L.A. Noire Xbox 360

7.8

1. Feb 11, 2012
    There are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It wasThere are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It was not very satisfying to solve a case with one real suspect, and annoying to get it wrong for insignificant seeming little details. The controls are pretty clunky on the ground, which makes any shooting parts not particularly enjoyable. Overall it's a fun game with a good story, but I think it could have been executed a lot better. Expand
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    Graphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facialGraphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facial recognition of lies etc, is an interesting concept - one they haven't really pulled off 100% (amusingly, faults are mostly due to the odd bad actor rather than the technology but it's still very good) but you have to commend the effort.

It's not going to be something you play again when you finish it, but I'd describe it as the perfect rental title. You'll finish it in a week, and feel pretty good about it when you do. So, for me, I'll ignore the repetitiveness, the overall air of pretention and just how casual the game is overall and give it a decent score. In short, you just have to recognise it for what it is. 7/10.
  3. Jul 31, 2012
    L.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases hasL.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases has a weird and unnatural progression combined with a lack of interactivity, the side missions are quite similar to each other, the interviewing mechanics could be improved and the biggest flaw of them all is that the game gets repetitive. No matter the case the gameplay structure stays the same. The game is a pony with a few tricks it keeps showing over and over again and quite frankly it gets kind of boring after a while. If you however like me play 1 or 2 cases every now and then you are probably going to have a blast. This game could have been fantastic, in the end its simply good. Hopefully some game in the future will fix be just that. Expand
  4. Dec 26, 2013
    l.a. noire is a good game but it doesn't reach the level of rockstar games in the past few years,other problem is the difficulty of this game wich is too much hard.
  5. Sep 24, 2011
    A great man once said, "If you build it, they will come." And so it is with Rockstar: any game they put out will inevitably be purchased by me and every other 15-30 year old male who doesn't do the Buffalo Bill dance and coodle their unbearably annoying yip-yip dog.

I don't regret my purchase for it's worth it if just for the facial animations and unique game play. But alas, as you might have already heard, this game can be dreadfully boring.
  6. Aug 15, 2011
    I kept hearing all the hype about this game, but I really couldn't get a grasp for it. I really wanted to see screenshots and in-game videos. Nevertheless, I decided to jump on board and buy a copy. Unfortunately, the game lives up to its hype, but nothing else. It's great for showcasing the facial expression technology, and from the attention to detail in recreating historic L.A. isI kept hearing all the hype about this game, but I really couldn't get a grasp for it. I really wanted to see screenshots and in-game videos. Nevertheless, I decided to jump on board and buy a copy. Unfortunately, the game lives up to its hype, but nothing else. It's great for showcasing the facial expression technology, and from the attention to detail in recreating historic L.A. is impressive, but it fails to entertain me. The investigations consist of a series of multiple choice decisions that you can re-do until you get it right. The game is wholly unfulfilling as there are too many tedious activities and not enough exciting rewards. Expand
  7. May 18, 2011
    Perhaps it was high expectations going into LA Noire that let me down, but Rockstar Games' new cop thriller really misses the mark. I believe the Graphics of the game are one of the greatest let downs. Early ads for the game boasted about a new facial capture technology and how players would read faces, which would enhance interrogations, yet everyone makes the same face. If they're lyingPerhaps it was high expectations going into LA Noire that let me down, but Rockstar Games' new cop thriller really misses the mark. I believe the Graphics of the game are one of the greatest let downs. Early ads for the game boasted about a new facial capture technology and how players would read faces, which would enhance interrogations, yet everyone makes the same face. If they're lying they'll start to smile. "Oh officer, my husband's dead!? Smirk" if anything, they really detracted from the feel. As well, the faces look like sweaty face molds pulled over a mannequin's face: they're good, but there's something off about them. But this being said, the game looks good otherwise, capturing the City of LA in it's hey-day beautifully. Another disappointment are the driving mechanics. For a company like Rockstar to drop the ball here is a real crying shame. The cars feel like something that were tacked on last minute. They drive like boulders. Perhaps this is because they're 1940's models, but still, if you can make a Horse feel effortless (Red Dead series) I would expect the same here. Another step back from previous Rockstar games is the shooting. Shootouts are ever so awkward. I think you have unlimited ammo (the game doesn't tell you how much you have) and aiming is a pain, even with auto help on. And now on to the bread and butter of the game: crime scenes and clue finding. Clue finding is simple, look around a crime scene and press the A button until the music goes away. Interrogations function the same way, watch what face they're making (they only ever make 4 different faces) and press the corresponding button. Crimes are easy to solve and replay value is minimal, seeing as there are only so many crimes and once you solve it once, it's hard to go back and resolve. Overall, the gameplay detracts from the main experience. All of this being said, the game is still saved by it's plot and atmosphere. It truly puts you into the shoes of Cole Phelps, and the added backdrop of post war LA boosts this, something I wasn't expecting. However, the characters are fairly shallow, in a game that makes me feel like a Law & Order detective, I would expect to feel something for my partner, or even myself, but the game falls short. This being said, the game is only about cases.

