Dragon Age II Xbox 360

4.4

1. Apr 20, 2012
    Don't listen to haters, this game is brilliant. However, be warned that DA2 it's not like DAO, in any sense (well, just in the name maybe). This is a completely different game, with different mechanics and a diferent protagonist. To me, much much better than the first game regarding gameplay and narrative.
  2. Mar 30, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is an RPG that takes a close look at a large, living world full of culture, racial clash, national identities. If you loved DAO you won't love DA2 for the same reasons. If you come into DA2 with an open mind, like you should all games, you will find a high quality story filled with characters who have their own opinions and viewpoints. You will see the journey of a man (orDragon Age 2 is an RPG that takes a close look at a large, living world full of culture, racial clash, national identities. If you loved DAO you won't love DA2 for the same reasons. If you come into DA2 with an open mind, like you should all games, you will find a high quality story filled with characters who have their own opinions and viewpoints. You will see the journey of a man (or woman) named Hawke, who was dealt a bad hand and had to flee his his country. He arrives in an alien culture and quickly realizes he must learn a whole new set of politics to make his way as a foreigner in the city of Kirkwall. You know the beginning of his story and the end right from the start, but you get to fill in the large blank in the middle and explain how he made the decisions that got him to the end. I am a huge fan of Bioware. And I feel like Bioware is one of the only developers devoted to creating high quality, large storied worlds the way they create their RPGs. I find all the negativity towards DA2 as peoples lack to manage their expectations before a game is released. No game that is in working condition and has so much high quality content deserves a 0 unless that person hasn't managed their own expectations. Expand
  3. Mar 19, 2011
    Once you get past the horrible inventory system and if you can get past the reused dungeons, this is a really solid game. The game is also very long and I loved the unreliable narrator. The story is about the player rising from being nobody to being the champion. The story and the characters felt really diverse and I have the feeling that there should be enough content for a second orOnce you get past the horrible inventory system and if you can get past the reused dungeons, this is a really solid game. The game is also very long and I loved the unreliable narrator. The story is about the player rising from being nobody to being the champion. The story and the characters felt really diverse and I have the feeling that there should be enough content for a second or third playthrough. This is based on my experience of finishing the game on nightmare difficulty on a mage. Playtime 60 hours but that doesn't include all the reloading I would guess. Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2011
    Reading so many reviews, I am baffled by the amount of gamer negativity to this game! Looking at this game, there have definitely been some changes from the original game- however to look past them and judge DAII on it's own merits is the right way to review this game.

Storyline- The cinematic feel of this game far exceeds the original, and whilst the scope of the game is centered solely around the events in one main city (and a few outlying areas), to me this still felt like an epic journey where your actions had true consequences upon the outcome of the game. The storyline behind each of your companions is fleshed out very well, and offers a deep experience and distraction from the main story. As usual Bioware comes through with a great storyline, a deep fantasy world to explore and great development of the characters within the story.

Graphics- Not of the same caliber as a Mass Effect title, however, it is still a nice looking game. Length- My first playthrough took me 52.5 hours, and my second took me 50 hours. Some people are talking about an extremely short game, whereas it is not short at all. If you explore this game and exhaust the gameplay in this game you will get a lot of value for your money out of this title.

Combat- this is where the big improvement in this game lies. The fights are now faster paced, and for those who argue it is not as deep an combat experience as DAI, I completely disagree. The combat is fast paced, and full of action- whilst still giving you the option to slow things down with the "wheel" to issue orders to each of the member in your party (which is my personal preferred way of fighting). On top of this, the "combat tactics" still exist for each character, where you can set a bunch of orders for each of your companions to follow- adding a depth of strategy to how you want your team to fight when you are not issuing direct orders. Miscellaneous- There is still plenty of loot, and character development is still there with the ability to level up characters and customise them to your playstyle. Enchanting weapons and upgrading armor returns as well. in short, the RPG elements have been retained to an acceptable level (even though some people may disagree with not being able to equip armor on your companions).

My conclusion is that DAII is a great game, and whilst some things have been simplified/streamlined, there is no doubt that this has not had a negative effect on the game. I can imagine some RPG purists may find it hard to overcome this, however, should people judge this game on it's own merits they will find a deep, rewarding and entertaining experience from Bioware yet again!
  5. Mar 11, 2011
    This is one of the best RPG in the world. Unlike the first part of the game is 10 hours and she's fun and interesting. I do not understand people who put her 0 and 1. You even played in it?? Why spoil a game rating? Do nothing else or what?
  6. Mar 16, 2011
    I have put in about 12-13 hours into this game and have found that people seemed to just be mad at the fact BioWare has just changed how they feel an RPG should work. I personally feel that all genres need to evolve and am glad that BioWare is doing their best for the RPG. Anyone who is mad that this is not an exact replica of Dragon Age: Origins needs to stop. The game is titled DragonI have put in about 12-13 hours into this game and have found that people seemed to just be mad at the fact BioWare has just changed how they feel an RPG should work. I personally feel that all genres need to evolve and am glad that BioWare is doing their best for the RPG. Anyone who is mad that this is not an exact replica of Dragon Age: Origins needs to stop. The game is titled Dragon Age II not Dragon Age: Here's the first game again.

That being said, I have found that overall the game is very good. Sure there are some minor problems to it but they can easily be overlooked. If you want the game to be more tactical you can up the difficulty to Hard/Nightmare but I have found that even on normal you still have to keep the situation in mind and not blindly charge in. So far the story seems to flow pretty well, with a small disconnect in between chapter 1 and 2 (currently at the beginning of 2). I feel like the conversations are well done even if sometimes the responses are a little corny. Overall I would give the game a 9 so far but with all the haters in the world I will leave it at a 10.
  7. Mar 20, 2011
    This game is excellent. Do not be fooled by all the fanboys who are giving it an extremely low review simply because its not exactly like Dragon Age: Origins.
    The combat flows much better, and is still quite tactical if you put it on the harder settings. The new conversation system is a bit dumbed down but its worth it to have a character with a voice, I believe. There are a lot of little changes that I could probably nitpick to death but most of them grew on me.
    This is worth giving a shot, trust me. Its a very solid game. Its not the dumbed down action fest that everyone makes it out to be. In many ways, I'd call it superior to Dragon Age: Origins.
  8. Mar 20, 2011
    Forget the haters, this is a great game. Loved every minute. Easily the best RPG I have played since DAO (and that includes ME2). Graphics and gameplay are top notch. Only criticism is recycling of maps.
  9. May 17, 2011
    Absolute masterpiece of storytelling. The combat system puts Bayonetta to shame and the RPG side of things makes other such games seem like Manic Miner by comparison. Bioware simply cannot fail!
  10. Mar 16, 2011
    bien mieux que le premier a mon sens, plus action et l'histoire se laisse suivre, le peu de decors ne derange pas car ils vont de paire avec l'histoire, inutil d'avoir 200 decors different pour ne pas s'en servir corrctement.
  11. Mar 16, 2011
    DA2 is a game that is a change. The story centers around things that are about to change, and the game itself "seems" that it is a radical change from its roots. From me these changes are for the betterment of the overall story telling that Bioware strives to show us. For myself I felt as though the game had a much better set of developed companions, and the interaction between theseDA2 is a game that is a change. The story centers around things that are about to change, and the game itself "seems" that it is a radical change from its roots. From me these changes are for the betterment of the overall story telling that Bioware strives to show us. For myself I felt as though the game had a much better set of developed companions, and the interaction between these companions are much more complex and personal.

Also this game may seem like there is a lack of an over arching plot and therefor its a "bad" game. In this there is a truth, its hard to see this over arching plot. In a lot of ways DA2's separate acts are each there own mini story in which hawke is a center piece of. Yet the over aching plot is there and it has been some thing that Bioware has told use many times, why did Hawke make the choices he did and how come he was always in the middle of it all?

For me this game was a fresh and brave take on story telling in games. With the lake of a big evil to fight the story becomes more about you (or hawke) and less about the enemy that you need to kill. I see this as being a great addition to the mythos of the Dragon Age universe.

(Oh yea, I also love the changes to combat)
  12. Mar 16, 2011
    Alright, first off I'll say that I have read many of the reviews here and keep seeing the same things coming up: "The story isn't any good" "the interactions between characters sucks" "the combat is hack and slash".I do hope that people actually finish the game before they review it here (although i highly doubt they do) because how can you say the story sucks if you haven't finished it.Alright, first off I'll say that I have read many of the reviews here and keep seeing the same things coming up: "The story isn't any good" "the interactions between characters sucks" "the combat is hack and slash".I do hope that people actually finish the game before they review it here (although i highly doubt they do) because how can you say the story sucks if you haven't finished it. While the story is not quite as "epic" as it was in the first game, it still has it's own appeal and I, for one, felt myself being pulled into it and not wanting it to end. As for the Character interactions, The dialogue wheel is a good addition. While it is not quite as well done as the Mass Effect wheel, it still adds something to the game as I think it helps you to grow more attached to your character due to the fact that your main character is voice and not simply a stoic and unspeaking being. Now the hack and slash game play, It may seem like a hack and slash at first glance, but as others have said if you turn up the difficulty you will have to use the tactics so many enjoyed about the first title. And really people complaining about the change to an active attack button instead of pressing the a button and watching your character continually attack is in my view just laziness. The combat looks more appealing in Dragon Age 2 than it did in DA:O, but admittedly feels more like an action rpg than a basic rpg. The people saying that the graphics are worse, are absolutely wrong, no question about it. While it is a different art style, animations look more fluid and characters themselves look more believable. The only thing holding this game back from getting a 10 from me, is the recycled environments, much like Mass Effect. While they do try to switch it up, sometimes starting you on different ends of the same recycled environment, it still makes exploration disappointing at best. Overall i think this game is getting terrible reviews by users because they either simply loved the first game and do not enjoy the changes and so they overcompensate, because people didn't like Dragon Age to begin with, or finally because people have written reviews before finishing the game. It is a wonderful expansion on the Dragon Age universe, with improved graphics and gameplay, lovable characters and a wonderful and sometimes emotional story, and it's probably the best game of the year so far for me. Expand
  13. Mar 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Loved it. Hated 2 things. Somewhat of a gay sex agenda right off the bat. Nothing against gays, but having 2 men flirt with me before having any chance at a female sets a certain tone I didn't care for. The Mother's death seemed to have no purpose for the main plot and all it did was upset me. My last remaining family member gets mutilated and killed in front of me and it seems to just be some random act of insanity. Expand
  14. Apr 6, 2011
    The game is tremendously disappointing. There is no story, the characters are unlikeable, the dialogue is terrible and the voice acting worse, there is no pacing in story or battles, and skills and character options have been dramatically whittled down since the original. Towns are empty, boring and lifeless. And there's only one town to explore. The same 5 dungeons are reused overThe game is tremendously disappointing. There is no story, the characters are unlikeable, the dialogue is terrible and the voice acting worse, there is no pacing in story or battles, and skills and character options have been dramatically whittled down since the original. Towns are empty, boring and lifeless. And there's only one town to explore. The same 5 dungeons are reused over and over and linear and simple. There is almost no equipment in the game and companions can't even wear armor. The same 4 enemies continually jump you to the point where it feels like the entire game is killing bandits. Enemies continually respawn so tactics are useless and the game degenerates into a button mashing mess. One fight in the entire game is difficult and mainly because it requires hitting attack hundreds of times.

