6.6

1. Feb 6, 2014
    What a disappointment, but what should I expect from Lionhead nowadays anyways? I loved the original Fable Lost Chapters. It's one of the best games ever made. However this is a lazy attempt at a Remake. You think they would put more time into remaking the best thing they ever created. Reasons why its good. Background Art Style - The background art is higher resolution and looks better. They managed to keep the unique style of the background.

DLC - It seems the main reason to buy this is hoping theyll come out with new anything. We only get some new clothes to roleplay with or whatever, but it costs around $15 extra. Maybe theyll add new places or something, probably not though.

Music and sound effects werent touched - thank god they didnt mess up the sound like they did the art

The reasons why its bad.

Art Style for everything but the Background- They just added more polygons and texture space, which dont equal better graphics. They completely flew over the original designs and the characters no longer have the unique touch the original had. They blew over the ui as well. It was much more bold and engaging, now its thin and weak looking. I just dont understand how the artists could just blow right over the unique style and have the scary face children and poor looking hair styles pass. Another example of a specific art scew up, the Normal hair style specifically shows on the card that it has small strands of hair in the front, but they made him have fat strands of hair over his face, so you cant even see his face and he looks like an emo.

Lighting - The original had bright lighting that went with the fantasy world. This game is dark and gray looking. Its like im wandering around in horribly lit clay world.

They Fixed Nothing! - All of the glitches and abuses are still in the game. They had 10 years to figure out what was wrong with the last game and fix it. All they did was create new art and do nothing else. The animation and controls are still choppy if not worse then the xbox version. They couldnt even allow us to choose which books to give the librarian, he still chooses random books and you have to go through hoops to get him to choose the ones you want.

They could have done so much more - They should have spent more time on this and just charge the full $60. They could have added features from the last games, like coop (play as a mercenary or your hero perhaps) or leaderboards for quests scores, maybe more branches for certain quests, a 5th level for spells... anything! They could have fixed the glitches that were there 10 years ago. It's not like they needed to add a whole new town, just some new side quests or any small addons. A lot of people playing fable now, hadnt played this on the xbox so they could have just released this like a new game and recreate the experience. If their target market was the old players, did they really think this lazy job would pass? They act like achievements matter... no one cares about your all new achievements... achievements are a basic thing in every game now.

So basically, just buy the old Fable The Lost Chapters for the xbox. It has better looking art even though its lower resolution. All you gain from this game is the dlc costumes which basically make this a $60 game anyways... and you can talk to your friends in a party since this is an xbox 360 game (has nothing to do with the actual game). This is just a small summary of what I could remember while playing this and its late so I cant go over everything they did wrong.
  2. Feb 4, 2014
    The fact that Fable one has held its own all of these years is amazing. All they did with this one is fix the controls and update the graphics. So while I can't give it a ten because it is only a slightly updated re-release, and not on fable 3's engine I might add, it won't get a ten. The classic fable gameplay is still fun, and it does merit a positive review.
  3. Feb 6, 2014
    Whats there to say? One of the best games of all time updated with fantastic modern graphics.

If you liked the original you will enjoy it again. If you havent played the original you're in for a treat.
  4. Feb 5, 2014
    Fable Anniversary is what you expect from a game like this

Pros:Everything that was good on the Original Xbox is still good here

Cons:It feels like Lionhead or Microsoft is making an unnecessery cash grab, some bugs that you can notice after a few minutes or hours of playing

Recommendation:Fans of the Original Fable and any RPG
  5. Feb 4, 2014
    When reviewing a game like Fable Anniversary, there's a tendency to try and review it as a brand new game. However, that'd be a bit of a misnomer as far as reviews go. The broader context of the game has to be kept in mind. There's so many elements that, despite being dated by today's standards, are responsible for the original Fable game being the success that it was. I think it was wise that the team took care in not tampering with the formula of the original. There's been some visual overhauls, the sound seems to have been reworked as well, and the menu system and controls have been updated accordingly. In general, I feel that Fable Anniversary does exactly what I've always wanted a Fable remake to do: don't mess the original game up but still make it look and sound amazing and maybe throw a few new features in for good measure. By that standard, this game has really exceeded my expectations. I'm only three or fours hours into the game, but having played the original game like crazy I can already tell that they've really hit that fine balance between staying authentic to the original while still bringing the game into the modern age. This is pretty much everything I wanted in a Fable remake. Expand
  6. Feb 4, 2014
    I bet the negatives are no other than the Sony fanboys themselves doing this. For those who never got to play lost chapters and loved the 1st fable, i recommend getting this game.
  7. Feb 5, 2014
    Fable being a guilty pleasure, and one of the few decent exclusives for XBOX, I was quite excited hearing about the remastering of the original Fable. Easily what I considered pre-order worthy. After playing a few hours, I'm having difficulty discerning issues with the Anniversary edition, that are shared with the original XBOX release.