In the end, if you like to watch Law & Order, you'll enjoy this video-game, however if you're looking for the next Rockstar hit, this is not it.
  8. Sep 28, 2011
    L.A. is the kind of game that I would expect to love for it's completely original concept and change of pace. Although the game certainly stands out among the popular crowd of massacre-fatigued shooters, it has a lot of shortcomings that gradually ruin the experience once the sense of novelty subsides. First of all, the game's engine is not impressive but what they manage to do with it is.L.A. is the kind of game that I would expect to love for it's completely original concept and change of pace. Although the game certainly stands out among the popular crowd of massacre-fatigued shooters, it has a lot of shortcomings that gradually ruin the experience once the sense of novelty subsides. First of all, the game's engine is not impressive but what they manage to do with it is. The facial animations are unlike anything in any other game and are so realistic that I can often recognize real actors/actresses as characters in the game. The one downside is that the amount of information in these animations pushes the game to use 3 discs for the XBox 360. The game's scale is certainly not equivalent to a standard game on 3 discs. At first the game totally captures the player's attention. Being a detective and actually using reasoning skills in a video game is an impressive new experience that I think needs to be further developed in the future. Unfortunately, there's one major problem with the concept: how can make a game that fits the player's ability to reason? Everyone has their own logic, and although these different reasons may be sound and true and come to the same conclusion, L.A. Niore's gameplay struggles with the problem of a linear game trying to fit a dynamic player's thoughts. Interrogations with suspects consists of analyzing the suspect's verbal and body language and deciding whether to believe, doubt, or accuse the suspect of lying. Believing and doubting are vague enough to allow for multiple ways of thinking, however the game handles accusations of dishonesty poorly IMO because it requires you to present a piece of evidence as proof that the suspect is lying. The problem is that this allows for one and only one method of thinking. Just as an example, in one investigation I found a stash of military grade morphine in the suspect's possession. When he denied it, I accused him of lying and presented the stash as evidence. Makes sense right? Sure it makes sense, but the game is programmed to accept one piece of evidence specifically, and that piece of evidence wasn't the right piece of evidence. What WAS the correct piece of evidence was another suspects accusation. Yes, they both come to the same conclusion, he's lying. However, the game only allows for one method of thinking in order to solve cases. There's a system of "intuition" points that are essentially life-lines when you come into these situations, however these one-time uses only partially solve the problem. Also, later on in the game as your cases demand you travel to more locations, it actually becomes necessary for you to visit these locations in a specific order to be able to get the right pieces of evidence by time you need them. However, there's no way to know which one you need to go to first so whether or not you get a 5-star rating will come to depend on luck. Lastly, there's no save system, which could have helped a lot to solve these issues, but as it stands the only way to load game is to restart an entire investigation which will take hours. Another problem with the game is FILLER. This game has more filler content than anything I've ever played. In the beginning when you are searching for a particular criminal, you are going to solve hours worth of cases before you make any progress whatsoever (it's hard to talk about without spoiling it). Sure the cases are interesting, but the game completely loses its sense of direction after hours of irrelevance. The open world has mixed results. It's only there as immersion and atmosphere and has nothing to do with gameplay or exploration (there are monuments you can find but that is so underdeveloped that I refuse to count that as exploration). Driving throughout the world will require that you follow the rules of the road which I just find to be more filler than fun, and any mistakes you make on the road (which I guarantee will happen because the AI drivers are atrocious) will be saved and remembered as property damages which will negatively affect your mission rating. There is, however, a way to bypass this and fast travel by telling your partner to drive instead of you. Finally, everything other than investigating is highly underdeveloped. The gunplay is absolutely terrible and boring, and car chases are linear and frustrating with unresponsive vehicle controls and terrible AI drivers. As with any rockstar-published title, there are plenty of serious and adult themes throughout the story, but unlike other titles, L.A. Noire only mentions them rather than further developing them. The game at its core experience is gold, but there are simply too many flaws standing between that golden experience and the player himself. It's easy to tell how much Rockstar Games struggled working with Team Bondi in the areas of the game that are pathetically underdeveloped, and a future title with a little more directional focus could take this concept to the stars. Expand
  9. May 25, 2011
    Now, I would first like to say that I am NOT a mainstream gamer. Sure, I play Halo: Reach online every now and then, but for the most part, I would prefer a more unique experience, such as the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age: Origins, and the Dead Space series. So, when I read in GameInformer about a game called L.A. Noire, I got genuinely excited. Heck, I had only a penny left after I hadNow, I would first like to say that I am NOT a mainstream gamer. Sure, I play Halo: Reach online every now and then, but for the most part, I would prefer a more unique experience, such as the Mass Effect series, Dragon Age: Origins, and the Dead Space series. So, when I read in GameInformer about a game called L.A. Noire, I got genuinely excited. Heck, I had only a penny left after I had bought it. This game made me effectively go broke. It wasn't worth it.

Now, the gameplay is interesting, I will say that. You scour a crime scene looking for clues, and then interview any suspects that you have. To get suspects, you may sometimes have to chase them, on foot or in vehicle. These sequences are meant to change the pace of gameplay, which, while I admire the effort, become tiresome when they happen. Also, the game has been lauded for its facial capture technology, which allows fully accurate capture of the actor's performance. The animations are solid as many of the actors give good performances, but the faces themselves seem rather low-grade in comparison. They don't look horrible, just not that good. That, or I just have a crappy T.V. The surrounding world that you inhabit is a very convincing recreation of the 1940s, from the housing to the cars to the clothes that people wore.

Now, since you play as a detective, you happen to progress through different desks of the LAPD: Patrol, Traffic, Homicide, Vice, and Arson. In each of these stages you are assigned a partner, each of whom has their own personality. The only partner I can honestly say that I didn't like is Roy Earle of Vice. He is just an enormous douchebag. The others are fine. The character you play as, Cole Phelps, is a war hero of the Pacific campaign who has joined the LAPD to make the world a better place, and to potentially right some of the wrongs he committed in the war. He is a flawed character, eventually making a choice along the road that damages his once good name. Now, I have nothing against flawed characters, as I find that when done well, they can be the most interesting. But to be honest, I found Cole Phelps to be uninteresting and boring. Oh, and the "wrong choice" that I mentioned, yeah, I pretty much lost all sympathy in him after that. Then again, that may just be me.

Now, while I will complement the innovation that some of the gameplay possessed, there is still one flaw in the experience: It often gets boring. It also doesn't help that the most interesting cases are the Homicide cases, which occur in the middle of the game. Perhaps it may have helped if they gave the gamer a little more in the way of choice, such as in a BioWare title, but the story itself is pretty linear, so it just makes me think that this would have been better off as a TV series. Now to be honest (and I am kind of ashamed to admit this), I didn't truly complete the game. I made it past the first case in the Arson desk, and just gave up afterwards. I looked up the ending on YouTube, and it was underwhelming. I mean, 20 hours and THAT'S all they give you? They do give you the opportunity to replay cases in an attempt to get a better rating, but honestly, I don't see the logic in playing a level in a mystery/detective game once you know what's going to happen.

Now to be honest, this game isn't horrible. It's just not the kind of game I like. There is an audience out there for this game, of that there is no doubt. For now, however, I think I'm good with Xbox Live arcade titles instead. Or that Hunted: THe Demon's Forge game that comes out next week. Hopefully, I'll like that more. And if not, than I have to stop pre-ordering.
  10. May 27, 2011
    Not a bad game, but far away from being one of the Rockstar jewels that they use to create. The open world it's just limited to driving, leaving the game with a single predefined path making it so linear. The best feature in the game is the graphic part.
  11. Jun 4, 2011
    If you are looking for a best facial animations in gaming history then you'll love LA Noire. However, if you're looking for a varied and involving experience you may be slightly let down like me. Heavy Rain is a much better game in terms of 'an interactive movie experience' as after the first half of LA Noire you'll be starting to wonder if there is more to the game than driving slowlyIf you are looking for a best facial animations in gaming history then you'll love LA Noire. However, if you're looking for a varied and involving experience you may be slightly let down like me. Heavy Rain is a much better game in terms of 'an interactive movie experience' as after the first half of LA Noire you'll be starting to wonder if there is more to the game than driving slowly from A to B and deciding whether people are being A - Truthful, B - Withholding or C - Lying judging by their over emphasised facial expressions. To begin with the gameplay is fascinating and the graphics will blow you away, but ultimately this is a shallow gaming experience which tries to be deeper than it is with overly long investigations and an insight into the character you play as. Cole Phelps is not your typical Rockstar-esque protagonist; he dreams of a perfect world and plays by the rules, so much so that you'll wish he could just pistol whip some suspects for a change as they surely did back in those days. Forced plot lines spoil what has gone before later in the game, but I won't give anything away.

