7.8

1. Sep 14, 2010
    This game is absolutely amazing just like every other Halo in the series (except Halo 3: ODST which was good but wasn't great). The muliplayer is so well done, Firefight is greatly improved, Forge is also vastly improved and the campaign is just awesome as well. Bungie provided us with many years (almost 10 years) of great Halo games and the last game (Halo Reach) does not disappoint.
  2. DME
    Mar 27, 2011
    Epic Campain, extremely balanced multiplayer, incredibly deep Forge Mode (even though it is difficult to use), lots of customization for private and offline matches. The only problem I have is that there is hardly anything to buy with the credits you earn besides armor. Reach is awesome fun with friends and decent when alone.
  3. Sep 18, 2010
    My opinion best multi player game out there, campaign is not quite up as high up but the story is great considering you probably know how it ends,armor customization probably one of the best features, only con for me is that this game will lower your grades in school, yes you will put off your work/schoolwork to play Halo Reach.
  4. Sep 20, 2010
    Halo: reach is easily the best game yet in the Halo series. Previous Halo games could not stand up very well in the graphics department, but Reach is a graphical powerhouse, with incredible detail in textures and phenomenal weapon effects. The audio work is brilliant and the gameplay is more fluid than ever. This is Halo's best single player campaign yet, and the multiplayer is soHalo: reach is easily the best game yet in the Halo series. Previous Halo games could not stand up very well in the graphics department, but Reach is a graphical powerhouse, with incredible detail in textures and phenomenal weapon effects. The audio work is brilliant and the gameplay is more fluid than ever. This is Halo's best single player campaign yet, and the multiplayer is so feature-rich, it should last you for years.

This is the ultimate Halo game, and a true contender for Game of the Year 2010.
  5. Sep 16, 2010
    Amazing Game. Lived up to all the hype. The campaign is short but sweet full of amazing moments. Firefight is a lot better than it was in ODST, with matchmaking now. Forge World is stunning and powerful, letting you create your own maps with ease. And the Online is the greatest multiplayer feature in any game ever made.
  6. Sep 23, 2010
    Halo Reach is the best game in the Halo series to date. There is so much to do and see in this game it is overwhelming. A must buy for anyone with an Xbox 360!
  7. Dec 3, 2010
    This is the perfect Halo game. The campaign is dark and fantastic, multiplayer is as addicting as ever, and custom games and forge mode will keep creative gamers busy for months.
  8. Sep 14, 2010
    The best Halo yet, hands down. Intense Campaign, great multiplayer and community support, infinitely improved forge and firefight. If you are a Halo fan or love solid gameplay then you will love this game.
  9. Sep 21, 2010
    Now i am a halo fanboy and for 6 years i have thought that halo 1 is the best in the series. Reach topped that and it is now my favorite game of all time. Campaign is only 6-8 hours but thats just a small part of the game. Multiplayer is fun as hell with over about 20 game modes. It's got firefight that is like horde from gears. Online 4 people can play the campaign together. It's myNow i am a halo fanboy and for 6 years i have thought that halo 1 is the best in the series. Reach topped that and it is now my favorite game of all time. Campaign is only 6-8 hours but thats just a small part of the game. Multiplayer is fun as hell with over about 20 game modes. It's got firefight that is like horde from gears. Online 4 people can play the campaign together. It's my favorite game of all time and i've bought every halo that's ever came out. I give it a 10. Expand
  10. Sep 15, 2010
    This is the best Halo game yet. That being said, if you don't like Halo games, you probably won't like this one. The gameplay is very open, there's very little "corridor shooting" like some other shooters (including earlier Halo titles). The graphics are expansive and detailed at the same time. There's a lot of detail, and the up-close details are very nuanced. The online is absolutelyThis is the best Halo game yet. That being said, if you don't like Halo games, you probably won't like this one. The gameplay is very open, there's very little "corridor shooting" like some other shooters (including earlier Halo titles). The graphics are expansive and detailed at the same time. There's a lot of detail, and the up-close details are very nuanced. The online is absolutely packed; even if you don't usually like playing with foul-mouthed little ten-year olds (which is common), you can probably find some good co-op online. My only gripe is the audio track - there's no way to tone down the music volume (or turn it off), I know Bungie is in love with their musical scores (and in fairness it's really good), but I generally like to play with the dialogue and action volume up and the music score turned down. Overall, I'm really liking this Halo. Expand
  11. Sep 15, 2010
    If your looking for depth you can find it in Reach. You won't find a game like this for the ps3 or the wii. The campaign couldn't be more perfect (unless it just came out and said at the end that there is going to be Halo 4) the multi-player is spotless and the worlds are beautiful. This game would have been your daddy but a dog beat it over the fence.
  12. Nov 20, 2010
    Halo being one of the most famous games out there as it defined the fps genre and the sci-fi one. The single player is simple with a decent story filling in some gaps and making you feel like you are an actual part of the game plus it can be played in co-op as well, the single player will only last you a day or two with challenges making you come back now and again it is really fun with aHalo being one of the most famous games out there as it defined the fps genre and the sci-fi one. The single player is simple with a decent story filling in some gaps and making you feel like you are an actual part of the game plus it can be played in co-op as well, the single player will only last you a day or two with challenges making you come back now and again it is really fun with a bit of variety but nothing majorly new 8/10.

Multiplayer, well it has been revamped completely with the addition of the new armour abilities that make an impact on the battlefield, the game modes however have stayed relatively the same with the exception of the new playlist arena which is Reach's take on MLG. Overall the credit system and ranking up will keep you entertained with the multiplayer for hours on end, the credit system is Reach's currency you use it ti buy things uch as new armour or armour effects and with the challenges which are updated daily and weekly will keep you playing more and more of the game it will even get you playing modes that you don't normally play.

Forge, a welcome return back to the Halo universe with the community already teaming with spectacular inventions that are available to view and download via the file share community. The tools are a lot more professional allowing you to do a lot of crazy things and build some really good maps and with the addition of Forge World you can go in with friends build and have a laugh with this massive map 9/10.

Graphics have changed drastically showing off a more realistic and retro styled Halo which fits seeing as it is a prequel, the sound is good and the face cap is brilliant along with the environment graphics, Reach is the one of the few games I have seen where they have captured dropping rain so perfectly 10/10
  13. Sep 19, 2010
    Halo Reach did everything that past halo games did not do right and then some. An excellent story, fun campaign, great multiplayer, and tons of features. This game is one of the best shooters that i have played if not the best. The multiplayer has so many more modes and features. This includes invasion, headhunter, and generator defense. This is a perfect game. I have nothing negative toHalo Reach did everything that past halo games did not do right and then some. An excellent story, fun campaign, great multiplayer, and tons of features. This game is one of the best shooters that i have played if not the best. The multiplayer has so many more modes and features. This includes invasion, headhunter, and generator defense. This is a perfect game. I have nothing negative to say about it and it completely deserves a 10/10. Expand
  14. Nov 2, 2010
    this game is an absolute must have! everything that was wrong with it HAS NOW BEEN FIXED!!! it really shines in its multiplayer. the new weapons are great. i especially like the new battle rifle. one thing that has been fixed that me and many others have complained about is the amount shots it takes to kill a person. Bungie made it a lot easier to kill someone and it has the game a wholethis game is an absolute must have! everything that was wrong with it HAS NOW BEEN FIXED!!! it really shines in its multiplayer. the new weapons are great. i especially like the new battle rifle. one thing that has been fixed that me and many others have complained about is the amount shots it takes to kill a person. Bungie made it a lot easier to kill someone and it has the game a whole lot more fun. if you do not get game you will miss out on the best and the last Halo game that Bungie Is making. Expand
  15. Sep 27, 2010
    I've played all the Halo's going back to the original on the XBOX. This is the best Halo, it looks better, it plays better, it has more options, more features, more everything. Now, as far as campaign goes, let's face it, Halo CE is unbeatable, its like a new Star Wars movie trying to beat the original Star Wars...CAN'T BE DONE! It's a classic for a reason. Still, this campaign is a funI've played all the Halo's going back to the original on the XBOX. This is the best Halo, it looks better, it plays better, it has more options, more features, more everything. Now, as far as campaign goes, let's face it, Halo CE is unbeatable, its like a new Star Wars movie trying to beat the original Star Wars...CAN'T BE DONE! It's a classic for a reason. Still, this campaign is a fun one.

Obviously there is significant amount of those who post reviews just to hate on a game, you'd be wise to ignore them. I find very little merit to most of their arguments, none that even bear repeating.

