6.9

1. Nov 30, 2012
    All I can say about Halo 4 is that it is probably the best game I have ever played. The story is amazing, multiplayer is SEXY as hell and the Spartan Ops mode is juicy. I can never get enough of this game. If you are not a fan of Halo or have never played a Halo game, I don't care. Get this game. It's worth every penny. Hell its worth more than its retail price! 343i, thank you for this wonderful game and I can't wait for the next installment! Expand
  2. Nov 8, 2012
    This is coming from somebone who has played Halo since 2002 heres the pros and cons. PROS Amazing graphics that get better as you progress through the campaign. Brilliant sound design and musical score. Addictive gameplay. The series is in safe hands. Great story and voice acting. CONS The xbox 360 is starting to show its age (No fault of 343!) No control of audio mix No firefight The multiplayer should aim for 60fps + More player count in slayer in Halo 5 next gen (This is due to the aging 360 again)

All in all its a great game and im suprised just how good! worth your money.
  3. Nov 8, 2012
    Awesome game, and I've loved the Halo Franchise since Halo CE. It's similar to Call of Duty and Battlefield three, their fan's have joined a better game than Call of Duty and Battlefield. The multi-player platforms are great and campaign is fairly entertaining. I love all the new things they added to the multi-player experience! It's excellent. Definitely worth buying Halo 4.
  4. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Allow me to just say this: I've bought and played every single Halo game released since Halo:CE. I have also played the CoD and MoH series, and yet I can say this about Halo 4: it is by far one of the most amazing first-person shooter games I've seen. And that's saying something. In a genre where the basic aim of the game is "point and shoot," it can be amazingly difficult to have the game portray any sort of substance beyond the passing thrill of shooting the enemy in the face or performing trick shots. So when I played through the campaign (admittedly on Normal difficulty), I was absolutely stunned by how magnificent the story they chose to portray shone through. The love story, tragic and moving without being sexualized: brilliant. The graphical display of the rich environment of Requiem: stunning. The suspense, which after the Flood would have had a high bar to surpass: thrilling. Even just the fact that 343 Industries decided to so deeply entangle the game with the novels being published (a concerted effort, if I recall correctly, between the authors and 343 Industries to expand the Halo canon ala Star Wars) made the game so much more interesting and intriguing.

Now then, what about the similarities, one might ask, with CoD? Now, I don't personally understand the hate between CoD and Halo fans (thinking as I do that it is just plainly stupid, since both series are great in their own separate story frames), but I can also recognize that some of the complaints of long-time Halo players regarding similar motifs is true. The rotating UNSC shield is very reminiscent of the CoD loading screens. A few other things did remind me of CoD, but is that why my score is not a 10? No.

These complaints are, at heart, irrevelant. FPS games, we must realize, run on the same generic platform framework. You have a gun, there are enemies, so shoot them in the face. Or anywhere else you want to shoot them. Everything else is just polish. Is your radar to the left or right, bottom or top, how the shield bar works, whether you have quicktime events or not...that's all just extras, so the idea that a game is inferior because similarities have cropped up with another game is ridiculous, as they all share the same basic idea.

So why is the score 9/10 rather than 10/10? For me, it was the end boss. It wasn't the quicktime event, however. If done right, a quicktime event can become just as thrilling as an actual boss fight, particularly as it means the story requires that the boss die in a certain way (usually to later explain how he/she/it survived and is coming back to bite you in the rear for not finishing him off properly). Rather, it was that the entire sequence was so short. Even then, it melded so well with the campaign's story that it didn't even bother me all that much. That's my only real gripe with the campaign, and I've yet to see a problem with the Multiplayer, so I won't even go there.