Visually, the game is very hit and miss. The
    updated visuals are of course welcomed, though Fable Anniversary suffers from some painfully blurry textures at times, early-gen models, and laughable animations. It's literally a new coat of a paint, in the most literal of senses. Thankfully, the iconic look of the franchise is still intact. The frame rate hovers around 30fps, and overall performs to expectation.

A few very minor audio bugs aside, the original voice acting and music remain in place, and still shine as much as it did back during the original release.

One change that comes off as very hit/miss, would be the controls. The scheme, by default, is more simplistic if your main preference in combat is melee. Locking on for ranged/magic attacks can be down-right disastrous, due to the aspect of friendly fire. Attempting to toss some fire at a goblin, can result in burning a villagers face off instead (Only a problem if you're trying to be the "good" hero)

Changes aside, it's the same Fable you either loved, hated, or thought was just "ok". If you like the new set-dressing, and enjoyed the original, it's certainly worth a buy. Not the cleanest HD remake on the market by any stretch, but an enjoyable addition to the franchise, and a fine western RPG for the XBOX.
  8. Feb 5, 2014
    Despite its small bugs, this is exactly what I wanted from this game. A nice clean remake of the original. It looks very nice, and is a great nostalgia trip for anyone who has played Fable on original Xbox. That guild music, chills.
  9. Feb 9, 2014
    A HD remake that just oozes fan service. This is now the definitive version because of the updates, changes and graphical overhaul. A must play for fans of the original and fans of Fable 2 and 3. This is the game that started it all and is, to this date, the best in the series. Buy it now, you chicken chasers!
  10. Feb 15, 2014
    Beware! This game freezes Xboxes. I tried 8 times to play it, and every time it locked up my Xbox after about one minute of play. I took it back to the store for a refund.

The store said I was the fifth person to do so.

In the 60 seconds in which I played before my Xbox froze, the framerate of the game was horrid and made me dizzy.

BUY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
  11. Feb 4, 2014
    Classic Fable. If you loved Lost Chapters, then this is for you. It's the remake that the series deserves, and it's hours of enjoyment from beginning to end. if you're coming into the series for the first time, then this is a great place to start.
  12. Feb 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Retrace your footsteps through your hero’s first adventures in Albion, ten years later, in this nostalgic adventure where everything is as it seems and as you remember it, because literally nothing has changed. It’s one of those ‘for better or worse’ things…

Graphics: There are a few new looks, but for the most part everything is the same as it was, just given a lot better lighting and graphical update. Can’t complain about that, except when it lags or experiences other animation related issues.

Sound: It’s the same old soundtrack, which is one of the things that can’t be ruined or marred in any way, as it works elegantly and perfectly to match the tone of specific story moments each and every time.

Playability: The option to utilize several different control schemes is a wise choice to give players, as it offers the opportunity to play the game as it was originally intended, as well as how Fable 2 and 3 were meant to be played. Take the time to play once with both control schemes in order to ascertain which you like the most, and which works the best for you.

Entertainment: It isn’t the greatest game, and is far from the greatest even in the series, but it also is a faithful update of the original, and far from the worst in the series- yes, I am looking at the poor Kinect titles which can barely be counted as “a part of the series” even if they are associated by name.

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 7.0
  13. Feb 20, 2014
    I have played all the Fable games and was happy this one was being released with achievements. The achievements make the game fun and a few will make you laugh. Some pop while progressing through the game, but some you have to go off the game track to discover. I, personally, didn't notice any difference in graphics between this game and the games that came out around the time of it's original release. Even though they say it's a HD update, I don't see a difference and it's not comparable to Fable 3, so if the update in graphics are your main draw - pass it by. I hope this release is able to fund the next NEW Fable release. I love Openworld games and we need as many as we can get! Expand
  14. Feb 8, 2014
    It comes down to this: This is Fable: The Lost Chapters, with reworked menus and improved graphics. If you liked Fable: The Lost Chapters, you'll like this, no question. If you're expecting a dramatic reworking of the original experience however, you will be disappointed. Fable Anniversary is comparable to Halo CE Anniversary in that it's totally faithful. It plays exactly the same. It just looks better.

There are some small texture pop-in issues, some sound crackling, I've had it crash once or twice, but overall it isn't dramatically sub-par. It could use some patches. That said, it looks dramatically better than, say, Fable 2, and the fact that it was released on 8 year old hardware means they're pushing all kinds of barriers to even get it running in the first place.