The only thing missing is all my friends who grew up and don't play video games any more...we would have had a lot of fun LAN partying this game. As it is online is great. Too bad the online community of games is so ruthless in their language. I simply have mute set as the default and only use party chat with friends. While this hurts teamwork...if you are a person of normal maturity level, you'd be wise to do the same. The other annoying thing online is players who are not there to play the game, just there to be "tools" and/or quit in the middle of a game. I can't really blame the game makers for this, its just something to be aware of that could negatively impact your online experience.
  16. May 11, 2011
    The game is certainly a Halo game which is both good and bad. Bad in the sense that the gameplay mechanics definitely feel very dated - it almost feels like an old-school FPS game. Good thing is, it's probably the best old-school style FPS game you can find. The story is lacking. I found it better on the second play through on legendary but I read a lot of the Halo lore after my firstThe game is certainly a Halo game which is both good and bad. Bad in the sense that the gameplay mechanics definitely feel very dated - it almost feels like an old-school FPS game. Good thing is, it's probably the best old-school style FPS game you can find. The story is lacking. I found it better on the second play through on legendary but I read a lot of the Halo lore after my first completion, which I supposed drew me into the world more so than the actual game did. Really, it's just follow the mission objectives without any real character development or drama. Many other FPS games have a better story. The graphics at times are very nice but often there's a ghosting or frame rate problem. It's a shame to say that you just get used to them, notwithstanding, the textures are great and there's some beautiful vistas - I just wish it ran better. The old excuse that "it like a sand box" fail, because the actual fighting areas don't seem much larger than most other games. It's either bungie or 360, but it's not a very smooth looking game. The MP also feels very dated, especially considering - with the exception of big team battle - most games are only 8 people. But strangely I can't stop playing the game, it's very addictive in its simplicity. I own Halo 1, 2 and 3; after 3 I thought I was finished with the Halo series because that game was terrible on every level but Reach is a very very good game. It's not game of the year, but if you love shooters and can stand a great old-school style FPS game Reach will give you your money's worth. I know I've said a lot of negative things about Reach, yet gave it a 9. The reason being is that I love playing it and I don't know why. The MP is so basic compared to my fav BFBC2 and even MW2 but running around trying to headshot people currently is dam fun. Oh, and jetpacks are a must for all FPS games from now on, there's so much potential for proper platforming. EDIT: Changed review from 9/10 to 10/10. I've played and loved the campaign 4 times over and logged many hours into MP now. This game is the piece de resistance of the Halo series. Expand
  17. Oct 22, 2010
    Let me ask you this: what other first person shooter gives you a near infinite number of ways to enjoy the game? Not many that arent for PC. Halo has always been full of content and Reach does not differ. Better graphics and pysics than previous halos what more can you ask for? The people who dixlike the game are COD fanboys or have never REALLY played the game. Those of you who don't wantLet me ask you this: what other first person shooter gives you a near infinite number of ways to enjoy the game? Not many that arent for PC. Halo has always been full of content and Reach does not differ. Better graphics and pysics than previous halos what more can you ask for? The people who dixlike the game are COD fanboys or have never REALLY played the game. Those of you who don't want to be characterised as nerds and stay away from the game are just hypocrits because halo is actually much more realistic than COD because it is logical; shields and bioengineering explain why sometimes more than a few bullets will kill you, can COD explain this no its just instant nube tube kills and entire clips waisted into near invincible normal human beings. Reach is easily multiplayer game of the year so far. Expand
  18. Nov 14, 2010
    Im rating this game a solid ten since it desErves it the game is very well polished halo at its best right from the scenery to mp and to all of the people who slam the game and say it is generic old nothing new come on. What is their really new these days all it is with north Americans now is ur freaking graphics and how easy it is to beat the game and shoot somebody on mp learn how to beIm rating this game a solid ten since it desErves it the game is very well polished halo at its best right from the scenery to mp and to all of the people who slam the game and say it is generic old nothing new come on. What is their really new these days all it is with north Americans now is ur freaking graphics and how easy it is to beat the game and shoot somebody on mp learn how to be what is a true gamer and enjoy not only that for such i highly anticipated game its not FREAKING OVER PRICED ..... COD Expand
  19. Sep 16, 2010
    This is the best game ever! It has everything, campaign, campaign matchmaking, firefight with TONS of customizations, super incredible forge 2.0, super fun and addictive online, custom games, theatre, new weapons, new game types, new vehicles, armory, credits, challenges, awesome file browser, amazing stuff on bungie.net, commendations, new medals, loadouts, armor abilities, epicThis is the best game ever! It has everything, campaign, campaign matchmaking, firefight with TONS of customizations, super incredible forge 2.0, super fun and addictive online, custom games, theatre, new weapons, new game types, new vehicles, armory, credits, challenges, awesome file browser, amazing stuff on bungie.net, commendations, new medals, loadouts, armor abilities, epic cinematics, new enemies, active roster, arena, firefight matchmaking and versus and MORE!!!! Expand
  20. Sep 16, 2010
    Best FPS I've ever played, end of story.

The individual elements (Forge, MM, Firefight, Campaign, Theatre etc) are NOT the best that have been done, but their combined offerings (Which are unheard of in the gaming market) and the incredible balance, fun, and thoughtfulness put into the game make it a contender for the best game ever made for the 360, PS3, or Wii. The only reason it has
    Best FPS I've ever played, end of story.

The only reason it has a 6.9 here is because of the pathetic CoD and PS3 fanboys that can't admit that Reach is a fantastic game, but they simply can't/won't get it because of limitations or principle.

People accuse it of being the exact same thing as the last game, meanwhile in God of War or Call of Duty, Killzone etc the Multiplayer (If applicable) and campaign gets no improvement, and gets simpler.
    Halo Reach innovates and expands upon the other Halos and should be purchased as soon as you have the money.
  21. Sep 14, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic!!! the Halo franchise breath with a new entertainment style!!! The solo campaign has a stronge story!!! And the multiplayer... Is amazing how always to be!!! Expand
  22. Sep 14, 2010
    This game delivered on every front. From the intense single player campaign stuffed with variety to the excellent voice acting, story and sound effects Halo:Reach is an absolute must buy for every Xbox360 owner. It is so rich in content that it can easily race for the top spot among the other heavy weapons in the genre. Although the graphics look quite good they are not on a Gears of WarThis game delivered on every front. From the intense single player campaign stuffed with variety to the excellent voice acting, story and sound effects Halo:Reach is an absolute must buy for every Xbox360 owner. It is so rich in content that it can easily race for the top spot among the other heavy weapons in the genre. Although the graphics look quite good they are not on a Gears of War or Bad Company 2 level but they still look very convincing and that improvements are visible. I haven't really had time to dug into the multiplayer part of the game but seeing a lot of official review we can say that Halo: Reach is one of the most rich FPS when it comes to its content. All together if you are an Xbox owner, fond of FPS, have 60 bucks or a fan of the series pick this up! U won't regret it, because Bungie really kept its promise and finished the series with a BANG. Now its only up to Microsoft not to screw it up in the future. Expand
  23. Sep 14, 2010
    Okay, fail fail fail, I got it this time:

Okay, fail fail fail, I got it this time:

This game is possibly the best in the Halo series, and as a huge fan of all the games (except Halo Wars, and of course that wasn't by Bungie) that is something I don't say lightly. People like duster15670 who don't recognize a good game when they see one are going to bash this game, mostly due to the mountain of crappy titles (modern warfare 2, anybody?) out there now that are so popular.
  24. Sep 14, 2010
    Best halo ever. awesome single player awesome multiplayer firefight forge and theater awesome. The score is epic and bungie's final halo game delivers
  25. Sep 14, 2010
    Halo is the best multiplayer game ever made and thats a fact .. Halo : Reach give Halo series new dimension . But im very sad because this is the last Halo game , one of best game franchise ever made ! See you on XBL !
  26. Sep 14, 2010
    This game is bloody amazing, it's such a huge improvement from halo 3 in every way. Better game mechanics, less balance issues, improved forge and firefight, campaign and firefight matchmaking support. You need to buy this if you haven't already.
  27. Sep 14, 2010
    Fun,exiting gameplay, great story, do I need to say more?

"Your review must be at least 150 characters long." That means i need..
    spectacular new multiplayer(!) I'ts just fun to bring death to covenant!!!!
    9,4
  28. Sep 16, 2010
    This game is amazingly fun and I haven't even tried Forge World Yet! I don't see why people keep putting zeros in for a score. It is a solid game with good game play so please write legitimate reviews! I am going to be playing this game for months ahead so I think it deserves a 10/10.
  29. AA7
    Sep 14, 2010
    This is one of the best games ever made. I'm sorry COD, but I have found a game that has finally replaced you as the absolute best shooter out there. Halo 3 was good, but this game is, without exaggeration, the best game of the current generation. All hail the mighty Halo Reach.
  30. Sep 14, 2010
    Reach is the best Halo game ever made. Every mode has been improved upon and is awesome. Firefight is a ton of fun, the campaign is great, forge world is amazing. Graphics, while better than Halo 3, still are not up to par with games like Mass Effect or Gears. But thats the only negative and its not a big one at that
  31. Sep 14, 2010
    Bottom line is that this game is well worth the investment. You will get far more than $60 worth of entertainment from this successor to Halo 3, far more than Halo ODST.
  32. Sep 14, 2010
    Awesome graphics. Awesome gameplay. Awesome campaign. Awesome multiplayer. Awesome co-op. Awesome character customization. Awesome features like forge and theater mode. Awesome game, nuff' said.
  33. Sep 14, 2010
    Don't let anyone fool you the game is awesome! The best game in the series by far. Gameplay is different and that's a good thing, not that it was bad before but I just thought Halo 3's gameplay was just OK. Halo Reach's environments are masterpieces and the new maps feel more alive and not as dull, when I would play Halo 3 the maps were just so lifeless that if it weren't for the gameDon't let anyone fool you the game is awesome! The best game in the series by far. Gameplay is different and that's a good thing, not that it was bad before but I just thought Halo 3's gameplay was just OK. Halo Reach's environments are masterpieces and the new maps feel more alive and not as dull, when I would play Halo 3 the maps were just so lifeless that if it weren't for the game being so fun I wouldn't have played it half as much as I would if the maps were like Reach's. Don't listen to the other people, I mean why would you when half are saying that they don't like Reach because it feels too much like the other Halos and it didn't change much AND the other half are saying that they don't like Reach because it changed too much and doesn't feel like Halo should. Some others are saying the graphics aren't good, if you compare them to Halo 3 they're a masterpiece, but if you compare them to another game that has top notch graphics because that's all the developer cares about then it's going to look about average (IMO a little higher than average). So go out and buy this game you'll never look back. Expand
  34. Sep 14, 2010
    Halo Reach is the best game I have ever played, absolutely all around amazing experience. There is just so much to do in this game, you will never get bored. Get it and you won't be disappointed.