In short, 343 Industries have created a resounding success in their first foray into the Halo world. I can't wait to see what they'll come up with next. Hopefully, the 2nd Forerunner-Human War!
  5. Nov 12, 2012
    Halo is back in my opinion. Nothing beats or can compare to the very first Halo which is what I have been chasing fro years now like a drug. I actually enjoyed the campaign and did not skip the cut scenes like every other game in the last few years. I felt invested, I felt it mattered to know what was going on and what my next objective would be. The Spartan Ops definitely adds longevity to this game when you are done with the campaign and you can level up and customize as well. The multiplayer has changed or evolved and is a welcome change for me. Overall this game was a surprise hit for me. I purchased the game off of the Microsoft store with $25 credit. $35 and very well spent, just wow! The new weapons, the new enemies, the new locations, new vehicles. I do feel like I am always finding a new weapon or a way to use it. Must play. Expand
  6. Nov 12, 2012
    I have invested about 40 hours into this game so far. Let me be clear in stating that Halo 4 is a sum of its' parts. Halo is not just the campaign or the MP. It's all of it together (campaign, music, voice acting, cut scenes, MP, spartan ops, ranking, unlocking, etc.) and it's an experience, not a game. I have been an avid halo fan for the last 12 years of my life and can say with certainty that, in my opinion, Halo 4 is the best Halo yet. I have noticed that many reviewers are comparing the game to bungie's halos and something occurred to me. Many players may be waiting for the next Bungie game, not the next Halo game. For those are waiting for the next Bungie game you're not going to get it. What you're going to get is the next element of Halo. Let's start with the good. Halo 4 as everyone has said is gorgeous...the graphics will put even the most sophisticated games out there to shame. Some cut scenes are pre-rendered which adds just that much more realism to the series. If you've ever played the other games you'll notice that 343 has stepped out of a Halo comfort zone and tested the waters with an all new, more serious approach to the game in terms of character animations, voice acting, and dialogue. Secondly, Halo 4 feels like halo...let me repeat that for all the CoD fans...HALO 4 FEELS LIKE HALO!!!Halo 3 had given me some of the most memorable moments in my gaming career. It was my favorite game of all time. When Halo: Reach came out, Bungie had started experimenting but doing it in all the wrong ways. To many, including myself, Reach felt foreign. It felt different and most importantly it didn't feel like Halo. Halo 4 takes all of the things that Reach did right and mixed it with Halo 3 while casting aside all of Reach's short comings. (No spoilers, don't worry) In campaign Halo 4 goes back to its roots and gives us options on how to tackle engagements. What I mean by this is that when you turn the corner and find yourself in a big valley with a pulsating forerunner structure and hordes of baddies you can bum rush them with all of your Spartan might, hop behind the wheel of a near by vehicle (which are no longer made of DMR vulnerable paper machet) or covert-ops your way up to the nearest elite or knight and go into an stunning performance of grace and death with a combat knife....or brutally ripping arms off. But I digress. Choices are what has made the game so much fun to play for players in the past and it's back with a vengeance in Halo 4 which is something that was sorely missed in all the tight quarter engagements in Reach. The next great thing about this game is the Chief probably has more lines in this game than the last 3 games combined. The relationship between the Chief and Cortana is nothing short of spectacular! Finally the fans who have dedicated hours of their lives to reading the books have finally been able to see that expanded universe of Chief's personality mixed with the quirks that are Cortana. Mixed with her increasing rampancy it gives us loyal zombie fans something more than the previous campaigns ever did.Multiplayer is back baby! And it's better than ever! Halo 4 has taken all of the good things from every game and put it into the multiplayer experience. It learned from the mistakes that came from Halo 3 and Reach and pulled together to create a multiplayer experience that is fun and adds to Halo 4's list of ever growing Pro's. Movement is back to where it was, no more decreased strafing speed like Reach. You're back to usual spartan strength as well so grenades aren't mini nukes landing at your feet. Loadouts are relatively newer as you have to unlock certain items for use but don't worry you unlock the important weapons after the first couple of games. And the magic of Halo is that all the weapons are balanced. (minus the power weapons) meaning that even though you start with an AR and magnum you still have just as good a chance as anyone else for victory. Reticle Bloom is severely decreased to a point of almost non existence so skilled players are no longer taken down by lucky spammings of the trigger. Vehicle friendly maps are now more abundant than ever and feel fun to play! Briefly, Spartan Ops is a great replacement for the monotonous firefighting. Now you have purpose and a goal instead of mindless shooting. Spartan Ops takes place 6 months after the events of Halo 4 and is a whole new story in its own right. As mentioned before the whole game in itself is an experience. It's not just one thing over another and if you truly want to enjoy a game you should consider all it has to offer. Not beating the campaign in one sitting then taking it back.Small cons: Ammo isn't abundant in campaign, constantly switching to promethean and covy weapons.No saved films feature for campaign or s-ops yet.
