5.5

1. Mar 23, 2013
    Four bland and short multiplayer maps, the removal of Horde mode which Gears *made* popular in the industry, a complete control scheme change for more arcade like ("Call of Duty"-esque) gameplay, a forgettable linear story with characters who are subdued, removal of key unique game modes and mechanics (e.g. DBNO, active reloads, executions), and extremely shady DLC practices out of theFour bland and short multiplayer maps, the removal of Horde mode which Gears *made* popular in the industry, a complete control scheme change for more arcade like ("Call of Duty"-esque) gameplay, a forgettable linear story with characters who are subdued, removal of key unique game modes and mechanics (e.g. DBNO, active reloads, executions), and extremely shady DLC practices out of the gate. Frankly, Gears: Judgement is the culmination of the loss of several key Epic developers (CliffyB, Rod Ferguson), the loss of People Can Fly's original founder and creative designer after their acquisition by Epic, and Microsoft pushing to keep their limited number of "exclusive" franchises relevant. The lowest point in the series and it removes nearly all the elements that differentiated Gears from every other bombastic shooter. Rent, don't buy. Expand
  2. Apr 18, 2013
    Judgement day has arrived and it's as bleak as we though it would be...

A poor cash-in, a single player campaign that's just not even needed (Copy paste of previous GoW games but with the worst story ever) and multiplayer that includes 4 maps (but don't worry I'm sure they'll want you to pay more to expand that in the future)

Shameful

It doesn't even deserve its Metacritic score of 79
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    As many other veteran Gears fans have already stated, this latest addition is underwhelming. However it doesn't mean its a bad game outright, though I believe it has no place in the Gears universe. The single/co-op/four player ironically is the best after Gears 1, I do like how People can fly have changed it for the better. The problems though are with the multiplayer, which to many is theAs many other veteran Gears fans have already stated, this latest addition is underwhelming. However it doesn't mean its a bad game outright, though I believe it has no place in the Gears universe. The single/co-op/four player ironically is the best after Gears 1, I do like how People can fly have changed it for the better. The problems though are with the multiplayer, which to many is the reason why we brought it. First the day one micro transactions............ absolutely scandalous! Then the maps, discounting the vastly over-rated over-run there are four maps that I counted where the same map gets replayed over and over until it changes. Then no downs, as the boss guards in MGSPW would say 'WHAT?'! That alone makes certain maps and weapons so unbalanced it's stupid. Then free for all, initially a good premise but with experienced players camping at power weapons spots again there is little balance. Lastly the weapons, I like the Beecher a lot but the old lancer and marzker are way too over powered, plus hit detection is very erratic. All these problems new players won't know or care about, but a vet will be disgusted and frankly I feel I have wasted cash on this. BUT the old Gears of War download was a great touch, but I don't think it has aged very well with several glitches, laggy connections and cheating NOT removed ie crab walking or being invisible in brushes etc. Overall an average game but a extremely poor Gears! Expand
  4. Apr 28, 2013
    Judgment is a nice extension of the Gears of War series. It does very little to innovate upon its already proven campaign and multiplayer base, but what it does, it does well. Declassified mission options give a great change-up to the campaign experience and force you to approach an encounter with some kind of added difficulty or weapon set that you might otherwise not use. The story isJudgment is a nice extension of the Gears of War series. It does very little to innovate upon its already proven campaign and multiplayer base, but what it does, it does well. Declassified mission options give a great change-up to the campaign experience and force you to approach an encounter with some kind of added difficulty or weapon set that you might otherwise not use. The story is worthwhile, and I found myself enjoying this title more than I had expected to, especially the small spin off to the Gears of War 3 storyline that you experience via Aftermath. This game will find opposition, but Judgment isn't a flop, even if it feels a bit like an expansion pack at times. I think anyone with a level-head and reasonable expectations will find this a good investment of their time & money. Expand
  5. Mar 21, 2013
    I bought a 360 for Gears of War I way back when, and have always been a huge fan (despite the horrible multiplayer in II), but was skeptical of this one. The story is decent enough for a Gears game and the gunplay is pretty much unchanged, other than the ommison of the gun wheel and ability to carry two primary weapons with a pistol, which is a questionable choice. The campaign'sI bought a 360 for Gears of War I way back when, and have always been a huge fan (despite the horrible multiplayer in II), but was skeptical of this one. The story is decent enough for a Gears game and the gunplay is pretty much unchanged, other than the ommison of the gun wheel and ability to carry two primary weapons with a pistol, which is a questionable choice. The campaign's declassify missions are fun and a nice addition, but the length makes it out to be a more of a glorified DLC than a stand alone title. The multiplayer sadly has none of what made Gears great. Gone is Horde, replaced by the pedestrian Survival and Overrun modes, and the ability to execute opponents. The abscence of the wheel is felt more online where you start only with one gun and a pistol and your choice of grenade. Personally, this game feels more like a strange generic hybrid trying to be Gears of War. Expand
  6. Mar 21, 2013
    Let me start by saying that i'm 35. Like many of my friends, Gears is the reason i've bought an xbox in 2006 and the only reason i subscribe to xbox live. I'm not interested in COD who have dumb down FPS to a point of no return. The first Gears was dark, short quote from protagonist and action packed but still, you needed to use the cover system and apply some strategy or you would be outLet me start by saying that i'm 35. Like many of my friends, Gears is the reason i've bought an xbox in 2006 and the only reason i subscribe to xbox live. I'm not interested in COD who have dumb down FPS to a point of no return. The first Gears was dark, short quote from protagonist and action packed but still, you needed to use the cover system and apply some strategy or you would be out in no time. The whole trilogy campaign was EPIC. The complete opposite of most game at that time. Gears was not a fast game and people liked it this way. Gears 2 tried and successfully success to bring things to a new level. Yes they had major problem with connection at launch, it took almost 3-6 month to have a good patch for the game. But it was in some ways a blessing. True Gears stayed... others left. Gears 2 was near perfect. When Gears 3 released we kind of felt Epic was trying to bring new people to the franchise more guns, more power weapons, bright colors. Horde 2.0 huge success. Many complaint about the sawed-off but in the whole picture it was still Gears...