BTW. All those people who gave it negative or a 0 they are just ps3 fanboys who just hate halo because its xbox exclusive. If you notice not one reviewer gave it even mixed, so something is clearly wrong with those people who gave it negative.
  35. Sep 14, 2010
    A superb extremely solid game on all fronts. The fact is there has yet to be another console FPS that contains this much content and executes it so soundly. The single-player alone, while facing criticisms from certain reviewers infinitely better than nearly all other FPS single-player modes, and as for the multi-player well its Halo enough said...this game is undoubtedly deserving of aA superb extremely solid game on all fronts. The fact is there has yet to be another console FPS that contains this much content and executes it so soundly. The single-player alone, while facing criticisms from certain reviewers infinitely better than nearly all other FPS single-player modes, and as for the multi-player well its Halo enough said...this game is undoubtedly deserving of a 9.5 or 10. Expand
  36. Sep 14, 2010
    You know I find it hilarious, but at the same time saddening that there are people on this site that are so childish and pathetic. I come here, and see people giving 0/10. Why? No matter how bad a game is, how on Earth could it get 0/10?
    I see people here saying ridiculous things such as, â
  37. Sep 14, 2010
    I have to say that the wait was worth it. Me and my friend Timothy was in line for hours, and our time could not have been spent better.

Halo: Reach is the best Halo game so far. I missed the birth of my grandson for the campaign. It took me about eleven hours to beat it on heroic by myself. It was really epic. My favorite part is near the end, the last four or five levels. I was totally

My favorite part is near the end, the last four or five levels. I was totally hooked the entire time.

I haven't really had the chance to okay MM, but I know that the multi-player will be awesome. Forge is the best, unlimited customization. Armor abilities are awesome.