    and the campaign ending leaves nothing to the imagination or eludes to what Halo 5 could be about. 343 outstanding job! Halo is in good hands.
  7. Nov 12, 2012
    The negative comments are so silly. I went out and bought a xbox 360 primarily just to play this game and it was definitely worth it. The campaign storyline is great and I felt connected with the characters. The addition of all these new weapons was really nice. The game is challenging if you play it on heroic or legendary mode but very rewarding. I honestly can't complain about much, if I had to i'd say the campaign was short. 6 hours, 3 minutes, and 30 seconds for me on heroic mode and I died a lot! Still, the campaign was solid. I like the addition of spartan ops but I hope 343 adds some more interesting levels for it soon. If you have an xbox 360 there should be no questions of whether or not to buy this game! Expand
  8. Nov 12, 2012
    Everything in this game was absolutely spectacular. Multiplayer is better than ever and campaign is just as interesting as previous installments. The only think that I can complain with is the menus that leave a bit to be desired, but you get use to them very quickly,
  9. Nov 12, 2012
    Best campaign since Halo: Combat Evolved and best multiplayer experience since Halo 2. The graphics are amazing, the story is really good and there a ton of awesome moments worthy of the first Halo. My hopes were low for the multiplayer after the disaster that is Halo: Reach, but Halo 4 multiplayer is more than awesome, it really feels like Halo 2, the gameplay is fast and action packed, the maps are awesome and flawless. People who say the game have been CODified, its not entirely false, but what make halo, halo and cod, cod ? its definitely not the small perks here and here. The ordinances push players to rush and not to camp like killstreaks are in Call of duty, perks are a small bonus and are nowhere near mandatory. The scoring system is well made and really reflect players skills. What else can I say ? Expand
  10. Nov 12, 2012
    Best Halo campaign I've played in a long time. Greatest graphics in the series and the most emotional story line I've seen since the Gears of War series. The music, while not Marty's, definitely fits the Halo universe. 343i definitely did this franchise some good!! Love the multiplayer too, new and a step up from Reach's unbalanced mess.
  11. Nov 13, 2012
    There is no doubt that 343 Industries handled one the most famous FPS game of the history almost impeccably as soon as you play the first campaign missions. At the core it's still the same old great Halo we've been playing for years, yet at times, the game can deliver that same freshness the first one delivered as you're thrown in a completely new world against a whole new enemy even more threatening than the Covenant. The sound is still one of the finest you'd find, only this time, the same can be said in regard to the graphics. How beautiful this game looks! The gameplay, in spite of the default sprint, has changed very little and been kept as good as the past games. Last but not least, the multiplayer; well, in a nutshell: EXTREMELY addictive. Beware. Unfortunately, many Halo fans' favorite playlists were not shipped with the game, but it is nothing a patch can't fix. Fan of Halo? MUST buy. Not a fan? Why not join us now? It's a new trilogy, and 343i has proved itself to be more than capable of carrying on the legacy of the series. Expand
  12. Nov 13, 2012
    Halo 4 has taken a new direction in regards of storytelling, and in my opinion it makes the best single player so far since we not only get MC and Cortana back but they have become something more than just a puppet we control. The campaign has some epic set pieces with beautiful graphics and music. Spartan Ops make for a valid replacement for Firefight though could need a scoring system. Multiplayer has changed a lot though, some will like it and some might not. Personally I'm having a blast and probably will be the first in queue for Halo 5. Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2012
    I love this game to death! Sadly, I wish COD did not get so boring to me. Happily, Halo did not become boring to me. The story is an A+, the online A+, the S.O. is an A+. Only thing that is bad, the fact that I wish I have more time to play. :)
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    i can't say anymore than this is an amazing game. the Campaign is STELLAR and i cant say anything else because of spoilers and finally halo has really great graphics the first time i go out of darkness of requiem into sunlight it was the same feeling of being on halo for the first time.

