5.5

1. Jan 8, 2016
    People Can Fly have done something new with the series. The core gameplay is still in place, but the emphasis is now on more arcade-style action. Level's are smaller and more close quarters. This leads to conflicts and levels that are shorter in length, but do a better job of ensuring that you are constantly in the center of the action.

The Gears of War series has always been a cover

The Gears of War series has always been a cover shooter. However in this entry I barely used it. With conflicts being so hectic, taking place in close quarters, and the focus on scoring stars this entry really changes how you approach Gears' combat. The new spawn system that changes up enemy types and where they pop up at each time you play through a level is novel, if not always noticeable. It does a decent job of ensuring you aren't facing the exact same challenges on repeat playthroughs.

Another great addition is the inclusion of "Declassified" missions. These new challenges allow you to get stars faster by upping the challenges you'll face. Things like reduced visibility, time-limits, and the restriction of only certain weapon types do a great job of changing up the game and adding some extra tension and challenge.

The reason you'll want to get these stars is so you can unlock more content. Specifically the "Aftermath" campaign. Aftermath takes place after Judgment during Gears of War 3. It serves as a way of letting us know the final fate of the game's new characters. Not only that, but the combat and level design ditches the new style in favor of the standard formula. It's basically kind of like a story DLC for Gears of War and it's inclusion is a nice touch.

As for the story itself it's pretty solid, if a tad disappointing. It's cool to get a look at the conflict when it was just getting started. The issue is that it takes a while for the new characters to get fleshed out and once they finally start to get interesting the end of the campaign isn't far behind. Baird and Cole's personalities also aren't as colorful as they are in the main games. That all changes during the Aftermath portion however.

As far as presentation goes this could very well be the best looking game of last gen. Bright, vivid colors replace the typical shades of brown and gray and give the world more life. It's a gorgeous sight to behold.

The multiplayer part of the game is basically what you would expect. While People Can Fly were making the new campaign, Epic Games was working on the multiplayer. The results are familiar. A new mode called "Overrun" is quite a blast. A survival mode replaces Hoard mode, but it's basically just Overrun with bots. Despite little innovation and only a handful of modes the experience is still fun. It's biggest issue is just that there aren't many people online.

Despite some stumbling in it's multiplayer portion, "Judgment" still manages to impress thanks to a new approach to it's single-player offerings. It's action packed, frantic, and an all around adrenaline rush. It's a much needed breath of fresh air for the series and a heck of a lot of fun. Gears of War does something truly different and it pays off in the end. There's also plenty of reasons to come back thanks to a plethora of unlockable goodies. Purist Gearheads might be turned off by the new focus of combat and the step back in scale, but overall I think it's hard to not appreciate the excellence of the series combat even in this new format.

I give the game an 8.4/10.
  2. Apr 22, 2015
    Despite enjoying the Gears of War trilogy (particularly 1 and 3 when played co-op) I never got around to playing Judgement. At the time the mixed review scores and fact that I’d had my fill of the Gears formula meant I decided to give it a miss but, having belatedly got round to playing it online with a mate, I have to say it is a very good game.

Few titles have ever matched the gunplay

Few titles have ever matched the gunplay of Gears of War and People Can Fly, creators of the excellent and sadly over looked Bulletstorm, have taken the classic gameplay of previous titles and put it into short missions of between 5 and 15 minutes in length that award players with stars based on their performance. The clever twist (one I’m surprised more games haven’t copied) is that at the start of each mission players can choose to make it unclassified. This basically increases the difficulty by doing things like adding a time limit, making the enemies more intelligent, reducing visibility as a result of poor weather etc. This really helps to keep things fresh throughout the 42 Judgement campaign missions and the short length of each, as well as being ideal for online co-op, really encourages repeat plays in order to try to earn more stars.

Once enough stars have been earned a further campaign is unlocked which acts as an hour and a half long prelude to the Gears of War 3 storyline and is an enjoyable, if rather brief, reminder of the older Gears titles.

The only real negative in the whole package is the competitive multiplayer which is just as uninteresting as it has always been and not something I bothered spending all that much time with.

Overall though Gears of War Judgement is a great package that can now be picked up for virtually nothing. I’d highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good shoot em up, particularly fans of previous games in the series.
  3. Mar 21, 2013
    Another solid entry into the Gears of War franchise. Although it refines certain mechanics, it doesn't add much new. Overall a solid game though.
  4. May 10, 2017
    Gears of War Judgment is a little different to the other games, but not in a negative way. It still feels and plays like Gears with all the core mechanics in place and beautiful graphics. The campaign is good, with a decent mix of action, level design and a very simple action-oriented story. There's nothing clever here, just your run-of-the-mill shooter campaign but done right. What makesGears of War Judgment is a little different to the other games, but not in a negative way. It still feels and plays like Gears with all the core mechanics in place and beautiful graphics. The campaign is good, with a decent mix of action, level design and a very simple action-oriented story. There's nothing clever here, just your run-of-the-mill shooter campaign but done right. What makes it particularly interesting are the Declassified missions; which add an extra challenge and make the experience more enjoyable overall. Each level is broken down into sections, and each section has its own score target and some have Declassified missions which earn extra score. The missions are fairly repetitive: complete the section in a set time, face more powerful enemies, reduced visibility, reduced ammo, weapon restrictions and so on. However, the cutscenes and declassified missions do break immersion with your choice of weapons in gameplay; in nearly all cutscenes characters are always shown with Lancers even if this is not the case. Similarly, even though there is plenty of ammo available, some of the Declassified missions will contradict this in the storytelling.

The multiplayer is nothing like classic Gears - it plays more like a typical third-person shooter with much more verticality than is typically possible in Gears. Whilst it's not bad, with a decent mix of weapons, maps and game modes, it's understandable why some (most) people don't like it.

The survival mode is more promising though. It's basically defending some object and falling back when it gets destroyed. There are four classes and five players. Unlike typical Gears Horde, this is simplified considerably. There are no resources or a Fabricator, you cannot build defenses, you can change class when you die and can respawn within a few seconds of dying. There are also only 10 waves. It definitely has a much more lightweight and arcadey feel to it, which is by no means a bad thing.

One thing I particularly have to commend this game for is the AI. Your teammates actually revive, play the objective, kill enemies and somewhat use teamwork. It's clear that the four-character setup was meant for co-op campaign, but iunlike in most games AI teammates aren't useless or stupid. This is particularly important because the entire campaign (and survival) are always with the 4 characters.

Overall, Gears of War Judgment is both a good shooter and Gears of War game. It may not be as high quality as the main numbered entries, but it's still a decent experience whether or not you're new to Gears.
  5. Apr 28, 2013
    Judgment is a nice extension of the Gears of War series. It does very little to innovate upon its already proven campaign and multiplayer base, but what it does, it does well. Declassified mission options give a great change-up to the campaign experience and force you to approach an encounter with some kind of added difficulty or weapon set that you might otherwise not use. The story isJudgment is a nice extension of the Gears of War series. It does very little to innovate upon its already proven campaign and multiplayer base, but what it does, it does well. Declassified mission options give a great change-up to the campaign experience and force you to approach an encounter with some kind of added difficulty or weapon set that you might otherwise not use. The story is worthwhile, and I found myself enjoying this title more than I had expected to, especially the small spin off to the Gears of War 3 storyline that you experience via Aftermath. This game will find opposition, but Judgment isn't a flop, even if it feels a bit like an expansion pack at times. I think anyone with a level-head and reasonable expectations will find this a good investment of their time & money. Expand
  6. Apr 4, 2015
    This the first Gears of war game I have played, and I thought it was going to be awesome but I was wrong. This isn't a terrible game but this need improvements big time. The controls in this game are a joke. The weapons feel absolutely useless, even the shotgun and the sniper. I didn't like this game, and I don't think I'll be playing another Gears of war game after this experience. Do not buy.
  7. Jul 8, 2014
    Gears of War: Judgement is not a game to be dismissed as bad. In fact, it has the same level of polish and good gameplay of previous games. I also like some of the changes, such as the addition of the Declassified segments. The game, however, feels way to similar to prior games, which may upset many.
  8. Aug 16, 2016
    Gears of War: Judgment is a 2013 military science fiction third-person shooter video game, developed by Epic Games with additional work by People Can Fly and published by Microsoft.

+ Fun Gameplay
    + Coop
    - Boring Story
    - Bad Characters
    - Repetitive
    - Boring Multiplayer Modes, boring Waves and Challenge
  9. Apr 6, 2013
    Loving the first three games, I had to get this and so glad that Epic Games did not end Gears. So is Gears of War: Judgment shine with the other Gears games? Sadly no! I'm sorry if you love Gears but this game is a dissapointment. Lets start with the campaign. The Judgement campaign is based on year 1 of the war with locasts. Cole and Biard are with us and with two new characters witch areLoving the first three games, I had to get this and so glad that Epic Games did not end Gears. So is Gears of War: Judgment shine with the other Gears games? Sadly no! I'm sorry if you love Gears but this game is a dissapointment. Lets start with the campaign. The Judgement campaign is based on year 1 of the war with locasts. Cole and Biard are with us and with two new characters witch are quite interresting. Really good story, like always with Gears. What ruins it is how every section is you trying to get stars witch just feels like a arcade game or a chalenge mode, witch a chalenge would be a great idea. I see they were trying a new way of gameplay, but it just ruined it for me. After you complete Judgement you unlock another campaign called Aftermath witch is more like a dlc. Its based in the middle of the events in Gears of War 3. Also with Cole, Biard and even Carmine. You meet up with one of the new charactors from the Judgement campaign. It keeps to the original style of gameplay witch I like. Sadly both campaigns are way too short and loved the campaigns in the other games, but not in this ,I don't like Judgement campaign and aftermath was decent... just dissapointing... Lets move on with multiplayer. Multiplayer is more balanced then ever, bit the same but still alot of fun. But what gets my attention survival and overun. Survival is defending objectives from relentless locasts, not a horde 3.0 but quite interresting changes. Overrun witch is players play as locasts witch try and destroy objective, while the COG players try and defend, easily best multiplayer game mode. Overall this game took too many steps back or not trying to push on foward. Just feels too much like other games. Gears of War: Judgement 6.5/10. Expand
  10. Dec 19, 2014
    I hesitated to play this one, because all the flame and bad reviews it got. I must say, I agree, but not with the user score but with Critic's on this one.
    1) Graphic - Great. One of the best on X360, and as to be expected this is one of the best looking games on Unreal engine. 9/10
    2) Sound - nothing new from previous instalments, just good. 7/10 3) Story - actually for a shooter it
    2) Sound - nothing new from previous instalments, just good. 7/10
    3) Story - actually for a shooter it has really great story (i started Serious sam 3 right after this - cant complain :D) Campaign is also perfectly timed, It ended just before it started to bore me (I hate when games drag too long, I like to finish them but sometimes I want to throw up when I think that game should end 5 hours earlier f.e. Uncharted 2, GTA 4, Dead Space 2 - cool games but enough is enough) 8/10
    4) Gameplay - im giving judgement only based on single player campaign - great. I actually had more fun than in GOW 1 and GOW 3. Its my second best (if not as good as GOW2) instalment of the series. 9/10

Overall - 9/10
    Dont read those bad reviews, if you didnt played GOW games for a long time (like me) or didnt played this games at all (even better) there is big chance that Youll love this game, just like me. And You can buy it really cheap now.
  11. Jun 12, 2013
    I'm not going to stand here and say this game sucks, because it doesn't. It just lacks... Something. The campaign is pretty fun, just extremely repetitive. Visually outstanding and the sound design is as good as ever. The combat is great, but it needs pacing and brakes. Sure moving through hordes of enemys is fun, it just gets a bit much when you're doing it in the campaign for 8 hours+I'm not going to stand here and say this game sucks, because it doesn't. It just lacks... Something. The campaign is pretty fun, just extremely repetitive. Visually outstanding and the sound design is as good as ever. The combat is great, but it needs pacing and brakes. Sure moving through hordes of enemys is fun, it just gets a bit much when you're doing it in the campaign for 8 hours+ with no brakes. Check point placement could of been better as well. Button lay out is still the best for any xbox shooter game, imo. The new classified missions are a really nice edition and co-op play is where the most fun is to have. Multiplayer feels pretty good, they've added some stuff which makes it feel fresh, although still nothing to keep me interested for too long. I tried my best to play it with an open mind, and it interested me for a while... But all in all, it's just a pretty average game with lots of co-op and long lasting game play. Expand
  12. Mar 23, 2013
    Four bland and short multiplayer maps, the removal of Horde mode which Gears *made* popular in the industry, a complete control scheme change for more arcade like ("Call of Duty"-esque) gameplay, a forgettable linear story with characters who are subdued, removal of key unique game modes and mechanics (e.g. DBNO, active reloads, executions), and extremely shady DLC practices out of theFour bland and short multiplayer maps, the removal of Horde mode which Gears *made* popular in the industry, a complete control scheme change for more arcade like ("Call of Duty"-esque) gameplay, a forgettable linear story with characters who are subdued, removal of key unique game modes and mechanics (e.g. DBNO, active reloads, executions), and extremely shady DLC practices out of the gate. Frankly, Gears: Judgement is the culmination of the loss of several key Epic developers (CliffyB, Rod Ferguson), the loss of People Can Fly's original founder and creative designer after their acquisition by Epic, and Microsoft pushing to keep their limited number of "exclusive" franchises relevant. The lowest point in the series and it removes nearly all the elements that differentiated Gears from every other bombastic shooter. Rent, don't buy. Expand
  13. Jun 17, 2013
    This series is getting worse each and every game. Probably the last in series I bought. Pity because that was a good game once!!! Even better because we are all going to PS4 after release anyway.
  14. Apr 14, 2016