My bfriend Taylor Kimbull is playing the campaign with me on legendary, and we are not even on the third level yet. So hard!
  38. Sep 14, 2010
    Halo: Reach is by far one of the greatest Halo games, right up there with CE. Although the campaign wasn't as long as I hoped it would be, but I'm sure Legendary on solo will easily fix that. Another small complaint that I have is that the AI seems a bit more stupid and clumsy when it comes to firing, but their driving skills have definitely improved over Halo 3. The multiplayer and forgeHalo: Reach is by far one of the greatest Halo games, right up there with CE. Although the campaign wasn't as long as I hoped it would be, but I'm sure Legendary on solo will easily fix that. Another small complaint that I have is that the AI seems a bit more stupid and clumsy when it comes to firing, but their driving skills have definitely improved over Halo 3. The multiplayer and forge is what really stands out though. The amount of customization in both is insane, firefight kicks ass too. Don't listen to those idiotic CoD fanboys that are rating this game 0's and 5's, this game is amazing. Expand
  39. Sep 14, 2010
    Amazing! This game has it all. I have never owned a game where I have gotten so much bang for my buck. Campaign. Co-op Campaign. Firefight. Competitive Multiplayer. Custom games. Forge. Saved Films and screenshots. And it matchmaking is supported for all of this. Not to mention the gameplay is the best it has ever been in a Halo game. Armour Abilities are freakin awesome. The weapons areAmazing! This game has it all. I have never owned a game where I have gotten so much bang for my buck. Campaign. Co-op Campaign. Firefight. Competitive Multiplayer. Custom games. Forge. Saved Films and screenshots. And it matchmaking is supported for all of this. Not to mention the gameplay is the best it has ever been in a Halo game. Armour Abilities are freakin awesome. The weapons are very balanced. The graphics are great.. and the game is just damn fun. Oh yeah also the menu system is extremley fresh and innovative as it always keeps you party together no matter what you doing. The amount of detailed online matchmaking settings is also mind blowing. Buy this game. It owns. I just wish it had a few more immersive gameplay mechanics like brink and mirrors edge, where you can interact with the environment. The frame rate can always be a bit choppy at times. But overall you really can't be Halo Reach. Expand
  40. Sep 14, 2010
    I've played both Call of Duty and the Halo series as a fan. If i had to make a call it would be Halo Reach.
    I can see how the 0-Review Score reflecks the learning curve of the multi-player that COD-Players can't process.
    I'd put my money on a Halo player over a Cod player any day.
    This is what the fan's wanted and Bungie more than delivered.
  41. Sep 14, 2010
    i feel as though they said "hey, last halo game? lets just take everything thats great from halo 1-3 and odst and make it better!" and it WORKED! no new modes to see thats different from halo 3, (except for firefight) but they improve the general formula for all of the modes, making everything super customizable. solid game, solid engine, solid EVERYTHING! A must own, for any type ofi feel as though they said "hey, last halo game? lets just take everything thats great from halo 1-3 and odst and make it better!" and it WORKED! no new modes to see thats different from halo 3, (except for firefight) but they improve the general formula for all of the modes, making everything super customizable. solid game, solid engine, solid EVERYTHING! A must own, for any type of gamer, you will fall in Expand
  42. Sep 15, 2010
    first halo reach sold out over 3 millions on first day ,second he break the most player playing this game simultaneously 4 million people. buy and enjoy best multilayer experience When talking about a series as influential and beloved as Halo, youâ
  43. Sep 14, 2010
    It's too easy to pick out those jealous ps3 fanboys who wanna bring this impeccable game down. Can't we all see the critics collectively it's the best halo of the franchise and the unbelievaly rich content has exceedingly justified the price
  44. Oct 7, 2010
    I'm a huge Halo fan, but none of the previous Halo games were never as good as Halo: Combat Evolved, but Halo: Reach is not only as good as Halo: Combat Evolved, it 's the best Halo game ever made! The game completely excelled my expectations on every level. First off the Campaign and story, the Campaign is much more fun than the rest of the series. The ally AI is better at combat, but notI'm a huge Halo fan, but none of the previous Halo games were never as good as Halo: Combat Evolved, but Halo: Reach is not only as good as Halo: Combat Evolved, it 's the best Halo game ever made! The game completely excelled my expectations on every level. First off the Campaign and story, the Campaign is much more fun than the rest of the series. The ally AI is better at combat, but not that great at driving. The Covenant AI is so much better, especially bringing the Elites back as the main enemy was the perfect idea that makes the Covenant terrifying aliens again. Now the story, which I find to be the strongest Halo story to date, it's also the easiest to follow since the original. You play as Noble Six, the newest member of an elite team of Spartans named Noble Team who are sent to investigate a disturbance at a relay outpost where local Insurrectionists are suspected. Noble Team then discovers that the Covenant are on Reach. The games begins as a few small skirmishes to full out war. I loved the sense of desperation and hope, and tragedy, no matter what happens, you know the plant will fall. The characters are outstanding and the dialogue is spot on. Now the rest of the game is just as good. Firefight, which was introduced back in Halo 3: ODST which you and 4 other players would fight against waves of Covenant. Now in Halo: Reach, Firefight has Matchmaking and custom options, which allows you make Firefight in your own way. Now Multiplayer, is the best Halo multiplayer to date. The custom games have so many more options than Halo 3. Now Forge, which was introduced in Halo 3 allowed you to make your own maps, now in Halo: Reach Forge is so much better than Halo 3's Forge. The best map to use Forge if Forge World, which is a massive map where you can make any map you want. Halo: Reach is not only a prequel to the 1st Halo, Bungie takes the best of all the past Halo games, and puts them in Halo: Reach. Overall this game has not let me at all. This is the perfect way for Bungie to say goodbye to the Halo franchise. Expand
  45. Sep 15, 2010
    Most of these reviews, you have to realize that they are PS3 fanboys and are trying to rate down one of the best games. As you can see most of their names are "Killzone3" and they rate up PS3 games, and this is their only Xbox 360 review, because that fact is that they don't own one, and are jealous that they can't play Halo 3. Now back to the review. Halo Reach..............where do IMost of these reviews, you have to realize that they are PS3 fanboys and are trying to rate down one of the best games. As you can see most of their names are "Killzone3" and they rate up PS3 games, and this is their only Xbox 360 review, because that fact is that they don't own one, and are jealous that they can't play Halo 3. Now back to the review. Halo Reach..............where do I start. First of all it has the best graphics in a Halo game that there ever has been. Second of all, it has one of the best full, and meaty multiplayer that there ever was in an Halo game. The multiplayer in Reach even rivals other top games like Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2. The campaign is also good, even though it is not the best in the series, but can be an absolute blast in coop with your friends. Overall this is one of the best Halo games to reach the market today. I highly recommend you ignore those PS3 fanboy trolls and get this game today. Expand
  46. Sep 15, 2010
    Probably? it is the perfect Halo and that's a great thing unless your a fanboy making reviews of games you have never played. Halo Reach takes everything you loved about other Halo games and puts it all into one game and then adds some. This game is hands down the best Halo to date scratch that the best FPS to date, that alone makes these anti Xbox/Halo people burn inside like Hynda he'sProbably? it is the perfect Halo and that's a great thing unless your a fanboy making reviews of games you have never played. Halo Reach takes everything you loved about other Halo games and puts it all into one game and then adds some. This game is hands down the best Halo to date scratch that the best FPS to date, that alone makes these anti Xbox/Halo people burn inside like Hynda he's just mad because Metroid other M flopped look he rated that game a 10 lol. Anyway Halo Reach is a masterpiece of a game but you all knew that already hence why it's set to outsell every PS3 exclusive by the first week lol. Expand
  47. Sep 15, 2010
    While there are alot of new options, it still feels like the same Halo. Really did enjoy it but i know it won't get great for a couple of days. I know what im looking for is the community/Forge. I couldn't tell you how many times I spent all night playing mongoose racing, duck hunt and ghost busters and thats why I love Halo. The story is the weakest part of the game. It dosn't give youWhile there are alot of new options, it still feels like the same Halo. Really did enjoy it but i know it won't get great for a couple of days. I know what im looking for is the community/Forge. I couldn't tell you how many times I spent all night playing mongoose racing, duck hunt and ghost busters and thats why I love Halo. The story is the weakest part of the game. It dosn't give you the feeling of exploration when you first stepped on halo or give you any real varrying mission. also this game is NOT COD its not trying to be they can coexist so calm down Expand
  48. Sep 15, 2010
    Okay, first things first, if you're looking here at these reviews deciding for yourself whether or not to buy the game, then take if from me, don't listen to the idiots who are rating it under 5. I mean come on, have you really took note of their reviews. They're spelling things wrong, starting sentences with lower case letters, swearing and saying that the game could never get a 10 ratingOkay, first things first, if you're looking here at these reviews deciding for yourself whether or not to buy the game, then take if from me, don't listen to the idiots who are rating it under 5. I mean come on, have you really took note of their reviews. They're spelling things wrong, starting sentences with lower case letters, swearing and saying that the game could never get a 10 rating from someone who isn't a 'fanboy'. Are these really the people you want to listen to and base your answer on? No, I don't think so. That's why I'm here to do my best to give a fair review. Now I admit, I have been playing Halo since 2003, which automatically makes this game good to me. Why? Not because I'm a 'fanboy', but because experiencing something for that length of time makes you proud to be a part of it. But if I take that away from my review, Halo: Reach has the makings of one of the best FPS games of the early 2010s. It is a massive improvement on Halo 3 where many things have been added or modified, and, if I'm absolutely honest, not much had to be changed since Halo 3 worked pretty well as a game itself. The campaign was a fantastically well thought campaign, but it was one for the fans, someone like me will understand the true significance behind this game which some people can't seem to comprehend. As for the gameplay, it's smooth, running on a great engine with great capabilities. The graphics are a step higher than Halo 3, however at some points it did look a little bit too cartoony. I would say more but I would have to say spoilers and I know how bad it is when you read spoilers. As for the multiplayer, the matchmaking is not perfect: it is now much quicker, you get to vote for your preferred gametype and map, matchmaking itself has been advanced with the inclusion of armour abilities and other features. Again too much to talk about, and I haven't even started to mention the armoury! Do I sound like a fanboy yet? You probably think I do, but I am genuinely blown away by this game. Of course Firefight has returned bigger and better than in ODST, now with matchmaking support and now Forge it a map creators dream. Many ideas I had in Halo 3 can now easily become a reality. And there's much, much more to talk about, but you must be bored stiff by now. Really I'd give Reach a 9, but with so many low reviews, it deserves 10. As I say a lot, you have to give something a change. You can't play something for 10 minutes or even 5 hours sometimes and assume the game is bad, or good, depending. So for once, if you're about to write a bad review, actually give the game a good, solid chance. If your bad, you'll get better the more you play. Well Done Bungie! Expand
  49. Sep 15, 2010
    Do NOT listen to these call of duty( fan boys) there are just down grading the game... there just jealous because there game is not better... anyway Perfect story, sound, graphics, game-play, all in all 10
    But i still can not believe all this negatvitie from the last halo game in the series.
  50. Sep 15, 2010
    Hello. I have seen the other user reviews and I have to say I'm surprised. Halo Reach has to be the best Halo game to this date. Bungie left with an explosion of great multiplayer action, a great story to run through, and upgraded features like Forge and Theater. I consider this my favorite FPS, and games like Call of Duty MW2 cannot seem to match the unique style Halo: Reach offers. NowHello. I have seen the other user reviews and I have to say I'm surprised. Halo Reach has to be the best Halo game to this date. Bungie left with an explosion of great multiplayer action, a great story to run through, and upgraded features like Forge and Theater. I consider this my favorite FPS, and games like Call of Duty MW2 cannot seem to match the unique style Halo: Reach offers. Now its predecessor, Halo 3. Enhanced graphics all-around, better story, more features, and of course, better gameplay. This is the Halo I was expecting to play and love. Expand
  51. Sep 15, 2010
    Ignore the PS3 fanboys giving Reach low scores - from their reviews they've obviously never played it. I own a 360 and a PS3 and love both consoles, but I'm sick of this silliness. Reach is an excellent game in every respect - it is, arguably the best shooter currently available. It does do new stuff, such as jet packs, armour abilities (which are great) and the best space combat in anyIgnore the PS3 fanboys giving Reach low scores - from their reviews they've obviously never played it. I own a 360 and a PS3 and love both consoles, but I'm sick of this silliness. Reach is an excellent game in every respect - it is, arguably the best shooter currently available. It does do new stuff, such as jet packs, armour abilities (which are great) and the best space combat in any shooter thus far.Yes, the basic FPS mechanics are largely unchanged, but Bungie have shown the wisdom that so many other games companies lack - don't mess with perfection. The campaign is around 8 hours on Normal and considerably longer on other settings - shorter than Gears 2, but much longer and more varied than Killzone 2 (KZ2 took around 5 hours - an hour longer on Elite. And if you've played KZ2, try to remember an outstanding campaign moment - I dare you. No vehicles either.). The plot is straightforward but engaging rather than enthralling, but it's a video game, and I would argue that previous Halo games (except the first) have been guilty of over complicating the plot; at the end of the day it's just an excuse to shoot things. The campaign is also sufficiently engaging that, combined with some really well considered acheivements, replay is guaranteed at least once, probably twice. Graphically it kicks bottom too, which is a little surprising - I expected ODST with bells, but it is easily the prettiest shooter around at the moment. I haven't tried much multiplayer yet, but again, Bungie appear to have tweaked an already perfect formula - it continues to deliver one of the best multiplayer experiences available. Anyone who mentions CoD (great though it is) is clearly mental - Reach is nothing like CoD and very clearly isn't trying to be (try citing some evidence rather than silly random comments). As for it being the last Halo, it's Bungie's last Halo (for now anyway). Microsoft own Halo and have an internal division (343 industries) dedicated to Halo development, as well as recently launching Halo Waypoint. Reach also broke the record for the number of online players on XBox Live on it's release day. Yep - that sounds like a franchise coming to an end.. doh! Epic stuff. Expand
  52. Sep 15, 2010
    I lol'd at all the fanboys that don't have Halo: Reach or played it and they come rate it a 0. They should take off all of those fanboy ratings because I played this game and it is way better than it FPS on PS3 so all those fanboys that have no life just trashing a game they don't have need to go get a life. I have the game and it's good.
  53. Sep 15, 2010
    An incredible game almost reveloutionary, it has an elusive, captivating campaign although the story is slow at times, when you finally have satisfaction from that thereis the incredible firefight mode, for hours of fun, and then theres forge, incredible fun with infinite possibilities, and you still hav'nt done multiplayer yet, this is an incredible game and it is worth every penny.
  54. Sep 15, 2010
    This game is nothing short of amazing. It is easily the best halo ever taking the best parts of all the previous halos like the multiplayer from halo 2 and the firefight from ODST. Don't even read the reviews of the people who gave this game a 0 they are ps3 trolls I guarantee you as some say look at uncharted 2 and killzone because they are sad at the beast of a game reach is. The armorThis game is nothing short of amazing. It is easily the best halo ever taking the best parts of all the previous halos like the multiplayer from halo 2 and the firefight from ODST. Don't even read the reviews of the people who gave this game a 0 they are ps3 trolls I guarantee you as some say look at uncharted 2 and killzone because they are sad at the beast of a game reach is. The armor abilities are sick, addictive multiplayer cool customizable options and great graphics make up this game Expand
  55. Sep 15, 2010
    Okay, ps3 fanboys who give the game a zero because they played it for 20 minutes at a friend's house and already biased their opinions before the game even came out, please stop freakin' reviewing games you don't even own! You always point out how the users who give it a ten are raging xbox frat boy fanboys, yet you completely disregard the fact that your own fanboyism is blinding you fromOkay, ps3 fanboys who give the game a zero because they played it for 20 minutes at a friend's house and already biased their opinions before the game even came out, please stop freakin' reviewing games you don't even own! You always point out how the users who give it a ten are raging xbox frat boy fanboys, yet you completely disregard the fact that your own fanboyism is blinding you from telling apart a good game from a bad. And this is definitely a good game. People who come on this site read the reviews to see if they should buy the game, not to see some guy with a playstation and a hatred for anything that even is barely related to an xbox rant on how unoriginal the game is or how biased the fanboys are. I'm not giving this a ten because I've been waiting for it for a year. I'm not giving this a ten because I've played every halo game and I want this one to be the best. I'm not even giving it a ten to up the user score because of the retards who automatically give it a zero. I'm giving it a ten because it is the perfect halo experience, and it is fun as hell. Forget people saying the single player is 3 hours long (juuuust a little exaggerated), or people ripping on the multiplayer being unoriginal (I'm not even sure where the argument begins for that, it has barely any resemblance to CoD); you are going to be playing this game for a LONG time. A better Forge, an insanely improved firefight, an epic campaign (that doesn't overstay its welcome, fallout fans), a multiplayer setup that would last you a lifetime; you are getting more than enough of your money's worth with this package. Plus, seriously, are you going to take your advice on whether to get a 360 game or not from a guy named "killzone3"? (also that one guy who said to keep playing halo 3 instead of this, please never show your face in society ever again. If you even played 1 and 2 than you would definitely know that 3 was probably the worst of them all. I'll explain this simply: halo 1=strategy, halo 2=skill, halo 3=let's see how fast i can unload my gun) Expand
  56. Sep 15, 2010
    First off, if you didn't play the game don't rate it. People complain that it looks just like the last one, the graphics are terrible, blah blah blah. These people obviously haven't played the game at all. Also, people say the game has a 3-4 hour campaign. yeah, when you play on easy mode where it takes 10 enemies to damage you. On Heroic, the campaign is easily 10 hours or more, andFirst off, if you didn't play the game don't rate it. People complain that it looks just like the last one, the graphics are terrible, blah blah blah. These people obviously haven't played the game at all. Also, people say the game has a 3-4 hour campaign. yeah, when you play on easy mode where it takes 10 enemies to damage you. On Heroic, the campaign is easily 10 hours or more, and Legendary is even longer. The game is similar to halo 3, but at the same time it's its own game. The multiplayer experience is fresh with new gametypes, weapons, maps and vehicles. It plays much differently. Another thing: the forge is now much more streamlined and easy to use. the game was out for 24 hrs and i was impressed by the amazing maps that had already been created by the community. People say that it's like call of duty. The only similarities i can find are loadouts and the fact that it's an FPS, and the loadouts aren't even remotely similar to those in COD. If you are one of those whiny people that hate everything that has the word halo anywhere near it, then fine. Don't buy it, it's one less person the community has to listen to wine online. Sure, call me a fanboy if you want. Everything I've said here is the truth, stated as plainly as i can. I think right now the game is probably a 9.75. There are still a couple of server issues that need to be worked out, plus not all playlists are available yet. But this is Bungie's last hurrah, and i think that they've done the series and their fans proud. Expand
  57. Nov 12, 2011
    Game delivered. People **** about this game and then MW3 comes out and that makes this look like pure gold