Multiplayer is SO FUN and even though its diffrent its still halo :)
  15. Nov 13, 2012
    The Best. from being a very avid player of the series. i'm glad they incorporated a lot from the books. a good example would be the relationship between the didact and librarian. It seems that 343i has been doing research on the story. the best part would be the graphics overall since Halo has never seen the daylight of true 1080p Resolution . OVERALL It Is AMAZING. Bungie. the legendary corporation that made Halo handed over there baby to another company no one has ever heard of and improved it beyond reason. Must get? Yes. and it's a must try for any. good investment Expand
  16. Nov 13, 2012
    This is a fantastic game. However, it is a step in an entirely new direction. The campaign is awesome, the setting, characters, and story is great. Graphics are fantastic. Weapons and vehicles sound great and feel powerful. You get to know the Chief and Cortana better, since they actually have a personality in this game. The cutscenes look amazing. 343 has really captured that feel of a new alien world, just like Bungie did with Halo 1. Campaign is a bit short though, it ran me about 7 hours on Heroic. Neon lights EVERYWHERE.

The multiplayer is great, it is a completely new experience but it still plays like classic Halo. Surprisingly, the perks and abilities are all perfectly balanced. They are each useful in certain situations, but if you rely on them too much you will be at a disadvantage.

I've seen a lot of people comparing it with COD because of the loadouts. First of all, COD did not invent the system of loadouts; Battlefield, Team Fortress 2, Red faction: Guerrilla, and many other games have classes/loadouts/perks. Just because the two games have something in common does not mean that one copied the other. Loadouts and perks are becoming a standard part of FPS's, and Halo included them so that it could keep up with the pack. Personally, I think that they are a fantastic addition. If I wanted a game that played just like Halo 1, I would go play Halo 1. There is nothing wrong with revolutionizing a franchise, and 343 has done it well. I don't like everyone being on equal footing at the start of the match, it's boring to me. Each person you come against is unpredictable because you don't know what armor ability they have equipped, and I find that really fun. You have to constantly adjust your tactics in order to keep the upper hand. Halo used to be about rushing to power weapons and camping them all game, something that I absolutely hated. Halo 4 takes the focus off of power weapons, and focuses more on player skill.

A lot of people (myself included) were worried about the Mantis being overpowered, but after having used it for a few hours in MP I can tell you it isn't. If you bring it out into the middle of a firefight, you will die very quickly, unless your team is covering you.

Spartan Ops is a great addition. You get a new 'episode' of 5 missions every week, which will run you about an hour of gameplay on Legendary. They've only had 2 episodes but they're great so far.

I kind of miss Firefight, but not that much.

I personally believe that 343 has out-Bungied Bungie. This a fantastic game, but it is not like the previous Halo's. It is an entirely new trilogy from an entirely new company. If you can adapt to the franchise's new direction then you will have a blast. If you cannot, then I'm sorry for your loss.
  17. Nov 13, 2012
    As a long-time Halo fan, I was admittedly a bit weary that 343 wouldn't be able to handle the Halo franchise. I thought it would be like Halo Wars; big-budget, and well-polished, but just overall lacking in real quality; 343 just didn't have the experience to get it right, especially on their first try.

Well I'll be damned, they did it. Is it a perfect game? No. But Halo 4 is a labor of
    love, and every corner of this game has been loving crafted by some people who obviously wouldn't give up what they're doing for anything else in the world.

Graphically, right out of the box, this game blows away anything else that has ever appeared on the Xbox 360. Bungie made leaps and bounds with an amazing graphical engine for Halo's latest installment, but Reach never really had any BEAUTIFUL moments that really took advantage of just what they could do, and Halo 4 really steps up to the plate, combining a brilliant graphics engine with just amazing art direction. There's never a dull environment.

And as a long-time fan of Marty O'Donnell (heck, I practically worship the guy), I would have to say that by-and-large, Neil Davidge does a pretty damn good job of filling some large shoes for this game's soundtrack. Though he has perhaps fewer pieces that stand out as truly enjoyable stand-alone ones, with a large number simply being atmospheric pieces, and many of his melodies aren't quite as inspired as Marty's, his sound production skills are in a league of his own, with even the most basic pieces made enjoyable by some amazing layering of multiple melodies and rhythms.

And speaking of sound, this game is almost as much of a step forward as it is graphically. Every gun is an absolute treat to shoot, reload, and bash people's (and ancient dormant alien defense AI's) faces in with. Explosions are beefy, vehicles sound great, and combat is as visceral and intense as ever.

The written story, however, is likely one of the weaker parts of the game. While it gets the job done, by setting up some amazing gameplay moments and with cutscenes that are brought to life by facial animation easily on par with LA Noire and some fantastic voice acting, especially by Jen Taylor and Steve Downes's interactions, it can be somewhat sketchy and hard to follow at a few points, especially if you haven't read any of the books leading up to this game. But the underlying motif of Chief's (and Cortana's) humanity is a touching, thought-provoking, and emotional one.

