5.5

1. Mar 19, 2013
    As a "Gear Head" the game's single player heavily relied on its combat and presented me with many different ways to approach them. With smart AI you wont be fighting the same enemies if you wipe in single player. I completed the campaign in coop, with the game's matching making filling in those empty spots is a breeze. Also God of War was not the right GOW to purchase. I like PSY
  2. Jan 8, 2016
    People Can Fly have done something new with the series. The core gameplay is still in place, but the emphasis is now on more arcade-style action. Level's are smaller and more close quarters. This leads to conflicts and levels that are shorter in length, but do a better job of ensuring that you are constantly in the center of the action.

The Gears of War series has always been a cover

The Gears of War series has always been a cover shooter. However in this entry I barely used it. With conflicts being so hectic, taking place in close quarters, and the focus on scoring stars this entry really changes how you approach Gears' combat. The new spawn system that changes up enemy types and where they pop up at each time you play through a level is novel, if not always noticeable. It does a decent job of ensuring you aren't facing the exact same challenges on repeat playthroughs.

Another great addition is the inclusion of "Declassified" missions. These new challenges allow you to get stars faster by upping the challenges you'll face. Things like reduced visibility, time-limits, and the restriction of only certain weapon types do a great job of changing up the game and adding some extra tension and challenge.

The reason you'll want to get these stars is so you can unlock more content. Specifically the "Aftermath" campaign. Aftermath takes place after Judgment during Gears of War 3. It serves as a way of letting us know the final fate of the game's new characters. Not only that, but the combat and level design ditches the new style in favor of the standard formula. It's basically kind of like a story DLC for Gears of War and it's inclusion is a nice touch.

As for the story itself it's pretty solid, if a tad disappointing. It's cool to get a look at the conflict when it was just getting started. The issue is that it takes a while for the new characters to get fleshed out and once they finally start to get interesting the end of the campaign isn't far behind. Baird and Cole's personalities also aren't as colorful as they are in the main games. That all changes during the Aftermath portion however.

As far as presentation goes this could very well be the best looking game of last gen. Bright, vivid colors replace the typical shades of brown and gray and give the world more life. It's a gorgeous sight to behold.

The multiplayer part of the game is basically what you would expect. While People Can Fly were making the new campaign, Epic Games was working on the multiplayer. The results are familiar. A new mode called "Overrun" is quite a blast. A survival mode replaces Hoard mode, but it's basically just Overrun with bots. Despite little innovation and only a handful of modes the experience is still fun. It's biggest issue is just that there aren't many people online.

Despite some stumbling in it's multiplayer portion, "Judgment" still manages to impress thanks to a new approach to it's single-player offerings. It's action packed, frantic, and an all around adrenaline rush. It's a much needed breath of fresh air for the series and a heck of a lot of fun. Gears of War does something truly different and it pays off in the end. There's also plenty of reasons to come back thanks to a plethora of unlockable goodies. Purist Gearheads might be turned off by the new focus of combat and the step back in scale, but overall I think it's hard to not appreciate the excellence of the series combat even in this new format.