New engine
    New maps and some classics
    new game types and gameplay
    new features and additions to forge
    Great closing story bringing us back to the beginning
    highest quality from bungie.
  58. Sep 16, 2010
    Superb game and probably one of the best overall game packages ever made. The different modes and the sheer amount of customisation options you have are mind boggling. That coupled with the best FPS gameplay in the business. Ignore the blatant PS3 trolls, Reach delivers everything by the bucket load - an amazing piece of software that has already broken single format sales records.
  59. Sep 16, 2010
    A brilliant game with a great Multiplayer mode, for many people is the best game of the Year. Graphs, Technic, Gameplay, Variety, Innovation, Sound and Argument, completely amazing, It´s unforgettable in this generation.

The Forge World 2.0 is wonderfull, this mode extend the game.

Score: 10
  60. Sep 16, 2010
    Fantastic game, is a true representation of what Games should be like, it's what Developers need to DO! Many have lost their way, Bringing out sequels that are basically the same as the previous version. (mw1/mw2 etc etc).

Bungie's last wish has come true, This is an epic game, and it shows just how epic some game developers can be, and what it can give back to the community. Best Game

Best Game of the Year by miles 10/10
  61. Sep 16, 2010
    Great game! jhsdflkdjs fldskj fdslk jfdslkfj dsljfsdlkfj sdlkf jdkjf kjf erjuwlkj nvmcsdfsd t sr sr tesetsst awre wet wqet WERT WRT E TSY YAY A ya y st xt
  62. Sep 16, 2010
    Halo reach is an amazing game, nearly perfect in avery aspect of game play it shined in campain with an amazing story and epic scenery. But, if you play a game just for MM reach won't disapoint, it's ranking system is flawless finaly rid of the boosters and derankers that plauged halo games of the past. Reach is the game of the year in my book.
  63. Sep 16, 2010
    Hyndra is gay. He's just sour that every other system doesnt even have an exclusive worth buying. Obviously, this queer hasnt even looked at an xbox. Any game review magazine or fan of gaming period can tell you that the Gears and Mass Effect franchises are amazing as well. The fact that Halo is so succesful just eats at the other consoles fanboys since theyll never have a game like it.Hyndra is gay. He's just sour that every other system doesnt even have an exclusive worth buying. Obviously, this queer hasnt even looked at an xbox. Any game review magazine or fan of gaming period can tell you that the Gears and Mass Effect franchises are amazing as well. The fact that Halo is so succesful just eats at the other consoles fanboys since theyll never have a game like it. Especially weak PS3. I shouldnt talk about Hyndra like this though. He's a five year old. I mean, how else could someone like wii more than 360 or ps3? Expand
  64. Pyr
    Sep 16, 2010
    This is an awesome game, I played the beta and I had been eagerly waiting play the full version that I now own. It's everything I was looking forward to and more, the campaign is fun and challenging and the multiplayer is much improved and the graphics are great.
  65. Sep 16, 2010
    Nada que hacer, es el máximo de la saga Halo. Hasta pronto Bungie, solo esperemos que 343 sepa por lo menos igualar su obra maestra. Es mejor esperar todo lo que esparamos pero que saquen productos de tan alta calidad como este trabajo.
  66. Sep 16, 2010
    It's astonishing how many user reviews on here are obviously not from people who have played the game. Even if the game was awful, I certainly wouldn't review it if I didn't play it. Anyway, I'll keep this short. The campaign is one of the most varied yet and dare I say it the best in the series. Excellent AI keeps you on your toes, great (but not brilliant) graphics, amazing music andIt's astonishing how many user reviews on here are obviously not from people who have played the game. Even if the game was awful, I certainly wouldn't review it if I didn't play it. Anyway, I'll keep this short. The campaign is one of the most varied yet and dare I say it the best in the series. Excellent AI keeps you on your toes, great (but not brilliant) graphics, amazing music and audio effects, super-addictive and refined multiplayer and enough gameplay provided between the campaign, firefight, matchmaking and forge that you'll be playing this for years. Expand
  67. Sep 16, 2010
    The only good thing about this game is the campaign, the online gameplay is full of nothing but bull **** calls. **** terrible job on the online aspect of this game all around.
  68. Sep 16, 2010
    10 10 10 10 10!!!!! Amazing story, even better multiplayer. Definetly best game of 2010 and halo series. MUST BUY. Sorry to see bungie haveta go. Tribute them by buying!!!
  69. Sep 22, 2010
    if anyone knows anything about games, its that graphics don't make the game. People are talking about how this isn't realistic at all.....idiots its **** halo what do yo expect. If you want realism go play arma 2, and sit there for 15 min waiting for someone to walk by.
  70. Sep 16, 2010
    HATERS GONNA HATE!....dont be fooled by the user score. its just alot of ps3 cry baby fanboys who wished they had Halo Reach. Reach is by far the best halo game ever made. it is a must get because it has the most importiant thing to a video game...REPLAY VALUE. this game is worth $100. because it will last you longer then any other game. most packed game ever. it is a must get......

more then 700,000 ppl playing it rite now. ps3 fanboys wished they had games that had this many ppl online. killzone 2 only has like 3000 world wide..LOL
  71. Sep 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To start, from reading the reviews by Users, most of negative ones are by people who obviously never touched this game. What that said lets actually talk about Reach. The overall game format is pretty standard Halo with some modifications. First is that there is no longer dual welding weapons. Which added to the fact that enemies by and large are harder to take down makes the game more difficult than in the past. Elites are beasts once again where they were nothing from Halo 2 on. When you think of Elites, think Halo 2 Brutes. Single Player offers 10 playable segments (the first segment is video). These range from ground pounding to vehicle combat to space superiority to air support missions. There is a lot of depth in the game play. So much so, while I was playing on Legendary with some friends, one of them comment that "this is not Halo." Of course it is but they are opening it up to show a larger story about the annihilation of the planet. During one point, one of the characters in your squad dies from being shot during a cutscreen and all 3 of us playing were shocked. You have to watch as one by one your squadmates die. I think the story was well done and is a great improvement on the non-Chief based Halo games (i.e. Halo Wars or ODST). When I did the beta for this game, I was very unimpressed by the multiplayer. It looked like a goofy version of Halo 3. I traded in the other Halo games because I love this multiplayer. Bungie really went out of their way to make the multiplayer rich and with lots of variations. Plus the weekly and daily challenges help to give you incentive to play different modes. Specifically Firefight and Forge stand out. This is the best Halo yet and anyone who is in to Sci-Fi shooters should get this game. Expand
  72. Sep 17, 2010
    Wow...
    Every single one of these negative reviews are like "Hurr durr, buy a PS3 and play Killzone 2," which can't hold a candle to ANY of the Halo games. I rarely see Xbots voting down games on the console of your choice...
    Wow...

My time with Reach has been great. Nothing short of amazing graphics, story, gameplay, the whole package. The multiplayer is the most fun of any game out there today.

If you can't have fun playing Halo: Reach, then I feel sorry for you.

I own both consoles and both games, so I'm not just talking about something I don't know about like the idiots voting 0 and telling you to buy a PS3. Seriously: grow up, and enjoy your console for what it is.
  73. Sep 17, 2010
    You can get a pretty good idea of what Halo Reach generally has to offer from reviews by both customers and professional critics available, but I'd like to focus this review on certain aspect of Reach that I found particularly worthy of praise, namely the combat. For me, Bungies Halo series (not counting Ensemble's still excellent Halo Wars) have always had distinctive, varied and freeYou can get a pretty good idea of what Halo Reach generally has to offer from reviews by both customers and professional critics available, but I'd like to focus this review on certain aspect of Reach that I found particularly worthy of praise, namely the combat. For me, Bungies Halo series (not counting Ensemble's still excellent Halo Wars) have always had distinctive, varied and free flowing combat I love, but Reach is really the pinnacle of that Bungie unique brand of FPS combat. It's hard to find faults in a system that Bungie invented and perfected through almost two decades of developing FPS.

In a lot of other FPSs, there's usually couple of selected weapons I tend to gravitate toward after familiarizing myself with what's available in the game. However, players would be hard pressed to find such "Swiss Army knife" of guns in Reach. The weapons library and availability are well balanced; the perfect weapon is very much dependent on the various elements of any given situation and environment. While the basic combination of energy arms to wear the shield down and kinetic ones to kill still provide the basis of your weapon selection consideration, increase in variety of open and close environments and types of enemy encountered add complicity and weightier consequences to decisions made on what firearms to bring into the next battle. This by no means strictly limits each weapon into specific categories of engagements. On the contrary I found most weapons to be flexible enough to serve in all situation but choosing the right ones to match your skill sets and circumstances is absolutely critical in surviving higher difficulties in the game.