In terms of gun action, it's a shame that there isn't more of this in LA Noire as the cover-shoot dynamic is as good as in the GTA games. These encounters become very similar / predictable the more the game goes on and things aren't varied by weapons as Cole generally only carries a pistol. Car chases add another side mission task, but I found these to be pre-determined so that the car you were chasing couldn't be caught until it inevitably ran off the road itself allowing you to make the arrest. Seriously, you can smash / shoot the crap out of the cars but it aint stopping until the game engine dictates it. Overall, I found the game to be far too linear and stiff with the over-arching story a little weak which is surprising considering Rockstar's strength in story telling. After the first half you'll desperately want something exciting to happen, but it just doesn't come and you'll still drive from A to B and repeat the same structure until the end. For a piece of graphical achievement I'd recommend this, but if you're looking for an interactive adventure that you keep you on the edge of your seat take a serious look at Heavy Rain.
  12. Jul 19, 2011
    I really wanted to love this game. It's a long puppet show. Yes, voice acting and art direction are out of this world but gameplay is boring and slow. It's almost like recreating an old tale you have no personal interest in. While the facial mocap is impressive, at times it feels a bit too Uncanny Valley.
  13. Jul 18, 2012
    This is a tricky game to write a review for due to the fact that this game is for an extremely select few. To give a bit of background: Noir is my favorite genre of film and fiction, I was practically raised on the stuff.

The best summary I can give is this: The game play elements all play well but they are mediocre at best- the action and driving is standard and polished however does not stand out amongst games that hold a more consistent focus on third-person action (Max Payne 3) or driving (any GTA game). When I speak of driving elements in L.A. Noire, the driving is fun but because points are deducted if the player does anything that is logically contradicting to a police officer's duty- this makes sense- but any sort of vigilantism is nonexistent, which is peculiar given that the game is supposed to be about corruption and scandalous themes. Sure, the main character is a "goody two shoes" but it would be cool if there was a development where he becomes more of an antihero- this would make it classic noir.

On the note of vigilantism, the game is initself a contribution to the noir genre - this brings up a minor complaint on my behalf that the game is spelled "noire" as if its trying to be avant garde or chic despite the fact that it could have easily been spelled "L.A. Noir" and perhaps would have looked better; many elements of noir are not present (focus on shadows, the hero being an anti hero), although the cliches of murder, crime etc are present. I suppose this is insignificant in the big picture though.

The highlight and main focus on the game lies in the interrogation of suspects and witnesses, and it is in this regard that the game does get some major pros- the cons inherent are that, after a while, it can become extremely difficult to get the "correct" answers (being "lie," "truth," "doubt") and the major encouraging facet that how some of the missions unfold and how the plot is unveiled is based on the where, who, how and why's extracted from interrogations can be very clever.

Though, for a perfectionist who wants to get down the "perfect" (or close to "perfect") accomplishment of tacit objectives in the missions, there is a requirement of having to restart the entire mission and some of the longer cutscenes cannot be skipped; as well the same interrogations must be done to lead one from one character to the next.

The plot is good. People have compared it to L.A. Confidential, which is a fair comparison, though I would say that the film is much better and (perhaps ironic to the game) executed in a fashion more fitting to the noir genre.

It's not that this game is bad, it's just not stellar or even very great, in the long run. Rent it or borrow it first from a friend but keep in mind the game becomes understandably formulaic. Regardless it should be praised for being unique- but being unique has never made a game a standalone classic or an absolute must have.
  14. Sep 10, 2011
    sure at the beginning it is fun, but after a few missions it is just so repetitive. The facial expressions are great but sometimes the world seems so fake.
  15. Nov 23, 2011
    OVERVIEW: I was very excited for this game, as the new genre appealed to me. Although it delivered on that part, the various other problems makes it difficult to play.

PROS: The style and feel of 1940's LA is spot on; and that is helped by the great graphics. The great graphics also deliver a new facial system which I really enjoyed. It basically takes the actors face and puts it into game, which is crucial for the lie detection system that Rockstar put into the game. The part about the gameplay that I enjoyed was the detective stuff. Searching for clues, interrogating people, etc. The story was also brilliantly told, except it was shown through the very last part of the game.

CONS: Like I just said, the great story is the last of many small stories told through various cases. Each case equals a story except for the last few cases which are connected and tell a bigger story. The game comes on 3 disks, so that is a lot of random cases that I didn't fine entertaining. The none detective gameplay involves car chases, shootings, foot pursuits, etc. This was relatively bland and got very repetitive. The only thing to do besides the main cases was answering to radio calls, which consisted of the above styles of gameplay. LA Noire was also very consistent with other Rockstar games, which for me is a bad thing.

GRAPHICS: 9 out of 10; Great visuals and cool new facial animations made it look very realistic. STORYLINE: 7 out of 10; The ending was great, but the ending began halfway through disk three.
    GAMEPLAY: 5 out of 10; Detective gameplay was unique but the rest was very repetitive and uncreative.
    LASTING APPEAL: 4 out of 10; The same thing for three disks gets pretty boring. Again, only the end made me want to keep playing.
    OVERALL: 6 out of 10

CONCLUSION: LA Noire was a great idea that just failed to deliver on the typical video game aspects. It is hard to get past this and envy the great style and feel for the game.
  16. Jan 1, 2012
    I was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the BlackI was kinda disappointed with this game. It was probably because of the high expectations this game had going into it's release but I was expecting a Game of the Year candidate. What I got was only a good game with some flaws. The story, which was the backbone to this game IMO, was a bit of a disappointment. I enjoyed the middle of the game, where you had to solve the case of the Black Dahlia, but I didn't like everything else you did in the game. The characters were kinda dull, especially the main character. I definitely didn't Cole and his character as he really wasn't very likable, nor could you relate to him very easily. The sandbox portions of this game were very lacking and that's especially sad coming from a company that was affiliated with Rockstar during the development of this game. Now there were some good things in this game. The well documented Motion Scan for all the facial animations was very nice and groundbreaking. However there were more bad things than good with this game for me and that's very disappointing for a game with such promise. There were some good things here that they could have capitalized on to make a tremendous game. Instead this game will forever be in the category of what could have been, along with Duke Nukem Forever. Expand
  17. Mar 12, 2012
    I loved the art and style of this title but ultimately I couldn't get into the protagonist Cole Phelps. The overarching plot involves the detective's rise in the LAPD over several years. This thread intertwines with Phelps' past in the Marines told in a series of flashbacks in the form of cutscenes. Eventually the past and present come together to define the character.