Overall, It's a good port. Small technical issues aside, if you liked Fable: The Lost Chapters, you'll appreciate this. Don't expect a whole new game - it's what you're used to with a new lick of paint. Final Score: 7.6/10
  15. Feb 9, 2014
    Love the game. So much fun, one of the best action rpgs I've ever played. However... this is a technical disaster. Screen tears, frame rate drops, constant freezing(around 10 within a week of playing) and other various bugs(infinity spawning bad guys) make it really tough to recommend.
  16. Feb 16, 2014
    A remake of a classic Xbox game that brings to light one of the best things that a company can do when you have an award winning game...bring it back better. While I am not happy with the price tag I am happy with the game. I think the game could of had some things added to it to make it unique and make players want to do it...which might happen as dlc but overall this game take a classic and brings it into the new age. Expand
  17. Feb 21, 2014
    I really enjoyed playing this game all the way through. I just finished 100% it and I still feel like i need to keep playing. Fable was one of the first games I ever played on the Xbox and it still feels like it holds up. I played TLC about 3 years ago and still had a blast, the fact that i got to play it again after getting a huge graphical and practical (speaking of the former menu and save system from before) upgrade made me never want to stop. It has its shortcomings, but what game from 10 years ago wouldn't? Expand
  18. Feb 4, 2014
    Being a long time fan of the series I have been put off in recent years but now I am quite happy about this remake of my personal favorite game in the series. The only problem I have found so far is a technical issue. That being that the graphics tend to be choppy when you are moving throughout an area. It seems that the camera or the area does not load fast enough to keep up with a running character. Expand
  19. Mar 22, 2014
    With updated graphics, achievements, the bonus "Lost Chapters" content, and improvements to the controls and save system, this is arguably the new best way to experience the first Fable game. Things like fishing and combat haven't aged the best, and a few irritating glitches are still around, but they don't change the fact that this is one RPG that still holds up well after all these years. I have to give special praise to the updated graphics, because they make the game look on par with most modern games. If you have not experienced Fable yet, or are just looking for an excuse to revisit it, this "Anniversary" edition is a great way to do so. I give it an 8.8/10-Great. Expand
  20. Feb 10, 2014
    As a disclaimer I finished the game and got all but one achievement locked for it.so I did it all. And the reason for the one achievement is locked is the reason for mediocre score as in simple terms - this games was rushed out, not tested, not even redesigned in smaller bits (beside the UI). They didn't even bother to fix the exploits and bugs from original fable!
    So if in original fable
    you were annoyed that your summoned wasp doesn't attack anything, ever, that is still here! If you were annoyed by very clunky and barely working tavern mini-games, they are still there (and required for one achievement). That and plethora of original, and some new, bugs. It also suffers from about as bad loading screens as the original ones (even though the devs claimed that they removed most of them).
    But on bright side the good stuff is still here too, completely untouched so it is a very nice game.

But what is so annoying is that if they put more time into it, instead of turning it into an obvious "rush and cash", they would create something of an epic proportion that would drag a lot of new players into it. But as it is - it's a mediocre game at best, and only thing dragging it's score up would be the nostalgia attached and quite good story.
  21. Jun 15, 2014
    This is the first, and probably best, of the Fable series. Unfortunately there are also lots of bugs and a few poor design issues. It is not simply a matter of recompiling code to bring it up to X360. The system is different than the original Xbox and some adjustments are needed but it doesn't appear that the devs bothered to change anything other than update the graphics. The most obvious place this occurs is with the pub games. Most are timed and the X360 controls aren't quick enough to handle the tight timing requirements. You basically have to resort to cheating to win them. The card pair games is pretty much random as to whether you can win or not because the devs didn't seem to bother play testing it first. The coin golf games use physics that is inconsistent even within strokes of a single game. Overall the pub games didn't transition well and the game suffers because of it.

There are larger bugs as well. Later in the game it would start to freeze when multiple spell effect sounds occurred at the same time. This could happen within minutes of starting the game or after an hour. A hard reset of the system was required.

Yet another issue was with the graphics. In the coin golf games you had to alter your view angle otherwise you'd be looking at the surface of a glass. But this extended beyond the pub games into the world as well. On several occasions people were walking sideways through the world.