I bought the game excited and traded it in wary of bioware. I will rent Mass Effect 3 first and hope the development team doesn't get their hands on that game. Until then I will buy Planescape Torment and play a real RPG>
  15. May 13, 2011
    The Metacritic score for this title has been unduly influenced by a legion of die-hard Dragon Age: Origins fans who are angry that the sequel doesn't offer more of the exact same game. A lot of things were changed, and that's upsetting for some fans. But here's the thing: judged on its own merits, DA:2 is a frickin' great RPG, and in most ways it's a better game than DA:O. In fact, DA:2 isThe Metacritic score for this title has been unduly influenced by a legion of die-hard Dragon Age: Origins fans who are angry that the sequel doesn't offer more of the exact same game. A lot of things were changed, and that's upsetting for some fans. But here's the thing: judged on its own merits, DA:2 is a frickin' great RPG, and in most ways it's a better game than DA:O. In fact, DA:2 is my new favorite RPG of all time, which is why I gave it the 10 rating.

If you're the kind of gamer who really likes to "role play," there has never been a game like DA:2. Your ability to create your own character and personality, to forge relationships with the other people in the world, and to make decisions that matter is unparalleled. Yes, they re-use the same maps a lot. So I guess if you mostly care about having the background change a lot when you're playing, then don't play this game. But if you liked Planescape: Torment or KOTOR, play this game. If you like wrestling with difficult moral choices...if you're the kind of gamer who can fall in love with a story or a character, or be heartbroken by them...play this game. If you're a role-player...play this game.
  16. May 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion Dragon Age II is not much like the Dragon Age: Origins. There is no prolonged battles, there is completely different dialogue system (which by the way is taken from the Mass Effect) and a totally different concept (we are fighting basically not with darkspawn, but with problems in Kirkwall). But still, in spite of repeated locations and unfinished written story, it is still fun to play. There is pretty various and interesting characters (Merrill, my favorite :3), simple but elegant locations, and a lot of drama. Expand
  17. Jun 2, 2011
    I just recently beat this game after a friend let me borrow it. And I find myself almost sad to give it back, as I truly do love it. I went through as a mage and made all the wrong choices which hurled toward every one of my family member's deaths. No, not on purpose, and I was actually attatched to these characters. It was a horrible feeling, and yet so good. The many ways the game canI just recently beat this game after a friend let me borrow it. And I find myself almost sad to give it back, as I truly do love it. I went through as a mage and made all the wrong choices which hurled toward every one of my family member's deaths. No, not on purpose, and I was actually attatched to these characters. It was a horrible feeling, and yet so good. The many ways the game can play out, the dialogue, the combat... EVERYTHING was very well done! The people up at BioWare deserve more respect for this game. It's unfair how poorly the other so-called "players" rated this game. Dragon Age II is amazing and deserves no less than an amazing rating. Expand
  18. Jul 11, 2011
    the game was highly expected of, it is very expansive, but the dungeons get incredibly repetitive, offering no new dugeon areas. It will provide you with several hours of entertainment, but does not live up to the first game
  19. Mar 18, 2011
    It's a good game, stop being stupid everyone, its intensely annoying.

150 char150 char150 char150 char150 char150 char150 char150 char150 char150 char150 charv150 char
  20. Sep 4, 2011
    Having played through DA:O + awakening twice, i can say i am a big fan. Yes, i do agree some of the changes: taking skills away, having to use a lot less tactic, etc i'm not too fond of. On the other hand, it does a lot of things right. I just finished DA2 and i can honestly say it's still a very good game. I enjoyed it a lot and the whole negativity around it is just overreacted. MyHaving played through DA:O + awakening twice, i can say i am a big fan. Yes, i do agree some of the changes: taking skills away, having to use a lot less tactic, etc i'm not too fond of. On the other hand, it does a lot of things right. I just finished DA2 and i can honestly say it's still a very good game. I enjoyed it a lot and the whole negativity around it is just overreacted. My biggest gripe was only the recycling of the area's, which is VERY OFTEN. The game isnt as good as the first one, but considering they worked 5 years on that and 1,5 years on this, it's not surprising. I just hope they get more time for the next. Imo bioware never fails to deliver. If that makes me a fanboi so be it. Expand
  21. Apr 17, 2011
    I am TRULY baffled by the user reviews on this game, especially seeing that Mass Effect 2 got a 90. I thought the critics score was too low! Also out of 2,883 ratings on Gamefly the members give it an 82.(xbox 360) What is going on with the people on this site? The game is nearly flawless, perfect 10!
  22. Mar 13, 2011
    The problem that BioWare faces is now its fanbase. The classic RPG-ers that grew with games like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. They can't seem to accept change, which is what BioWare's doing with Dragon Age II. This shows through the combat, which is not prefect by any means, but is a commendable effort. In my personal opinion, the characters, story, and choices make up for theThe problem that BioWare faces is now its fanbase. The classic RPG-ers that grew with games like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. They can't seem to accept change, which is what BioWare's doing with Dragon Age II. This shows through the combat, which is not prefect by any means, but is a commendable effort. In my personal opinion, the characters, story, and choices make up for the meh combat. The story has interesting twists, the characters have great histories to explore, and the choices actually feel like they have consequences. Rather then read text in DAO you see lots of choices in-game. To have fun in DA 2 you have to be able to lose yourself in the universe and characters, rather then play to kill things. This definitely is not an instant classic like BG and DAO, but it is still a cool and interesting epic to play through. Expand
  23. Mar 17, 2011
    Most of the hate for this game is entirely unfounded. I know there are several groups from several forums who have said they intended to down rate this game, without having played it, out of the "principle" of it, and I think we see much of that here. Some people wanted nothing but DA:O v 2.0, but Bioware made the choice to innovate and try to reach a broader audience.

Is DA2 the same as

Is DA2 the same as DA:O? No. They did change the game up, and hardcore fans of DA:O may be disappointed. Does that make DA2? No. But people are having a hard time seeing past the changes. I am a huge fan of Dragon Age: Origins, and I am also finding that I am quickly becoming a big fan of Dragon Age 2.

***The combat is, to me, less tactical and on a normal setting easier, but it is much more engaging and fun. I adore DA:O, but there were times when the combat felt like it was just dragging on and on and on and would never end. The animations in DA:O for combat were sluggish and pretty basic. In DA2 they are much more catchy and action packed, they make you feel like your character has some real talent, and lend to you feeling powerful.

***It is unfortunate that we no longer have options for other races for our PC, but I feel so much more connected to my voiced character than I ever did to my Warden in DA:O who was mute and expressionless most of the time. She felt so lifeless, and the PC now has a personality all her own that develops with the dialog options you make as the game progresses. Always take the witty approach, then you characters dialog even on things you do not choose reflects this. Always take the stern approach, same thing.

***Companions are still interesting, I think they did a great job of writing them and didn't find one I didn't like, though I feel we do not get enough time to get to know them. Party banter while we are out and about is increased, but talking to your party members when they are at their homes (vs. being at a camp now) is very low, and usually only triggers by picking up certain items or progressing to a certain point in the story. I would have liked to get to know them a bit better, as what I did get to know of them was truly interesting.

***The game does reuse certain maps and dungeons, which I find unfortunate, but DA:O was not free from this and did it as well. It is more noticeable for DA2 though, as we are in the same city/area spanning 7 years of the game. I honestly didn't find it bothering me TOO much, but I would have liked to see a bit more variety in the dungeons.

***The last thing I will touch on is the story and writing. DA2 isnt a big epic story about one truly evil big bad that is out to destroy or take over the world. You do not get the same kind of sense of urgency or threat as you did in DA:O. This is by design, and honestly, by request. MANY fans begged for this on the official forums, and yet now they complain about it.

***The story is more about the smaller events in the characters life, about what happened to this person to shape them into the individual they are, they are about the things they happened to Hawke and his/her family and their city which lead them to eventually becoming the Champion of the city. I actually enjoyed the story and it was a nice change of pace for once. The ultimate climax and culmination of these events was interesting and I enjoyed the ending boss battles. ***The writing for the game was very good. There are many endearing moments in the game through dialog and the quests, many hilarious, and many heartbreaking. The writing and voice acting were extremely enjoyable and I never really felt it lacking at anytime. I feel completely immersed into the game because of it.
  24. Mar 17, 2011
    This is a great game. It is not a direct continuation of the Origins storyline, so if that is what you are looking for, you might be disappointed. The story does survive on its own though, and you get the impression that there is a much bigger picture forming in the background that Bioware will reveal in a later game. The tale is epic, to be sure, but not in the formulaicThis is a great game. It is not a direct continuation of the Origins storyline, so if that is what you are looking for, you might be disappointed. The story does survive on its own though, and you get the impression that there is a much bigger picture forming in the background that Bioware will reveal in a later game. The tale is epic, to be sure, but not in the formulaic hero-saves-the-world kind of way. In fact, you could debate whether the hero (if Hawke can be called that) actually saves anything or instead sets everything on fire. The combat is faster paced than it was in Origins. If you like that, you will enjoy this game. If not, it might be a bone of contention for you. It's nice to see more detail in how the characters fight. For instance, mages wielding their staffs as actual weapons is one of the little improvements that actually adds a lot to the game. It was disappointing to see finishing moves removed, and the exploding bodies is kind of cheesy. I liked Origins combat, but I like DAII's combat as well. If Bioware could synergize the two systems, they'd have something great. The characters are interesting and have a lot of depth. There are so many directions you can go with each of them. You control their fate throughout their game and some choices you make will decide what the future holds for them or whether they even survive at the end. The biggest downside I found to this game were what I perceived to be laziness in design. Reusing maps was an obnoxious shortcut that gave some parts of the game a repetitive feeling and had me rolling my eyes. The game also takes place in a very enclosed geographic area that can get boring after awhile. I also disliked how I had to run over long distances to find an exit just so I could move to a new area of the city. But these dislikes are minor in comparison.

Overall, I enjoyed this game immensely. I feel Bioware is putting a big story together. The scope of DAII's story was not as big as DAO in the traditional sense, but it seems like this game is setting us up for something big later on.
  25. Mar 30, 2011
    UUUUGH where do i begin, the combat is terrible, there are only 4 dungeons in the entire game, only difference are weather or not some doors are unlocked, the game is FULL of bugs, and they took away one of the most original and best features of origins, being able to pick your race and background.

i could make a list of stuff taken out of this game since origins, and think of only a couple good additions.

The one upgrade since origins is the art style, which i liked, bur even so, most people dont.

And on a final note, BIOWARE you might possibly have the worst marketing department EVER.

Well you post fake reviews in metacritic advertising your game, then accuses 4 chan of doing the same thing against you. then you ban a guy from playing a game that he payed for because he broke a rule on your forum.

All in all DA2 isnt Horrible, but its not that good, and as a sequel to DAO it just plain sucks.

If you want a good RPG just wait for Skyrim
  26. Apr 22, 2011
    First of all, the credentials. I've been playing video games for 30 years. I even had a game review published in PCGamer a long time ago. I've enjoyed Bioware games since Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Star Wars KOTR, all the way through Dragon Age. Anyone who is hating on this title is either crazy or bitter. Dragon Age 2- compared to any other modern video game, is excellent andFirst of all, the credentials. I've been playing video games for 30 years. I even had a game review published in PCGamer a long time ago. I've enjoyed Bioware games since Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, and Star Wars KOTR, all the way through Dragon Age. Anyone who is hating on this title is either crazy or bitter. Dragon Age 2- compared to any other modern video game, is excellent and definitely above average. You can script your characters to do certain things, activate spells or abilities, or behave in certain ways. This scripting cuts down the micromanagement, but allows you to more fully enjoy the game. Pluses: Interesting characters, sweeping story, and well over 30 hours of gameplay, and that's not completing most of the sidequests. Cons: Graphics look a little dated, dialouge options often lead to the same outcome, combat is mostly button mashing. I was disappointed importing your character has very little effect on the game. Many of the negative . It's not perfect.