I give the game an 8.4/10.
  3. May 24, 2015
    Such hate because it's not quite the same Gears game. Yeah, it's inferior to Gow2 and 3 (I think it's probably a little better than the original due to how much more content it has), but it's still fun. The metacritic score of 79 is about right. The campaign is less enjoyable than ever not only because the story is mediocre but because the whole campaign is split into little segments soSuch hate because it's not quite the same Gears game. Yeah, it's inferior to Gow2 and 3 (I think it's probably a little better than the original due to how much more content it has), but it's still fun. The metacritic score of 79 is about right. The campaign is less enjoyable than ever not only because the story is mediocre but because the whole campaign is split into little segments so they can keep giving you challenges to apply to each little part. I prefer the longer, larger scale battles of 2 and 3 to this type of campaign, although it's still a pretty good campaign (7/10, I'd say). There's nothing wrong with the multiplayer or co-op but nothing is "standout", either. Why an 8? Well, I really enjoy the overrun mode, which is like a multiplayer version of horde mode. Kind of imbalanced or not, it can provide hours of fun. On top of this, there's jus a lot of content, just like GoW3. The content isn't quite to that level, but this game is at least a 7.5/10 in my opinion. Again, I understand the hate and I was kind of disappointed, too, but it still stands as a good game with plenty of content (oh, and mroe new guns). Expand
  4. Mar 6, 2017
    My first impression on this game..wasn't that possitive. At first I was so in love with the graphics and details in a game, but the problem was when I needed to confront with enemies. I could not shoot that well and it was annoying, because I was killed sooner than I expected or I was blown down to the floor. But then I played more and more with my friend. I was coming closer and much moreMy first impression on this game..wasn't that possitive. At first I was so in love with the graphics and details in a game, but the problem was when I needed to confront with enemies. I could not shoot that well and it was annoying, because I was killed sooner than I expected or I was blown down to the floor. But then I played more and more with my friend. I was coming closer and much more brave to the opponents to shoot and fight them. The more and more you play the more pleasant and enjoyable the game was. Everything it this game is just amazingly beautiful, I was looking up to even a small details on the wall! Standing there with my friend and we were admired to the views! The colours are just wonderful. The equipment in a game is full to choose for your own prefer. There is a lot of weapons to kill locust or bigger opponents. You have also some kind of base when your enemies will attack (the time is count down from the time you will kill a few of the locust and then have time to reload the weapon for example and time to take a breathe or think of the strategy) and you need to protect yourself and use the heavier weapons like quick-firing gun to not let the opponents enter the stair to get closer to you. I ended full game with my friend in almost one day! I haven't play any other part of the GOW yet, but I am going to for sure. I already bought GOW 1. In my opinion it's one of the best game of Xbox 360. Noone will regret playing that awesome, joyful, beautiful and fun game. This game with graphic is on much higher level than we can expected from this console. I may say it's as good as next gen consoles graphic in this game Expand
  5. Jun 1, 2013
    Gears of war judgment is a great addition to the gears franchise. The campaign is great except for the final boss which is way to easy. The new mode overrun is a great thing it offers somethings that players have wanted and we have finally received. As a huge gears fan some things were bad like how horde mode something that changed the series was removed and replaced by survival which is aGears of war judgment is a great addition to the gears franchise. The campaign is great except for the final boss which is way to easy. The new mode overrun is a great thing it offers somethings that players have wanted and we have finally received. As a huge gears fan some things were bad like how horde mode something that changed the series was removed and replaced by survival which is a huge letdown compared to the amazing horde mode. Expand
  6. Mar 21, 2013
    Here is a review from a long time Gears fan.

Here is a review from a long time Gears fan.

