Halo: Reach Xbox 360

7.9

Generally favorable reviews- based on 2011 Ratings

1. Sep 16, 2010
    Hyndra is gay. He's just sour that every other system doesnt even have an exclusive worth buying. Obviously, this queer hasnt even looked at an xbox. Any game review magazine or fan of gaming period can tell you that the Gears and Mass Effect franchises are amazing as well. The fact that Halo is so succesful just eats at the other consoles fanboys since theyll never have a game like it.Hyndra is gay. He's just sour that every other system doesnt even have an exclusive worth buying. Obviously, this queer hasnt even looked at an xbox. Any game review magazine or fan of gaming period can tell you that the Gears and Mass Effect franchises are amazing as well. The fact that Halo is so succesful just eats at the other consoles fanboys since theyll never have a game like it. Especially weak PS3. I shouldnt talk about Hyndra like this though. He's a five year old. I mean, how else could someone like wii more than 360 or ps3? Expand
  2. Sep 17, 2010
    This is a perfectly entertaining mission that nicely develops the main story arc in the Mass Effect universe. Its serious failing is its value for money. At 800 gamer points it's 2 to 4 times as expensive as it should be. I'm actually a fan of short, compact gaming experiences, but in terms of value this really crosses a line.
  3. Sep 16, 2010
    I buy games for a single player experience. I see multiplayer as a bonus for my cash. But Bungie seem to do things the other way round. The campaign was short and in all honesty, boring, the AI is dodgy at times, and the graphics aren't up to snuff when compared to games such as Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2 and God of War III. Graphics can really help immerse a player into a game, but thisI buy games for a single player experience. I see multiplayer as a bonus for my cash. But Bungie seem to do things the other way round. The campaign was short and in all honesty, boring, the AI is dodgy at times, and the graphics aren't up to snuff when compared to games such as Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2 and God of War III. Graphics can really help immerse a player into a game, but this game really hasn't improved the visuals much since Halo 3. But i haven't mentioned the multiplayer yet. The multiplayer (the first game i have played online since Halo 3 back in December) is ok. It offers more than Halo 3 does, but that's pretty much it. The multiplayer for this game saves me from giving this game a 3/10.The only reason this game sticks out from the crowd is because it bears the name 'Halo'. Any other game like this would be ripped apart by reviewers. It isn't a crapfest like ODST, and it does improve somewhat over Halo 3, but it isn't worthy of all this praise. Expand
  4. Sep 22, 2010
    if anyone knows anything about games, its that graphics don't make the game. People are talking about how this isn't realistic at all.....idiots its **** halo what do yo expect. If you want realism go play arma 2, and sit there for 15 min waiting for someone to walk by.
  5. Sep 18, 2010
    I was really looking forward to taking part in the battle that we'd heard about since the start of Halo, the game was on pre-order for months waiting for the day of release and I checked on every morsel of information that was released by Bungie and it just made the wait all the better, this was going to be the great Halo send off that we'd all been waiting for.

Unfortunately, as

Unfortunately, as sometimes happens with a things you really look forward to, the finished article is never going to live up to the anticipation, Halo: Reach is the perfect example of this. The game is at best a half hearted prequel of the Halo games with the setting of Reach and a couple of familiar names/faces thrown in to actually make and connection to the franchise at all, that's not counting the same gameplay copied totally from the other Halo games, no innovation at all, not even any attempt, zero.

The campaign mode is pitifully short and even having paced myself so I could savour the game I'd been looking forward to for so long I'd finished it within a day of release, to say I was disappointed would be a massive understatement, and there is no great ending either, you are left feeling very cheated. very lazy.
    The game will undoubtedly have hoards of on-line players who will dismiss the campaign mode completely, but to rely on the on-line element of the game to pad out such a weak title really isn't good enough any more.

Shame on you Bungie.
  6. Sep 21, 2010
    Okay beyond the obvious people who feel different by putting down something great to stand out from a the majority (I get it). But putting this one down is crazy if not foolish. The idea of perfect is out there but so is this game. Not since the time of Resident Evil 4 have i been so engrossed in a game.
  7. Sep 23, 2010
    Dull and boring, pointless story badly told in the most pompous style. But the worst thing is: this game is at least supposed to be a technological marvel but its graphics are really boring, like a 2006 shooter. Come on guys, whats all the fuzz?!?! Go play Bioshock instead with incredible design and really interesting setting and story!!!!
  8. Jun 12, 2011
    Do not be fooled by the story it is forgetful at best and the characters are boring. At some parts it doesn't even make sense. Gameplay is good but do not buy this expecting a riveting story. It is full of cliches and in the end really is boring. Multiplayer however is a blast as well as firefight. If you get this game you will want to have Xbox Live to play the vast multiplayer experienceDo not be fooled by the story it is forgetful at best and the characters are boring. At some parts it doesn't even make sense. Gameplay is good but do not buy this expecting a riveting story. It is full of cliches and in the end really is boring. Multiplayer however is a blast as well as firefight. If you get this game you will want to have Xbox Live to play the vast multiplayer experience the Halo Franchise is known for otherwise you are really just wasting your time with a short uninteresting story. Expand
  9. Nov 8, 2012
    Boring linear story. It is basically about running around and pressing buttons all campaign long. Horrible level design, and a story which is filled with stupid loopholes, and 'tryhard' moments. If you're looking for a deep engaging story, then go elsewhere because a CoD story would have more deep immersive story than this.

Multiplayer.... don't even get me started, it is so unbalanced

Multiplayer.... don't even get me started, it is so unbalanced and horrible that if you are a veteran player then just turn around - pick up MW2 and play that, because there is more balance and playability in that game than there is in Reach.

Bottom line - a game purely made to look like CoD so that Bungie could make a few dollars before leaving. Not worth your money, even if it is something like 5 dollars.
  10. Sep 19, 2010
    I will try to be as honest here as possible. I love Gears of War 1-2, Uncharted 2,God of War etc... because they are entertaining and have numerous of memorable moments and they are GOOD GAMES. Halo has non of those. What it has : Aging graphic engine with some blur effects, story that does not matter and is forgotten fast. It is an average shooter at best. Don't get the critics on thisI will try to be as honest here as possible. I love Gears of War 1-2, Uncharted 2,God of War etc... because they are entertaining and have numerous of memorable moments and they are GOOD GAMES. Halo has non of those. What it has : Aging graphic engine with some blur effects, story that does not matter and is forgotten fast. It is an average shooter at best. Don't get the critics on this one. If you are not die hard HALO fan then I would skip this one. Expand
  11. Sep 15, 2010
    THE GOOD - Improved AI, increased difficulty, tons of bells and whistles, main screen lobby is a genius idea, psych profile and game searching options help find games to your tastes, inclusion of secondary abilities is a nice touch, fixed the melee issues and an improved firefight mode with a variety of options. THE BAD - Gameplay after all these years is feeling bland and outdated.THE GOOD - Improved AI, increased difficulty, tons of bells and whistles, main screen lobby is a genius idea, psych profile and game searching options help find games to your tastes, inclusion of secondary abilities is a nice touch, fixed the melee issues and an improved firefight mode with a variety of options. THE BAD - Gameplay after all these years is feeling bland and outdated. Graphics, though better than Halo 3's, still aren't top notch. Too many camping locations on multiplayer maps. Awful and distracting music at times. THE UGLY - An embarrassingly low number of multiplayer maps (Inexcusable for a $60 package..you'll spend hours frolicking around on the same 4 similarly designed maps), a short and unevenly paced campaign (5-10 hours, depending on skill and difficulty), continued inclusion of the "cheap" pistol/charged plasma combo and the snap-to-target on the sniper rifle that takes out the skill of sniping and establishes it as one of the most unbalanced and camper friendly weapons of all time. THE VERDICT - A decent game, certainly not worth $60. Wait for it to hit $30-$40 before purchasing. Expand
  12. Sep 24, 2010
    i have tried.. really i have.. i wonder how many other people have to... they say great story.. i say read go to any library and pick a book its guaranteed to have a better story.. gameplay ok at best... multiplayer painful waiting times... ridiculous game modes like infected that last about 2 mins.. pointless.. i liked the first Halo.. it didn't blow me away or anything.. it was alright..i have tried.. really i have.. i wonder how many other people have to... they say great story.. i say read go to any library and pick a book its guaranteed to have a better story.. gameplay ok at best... multiplayer painful waiting times... ridiculous game modes like infected that last about 2 mins.. pointless.. i liked the first Halo.. it didn't blow me away or anything.. it was alright.. i tried Halo 2 got bored after 1 hour... Halo 3 got bored after 20 mins.. I played Reach for a few hours trying to see what the hype is about.. i just can't see it... sorry.. bland and cliche story... average graphices.. poor multiplayer... i'm trading this in tomorrow... Expand
  13. Sep 22, 2010
    Halo: Reach Around! Bored yet?

I gave 2 but really it at least 4. I played one Halo before on PC and it quite good but I prefer Riven. Whats up with Master Chef? He no cook anything anyway.
  14. Sep 18, 2010
    If you're a casual player who has money to burn or a spineless game reviewer then you will probably like this game. If you're a serious shooter fan, don't waste your money. Zero unlockables (beyond cosmetic)

No innovation beyond armor powers -Running as a class? Really? C'mon. STILL old school shooter, weapon spawn camping Little variety in weapons The critics are all too

No innovation beyond armor powers -Running as a class? Really? C'mon.

STILL old school shooter, weapon spawn camping

Little variety in weapons

The critics are all too spineless to really highlight the lack of innovation in what the game is all about, the combat. Instead they talk about how fully featured other aspects of the game are.
  15. Oct 2, 2010
    So fanboys and haters are all that seem to review this game, so here's an unbiased review: I was never a big fan of Halo and yet it's still easy for me to say that this was a great game. The online play doesn't offer much customization other than appearance so in that respect I'm a little disappointed. The story, while short, is very re-playable. It's more of a game to play with friends asSo fanboys and haters are all that seem to review this game, so here's an unbiased review: I was never a big fan of Halo and yet it's still easy for me to say that this was a great game. The online play doesn't offer much customization other than appearance so in that respect I'm a little disappointed. The story, while short, is very re-playable. It's more of a game to play with friends as co-op and firefight are a hell of a lot of fun, but otherwise, you'll be putting it down after a week unless you're a die hard fan. Expand
  16. Sep 18, 2010
    I have been a Halo fan from the start, but this one seems to disappoint me. The graphics are better, yes, but some things have managed to become worse. I believed that in halo 3, the A.I. were lacking a bit of that "intelligence" part. Now they seem to have lost it completely. I have first hand witnessed teammate A.I. stare at enemies and not shoot, leaving me to do everything (onI have been a Halo fan from the start, but this one seems to disappoint me. The graphics are better, yes, but some things have managed to become worse. I believed that in halo 3, the A.I. were lacking a bit of that "intelligence" part. Now they seem to have lost it completely. I have first hand witnessed teammate A.I. stare at enemies and not shoot, leaving me to do everything (on Legendary, you'll take all the help you can get). Another thing...The elites are too powerful in campaign. It shouldn't take 2 shotgun blasts and 3 punches to take it down, when it takes me down in 1 kick. Games take longer to load and the online lag is horrific.
    Now, the few good things (if you can look past its bad things). The characters are more developed and there is a good storyline. Forge world is great once you get the hang of it and firefight is back and better than ever.
    I give Halo reach a 5 out of 10.
  17. Oct 15, 2010
    Bad game.

