Fracture Xbox 360

6.2

1. Sep 20, 2012
    Short: The ideas were sound, but the execution was sub-par at best. I couldn't bring myself to play past the first two missions. Rent it at your own risk.

Long: Terrain deformation took center stage in this sci-fi shooter, where you were put in very open environments (conveniently made of dirt, I might add,) and were forced to morph your own cover. However, I found quite quickly that the enemies did not, in fact, care that you were sculpting masterpieces into the terrain with your magical pulsating beams, and decided to instead charge at you with lethal accuracy, all while you are desperately searching for ammunition to put into the pockets that your suit's designers seem to have forgotten.

If you've ever played Lost Planet, this game is a direct recreation of it. Only this time, instead of giant swarms of monsters, hulking behemoth bosses, varied level design, and the multitude of giant, pilotable mechs, you get the side dish of human infantry.

Every enemy carries with them the ability to destroy the player, making Fracture frustratingly difficult to play. I encountered one group of enemies that was completely invulnerably, save headshots, who were all toting shotguns, no less. When they charged, they rolled over me. Many times. Without variance. The game was filled with these cheap moments that simply reflected poor design.

The camera controls are what to be expected from a third person shooter, but it feels as though it's a bit static for the action presented. (Mass Effect 2 nailed the third person camera, IMO).

I ultimately discovered that once I found 10 of those purple data modules and unlocked the test area, the game had capped out. You will undoubtedly have much more fun in that area than most likely the rest of the campaign combined. Multiplayer was unavailable to me simply because there is NO ONE PLAYING. Servers shut down, perhaps?
  2. KevinG
    Apr 7, 2009
    I have never played a game as bad as this. It's pure torture. The stupid wanna be Star Wars music drives me insane with the same damn thing playing over and over again the whole game! The levels are uninspired and the physics game play is just plain stupid and pointless. And don't even get me started on the hardcore difficulty. I don't care what your made of, it's I have never played a game as bad as this. It's pure torture. The stupid wanna be Star Wars music drives me insane with the same damn thing playing over and over again the whole game! The levels are uninspired and the physics game play is just plain stupid and pointless. And don't even get me started on the hardcore difficulty. I don't care what your made of, it's plain stupid to take 5 head shots on average to die. The game is full of bugs and glitches, and even occasionally corrupted checkpoints that won't load. It's also the only game that I have ever heard the soundtrack skip and freeze while playing. Then you have the cut scenes that skip and glitch out and you can't even watch them without the game freezing. This game should have never been given the green light, let alone been released and sold to the public. Expand
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    Fracture is one of the most uninspired, generic, poorly designed, intellectually insulting, glorified tech demos of a game I\'ve ever played. Take it for what it's worth, I've only finished the tutorial level and the first level after that but already I'm insulted enough by how dull and poor some of the design choices in this game are that I feel I can make an early decision about theFracture is one of the most uninspired, generic, poorly designed, intellectually insulting, glorified tech demos of a game I\'ve ever played. Take it for what it's worth, I've only finished the tutorial level and the first level after that but already I'm insulted enough by how dull and poor some of the design choices in this game are that I feel I can make an early decision about the overall quality of this game. I've yet to play the multiplayer because and I don't I ever will because I'm playing 3 years after it came out. It's a shame a such neat mechanic is so poorly used and forced into one of the most boring and uninteresting Sc-fi shooters I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Do not waste your time playing it, watching it, renting it, forget it exists. Even the terrain altering gimmick alone is not worth 5 minutes of your time. Even though using it is far more entertaining then anything else this game tries to offer. Probably would of been better off as a puzzle game, instead they forced the most generic Sci-fi characters and story you could possibly think of into it. A missed opportunity in more ways in one, indeed. Expand

1. Fracture is an entertaining romp while it lasts
  2. Quotation forthcoming.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Given that its bland combat is little enhanced by the ability to create cover, you suspect that the promises made for the technology have simply dug its own grave. [Dec 2008, p.90]