Campaign: Very fast and very fractured. The campaign lacks the epic feel of the third game to be honest. I know this is a new game and all but the campaign is broken up into small 5-6 minute chunks that dont seem to have very much effect on the story besides getting from point A to point B. The declassified missions are a very fun bonus to activate to change up the campaign and get you out of your comfort zone. But the way they are executed makes the campaign feel more like an arcade-like shooter. Shooting as fast as possible to get through the missions quickly. It distracts what has truly captivated me about gears, the beauty and detail. Some of my most memorable moments were in the very beginning of gears 3 when I was on the bridge as Cole. The highway was stretched out over the ocean and it was turned into a make-shift locust camp. Off in the distance was a huge statue over an ocean. It captivated me that I was in this unique universe. I could take my time to admire these things. I feel like I cannot in this installment. The campaign keeps you moving. There is never a quiet moment to just take in the beauty. Some declassified even want you to finish in a certain amount of time rushing the level even more. The way the enemies are placed is what makes it feel quick. You always have to keep moving forward as they continue spawning. Then they end the level and throw you in another one. I was a huge fan of the aftermath campaign though. Was a nice addition. Story was alright and the narration did help tell the story. The characters for the most part were not memorable. Baird lacked his charm and Cole lacked his well, Cole Train attitude. The other two didn't stand out enough to me to warrant being new additions to the gears universe. Multiplayer: The most talked about I am sure. And this is where gears has always shined bright. New additions to multiplayer include the new Overrun mode and domination. Lets start with regular versus. I have never been a fan of shotgun fights in gears. To me they lacked the tactical fighting and use of cover. They always seemed to boil down to the exact same fight every time. Gears 3 started to prove me wrong when they introduced the retro lancer and sawed-off (which surprisingly I did not hate and knew how to counter). But they were quickly dismissed and you received many hateful comments if you used anything but a gnasher. In the versus mode the maps are way more open and way more vertical. They make for a pleasant change to the usual fare of close and tight maps. At the same time this opens up a lot more options for flanking and tactics. At times the maps did seem a little too big and that I was wandering around looking for enemies on certain maps. I really enjoyed these new maps myself along with the new weapon selection. It truly felt like how gears multiplayer should be. Of course the hardcore fanbase will argue that this is not "true gears" but you cannot just remake the wallbouncing gnasher fest that the first 3 games were. Domination is a load of fun and works with this game. Team deathmatch is sadly the only returning mode, as enjoyable as it is I will miss execution and king of the hill. Free for all is a very interesting choice as opposed to wingman which has been so popular in the past. Overall versus made some very bold choices some in the right direction and others not so much. Overrun is possibly my favorite addition to this game. It is furious and tactical. Good cooperation makes or breaks a team. Doesn't matter how good of a shot you are, if you dont work together you are all dead. It is an interesting mechanic that really stresses teamwork and it really works. It was such a blast to fight as humans as your defenses were pushed back and to fight as locust destroying barricades and taking down turrets. The classes actually work for this mode. Every class has its strengths and if you all use them properly you will prosper. Survival is the Human Vs. AI overrun essentially. It is a chance to try and be the new horde mode. Sadly it is not the same good time horde mode was and it doesnt feel the same fighting against AI.
    Overall: The game is great fun. Although the continuity feels a bit off. There are certain things you can do in campaign that you cannot in versus for example; active reload, DBNO, picking up teammates by scruffing their hair. In conclusion the game is a blast to play it feels very fast paced. Sadly it feels like a relatively small package, not that many maps, few game modes and not as many characters skins as previous installments. The game feels a bit skimpy to be a full fledged title to be released for 60 bucks. I feel this new developer can do a good job with the gears universe. It just needs to be done on the standards that Epic has set.
  7. Mar 20, 2013
    I'm not going to sit here and say this is better then all Gears games because it's truly not and obviously it shouldn't be because there are some new makers in the game with newer idea's. Judgement gives a newer feeling to Gears because honestly all Game series have to come to an end eventually and after Gears of War 3 I personally don't think they should continue though a prequel justI'm not going to sit here and say this is better then all Gears games because it's truly not and obviously it shouldn't be because there are some new makers in the game with newer idea's. Judgement gives a newer feeling to Gears because honestly all Game series have to come to an end eventually and after Gears of War 3 I personally don't think they should continue though a prequel just like any other game isn't always bad. If your a hardcore Gears fan you won't like this because it's really different though I am a gamer and I give everything a chance and I love this game because I have fun playing it, it's new and it doesn't feel the same and boring all Gears constantly because it just isn't fun playing the same thing only remastered with a new campaign. If you like trying new things buy the game and give it a chance. If you wanna complain because it isn't the same then stick to your Gears of War 3. Simple. Being a gamer means you play anything to become better at it. Expand
  8. Mar 20, 2013

Multiplayer review only...

First of all, if you’re a true gears of war fan, you will like this game. I am not sure you will love it, but you will like it. That being said, I think people fail to realize the greatness that went into the game. Now my review will be on multiplayer alone. I have not played the campaign, nor will I for a while. Ever since I've gotten an Xbox 360 and played games online, I rarely play them alone. Now let me address a few things. I think people are coming to want things to be perfect out the box. I haven't played a game that was better out the box then it was when I stopped playing it due to updates, patches, etc. Gears of war 1 was not the same game out the box. Even though it is my favorite gears and had the best game play in my opinion, that’s not how the game started off. When gears first came out, you could down people and unlimited amount of times. People would down guys for half the match to boost their points. There was also the sliding feature, something that us gears players would refer to as the "ICE MAN" slide, where you could pick up a weapon and glide around for 2 seconds before you had it in your hand. These glitches were removed and it gave us a better game overall and is the gears we all remember. Now getting back to GOW judgment, this is an excellent multiplayer offering, with a few changes that you may or may not like, but it’s not a reason to trade the game in within the first 3 hours of playing it. I really feel that people don’t know how to give things a chance. There are only 4 maps, but they are all great, and huge and more are coming in less than 2 weeks. Also too, execution is making its way back as well, so that’s something to look forward too.