Bad game.

Terrible physics. Weapons and vehicles operate differently for NPC's than player-characters. Collision physics are not logorithmic, many times you may melee an enemy and not be able to run them over. Long range weaponry loses effectiveness at close distances, a sniper round is fatal at 1000m, but minimally damaging in a hallway. Explosives damage vehicles according to driver rather than vehicle class.

Terrible AI. No squad control, AI teammates do not fire their guns, and teammates step in front of live fire. Terrible story. Cut scenes are slow and dumb. Mission successes are devalued by cutscenes, if you rescue a group under attack they die in the cutscene. No matter how you succeed in gameplay, your victory is revoked by cutscene.
  18. Oct 18, 2010
    This game is an absolute disgrace to the halo community. I am a huge halo fan love the game with a passion, but reach was one of the most anticipated game out of them all. And you know what it sucked. How are you going to change the things that make halo what it is or should I say was. Halo is not call of duty and never will be. If I wanted to play a game that requires no skill and oneThis game is an absolute disgrace to the halo community. I am a huge halo fan love the game with a passion, but reach was one of the most anticipated game out of them all. And you know what it sucked. How are you going to change the things that make halo what it is or should I say was. Halo is not call of duty and never will be. If I wanted to play a game that requires no skill and one shot to kill me then I would go play some cod. Halos shield system brought out the skill in people now a newb can kill you in a shot. WTF bungie stop making games sell ur rights to halo cuz ur putting a bad look on it . All the pro's from halo 3 hate reach it sucks Expand
  19. Sep 20, 2010
    Well, all I can say is that this game was a let down. I'm not a die hard Halo, but I like the universe that Bungie Created... sadly, it feels way too much the same as ODST, like an ODST v2 in terms of story. It supposed to be biggest low point of the war, and it felt just like another day at the office. Especially one mission where you see many dead corpses laying on the street, there's noWell, all I can say is that this game was a let down. I'm not a die hard Halo, but I like the universe that Bungie Created... sadly, it feels way too much the same as ODST, like an ODST v2 in terms of story. It supposed to be biggest low point of the war, and it felt just like another day at the office. Especially one mission where you see many dead corpses laying on the street, there's no atmosphere or feeling of despair, due to the game's music for one (which is pretty terrible compared to other titles) and that the game finishes way too quickly, you don't get enough story to make you emphasise with the Spartans, or with the UNSC. Pretty poor. Albeit the Multiplayer has it's perks, with the new forge map and the Invasion Game mode, it just seem's recycled, and will never beat Halo 2 Slayer any time soon. Hardly Game of the year. If you're a true Halo or just a casual Shooter player, avoid this game, or wait until it's at least down in price, and from the look's of these reviews, it will be soon. Expand
  20. Sep 29, 2010
    First and Foremost: The metascore average is NOT 92. ATTN: Metacritic staff, please check your math and update with the CORRECT Metascore. On to the game. Over the years the genre of first person shooters have evolved. Halo hasn't. It is with games like this that many so-called "critics" lose any shred of credibility they may have had by lauding praise on this mediocre game and heapingFirst and Foremost: The metascore average is NOT 92. ATTN: Metacritic staff, please check your math and update with the CORRECT Metascore. On to the game. Over the years the genre of first person shooters have evolved. Halo hasn't. It is with games like this that many so-called "critics" lose any shred of credibility they may have had by lauding praise on this mediocre game and heaping such high scores upon it. Call of Duty gave us iron sights, Crysis gave us innovative armor abilities, and so on. Halo Reach's main innovation is the ability to sprint. For a game being released in 2010 this is unacceptable. Reach really offers nothing new beyond slightly more polished graphics. The storytelling is still a mess, the team-mate AI is pathetic, and the game really offers nothing new or innovative. At best Reach is a mediocre to decent fps that has gained such success from its name and from the millions of dollars spent on marketing and hyping the product. If you bought the hype, beleived the hype, and eventually had the hype convince you its the greatest game ever then good for you. However, if you are the type of person that doesn't buy hype and marketing and judges a product based on its quality instead, then don't waste your time or money with this game. Expand
  21. Sep 21, 2010
    Once again Bungie fails to breath life back in a title that has been dead since it's first iteration. Halo: Combat Evolved was innovative and the universe it painted was new and exciting. Halo 2 failed to follow that example and the subsequent titles have only heaped more dirt on it's grave. With any luck this will finally be that last Halo title.
  22. War
    Sep 20, 2010
    Halo 3 multiplayer + halo odst firefight + old map = Halo reach. If you have $60 do not buy does game save up for CoD Black ops. Using the same recycled gameplay we saw back last decade, it seems as if Bungie is trying too hard to milk the series gullible fanbase for the hard earned cash. The new additions are mostly gimmicky, they do nothing to move the game forward but seem to impede it.Halo 3 multiplayer + halo odst firefight + old map = Halo reach. If you have $60 do not buy does game save up for CoD Black ops. Using the same recycled gameplay we saw back last decade, it seems as if Bungie is trying too hard to milk the series gullible fanbase for the hard earned cash. The new additions are mostly gimmicky, they do nothing to move the game forward but seem to impede it. Don't waste your time or money on the forgettable experience. Expand
  23. Sep 20, 2010
    Halo: reach is easily the best game yet in the Halo series. Previous Halo games could not stand up very well in the graphics department, but Reach is a graphical powerhouse, with incredible detail in textures and phenomenal weapon effects. The audio work is brilliant and the gameplay is more fluid than ever. This is Halo's best single player campaign yet, and the multiplayer is soHalo: reach is easily the best game yet in the Halo series. Previous Halo games could not stand up very well in the graphics department, but Reach is a graphical powerhouse, with incredible detail in textures and phenomenal weapon effects. The audio work is brilliant and the gameplay is more fluid than ever. This is Halo's best single player campaign yet, and the multiplayer is so feature-rich, it should last you for years.

This is the ultimate Halo game, and a true contender for Game of the Year 2010.
  24. Sep 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To start, from reading the reviews by Users, most of negative ones are by people who obviously never touched this game. What that said lets actually talk about Reach. The overall game format is pretty standard Halo with some modifications. First is that there is no longer dual welding weapons. Which added to the fact that enemies by and large are harder to take down makes the game more difficult than in the past. Elites are beasts once again where they were nothing from Halo 2 on. When you think of Elites, think Halo 2 Brutes. Single Player offers 10 playable segments (the first segment is video). These range from ground pounding to vehicle combat to space superiority to air support missions. There is a lot of depth in the game play. So much so, while I was playing on Legendary with some friends, one of them comment that "this is not Halo." Of course it is but they are opening it up to show a larger story about the annihilation of the planet. During one point, one of the characters in your squad dies from being shot during a cutscreen and all 3 of us playing were shocked. You have to watch as one by one your squadmates die. I think the story was well done and is a great improvement on the non-Chief based Halo games (i.e. Halo Wars or ODST). When I did the beta for this game, I was very unimpressed by the multiplayer. It looked like a goofy version of Halo 3. I traded in the other Halo games because I love this multiplayer. Bungie really went out of their way to make the multiplayer rich and with lots of variations. Plus the weekly and daily challenges help to give you incentive to play different modes. Specifically Firefight and Forge stand out. This is the best Halo yet and anyone who is in to Sci-Fi shooters should get this game. Expand
  25. Sep 17, 2010
    Halo Reach is by far the best Halo game ever.

Campaign is awesome, armor abilities make it a lot better.
    Firefight is bigger and better.
    Forge has more objects and upgrades.
    MULTIPLAYER IS BEAUTIFUL!!!

Plus the new weapons are very cool!
  26. Oct 15, 2010
    eeeeeeeeeeggggggggggggggggggggggg egggggggggggggggggggggggggg game is overated as **** eggggggggggggggggggg crap your pants fart hotdogs beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeefffffffffffffffffffffffffff fartsss
  27. Sep 19, 2010
    Online matches have more to due with luck than skill. The damage system relies heavily on melee and grenade spamming, and gunfire is almost useless. Because of this, most players just rush at each other with melee attacks. The winner is the player that was lucky to re-spawn near opponents that have weakened shields. The game seems to be designed in such a way so that elite players can'tOnline matches have more to due with luck than skill. The damage system relies heavily on melee and grenade spamming, and gunfire is almost useless. Because of this, most players just rush at each other with melee attacks. The winner is the player that was lucky to re-spawn near opponents that have weakened shields. The game seems to be designed in such a way so that elite players can't dominate every match and potentially scare off newer, less-skilled players, because no matter how good you are, you'll rarely get more than 1-2 kills for before you're killed. Expand
  28. Sep 16, 2010
    This game is amazingly fun and I haven't even tried Forge World Yet! I don't see why people keep putting zeros in for a score. It is a solid game with good game play so please write legitimate reviews! I am going to be playing this game for months ahead so I think it deserves a 10/10.
  29. Nov 12, 2011
    Game delivered. People **** about this game and then MW3 comes out and that makes this look like pure gold

New engine
    New maps and some classics
    new game types and gameplay
    new features and additions to forge
    Great closing story bringing us back to the beginning
    highest quality from bungie.
  30. Sep 17, 2010
    Wow...
    Every single one of these negative reviews are like "Hurr durr, buy a PS3 and play Killzone 2," which can't hold a candle to ANY of the Halo games. I rarely see Xbots voting down games on the console of your choice...
    Wow...

My time with Reach has been great. Nothing short of amazing graphics, story, gameplay, the whole package. The multiplayer is the most fun of any game out there today.

If you can't have fun playing Halo: Reach, then I feel sorry for you.