What it all comes down to, however, is the gameplay, and man, did 343 really put some thought into it. As somebody who wanted to love Reach so badly but just never really clicked with it, Halo 4 puts some oil on the gears and gets them turning again. The campaign is chock-full of some amazing moments (the Mammoth ride had me drooling the entire time) and while it can have some repetitive moments inside of the Forerunner structures, it's overall well-paced and plenty of fun. The covenant are their usual selves but feel more responsive and coherent. If you start dropping grunts, elites will duck in and out to draw your fire. Kill high-ranking leaders, and enemies will flee and regroup to take you down.

And then there's the Prometheans. While there are only three enemy types (the pack-minded crawlers, the floating support-oriented watchers, and the commanding Knights), they all work off of each other to outwit and destroy you. Lone Crawlers will draw you into ambushes where they overwhelm and snipe you, Watchers will put barriers over enemies you are attacking, throw grenades back, and resurrect its fallen comrades, and Knights will do everything they can to obliterate you, teleporting in to slash at you when their heavy armaments don't do the trick. The enemy AI is fantastic, and creates diverse and interesting dynamic encounters where a single enemy can make a world of a difference on higher difficulties.

And multiplayer is a whole new fare. I was more than skeptical about loadouts, but among every weapon, everything feels balanced. This is nothing like Call of Duty, where you have 30 guns that do the same thing, with everybody racing to unlock the overpowered one that requires you to play a ridiculous amount of time to reach. Here, you have a small amount of distinct but equal weapons, and have to play a minimal amount of time to unlock them. Perks are also a neat addition, taking as little time to unlock as the minimal but neat difference they make. I never lost a gunfight because somebody else could carry an extra clip into the battlefield, and anybody complaining about them wrecking the game has obviously not bothered giving them a chance.

Overall, Halo 4 is a shining example of a game. 343 has blown away every single expectation for this game, and there's plenty of content to appreciate, from its somewhat short but oh-so-sweet Campaign, to its Multiplayer rich with too many features to list to weekly, episodic, and FREE spartan ops missions.

Buy Halo 4.
  18. Nov 14, 2012
    This is the best xbox360 game since Mass Effect 2 and the best Halo since Halo 2.

9/10 Gameplay Feels like an improved version of previous Halos - exactly what I wanted, with a wider range of weaponry but with the classic balance the series is renowned for.

8/10 Campaign Great way to kick start a new trilogy with a new faction of enemies, my only criticism is that the plot was
    a bit meandering but still was very entertaining. 10/10 Graphics The best graphics ever displayed by my xbox360 so has to be a perfect score.

9/10 Soundtrack As always the music appropriate for the scenes in the campaign, theyve also updated the gun sounds and battlefield ambience which is real improvement (just compare sound of assault rifle in Halo 3 to Halo 4 to get what I mean).

10/10 Multiplayer Perhaps the most important aspect of Halo 4. I can only compare it to other first person shooters out there so here goes: I own MW3, BF3, it is much better than these. Camping is punished and like in all previous Halos you cant just repeatedly run around a corner and auto aim no scope someone with a souped-up AWP for an insta-kill like on some other FPS's out there. Hence if you are smart your life expectancy will be much much longer than the average of 7 seconds you can expect from MW3 or any other CoD for that matter. The maps are great, allow for a good range of combat, if you want you can go for up close melee tactics or use rifles against anyone foolish enough to run across an open battlefield without cover. Also, vehicles arent overpowered and are vulnerable if the pilot/driver makes a mistake like flying a banshee too low or crashing a tank into a rock that has 3 Spartans waiting to pounce from behind, it whereas a skilled player will rack up kills with it before the opposing team has had enough and banzai attacks them or finds a suitable weapon (hello mr railgun) to eliminate the threat. I would say that the multiplayer aspect is on a par with Bad Company 2 for entertainment value so it gets a 10.

