7.7

1. Jun 13, 2015
    It is one of my favorite games, with gorgeous, colorful, and varied environments of a world rich in Celtic mythology and lore!
    It has great game feel with your character being well responsive and having solid gameplay, as well as a good deal of options for customization when it comes to both play style and appearance.
    It's not a perfect game of course, if you are as big of a collector as
    It's not a perfect game of course, if you are as big of a collector as me, be prepared to be frustrated and aggravated at the fact that there is limited storage space. It also suffers from having the illness that is PLC. Where the DLC is worth it in my opinion, giving variation to the lore and setting, there is an unpleasant bit of tomfoolery with a certain area in the main game. Personally, it left a bad taste in my mouth and hurt this game dearly.

Nonetheless, the world is large, the combat is fun and satisfying, the visuals are pleasant and the environments are gorgeous, the voice acting is solid and fun, and the where some might not like the plot, the world is rich with lore and quests to make it alone worth the play through.

If it wasn't for the PLC issue and a few designer choices that weren't for the best, this game would be a 9 or a 10, mainly coming from my love for Celtic Irish folklore and mythology and how well they integrated it into the world of Amalur.

Final Verdict: 8.3/10
    Highly Recommended!
  2. Aug 10, 2014
    When I first started playing Amalur I instantly fell in love with the game. I LOVED the look of the game. It looks similiar to the artstyle for WoW or Fable. The entire first zone totally gives me a Elwynn Forest feel from WoW. The combat is pretty simplistic and not overly complicated and is pretty fun. You get to choose to play as the typical Mage, Rouge, Warrior, or Jack of All Trades.When I first started playing Amalur I instantly fell in love with the game. I LOVED the look of the game. It looks similiar to the artstyle for WoW or Fable. The entire first zone totally gives me a Elwynn Forest feel from WoW. The combat is pretty simplistic and not overly complicated and is pretty fun. You get to choose to play as the typical Mage, Rouge, Warrior, or Jack of All Trades. This is the first time, I've felt like such a bad ass mage. Mages in this game use Chakrams which make you feel like a bad ass. The leveling progression is fun, and you can change your build at any time. The main story is well written and makes you feel kinda important though don't be fooled. This is not an open world game with plenty of choices like Mass Effect or The Elder Scrolls. This game is very linear though that doesn't make it a bad thing. The voice acting is well done, but the side quests are generic. I'd rather grind reputation quests in WoW or in some other MMO than do the side quests for Amalur. Albeit that are ALOT, though they are so generic they suck the fun out of the game. A lot of them are go here and kill that type of quests. Overall a very fun experience. If you're a fan of Fable, or The Elder Scrolls, then this is the game for you. This is probably the most underrated game of 2012. Expand
  3. Aug 6, 2014
    Early into playing , KoA seemed like a solid transition from the Bethesda RPGs, with its smooth battle system, fastened pace, abundant loot, and it's colorful graphic scheme(a little outdated, but a nice change after having played WAY too much skyrim). Despite the games camera issues, dismal NPCs, and gameplay flaws I couldn't put the controller down. I couldn't get enough of the combat,Early into playing , KoA seemed like a solid transition from the Bethesda RPGs, with its smooth battle system, fastened pace, abundant loot, and it's colorful graphic scheme(a little outdated, but a nice change after having played WAY too much skyrim). Despite the games camera issues, dismal NPCs, and gameplay flaws I couldn't put the controller down. I couldn't get enough of the combat, fighting through every cave, dungeon, and keep I could just to amass loot and xp. It was really enjoyable for awhile, but when the combat started to lose some of its charm, I began to realize how lacking the rest of the game actually was.

The side quests proved to be very monotonous, with very little or no strategy involved, and were almost completely void of any engaging narrative. The main story, which was so dull it seemed half-assed, didn't do the game much justice either. After awhile I felt like I was playing a game with very little to look forward to. The constant kill this, kill that hack and slash attitude of the game had really worn itself out after 50 hours of play, and the game became progressively more tedious as I moved on. Overall I don't think this was a horrible game by any means, and it does have some engaging elements, but just because it stylistically plays like an mmo doesn't really excuse it's poor storytelling, weak character interaction, and it's blatant repetitiveness. I honestly believe this game had the potential to be great, but the finished product fell disappointingly short.
  4. Mar 18, 2014
    Simply the best of the best when it comes to the action RPG genre of gaming. The game play is solid, the talent/skill system is really simple to work on a specific type of build. For those who enjoy some sort of strategy to a confrontation this game may not be for you, but for those who don't mind some sort of rotation on abilities and not having to micromanage every detail then I highlySimply the best of the best when it comes to the action RPG genre of gaming. The game play is solid, the talent/skill system is really simple to work on a specific type of build. For those who enjoy some sort of strategy to a confrontation this game may not be for you, but for those who don't mind some sort of rotation on abilities and not having to micromanage every detail then I highly recommend this game. Contrary to other reviewers, I did not feel this game had much if any thing in common with Skyrim or Oblivion. Expand
  5. Mar 2, 2014
    Is a single play open world, in a fantasy setting, with levelling up system etc
    Pros:
    Solid main story Average voice acting but good enough Nice colourful artistic graphics Diverse combat, ( dodge, time parries) Great levelling system Able to re spec at anytime Rewarding Cons: Guild missions needed more story Repetitive Boring soundtrack I've put about 50 hrs and that's
    Is a single play open world, in a fantasy setting, with levelling up system etc
    Pros:
    Solid main story
    Average voice acting but good enough
    Nice colourful artistic graphics
    Diverse combat, ( dodge, time parries)
    Great levelling system
    Able to re spec at anytime
    Rewarding

Cons:
    Guild missions needed more story
    Repetitive
    Boring soundtrack

I've put about 50 hrs and that's all I want to put.
  6. Feb 6, 2014
    I had recently purchased this game during the EA games publisher sale on Xbox Live and I have currently played 5 hours of KoA: Reckoning. I have to say, this game is fantastic. The story and the gameplay are worth talking about. Best 10 dollars that I have ever played.
  7. Aug 7, 2013
    Kingdoms of Amalur is an open world fantasy role playing game created by 38 studios. To give you a proper entrance into the theme; you should be aware that the artwork came from none other than the artistic mastermind behind the Spawn comics, Todd McFarlane. If you are a fan of McFarlane’s dark taste and submersive environment style, than this game is crafted especially for you.
    At the
    At the very start of the game you are taken into a third person animated cut scene where you watch your armor plated character fall in battle. Once you have awoken you find yourself atop a mound of corpses, you are then prompted to customize your character. After choosing what race, gender and appearance you would like for your character you start the play through wandering through an endless cavern to find out what happened to you. Eventually you run into your ressurector who informs you that you were brought back to life to deliver peace and resolve to the world of Amalur against an evil destructor by the name of Gadflow. Once progressing through the introduction, you find out that you are actually "Fateless" in a world that is weaved by preordained fate. With this new resurrection, you have gained special abilities and techniques such as beginner’s might, sorcery and stealth which are upgradeable further through out the game, making you God-like towards the final stages of play through.
    One of the most fascinating things about the game (and my personal favorite) is the expansive world of Amalur. I reached 105 hours of gameplay towards the end of my journey while only exploring 85% of the map. There are so many different regions to explore such as; foggy wetlands, desert kingdoms; arachnid forests filled with egg sacks, spider webs and dead corpses, shore-side mountain tops and so many others. With each habitat you encounter, you will also encounter a different species that resides there. There are deadly fairies, trolls, zombies, giant spiders, large blood seeking Niskaru, swamp monsters and so many more. My personal favorite are the different elf like creatures you will encounter known as the “Alfar” and the “Fae”. These elf like creatures are divided among their particular hierarchies and the regions in which they reside. Take the lead antagonist for example; Gadflow, he is a “Winter Fae” with dark purple skin and piercing black eyes. Gadflow; like other Winter Fae, lives in the dark crystal twilight region of Alabastar explaining the physical adaptations to his environment. Pretty detailed right?
    In terms of role playing games, the aspect of leveling up could sometimes be overwhelming for some players. Amalur approaches the idea of upgrading your abilities while still keeping the gamers attention quite successfully. There are two leveling up configurations in Amalur; class and ability. Choosing your class in Amalur will depict which type of fighter you will choose to become; whether it be stealth, sorcery or might oriented. When you do finally level up one tier you will receive (5) points to use on class upgrades, making you a better warrior. Leveling up your class will yield better powers, such as poisoned arrows or meteor storm. You can also mix up your class; in my game I was half stealth and half sorcery, which gave me average powers since it was divided evenly between both. The second level up configuration is for special abilities, such as; sagecrafting, alchemy, dispelling cursed chests, lockpicking, blacksmithing and others. These classes and abilities are so simple to grasp; all you have to do is earn experience, get your level up notification and choose which ever skill you want out of a well designed and easy to understand level up chart. Also, you will meet many vendors through out Amalur known as “Fateweavers”, for a hefty price they will reassign all level up points back to you in the even that you would want to reassign your skills and abilities.
    Every game has its technical issues. Seldomly in Amalur you will encounter some texture pop ins and inaccurate voice overs, but overall the game flows very smooth considering its rapid hack-and-slash fighting style. For me, Amular takes overwhelming precedence over Skyrim in my videogame library. Even considering the fact that they are extremely different games, I found myself unenthused with Skyrim once I started my journey with Amalur. If you want to play a game that will involve you but not completely take away from your social life, Amalur is perfect for you. It is such a shame to hear about the bankruptcy of 38 Studios; if only more gamers took the time to read up on the game and play it, the developing company could have gotten the praise it deserved.
  8. Jul 28, 2013
    One of my favorite action RPGs of the Xbox 360 generation. Reminds my alot of the Fable franchise in a lot of ways which to me is a good thing. Loved the colorful art style and the fluid combat. Actually one of my top ten 360 games of all time.
  9. Jul 14, 2013
    This game should be renamed Kingdoms of Amalur: 1001 dull side quests. Even the main story itself unfolded as nothing more than going on simple scavenger hunts, on after another. There was nothing compelling storywise, which is a shame because the premise of the world of Amalur is very interesting. but not when you present the saga in a MMO format. I'm not here with my friends on lineThis game should be renamed Kingdoms of Amalur: 1001 dull side quests. Even the main story itself unfolded as nothing more than going on simple scavenger hunts, on after another. There was nothing compelling storywise, which is a shame because the premise of the world of Amalur is very interesting. but not when you present the saga in a MMO format. I'm not here with my friends on line just to level up and gain loot, I wanted to play an epic solo rpg. But, after 19 days and 102 real game time hours, Kingdoms of Amalur has left very little impression on me. I stayed away from this game originally because of its characture artwork and oversized weapons because I just couldn't take a game too seriously when it looks like a cartoon. But with the drought of rpg games this past year (Mass Effect 3 rpg of the year. LOL) I downloaded the demo and was intriguied. I have to say that this world is impressive with the artwork, lore, the writing, the voice acting, and all the side quests they put into it; yet, as far an entertaining solo-game is concerened, it doesn't come together. The missions are so simple and non-eventful that it becomes dull after so many hours. Amalur plays like a game where The Elder Scrolls had a one-night stand with War of Warcraft and left their offspring on the doorstep of Fable to be raised. I recognize the effort they put into this, but the direction of how it was to entertain me falls short. Expand
  10. Jul 11, 2013
    I loved this game it was so entertaining and loveable the graphics where so nice as well.This is a good game [worth a try] I'm sad that there company field bankruptcy I could see them making good games for next gen if they where still here
  11. May 30, 2013
    The gameplay is good, the graphics are bright and colorful and there is a lot to do in this game. I like the combat a lot, but I personally detest the way it uses its shields and the bows were lacking for me. Definitely worth checking out.
  12. May 5, 2013
    a crazy fun RPG with a combat system that should defiantly be in more games. some of the quests in this game can be repetitive but that's nothing compared to how fun the rest if the game is
  13. Apr 27, 2013
    KoA is breath of fresh air from modern WRPGs. The combat is excellent, the graphics suit the game perfectly and make for some beautiful views. The sheer amount of items, armor, weapons, and potions in this game is absolutely amazing. How the developers managed to put the huge world, hundreds of settlements, and tens of thousands of NPCs on one disc is astonishing. My only gripe withKoA is breath of fresh air from modern WRPGs. The combat is excellent, the graphics suit the game perfectly and make for some beautiful views. The sheer amount of items, armor, weapons, and potions in this game is absolutely amazing. How the developers managed to put the huge world, hundreds of settlements, and tens of thousands of NPCs on one disc is astonishing. My only gripe with this game are the NPC animations when talking to them. They're stiff as a rod and show little emotions.