I own both consoles and both games, so I'm not just talking about something I don't know about like the idiots voting 0 and telling you to buy a PS3. Seriously: grow up, and enjoy your console for what it is.
  31. Oct 13, 2010
    I'm new to this franchise. not kidding. and so far this game bores me. the campaign is slick so far, but i don't think I'll pick it up once i begin playing a new game. can anyone tell me why this game is worth my time?
  32. Sep 16, 2010
    This game looks good. But, with no Master Chief, no. With him not being a part of Reach, this game is an automatic failure. The gameplay is good, but there is NO way that you can say it is even anywhere near the best game ever. The best game ever, my friend, that goes to Grand Theft Auto IV. This is Halo 3, but worse.
  33. Sep 16, 2010
    This is the best game ever! It has everything, campaign, campaign matchmaking, firefight with TONS of customizations, super incredible forge 2.0, super fun and addictive online, custom games, theatre, new weapons, new game types, new vehicles, armory, credits, challenges, awesome file browser, amazing stuff on bungie.net, commendations, new medals, loadouts, armor abilities, epicThis is the best game ever! It has everything, campaign, campaign matchmaking, firefight with TONS of customizations, super incredible forge 2.0, super fun and addictive online, custom games, theatre, new weapons, new game types, new vehicles, armory, credits, challenges, awesome file browser, amazing stuff on bungie.net, commendations, new medals, loadouts, armor abilities, epic cinematics, new enemies, active roster, arena, firefight matchmaking and versus and MORE!!!! Expand
  34. ccc
    Sep 22, 2010
    This game is a big pile of crap.
    The reason for this is the simple fact that it is the 4rth installment into a series that is the exact same crap it was to begin with.
    Trash gameplay that a trained monkey could master. How mindless do gamers really need to be to play this game and love it seriously? Getting down to a technical level I must say Bungi is about one of the worst developers
    This game is a big pile of crap.
    Getting down to a technical level I must say Bungi is about one of the worst developers there are with little next to no talent with this latest offering again almost no improvement over the first installment.
    It still has massive frame rate issues and suffers slowdown just like the first one.
    The only true saving grace this series has is the story line which no shock there was not crafted by Bungi but hired writers which is still a double edged sword as the entire storyline is pretty much ripped from popular 1980 and 1990 movies.
    This game is a wreck and it is unbelievable that certain establishments give this game the ratings they do either by default of being bad gamers themselves, afraid to loose readers/fans or even paid off to say good things about it.
    I think as a company Bungi is great in the way that they can take a crap, sell it to you, wait for you to crap it back out then grab that and sell it to you again and again. They are the masters of that 15 seconds of gameplay, remember saying that Bungi? So shameful to do it and admit it.
  35. Dec 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Reach doesn't reach the quality of previous Halo games. Not even ODST. Sure it's great, that the gameplay changes, but this time the changes made the game only worse. Campaign is interesting at first, but the potential is horribly missed. Even though it has a lot of variation, it's way worse compared to previous campaigns. Deaths of Spartans just feel pointless. Why? Because there isin't really any kind of character development, making you feel nothing about it, what Bungie would have probably wanted you to feel. Second problem is the levels. You might think, that you will get epic fights and such, but Bungie didn't do anything like that. Space battle is ok, but it didn't feel as good as firefights in the rest of the time. Potential is horribly missed, but the epilogue level is great. What about multiplayer? It isin't really better than campaign. Bloom slows down already slow gameplay. Jumping and player speed has been reduced for armour abilities. Ridicolous aim assist, which allows shots to be hit even, if you just went to cover. Maps are horrible and grenades are ridicolously overpowered. You can't jump to avoid grenade damage and you will die from grenade, if you have suffered only 5% damage to the shields. Sprint + Energy Sword is now overpowered combo, because of lack of blocking. If you want to buy Halo game, buy Halo 3 instead. This game is just bad. Expand
  36. Sep 20, 2010
    Those who claim this is the "Best Multiplayer Game EVAR!111!" have obviously never touched a fantastic multiplayer shooter like Team Fortress 2 on the PC, or have simply forgotten how amazing Halo 2's multiplayer on the Xbox was.
  37. Sep 23, 2010
    Halo 3 was nowhere near as impressive as the new Reach, the graphics and environments are eye poppingly beautiful, the audio and music is atmospheric and powerful, and the story, well, it's there. Most people play the game for the sake of playing the game, and I'm no exception. This is Halo on Steroids, big, beautiful, loud, explosive and a treat to play. Don't expect much new gameplayHalo 3 was nowhere near as impressive as the new Reach, the graphics and environments are eye poppingly beautiful, the audio and music is atmospheric and powerful, and the story, well, it's there. Most people play the game for the sake of playing the game, and I'm no exception. This is Halo on Steroids, big, beautiful, loud, explosive and a treat to play. Don't expect much new gameplay here, but count on an awesome time in front of your big screen. It's a must-buy for ANY Xbox owner. Expand
  38. Sep 23, 2010
    Halo Reach is the best game in the Halo series to date. There is so much to do and see in this game it is overwhelming. A must buy for anyone with an Xbox 360!
  39. Sep 21, 2010
    Now i am a halo fanboy and for 6 years i have thought that halo 1 is the best in the series. Reach topped that and it is now my favorite game of all time. Campaign is only 6-8 hours but thats just a small part of the game. Multiplayer is fun as hell with over about 20 game modes. It's got firefight that is like horde from gears. Online 4 people can play the campaign together. It's myNow i am a halo fanboy and for 6 years i have thought that halo 1 is the best in the series. Reach topped that and it is now my favorite game of all time. Campaign is only 6-8 hours but thats just a small part of the game. Multiplayer is fun as hell with over about 20 game modes. It's got firefight that is like horde from gears. Online 4 people can play the campaign together. It's my favorite game of all time and i've bought every halo that's ever came out. I give it a 10. Expand
  40. Apr 24, 2011
    Halo Reach is a good game; armour abilities give Halo a much needed bit of innovation, and the weaponry is quite different to previous Halo titles. The campaign is enjoyable and proves a challenge on Normal difficulty. I have yet to attempt it with my mates on Legendary but expect it to be difficult. The story is good, and the characters sculpted nicely before the inevitable conclusion.Halo Reach is a good game; armour abilities give Halo a much needed bit of innovation, and the weaponry is quite different to previous Halo titles. The campaign is enjoyable and proves a challenge on Normal difficulty. I have yet to attempt it with my mates on Legendary but expect it to be difficult. The story is good, and the characters sculpted nicely before the inevitable conclusion. The multiplayer is where this game is brilliant value-for-money; many many modes from infection to classic team deathmatch, with anything from 4v4 to 9v9 games, you're sure to find something to play and there are many maps, some huge, some nice and intricate. Forge mode returns, but on a grand scale, with an enormous world on which to create a map. Firefight also returns, with Xbox LIVE support and very in depth settings to tweak how you wish. This game is literally jam packed with content and it's hard to fault it in any way or do anything but recommend buying. I enjoyed it, but it didn't strike that same special feeling as I got when I played Combat Evolved all those year ago. 3/5. Expand
  41. Sep 27, 2010
    I've played all the Halo's going back to the original on the XBOX. This is the best Halo, it looks better, it plays better, it has more options, more features, more everything. Now, as far as campaign goes, let's face it, Halo CE is unbeatable, its like a new Star Wars movie trying to beat the original Star Wars...CAN'T BE DONE! It's a classic for a reason. Still, this campaign is a funI've played all the Halo's going back to the original on the XBOX. This is the best Halo, it looks better, it plays better, it has more options, more features, more everything. Now, as far as campaign goes, let's face it, Halo CE is unbeatable, its like a new Star Wars movie trying to beat the original Star Wars...CAN'T BE DONE! It's a classic for a reason. Still, this campaign is a fun one.

Obviously there is significant amount of those who post reviews just to hate on a game, you'd be wise to ignore them. I find very little merit to most of their arguments, none that even bear repeating.

The only thing missing is all my friends who grew up and don't play video games any more...we would have had a lot of fun LAN partying this game. As it is online is great. Too bad the online community of games is so ruthless in their language. I simply have mute set as the default and only use party chat with friends. While this hurts teamwork...if you are a person of normal maturity level, you'd be wise to do the same. The other annoying thing online is players who are not there to play the game, just there to be "tools" and/or quit in the middle of a game. I can't really blame the game makers for this, its just something to be aware of that could negatively impact your online experience.
  42. Nov 10, 2010
    I'm still playing it every day, it's pretty darn good. Being a huge Halo fan I can honestly say it has the potential to be the best in the series. Chock full of features, and updated gameplay and graphics while adhering at it's core to the Halo formula is done well. I'm reviewing months after release for a reason however, to make sure I'm not caught up in the initial "glow". As bungieI'm still playing it every day, it's pretty darn good. Being a huge Halo fan I can honestly say it has the potential to be the best in the series. Chock full of features, and updated gameplay and graphics while adhering at it's core to the Halo formula is done well. I'm reviewing months after release for a reason however, to make sure I'm not caught up in the initial "glow". As bungie continues to tweak the playlists, and the game mechanics themselves ( as they tend to do to meet community wishes ), it could be a 10. For now, it's an 8. Expand
  43. Sep 15, 2010
    Halo Reach is a great game!! Is it perfect, no!! Don't not listen to all the Sony fanboys on here...of course they are going to rate it down!! If you like a good singleplayer and multiplayer shooter pick it up!!
  44. Sep 15, 2010
    I lol'd at all the fanboys that don't have Halo: Reach or played it and they come rate it a 0. They should take off all of those fanboy ratings because I played this game and it is way better than it FPS on PS3 so all those fanboys that have no life just trashing a game they don't have need to go get a life. I have the game and it's good.
  45. Sep 15, 2010
    First off, if you didn't play the game don't rate it. People complain that it looks just like the last one, the graphics are terrible, blah blah blah. These people obviously haven't played the game at all. Also, people say the game has a 3-4 hour campaign. yeah, when you play on easy mode where it takes 10 enemies to damage you. On Heroic, the campaign is easily 10 hours or more, andFirst off, if you didn't play the game don't rate it. People complain that it looks just like the last one, the graphics are terrible, blah blah blah. These people obviously haven't played the game at all. Also, people say the game has a 3-4 hour campaign. yeah, when you play on easy mode where it takes 10 enemies to damage you. On Heroic, the campaign is easily 10 hours or more, and Legendary is even longer. The game is similar to halo 3, but at the same time it's its own game. The multiplayer experience is fresh with new gametypes, weapons, maps and vehicles. It plays much differently. Another thing: the forge is now much more streamlined and easy to use. the game was out for 24 hrs and i was impressed by the amazing maps that had already been created by the community. People say that it's like call of duty. The only similarities i can find are loadouts and the fact that it's an FPS, and the loadouts aren't even remotely similar to those in COD. If you are one of those whiny people that hate everything that has the word halo anywhere near it, then fine. Don't buy it, it's one less person the community has to listen to wine online. Sure, call me a fanboy if you want. Everything I've said here is the truth, stated as plainly as i can. I think right now the game is probably a 9.75. There are still a couple of server issues that need to be worked out, plus not all playlists are available yet. But this is Bungie's last hurrah, and i think that they've done the series and their fans proud. Expand
  46. Sep 16, 2010
    Fantastic game, is a true representation of what Games should be like, it's what Developers need to DO! Many have lost their way, Bringing out sequels that are basically the same as the previous version. (mw1/mw2 etc etc).