Then Judgment: If you played the previous iteration's campaign who were Epic in scale and story you will be greatly deceived by this arcadish feel. The campaign doesn't feel dumbed down but i would say younged-down i really don't understand who they are trying to appeal. Enough said about the campaign, lets move to the multi portion. The first thing you'll notice is the very little amount of mode and maps offered here. Theay have chosed to remove the locust of multiplayer match. Only Cog vs Cog. The only locust you'll see are in the Overrun mode that is kind of a Beast 2.0 from Gears 3. Many little tweaks of previous games have disappeared. They actually tried to bring Gears to a fast paced shooter, which is actually not really Gears...

To sum up, i don't really know where they want to go with this franchise i love so much, but the result is, with Judgment, they are going away from my xbox...
  7. Apr 29, 2013
    Gear Of War Judgment is a prequel to the Gears Of War Trilogy. It explains the back story to the two main support characters from the main series. It is your typical Gears of War game and the mechanics are very much the same as what you experience in the other games. There are some nice new weapons to play with along with some new enemies (some of which I would have liked to have been inGear Of War Judgment is a prequel to the Gears Of War Trilogy. It explains the back story to the two main support characters from the main series. It is your typical Gears of War game and the mechanics are very much the same as what you experience in the other games. There are some nice new weapons to play with along with some new enemies (some of which I would have liked to have been in the other games). The main new feature that really made the game a joy to play were the Declassified missions. Basically when you play the game there are additional challenges you can activate to make the game more challenging. These vary from using certain weapons, harder enemies and reduced visibility but they do add another level to the game. The main campaign is a little short and does not really have any massive Stand Out moments but its solid enough with a decent enough plot.
    I liked the addition of the Aftermath mode which opens up a story that fills in the blanks from Gears of War 3.
    This game is nothing new and so will not bring any new players into the Franchise but will be a welcome addition to the original games. For this reason I cannot give it a truely high score even though it does not do anything bad. The game mechanics are all solid and the AI is decent enough. I did not understand why in Aftermath they seem to have removed the Declassified options as I did honestly miss them once I had played the main campaign through.
    I have not spent much time on the Multiplayer modes and so cannot really review with any depth but the modes are mainly ports from the other games.
  8. Jan 8, 2016
    People Can Fly have done something new with the series. The core gameplay is still in place, but the emphasis is now on more arcade-style action. Level's are smaller and more close quarters. This leads to conflicts and levels that are shorter in length, but do a better job of ensuring that you are constantly in the center of the action.

The Gears of War series has always been a cover

The Gears of War series has always been a cover shooter. However in this entry I barely used it. With conflicts being so hectic, taking place in close quarters, and the focus on scoring stars this entry really changes how you approach Gears' combat. The new spawn system that changes up enemy types and where they pop up at each time you play through a level is novel, if not always noticeable. It does a decent job of ensuring you aren't facing the exact same challenges on repeat playthroughs.

Another great addition is the inclusion of "Declassified" missions. These new challenges allow you to get stars faster by upping the challenges you'll face. Things like reduced visibility, time-limits, and the restriction of only certain weapon types do a great job of changing up the game and adding some extra tension and challenge.

The reason you'll want to get these stars is so you can unlock more content. Specifically the "Aftermath" campaign. Aftermath takes place after Judgment during Gears of War 3. It serves as a way of letting us know the final fate of the game's new characters. Not only that, but the combat and level design ditches the new style in favor of the standard formula. It's basically kind of like a story DLC for Gears of War and it's inclusion is a nice touch.

As for the story itself it's pretty solid, if a tad disappointing. It's cool to get a look at the conflict when it was just getting started. The issue is that it takes a while for the new characters to get fleshed out and once they finally start to get interesting the end of the campaign isn't far behind. Baird and Cole's personalities also aren't as colorful as they are in the main games. That all changes during the Aftermath portion however.

As far as presentation goes this could very well be the best looking game of last gen. Bright, vivid colors replace the typical shades of brown and gray and give the world more life. It's a gorgeous sight to behold.

The multiplayer part of the game is basically what you would expect. While People Can Fly were making the new campaign, Epic Games was working on the multiplayer. The results are familiar. A new mode called "Overrun" is quite a blast. A survival mode replaces Hoard mode, but it's basically just Overrun with bots. Despite little innovation and only a handful of modes the experience is still fun. It's biggest issue is just that there aren't many people online.

Despite some stumbling in it's multiplayer portion, "Judgment" still manages to impress thanks to a new approach to it's single-player offerings. It's action packed, frantic, and an all around adrenaline rush. It's a much needed breath of fresh air for the series and a heck of a lot of fun. Gears of War does something truly different and it pays off in the end. There's also plenty of reasons to come back thanks to a plethora of unlockable goodies. Purist Gearheads might be turned off by the new focus of combat and the step back in scale, but overall I think it's hard to not appreciate the excellence of the series combat even in this new format.

