6.9

1. Nov 14, 2012
    This game is as much as you can ask for from a revamp in the Halo series. The campaign is about as pleasant any multiplayer focused game can be expected. The Chief is back and on another epic adventure, yet the formula is mixed a little more this time around. Upon playing Halo 3 and Halo Reach's campaign, you can tell there was a clear formula Bungie Studios was sticking to to stay safe.This game is as much as you can ask for from a revamp in the Halo series. The campaign is about as pleasant any multiplayer focused game can be expected. The Chief is back and on another epic adventure, yet the formula is mixed a little more this time around. Upon playing Halo 3 and Halo Reach's campaign, you can tell there was a clear formula Bungie Studios was sticking to to stay safe. The 4th mission always had heavy weapons and a run through with the Scorpion tank, as does Halo 4. The 3rd mission was always a Sniper mission, etc. It got boring.

This game actually re-assembles the formula by simply creating a brand new game while throwing a little extra care into the batch. Prerendered cutscenes are used as well as some that use in-game graphics. A slew of new Forerunner weapons have been included, yet most are just rehashes of current Covenant and UNSC weapons. But what's most important to focus when reviewing this game is the multiplayer because that is what most players will spend most of their time with. The game now includes Specializations which include new armor, support upgrades (perks), and weapon skins as they become available when players rank up. This does take some of the CoD flare, yet it is done in a respectable way. The game still maintains much more balance than CoD. After all, we don't have to worry about killstreak rewards giving players free unearned kills, etc.

The graphics have had a major rehaul and look amazing. The only thing slightly annoying is when the announcer says 'Control the hill to earn points!' or other obvious stuff that makes me feel like I'm in kindergarten. An increased amount of medals may be an issue now, although it's nice they included a Hail Mary medal (killing someone from across the map with a grenade) and a Snapshot medal (a no-scope kill with a Sniper). Another complaint may also be that Team Snipers and Double Team weren't included as default playlists for matchmaking, but I can't mark the game down because I'm sure 343 Studios is just withholding these playlists to give players more to look forward to. I can't wait to play Doubles on the new Impact map!

As always, Forge has also received an upgrade and it's much easier to build, duplicate items, and snap objects together to form a crisp looking structure. I will not say much more because I've not had much chance to experiment in Forge because the mutliplayer is too fun.

What's also great about the multiplayer is that players get to unlock the ability to customize their own loadouts. You can unlock 5 and unlock a 5th option for loadouts after reaching level 41, although I don't believe it's too necessary to have 5. I keep a primary loadout and an alternate for the 4v4 and 5v5 gametypes with more close quarters combat, and another for Big Team Battle (8v8). Users are able to choose their primary and secondary weapon, their grenade type (which can be frags, plasmas, or the new Forerunner grenade type, pulse), a Tactical Package and Support Upgrade.

There are an array of Tactical Packages and Support Upgrades to choose from, but you can only use one per Loadout. Loadouts can be switched after you die so you can switch to another before you respawn.

Tactical Packages include Mobility, which allows for infinite sprinting. Shield increases your shield recharge speed. Resupply allows you to pickup grenades from fallen friends and foes. Firepower allows you to have a primary type of weapon (such as the DMR and Battle Rifle) in your secondary weapon slot. AA Efficiency increases the rate at which your Armor Ability recharges and Grenadier increases the amount of grenades you can hold. I use Mobility.

Support Upgrades include Dexterity, which allows you to reload faster. Ammo increases the amount of ammo you carry when you spawn and what's included in an ordnance package. There are others. And new support upgrades are unlocked as you rank up and unlock new Specializations. To be honest, the game has taken the best from CoD and made it its own, and done better. But it's still managed to birth a fresh new love for its campaign.

What's always been great about Halo, though, is that even if the game turns out to rear its head as a very unbalanced game sometime in the future when people learn how to exploit certain aspects of the game, there is always an enormously intricate customization option if you prefer to play as you wish. And this also goes for map customization, not just for creating gametypes. Halo is back and at least as good as it once was.

The series took a dive with the release of Halo 3 and slightly improved for Halo Reach, but with the latest installment of Halo 4, the series is as exciting as it once was during the era of Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 2. I love this game. But one more thing, if you like your shooters fast paced, this game may be for you because it is definitely the fastest Halo multiplayer of the franchise.

