7.7

1. Sep 20, 2011
    Gears of war 3 is the best in the series by a mile. The multiplayer is great no flaws, and the first game with a way to kill campers. The digger gun! Great graphics on both SP and MP. 4 player co-op and just an all round epic game. While saying epic, I hope they have some plans up there sleeves as it's ashame this is the end for gears. Possible spin offs witch would be great as it's an amazing franchise. The MP is fresh and I just love playing on it, a great action game and one of the best on the 360. Epic should be very proud as this is a top contender for game of the year. That's about all I have to say on it really other then  if your on the fence with this on, just trust me you won't be let down! Expand
  2. Sep 20, 2011
    Unsurprisingly excellent on all fronts.Though there is a feeling of deja vu surrounding this game,it really doesn't matter much as you will be too busy kicking serious butt to care.If you take pure action and add a slice of cheese,you get the magnificent Gears Of War 3.
  3. Sep 20, 2011
    If you're a fan or a newcomer to the Gears Universe, the end of the trilogy has something for everyone. The gameplay is the same tried and true formula that you know and love, but it's even smoother now. The campaign simply seeps epicness from it's very core, with an interesting story that's pleasing yet accessible. The same goes for the multiplayer, which'll feel great to anyone who has played Gears before, and introduces new players well. Those two modes alone would be enough to warrant a high score, but the loads of additional content Epic has added is what makes Gears 3 a nearly flawless game, more than worthy of the proverbial 10 out of 10. Expand
  4. Sep 20, 2011
    By far the best looking and best playing Gears of War thus far. If you are new to the series it is still a great place to start. There is a short video that will catch you up on all the previous games and even fills in some blanks since the last game. The gun play and movement is tighter. Many unlockables, including gun skins, characters and more. My biggest gripe with the game so far is that they have so much DLC on the day of launch. Right now you can buy roughly 30 DLC packs which are nothing more than skin packs for your guns. At $3 a piece it is quite the ripoff. As far as actual in game issues there is little to complain about. I have the same basic gripe as in all Gears of War games. Multiplayer is basically a bunch of shotgunners roadie running through maps. If you can get by that there is lots and lots of fun to be had. Expand
  5. Sep 20, 2011
    Gears of war 3 is the best co-op game ever. It's is better than gears 1 and gears 2. The weapons are cooler, the gfx are better, the story is more in dept and the online multiplayer is actually fun... Gears of War 3 has all this and... ofc the best cutscene of any game ever. Buy this game.
  6. Sep 20, 2011
    Game of the Year on XBOX no doubt about it, the single player is just pure epic and the multiplayer is even better whether you play versus or horde or beast. I am useless with using the xbox controller since I am a PC guy but this game is the only one I have bought for xbox so far this year and it's really the reason why I one an xbox in the first place. Dont miss it, buy an xbox if you have to in order to experience it. Expand
  7. Sep 20, 2011
    Really enjoyable especially if you got friends to play with and multiplayer is very fun. There's not much thats already been said in other reviews so all i can say is its a good end to the series.
  8. Sep 20, 2011
    This game is f*****g amazing! The graphics, story, gameplay, replay-value, multiplayer are all as perfect as perfect can be! I got the epic edition and I don't regret it at all!
  9. Sep 20, 2011
    Only played a few levels so far but it seems great. The cover system and aiming is a lot smoother this time and i cant wait to try out the co-op stuff with friends.
  10. Sep 20, 2011
    Gameplay wise, Its pretty much the same with the exceptions of a few new things here n' there. BUT, it must be noted that this is one of the MOST REFINED games ive ever played! Seriously, its almost bizzare to se such huge hulks move around the battlefield with such grace & fluidity . Story On the other hand is much much better than the previous installments & you actually feel the dread & sorrow that the gears would be feeling.
    Graphics Like always are topnotch.
    A couple of new characters are introduced, but id would have been nice to get a bit more of a backstory on the newcomers. The introduction of lambent enemies really makes you change your playstyle from previous gears as enemies are far more aggressive.
    One Impotrtant thing to note here is that Difficulty levels have been altered significantly. So if u used to play gears on normal difficulty than go with hardcore , cause the game has become just TOO EASY!
    Even in hardcore mode one can at times finish whole levels without shooting a single bullet! Sadly, Insane mode is unlocked only after finishing the campaign :( All in All Its Pretty much what i expected (which is near perfect) , This Game Has Lots of modes and tons of collectibles,skins,gun themes to unlock thus giving it a huge replayibility bonus.
    So... STOP READING THIS AND GET YOUR GEARS 3 COPY ASAP! >:D
  11. Sep 20, 2011
    I bought the first gears a few years back and I didn't really appeal to me back then, so I passed up on the second one all together. I was in the store today really doubting if I would give it another shot after all these years and holy crap. I am glad I did. This is an absolute monster of a game, I played through the first two acts and really had to convince myself to try out the multiplayer as well tonight because otherwise I would've played the campaign till early dawn. Incredible setpiece moments, badass gunfights, amazing dialogue. Really one of the best campaigns I played in the last 2 years. But then it was time to start up the multiplayer and although I rarely play a third-person game online I didn't have any problems at all adjusting to the mechanics of the game and after 2 rounds I was playing top 3 places in my team. kudos to the matchmaking as well, very nicely balanced the teams all the time so the experience is very enjoyable. You have a lot of modes in the regular versus (Team Deathmatch, Warzone (normal deathmatch), execution (instead of killing enemys you must execute them up close and personal) and king of the hill). If you are now to the game, there is an option to play a casual multiplayer witch lets you play witch other "newbies". And further more you have a horde mode (fending of waves of enemy's) and beast mode (horde mode in reverse). And if that's not enough you can play the whole campaign with up to 3 friends in split-screen or in online coop. As you can see that's a whole lot of multiplayer :-) and it's al very smoothly, I encountered not a single lag issue in my first 7 hours of playing. A piece of multiplayer that will grasp you for months I can imagine. So in conclusion. If you're not already a very confirmed hater or just don't care about shooting stuff with gaming's most badass guns then you have no reason at all not to buy this game, really top notch!!!! Expand
  12. Sep 20, 2011
  13. Sep 21, 2011
    From the looks of it, probably the best gears so far. The multiplayer handles great and no more lag or a distinguishable host advantage. Epic also added plenty of; characters, weapon skins, medals, executions, etc. I really don't know how people could complain about this game, they must just hate life or something. Another thing i noticed, was horde. Epic added so much to horde it actually makes it fun to play. As the campaign goes, I haven't gotten too far in it to really tell if it is good or not. This is a must have for all 360 owners. Expand
  14. Sep 21, 2011
    To the people who gave this a "1" and a "0" either didn't play it or are PS3 fanboys. This game is absolutely amazing. Graphics, story, progression, presentation, audio/sfx, did i mention graphics? It's easily THE BEST looking game on X360 to date. A must own, no brainer if you ask me.
  15. Oct 7, 2011
    I have played hundreds and hundreds of hours of Gears of war 1 and 2 and 3 beta. This is easily the best of the 3 hands down. My personal favorite series of this generation finally gets and end and it actually doesn end which is more than I can say for Halo Reach. You will def get your money out of this title. Theres' something for everyone: Campaign, Horde, Beast, VS, Arcade. No matter your gaming preferences there is something to love and a ton of stuff to unlock and have a blast with. Only complaint I have it the Final boss on Insane difficulty is the cheapest boss I've ever played against outside of a fighter. Expand
  16. Sep 21, 2011
    For the haters, this game is made for those who are dedicated to the trilogy of Marcus Fenix and Delta team, considering the characters not being changed is something the fans would die for especially at the end of the trilogy, and if you don't like the story then you should know that Gears is not about story-telling, it's about ass kicking, and if it's to repetative for you, then it shouldn't be for those who love the series, because they would beat the first two games so many times they'd want something new, and that's what Gears 3 is offering for millions of fans out there. For the one considering buying this game, it's all that is a bad-ass Triple A, perfect third person shooter for your entertainment. Expand
  17. Sep 21, 2011
    First of all please ignore any comments made by blackzkeys or dolar as they seriously should not be on this forum if you give a bad review for gears of war. This last title is by far the best of the lot when it comes to campaign and the story has been great from the beginning. Everyone that I have spoken to who played gears has just said good things like "WOW what an action paced game. The look and feel of the game is out of this world" This is all true and the multiplayer is really good and a lot of fun. 4 player co-op WOW , how awesome is that. You just can't put the remote down and I guarantee you will play the game more than once with your friends because it is so exciting and fun to play. There is no flaw in gears and I am sad to hear this is the last of the series.Cliffy B is seriously a genius and I cant wait to see what he will come up with next. Expand
  18. Sep 22, 2011
    This is the king of 3rd person shooters this gen. Nothing compares to it, story, multi player nothing even comes close. All the shortcomings from G1 and 2 have been removed, it is an epic end to the trilogy.
  19. Sep 20, 2011
    Best Gears Yet!!!!! The whole world as you know it is turned upside down and is very interesting as a result. Hope the only negative is the weapon DLC skins
  20. Sep 20, 2011
    One of the best Third Person Shooters i ever played,this franchise is AMAZING,somthing who makes the diference when you are in doubt what console you will buy.Gears of War 3 Finish this Extraordinary Trilogy with Epic moments,Epic Gameplay,Epic Graphics,Epic Action,Epic Games know how to do an Epic Game.
  21. Oct 29, 2011
    Gears of War I: Introduction into an incredible trilogy, amazing mutliplayer experience for both pro and casual gamers and the only reason I bough an XBOX 360.

