 4 combat engine or gameplay.

If more than 4-5 enemies appear on the screen the game gets very

If more than 4-5 enemies appear on the screen the game gets very noticeable framedrop.

Would get a 5/10 if it was just another hack&slash. But when compared to the DMC franchise it's a 0/10.
  31. Mar 6, 2013

1. Mar 11, 2013
    A worthy rebirth of the franchise as it possesses fast-paced chaotic action, which is diversified by the several weapons that make up Dante’s arsenal, an engaging soundtrack, and a story worthy of the DmC franchise.
  2. Mar 6, 2013
    Beyond the near-perfect controls and satisfying combat, Ninja Theory has clearly sweated the game's atmosphere and visuals.
  3. Feb 25, 2013
    Ninja Theory have against all odds created something fresh; a creatively superb and in places fantastic action adventure game. It will not be for everyone and is certainly more mainstream than previous efforts but DMC is a rip roaring start to 2013.