+ Fun Gameplay
    + Coop
    - Boring Story
    - Bad Characters
    - Repetitive
    - Boring Multiplayer Modes, boring Waves and Challenges
  15. May 24, 2015
    Such hate because it's not quite the same Gears game. Yeah, it's inferior to Gow2 and 3 (I think it's probably a little better than the original due to how much more content it has), but it's still fun. The metacritic score of 79 is about right. The campaign is less enjoyable than ever not only because the story is mediocre but because the whole campaign is split into little segments soSuch hate because it's not quite the same Gears game. Yeah, it's inferior to Gow2 and 3 (I think it's probably a little better than the original due to how much more content it has), but it's still fun. The metacritic score of 79 is about right. The campaign is less enjoyable than ever not only because the story is mediocre but because the whole campaign is split into little segments so they can keep giving you challenges to apply to each little part. I prefer the longer, larger scale battles of 2 and 3 to this type of campaign, although it's still a pretty good campaign (7/10, I'd say). There's nothing wrong with the multiplayer or co-op but nothing is "standout", either. Why an 8? Well, I really enjoy the overrun mode, which is like a multiplayer version of horde mode. Kind of imbalanced or not, it can provide hours of fun. On top of this, there's jus a lot of content, just like GoW3. The content isn't quite to that level, but this game is at least a 7.5/10 in my opinion. Again, I understand the hate and I was kind of disappointed, too, but it still stands as a good game with plenty of content (oh, and mroe new guns). Expand
  16. May 26, 2013
    Another case of a great franchise ending with a game that's very disappointing. The original controls from previous GoW titles were changed for Judgement, it all fell apart. The weapon selection is f***ed up, no Horde mode, and the story is just plain forgettable. Iv'e been a fan of GoW since Gears of War 1 and Gears of War 2 was my all time favorite, same with 3, but Judgement is just aAnother case of a great franchise ending with a game that's very disappointing. The original controls from previous GoW titles were changed for Judgement, it all fell apart. The weapon selection is f***ed up, no Horde mode, and the story is just plain forgettable. Iv'e been a fan of GoW since Gears of War 1 and Gears of War 2 was my all time favorite, same with 3, but Judgement is just a complete waste of time and money.
    Gears of War Judgement is guilty for ruining a great franchise and sentenced to game prison for its entire lifetime.
  17. Mar 25, 2013
    When "Gears of War: Judgment" does what the previous games does, it does it worse. And when it does something new, it feels out of place. If feels like an in and out Gears game for most of the time, but everything feels like it's one big Gears of War 3 DLC. Nothing fresh, nothing for the better, nothing interresting.
  18. Jun 21, 2017
    If Gears of War 3 was the rising mountain of the Gears franchise (with the previous two providing the stepping stones), Judgment quite literally falls off the mountainside and soaks in such mediocrity that it floors me on why it even exists. It's truly difficult to say whether not Gears of War Judgment was really worth even making. Sure the prequel idea is cool, but the execution isIf Gears of War 3 was the rising mountain of the Gears franchise (with the previous two providing the stepping stones), Judgment quite literally falls off the mountainside and soaks in such mediocrity that it floors me on why it even exists. It's truly difficult to say whether not Gears of War Judgment was really worth even making. Sure the prequel idea is cool, but the execution is extremely sloppy. The story is a recount of testimonies that each squad member gives in the form of missions that make the overall story. In the end, it ultimately doesn't lead to anything and disintegrates after the fight with the final boss. The missions themselves are so widely varied on quality that it pains me to think that this was okay after coming off with a great sequence of events in Gears 3. The Declassified modifiers can be challenging to outright suicidal, creating mild to absurd levels of frustrations at every point. The new enemies and weapons are interesting, but create a time paradox of how the previous guns and enemies even showed up in this (for instance the Kantus were never shown until 2, they stayed underground as priests to keep the shrines in check, so seeing them in J was very confusing). Make it even more a pain with the Aftermath chapter, and just so happening to have those same enemies (claimed to be have killed and NEVER shown in 3) really hurts the overall universe of Gears.

The scrapping and downgrade of Horde shocked me. Survival is a barebones 10 wave mode that feels incredibly lazy and does even worse than Gears 2 Horde (of all things) with no real sense of accomplishment. Overrun is the mix of Horde and Beast, but the experience isn't as satisfying then those modes individually. They complement themselves awkwardly, with cooldowns on COG forces instead of ammo packs and traditional Hordeitemsthat make the game play as this weird MOBA-like that feels so conflicting in a Gears game. The main competitive multiplayer even shoots itself in the foot with COG vs COG matches (what?)....how was this even consider a good idea considering Gears multiplayer was always COG vs Locust for the last 3 games?! It makes no sense and adding that with microtransactions with overpriced stuff, it just saps the goodness out of this game so much that it turns grey and lifeless.

Gears of War Judgement was a massive disappointment and upset for me on every level. It is still hard to debate whether a mediocre score is even being too charitable, but ultimately the combat still felt good and intense to kill stuff onscreen. It was so forgettable and such a letdown for me that I felt bad that the Gears franchise essentially shotgunned its own face off and possibly laid dead instead of sticking to 3 and having a good final hurrah.
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    When you take a franchise like Gears and you make a worse game than your original (Bulletstorm), then you know it's bound to receive worse ratings than it would.

Gears: Judgment is pretty similar to the other GoW, God of War: Ascension. Both prequels, both with kind of a spin-off story, holding up to their predecessors technically and not doing a damn thing to improve that aspect and both as enjoyable as the franchise standard offer. Besides that a couple of cool ideas/weapons/enemies and that's it.

Prequel loss for ideas
    Nonetheless, the story and storytelling to be exact isnt that bad. The idea of the aftermath might have been for a dlc, but all in all it's not bad at all. What's bad is that the campaign has become a non-explorative level/battle to level/battle. And all of this arcade style. I wouldn't mind if they did that on another mode, trying to simplify the levels to match an arcade feeling, but the campaign is hollow now. It's worse than the excellent Gears 3, but stil a quite enjoyable shooter (that lasts only half of the other Gears games durations).

Play Gears 3 again or some other excellent shooter unless you are a hardcore-wannadieforGears fan. Even then, Marcus isn't home...
  20. Oct 18, 2013
    Gears of war Judgement is a good game. but its very medicre compared with the original trilogy
    I mean,Gears of war trilogy has an excelent story and deep characters
    judgement is very dry
  21. Jun 25, 2016
    It's still Gears of War! And I had a good time playing it! It wasn't perfect, but still very enjoyable. The controls were a little different, but still worked. The formula hasn't changed that much: You get big guns, and you shoot a lot of bad guys.
  22. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Nice lighting, good character models, detailed looking environments, but minor anti-aliasing. 9.5.

Sound: Voice acting is good, traditional gears themes, traditional gun sounds. No issues with sound. 10. Gameplay: The single player is broken down into sections with some mechanics feeling similar to a horde mode. The gameplay mechanics are similar to previous gears

Gameplay: The single player is broken down into sections with some mechanics feeling similar to a horde mode. The gameplay mechanics are similar to previous gears games although the controls have been revamped. The new controls feel great, and the multiplayer feels faster paced. The VS mode is familiar with previous gears but with some tweaks. New game modes such as Overrun and Free for all are new to the gears series, and are actually a lot of fun. The game also adds an aftermath mode to the game’s campaign which feels more like traditional gears rather than the judgment campaign. Even with the judgment campaign feeling like sections after section the game is actually challenging. Probably the most challenging single player in any gears game. There are new declassified modes in the judgment campaign that make it the most challenging. Fans are disappointed this time around because there’s no horde mode although there’s a survival mode, but while it is a fresh take, it’s not as revolutionary as horde mode was. 9.0

Story: The judgment campaign is a prequel in the gears series, and is told through testimonies from each character. The aftermath campaign takes place during gears 3 and is actually a good bonus. The story telling isn’t any amazing, but it’s just plain simple. No good plot twist, just a story progressing forward, with a seeable ending. 7.5.

Replay Value: Tons of modes, definitely another gears game with replay value. The single player is short, but there’s a bonus aftermath mode, the multiplayer is never ending. Still, there’s not enough maps for modes like Overrun, or Versus, Epic made a bad decision, but future DLC packs will add more. 9.0.

Overall Score: 9 out of 10.
  23. Apr 8, 2014
    Tengo que decir que es el peor GoW, cambian muchas cosas, por ejemplo los comandos, la mecanica del juego y de llevar un arma principal, eso si el juego tal parece que ha sido desarrollado para ser mas arcade, viendo los movimientos de los personajes, lo compre por su modo multijugador y ni de eso se salva. Un GoW debil con respecto a sus antecesores.
  24. Aug 18, 2013
    I loved GoW 1, thought GoW 2 was ok and I did not like GoW 3 at all. I actually thought this game was pretty fun. There was nothing new but the game looked really polished and the story was pretty decent. The game is really short 6-8hrs. So I would not recommend buying but this game is a solid rent that could be beaten over a weekend.
  25. Jun 3, 2013
    Definitely the worst entry in the series, but it's still a fun experience when played with others. The story and dialogue are laughably bad and the set pieces aren't very interesting. The graphics are also more cartoonish. I like the variety of different modes you can play, but they didn't stop me from trading it back in fairly quickly once I was done.
  26. Mar 19, 2013
    The formula has been tweaked, not completely redone. Developer People Can Fly teaming up with Epic Games is probably the best thing that could happen to Gears, Campaign mode finds Kilo Squad (Baird, Cole, and two new to the Gears universe Sofia and Paduk) recalling their journey that brought them to trial for treason and a few other crimes. You play through each characters testimony andThe formula has been tweaked, not completely redone. Developer People Can Fly teaming up with Epic Games is probably the best thing that could happen to Gears, Campaign mode finds Kilo Squad (Baird, Cole, and two new to the Gears universe Sofia and Paduk) recalling their journey that brought them to trial for treason and a few other crimes. You play through each characters testimony and it's intriguing enough to keep you playing and a fun story mode. Declassified missions manipulate a certain part of Gameplay to add a challenge but reward to each mission. This adds a refreshing variety to the Gears series that is very welcome. The multiplayer is top notch as ever. If you're reading this review you must have an idea of Overrun, which is somewhat similar to horde vs beast mode and it's phenomenal. The new domination mode mirrors annex with domination in most multiplayer games, with enough previous influence it's quite fun too. Free for All mode is great but with Domination it's confusing, usually COG vs COG soldiers and it's hard to differentiate between teammates in Domination. Survival takes place of Horde and while much like Overrun it doesn't feel as deep and rewarding playing against bots. Customization is abundant and plentiful, many ribbons and metals, skins, and rewards alike. I'll try to keep this more brief but Judgment is a must buy for any Gears fan and a damn good game in general, it's a fresh way to approach Gears and reinvigorate the series with new found life. Expand
  27. Jun 23, 2015
    Gears of War: Judgment is a prime example of changing way too many aspects of the game to make it more appealing even if the original aspects were fine on their own. "Star" bonuses that you get if you play the game in a certain way during the campaign which get amplified if you accept 'declassified' objectives that tie in exactly to enemy encounters, the absolute castration of theGears of War: Judgment is a prime example of changing way too many aspects of the game to make it more appealing even if the original aspects were fine on their own. "Star" bonuses that you get if you play the game in a certain way during the campaign which get amplified if you accept 'declassified' objectives that tie in exactly to enemy encounters, the absolute castration of the hammerburst, the exploitation of using the boomshield with every weapon, 'customization crates', and many other different things that will taste sour in the mouths of many fans of this somewhat obscure title. Now this is essentially the Gears of War version of halo: reach, taking place before the events of Gears of War 1 despite all the weapons included in GoW 3 still available and then some, but unlike Halo: Reach where you actually get to experience what the big deal Halo:Reach Was, Judgment takes a sort of ODST route where your 'squad' get a faux testimony to answer for what they did just prior to being absolutely inconsequential to the rest of the GoW story. Lightmass Missile? Karn? Halvo Bay? Who cares? None of this amounts to the fate of Sera or the success of the Cogs in anyway but just a notable anecdote of Cole and Baird's adventures. Throughout the Campaign you will occasionally get some more info fluff about the two new characters, Paduk (essentially Russian Stereotype) and Sofia (the easy to look at one) that try to show personality but aren't able to explain much more of their backstory before another onslaught of more samey Locust appear. The only new enemy introduced are Ragers which are essentially Mini-Zerkers from GoW3, and as for weapons, as I said, a lot of weapons have been changed for better and for ill. You can shoot two shots with the Sawed Off now, the Hammerburst is now Sem-Auto with huge recoil and no Ironsights aiming from GoW3, and the Boomshield can now be used for any weapon which essentially makes it overpowered considering that you can only carry two weapons now, also making the d-pad useless other than for Tacc Comms. Again, all of these different elements that may had been good on paper but otherwise was not necessary. Also, the campaign battles are glaringly repetitive even for a Gears game considering how the enemy encounters are directly tied to the Declassified appearances rather than the declassified being a side note, but otherwise declassified adds a bit of flavor to the repetition but it is only there to make more people gain those stupid 'stars' that makes the game more arcadey than improved from earlier. As a matter of fact, the Aftermath storyline is the best part of Judgment as it takes place around GoW3 as Cole and Baird were trying to find 'reinforcements', and also doesn't include annoying star gains or declassified bonuses as per with the GOW3 lore (even though all the weapons are still as they are and you can still find the 4 new weapons introduced). As for new weapons, the Marzka and Breechshot are welcome additions to the rifles of GoW, as the Marzka is a more semi-automatic high clip rifle and the Breechshot is a much more powerful, lower clip locust variant of it. As for the Booshka, it's a Boomshot with weaker grenades and grenades with a fuse timer that usually is kind of weaksauce even up close. The Tripwire Crossbow is only used to hold positions and not for combat, which I may also add there is a lot of 'turret defense' segments of the campaign as well that I honestly don't care about. Multiplayer is also severely crippled with the effective horde being a barebones Survival mode, and overrun being the only gamemode to versus locust and cog together (for some reason). But to summarize, this was not really needed as a new title. A story that isn't so lame but is absolutely inconsequential to the main story of GoW, weapons that either got too overpowered or got sodomized, a whole new system that makes the game more 'gamey' rather than good, and just generally changes that weren't needed. That's my judgment of this. Expand
  28. Apr 4, 2013
    I wasn't looking for this game but I'm really having a good time with it.
    The coop experience and the optional extra mission or condition in every cut makes the gameplay variate and intense.
    Quite fun!
  29. Apr 23, 2013
    The game itself was more or less giving fans the chance to learn more about Cole and Baird, which was why I leaped a it. However the gaming style was quite drastically different. Unlike the last Gears of war games, the storytelling isn't as linear and the sections are broken up by arcade style levels. You don't get to keep your weapons that you had in the last section which can beThe game itself was more or less giving fans the chance to learn more about Cole and Baird, which was why I leaped a it. However the gaming style was quite drastically different. Unlike the last Gears of war games, the storytelling isn't as linear and the sections are broken up by arcade style levels. You don't get to keep your weapons that you had in the last section which can be especially annoying if you've just grabbed your favourite weapon.
    But the interesting thing are the challenges they issue you to keep you on your toes, and the enemies in each level have about three different wave styles if you die/restart a level.
    What was nice to see was that if you played enough/got enough stars awarded you unlocked a section from the Gears 3 arc.