Overall, this game is a must have for anybody with an Xbox and a love for beautiful worlds and fun combat.
  14. Apr 26, 2013
    One of the best games Ive played and by far the best fantasy RPG's. The sheer amount of content is crazy as the world is huge, but mostly it one of the most beautiful games ive ever played. The best part is the true combat system. The combat is real time and direct unlike most MMO's which if they ever make this into an MMO i hope they keep the amazing fast combat system. The amount ofOne of the best games Ive played and by far the best fantasy RPG's. The sheer amount of content is crazy as the world is huge, but mostly it one of the most beautiful games ive ever played. The best part is the true combat system. The combat is real time and direct unlike most MMO's which if they ever make this into an MMO i hope they keep the amazing fast combat system. The amount of customization of weapons, characters, and powers, you have is by far the greatest in execution and orginization. The world is huge and provided dozens if not hundreds of hours of gameplay. It is a shame this game was so underrated. Being a new IP i feel like it got hurt by Skyrim, which when you compare them side by side, it really is a far better game both in combat, beauty and customization. Amalur gets u in the game and going right away and makes you care, where as Skyrim has a insufferbly long and boring first two three hours. People complain about Amalur having boring and repetitive NPC's which is kinda true, but singling out Amalur is kinda unfair since the entire genre of open world rpg's have the game problem becuase they havent found a cost effect way to vary up the hundreds of npcs and voice actors on the map. It really isnt that noticeible as the world changes and the enemies are extremely varied. It will make u want to explore and find new weapons and new armor. It lets you choose your combat style in a better way then other games. This game is in my top 5, and i highly recommend it even for people not used to the fantasy genre. Let's support this awesome new IP so we can get a sequel. Expand
  15. Apr 10, 2013
    As a huge Skyrim fan, in many ways KoA is better. Everything is less grindy, combat is more fun, difficulty balance is better, inventory is more fluid (go "junk" category), alchemy is much less random guessing. The high fantasy graphics are gorgeous, and the setting is highest fantasy. On the other side, it feels more sterile and plasticy than Skyrim, which will bother some people moreAs a huge Skyrim fan, in many ways KoA is better. Everything is less grindy, combat is more fun, difficulty balance is better, inventory is more fluid (go "junk" category), alchemy is much less random guessing. The high fantasy graphics are gorgeous, and the setting is highest fantasy. On the other side, it feels more sterile and plasticy than Skyrim, which will bother some people more than others. Treasure is a bit monty hall; You'll collect so much stuff, it loses the excitement of discovery. The camera angles sometimes feel off, as if it focuses too downward. Gnomes are a poor aesthetic choice, IMO. Expand
  16. Mar 15, 2013
    The Pro:
    Great graphics, reminds me of a better version of fable. The con:
    The Pro:
    Great graphics, reminds me of a better version of fable. The con:
    Messes with you eyes when rotating the camera(has some horrible blurry effect), Can't zoom in and out of the camera angle and you can only jump at the edge of ledges (which that part is fine because of fable). I'll have to say I really can't force myself to play it because despite the awesome game that it is, the con side really prevents my enjoyment and ability to carry on.
  17. Feb 8, 2013
    This game is pretty good. There's a lot of quests in each area, you can create weapons and give them special properties, travel in large areas filled with monsters you fight, and many more. The combat is good but feels repetitive unless you use combos and try other weapons. The story is good but it feels like it could have been better and more engrossing. Overall though this is a great game.
  18. Jan 27, 2013
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a very good game, if you're an RPG fan then KoA will be a welcome addition to your collection, just don't expect anything revolutionary. KoA is a beautiful game, the environments and character models and all lovely, it's just a shame that the camera has been angled in such an obstructive and annoying way. There is a very high level of characterKingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a very good game, if you're an RPG fan then KoA will be a welcome addition to your collection, just don't expect anything revolutionary. KoA is a beautiful game, the environments and character models and all lovely, it's just a shame that the camera has been angled in such an obstructive and annoying way. There is a very high level of character customisation in this game which is great. The skill and levelling systems are executed very well, it's fun to distribute your skill points amongst the 3 disciplines and skills such as blacksmithing and sagecrafting are fun to experiment with, but this is really just more of the same that we have seen from other games. The story is fairly unique, however there are only 1 or 2 interesting characters in the whole game. NPC's feel lifeless! Combat is where this game really shines, there are an insane number of weapons and spells to experiment with, delivering combos is fun and tactile, the 3 disciplines are pretty well balanced. There is an absurd amount of content in this game, after completing the main story, I had barely even scraped the surface; it's just a shame that most quests are your generic kill and fetch quests. The world is huge and a pleasure to explore. Overall KoA is a great game, it just doesn't really try anything new. It's not RPG of the decade, but it's still pretty fun to play. Expand
  19. Dec 27, 2012
    I don't know why great games like this don't sell, this game is better than Skyrim, if you deny that you're not an Rpg fan, I'm really sad this game didn't sell well, this is one of the best games I have ever played, please, do yourself a favour and go buy this game if you're a real gamer
  20. Dec 19, 2012
    All in all, I liked the game a ton, I felt that is brought a lot to the table in terms of ways you could play your character. But I'm afraid the replay value just wasn't there for me, I know I could create another class to play and such, but I just didn't feel it. This game would do well to make it feel more open world, and less like the main story is drawing you in. I only drifted fromAll in all, I liked the game a ton, I felt that is brought a lot to the table in terms of ways you could play your character. But I'm afraid the replay value just wasn't there for me, I know I could create another class to play and such, but I just didn't feel it. This game would do well to make it feel more open world, and less like the main story is drawing you in. I only drifted from the main story twice, mostly cause I didn't feel like the side quests were even interesting. It does well to drag you into the main story line but I feel like it did a fairly bad job at making you interested in the world overall. The story to me was relatively short and the ending very dissatisfying unless they plan a sequel. Which if they don't do a sequel then this game might as well just be tossed away cause you learned nothing of what you truly are. Apparently you are a protector of destiny or something but it doesn't really delve into it too much, I loved the overall story IDEA but the background behind it was relatively dissatisfying. I felt this game shouldn't taken a more God of War/Dante's Inferno approach to combat. The final boss was extremely awesome looking but the mechanics weren't all that revolutionary or fun, but the boss itself was cool. Overall a sequel I'd definitely rent it, but I don't think I'd buy it, not that no one else should but I think you should rent it for a few days before you decide whether to buy it. Expand
  21. Dec 11, 2012
    I utterly loved this game. It really brought me back to the old school faceless hero RPGs of old. I have played this through multiple times now and I can not get bored with it. I will admit it lays the fantasy lore/cliches on pretty thick at first but once you make it through the first act it feels like a Journey. Artwork is fantastic, combat is unique and fresh, voice acting is alrightI utterly loved this game. It really brought me back to the old school faceless hero RPGs of old. I have played this through multiple times now and I can not get bored with it. I will admit it lays the fantasy lore/cliches on pretty thick at first but once you make it through the first act it feels like a Journey. Artwork is fantastic, combat is unique and fresh, voice acting is alright but the lip syncing could have been better. This is a dungeon crawler action RPG fan's wildest fantasy and in my books the best game of 2012. I'm sure there are allot of people who also don't like the game, and I really think it'S a shame you didn't like it as much I did. Expand
  22. Nov 22, 2012
    One of the best games around, Reckoning delivers a good story but its real strength is the fluent game-play. The hybrid skill trees allow you to combine the classic mage/warrior/rogue combat styles with one another to your liking. Although the mage seems somewhat too strong, the classes are well executed and each allows a different game-play. This is one of the strengths of Reckoning: theOne of the best games around, Reckoning delivers a good story but its real strength is the fluent game-play. The hybrid skill trees allow you to combine the classic mage/warrior/rogue combat styles with one another to your liking. Although the mage seems somewhat too strong, the classes are well executed and each allows a different game-play. This is one of the strengths of Reckoning: the experience is flawlessly fluent whatever you want to do as the controls remain simple yet effective (e.g. dodging is easy when well timed). While the main game is vast but not overly complex as the Elder Scrolls series sometimes seems to be, allowing for lots of hours for a single play-through, the real strength lies with the DLCs. They add a new layer of humour to the game which is simply amazing and makes Reckoning the best of its kind for me, even considering Skyrim, Darksiders and the other high-rated titles it draws from. This is the only game where I have bothered to unlock all achievements as it is just that great to explore the whole world available. A must have if you like the genre. Expand
  23. Nov 14, 2012
    Shame the company is gone, was a great game. Had heaps of fun playing it and despite some minor problems this was a great game! Find a game and play it now!
  24. Nov 2, 2012
    Complete WEAK SAUCE!

What kind of crack are the reviewers smoking who say it is "deep" or "complete"? Boring character models, repetitive combat, and a skill level that reminds me of Skylanders: Spyros Adventure for 4-10 year olds. Quests are shallow, getting better gear makes barely a difference. I was dominating everything within a few hours, even on high difficulty. LAME!
    Complete WEAK SAUCE!