Definitely worth £40 I would highly recommend this game to anyone interested in gaming.
  19. Nov 14, 2012
    To all the Halo fans since Halo CE. Favorited game of all time is still Halo. Although Bungie did veer off with ODST and Reach with the game engine and game play it was still an OK spin off but not the best. 343 has blown away the creators of HALO period! 343 are people with passion to provide the best quality and gaming experience possible. Gaming has changed after COD So evolving what Halo 4 stood for was inevitable. Glad it was for the Best. Cheers 343! Expand
  20. Nov 14, 2012
    This game is as much as you can ask for from a revamp in the Halo series. The campaign is about as pleasant any multiplayer focused game can be expected. The Chief is back and on another epic adventure, yet the formula is mixed a little more this time around. Upon playing Halo 3 and Halo Reach's campaign, you can tell there was a clear formula Bungie Studios was sticking to to stay safe. The 4th mission always had heavy weapons and a run through with the Scorpion tank, as does Halo 4. The 3rd mission was always a Sniper mission, etc. It got boring.

This game actually re-assembles the formula by simply creating a brand new game while throwing a little extra care into the batch. Prerendered cutscenes are used as well as some that use in-game graphics. A slew of new Forerunner weapons have been included, yet most are just rehashes of current Covenant and UNSC weapons. But what's most important to focus when reviewing this game is the multiplayer because that is what most players will spend most of their time with. The game now includes Specializations which include new armor, support upgrades (perks), and weapon skins as they become available when players rank up. This does take some of the CoD flare, yet it is done in a respectable way. The game still maintains much more balance than CoD. After all, we don't have to worry about killstreak rewards giving players free unearned kills, etc.

The graphics have had a major rehaul and look amazing. The only thing slightly annoying is when the announcer says 'Control the hill to earn points!' or other obvious stuff that makes me feel like I'm in kindergarten. An increased amount of medals may be an issue now, although it's nice they included a Hail Mary medal (killing someone from across the map with a grenade) and a Snapshot medal (a no-scope kill with a Sniper). Another complaint may also be that Team Snipers and Double Team weren't included as default playlists for matchmaking, but I can't mark the game down because I'm sure 343 Studios is just withholding these playlists to give players more to look forward to. I can't wait to play Doubles on the new Impact map!

As always, Forge has also received an upgrade and it's much easier to build, duplicate items, and snap objects together to form a crisp looking structure. I will not say much more because I've not had much chance to experiment in Forge because the mutliplayer is too fun.

What's also great about the multiplayer is that players get to unlock the ability to customize their own loadouts. You can unlock 5 and unlock a 5th option for loadouts after reaching level 41, although I don't believe it's too necessary to have 5. I keep a primary loadout and an alternate for the 4v4 and 5v5 gametypes with more close quarters combat, and another for Big Team Battle (8v8). Users are able to choose their primary and secondary weapon, their grenade type (which can be frags, plasmas, or the new Forerunner grenade type, pulse), a Tactical Package and Support Upgrade.

There are an array of Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades to choose from, but you can only use one per Loadout. Loadouts can be switched after you die so you can switch to another before you respawn.

Tactical Packages include Mobility, which allows for infinite sprinting. Shield increases your shield recharge speed. Resupply allows you to pickup grenades from fallen friends and foes. Firepower allows you to have a primary type of weapon (such as the DMR and Battle Rifle) in your secondary weapon slot. AA Efficiency increases the rate at which your Armor Ability recharges and Grenadier increases the amount of grenades you can hold. I use Mobility.

Support Upgrades include Dexterity, which allows you to reload faster. Ammo increases the amount of ammo you carry when you spawn and what's included in an ordnance package. There are others. And new support upgrades are unlocked as you rank up and unlock new Specializations. To be honest, the game has taken the best from CoD and made it its own, and done better. But it's still managed to birth a fresh new love for its campaign.

What's always been great about Halo, though, is that even if the game turns out to rear its head as a very unbalanced game sometime in the future when people learn how to exploit certain aspects of the game, there is always an enormously intricate customization option if you prefer to play as you wish. And this also goes for map customization, not just for creating gametypes. Halo is back and at least as good as it once was.

The series took a dive with the release of Halo 3 and slightly improved for Halo Reach, but with the latest installment of Halo 4, the series is as exciting as it once was during the era of Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2. I love this game. But one more thing, if you like your shooters fast paced, this game may be for you because it is definitely the fastest Halo multiplayer of the franchise.