If you've never played Fable on Xbox or PC then this is a pretty good game but accept the fact that the devs put minimal effort into it to port it to X360 while they work on the next game in the series.
  22. Mar 21, 2014
    Inferior to the regular xbox version in look and feel, the only notable upgrades to this game are the audio and the achievements. This is obviously a money grab from a company with little to no recent successes, and game refreshes like this are unacceptable. It is glitchy, oddly shaded, and the cut scenes look horrible.
    The game remains an excellent one in spite of the cheap spit and
    polish job attempted and if you have never played Fable give it a whirl. If, however, you have the original Fable Lost Chapters, just put that in instead. Bad form LionHead, next time you won't fool me so easily. Expand
  23. Feb 6, 2014
    No game should be re-made if it hinders nostalgia, yet sadly Lionhead fail to grasp this. If Lionhead have learned anything in game design the last decade it certainly doesn't show in this release, with all of the fundamental gameplay flaws still remaining in Fable Anniversary. Somehow there are more problems in this game than previously with a choppy framerate and audio glitches adding to the list. Horrible locking systems in combat and constant loading screens are prehistoric feautures which, whilst fine in 2004, do not hold up today. Whilst some argue that it is wrong to judge this as a new game, if this line of argument is taken, then you are paying $60 for a fresh coat of paint. Whilst this may be ok for games that are flawless, this game is littered with bad design, and as such exacerbates it's weaknesses. If this is not a new game, then you may as well all save your money, load the original xbox game and enjoy the good memories. You won't have to pay acent nor think about how Lionhead truly missed an opportunity to add to our great memories. Expand
  24. Jul 25, 2014
    The game is fun,it brings the old one with improvements,but the voice acting in this game is really really awful but it still a great game like the old one is but i think the old one is still better.
  25. Feb 12, 2014
    As a remaster of the original game Fable Anniversary does a good job of updating the graphics while retaining the charm of the original game. However while it retains the charm of the original it also carries its faults such as the annoying targeting system.

Fable Anniversary also adds more problems in the form of inconsistent frame rates and in my first (of many) play-through's I had
    the game freeze on me three times the save system however limits this issue to a mere annoyance. The loading times are longer than I would have expected but not terrible.

It does however add achievements, a more manageable save system and a choice between the original control scheme and one more suited to players of Fable 2/3.

To fans of the original game who have Fable TLC there isn't much of a reason to upgrade to this version beyond the Achievements and updated graphics.

The inclusion of more quests, expressions,armor etc would have been nice and given fans more of a reason to pick this up as it stands armour/weapon packs are available in the form of paid dlc.

To those who have never played Fable and don't mind outdated graphics the original is much cheaper from Steam. Either way I recommend either Fable TLC or Fable Anniversary to anyone with an interest in rpg's. The animations may not have aged well but it is still a brilliant game and one of the more memorable and charming RPG's I have played.
  26. Mar 24, 2014
    Meh, it's a faithful remake of one of my guilty pleasures. It's literally Fable: The Lost Chapters with improved Visuals. Everything else (good & bad) is still the same. And I like it that way.
  27. Apr 24, 2014
    a very good remake that is both faithful to the original contents and improves on a number of weak spots in the original. great to play for old and new fans of the series alike.
  28. May 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm A Big Fan Of The "Fable" Series And When I Heard That Fable 1 Was Getting Ported To The Xbox 360 I Was Pumped And It Didn't Disappoint

The Story:You Play As "Chickenchaser" It's You're Sisters Birthday And You Need To Get Her A Present After Doing That Bandits Raid The Village Of Oakvale Then You Are Saved By Mace And You Train At An Academy To Become The Next Hero Of Albion I Would Talk More But It Would Be Too Long So Overall It's Good

Gameplay The Gameplay Is Very Good There Are Different Type Of Weapons Like Crossbow,Regular Bow,Sword,Frying Pan,ETC And Different Type Of Magic Like Lightning,Fire,ETC
    And There's Different Side Quest's And Activities Also Augments For You're Weapon

Graphics Are Bright And Colorful Also The Soundtrack Is Good As Well Same For Voice Acting

Final Verdict Story 90/100

Gameplay 95/100

Graphics 99/100

Voice Acting 89/100

Jack Of Blades 100/100

Final Verdict 95/100

BTW JACK OF BLADES IS AWESOME
  29. Jul 22, 2014
    I would have given this a 7 out of 10 but the amount of times the game completely crashes is ridiculous, almost once an hour. When it does freeze up the only way to get out of it is to power cycle the Xbox. When it doesn't crash though it's great to see what the original fable was about. Personally I prefer Fable 2 and 3.
  30. Aug 14, 2014
    One thing I really enjoyed about Fable was the humour. Some of the comments from the people, and living things, that you meet along the way will have you laughing. That, coupled with the open world, relatively free roaming feel of the game are two reasons why it merits a 7. The relatively high number of crashes is a problem, and the game is not very challenging to progress through. But still an enjoyable game! Expand

1. Jun 5, 2014
    Despite its issues, Fable Anniversary is the best way for players to experience the original Fable. Just keep in mind that action RPGs have a come a very long way since then.
  2. May 11, 2014
    One of Molyneux's actual games, and worth remastering. [March 2014]
    Works rather well even after all these years, yet there are still some technical irks that shouldn't be there at all. [Issue #239]