I love this game. Thank you 343 Studios.
  2. Nov 14, 2012
    The Halo franchise is in good hands. 343 industries did what many thought it could not be done, make a Halo game that surpasses in many areas what Bungie created with Combat Evolved. The art style is amazing, pushing a 7 year old machine to produce incredible vistas that are accompanied by an amazing sound design. As great as it sounds I really think they played it too safe. Some differentThe Halo franchise is in good hands. 343 industries did what many thought it could not be done, make a Halo game that surpasses in many areas what Bungie created with Combat Evolved. The art style is amazing, pushing a 7 year old machine to produce incredible vistas that are accompanied by an amazing sound design. As great as it sounds I really think they played it too safe. Some different gameplay scenarios that did not involve pushing a button or shooting everything in sight would have been welcomed. Still, a great campaign, the addictive as ever multiplayer and the spartan ops cooperative missions make this a must play for anyone. Expand
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    Hands down the game of the year. Phenomenal graphics, fun and easy to grasp gameplay and sharp new visual design, yet it is absolutely Halo.

Hail to the Chief
  4. Jan 4, 2013
    I've been a fan of HALO since the very first game (Still own every copy of it). HALO was the very first game i played on my old XBOX. And I fell in love with the game. And I've always looked forward to the next HALO game (except REACH, that game was meh)

I'm a huge fan of everything HALO, and I have to say I am NOT disappointed with HALO 4. It is everything I hoped for and more. The sounds/audio is amazing. And the voice acting is superb. Graphics are great for a Console Game. The plot/story is just how I imagined it would be after hours of speculation after Halo 3. And the forerunners look just great.

They did change the sound of several weapons and in my honest opinion. A lot of the sound even better now, and more ear-gasm-ing sounding. You know, they sound epic.

Level design is good, I love the environments and I found myself spending a lot of time looking around at different things. Love the attention to detail.

343 has done a great job, and I admit I was scared they would butcher the series. But they have not. They have give HALO new life, and I hope they will give me many more hours of fun to come.

Spartan Ops is a great addition to the game, I found it to be fun to play, especially with friends.

I did play a little of the Mutliplayer Aspect in HALO 3 and HALO REACH but I never got into it that much. I enjoyed it but it wasn't for me I suppose. But for those worried HALO 4's multiplayer is going to be vastly different. Fear not, it still feels like the good old HALO multiplayer. and it's even more fun now! I love it!

This is the first time I've really been playing HALO's multiplayer aspect and loving it A LOT. I never hated it, I liked it in the past. But it just didn't click for me that much. It does now. It feels just like I guess HALO 3 and REACH. But better, different. But in a good way. (No, it's not simplified. I still get my ass kicked as always) But I don't know. It feels like there's less BS with connections and such now. It runs more smoothly. I did spend a good couple of 100 hours playing REACH Multiplayer sure, I did enjoy it but it wasn't my thing for a while. I found it hard to get into. I suppose now that I know how it works, it was easier for me to get into HALO 4's multiplayer.

Either way, if you're a true HALO fan, you are going to love the campaign and the multiplayer.
  5. Jun 11, 2013
    Halo 4 is an awesome game. 343's first original attempt at creating a Halo game has succeeded. However the downsides are that they made flood too diluted compared to Halo: Reach and that Forge Maps don't have enough space.
    Concept: 8/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Sound: 7/10
    Playability: 9/10
    Entertainment: 10/10
    Total Score: 9/10
  6. Nov 12, 2012
    Let me just say this up front, Halo 4 is not a perfect 10 but neither is it a bad game either. While the game does have some flaws (AI noticeably dumber, new weapons are pretty meh, doesn't do anything really new) it still hits all the notes you would expect from a Halo game and it does them competently. The visuals are absolutely amazing especially on an aging console, and while not asLet me just say this up front, Halo 4 is not a perfect 10 but neither is it a bad game either. While the game does have some flaws (AI noticeably dumber, new weapons are pretty meh, doesn't do anything really new) it still hits all the notes you would expect from a Halo game and it does them competently. The visuals are absolutely amazing especially on an aging console, and while not as iconic or bombastic as something from Marty O'Donnell the new music here fits well and doesn't distract from the action. Four player co-op for the campaign and new Spartan Ops episodes are still a blast, and getting a party together for some MP action is great way to spend an evening.