The game itself

The game itself plays as an interactive detective movie set in post-ww2 LA. PCC streetcars roll the wide boulevards as you drive to the crime scenes. I ultimately hated the car chase scenes. The controls weren't intuitive for me.

The facial technology that went into the characters while you are interrogating them was quite impressive, however I felt that this aspect of gameplay became almost like work as I tried to read body language to determine if the person was lying.
  18. Mar 22, 2013
    The technical achievements are undeniable, but it is simply not that entertaining with its unmemorable plot, monotonous gameplay, nonexistent re-playability, and underwhelming characters.
  19. Feb 24, 2014
    L.A. Noire's biggest attraction is that it's from a genre many of us don't play too often. Without this, the game is just 'ok'. The game's best asset is the facial animations which will definitely impress. The two things really holding this game back though is the repetition and core game mechanics. Early on you discover every case essentially involves the same investigate, interrogate,L.A. Noire's biggest attraction is that it's from a genre many of us don't play too often. Without this, the game is just 'ok'. The game's best asset is the facial animations which will definitely impress. The two things really holding this game back though is the repetition and core game mechanics. Early on you discover every case essentially involves the same investigate, interrogate, chase sequence which gets old pretty fast. Sure you can drive around in the open world but there is absolutely nothing to do, which really defeats the purpose of designing this game as a sandbox. Further you can even skip driving scenes which although handy, again makes you wonder why this game is open world. The second issue though is really what holds this game back, being the questioning for investigations and interrogations. Whilst it makes sense to have a limited number of clues and questions from a gameplay point of view, the problem is that many responses and outcomes do not logically connect or are used in ways inconsistent with how they should or could be used. Many times you will know the answer to the case however you will be marked wrong because the game does not describe the dialogue lines that will accompany the evidence you choose, or when the game fails to recognise that the evidence can be used in more than one way. Other times you can convict someone with little or no evidence at all, or evidence that would never hold up in the real world ( I was once somehow able to prove a person wasn't home the night before because he had a wet jacket on his door despite the fact it was raining when I got there and it was 24 hours later.... what??) The unfortunate outcome of this is that there is really no intellectual component to the game at all, but rather trial and error. To cap this all off the game is littered with glitches and bugs that completely ruin missions as events won't trigger (or did somehow trigger but you never saw it), locations won't show, or missions will have to be completed in specific sequences of events to be able to get the mission completely correct with no indication or guidance whatsoever which can completely ruin your mission. I was unable to complete a case perfectly because I elected to skip a car ride which was supposed to trigger a radio call- why should the game penalise you if it gives you the option in the first place and gives no warning you are to receive the call!!! Later when I triggered the event I was unable to proceed with the investigation because I had missed the order of events and could not go and question the suspect with the new information despite them being in the lock up... which just makes no sense whatsoever. Did anyone at Team Bondi even test this game? All in all an ok game with no replayability - worth a try once but that will be enough. Expand
  20. Jun 18, 2011
    Revolutionary facial expressions and the typically impressive rock star voice acting and scripting, but where the flip is the game? Drive to scene in slow, outdated car (running reds and smashing through the environment on the way of course), find body, plod around crime scene for clues (which are as subtle as a brick - ooh a knife with an address on), go to suspect's house, press randomRevolutionary facial expressions and the typically impressive rock star voice acting and scripting, but where the flip is the game? Drive to scene in slow, outdated car (running reds and smashing through the environment on the way of course), find body, plod around crime scene for clues (which are as subtle as a brick - ooh a knife with an address on), go to suspect's house, press random dialogue buttons (if in doubt, press doubt, because trying to read the facial expressions is a) boring and b) fruitless), give chase on foot or car (which amounts to holding your stick in the general direction of the slowly fleeing criminal), arrest perp. Repeat to fade. Style over substance methinks. I give it half marks for the brilliant presentation, but without the gameplay what's the point? Expand
  21. Jun 10, 2011
    When i saw the trailers to this game i admit that it looked very impressive, but when you think about it all you saw where the cut scenes, and that is exactly what you get. This game (and i use that word very loosely) is more like a tech demo with a couple of bits tagged on to play.Graphically the motionscan works very well and there are some genuinely impressive parts where the actingWhen i saw the trailers to this game i admit that it looked very impressive, but when you think about it all you saw where the cut scenes, and that is exactly what you get. This game (and i use that word very loosely) is more like a tech demo with a couple of bits tagged on to play.Graphically the motionscan works very well and there are some genuinely impressive parts where the acting really shines through, my real problem is the lack of action.I play games to be excited and exhilarated and L.A. Noire did neither for me, i really tried to enjoy it but in the end it felt like a case of the emperors new clothes. Every case is the same-go to an area,find clues,drive somewhere,look for clues,complete a very quick chase,charge someone and repeat. To be honest im disappointed and i expected more from one of the finest publishers to ever grace the gaming world. Expand
  22. Apr 19, 2013
    Rockstar Games have earned a good reputation in gaming circles for high production values and that trend continues with the Team Bondi developed LA Noire. Set in the late 1940s the game is an interactive detective story following the career of ex-army lieutenant Cole Phelps.

There have been complaints from those expecting a Grand Theft Auto (GTA) style open world game but LA Noire was never advertised as such. The game is far more structured than any GTA game, or even Red Dead Redemption for that matter, and the focus of the game remains firmly on solving the cases provided by searching crime scenes (in the manner of the old point and click adventures) and questioning witnesses/suspects. The much vaunted facial mapping technology is very impressive even if it does still becomes all but impossible to spot when someone is hiding the truth in later cases. The game is not totally devoid of action however with most cases involving a few shoot outs, car chases or rooftop pursuits and these are fairly well implemented even if the controls aren’t always as precise as they could be.

Many of the cases are fairly interesting and the script writing, while still not up to the quality of the best TV programmes, is certainly better than the majority of those seen in video games. A number of other minor flaws, such as a few repetitive cases, can be largely ignored but one complaint that certainly can't be is that all too often it feels more like you are being lead through some of the investigations rather than actually playing the role of detective. Regardless of any choices made the game plays out in virtually the same way and this comes very close to making the gameplay pointless on occasions. For many the atmosphere created will allow them to get past this but it all means the game does not live up to the hype.
  23. May 18, 2011
    The best cRPG game I have ever played. beautiful graphics, epic history, very good sound and perfect game play. I hope, this is the game of 2011. Noting more to say.
  24. May 18, 2011
    On the surface, this game seems innovative, with an interesting concept and a great setting. Once I sat down to play the game, however, I was stunned at how incredibly boring it was. Look at stuff, talk to people, chase someone, rinse, repeat. A couple of over-arching stories are hinted at, but they don't get back to them very quickly.