I definitely would recommend this game for RPG fans. You wont be disappointed.
  27. Jul 14, 2011
    I'm having trouble following the justification that many reviewers attempt in their reviews after giving this game multiple horrid reviews, even 0's. Really? Do you really think this game is so broken and unplayable that it deserves a 0? Or are they giving it a 0 because the overall revamped gameplay design is geared more towards the mass audience of gamers, which generally doesn't consistI'm having trouble following the justification that many reviewers attempt in their reviews after giving this game multiple horrid reviews, even 0's. Really? Do you really think this game is so broken and unplayable that it deserves a 0? Or are they giving it a 0 because the overall revamped gameplay design is geared more towards the mass audience of gamers, which generally doesn't consist of hardcore RPG diehards? Let's be fair: despite the dumbed down gameplay, strategy, storyline choices, and micro-management, it's still an entertaining predecessor to an RPG that I was personally a huge fan of. I loved Dragon Age: Origins, having played through it a total of 3 times, and I can honestly say that I am not heavily disappointed in the sequel at all. I completed all of the side quests and the main storyline, finishing all of this in approximately 35 hours, so it might be slightly shorter than the original, but still satisfying. Don't be mislead by these haters when it comes to the quality of this game: it's not deserving of such fire, especially from previous fans. The graphics are improved, but not significantly, which is why I can't understand why people claim the visuals are actually worse. Character models are about as good as they were in Origins, but the battle animations and details are greatly improved. The dialogue in this game is absolutely astounding as well as downright hilarious at times, and the voice acting is superb. Sandal makes a triumphant return in this one, causing me to bust out laughing too many times for me to count. Despite containing some generic sidequests, there are some extremely engaging and original ones as well to occupy your time. The inventory system has been revamped as well, simplified to accommodate more casual gamers, but also repelling fans of the old party customization in Origins. You can no longer customize which clothing and armor to equip to party members, being stuck with their same outfit with minor cosmetic changes that are accompanied with upgrades found throughout the game. The spell and skill trees are also simplified as well, consisting of a primary skill and basic upgrades to that spell or skill to invest points into. The characters on Dragon Age 2 are all extremely likable, and you generally care about their background stories and problems. Th combat system has been entirely changed as well, but is that a good thing? Although I liked the strategic and tactical combat from the original, I'm not fuming at Bioware for making the switch. The faster paced combat is much more brutal and loads more satisfying, despite being nothing more than a slight button masher. Do I prefer it over the original? I can't really say. It is a button masher, but I've never been a hater of button mashers. Somehow, completely dismembering bandits from the waist-up with one massive sword swipe really gets the blood flowing. There are a few gripes I have with this game, with the main one being repetitive environments. You don't realize until later on, but you will visit the same dank caverns and dark sewers several times over during multiple sidequests and even some main ones. Kirkwall's bustling streets and busy bazaars tire rapidly, and even when you travel outside of the city, it's essentially the same places with items generated in since the last time you traveled there. In Dragon Age: Origins, the entire feel of traveling anywhere on an entire continent was exciting, but feels rather congested and caged in DA2. Another issue I had with this game was that the storyline lacked any real arc to it. I never felt that the story was being built up until I was one quest away from advancing to the next act, and it's basically a paper-thin plot. With that being said, it's still a fantastic tale with an overwhelming amount of lore and background details on the entire world that the game takes place in. The history is extremely rich, and I wouldn't be surprised to see multiple spin-offs with this particular world, such as novels or even movies (if neither of these exist yet). The conversation wheel from Mass Effect was implemented into this game, which I enjoyed, but prefer the original "choose your dialogue" option from the first one. I also noticed that conversations when speaking with NPC's don't "flow", or so to speak, as well as they did in Mass Effect, despite them being expertly written. Overall, I rather enjoyed myself during the span of Dragon Age. The combat is satisfying, characters are deep, quests and dialogue really shine, and the lore of the entire Dragon Age series is outstanding. Don't listen to the haters that give it anything below a 7. When you first hear Sandal's familiar voice cry out "ENCHANTMENT!?", you know you've got yourself a quality sequel to an epic series. Expand
  28. Mar 21, 2011
    lots of Bioware fans are disappointed by Dragon Age II, but if we need to study the gamers reaction, a 0 score is not a review, it's a response to Bioware and EA for making a game that did not satisfy the DA fans
    even games like Prison Brake did not get a 0 score, and trust me that game is bad!
    now for the review, Dragon Age II is not what Dragon Age was, it changes lots of things, from
    now for the review,
    Dragon Age II is not what Dragon Age was, it changes lots of things, from gameplay, to scenes, to graphics, etc...
    now if you are playing on a PC with DX11 capable card, you will enjoy the very high graphics, if not, ah well, you will have to suffice with the medium settings on DX9 or High on DX10.
    the gameplay becomes fast paced and by that DA II can be called an action RPG, so the game now is console friendly more than its predecessor. But what let the game down, is the repeated scenes, the limited options for an RPG,
    other than that, the combat is still fun, the choices have a superb impact on the story.
    If you really enjoyed Dragon Age Origins, there is a good possibility that you will be disappointed by Dragon Age II but that does not mean you won't have any fun playing it.
  29. Mar 13, 2011
    I believe that this games shining points are its story and well crafted world. it manages to pull out some of the most sincere dramatic story telling I've seen in the last few years. The battle system has changed since origins, i would like to say it has improved but I'm still just learning, i know the team said they were trying to make the skill tree's more simple but i don't think theirI believe that this games shining points are its story and well crafted world. it manages to pull out some of the most sincere dramatic story telling I've seen in the last few years. The battle system has changed since origins, i would like to say it has improved but I'm still just learning, i know the team said they were trying to make the skill tree's more simple but i don't think their description of abilities and their effects were effective. secondly the game could have been polished and tested for bugs a little bit more. while no bugs are game breaking some can be used to circumvent difficulty.

Overall I enjoyed the story. I enjoyed the story a lot, the end of chapter's 2 and 3 were great closers for those particular story arc's. I truly loved how side quests and secondary quests would tie into the storyline, and would often times give you background on what is happening currently and also foreshadow what will happen in the future. There are few if any plot twists and points that aren't founded in or logical in the game.

Boss fights were much improved over the first game many of them seemed unique in approach, and challenging if a plan isn't devised or your squad isn't adequately set up. The game seemed to miss the sweet spot for length, took me about 45 hours play time to beat on my first run-through, it will probably drop down to around 30 on any subsequent play-through. Ideally it would have been 60 hours. But i can't knock them for leaving me wanting more.

Gripes are that I don't have nearly as much control over my party roster as I would like because all the companions are glued to one weapon type, or have a unique specialisation without the ability to learn another specialisation.

Inventory has been simplified with a new star system telling you how good an item is compared to your level. The old system from origins seemed to make more sense to me due to the fact that in this game most equipment only has one name, so you will be stuck with numerous items that say belt, or sword, and they all would have different effects stats and bonuses. This becomes a problem when you start trashing loot and finding the ones you do want to keep against the ones you don't becomes a hassle.

The most important thing though is that I thoroughly enjoyed this game and I am about to start up my second play-through.
  30. Mar 29, 2011
    Great game 10 out of 10......well done bioware keep up the good work....:-)...............................cannot wait for the movie...................
  31. Mar 16, 2011
    Twenty hours into the game the world seems to continue to expand. The combat remains true to the original while increasing the pace of the combat. Boss battles are far more inspired than most RPG's. I encountered one boss where I had to manage my part to heal, tank the boss, take out adds, run behind a pillar before it does a huge aoe. It felt very much like doing a WoW raid, but withoutTwenty hours into the game the world seems to continue to expand. The combat remains true to the original while increasing the pace of the combat. Boss battles are far more inspired than most RPG's. I encountered one boss where I had to manage my part to heal, tank the boss, take out adds, run behind a pillar before it does a huge aoe. It felt very much like doing a WoW raid, but without the incompetence of other players. Only thing that holds this game back from a 10 are the use of the same locations for many of the quests. It breaks the immersion when you realized you been to this same spot 10 times to save mages, fight dragons, find bandits, locate an item ect. Expand
  32. Mar 17, 2011
    I have no idea how anyone would be able to successfully play this on a console on the harder settings. I was a bit afraid they would have made this game easier due to some of the press pre release. But, as they say, only the easier settings have been made easier. Nightmare is alot harder, especially at the start. And the game is difficult in some ways which we are not accustomed. You cantI have no idea how anyone would be able to successfully play this on a console on the harder settings. I was a bit afraid they would have made this game easier due to some of the press pre release. But, as they say, only the easier settings have been made easier. Nightmare is alot harder, especially at the start. And the game is difficult in some ways which we are not accustomed. You cant actively tank stuff. You cant as easily control threat. Its more about movement and position tactics then other games. Usually, using such tactics are exploitive, due to game design, like pathing etc. And its not perfect in this game but its a step in the right direction. Expand
  33. Mar 18, 2011
    This game is not truly DA2. It is a well designed game, but unfortunately instead of building on the success of DA:O, it takes bits and pieces from that game and tries to go in a new direction. I give the company credit with trying to change and improve upon the game. However, if you are trying to make a series of DA games, you probably should have taken the time to improve the originalThis game is not truly DA2. It is a well designed game, but unfortunately instead of building on the success of DA:O, it takes bits and pieces from that game and tries to go in a new direction. I give the company credit with trying to change and improve upon the game. However, if you are trying to make a series of DA games, you probably should have taken the time to improve the original games shortcomings before releasing this game. All that said. I thoroughly enjoyed this game(enough to play through it 4 separate times). Just keep in mind that you are not getting Dragon Age: Origins 2. You are getting Dragon Age: Kirkwall.
    I would have rated it a 5 because of its succession behind DA:O, but instead I chose to rate the game based on its own merits and shortcomings.
  34. Apr 2, 2011
    Dragon Age II si è evoluto nel corso dei mesi rimanendo costantemente in bilico su un sottile filo all'apparenza sempre in procinto di spezzarsi. Fin dal primo incontro in una delle fiere di settore, vedere dal vivo il sequel, talvolta anche provandolo in prima persona, ci trasmetteva sensazioni sempre diverse talvolta persino in contrasto tra loro. Ogni tanto rimanevamo conDragon Age II si è evoluto nel corso dei mesi rimanendo costantemente in bilico su un sottile filo all'apparenza sempre in procinto di spezzarsi. Fin dal primo incontro in una delle fiere di settore, vedere dal vivo il sequel, talvolta anche provandolo in prima persona, ci trasmetteva sensazioni sempre diverse talvolta persino in contrasto tra loro. Ogni tanto rimanevamo con l'amaro in bocca, altre volte uscivamo dalla sessione di test esaltati e non sono mancate le volte in cui ci siamo sentiti completamente indifferenti nei confronti del gioco. Questo miscuglio di stati d'animo li abbiamo riprovati anche nel corso delle prime, lunghe ore di gioco in vista della recensione; ma fortunatamente più ci siamo lasciati trasportare dal flusso degli eventi e più le nostre sensazioni negative venivano dissolte e soppiantate da quelle positive. Dragon Age II è evidentemente un titolo schizofrenico che ha costretto BioWare a raggiungere grandi compromessi in fase di design nel tentativo finale di realizzare un gioco di ruolo action profondo e dettagliato nei contenuti ma allo stesso tempo immediato e semplificato nelle meccaniche di gioco.
    In questo sequel sono decisamente più presenti e meglio delineati soprattutto nelle caratterizzazioni dei personaggi. Rimane la scelta multipla senza alcun tipo di limite temporale con l'aggiunta di una piccola indicazione visiva che dovrebbe suggerire al giocatore l'approccio di Hawke al dialogo se si sceglie quell'opzione. Il sistema funziona piuttosto bene, soprattutto nella componente di approfondimento al dialogo: è infatti possibile indagare durante le chiacchierate per avere maggiori elementi di storia e, a seconda dei personaggi presenti nel party, talvolta si sbloccano opzioni per far partecipare alla discussione o per far agire i propri compagni. Purtroppo non mancano delle volte in cui inevitabilmente si fraintende la scelta che si sta per fare e soprattutto ci sentiamo di criticare la precisa scelta di BioWare di eliminare del tutto una competenza del protagonista nella persuasione: scordatevi quindi opzioni di dialogo per evitare combattimenti o raggirare l'interlocutore se non in casi rarissimi previsti dalla storia stessa. Ma arriviamo al cuore di Dragon Age II: i combattimenti. Qui si esplicita con forza quella ricerca di un compromesso operata da BioWare durante la realizzazione del suo progetto. E' evidente come si sia voluto semplificare e rendere molto più immediati, attivi e probabilmente coinvolgenti i combattimenti spostando il focus sull'azione in tempo reale quasi a voler ricercare l'anima più action di un qualsiasi RPG d'azione che si rispetti. Il risultato è buono solo in parte ed è estremamente legato al livello di difficoltà scelto (che può comunque essere cambiato in qualsiasi momento del gioco). Giocando infatti ai livelli facile o normale si andrà avanti suonando con forza il pulsante X, quello del colpo standard, quasi sul limite del button mashing di un qualsiasi picchiaduro a scorrimento. L'importante è gestire adeguatamente il mana o il vigore a seconda della classe per attivare le varie magie e abilità speciali e aver "configurato" i membri del party a ogni cambio di livello attraverso il menu delle tattiche, ripreso di sana pianta da quello di Origins. In questo modo ad esempio sarà possibile impostare, anche automaticamente attraverso dei set pre-impostati, l'aggressività dei compagni di squadra e far gestire all'intelligenza artificiale l'uso delle loro abilità. La cosiddetta pausa tattica è sempre presente con la pressione del grilletto sinistro ma sarà necessario solo negli scontri più difficili bloccare l'azione per far magari bere una pozione a un compagno o indirizzarlo verso un nemico in particolare. Il risultato è un'azione costante, frenetica e anche piuttosto adrenalinica ma che ovviamente tralascia in blocco la profondità tipica di una gestione avanzata del party.
    Gestione che diventa invece cruciale e costante se si scelgono i due livelli di difficoltà maggiori ma con un drammatico rovescio della medaglia: comandare manualmente i compagni diventa un'esigenza fondamentale per superare anche gli scontri con i nemici più stupidi, soprattutto se questi si presentano in grandi numeri, pena la morte costante dei personaggi più deboli o l'uso incessante di pozioni (a discapito dell'economia del protagonista). Ma così facendo viene fuori tutta la macchinosità del sistema di controllo che si appoggia a un menu radiale che compare quando si utilizza la pausa tattica e che serve a dare qualsiasi tipo di comando. L'impossibilità di muovere liberamente la telecamera (se non tramite l'uso di magie e abilità con area di effetto) e un sistema di targeting basato sull'angolo di visuale dei personaggi contribuiscono a rendere ogni scontro una sorta di micro-gestione certosina. Sicuramente questo stile può soddisfare i giocatori di ruolo più incalliti.
  35. May 27, 2011
    Fun game. The bad things: too simplified, not being able to change your party members is a no-no in RPG ('action' RPG's or no). Auto-attack should be an option, constantly pushing the attack button is just a chore and adds nothing to combat - which is way too easy.
    Good stuff: Although the combat is easy, it is still fun. Most strategy will be things like 'kill the mage first' or 'use ice weapons', pretty basic but still enjoyable. Graphics are great. But, what got me to like the game despite the RPG-sins were the characters and story. It was refreshing not to have a simple 'go kill ultimate baddie and save the world' arch like in origins. Ultimately the games weakness (easy combat) puts that much more focus on its strength (plot and characters). Personally I hope they return to a top down, baldur's gate-style rpg for the next installment, but this is still a fun game even if sometimes you just wait for the next plot device and watch people explode. (and the PC version is much better)