Over all it was definitely a fun game in terms of the main campaign but the play style was a little jarring by comparison, as much as they made it fit to the plot.. I'd rather they just stuck to a flowing gameplay rather than breaking it up into chunks.
  30. Mar 17, 2016
    Coming from Gears 3 I felt like this was a horrible reversal of all the things that made Gears great. So then I stopped seeing this as a Gears game and pretended it was a sequel to Dark Sector, and it suddenly was much more bearable. Too much COD corruption has ruined the pvp, however the Horde Mode 2.0 was the best yet. Tower defense meets beast mode, definitely the ONLY reason to playComing from Gears 3 I felt like this was a horrible reversal of all the things that made Gears great. So then I stopped seeing this as a Gears game and pretended it was a sequel to Dark Sector, and it suddenly was much more bearable. Too much COD corruption has ruined the pvp, however the Horde Mode 2.0 was the best yet. Tower defense meets beast mode, definitely the ONLY reason to play this game. Hope to see it return in Gears 4. Expand
  31. Mar 21, 2013
    This game is absolutely great. Extremely fun to play, and a memorable addition to the Gears franchise. The campaign was very good, and I enjoyed the ability to play as new characters and to really explore the world of Sera and the COG in a way never before, which satisfied the itch to see a great integration of the Gears universe fleshed out in the books into the games themselves. TheThis game is absolutely great. Extremely fun to play, and a memorable addition to the Gears franchise. The campaign was very good, and I enjoyed the ability to play as new characters and to really explore the world of Sera and the COG in a way never before, which satisfied the itch to see a great integration of the Gears universe fleshed out in the books into the games themselves. The Multiplayer is great, and OverRun is fantastic! Overall a completely fun game to play that is immensely satisfying. Ignore all the BS hate from haters and trolls, the user score is not an accurate indication of the quality of this game. Expand
  32. Mar 28, 2013
    As many other veteran Gears fans have already stated, this latest addition is underwhelming. However it doesn't mean its a bad game outright, though I believe it has no place in the Gears universe. The single/co-op/four player ironically is the best after Gears 1, I do like how People can fly have changed it for the better. The problems though are with the multiplayer, which to many is theAs many other veteran Gears fans have already stated, this latest addition is underwhelming. However it doesn't mean its a bad game outright, though I believe it has no place in the Gears universe. The single/co-op/four player ironically is the best after Gears 1, I do like how People can fly have changed it for the better. The problems though are with the multiplayer, which to many is the reason why we brought it. First the day one micro transactions............ absolutely scandalous! Then the maps, discounting the vastly over-rated over-run there are four maps that I counted where the same map gets replayed over and over until it changes. Then no downs, as the boss guards in MGSPW would say 'WHAT?'! That alone makes certain maps and weapons so unbalanced it's stupid. Then free for all, initially a good premise but with experienced players camping at power weapons spots again there is little balance. Lastly the weapons, I like the Beecher a lot but the old lancer and marzker are way too over powered, plus hit detection is very erratic. All these problems new players won't know or care about, but a vet will be disgusted and frankly I feel I have wasted cash on this. BUT the old Gears of War download was a great touch, but I don't think it has aged very well with several glitches, laggy connections and cheating NOT removed ie crab walking or being invisible in brushes etc. Overall an average game but a extremely poor Gears! Expand
  33. Sep 1, 2013
    Gears of War: Judgement tells the story of Baird and his team, as they are tried for acts of treason against the COG. Judgement's campaign hardly tells a story worth paying any attention to. Instead the campaign throws different combat scenarios at you telling how Kilo squad made it through the fight. If you decide not the do these scenarios, then I would suggest not playing the campaignGears of War: Judgement tells the story of Baird and his team, as they are tried for acts of treason against the COG. Judgement's campaign hardly tells a story worth paying any attention to. Instead the campaign throws different combat scenarios at you telling how Kilo squad made it through the fight. If you decide not the do these scenarios, then I would suggest not playing the campaign because they are the soul reason it is worth playing. The game play has been improved, it is smoother and faster. Team deathmatch and other modes returns to judgement and all are fine. But the new modes free-for-all and overrun modes are definitely good additions. After you complete the campaign a new mode unlocks called Aftermath which is from Gears of War 3. You play as Baird, and it feels more like Gears of War 3 with all of the refinements of Judgement. Gears of War: Judgement feels like it was rushed out so there was one more Gears game out this generation. It has a lot of good things from the series but the things it tries to do new, fall short. Expand
  34. Apr 29, 2013
    Gear Of War Judgment is a prequel to the Gears Of War Trilogy. It explains the back story to the two main support characters from the main series. It is your typical Gears of War game and the mechanics are very much the same as what you experience in the other games. There are some nice new weapons to play with along with some new enemies (some of which I would have liked to have been inGear Of War Judgment is a prequel to the Gears Of War Trilogy. It explains the back story to the two main support characters from the main series. It is your typical Gears of War game and the mechanics are very much the same as what you experience in the other games. There are some nice new weapons to play with along with some new enemies (some of which I would have liked to have been in the other games). The main new feature that really made the game a joy to play were the Declassified missions. Basically when you play the game there are additional challenges you can activate to make the game more challenging. These vary from using certain weapons, harder enemies and reduced visibility but they do add another level to the game. The main campaign is a little short and does not really have any massive Stand Out moments but its solid enough with a decent enough plot.
    I liked the addition of the Aftermath mode which opens up a story that fills in the blanks from Gears of War 3.
    This game is nothing new and so will not bring any new players into the Franchise but will be a welcome addition to the original games. For this reason I cannot give it a truely high score even though it does not do anything bad. The game mechanics are all solid and the AI is decent enough. I did not understand why in Aftermath they seem to have removed the Declassified options as I did honestly miss them once I had played the main campaign through.
    I have not spent much time on the Multiplayer modes and so cannot really review with any depth but the modes are mainly ports from the other games.
  35. Aug 11, 2014
    I really liked the first 3 gears of war games, but this one seemed like a cheap cash grab. The mechanics and gameplay is similar to the others, so in that aspect it's okay, but it seems dull as far as the story, and the fact it's the whole game plays like a survivor mode rather than a story driven game the first three were. move from one area, kill a few waves, move to another kill a fewI really liked the first 3 gears of war games, but this one seemed like a cheap cash grab. The mechanics and gameplay is similar to the others, so in that aspect it's okay, but it seems dull as far as the story, and the fact it's the whole game plays like a survivor mode rather than a story driven game the first three were. move from one area, kill a few waves, move to another kill a few waves. A definite step back from the others. Expand
  36. Aug 4, 2013
    this is easily the most disappointing i have been in a game this year. everything that was great about gears of war 3 which was most things were missing in judgement. lets start the campaign the game had the potential to expand the characters of baird and cole and also explore the initial stages of the locust attack and the brutality that came with it. The story falls short in every waythis is easily the most disappointing i have been in a game this year. everything that was great about gears of war 3 which was most things were missing in judgement. lets start the campaign the game had the potential to expand the characters of baird and cole and also explore the initial stages of the locust attack and the brutality that came with it. The story falls short in every way and often feels forced. it is really short as there is really nothing going on through the whole story. the addition of the challenges are interesting but not capitalized upon and there is nothing really interesting ever going on with the campaign. it is the only gears of war campaign i have not played twice. don't get me started on the ending as well. possibly the worst villain in videogames never any emotion and im not even sure that there is a line of dialogue from this forgettable character.

as for the multiplayer overrun is fantastic and easily the best mode available in this game. it is deep and satisfying with lots of options and interesting maps and specialties available from each class of character.

regular multiplayer on the other hand is a joke 4 maps. really. after about an hour you have already played every map and also the fact that many of the mechanics that made gears multiplayer so unique have been removed.

and the final nail in the coffin for this game was the removal of horde mode. i feel like this game took a lot of risks yet many of them were not justified and it seems as if this series may now struggle to redeem itself. i still love the how the shooting feels in the campaign and the cover to cover system as been tweaked for the better. The game looks stunning and many of the environments are great to look at but that doesn't make a great game.
  37. Apr 13, 2013
    This will be the last Gears of War I play. I could prattle on what made this game less than worth the $60 I paid on the release date, but I won't. Instead I'll just sum it up. 1) Campaign was too damn short and SEVERELY lacking detail and depth 2) Multiplayer just seemed pared down and not nearly as addictive as the previous GOW 3) The "extra campaign" was absolutely not interesting. IThis will be the last Gears of War I play. I could prattle on what made this game less than worth the $60 I paid on the release date, but I won't. Instead I'll just sum it up. 1) Campaign was too damn short and SEVERELY lacking detail and depth 2) Multiplayer just seemed pared down and not nearly as addictive as the previous GOW 3) The "extra campaign" was absolutely not interesting. I felt like I was playing the leftover game play from GOW 3 and 4) to expect me to spend Microsoft points merely to customize my multiplayer character is absolute nonsense.

Overall, this game was dull, repetitive, and pointless. Bah.
  38. Mar 22, 2013
    want to play gears 3 with a worse campaign and content removed? me neither.

want to play gears 3 with a worse campaign and content removed? me neither.

Gears of war judgement is a prequel to the gear of war series, you follow Baird and "kilo" squad in the standard "world is dead/dieing" gears of war campaign. the scenary is nice as unlike gears 1-3 the world isn't quite killed yet you see less dirt and grime, it's nice to see what the gears world looked like before the invasion.

the story is pretty mediocre and same old gears style gameplay, walk a bit, enemies appear, kill them and move on.The declassified missions are the only new and good part to the campaign, which change the game slightly making it a bit harder and different, it's nothing amazing.

there are new weapons, a semi auto sniper, a semi auto locus rifle, a grenade launcher, and stim grenades. the new semi auto cog sniper is AMAZINGLY over powered, be prepaired to kill grinders in 3 headshots (10 shots in a clip) campaign scoring seems to be gone which is terrible, the story is also in complete. for example, in part of the game you arm and fire a giant missile, against a direct order, the colonel states the missile is "going to be used elsewhere" but you never find out where it was intended to be used... many other scenarios play out in the game.