World is not very "open"

Good points fiction is OK, scope and size good
  25. Oct 30, 2012
    Reckoning has good graphics, a nice class system and very good controls, the story is average, but the biggest problem I encountered in this game is that there are so many side quests, but none of them makes sense and are absolutly not necessary. The faction missions are boring and tedious. The world is full with invisible walls. There is an online pass, even for PC, and there is no onlineReckoning has good graphics, a nice class system and very good controls, the story is average, but the biggest problem I encountered in this game is that there are so many side quests, but none of them makes sense and are absolutly not necessary. The faction missions are boring and tedious. The world is full with invisible walls. There is an online pass, even for PC, and there is no online mode in Reckoning. Yet, I enjoyed this game and I will certainly buy the second Kingdoms of Amalur. Expand
  26. Oct 17, 2012
    Yawn. Whilst KOA:R has it's moments, it's just too repetitive and tiresome overall to be deemed as anything more than a filler. The lush graphics and Fable-esq music create a superb fairy-tale environment, and the combat is good - often allowing for free-flowing, fun battles - however it's just a shame that there's no real game to back all that up. After a while even the combat becomesYawn. Whilst KOA:R has it's moments, it's just too repetitive and tiresome overall to be deemed as anything more than a filler. The lush graphics and Fable-esq music create a superb fairy-tale environment, and the combat is good - often allowing for free-flowing, fun battles - however it's just a shame that there's no real game to back all that up. After a while even the combat becomes boring simply because of the complete lack of challenge once you've hit the level 15-20 mark (which is barley a 1/3 of the way into the game), and all those environments count for nothing when you realize that they contain nothing but dull quest/character after dull quest/character. In fact I really can't overstate how dull and underdeveloped most of these characters are. Very rarely does the overall story ark ever feel relevant, and something else which doesn't help matters is the fact that the loot system just means you're constantly tripping over crap items and forever organizing junk. Also, the leveling system (which has received so much praise) actually hinders you for the first 5-10 levels as you try and figure out how to play - it's messy and unsatisfying, with me only finding any real fun in playing a Chakram wielding sorcerer. There's certainly some good to be found in KOA:R, and for around 10 hours I really enjoyed it, but 10 hours out of a 200-odd hour package is a small percentage and there's just so much work involved in getting to those good bits that after a while you really can't be bothered. Expand
  27. Sep 19, 2012
    A good game for wondering around and mindlessy destroying stuff etc. dhfsdjkfhs shishjkfds sdfjkhkfdsh fsdjkjdsfh jikfdsh kjfds hiosjf hjkds fjikf hjkfsdh jikjkfsd hjisdf hkjhsf ji fhf kj sdf jfdshjfdk s fdsjh fdsjkd fsxjkhfsf sf jkf skj h ji fdskj s jik fds
  28. Sep 7, 2012
    If your a big fan of World of Warcraft, Fable or Skyrim, you'll love Kingdoms of amalur. This game has alot to offer. Some thing could be better but thats minor. Open world to explore. Awesome controlls. Graphics look good as well (looks like WOW). Once you pick it up you won't put it down for awhile. Worth a look and the money!
  29. Aug 31, 2012
    I was still mourning having finished Skyrim when I bought this game. My initial impressions of the cartoon graphics were not good, but they grew on me. I still don't think much of the character progression. But the story lines are brilliant. Far more adult than witcher 2 (but then witcher 2 confused 'swearing' with 'adult'). No spoilers from me, but the Fae story lines in particular, wereI was still mourning having finished Skyrim when I bought this game. My initial impressions of the cartoon graphics were not good, but they grew on me. I still don't think much of the character progression. But the story lines are brilliant. Far more adult than witcher 2 (but then witcher 2 confused 'swearing' with 'adult'). No spoilers from me, but the Fae story lines in particular, were really excellent. A brilliant 'open world' RPG game which I've already played through twice. Definitely up there with Skyrim. Expand
  30. Aug 2, 2012
    This game rocks, it's pretty simple. Every time I play KoA I think that it is what Fable should have been. It's fun, huge and has some of the best gameplay of a game in the RPG genre. Unlike many recent releases BHG should be commended on the minimal amount of bugs. This game is huge and I have never once lost progress because the game locked up.

The only thing that stops this game from

The only thing that stops this game from being legendary is the story. While it does enough to keep you interested, I found that most of the side quests overshadowed the main campaign (Webwood and House of Ballads come to mind). Overall KoA is a fun and addictive game. It's not a game for the ages but will keep you interested from Allestar to Alabastra.
  31. Jun 28, 2012
    This game is utterly fantastic without a doubt one of the best games I have ever played and ironically it came out 1 week before Mass Effect 3 In England and cost me less than half as much as I paid for Mass Effect 3 collectors editions which is not only a total rip off but the worst game in living memory,so thank God for KOA as it has restored my faith in gaming.
  32. Jun 26, 2012
    Don´t pay attention to what the haters say, this game is good. Well, It just don´t get max because of the bugs. that aren't really bad like in Fallout New Vegas that just crashes suddenly. Some items can´t be stashed that´s all. This game is great, there are so many things to do that sometimes you even don't know what to do first, spent more than 30 hours in theDon´t pay attention to what the haters say, this game is good. Well, It just don´t get max because of the bugs. that aren't really bad like in Fallout New Vegas that just crashes suddenly. Some items can´t be stashed that´s all. This game is great, there are so many things to do that sometimes you even don't know what to do first, spent more than 30 hours in the game and i´m not near the middle of the game yet. The combat system is what Skyrim should be, very dynamic and fun. Really, i didn't bought Skyrim for exactly the same reason that I bought this one: the combat system. It already one of the best games of all time for me. Brought back the hardcore gamer that i used to be. Wasn't playing nothing the last couple of weeks for more than 30 minutes a day more or less and now since i bought this game I played for more than 30 hours...Just loved it.
    It´s really a shame that 38 studios went bankrupt because of all the sick haters that steal the game downloading for free or buying pirated copies....and in the end even come here and say the game is **** just to justify they mediocre attitude of not supporting the game companies: " Oh that´s why I didn't bought it, just downloaded to see and it sucked"...yeah right....pathetic... really
  33. Jun 26, 2012
    I made the mistake, when I first started playing this game, of doing every single quest in an area before I moved on. Before I knew it, I'd massively out-leveled the game and every fight except golems and boss fights were one-AoE fights. And after I leave the Sidhe area, I stopped finding the quests nearly as engaging...and before long, I was basically checking my watch with every quest toI made the mistake, when I first started playing this game, of doing every single quest in an area before I moved on. Before I knew it, I'd massively out-leveled the game and every fight except golems and boss fights were one-AoE fights. And after I leave the Sidhe area, I stopped finding the quests nearly as engaging...and before long, I was basically checking my watch with every quest to see how much longer I had to do this. So I started to get back on track of just doing the main quests. Now I'm just trying to force myself to the end so I feel like I got my money's worth. The game is well made, sure, but it's just not that interesting or fun. And inventory management...that's never some I enjoy in a game. Expand
  34. Jun 25, 2012
    A beautiful, expansive game world with up to 120 hours of fun to be had. If Fable, Oblivion and Borderlands had a baby, this would be it. Take Borderland's loot fixation, Fable's fairy tale charm and Oblivion's size and ambition......You get Kingdoms of Amalur. Very polished game, good atmosphere and story lines. If you like RPG's, this is not to be missed. Especially after the so-calledA beautiful, expansive game world with up to 120 hours of fun to be had. If Fable, Oblivion and Borderlands had a baby, this would be it. Take Borderland's loot fixation, Fable's fairy tale charm and Oblivion's size and ambition......You get Kingdoms of Amalur. Very polished game, good atmosphere and story lines. If you like RPG's, this is not to be missed. Especially after the so-called "RPG" called Mass Effect 3 was such a shambolic disappointment Expand
  35. Jun 12, 2012
    This game is awesome. I can understand why some gamers would be unhappy with it as it does take ideas from a number of different games. Even so, the makers never denied that they did that. For me this game is fun because it reminds me of games such as Fable and Skyrim, but there is more to it then that. Its just really fun, so if you are looking for a fun RPG I would recommend KoA.
  36. Jun 10, 2012
    It is very unfortunate that the developer is experiencing financial troubles (troubles that aren't even tied to Reckoning), because this game, while not a groundbreaking original, has tons of upside. It is one of the more enjoyable RPGs I have played.

Reckoning has some cons though all can be easily overlooked and none, in my opinion, take away from the game. First, the world has a huge history but a lot of the side quests you encounter could be left out. These sides try to introduce characters and Amaulran history to you in a scavenger hunt fashion. The spoils you receive are usually worth it but the dialogue choices you have to sit through at times bog down the flow of the game. I am currently a level 23 with 25+ hours of play and I have found that a lot of the armor and weapons I am finding while out in the world are repeating. Even when I am finding upgraded weapons or armor they appear in my inventory as carbon copies of lesser items. Nothing major I would just like more individual pieces. The side quests also tend to seem very repetive. Go here and kill these monsters and bring this item back to me for this reward. Then the reward you are given turns out to be a weaker weapon or piece of armor than you already have. Kinda unnecessary. Again, it's nothing that hurts the game as a whole.

The game does have a huge map. While a lot of the history is generic and lacks depth the map does allow a lot of new places to discover with plenty of enemies to kill. Leveling is probably the highlight of Reckoning. The class/dynasty system is very cool and allows limitless choices. I had started has a rogue/assassin and at level 18 decided to wipe my "fate" clean and realign my skills. I am now a battle mage who uses a great sword and chakrams instead of an assassin who uses daggers and a long sword. The game also has some pretty fun DLC available tha offer added hours of gameplay as well as offering more weapons and armor.