I would give this game an 8, but all of the fanboy rage '0's need to have some counter-balance, so +2.
  36. Aug 25, 2011
    oh and metacritic sucks go ahead and ban my account i aitn going to use it again hahaha hmm i wonder if i can delete my account myself hmm must look into that
  37. Aug 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. wow people are picky. Bioware is a AAA developer and this is their worst game in years but like i said they are a AAA developer and even the worst of their games are at least an 8/10 compared to other games. To be honest the personal character choices available is what makes this game stand out, the choices in this game have been well refined although we don't see some of them carry over from dao. Also i don't get the hateing on hawk yeah he doesn't kill like 3 high dragons but he is a realistic character with problems as compared to the warden. All in all this game is not terrible but it is not biowares best. Expand
  38. Aug 31, 2011
    Seriously a 0, I wouldn't even give Halo reach a 0. When I saw Dragon Age 2, received a negative review, I lost all hope in gamers. Now gamers are just a mob of hipsters that follow the leader. Dragon age 2 was superior to Orgins in every way. The combat was better, the story telling was amazing and graphics were good. I was so impressed with the game I beat it, replayed it imediatelySeriously a 0, I wouldn't even give Halo reach a 0. When I saw Dragon Age 2, received a negative review, I lost all hope in gamers. Now gamers are just a mob of hipsters that follow the leader. Dragon age 2 was superior to Orgins in every way. The combat was better, the story telling was amazing and graphics were good. I was so impressed with the game I beat it, replayed it imediately after. I have Orgins on the Pc and DA2 on xbox, after DA2, Orgins is unplayable. Origins is basically a single player WoW, you have spells on massive cooldowns while most of the fight is auto-attacks. I know a lot of gamers try and act like they're old school and love old style combat, but if you like old style games so much, play your old games then. A game should strive to be like it's cinematics, and due to tech limitations we couldn't but now it's possible. I've been playing games since commodore 64, and I always like when a company takes a step forward. Bioware always does that. Sad that most people don't want games to advance. Expand
  39. Mar 19, 2011
    .. Well, where do I start. There were various of bugs and glitches in the game I didn't quite enjoy. One of them prevented me from getting an extra party member. And another one pretty much never allowed me to die. In this game, your more of an errand boy/girl through out the game. But; it stuck with DA:O story very well. The same map/area is contently reused over, and over again. But; you.. Well, where do I start. There were various of bugs and glitches in the game I didn't quite enjoy. One of them prevented me from getting an extra party member. And another one pretty much never allowed me to die. In this game, your more of an errand boy/girl through out the game. But; it stuck with DA:O story very well. The same map/area is contently reused over, and over again. But; you are in the same area through out the game. That was the bad review. The good: It was.. At the right pace. Everyone rants on about how it was TOO fast. DA:O was too slow. While in DA:O I found myself hitting one button in a fight; and then going to the bathroom or something else while I waited for the fight to be over. Maybe every now and then I hit a button. I found myself actually staying for the game; actually playing the game. and lots more. The graphics had minor improvements. The storyline may not be as good as DA:O; but it's still quite impressive for what it was (It's a sequel with a good storyline? Bonus points). Some of you said that this game is too fast paced because of it's animations.. What? No; animation is for effects. While the combat may look as though it's faster; the average fight in DA:O and DA2 has minor time differences. I found myself using the same strategy in both games. Think of what to do; do it, and make minor changes if I it didn't go as plan; but except I have to repeatedly hit A, which I enjoy; I have something to do while I think of my next plan. I also find it a little harder to stay alive nDA2 then DA:O (Mainly cause of a healing tree taken away). Classes are as balance as they were in DA:O. Oh! Your character talks! I found this really shocking. And I recently discovered that your personality is set by how often you make a choice. For example; if you were to talk in a joking way a lot, your tone of voice will change and adjust to that depending how often you used it. I thought this was a very interesting game mechanic. You and other characters have there own set of personality (of course). And none of them are really boring either. (Well except for Fenris). I know I'm suppose to talk about the game; but it really bothers me that people actually give this game a big zero. Is the game so bad; even in comparison to the original, that it had to be given a zero? I even hear that this is the last game you will EVER buy from Bioware. Really now? Jees' calm down drama queen. "This game was a rushed game" This I agree with. The game didn't get enough time I would like to assume. But yes; rushed would be one of the right words during the production of this video game. You guys also seem to LOVE including un-related games into the subject as well. Comparing them for your own purpose to make this game look bad. I'm honestly starting to think you guys are just going with what people are saying. And not actually playing the game to your fullest. I even find some of yo using the same lines as the next guy. You play this game with your hopes way to high; and expectations even higher.] I kept my expectations low. The second I heard Dragon Age 2 was coming out, I thought "Eh; it's probably going to be a bad sequel like every other movie.game." But it wasn't! The game was surprisingly a lot better than I imagined it to be; sure there were some minor improvements needed to be done, but over all it was still good. Don't just listen to what others say; hell, you don't have to listen to what I say; just look up a video of the game play, if you like; try, if not; then whatever. This game does NOT deserve a straight zero. MOST of you guys aren't even reviewing over the story! I know I might be taking some lines from BigLou, I know I'm a bit hypocrite. But I swear to you right now; I wrote all this down before I read his. Expand
  40. Mar 20, 2011
    People seem to forget that no game is ever perfect when it's first released. A lot of the tech issues, like auto attack and the SDTV formatting issues will be resolved in patches. (SDTV owners switch over to a widescreen format via your console settings and you'll be fine in cutscenes until a patch is released.) With that said I thoroughly enjoyed DA2. The storyline was engaging enoughPeople seem to forget that no game is ever perfect when it's first released. A lot of the tech issues, like auto attack and the SDTV formatting issues will be resolved in patches. (SDTV owners switch over to a widescreen format via your console settings and you'll be fine in cutscenes until a patch is released.) With that said I thoroughly enjoyed DA2. The storyline was engaging enough that I could not put my controller down until I reached the end and the credits rolled. BioWare gave you many choices throughout the main storyline. Some made me have to walk away and take a break to actually think about it. There was brilliant work done with the VAs and the graphics look more polished and smoother. Having Hawke fully voiced was a nice change from Origins and something from the Mass Effect series that I wished Origins had had in the first place.

Yes, combat may have been "dumbed" down a bit to try and appeal to a wider audience but you can still pause and micromanage your party if you wish. Auto-attack would've been nice however I didn't miss its absence when I played as a rogue/warrior as I actually liked being â
  41. Mar 22, 2011
    This game deserves much more recognition than most people are really giving. It is an overall improvement all over the first. A more cinematic approach to make you feel more close to the characters and the combat is now fast-paced without losing its strategic way. I've played the demo and I'm very satisfied with my experience, I'm definitely buy the full version. They made the game a darkThis game deserves much more recognition than most people are really giving. It is an overall improvement all over the first. A more cinematic approach to make you feel more close to the characters and the combat is now fast-paced without losing its strategic way. I've played the demo and I'm very satisfied with my experience, I'm definitely buy the full version. They made the game a dark fantasied Mass Effect and that is awesome. Good job Bioware! You are always improving and for that I am your loyalist. Expand
  42. May 28, 2011
    A game that should not be compaerd to its predecessor but considered in all minds as a great game on its own. It may upset the previous game's fans and lack Origins' expanse but it is immersive, fun and exciting throughout with quite a few memorable characters and options to explore.
  43. May 17, 2011
    Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment and now Dragon Age 2. This pinnacle of RPG's has taken the storytelling and interactive combat to another level. Its smooth combat aided by the future generation of quicktime events proves that turn-based RPG's are a thing of the past. Extreme unprecedented level of detail makes the cities feel alive and it makes it feel like you are living in the game.