Bungie's last wish has come true, This is an epic game, and it shows just how epic some game developers can be, and what it can give back to the community. Best Game

Best Game of the Year by miles 10/10
  47. Sep 16, 2010
    Great game! jhsdflkdjs fldskj fdslk jfdslkfj dsljfsdlkfj sdlkf jdkjf kjf erjuwlkj nvmcsdfsd t sr sr tesetsst awre wet wqet WERT WRT E TSY YAY A ya y st xt
  48. Sep 16, 2010
    Halo reach is an amazing game, nearly perfect in avery aspect of game play it shined in campain with an amazing story and epic scenery. But, if you play a game just for MM reach won't disapoint, it's ranking system is flawless finaly rid of the boosters and derankers that plauged halo games of the past. Reach is the game of the year in my book.
  49. Pyr
    Sep 16, 2010
    This is an awesome game, I played the beta and I had been eagerly waiting play the full version that I now own. It's everything I was looking forward to and more, the campaign is fun and challenging and the multiplayer is much improved and the graphics are great.
  50. Sep 16, 2010
    Nada que hacer, es el máximo de la saga Halo. Hasta pronto Bungie, solo esperemos que 343 sepa por lo menos igualar su obra maestra. Es mejor esperar todo lo que esparamos pero que saquen productos de tan alta calidad como este trabajo.
  51. Sep 16, 2010
    It's astonishing how many user reviews on here are obviously not from people who have played the game. Even if the game was awful, I certainly wouldn't review it if I didn't play it. Anyway, I'll keep this short. The campaign is one of the most varied yet and dare I say it the best in the series. Excellent AI keeps you on your toes, great (but not brilliant) graphics, amazing music andIt's astonishing how many user reviews on here are obviously not from people who have played the game. Even if the game was awful, I certainly wouldn't review it if I didn't play it. Anyway, I'll keep this short. The campaign is one of the most varied yet and dare I say it the best in the series. Excellent AI keeps you on your toes, great (but not brilliant) graphics, amazing music and audio effects, super-addictive and refined multiplayer and enough gameplay provided between the campaign, firefight, matchmaking and forge that you'll be playing this for years. Expand
  52. Sep 16, 2010
    I am very happy with this game. I told myself I was done after Halo 3 but I am very glad I decided to purchase this. Multiplayer is way more fun with the addition of the armor abilities. The difficulty is intense but not frustrating. As for the whining fanboys who give a game they never played a zero simply due to it not being on the console they happen to own just dis-regard theirI am very happy with this game. I told myself I was done after Halo 3 but I am very glad I decided to purchase this. Multiplayer is way more fun with the addition of the armor abilities. The difficulty is intense but not frustrating. As for the whining fanboys who give a game they never played a zero simply due to it not being on the console they happen to own just dis-regard their reviews. Just smile to yourself and realize that you will never be as pathetic as some of these bottom feeders. Expand
  53. Sep 16, 2010
    The only good thing about this game is the campaign, the online gameplay is full of nothing but bull **** calls. **** terrible job on the online aspect of this game all around.
  54. Sep 16, 2010
    I gave this game a couple days. I played the campaign (really short! I beat it on normal in under 5 hours) and played everything online has to offer and realized one main thing. Boring. If you have played Halo 3 or for that matter, any other Halo, it is the same basic game. Firefight is a a joke since you can make yourself invulnerable with unlimited ammo to get all the achievements.I gave this game a couple days. I played the campaign (really short! I beat it on normal in under 5 hours) and played everything online has to offer and realized one main thing. Boring. If you have played Halo 3 or for that matter, any other Halo, it is the same basic game. Firefight is a a joke since you can make yourself invulnerable with unlimited ammo to get all the achievements. Speaking of achievements, they don't even work all the time! How could bungie release a game with broken achievements?

Basically, if you are interested in an in depth single player experience, you are better off figuring out why there needs to be another CoD clone of MW. If you are looking for the MP(like most of you are), I have to say it lacks. The grenades have a massive buff, the main weapons are the DMR and Needle Rifle, which leave the game with an empty feeling. The main strategy is to fire at the enemy until they turn a corner, then lob your nades if you see them on your motion tracker behind the corner. Teamwork? Yes, but the basic Halo teamwork there always has been. Such as,"Hey you have a sniper rifle!", says your teammate. *assassination* "Not anymore!" Then you are left with the decision to boot the player (which will harm your team since most games are small 4v4 matches) or let him be a 10 year old on your team. There is of course the other basic teamwork of,"Guys, lets run around or camp until we see enemies and then call out when their shields are down so we can steal each others kills." Not my kind of game.

Hynda, the Wii has terrible games. I recently gave mine away. Who wants to play Mario and cartoon games forever? Other than the Japanese. 3 words; Fallout: New Vegas. When the Wii gets it, I'll S*** BRICKS.
  55. Sep 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Multiplayer wise i am incredibly pleased, except for the poor amount of maps. it's following the halo 3 recipe, it works and some new stuff has been added. Making a long story short, i'd go for a 9/10 on that part. In single player however, the story and characters are a huge dissappointment, it feels like ODST 2, only without the spooky feeling of being alone in the dark. The gameplay is good, but the story is quite boring and the characters are not worthy of mentioning, there's a lack of backbone to the story, and it feels like youre watching a b-movie from hollywood. I can't possibly give that more than 5/10. It's very good gameplay wise, but the story and characters are far below average, and the single player experince is truly dissappointing, thefore, an average, 5/10. Overall the game scores 7/10 from me, cause i think Halo is just as much a single player game, as it is an awesome multiplayer shooter. Expand
  56. Sep 17, 2010
    You can get a pretty good idea of what Halo Reach generally has to offer from reviews by both customers and professional critics available, but I'd like to focus this review on certain aspect of Reach that I found particularly worthy of praise, namely the combat. For me, Bungies Halo series (not counting Ensemble's still excellent Halo Wars) have always had distinctive, varied and freeYou can get a pretty good idea of what Halo Reach generally has to offer from reviews by both customers and professional critics available, but I'd like to focus this review on certain aspect of Reach that I found particularly worthy of praise, namely the combat. For me, Bungies Halo series (not counting Ensemble's still excellent Halo Wars) have always had distinctive, varied and free flowing combat I love, but Reach is really the pinnacle of that Bungie unique brand of FPS combat. It's hard to find faults in a system that Bungie invented and perfected through almost two decades of developing FPS.

In a lot of other FPSs, there's usually couple of selected weapons I tend to gravitate toward after familiarizing myself with what's available in the game. However, players would be hard pressed to find such "Swiss Army knife" of guns in Reach. The weapons library and availability are well balanced; the perfect weapon is very much dependent on the various elements of any given situation and environment. While the basic combination of energy arms to wear the shield down and kinetic ones to kill still provide the basis of your weapon selection consideration, increase in variety of open and close environments and types of enemy encountered add complicity and weightier consequences to decisions made on what firearms to bring into the next battle. This by no means strictly limits each weapon into specific categories of engagements. On the contrary I found most weapons to be flexible enough to serve in all situation but choosing the right ones to match your skill sets and circumstances is absolutely critical in surviving higher difficulties in the game.

The levels themselves are excellently designed and provide the perfect backdrops to both small and large scale battles. Placement of enemy troops seems to be pre-scripted limiting battles to specific locale on the map, but the movement of those enemies are not as restricted and helps to retain dynamic flow of the battle. While the maps are fairly linear, the areas of each encounter are open (horizontally and vertically, I might add) and offer great amount of flexibility in tactical approaches and executions, especially with other live players. During a coop campaign mission, I found myself going back to a perch from an earlier point in the game that overlook the area we were suppose to defend and provided effective stand off support from a distance for my teammates.

Speaking of teammates, AI of your computer controlled allies have not changed all that much from the previous games, which isn't necessary a bad thing. I like the fact that Halo friendly AI can act independent of players' action. In combat, they are not hiding behind the player character expecting he/her to push the front line forward like other FPS (CoD). But some sense of self preservation in friendly teammates like Covenant grunts often display would go a long way to immerse the player. On the other hand, enemy AI have improved drastically. Players no longer have their sole attention like I've seen in many other FPS. Covenant troops seem to react to other Spartans or human soldiers as well, depending on the level of threat they present at that instant. Since player is never alone in any mission, this effectively makes flanking a viable and necessary tactic in SP campaign. When I drop back to recharge shield, it's an opportunity to approach the enemy from the side while they are focused on my teammates. It isn't an sure fire technique as enemy AI sometimes will utilize their advantage and pursue when when you're recharging especially if you are overly aggressive and advance too far behind the line. Enemy AI will now recognize and use force multiplier in field like turrets (even gun turrets on abandoned warhogs which was something I didn't see them doing in previous games) and unoccupied vehicles. Overall, they seem "smarter" than before at gauging the situation and player intent then reacting accordingly; for example they throw grenades to flush out players in defensible positions, move to a safe distance before firing explosive weapon when players are close, deploy armor lock-down when players try to run them over, disable player vehicle with plasma overcharge to counter zoom and boom tactic etc.