The levels themselves are excellently designed and provide the perfect backdrops to both small and large scale battles. Placement of enemy troops seems to be pre-scripted limiting battles to specific locale on the map, but the movement of those enemies are not as restricted and helps to retain dynamic flow of the battle. While the maps are fairly linear, the areas of each encounter are open (horizontally and vertically, I might add) and offer great amount of flexibility in tactical approaches and executions, especially with other live players. During a coop campaign mission, I found myself going back to a perch from an earlier point in the game that overlook the area we were suppose to defend and provided effective stand off support from a distance for my teammates.

Speaking of teammates, AI of your computer controlled allies have not changed all that much from the previous games, which isn't necessary a bad thing. I like the fact that Halo friendly AI can act independent of players' action. In combat, they are not hiding behind the player character expecting he/her to push the front line forward like other FPS (CoD). But some sense of self preservation in friendly teammates like Covenant grunts often display would go a long way to immerse the player. On the other hand, enemy AI have improved drastically. Players no longer have their sole attention like I've seen in many other FPS. Covenant troops seem to react to other Spartans or human soldiers as well, depending on the level of threat they present at that instant. Since player is never alone in any mission, this effectively makes flanking a viable and necessary tactic in SP campaign. When I drop back to recharge shield, it's an opportunity to approach the enemy from the side while they are focused on my teammates. It isn't an sure fire technique as enemy AI sometimes will utilize their advantage and pursue when when you're recharging especially if you are overly aggressive and advance too far behind the line. Enemy AI will now recognize and use force multiplier in field like turrets (even gun turrets on abandoned warhogs which was something I didn't see them doing in previous games) and unoccupied vehicles. Overall, they seem "smarter" than before at gauging the situation and player intent then reacting accordingly; for example they throw grenades to flush out players in defensible positions, move to a safe distance before firing explosive weapon when players are close, deploy armor lock-down when players try to run them over, disable player vehicle with plasma overcharge to counter zoom and boom tactic etc.

The only real complaint I have is the fact that drop ship deployment are almost instantaneous and in static locations often invulnerable to fire from ground. The instant enemy reinforcement really work against my usual tactics of wearing the enemy strength down from medium and long range then seizing the momentum and charging at the weaken remaining troops. In Reach such combination of tactics would get me sandwiched between the remaining enemies and fresh reinforcement dropping behind me. But that's more of a personal preference than a legitimate gripe toward the game.
  74. Sep 17, 2010
    this was the best game i have ever played except maybe halo 3. The graphics are awesome (for a halo) and the game play was flawless. The multiplayer is better even that Bad Company 2. If you don't buy and love this game, you are lame and stupid.
  75. Sep 17, 2010
    Definitely lives up to the hype. The campaign is amazing, especially playing co-op, and the multiplayer is the best yet with more customization than you'll know what to do with. With the new Forge and armor upgrade system Halo: Reach was well worth the wait.
  76. Sep 17, 2010
    Actual score: 9
    Actual score: 9
    Listen, if you didn't like Halo before this game, it's not going to try to change your mind. Why would it? Bungie already has millions of faithful fans, and as their last installment, they were not trying to widen their range. If you already hated Halo, and you're reviewing this, either A. You're an idiot for spending your money expecting a franchise as successful as Halo to cater to you.
    B. You're a liar who doesn't have the game and can't stand that other people love it.
    I'm not saying this game shouldn't have negative reviews. I'll admit, those saying that the campaign doesn't come close to the first have a point. But to give it a 7 or 6 based on that is, I believe, unfair. Most games that come out these days have a 4-6 hour campaign with a forgettable plot and no replay value. Halo Reach has a 10 hour campaign with an alright story and plenty of re-playability thanks to features like 4 player co-op, scoring systems, and the vast number of game-tweaking skulls. I'll admit, the narrative has something to be desired, and the characters simply aren't there long enough to care about them, but to someone who already is into the Halo lore (and there is a lot of it), this provides a short but sweet prologue.
    As for campaign gameplay, it starts out slow, but by the last few levels it really starts to feel like you're part of a losing war. There are no more backtracking levels, and no more flood. The real treat, however, is the amazing AI. Enemy AI that is. Friendlies still have a hard time driving and shooting. The enemies however, especially the elites, are superb. In no other game will the computer enemies dive, dodge, flank, or sneak up on you as much as a Halo elite. And in reach, they just get better. Brutes are characteristically.. well.. brutal, and hunters are for the first time a serious threat; tough to take down and heavy hitters.
    The campaign I would give an 8. But really, this game deserves a high score on content alone. When you buy your average game, you pay for a campaign, maybe some co-op mode, and multiplayer. When you buy Halo Reach, you buy a co-op campaign, a co-op mode, multiplayer with a ranked arena system, a HUGE map editor, game-wide theater replay, and best of all file-share, which allows players across Halo to share maps, gametypes, screens, and films.
    Not much to say about multiplayer. There aren't too many maps, but all of them are great. Blood Gulch finally makes a triumphant return, and Ivory Tower plays better than ever. Invasion is a new way for players to finally get their fill of elite vs. spartan conflict, and headhunter is just crazy. The biggest gameplay changes lie in the new armor abilities. They are all extremely fun to use and so far seem perfectly balanced. I prefer fooling enemies with the hologram, while my friends like to fly above with the jetpack to rain terror. Besides some new weapons, vehicles, and gameplay tweaks however, it's still Halo. If you hate Halo, you'll hate this.
    Firefight was never my favorite, but it's hard to not try it now and then with the amount of customization offered now. You change every set, every wave, every group of enemies. You can change their behavior, statistics, and weapon loadouts. Really, it's overwhelming. It also now includes matchmaking support.
    Theater mode is just as great as ever, but they seem to have removed the ability to watch with parties. This is a huge downer for me, as my doubles partner and I love to reminisce about old games. Still, considering no FPS games even have this feature, it's hard to complain.
    And forge. Wow. I spent hundreds of hours creating and sharing maps in the first forge, and I'm scared to even start with the new one. Whereas in Halo 3 you were often limited by frustrating controls and limited object physics, in forge world you honestly feel like your imagination is only thing limiting you. There really is almost nothing you cannot do. You can't change geography I guess, but you already have a huge variety of settings in the world, and you can add scenery like rocks and trees. Seriously, my friends and I have played thousands of H2/H3 custom games, and with the new forge system, I don't see us stopping any time soon.
    On the technical elements, the graphics are nice but nothing spectacular this day and age. Weapons and character models look amazing, but environments look plain and the frame rate can occasionally go down in heavy moments. The sound is the real star. While not quite matching the intensity of Bad Company's booming accompaniment, Reach is still far above average this time, with powerful-sounding guns and cannons, and rumbling explosions. Much more engaging than your average video game.
    All in all, you get what you pay for. If you're a Halo fan, you already know you're getting this. If you're one of those guys who absolutely despises Halo, stay away from us. No one cares.
    Technical: 8
    Story: 7
    Gameplay: 10
    Content: 10
  77. Sep 18, 2010
    In the beginning, you know the end.
    In the beginning, you know the end.
    These are the words Bungie have used to market Halo Reach and nothing could be closer to the truth. Over the last decade, Halo has been one of the most successful franchises in gaming history, providing the XBOX with a killer app and itself becoming a cultural phenomenon. However, with the Halo trilogy done, and as the fan base knows what happens to Reach, it was imperative that a deeper story would be needed that extended the Reach narrative.
    Enter Noble Team. An elite group of six Spartan soldiers located on Reach tasked with a mission to investigate the 'Visegrad Relay'. You play as Noble Six, a replacement Spartan for the others 'missing in action'. The first thing you will notice about the game is the improvement to the graphics. The engine has been completed overhauled and with smoother animation, this is easily the most technically impressive Halo yet. The artistic design is phenomenal, with Reach itself becoming a central character in the game with amazing vistas and variety.
    Althought the campaign is only 9 missions long, there is enought variety in terms of levels and scenarios to make this a valid purchase. Each mission, on Legendary, can take over an hour to complete.
    So, I've given Halo Reach a 9. What makes Halo Reach good?
    After completing the campaign, I had to admit I was a little dissapointed. I played the campaign on 'Heroic' difficulty and managed to complete it in a day. I had my own expectations of what I wanted to get from Halo Reach that I didn't get from this. But, in hindsight and after going back to the game with a clear head, Halo Reach is a brilliant piece of software.
    The campaign is incredibly varied. To go into too much detail enters 'spoiler territory' but the level 'Last Night in Solace' is my favourite Halo campaign mission ever. (Note: the mission shown in the E3 reveal!). Bungie have upted the action meter with a lot of background going on. Reach is being attacked by the Covenant and it feels like it. You will see battles in the skies and distance and there is a genuine feel of a constant threat around you trying to take your planet.
    The campaign does have it's shortcomings which I noticed more from playing on the 'Legendary' difficulty. The artificial intelligence. I had issues of Brutes walking past about seven marines to come for me, which completely killed the atmosphere. Likewise, the marines didn't fire shots. The marines are terrible at driving warthogs, always sending you in the line of fire (Legendary, that means death!) and concentrating fire on the wrong targets. Frustrating. I also noticed on the hardest difficulty the weapons seem to be unbalanced. It takes a silly amount of amunition to take down the smallest of targets and I feel Bungie should have relied more on 'armor upgrades' or 'tactics' to improve the difficulty rather than something as cheap as 'it will take 3 times as more shots to kill me'. An example is Ghost vs Ghost on Legendary you will always lose, even if you had the upper hand. Basically, the CPU cheats to make it difficult, which it still isn't, suprisingly. Another example is Elites dual-weilding plasma rifles, which you cannot do.
    Despite these shortcomings, Halo Reach does have some impressive campaign sleeves up it's belt. 'Armor abilities'. You'd think these would be game-breaking but infact, they are my new favourite additions to Halo. Armor abilities allow you to perform certain actions which now provides a new tactical edge to gameplay. The 'Hologram' is incredibly useful and hilarious in multiplayer as well as 'Armor Lock' which stops Online Vehicle Killing Sprees...finally.
    There are so many posotives to the Halo Reach package. Outside the campaign, there is a new CR system to purchase armor upgrades which are reflected in game and a new way of levelling up. It's a shame this was not expanded into other territories but I suppose that is what DLC is for. Forge has been expanded to include a 'map-editing' feature known as 'Forge World'. You cannot amend the geometry of the level but you can add items and structures. Firefight, from ODST, is included with several other gamnetypes such as 'Arena, Score Attack' which provide a large online package.
    The story of Halo Reach is well paced, but I wish there was a deeper narrative to develop a relationship with your fellow Spartans. I liked the fact that, despite everything going on, you were not the central character, the planet itself was. In the latter parts of the game, you are tasked with missions that are not exactly stereotypically 'end of game' missions but make you feel small and disposable, which is what you are in the jist of things.
    So, in conclusion, Halo Reach is a fantastic product. The campaign, on it's own scores at least an 8 with the other packages available pushing this to a nine. Play it on Heroic, you'll enjoy it and try legendary once you fancy a challenge. FeelinLuckyPUNK
  78. Sep 19, 2010
    Halo Reach is truly enjoyable. My son and I completed the campaign via split screen and enjoyed the pace, story, orchestral score and playability. The multiplayer in cooperative mode is fun as well, or for a challenge, try competitive multiplayer. Thanks for a great series Bungie!
  79. Sep 19, 2010
    The campaign is second only to the first Halo. But when you consider the whole package (Campaign, Firefight, Multilayer, Forge) I think it is the best Halo yet. With some interesting new weapons and a new feel for the story the campaign was a blast and is definitely worth playing over again. Firefight has improved quite a bit since ODST. It is nice to be able to make your own game types inThe campaign is second only to the first Halo. But when you consider the whole package (Campaign, Firefight, Multilayer, Forge) I think it is the best Halo yet. With some interesting new weapons and a new feel for the story the campaign was a blast and is definitely worth playing over again. Firefight has improved quite a bit since ODST. It is nice to be able to make your own game types in Firefight. The multilayer is better than ever with more game options, the addition of load-outs, new weapons, armor abilities, and fun new maps. Forge has also greatly improved. What was once extremely frustrating in Halo 3 is only slightly frustrating in Reach. I would definitely recommend this to ALL of my friends. Expand
  80. Sep 19, 2010
    Halo Reach is a breath of fresh air after the last two games. It may not be as good as a PS3 game, but the developers already knew that their console wasn't as good. So they played with it. What they bring to the table is an entertaining campaign that feels a lot more open than the rest of the series, with beautiful bright environments, and game play that feels right at home. The fewHalo Reach is a breath of fresh air after the last two games. It may not be as good as a PS3 game, but the developers already knew that their console wasn't as good. So they played with it. What they bring to the table is an entertaining campaign that feels a lot more open than the rest of the series, with beautiful bright environments, and game play that feels right at home. The few innovations that Reach brings to the table are enough, as the campaign feels the right length and the rest of the package is even bigger. There's a lot to do in Reach, trust me, it doesn't disappoint. I'll end this review by saying that the only two titles that have entertained me as much as Reach are Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Uncharted 2 Among Thieves, it is that fun. Expand
  81. Sep 19, 2010
    Bungie, like BioWare and very few others, listens to the fans and improves the games. Every Halo game has been very good at the time, and each one has been better than the last. Reach is no exception. It is a pretty large leap forward. The plot is great and the multiplayer is better than ever. Bungie brought back some of the old maps (Ivory Tower from Halo 2 is now Reflection). TheBungie, like BioWare and very few others, listens to the fans and improves the games. Every Halo game has been very good at the time, and each one has been better than the last. Reach is no exception. It is a pretty large leap forward. The plot is great and the multiplayer is better than ever. Bungie brought back some of the old maps (Ivory Tower from Halo 2 is now Reflection). The largest flaw in ODST was that there was no matchmaking for Firefight, but now there is. There are some new great game modes like Invasion and Headhunter. This is a great game. Expand
  82. Sep 20, 2010
    I have been a long time halo fan, and this is hands down in my opinion the best in the series. Great graphics, game play, and loads of features makes this one of my favorite games of the year. Thatâ
  83. Sep 20, 2010
    Wow, it's a perfect game! Bungie has discovered perfection formula! Halo Reach's graphics are the most beautiful ever, but yea not the best. But the feeling in that spacious place, with that cars, with that war whole thing! Wh-oah! They put a great and remarkable end to they last game with Microsoft-only.

