7.9

1. Jan 4, 2013
    Easy to learn, but the tutorials dragged a bit. Easy to play, but it's repetitive and boring. Very nice-looking, but it all seems the same after a while. Basic, plain, average - give it a try and see what you think.
  2. Jan 11, 2013
    When this game works it is very fun. Here are 5 PROS and CONS to this game after putting in many hours and trying various Guardians.

PROS: 1) Quick games. Games rarely last longer than 20-30 minutes. 2) Good variety of Guardians from the LoTR universe with unique abilities. 3) A MOBA that works well with a controller! 4) Loadout system lets you customize your play-style easily. 5)

PROS:
    1) Quick games. Games rarely last longer than 20-30 minutes.
    2) Good variety of Guardians from the LoTR universe with unique abilities.
    3) A MOBA that works well with a controller!
    4) Loadout system lets you customize your play-style easily.
    5) Pretty good balance. No one character feels exceedingly too powerful.

CONS: 1) Lag, forced disconnects, and quitters make the game very difficult and not fun for most games I have played.
    2) Bots do not replace humans players who are disconnected or who quit, making a basically lost game for the team with less players.
    3) Limited community due to poor matchmaking and connectivity issues.
    4) Game + season pass far too expensive for the content and (lack of) developer support provided).
    5) Have called and checked the developer forums and customer service is non-existent.

A game that could be a hidden gem if not plagued by horrible connectivity issues that are driving all but the most die-hard players away. Developer should be ashamed by their lack of support and patches. This game has major issues - STAY AWAY unless a LoTR or MOBA fan!
  3. Dec 5, 2012
    quick games, great gameplay. AND ITS LORD OF THE RINGS!. How can it get any better. I've played Mobas for years, and this one appeals to me in a soft spot that none of the others can. My need for time (short games) and my love for middle earth.
  4. Feb 25, 2014
    This game would be awesome, but it has tons of connection issues. For an online game, you would think that you could complete over half of your games. But no, you just get disconnected, or (if you are lucky) only the rest of the players disconnect. This game is a lot of fun and would be at least 8/10 if the connection issues had a light at the end of the tunnel. But this game was releasedThis game would be awesome, but it has tons of connection issues. For an online game, you would think that you could complete over half of your games. But no, you just get disconnected, or (if you are lucky) only the rest of the players disconnect. This game is a lot of fun and would be at least 8/10 if the connection issues had a light at the end of the tunnel. But this game was released over a year ago and all I hear is that they are getting worse. If you buy this, good luck and do not expect to play many full matches. Expand
  5. Dec 12, 2012
    Incredibly fun, but limited by it's launch bugs.

Incredibly fun, but limited by it's launch bugs.

I have never been a fan of DotA, er, "MOBA" games in the past. Well, that's not entirely true, as I picked up Monday Night Combat when it was released on XBLA and still play it to this day. For the record, MNC was probably the first console DotA game out there, but most people missed it as that type of game due to the 3rd person view. That said, I did enjoy this game immensely, and since I hate using a mouse and keyboard to play games, I have been subliminally waiting for good console DotA/LoL clone to arrive.

I never expected that game to also use the LotR license!

After two weeks of playing this game, I am completely hooked. The guardians (champions) are all unique and fun to play, and everything seems shockingly balanced for a launch title. There is currently only one 3-lane and one 1-lane map, which is a little disappointing, but those who play games like LoL know that if you've seen one MOBA map you've usually seen them all anyways. The 3-lane games are fun and very strategic, but the 1-lane games are just ultimate ability spamfests, and are pretty terrible in my opinion. They rely a lot of guardians that have massive AoE damage abilities, and while these guardians are balanced fine in 3-lane maps, they tend to be OP in 1-lane. Simply solution: don't play 1-lane! It's not very fun anyways.

The game comes with a surprisingly deep upgrade system that relates to filling relics with gems that provide various buffs. The gems unlock as your guardian levels up in each game, and when all the gems in a relic unlock, the relic's larger buff will go into play. This unlocks unlimited possibilities with customization which sees many guardians going above and beyond their assumed class. Sadly, it can also cause some balance issues in games, but as with other MOBA games, it because about finding the best load out for your character, which is part of the fun.

The biggest issue with GoME right now is the flawed P2P matchmaking. I'm not going to detract score for this, because it is something the developers have actively stated they are working on. Monolith actually designed these game to work around Microsoft's crappy XBLA title update system, so that they can patch the game directly via a cloud update service. This means that updates don't take months to release, but sometimes just days. They release balance fixes for characters all the time, and have a larger patch planned to fix matchmaking issues. The thing is, even with more time spent waiting in queue than playing games, I still have a blast with GoME, which says a lot.

If you're someone who hasn't jumped into the world of MOBA (Multiplayer Open Battle Arena) games before, and you're a console gamer, give GoME a try. It's a damn solid game, and quite the pleasant surprise.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Feb 21, 2013
    Guardians of Middle-Earth is an entertaining tactical action RPG, which borrows its basic gameplay from the tried and tested DotA. [Feb 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    Feb 6, 2013
    Not only the first real MOBA game for consoles, but also one of the better ones in this sub-genre. There’s not many flaws I can point out in GoMe. If anything, I doubt its longevity – there are only 22 guardians to choose from and capabilities of building a community are much smaller than on PC. [CD-Action 02/2013, p.42]
  3. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Jan 29, 2013
    Monolith has managed to introduce a relatively difficult genre to consoles, only to fall at the simplest of hurdles. [Issue#94, p.79]