Over run is the new game mode. one team is locust and can use the locust monsters and the other is cog and can use one of 4 classes each having different skills. honestly the game mode is decent but imbalanced. the cog sniper class has the most over powered sniper rifle in almost any game this gen. Locust players can kill the objective by simply shooting at it or widdling down it's health with coordinated ticker attacks or grenade throws... pretty bad.

Remember horde, the game mode everyone loved? well they thought instead of doing that you would want to play over run vs AI. literally that's all it is. half the time if you use the matchmaking for this mode you are thrown in by yourself with useless AI on your team, and I mean useless I rather have a 10 year old kid on my team than the 4 ai characters combined.

oh and there are only 5 maps... 5 maps in total.

some of the older game modes like warzone and execution are gone, speaking of executions there is no real emphasis on them anymore, who cares if that's what started gears of war's popularity right? the down but not out mode is gone in multiplayer so its not like you see them outside of campaign now, they also don't have unlockable ones like in gears 3. no more active reload in multiplayer

can't have a pistol unless you drop one of your primary weapons.

over all, you lose out on this game. gears 2 and 3 are much better games and gears 1 has a better single player anyway. the only thing that give this game a 4 instead of something lower is the game actually works, i had no game breaking bugs, and over run, though broken, is a good game mode in and of itself, the problem is they removed the older stuff for it, they needed a good horde mode a better single player and many other things to bring this up

want to play gears of war? buy the first 3 games, you will save money and get a better game.
  39. Mar 29, 2013
    A solid entry in the series, however it's pretty obvious that Epic Games decided to roll the dice on this one and try some things new with People Can Fly studio. Everything about Gears Judgement feels different from your rule of thumb Gears of War title. Gone are the days of directional pad gun swapping....as a matter of fact, you only get to swap between 2 now using the Y button. GrenadesA solid entry in the series, however it's pretty obvious that Epic Games decided to roll the dice on this one and try some things new with People Can Fly studio. Everything about Gears Judgement feels different from your rule of thumb Gears of War title. Gone are the days of directional pad gun swapping....as a matter of fact, you only get to swap between 2 now using the Y button. Grenades operate a little differently as well, as they are now tossed with the LB button. The enemies are familiar, as are the main characters.....minus their personal flair. While Baird still has his occasional one liners, fan favorite Cole Train is as dry bone as ever. Very rarely does Cole have any witty remarks or funny classical 'Cole' moments. All the charm and charisma that made these characters so attractive in the first place just.....aren't there. I simply don't understand why Epic Games would even think about tampering with a formula that was already perfect to begin with. I feel like this title was really half hearted, and I hope that if this franchise continues towards the next generation of gaming that it corrects it's errors and brings back all of the elements that make Gears of War so great in the first place. Expand
  40. Mar 20, 2013
    Lovable story, tons of new multiplayer modes, and is tougher with the extra mission effects. But the parts are short, Baird and Cole are not funny, and once again the weapons are reused (But the Sawed-off is better.)
  41. Jul 2, 2013
    If you're a fan of Gears of War at all, you will notice a big difference from Judgement to its other very successful predecessors. I did not find the story any where close to engrossing as Gears of War 3 was, the story was comprised of fighting endless waves of enemies and a lot of door kicking. Anyways, lets just say I did not like the story at all. It added a couple new elements such asIf you're a fan of Gears of War at all, you will notice a big difference from Judgement to its other very successful predecessors. I did not find the story any where close to engrossing as Gears of War 3 was, the story was comprised of fighting endless waves of enemies and a lot of door kicking. Anyways, lets just say I did not like the story at all. It added a couple new elements such as mini challenges and a tower defense aspect. Lets move on to the multiplayer, what made Gears of War 3 shine. Once again Judgement does not even meet up to the Gears of War standard we have all set, very few maps and modes. And the only way to get all the new maps of course is to buy a season pass, which I would not recommend. To sum it up, if you're a fan of Gears of War at all and are looking for a new Gears to play don't get this. If you're new to the Gears world and want to shoot stuff and kick doors in, this game is for you, otherwise steer away from this mediocre game. Expand
  42. Mar 19, 2013
    The weakest of the series, i personally hate the more arcade feel of the game. Nothing in this game stand out. In my opinion if you are a fan maybe a buy if you are not a fan just turn around and go play Tomb raider!!
  43. Mar 22, 2013
    This game is a joke to the Gears franchise, there's nothing much more to be said. I am a long time Gears fan. Playing the game ever since I got my first Xbox in 2008. When Judgment was announced, I was excited. I couldn't wait for a new Gears title after been announced that the third instalment would be the last. Oh how I wish Epic games stuck to that word. This game takes everything awayThis game is a joke to the Gears franchise, there's nothing much more to be said. I am a long time Gears fan. Playing the game ever since I got my first Xbox in 2008. When Judgment was announced, I was excited. I couldn't wait for a new Gears title after been announced that the third instalment would be the last. Oh how I wish Epic games stuck to that word. This game takes everything away from what make Gears of War a unique game. Essentially giving the middle finger to long time hardcore and casual gears players. When you think of Gears of War, the aspects that come straight to mind are accelerated game play, intense close quarter battles, brutal executions and just amazing gameplay in general. The multiplier aspect is a camp fest. With players taking the infamous "Call of Duty" approach. Just sit on a ledge with a rifle and wait for your opponent, All skill has been removed from the game without any consideration to long time players. Sure, I am all for new players picking up a game and been able to play but there should be a learning curve. Not just pick up the game for the first time in your life and instantly be able to hold your own against some of the veteran players. That is not what Gears is about. Down but not outs (DBNOs) have been completely removed from the game taking with it the execution rule. Story wise, sure, a prequel sounded like a good idea but why make Baird the lead character for starters. He is the least liked character over the last 3 gears games (taken by polls on forums and other game sites). Why not take it back to Dom growing up or even Coles transition from thrashball player to COG. yes I'm nit picking now but it's just the thoughts I have about this game. my biggest issue with the game though is the control system. For 6 years, the D-pad has been iconic in the Gears play style. allowing instant switching between 3 weapon and a grenade. It worked perfectly. So why has People can Fly suddenly decided to follow the control scheme of pretty much every other shooter out there. The number of time I have hit the left d-pad to switch to the gnasher for close quarters, only to get gunned down by a rifle is ridiculous. Also when I go to check my surroundings, see where my team mates are and where I should be heading has only resulted in throwing my frag grenade. This game is just the classic example of giving a extremely popular game title to a not so well known company and them completely taking everything away from it. It happens when Ninja Theory did Devil may Cry, It kinda happened when 343i did Halo 4 (although that game was a noteworthy sequel story wise). Overall, the game is terrible. It will certainly has no replay value and I think I will stick to Gears of War 3 as my primary shooters. THANK YOU PEOPLE CAN FLY. You have killed the Gears name. Expand
  44. Apr 5, 2013
    As someone who played Gears of War 3 for over 250 hours, I was excited to experience all of the changes Gears of War Judgement was gonna bring to the table. Only problem, there aren't that many! The menus, music, animations, are exactly the same! The only changes they did make, made the game worse! Just save your money and keep playing Gears of War 3.
  45. May 19, 2014
    A failure of an extension to the GoW universe. They tried balancing out the weapons and mechanics but ultimately failed. A mixed stance on the balancing act is the Gnasher. It was nerfed to punish the community for relying too much on it. Instead of playing the game in the way it was originally intended to be, the community ruined the games itself. They kicked back the active reload sinceA failure of an extension to the GoW universe. They tried balancing out the weapons and mechanics but ultimately failed. A mixed stance on the balancing act is the Gnasher. It was nerfed to punish the community for relying too much on it. Instead of playing the game in the way it was originally intended to be, the community ruined the games itself. They kicked back the active reload since most people would drain their first clip in the beginning of the match so they could active reload for the buffs and weapon load-out is limited to two weapons along with grenades.
    There are only 4 agreeable changes among the countless others. They shelved executions and the D.B.N.O system (which speed up matches and respawning but the game loses it's violent grandeur because of the exclusions.) Teamwork and tactics are virtually nonexistent.
    Another tough subject is sensitivity. In most games, sensitivity increases the speed of button input recognition. That's not the case in GoW. Sensitivity directly impacts the speed your character moves at and performs actions with. The defaults make you an unwieldy tank but ratchet it up, and you're a blur of hulking muscle. With high sensitivity, you can quickscope like it's frickin' CoD. It 's an overpowered hidden mechanic that matches generally hinge on.
    I could care less about the story since you have General Not-RAAM running around on a flying Corpser. The new (or should I say old? This is a prequel after all.) don't change the pace that much. Muliplayer is like watered-downed vodka. Sure, it's easier to swallow but you feel like you're missing something. Just rent it.
  46. May 8, 2014
    This is a truly fantastic instalment that managed to meet my high expectations. Taking all the elements that made GOW3 great and pushing it even further. The levels are just stunning and some of the best Iooking yet seen in GOW. There's loads of room for different tactics and experimentation and good variety in the mission structures. I liked the star system alot, as it made coming back toThis is a truly fantastic instalment that managed to meet my high expectations. Taking all the elements that made GOW3 great and pushing it even further. The levels are just stunning and some of the best Iooking yet seen in GOW. There's loads of room for different tactics and experimentation and good variety in the mission structures. I liked the star system alot, as it made coming back to the game very compelling in an old school 'gotta get a perfect score' way. People Can Fly have demonstrated they were the right studio to work alongside Epic. Expand
  47. Nov 19, 2013
    I would go into a novel of a review like I did with Halo 4 but this game doesn't even deserve that much.

Do not buy this game and if you have then use it to go towards a trade in for a game that really cares about its core players. If you like Horde then don't bother with it. Many are already disappointed by this game and I am as well. This game is just Epic trying to earn extra

This game is just Epic trying to earn extra bucks for a popular series.
    Don't get me wrong I really love all gears of war games, but this one is garbage.
    The story sucks. And so does the MP.

This game does not deserve the title "gears of war" it more deserves to be called "The adventures of Baird and friends".

I wasted alot of time on this game that I'm never going to get back. Thanks for selling the fans a game that should've been a DLC for the first gears and the Aftermath story to be a DLC for Gears 3.