The only real complaint I have is the fact that drop ship deployment are almost instantaneous and in static locations often invulnerable to fire from ground. The instant enemy reinforcement really work against my usual tactics of wearing the enemy strength down from medium and long range then seizing the momentum and charging at the weaken remaining troops. In Reach such combination of tactics would get me sandwiched between the remaining enemies and fresh reinforcement dropping behind me. But that's more of a personal preference than a legitimate gripe toward the game.
  57. Sep 17, 2010
    this was the best game i have ever played except maybe halo 3. The graphics are awesome (for a halo) and the game play was flawless. The multiplayer is better even that Bad Company 2. If you don't buy and love this game, you are lame and stupid.
  58. Sep 17, 2010
    Definitely lives up to the hype. The campaign is amazing, especially playing co-op, and the multiplayer is the best yet with more customization than you'll know what to do with. With the new Forge and armor upgrade system Halo: Reach was well worth the wait.
  59. Sep 17, 2010
    Actual score: 9
    Actual score: 9
    Listen, if you didn't like Halo before this game, it's not going to try to change your mind. Why would it? Bungie already has millions of faithful fans, and as their last installment, they were not trying to widen their range. If you already hated Halo, and you're reviewing this, either A. You're an idiot for spending your money expecting a franchise as successful as Halo to cater to you.
    B. You're a liar who doesn't have the game and can't stand that other people love it.
    I'm not saying this game shouldn't have negative reviews. I'll admit, those saying that the campaign doesn't come close to the first have a point. But to give it a 7 or 6 based on that is, I believe, unfair. Most games that come out these days have a 4-6 hour campaign with a forgettable plot and no replay value. Halo Reach has a 10 hour campaign with an alright story and plenty of re-playability thanks to features like 4 player co-op, scoring systems, and the vast number of game-tweaking skulls. I'll admit, the narrative has something to be desired, and the characters simply aren't there long enough to care about them, but to someone who already is into the Halo lore (and there is a lot of it), this provides a short but sweet prologue.
    As for campaign gameplay, it starts out slow, but by the last few levels it really starts to feel like you're part of a losing war. There are no more backtracking levels, and no more flood. The real treat, however, is the amazing AI. Enemy AI that is. Friendlies still have a hard time driving and shooting. The enemies however, especially the elites, are superb. In no other game will the computer enemies dive, dodge, flank, or sneak up on you as much as a Halo elite. And in reach, they just get better. Brutes are characteristically.. well.. brutal, and hunters are for the first time a serious threat; tough to take down and heavy hitters.
    The campaign I would give an 8. But really, this game deserves a high score on content alone. When you buy your average game, you pay for a campaign, maybe some co-op mode, and multiplayer. When you buy Halo Reach, you buy a co-op campaign, a co-op mode, multiplayer with a ranked arena system, a HUGE map editor, game-wide theater replay, and best of all file-share, which allows players across Halo to share maps, gametypes, screens, and films.
    Not much to say about multiplayer. There aren't too many maps, but all of them are great. Blood Gulch finally makes a triumphant return, and Ivory Tower plays better than ever. Invasion is a new way for players to finally get their fill of elite vs. spartan conflict, and headhunter is just crazy. The biggest gameplay changes lie in the new armor abilities. They are all extremely fun to use and so far seem perfectly balanced. I prefer fooling enemies with the hologram, while my friends like to fly above with the jetpack to rain terror. Besides some new weapons, vehicles, and gameplay tweaks however, it's still Halo. If you hate Halo, you'll hate this.
    Firefight was never my favorite, but it's hard to not try it now and then with the amount of customization offered now. You change every set, every wave, every group of enemies. You can change their behavior, statistics, and weapon loadouts. Really, it's overwhelming. It also now includes matchmaking support.
    Theater mode is just as great as ever, but they seem to have removed the ability to watch with parties. This is a huge downer for me, as my doubles partner and I love to reminisce about old games. Still, considering no FPS games even have this feature, it's hard to complain.
    And forge. Wow. I spent hundreds of hours creating and sharing maps in the first forge, and I'm scared to even start with the new one. Whereas in Halo 3 you were often limited by frustrating controls and limited object physics, in forge world you honestly feel like your imagination is only thing limiting you. There really is almost nothing you cannot do. You can't change geography I guess, but you already have a huge variety of settings in the world, and you can add scenery like rocks and trees. Seriously, my friends and I have played thousands of H2/H3 custom games, and with the new forge system, I don't see us stopping any time soon.
    On the technical elements, the graphics are nice but nothing spectacular this day and age. Weapons and character models look amazing, but environments look plain and the frame rate can occasionally go down in heavy moments. The sound is the real star. While not quite matching the intensity of Bad Company's booming accompaniment, Reach is still far above average this time, with powerful-sounding guns and cannons, and rumbling explosions. Much more engaging than your average video game.
    All in all, you get what you pay for. If you're a Halo fan, you already know you're getting this. If you're one of those guys who absolutely despises Halo, stay away from us. No one cares.
    Technical: 8
    Story: 7
    Gameplay: 10
    Content: 10
  60. Sep 18, 2010
    In the beginning, you know the end.
    In the beginning, you know the end.
    These are the words Bungie have used to market Halo Reach and nothing could be closer to the truth. Over the last decade, Halo has been one of the most successful franchises in gaming history, providing the XBOX with a killer app and itself becoming a cultural phenomenon. However, with the Halo trilogy done, and as the fan base knows what happens to Reach, it was imperative that a deeper story would be needed that extended the Reach narrative.
    Enter Noble Team. An elite group of six Spartan soldiers located on Reach tasked with a mission to investigate the 'Visegrad Relay'. You play as Noble Six, a replacement Spartan for the others 'missing in action'. The first thing you will notice about the game is the improvement to the graphics. The engine has been completed overhauled and with smoother animation, this is easily the most technically impressive Halo yet. The artistic design is phenomenal, with Reach itself becoming a central character in the game with amazing vistas and variety.
    Althought the campaign is only 9 missions long, there is enought variety in terms of levels and scenarios to make this a valid purchase. Each mission, on Legendary, can take over an hour to complete.
    So, I've given Halo Reach a 9. What makes Halo Reach good?
    After completing the campaign, I had to admit I was a little dissapointed. I played the campaign on 'Heroic' difficulty and managed to complete it in a day. I had my own expectations of what I wanted to get from Halo Reach that I didn't get from this. But, in hindsight and after going back to the game with a clear head, Halo Reach is a brilliant piece of software.
    The campaign is incredibly varied. To go into too much detail enters 'spoiler territory' but the level 'Last Night in Solace' is my favourite Halo campaign mission ever. (Note: the mission shown in the E3 reveal!). Bungie have upted the action meter with a lot of background going on. Reach is being attacked by the Covenant and it feels like it. You will see battles in the skies and distance and there is a genuine feel of a constant threat around you trying to take your planet.
    The campaign does have it's shortcomings which I noticed more from playing on the 'Legendary' difficulty. The artificial intelligence. I had issues of Brutes walking past about seven marines to come for me, which completely killed the atmosphere. Likewise, the marines didn't fire shots. The marines are terrible at driving warthogs, always sending you in the line of fire (Legendary, that means death!) and concentrating fire on the wrong targets. Frustrating. I also noticed on the hardest difficulty the weapons seem to be unbalanced. It takes a silly amount of amunition to take down the smallest of targets and I feel Bungie should have relied more on 'armor upgrades' or 'tactics' to improve the difficulty rather than something as cheap as 'it will take 3 times as more shots to kill me'. An example is Ghost vs Ghost on Legendary you will always lose, even if you had the upper hand. Basically, the CPU cheats to make it difficult, which it still isn't, suprisingly. Another example is Elites dual-weilding plasma rifles, which you cannot do.
    Despite these shortcomings, Halo Reach does have some impressive campaign sleeves up it's belt. 'Armor abilities'. You'd think these would be game-breaking but infact, they are my new favourite additions to Halo. Armor abilities allow you to perform certain actions which now provides a new tactical edge to gameplay. The 'Hologram' is incredibly useful and hilarious in multiplayer as well as 'Armor Lock' which stops Online Vehicle Killing Sprees...finally.
    There are so many posotives to the Halo Reach package. Outside the campaign, there is a new CR system to purchase armor upgrades which are reflected in game and a new way of levelling up. It's a shame this was not expanded into other territories but I suppose that is what DLC is for. Forge has been expanded to include a 'map-editing' feature known as 'Forge World'. You cannot amend the geometry of the level but you can add items and structures. Firefight, from ODST, is included with several other gamnetypes such as 'Arena, Score Attack' which provide a large online package.
    The story of Halo Reach is well paced, but I wish there was a deeper narrative to develop a relationship with your fellow Spartans. I liked the fact that, despite everything going on, you were not the central character, the planet itself was. In the latter parts of the game, you are tasked with missions that are not exactly stereotypically 'end of game' missions but make you feel small and disposable, which is what you are in the jist of things.
    So, in conclusion, Halo Reach is a fantastic product. The campaign, on it's own scores at least an 8 with the other packages available pushing this to a nine. Play it on Heroic, you'll enjoy it and try legendary once you fancy a challenge. FeelinLuckyPUNK
  61. Sep 18, 2010
    As soon as I stepped into the first mission I immediately felt uncomfortable. It took a while before I realized why. It had nothing to do with the game itself, but my familiarity with the game series. You're a whole new Spartan and you're not alone, giving it a feeling akin to suddenly being an older sibling. It's something you should first get used to before passing judgement. When I seeAs soon as I stepped into the first mission I immediately felt uncomfortable. It took a while before I realized why. It had nothing to do with the game itself, but my familiarity with the game series. You're a whole new Spartan and you're not alone, giving it a feeling akin to suddenly being an older sibling. It's something you should first get used to before passing judgement. When I see people giving negative reviews, they often mention "old game play" But honestly, every shooter I've ever played has the same rule that put no difference between each other, that being, shoot and kill, and the difference is the execution between control layouts and what your get out of doing it. Grunt Birthday party, is fun, but not nearly as it was in Halo 2. As the game progresses, you get to know and respect your team for their strengths and character. AI is still at a point where you don't let them drive, though they seem less prone to flip, they drive like someone just stepping to the driver's seat, slowing you down quite a bit. Only thing I don't like is the lack of Flood, though they are rightfully left out, I wish they were in Fire Fight. Let's face it, they didn't get much attention in Halo 3. I will admit, I am disappointed, but that's because I was looking forward to something as epic as Mass Effect 2. It isn't, but it is hard to compare to a game of that caliber, that and the fact that they're different genres; Mass Effect being a 3rd person RPG, giving it more room, options, and several different ways to interact with people and knowing characters to a more personal level, (I fell in love with the cinematic) and Halo Reach being a 1st person Shooter with1 ending and characters showing who they are gradually as it progresses on a professional level. When it comes to game-play, it does seems like it's slower paced than the other installments, which continues to bother me, but I also had the same problem with Mass Effect 2. Overall, this is a game worth checking out. Expand
  62. Sep 19, 2010
    Halo Reach is truly enjoyable. My son and I completed the campaign via split screen and enjoyed the pace, story, orchestral score and playability. The multiplayer in cooperative mode is fun as well, or for a challenge, try competitive multiplayer. Thanks for a great series Bungie!
  63. Sep 19, 2010
    The campaign is second only to the first Halo. But when you consider the whole package (Campaign, Firefight, Multilayer, Forge) I think it is the best Halo yet. With some interesting new weapons and a new feel for the story the campaign was a blast and is definitely worth playing over again. Firefight has improved quite a bit since ODST. It is nice to be able to make your own game types inThe campaign is second only to the first Halo. But when you consider the whole package (Campaign, Firefight, Multilayer, Forge) I think it is the best Halo yet. With some interesting new weapons and a new feel for the story the campaign was a blast and is definitely worth playing over again. Firefight has improved quite a bit since ODST. It is nice to be able to make your own game types in Firefight. The multilayer is better than ever with more game options, the addition of load-outs, new weapons, armor abilities, and fun new maps. Forge has also greatly improved. What was once extremely frustrating in Halo 3 is only slightly frustrating in Reach. I would definitely recommend this to ALL of my friends. Expand
  64. Sep 20, 2010
    I don´t see significant improvements graphically, the single player campaign leaves much to be desired, however, is an entertaining game in its cooperative campaign
  65. Sep 20, 2010
    Wow, it's a perfect game! Bungie has discovered perfection formula! Halo Reach's graphics are the most beautiful ever, but yea not the best. But the feeling in that spacious place, with that cars, with that war whole thing! Wh-oah! They put a great and remarkable end to they last game with Microsoft-only.