Despite the fact the game is on three discs, and

Despite the fact the game is on three discs, and the graphics are not all they could be to accommodate all the acting and evidence data, the restrictions of the medium are keenly felt. It's like a choose-your-own adventure book bought out of the cheap bin. You have the option to do things in a non-linear order, but if you do the story seldom makes all that much sense. And speaking of making sense, many of the decisions you make don't make any sense at all, particularly if you do everything in the order it's given on your list. Why would I give a suspect more time to get away so I can go talk to the family right this instant? Phone in that license plate and find the driver of the hit and run? No, we have to go talk to the man's wife first. Don't worry, it's a video game, so the driver will still be there when you get to it.

The acting is decent, the graphics aren't up to current standards (and not as good as Red Dead Redemption) and the music is dull and lifeless. The typical Rockstar driving game is still in, and it's completely unnecessary and detracts from the pacing. Phelps' responses while he's interrogating someone are caricatures of old forties movies, and there's no room for subtlety. You either treat someone like they're angels of honesty, or you accuse them of murder. There's no rapport-building or teasing out information. You hit like a Mack truck or not at all.

I won't say it's not worth playing, but it certainly isn't worth buying new. Wait until the price comes down. That way if you get as impossibly bored as I did you won't feel like you've wasted so much.
  25. May 18, 2011
    This game is beautiful. The art is amazing, the facial animations are gorgeous, and everything looks very polished. The music is good, the voice acting is believable, and the sound effects work. The narrative is solid. I'm not in love with it, and it takes a very very long time to develop. The gameplay on the other hand is dull. The pacing of the game is very slow. The same mechanics areThis game is beautiful. The art is amazing, the facial animations are gorgeous, and everything looks very polished. The music is good, the voice acting is believable, and the sound effects work. The narrative is solid. I'm not in love with it, and it takes a very very long time to develop. The gameplay on the other hand is dull. The pacing of the game is very slow. The same mechanics are used throughout the game. One mechanic in the game, finding clues, never felt fun. I just felt like I was running around waiting for vibrations. It reminded me of another game... Mass Effect 2 and its mining system. Honestly... the only difference between the two is that this looked prettier, but Mass Effect 2 was at least kind enough to make looking for resources optional. Being a bit harsh here, and I know this isn't how all people will play it, but the two mechanics are very similar. Interrogating people isn't much better. It is usually too obvious that someone is hiding something, but sometimes I feel good for having guessed correctly. There are numerous points where it just feels stupid that I'd be calling someone out on something. The system just felt too limited. Combat was almost as fun as any other Rockstar game. It has never been the reason I'd play one and it still isn't in this game. I would have liked to have kept weapons I picked up. Driving was the same as ever.

I felt like I had already played everything the game had to offer in the first 30 minutes. It definitely was not worth the $60 though I hope the $$$ this game makes enables other people to do similar things with facial animation. I wish it was actual open world. I missed owning a home, upgrading it, buying things for my character and getting more involved with my character's life. Rockstar failed when deciding how much help they gave you. They held your hand in finding clues and let you know when you had them all. It wasn't up to you to decide if something was useful or not, they decided for you. Then during the interviews, they left you to your own devices. The feedback during interviews was a lot worse than it was in finding clues.

I found Heavy Rain to be a much more satisfying experience. I felt more connected to my characters, the narrative was paced better, and the lack of control ensured that the pacing was still there. I wouldn't recommend this game, but I won't tell people not to buy it either. This is definitely a game that some people will love and justifiably so. It just isn't for me.
  26. May 23, 2011
    This takes all the fun of GTA and Red Dead (open environment, being a general nuisance to society) and turns it into story after story after story. The artwork and animation are amazing, but it simply IS NOT fun to play. It is painfully repetitive, and I don't understand why there is no open world experience like that of all other Rockstar games. If they would just turn open world "on"This takes all the fun of GTA and Red Dead (open environment, being a general nuisance to society) and turns it into story after story after story. The artwork and animation are amazing, but it simply IS NOT fun to play. It is painfully repetitive, and I don't understand why there is no open world experience like that of all other Rockstar games. If they would just turn open world "on" in this, it would be a hit. Expand
  27. Jul 15, 2011
    GTA San Andreas, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, L.A. Noi...no that just doesnâ
  28. Aug 23, 2012
    my god that was a trudge at the end. i understand what they were trying to do with this game, but this game never should've been "open world". I'm sort of glad it failed commercially since open world for the sake of open world is blah. The game never really hit the heights needed to make up for its lows.
  29. May 28, 2012
    I was looking forward to this game, it looks really nice, but fun factor wise i give a 6
  30. May 27, 2013
    I bought this game when it first came out and enjoyed it, and recently I decided to give it a go again as the game is now coming up to being two years old.

- The game's single player campaign is rather long. I've been playing it fairly nonstop for about 15-16 hours now and still have at least two more departments to get through (vice and arson). To say the least, the gameplay has been rather fun, but it has begun to get quite tedious and repetitive. Even though the cases are all different and unique, you can't help but feel like you're doing the same thing over and over once you've done a handful of them. The uniqueness eventually wears off, and right now I feel like I'm playing the game more to finish it than anything else.

- The story of the game has a main overreaching arch and several subplots going on at the same time. It's not a bad story by any means, but due to many of the characters being unlikeable, or simply uninteresting, it has became rather difficult for me to really care as to what's going on. In fact, I've really stopped paying much attention to the story and am simply going through the motions until I get to the next gunfight or suspect chase. It's a shame because the story really is quite unique, but the lack of depth or real connection to any of the game's characters really does kill it for me.

- If you're familiar with other Rockstar titles then you're away of the open, sandbox style most of their games has. This game simultaneously is the same as those other titles and completely different. While I wouldn't necessarily expect the ability to go on a shooting rampage as you could in the GTA franchise, I found myself rather limited as to what I could do in this world. Late 40's LA has been beautifully reproduced, but there's no depth to the city and nothing really to do in it. I can't draw my gun whenever I want to, my character can't explore nearly as many buildings, there are no real mini games to be found, there are no natural 'ramps' I can jump cars off of, etc... In essence, it's a prettier version of GTA that lacks and real playability outside of the actual campaign. It's a shame too because the city is well done, but since I can't do anything with it other than look at it I find myself getting bored with it easily. Unfortunately, this means the game has little replay value unless you're like me, beat it once, and then come back to it 2 years later when it's finally somewhat fresh again.

- The cases in the game are fun to play through at first, but after awhile you'll realize that there really are no ways you can genuinely screw up a case so that it will greatly affect the outcome of the story. Sure you might limit what questions you can ask a suspect or what parts of a case you can actually play through, but you'll still end up finishing each case and moving on as if the previous results were insignificant to the utmost degree. This has really put me down a bit as I now feel no need to be careful with my decision making and can run through each mission without trying hard to succeed. In a sense, the 'need' to play well has been completely killed for me.