The speed of the game feels like a mix between gears 1 and 3. You pick up weapons faster than ever now, and the shotty is more reliable then gears 2,and 3.

So here are my pros and cons:

Pros
    -it feels like gears
    -y button makes for easy switching
    -no more down shots, (I like this because they already took the down shot from the sniper in previous gears so what’s the point of it being in the game)
    - The Shotty is a little better than 3, but still not as good as one.
    -maps feel like gears but they add more too the game like different heights and elements of surprise.
    -New weapons
    -You can throw grenades on people and stick them. [[ASIN:B002I0H2AG Gears of War: Judgment]]

cons
    - You don’t get downed any more, you just die
    - You can't pick up your teammates any more, or pick up enemies and use them as a meat shield
    - You can’t stick grenades to things any more
    - Not sure if I like the special grenades yet.
    - Melee is faster and only takes two to kill you.

In the end, I love the game. There are things that I have to get used to, but I got on and had a ball as if I was playing it for a few months. They might even patch these things in a little while. I just can’t see how people can hate the game because there are only 4 maps? That’s a factor that will change in the next 2 weeks. Not that big of a deal to me I guess.
  9. Mar 20, 2013
    "GEARS OF WAR JUDGMENT is a serviceable addition to the GEARS saga while offering refreshing new ways to enjoy one of the best third person shooters around. The new additions are interesting & fresh while keeping that silky smooth GEARS feel to it that fans have come to love.

While it does falter at times & suffers from extreme familiarity, this is a good addition to the series. It does feel a bit rushed & the storyline is pretty forgettable even for GEARS OF WAR standards. But the multiplayer is still solid & the Declassified mission structure helps keep the campaign varied throughout.

If you’re a fan of GEARS OF WAR, this game is clearly for you. Just don’t expect the second coming of Jesus from this one & you’ll have a fun time."

Read my full review here: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EygjQvoq
  10. Mar 21, 2013
    Ok to be blunt this is not the best story in the franchise but its not the worse. I think the combat in this game is very frantic and fun, it got more intense then maybe any of the other games. The multiplayer overtime may get to be the best, the overrun mode alone is worth the price.
  11. Mar 23, 2013
    I used to count on a mix of user reviews with critic reviews to get a good feel for a new game and rather or not it is worth buying. Now with all long running big budget games I see way too many 1s and 0s by these games. (I have played them all and none deserve those ratings!!) All reviews under 4 are clearly trolls and over 10 sound way too much like fanboys, although I can believe thatI used to count on a mix of user reviews with critic reviews to get a good feel for a new game and rather or not it is worth buying. Now with all long running big budget games I see way too many 1s and 0s by these games. (I have played them all and none deserve those ratings!!) All reviews under 4 are clearly trolls and over 10 sound way too much like fanboys, although I can believe that there are some of you who actually like the game that much. Everyone else actually has something useful to offer. Review of GOW Judgment:

Overall I personally would give this game a 8.8, but I rounded up as giving it an 8 was a little too low. In many ways this game plays the same as the others, but the developers took a few chances and changed a few key aspects of each game mode. I would not say they are vast improvements, just an enjoyable different spin.

Breakdown:

Graphics: 9.2 This area got a little bit of an upgrade from 3. Nice lighting and good effects. The enemies are a bit easilier to spot.

Gameplay: 8.8 Same as before with changing how weapons switch. You lose a weapon slot but gain a quicker weapon switch. Throwing grenades is easier too. Same flaws from previous games are still present.