Gears of War II: Better visuals (compared to GOW 1), yet Epic messed up the multi-player experience a little bit. Still, by far one of the best games I have played.

Gears of War III: Dazzling visuals, very nice story, a variety
    of mutliplayer game modes which literally changed my XBOX 360 into a GOW3-only game console! While the original GoW3 game has a lot to offer, the are providing the gamers with incredible DLC at a reasonable price. This game is much more enhanced than the previous two and you will never regret buying it. That is of course if you are into third person shooter games. If you are, GOW3 is the best game you can get on XBOX 360 and probably on an other platform. Expand
  22. Sep 20, 2011
    Gears of War 3 is a great game, only hindered by sub-par graphics and a somewhat sluggish frame rate. My first reaction was to blame the current generation of consoles. However, with Dead Space 2, Resident Evil 5, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Red Dead Redemption, Castlevania: LOS and numerous other games looking gorgeous and running so well on near 7 year old console generation... its hard for me to beleive the Xbox 360 or PS3 is the reason any game would show this much age just yet. A highend gaming PC they are certainly not, but they still impress with certain titles that make you wonder just how the hell they are getting games to look and run as well as they do on yesteryears hardware. Sadly, it doesn't seem to keep GoW3's graphics and performance feeling rather lacking... Could it be the Unreal 3 engine powering it? possibly... since its rooted in a Direct X 9 era of gaming. Or maybe EPIC ran out of time to optimize?

Regardless, it's easily the best of series per se... except it might be too much like a combination of GoW 1 & 2 for some. Perhaps too many instances of same old/same old. Then again, this is can be a bit more of a blessing than a curse... it works well, and its guranteed fun, far more intensified this third trip through the GoW saga. The story is so-so at best, and the duck/cover/run may be too focused... possibly becoming repetitive after long periods of time for many. But once again, its a flawless implementation, common to see poorly executed in other games, and definetely a breath of fresh air well maintaned within the series.

Loaded with extra content for endless hours, inclduing fantastic co-op scenarios. The game truly delivers.. not just on the story mode... but also in multiplay. Very seldom can a title balance both so remarkably well Easily a game you don't want to pass up. Worth a purchase, not a rental.
  23. Sep 20, 2011
    Gears of war 3 is amazing it surpasses gears of war 2 in almost every way possible. The very few problems that the series has had in the past has been fixed like: the connection is better than before, the pacing of the game is just right. Theres plenty of different modes to play like: campain(with co-op up to 4 people), verses, beast mode, horde. Theres alot to unlock from skins on your weapon to characters, the achievements and challenges are fun but also challenging to get. This wont be a game youll get bored of in a weekend infact ive been playing gears of war 2 up until now and thats been like what 3 years?! This game is perfect if your a fan of gears of war this game will deliver all you want and more. Expand
  24. Sep 20, 2011
    An epic conclusion to an epic series! Gears of War 3 is by far one of 2011's strongest releases. Highly entertaining game play, a great multiplayer that will keep you going for a long time, and an epic story to finish one of the greatest game series-Ever.
  25. Sep 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I got this yesterday and I finished it today. It was awesome! I hate that Adam Fenix died.... DX and I thought Queen Myrrah was Marcus Fenixs' Mom. That would be awesome! THIS GAME GETS A 20/10! Expand
  26. Sep 20, 2011
    Excellent game so far. The graphics are top notch and has the same gameplay as the previous versions but with differnt weapons and modes. Like evrryone else has said, horde mode is great.
  27. Sep 20, 2011
    fantastic well polished cap to the gears universe, the multiplayer is like nothing else and the single player is a beautiful roller coaster ride of awesome.. The story is what it is, but when gears is telling a story it makes for hilarious commentary. Great game all around, so worth the purchase!
  28. Sep 21, 2011
    Gears of War 3 is the best shooter ever. With stunning graphics, excellent sound effects and a perfect gameplay, this game definitely deserves 10. He will surely win the Game of the Year 2011.
  29. Sep 22, 2011
    I've studied at lot of games, as far as game design goes, and no game has yet to master what Gears does best. Whereas most games constantly reward players with perks and bonuses for doing anything, Gears encourages territorial control and teamwork without "special abilities" hindering player progression of skill. It goes a long way in evolving tactical combat into a balance pace of cover/flank/shoot without lingering in any one position. Best of all, I've notice little to no camping is possible. With new maneuvers like the mantle kick and new weapons such as the digger launcher, there is a functional solution for any situation and creates kinetic tension rarely done in modern shooters. Most importantly, although Gears 3 is staying in a "tried and true" formula, this franchise has done more than just influenced a new style of shooter to play; it has a signature feel that no other game has. Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc. all play first person and have reiterated the same motion of combat since games like Doom. Not to say Gears didn't have its influences (Resident Evil 4's over the shoulder camera and kill.switch's cover system) but in a crowded market of "me too" first person shooters, Gears strides in playing completely different. I respect those who may think that Gears is not there game or if some other game makes them feel more passionate, but any hate towards the amount of polish and passion this game has received is just plain ignorance. This is my Game of the Year. Expand
  30. Sep 21, 2011
    Great title. Amazing visuals and very solid gameplay. I'm a fan of the series and am very impressed with the 3rd outing. My only beef is that the online matchmaking is annoying as always with the Gears series. It takes minutes to find matches, as opposed to seconds like most "A" titles.
  31. Sep 21, 2011
    Best console game this "gen" imo. Just goes to show what a proper beta, 6 more months of dev time, and dedicated servers can do for the overall game experience. Lets hope EPIC sticks to this model, and others begin to follow it.
  32. Sep 26, 2011
    **9.5/10 Really, really good. You've got to play it. It's the best in the series. Buy it. Love it. Finish it. You'll have a huge blast. That is all.
  33. Sep 22, 2011
    WOW! Lots of ill-informed and stupid reviews here! GOW 3 is a good game, and you won't be fooled by it if you've played the first two. If you don't like 3rd person shooters, stay away! @KyleCrase15, you downvote a game because you don't know how a beta works??? The dev didn't tell you your unlocks weren't going to be there upon the actual game coming out because THAT'S HOW ALL BETAS WORK. @Jordan23 I read your "review" three times and couldn't come up with any actual criticism of the game. Your problem with the game seems to be you overhyped it for yourself, and now have issues because it's not the GOTY candidate you thought it might be. Anyway, the game is exactly what you think it is if you've played Gears. Solid 3PS, and doesn't do too much to change the series (which can be a bit of a downer if you thought this was gonna be something it's not.) Expand
  34. Sep 21, 2011
    Gears of War 3 is an excellent cooperative campaign experience and also an excellent cooperative multiplayer experience. The key with this game is that whether you are sitting with a friend on the couch or playing with a few friends online, you can complete both the campaign and the various fantastic multiplayer experiences together. Not many games offer this type of experience. The graphics are better than previously, the gameplay much smoother. The multiplayer is light years ahead of what it used to be with modes like Horde vein immersive. The developer did a great job of combining your achievements from the campaign and the multiplayer together to level your player up. There are countless in game achievements that can be earned and things like weapon and character skins. Gears Of War 3 is a must have third person shooter for fans of the Gears series or newcomers alike. Expand
  35. Sep 21, 2011
    The first two games were very good and served to shape the current generation of consoles, but the third entry in the franchise is simple a cut above everything that came before.

Gameplay feels refined, responsive and more fluid than ever. Sticking to and pulling away from cover has never felt this smooth. The roadie run has had its speed ramped up. Weapons like the lancer have been
    fine-tuned to perfection. Add to that a feature-rich package which includes 4-player campaign co-op, competitive multiplayer (on dedicated servers!), Horde 2.0 and the new Beast mode which lets you control the Locusts (BERSERKER RUSH!) and you have one of the best games ever released on the Xbox 360.