- As to the actual interrogation aspect of the game, which was a major selling point and highlight for the game, I can tell you that it's really not all that it's cracked up to be. Sometimes you'll be interrogating someone and they'll give off a look that makes you think they're lying to you, but somehow the correct response will be 'truth'. Likewise, a character might look like they're being completely truthful but the answer will be 'doubt'. Sometimes you can even tell a character is lying and you'll have the evidence to prove it, but the game will want a different piece of evidence than the one you selected or they'll want you to select 'doubt' instead of accusing them of lying. This becomes UNBELIEVABLY frustrating after awhile, and since you know the outcome of each case doesn't affect the outcome of the game you wind up asking yourself why you're even bothering with the game (something I've done numerous times now, but I still have yet to be able to turn the 360 off on this game for good).

In summary, this gameplay and story are unique enough that if you're into the whole noire/detective thing, or if you just want something different, then this game is definitely worth a rent, borrow from a friend, or even a buy if you can get it for ~$10, but there's really little other reason to pick it up. The replay value simply isn't there, and the gameplay itself is only good enough if it's you're interested in. It's not a bad game, it's just not a great one, either. I give it a 5.5 out of 10.
  31. Nov 27, 2013
    I am giving this game a five as an indication of what I believe is an middle ground average game, my compliments would go to the game design, investigation and interrogation themed gameplay was something different and very interesting, and the era cars noire feel was beautifully captured. Negatives I would say are the story, the driving which mostly just felt like a chore, the gun playI am giving this game a five as an indication of what I believe is an middle ground average game, my compliments would go to the game design, investigation and interrogation themed gameplay was something different and very interesting, and the era cars noire feel was beautifully captured. Negatives I would say are the story, the driving which mostly just felt like a chore, the gun play which was poor and remarkably easy and lastly the interrogation scenes which to be honest were more frustrating than anything due to lack of information on what your character is actually going to say and inconsistencies in the facial gives. I found the game entertaining but by the end was just hoping to get it over and done with. Expand
  32. May 17, 2011
    I'll start with the game mechanics. They basically ripped the whole feel of the game including driving, walking, brawls, shooting, etcetera from the GTA engine. While this is okay, they didn't add anything new in innovative gameplay. Unless you count having your camera locked in a specific action as your character does something (searching a dead body for evidence). The cases themselvesI'll start with the game mechanics. They basically ripped the whole feel of the game including driving, walking, brawls, shooting, etcetera from the GTA engine. While this is okay, they didn't add anything new in innovative gameplay. Unless you count having your camera locked in a specific action as your character does something (searching a dead body for evidence). The cases themselves simply aren't very tough. Having played 5 hours on my 360 and 3 hours on the PS3, I can safely assume that I am out of the tutorial section of the game and that this is the difficulty the cases have. You simply gather evidence, and at first I thought this was nice, there was some dummy evidence that was useless and only meant to throw you off, but it was all scripted. It's not like they just littered the scene with things you'd find at a crime scene or a house, they made everything you can pick up there for a reason. So instead of having to cycle through hundreds of pieces of evidence or objects that I could use to extract information out of people, I basically had maybe a dozen or so items that would appear in my notebook when questioning people. I was hoping for the ability to collect thousands of useless things with only a few being of any relevance to the case and leaving me to sit down and actually THINK which piece of evidence I should use for my situation, rather it be questioning a witness or interrogating someone. The consequences are pretty limited too... I know I'm nitpicking, but this is a serious issue. What happens when you fail a case? You get thrown back to the closest check point before you messed up and failed the case. I was hoping failing a case would simply never let you replay it again in that campaign, thus making people be cautious with their actions before making sudden moves. That or they could have at least have you start over again at the beginning of the case. The witnesses and suspects are way too obvious in their emotions. It basically rolls out like this: Is he innocent? Then he'll be rational when you ask him questions. Is he not innocent? Then he'll act hostile and irrational to the slightest question you ask him. There are times when this isn't the case, but it seemed like it was too easy. Intuition points... I am nit picking now, I admit it. They're basically hint cards, and there is nothing wrong with it, but it's just that... the game is so easy. If you have any critical thinking skills, then you won't need the intuition points hardly if at all. The graphics. I know this is the icing on the cake and not anything you should grade the game on (unless it's obviously bad), but the graphics are mediocre. It looks like a game from late 2006. The cut scenes were obsessive. I simply hate cut scenes in games. They remove gameplay and any interaction you have with the scene at all. They could have at least had it scripted, because it was completely unnecessary to take ALL control away from you without letting you at least experience through your controller. They need to stop this, period.

The sounds were pretty good. There are times in the game where I noticed the sound engineering at work, and I applaud them for it. It's not the greatest in terms of sound engineering, but there is clearly talent in that sector.

The environment however is lacking. It's very non responsive in general. The civilians don't look up at you when you're chasing a criminal, they don't even make any acknowledgement of you unless you near run them over.