I give the game an 8.4/10.
  9. Mar 20, 2013
    Developers have once again found a way to ruin an amazing franchise. Game play has nothing new to offer, story doesn't make sense, multiplayer full of the same old stuff and no improvement in graphics. If you are s fan of this franchise get ready to get screwed.
  10. Apr 5, 2013
    As someone who played Gears of War 3 for over 250 hours, I was excited to experience all of the changes Gears of War Judgement was gonna bring to the table. Only problem, there aren't that many! The menus, music, animations, are exactly the same! The only changes they did make, made the game worse! Just save your money and keep playing Gears of War 3.
  11. Apr 22, 2015
    Despite enjoying the Gears of War trilogy (particularly 1 and 3 when played co-op) I never got around to playing Judgement. At the time the mixed review scores and fact that I’d had my fill of the Gears formula meant I decided to give it a miss but, having belatedly got round to playing it online with a mate, I have to say it is a very good game.

Few titles have ever matched the gunplay

Few titles have ever matched the gunplay of Gears of War and People Can Fly, creators of the excellent and sadly over looked Bulletstorm, have taken the classic gameplay of previous titles and put it into short missions of between 5 and 15 minutes in length that award players with stars based on their performance. The clever twist (one I’m surprised more games haven’t copied) is that at the start of each mission players can choose to make it unclassified. This basically increases the difficulty by doing things like adding a time limit, making the enemies more intelligent, reducing visibility as a result of poor weather etc. This really helps to keep things fresh throughout the 42 Judgement campaign missions and the short length of each, as well as being ideal for online co-op, really encourages repeat plays in order to try to earn more stars.

Once enough stars have been earned a further campaign is unlocked which acts as an hour and a half long prelude to the Gears of War 3 storyline and is an enjoyable, if rather brief, reminder of the older Gears titles.

The only real negative in the whole package is the competitive multiplayer which is just as uninteresting as it has always been and not something I bothered spending all that much time with.

Overall though Gears of War Judgement is a great package that can now be picked up for virtually nothing. I’d highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys a good shoot em up, particularly fans of previous games in the series.
  12. Mar 23, 2013
    (EPIC CASH GRAB: Lag and Disappointment) should have been the title for this turd. Gears of war is my favorite game series this generation. With that being said this title is a total cash grab and an embarassment to the series. Your basically paying $60 for half a game then expected to fork over another $20 for the other half in a month or so. Four maps on disc for mplayer in a AAA(EPIC CASH GRAB: Lag and Disappointment) should have been the title for this turd. Gears of war is my favorite game series this generation. With that being said this title is a total cash grab and an embarassment to the series. Your basically paying $60 for half a game then expected to fork over another $20 for the other half in a month or so. Four maps on disc for mplayer in a AAA title is a total joke. The maps are decent but the entire drop in from above concept is totally at odds with a cover based shooter. The new weapons are fun to use but the marksa is really cheap in the hands of a good sniper because of the amount of ammo in the clips. Overrun is fun but feels unfinished-like there could have been more added to make it more balanced and technical but the developers said screw it it's good enough. The competitive multiplayer is a total joke. It's clear the second you realize everyone can spawn with frags and have shotguns with a shield this game is a total noobfest. Anything that required skill and thinking in past games is now completely removed, even the quick reload WTF!! The removal of locusts was also done for the sole purpose of milking players into buying skins for cog armor. Everything about multiplayer just feels off. Even the gnasher shotgun feels...slightly wrong like the hit detection isn't quite right. Survival is the best thing about this game. This is the only mode with minimal lag, a decent challenge, and most importantly FUN! Guess what- it's also the mode with the least experience points for play and not included in the VIP playlist at this time. Every other mode I played is so full of bouts of LAG that the game is nearly unplayable. Every game save for Gears 3 was laggy but this one is the worst since Gears 2's mess of an online mode. After four games there's no excuse other than the developers just don't care, and why should they people keep shoveling money into the series so they keep copy pasting their net code. The campaign does get some things right by including the Declassified missions and bringing back the tone of the first game. Gore and horror themes are what started the series before it trailed off into the lame generic environments from later titles. That said the story is short and pretty unremarkable, doing nothing to further the series canon in any way. This title was supposed to be a love letter to die hard gears fans, instead it's a slap in the face. Taking away nearly everything we love about a series and charging full price for half a game full of lag is just unacceptable. You can tell a REAL hardcore gears fan from a casual player just by the reviews you see on this site. I'm ditching this game in a couple weeks for Defiance and hoping for a better experience. After this Epic has it's work cut out for it in winning back my affection for this series.... I gave the game a 3 which is honestly the amount of effort I feel was put into this terrible title. For everyone else who thinks they are getting a great deal here, you are part of the problem... Expand
  13. Apr 13, 2013
    This will be the last Gears of War I play. I could prattle on what made this game less than worth the $60 I paid on the release date, but I won't. Instead I'll just sum it up. 1) Campaign was too damn short and SEVERELY lacking detail and depth 2) Multiplayer just seemed pared down and not nearly as addictive as the previous GOW 3) The "extra campaign" was absolutely not interesting. IThis will be the last Gears of War I play. I could prattle on what made this game less than worth the $60 I paid on the release date, but I won't. Instead I'll just sum it up. 1) Campaign was too damn short and SEVERELY lacking detail and depth 2) Multiplayer just seemed pared down and not nearly as addictive as the previous GOW 3) The "extra campaign" was absolutely not interesting. I felt like I was playing the leftover game play from GOW 3 and 4) to expect me to spend Microsoft points merely to customize my multiplayer character is absolute nonsense.