Amazing. Game.
  36. Sep 21, 2011
    Story driven game = Gears of War? Sorry, but you must be kidding. If someone buys any of the three Gears of War-Titels for the story, you've got something wrong. Seriously. This game is about action and having a damn good time. Because Gameplay wise everything was told before, i decided to add some information for the owners of a 3D-TV. First of all, the 3D Mode of Gears is gorgeous. You cant compare the quality of Gears's 3D effect to any other existing 3D title for the xbox. It pushes 3D on a complete new level. I own a PS3 and played all popular 3D titles so far (Killzone 3, Resistance 3, Crysis 2, Super Stardust HD and so on), but Gears 3 does not have to hide itself, compared to the PS3 3D effect.

The depth, especially when you are in cover, looks amazing and the texture resolution and framerate are superb, compared to other 3D titles of course. everything runs smooth.

So if you are looking for a superb action game with a very good 3D support, give this game a shoot!
  37. Sep 21, 2011
    After playing the previous 2 games in the series, I believe this is what fans of the series have been waiting for since 2006. The campaign does not have a story that will pull you in unless you have played the previous games. I felt that the story was predictable but a good conclusion to one of the better action games ever released. Where the story lacks, the game play more than makes up for the shortcomings. Player movement is faster, weapons have a good feel and realistic sound, and the cover system has been tweaked so the accidental wall sticks rarely occur. The multiplayer aspect is lag free and the most enjoyable competitive and cooperative experience to date on the 360. There are some balance issues to be had with a few of the weapons(doublebarrel) but for the most part, everything feels that it has it's place. the new maps are designed to prevent camping and every match is exciting. I do feel that the arcade campaign should not have cut scenes, but that is just a personal opinion. If you enjoyed the first two games in the series, then do not hesitate to make this a must purchase. If you never had the opportunity to play the previous iterations then you owe it to yourself to pick this game up and give it a try. Either way, this will be the only game in your system for quite some time. Expand
  38. Nov 1, 2011
    This game is by far the best experience available on the xbox 360. the gameplay defined this generation of 3rd person shooters and it builds heavily on that.the story is very dramatic and has some of the best story telling techniques in gaming of course lines can be a bit over exaggerated but people are to focused on the small things. the graphics are probably about the best you'll get on 360.....or any console. the gameplay is about as action packed and as cinematic as an AAA blockbuster movie.This game is everything you wanted from this generation of gaming and then some.10/10
    STORY:9.5 GAMEPLAY:10 GRAPHICS:10 SOUND 9.5 MULTIPLAYER:10 PRESENTATION:10 REPLAY VALUE: 11
  39. Sep 22, 2011
    Without question the best of the 3 which should say something b/c the first 2 are so good. Basically refined straight up fun that makes it hard to imagine playing a more fun game again this year (but remember Battlefield, COD). Worth buying a 360 for.
  40. Sep 21, 2011
    Gears of War 3 in my book is epic! All of them are great games, and have changed the gaming world much like Halo has. As I played through this last installment I realized not much has changed from the first Gears. We are still fighting the same enemy (Even though they glow) we still have the same characters, and same game play. I know a lot of critics are saying it's nothing new, but to me that's the charm of it! I feel like it's been one long journey that's finally come to an end in the best possible way! Great ending to a fantastic franchise. Expand
  41. Sep 21, 2011
    There is a difference in a bad game and being bad at the game. Since gears of war 1 i loved this game but 1 had a HUGE multiplayer learning curve. If you did not shotgun or pick up a special weapon you were out of luck. It was all about quick reflexes and bounces of the wall. So to start I will explain the differences I see in multiplayer that makes it perfect. First off the movement, to say only guns and maps changed is idiotic and blind, go play gears 1,2, and then 3 and you will see a major diffence in the smoothness of the movement. From roadie running to aim to getting behind and off cover and overall movement it's amazing. Going from extremely slow matchmaking based off host to a little better in gears to dedicated servers in 3? Extremely fast matchmaking and virtually lag less game if your connection is decent. There is no gun in the game that you can not use. Gears 1 was mainly shotgun. Gears 2 was a little weaker shotgun,explosive, and sniper. Gears 3 adds a lot stronger rifles to make it almost necessary to work as a team as apposed to lone wolf making it a lot more accessible to new players while keeping it balanced for the day 1 players. They went from a gloomily dark color palette and added brighter colors easily distinguishing locust and cog. The graphics are amazing and the detail is incredible. And to complain about 45$ Day 1 DLC it is weapon camo, it has no impact on the game. They are doing it to fund the dedicated servers. The gears multiplayer is the most balanced I have ever experienced but it does take time to grow on you. Repetitive dying might annoy you, i sure was making me not play the first one for months. But the day you can bounce off walls and do a pop shot you will feel a challenge to get better and a game that takes great developed skill to be a great player, overall offering a better experience that the way easier shooter games of this generation. There is a reason this franchise went from my most hated to my favorite, it takes time to grow on you. The single player is great especially this third one adding four player coop making it a way better experience. The lambent add a great challenge and the feeling a hopelessness adds Dalton to the wound in the falling gears universe. The holy s**t moments are bigger than ever and the lines are as enertainina as the first. Horde 2.0 is a great experience adding the tower defense portion add greater depth with boss fights adding a greater challenge. The money incorporation adds customization and ability to re buy in if you die and a end points makes a reachable goal that will prove a challenge on insane dificulty. Beast mode is a great spin on the horde where you play as the locust. It is fun but my once complain about this game is that beast mode is extremely short but not much to besmirch my score for the fact the everything else add such great play value that this game will keep you entertained for month. All 10 maps 9 new are destined to be classics. My advice for you is to give this game a try and keep playing because it will grow on you. Thank you Epic Games for making this the first time a hyped up game actually surpasses what I expect. Forever live the gears universe!! Expand
  42. Sep 21, 2011
    Anybody who rates this game less than a 10 is retarded the gameplay is so tight the story compelling and multilayer is a blast by far the best gears game out there and one of my top ten games of all time and I've been playing games for twenty years.go buy it now!!!!!
  43. Sep 29, 2011
    This game is just epic. Explosions, violence and so much gameplay. Decent length campaign (4 player co-op and arcade mode give more replay value), Horde 2.0 is more of the same, but its still a lot of fun and its not longer about planting boom shields. Beast mode is good fun, if not a bit easy. There's some people complaining about the multiplayer- they're sad because they're getting beat, but don't worry you can play with bots on "casual" if you're not up for it. Expand
  44. Sep 27, 2011
    Gears of War 3 is an old dog with some impressive new tricks. Although it doesn't leave the realm of the expected (much) or do much in ways of reinventing the franchise, it meets and even exceeds it's excessively high expectations. The campaign hasn't gone in any new directions, however, it goes much farther than any other gears of war title managed to in scope and polish; and that's just the first act of the game, and now offers 4-player coop and an arcade mode with competitive scoring and mutators (featuring old UT classics like "big head" and "instagib"). Multiplayer now features unlockable weapon skins, mutators, and characters to keep the elites interested and finally offers effective dedicated servers to ensure that someone's ping isn't the deciding factor of the match. Horde 2.0 is on a scale only dreamed of in the previous installment with the new currency system and boss waves which lead to massive battles against brumaks with the help of lumbering mechs and machine gun turrets. The new beast mode is short but impressively tactical, offering the wide diversity of locust abilities and tactics to the player in small, organized teams.

The updated unreal engine now utilizes deferred lighting and rendering and combines it with other new and impressive effects (such as a more detailed motion blur and volumetric sunrays and particles), and color is finally used as a powerful tool in atmosphere, much unlike the original Gears of War. This makes the game's impressive visuals stand out in what is possibly the most competitive time yet for the graphics industry.

What was the most impressive feature of the entire Gears package was the story. Epic studios has never been a studio with an emphasis on story and only recently has attempted to deliver it as part of a AAA game package. With the help of author Karyn Travis, the Gears 3 story and characters have a surprising layer of depth and atmosphere between the frantic fast paced gun fights. Characters are now far more diverse than testosterone laden men and far deeper qualities are evident or at least hinted at (depending on the character) throughout the campaign. Certain story pieces (which I will not spoil) have an impressive and respectable amount of detail. Musical and visual juxtaposition are used to the greatest effect and create moments that reduce even the rowdiest crowd of online players to complete silence. Although the story comes dangerously close to cliche at times, it steers clear just in the knick of time and has a great sense of novelty, and every component of the game comes together to create a very deep sense of the potent struggle of humans living cooperatively on the verge of death. Even the gameplay emphasizes this interdependence with the ability to share ammo and money.