An epic adventure, well told. The most epic game ever, maybe.
  66. Sep 20, 2010
    I usually agree with the "real" critics, but not on this one. Played them all. Played this game, all parts, and nothing in the game is memorable for me. It has beautiful vistas and outdoor areas and improved resolution. My biggest disappointment was there was nothing new in the game-play. I have already played too many hours of the same game-play and the new armor abilities don't add muchI usually agree with the "real" critics, but not on this one. Played them all. Played this game, all parts, and nothing in the game is memorable for me. It has beautiful vistas and outdoor areas and improved resolution. My biggest disappointment was there was nothing new in the game-play. I have already played too many hours of the same game-play and the new armor abilities don't add much for me. My favorite part - the action after the credits. My final test of greatness; as soon as I'm done, I crank up the difficulty and start over. Couldn't be bothered. Expand
  67. Sep 20, 2010
    This is the greatest FPS to ever grace any console. It will be very hard to ever deliver a game on this level again. I only stopped playing it to have sex with my girlfriend.
  68. Sep 21, 2010
    overhyped and under fulfills, not what i (and lots of others) were hoping for, for bungies swansong halo game. feels too old. too many fanboys screaming i love halo, when halo became disinteresting after the shambolic end to halo 2. it just no longer has that wow factor, maybe in part as it is a prequel and we know what we already know but it just feels slightly disjointed and wrong. butoverhyped and under fulfills, not what i (and lots of others) were hoping for, for bungies swansong halo game. feels too old. too many fanboys screaming i love halo, when halo became disinteresting after the shambolic end to halo 2. it just no longer has that wow factor, maybe in part as it is a prequel and we know what we already know but it just feels slightly disjointed and wrong. but thats my opinion. i see all these 10's and raving reviews, that the game just does not deserve Expand
  69. Sep 21, 2010
    This is an amazing Game!!!!!!!!!! Any fan of a first person shooter will love it. My only complaint is the shooting mechanics are a bit off. Besides that buy it you will not regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  70. Sep 21, 2010
    Truly a great game. I wasn't the biggest Halo fan but this game changed my opinion. New features like stealth 3rd person kills, classes, and a better forge made this game awesome. Great job Bungie
  71. Sep 23, 2010
    Reach is easily the best halo since combat evolved. Really it should have been Halo 3. Campaign was a tad short but classic. All these people that didnt like it are flat out little kids, that arent old enough to buy the game in the first place, complaining about how they changed it so much. They complain that they were great at halo 3 and suck at this. That's because this, unlike halo 3,Reach is easily the best halo since combat evolved. Really it should have been Halo 3. Campaign was a tad short but classic. All these people that didnt like it are flat out little kids, that arent old enough to buy the game in the first place, complaining about how they changed it so much. They complain that they were great at halo 3 and suck at this. That's because this, unlike halo 3, this is not noob friendly. They took away noob dual wielding, never seen one pro use this on a regular basis, as well they made the cross hair expand with the recoil so you have to time your shots and slow the pace. This is halo back to its roots, where it should be. Pro's are finally obvious and no little kids can think or claim they are pros, like they did in halo 3, because true skill really comes through this time. I have won 1000's of dollars in tournaments (since halo 1) and was flat out sick of all these noobs claiming to be pro. To the point where i stopped taking challenges unless it was at a tournament. Lost count of how many kids i shut out that thought they were MLG. This game finally puts noobs and medium skilled players in their place. If you dont like it, practice and get better. Dont blame the game for showing you who you really are. New weapons rock and are balanced, as long as you have an intelligent approach to combat situations you should do all right. Expand
  72. Sep 23, 2010
    HALO: Reach takes what is great about the franchise and makes it better. The campaign is by far the most story-driven of any of the HALO titles with plenty of excellent set pieces and emotional scenarios to draw you into the drama. The weight of the fall of one of humanity's largest colonies is conveyed in a truly masterful fashion. The closing scene after the credits is one of the mostHALO: Reach takes what is great about the franchise and makes it better. The campaign is by far the most story-driven of any of the HALO titles with plenty of excellent set pieces and emotional scenarios to draw you into the drama. The weight of the fall of one of humanity's largest colonies is conveyed in a truly masterful fashion. The closing scene after the credits is one of the most memorable scenarios I've experienced in any game.

Multiplayer is as addicting as ever. With the new credit system allowing you to cosmetically customize your Spartan III being a new pull to keep you engaged, you won't be backing away from this game any time soon. The controls are, expectedly, responsive and intuitive, and the new armour abilities add a new layer of strategy and give you several novel ways to unleash mayhem.

If you are a 360 owner, Reach is definitely a must-have title for your library.
  73. Sep 24, 2010
    This must be THE halo game of generation, story was good and graphics worked well. You can't call yourself a fps-player if you don't try this masterpiece. It's not flawless, but near to it. AI really gives you good fight in story-mode and especially in firefight. Loving it.
  74. Sep 24, 2010
    This was Bungie's last Halo game and hope 343 Industries can fill those big shoes. The campaign may seem short, but it is engaging, the multiplayer is at it's finest, Forge allows greater freedom, and Firefight has been greatly improved. There are also little bonuses for the game, so sign in and check them out. This truly is the best Halo game and the best bet to get Game of the Year.
  75. Sep 25, 2010
    I think that Bungie has finally made a leap in video gaming history i think this game will stand on the gaming market for a long time to come it has a fun and exiting campaign multiplayer is also fun with some new additions like armor abilities modes etc. there are a few downsides like the AI's and a short campaign but really those are just normal factors you see in every other game soI think that Bungie has finally made a leap in video gaming history i think this game will stand on the gaming market for a long time to come it has a fun and exiting campaign multiplayer is also fun with some new additions like armor abilities modes etc. there are a few downsides like the AI's and a short campaign but really those are just normal factors you see in every other game so that doesnt give it much marks down.i also think that it is a sad thing for Bungie to have the final game of the series and the final game they will ever be participating in so really for all the halo fans it must be a really dissapointing thing, but as i have said i think Bungie has finally made a game that will possibly get higher ratins that Mass Effect 2 and have set a gravestone for themselves as 'one of the greatest game developers to date'. Expand
  76. Sep 26, 2010
    Halo 3 was pretty damn good in all respects: Halo Reach polishes, refines and expands on everything that game did. I see myself playing this in 3 years time, hopefully even beyond the closure of the servers. This post is pretty stereotypical already, so I won't bore you further with details that you already know and probably have already formed your own opinion of. But I feel compelled toHalo 3 was pretty damn good in all respects: Halo Reach polishes, refines and expands on everything that game did. I see myself playing this in 3 years time, hopefully even beyond the closure of the servers. This post is pretty stereotypical already, so I won't bore you further with details that you already know and probably have already formed your own opinion of. But I feel compelled to say one thing more: 79 negative reviews? Are these people honestly saying that Halo: Reach is on the same level of quality as the likes of poor movie cash-ins such as Eragon and WALL.E? Sure, if you don't like the game that's fine, but at least try and be professional when posting a review. Your only making yourselves look stupid. Expand
  77. Sep 28, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought this game thinking i'd give halo a final shot after playing halo 3 and feeling disapointed mainly by a bad ending. I didn't preorder it and i really just spent money for the sake of it.I'm doing this review after completing the campaign on legendary by myself and a few missions in co-op and around 7 hours multiplayer. But anyway......
    I'll start off with the good points. Its halo so how bad it can it be? You can't really be cheap on this game and theres not many glitches so for multiplayer you'll never feel cheated or think the games flawed unlike other games like COD or GOW which have many flaws but i still prefer them to halo.
    Now the bad points. **** HELL where do i begin.
    The storyline was terrible partly do to piss poor voice acting and a group of characters that had as much charisma and emotion as a wooden plank i didn't care if any of them died because they weren't interesting characters. In a scene when a marine is being shot at by wraiths he sounds like he spilt his morning coffee over him rather than hes gonna die. And the storyline itself isn't interesting with once again a bad ending way to tie off a series bungie.
    Then theres the gameplay. They've gone back on themselves taken out a number of good features making it have the least in game features since halo one, a game thats Nearly 10 years old. Dual-wielding has been taken out (who SERIOUSLY thought that was a good idea, Fire the dumbass), multiple weapons have been taken out and some replaced by cheap copies. A gun called the concussion rifle is really just a brute shot instead it fires plasma instead of grenades why go to the effort?????? The ai in this game also isn't up to scratch. Sometimes elites stand about why your blasting them in the face with a DMR and then sometimes there **** psychic. Case in point ,at one point in the game two wraiths are shooting at you and a group of spartans when your at the top of a hill (Mission three) these wraiths know where you are even when behind rocks or when you leave there sights its really frustrating!!!!!(this is also the part where i quoted the bad voice acting "i've got enemy tangos on my six" go see for yourself) The AI in this game is bad but for your allies OH MY GOD there **** they don't help you you'll be lucky if they fire a bullet to help you out and there idiots when given regular marines as you can recruit them they die in an instant so would your spartan allies too if it wasn't impossible for them to die. Another thing i found a crap addition was the Power-ups. Some are good Holograph,evade,sprint and active camo were good and were extremely useful. But the others were terrible the computer never falls for armore lock up the bubble shield (sorry drop shield) is easily destroyed since it lasts depending on damage unlike in halo 3 where it was based on time. And the worst of all........ jet packs?????? IS THIS FROM RUSSIA WITH **** LOVE, JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!! They are crap there is never a good time to use them in battle as cover is much more important then flying around, they also fuel the case of the AI being bad because the computer can't shoot and fly at the same time. Thats right the computer can't multi-task in 2010. A slightly annoying point is that they let you use active camo in multiplayer which is a bit annoying but not that bad.
    Multiplayer
    The multiplayer in this one is the worst i've played yet in the halo franchise.
    Theres a few good points though. The servers are very good hardly any lag really well organised and games are quick to find. The forge worlds the best yet and could be like little little big planet (though not as good, but still pretty good)depending on how far the players are willing to go and if bungie uses user created maps. This could mean free dlc map packs. All the game modes are here and some have been revised such as firefight in multiple ways pretty damn good on those fronts. However.... this is the last game in the series so they should have gone ballistic throwing classic maps, map layouts, weapons etc straight at you BUT THEY DON'T. Instead the make cheap copies, the best halo map off all time Coagulation (called hemorrage in this) is a terrible copy. I also noticed a map called reflection on this which is once again a copy of a halo 2 map ivory tower.. As well as a re-imaganing off sanctuary from halo 2, all really cheap copies worse than the ones off previous games even with todays technology. The armor abilites ruin multiplayer so i often just play SWAT, and there using the vote system why not have regular good old fashioned team slayer instead of elite slayer or **** like that. Make what people want to play more specific instead of making them have a flip of a coin chance of playing a game mode they like or one they loathe.
  78. Sep 28, 2010
    The first halo game I actually enjoyed. I never liked halo that much, Halo 1 and 2 were decent but the gameplay lacked in comparison to other fps games like Time Splitters, and the multiplayer was simplistic back then. Halo 3 had a large focus on mainstream gaming because of the extreme auto aim, low damage weapons and the too much use of the same tactics (running in on someone whileThe first halo game I actually enjoyed. I never liked halo that much, Halo 1 and 2 were decent but the gameplay lacked in comparison to other fps games like Time Splitters, and the multiplayer was simplistic back then. Halo 3 had a large focus on mainstream gaming because of the extreme auto aim, low damage weapons and the too much use of the same tactics (running in on someone while shooting and then hitting once was used 9 out of 10)
    All of this however, has now been fixed. Gameplay is incredible smooth (i finnaly have the feeling im controlling the character instead of trying to push a floating object around, this game feels more direct and faster than any halo). Also, because of the new options for jetpacks, stealth, armor lock, etc. Much more tactics are possible, because of the jetpack, close combat weapons are less overpowered, and rockets kan finnaly be evaded by skilled players, however it has been balanced as such that when flying, you take more damage, so skillful players who can actually aim can kill you in no time, and when you become invisble because of stealth, you become deaf, so you can be backstabbed easily yourself, and cant hear were the fighting is. Singleplayer is more of the same, but just with smoother gameplay, and the jetpack allows some new memorable sections. The story is much more human and intelligent, like in ODST. So just small improvements here, nothing spectacular.
    Everyone should check this game out, also non halo fanboys, ESPECIALLY non halo fanboys
  79. Oct 1, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Funny that we live in a world of Halo now. The original Halo formula of carrying only two weapons, a dedicated grenade throwing and melee button, and shields instead of health packs lives on in every first person shooter. Think Call of Duty doesn't have recharging shields, just hide behind a dumpster for a few seconds while you magically heal yourself. All these games are just Halo without the colorful environments and aliens. Halo Reach is a little bit of a step back. The shields are not as strong and health packs are placed sparingly. I liked the grace period offered by Halo 2 and 3 better. Also missing are dual wielding weapons. Dual wielding also took a back seat to using the Battle Rifle, but this had more to do hiding behind cover at a distance than the fun factor of laying down a torrent of fire. Another oddity, a Scarab - the giant walking armored battle bug - returns but you don't fight it. I feel like the game misses out on a few hero moments like fighting the Scarab or singlehandedly storming an alien bunker.