A

A must buy for any oldschool RPG fanatic.
  44. Mar 16, 2011
    Dragon age 2 is an amazing game! It has graphics, and combat, and role playing game mechanics. There is also dialogue. I want to be a dragon, but Flemeth says I can't :(
  45. Mar 22, 2011
    I like the game. It's face paced, exciting, with enough story and emotional turmoil to fill in the gaps. The story is perhaps a bit sparser than in other (BioWare) games, or at least much more focused and small scale: it's about YOUR character, not about EVERYTHING. That said, I still find the story interesting, even compelling.

It's true that much has been trimmed (streamlined, dumbed

It's true that much has been trimmed (streamlined, dumbed down; the term you pick depends on your expectations going in). The inventory is very simple, you only choose armor for your own character, although you can pick weapons and accessories for all of your companions, as well as yourself. There's still attribute customization, and quite a lot of skills; however, the skill system is much more about getting a few powerful active abilities, rather than lots and lots of semi-meaningful passives. I, for one, prefer this system (although I was a huge fan of BG, NWN, KotOR, etc.). It makes me feel much more in control in combat: I know what everything does and how to use it. It makes combat fun, and not at all cumbersome.

It seems to me that many of the negative reviews stem from the game not meeting people's expectations. I'm sorry to hear those people were disappointed, but I think that if you go in with an open mind, you'll find an excellent game.
  46. Mar 13, 2011
    There is something wrong with everyone that is saying that this is a bad game. It's not perfect but it is very fun, has great controls, a good story and characters, and the graphics are better then the first one. This game is very fun and most people giving it a bad score just either liked the first one too much or are just very extreme PC gamers that think the game is broken or something.There is something wrong with everyone that is saying that this is a bad game. It's not perfect but it is very fun, has great controls, a good story and characters, and the graphics are better then the first one. This game is very fun and most people giving it a bad score just either liked the first one too much or are just very extreme PC gamers that think the game is broken or something. So if your looking for a fun, sometimes addictive RPG then you should definitely pick up Dragon Age 2. Expand
  47. Mar 17, 2011
    I don't know why people are being so harsh on Dragon Age 2. All i wanted from this title was to feel that i was really THE CHAMPION OF KIRKWALL! And it did! The history isn't as epic as the first one, there isn't a great threat to humanity. Instead we have a deep history about a human and his family. It tells how he rise to fame and fortune. I really loved this game! I played KOTOR, DragonI don't know why people are being so harsh on Dragon Age 2. All i wanted from this title was to feel that i was really THE CHAMPION OF KIRKWALL! And it did! The history isn't as epic as the first one, there isn't a great threat to humanity. Instead we have a deep history about a human and his family. It tells how he rise to fame and fortune. I really loved this game! I played KOTOR, Dragon Age Origins and i also loved them all. Dragon Age 2 has a special place in my heart, it was the first game that i completed 100%, i really wanted to feel that i was Hawke and never wanted his 10-years-long adventure to come to and end... But it did and now i want Dragon Age 3 as bad as ever! Expand
  48. Jun 19, 2011
    This game has blown my mind. At first I was skeptical due to the harsh user critics, but after playing it through for myself I can confirm that this game is not only an improvement over its predecessor, but also an inspirational game in every sense of the word. Take it from me: any and all negative reviews must be trolls, since I can't seem to find a damn thing wrong with this game. AThis game has blown my mind. At first I was skeptical due to the harsh user critics, but after playing it through for myself I can confirm that this game is not only an improvement over its predecessor, but also an inspirational game in every sense of the word. Take it from me: any and all negative reviews must be trolls, since I can't seem to find a damn thing wrong with this game. A truly great game, Dragon Age 2 is poised to be an instant classic. The graphics, the storyline, the animations, the combat, the voice acting, the game itself is unparalleled to many modern titles that refuse to move forward (I'm looking at you, TW2). I'm glad the developers of Dragon Age 2 appealed to not only a much wider audience, but also to their hardcore fans. I love the fact that I can now discuss the Dragon Age 2 series openly and with many fans around the world starting a conversation is as easy as taking a dump. As for us hardcore fans, we called out to them for change, and they delivered. I'm glad to see a much wider array of romance options. Dragon Age 2 is a leading developer in the support of equal rights in video games, as me and my girlfriends have all agreed.
    I wish I could give this game a 20/10, but even that won't balance out the amount of trolls, haters and downright flamers that this game has angered because of it's innovative nature.
    Keep on truckin' BioWare!
  49. Mar 17, 2011
    I loved it. People can hate on Bioware all they want but this game was fantastic. The beginning seemed a bit slow at first, but I don't believe it could have been any other way. The manner in which the story ramps up the juice first slowly then with greater speed had me questioning my decisions and at one point sitting in shock. This was a great game. Yes it is different, and I applaudI loved it. People can hate on Bioware all they want but this game was fantastic. The beginning seemed a bit slow at first, but I don't believe it could have been any other way. The manner in which the story ramps up the juice first slowly then with greater speed had me questioning my decisions and at one point sitting in shock. This was a great game. Yes it is different, and I applaud Bioware for smashing the mold on a tired old game system that is simply no longer needed in this day and age. This was not DnD, this was not Dragon Age: Origins. This was something new and beautiful. RPG's were never supposed to be about hitting action keys and spending hours on a leveling process. It is about playing a role.

In Dragon Age: 2 you play the role of Hawke, starting out as just a guy trying to get by, you are inexplicably pulled into a whirlwind of events happening in your new home. The new interface is clean, and the fact that it fades from view when not needed is fantastic. I have loved the programmable controller button concept since Fable 1, and I choose my characters skills to keep me off the radial menu. The potential to either directly control your associates or just let them hang back and do their job was wonderful. I hate pausing a game. As to the story I found it to be intriguing. At first, despite hype I had read since the game was announced, I truly didn't know what was happening. I started to wonder how long I would have to do all these side quests... then BAM something big happens. From that point it just gets bigger. This game literally had me in shock. At least twice I set my controller down and just stared at my giant screen. One time I reloaded just to make sure I had understood what had happened. I was confused that after such a short time I genuinely felt close to a character I had largely ignored. Bravo Bioware!

This game defies the standard that so many people have begun to believe comprises an RPG. It takes the story and gameplay and merges them into something that begs to be called art. Is it for everyone? Well it should be! There is no excuse with the computational power at our finger tips not to finally advance the genre. This was a bold move and I think one that pays off. Love it or hate it, the game has finally changed. As to the current accusations that Bioware employees tried to inflate the rating here. If that were the case then you would have seen far more positive reviews. How naive to think most companies from game developers to hardware manufacturers do not inflate reviews every chance they get. I am glad in this case for had I not seen the article on another site I would not have realized that so many people, many of which could work for Bioware's competitors had written bad reviews of a game I deeply enjoyed. So here I am. I agree whole heartedly with Avanost that dislike for this game largely stems from an inability to let go of conventions. We gamers are constantly derisive of anyone who "clones" another companies games (one in particular comes to mind in the MMO space) and yet the moment true innovation, skillfully executed hits the shelf we cry foul and crawl back in our familiar box unable to contend with change. I am disappoint in all of you!

I say cheers Bioware! Now go use that engine for Old Republic 3... I want to smash things with a lightsaber!!!
  50. Apr 7, 2011
    This was an extremely solid game with a ton of content, a lot of fun dialogue and gameplay which was improved over the original. The story is a bit fragmented and the ending is an enormous cliffhanger, but the amount of content and dialogue available to you in this game makes up for such shortcomings.

In my opinion this was overall a much better game than the original.
  51. May 30, 2011
    What the **** is everyone **** about? "Oh, this game is SO NOT DRAGON AGE ORIGINS..." Okay, what the hell is the game's name? DRAGON AGE 2! It's a different game you ****ing idiots. I for one love this game, and I cannot put it down. Don't listen to these emo **** DA2 is a solid game in its own right. Sure it may be different, but it's still a solid RPG. Bioware, you're doing a great job.What the **** is everyone **** about? "Oh, this game is SO NOT DRAGON AGE ORIGINS..." Okay, what the hell is the game's name? DRAGON AGE 2! It's a different game you ****ing idiots. I for one love this game, and I cannot put it down. Don't listen to these emo **** DA2 is a solid game in its own right. Sure it may be different, but it's still a solid RPG. Bioware, you're doing a great job. Don't listen to some dumbasses who are cutting themselves because you changed the battle system on them. Expand
  52. Apr 6, 2012
    This games predecessor Dragon Age: Origins is one of my top 10 favorite games of all time, one of my top 3 favorite Bioware games, and Bioware is my favorite game developers of all time, so naturally I had high hopes for this game, and it for the most part didn't disappoint, it's not as good as Origins but it manages to be a fantastic RPG that you'll love every hour and night of sleepThis games predecessor Dragon Age: Origins is one of my top 10 favorite games of all time, one of my top 3 favorite Bioware games, and Bioware is my favorite game developers of all time, so naturally I had high hopes for this game, and it for the most part didn't disappoint, it's not as good as Origins but it manages to be a fantastic RPG that you'll love every hour and night of sleep missed you spend playing this fantastic game, it took me a little ove 33 hours to beat, Origins was a reminder of old school RPG's, this one feels more modern but manages also to maintain that classic feel, there is a lot of content to sink into, lots of side quests and hidden secrets to find, the story is great and really sets the pace for future entries in this fantastic series, and kudos to Bioware for doing something different with it's story than other RPG's and it's previous ones, also you have the ability to import you save from Origins, granted it doesn't do much other then alter a few lines of dialog and cameo appearances, but it's still a pretty sweet addition, and the characters as always with Bioware games are fantastic and extremely likable but not all are Bioware's best, the graphics are better than Origins but there not all that great, and the soundtrack and voice acting are fantastic and they gave us the conversation system of their Mass Effect series and my only complaint are that sometimes your character will talk on his own, but for 99.99% of the game your making the decisions but it's still irritating to have my character talk without my permission, and the gameplay has been changed from the originals, in some ways for the better and in some ways for the worst, on the plus side it's more interactive so your not just watching battles play out, but on the down side a lot of the time your just mashing the A button until you abilities recharge, but it's still fun, so in closing it's not as good as the first, but Bioware once again created a fantastic game and RPG that I'm already wanting to play through again, and I'm going to try and play the DLC in the near future, once again I'm blown away with what Bioware has done, and this game has only increased my faith in this fantastic company and this fantastic series, in my personal opinion this is a must play, truly fantastic. Expand
  53. Apr 13, 2011
    Dragon Age II suffers from the same ailment as Fallout: New Vegas - people were expecting their worlds to be completely shattered, and when it wasn't, they went onto Metacritic and started trolling the threads and giving the game "0" ratings. This game is not a 0. It's not a 5. It's also not a 10, but a 7 or 8 is fair. Why? It's a fun game! It might not be what you expected, and itDragon Age II suffers from the same ailment as Fallout: New Vegas - people were expecting their worlds to be completely shattered, and when it wasn't, they went onto Metacritic and started trolling the threads and giving the game "0" ratings. This game is not a 0. It's not a 5. It's also not a 10, but a 7 or 8 is fair. Why? It's a fun game! It might not be what you expected, and it might have eliminated some of the elements that you enjoyed from DA:O, but it's also drastically better in a number of ways. What shocks me is how people call this came "dumbed down" in relation to DA:O, when really very few mechanical elements changed between the games. First, I don't see why people are saying the combat system got a "complete overhaul" and is "dumbed down." It's the exact same combat system, except you have to press A over and over to make your character use his/her basic attack, instead of your character simply automatically attacking the target. There's still the same hot buttons, same radial menu, same tactics slots for your companions, same everything. Combat is nearly identical in terms of interface to DA:O, except now it LOOKS a whole lot cooler. Not dumbed down in the least, unless you thought DA:O was dumbed down, too. Second, the use of the Mass Effect dialogue wheel vastly improves conversation, making the story far more engaging. Playing a character with a discernible voice and personality is a lot more fun than playing an awkward mute. As is typical of Bioware games, the characters are well-developed; the voice-acting and writing are excellent, and the story is unfolded in an interesting, compelling manner. Again, maybe you can call this dumbed-down, but many people happen to prefer it.