Gears of War 3 is not an unexpected game, but it is surprising in it's potent and vast sense of teamwork throughout a multitude of well designed game modes. It's a very hard game to not recommend, but although it certainly is not flawless, it shines bright enough to be seen as a gem of a game in a time of near omnipresent, massacre-fatigue shooters and horror titles. Thanks to EPIC studios for defying the stereotypical notions that have smothered this game's reputation since the first with the best and most thoughtful Gears of War title to date. Anyone who bashes the game for story shortcomings or originality must be truly desensitized to the things that make a video game more than just a game. This was truly an unforgettable experience.
  45. Nov 7, 2011
    This is the best iteration in the series so far. It still has the great Gears feel, and a lot of value on one disk for everyone who buys this.

Single Player- EPIC story, FUN campaign, likeable characters and the gameplay to boot.
    Multiplayer- I have never enjoyed multiplayer Gears, but this is the first time I have continued to play months after release. Great fun and very balanced
    gameplay- definitely take some skills and getting used to, but well work the effort.
    Horde Mode and Beast Mode- again, GREAT fun. In both you kill wave after wave of increasingly stronger enemies- and it is extremely addictive. Overall- Highly recommended and should be considered for GOTY. A must buy for Gears fans and a must try for all others.
  46. Sep 27, 2011
    I reviewed this game earlier and found the beginning slow and, therefore, gave it a rating of only 6. Having played this for a few more hours, I can safely say that this is an absolutely brilliant and mental game. The action is cranked up to overload compared to Gears I & II. I would have no problem in saying that this is probably the best of the series and one of the best games on the x-box. There is a feeling of deja vu about the game but who cares. It is more of the same with a turbo on it. In conclusion, if you can get passed the first couple of missions (Cole's mission) which are a bit slow, then you are in for a cracking ride. GET IT. Expand
  47. Cg1
    Sep 21, 2011
    Gears of War 3 is one of the most hyped-up games of this year. And rightfully so. This game boasts beautiful graphics, eye-popping colors, and intricate details in characters, enemies, weapons, and the environment. The game flows smoothly between its frequent cuts between cut-scenes and game-play, and this is always appreciated because it never interferes with the playing experience. The story line is great and the characters were really brought to life. Wise-cracking jokes throughout the game really serve as comic relief for a dark turn of events on Sera, and me and my buddy had a good laugh at least once per Act. The game's witty sense of humor matches perfectly with it satisfying visceral -blood-and-guts action. Gear 3 is addicting and never stops being fun. I have never been on the edge of my seat for the length of an entire game, always guessing what'll happen next. The combat is always changing and mixing up so firefights are never the same. The wide variety of enemies make combat unpredictable and make Gears stand out compared to games like Killzone and Resistance. One of my favorite parts in the game is when Delta Squad mans a Pendulum Wars-era COG Submarine through a beautifully animated underwater environment. Gears has a massive sense of past history that intersects the present in the game, which makes it unparalleled. Story wise, it was very fun and unpredictable. Gears has a high replay value, Horde is brilliant, Beast is awesome, and online multiplayer is simply awesome. Though, not as addicting as Halo and Call of Duty's online, gears is definitely a must have for all Xbox owners if not only just for the online multiplayer experience. The campaign is epic, and the ending has sweet revenge and resolution written all over it. The only reason Gears 3 is getting a 9 from me is becuase of a few minor technical issues and a few scattered cheesy lines that stuck out like a sore thumb. Other than that, Gears of War 3 is one of the best titles of this year and of this Series. Expand
  48. Sep 21, 2011
    This is strictly a Multiplayer review:
    Gears 3 multiplayer is easily the most accessible for new players, I myself are a Gears Veteran, but I can see that EPIC have made some drastic changes to the MP, to encourage new players to the series and at the same time, keep that fine line between Hardcore and Casual. EPIC have done a tremendous job with Gears 3, they have eliminated the 4 major
    issues with previous games:

1) Host advantage
    2) Lag
    3) Overpowered Bots
    4) Balance with Weapons

One of the negatives of this game is that there aren't enough maps or new game modes for Multiplayer but EPIC have already confirmed that future DLC maps are coming soon. My other negative is the Sawed Off shotgun, the gun requires no aiming and skill, it needs a significant "nerf". But these issues are very minor, it's easy to avoid a Sawed Off, it's like avoiding a Chainsaw from the Lancer.

10/10 EPIC, the introduction of Dedicated Servers has made Gears of War 3's hit detection flawless!
  49. Sep 21, 2011
    I have never seen a more detailed and fun game in my entire life. Horde, beast, versus, campaign. Gears fans will be spending lots of time on this beauty.
  50. Sep 22, 2011
    This game is out of this world! The story is actually awesome. The game play is tight. I have lost many hours of sleep these last few night because I couldn't put it down. Epic nailed it on this one. Don't take my word for it almost everyone who has REALLY played it loves this game. The only bad review by users I've read are from resistance 3 fan boys who have not even played it but have nothing better to do while they wait on a patch for that bug filled pile of garbage! GOW 3 gets it right in every way possible. A must play for all gamers. Expand
  51. Sep 22, 2011
    Anyone who is thinking about buying this game shouldn't be discouraged by this user rating of 7.8, the game deserves about a 9 but I'm rating it 10 to balance out all the idiots who gave it a 0. If you like the Gears series you WILL love this game, people who give it a 1 are just a bunch of ps3 and cod fanboys.
  52. Sep 22, 2011
    Gears of War 3 has so many improvements and new features compared to Gears 1 and 2 and blows both games out of the park. The online is smooth and not rigged and rating the whole game low since you didn't get the beta unlocks that don't do anything is ridiculous. The only thing about the game that I think could have been improved would be for the Horde mode. I made it to round 37 and the host left and I was immediately put into the main level. You can start a private horde game on any level but I do not know if I can start from where I left off. The campaign of Gears 3 is longer and more story driven than any of Epic's games and is a blast from start to finish with dramatic sections. This is the best I could ask for to the end of the trilogy. Expand
  53. Sep 23, 2011
    I am happy to have bought this game .. and was not disappointed!
    First, as expected, the scenary just does not cease to please. While the first part was a simple shooting, but the second part has already demonstrated the drama, tears and bitterness of loss .. And yes, the third part could only strengthen it.
    Secondly - the schedule. The quality is very high. Finally, the console squeezed
    all the juice. The quality of execution just 10-plus.
    Third - gameplay. Perhaps the most colorful and bloody shooter at the moment. Not to mention the detail of his injuries.

I bet 10 out of 10. This is a good completion interesting series of games. And also a good game. Gorgeous.)

P.S. The plot just grabs ..
  54. Sep 26, 2011
    This game is phenomenal. Don't get me wrong it's the most polished one having been developed for three years and the multiplayer is by far exceeds the previous two. The couple problems I have with the game are the difficulty settings. I played Gears 2 on Insane and broke one of my controllers in the process from getting so angry, Hardcore and Insane in this game feel way too easy I breezed through the "longest" gears campaign. I also felt the ending needed a bit more power, it was kinda lame compared to the previous. Now the only gripe I have from the multiplayer is this and I know its been said a million times, but the double barreled shotgun kills the experience. Its great if your going to have a unique gun that kills in one shot (torque bow/one shot sniper rifle) but please do not make it a load out weapon. I mean come on Epic your threads were were been flooded with angry fans during the beta, and you still ignore them. 9/10 Expand
  55. Sep 28, 2011
    You piece of **** Gamehog.
    It is the **** better game in the world.
    ENJOY !!!!
  56. Nov 10, 2011
    The graphics on Gears of War 3 are impressive. The storyline is also as heart moving as could be. Filled with all the characters you have grown to know and love, you watch and see as they go through their final hours. Making it as epic as ever could be. 9/10*
  57. Sep 23, 2011
    What an amazing game, still not completed the game only one chapter remaining. Horde and beast mode are great compared with the horde mode of gears1 and 2
  58. Sep 23, 2011
    I believe that this game is excellent. Of course I am a long time Gears Of War Fan, so I may a bit Biast. But I love this game. The new modes, including Beast Mode, Arcade, and the improved online and Horde, along with the Ten hour campaign is excelent. The Multiplayer has improved ten fold from two, being more fast paced with better weapons in damage and control. Though shotguns still primarily dominate this game, rifles do play a bigger role. No longer can someone kill you half way across the map with a gnasher against a rifle, though they can still kill you half way across the map. I so far love the campaign, and enjoy it thouroughly. The new horde mod has come from being a simple survival game to something completely else. It now has tower defense elements with things such as turret's, barriers and distractions at each out post. Holding very small RPG elements because when you level up each type of defence, you keep it until the next game and more. Beast is the exact opposite. 12 Rounds as locusts fighting full fledged defended humans with a boss wave that, on the harder difficulties, can be quite crushing. Finally, the arcade mode lets you have a bit of competitive fun with your friends without there being to much competetiveness for your more hardcore gamer friends to freak out. All in all, its a major improvement and the best game in the series. Though quite a bit has changed, the good parts are still the same, and that is why I love this game!
    10 out of 10.
  59. Sep 23, 2011
    Firstly i would like to say how disappointed i am by the fact that some people on this site have given a negative review on the game without even completing the campaign. Ive personally have always been a fan of Gears, even though ive been disappointed in some of the directions taken in the previous games, Gears 3 seems to be able to hit the nail on the head just right. It contains a well varied campaign that will remain fresh throughout the game by introducing new characters, guns, enviorments, and boss battles. The game rewards both the aggressive and defensive players alike. These qualities carry on to the multiplayer where i was blown away with the fluidity, well balanced maps and guns, and also just the overall fun factor. I cannot even begin to imagine the amount of effort put into this game. Gears 3 will be remaining in my xbox for months to come. Expand
  60. Sep 27, 2011
    Best game of the series. Love the main story and single player game play. Multiplayer needs a few balancing tweeks but i'm sure this will be fixed in time.
  61. Oct 3, 2011
    Here is an Xbox 360 exclusive that is resolutely hardcore. It comes packed with visceral gun-battles, ear-splitting explosions, bucketloads of blood and you use a good old-fashioned control-pad to play it. Oh, and it's also one of the best games released all year.