Story: 7.8 I like the new approach in story telling, but the game does seem a bit less epic. I personally would liked if emergence day more of a focus. Villain not as interesting.

Campaign: 8.5 I know some don't like the arcade options, but I for one really like ways I can challenge myself. They are afterall options and adding different play options is rarely a bad thing. I grew up on old school arcade games so bring on the arcade modes! (they are what sold me on getting this game) Campaign is on the short side. Aftermath is a nice mini campaign to unlock.

Multiplayer: 8.9 I love overrun. It is my new favorite multiplayer mode. Team I liked a little less then 3. I like survival for good quick arcade mode fix, but I miss horde. Had they included it, this would have been hands down the best gears multiplayer game.

Overall 8.8
  12. Mar 23, 2013
    I though this Gears game was a lot more fluid than previous games. The mechanics to me seemed smoother and for once in multiplayer when I actually shot people they died. Which didn't happen a lot in other Gears games if you used a Lancer. Overall I was a bit shocked to see such low scores. The single player campaign narrative wasn't my style, just get on with it. But the new weaponsI though this Gears game was a lot more fluid than previous games. The mechanics to me seemed smoother and for once in multiplayer when I actually shot people they died. Which didn't happen a lot in other Gears games if you used a Lancer. Overall I was a bit shocked to see such low scores. The single player campaign narrative wasn't my style, just get on with it. But the new weapons seemed to fit, I thought they might seem out of place with it being a prequel. The Declassified missions seemed more like a gimmick than anything, but does add a bit of replay value to a mission. I think they have done a good job overall in making the game flow a lot better. Expand
  13. Mar 20, 2013
    Honestly didn't thought that i will be able to experience a better gears than gears 3 in this generation. i was wrong. the game rocks!!! better graphics especially the character models are incredible, for multiplayer the best just got better, although fewer multiplayer maps is a con, but overall is crazy. It's the most colorful gears indeed and it's a very good prologue for a next genHonestly didn't thought that i will be able to experience a better gears than gears 3 in this generation. i was wrong. the game rocks!!! better graphics especially the character models are incredible, for multiplayer the best just got better, although fewer multiplayer maps is a con, but overall is crazy. It's the most colorful gears indeed and it's a very good prologue for a next gen gears. No need to speak about gameplay. it's a kind of its own! Expand
  14. Mar 21, 2013
    Wtf with those bad reviews?

I mean, I can understand there is bad review but not that much for a really good game!