It doesn't do anything to break the mold or take any chances, but there is something to be said for not fixing what isn't broken either. Halo 4 isn't going to change your mind if you weren't a fan already. But for fans or those on the fence then I would certainly recommend at least giving a try. For a new studio trying to fill some pretty big shoes 343 certainly could have done a whole lot worse :3
  7. Dec 4, 2012
    It's a great game but nothing like the previous excluding Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST. the graphics kill in this game. It's go **** beautiful to look at. I really like this game and want to love it but there's not the same feeling as with the other 4
  8. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was pure gold until the end. The graphics, gameplay, sound, pacing, all fantastic. But then the plot got weirder and weirder. It didn't really pass the logic test. Chief not firing the missile into the ship made no sense. Why drive it in? Having to play all all CoD: Modern Warfare style where you have limited crawl controls and have to click one button that you've never had to click before to plant a grenade on the Didact felt cheesey. Cortana magically saving Chief from a NUDET...come on. The gamma rays would be out in microseconds, and how does she magically make a hardlight shield anyways? Reminds me way too much of Mass Effect 3's space magic that we rebelled against and got DLC for. Unlike ME3 though which was the last of the series, I have hope that 343 will explain this stuff and not leave us hanging which is why I still give this a 90%. Expand
  9. Dec 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'd give this game an 8.75. There are a few overly cheesy sequences in the campaign (I'm sorry, but Cortana just hasn't been the same since HALO: CE) and I personally don't find all the loadouts useful. The music isn't quite as spectacular as the originals, but hey, blame that on US Trademark law, not 343. NOW, THE GOOD! With the exception of the cheesy speed bumps, the campaign is spectacular. As Reach was the eulogy of a planet and a squad, Halo 4 is the final moments of gaming's oddest love story. The relationship between Chief and Cortana is utterly amazing, as is their debate about the humanity of one another. The multiplayer is just, wow. 343 really did a great job at making the weapons balanced (and sounding awesome!) and the maps unique. But more than anything, the ability to subtlely change the loadouts (no power or weapon is overpowered), the addition of ordinance drops, and creating randomized power weapons on the map keeps the focus on the battle, not on finding the best uber-weapon to blow things sky-high. Having logged over 100 hours into multiplayer, I still find myself going back for more, something I NEVER do with multiplayer. Seriously, try out Big Team Battle; it's like no other BTB in Halo. Spartan Ops is also decent, but where Firefight was slightly better than multiplayer in Reach, War Games is far and above more engaging than SO. Oh, and I love how they have a rotating game mode each week; it's nice way to keep things fresh. So, no game is perfect, and Halo 4 has it's flaws. But as a test of skill and teamwork that stays fresh, it shines like few others. Expand
  10. Dec 7, 2012
    I liked Halo 1, didn't care for Halo 2 and Halo 3 was okay. It's actually really refreshing to see a shooter other than Call of Duty. The game is leagues ahead of any CoD game, and what I don't understand is that the overall "Professional" scores of this game is on par with Black Ops 2??? That doesn't make any sense considering CoD has been the same since MW2. Halo 4 is in somewhat theI liked Halo 1, didn't care for Halo 2 and Halo 3 was okay. It's actually really refreshing to see a shooter other than Call of Duty. The game is leagues ahead of any CoD game, and what I don't understand is that the overall "Professional" scores of this game is on par with Black Ops 2??? That doesn't make any sense considering CoD has been the same since MW2. Halo 4 is in somewhat the same as Halo 3 was but also a lot different. I liked how they gave MC more character development which was lacking in the previous titles. The game looks great, the sounds are awesome, the multiplayer is even better than the previous games, even though it's always been pretty good anyways. If you give this game a low score but give any Call of Duty game a good score then there's something wrong with you. Even Halo 1 still has more things you can do with than any CoD game. I own a PS3 and a 360 and I usually play my PS3 more, but I have to give this game my recommendation, it's probably the only shooter that is different than the others and is one of the best to date IMO. Keep in mind that this franchaise is what made the original Xbox and without this franchaise we might not even have the Xbox 360 today :) Expand