Committed gamers know what to expect from the Gears Of War franchise, and Gears Of War 3 will tick all of their boxes.
    Chainsaw bayonets and blood spatters: tick. Hulking space marines: tick. Chest-high walls and new and interesting ways to blast the Locust troops: tick.

But there are signs here that Epic want to entice the casual gamer too. The campaign mode contains a short clip of the game's backstory to ground the uninitiated. It also offers a "casual" difficulty setting which allows players only interested in seeing how the story develops to breeze through its 10 to 12 hour-long campaign.
  62. Sep 23, 2011
    Awesome game. The addition of new weapons, characters, and modes are a wonderful addition. Beast mode in particular is a delight to play, and Horde mode has received a major upgrade. The gameplay is the same as ever, and that is not a bad thing. I personally loved the campaign, and found the ending thrilling; however, a large amount of people never play campaigns anyway, so it doesn't matter if I liked it. The multiplayer deserves a paragraph of its own. Its as amazing as it has always been, and it has received some marked improvements. One of these improvements are the ribbons/medals system (clearly taking a page from Halo: Reach....or a whole book), which let you see your stats clearly, and compare them to your friends. While there are balancing issues, particularly with the Sawed-Off Shotgun, I expect these to be fixed in a patch rather soon. I recommend this game to fans of shooters, and especially fans of the series Expand
  63. Oct 1, 2011
    I admit my concern. I was afraid Gears' formula had worn on me after the second installment. I also admit that I was wrong. So horribly wrong. Gears of War 3 is, without a doubt, the best in the series by a mile and an absolute masterpiece. There is something that sets it apart from the other two. You can feel the dedication that Epic has put into this finale. Everything has been improved. The campaign, while never emotionally engaging, is fairly intriguing and supplies some twists I didn't see coming. This game's crown achievement, however, lies in its multiplayer. Everything is streamlined and works brilliantly. There was hardly a game where lag was a problem, and the constant unlocks have kept me addicted. Gears 3 isn't a radical change, but it never really needed it. Instead, Epic has opted to smooth over the wrinkles of the last two. Everything feels smooth and improved. I love, love, LOVE this game. Expand
  64. Oct 25, 2011
    Gears of War 3 is the best of the franchise to this point. I really enjoyed the campaign's good pace and varied war zones. The story had better moments than the past two games and the characters were a bit more interesting. It made the single player portion much more memorable and that means I'm going to play it again soon. The multiplayer side of things is tight. There are some occasions where you might get a WTF moment, but all in all it's a solid experience. Horde mode is a little more fun as Epic did small improvements from the previous version in Gears 2. GoW 3 reminds me why this is one of the best exclusives out there, and with a very generously priced seasons pass option, I can keep gaming at an affordable price with new content over the next year. I certainly hope this isn't the end-all title for Gears, as it's just getting better. Expand
  65. Sep 24, 2011
    I've been a fan of the Gears series since the first blew me away back in 2006.

I must admit i felt Gears 2 went backwards in both single and multi player , apart from Horde.

This has rectified that though. It really is the total package from a brilliant single player to the best multi player they have done. Brilliant game.
  66. Sep 26, 2011
    I see metacritic has yet to do anything about the console fanboys bringing game scores down with zeros. No game deserves a zero. Quite pathetic. Uncharted 3 will be treated in the same fashion. Which is a shame.

Gears 3 is a fantastic game! And offers the best multiplayer experience on any platform. The campaign is truly Epic, and has not one dull moment. It clocks in around 13hrs without
    filler. Couple that with COOP, Versus, Beast, and Horde 2.0 you have got yourself one Stellar package! Buy it! Buy it now! Expand
  67. Oct 25, 2011
    Cerrando una magnifica historia. Gears of war es una de las franquicias mas importantes en la historia de los videojuegos, programado por el aclamado estudio Epic Games y patrocinado en exclusiva por Microsoft y su consola Xbox 360. "Marcus es tu padre" La historia nos lleva 18 meses despues de la caida de Jacinto, comenzando donde el protagonista, Marcus Fenix tiene un sueño, sobre lo que siente ante la perdida de su padre Adam Fenix. La calidad grafica a mejorado considerablemente comparado con entregas anteriores, la fisica del agua se excelente, el fuego se ve mucho mas real, y al personaje le iran saliendo cicatrices dependiendo de donde recibamos daño. El soundtrack que ambiente el juego tiene una mejor calidad que agrega emocionon en partes importantes dentro de la historia. El sistema de juego se siente mas fluido, mas rapido y tiene unas mejoras considerables, ya no mas recoger municiones cuando quieres revivir a un compañero o pegarte a la pared cuando quieres agarrar un escudo humano. Tambien se puede jugar la campaña de 4 jugadores y se pueden intercambiar las armas. La historia o campaña es mas larga comparandola con la de Gears of War y Gears of War 2. Tiene una duracion de 8 horas en adelante. Y ahora pelearas con uno o mas jefes finales por nivel. Ahora no usaras a Marcus en toda la campaña, tambien usaras a Augustus Cole "Train" en un tipo de de historia alternativa. Asi de: "Una hora antes". Entre los nuevos personajes jugables se encuentran Anya Stroud y Samantha Byrne, al parecer la igualdad de genero por fin llego a la historia. Tambien encontraras a Clayton Carmine, el tercero de esta familia, a Aaron Griffin un lider de los supervivientes y a Jace Stratton que la verdad pasa sin pena ni gloria dentro de la historia. La trama es excelente concluyendo excitosamente no solo con la historia de Marcus sino tambien cerrando las historias de los demas personajes. Los personaje se sienten mas reales y logran involucrar a la persona que lo juega en la historia, los sentimientos y expresiones se sienten mas reales, los dialogos se sienten mas fluidos y el humor logra sacar unas buenas carcajadas. "Toda gran historia tiene un excelente multijugador" El multijugador es tambien excelente, ahora agrega nuevos modos y algunas mejoras en viejas modalidades. Entre los nuevos modos de juego estan Team Deathmeatch que es un versus de 5 vs 5 donde los jugadores comparten 15 vidas cada equipo y el equipo que pierda todas las vidas primero perdera la partida. Rey de la colina tambien cambio y ahora que tomas el circulo ya no hay que quedarse dentro del circulo. Captura al lider, las viejas modalidades guardian y anexo, se fusionaron y ahora ya no hay que matar al lider, hay que capturarlo 30 segundos ininterrumpidos. Y estan los demas viejos modos. Entre las nuevas armas se encuentran: La Escopeta Recortada: es una nueva escopeta que puede matar a 3 enemigos de un solo tiro, suena excelente pero es opacada por su lenta recarga y ademas solo tiene 6 tiros. La Retro Lancer: Es una reliquia humana de 79 años antes del Dia- E. Es una arma intermedia entre la escopeta y los demas rifles pero en vez de una sierra electrica tiene una bayoneta. El Excavador: Que es un tipo de granada que se entierra y explota al encontrar un enemigo. El One Shot: Que es un potensisimo rifle de francotirador que mata al enemigo de un solo tiro. Las Granadas incendiarias: Que se usan igual que las demas granadas solo que esta se prende en flamas. El Silver-Back: Que es un tipo de Arma Movil que esta armado hasta debajo de las uñas literalmente. Sin duda sera de lo mas jugado en linea durante mucho tiempo. "Ahi viene la Horda" El clasico modo de supervivencia llega mejorado. Ahora en cada mapa hay bases y tendras fortificaciones que se consiguen con dinero que acumulas matando enemigos. Hay Desde Barricadas de puas que van evolucionando hasta lasers que queman a los enemigos. Tambien cebos que van desde figuras de carton hasta muñecos que explotan. Armas automaticas que pueden llegar hasta doble cañon. Torretas que son 4 Retro Lancers hasta una torreta automatica con escudo. Y el Silver-Back. Ahora son tambien 50 oleadas y cada 10 oleadas es una oleada de jefe. Y ahora habra todo tipo de enemigos que van desde los enemigos mas faciles hasta los enemigos mas rudos. "Eres una Bestia" Modo Bestia es como horda pero con los papeles invertidos y tu estas en el bando de los mas feos. Empiezas desde los pequeños Ticker hasta las poderosas Berserkers. El modo es contra tiempo y tienes un minuto para matar a todos los humanos, ellos tienen todo tipo de armas y tu solo tienes muy feo especto y mal aliento asi que hay que usar estrategia para matar a todos los enemigos antes del tiempo. Expand
  68. Sep 24, 2011
    Between the 10-15 hour long campaign, 6 multiplayer modes, Horde mode, and Beast mode, Gears of War 3 will keep you entertained for a long time. The only negative is the few amount of unlockable weapon skins , as most cost money.
  69. Sep 26, 2011
    The sheer level of content is mind-boggling. Modes, maps, rewards, unlockables...just tons and tons of stuff to go through. Multiplayer is very balanced and encouraging of a wide range of play styles, both in its weapons and level design. Single player is surprisingly good story- and script-wise. It's not Earth-shattering like a Bioshock, but for what you're expecting, the story is the best one in the series and the script never gets overly hokey or cheesy. On the whole, this is the best Gears game that's been released, and it's really not as close as it seems like it should be. Expand
  70. Oct 26, 2011
    This is one of the best games for the 360. The graphics are awsome. The story is great. The campaign has a very satisfying ending. The horde mode is awsome too!
  71. Sep 27, 2011
    I like this trilogy it has been fun. I love horde mode and the final game was just so well done I enjoyed it. If you like Action and and enjoyed any of the Story in 1 or 2 you will love this game.
  72. Sep 24, 2011
    I am really irritated by these reviews saying the game has a bad story or it doesn't make sense or that the gameplay is the same. This game is amazing, period. These kids saying the story sucks or doesn't make sense must have never played gears of war 1 or 2. It ties in very well with the series and it gets really emotional and very good at the end. It really makes you connect with the game. It deserves a solid 9.5 out of 10, whether you like the game or not. The environments are really cool looking and are different from the caves and darkness of the first 2 games in the series. People giving the game a 0 or 1 are pissed off ps3 fanboys. Especially the review in which they say the game takes no skill. It does take skill. A lot infact. I started off doing really bad online and im doing better everyday. The modes are fun and the maps are detailed. I wish they would add more characters to choose from. Theres a lot but adding more would have been nice. Overall, there's a lot to be had with this game. I honestly cant believe this game has an average of 7.7 out of 10 for user reviews. That tells you how many fanboys try to ruin a game. Don't listen to anyone giving this game a poor review. Epic put a lot into this game and it is the best game in one of the best series of all time and you won't be dissapointed Expand
  73. Sep 25, 2011
    I just can't wait for the next one! (In a good way). There is so much testosterone in this series it just makes you happy (well me at least). They have built upon the great parts of 1 and 2 and this is the most smooth ride of the series. I don't want to spoil the game for you, so just pick up a copy and smile as you saw, hack, squish and of course shoot your way through a series of a delightful bunch of neighbours. The multi-player part is also excellent! It's awesome to play with a friend on the sofa or on line with total strangers. I enjoy the Horde (and Beast) mode the most, though the lambent berserker can be something of a b***h to end. All in all fun stuff! Expand
  74. Sep 27, 2011
    10 Astonishing game loaded with game variety that will have you playing it frequently for the next year and possibly beyond.