Halo: Reach trades those hero moments for teamwork. You don't lead you term so much as shoot in close vicinity to them. It is definitely a trade off. You need to work with them but you can't really work with them. I was never a fan of having to set way points for my team as if they were bots - and lets be clear here, they are bots - but a little direction would be nice. Just a simple "stop" so I can trade weapons with them would do the trick.

All the criticism is moot, this is Bungie's last Halo game. Moreover, the game is great. I was taken back to the fun of "Assault on the Control Room" many times. The pacing and weapons are great. The space portion was so good I could play a whole game that way, and in fact did in the old X-Wing and Tie Fighter days. The last level is epic not in scope but in emotional impact. Stranded on a planet overcome by the Covenant, all you have left to do is fight to your death. After 4 Halo games here the protagonists live, this game shows you how perilous the fight is, how finishing the fight required a sacrifice of life.
  80. Oct 1, 2010
    This game is simply the worst Halo game ever made. Even ODST was better then this trash. Without comparing this game to previous installments, its a pretty solid game. But the story is horribly bad, and everything else is a straight up rip-off of Halo 3. If you are thinking about buying this game, you should only borrow it.
  81. Sep 20, 2012
    Campaign isn't so bad in this actually. Might of enjoyed it more than 3. The multiplayer? Ehhhh. Not so hot. The loadouts were quite lame and the level design wasn't on par with Halo 3. What can you do when every level has to fit the ridiculous jet pack? Bungie might of rushed this to get the hell quickly away from Microsoft and start their new ambitious project. Not cool.
  82. Oct 10, 2010
    I have 20 years of experience with videogames (consoles and pc) and I am a bit disappointed with Halo Reach .
    Graphics is not so impressive, is worse than 2006 PC games and even on console I have seen something better.
    Interiors have a bad lighting, low res textures and few objects. The engine drops frames very often, especially near smoke or in the middle of battle. Gameplay is THE SAME
    Gameplay is THE SAME of Halo Combact Evolved, this could be a good aspect for someone, but not for me. The introduction of Armor Abilities is only a minor addition (most of them are useless).
    Physics engine feels very very old, very little as changed from Halo CE.
    Vehicles seem weightless and without friction with the ground.
    Squad members AI is very bad (bots are unable to drive, they do not search for protection and shoot a bit to an enemy and a bit to another one, killing only 2-3 enemies out of 10).
    Noble team members are not deep characters, they have no secrets, hidden weaknesses, a background story ... so we do not become attached to them.
    Even the soundtrack is not so good as in the other Halos.
    Campaign is very boring on the first half, then it has an improvement from mission 5.
    Multiplayer is excellent as usual.
    Concluding, I can say that Halo reach is a sort of Halo 3 with minor addition and better graphics (but not so impressive), there are no important innovations, short and boring half campaign, banal characters, bad squad members AI, old physics engine, unchanged gameplay.

I would have given 7.5 to Halo Reach, but since as many people have given wrongly 10, I am forced to compensate giving 5.
  83. Oct 11, 2010
    This is such a hard game to review, lets post a question first, Do you love halo? If so then you are going to love reach, its fantastically pretty making improvements in visuals all over the game, the textures are better the models pretty much everything looks better. This game is a treat to play its a totally polished version of the halo brand and this is its downfall, for non hardcoreThis is such a hard game to review, lets post a question first, Do you love halo? If so then you are going to love reach, its fantastically pretty making improvements in visuals all over the game, the textures are better the models pretty much everything looks better. This game is a treat to play its a totally polished version of the halo brand and this is its downfall, for non hardcore halo gamers this is just halo 3 polished which in turn was halo 2 polished, the campaign has got worse and worse since halo 2 and that wasn't amazing either. Although I'm saying its not an amazing campaign its not a bad one and here lies Reaches major problem, for me its good, even great but its not amazing and its not a big enough step forward and this has been my feeling of all the halo games since 2.

Multi-Player.
    This again is the same its great it does what halo does best online multiplayer but there is a flaw all the maps that people were shouting for in halo 3 and were told they didn't want to re do them, well guess what they've turned up in either a full map or a forge variant. Now this is good but some of the best halo 3 maps are missing!?

They should of picked the best maps from halo 1 - 3 but I'm sure the majority are well aware it likely to be in DLC not sure how but I'm sure its going to happen.