This is all I can think of for this review, so I'll draw this to an end. The game was certainly a change of heart for Rockstar (they co-developed it and published it, don't you dare tell me this wasn't heavily influenced by Rockstar) and they tried venturing out into unknown territory. I'll give them a "bravo" for going beyond the medium and not simply rehasing GTA over and over, like with GTA 1911, or other wise known as Red Dead Redemption. However, they did not deliver it very well. The cases are too easy, the gameplay mechanics seem very old and not very improved upon, and it just doesn't feel like it's own game. It feels more like an expansion pack or a developers mod for GTA IV. This game will receive 10/10s from many 14 year olds, I assure you, just because it's a Rockstar publication and co-development. I almost feel like giving it a 0 to counteract the perfect scores, but I will not. A 4 seems like an appropriate grade, albeit may be viewed as a bit harsh, for this game. There was so much potential with this game, but it simply failed to bring it out.
  33. May 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The title, on many fronts, is quite a disappointment. It doesn't quite work as a game due to it's restrictive narrative and the way it forces you to do things in a certain way or order and it doesn't quite work as an interactive movie due to the illogicality of many crimes and the shallowness of the characters. To give a view examples: early on in the game you chase someone on a movie set which crumbles under your feet... really? That completely took me out of the detective feel and made me feel like playing Super Mario instead. After the first couple of homicides I figured out who was probably behind all of them, so when the character finally presented himself after doing tons of more of these boring cases, it was no surprise at all. When he said "Do you know who I am?!" as if it was a great mystery I found myself yawning out who he was. The main problem is: you can't go after this character or investigate him further earlier on in the game. You need to continue working all the other cases first. Endlessly trailing a woman who got money from bookies to have her stabbed in the bathroom of a bus station. Of course. Because although everyone is having a really hard time trying to find her, the shooter knew she'd be in that bus station, and especially that she'd be visiting the toilet where he was hiding out, waiting for her. Fortunately, after trailing the woman through all kinds of alleys my partner arrived at the bus station at the same moment I did, as if he had a GPS tracker on me or as if we had contact over the radio. Illogical things like that really turned me off. Another thing that was a big disappointment is the interrogation system. Instead of being able to confront suspects with evidence, you need to listen to them talk and can only confront them if you think they're lying. This I found to be rather restrictive as well. Besides that, whenever you doubt someone or accuse them of lying, Mr Phelps starts to scream and shout at the suspect like some drill sergeant. The over acting get's so bad it feels like watching a Bollywood movie at times. Accepting a call on the radio means you will arrive somewhere, chase someone (by foot or car) and eventually shoot them. I simply stopped doing them after 10 or so simply because it was always the same. The default police cars drive like crap. So get another one you say? There are tons of cooler cars hidden throughout the city, but getting them and driving those instead is a lot of hassle, especially when 9 out of 10 times you will be confronted with the standard car after a cut scene, the car you were driving simply magically disappeared. Almost run someone over during a car chase and you get a big warning on your screen, you're not supposed to do that as a cop! But you can steal any parked car anywhere without it ever being an issue. After playing more than thirteen hours I simply wonder if anyone actually tested this game, whether no one during the testing was bothered by these glitches and illogical things going on and how on earth this game got such high ratings from the 'professional' reviewers. Isn't there any good? Well, not much in my opinion. The graphics? We've seen them all before in the GTA and Mafia series. The revolutionary motionscan technology? Sure, it looks nice but it doesn't make up for all the other flaws with this game. At least you get to spend a lot of time picking up women, hanging in smokey jazz joints, drive around with your roof down while loud jazz music is blurting from your speakers, right? Nope, not even that. If only they'd hired some real detectives to play the game and point out it's flaws, hired people like James Ellroy to help write the scenario and did some proper testing, it might have been a great title. Expand
  34. May 22, 2011
    Very disappointed with this game especially as I had been looking forward to it for so long. It's not red dead - it lacks the freedom to go and do as you please and removes the moral choices from the game (well u are a cop after all I suppose). It's very repetitive it's the same thing over and over - go to crime pick stuff up go ask a few questions annnd go do it again! The driving feelsVery disappointed with this game especially as I had been looking forward to it for so long. It's not red dead - it lacks the freedom to go and do as you please and removes the moral choices from the game (well u are a cop after all I suppose). It's very repetitive it's the same thing over and over - go to crime pick stuff up go ask a few questions annnd go do it again! The driving feels poor and lacks any real purpose in the grand scheme. The graphics are not the greatest the environment looks quite plain IMO. There are some shocking frame rate drops, the facial animation is good but looks a bit ott at times. Stay well clear if you are looking for the next red dead or gta - my copy has been traded in already - sorry rockstar! Expand
  35. Feb 24, 2012
    This game was just boring as hell, AS HELL!! I was very disappointed as i was somewhat hyped about this ,but after a good hour worth of gameplay ,I just wanted to go back to my bed and take a nap. This game doesn't even get interesting until the last chapter, but by then you would have most likely given up playing this repetitve mess overall. And there is Absoulutely no build up too theThis game was just boring as hell, AS HELL!! I was very disappointed as i was somewhat hyped about this ,but after a good hour worth of gameplay ,I just wanted to go back to my bed and take a nap. This game doesn't even get interesting until the last chapter, but by then you would have most likely given up playing this repetitve mess overall. And there is Absoulutely no build up too the ending, so if you don't pay close attention, you wont know what the hell is going on torwards the end. Rockstar has already proven that a Logo on a box is not a game make with that crappy State of emergency game, so idk why people blame it on Rockstar, Blame the developers. this game was just too overhyped and idk why anyone would even consider buying the DLC for this Just to play more generic, repetitve, boring point and click missions. Expand
  36. Feb 7, 2012
    When i first got this i was really excited about it!. But it was one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me!. The graphics are absolutely beautiful, and the way it plays it great! same as the GTA franchis, it was the story that let me down the most. Too say the least i hated it! i have never played a game which has been as repetitive as this one (and i've played AssassinsWhen i first got this i was really excited about it!. But it was one of the biggest disappointments of the year for me!. The graphics are absolutely beautiful, and the way it plays it great! same as the GTA franchis, it was the story that let me down the most. Too say the least i hated it! i have never played a game which has been as repetitive as this one (and i've played Assassins Creed). 1st mission - investigate the crime scene, find evidence, interview some suspects, chase somebody, find out who done it...RINSE AND REPEAT!. This is basically it for each mission throughout the game. 4/10 purely because of the graphics. Expand
  37. Dec 11, 2014
    First off, the design and graphics in this game are very impressive. Everything about it looks good. However, that is about all I can say positive for this title. Once you get past that there is very little holding this game up. The story and characters are incredibly boring. The mechanics are sloppy and slow. Tasks become very repetitive and unrewarding after just a few hours. One canFirst off, the design and graphics in this game are very impressive. Everything about it looks good. However, that is about all I can say positive for this title. Once you get past that there is very little holding this game up. The story and characters are incredibly boring. The mechanics are sloppy and slow. Tasks become very repetitive and unrewarding after just a few hours. One can quickly decipher the formula for the correct responses to character interactions. Expand
  38. Jul 14, 2011
    LA Noire is just not a good game. I thought the point of video games was that you could CHOOSE what happens on the screen. This is not progress. You don't actually get to use any skills a detective would use, like deduction, critical thinking or even reflexes. You could get through most of this game blindfolded. The acting is good, but since they are actors they are of course "lying" allLA Noire is just not a good game. I thought the point of video games was that you could CHOOSE what happens on the screen. This is not progress. You don't actually get to use any skills a detective would use, like deduction, critical thinking or even reflexes. You could get through most of this game blindfolded. The acting is good, but since they are actors they are of course "lying" all the time, eliminating the possibility of actually picking up on involuntary tells or "microexpressions". You will be forced to charge suspects you KNOW to be innocent, because you simply don't get other dialogue options. The game makes (lets?) you kill a lot of people in filler sequences but it is totally detached from the story. And the cars are all the same. Not a good game at all. Respect to the actors and animators though Expand