I love this game. Thank you 343 Studios.
  21. Nov 14, 2012
    Let me start by saying ignore the user score, it is mostly from butthurt CoD/PS3 fanboys. Now, onto the game, when 343i took over the Halo franchise I expected more of the same but what I got was something much better, see unlike Bungie before them 343 actually developed the Master Chief and Cortana something that was missing from the original trilogy and delivered one hell of a story with an awesome villain who kind of reminded me of Darth Vader unmasked. Now for the visuals, the character and gun models may not look as great as something like Crysis 2 but the backgrounds are truly unmatched by any game out there and will have you staring in wonderment with each new outdoor level. The sound is much improved from Reach making guns specifically from the UNSC sound more powerful and Forerunner/Covenant sound very unusual as alien weaponry should. Fortunately, Firefight was replaced for something more meaningful which is Spartan Ops that actually give more to the story and you even get a great CGI episode which each entry. Lastly, the multiplayer, there are a few unbalances specifically with the DMR but overall it's a fair game and the maps are fantastic unlike Reach where it looks like a Hobo got a hold of forge and sold maps to Bungie, now with Halo 4 the maps actually feel like time went into them, like something you would of expected from Halo 2 or 3. Overall best shooter I've played in a long time and I think you would love it. Expand
  22. Nov 17, 2012
    This is a great game, but it is not perfect. First, the cons. The weakest part of this game is the campaign. Although I liked the fact that they are trying to change things up, the story is confusing. I own, and have beaten, all of the previous FPS Halo games. 343 Industries put terminals in the game that you have to find to understand the story properly. Unfortunately, they are not easy to find, so you end up being a little confused about the story plot. Also, you end up either doing "three things" to beat a certain area, or beat a bunch of enemies down a long corridor, hallway, or trench. The level design could have been fleshed out more. The Spartan Ops, are a nice addition, but consist of "kill bad guys, move forward, beat bad guys, and move forward." Some of them are fun, but not at the cost of replacing Firefight. Now the pros. Graphically, this is the best looking game on the 360. The opening cinematic is jaw-dropping. I was amazed that this was a 360 game. The sound is AMAZING. Generally you expect a game to have good sound design. I've never had a game have such good weapon sounds, that it made me feel like it was real. 343 Industries did a masterful job with the weapon sounds. Also, the music is new and refreshing. Some complain that they didn't use the old music. I don't. It sounds appropriate, and has wonderful tracks. Multiplayer. Multiplayer is refined and, unlike previous Halo iterations, fast-paced. Some, again, complain about the change. Halo needed a shot in the arm, and 343i handled it splendidly. I think the only thing I want is more maps, which will be coming down the pipes in a few months. All in all, this is a great new Halo. I think 343i did a wonderful job, will tweak some of the mechanics, and make Halo 5 perfect. Expand
  23. Nov 15, 2012
    343 has managed to bring back the huge scale and epic feeling of Halo 2. They have also managed to make some modern multilayer tweaks to pander to gamers who need innovation and change with new games to make them worth buying. Halo 3 didn't have enough new elements, while Reach had too many and was unbalanced. Here they have managed to strike a good balance between old and new, with how the game feels and the added running, abilities etc. Some would say they are making it like Call of Duty but I would say they are showing a little humility and just taking the best (and most obvious) elements from other popular and successful modern shooters and building on their core gameplay with them. It's still hard to say why I have a 'Halo 2' vibe from this, but I do.

I'm halfway through the campaign and I'm only level 24 on multi player, but I can already tell I will continue to play for months to come. Fighting the covenant still feels largely the same with the mediocre a.i and same vehicles, but the new Promethean race feels fresh. They are challenging to fight and not mindless like the flood. Multiplayer maps feel instantly better than Reach. They are well designed. They're don't seem to be a lot of them, but Haven among others already feel like instant classics with awesome site lines to explore. This takes cues from all Halo games and builds on them. It's exciting that this is the first game in a new trilogy. When they start doing something really innovative with the match making and have MMO elements included like trading, interplanetary travel etc. I will give it a ten. Nine for now. The real chief is back.
  24. Nov 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I dont always play xbox 360. But when I do I play Halo 4. **** I didnt realize this had to be at least 150 characters or the first two sentences would have been my review. But seriously Halo 4 does not disappoint at the slightest bit. Both multiplayer and campaign deliver what every (for the most part) Halo fan desires. This game helps one remember why he/she loves video games in the first place: Its ****ing fun, it looks amazing, and it transports you into another world where you stay until turn your console off and leave the room. with all **** talking and dumb comparisons to other games aside this game is a must buy/rent/borrow (just ****ing play it) if you enjoy having fun. Expand
  25. Nov 17, 2012
    halo 4 is the best game ive seen until now, its got probably the best multiplayer in my opinion and its the funest game.!........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ Expand
  26. Nov 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not the biggest Halo fan out there. As expected this will likely feel just like another Halo game. However, there are vast improvements. Gone are the days of camping weapon spawns. Here now are the days of getting care packages with random weapons. I feel this makes multiplayer more appealing since I don't have to worry about racing to a weapon spawn that someone has camped and timed. Also, the new weapons add an interesting touch. While they do operate the same as already existing weapons, they do add subtle nuances such as how the boltshot reloads. It gets better. The human shotgun, DMR, and battle rifle are all here. The major negative factor for me was the spawn points feeling random and aim assist not allowing me to do my own work.