The only downfall of this episode is for the player who did all the previous episodes! If it's your first one, like me, it's an awesome game
  15. Mar 20, 2013
    What can I say about my enticement of Gears of War. I went into this game a little skeptical and cautious, this was the first Gears not developed by Epic which worried me, but it was headed by a studio who made a great game by the name of Bulletstorm and was also owned by Epic so it wasnt to far from the roots like Halo and 343. The game keeps a brisk pace through its campaign, that,What can I say about my enticement of Gears of War. I went into this game a little skeptical and cautious, this was the first Gears not developed by Epic which worried me, but it was headed by a studio who made a great game by the name of Bulletstorm and was also owned by Epic so it wasnt to far from the roots like Halo and 343. The game keeps a brisk pace through its campaign, that, without the massive set pieces we are accustomed to, was decent in its own right, despite the final boss being rather on the easy and anti climactic side. It holds up to the other three, not surpassing but its up there. The multiplayer is superb, I just wish original game types were there, and the new Overrun mode is enough to warrant multiple replays in that department. The departure of horde had me a little upset, and survival is good but doesnt hold a torch to Horde. The control scheme will take getting used to, but it still plays like Gears and thats all that matters, right? Its a solid addition to the already great franchise, hopefully expansion will bring other content besides the basic map pack and skin customization. Expand
  16. Mar 23, 2013
    The campaign with its introduction of 'declassified missions' and new method of storytelling is by far the best one since 2. However, the multiplayer unit as it stands only comes with 4 versus maps and 4 overrun maps, a rather weak package. Two free maps come out in April, and six are included in the season pass, but comparatively to 3, this is still minimal. A few changes for the better,The campaign with its introduction of 'declassified missions' and new method of storytelling is by far the best one since 2. However, the multiplayer unit as it stands only comes with 4 versus maps and 4 overrun maps, a rather weak package. Two free maps come out in April, and six are included in the season pass, but comparatively to 3, this is still minimal. A few changes for the better, a few changes for the worse. Not the best Gears, but does enough different that its worth an investment. Expand
  17. Mar 20, 2013
    El juego tiene gráficos excelentes, tiene una historia interesante y un grado de dificultad bastante bueno el modo multiplayer es interesante ya que contiene nuevas modalidades para esta franquicia
  18. Mar 25, 2013
    People Can Fly did great and I can see them getting better and better at it. I am an avid Bulletstorm lover. So I've played GOW 1, 2, 3, and now Judgement. I'm mostly a campaign player, not a big MP player. I love the Gears world and have enjoyed every game including now Judgement. I won't agree that this installment has lost the GOW soul, it's just different so it's going to make aPeople Can Fly did great and I can see them getting better and better at it. I am an avid Bulletstorm lover. So I've played GOW 1, 2, 3, and now Judgement. I'm mostly a campaign player, not a big MP player. I love the Gears world and have enjoyed every game including now Judgement. I won't agree that this installment has lost the GOW soul, it's just different so it's going to make a lot of hardcore GOW fans mad. I like the control modifications they have made and if it's a little more like COD controls, so what? I for one am glad it's not as difficult as GOW1 (which was hard as hell on Casual) and possibly is a little easier than 2 and 3 too. Play on Insane if you want that ultimate challenge, but my playthroughs on Normal were really fun with some really furious shootouts, and the end boss fight against Karn was cool also! I'm going to try Hardcore mode next. OK, the locust AI should have been a little smarter, each episodic mission piece should have been a little longer (most were only 5 to 10 minutes it seemed), and they missed out on great dialogue possibilities from Baird and Cole which really surprised me so I'm knocking 2 points down for those misses but hey it's more GOW, it doesn't suck, and I personally hope they keep doing them. Expand
  19. Mar 20, 2013
    Im giving this game a 10 to offset the large amount of people who give zeros just because the game has popularity. I recently played the game and it feels much more balanced and a lot less about hiding with shotguns,and the makes for a much more fun game.
  20. Mar 20, 2013
    First off, I don't believe this game deserves a 10. I'm rating it a 10 to combat the 0's and 1's who can't handle change.

Let me begin by stating that this, in its own right, is a great game. Every battle is unique, I've died on one part and when I retried, it was a completely different set of enemies that attacked. That's a huge plus you need to be able to actually use weapons and their strengths/weaknesses to your advantage instead of spraying and praying (I'm talking hardcore+ not on easy of course). I've seen reviews say that you're not supposed to use cover as much as previous games. I don't know if I necessarily believe this as I've used cover as much if not more than previous games, especially using the sniper rifle. Again, true to the roots.

Secondly, the game is a prequel and designed to be a filler in the Gears series, it's not really a main numbered entry. I get it, I understand how you all don't want things to change, but come on. This was a great filler into the back stories of Cole and Baird, plus two new intriguing characters. There's also a kind of continuation of Gears 3 once you obtain enough stars. Thirdly, the multiplayer is pretty cool. I like the mode overrun and the objective based modes in this game. Once you play the campaign through on Hardcore+, you have a decent understanding of what most weapons do, their strengths/weaknesses, and this definitely helps in multiplayer. Listen, games change, developers change, and ultimately, whether you like it or not, it is all about making that money for the company who produces and releases the game. We, as fans, are lucky they continue to make more entries to our favorite series.

If the company continues to rehash what they've been doing without introducing new elements, everyone is going to complain just as much, probably more. People want shoot-em-up's, people want achievements, people want something to strive for. The company just added that in to maximize market potential. It's life. Halo changed, Metroid changed, Zelda changed, Mario changed, Final Fantasy changed, all franchises change to sell games. It's a part of video game life. The only franchise that hasn't is Call of Duty and everyone complains how that's "THE SAME GAME WITH DIFFERENT GUNS AND MAPS" too. I swear, you all will find something to nitpick and complain about everything.