  11. Dec 12, 2012
    the first time you play the game, all you can say is: awesome. Not only the addicted shooting and action throughout the game, but also the very memorable story, and plus, the almost-unbeatable outstanding visual. You cannot help but falling in the famous multiplayer of the game. Without a doubt this game is the killer application, a genuine signature game of XBOX 360. If you intend to buythe first time you play the game, all you can say is: awesome. Not only the addicted shooting and action throughout the game, but also the very memorable story, and plus, the almost-unbeatable outstanding visual. You cannot help but falling in the famous multiplayer of the game. Without a doubt this game is the killer application, a genuine signature game of XBOX 360. If you intend to buy a XBOX just for playing Halo 4, it's a good reason Expand
  12. Nov 9, 2012
    I have played every single Halo game - except for Halo Wars. And, I was quite worried about Halo 4, not being sure what to expect from 343 vs. Bungie. Overall, this is very solid game. I should note that this is a review for the single-player campaign as I'm not much of multiplayer gamer. As far as the campaign goes, I have some mixed feelings. As far as story goes, the story for thisI have played every single Halo game - except for Halo Wars. And, I was quite worried about Halo 4, not being sure what to expect from 343 vs. Bungie. Overall, this is very solid game. I should note that this is a review for the single-player campaign as I'm not much of multiplayer gamer. As far as the campaign goes, I have some mixed feelings. As far as story goes, the story for this outing is second only to the original halo as far as I'm concerned. I wasn't in love with some of the Cortana voicework, but I greatly enjoyed the story, the direction of the plot, and the focus on the relationship between MC and Cortana. To me the story was the highlight of this release. The graphics in some areas are also pretty incredible. In other areas - especially when inside the forerunner structures they were very meh. Kind of a Tron:Legacy feeling - but it was hard to distinguish see some barriers in the final flying section. Gameplay was solid - but somewhat of a let down. The gameplay is very solid - no complaints with regard to controls or how the guns handle, etc. But, I was really hoping for more innovation - especially in the forerunner weapons. But, basically, they fell into the standard tropes - I.e. Sniper Riffle, Assault Rifle, Shotgun. There were a couple of weapons that I didn't try - but pretty much we've seen and used them all before. While there were some interesting and new set pieces in this game - I'm hoping they will bring more innovation to the next two games. Yes, the Knights require a slightly different strategy - but overall you are doing the same thing from previous games. Fight grunts, fight elites, fight hunters, rinse/repeat. Changing out the flood for the forerunner units doesn't add that much for. Finally, I do wish the campaign was longer. I know I'm in the minority - but I want more for my $60 than 7-10 hours. I've little interest in multi-player and don't think its unreasonable to expect a 15-20 hour single-player campaign for a AAA title. That being said - I do not regret paying full price for this game. While I had hoped for more innovation - this is definitely the second best game in the series. Not as mind-blowing as the original Halo - but I'm not sure if that is possible. This game was a very strong effort - and will definitely bring me back for the next chapter. I wished for a stronger sense of "new & different" from this release, but otherwise I would recommend this game. Its a very worthy addition to the Halo franchise - and 343 really deserves to be successful. They put a lot of love and hard work, and it shows in the story that will keep you playing until the end. Expand
  13. Nov 17, 2012
    Opening:
    Opening:
    )most of my comments are based on the multiplayer, as I have not played the campaign through yet). I could, for some reason, simply never 'get into' the Halo franchise. I wanted too, believe me. It had everything I want in a game; Sci-fi story, sweet armor, awesome guns, but something just didn't stick for me. Now, with Halo 4, I have realized the genius behind this franchise. The controls are so simple, anyone could play it; and if that's the case, then why was I always getting pwn'd in multiplayer so horribly? Halo 4 takes skill, where as other shooters do not. This game is about getting headshots, not just about getting a shot off sooner than someone else (who chances are has a faster connection than you). While this isn't the most fun game I've ever played, it is a wonderful change of pace from what I'm used to.