An epic adventure, well told. The most epic game ever, maybe.
  84. Sep 20, 2010
    This is the greatest FPS to ever grace any console. It will be very hard to ever deliver a game on this level again. I only stopped playing it to have sex with my girlfriend.
  85. Sep 20, 2010
    I should say going into this that I am a Huge Halo fan, I have loved all the past games, Halo CE and Halo 2 being my favorites. That aside Reach tells the story of six very human Spartans and there struggle to try to save a Doomed planet and lay the steping stone for the eventual survival of mankind. Going into this you know the outcome but the story getting to that out come is one ofI should say going into this that I am a Huge Halo fan, I have loved all the past games, Halo CE and Halo 2 being my favorites. That aside Reach tells the story of six very human Spartans and there struggle to try to save a Doomed planet and lay the steping stone for the eventual survival of mankind. Going into this you know the outcome but the story getting to that out come is one of Heroism, sacrifice and loss. Five Hundred million people died on Reach and it is safe to say that this is the darkest game in the entire series. The cinematics have taken influence from movies like "Hurt Locker" and "District 9" in that it is a very close up boots in the mud story, it does this to great affect. I found my self growing attached to some of the Spartans and needless to say their loss left me with a haunting somber feeling that I could not shake, Understanding the characters and the universe will help to heighten the effects of the story. The visuals of this game are beautiful with crisp textures, lush foliage, amazing weather effects, water and animation this may well be the best looking Xbox 360 exclusive out. this is also first Halo game where the faces on human characters look great being on par with Gears of War 2 and Uncharted 2. But all this beauty does come at a cost of the frame rate from time to time, must notably in the first level and in the cut scenes. Game play is the culmination of all the best parts of past Halo games, it feels refreshed with things like weapon bloom, sway and sprinting to give it a far more modern feel. There also are many things that show up for the first time in a Halo game wich not only are pretty darn cool they made this game stand out for me. The enemies are fun to fight and on Heroic and especially Legendary they are a true challenge. The AI in Reach is some of the best in any game I have ever played, Elites are back in front and no longer will you be fighting the boring, stand still Brutes from Halo 3. Hunters on Legendary are the toughest Halo foe I have ever encountered and this is a dream for any long time Halo fan. Though in some of the later levels there can be parts where there are too many high level enemies and not enough of the weapons you need to properly get the job done leading to some frustrating parts. This was my experience on Legendary anyways. Multi-player is very fun, guns have a kick and the new falcon is a blast. Halo 3 left me lacking a little bit and this so far seems to fill the niche Ive been wanting for a while and with so many things to do in this game, it will keep a fan entertained for a long time. With saved films along with an over hauled forge mode added in to the mix along with matchmaking support for the fully customisable Fire Fight and campaign. As of launch yet to be included seems to be the campaign matchmaking. This is a lot of multi player content, we will have to wait and see if it lasts the test of time. All in all this is a fantastic experience that gave me the best first time impression of any Halo game since the original one, this is a great conclusion to Bungie`s Halo and a must play for any Halo fan be it big or small. If you have never played a Halo this is were to start. From the beginning you know the end. Expand
  86. Sep 21, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is excellent in everyone of it's many aspects. First off the campaign, while short (about 8-9 hours long) is fun to play through and definitely warrants another playthrough, probably with one or more friends. The AI in the campaign however is a mixed bag; the enemy is even better than the older Halos almost to point of you predicting their movements, only to find that they've flanked you. Your allies AI on the other hand is unchanged, in that they still can't drive and will probably require nudging to get moving again. The good thing is that your SPARTAN buddies are invincible and can soak up damage, alleviating the pain on Heroic and Legendary.
    Multiplayer is the same as it was before; well balanced and extremely enjoyable. The weapons are rarely overpowered to one-another and those that are can be scarce. The new load-out system which allows players to choose the weapons/ability they start with may seem similar to MW2, but are non-customisable, meaning everyone can only select from predetermined options and not an overpowered one like in MW2.
    Reaches firefight is the same survival-based gameplay found in ODST's firefight. This version however can now be customised at the same level as custom games can be, and uses load-outs like in multiplayer matchmaking. The maps used can't be forged sadly.
    Custom games remains largely unchanged from Halo 3, with just some minor options added.
    Forge is made even accessible in Reach, and the player will feel even more in control of what they're doing. The biggest changes include item degree snapping, the ability the phase items through each other, instead of having to use a glitch in Halo 3, and the edition of a giant forgeable map with many different play areas throughout.
    Theatre is unchanged from Halo 3, aside from the ability to rewind campaign.
    The ability to customise your character has increased dramatically from Halo 3, with tons more options and more areas to customise.
    The graphics are an improvement from Halo 3s and while they're not at the same level as CoD/BBC/Gears, are far to be considered bad, and are impressive non-the-less.
    Overall, the game has more features than nearly all other shooters on the market. Call me a fanboy if you will, but give a damn good reason just why you think it's bad as well.
    9.5/10 (rounded to ten)
  87. Sep 21, 2010
    Okay beyond the obvious people who feel different by putting down something great to stand out from a the majority (I get it). But putting this one down is crazy if not foolish. The idea of perfect is out there but so is this game. Not since the time of Resident Evil 4 have i been so engrossed in a game.
  88. Sep 21, 2010
    This is an amazing Game!!!!!!!!!! Any fan of a first person shooter will love it. My only complaint is the shooting mechanics are a bit off. Besides that buy it you will not regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  89. Sep 21, 2010
    Truly a great game. I wasn't the biggest Halo fan but this game changed my opinion. New features like stealth 3rd person kills, classes, and a better forge made this game awesome. Great job Bungie
  90. Sep 23, 2010
    Reach is easily the best halo since combat evolved. Really it should have been Halo 3. Campaign was a tad short but classic. All these people that didnt like it are flat out little kids, that arent old enough to buy the game in the first place, complaining about how they changed it so much. They complain that they were great at halo 3 and suck at this. That's because this, unlike halo 3,Reach is easily the best halo since combat evolved. Really it should have been Halo 3. Campaign was a tad short but classic. All these people that didnt like it are flat out little kids, that arent old enough to buy the game in the first place, complaining about how they changed it so much. They complain that they were great at halo 3 and suck at this. That's because this, unlike halo 3, this is not noob friendly. They took away noob dual wielding, never seen one pro use this on a regular basis, as well they made the cross hair expand with the recoil so you have to time your shots and slow the pace. This is halo back to its roots, where it should be. Pro's are finally obvious and no little kids can think or claim they are pros, like they did in halo 3, because true skill really comes through this time. I have won 1000's of dollars in tournaments (since halo 1) and was flat out sick of all these noobs claiming to be pro. To the point where i stopped taking challenges unless it was at a tournament. Lost count of how many kids i shut out that thought they were MLG. This game finally puts noobs and medium skilled players in their place. If you dont like it, practice and get better. Dont blame the game for showing you who you really are. New weapons rock and are balanced, as long as you have an intelligent approach to combat situations you should do all right. Expand
  91. Sep 23, 2010
    HALO: Reach takes what is great about the franchise and makes it better. The campaign is by far the most story-driven of any of the HALO titles with plenty of excellent set pieces and emotional scenarios to draw you into the drama. The weight of the fall of one of humanity's largest colonies is conveyed in a truly masterful fashion. The closing scene after the credits is one of the mostHALO: Reach takes what is great about the franchise and makes it better. The campaign is by far the most story-driven of any of the HALO titles with plenty of excellent set pieces and emotional scenarios to draw you into the drama. The weight of the fall of one of humanity's largest colonies is conveyed in a truly masterful fashion. The closing scene after the credits is one of the most memorable scenarios I've experienced in any game.