Way to come out with a Leaky Garbage Xbox Exclusive before the Next Gen Consoles arrive Epic!
  48. Aug 28, 2016
    The campaign is fun and innovative, and the new weapons are fun to use. Unfortunately, the multiplayer is absolutely atrocious. No Horde mode, no DBNO, no actives, no classic gametypes sans Execution, no COG v Locust, and the game shipped with only four maps?! FOUR?! Absolutely unforgivable for a AAA title of this pedigree. It's easy to see why the Gears community almost unanimously shunsThe campaign is fun and innovative, and the new weapons are fun to use. Unfortunately, the multiplayer is absolutely atrocious. No Horde mode, no DBNO, no actives, no classic gametypes sans Execution, no COG v Locust, and the game shipped with only four maps?! FOUR?! Absolutely unforgivable for a AAA title of this pedigree. It's easy to see why the Gears community almost unanimously shuns this game. Gears of War 3 was a beautiful masterpiece. This is not a beautiful masterpiece. This is Gears of War's mentally handicapped stepchild. Expand
  49. Mar 23, 2013
    (EPIC CASH GRAB: Lag and Disappointment) should have been the title for this turd. Gears of war is my favorite game series this generation. With that being said this title is a total cash grab and an embarassment to the series. Your basically paying $60 for half a game then expected to fork over another $20 for the other half in a month or so. Four maps on disc for mplayer in a AAA(EPIC CASH GRAB: Lag and Disappointment) should have been the title for this turd. Gears of war is my favorite game series this generation. With that being said this title is a total cash grab and an embarassment to the series. Your basically paying $60 for half a game then expected to fork over another $20 for the other half in a month or so. Four maps on disc for mplayer in a AAA title is a total joke. The maps are decent but the entire drop in from above concept is totally at odds with a cover based shooter. The new weapons are fun to use but the marksa is really cheap in the hands of a good sniper because of the amount of ammo in the clips. Overrun is fun but feels unfinished-like there could have been more added to make it more balanced and technical but the developers said screw it it's good enough. The competitive multiplayer is a total joke. It's clear the second you realize everyone can spawn with frags and have shotguns with a shield this game is a total noobfest. Anything that required skill and thinking in past games is now completely removed, even the quick reload WTF!! The removal of locusts was also done for the sole purpose of milking players into buying skins for cog armor. Everything about multiplayer just feels off. Even the gnasher shotgun feels...slightly wrong like the hit detection isn't quite right. Survival is the best thing about this game. This is the only mode with minimal lag, a decent challenge, and most importantly FUN! Guess what- it's also the mode with the least experience points for play and not included in the VIP playlist at this time. Every other mode I played is so full of bouts of LAG that the game is nearly unplayable. Every game save for Gears 3 was laggy but this one is the worst since Gears 2's mess of an online mode. After four games there's no excuse other than the developers just don't care, and why should they people keep shoveling money into the series so they keep copy pasting their net code. The campaign does get some things right by including the Declassified missions and bringing back the tone of the first game. Gore and horror themes are what started the series before it trailed off into the lame generic environments from later titles. That said the story is short and pretty unremarkable, doing nothing to further the series canon in any way. This title was supposed to be a love letter to die hard gears fans, instead it's a slap in the face. Taking away nearly everything we love about a series and charging full price for half a game full of lag is just unacceptable. You can tell a REAL hardcore gears fan from a casual player just by the reviews you see on this site. I'm ditching this game in a couple weeks for Defiance and hoping for a better experience. After this Epic has it's work cut out for it in winning back my affection for this series.... I gave the game a 3 which is honestly the amount of effort I feel was put into this terrible title. For everyone else who thinks they are getting a great deal here, you are part of the problem... Expand
  50. Dec 13, 2013
    This game is obviously the best gears released so far. I do not think the single player is anything special but for gears I never have, but I can play the multiplayer for hours at a time. This is simply one of my favorite games and if the single player kept my attention it would have got a 10
  51. Mar 22, 2013
    A solid/fun experience. The campaign is entertaining but shallow, placing you in short gunfights and presenting you with a score afterwords. There is a narrative being told in-between the battles, and I like the idea of what Epic is doing here, but the story too comes off lacking any real depth. The controls have been improved, updated if you will, and it makes the MP all the more exciting.
  52. Mar 21, 2013
    I bought a 360 for Gears of War I way back when, and have always been a huge fan (despite the horrible multiplayer in II), but was skeptical of this one. The story is decent enough for a Gears game and the gunplay is pretty much unchanged, other than the ommison of the gun wheel and ability to carry two primary weapons with a pistol, which is a questionable choice. The campaign'sI bought a 360 for Gears of War I way back when, and have always been a huge fan (despite the horrible multiplayer in II), but was skeptical of this one. The story is decent enough for a Gears game and the gunplay is pretty much unchanged, other than the ommison of the gun wheel and ability to carry two primary weapons with a pistol, which is a questionable choice. The campaign's declassify missions are fun and a nice addition, but the length makes it out to be a more of a glorified DLC than a stand alone title. The multiplayer sadly has none of what made Gears great. Gone is Horde, replaced by the pedestrian Survival and Overrun modes, and the ability to execute opponents. The abscence of the wheel is felt more online where you start only with one gun and a pistol and your choice of grenade. Personally, this game feels more like a strange generic hybrid trying to be Gears of War. Expand
  53. Mar 26, 2013
    This game had a great campaign that fits into the GOW franchise as a prequel. I thought they did really well with the story and how you play as Baird. The aftermath campaign they added makes it even nicer, which shows you where Baird and Cole actually go to in GOW 3 when Marcus tell them to go get reinforcements. The multiplayer is ok and can be fun at times. I never really got into theThis game had a great campaign that fits into the GOW franchise as a prequel. I thought they did really well with the story and how you play as Baird. The aftermath campaign they added makes it even nicer, which shows you where Baird and Cole actually go to in GOW 3 when Marcus tell them to go get reinforcements. The multiplayer is ok and can be fun at times. I never really got into the multiplayer for gears except for horde mode on 3. Survival mode is not as good but its ok, but overrun is pretty fun. Overall great game and if you like gears you must check it out! Expand
  54. Jun 19, 2013
    Gears Of War: Judgment doesn't deserve to be called a game rather than an extremely overpriced DLC. The campaign was extremely short, Survival is nothing like Horde, and multiplayer is awful.

The campaign was the best part about the game. It provided some challenge and it stayed fun with the optional side objectives. I'll give that a 7. Multiplayer has never been Gears' strong side

Multiplayer has never been Gears' strong side and it got even worse here. It was boring, to be exact. 3

Survival and Overrun. They got rid of Horde, the for sure best part of Gears of War 3. No building fortifications or raking in cash and using it strategically. Survival isn't fun I played it twice. Overrun is decent but gets old quick.

Overall 4

Story 7
    Multiplayer 3
    Overrun and Survival 4

You dissapointed me, Epic.
  55. Mar 31, 2013
    As somebody who is a very casual Gears of War fan, I thought i'd go out of my way and give this game a try, given how much I like Gears of War 3 and its predecessors. The game really doesn't do much to change things up, same gameplay and multiplayer. What did change however, is the story and survival modes. What I like about the campaign is that it's told in many different people'sAs somebody who is a very casual Gears of War fan, I thought i'd go out of my way and give this game a try, given how much I like Gears of War 3 and its predecessors. The game really doesn't do much to change things up, same gameplay and multiplayer. What did change however, is the story and survival modes. What I like about the campaign is that it's told in many different people's perspective, which is very interesting. However I don't like the changes made in survival modes. First off, they took out Horde mode. What...? This game mode has risen to huge fame since Gears of War 2 and was turned into a masterpiece in Gears of War 3, and now you take it out. Well in fact they put in a new game mode, which I can't remember the name of, but you're basically defending this cheaply made base that is easy to destroy and hard to defend, a huge letdown if you ask me. They kept the beast mode game type (Now called Overrun) which I still have mixed feelings about, due to the fact that I wasn't a big fan in the first place. In short, if you like the Gears of War series, get this game, if you're casual like me, don't. Expand
  56. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is very strange, being a prequel you already know the outcome, your guys survive and move on. I am not a fan of prequels because they don't add much to the storyline of the franchise. The layout is odd, giving you stars for completing sections of each single player level. The storyline is broken up way too much causing problems with fluidity. Play for 5 minites stop play for 5This game is very strange, being a prequel you already know the outcome, your guys survive and move on. I am not a fan of prequels because they don't add much to the storyline of the franchise. The layout is odd, giving you stars for completing sections of each single player level. The storyline is broken up way too much causing problems with fluidity. Play for 5 minites stop play for 5 more. I do appreciate them keeping a boss battle at the end of the game, too many games dump these out now, they are fun. Overall it doesn't do much for the franchise, the story relies on minor characters from the first 3 to take the lead, they don't succeed. There is also an extra level that adds storyline to gears 3 that should have been released as a gears 3 dlc and not something added into a totally different game. Expand
  57. May 4, 2013
    IN MY OPINION, Gears of War Judgment is the worst game in the series. WHY? overall the game is a shallow experience, missions are repetiiive, each testimony has 6 sections and every single section feels the same. At the end of every Testimony you have to defeat 2-3 waves of enemies which makes it repetitive and boring. As for the story, well there is not really much to say but on theIN MY OPINION, Gears of War Judgment is the worst game in the series. WHY? overall the game is a shallow experience, missions are repetiiive, each testimony has 6 sections and every single section feels the same. At the end of every Testimony you have to defeat 2-3 waves of enemies which makes it repetitive and boring. As for the story, well there is not really much to say but on the other hand Aftermath is a really fun addition to the game i really enjoyed it. Although the game does some things right, gameplay is solid like in every Gears of War. Last thing that Gear of War does right is the multiplayer, probably the most enjoyable multiplayer i have ever played. If you want to buy Gears of War: Judgement, you should definitely give it a try because it's really deep and fun if you are playing with you buddies. Overall, Gears of War: Judgement is a fun game with a boring story, deep multiplayer and solid gameplay. I would recommend it only for hardcore Gears of War fans. Expand
  58. Mar 25, 2013
    I am a hardcore Gears fan. I think we all knew that Cog of Duty: Gnasher Warfare Judgment wouldn't live up to it's hype of being the surprise next gears of war after the trilogy ended. But I think we all secretly hoped that it would have been better than the developers were telling us and that the game would actually be fun.

Cog Of Duty: Gnasher Warefare Judgment is a gears let down,

Cog Of Duty: Gnasher Warefare Judgment is a gears let down, cookie cutter of call of duty with a gears of war paintjob. And I can't really say the description of this game fits anything but that. So much originality taken out and so little put in. The list goes on from things that People can Fly have taken out.
    The highlights of these are: secondary shotguns, grenade sticking, downs and executions, horde mode, beast mode, active reload, the list goes on. Multiplayer is so bland and so boring. I haven't played multiplayer this boring since... Since... Ok, this is THE most boring multiplayer I have every played. The multiplayer is extreeeeeemely unbalanced since you can only have 1 primary weapon iether shotguns or assault rifles. Did PCF even play the original gears? WTF? Though I have to say it makes for some pretty funny gameplay when you see every one with a lancer get dodged out by someone with a gnasher and will walk up to them hit b to stun and BLAUUUUUUULA!!!! If you use anything but the gnasher you're screwed. It's more overpowered then previous gears! Since there are no downs and b melee takes you down to half health and since downs are out you die in 1 hit but the gnasher from 20 feet away that is if the enemy can even get away from you. If you use the gnasher, you win. Did I also mention it's humans vs humans now? Locusts were removed in multiplayer... Since there are only 4 game modes now the game gets even more boring. And you don't want to go back to the menu because the menu music makes you want to blow your brains out.

Overrun is extremely unbalanced too! Locust win every time, Baird's sentry turret is way OP. Locust regenerate health, if you have a mauler on your team you win, the list can go on. Gears of War promised 1 step forward but took at least 50 steps back.. Very dissopointed, not worth the trouble to get up off your couch from playing good games to go to the store to buy this pile of s***.
  59. Jun 23, 2013
    “Boooom!” shouts the oversized Locust trooper as he fires off another round at COG lieutenant, Damon Baird and the members of Kilo Squad. This is an all-to-familiar site for anyone who has played any of the Gears of War games. Your team is bunkered down in cover, quickly popping-up to fire off a few rounds into a ticker or wretch. There are enemies everywhere, you keep bouncing from one“Boooom!” shouts the oversized Locust trooper as he fires off another round at COG lieutenant, Damon Baird and the members of Kilo Squad. This is an all-to-familiar site for anyone who has played any of the Gears of War games. Your team is bunkered down in cover, quickly popping-up to fire off a few rounds into a ticker or wretch. There are enemies everywhere, you keep bouncing from one spot to another, and the intensity is at 11! It’s Gears, but is not Gears all at the same time. You know how to play and what the story is all about, but some things have changed, have they changed for the better?
    Enter Gears of War: Judgment, the fourth title in the Gears series and a prequel to the original Gears. This time Epic Studios have put developer People Can Fly at the reigns of their beloved franchise. In an effort to appeal to the modern shooter fan they’ve made some minor control changes and some major design changes to the multi-player. The question is, does it make for a better Gears game or will long-time fans not be happy with some of the choices that have been made?