As for the campaign, it was short. That does not mean it wasn't good. It provided the continuation of the Halo story but with aspects often overlooked. It very well portrayed the bond and tension between the chief and cortana. Also, it portrays the chief as a human being who is not perfect or emotionless. Throughout the campaign it shows chief's struggle to get jobs done with a friend who isn't operating perfectly and how he deals with tasks going awry and not being completed.

Other than that, the environments should be noted. While the engine is modified but flawed, the environments are far superior to those experienced by franchises with more clout. (Sorry, call of duty.)

Also, at the end of the campaign is a little thank you from 343 to the gamers who follow Halo. Overall, it's the small and subtle things that count and there are plenty of them to make this game feel like one of the best Halo games produced with enough differences to consider it something new and polished.
  27. Nov 20, 2012
    Halo is just awesome ... and Halo 4 really sets the bar for where this genre should go next. Amazing stuff. There are certainly things it could do better ... but, yeah, it's really, really good.
  28. Nov 20, 2012
    Halo your doing it right. What a fantastic game!!! The best graphics in a console FPS period. Killzone 2 looked just as amazing, just lacked COLOR. A story mode that finaly lives up to Halo: CE!!! Don't think about it just BUY IT. The thing I love about Halo is you pay for what you get unlike COD. Halo always changes and isn't the same game every year. Halo does share a lot of elements with COD now. But it still feels like Halo thank god. Expand
  29. Nov 20, 2012
    OK, this is my honest review on the game and I believe it is great! Anyone that believes that they copied Call of Duty outright hasn't played the game. Sure, some features were in CoD first, but some features in CoD were taken from Halo. This is what games do, take ideas from other games and improve on them, which Halo has done. Halo 4 is faster paced than the previous games, with instant respawns in some features, and contains custom loadouts. These loadouts are not in any way truly affected by rank. First of all, it takes 1 War Games Match to go from SR1 to SR2 (SR is the ranking system). At SR2, you can purchase either the DMR or the BR, the two best loadout weapons. If you want a Carbine or Lightrifle for PERSONAL preference, then you have to wait a bit. I prefer the Lightrifle because of its dual functionality, but it isnt BETTER to say the least. All the weapons have their range. Of course a DMR will beat an Assault rifle from a distance. But Assault Rifles will destroy DMR at close range. YOU need to get into position to get the kills, so stop complaining about OP weapons. And there are no "Prestiges" like someone else said, and Amour Abilities are not OP either. Neither are Tactical or Support upgrades. They make small changes for PERSONAL preference. So all in all, Halo 4 has a balanced multi-player.
    The campaign is short but very good. The levels are fun and exciting. So if you have 60$, buy this game NOW!
  30. Nov 22, 2012
    The game is good. The singleplayer whilst missed out on some good opportunites **boss battles**, was fun to go through and only the 3 tower type of game missions were boring. A part of the story reminded me of 24 (when a super soldier has saved the world mulitple times and you havent done anything of that magnitude maybe just take his word for it and help the dude out). I wanted to see brutes and some larger enemies to take on. The guns sound and feel awesome well done to 343. Would love some diversity in gameplay though, such as a much slower mission that tries to put you on edge. Overall the game is awesome, well worth buying and playing. Its a fun game and the multiplayer and singleplayer will keep people going back to the 360 to play more. Expand

1. Dec 17, 2012