All in all Reckoning doesnt offer a deep, highly immersive story like Mass Effect or Dragon Age. It also doesn't have a super realistic graphics engine like Skyrim or Dark Souls. Reckoning chose to go the World of Warcraft route but it works so well for the game. What Reckoning does offer is a combat system that is second to none along with a leveling system that is infinitely adjustable. Replay is huge not even including the many DLC that are available. 150+ hours is probably a low estimate. I gave it a 9. I think people rate it lower because they try to compare it to games like Skyrim and Dark Souls. It really doesn't compare to those games. In some ways it is so much better. But in no area is it truly lacking. If you are interested in an action RPG don't hesitate to buy!
  37. Jun 9, 2012
    I just finished the game on the Xbox and did find it incredibly boring. 30 hours into the game I couldnâ
  38. Jun 4, 2012
    A well polished yet unremarkable RPG with the aesthetics of WoW/Fable, the combat of God of War and the game world mechanics of Skyrim. GOOD: Wonderfully detailed environments with an impressively huge world to explore; Massive amounts of customisation for character levelling allowing you to create many different builds; Fairly decent story that could become very interesting if built uponA well polished yet unremarkable RPG with the aesthetics of WoW/Fable, the combat of God of War and the game world mechanics of Skyrim. GOOD: Wonderfully detailed environments with an impressively huge world to explore; Massive amounts of customisation for character levelling allowing you to create many different builds; Fairly decent story that could become very interesting if built upon in further sequels; Tons of loot to find and a nice clear weapon system; Superb combat mechanics that are easy to understand. BAD: Camera struggles during battles leading to unnecessary deaths as you become unable to see attacking enemies off-screen; Combat isn't particularly challenging as there is no stamina bar present so you can essentially stun-lock almost any enemy to death; Dialogue with NPCs is odd with a random mixture of list based options like Skyrim and a conversation wheel like Mass Effect; Invisible walls are present everywhere which severely reduces mobility as you must walk an entire stretch of a cliff just to find that one part where the game allows you to jump down; Enemy types are unremarkable and generally unthreatening making many enemy encounters really quite dull. OVERALL: KoA:R is a great, fun RPG with a brilliant combat and levelling system and a colourful world. Yet there's no denying that the overall package is really quite generic with a plethora of borrowed game mechanics which are presented in uninteresting ways. This game so obviously wants to marry itself with Skyrim, but in doing so it completely loses any sense of identity. And with genre re-defining RPGs like Dark Souls, The Witcher 2 and even Dragon's Dogma around, KoA:R struggles to find its place. But if you're after a solid straight forward RPG experience, this game might appeal. Just don't expect to find anything new here. Expand
  39. May 28, 2012
    KoA felt like it should be classified as more of an action RPG. The combat is super deep and well polished, and the main story is great, but the side quests, something that most RPGs put a lot of time into today, all felt the same, and they don't suck you into the story like the main one does. The graphics are hit or miss, the environments looked gorgeous, but the NPC faces all looked likeKoA felt like it should be classified as more of an action RPG. The combat is super deep and well polished, and the main story is great, but the side quests, something that most RPGs put a lot of time into today, all felt the same, and they don't suck you into the story like the main one does. The graphics are hit or miss, the environments looked gorgeous, but the NPC faces all looked like plastic. I really enjoyed KoA, and with hours and hours of gameplay, you should too. Expand
  40. May 25, 2012
    A different and unique Game,The art style is great,The graphics makes you happy,The music is like taken from a magical fantasy world. This game feels like a mix of fable and elder scrolls. and with a little bit of dragon age,the art style reminds me of world of warcraft,The story is that typical you are the chose one of some sort,I wont spoil to much for you.And sometimes it feels moreA different and unique Game,The art style is great,The graphics makes you happy,The music is like taken from a magical fantasy world. This game feels like a mix of fable and elder scrolls. and with a little bit of dragon age,the art style reminds me of world of warcraft,The story is that typical you are the chose one of some sort,I wont spoil to much for you.And sometimes it feels more like a action game then a RPG.And the lockpicking mini game is pretty weird and too easy,And the story seems a bit aimed for young kids and this game could use a more depth to it.Voice acting could have been better but its pretty good,No game is perfect.And this game would fit with a co-op system,i actually thought that when i got this game. But anyway,Kingdom of amalur is a good but mediocre game,And its difficult for those that come from other big rpg games like elder scrolls or dragon age to fall in love with this. Seems difficult to roleplay in this world and get to know its lore from what you are used too,But if youare a big rpg fan you gottatry this.its a fun game. Expand
  41. May 24, 2012
    Big colourful world which turns out to be very dull.. A few good moments.. some good combat for a while then becoming monotonous. The characters and story are just not worth investing in. You will have to have the patients of a saint once those cutscenes start to roll for the voice acting and characters are atrocious.. This is a game i can imagine a 10 year old liking.. maybe...
  42. May 22, 2012
    Awesome game! I love the cartoon graphics. Sick combat moves and great combos. Very good action/rpg. Im only 11hours and have only completed 2 main quest missions, but i have been killing the side missions. To me this game is like Zelda, & Elder Scrolls wrapped up in one, with HUGE bosses.
  43. May 18, 2012
    It's been a long time since I've gotten sucked into a game, I can lose track of hours while playing. This game is just plain fun and my score reflects that. Others don't like graphics or facial expressions or some random refresh thing or some blah blah about the story. I'm no expert on those things but I know when I'm having fun.
  44. May 17, 2012
    What's the deal with 0 reviews? I mean it's just not possible that any game could be worth 0/10 points. That's mathematically incorrect, because the scale can only go from 1 as the lowest point to 10 at the highest.
  45. May 15, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a good game, but that just it. Its simply a good game technically, visually, and gameplay wise. Everything in the game is good except the combat which is great. I wouldn't compare this game to skyrim or other rpg's like that. It more closely resembles the fable franchise and that type of third person action game. I look at the things they choose to focus onKingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a good game, but that just it. Its simply a good game technically, visually, and gameplay wise. Everything in the game is good except the combat which is great. I wouldn't compare this game to skyrim or other rpg's like that. It more closely resembles the fable franchise and that type of third person action game. I look at the things they choose to focus on in terms of world building and I am reminded of a MMO. Except this MMO is deserted and I'm the only one playing. If your going to make a MMO-esque experience like this I really think co-op needs to be seriously looked at. Other than that I just think the game is really middle of the road and didn't give me a reason to want to play for 100+ hours. I didn't even finish the main quest before I realized i was forcing my self to play it just to finish and that is not why i play games. Expand
  46. May 15, 2012
    Deep, but static. Pretty, but uninteresting. Fun, but largely repetitious. KoA is very much a mixed bag of good ideas, decent execution, and weak design choice. While It's deep character progression allows for many vastly different builds, your character largely remains flat and without means of showing any real personality - whether it be through player actions or through the story. TheDeep, but static. Pretty, but uninteresting. Fun, but largely repetitious. KoA is very much a mixed bag of good ideas, decent execution, and weak design choice. While It's deep character progression allows for many vastly different builds, your character largely remains flat and without means of showing any real personality - whether it be through player actions or through the story. The world, while very well design and interesting to look at is, sadly, very static. I never felt like I was actually part of the world, because it never felt that my actions left any real impact. This is a sad thing, being that it is something that usually pushes games of this type and size. Without it, it leaves the whole experience feeling rather flat. The combat, largely the game's strongest element, is very well done. It easily stands with some of the best titles in today's action games, and is certainly a highlight in today's action-rpg genre. At the same time, lacking many of the other elements seen in deeper roleplaying games, the game uses it's combat as a crutch, and, overtime, can become rather repetitious. KoA is not a bad game by any means. Between the good and the bad, I left having a pretty fun time with it. At the same time, I wish it the developers tried at something a little more. They created a large, nice looking world with an interesting story and faction quests, but left that world largely static, player choice largely non-existent, and the game itself too focused on the combat alone, tiring it's biggest pro long before the game ended. Expand
  47. May 3, 2012
    Well, i sure got sucked into the hype on this one. How could this game not be epic? Sure had all the makings... Rolston, Salvatore and McFarlane...awesome! Well what a clunker this turned out to be... I know this review is pretty far after the fact but I just wanted to add my 2 cents... I'll echo pretty much the same sentiments as the other negative reviewers. The biggest thing....it wasWell, i sure got sucked into the hype on this one. How could this game not be epic? Sure had all the makings... Rolston, Salvatore and McFarlane...awesome! Well what a clunker this turned out to be... I know this review is pretty far after the fact but I just wanted to add my 2 cents... I'll echo pretty much the same sentiments as the other negative reviewers. The biggest thing....it was BORING! By halfway through the game I was skipping all dialogue. The Lore was pretty in depth, and they tried to create an interesting story, but the delivery was painful! The only gesture npc's ever made was an arm sweep across their body, while your character stands there looking like a dumba$$ saying nothing, looking off into space, no expression. The second biggest problem, way WAY too easy.... i'm no gaming master, but even on hard i had no problem whatsoever. Maybe when i was surrounded by 5 priests blasting me with spells, but even then there's no limit on how many health potions you can carry/drink. Because of that i never felt the need to invest time in any sort of smithing or weapon/armour upgrading. It wasn't a completely horrible game though. The combat was fairly enjoyable even if it was just a button mash, you could mix it up enough to keep it entertaining. Being able to totally change your class or "fate" at any time was a nice touch. Also, it was an easy 1000 gamerscore if that kind of thing matters to you. Apparently this game started out as an MMO, it felt like one, empty and lifeless. In the end it also reminded me of another series i hate...Fable, at least Fable games have some personality and emotion. Frankly i'm amazed at the high scores this game got, did all those people actually play it in its entirety? Or did they play it for a few hours and write their reviews? If so i'd like to see what they think of it now. I'm playing Witcher 2 now and what a breath of fresh air that is, it's excellent in every way. Don't wast your time with this one.... Expand
  48. Apr 28, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur is better than 90 percent of other rpgs. if you like rpgs with deep stories and a great loot system you'll love kingdoms. combat always refreshing with lots of different ways to go. money well spent.
  49. Apr 25, 2012
    An RPG like KoA:Real should be more than this. The combat is engaging, but becomes repetitive, and fateshifting makes any battle a sinch. Even respecing your character somehow lacks the feeling of true customization. Frankly, I'm underwhelmed by every aspect, but character interactions deserve a special place in gaming hell. Your character looks like it's completely spaced out, and alwaysAn RPG like KoA:Real should be more than this. The combat is engaging, but becomes repetitive, and fateshifting makes any battle a sinch. Even respecing your character somehow lacks the feeling of true customization. Frankly, I'm underwhelmed by every aspect, but character interactions deserve a special place in gaming hell. Your character looks like it's completely spaced out, and always a little surprise by the horizon. Conversation scenes look like someone's class project, constantly recycling the same gestures. There is no feeling of immersion, and for a game of this scope, that's a death sentence in my book. This game could have been a contender, but this isn't horse shoes or hand grenades. Expand
  50. Apr 23, 2012
    Not a bad game. I do find it funny however that a lot of people want an old school game, but when comes along all they can do is **** about not being able to jump, not being open world, having too much junk loot or having to kill too many monsters. People must have a different memory than I do about old school games.