There are three main facets of Gears 3, the Campaign, Multiplayer, and Horde mode. Each of these game play modes is rich in providing a unique gaming experience. The ability to play cooperatively with your friends online or on the same television in any of these
    modes makes for incredible fun.

Horde mode has you fighting,with up to four teammates, waves of enemies that progressively get harder with each level. Horde mode was introduced in Gears of War 2 and many gamers believe it was the best feature of the entire game. Not resting on their laurels, Epic made numerous improvements to Horde mode in Gears 3. While it retains its familiarity in actual game play, the addition of purchasing items (you can purchase barriers, turrets,etc) adds a strategic element to the game. The more items you purchase allows for you to 'level up" and unlock greater items which makes you want to keep playing. In my opinion, Horde mode alone is worth the purchase price of Gears 3. A new addition to Gears of War 3 is Beast mode which is like horde mode, except you take on the role of the monsters. All of the monsters have unique attributes and play differently. My personal favorite is playing as the Berserker and smashing everything in sight. As fun as Beast mode is, I do not think it has enough substance to challenge the lasting appeal of Horde mode.

Multiplayer is numerous game modes that has your teammates and you fighting against other human, or optional bot, adversaries. This is the mode that typically is criticized the most because people complain about the other players, poor networking, unbalanced weapons, etc. It should be noted that if the masses have issues with Multiplayer gameplay, Epic has traditionally been quick to release a patch to resolve the issue. My experience with mutliplayer so far has been good. It is fun, especially when you have a squadron of your friends playing with you, but it is by no means perfect.

The campaign will provide you with 8-12 hours of solid entertainment. The story continues on a few years after the conclusion of Gears of War 2. It is possibly the weakest of all the story-lines but it manages to fill in the missing gaps from the previous games. The gameplay itself is excellent, and is even better with a group of buddies.

There are many other things that i could ramble on about Gears 3, but I think it is best that you experience it for yourself. Whether you are a Gears veteran, or new to the franchise, you will not be disappointed with Gears 3.
  75. Oct 3, 2011
    Gears of War 3 is one of the best games I've played in a long time, It is full of anything and action or shooter fans love. The story is better than the first to with many twists and turns, and Gears 3 has great characters and voice acting. One thing Gears 3 has that a lot of games don't is replay value, besides the epic campaign there is Versus, Horde, and Beast. Which each are fun in there own way, Versus is your typical online that every one enjoys, which includes Team Deathmatch, Capture the leader, Warzone, Execution, King of the Hill, and Wingman. Horde is a mode where you and four other players face off against wave after wave of the locust and lambent, which goes to all the way to wave fifty. Beast Mode puts you in the shoes of a locust monster such as the Serapede, or the Berserker, I do like this mode but however it ends quick since there is only twelve rounds. There is just a lot to do in this amazing third-person shooter. Lets not forget weapons, and there are many. First off the online start off weapons include the good old Lancer, the newly added Retro Lancer, and the Hammerburst are the primary weapons, and the secondary weapons are the Gnasher Shotgun and the Sawed-off Shotgun. You can pick up every other weapon in the maps. You can also choose what character loadout you want to play as, one locust, one COG. The game is a must buy for anyone with an Xbox 360. "The Cole Train don't go woo woo. It goes WOOOH!!! Expand
  76. Oct 25, 2011
    I really enjoy this game more so than the other installments in the series. This game plays just like the others which isn't bad at all and makes veterans coming into the series able to adapt really quickly and same goes for newcomers. The new game modes like Beast mode and the updated Horde mode really add a kind of flavor to Gears that won't be found anywhere else; the 4-player co-op feature is a welcomed addition as well. now with all this being said the game does have flaws not huge ones by any means but i felt they were annoying such as in most cases when you exited a multiplayer game it kicked your party back to their respective menus,also the loading screens were a little long but it runs a lot better if the game is installed. Last but not least the Multilayer which this time around is amazing and will keep somebody hooked for a month or two at least. New game types include TDM, Capture the leader (essentially guardian with a twist) and the random weekend playlists. all in all if you are a fan of gears and don't have it then get it now if you are looking for a game to play this should be on your list of options IMO Epic nailed this title with only a few flaws. Expand
  77. Nov 10, 2011
    All i can say is thank god i don't have to put up with the sissy drama between BF3 and MW3.. Gears of war 3 FTW!!! For my review this game has really be polished off, and it performs well on all aspects. There was a lot of confussion that was undon from gow2, and i think the devs did a really good job about telling the story about what happen. The game is really meant to be played from first to last. Expand
  78. Sep 26, 2011
    This game is Epic. After working at gamestop for 3.5 years i can safely say anyone who doesnt like this is either a kid who doesnt know any better, or an adult idiot. Campaign took me about 11 hours on hardcore, the story was amazing, and the scene with Doms Ultimate drama almost made me cry. The ending was equally emotional and epic. The new horde mode is great, once i beat the campaign on insane i will ensue countless hours in it. The multiplayer is amazing, it finally works, i have played at least 40 games and have not lagged once. Weekly challenges just as Halo Reach help unlock gun skins and such. All the new gun skins are quite a nice touch too. My guns currently have dynamic thunderstorms on them. In the end GOW3 was an epic ending to the series.. Expand
  79. Sep 25, 2011
    amazing game, the best gears of war, the most complete and the most funny.
    buy it now and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  80. Sep 24, 2011
    Everyone complaining is hilarious. This game is as near perfection as a game can get. Horde 2.0 alone makes this game worth buying, Plus there is the regular multiplayer, 4 player co-op across the ENTIRE campaign, even an arcade mode where it turns it into a competition, Beast mode which allows to to take control of almost every monster in the entire game, even giant centipedes, Berserkers, and even the smaller monsters like Tickers and Wretches. The games stat tracking is amazing as well, anything you do is tracked, and every bit of your effort transfers into experience for leveling up. I have seen people making outlandish complaints and it is just sad really, Because they are either just lying PS3 fanboys, or they did not give the game a fair chance from the start. Gears 3 isn't perfect.. but NO GAME EVER IS, It is pretty damn close though, and definitely some of the most intense game play you could ever hope to experience. Another quick argument about the **** reviews being made.. Notice how there are a **** of positive reviews, and then only a handful of mixed? and then way more negative then mixed.. Why do you think that is? people are giving it harsh scores just to be **** so you should disregard reviews giving such a low score because it is nothing more then a PS3 fanboy trying to hate on a game that they cannot play. I own both systems, I look forward to playing this years exclusives, Gears is a great game regardless of what console it is on. So haters keep being salty, nothing you say matters. Expand
  81. Oct 28, 2011
    Wow, this game is so good, it stands apart from the usual shooter in that it has a unique, highly effective cover system, and in online matches you get one life, so it really forces people to savor their lives and work together rather than run around on their own like other shooters. If you played great games like CoD and Halo and are looking something with this type of change of flavor, then Gears 3 is for you. Collapse
  82. Sep 27, 2011
    I'm giving this a 10 not because it's perfect - but it is definitely closer to a 10 than a 9. The single player campaign of Gears 3 is brilliant fun. For a game that looks big and dumb to the untrained eye, the story was surprisingly compelling and I really cared for the characters. That "event" to the middle of the game (don't want to spoil anything) definitely rates as one of my top 5 or 10 game moments in my 15 years of gaming.