The only thing that bothers me about this game's campaign is how choppy it is. I hate the storyline being broken up by my accumulation of stars. I hate the declassify thing, albeit I can see why they added it, but it really adds to the arcade-choppy feel of the game. And without them, you barely get one star per. This is the only aspect of the game that I can say made me want to turn and run. The rest is brilliant.

This is a good game. If you liked any of the series and want to learn more about Cole and Baird while getting an action-packed ride, pick this up.

21. Mar 20, 2013
    This game is an advancement of the series that follows a safe route. The good frantic and hectic battles with many more enemies than in previous games. Fights are more intense with flanking and charging and varied enemies. Declassify missions add another level of challenge and replayability. Graphics are gorgeous especially the improved lighting effects. (I cannot wait for next genThis game is an advancement of the series that follows a safe route. The good frantic and hectic battles with many more enemies than in previous games. Fights are more intense with flanking and charging and varied enemies. Declassify missions add another level of challenge and replayability. Graphics are gorgeous especially the improved lighting effects. (I cannot wait for next gen Gears). Matchmaking so far seems fair and balanced with quick connections to matches. Little if any noticeable lag. What could be better and can be solved through DLC is addition of Horde mode which is missing. Also there is a small number of versus multiplayer maps. I am hoping they will add more with DLC as well. Overall its another Gears game, maybe not in a grand scale type of manner, buts its more Gears and that is a good thing. Expand
  22. Mar 21, 2013
    at least its better than the twilight movies they were very horrible and this game is great even though u don't that emotional weight the original series but hey way better than those stupid games that came out earlier this year
  23. Mar 20, 2013
    Lovable story, tons of new multiplayer modes, and is tougher with the extra mission effects. But the parts are short, Baird and Cole are not funny, and once again the weapons are reused (But the Sawed-off is better.)
  24. Mar 20, 2013
    Absolutely love it. Obviously it was supposed to be a goodbye to the series but what a goodbye it is! Tons of killing, great graphics plus the structure of the campaign. I was afraid at first that it would not be treated with love, but the pcf studio delivered.
  25. Mar 21, 2013
    A solid effort on people can fly, the multiplayer even better the campaign while it is short its a very gorgeous game.i would suggest that it would be longer in the cutscenesm gears of war has a new hero:)
  26. Mar 19, 2013
    This game is a blast atm only 4 mp maps but 2 more and 2 more game types are coming for free on the 2nd of april i belive so if u can wait thatd probialy be best idea! GAme controles great ive had nothing but fun and playing all recent gears im likeing how people die in the sence of the person seems to die how hey should unlike previous one it took almost so much damage till the died orThis game is a blast atm only 4 mp maps but 2 more and 2 more game types are coming for free on the 2nd of april i belive so if u can wait thatd probialy be best idea! GAme controles great ive had nothing but fun and playing all recent gears im likeing how people die in the sence of the person seems to die how hey should unlike previous one it took almost so much damage till the died or got shot to peices. No blind fire has been a complaint i here and dont give a crap about its a game even if blind fire ur thing its a game and youll leArn to cope or just go playolder gears games! Expand
  27. Mar 19, 2013
    The formula has been tweaked, not completely redone. Developer People Can Fly teaming up with Epic Games is probably the best thing that could happen to Gears, Campaign mode finds Kilo Squad (Baird, Cole, and two new to the Gears universe Sofia and Paduk) recalling their journey that brought them to trial for treason and a few other crimes. You play through each characters testimony andThe formula has been tweaked, not completely redone. Developer People Can Fly teaming up with Epic Games is probably the best thing that could happen to Gears, Campaign mode finds Kilo Squad (Baird, Cole, and two new to the Gears universe Sofia and Paduk) recalling their journey that brought them to trial for treason and a few other crimes. You play through each characters testimony and it's intriguing enough to keep you playing and a fun story mode. Declassified missions manipulate a certain part of