Overall, this game was dull, repetitive, and pointless. Bah.
  14. May 8, 2014
    This is a truly fantastic instalment that managed to meet my high expectations. Taking all the elements that made GOW3 great and pushing it even further. The levels are just stunning and some of the best Iooking yet seen in GOW. There's loads of room for different tactics and experimentation and good variety in the mission structures. I liked the star system alot, as it made coming back toThis is a truly fantastic instalment that managed to meet my high expectations. Taking all the elements that made GOW3 great and pushing it even further. The levels are just stunning and some of the best Iooking yet seen in GOW. There's loads of room for different tactics and experimentation and good variety in the mission structures. I liked the star system alot, as it made coming back to the game very compelling in an old school 'gotta get a perfect score' way. People Can Fly have demonstrated they were the right studio to work alongside Epic. Expand
  15. May 10, 2017
    Gears of War Judgment is a little different to the other games, but not in a negative way. It still feels and plays like Gears with all the core mechanics in place and beautiful graphics. The campaign is good, with a decent mix of action, level design and a very simple action-oriented story. There's nothing clever here, just your run-of-the-mill shooter campaign but done right. What makesGears of War Judgment is a little different to the other games, but not in a negative way. It still feels and plays like Gears with all the core mechanics in place and beautiful graphics. The campaign is good, with a decent mix of action, level design and a very simple action-oriented story. There's nothing clever here, just your run-of-the-mill shooter campaign but done right. What makes it particularly interesting are the Declassified missions; which add an extra challenge and make the experience more enjoyable overall. Each level is broken down into sections, and each section has its own score target and some have Declassified missions which earn extra score. The missions are fairly repetitive: complete the section in a set time, face more powerful enemies, reduced visibility, reduced ammo, weapon restrictions and so on. However, the cutscenes and declassified missions do break immersion with your choice of weapons in gameplay; in nearly all cutscenes characters are always shown with Lancers even if this is not the case. Similarly, even though there is plenty of ammo available, some of the Declassified missions will contradict this in the storytelling.

The multiplayer is nothing like classic Gears - it plays more like a typical third-person shooter with much more verticality than is typically possible in Gears. Whilst it's not bad, with a decent mix of weapons, maps and game modes, it's understandable why some (most) people don't like it.

The survival mode is more promising though. It's basically defending some object and falling back when it gets destroyed. There are four classes and five players. Unlike typical Gears Horde, this is simplified considerably. There are no resources or a Fabricator, you cannot build defenses, you can change class when you die and can respawn within a few seconds of dying. There are also only 10 waves. It definitely has a much more lightweight and arcadey feel to it, which is by no means a bad thing.

One thing I particularly have to commend this game for is the AI. Your teammates actually revive, play the objective, kill enemies and somewhat use teamwork. It's clear that the four-character setup was meant for co-op campaign, but iunlike in most games AI teammates aren't useless or stupid. This is particularly important because the entire campaign (and survival) are always with the 4 characters.