Third, the graphics are markedly improved over the original. DA:O couldn't hold a candle to many of its contemporaries, including Mass Effect 2. DA2 stands on its own as an impressively designed, intricately detailed and beautifully rendered world. Though somewhat limited in scope (you'll spend most of your time in Kirkwall), you'll embark on enough excursions outside - to mountains, coasts, mines, the Deep Roads - that you won't feel claustrophobic. Finally, I think the classes and skill trees are much more intuitive and well-balanced than in DA:O. You also level more evenly than in DA:O. To me, the skill trees makes more sense and have real benefits associated will completely filling out certain ones as opposed to dabbling in several. There are some really diesel abilities and passive traits in the latter portions of the skill trees, and it gives your characters more defined roles. There are some issues, as it's not a perfect game. The inventory system hasn't been fixed, and you still end up collecting a lot of meaningless and essentially worthless loot. While you still have to fully customize your own character's weapons, armor and accessories, you can't customize your companions' armor (still their weapon/shield and accessories, though). You CAN purchase "upgrades" that add slots for runes, increase attack, defense, etc. It seemed like they were thinking of implementing Mass Effect 2's no-inventory system, but abandoned it at some point without removing the hallmarks of its once-intended existence. It's also annoying when you think you've eliminated a group of enemies, only to find that a new group has spawned ON TOP OF YOUR RANGED ATTACKERS. However, it becomes very obvious early on that this is something that will happen in every battle. If you keep getting killed by these rear-spawning enemies, you're not playing the game intelligently. The game isn't going to stop doing it just because you don't like it, so be aware of that and move your mages/archers as SOON as you finish off a set of enemies...not that hard. Also, there are a good number of fetch quests which don't relate to the main story line. Many of them have interesting little side stories, but they go get old after a while. However, the storylines carry over from act to act, and the quests you get in later acts depend on your actions in prior acts. This adds an interesting element to the consequences of player actions, and it gives the game high replay value.

Overall, I think people rushed to judgment on this game. It really is still very, very similar to DA:O, with more of an illusion of change rather than actual, substantive changes. The important facts are that the graphics are better, the story-telling is better (although the story itself may not be), combat is more fun and it remains a highly customizable experience within the confines of its more linear storyline. Not a bad game at all, and definitely not worth all the 4.5 it current has per user reviews.
  54. Apr 10, 2011
    This game, the storyline, the quests and the characters are all fantastic! In particular interactions between party members as you walk around really bring them to life! The combat animations and sound effects are perfect, defeating hordes of weak enemies has never felt so satisfying for me, you can really feel the force behind your attacks!

The only reason this doesn't get a perfect ten

The only reason this doesn't get a perfect ten is because of the lack of 'heroic stats' that was present in DA:Orgins, which kept track of the damage dealt, received, strongest enemy defeated etc. for all your characters. If that could at some point be modded in, this would be one of my favourite games ever!
  55. Apr 28, 2011
    It has been really hard to actually come up with my full opinion of this game. It wasn't until I had a chance to play it on both the xbox 360 and computer that I finally had it down. All together I won't be saying anything revolutionary: Just as there are elements of DA2 that improved upon elements of DA:O, it also seems to have deviated in some areas that made DA:O great.
    1) Combat-In
    1) Combat-In this area, what system you are playing it on has a huge impact, just like Origins. From the console player's perspective, I greatly enjoyed combat. It felt more fast pace than before. From the PC perspective, there is a definite issue, as one of the greatest parts of Origins was the tactical slant fights took. You can still do a lot of tactical maneuvers in DA2, but it is strained, and mildly unneeded in everything but the hardest playing difficulties. So in my opinion combat succeeds in the console format but definitely falters a little on the computer.
    2) Story - In this area, I think the game did great. While Origins showed us the slightly more stereotypical apocalyptic setting, DA2 does something different, showing the after effects and repercussions of such an event. Characters felt more unique and alive, something I didn't think possible as I loved the characters of DA:O. While the story itself was more confined, at all times you do get a sense of a greater impact from your actions, which I believe will cause people to keep returning to this game when further installments in the series come out, something I didn't get from DA:O. 3) Graphics and Sound - I loved the soundtrack, being of fan of Inon Zur. The graphics were also very good, and I enjoyed the cosmetic changes made to Darkspawn, and even to returning characters in the game like Isabella. My greatest complaint about the game comes in here thou. Map design was horrible in comparison to DA:O, being incredibly linear, and having all of 3 or 4 unique dungeon designs. Things got fairly stale when you realize that you have been to the same dungeon 30 or so times.

All in all, I did love the game, and it did more things right than wrong in my opinion. Some fans of DA:O will undoubtedly find faults with the game, just as the same fans may greatly enjoy the ride.
  56. Jun 20, 2011
    Dragon Age II largely abandons the old-school RPG style and gameplay of its predecessor. Honestly, I think it's a better game for it. The change in style seems to have alienated many people who loved the original for the throw-back design, but the old controls and dynamics showed their age, especially on the console versions. Combat is faster and more visceral in DAII, characterDragon Age II largely abandons the old-school RPG style and gameplay of its predecessor. Honestly, I think it's a better game for it. The change in style seems to have alienated many people who loved the original for the throw-back design, but the old controls and dynamics showed their age, especially on the console versions. Combat is faster and more visceral in DAII, character development has greater depth and strategy, and visuals are up to current-generation standards. It's not a perfect improvement, and shows a number of signs of being rushed; terrain and settings are re-used shamelessly, the story unravels and progress awkwardly during the last act, and most battles depend on spawning hordes of additional combatants to maintain difficulty. It's shortcomings are eclipsed by its improvements, and as usual Bioware's characters and plot writing are phenomenal. The characters you encounter will make you care about them and struggle with their personal dilemmas and conflicts. The plot is interestingly non-linear, advancing without the linear drive of the original but engaging in its own design. Dragon Age II is wholly more modern than the original, and objectively that's a good thing. It won't scratch your itch for an old-school western RPG, but it continues a fascinating plot in a richly detailed fantasy world, dripping with character. On its own merits, it is an exquisite RPG. Expand
  57. Jul 10, 2011
    I'll start by saying Origins was an absolute gem of hardcore tactical RPG design. Dragon Age 2 however, is a different gem. It's combat is far quicker and fluid while still having a healthy dose of strategy. Naysayers will have you believe this is a betrayal of what Dragon Age is, but its just a different style of game. If your one of the people who didn't click with Origins, this newI'll start by saying Origins was an absolute gem of hardcore tactical RPG design. Dragon Age 2 however, is a different gem. It's combat is far quicker and fluid while still having a healthy dose of strategy. Naysayers will have you believe this is a betrayal of what Dragon Age is, but its just a different style of game. If your one of the people who didn't click with Origins, this new title is almost certain to appeal to you.

The fluidity of the combat translates well to the pacey storyline and easily likable characters. The main acts of the story are rather short but the memorable side quests and companion quests will keep your playthrough above 40 hours at least. Your cohorts themselves are very distinguished in personality and appearance as well. Out of the entire party, Varric stands as one my most beloved in the franchise so far. The static approval system has been replaced by a much more dynamic friendship/rivalry system. Gaining an ally's complete loyalty is very rewarding as it opens up new facets of their personality as well as granting a decent stat boost. Hawke's 10 year rise from refugee to champion is an emotional tale, full of suspense and political intrigue. The climax had my head spinning with anticipation for Dragon Age 3. The character Hawke is very well acted as well. Nicholos Boulton and Jo Wyatt put very emotive performances behind whichever personality you decide to give your Hawke. By the final act, you will have laughed, felt deep heartache, given immense power and political sway the city of Kirkwall, and decided the outcome of many morally straining events.

Inventory management has seen a face lift. While you can buy upgrades for your companions armor and attack power and equip accessories, their clothing remains untouchable. Some of their outfits do change and evolve throughout the 10 years of the story however, while some will only change unless your in a romance with them. The only outfit you have complete control over is the player characters. Class weapon types have been altered as well. Warrior's can only use a weapon and shield combo or heft two handed weapons while dual wielding has been restricted to rogues. Mages can carry bladed staffs that do decent melee damage as well. The classes themselves are also nicely varied. Warriors are satisfying tanks who will appeal to the hack-n-slash fan in all of us. While rogues will satisfy a player looking to exert more control of the battlefield by say targeting a dangerous mage, stealthing past its guards and unleashing a devastating single target combo. Mages complete the party by having some very epic spells for dealing death from afar and supporting you during tougher enemy and boss encounters. Crushing prison comes to mind as a personal favorite.

Leveling has been revamped as well. You still gain three points every level but you'll be spending some of them on different attributes. Both a warriors strength and constitution must be improved to wear high end armors while wielding their deadliest weapons only requires high strength. Rogues must only increase cunning by 10 every time to improve lock picking and dexterity for access to top tier weapons but both dexterity and cunning must be improved to don their best armors. For a mage to have access to the best robes they must buff their magic and willpower and better staves will require better magic. There are no truly new specializations but picking skills has moved away from skill tree's and are now skill webs. Each skill is now connected to a category such as Warmonger, Subterfuge, Arcane, etc. Each companion also has a unique skill web you must unlock by gaining either their friendship or rivalry. Overall, I'm pleased with the updated art style, save for one thing, the Darkspawn. Their look is not what I would expect pure all encompassing darkness to be. In Origins, they were the stuff of nightmares, disgusting and unnerving. They remind me of pale faced crack addicts this time around, which makes me very thankful for their limited role in this installment.

My only real gripes with Dragon Age 2 are mainly the limited inventory for your companions gear and some reused dungeon maps. Buying new clothing and armor for your party would be nice but overall I believe its a very small negative in light of the games many other pluses. As for the reused maps, I was so absorbed into the world and story I didn't even start to notice until about 30 hours in. Even then, the maps are still much easier to understand then they were in Origins anyway.

This is a different way of experiencing the world of Thedas and it's not going to be for everyone. Especially die hard fans of the PC version of Dragon Age: Origins. Still, this is an excellent experience that should not be overlooked and certainly lives up to Bioware's excellent pedigree. There is always room for improvement and I for one, cannot wait for Dragon Age 3.
  58. Jul 18, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 is a good game but has several flaws. The repetition of environments and lack of real choices in the game make it feel shallow compared to Origins. The Voice acting, story and gameplay happen to make up for its shortcomings.
  59. Jul 19, 2011
    Melhor visualizado em: criticalplayer.com.br

Dragon Age 2 foi lançado em março de 2011, produzido pela Bioware e distribuído pela EA.