Gameplay to add a challenge but reward to each mission. This adds a refreshing variety to the Gears series that is very welcome. The multiplayer is top notch as ever. If you're reading this review you must have an idea of Overrun, which is somewhat similar to horde vs beast mode and it's phenomenal. The new domination mode mirrors annex with domination in most multiplayer games, with enough previous influence it's quite fun too. Free for All mode is great but with Domination it's confusing, usually COG vs COG soldiers and it's hard to differentiate between teammates in Domination. Survival takes place of Horde and while much like Overrun it doesn't feel as deep and rewarding playing against bots. Customization is abundant and plentiful, many ribbons and metals, skins, and rewards alike. I'll try to keep this more brief but Judgment is a must buy for any Gears fan and a damn good game in general, it's a fresh way to approach Gears and reinvigorate the series with new found life. Expand
  28. Mar 20, 2013
    Not number one in the series but deffinately number2 in my book. The story mode is just so fun and feels new while feeling classic at the same time. the lighting and visuals are a wonder to look at. Declassified missions make a huge difference. The gears banter is on the lighter side and less out there but still great. Multiplayer is so much better than I ever thought it could be. Being aNot number one in the series but deffinately number2 in my book. The story mode is just so fun and feels new while feeling classic at the same time. the lighting and visuals are a wonder to look at. Declassified missions make a huge difference. The gears banter is on the lighter side and less out there but still great. Multiplayer is so much better than I ever thought it could be. Being a huge Gears fan who has won over 3000 matches in each gears of war since Gears 1 was a little put off by People Can Fly taking over and Cliffy leaving and just all that put me off but the multiplayer Shines brighter than all! OverRun mode is Gears take on Rush Mode and Adding Domination and Free for All has just given the multiplayer some much needed depth. Hopefully guardian and King of the Hill come back but some Awesome gameplay will keep me here for a long time. The package has a lot to offer and this game deserves the 10/10. Expand
  29. Mar 20, 2013
    Judgment is literally as much fun as Gears of War 2. It doesn’t have this scope or severity one and three had, but it operates on a grand scale. I, for one, couldn’t be happier.
  30. Mar 26, 2013
    This game had a great campaign that fits into the GOW franchise as a prequel. I thought they did really well with the story and how you play as Baird. The aftermath campaign they added makes it even nicer, which shows you where Baird and Cole actually go to in GOW 3 when Marcus tell them to go get reinforcements. The multiplayer is ok and can be fun at times. I never really got into theThis game had a great campaign that fits into the GOW franchise as a prequel. I thought they did really well with the story and how you play as Baird. The aftermath campaign they added makes it even nicer, which shows you where Baird and Cole actually go to in GOW 3 when Marcus tell them to go get reinforcements. The multiplayer is ok and can be fun at times. I never really got into the multiplayer for gears except for horde mode on 3. Survival mode is not as good but its ok, but overrun is pretty fun. Overall great game and if you like gears you must check it out! Expand
  31. Mar 20, 2013

So here are my pros and cons:

Pros
    -it feels like gears
    -y button makes for easy switching
    - The Shotty is a little better than 3, but still not as good as one.
    -New weapons

cons
    - You don’t get downed any more, you just die
    - You can’t stick grenades to things any more
    - Not sure if I like the special grenades yet.
    - Melee is faster and only takes two to kill you.

1. Hyper Magazine
    May 9, 2013
    It's Gears 3, minus pacing and ambition. It's still fantastically enjoyable, but it's easily the least interesting Gears game. [June 2013, p.64]
  2. CD-Action
    May 7, 2013
    Judgment shows that the People Can Fly team knows its way around triple-A titles. They managed to squeeze a lot out of Unreal Engine 3 – the game looks great even compared to Crysis 3, which set new standards in terms of visuals, also on consoles. And when the technology restrained them, they creatively found a way around limitations. [CD-Action 05/2013, p.60]
  3. Apr 21, 2013
    Judgment feels a bit like an excuse to provide the Xbox 360 with one last first-party game for what is likely to be its final year as Microsoft’s flagship game platform.