Overall, Gears of War Judgment is both a good shooter and Gears of War game. It may not be as high quality as the main numbered entries, but it's still a decent experience whether or not you're new to Gears.
  16. Mar 25, 2013
    This game stands on the shoulders of GOW 3. I personally think GOW 3 was a wonderful game and EPIC did a good job in that game. I wasn't a fan of the new weapons in GOW 3 but I loved the game overall. GOW 3 vs GOWJ: Campaign: The campaign has slightly improved in terms of game play. The declassified missions are fun and the enemy bots act slightly more smart. Versus: This is the trulyThis game stands on the shoulders of GOW 3. I personally think GOW 3 was a wonderful game and EPIC did a good job in that game. I wasn't a fan of the new weapons in GOW 3 but I loved the game overall. GOW 3 vs GOWJ: Campaign: The campaign has slightly improved in terms of game play. The declassified missions are fun and the enemy bots act slightly more smart. Versus: This is the truly disappointing part of the game IMO. First of all, no execution. The game is super fast-paced when compared with GOW 3. The FFA and domination are a chaos. Overrun is nice, but does not meet up with my expectations from the trailer. I find GOW 3 horde mode more elaborate in terms of upgrades and devices you could use. My main issue with versus, however, is the weapons. You get one main starting weapon: semi-auto sniper, lancer, or shotgun. SOS is back, stinkier than ever. More bullets and longe range. In GOW 3 if you are a few feets away SOS does not do any damage. In GOWJ, I have died because of SOS firing at a 10s of feet away. For some reason it still does a little damage at long range. This has happened to me in domination game type. Also, there is no locus against cog. Its cog vs cog. I hate it. Survival: Nice game mode. Similar to horde expect that cog is defending some strategic points on the map. I would give judgement a 10/10 if it would come to my xbox as a dlc for GOW 3. As a standalone game selling at 60 bucks, it won't get better than 7. Expand
  17. Mar 22, 2013
    This game is a joke to the Gears franchise, there's nothing much more to be said. I am a long time Gears fan. Playing the game ever since I got my first Xbox in 2008. When Judgment was announced, I was excited. I couldn't wait for a new Gears title after been announced that the third instalment would be the last. Oh how I wish Epic games stuck to that word. This game takes everything awayThis game is a joke to the Gears franchise, there's nothing much more to be said. I am a long time Gears fan. Playing the game ever since I got my first Xbox in 2008. When Judgment was announced, I was excited. I couldn't wait for a new Gears title after been announced that the third instalment would be the last. Oh how I wish Epic games stuck to that word. This game takes everything away from what make Gears of War a unique game. Essentially giving the middle finger to long time hardcore and casual gears players. When you think of Gears of War, the aspects that come straight to mind are accelerated game play, intense close quarter battles, brutal executions and just amazing gameplay in general. The multiplier aspect is a camp fest. With players taking the infamous "Call of Duty" approach. Just sit on a ledge with a rifle and wait for your opponent, All skill has been removed from the game without any consideration to long time players. Sure, I am all for new players picking up a game and been able to play but there should be a learning curve. Not just pick up the game for the first time in your life and instantly be able to hold your own against some of the veteran players. That is not what Gears is about. Down but not outs (DBNOs) have been completely removed from the game taking with it the execution rule. Story wise, sure, a prequel sounded like a good idea but why make Baird the lead character for starters. He is the least liked character over the last 3 gears games (taken by polls on forums and other game sites). Why not take it back to Dom growing up or even Coles transition from thrashball player to COG. yes I'm nit picking now but it's just the thoughts I have about this game. my biggest issue with the game though is the control system. For 6 years, the D-pad has been iconic in the Gears play style. allowing instant switching between 3 weapon and a grenade. It worked perfectly. So why has People can Fly suddenly decided to follow the control scheme of pretty much every other shooter out there. The number of time I have hit the left d-pad to switch to the gnasher for close quarters, only to get gunned down by a rifle is ridiculous. Also when I go to check my surroundings, see where my team mates are and where I should be heading has only resulted in throwing my frag grenade. This game is just the classic example of giving a extremely popular game title to a not so well known company and them completely taking everything away from it. It happens when Ninja Theory did Devil may Cry, It kinda happened when 343i did Halo 4 (although that game was a noteworthy sequel story wise). Overall, the game is terrible. It will certainly has no replay value and I think I will stick to Gears of War 3 as my primary shooters. THANK YOU PEOPLE CAN FLY. You have killed the Gears name. Expand
  18. Apr 23, 2013
    Pros:
    Its a gears game- nowadays its nearly impossible to ruin a gears game. Its fun, crazy, fast-paced, and gory. What is not to love?
    Campaign- 4 player co-op locust one heckuva good time, grab a few drinks, sit down with some buddies and play through it. You won't be disappointed. Survival- this is the best gametype in the game by far. Multiplayer doesn't have the COG vs Locust
    Pros:

Survival- this is the best gametype in the game by far. Multiplayer doesn't have the COG vs Locust anymore, and it feels wrong to kill other gears (unless you are the locust), so I usually gravitate to this playlist. The class limitations can be annoying, but it takes skill to master them all.

Cons:
    Skins- good lord people, how many boxes of experience before I simply break the disc in frustration? I can literally earn hundreds of boxes and all of them be experience while my buddy plays two games and gets a copper/chrome/gold skin from the get-go. Yeah, this unlock system is terrible.

Weapons- gnasher gib-fest...every...single...game...Spawn, rush, gnasher, die, rinse, repeat...Oh and who even uses the hammerburst anymore? You'll be sniped dead by a gnasher by the time you raise your weapon to aim down the sights.

Overrun- fun as heck, but come on, the COG is no fun to play, and everybody wants to be the locust. Just a trivial thing, but a similar point unlock system as the locust would've been nice.
  19. Mar 22, 2013
    want to play gears 3 with a worse campaign and content removed? me neither.

want to play gears 3 with a worse campaign and content removed? me neither.

Gears of war judgement is a prequel to the gear of war series, you follow Baird and "kilo" squad in the standard "world is dead/dieing" gears of war campaign. the scenary is nice as unlike gears 1-3 the world isn't quite killed yet you see less dirt and grime, it's nice to see what the gears world looked like before the invasion.

the story is pretty mediocre and same old gears style gameplay, walk a bit, enemies appear, kill them and move on.The declassified missions are the only new and good part to the campaign, which change the game slightly making it a bit harder and different, it's nothing amazing.

there are new weapons, a semi auto sniper, a semi auto locus rifle, a grenade launcher, and stim grenades. the new semi auto cog sniper is AMAZINGLY over powered, be prepaired to kill grinders in 3 headshots (10 shots in a clip) campaign scoring seems to be gone which is terrible, the story is also in complete. for example, in part of the game you arm and fire a giant missile, against a direct order, the colonel states the missile is "going to be used elsewhere" but you never find out where it was intended to be used... many other scenarios play out in the game.

Over run is the new game mode. one team is locust and can use the locust monsters and the other is cog and can use one of 4 classes each having different skills. honestly the game mode is decent but imbalanced. the cog sniper class has the most over powered sniper rifle in almost any game this gen. Locust players can kill the objective by simply shooting at it or widdling down it's health with coordinated ticker attacks or grenade throws... pretty bad.