Ã
  60. Aug 9, 2011
    While disappointed by Dragon Age II in some aspects it is till a solid game that contains the Bioware touch. I'm shocked how many diehard Bioware fans claim that they'll never purchase another Bioware game because of this. My score is inflated because so many others on here are terribly deflated. The number of 0s is astonishing considering what a 0 game would really be like.
    Sharp
    Sharp graphics, quick load times, accessible interface, and an intriguing storyline that is unique in the way it tells a story of one person over time, in the same place. I loved that aspect although I understand why some might not. As for the criticism of the dungeons being too repetitive, I agree but this seems far more minor to me than many argue. Why is it so important for the map to be different in those dungeons when they all look so familiar in other games anyhow? In short, I loved this game despite it not living up to the quality of the predecessor.
  61. Aug 16, 2011
    While I totally agree with all of the criticism about the game (it's too short, there's no massive world to explore, etc.), I still feel as if this game was a great game...if viewed on it's own. Now, comparing it to DA:O, or even DA:O - Awakening, it is a TERRIBLE follow-up. I mean, there is no massive world to explore, just one city and a few identical dungeons surrounding. Instead of aWhile I totally agree with all of the criticism about the game (it's too short, there's no massive world to explore, etc.), I still feel as if this game was a great game...if viewed on it's own. Now, comparing it to DA:O, or even DA:O - Awakening, it is a TERRIBLE follow-up. I mean, there is no massive world to explore, just one city and a few identical dungeons surrounding. Instead of a traditional fantasy storyline (the unlikely hero brings a nation together to fight an unimaginable evil), it was more of...a story.

However, despite it's glaring flaws, I still found the new combat system to be a HUGE step forward and the conversation wheel similar to Mass Effect was fantastic. Great companions, interesting story. Just, not a great step forward when compared to it's predecessor. Here's hoping Dragon Age III is better.
  62. Sep 21, 2011
    Where Dragon Age 2 excels is the gameplay, not being an RPG fan I thought it was a great mix of the too. The story line was very well told and interesting, characters where fun to get to know, and over all the game was a success in my book.
  63. Sep 30, 2011
    I did enjoy Da:0 alot. It was truely a joy playing a new rpg in Bioware class and style with a new universe that was both intriguing and dark. As such I did fast favor Da:0 over my old Bioware favorite Mass effect , and while proberly most people sat playing ME2 at launch, I was still stuck playing multiple playthroughs through Ferelden, not touching ME2 until about 3 months ago after II did enjoy Da:0 alot. It was truely a joy playing a new rpg in Bioware class and style with a new universe that was both intriguing and dark. As such I did fast favor Da:0 over my old Bioware favorite Mass effect , and while proberly most people sat playing ME2 at launch, I was still stuck playing multiple playthroughs through Ferelden, not touching ME2 until about 3 months ago after I finished my third playthough of Dragon age 2. I would say now that while Mass effect 1, 2, and DA:O are all terrific games with a quality not touched by any other roleplaying game serie I know of, DA:2 is for me the pinnacle of Bioware rpgs, a stepping stone to something even better. Let me explain: DA:2 is in many ways a different game then DA:O. It has a new dialogue system loaned by Mass effect, a reworked skill system,a new faster phaced fighting system making it into something more of a action game, and a simplication in roleplaying stats as itemization
    and stats. The later, something of the same as ME -> ME2, giving your compainons finalized gear and outfits, not giving you much of a choice customizing anything else then your own characther. While this might seem boring at first and missed, I couldnt in the end really see how it made the game any far less enjoyable. What makes Bioware game shine as much as they do are in my opinion mostly based on how great the compainons are. These characthers that follow you on your quests have always been greatly well done, always making me have more fun being stuck in conversations then actuall fighting in any Bioware game. Having these characthers having unique unchangable looks doesnt really bother me, instead for me it adds to the flavor, making each characther even more unique and unforgetting. I could go with having the option changing their gear, but as the game plays on, it really isnt that all missed. Going back to the compainions conversations and personalies, there is another great change in the dialoge system. Gone is the multiple text choices and in goes the wheel from Mass effect, giving you more pre defined and hinted choices. You always know when you are charming or intemitating, or joking, or being rude or being nice, or being persuaive. You can pretty much look at the icons for each dialoge choice and click it instead of looking at what your characther is actually saying in words. This is for me a big change from DA:O and not something always in my liking. I miss having conversations without a already known outcome. I miss saying something and not really be prepared where the conversation is going. The ME wheel is nice yes, but I really would like something more to DA:O. There is also the problem with about all the conversations being pre decided. Whatever choices you do you always end up with the same outcome in most cases, and this is in my opinion one of DA:2s biggest flaws, which stretches it self even to the games story. Before going into that I would like to finalize that the conversations in DA:2 are still great, well written and entertaining. They could just been less pre decided and defined.
    Going to the game story, its great. Its something of a rise to power story ( which I think is even a catch phrase done by Bioware for the game ), making out how your characther goes from being a nobody to a well respected hero. Its a bit Mass Effect the first over it, and while it may not be as epic or glorious as the first Dragon age's fight against the blight, it is good in its own way. It has all the exitement, twists , characthers and fantasy gory thats needed for a great story in this type of game, and it gets the job done. As with the conversations I do feel at times as whatever I do, Im always being pushed in the same direction. To say that no rpg is linear is false, but its abit to much in DA2, as I can feel my choices always makes me end up all the same. While its understandable that there is a story and I have to keep myself within it, I would like the illusion atleast that my own choices does make a difference, not just a gimmick. If I do run around and scream at whatever person I see, looking for the first best fight, I do not want to end up at the same exact place with the same exact conversation outcomes as if I workship the very ground the npcs are standing at, charming them with words and avoiding conflict at all cost. It was done in DA:O, it should be as well done in DA:2. Going quickly over the other changes, the combat is remade into a faster and more action like experience. I dont find it easier ( actually playing at hardest difficultiy, I have found myself pausing alot more in DA:2 then I ever did in DA:O ) but more fun and innovatie then DA:O was. The skill system is the best I seen in any rpg yet, beside I do miss the crafting abilities being skills. In a summary DA:2 is a sequal with alot of changes going on and not all of them in favor. But it is still quality and a great game that should be played by everyone. Done believe the hate, play it.
  64. Oct 24, 2011
    First, DO NOT LITSEN TO THOSE WHO HATE IT. Here's why: many of those who have written negatively about this game see it as merely the next step from Origins. While it did, they wanted it to step right, when it stepped left.

The game does seem to detract from the concepts that made it so popular with a particular gaming crowd. More specifically, this is the crowd that seems to swarm the internet with their opinions. They expected a game based around old time RPG concepts, as a contrast to the trend of RPGs gaining a greater variety of concepts in cinema, action, and others in recent years. They were, to their dismay, wrong.

Dragon Age 2 wields a strong assortment of new concepts for the modern age. Not all work, but they all build on the fundamental basis that made the first Dragon Age what it was. The gameplay is faster paced, and the cinematic experience is better, and the dialogue system is the best in the business by a bit. Built around a unique and interesting story, the game does feel like it was rushed. The large amount of repeated environments will make this obvious. It can be seen elsewhere, and hurts a number of aspects of the game. This, not on any reasonable level, does not make this game bad. Dragon Age 2 is a fun experience if you enjoy taking a chance on a unique action RPG. Don't expect to find an older styled RPGed, though. Also don't expect it to be great. Too high expectations can kill the experience and magnify what should be negligible flaws. I'd suggest that anyone who is remotely interested to try it at least through demo, though copies seem to be going for cheap after the internet backlash,
  65. Nov 8, 2011
    Surely this isn't a better game then the first part. But still it doesn't deserve all the negative score that it's getting now. Problem with this game is that they have flattened out a few of the RPG elements which shouldn't have been flattened out. Second; I don't get why they have repeating dungeon's. That is a big mistake. My last negative point would be the enemies just spawning nextSurely this isn't a better game then the first part. But still it doesn't deserve all the negative score that it's getting now. Problem with this game is that they have flattened out a few of the RPG elements which shouldn't have been flattened out. Second; I don't get why they have repeating dungeon's. That is a big mistake. My last negative point would be the enemies just spawning next to you. That seems really silly.

So what is so great about this game? The story is just great. It's refreshing not to see some "hero needs to safe the world" story we are all getting used to. It's about a city with (and I dare to say) realistic problems. There is poverty, violence and discrimination. All problems that you are getting involved in and need to solve. The play through I had with this game lasted for 50 hours and those were 50 hours well spend. Simply love it and I hope there will be part 3 soon.
  66. Dec 30, 2011
    After a slew of negative reviews, I thought I would put my two-cents worth in - its a decent game, immersing, visually stunning, challenging, and I am playing it though to the end. There are a few niggles - the character control could be better, repetitive maps, and slow dialogue - but there is a thing called the 'escape key' which allows you to read and then skip the slow speech.
    And yes,
    And yes, you can get male and female characters in bed - but is that such a bad thing as to pan the game to death?!
    Yes, there are better games - but this definitely adds something to the RPG genre and is worth a look.