Aside from single player, the online multiplayer is fantastic fun. I have already lost hours of my life with three other mates in Horde mode and versus. Though I do hope Epic tones down the sawn-off in a future update. All in all, an utterly excellent game and a fitting swan song to the trilogy. Bravo, Epic.
  83. Sep 27, 2011
    What can I say besides the fact this is as close to perfect a game can get. The campaign was excellent, much more depth and diversity than previous installments, and positively enthralling the entire way. The multiplayer is strong and solid, the addition of dedicated servers is perfect for someone outside of the US like me. Horde 2.0 could very well be my favourite part. With the new additions of currency and the fortification you can build, along with boss rounds and increasing difficulty, it stands up strong to other wave modes like Zombies and Firefight. Gears of War 3 is the biggest and boldest of the series, and pulls it off with a brilliant success fitting such a memorable series. Bravo, Epic Games. Expand
  84. Sep 26, 2011
    No need to to say anything more than what has been said already. This is Third-person shooter at its finest. A perfected cover system. Game of the year material. A game that will surely still be played for many years to come. if you own a xbox 360, this game is must in your library. Don't let the haters get to you since this one game everyone can surely enjoy. no other game comes close. If there is one complaint, that may be about the single player. its short, and veterans might breeze through it rather quickly. but the real meat is in the multiplayer anyway. and the beta testing, served this game well. Expand
  85. Sep 24, 2011
    Single player campaign game made great. It has a sustained rhythm, a lot of memorable emotional moments and a good length.
    Graphics looks great, special effects and picture look great. The game's plot answers to many questions of the previous parts and logically completes the epic trilogy.
  86. Oct 26, 2011
    Almost perfect.
    The campaign, Thanks to Jablonsky's music too, is epic.Maybe the ending isn't as good as Gears of War 2 one,but still, a great ending.Graphics are perfect, no one bug.
    Multiplayer is fantastic as well. No more lags, the match starts in a few seconds (minutes maybe) and it is a lot of fun. Horde 2.0 is just epic but sadly it lags more than multiplayer.
    There's no way this
    game will bore you
    Absolutely must buy for every xbox 360 owner
  87. Sep 26, 2011
    I do not understand why such a people hate this game!!!! For me, this is one of the best games ever made!
    Seriously! I love the graphics, the history and everything! and of course the game play still being good as ever was. So, if the two previous GoW are good for you, then no think it: YOU WILL LOVE THIS ONE!!!
  88. Sep 24, 2011
    First the bad news. There is not enough time in any given day to play enough of gears of war 3! Now that thats out of the way where do I begin with the goodness? I have been a gears fan all through the series, but none of the games have come close to this one. Actually no shooter of any title comes close to this one. The graphics are the best of any game on any system. Epic went to work making crysis look secondary. The color palette in this game is more vibrant and welcoming unlike episodes one and two. The characters have been well meshed with the scenery and there has been an improvement in the frame rate. The story Is good, not shaw shank redemption levels but good none the less. This game features an amazing amount of cutscenes that are not just one and done, but are spread out evenly through every part of the game giving the player the perfect amount of action and then relax time. Gameplay is intuitive And the campaign is a great length. Unlike Call of Duty there is a real long and deep campaign experience. I can't say enough about the multiplayer experience. Horde is so much fun with friends and or any people from the extensive online community you won't want to play anything else. The upgrade system is fleshed out well, and makes you feel good. Many other games I've played,like Halo have upgrade systems but none this rewarding. Wingman is another one of my favorites as well as team deathmatch. I am normally a solo player and don't do the online thing much, but this game is way to fun and way to good to enjoy by yourself! Well done Epic, well done. Expand
  89. Sep 26, 2011
    Epic delivers across the board with a polished conclusion to the trilogy that represents the pinnacle of what this generation can offer. A surprisingly poignant and lengthy campaign with a good amount of variety both in settings and gameplay that lets you play from a variety of character perspectives. The online has a plethora of options that will give this game legs for years and introduces the new Beast mode as well as tweaks to the beloved Horde mode. Botmatch is a welcome option once again and the seamless online integration to all modes (including co-op campaign) is exceedingly well implemented. The campaign encourages replay with plenty of collectibles and Easter Eggs. The audio is every bit as impressive as the visuals from the voice acting to the soundtrack. This is the best third-person action game released to date. Expand
  90. Sep 24, 2011
    This game is excellent. The single player campaign is superb and fun despite being wrapped in a throwaway, groan-inducing story. For those who are complaining about the story; I don't quite know what you were expecting. The multiplayer modes are a lot of fun and exceedingly well balanced. As a long-time Gears of War 2 multiplayer, I can see why there is some controversy around the changes that have been made to multiplayer. The multiplayer feels less strict, with tighter controls and it really emphasizes the need to work as a team. I think a lot of the complaints around GOW3 multiplayer basically centers around GOW2 fans who can't use the same old bag of tricks. The ranking system also seems to work a lot better now too, so some of these players who are upset about getting beaten could just have found themselves with a new class of opponent.

For many of the GOW3 multiplayer games, players with good map knowledge and tactics won the games every time. The teams with the most organized attack plan (whether on purpose, or by accident) constantly dominated.

Nitpicks.
    I find that there is some weird stuff happening around interacting with players/bots that are downed. You seem to need to be in JUST the right place to revive them, or to use them as a shield or execute them. I have lost a few matches as I was fumbling with the controls to use a guy as a shield but couldn't quite get it right.

Despite these minor issues. This game is very well made and one of the highest polished games I have ever player. The whole presentation oozes quality and perfectionism.

Great Job EPIC

The multiplayer bots seem to have been upgraded as well. While still not the same challenge you get from human players, they WILL kill you if you are careless or make a mistake. On every server I've played on so far, any bots playing have held their own and were not "gimmes," or (much of) a weak link in any team.