Remember horde, the game mode everyone loved? well they thought instead of doing that you would want to play over run vs AI. literally that's all it is. half the time if you use the matchmaking for this mode you are thrown in by yourself with useless AI on your team, and I mean useless I rather have a 10 year old kid on my team than the 4 ai characters combined.

oh and there are only 5 maps... 5 maps in total.

some of the older game modes like warzone and execution are gone, speaking of executions there is no real emphasis on them anymore, who cares if that's what started gears of war's popularity right? the down but not out mode is gone in multiplayer so its not like you see them outside of campaign now, they also don't have unlockable ones like in gears 3. no more active reload in multiplayer

can't have a pistol unless you drop one of your primary weapons.

over all, you lose out on this game. gears 2 and 3 are much better games and gears 1 has a better single player anyway. the only thing that give this game a 4 instead of something lower is the game actually works, i had no game breaking bugs, and over run, though broken, is a good game mode in and of itself, the problem is they removed the older stuff for it, they needed a good horde mode a better single player and many other things to bring this up

want to play gears of war? buy the first 3 games, you will save money and get a better game.
  20. Mar 20, 2013
    Not number one in the series but deffinately number2 in my book. The story mode is just so fun and feels new while feeling classic at the same time. the lighting and visuals are a wonder to look at. Declassified missions make a huge difference. The gears banter is on the lighter side and less out there but still great. Multiplayer is so much better than I ever thought it could be. Being aNot number one in the series but deffinately number2 in my book. The story mode is just so fun and feels new while feeling classic at the same time. the lighting and visuals are a wonder to look at. Declassified missions make a huge difference. The gears banter is on the lighter side and less out there but still great. Multiplayer is so much better than I ever thought it could be. Being a huge Gears fan who has won over 3000 matches in each gears of war since Gears 1 was a little put off by People Can Fly taking over and Cliffy leaving and just all that put me off but the multiplayer Shines brighter than all! OverRun mode is Gears take on Rush Mode and Adding Domination and Free for All has just given the multiplayer some much needed depth. Hopefully guardian and King of the Hill come back but some Awesome gameplay will keep me here for a long time. The package has a lot to offer and this game deserves the 10/10. Expand
  21. Mar 20, 2013
    People Can Fly have done the impossible, they've taken Epic's genre-defining gameplay and made it better, this is truly the most fun I've had playing Gears.
  22. Aug 4, 2013
    this is easily the most disappointing i have been in a game this year. everything that was great about gears of war 3 which was most things were missing in judgement. lets start the campaign the game had the potential to expand the characters of baird and cole and also explore the initial stages of the locust attack and the brutality that came with it. The story falls short in every waythis is easily the most disappointing i have been in a game this year. everything that was great about gears of war 3 which was most things were missing in judgement. lets start the campaign the game had the potential to expand the characters of baird and cole and also explore the initial stages of the locust attack and the brutality that came with it. The story falls short in every way and often feels forced. it is really short as there is really nothing going on through the whole story. the addition of the challenges are interesting but not capitalized upon and there is nothing really interesting ever going on with the campaign. it is the only gears of war campaign i have not played twice. don't get me started on the ending as well. possibly the worst villain in videogames never any emotion and im not even sure that there is a line of dialogue from this forgettable character.

as for the multiplayer overrun is fantastic and easily the best mode available in this game. it is deep and satisfying with lots of options and interesting maps and specialties available from each class of character.

regular multiplayer on the other hand is a joke 4 maps. really. after about an hour you have already played every map and also the fact that many of the mechanics that made gears multiplayer so unique have been removed.