And no, I don't work for Bioware :)
  67. Nov 11, 2011
    I really enjoyed the Kirkwall atmosphere and i believe the reason i like the game is why traditional RPG enthusiasts diss it. THe game attempts to merge more with the ME2 style of RPG's and i don't think that is a bad thing. The story is solid, Some missions are dumb and the impact of other peoples decisions screws with the choices you would want to make. I guess thats how real life is butI really enjoyed the Kirkwall atmosphere and i believe the reason i like the game is why traditional RPG enthusiasts diss it. THe game attempts to merge more with the ME2 style of RPG's and i don't think that is a bad thing. The story is solid, Some missions are dumb and the impact of other peoples decisions screws with the choices you would want to make. I guess thats how real life is but the dice shouldn't be loaded as much when it comes to the decisions.
    Some of the companions are extremely well done and intrigue you greatly, however if you are committed to a Romantic relationship with one character early on you may not pay as much interest to characters that come along later in the game. Also the amount of grief that is thrown at Hawk is not really fair..Its one emotional body blow after another, and you can't do much about most of the situations.
  68. Nov 17, 2011
    Dragon Age 2 delivers the same classic RPG elements we have come to love from earlier BioWare titles, now with a hint of heavier, more fluent combat that pleases both old and new players alike. The stunning environments of Kirkwall and the surrounding lands never seize to amaze me, while some might be partially reused they still do bother the experience. In conclusion Dragon Age 2 is aDragon Age 2 delivers the same classic RPG elements we have come to love from earlier BioWare titles, now with a hint of heavier, more fluent combat that pleases both old and new players alike. The stunning environments of Kirkwall and the surrounding lands never seize to amaze me, while some might be partially reused they still do bother the experience. In conclusion Dragon Age 2 is a full fledged gaming experience for true RPG fans. Expand
  69. Nov 20, 2011
    I never had one bad thing to say about DA2. I loved every minute of it. I've seen a lot of complaints about the re-use of caves and dungeons and what-not, but that doesn't bother me a bit. Graphics don't bother me a bit either. I do believe the graphics have improved from Origins, but in no way does graphics make a game. For me it's story and characters, and I loved both aspects inI never had one bad thing to say about DA2. I loved every minute of it. I've seen a lot of complaints about the re-use of caves and dungeons and what-not, but that doesn't bother me a bit. Graphics don't bother me a bit either. I do believe the graphics have improved from Origins, but in no way does graphics make a game. For me it's story and characters, and I loved both aspects in this game. I've bought all DLC so far, and I can't wait to see what happens in DA3. Expand
  70. Feb 24, 2012
    I was expecting something akin to Mass Effect in Medieval times. The only reason I bought it was because I had finished ME1 and ME2. I had not played Origins yet. In the end I found it fantastic, I had come to love a handful of the characters and grew especially attached to my style of playing, bring up the difficulty and you actually have use some strategy to win. No doubt they tried toI was expecting something akin to Mass Effect in Medieval times. The only reason I bought it was because I had finished ME1 and ME2. I had not played Origins yet. In the end I found it fantastic, I had come to love a handful of the characters and grew especially attached to my style of playing, bring up the difficulty and you actually have use some strategy to win. No doubt they tried to cut costs with environments. I loved it so much I bought Dragon Age Origins Ultimate edition, which was much more pure RPG. In the end if you've played Mass Effect you should get this game Expand
  71. Apr 3, 2012
    While I found that it clearly does not live up to its predecessor or other BioWare titles, I still thoroughly enjoyed the game while I played it. I liked the gameplay and combat, while it's hard for me to say whether it is an improvement or downgrade from Origins, it is certainly different. The scope of the story is quite limited (most of the game takes place in the same general location)While I found that it clearly does not live up to its predecessor or other BioWare titles, I still thoroughly enjoyed the game while I played it. I liked the gameplay and combat, while it's hard for me to say whether it is an improvement or downgrade from Origins, it is certainly different. The scope of the story is quite limited (most of the game takes place in the same general location) and it certainly does not have the epic feel that you may expect. While on a smaller scale than usual, the story is still great. The party dynamic and character interactions make up the strongest parts of the game and in that aspect keeps it on par with most of BioWare's other works. All in all, of the nine BioWare games that I've played, I would rank this one as #8, however it remains quite enjoyable in my opinion. Expand
  72. Jun 13, 2012
    Sure, the game is more mainstreamed and its a little easier. Boo Hoo. It is still fun and entertaining. The characters have depth and the voice acting is good. The story is weaker than the first but it is still good and entertaining.
  73. Jan 23, 2013
    Every time I play this game, at some point I can't help but imagine an EA exec telling a group of programmers at Bioware that there should be fighting at least once every 4 minutes and 30 seconds in this game. The battles, while fun, are often meaningless and repetitive, which is probably my biggest gripe with Dragon Age 2. This is a good game, however. The characters and setting were wellEvery time I play this game, at some point I can't help but imagine an EA exec telling a group of programmers at Bioware that there should be fighting at least once every 4 minutes and 30 seconds in this game. The battles, while fun, are often meaningless and repetitive, which is probably my biggest gripe with Dragon Age 2. This is a good game, however. The characters and setting were well executed and the RPG elements are still left in touch from the first game in the series. While there is definitely some lazy level-design, most of the game is more polished than the first Dragon Age. That said, I think EA has to stop promoting generic gameplay as an attempt to reach out to a broad consumer base. It didn't work in Crysis 2 and Dead Space, and it doesn't work well in this game either. The sales of those first two games and the current price of EA stock should be a wake up call: EA should let its developers get funky and stop trying to copy Activision's business model, cuz its just not working. Expand
  74. Jan 25, 2013
    Quite possibly my favourite Bioware RPG of all time. The framed narrative, the measured pace of the development of Kirkwall as you interact with it and the room it provides your NPC companions to grow in all cannot be recommended enough. Yes it has a few problems with the end narrative being pretty firmly on rails, and re-use of environments so if you think these things are going to be aQuite possibly my favourite Bioware RPG of all time. The framed narrative, the measured pace of the development of Kirkwall as you interact with it and the room it provides your NPC companions to grow in all cannot be recommended enough. Yes it has a few problems with the end narrative being pretty firmly on rails, and re-use of environments so if you think these things are going to be a problems I will see the game is not for you. Likewise if coming to it from an endless Dungeon Crawling D&D background, and just want to play more of the endless brownfest of Dragon Age:Origins then this sequel is set to disappoint. If However you are more of a Story based gamer, who has always felt that Bioware sells itself short on the NPC and narrative side of things prepare for a much improved and suprisingly enjoyable game.

In a nutshell if your favourite tabletop RPG is D&D 3.5 stick with DA:Origins, if it is Exalted play Dragon Age 2.
  75. May 12, 2013
    After hearing opinions and reading reviews, I'm convinced most people who despise this game do it for one reason only it is not Dragon Age: Origins. They try to justify their hatred for the game by blowing minimal flaws out of proportion. Here is my opinion.

Dragon Age 2 has amazing combat. It is all subjective, and many would prefer the MMO-reminiscent auto attacking and occasional move selecting layout, but I highly prefer this more engaging, action-RPG "button mashing" style. The attribute trees have been cleaned up, the 3 classes now all have defined options and roles.

The characters in this game are not shallow. I do get tired of listening to them all whine about their pasts and their personalities, but just because they are annoying does not mean they are weak. Most notably, Anders and Isabela have extreme character development depending on how your relationship with them is.

And, yes, just to get it out of the way, the game has flaws. They overuse dungeons like there is no tomorrow, the NPCs eyes are unreasonably bright, the overall graphics are lackluster (but highly improved from Origins,) everyone has the same outfits and looks the same, the story is arguably weaker (depending on your tastes, I thought it was weaker,) and of course we were all led to believe Flemeth would play an important role in the beginning but she never showed up after the first act.

The flaws are existent, but they are not deal breakers and they are not the meat-and-bones of the game. The combat is strong, the story is solid and the characters aren't a bunch of walking cliches. This is a GOOD game, it's just not Origins.
  76. Nov 11, 2013
    I must be the only person in the world who preferred this game to dragon age 1, the game play was more immersive and the story-line was just plain better than the all to common line of the previous, whilst not so grand in scale the intricacies of this story were a cut above. If I were to criticise it in any way it would simply be that it is a lot easier than the first. If you enjoyedI must be the only person in the world who preferred this game to dragon age 1, the game play was more immersive and the story-line was just plain better than the all to common line of the previous, whilst not so grand in scale the intricacies of this story were a cut above. If I were to criticise it in any way it would simply be that it is a lot easier than the first. If you enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur or dragons dogma then this game is definitely worth your time. Expand
  77. Jun 11, 2013
    8. Not a 10. Not a 9. 8. Just saying so that y'all who loved Origins so much don't think I'm just gaga about the game. About Origins. I give it a 4 at best. I don't see why everyone liked it so much. Sure, you have your die hard RPGrs who will love just about anything. But really, why didn't Origins pass off into obscurity? The only reason I can think of is that there weren't8. Not a 10. Not a 9. 8. Just saying so that y'all who loved Origins so much don't think I'm just gaga about the game. About Origins. I give it a 4 at best. I don't see why everyone liked it so much. Sure, you have your die hard RPGrs who will love just about anything. But really, why didn't Origins pass off into obscurity? The only reason I can think of is that there weren't enough other RPGs at the time of its release and that it had the stamp "BioWare" on it. Barring those two things I don't see how Origins ever made it off the shelves. Expand
  78. Jan 13, 2015
    Some how I managed to skip this game when it came out probably, playing some MMO or something. But played through Inquisition and seem to be missing some key story points so I bought this and have been working my way through it. It is a great story with a good amount of dialog. The game play is old school and takes a minute to fall back into that old mod but once you get there and immerseSome how I managed to skip this game when it came out probably, playing some MMO or something. But played through Inquisition and seem to be missing some key story points so I bought this and have been working my way through it. It is a great story with a good amount of dialog. The game play is old school and takes a minute to fall back into that old mod but once you get there and immerse into you feel right at home.
    Not being able to jump has been my biggest problem the space bar is the pause button on this one and the jump button on the other. I do play on PC and id use a graphic enhancer to upgrade it a little.
    It does offer a lot more challenging combat than Inquisition.
    Worth the time to go back and play if you haven't.
  79. Jun 17, 2015
    This game is a very good RPG, have many characters very interesting and the desitions can change a lot the course of the game, very good than DAO, no all RPG are about open world but even whiout that can make you feel you are part of the history line
  80. Oct 9, 2013
    Well you guys, I loved it. The characters, music and setting were all spot on. My only qualms about it was that it didn't develop much in the lore, because obviously the first Dragon Age was the first game and introduced a whole new world of fantasy to me as well as only being able to choose the one race to play as. The combat was a vast improvement where attacks felt more powerful andWell you guys, I loved it. The characters, music and setting were all spot on. My only qualms about it was that it didn't develop much in the lore, because obviously the first Dragon Age was the first game and introduced a whole new world of fantasy to me as well as only being able to choose the one race to play as. The combat was a vast improvement where attacks felt more powerful and the skill tree was much more tightly focused with less useless "filler" spells. I think the only reason people hated this is because Bioware took the game in a different direction and focused on the one city and a genuinely unique story this time around instead of the clich├ęd "evil horde, one saviour to stop it" plot. PC gamers don't like change, which is why new things bomb. Dragon Age 2 actually put me in mind of Planescape in many regards since it's setting revolves around the one central hub, which is the city of Kirkwall, and a lot of the enjoyment from the game stems from your companions, all of whom were excellent in DA2 and easily the equal to, if not superior to those seen in Origins. Even Anders was given a much needed overhaul so he's not just an Alistair clone this time around. Expand
  81. Dec 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All right fakers, enough, I'm sick and tired of this. Every review is the same and most have you only wrote one review. this is also the same with DMC. Dragon age two is amazing. I like the sense of style with the characters and even hawke. It sucks how he acts like sheperd but he's still a fun characters. the moves are excuted flawlessly for each class i have tested and the game provides challenges. The quest line is pretty interesting and varric's story telling is pretty funny. This game is great especially when you import a complete dragon age orgin's story which includes DLC. I especially liked the free day one dlc, the black emporium. This game should be looked by proffesinoal reviewers, not wannabes who get their fix off ruining good games. Expand
  82. Feb 6, 2014
    Gameplay is where DAII was the weakest, though the Xbox version felt more RPG-y than the PC version. I never finished it on Xbox, though as far as I got, it wasn't glitchy or anything, just not the best combat system. This deserves more love than it gets.
  83. Nov 6, 2013
    I'll be honest, this is my favourite game game of all time. The combat is a huge step up and the story is extremely compelling, people need to stop treating this game like its a horrible game just because you like your precious dragon age origins so much and this game wasn't 100% the same
  84. Jan 4, 2014
    This game is an example of how great an RPG can get. The character creation is extensive and how you can integrate what you did in DA Origins makes me want all other RPG's to have that feature. The graphics are good and the world is well made and the quests are well made. Definitely my 2nd favorite RPG trailing only the mighty Skyrim. My only problem is the game might seem confusing untilThis game is an example of how great an RPG can get. The character creation is extensive and how you can integrate what you did in DA Origins makes me want all other RPG's to have that feature. The graphics are good and the world is well made and the quests are well made. Definitely my 2nd favorite RPG trailing only the mighty Skyrim. My only problem is the game might seem confusing until you play the game for a few hours and you get the hang of it. Definitely recommend it for all who love The Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect, or lovers of a well made RPG. Expand

1. Aug 3, 2011
    I'll give Bioware points for trying to do something different in their world, but they really did have it right the first time in terms of character building and the scope of the story.
  2. May 1, 2011
    Faulty game mechanics and disappointing maps, combat scenarios and storyline direction aside, Dragon Age II still has a surprising amount of intrigue hidden beneath the blemishes. The depth of character relationships, as well as the complex nature of the world of the Dragon Age franchise are a savior to a game that would otherwise forever be remembered by its mistakes.
  3. Apr 22, 2011
    Above all, it seems like Dragon Age II is an experiment. If you're a fan of the first game and expect a direct continuation, either in story or mechanics, you'll be disappointed. If you're not willing to put up with some rough edges and some mechanics that don't quite work as intended, you'll end up having a hard time. But if you're going for a game that has some of the best storytelling in RPGs in a while, or you're looking for a BioWare RPG to tide yourself over until Mass Effect 3, you won't do much better right now than Dragon Age II.