Pros:
    - The graphics look better than any other Halo game before it. Textures look and FEEL great.
    - It's simple. There aren't any over complex menus or settings here, but there is enough depth in customization and unlocks to keep you coming back for more.
    - Halo Waypoint is awesome. I can check real time data at halowaypoint.com for my stats (Time played, games won/loss, most used weapon, kill/death ratio, etc.) across not only Halo 4, but the whole franchise...for FREE.
    - Winability: Yes, I just made that word up, but it applies well. If you take your time in matches and play right, rarely will you get worked over so much to the extent that you need to rage quit every match for half your afternoon/evening. This seems to be a much more fair and realistic game than other online shooters. I never find myself asking "How did i just get killed? This is BS!". When I die, I know it wasn't someone "hacking".

Cons:
    - Having not played previous Halo games, there is a bit of a learning curve to catch up to the rest of the community in terms of skill. This however, could be viewed as a plus however, since it may extend the playability with some hard work and dedication.
    - The weapon variation for multiplayer could be greater. There is a minimal amount of weapons to initially choose from and most of the others are available only as power ups mid-match. This also, could be a positive though, as it most likely keeps the player base fairly neutral in terms of unfair advantages between the n00bs and higher level players.

Overall, I am enjoying Halo 4 and looking forward to playing it for quite some time. This game is definitely worth purchasing.
  14. Nov 13, 2012
    Best Halo to date. The lighting is amazing, Animation looks incredible. New characters, new weapons, new everything. 343 has done the best job they could do given the circumstances. Can't wait to see where they go with the franchise next.
  15. Dec 15, 2012
    Halo 4 by 343 Studios is an attempt to win a race that began with a little outfit named Bungie. If nothing else, this title stands as the last solid breath of the XBOX 360- a final burst of energy from a console on its last leg. Morbid as that may seem, the result is a milestone for both the 360 and the Halo franchise as a whole. It doesn
  16. Dec 2, 2012
    Ignoring all the people who didn't even give this game a chance, this game is incredible. Best campaign since Combat Evolved, it really had me invested and the ending was both brilliant and saddening at the same time. The graphics are absolutely stellar, one of the best looking games I've ever played on Xbox 360. the multiplayer is great as always, and 343 has finally integrated a rankingIgnoring all the people who didn't even give this game a chance, this game is incredible. Best campaign since Combat Evolved, it really had me invested and the ending was both brilliant and saddening at the same time. The graphics are absolutely stellar, one of the best looking games I've ever played on Xbox 360. the multiplayer is great as always, and 343 has finally integrated a ranking system that makes a lot more since than the previous Halos. The only thing that brought the game down in my opinion was the short length of the campaign (which almost has to be forgiven, since the campaign is amazing) and the new Spartan Ops integration falls flat. It's not nearly as replayable as Firefight, and is just kind of boring. Overall incredible game, don't let the negative reviews sway you in any way, the ignorance of people on this site should be looked down upon, this game is amazing and soiling it with scores of one and zero are just idiotic and juvenile. Play this game, I promise you won't regret it. Expand
  17. Aug 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a huge Halo fan and read all the books, collect everything, etc. As much as I want to give this a score of 10/10 I'm afraid Halo 1 is the only one that lives up to that but this comes close. I don't know why there is a lot of hate on this game as they finally gave me the same feeling i had in 2001 when i first landed on Halo and experienced seeing the ring and the vast ocean of the planet. When you land on the Forunner world it gives you that same feeling and it's breathtaking. The game mechanics felt more in line iwth Halo 2 which is fine because in my opinion that was the best of the Halo series game mechanics. The action is fast and there is such a wide range a variety in weapons and enemies. The new forunner enemies are a lot of fun and the forunner guns are a blast. The scattershot makes the shotgun not as cool compared to it. The multiplayer is fantastic, you still get the armor abilities that reach game but to an imporvement. To be honest i am not a fan of armor abilites and enjoy the weapon control of the previous Halo's but what can you do.... Anyways the multiplayer is the funnest i have experienced since 2, it's fast pace again and not as slow as 3 and Reach.