This game however is pretty good. The strength is definitely the

This game however is pretty good. The strength is definitely the fighting. It is a lot of fun although sometimes you can just mash buttons and do alright. The rest is O.K., if you donâ
  51. Apr 21, 2012
    Maybe I did not give it enough time, but I simply couldn't get into the game - I didn't get what I was supposed to do, the dialogues annoyed me and I felt like I ran around aimlessly, killing and looting. Graphics are ok - I think the lack of facial animation and the camera have more to do with why I didn't enjoy that aspect as much as the cartoony shading.
  52. Apr 15, 2012
    I've heard KOA: Reckoning being called many things, very few of them good, so naturally I wasn't entirely excited when I picked it up. I heard that most of the features borrowed heavily from Skyrim, and Fable, and played quite a bit like WOW. After playing it for god only knows how long I have come to understand these comparisons, although many of these judgement are wrongly placed.
    The
    The game play itself is actually quite close to a hack and slack game like God of War, where the combat is fluid, and fast paced, and attacking with a mage class weapon called Chakrams even are animated in a similar manner to those of Kratos' blades. However, this is not a bad thing. The class system is about as simple as any with three classes, and the combinations between them to make hybrid classes, and just as in every other fantasy game, the mage is still very much so the most overpowered class. The Chakrams for example are most of the time very powerful, and kill most things at the range a bow. Along with the typical combat and exploration of a fantasy game, the game has a lock picking mini-game which is nearly an exact copy from the Elder Scrolls, but easier by far O.o
    While the game has been dubbed "Baby's first Skyrim" I have to say that KOA is far more enjoyable then Skyrim. The combat is more fun, and adrenaline pumping, and while Skyrim felt more like work every time I turned on my console, KOA feels fun, LIKE A GAME SHOULD BE!!!
    The art design is bright and colourful like that of Fable, without the obvious British overtones, but some have actually complained saying the environments feel claustrophobic even though the world map is huge. The game world itself is actually very open, and highly detailed, more so the Skyrim, the problem is that the camera is angled down towards the ground most times, but once you tilt it up you can see highly textured skies and trees, or tunnel ceilings and rock.
    So why then is the camera angled down like that? you might ask. Well it's a lot like my right hand and the right hand of many other nerds: Beats the f*** out of me!
    The story is also quite well done, but after looking at the cover of the game I wasn't suprised to have a great story seeing it was created by R.A. Salvatore, Todd McFarlane, and ken Rolston who all have written very intriguing and engrossing fantasy stories before. Over all KOA: Reckoning is a great game, and it's a shame that so many will and have overlooked it since it released alongside many other AAA titles. The few errors I have with it are easily overlooked by the rest of the game. I however found it difficult to find in any store, so if you can find it, pick it up! Its an epic tale, in an epic environment (even though the camera hides that) with a colourful art design, and an epic score to go along with it. Well worth the purchase.
  53. Apr 14, 2012
    If you like fun, brutal combat, pretty fantasy graphics, and a long game, reckoning is for you. Its not dark, and gloomy like hardcore rpgs, like skyrim, or the witcher. The world reminds me of a fable mixed in with world of warcraft. Its pretty to look at, as well as the creative monsters it has. i dont want to go into to much detail. But if your interested in something different, in aIf you like fun, brutal combat, pretty fantasy graphics, and a long game, reckoning is for you. Its not dark, and gloomy like hardcore rpgs, like skyrim, or the witcher. The world reminds me of a fable mixed in with world of warcraft. Its pretty to look at, as well as the creative monsters it has. i dont want to go into to much detail. But if your interested in something different, in a creative way, reckoning is your game. Expand
  54. Apr 7, 2012
    I really wanted this game to be the next Elder Scrolls game. With the amount of hype this game had in addition to the top notch pedigree, you would have assumed. That's not to say that this isn't a good game, it just essentially falls short of what could've been greatness. It seems that the game contains all of the necessary ingredients for a legendary RPG, and still somehow manages toI really wanted this game to be the next Elder Scrolls game. With the amount of hype this game had in addition to the top notch pedigree, you would have assumed. That's not to say that this isn't a good game, it just essentially falls short of what could've been greatness. It seems that the game contains all of the necessary ingredients for a legendary RPG, and still somehow manages to fall short on literally every aspect. I actually give this game an 8.5, which is still very good. Before its release, the hype surrounding it tempted you with many amazing-sounding aspects of the game. When I finally went through all of these aspects, I realized that most of them are either very restricting or seriously lacking. The weapon and armor creation system does indeed allow you to create any weapon or armor from gathered materials, but it's restricted and generally downright boring. You break down materials from weapons and armor you collect in order to obtain these materials, but the final results end up being very limited. For instance, the traits of a created armor piece only allow you to select from categories which features you want, with a very limited amount of features in each category. Normally, I could've seen myself spending hours creating awesome weapons or armor, but seeing as how limited it is and the fact that they take 5 seconds to make, this entire prospect went out the window. Next, the combat in the game is actually extremely fun and smooth. Slicing enemies to bits with your greatsword and then summoning a flaming meteor from the sky is a breeze. The combat allows you to learn different moves with each particular weapon, allowing you to essentially create your own combos when you mix in spells as well. However, as mentioned earlier, the game falls short in every aspect, and this is no exception. With a game that maintains such a heavy focus on combat, you would think there would be a larger variety of enemies to kill. I mean, literally, you could count the types of enemies on two hands and probably have a finger or two left over. I'm not even exaggerating this at all. The enemies simply take on a slightly different name while maintaining the same appearance, which apparently qualifies as a different monster. For example: "Rock Troll, Mountain Troll, Prismere Troll". All have different names, and yet look and behave in the exact same way. This failure severely damages the overall entertainment of the game, causing me to become bored of gameplay after an hour of employing the same combat strategies since just about every monster is the same. Graphically, the game is decently impressive for this size, but it's cartoony WoW-esque appearance portrays it as a less serious RPG. On top of that, the music score is utterly horrible most of the time, making me feel like I'm playing a Disney game during combat. The leveling up system is decent enough, but as is the trend, falls short here as well. While it does allow you to invest points into a large variety of things, allowing you to become well-rounded, it also forces you to invest skills into worthless abilities that you will never use. I tried to become a spellsword (combo of magic and strength essentially), so naturally I use spells with a greatsword. I cannot become proficient with my greatsword to unlock all of its moves/combos because in order to do this, I must invest in other worthless abilities to unlock this tier. Therefore, I am essentially a spell-slinging guy who blindly swings his massive sword around without any real skill. Kind of a disappointment. The storyline lacks any real focus to it, pointing you to the other side of the continent frequently to where you have not yet been, eliminating the ability to fast travel. By the time you reach the destination, you've already forgotten why you're even there. There are a huge abundance of quests, but the majority are fetch quests that wind up taking you across the continent (again) and literally rewarding you with a handful of gold. I am also not exaggerating this. The majority of all quests reward you with a small amount of gold. Because of this, my interest of receiving an awesome unique weapon as a reward for a quest went down the toilet. The game contains an absurd amount of lore, but it's presented in such poor fashion. Imagine the game's lore as a pie. That pie is then slammed into your face. And then they expect you to eat the entire pie instantly. And since you cannot eat the entire pie instantly, much of it falls onto the floor, forever soiled. That is how the lore of the game is presented, with a great deal of it wasted because there is simply too much to take in. All complaints aside, KoA is still a very good game that can easily provide 100+ hours of gameplay, if you can force yourself to play it for that long. A huge open world with hundreds of quests await, however, if you're willing to give it a chance. Expand
  55. Apr 3, 2012
    What a great experience and I recommend this game to any GoW or Fable fan out there. Totally awesome once you get your hands on some chakram and really take advantage of the speed and finesse of this game. If the graphics were bumped up just a bit I would give it a 10. The score was epic in an Elfman'esque style and the character design is conceptually awesome. I went in not expecting suchWhat a great experience and I recommend this game to any GoW or Fable fan out there. Totally awesome once you get your hands on some chakram and really take advantage of the speed and finesse of this game. If the graphics were bumped up just a bit I would give it a 10. The score was epic in an Elfman'esque style and the character design is conceptually awesome. I went in not expecting such a great game. Get it! http://liquidgamer.podbean.com/ Expand
  56. Apr 3, 2012
    While it's not perfect, this game was realy fun to play. The combat system is great. The story and character interaction are avarage, but overall this game is worth it for the fun factor alone. I enjoyed it.
  57. Apr 1, 2012
    I was expecting a lot more, KOAR didn't drowned like many forgettable games out there but it's not a impressive game . With visuals like the Fable series, combat similar to Fable and and an interesting world may convince RPG fans. I'm not that person, but I'm fine that I played KOAR. The begining has its hits and miss and the conversations are hilarious , the facial animations of the mainI was expecting a lot more, KOAR didn't drowned like many forgettable games out there but it's not a impressive game . With visuals like the Fable series, combat similar to Fable and and an interesting world may convince RPG fans. I'm not that person, but I'm fine that I played KOAR. The begining has its hits and miss and the conversations are hilarious , the facial animations of the main characters is lifeless and the same description it's the same for the person talking to your avatar. Cartoonish violence filled with gory scenes it's a little bit out of contrast by the reason that everything is cute and out of place. However , if you're eager to try KoA and you want to play something fresh , the game delivers , while not the " perfect " recommendable game, you wont feel "stolen" or disappointed . Expand
  58. Mar 28, 2012
    Good solid game. Great looking combat. Huge amount of content. Nice character retraining options. Lacked a little variety. Could have had more believable NPCs.
  59. Mar 28, 2012
    I think Yahtzee summed it up nicely when he called this game 'baby's first Skyrim'. However, it does a disservice to Reckoning's fun hack-&-slash combat mechanics. Here's hoping there's a developer out there with the talent (and cash) to merge the expansive world of Skyrim with the engaging combat of Reckoning.
  60. Mar 25, 2012
    I'm having tons of fun playing this game. I love the colorful, pretty graphics and the crafting is awesome too--naming my gear is rocking. I don't really care that my protagonist is silent--hint to devs, not everyone wants or likes voiced player characters in an RPG--but the writing feels a bit rushed in that I'm not sure if I'm getting all the info I need so I usually just scrollI'm having tons of fun playing this game. I love the colorful, pretty graphics and the crafting is awesome too--naming my gear is rocking. I don't really care that my protagonist is silent--hint to devs, not everyone wants or likes voiced player characters in an RPG--but the writing feels a bit rushed in that I'm not sure if I'm getting all the info I need so I usually just scroll through all the selections anyhow. Lots of fun and I won't be putting this one down for a while. Expand
  61. Mar 24, 2012
    A game that has its technical flaws (namely a camera, to be precise), but nonetheless acts as a refresher for the out-done RPG genre. Kingdoms of Amalur offers an expansive world with more than enough content to be worth the cost, and an art style that stands out from most other RPGs, which are now all going for a much more "realistic" tone. The combat and many mechanics are reminiscent ofA game that has its technical flaws (namely a camera, to be precise), but nonetheless acts as a refresher for the out-done RPG genre. Kingdoms of Amalur offers an expansive world with more than enough content to be worth the cost, and an art style that stands out from most other RPGs, which are now all going for a much more "realistic" tone. The combat and many mechanics are reminiscent of both The Elder Scrolls and Fable, but KoA: R manages to put a new spin on them to keep one entertained. Worth renting, if not anything else, makes for a good game if you can't decide on a few. Expand
  62. rhe
    Mar 23, 2012
    When I wanted to write this review I had to think about it for a long while. This is mainly because I had to consider a lot about the game and now when fully thinking about it the combat is extremely fun and frantic but apart from that this game feels like an extremely safe, by-the-book RPG that has very little else to entice gamer's which it's other RPG contemporaries do at greaterWhen I wanted to write this review I had to think about it for a long while. This is mainly because I had to consider a lot about the game and now when fully thinking about it the combat is extremely fun and frantic but apart from that this game feels like an extremely safe, by-the-book RPG that has very little else to entice gamer's which it's other RPG contemporaries do at greater level's. The voice acting runs the gambit from passable to pretty bad and none of the characters stood out enough to be memorable. While there is a good amount of regular loot drops to let out the loot hoarder in you if you go to a merchant they will almost always have better weapons than your own loot weapons which takes the fun out of it because it removes the sense of achievement you get from getting the rare piece of loot since the store will have something which makes it inferior. However, the high fantasy setting is very well built and the lore stones were very helpful as they provided useful insight into the world of Amalur. In addition to this, the graphics are beautiful and the art style works very well in creating this beautiful world. Yet even when all of this is taken into account I simply can't get over the fact that while the game was very good while I was playing it I got bored after i finished the main story because it just felt that there wasn't enough of a push to get me to go through all those side quest's and the rewards for the side quests don't do enough to keep me interested. Overall I would give this game an 8 because irrespective of these faults i still thoroughly did enjoy my time with this game and am quite a strong fan of RPG's which will probably color my impressions of the game. Expand
  63. Mar 21, 2012
    I wanted to like this game so bad. I had high hopes for this game, so i went and bought it on launch day. I initially loved it, the combat was great, the story wasnt awful, and the voice acting great. Though as I continued I found that the combat was repetitive, the quests were all the same (basically fetch quests). Maybey this just isnt my kind of game. For right now i think i'llI wanted to like this game so bad. I had high hopes for this game, so i went and bought it on launch day. I initially loved it, the combat was great, the story wasnt awful, and the voice acting great. Though as I continued I found that the combat was repetitive, the quests were all the same (basically fetch quests). Maybey this just isnt my kind of game. For right now i think i'll stick with TES and Dragon age Expand
  64. Mar 19, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amular was originally planned as an mmo,but was later changed to a single player game for unknown reasons.however I must say I really like this game allot.the game play and story are great and you still get that feeling you're playing an mmo.I have to say that I enjoy a good story about elves,dwarves,ect since I like sci-fi this was a great investment to feed my RPG needs.KOAKingdoms of Amular was originally planned as an mmo,but was later changed to a single player game for unknown reasons.however I must say I really like this game allot.the game play and story are great and you still get that feeling you're playing an mmo.I have to say that I enjoy a good story about elves,dwarves,ect since I like sci-fi this was a great investment to feed my RPG needs.KOA is a must play. Expand
  65. Mar 18, 2012
    The story of this game is awful and the people dont make me give a little care about the mission, the graphics are childish and too colorful. the sound is awful. the gameplay combat is pretty good - even excellent but there is too much problems in the game for it too be a good game.
  66. Mar 18, 2012
    This game is awesome. Has a fantastic combat system and an interesting world. But the game gets a bit boring after you beat it. There's so much loot in the game that you can't use because you didn't level it correctly. So it leaves me only caring if it's a certain type of loot with better stats. If not I sell it and move on. It feels like it's missing something, but is well worth buyingThis game is awesome. Has a fantastic combat system and an interesting world. But the game gets a bit boring after you beat it. There's so much loot in the game that you can't use because you didn't level it correctly. So it leaves me only caring if it's a certain type of loot with better stats. If not I sell it and move on. It feels like it's missing something, but is well worth buying it. I see myself returning to it some day soon, but not too soon. Expand
  67. Mar 13, 2012
    There were to many samey side quests. Go here, kill x amount of y and bring back 12 of their such and such. There was never a point where I felt like I needed to continue playing because neither the story nor the gameplay were engrossing enough to continue. The combat is just hammer X to win, the ranged combat is just terrible (I don't know why they thought autolock and replenishing arrowsThere were to many samey side quests. Go here, kill x amount of y and bring back 12 of their such and such. There was never a point where I felt like I needed to continue playing because neither the story nor the gameplay were engrossing enough to continue. The combat is just hammer X to win, the ranged combat is just terrible (I don't know why they thought autolock and replenishing arrows was a good thing.), and I never got into the magic part of it. All in all it was a disappointing game and I really did want to like it but it was just so damn mediocre and bland. Expand
  68. Mar 13, 2012
    Go play Fable, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fallout - really any other RPG. KOA is a huge let down. Boring story, generic acting, generic characters, generic quests, generic everything. The decent combat is not enough to save this game. You are better off playing another PG, trust me.
  69. Mar 13, 2012
    (BTW my score means NOTHING. Score is in no way more informative than the Review. Read. Now.)
    Kingdoms of Amalur, where o where do i begin. Well let's start with the positive then move onto the worst parts shall we? Alrighty then.
    Ahem, Kingdoms of Amalur has combat that carves our it's own little niche. It IS just that distinct, if you've seen the trailer for the game then you've seen that combat works like a cross between a fighting game and a regular RPG. For instance, ever wanted to use a Greatsword and then immediately switch to Daggers to get a Air combo? You can. And, it's customisible. Oh, what do i mean you ask? Well, what i mean is that the trailer shows NEXT TO NOTHING about just how many different combos you can get, Greatsword airlaunch into Dagger combo is not even scratching the surface, you could spend hours, if not DAYS doing the different combos, so combat will never, ever, get old. Not to mention just how Flexible your character can be, ever wanted to use magic will Pimp slappin' **** with a Hammer? You can! Ever wanted to Shanky-ity Shank people but still able to attack enemies in direct combat without having to run like a **** You can! Ever wanted to be all three types of fighter? (Warrior Rogue Mage) You can!
    One of the other things that makes this game different is the Art style, see, i still to this day play Oblivion. Why? Simple. I like Manga, so playing a game that looks SO MUCH like a cartoon just comes like breathing, and as such my opinion on the Art style is tainted, really, as it's a personal fav that makes me like cartoon art styles. So just watch the Trailer and decide for yourself if you like looking at the game, anyways now i have to, unfortunetly, get on to the WORST this game has to offer.
    Ahem, the environments, they are so god damn unoriginal it HURTS, i played Oblivion and was mesmerised by the sheer beauty of the game because of its sheer simplicity; It doesn't create memorable environments, it creates FAMILIAR environments, because, the way the game was made was that it was a Textbook Fantasy game, and as such, everything you did in the game ment you could be the Hero (Or the Villian) Of a story. Amalur however tries and falls flat on its face when trying to replicate such an iconic theme, what i mean is, Amalur is sooo distant from Textbook fantasy you can't relate to it, but it doesn't go so far as say, Morrwind, in where being in a unfamiliar place with strange people made it GOOD, Amalur does it in such a way that makes it BAD, and as such, the environments (Despite being wonderfully colourful) scuk major ass. Nothing is memorable, and nothing feels like you could relate to it, but not so strongly it was interesting. Now the soundtrack, is decent, now don't get me wrong, i don't hate the music, but i don't like it either. The music fits, but out of context, it would be terrible, and as such, that's my opinion of it; Good in game bad outside of it. And one thing i'd like to mention is that the Title screen theme for the game sounds like Spiderman. Seriously. SPIDERMAN.
    Oh, yes, lets talk about the Characters. Now, again, don't get me wrong, there are interesting Characters at every turn, BUT THAT'S JUST THE PROBLEM. They try TOO hard to make interesting Characters. For instance, in the very first town in the game, you meet this woman that is waiting for her Husband to come home from the war that's going on. But while out exploring you find; gasp; a Death Notice that says that her Husband died. And when you tell her, she says, and i kid you not, "Oh my hubby has returned to me! Thank you!". Yep, as it turns out, she was waiting for his Death Notice; Not him. While yes, this seems at first like all the side quests are good, no, there not. For instance, one can get tired of the Royal treatment very, very quickly in this game, you could get emotionally invested in this character, only for you to have to say Goodbye 10 minutes later. It's frustrating when every GOOD character, every character that you can actually feel emotions towards, just gets benched 5 minutes afterwards. Why couldn't they have, i don't know, maybe, HAVE THESE CHARACTERS CONTRIBUTE TO THE PLOT AFTER YOU DO A SIDE QUEST FOR THEM! Geez, what a missed opportunity 38.
    Now onto the story, the Main story falls flat on it's face as it is generic, with no real reason to do it beside just to get those Achievement points and "Advance the plot". HA! Like it was that good.
    Overall i have to say that if you want a game to play, get this game. It's pure fun spoiled just by the stupid plot and bland environments. BUT, if you want another Mass Effect, then look elsewhere.
  70. Mar 12, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an action RPG that copies a lot mechanically from other games, but does so very well, and puts it in a beautiful and interesting world.