Multiplayer is as addicting as ever. With the new credit system allowing you to cosmetically customize your Spartan III being a new pull to keep you engaged, you won't be backing away from this game any time soon. The controls are, expectedly, responsive and intuitive, and the new armour abilities add a new layer of strategy and give you several novel ways to unleash mayhem.

If you are a 360 owner, Reach is definitely a must-have title for your library.
  92. Sep 24, 2010
    This must be THE halo game of generation, story was good and graphics worked well. You can't call yourself a fps-player if you don't try this masterpiece. It's not flawless, but near to it. AI really gives you good fight in story-mode and especially in firefight. Loving it.
  93. Oct 22, 2010
    Through it doesn't feel like halo anymore it rate it 10 because i respect the original halo which is the best from all halo games.The music and action are different,cold.
  94. Sep 24, 2010
    This was Bungie's last Halo game and hope 343 Industries can fill those big shoes. The campaign may seem short, but it is engaging, the multiplayer is at it's finest, Forge allows greater freedom, and Firefight has been greatly improved. There are also little bonuses for the game, so sign in and check them out. This truly is the best Halo game and the best bet to get Game of the Year.
  95. Sep 25, 2010
    I think that Bungie has finally made a leap in video gaming history i think this game will stand on the gaming market for a long time to come it has a fun and exiting campaign multiplayer is also fun with some new additions like armor abilities modes etc. there are a few downsides like the AI's and a short campaign but really those are just normal factors you see in every other game soI think that Bungie has finally made a leap in video gaming history i think this game will stand on the gaming market for a long time to come it has a fun and exiting campaign multiplayer is also fun with some new additions like armor abilities modes etc. there are a few downsides like the AI's and a short campaign but really those are just normal factors you see in every other game so that doesnt give it much marks down.i also think that it is a sad thing for Bungie to have the final game of the series and the final game they will ever be participating in so really for all the halo fans it must be a really dissapointing thing, but as i have said i think Bungie has finally made a game that will possibly get higher ratins that Mass Effect 2 and have set a gravestone for themselves as 'one of the greatest game developers to date'. Expand
  96. Sep 26, 2010
    Halo 3 was pretty damn good in all respects: Halo Reach polishes, refines and expands on everything that game did. I see myself playing this in 3 years time, hopefully even beyond the closure of the servers. This post is pretty stereotypical already, so I won't bore you further with details that you already know and probably have already formed your own opinion of. But I feel compelled toHalo 3 was pretty damn good in all respects: Halo Reach polishes, refines and expands on everything that game did. I see myself playing this in 3 years time, hopefully even beyond the closure of the servers. This post is pretty stereotypical already, so I won't bore you further with details that you already know and probably have already formed your own opinion of. But I feel compelled to say one thing more: 79 negative reviews? Are these people honestly saying that Halo: Reach is on the same level of quality as the likes of poor movie cash-ins such as Eragon and WALL.E? Sure, if you don't like the game that's fine, but at least try and be professional when posting a review. Your only making yourselves look stupid. Expand
  97. Dec 4, 2012
    If you have an Xbox 360 and don't have this game, then you're **** stupid. Bungie scores on its last outing with this saga and it rules. Wow. I expected a lot out of this game and it didn't disappoint.
  98. Sep 28, 2010
    The first halo game I actually enjoyed. I never liked halo that much, Halo 1 and 2 were decent but the gameplay lacked in comparison to other fps games like Time Splitters, and the multiplayer was simplistic back then. Halo 3 had a large focus on mainstream gaming because of the extreme auto aim, low damage weapons and the too much use of the same tactics (running in on someone whileThe first halo game I actually enjoyed. I never liked halo that much, Halo 1 and 2 were decent but the gameplay lacked in comparison to other fps games like Time Splitters, and the multiplayer was simplistic back then. Halo 3 had a large focus on mainstream gaming because of the extreme auto aim, low damage weapons and the too much use of the same tactics (running in on someone while shooting and then hitting once was used 9 out of 10)
    All of this however, has now been fixed. Gameplay is incredible smooth (i finnaly have the feeling im controlling the character instead of trying to push a floating object around, this game feels more direct and faster than any halo). Also, because of the new options for jetpacks, stealth, armor lock, etc. Much more tactics are possible, because of the jetpack, close combat weapons are less overpowered, and rockets kan finnaly be evaded by skilled players, however it has been balanced as such that when flying, you take more damage, so skillful players who can actually aim can kill you in no time, and when you become invisble because of stealth, you become deaf, so you can be backstabbed easily yourself, and cant hear were the fighting is. Singleplayer is more of the same, but just with smoother gameplay, and the jetpack allows some new memorable sections. The story is much more human and intelligent, like in ODST. So just small improvements here, nothing spectacular.
    Everyone should check this game out, also non halo fanboys, ESPECIALLY non halo fanboys
  99. Oct 1, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Funny that we live in a world of Halo now. The original Halo formula of carrying only two weapons, a dedicated grenade throwing and melee button, and shields instead of health packs lives on in every first person shooter. Think Call of Duty doesn't have recharging shields, just hide behind a dumpster for a few seconds while you magically heal yourself. All these games are just Halo without the colorful environments and aliens. Halo Reach is a little bit of a step back. The shields are not as strong and health packs are placed sparingly. I liked the grace period offered by Halo 2 and 3 better. Also missing are dual wielding weapons. Dual wielding also took a back seat to using the Battle Rifle, but this had more to do hiding behind cover at a distance than the fun factor of laying down a torrent of fire. Another oddity, a Scarab - the giant walking armored battle bug - returns but you don't fight it. I feel like the game misses out on a few hero moments like fighting the Scarab or singlehandedly storming an alien bunker.

Halo: Reach trades those hero moments for teamwork. You don't lead you term so much as shoot in close vicinity to them. It is definitely a trade off. You need to work with them but you can't really work with them. I was never a fan of having to set way points for my team as if they were bots - and lets be clear here, they are bots - but a little direction would be nice. Just a simple "stop" so I can trade weapons with them would do the trick.

All the criticism is moot, this is Bungie's last Halo game. Moreover, the game is great. I was taken back to the fun of "Assault on the Control Room" many times. The pacing and weapons are great. The space portion was so good I could play a whole game that way, and in fact did in the old X-Wing and Tie Fighter days. The last level is epic not in scope but in emotional impact. Stranded on a planet overcome by the Covenant, all you have left to do is fight to your death. After 4 Halo games here the protagonists live, this game shows you how perilous the fight is, how finishing the fight required a sacrifice of life.

1. Jan 18, 2011
    If you loved all the other Halo games, there's little I can say to dissuade you from purchasing Bungie's last creation in the Halo series.
  2. Jan 15, 2011
    Halo: Reach is not a breakthrough, yet it's a clear showcase of Bungie's creative growth. The game is hardly a "must buy" – its single-player campaign is way too short and uneven in quality, while multiplayer has very little room for expansion besides map packs and useless character decorations. But with that said, Reach is worthy of your attention for a couple of evenings.
  3. Dec 25, 2010
    Almost achieves the impossible and fulfills the hype. Among the best shooters ever created. [Issue#231, p.82]