What i disliked most about the game was the ending (SPOILERS) boss that was hyped up for several books and even in the Halo waypoint videos just dies in a manner that makes the player feel disengaged on the last mission because you actually don't do anyhting to fight him except a few QTE Really 343...?
    Also the Spartan Ops is weak and Firefight would have been a better choice unless the random missions could actually be made with the same quality of the campaign.
  18. Aug 30, 2013
    Classic Halo game. Shooting and aiming is well balanced and I really enjoyed the story, but it did get a bit long in the tooth near the end. Maybe I was just getting tired and wanted to finish. LOL
  19. Dec 11, 2012
    Only playing for the campaign, no time for online...
    It's a beautifully presented game. Guns are awesome. Incredible SFX.
    Gameplay is smooth, involving, flow is flawless. Not much thinking involved, no emotion. Pure reaction, exhilaration. Fine by me. The sci-fi world and story is daft, and incomprehensible next to the sleek and involving sic-fi of Binary Domain. As a videogame fan and
    Only playing for the campaign, no time for online...
    It's a beautifully presented game. Guns are awesome. Incredible SFX.
    The sci-fi world and story is daft, and incomprehensible next to the sleek and involving sic-fi of Binary Domain. As a videogame fan and Halo agnostic, I enjoyed this game a lot though.
  20. Dec 6, 2012
    Im not an extreme die-hard halo fanboy, though I have played all the games, and I don't like CoD, so please try not to expect an overly biased review. The graphics here are undeniably beautiful, some of the best on the xbox, especially the lighting, absolutely gorgeous. The Campaign is long and engaging, my first play through on normal took me roughly 8-11 hours, which is pretty damn longIm not an extreme die-hard halo fanboy, though I have played all the games, and I don't like CoD, so please try not to expect an overly biased review. The graphics here are undeniably beautiful, some of the best on the xbox, especially the lighting, absolutely gorgeous. The Campaign is long and engaging, my first play through on normal took me roughly 8-11 hours, which is pretty damn long for a campaign in a modern FPS. Its nice to see a company putting proper thought into a good quality campaign these days, **** multiplayer is turning into a virus for FPS games. Though one major gripe I do have is the ending, I won't spoil it but it makes little sense, though it still is extremely sad. The multiplayer is definitely my biggest complaint, there are plenty of balancing issues, especially with those double XP mother **** who are all probably level 190s by now. The next problem is the loadouts, and the commendations, the loadouts is way too CoD like for me, and it ruins what I wanted this game to be, a traditional halo game similar to halo 3 or 2. If loadouts were completely irradicated, my major complaint would be wiped away. Next is commendations, its too much just to get one piece of armor, **** trillion splatters to get a green visor!? No thanks. I love the new specializations, the armor looks unique, the concept gives gameplay more depth, and its a much more awesome reward than being reverted back to level 1 and just getting the title of "Prestige." The sound design is marvelous, beautifully orchestrated music and amazing weapon sound effects, as in that's exactly what you expect that gun to sound like. If that wasn't enough we have spartan ops, weekly episodes of 5 missions, along with amazingly well done cinematics and superb voice acting, FOR FREE. And if THAT wasn't enough, they are constantly adding new modes to online multiplayer, and updating the game all the time, truly a devoted company. Overall I suggest anyone reading this review to go out and buy this game NOW. Expand
  21. Nov 13, 2012
    I didn't expect to like this game so much. I love it how all of the trolls on here who are not really Halo fans have given the game 474 negative reviews. Good job guys, you had no sway over sales of the game. Regardless, I am having a lot of fun with this one. Reach and ODST were lame compared. The multiplayer in this title is as frenetic as Halo 3 with the fun gametypes of Halo 2. If youI didn't expect to like this game so much. I love it how all of the trolls on here who are not really Halo fans have given the game 474 negative reviews. Good job guys, you had no sway over sales of the game. Regardless, I am having a lot of fun with this one. Reach and ODST were lame compared. The multiplayer in this title is as frenetic as Halo 3 with the fun gametypes of Halo 2. If you are a Halo fan, pick this up. Expand
  22. Nov 13, 2012