The game has combat and skills similar to Skyrim with equipment and abilities similar to Diablo and dialogue mechanics similar to Bioware RPG's. For me, the combination works incredibly well, and provides interesting character build options paired with interesting combat. This is really one of few RPG's where I really enjoyed dungeon diving.

The game's setting, Amalur, is very interesting. The story has been good so far (after 60 hours of play, haven't reached the end yet), but I've really enjoyed completing the side quests, and figuring what's wrong in each region. I especially enjoyed a fight with a powerful gnome that ends in smashing him through a stained glass window... it was intense but still hilarious. The game is non-linear, but it's clear that the game expects you to do thing in a certain order; people kept telling me details that didn't make sense because I did many missions way out of order. Graphically, the world is beautiful and very bright, which is a welcome change from a lot of games. The music and sound are decent.

My biggest complaint is that the game expects you to understand a lot of fantasy jargon right from the start. It took me forever to remember what an "alfar" was, among many other terms.

Overall, this game has kept me happily occupied for quite some time now, and it's been a great way to kill the massive amount of free time I've been stuck with. This is one of my new favorite RPG's of all time. $60 is a lot of money, but it will be worth it for RPG fans. Anyone else that can enjoy a rich fantasy world will find a lot to like here.
  71. Mar 10, 2012
    After playing the demo for this game I was very excited to play this game and chose it over The Darkness 2 to buy even though I had played and LOVED The Darkness 1. At first I thought I had made the right choice but as I continued to play the game I discovered that I wasn't really having any fun. I completed the game, doing all the side quests and faction quests and almost all of theAfter playing the demo for this game I was very excited to play this game and chose it over The Darkness 2 to buy even though I had played and LOVED The Darkness 1. At first I thought I had made the right choice but as I continued to play the game I discovered that I wasn't really having any fun. I completed the game, doing all the side quests and faction quests and almost all of the achievements but it never really became fun. I don't know what was missing, just something very flat about the experience. The combat I will agree was excellent but there was nothing unique about the game. It seemed to be bits and pieces of many better games. In the end I just couldn't imagine paying more for dlc and so traded it in. Sadly , for a game I was so excited to play I felt very let down. I wanted to love it but just couldn't and can't even really say I like it. Expand
  72. Mar 8, 2012
    A game that has potential to do a lot more, seems like they just took every big name producer and hoped for a smash hit.I look forward for the sequels in the series and hopefully better leveling mechanics.
  73. Mar 6, 2012
    An intriguing story concept, massive loot, and actiony combat make Reckoning a winner for RPG lovers. Also, being able to "respec" your character mid-game makes trial fun and easy.

No spoilers, so I won't go into the story here. Just know that it is well presented with skippable cutscenes and voiceovers. Skipping all story scenes makes for an action-centric game - get quest, go killing. I suggest you watch the scenes and involve yourself in the story for the full RPG experience.

The loot system is almost Borderlands. You can, but don't need to, blacksmith your own armor and weapons. The loot in hidden spots, chests, and from enemies is massive. You'll never be without something you need. Crafting also includes potions and upgrade gems for armor/weapons.