and the final nail in the coffin for this game was the removal of horde mode. i feel like this game took a lot of risks yet many of them were not justified and it seems as if this series may now struggle to redeem itself. i still love the how the shooting feels in the campaign and the cover to cover system as been tweaked for the better. The game looks stunning and many of the environments are great to look at but that doesn't make a great game.
  23. Mar 23, 2013
    The campaign with its introduction of 'declassified missions' and new method of storytelling is by far the best one since 2. However, the multiplayer unit as it stands only comes with 4 versus maps and 4 overrun maps, a rather weak package. Two free maps come out in April, and six are included in the season pass, but comparatively to 3, this is still minimal. A few changes for the better,The campaign with its introduction of 'declassified missions' and new method of storytelling is by far the best one since 2. However, the multiplayer unit as it stands only comes with 4 versus maps and 4 overrun maps, a rather weak package. Two free maps come out in April, and six are included in the season pass, but comparatively to 3, this is still minimal. A few changes for the better, a few changes for the worse. Not the best Gears, but does enough different that its worth an investment. Expand
  24. Mar 20, 2013
    I'm a fan of GoW from the start personal favorite is 3. I was very excited for this game since GoW titles are yearly and usually well made. While the game I can tell was well made and they've taken risk's which is appreciated. The Campaign is brilliant and the 10 wave horde redux is great now I can actually play and finish (if I win) However the positives end there. MP the once greatestI'm a fan of GoW from the start personal favorite is 3. I was very excited for this game since GoW titles are yearly and usually well made. While the game I can tell was well made and they've taken risk's which is appreciated. The Campaign is brilliant and the 10 wave horde redux is great now I can actually play and finish (if I win) However the positives end there. MP the once greatest part of the game is now something I personally Loathe! It feels like epic took things from CoD (1 weapon to start) BF3/TF2 (stim grenades/classes). This might work for some but for me this is a negative I can't name how many times I tried switching my gun with the dpad yes i'll adjust eventually, or how many times ive been annoyed by the LB grenade toss from other players or the health regen. I'll end by saying this for I wanted the last gow on 360 to be great its medicore and is probably the nail in the coffin for me in and my xbox 360 which I was already consider trading in, I've kept it for GoWJ. I don't see myself keep either much longer maybe a month more and putting credit towards PS4 or maybe a few PS3 titles. This game is the official killer of my gamertag. Expand
  25. Mar 26, 2013
    Judgement seems to have moved far away from the original GOW and some elements seem to have started to get dumbed-down to cater for casual non-gamers. Only being able to hold 2 guns, changing them by pressing Y and throwing grenades with LB are changes that are ruining what GOW was. However the combat is the best so far, the graphics are very good, the story is good and the multi-playerJudgement seems to have moved far away from the original GOW and some elements seem to have started to get dumbed-down to cater for casual non-gamers. Only being able to hold 2 guns, changing them by pressing Y and throwing grenades with LB are changes that are ruining what GOW was. However the combat is the best so far, the graphics are very good, the story is good and the multi-player is addictive. It would have been a higher score but the small changes are holding it back. Expand
  26. Mar 21, 2013
    I decided to write this review because I'm one of the people that got Judgement on release day. Being a huge Gears of war fan I was looking forward to a new title, new weapons and Overrun Mode. And ultimately, I find myself SEVERELY disappointed. I will say the game brings to unique aspects that I did enjoy, but it's glaring flaws outnumber any advancements that game adds. As I mentioned,I decided to write this review because I'm one of the people that got Judgement on release day. Being a huge Gears of war fan I was looking forward to a new title, new weapons and Overrun Mode. And ultimately, I find myself SEVERELY disappointed. I will say the game brings to unique aspects that I did enjoy, but it's glaring flaws outnumber any advancements that game adds. As I mentioned, the game does some things right: The addition of "Declassified" missions is a pretty fun take on the general Gears formula. Some missions require the the area to completed in a certain time span, other require the use of certain weapons for example; in any case, it brings in a new level of "challenge" to the Gears formula, that's much appreciated. These declassified missions are of course optional, but unlock various multiplayer items.

Overrun mode is a solid addition to the Gears of War formula as well. I will say playing as the Locust provides more entertainment than Cog; both Locust and Cog gain "Points" for achieving various objects, healing allies, killing enemies, etc. But ONLY Locust get to use these "Points" for purchasing upgraded Locust minions, such as a Mauler, or Corpser. Cog get nothing, just a competition for who can get the most points. I feel like perhaps the designers could've given the Cog access to upgraded weapons, grenades or powers to spend their "Points" on, but there is nothing. Overrun is is a fun game mode, but it still leaves players with the feeling that the game mode could encompass so much more and not just be a run off of the Gears version of Team Fortress or Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory.

Now on to the bad news: This isn't you traditional Gears of War multiplayer experience. I understand that People Can Fly has made an attempt to mainstream the series, but this is definitely a multipalyer experience that will upset the Gears diehards and really feels like a couple of steps back from Gears of War 3. To begin, players are limited to four game types: Free for All, Team Deathmatch, Domination and Overrun (VIP players get 4 more game types... Just the VIP version of each of these that offer no additional maps, no additional benefits other than double experience). Players also get the aptly named "Survival" mode, which is similar to Overrun, but against computer Locust; this is like "Horde" mode, but limited to 10 waves, and you're stuck in rigid classes.

In any case, back to the standard multiplayer it seems a little rushed and severely numbed down. To begin, you now can select one of up to seven primary weapons to start with (Shotguns are now considered "primary") and you get your Snub Pistol.. Not only that, but you only get two weapons to switch between (with the "Y" button) and your Grenade (which you also can choose between 5 grenades to start with). Being able to select such a variety of weapons and grenades before you spawn severely limits battles over the weapon drops on the maps.

Judgement also removes from multiplayer, some key concepts brought about by the Gears saga (but oddly enough are kept in Campaign). The first is downing opponents and executions. No more human shields, no more stunning visuals of smacking the heads off your foes with the Longshot like Tiger Woods teeing off at the Masters, now you just kill (except in Overrun). No tagging walls with Grenades to step up mines. In fact, there's not even a bullet power bonus from Active Reloads any longer (just fire speed).

Really with all the changes, many of the weapons have become underwhelming. The weakness of the Lancer, the inaccuracy of the Retro Lancer, the weakness of the Hammerburst without the bonus power of an perfect active reload, just don't seem to do enough damage. Also, Sniper Rifles and Torque Bows just don't seem to have the same effect in Judgement as they did in game past. Multiplayer in Judgement has really become a Shotgun circle, with each team sprinting at each other, Gnashering or Sawed off until no one is left. With the other weapons becoming so Underwhelming (well minus the Boomshot, Booshka and the explosives), why would a player want to pick any other weapon? The cover mechanics of Gears feel very gimped when your target is 100ft away and they rush straight at you, eat an entire Lancer clip and manage to one shot you with a Shotgun, or survive 4 shots from a Marzka, but can kill you mid range with four Shotgun shots. The multiplayer experience seems like it was rushed, or was developed by entirely different team than the campaign. Even fun additions, like being able to wield a shield with any primary weapon, are overshadowed by the flaws in game play. The sad part is, the maps are very well designed but aren't really appreciated due to the imbalances in game play.