Read the full review at www.GameFan365.com
  60. Mar 23, 2013
    The campaign with its introduction of 'declassified missions' and new method of storytelling is by far the best one since 2. However, the multiplayer unit as it stands only comes with 4 versus maps and 4 overrun maps, a rather weak package. Two free maps come out in April, and six are included in the season pass, but comparatively to 3, this is still minimal. A few changes for the better,The campaign with its introduction of 'declassified missions' and new method of storytelling is by far the best one since 2. However, the multiplayer unit as it stands only comes with 4 versus maps and 4 overrun maps, a rather weak package. Two free maps come out in April, and six are included in the season pass, but comparatively to 3, this is still minimal. A few changes for the better, a few changes for the worse. Not the best Gears, but does enough different that its worth an investment. Expand
  61. Mar 23, 2013
    I though this Gears game was a lot more fluid than previous games. The mechanics to me seemed smoother and for once in multiplayer when I actually shot people they died. Which didn't happen a lot in other Gears games if you used a Lancer. Overall I was a bit shocked to see such low scores. The single player campaign narrative wasn't my style, just get on with it. But the new weaponsI though this Gears game was a lot more fluid than previous games. The mechanics to me seemed smoother and for once in multiplayer when I actually shot people they died. Which didn't happen a lot in other Gears games if you used a Lancer. Overall I was a bit shocked to see such low scores. The single player campaign narrative wasn't my style, just get on with it. But the new weapons seemed to fit, I thought they might seem out of place with it being a prequel. The Declassified missions seemed more like a gimmick than anything, but does add a bit of replay value to a mission. I think they have done a good job overall in making the game flow a lot better. Expand
  62. Mar 20, 2013
    When it comes to prequels, my expectations are lowered as I know I'm buying an inferior product compared to games like Gears 2 & 3 and this rains true with judgment. There is no sense of camaraderie with your squad, character like Colonel Loomis, Sofia and Paduk are underdeveloped and you don't really care about them, many of the declassified missions are recycled throughout the campaignWhen it comes to prequels, my expectations are lowered as I know I'm buying an inferior product compared to games like Gears 2 & 3 and this rains true with judgment. There is no sense of camaraderie with your squad, character like Colonel Loomis, Sofia and Paduk are underdeveloped and you don't really care about them, many of the declassified missions are recycled throughout the campaign making it a chore rather than having fun and the final boss fight is anti-climatic and lacks a sense of challenge. It's like the voice actors from the original gears games decide to spend an afternoon with People Can Fly to do some recording and that's it. It's just odd seeing less smart ass remarks from Baird and Coletrain being awfully quiet through most of the 5-6hr campaign. The whole Cog vs Cog alienates fans of gears as the only opportunity to play as the locust is in the games overrun mode and the fact that most of the game's unlocks are microtransactions is a big disappointment. I can see some buying this as a $20-$30 purchase but not full price. It doesn't feel like Gears and it's title is just slapped on the cover just to make a quick buck. Expand
  63. Mar 24, 2013
    I am so glad this was only a rental for me, because I would of felt cheated of my money. The biggest problem with this game is content, there isn't hardly any! There are more weapon and armour skins for sale then there is to unlock! Microsoft have shamelessly overcharged for something that already exists on the disk and it costs more than the season pass! The gameplay feels samey, whichI am so glad this was only a rental for me, because I would of felt cheated of my money. The biggest problem with this game is content, there isn't hardly any! There are more weapon and armour skins for sale then there is to unlock! Microsoft have shamelessly overcharged for something that already exists on the disk and it costs more than the season pass! The gameplay feels samey, which would not be a bad thing but the story is so sub-par it feels like this should of been a 1600 MS points addon for gears 3! This is what happens to good games when the creative directer is no longer working on them. I got this to fill the gap between getting Bioshock Infinite, but it never did. Expand
  64. Aug 3, 2013
    this game is a disgrace to gears of war and is basicly a retarded version of halo I hate the gears of war series because it is a copycat of halo and resident evil
  65. Sep 18, 2014
    This is a fun game. It's a nice change of pace from the previous Gears of War games and as much as I love the series this one stands out a bit different then the other games. If you like the other Gears games I highly recommend this to you.
  66. Mar 19, 2013
    In this review, I will be reviewing the Multiplayer side of this game only. Now, lets get down to business. We all know about the new additions to MP, such as Overrun and Free For All. I have to say, Overrun is very fun and addicting. However, I do think that Horde should have been thrown in as well. Survival Mode, which is supposed to be the sort-of equivalent of Horde, does not live upIn this review, I will be reviewing the Multiplayer side of this game only. Now, lets get down to business. We all know about the new additions to MP, such as Overrun and Free For All. I have to say, Overrun is very fun and addicting. However, I do think that Horde should have been thrown in as well. Survival Mode, which is supposed to be the sort-of equivalent of Horde, does not live up to Horde. Everyone enjoyed hopping online with their friends and going until 4 in the morning trying to reach level 50. Why screw around with that? That being said, Overrun does help make up for Horde's absence. The mechanics of Overrun are simple and fun. Moving on to the versus aspect of MP, I must get this out of the way: 4 maps is NOT ENOUGH. While I realize that Overrun has two maps to itself, 4 is not even close to enough for MP. Gears 3 had 10 maps, and that was the perfect number. Why was the number scaled back? Surely it couldn't have been for a lack of room. While this doesn't bore me right now, I can see myself getting very tired of these maps in the weeks to come. The problem is is that there just isn't enough. A couple of other things that annoy me: the removal of Down But Not Out and the revival aspect, the inability to carry a shotgun and a lancer, the new "spotter" grenades, and the Cog on Cog action makes it tough at time to single out your enemies. Now, all of that being said, Gears of War Judgment does get a lot of things right. The map design is, as always, magnificent. The maps are now layered and vertical. I think they are the perfect size. Furthermore, the addition of the moving set pieces on the maps adds an interesting layer that was absent in previous Gears maps. Also, I prefer the new respawn sytsem. There's nothing more boring than sitting at a respawn screen waiting to get back in. I came to play the game, not sit and wait. The ability to carry a grenade on your person is a welcome addition but seeing as it replaces your shotgun secondary it peeves me. Some things are tried and true in video games. Why did they feel the need to screw around with that. The action is fast paced and the graphics are pretty amazing. I think this is the current generation of console being stretched to its limits. Wrapping up, I feel that Gears of War Judgment could have very well been a great game. However, its shortcomings really do hold it back. The 4 maps thing seems like a ploy to get more people to buy their Season Pass, which REALLY irks me. For that, I give Judgment a "Good" 7 out of 10. Expand
  67. Mar 25, 2013
    People Can Fly did great and I can see them getting better and better at it. I am an avid Bulletstorm lover. So I've played GOW 1, 2, 3, and now Judgement. I'm mostly a campaign player, not a big MP player. I love the Gears world and have enjoyed every game including now Judgement. I won't agree that this installment has lost the GOW soul, it's just different so it's going to make aPeople Can Fly did great and I can see them getting better and better at it. I am an avid Bulletstorm lover. So I've played GOW 1, 2, 3, and now Judgement. I'm mostly a campaign player, not a big MP player. I love the Gears world and have enjoyed every game including now Judgement. I won't agree that this installment has lost the GOW soul, it's just different so it's going to make a lot of hardcore GOW fans mad. I like the control modifications they have made and if it's a little more like COD controls, so what? I for one am glad it's not as difficult as GOW1 (which was hard as hell on Casual) and possibly is a little easier than 2 and 3 too. Play on Insane if you want that ultimate challenge, but my playthroughs on Normal were really fun with some really furious shootouts, and the end boss fight against Karn was cool also! I'm going to try Hardcore mode next. OK, the locust AI should have been a little smarter, each episodic mission piece should have been a little longer (most were only 5 to 10 minutes it seemed), and they missed out on great dialogue possibilities from Baird and Cole which really surprised me so I'm knocking 2 points down for those misses but hey it's more GOW, it doesn't suck, and I personally hope they keep doing them. Expand
  68. Jul 23, 2013
    I am not normally a person that likes to complain about games check my reviews most of my reviews are positive but this game is just terrible i have known die hard fans of the series that have given up on playing gears of war altogether after playing this so do not buy this game trust me if you want a gears of war then get gears of war but not this one
  69. Apr 15, 2013
    As a long time fan of the series I must say that this is like Halo/Cod. They took away DBNO (Down but not out) they took away the option to have 2 primary weapons at the same time. The campaign was ok, but nothing really special happened, and the characters were crap. Plays almost like the other games in the gears series but feels more "arcadey" The story was lacking even more so than theAs a long time fan of the series I must say that this is like Halo/Cod. They took away DBNO (Down but not out) they took away the option to have 2 primary weapons at the same time. The campaign was ok, but nothing really special happened, and the characters were crap. Plays almost like the other games in the gears series but feels more "arcadey" The story was lacking even more so than the other games. The multiplayer is just god awful, they took everything good from the other games and scrapped it. There isn't anything I like about the multiplayer at all. The game got boring quick and even though the campaign was OK it doesn't save the game in itself. As painful for it is for me to say I just think this game sucks and should of finished with Gears 3. So if you are in to the overratednes of Call of Duty games, then by all means go and buy this, but if you hate Call of Duty then I wouldn't recommend this to you as this is just a third person version of that. If you do not know this already, you might want to know that the multiplayer is no longer Cog vs Locust, it is now just like halo in that aspect with it's Cog vs Cog (red vs blue) kind of feels like a step down in my opinion. R.I.P Gears of War Expand
  70. Jan 21, 2014
    This game is a huge disappointment, but it's not a crime against humanity like most Gears of War fans seem to believe. It has it's highs and lows, and when it does something well, it's sure to amaze. On the other side of the spectrum, there are sadly a lot of bad things to this game as well, and these will surely be a major deterrent.

Let's start with the bad. The game does not have a

Let's start with the bad. The game does not have a traditional campaign mode like we Gears fans have come to expect/treasure, and it's also pitifully/mercifully short. The new characters are terrible and poorly fleshed out, and Baird and Cole share absolutely no banter. During firefights, you're squad does not shout anything or joke around like they used to. Also, the multiplayer is downright pitiful, a disgrace to the Gears of War franchise, with only 4 maps, and it's all human v. human. That being said, the new survival mode is a welcome addition, but this mode also replaces the much beloved Horde Mode, which was a major selling point in the series.

Now for the good. This game has stellar graphics, some of the best we've seen on the Xbox 360. Also, the A.I. is amazing and this game provides some of the best gameplay in the series. Also, the second campaign, Aftermath, is a fresh, fantastic, and welcome addition.

But that being said, this game is overall a mediocre experience, lacking the heart that drove the rest of the series forward into glory.
  71. Mar 24, 2013
    I went into Gears of War: Judgment with high hopes but after playing the multiplayer for countless hours, I just can't reccomend this game. First, there are only 4 maps to play on. Just 4! It is like they did it on purpose so that people will buy the season pass to get more maps. The weapons have been dumbed down so much. The Gnasher is nowhere near the level it was in any of the previousI went into Gears of War: Judgment with high hopes but after playing the multiplayer for countless hours, I just can't reccomend this game. First, there are only 4 maps to play on. Just 4! It is like they did it on purpose so that people will buy the season pass to get more maps. The weapons have been dumbed down so much. The Gnasher is nowhere near the level it was in any of the previous Gears games. The gameplay feels overall just not as good as Gears 3. Nothing has changed that much with this game. They took out what made Gears, Gears (DBNO, Locust vs human battles) and replaced it with elements that just don't fit. As much as I want to reccomend this game, I just can't. It is more like an expansion with the good taken out of the game. Save your cash, this game is not worth it. I will probably trade my copy in shortly. Expand
  72. Mar 25, 2013
    Mmmmm. What happened here. The Gears trilogy was a fantastic experience. Meaty shooting and an excellent cover system. Something is just not right with this new Gears and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe the way the story is told. Each chapter is broken into 'mini' chapters which really break up the narrative. It turns into simply shoot for a few moments and then walk to theMmmmm. What happened here. The Gears trilogy was a fantastic experience. Meaty shooting and an excellent cover system. Something is just not right with this new Gears and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe the way the story is told. Each chapter is broken into 'mini' chapters which really break up the narrative. It turns into simply shoot for a few moments and then walk to the checkpoint and get your score. I'm really not liking this game at the moment. I'll finish it, but I'm not getting a Gears experience like it did with the previous games. Expand
  73. Mar 19, 2013
    Gears Of War: Judgment is Epic Game's and People Can Fly's way to say goodbye to the current generation Xbox. It's gorgeous, Unreal Engine 3 at it's peak. The flawless third person cover shooter mechanics that Gears Of War is known for are back, however it's much more faster paced. The campaign last for a good 7-10 hours with the Aftermath campaign as a bonus and the campaign is muchGears Of War: Judgment is Epic Game's and People Can Fly's way to say goodbye to the current generation Xbox. It's gorgeous, Unreal Engine 3 at it's peak. The flawless third person cover shooter mechanics that Gears Of War is known for are back, however it's much more faster paced. The campaign last for a good 7-10 hours with the Aftermath campaign as a bonus and the campaign is much better paced this time around with different gameplay scenarios. Aftermath tells the story of what happened to Baird and Cole when they and Marcus's group split because they go and search for reinforcements. Mutiplayer, once again is satisfying and rewarding. This time with Epic Price Boxes, that give the game a TF2 kind of feel. Multiplayer has less modes overall, but they are refined and well done. There's also not going to be as much of a problem finding matches than there were before when there were so many gamemodes that nobody necessarily played. Overrun is the biggest and newest addition to the multiplayer. Class based Locust VS. COG action. It's well balanced and everybody needs to play their role, whether it's the engineer keeping fortifications up and in good condition or medic keeping everybody alive. Overall Judgment is a neat package that every Gears fan needs in their library and if you've never played a Gears game before, this is the right game to start from. It takes place the furthest back in the timeline so you wouldn't be missing anything. Expand
  74. Mar 26, 2013
    What a great, well-crafted, fun game. If one is open to the GoW aesthetic, it is hard for me to imagine one not believing this is the greatest of the series. Imo, the best game of 2013 so far. The graphics are sharp, the multiplayer is a riot, and the game is fun. Period. No apologies: This is the best GoW by about ten yards.
  75. Mar 26, 2013
    Judgement seems to have moved far away from the original GOW and some elements seem to have started to get dumbed-down to cater for casual non-gamers. Only being able to hold 2 guns, changing them by pressing Y and throwing grenades with LB are changes that are ruining what GOW was. However the combat is the best so far, the graphics are very good, the story is good and the multi-playerJudgement seems to have moved far away from the original GOW and some elements seem to have started to get dumbed-down to cater for casual non-gamers. Only being able to hold 2 guns, changing them by pressing Y and throwing grenades with LB are changes that are ruining what GOW was. However the combat is the best so far, the graphics are very good, the story is good and the multi-player is addictive. It would have been a higher score but the small changes are holding it back. Expand
  76. Mar 21, 2013
    I went into this game with average expectations based on some of the reviews, but what i found on the multiplayer side of things was worse than I thought. First off let me state that I am a huge Gears fan, it is probably my favorite franchise this gen. When I hopped online in Judgment it didnt even feel like I was playing Gears of War. The removal of DBNO, no locust, only one main weapon,I went into this game with average expectations based on some of the reviews, but what i found on the multiplayer side of things was worse than I thought. First off let me state that I am a huge Gears fan, it is probably my favorite franchise this gen. When I hopped online in Judgment it didnt even feel like I was playing Gears of War. The removal of DBNO, no locust, only one main weapon, starting out with grenades, and all these juvenile armor skins just made me dislike this game. The multiplayer feels nothing like traditional Gears and maybe that is because they took out everything that made it unique in the first place. I have played around 40 or so matches and I havent had that much fun at all. The online right now is littered with people camping with the Markza because of the newly designed verticality, the Gnasher is very weak, and the aiming in general feels off compared to Gears 3. Also the maps in my opinion are bad. The non-symmetrical layout doesn't play well and I miss the symmetrical layouts all prior Gears games had. One other major problem I have is without locust you cannot tell if the person behind you is a teammate or an enemy. I cannot count how many times baird is yelling behind me and i think it is a teammate only to find out it wasn't and I get retro stabbed. It is too confusing at times having all these cog run around. Also ONLY 4 MAPS! How can you possibly only have 4 maps at launch and think your hardcore fans would be okay with that, its ridiculous. Also the lack of characters is inexcusable as well, and most of the gun camos you have to purchase. I personally hate all the gun and skin camos, i think they make a game feel to arcadey and childish. Overrun though, is a great addition. I have had quite a bit of fun with my friends on this but it might get stale after awhile because it only has 4 maps as well. The campaign isnt great but it isnt bad. It has some cool new additions like declassified missions but these also can ruin the flow of the narrative a little bit. Overall the campaign is solid but lacks on the story side of things, but it will keep you entertained for the 6-8 hours it takes you. Also the additional aftermath campaign is a nice addition. Overall I just feel they dropped the ball on this game. It is by no means unplayable, but in the Gears universe i feel like it strayed too far from what made it unique. It loses some of that appeal for me and I just hope they mae another Gears for next gen that will feel more like prior Gears games. Expand
  77. May 21, 2013
    If you are looking for another Gears of War game, don't buy this one because it isn't. Bought it on release day being a die hard GOW fan. Tried campaign, almost threw up because of how bad it was. Tried multiplayer, definitely threw up. The Dev's decided to put a bunch of weapons around the map instead of the simply power weapons of the previous installments and original. Oh yeah, NOIf you are looking for another Gears of War game, don't buy this one because it isn't. Bought it on release day being a die hard GOW fan. Tried campaign, almost threw up because of how bad it was. Tried multiplayer, definitely threw up. The Dev's decided to put a bunch of weapons around the map instead of the simply power weapons of the previous installments and original. Oh yeah, NO GNASHER SECONDARY. Don't buy this game. I hate to say it, but the moment Cliffy B left EPIC this game was bound to fail hard. Expand
  78. Apr 23, 2013
    Pros:
    Its a gears game- nowadays its nearly impossible to ruin a gears game. Its fun, crazy, fast-paced, and gory. What is not to love?
    Campaign- 4 player co-op locust one heckuva good time, grab a few drinks, sit down with some buddies and play through it. You won't be disappointed. Survival- this is the best gametype in the game by far. Multiplayer doesn't have the COG vs Locust
    Pros:

Survival- this is the best gametype in the game by far. Multiplayer doesn't have the COG vs Locust anymore, and it feels wrong to kill other gears (unless you are the locust), so I usually gravitate to this playlist. The class limitations can be annoying, but it takes skill to master them all.

Cons:
    Skins- good lord people, how many boxes of experience before I simply break the disc in frustration? I can literally earn hundreds of boxes and all of them be experience while my buddy plays two games and gets a copper/chrome/gold skin from the get-go. Yeah, this unlock system is terrible.

Weapons- gnasher gib-fest...every...single...game...Spawn, rush, gnasher, die, rinse, repeat...Oh and who even uses the hammerburst anymore? You'll be sniped dead by a gnasher by the time you raise your weapon to aim down the sights.

Overrun- fun as heck, but come on, the COG is no fun to play, and everybody wants to be the locust. Just a trivial thing, but a similar point unlock system as the locust would've been nice.
  79. Mar 20, 2013
    Same old Gears of War, in fact that is not so bad, because you know the basis of the game are enternaining, but is like to play same old Gears games only whit minor graphics improvement the story feels like its only there to have an excuse to make another game in this trilogy, there is not a single emotional moment like in previous instalments. Being a fan since the first Gears am aSame old Gears of War, in fact that is not so bad, because you know the basis of the game are enternaining, but is like to play same old Gears games only whit minor graphics improvement the story feels like its only there to have an excuse to make another game in this trilogy, there is not a single emotional moment like in previous instalments. Being a fan since the first Gears am a little disapointed whit this game..... if u ask me, Judgment is to Gears the same thing that ODST was to Halo, a sad, sad try to squeeze money from our pockets just offering a poor and mediocre game. Shame on you Epic games..... (T_T) Expand
  80. Mar 20, 2013
    First off, I don't believe this game deserves a 10. I'm rating it a 10 to combat the 0's and 1's who can't handle change.

Let me begin by stating that this, in its own right, is a great game. Every battle is unique, I've died on one part and when I retried, it was a completely different set of enemies that attacked. That's a huge plus you need to be able to actually use weapons and their strengths/weaknesses to your advantage instead of spraying and praying (I'm talking hardcore+ not on easy of course). I've seen reviews say that you're not supposed to use cover as much as previous games. I don't know if I necessarily believe this as I've used cover as much if not more than previous games, especially using the sniper rifle. Again, true to the roots.

Secondly, the game is a prequel and designed to be a filler in the Gears series, it's not really a main numbered entry. I get it, I understand how you all don't want things to change, but come on. This was a great filler into the back stories of Cole and Baird, plus two new intriguing characters. There's also a kind of continuation of Gears 3 once you obtain enough stars. Thirdly, the multiplayer is pretty cool. I like the mode overrun and the objective based modes in this game. Once you play the campaign through on Hardcore+, you have a decent understanding of what most weapons do, their strengths/weaknesses, and this definitely helps in multiplayer. Listen, games change, developers change, and ultimately, whether you like it or not, it is all about making that money for the company who produces and releases the game. We, as fans, are lucky they continue to make more entries to our favorite series.

If the company continues to rehash what they've been doing without introducing new elements, everyone is going to complain just as much, probably more. People want shoot-em-up's, people want achievements, people want something to strive for. The company just added that in to maximize market potential. It's life. Halo changed, Metroid changed, Zelda changed, Mario changed, Final Fantasy changed, all franchises change to sell games. It's a part of video game life. The only franchise that hasn't is Call of Duty and everyone complains how that's "THE SAME GAME WITH DIFFERENT GUNS AND MAPS" too. I swear, you all will find something to nitpick and complain about everything.

The only thing that bothers me about this game's campaign is how choppy it is. I hate the storyline being broken up by my accumulation of stars. I hate the declassify thing, albeit I can see why they added it, but it really adds to the arcade-choppy feel of the game. And without them, you barely get one star per. This is the only aspect of the game that I can say made me want to turn and run. The rest is brilliant.

This is a good game. If you liked any of the series and want to learn more about Cole and Baird while getting an action-packed ride, pick this up.

81. Apr 16, 2013
    Ever since the first game came out i have been in love with the gears franchise, it was an eye opener for many and there have been countless others to duplicate it (ex. Special forces team X). They had a good thing going, their sequels weren't going to great, but finally they aced it. EXCEPT FOR THE GOD DANG LOCKED ON THE DISK DLC, you payed for the game and you expect everything to be onEver since the first game came out i have been in love with the gears franchise, it was an eye opener for many and there have been countless others to duplicate it (ex. Special forces team X). They had a good thing going, their sequels weren't going to great, but finally they aced it. EXCEPT FOR THE GOD DANG LOCKED ON THE DISK DLC, you payed for the game and you expect everything to be on the disk, sure you obviously gonna have to unlock things, but the fact that you have the game but then have to buy the locked skins and armor crap AGAIN just makes me mad beyond repair. It's almost just like what Capcom screwed up on with their games, (horrible dlc) but enough about that, cuz the VIP pass is sort of worth it, anyway gameplay is the same as it will ever be, they changed around some the controls, and teh story is a little bland, but it was fine, i liked the declasiy missions, and there was alot of things to find, it feels alot like an arcade multiplayer style game, it doesn't focus on anything too seriously. Multiplayer isn't as great as it was, almost no great maps, almost no great characters, and almost no great gamemodes that stand out from your normal gears games, there is a great additon to Overun mode, but i like horde better personally, all in all, it was more disapointing that i though it would be, still though if your a fan go right ahead and buy it, for sale, not worth 60 bucks, and im still ticked off about that stupid dlc, i mean who doesn't want fluffy rainbow on a bloody chainsaw lancer. Expand
  82. Apr 25, 2013
    This game I rated a 7 Reason being is because it has a great story and all and the amount of level concepts are nice But it doesn't really bring nothing new to the table like halo 4 has and blacktops 2 but all and all the story is great but you might grow bored of the online play But its a great game and if you like previous games you well enjoy this
  83. Jun 24, 2013
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooohdhdbfjcjjzjfnbzbxjfnnfjjgghhyytttttttgggtggrgggttttttttrrtyuyytthhhhhhhhggggtgtttyyyyyyyyyyyyyrryyytttttttyvghhhgggghhhrgyyyrhhtthhtyyryhghhhhhggggggggggggvggggyyjjjuuuyyyyytttttttgyyyyyyyyytttttyyyyytgg
  84. Mar 20, 2013
    I'm a fan of GoW from the start personal favorite is 3. I was very excited for this game since GoW titles are yearly and usually well made. While the game I can tell was well made and they've taken risk's which is appreciated. The Campaign is brilliant and the 10 wave horde redux is great now I can actually play and finish (if I win) However the positives end there. MP the once greatestI'm a fan of GoW from the start personal favorite is 3. I was very excited for this game since GoW titles are yearly and usually well made. While the game I can tell was well made and they've taken risk's which is appreciated. The Campaign is brilliant and the 10 wave horde redux is great now I can actually play and finish (if I win) However the positives end there. MP the once greatest part of the game is now something I personally Loathe! It feels like epic took things from CoD (1 weapon to start) BF3/TF2 (stim grenades/classes). This might work for some but for me this is a negative I can't name how many times I tried switching my gun with the dpad yes i'll adjust eventually, or how many times ive been annoyed by the LB grenade toss from other players or the health regen. I'll end by saying this for I wanted the last gow on 360 to be great its medicore and is probably the nail in the coffin for me in and my xbox 360 which I was already consider trading in, I've kept it for GoWJ. I don't see myself keep either much longer maybe a month more and putting credit towards PS4 or maybe a few PS3 titles. This game is the official killer of my gamertag. Expand
  85. Mar 21, 2013
    A solid effort on people can fly, the multiplayer even better the campaign while it is short its a very gorgeous game.i would suggest that it would be longer in the cutscenesm gears of war has a new hero:)
  86. Mar 20, 2013
    "GEARS OF WAR JUDGMENT is a serviceable addition to the GEARS saga while offering refreshing new ways to enjoy one of the best third person shooters around. The new additions are interesting & fresh while keeping that silky smooth GEARS feel to it that fans have come to love.

While it does falter at times & suffers from extreme familiarity, this is a good addition to the series. It does feel a bit rushed & the storyline is pretty forgettable even for GEARS OF WAR standards. But the multiplayer is still solid & the Declassified mission structure helps keep the campaign varied throughout.

If you’re a fan of GEARS OF WAR, this game is clearly for you. Just don’t expect the second coming of Jesus from this one & you’ll have a fun time."

Read my full review here: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EygjQvoq
  87. Apr 18, 2013
    Judgement day has arrived and it's as bleak as we though it would be...

A poor cash-in, a single player campaign that's just not even needed (Copy paste of previous GoW games but with the worst story ever) and multiplayer that includes 4 maps (but don't worry I'm sure they'll want you to pay more to expand that in the future)

Shameful

It doesn't even deserve its Metacritic score of 79
  88. Mar 20, 2013
    Developers have once again found a way to ruin an amazing franchise. Game play has nothing new to offer, story doesn't make sense, multiplayer full of the same old stuff and no improvement in graphics. If you are s fan of this franchise get ready to get screwed.
  89. Mar 23, 2013
    I used to count on a mix of user reviews with critic reviews to get a good feel for a new game and rather or not it is worth buying. Now with all long running big budget games I see way too many 1s and 0s by these games. (I have played them all and none deserve those ratings!!) All reviews under 4 are clearly trolls and over 10 sound way too much like fanboys, although I can believe thatI used to count on a mix of user reviews with critic reviews to get a good feel for a new game and rather or not it is worth buying. Now with all long running big budget games I see way too many 1s and 0s by these games. (I have played them all and none deserve those ratings!!) All reviews under 4 are clearly trolls and over 10 sound way too much like fanboys, although I can believe that there are some of you who actually like the game that much. Everyone else actually has something useful to offer. Review of GOW Judgment:

Overall I personally would give this game a 8.8, but I rounded up as giving it an 8 was a little too low. In many ways this game plays the same as the others, but the developers took a few chances and changed a few key aspects of each game mode. I would not say they are vast improvements, just an enjoyable different spin.

Breakdown:

Graphics: 9.2 This area got a little bit of an upgrade from 3. Nice lighting and good effects. The enemies are a bit easilier to spot.