    Its a very good, with an interesting story and really encaptulates the relationship between Master Chief and Cortana, which gives it much needed humanity, with its striking visuals, it makes this one of the best looking games out there. However, as much I enjoyed this game, I found the game rather short and no innovation and the final "boss" wasn't exactly much of a fight and rather oneIts a very good, with an interesting story and really encaptulates the relationship between Master Chief and Cortana, which gives it much needed humanity, with its striking visuals, it makes this one of the best looking games out there. However, as much I enjoyed this game, I found the game rather short and no innovation and the final "boss" wasn't exactly much of a fight and rather one dimensional, but, you should really go find the Terminals, cause they flesh the villain more and his motivations which is why I don't understand it wasn't implemented in the first place, regardless that I said the story was interesting, this was poor judgement to not include this information for the villain. Anyway the game is worth checking out but I do think this is going to divide the fan base, I noticed a few COD elements in there but it didn't bother me Expand
  23. Nov 12, 2012
    My first Halo game was Halo 3: ODST. I first played I when a friend came over and showed it to me. I was astounded. I had heard Halo was good, but not this good. Since then I've played Wars, Reach, and the Anniversary Edition. I have to say the best out of those three was Reach. With its stellar campaign and it's chaotic multiplayer, I thought Halo 4 would have a hard time beating it. IMy first Halo game was Halo 3: ODST. I first played I when a friend came over and showed it to me. I was astounded. I had heard Halo was good, but not this good. Since then I've played Wars, Reach, and the Anniversary Edition. I have to say the best out of those three was Reach. With its stellar campaign and it's chaotic multiplayer, I thought Halo 4 would have a hard time beating it. I was wrong, very, very wrong. Halo 4 exceeds all expectations and shatters my idea of a good game. It combines the most emotional story of the Halo series, the best graphics that have been seen to this very day, and exciting new changes to multiplayer, to create the best Halo game that I have ever played, heck the best game I've played to date, which Borderlands 2 had the honor of being before. You hear this a lot, but Halo 4 is really Cortana's story. You see, after 7 years an AI becomes rampant. It's been 8. When an AI becomes Rampant, it literally thinks itself to death. So you can imagine how Cortana feels. Your main mission, throughout the story is to get Cortana to Dr. Halsey so she can be fixed. This goes hand-in-hand with defeating the Didact and getting Infinity off of Requeim. The Promethean enemies are so much fun to fight. I wonder how I stood fighting these Covenant after fighting the Prometheans. The new enemies are tactically smart, and aren't anything like the Covenant. For spoiler related reasons, I will move onto the robust, new multiplayer. Multiplayer is less vehicle based, and more gun based since the guns are now so much more badass. Each gun has brand new sounds, and some of them look different, too. I love the new sound of the Assault Rifle. Now with all these new Promethean weapons, that are extremely powerful and fun to use, I never use vehicles, and this is coming from a person who loved to drive vehicles. Instead of choosing large, expansive maps, like I would in Reach, I choose small, close up maps. I hated the guns and loved the vehicles, Halo 4 flipped that around, and it's a very good thing. Now there are Loadouts, which include Primary, and Secondary Weapons, Grenades, and Abilities. Their are plenty new weapons, both Promethean and UNSC to make the formula feel newer. Now there are more Abilities than ever before. The Run ability has been disabled, instead you can run by simply pressing on the joystick. The Armor Lock is gone, too. In fact, the only ones that they still have is Jetpack, invisibility, and the ability in which you make a duplicate. The new multiplayer is a refreshing new turn for the franchise. This game looks stunning. It feels stunning. Everything about this game is stunning. From its emotional story, to it's groundbreaking multiplayer, Halo 4 is what I dreamt what Halo should be. Looking back at ODST again, I feel like, what was great, is now archaic. 343i has accomplished something no other company could, even Bungie. Expand
  24. Nov 14, 2012
    The Halo franchise is certainly in safe hands with 343. The gameplay is varied, fluid and engaging. The narrative, while somewhat convoluted, was mostly captivating. Most importantly though, the game respects your time. Absolute brilliant release!
  25. Nov 8, 2012
    This is coming from somebone who has played Halo since 2002 heres the pros and cons.