The combat is what is missing from Skyrim. The combos and dodging and special attacks from block and on and on and on.... It's an action game with a story and loot woven through it.
  74. Mar 6, 2012
    This is defintely an MMORPG about to happen. It feels like, looks like and plays like World of Warcraft on XBOX without the multiplayer aspect. It doesn't feel like a traditional RPG much, alot of cutscenes and VERY fast paced combat. Feels like Mortal Kombat with some RPG elements thrown in. It's not a bad game, I just wouldn't call it a "real" RPG. This game will just be tweaked andThis is defintely an MMORPG about to happen. It feels like, looks like and plays like World of Warcraft on XBOX without the multiplayer aspect. It doesn't feel like a traditional RPG much, alot of cutscenes and VERY fast paced combat. Feels like Mortal Kombat with some RPG elements thrown in. It's not a bad game, I just wouldn't call it a "real" RPG. This game will just be tweaked and released as an MMO one day. The story was a little lackluster as well. Worth a try but not at $60. Expand
  75. Mar 6, 2012
    I....HATE...this game. Where da dragons? I was tol'...dis game...by da commerdacial...dat it gonna be like Skrim. It ain't NOTHING like skrim. Skrim good. Amalura bad. This game ain't worth jack sqauterry! I traded dis game in, for another...My 14th...copy of Skrim. I like Skrim. Good game. Amalura bad. Long story short. Get Madden 12. I whoop yah at Madden.
  76. Mar 2, 2012
    Fantastic game. A lot of fun to play. I am only about twenty hours in and I can't wait till I have a free day to get back to it. There are so many things the game does right like the faction storylines, item management, combat, great looking world to explore, dungeon sizes, two world style re-skilling, etc. It does feel like they took the best western fantasy rpg ideas and put themFantastic game. A lot of fun to play. I am only about twenty hours in and I can't wait till I have a free day to get back to it. There are so many things the game does right like the faction storylines, item management, combat, great looking world to explore, dungeon sizes, two world style re-skilling, etc. It does feel like they took the best western fantasy rpg ideas and put them together in one beast. The only better fantasy rpg out there is skyrim. in fact I can't think of anything I really don't like about the game. I guess the most important thing to me is that it is actually fun to play, something that many fantasy rpgs for the 360 never manage to do. I have played almost all of them. I even trudged all the way through the ugly turd that was the xbox risen port where you get killed by seagulls for the first ten minutes until you figure combat out. i would give it a ten but i am leaving room at the top for improvement. Expand
  77. Mar 1, 2012
    First let me say that I've put 78 hours into playing this game,actually beating it in that time.I have to say that it is a great game and deserving of an 8 but that is it.It in no way even comes close to Skyrim in any way shape or form.Fable 2 and 3 are better and oblivion is by far better so I just wanted to get that out of the way.This game is a awesome game,don't get me wrong but itFirst let me say that I've put 78 hours into playing this game,actually beating it in that time.I have to say that it is a great game and deserving of an 8 but that is it.It in no way even comes close to Skyrim in any way shape or form.Fable 2 and 3 are better and oblivion is by far better so I just wanted to get that out of the way.This game is a awesome game,don't get me wrong but it does not belong up there with those titles I mentioned.It more belongs to how Baldur's gate was on the ps2 cause that's exactly where it should be regarded as.It's got it's wow moments but so does a lot of games trying to achieve something they just can't.By all regards it's a great title but it's a bunch of hours you spend that could of been spent better if the company would of thought this game through more,but that's what first outtings are about.There next game will be better,no doubt,but for what this game is,I will say great,awesome but not Oh my God like Skyrim! Expand
  78. Feb 28, 2012
    Calling Amalur an RPG is kind of an oxymoron, because there is so little depth to the story, the characters, the quests, or the world for that matter. And comparing it to God of War doesnt seem right either, since GOW actually had an entertaining story. I guess it all comes down to whether or not you can forgive KoA's lack of story for its combat and leveling, which are quite good. I couldn't.
  79. Feb 28, 2012
    I dont care what people say.. This game is BETTER than Skyrim, i dont care if skyrim looks more "realistic" but KOA:Reckoning is millions times better and more fun the ln skyrim! I recommend this game to every "REAL" gamer outhere
  80. Feb 28, 2012
    LOL @ Skyrim fanboys giving this game low scores! This game is better than Skyrim.. Why?? Because its more "FUN" i know the cartoon-ish style puts some people off the game! But believe me.. This game is sooo much better than skyrim! And guess wha its doesnt have game-breaking bug/glitches like skyrim
  81. Feb 28, 2012
    Just when you think nothing else can go wrong with this game the sound is out of sink, it is like watching the old foreign movies where you see the lips move and a few seconds later there is sound. It is the same for this game. They need to sort this out, if they got rid of all the faults this would be great game.
  82. Feb 27, 2012
    (My First Videogame Review, it somewhat lacks formatting)

(My First Videogame Review, it somewhat lacks formatting)

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in one sentence: A pick-up-and-go, hack-and-slash LITE version of Skyrim that looks alot like World of Warcraft. The hard-core RPG aficionado will most certainly be annoyed by the limited geography (you can't jump, and areas are laid out most often like a series of paths or alleys), the relatively simplistic skills and abilities tree (you get Strength, Sorcery and Speed essentially for the skill trees, and the Abilities generally are only relevant in particular settings; like the Stealth Ability for example), and the somewhat necessity of re-specc'ing multiple times in order to flush out the whole game in one go, AND the ability that the whole game (pretty much) can even be flushed out in one play-through might ruffle some feathers. Finally, despite promoting the game somewhat on the basis of R.A. Salvatore's involvement in the story/world creation (his name is on the front cover, after all) the story of the game is vague and doesn't draw the player in that much, and the main quest-line only provides maybe 1/8 of the possible play-time (which seems to run for most ~70hrs).

But I think the overwhelming majority of gamers will love this game. One's powers increase exponentially for the middle third of the game, and this is where I (and my friends who have picked it up so far) have all gotten hooked. The first 1/10 of the game is your basic start-up, and goes by relatively quickly since the mechanics are pretty easy to master and the initial areas aren't confusing. Then comes the initial striking out period, which, once the user figures out the relationship between the world map and the game landscape, should have the player picking up and finishing quests and gaining experience at a solid rate.

The middle section of the game, as previously stated above, is where the meat of the gameplay is. As you feel out the various factions and are able to create equipment that is not only usable but also compliments your skills/abilities, and you accumulate Twists Of Fate (stat/ability bonuses that stack on your character throughout the game), your character will quickly be able to slaughter any but the hardest of enemies on any but the hardest of difficulties (somewhat similarly to Fable, if to a lesser degree).

The last section of the game sort of becomes as challenging as you want it to be. By this point, at any difficulty, the economic resources available to your character make it such that entering into the entire last quarter of the game you can pretty much factor out the challenging aspects. However, due to the smooth combat style and attractive landscapes, it generally stays interesting to the very last hack and slash.

The lack of mounts or vehicles is mitigated by a plethora of fast-travel locations, and the quick load-times (especially with installation) between fast-travel locations greatly reduces the fatigue experienced by any RPG gamer who is forced to watch entirely too many loading screens during the process of completing one particularly long string of quests.

