7.7

1. AdamB.
    May 7, 2007
    The most fun I've had on the 360 to date. Great music and graphics, laughable yet fitting voice acting and story, easy to pick up and play, lots of collectables and great 2-player co-op. It reminds me of Sega's Alien Front Online for Dreamcast; imagine Halo if it were a hack-and-slash b-movie arcade game. It starts out a bit generic and slow, but it quickly gets frantic and The most fun I've had on the 360 to date. Great music and graphics, laughable yet fitting voice acting and story, easy to pick up and play, lots of collectables and great 2-player co-op. It reminds me of Sega's Alien Front Online for Dreamcast; imagine Halo if it were a hack-and-slash b-movie arcade game. It starts out a bit generic and slow, but it quickly gets frantic and unique. This will surely end up being a cult classic. Put on a custom epic soundtrack like something from E.S. Posthumus or even the song O Fortuna for an even crazier feel. Expand
  2. AdrianH
    Apr 5, 2008
    I originally bought this game out of a bargain bin for $20 because I wanted something with local Co-op to play with my brother. Now, more than 60 hours of playtime later, I'm still having an absolute blast. This game probably isn't for everyone - it's very much an old school game with new school graphics. Simplistic to a fault and low budget and campy in all aspects, I I originally bought this game out of a bargain bin for $20 because I wanted something with local Co-op to play with my brother. Now, more than 60 hours of playtime later, I'm still having an absolute blast. This game probably isn't for everyone - it's very much an old school game with new school graphics. Simplistic to a fault and low budget and campy in all aspects, I think many people will play 3 levels at Normal difficulty and think it's a second-rate shooter. But the more you play, the bigger the bug swarms and the more ridiculous upgrades to your weapons, things just get CRAZY. There is absolutely nothing better than taking out a dozen bugs with one rocket (along with an entire city block) and watch the explosion propel them a mile away. Expand
  3. May 18, 2011
    One of the best budget titles you're likely to find. This, together with its predecessor (Ps2) are some of the most fun co-op third-person shooting action you'll experience anywhere.

Do not be fooled by the game's [seemingly] low production values; it has it where it counts -- massive, ten story high monsters, screen so packed with enemies the 360 chungs, scores of weapons to mix and match, lol-worthy dialogue and set pieces, almost limitless replay value due to the the 'farming' mechanic the game engenders and the ridiculous difficulty the game can be set to... This game arguably yields more bang for your buck than any other game relative to price out there.

Unless you're outright not into third-person shooters or Japanese style Godzilla battles / Mars Attacks type alien invasion themes or immeasurably fun couch co-op play (*split screen only; no online mutiplayer), then EDF for the 360 is a must have.

E.D.F. 2017 is one of the few games of this generation that will be worth coming back for in years to come... and that's saying something given how throw-away most of the titles are in this era of 'junk food gaming'.

(NB: The game would get a perfect score from me other than the fact the 'Pale Wing' class from the Ps2 predecessor was strangely omitted for this iteration. So 9 it is).
  4. Aug 23, 2013
    An early 360 game, it looks more like a dreamcast game and some of the control choices make me wonder if it was originally intended for that platform. The voice acting is catastrophically bad and the story makes little sense. The controls are a baffling when it comes to the vehicles and the weapons and unlocks are just on this side of random.

And the amount of belief you need to

And the amount of belief you need to suspend? Let's just say that there are points where your single guy in body armor is being hit by a hail of shots from a dozen 50 foot robots with plasma cannons while you are shooting at them with a shotgun.

The maps are bland and reused repeatedly, the creatures and enemies have an AI that belongs in Galaga...

....And the game is entirely more fun than it deserves to be. There is a reason why this game can be found used for $60 in some areas. It is seriously fun, in every way. Some of the best moments are having to sprint backwards while you are throwing nuclear hand grenades that will kill you if you weren't sprinting backwards.
  5. Mar 23, 2012
    Ok, ok, ok, Earth Force Defense can be repetitive, but is funny and entertaining, is an amazing game, with the sequel (Insect Armageddon) can be better. But this game is good.

It's a unique, well-realized action game that's like nothing else on the 360. If "EDF2" didn't exist, we'd like it even more.
  2. A corny, geeky dream come true that's destined to be an underground classic.
    It doesn't hold a candle to some of the more technically savvy games on Xbox 360 and that may be more than ample reason to give this one a pass depending upon your tastes. For good mindless shooting, this game delivers.