Overall a good game but only buy if you truly love halo if your not a huge lover I'd look elsewhere
  84. Oct 29, 2010
    This is just a Halo 3 ODST with Steroid´s, the new control is horrifying and confusing, only has a new weapon and the campaign is super predictable and undoubtedly need a total renovation urgently!
  85. Oct 17, 2010
    The Graphics are great. But it does not make up for the horrible game play quality. I will explain why i just don't like it. First off I paid $60 for a game that's not even much of a step up from halo 3. In fact i felt it went backwards in many ways. Starting out with the first Halo I remember all the good and fun times i actually had playing on legendary difficult with my friends.None ofThe Graphics are great. But it does not make up for the horrible game play quality. I will explain why i just don't like it. First off I paid $60 for a game that's not even much of a step up from halo 3. In fact i felt it went backwards in many ways. Starting out with the first Halo I remember all the good and fun times i actually had playing on legendary difficult with my friends.None of that here cuz Nearly every single attack is an instant death in this game from heroic-Legendary difficulty. ''Oh Look a drop ship!'' it shoots me and bam dead in one hit. As i said NEARLY Everything in the campaign is a one hit kill on you.I can not tell you how many times i died, Just from random explosions that were not even near me. I guess their idea of fun is to have players die 500 times in one level. The AI is horrible. Your fellow noble 6 spartan teammates can't even make a descent meat shield with their invincibility. I actually think they made the human/spartan AI dumber, While the covenant AI is actually smarter as they always know to dodge my grenades. OH let me talk about the weapons. They took away some of the weapons i love and replaced them with garbage versions. Nearly every single weapon has been Nerfed in some way (downgraded). The plasma grenade for instance will not kill the stronger elites even if you stick it to them, They will be left with a lot of shield power still left. Only weapon that actually seems stronger is the sniper rifle as it kills all vehicles in two hits. The rocket launcher is almost useless at medium to long range against vehicles because they took away the lock-on for all ground vehicles. Now for multiplayer, Every time i set my game options to find the game with the ''Best Connection''. What does it do? It brings me to the laggiest game It could find. On top of that the community is just as bad as ever...All they do is curse and use strong/hateful insults towards other players. Really? Where is the teamwork... The fact that I can not pick what map i want in firefight if i do matchmaking just makes it worse. Your team has to vote on either Regular firefight, Gen Defense, Or Sniper/Rocket launcher game. And it KEEPS MAKING ME PLAY THE EXACT SAME MAPS OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I know there are others but it will only let me play them by myself. So really when i wanna play a free for all slayer, I am not allowed to choose that. It will either throw me into an infection game, Which i hate every much, or a skull collection game. I can't even play juggernaut! I mean really this game is incredibly boring. It forces you to play something you don't want to. Only Reason I gave it a 1 was because i have been playing Halo since 2001. Jeez the game has just gone downhill after Halo 1 which is a masterpiece in my opinion. I actually went back and played it on legendary by myself and had so much more fun than this piece of trash. I can only recommend this game to the fan boys..Other than that please stay away from it! It is not worth it. Plenty of other good games you can play. I'm sorry i made this review so long! I just could not believe how bad this game was. Expand
  86. Oct 20, 2010
    It's a decent shooter with some good moments, but the story is very clichéd. Unless you bought it for the MP, it's not worth the price tag for a new game.
  87. Apr 19, 2011
    This game was alright, but ultimately disappointing in terms of story and characters. You don't really "feel" the struggle and ultimate doom of Reach as the game skips around into smallish missions. You think if you were really a Spartan, you'd be on constant valuable mission after another. If the game had twice as many levels and was longer, that would be more like it. Multiplayer is ok,This game was alright, but ultimately disappointing in terms of story and characters. You don't really "feel" the struggle and ultimate doom of Reach as the game skips around into smallish missions. You think if you were really a Spartan, you'd be on constant valuable mission after another. If the game had twice as many levels and was longer, that would be more like it. Multiplayer is ok, but the grind to get the rank achievements was frustrating as I had to keep playing the game far after I didn't want to anymore. This is why some achievements suck. Expand
  88. Oct 22, 2010
    If you played halo, halo 2 and halo 3 then you have already played halo reach. It is a bit like listening to the greatest hits of status quo - the same pattern over and over and over again. Nothing really new. Same level design, same guns, same bad guys etc etc. If you haven't played halo, halo 2 or halo 3 then this game is great!
  89. Oct 25, 2010
    Oddly feels like a step backwards. Sure there is more content than Halo 3 and ODST, but it doesn't feel as well made in the multiplayer area. Setting that aside for now, the campaign is probably my favorite since Halo: CE. Firefight is pretty fun though it got old relatively fast for me. Back to the competitive multiplayer, I have a few problems with it. For one, the maps are justOddly feels like a step backwards. Sure there is more content than Halo 3 and ODST, but it doesn't feel as well made in the multiplayer area. Setting that aside for now, the campaign is probably my favorite since Halo: CE. Firefight is pretty fun though it got old relatively fast for me. Back to the competitive multiplayer, I have a few problems with it. For one, the maps are just horrible, there's no other way to twist it, they even managed to turn Blood Gulch into an often unbalanced map. The spawns are atrocious on most maps, contending with Modern Warfare 2 with some of the worst I've encountered, spawning on grenades, taking two steps and getting assassinated, the list goes on. The weapons, love some hate some. I never knew I liked the BR from past games until I picked up the DMR, not that it's much of a problem because they brought back the original pistol, which more than often outdoes the DMR. Sniping seems almost too easy, like the hit boxes are bigger than the should be, i really don't know. Most other weapons won't wow you, but you probably won't hate them either, I won't going into talking about all of them. Now, armor abilities, these can be super annoying or just... there. It seems like people on forums have called every armor ability from sprint, to drop shield, jet pack, and armorlock noobish. I won't delve far into my own opinion on the matter but will say this is the main deal breaker for me. Not to mention the mere fact that people have called every ability but roll, noobish, shows that it was just a bad idea to implement them. I wouldn't call them noobish, but each does give you a cheap way to kill or avoid death. All the joys of splattering and sticking are gone with the chance someone could have armorlock, sprinting with the sword is viewed as a cheap tactic, dealing with cloakers is plain annoying. It really does just cause problems, but I feel for people looking for a more casual multiplayer it could be enjoyable, but I've gone back to Halo 3 already. In all honestly I call it a renter, you can blow through campaign in not too long, but if you end up liking the multiplayer, buy it. Expand
  90. Mar 3, 2011
    Very very good game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely deserves a 0! Here's an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU LIKED THISVery very good game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Definitely deserves a 0! Here's an idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF YOU LIKED THIS GAME............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ YOU'LL LOVE HALO 1, BECAUSE ITS THE SAME GAME WITH A MUCH WORSE STORYYY!!! Expand
  91. Oct 27, 2010
    Halo: Reach is a fantastic package, with several core components that on their own can outclass many other games. The campaign is excellent, backed by solid storytelling and a powerful audio-visual experience. The competitive multiplayer is familiar, yet brand new with a lot more options and a faster pacing. And the cooperative Firefight arcade mode has finally met its potential. WhetherHalo: Reach is a fantastic package, with several core components that on their own can outclass many other games. The campaign is excellent, backed by solid storytelling and a powerful audio-visual experience. The competitive multiplayer is familiar, yet brand new with a lot more options and a faster pacing. And the cooperative Firefight arcade mode has finally met its potential. Whether you like playing with friends like me or you're more of a lone wolf, Halo: Reach has evolved to the point where it'll make everyone happy. It's a fitting end to Bungie's involvement with the franchise, one that both references the past and injects new life into a tried and true formula. Newcomers and Halo fans alike will find plenty to love in Halo: Reach. Even if you've grown tired of the Halo formula through the years, I'd still recommend this game to you. It's just that good. Expand
  92. Oct 28, 2010
    Halo: Reach was like beating a dead horse, but then the horse reared up and turned into Optimus Prime, then fell apart into a heap of metal. Disappointing beginning, strong middle and an ending which didn't seem worthy of the incredible things that the SPARTAN soldiers accomplish during the series. Rent.
  93. Nov 18, 2010
    Halo: Reach campaign is amazing! You can customize your character and use it in the campaign, a good detail. The story was awesome, i was so into the campaign, and the campaign is the best thing about the game.
    The multiplayer SUCK, the new abilities are okay but the armor ruins the game, its overpowered. You can sprint 5 seconds, which is okay, you can jump 2 times with evade, drop shield is a bit underpowered. Jetpack is okay, you can fly high with it, which is okay. But the armorlock is so owerpowered, the shield blocks sticky grenades, so freakin' stupid! You can shoot the shield of, it drops your shield if your close, and yeah OVERPOWERED!
    Halo 3 is amazing, BR was so freakin good, but DMR, meeeh.
    A lot of new weapons which is awesome, but still its crappy online. To many noobish armor locks.
    IM SO MAD!
  94. Nov 19, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. BIGGEST disappointment of the year 2010!! Single player story sucks, you have to attack somewhere then protect same place, the later attack again, and yet again protect it..!! what's the point ?? and multiplayer is same **** as always!! Expand
  95. Nov 24, 2010
    This game is an art masterpiece that should be bought by all xbox owners alike.Everyone who thinks otherwise sucks, because he/she is most likely a jealous ps3 fanboy who wants to deprive you of the ultimate gaming experience you will ever have in your life and therefore has no other option than to troll or kill himself because she/he FAILS at Life.
  96. Nov 24, 2010
    I love this game. It's the Halo ive been waiting for. I liked the plot, especially the set pieces, and the multiplayer is awesome. Forge and Firefight are pro and the entire system has been changed for the better.
  97. Oct 2, 2011
    Pretty basic halo game. All I noticed were textures, improved drama, improved game mechanics, nothing much else.
    I think this game is just out their for money, I know the point of making games is money but with so many halo titles as it is I am feeling nothing special for halo games any more. Besides the upcoming Halo anniversary.
  98. Nov 28, 2010
    I think that Halo reach deserves a 6 because, although the graphics are fantastic compared to Halo 3 or Halo 3 ODST, I think the story is a bit dull. The ability to explore huge maps within the campain like on the mission "winter contingency" is great, but I prefer to get straight to the fight, rather than get lost in the map. I agree that it is a must buy, and is a challenging game onI think that Halo reach deserves a 6 because, although the graphics are fantastic compared to Halo 3 or Halo 3 ODST, I think the story is a bit dull. The ability to explore huge maps within the campain like on the mission "winter contingency" is great, but I prefer to get straight to the fight, rather than get lost in the map. I agree that it is a must buy, and is a challenging game on heroic, but I found that unless you pay a lot of attention to what their saying, I kind of forgot and it's easy to lose track of things.
    So when I played it later I listened closely, but in doing that I was paying attention and wasn't affected by the fighting part of the game. I just waited for someone to say something, getting me killed at some stage.
    Multiplayer and forge are very impressive, with the ability to bond parts in forge (which I think most of the Halo 3 fans have had to do the hard way for 3 years!) it has become easier than ever before, but if there was one thing negative I had to say about forge is that it's nowhere near as fun as Halo 3. Yes, you can now build almost anything imaginable with the best Halo graphics ever, but the only map that you can do that on is a little bit too big and too many open areas. Halo 3 maps like "Sandbox" and "Standoff" were what I think were the best that maps could get, they were just the right size and had cliffs as death barriers resulting in the most epic multiplayer matches.
    If you haven't bought Reach yet then look forward to:
    Graphics
    Multiplayer (If with XBOX Live)
    Characters
    Overall I think that Halo Reach is a brilliant game that has had a lot of time put into it and the story is fantastic but it's just not fun. With Halo 3, I always go back to my favorite missions and maps, but with Reach I completed it, went on forge, and then played it a week later, unlike Halo 3 when it was played every day of the week in my spare time. And thats why I gave it a 6. But it still is a must buy.

1. Jan 18, 2011
    If you loved all the other Halo games, there's little I can say to dissuade you from purchasing Bungie's last creation in the Halo series.
  2. Jan 15, 2011
    Halo: Reach is not a breakthrough, yet it's a clear showcase of Bungie's creative growth. The game is hardly a "must buy" – its single-player campaign is way too short and uneven in quality, while multiplayer has very little room for expansion besides map packs and useless character decorations. But with that said, Reach is worthy of your attention for a couple of evenings.
  3. Games Master UK
    Dec 25, 2010
    Almost achieves the impossible and fulfills the hype. Among the best shooters ever created. [Issue#231, p.82]