Gameplay: 8.8 Same as before with changing how weapons switch. You lose a weapon slot but gain a quicker weapon switch. Throwing grenades is easier too. Same flaws from previous games are still present.

Story: 7.8 I like the new approach in story telling, but the game does seem a bit less epic. I personally would liked if emergence day more of a focus. Villain not as interesting.

Campaign: 8.5 I know some don't like the arcade options, but I for one really like ways I can challenge myself. They are afterall options and adding different play options is rarely a bad thing. I grew up on old school arcade games so bring on the arcade modes! (they are what sold me on getting this game) Campaign is on the short side. Aftermath is a nice mini campaign to unlock.

Multiplayer: 8.9 I love overrun. It is my new favorite multiplayer mode. Team I liked a little less then 3. I like survival for good quick arcade mode fix, but I miss horde. Had they included it, this would have been hands down the best gears multiplayer game.

Overall 8.8
  90. Mar 19, 2013
    Have played all Gears games since 1. This is by far (as the campaign goes) the least interesting of the series. Overrun is probably the best thing about Judgement. GOW 3 best in the series in my opinion and again, I will probably log more hours in its multiplayer than Judgement. Not to sure where the ball was dropped. Maybe the addition of People Can Fly.... I even thought the graphicsHave played all Gears games since 1. This is by far (as the campaign goes) the least interesting of the series. Overrun is probably the best thing about Judgement. GOW 3 best in the series in my opinion and again, I will probably log more hours in its multiplayer than Judgement. Not to sure where the ball was dropped. Maybe the addition of People Can Fly.... I even thought the graphics were worse than 3. I regret purchasing this game so early... Not worth an immediate purchase like 3 or the others. But regardless a Gears fan will see some excitement from the game. Definitely not the best, but an ok game. Expand
  91. Apr 16, 2013
    Judgment is most definitely the weakest game of the series, but it is in no way, a bad game. The campaign was very well written but the idea of declassified missions ruins the good elements of the story and makes it feel too arcade. Also, I find the Survival game mode to be completely pointless. They just made it Overrun with ten waves. Lastly, the game needs more maps, or a betterJudgment is most definitely the weakest game of the series, but it is in no way, a bad game. The campaign was very well written but the idea of declassified missions ruins the good elements of the story and makes it feel too arcade. Also, I find the Survival game mode to be completely pointless. They just made it Overrun with ten waves. Lastly, the game needs more maps, or a better randomization of the 4 maps. I feel like I've played Library 20 times out of the last 30 matches. Expand
  92. Apr 25, 2013
    I'd happily give this game an 8 out of 10. I can't believe the negative reviews. The new interface is shiny and blue and the new controls breathe fresh air into the series. But this game Should have been an expansion pack at best.
  93. Jun 21, 2013
    Gears of War is the game that brought me to the 360. I've played them all, got all the DLC ('Cept for the weapon skins in three, that was crap.) and played them pretty much religiously.

So believe me when I tell you that Judgment is not worth it. Did you like the story of one through three? Judgment basically throws all character interaction out the window in favor of a narrative

So believe me when I tell you that Judgment is not worth it.

Did you like the story of one through three? Judgment basically throws all character interaction out the window in favor of a narrative viewpoint. The characters are lackluster at best, and downright boring at worst. Baird might as well just be a stereotypical action hero rather than his usual sarcastic Cole's complete enthusiasm is so far gone that you forget he's even in the game, and the other two characters occasionally have a funny quip, but apart from that, you'll forget their names by the end of the game. Top that with the fact that the game plays more like an Arcade game than it does Gears with the "declassified missions" in play, and you'll forget it ever happened. Don't even get me started on the lame villain. The "Aftermath" campaign, a bonus mission, contains more story than the actual Campaign.

Did you like the multiplayer of one through three? Down but not out, Human versus Locust, a fair amount of tactic being necessary to figure out where your enemy was and destroy them? The Locust have been removed, DBNO is gone, and with such gems as starting with any grenade you want, including "Spotter" or "Stim" grenades, the multiplayer is so incredibly bad that it's not even worth playing. It's just another Red versus Blue game.

Horde's gone too, in favor of Overrun, which is another 5v5 where one team plays as CoG and the other as Locust classes, the CoG defending an E-Hole and Locust trying to open it for three waves, and Survival, which is basically the same thing, but ten waves and you only play as the CoG.

I could go on all day about why Judgment is a bad game, but just know this. Myself and all my friends were die-hard Gears fans, and not one of us played it for more than two weeks.
  94. Jul 9, 2013
    I have played gears of war games since the beginning, and judgment was a complete disgrace in my opinion, and the opinion of many hardcore gears fans like myself. Since the first gears of war, the gnasher shotgun was the weapon of the game and gears was based solely on skill with it. The same followed for gears of war 2 and 3. Now, the campaign for judgment was boring, and had some of theI have played gears of war games since the beginning, and judgment was a complete disgrace in my opinion, and the opinion of many hardcore gears fans like myself. Since the first gears of war, the gnasher shotgun was the weapon of the game and gears was based solely on skill with it. The same followed for gears of war 2 and 3. Now, the campaign for judgment was boring, and had some of the worst and ridiculous storytelling i have ever seen. The horde mode was gone, survival was absolute crap and a waste of time. The multiplayer looked as if it was made by cod players. The gnasher sucked, the weapons in play were lancers, which wouldnt have been as bad if there was a down but not out in the game. taking down but not out out of the series was a ginormous mistake. Spawning with grenades and using primaries with boomshields ruined it even more. The last thing that pushed me over the edge was the fact that the "red team" was not locoust, but cog instead. not only this, but there were only 8 characters to choose from at the least. Expand
  95. Nov 25, 2013
    This is my opinion of judgement. I'm a gears fan (rank 400 in GOW3). I have been playing judgement since day 1 and I think that it is the best game in the series overall. below is a list of pros (how its better then past gears and cons (how its worst)
    Pros:
    1. Graphics are by far the best in the series 2. Characters can now can equip skins (over 100+ character and skin combinations
    Pros:
    1. Graphics are by far the best in the series
    2. Characters can now can equip skins (over 100+ character and skin combinations without d.l.c)
    3. Declassified missions are now available in campaign
    4. Weapon balance is by far the best in the series
    5. Bigger better and much more detailed maps despite the limited number (5 versus and 5 overunn counting DREADNOUGHT and HAVEN)
    6. Fun new weapons each adding a new twist to gears gameplay
    7. Gears gameplay is still the same at its core (you don't die in 2 shots like in C.O.D)
    8. Some of the best d.l.c available in gears history (in my opinion)
    9. Execution is available through an update
    10. Overunn and survival make up for lack of horde
    11. It's only 20$ new at gamestop now
    Cons:
    1. Both the developer and the majority of fans have given up on this game in many respects (it is still playable online and finding a match is easy enough)
    2. Lack of familiar game modes such as warzone and capture the leader
    3. Less characters (no carmines)
    4. The games few problems will most likely never be patched (most of these issues are opinion based and weapon balance is still really great)
    5. Less interesting story (but aftermath feels like gears 3)
    6. Gears has never had the nicest fanbase (lots of t-bagging and taunters but most games have those issues)
    7. Slightly confusing weapon customazation sawed-off can only be used with lancer, stim gas grenades are only available in free for all, the booshka can not be selected in any modes but overunn/survival but can still be customized with a weapon skin)
    As far as pros and cons that's all I could think of at time of writing overall despite the generally negative reviews by FANS judgement is quite polished (rarely lags with good connection) and well designed and since its only around 20$ its a worth while buy. Also most of the bigger problems that plagued the game at launch have been fixed the biggest current problem is lack of players (usually only around 1000 online at any given time).
  96. Jun 5, 2015
    This is one heck of a masterpiece,shut up and take my money developers!the campaign is good,story's good but damn that last boss fight tho,frustrating as heck.this deserves a score above average,I actually technically completed the game 10 times.i have. A problem with the absolute mess of swearing but it's not that bad anyway.if anybody likes COD buy this game,I think it's worth to buy itThis is one heck of a masterpiece,shut up and take my money developers!the campaign is good,story's good but damn that last boss fight tho,frustrating as heck.this deserves a score above average,I actually technically completed the game 10 times.i have. A problem with the absolute mess of swearing but it's not that bad anyway.if anybody likes COD buy this game,I think it's worth to buy it in full price.trust me it's worth it.this game deserves a solid 7/10! Expand
  97. Mar 22, 2013
    It reminds me of "when critics and gamers disagree" situation. This is the weakest Gears game, played them all. It should be dlc instead of full price game. It looks like People Can Fly got clear instruction: create few missions, do not screw up original game mechanics. It sooo the same, campaign is boooring and story is completely flat. Then you have extra campaign mission. I thought:It reminds me of "when critics and gamers disagree" situation. This is the weakest Gears game, played them all. It should be dlc instead of full price game. It looks like People Can Fly got clear instruction: create few missions, do not screw up original game mechanics. It sooo the same, campaign is boooring and story is completely flat. Then you have extra campaign mission. I thought: "yes, it could not be that bad, here is where Gears begins, its dark and feels like Gears" but then it finishes right away. Narration type is of the worst possible kind, retrospection. This means nothing bad will happen to the one who is speaking, and all squad is speaking. 3 minutes short levels do not help either. On the contrary it is very bad idea, becouse all atmosphere is immediately lost. Minor changes to multi and few new maps is much too less to grade this game as high as metacritic average. Weak and boring to me. Expand
  98. Mar 23, 2013
    Gears of War Judgment takes BABY STEPS of evolution, the same thing like last Gears of Wars Games without Marcus Fenix, the story is very boring and the graphics same level I think is a desperate move from Microsoft and Epic to trying to take our money, Very Disappointed
  99. Mar 19, 2013
    I'd be lying if I said GoW Judgement was a bad game, but i'd also be lying if I said it's better than its predecessors- because it isn't. Has Gears of War finally turned its last rotation? The game is the standard you-know-and-love 3rd person visceral shooter that does and offers things right that other shooters can't. The story is beautiful and made me like Baird a little more (But hesI'd be lying if I said GoW Judgement was a bad game, but i'd also be lying if I said it's better than its predecessors- because it isn't. Has Gears of War finally turned its last rotation? The game is the standard you-know-and-love 3rd person visceral shooter that does and offers things right that other shooters can't. The story is beautiful and made me like Baird a little more (But hes still an egotistical A-hole,) the game play is fluid, and two (I think) new modes put into multiplayer that I think are a breath of fresh air, but I do see it getting boring sometime soon.

...But what else? That's pretty much it. Other than that, it offers nothing more than the standard a la carte which is pretty disappointing considering the fact that I am a GoW fan. Instead, they opted to take out two things that really got me into GoW in the first place: DBNO, and Locusts. DBNO was so unique in this type of game that other game could not simply do. In the first place, your not supposed to die or get shot, but DBNO gave you that unique fear of getting humiliated- that part is just gone now. Now it just feels like an arcade shoot-em-up with visceral features in it. Another is Locusts- they are gone in multiplayer...soo yeah, kinda sad. Overall, I wouldn't say its a bad game, but its not the best either. They did put thought into balancing which I feel is fine right now, (Save for the sawed off- I still hate that thing) and I think they did a good job. I wouldn't recommend it to any casual shooter- they may end up disappointed, so only hardcore gears need apply.
  100. Mar 30, 2013
    I will say I got into the Gears of War franchise late in it's life, but I believe every one of it's games are gems, with Judgment only being the newest.Graphics have been polished to perfection, with a few hiccups here and there. It's managed to retain the same, intense gamplay all Gears fans love, while adding new, welcoming additions to it. Campaign has believable, charming charactersI will say I got into the Gears of War franchise late in it's life, but I believe every one of it's games are gems, with Judgment only being the newest.Graphics have been polished to perfection, with a few hiccups here and there. It's managed to retain the same, intense gamplay all Gears fans love, while adding new, welcoming additions to it. Campaign has believable, charming characters that will have you wishing they had more lines to say (Besides Baird, the other characters only have around 5 lines outside of cut-scenes). Multiplayer is far from innovative, but like the gameplay, has managed to retain what its so well know for. Overrun is a blast to play online with friends, but will quickly lose it's magic if you play it alone with strangers. Lastly, Declassified Missions were a nice touch, but if you're aiming at all for achievements, it'll make you feel like your being unnecessarily forced to do each and every one. However, the Declassified Missions add tremendous value to the Campaign's replay-ability worth. Overall, if Gears has been your thing since the first game was released, you'll find everything you need and more in Judgement. Expand

1. Hyper Magazine
    May 9, 2013
    It's Gears 3, minus pacing and ambition. It's still fantastically enjoyable, but it's easily the least interesting Gears game. [June 2013, p.64]
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    Judgment shows that the People Can Fly team knows its way around triple-A titles. They managed to squeeze a lot out of Unreal Engine 3 – the game looks great even compared to Crysis 3, which set new standards in terms of visuals, also on consoles. And when the technology restrained them, they creatively found a way around limitations. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.60]
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Judgment feels a bit like an excuse to provide the Xbox 360 with one last first-party game for what is likely to be its final year as Microsoft’s flagship game platform.