This game is huge. Even after completing the single player campaign on "Hardcore" (a step I wish I could just skip, and go straight to Insane), I still feel like I have only scratched the surface.
  91. Sep 25, 2011
    The great and very good looking game. Gears of war 3 is the best co-op game ever. It's is better than gears 1 and gears 2. Superbly, the graphics are jaw-dropping, and impeccable gameplay, history and well-written characters with life.Go stay forever in the history of games, Gears is wonderful everything was done with great care and with many details, but rather an game to top it off gold trilogy. This is the king of 3rd person shooters this gen. Nothing compares to it, story, multi player nothing even comes close. Expand
  92. Sep 25, 2011
    Truly an Epic finale to one of the most celebrated sagas in the HD era. Once again Epic delivered a stunning conclusion. Through this game Epic tied all the loose ends in the series. Marcus Fenix and Delta squad will be remembered always. The campaign is very well paced and is perfect for it's length because if it stretched a few hours longer then the game would've stuck in the boredom of hell. Epic's most Epic franchise's Epic conclusion is truly Epically Epic!!! Worth a wait!! What can I say, "Brothers To The End". Expand
  93. Oct 26, 2011
    One thing that I can't stress enough is that you're easily getting your money's worth by purchasing Gears of War 3. There's so much content to be fully explored, accompanied with a ridiculous amount of time-consuming challenges and unlockables. As with all games, however, there is still a handful of disappointments, mainly with the campaign. Starting with the campaign, it is definitely the longest one in the series. This, however, is misleading, as there are many situations that are merely used as "filler" firefights, consisting of you killing endless amounts of locust/lambent for no apparent reason in the exact same fashion over and over again. They're entirely unnecessary, and are only implemented to extend the campaign's number of gameplay hours. I enjoy locust/lambent firefights as much as the next guy, but the pacing and sheer amount of them becomes tedious and repetitive quite often. Epic also did a poor job explaining many of the events following GoW2 but before GoW3, as well as some of the new characters. Supposedly these details were explained in comics that Epic released, but honestly, that's a little absurd to include vital information on a separate piece of media that a fan MIGHT read. Overall, the story of the campaign was very enjoyable, save for the conclusion. The conclusion winds up being an extremely cliche and "convenient" ending, leaving me slightly angry. However, it's still a somewhat fitting ending and it essentially leaves no room for another game. Epic could, however, make some DLC for one loose end during the campaign, but nothing more than DLC. I was very impressed with GoW3's improved graphics, and the new lighting effects are quite exceptional. The multiplayer is where most of us will be spending our time, whether it be Horde Mode or Versus. Beast Mode is a great little addition, but I don't see myself playing it more than necessary in order to unlock awards. If you were a serious Horde fan from GoW2, you won't be disappointed. "Horde 2.0", as Epic calls it, is chalk full of additional tweaks and challenges that dramatically extend the abundance of things to do. It's still obviously heavy on the core experience, but fantastic new features such as "Boss Waves" are a sheer blast to play. The Versus Mode has been tremendously improved, using dedicated servers to prevent lag and so that host no longer has god powers over the game. The online maps are much larger than in previous installments, and I dislike at least half of them, due to the weapon-hording/camping that goes on, but they still work most of the time. I still feel that the Sawed-Off Shotgun is far too noob-friendly, removing any skill involved with actually aiming a shotgun. Granted, they have to be relatively close to pull off a gib, but with the way the maps are set up, it's extremely easy. The game keeps track of a huge variety of statistics, which is something that I desperately desired in GoW2. Versus does have some matchmaking issues that should be somehow fixed. Getting into games is easy enough, but the servers are more worried about throwing you into the first game it finds, rather than balancing teams. You'll quite commonly be thrown into games where no one on your team, other than yourself, is even above level 40, whilst the opposing team has no one below the level of 70. And it's not just the initial game where they'll be unbalanced teams; even after that first game's completion, the game will still constantly stack one team and leave the other with Sawed-Off wielding scrubs who have no idea how to play. Keep in mind that this is an EXTREMELY frequent occurrence, so expect it to happen more often than not. The positive thing, is that this only occurs in Quick Match Versus, whereas Ranked Match games will wait until the game is balanced before starting. The negative thing, is that on average, about 30,000 people are playing Quick Match at most given times, whereas only 2500-3000 are on Ranked. If you don't mind waiting for several minutes for a game start and you want to avoid the aforementioned issue, I recommend Ranked. Overall, Gears of War 3 is essentially the whole package. It still easily remains one of the top 3 shooters on consoles, the others being Halo and Call of Duty. It stays true to what made the original famous, and tweaks it to become a top shooter. If you even have remotely enjoyed any Gears of War games in the past, you should definitely pick up a copy of this one. It is the best overall in the series, and even if you're new to the series, it's another fantastic shooter that stands out amongst the rest. Expand
  94. Nov 1, 2011
    Me parece que la saga ha ido mejorando con cada entrega...los graficos, la IA, el multijugador, los escenarios...es definitivamente el mejor juego de la saga y un excelente exponente del genero
  95. Oct 11, 2011
    An almost perfect single player experience, the graphics, the story and the musical score come together perfectly to make the finale satisfying and fun. Horde is fun minus the jerks that drop out in the middle as is beast mode. The versus isn't my thing as the roll roll shotgun gameplay is boring as boring can be but still a great game.
  96. Oct 2, 2011
    This is really a epic game from epic games. The graphics are amazing, the storyline is incredible, and the controls are absolutly epic. No longer are you going to get into cover on the wrong side. The multiplayer is more fun than Call of Duty. Yes that is right. No more annoying campers and snipers. The cover and shoot system really gives more flavor and varaiety in multiplayer. You will never feel that your opponent is completely OP. There are also a MASSIVE array of unlockables. Caracters, weapon skins and modifiers like big heads and insta-gib melee. The beast and horde mode are one of the best co-op experiences I've ever had. EVER (second to Borderlands). However, where there is good there is bad. This game can get repetitive, al lot in fact. Another thing is that this game doesn't have as many as those HOLY-CRAP moments like Gears 2 had. Gears 2 has you destroying a gaint worm by cutting it's heart's artaries. Gears 3 has you killing more lambet locusts. It just feels like gears 3 is going through the moments. And this feeling gets more strong later in the game. However these are very minor flaws, but great enough to only get a 9 intead of a 10. The single player also feels a bit cut-off. It feels like the devs spent more time on the multiplayer aspect intstead of the single-player. But all in all this is a great experience, but bear in mind: If your a offline or singleplayer gamer, you won't get as much in this game as you whould if you play online. Expand
  97. Sep 24, 2011
    Gears of war has a smooth feeling in multiplayer its faster and feels alot better then the previous 2 gears, they were also very good i saw someone talking about fighting the in Horde with something he described as fighting in a japanese boss fight which does not make sense at all and gave 0 points for it, Dont forget to rate the graphics the story line and other features in the game. They are all fantastic thats why i am giving it a 10. Expand
  98. Oct 19, 2011
    Bigger and better is what Epic promised with the release of Gears of War 3, and they delivered on all fronts. The game has a great story, that does enough to draw you in; even with the inevitable ending to follow. The gameplay is tight, the best it's been in the trilogy and the game never makes you feel over-encumbered or slow. The gunplay is on point, with the sound, look and feel of every gun being unique and satisfying. The co-op campaign is done very well, with support for up to four players online and two locally. The multiplayer game modes are expertly varied, and horde mode returns with some tricks up its sleeve. The game is fulfilling, wholesome, and precise; and might also stand to be considered the best Xbox 360 exclusive to date. Gears of War 3 is one monster of a game. Expand
  99. Oct 19, 2011
    Better than Gears of War 2 , Good story , Great gameplay , Best Graphics on XBOX360 so far , Strong multtiplayer but its this game better than Uncharted 3 ???? we ill know the answer later
  100. Oct 23, 2011
    I Really didn't come into Gears of War 3 expecting to be taken by it as much as i have, the multiplayer is genuinely great this time around and is one of the most polished and smooth running games i have played on my Xbox 360.

The campaign offers around the same emotional impact as the last, which is just above average for a shooter, but being a game that knows it's audience well Gears 3
    has delivered the best epic set pieces, levels and characters of the series.

I wouldn't have purchased this title if it was going to be the regular average campaign and multiplayer that interests you for a bit under a month that is becoming ever so common with 'triple A' titles as of late. With modes like Horde, Beast, Co-op Campaign and the ability to adjust campaign with 'skull' like options this is definitely value for money.

I am giving this title a 9 out of 10, it is a great game that has very polished and addictive multiplayer, a variety of buddy modes and a pretty lengthy and rad campaign!
  101. Oct 28, 2011

1. Jan 18, 2012
    Rather than the perfect end to a thrilling series, it seemed like the developers were afraid to take real risks with either the story or the gameplay of Gears 3.
  2. Dec 12, 2011
    Gears of War 3 is a solid game and likely worthy of the praise it's received. I just happen to think it falls a bit flat.
  3. An unmissable, unbeatable offering. [Dec 2011, p.95]