I would recommend to anyone with even a passing fancy for RPGs, and caution only those with no taste for the genre at all, or hard-core purists.
  83. Feb 26, 2012
    I am pleasantly surprised at how much I am enjoying this game! More than anything I was intrigued at the idea of getting some Mass Effect 3 swag just by playing a demo, but after trying it out decided I would give it a go. I definitely do not regret my choice, I'm 20 hours in and loving it! Unlike a lot of people, I enjoy the more 'cartoony' style with the bright colours, a nice changeI am pleasantly surprised at how much I am enjoying this game! More than anything I was intrigued at the idea of getting some Mass Effect 3 swag just by playing a demo, but after trying it out decided I would give it a go. I definitely do not regret my choice, I'm 20 hours in and loving it! Unlike a lot of people, I enjoy the more 'cartoony' style with the bright colours, a nice change of pace from most current gen games. The combat looks and feels good and is easy to pick up, though certainly not the most complex compared to a lot of action games. The fast travel system is handy, and contrary to some other commenters, I actually find the world map very helpful and easy to navigate. The camera is a bit annoying at times, but far from game-breaking, you do have control of it, after all. The story hasn't pulled me in the way some other games have, but I'm still interested to see where it goes. I'm not really into RPG's that much, a lot of commenters are comparing it to Skyrim (which I haven't tried) and Fallout (which I'm sorry to say bored me to tears), so I maybe don't have the same perspective, but I think KoA is just plain fun. Really glad I took a chance on this one, and I hope it does well, congrats to 38 and Big Huge! Expand
  84. Feb 26, 2012
    This is a good game, like some movies are meant to be popcorn films, this is a popcorn game. It is enjoyable, but I have not yet discovered the wealth of choice and change that I had hoped for. Quite the opposite, the story feels pretty directed as if I really have no control over the overall story...I could be wrong, but at this stage (10 hours in) I have not felt in control of the storyline.
  85. Feb 26, 2012
    Repetitive, boring, no epicness at all, no roleplay at all, main character is boring. The world look like a fairy tale, some locatins look amazing, but still after 20 hours of playing i found no "wow" effect. This is not the way games should be made.
  86. Feb 25, 2012
    My ps3 died with Skyrim in it! In the interim, my wife thought that Valentine's Day would be a good time to cheer me up with a different RPG. I love Schilling and wanted this game to be great, but alas it was not. The combat is the selling point for this game. It is better than most RPG's but a far cry from the likes of GoW and other combat oriented action games. The "open world" is theMy ps3 died with Skyrim in it! In the interim, my wife thought that Valentine's Day would be a good time to cheer me up with a different RPG. I love Schilling and wanted this game to be great, but alas it was not. The combat is the selling point for this game. It is better than most RPG's but a far cry from the likes of GoW and other combat oriented action games. The "open world" is the most frustrating part of this game. You cannot jump and cannot move through many invisible barriers. You must also travel to each new area through a corridor (seriously?) I found the crafting skills to be very pointless as you can do so much more without wasting time on them. This game LACKS HEART and that is the most upsetting. You feel absolutely nothing for your character and even less for any of the NPCs. I have played near 50 hours and have gotten so bored I feel like I need to force myself to pick it up and finish just to get it done. This had a lot of potential and the 'world' of Amalur should survive this first venture, but it had better come back strong next time. Expand
  87. Feb 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Kingdom Of Amalur: Reckoning My name is Fang of MegaEpicLP and I have recently completed Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning. I have played it for well over 100 hours and these are my opinions of the game. This is my first review. Reckoning is a great game to play as it incorporates a very stylish and easy to use combat system. Being very easy to use means the game allows you to have a more enjoyable time instead of making you stressed too easily. The combat is not at all difficult but for people that want a challenge, I suggest they take on tougher enemies at lower levels. This is when it can become quite difficult.
    The added feature of â
  88. Feb 23, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalure: Reckoning is the result of trying to include as much as you can in a game without really focusing on anything in particular. Built as a pre-cursor to a planned MMO, It feels as though a group of people sat around a table and made an honest attempt to build a game that contained â
  89. Feb 23, 2012
    After 75hours of playing this game so far, I can safely say that this is one of the most addictive games ever. It is absolutely fantastic anyway you look at it, a bit or Darksiders a bit of Fable a bit of God of war, a bit of everything great and you end up with this true Gem of a game. Not playing this is a sin. Wonderful story, visual, superb music, worth every penny. Especially for anAfter 75hours of playing this game so far, I can safely say that this is one of the most addictive games ever. It is absolutely fantastic anyway you look at it, a bit or Darksiders a bit of Fable a bit of God of war, a bit of everything great and you end up with this true Gem of a game. Not playing this is a sin. Wonderful story, visual, superb music, worth every penny. Especially for an RPG fan. Sure it has a few minor issues, with camera and occasionally an NPC texture, but for such a humongous epic game it is virtually bug free and flawless. Skyrim, Fable and Fallout 3 are among my favorite games of all time, and they are all infinitely more buggy which is understandable for such big games. All in all, it is the most fun you can have and I see very few games being worth your money coming out this year. A game of the year contender. Don't miss it! Expand
  90. Feb 21, 2012
    This is a review by someone who has thouroughly played the game and knows what they are talking about and what makes a fantasy rpg good. kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is the one of the most under rated and under appreciated games to come out in a while. I think this may be because every one including critics are so loyal to skyrim that they are biased and blind when they play this game.This is a review by someone who has thouroughly played the game and knows what they are talking about and what makes a fantasy rpg good. kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning is the one of the most under rated and under appreciated games to come out in a while. I think this may be because every one including critics are so loyal to skyrim that they are biased and blind when they play this game. This game is different than skyrim in several big ways and delivers a whole different experience. The world is vibrant, colorful and enchanting. The combat is fast, visceral and fun and it is always getting better as you play because of the excellent skill trees. The story is creative, deep, and interesting. It is also longer then stories in similar games. Ths side quests are also fun and intersting. Most imporntantly the loot system is expansive and satisfying. I will get back to the loot system. One thing that should be noted is that this game does not play like an open world rpg and should not be treated as such. This game plays best when you move through the game at an even pace doing many side, story, and faction quest along the way. You wont be running all around the world like in skyrim. It plays best when you do one part of the map at a time. The main reasion for this is the slightly flawed region leveling system. If you go to a new area when you are too low level, that area will permenantly be set at the lowest possible level in its range. Ex: your level 9 and you go into an area with a 10 - 15 range that area will be at 10 for the rest of the game. So if you leave and come back higher than 10, that area will be easy and have weak loot. If played correctly this game will constanly give you challenging combat and consistanly better loot througout the game. Also the deep exstensive dialogue should not be a mark against amalur because it is there for the people that appreciate a deep interesting world. The dialogue can be easily skipped with the push of a button. Another thing I should highlight is the inovative and satisfying leveling system. In this game skills like lock pick and persuasion are seperate from combat skills so you don't have to sacrifice one for the other unlike one over rated rpg in particular(skyrim). Each skill tree gives you many fun and useful abilities that actually change the combat depending on you chartacter type be it warior, mage, rogue, or even a hybrid of these. Whats more is the character animations and voice acting are not bad for a game in this genre. There are many interesting and unique characters that are voiced quite well. Last of all, the map is large and fun to explore with several regions that look and feel very differant from each other giving the game good variety and length of around 100-120 hours depending on how much you do. The things that most critics have marked against this game have been exaggerated and harsh. If you took the standards most of the big critics held this game to and put skyrim to those standars, it would've gotten a 6 or 7 from all of them. Bad voice acting and character animtions. boring side quests and story. horrble and unrewarding loot system. horrible combat. boring skill trees that make you sacrifice combat for lockpick and similar skiils. Can't make good hybrids. unimpressive town. no real incentive for exploration. hundreds of boring, ugly, repetitive dungeons filled with nothing but drauger and bandits only to ge usless loot that waighs too much. These are the things critics let skyrim slip by with just because it has a big pretty open world and dragons. Tell me that isn't bias. amalur beats skyrim on all these elements which are the most important elements in an rpg. Story, exploration, loot, combat, leveling. Give it a chance. ( please keep in mind that I have played both these games exstensively and im not trolling. Im just fed up with the complete bias towards skyrim that is hurting the scores this game recieves.) Expand
  91. Feb 21, 2012
    i have put a good 20 hrs into this and i am loving it and its not got boring.
    the graphics are very nice and colorful much like Fable in the look
    i have put a good 20 hrs into this and i am loving it and its not got boring.
    the graphics are very nice and colorful much like Fable in the look
    its a nice change from Skyrim although i would not say it is better i do enjoy it very much though and its very good and you should support this new IP and developer because it is a great effort with many good ideas that are very well executed and hardly any probs or glitches except minor issues which can be found in any big open world RPG
  92. Feb 21, 2012
    I have changed my opinion from my previous review,after putting nearly 95 plus hours into the game so far and I still have not crossed the river to Klurikon and Alabastra I find that not only this game delivers upon what it promised which was great combat and a good RPG backbone element, it has some great lore which of course comes from the visionary mind of RA Salvatore and just plainI have changed my opinion from my previous review,after putting nearly 95 plus hours into the game so far and I still have not crossed the river to Klurikon and Alabastra I find that not only this game delivers upon what it promised which was great combat and a good RPG backbone element, it has some great lore which of course comes from the visionary mind of RA Salvatore and just plain overall addictive. I cannot find myself wanting to go back to Skyrim for any reason that Reckoning doesnt provide. I Suggest this game to all that enjoy gratifying combat with great leveling skill trees and ppl who enjoy a entertaining and long story. Nearly 200 plus hours of gameplay (not to mention the many more that will come with post launch DLC that I'm sure will be coming) but not only for those that invested in the Future Press strategy guide that is late to the party, but will add more to your game that you didn't come across before hand. I will be doing multiple playthroughs with many different classes and destinies. Again...thank you Big Huge Games and 38 Studios, and to all the Visionaries that made this masterpiece possibly. Here's hoping that you guys brought in enough revenue to create a lasting franchise, and that is not including the MMO "Copernicus" which i am hearing is still in development. Expand
  93. Feb 18, 2012
    First game in a long while I decided to plop 60 dollars on. Former WOW player who gave up on it due to time constraints. This single player game is perfect for me, since I can go at my own pace. Don't have to rely on 40 other people to take hours to assemble a team to do a raid. The game is a tad easy, but I'm sure they'll rectify that. I'm 61hrs in. Where else can you get that muchFirst game in a long while I decided to plop 60 dollars on. Former WOW player who gave up on it due to time constraints. This single player game is perfect for me, since I can go at my own pace. Don't have to rely on 40 other people to take hours to assemble a team to do a raid. The game is a tad easy, but I'm sure they'll rectify that. I'm 61hrs in. Where else can you get that much entertainment for that price. Expand
  94. Feb 18, 2012
    Decent start to a new RPG game series. Lacking in the story department and ending is lackluster but the combat was fun throughout. Worth the play through but do your self a favor and get it used in a few months.
  95. Feb 17, 2012
    A very solid game, that excels in its execution. KoA borrows from many games before it, and does a very good job of doing so. The main selling point of the game is its combat, which is much more visceral and interactive than what you will find in traditional fantasy RPGs, or any MMO. The 3 combat disciplines, might, finesse and sorcery have a fair amount of depth and customization; youA very solid game, that excels in its execution. KoA borrows from many games before it, and does a very good job of doing so. The main selling point of the game is its combat, which is much more visceral and interactive than what you will find in traditional fantasy RPGs, or any MMO. The 3 combat disciplines, might, finesse and sorcery have a fair amount of depth and customization; you can play the game how you want to, a mage, assassin, warrior, or an amalgamation of any of those 3 classes. The game production values shine with some excellent voice acting, amazing environments and art, a rich story and lore, and a fitting soundtrack. The sheer magnitude of content in-game is astonishing, and worthy of praise. It took me 80 hours to complete the game on Hard, and I still have a few achievements and couple quests left. You can really tell that a lot of effort went into the production and polishing of this game - I only encountered 2 bugs in my play-through involving getting stuck, and screwy camera. I highly recommend to any fans of the rpg, action-rpg, and mmo genres. That being said the game is not perfect and has room for improvement - my main complaints have to do with lack of inventory space for your main stash, and only having the ability to map 4 abilities to your controller. The variety of quest types could use some improvement, it currently functions identically to a MMO (fetch quests, quest hubs, etc.) and can get a bit repetitive. I also found that the game was too easy even on hard, which made drinking any potions unnecessary, and also that some skills were rather useless (lockpicking, and dispelling). Another thing that would benefit the game is if the NPCs were less static (it feels like everything in the game revolves around you - immersion killer), and it would also be nice to have character decisions have more impact and repercussions in the game (I found that dialog choices rarely affected any outcome). Expand
  96. Feb 17, 2012
    KoA reckoning is not a 10 or even a 9 in my booksâ
  97. Feb 17, 2012
    Kingdom of Amalur is a great RPG. Huge beautifully crafted world with loads to explore and do. Combat is epic for this genre. Having so much fun doing side quests that I'm actually not that far into the main story after 60 hours in. Game runs great and have had zero issues. Only real negative is a finicky camera at times, but not something that holds the game back from greatness. InKingdom of Amalur is a great RPG. Huge beautifully crafted world with loads to explore and do. Combat is epic for this genre. Having so much fun doing side quests that I'm actually not that far into the main story after 60 hours in. Game runs great and have had zero issues. Only real negative is a finicky camera at times, but not something that holds the game back from greatness. In terms of fun factor and being immersed in the game I rate this title close to Mass Effect 2 and as with that game I can see multiple play throughs of Amalur with different character configs being just as enjoyable. Expand
  98. Feb 16, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game. However it's cross promotions with Mass Effect and it's cool art and screens seem to point to a unique and engaging experience. However this is not the case. The actual game is better then mediocre titles like Risen or Eco Draconis but feels extremely lazy and uninspiring compared to any of the genres staples. It's cartoonish look and fable clonedI really wanted to like this game. However it's cross promotions with Mass Effect and it's cool art and screens seem to point to a unique and engaging experience. However this is not the case. The actual game is better then mediocre titles like Risen or Eco Draconis but feels extremely lazy and uninspiring compared to any of the genres staples. It's cartoonish look and fable cloned mechanics leave you wishing they bothered to put more thought into the core gameplay then trying to convince people it's good with flash and theatrics. Expand
  99. Feb 16, 2012
    When this game was about to release i was really excited for it , i mean just take into account the pedigree of talent behind the development team alone plus all the previews and pre-launch talk, mostly on G4 made me want to play KoA . That was then, now it's a completely different story. this game can only be chalked up to a MASSIVE disappointment. i really wish now i had waited for theWhen this game was about to release i was really excited for it , i mean just take into account the pedigree of talent behind the development team alone plus all the previews and pre-launch talk, mostly on G4 made me want to play KoA . That was then, now it's a completely different story. this game can only be chalked up to a MASSIVE disappointment. i really wish now i had waited for the reviews, this one in particular instead of getting caught up in the hype and pre-ordering KoA. Granted the combat is engaging and better than just about every rpg on the market but that is all this game has going for it. The graphics are OK, the camera is sub-par , the voice acting and dialogue are dull and boring. my biggest fault with Amalur is that, with any good rpg, you have an emotional investment in your character as they are an extension of ourselves , and in this respect KoA fails miserably. i tried (45 hours into it) till i just couldn't feign enthusiasm anymore. at no point did the game give me a reason to care about my character or the multitudes of fetch -quests that i was being sent on. all you FANBOYS out there that are waving your pitch forks around need to realize that this game did fail on delivering what it set out to. thank you to the brave few who came out with an honest review of this game while the rest of the reviews pretty much rehashed EA talking points . Expand
  100. Feb 15, 2012
    I think that Reckoning has a great story and character development that can't be matched. The graphics are very detailed and the levels are huge. I feel like the difficulty is a little unforegiving, but I hope this changes as I get further in the game. This is simply a huge adventure that shouldn't be missed. I give it an 8 for some control issues at some times and the graphics are not theI think that Reckoning has a great story and character development that can't be matched. The graphics are very detailed and the levels are huge. I feel like the difficulty is a little unforegiving, but I hope this changes as I get further in the game. This is simply a huge adventure that shouldn't be missed. I give it an 8 for some control issues at some times and the graphics are not the best that I have seen, but still make a beautiful world. Expand
  101. Feb 13, 2012
    I simply love Skyrim, Oblivion, and many other such RPGs and im adding KoA right to the list. Im not saying everything is perfect (difficulty and camera both been addressed by Curt in forums) but the fun of the combat makes it hard to put down. I love the environments also and i know the cartoon type graphics are a turn off for many but i love games that let me see fantasy and notI simply love Skyrim, Oblivion, and many other such RPGs and im adding KoA right to the list. Im not saying everything is perfect (difficulty and camera both been addressed by Curt in forums) but the fun of the combat makes it hard to put down. I love the environments also and i know the cartoon type graphics are a turn off for many but i love games that let me see fantasy and not something i can see in the real world. I wish all the best for 38 studios and this IP because with all the generic shooters out there good RPGs are hard to find and i think this is gonna be a great IP. Collapse

1. Apr 11, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is not all bad, it's just very bland. For a game that was in development for roughly seven years, the different gameplay systems don't seem all that well-thought-out. And perhaps the lengthy development also explains why Amalur brings absolutely nothing fresh to the table. It simply lacks its own identity.
    In terms of laying the groundwork for future iterations, Reckoning does an incredible job of establishing the lore as well as the world of Amalur itself. On the other hand, it fails to dish up a compelling single-player narrative, as the main plotline lacks substance and culminates in an almost cliché boss encounter by today's standards.
  3. Mar 22, 2012
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is a hoot to play. It feels like Fable done right, like a third person Skyrim edited to a workable size.