In summary, this game does have some great additions to the series, but takes so much out of the Gears experience, it feels like a step in the wrong direction after such a great experience with gears of War 3.
  27. Mar 25, 2013
    People Can Fly did great and I can see them getting better and better at it. I am an avid Bulletstorm lover. So I've played GOW 1, 2, 3, and now Judgement. I'm mostly a campaign player, not a big MP player. I love the Gears world and have enjoyed every game including now Judgement. I won't agree that this installment has lost the GOW soul, it's just different so it's going to make aPeople Can Fly did great and I can see them getting better and better at it. I am an avid Bulletstorm lover. So I've played GOW 1, 2, 3, and now Judgement. I'm mostly a campaign player, not a big MP player. I love the Gears world and have enjoyed every game including now Judgement. I won't agree that this installment has lost the GOW soul, it's just different so it's going to make a lot of hardcore GOW fans mad. I like the control modifications they have made and if it's a little more like COD controls, so what? I for one am glad it's not as difficult as GOW1 (which was hard as hell on Casual) and possibly is a little easier than 2 and 3 too. Play on Insane if you want that ultimate challenge, but my playthroughs on Normal were really fun with some really furious shootouts, and the end boss fight against Karn was cool also! I'm going to try Hardcore mode next. OK, the locust AI should have been a little smarter, each episodic mission piece should have been a little longer (most were only 5 to 10 minutes it seemed), and they missed out on great dialogue possibilities from Baird and Cole which really surprised me so I'm knocking 2 points down for those misses but hey it's more GOW, it doesn't suck, and I personally hope they keep doing them. Expand
  28. Mar 22, 2013
    It reminds me of "when critics and gamers disagree" situation. This is the weakest Gears game, played them all. It should be dlc instead of full price game. It looks like People Can Fly got clear instruction: create few missions, do not screw up original game mechanics. It sooo the same, campaign is boooring and story is completely flat. Then you have extra campaign mission. I thought:It reminds me of "when critics and gamers disagree" situation. This is the weakest Gears game, played them all. It should be dlc instead of full price game. It looks like People Can Fly got clear instruction: create few missions, do not screw up original game mechanics. It sooo the same, campaign is boooring and story is completely flat. Then you have extra campaign mission. I thought: "yes, it could not be that bad, here is where Gears begins, its dark and feels like Gears" but then it finishes right away. Narration type is of the worst possible kind, retrospection. This means nothing bad will happen to the one who is speaking, and all squad is speaking. 3 minutes short levels do not help either. On the contrary it is very bad idea, becouse all atmosphere is immediately lost. Minor changes to multi and few new maps is much too less to grade this game as high as metacritic average. Weak and boring to me. Expand
  29. Mar 30, 2013
    I am a long time gears of war fan but honestly, anybody who gave this game more than a 5 is either a fanboy, doesn't know gears or games or both. this is game is an insult to gears of war ESPECIALLY multiplayer. They took out DBNO, meatshields,executions, active reloads and wall tagging frags. They also took out the ability to have a tertiary weapon. In other words you can only have oneI am a long time gears of war fan but honestly, anybody who gave this game more than a 5 is either a fanboy, doesn't know gears or games or both. this is game is an insult to gears of war ESPECIALLY multiplayer. They took out DBNO, meatshields,executions, active reloads and wall tagging frags. They also took out the ability to have a tertiary weapon. In other words you can only have one big weapon and a pistol with a grenade to start each match. there is no horde and the campaign is, quite frankly, boring; it's stale. the only half decent part of the campaign is "aftermath" and I'm pretty sure it's a lost DLC from gears of war 3. I beat the campaign because that's how much hope I had in the game, telling myself "the story will get better" but to no avail. people can fly are trash for even allowing themselves to think of this as a game. all they did was make a game, skin their character with the franchise game, slap on the gears name and told us real fans that it's gears of war it's not. I recommend this game to no one Expand
  30. Mar 24, 2013
    I went into Gears of War: Judgment with high hopes but after playing the multiplayer for countless hours, I just can't reccomend this game. First, there are only 4 maps to play on. Just 4! It is like they did it on purpose so that people will buy the season pass to get more maps. The weapons have been dumbed down so much. The Gnasher is nowhere near the level it was in any of the previousI went into Gears of War: Judgment with high hopes but after playing the multiplayer for countless hours, I just can't reccomend this game. First, there are only 4 maps to play on. Just 4! It is like they did it on purpose so that people will buy the season pass to get more maps. The weapons have been dumbed down so much. The Gnasher is nowhere near the level it was in any of the previous Gears games. The gameplay feels overall just not as good as Gears 3. Nothing has changed that much with this game. They took out what made Gears, Gears (DBNO, Locust vs human battles) and replaced it with elements that just don't fit. As much as I want to reccomend this game, I just can't. It is more like an expansion with the good taken out of the game. Save your cash, this game is not worth it. I will probably trade my copy in shortly. Expand

1. Hyper Magazine
    May 9, 2013
    It's Gears 3, minus pacing and ambition. It's still fantastically enjoyable, but it's easily the least interesting Gears game. [June 2013, p.64]
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    Judgment shows that the People Can Fly team knows its way around triple-A titles. They managed to squeeze a lot out of Unreal Engine 3 – the game looks great even compared to Crysis 3, which set new standards in terms of visuals, also on consoles. And when the technology restrained them, they creatively found a way around limitations. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.60]
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Judgment feels a bit like an excuse to provide the Xbox 360 with one last first-party game for what is likely to be its final year as Microsoft’s flagship game platform.