PROS Amazing graphics that get better as you progress through the campaign. Brilliant sound design and musical score. Addictive gameplay. The series is in safe hands. Great story and voice acting. CONS The xbox 360 is starting to show its age (No fault of 343!) No control of audio mix No

PROS
    Amazing graphics that get better as you progress through the campaign.
    Brilliant sound design and musical score.
    Addictive gameplay.
    The series is in safe hands.
    Great story and voice acting.

CONS
    The xbox 360 is starting to show its age (No fault of 343!)
    No control of audio mix
    No firefight The multiplayer should aim for 60fps + More player count in slayer in Halo 5 next gen (This is due to the aging 360 again)

All in all its a great game and im suprised just how good! worth your money.
  26. Nov 7, 2012
    well here we go. look at that dichotomy of scores! anytime you have something this partisan, you can bet the haters have other reasons to hate - I don't dare speculate at this point.

Halo 4 is wonderful in most regards. Graphics, stunning. Sound, amazing. Story, very good. Gameplay, just right... note that point. Yes, it feels more like Halo CE than the others, and I like that. Let's get to the roots here people, and enjoy what makes this game great. That said - there are enough improvements to keep it interesting and fresh. Only dislike - too many of the ideas already used by COD and BATTLEFIELD type games for the multiplayer. Lame. But still fun.
    Laters... and don't listen to the haters. THIS IS A GREAT GAME
  27. Nov 7, 2012
    I don't think this game deserves a 10. I don't think it deserves a 0. I think if you chose either, your view is invalid. Pretty much all of these user reviews sadden me. You know what? Looking at all these user reviews, we don't deserve good games. We don't deserve developers working tirelessly to provide us with an entertaining experience. Not when we can't even be thankful for theI don't think this game deserves a 10. I don't think it deserves a 0. I think if you chose either, your view is invalid. Pretty much all of these user reviews sadden me. You know what? Looking at all these user reviews, we don't deserve good games. We don't deserve developers working tirelessly to provide us with an entertaining experience. Not when we can't even be thankful for the effort, regardless of if we like or dislike the game. Not everyone that can write is a critic. I'll ask you to think before you write your user review, because I think that's the least that the people who made this game deserve. Expand
  28. Nov 8, 2012
    Awesome game, and I've loved the Halo Franchise since Halo CE. It's similar to Call of Duty and Battlefield three, their fan's have joined a better game than Call of Duty and Battlefield. The multi-player platforms are great and campaign is fairly entertaining. I love all the new things they added to the multi-player experience! It's excellent. Definitely worth buying Halo 4.
  29. Nov 9, 2012
    Overall, Halo 4 is a good game. There are many things, however, that make it less than perfect for any Halo fan that has been around for Halo 3 or longer. I'll start with the campaign. The first problem with it is that things happen much too fast without any build up, especially the first encounter with the Prometheans. Secondly, the introduction of characters is done much too fast as wellOverall, Halo 4 is a good game. There are many things, however, that make it less than perfect for any Halo fan that has been around for Halo 3 or longer. I'll start with the campaign. The first problem with it is that things happen much too fast without any build up, especially the first encounter with the Prometheans. Secondly, the introduction of characters is done much too fast as well and it never gets time to settle in. The cutscenes are spectacular; but a drop in audio quality often makes me annoyed. The cutscenes also fade too quickly, making the transition from scene to scene almost choppy. The overall problem I have with the campaign is that it isn't as memorable as Halo 3's. With everything redesigned, it almost feels like its not even its successor but an entirely new game of its own. 343's omission of many gametypes and customization options leaves much to be desired. I mean removing features from the game? Are you nuts? The thing that angers me the most is the limitation of emblems from the beginning. For one, there aren't as many as previous games to begin with, but two, there is only a limited selection from the beginning? How am I supposed to look different from other beginning players? Overall, 343 leaves much to be desired. The game feels more like something else than the start to a whole new trilogy. I hope 343 clears this up with updates (which they probably won't, if they follow Bungie's example with Reach) and learns from their mistakes with Halo 5. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Allow me to just say this: I've bought and played every single Halo game released since Halo:CE. I have also played the CoD and MoH series, and yet I can say this about Halo 4: it is by far one of the most amazing first-person shooter games I've seen. And that's saying something. In a genre where the basic aim of the game is "point and shoot," it can be amazingly difficult to have the game portray any sort of substance beyond the passing thrill of shooting the enemy in the face or performing trick shots. So when I played through the campaign (admittedly on Normal difficulty), I was absolutely stunned by how magnificent the story they chose to portray shone through. The love story, tragic and moving without being sexualized: brilliant. The graphical display of the rich environment of Requiem: stunning. The suspense, which after the Flood would have had a high bar to surpass: thrilling. Even just the fact that 343 Industries decided to so deeply entangle the game with the novels being published (a concerted effort, if I recall correctly, between the authors and 343 Industries to expand the Halo canon ala Star Wars) made the game so much more interesting and intriguing.

Now then, what about the similarities, one might ask, with CoD? Now, I don't personally understand the hate between CoD and Halo fans (thinking as I do that it is just plainly stupid, since both series are great in their own separate story frames), but I can also recognize that some of the complaints of long-time Halo players regarding similar motifs is true. The rotating UNSC shield is very reminiscent of the CoD loading screens. A few other things did remind me of CoD, but is that why my score is not a 10? No.

These complaints are, at heart, irrevelant. FPS games, we must realize, run on the same generic platform framework. You have a gun, there are enemies, so shoot them in the face. Or anywhere else you want to shoot them. Everything else is just polish. Is your radar to the left or right, bottom or top, how the shield bar works, whether you have quicktime events or not...that's all just extras, so the idea that a game is inferior because similarities have cropped up with another game is ridiculous, as they all share the same basic idea.

So why is the score 9/10 rather than 10/10? For me, it was the end boss. It wasn't the quicktime event, however. If done right, a quicktime event can become just as thrilling as an actual boss fight, particularly as it means the story requires that the boss die in a certain way (usually to later explain how he/she/it survived and is coming back to bite you in the rear for not finishing him off properly). Rather, it was that the entire sequence was so short. Even then, it melded so well with the campaign's story that it didn't even bother me all that much. That's my only real gripe with the campaign, and I've yet to see a problem with the Multiplayer, so I won't even go there.

In short, 343 Industries have created a resounding success in their first foray into the Halo world. I can't wait to see what they'll come up with next. Hopefully, the 2nd Forerunner-Human War!

1. Dec 17, 2012