  39. Jul 9, 2011
    The whole point of a video game, or any game, is that you are in control. unlike music, art books or film where you are simply a viewer or listener, a game is interactive. and this is the first problem with LA noir. it is actually a film, which you can fill in the bits that films ignore, such as endless driving with horrible instructions. also in a film or a book you cant skip a sectonThe whole point of a video game, or any game, is that you are in control. unlike music, art books or film where you are simply a viewer or listener, a game is interactive. and this is the first problem with LA noir. it is actually a film, which you can fill in the bits that films ignore, such as endless driving with horrible instructions. also in a film or a book you cant skip a secton (Well, you may be able to fast forward) so why in a game do i have to sit through 20 mins of cutscene, which i already watched! when i failed my first interogation, like all gamers i hit restart, and seeming as each case was introduced with a lovely cutscene i though it would go to just before the interogation. no. it ripped me right to the case before and an endless horror of yet more cutscenes.
    and seeming as its a game, then many people rate it on graphics. GTA IV looks better. that game was released in 2008! and as for the faces, while they are well animated, they have completely destroyed the eyes that most games get right. what is the point in having a map that is that big, when stuff that is less than 1M away from you looks absolutely horrible.
    but why is it a 3 not a 0? well, it is well polished. so far no glitches, and when you can actually see stuff (usiually you have to get real close) it does look very nice, also the way that they "pushed the bat out" with a new genre. but this would have been far more suited for a point and click game. shame really, they put in such effort for a game that is probarbly amazing, to be let down by some moron who dosent under stand the basic concept of games.
  40. Jul 12, 2011
    The facial movements are excellent, however, that is pretty much all this game brings to the table. It would have been a lot better had it not been so repetitive. Every "chase" is just following a guy until a scripted event happens. Because of that, you never really feel the thrill of the chase, you only end up waiting for it to be over. Also, why is it that everytime you get called toThe facial movements are excellent, however, that is pretty much all this game brings to the table. It would have been a lot better had it not been so repetitive. Every "chase" is just following a guy until a scripted event happens. Because of that, you never really feel the thrill of the chase, you only end up waiting for it to be over. Also, why is it that everytime you get called to respond to a street crime, you have to drive to the complete opposite side of the map (about 15 minutes of drive time for about 45 seconds of action)? There's nothing fun about that. I'm a huge fan of Red Dead and the whole GTA series but I got bored with this game halfway through and haven't picked it up since. Expand
  41. Jun 8, 2011
    if you thought gta 4 was repetitive, you're about to get blown out of the water. so, you either drive chase someone, on foot chase someone, have a shootout and do an iterview... now, imagine these are always exactly the same, and now imagine every mission is just these 4 things, over and over and over and over again... well, thats la noire
  42. Jul 22, 2011
    More proof that Rockstar needs to stick to GTA and thats it. Never have they made a game even resembling something enjoyable outside of their roaming sandbox super hit and this game only further proves it. The plot is completely disconnected, the gameplay is simple and boring, its literally the most repetitive game ive played so far on the next generation consoles. The characters areMore proof that Rockstar needs to stick to GTA and thats it. Never have they made a game even resembling something enjoyable outside of their roaming sandbox super hit and this game only further proves it. The plot is completely disconnected, the gameplay is simple and boring, its literally the most repetitive game ive played so far on the next generation consoles. The characters are annoying beyond belief and whats more is that this game was hailed as amazing when it doesnt even live up to half-ass. Not even worth renting. Expand
  43. Jul 24, 2012
    LA Noire is simply Dragon's Lair for the new Millennium, and I feel for the folk who get suckered into loving "games" like these. LA Noire simply does not have enough interaction, enough repercussions or enough substance on the whole to be anything more than a really boring movie. Also, what little interaction is there in the game is pretty badly done too. The difference between doubting aLA Noire is simply Dragon's Lair for the new Millennium, and I feel for the folk who get suckered into loving "games" like these. LA Noire simply does not have enough interaction, enough repercussions or enough substance on the whole to be anything more than a really boring movie. Also, what little interaction is there in the game is pretty badly done too. The difference between doubting a person's answer and accusing them of lie-ing is often silly, and then it doesn't feel consequential to anyone other than completion-ists; the actual "action" itself feels very linear and very much stuck on a railroad track, the massive LA world contains nothing of note; and the main protagonist is a prick who quickly becomes annoying. There came a point in the game where I was asked to "shadow" a suspect in a cafe - after a few fails the game asked me "would you like to skip this?" - FFS! A key point in the plot and it's treated as if it doesn't matter - it just made things feel cheap and it was as if the game admitted "yeah, this bits a bit crap but we thought we'd chuck it in anyway". Also on the whole the plot seems very disjointed at times and, if you play it out differently to how most would (ie go to a later destination before the obvious one), then the plot often gets a few jumbled up lines thrown in which don't make sense. Other than superb facial animations I really can't see why anyone would be interested in such a pointless game. Expand
  44. Nov 17, 2011
    Never in my life have I felt the impulse to return a video game within the first hour of playing it. Where do I start? Yes, the facial rendering technology is amazing. Yes, I realize that L.A. Noire is more a refined, interactive story than a fast-paced video game. I bought the game knowing all these things. However, upon execution, it never lived up to the hype. The "last straw" of myNever in my life have I felt the impulse to return a video game within the first hour of playing it. Where do I start? Yes, the facial rendering technology is amazing. Yes, I realize that L.A. Noire is more a refined, interactive story than a fast-paced video game. I bought the game knowing all these things. However, upon execution, it never lived up to the hype. The "last straw" of my experience was the sluggishness of the controls. They felt slow, burdened, as if the lead character was walking through jelly. All of this is coupled with a repetitive set of investigations that failed to leave any lasting impression. At the end of the day L.A. Noire was a real disappointment. Expand
  45. May 18, 2011
    I really don't see what all the positive buzz for this game is all about. I have never purchased a game and been so compelled to return it the very next day, and I've been gaming for decades now. I at least played Dragon Age 2 until the 3rd act just in case it did offer something to redeem itself, I couldn't make it that far through this one. I knew what I was getting into when I pickedI really don't see what all the positive buzz for this game is all about. I have never purchased a game and been so compelled to return it the very next day, and I've been gaming for decades now. I at least played Dragon Age 2 until the 3rd act just in case it did offer something to redeem itself, I couldn't make it that far through this one. I knew what I was getting into when I picked this up, that this would be a new experience and not something like GTA, so people can't use that excuse for why i didn't like this game. What I didn't expect, however, was how mediocre and boring an attempt Team Bondi had crafted. For starters, there are some major issues with this game that most people seem to ignore. Before the game even gets started good I'm hit by crushing drops in frame-rate, and these continue for the entire time I played the game. Weird, because this game doesn't look all that great. Aside from the facial-work (which was fine but looked like actors acting way too hard to convey emotion, it is unique, but to me doesn't look natural), I'd say this game graphically is average at best, Mafia 2, GTA 4, and Red Dead Redemption all look much better. Driving is a hassle. There is no compass or arrow so you have to rely on another worthless Rockstar mini-map or your partner, he's no use however because he never shuts up long enough to give you any assistance. NPC cars drive like maniacs, not following driving laws, they don't stop when they should, they speed and plow into you like you aren't even there, and they end up causing traffic jams that cause you to have to find an alternate route to get where you are going. The handling is also way too twitchy. The gunfights are ridiculous, as any shot an enemy receives is fatal, it is far too simplistic. Chasing criminals on foot is as simple as holding down the run button and pointing the camera where you want to go, the game does all the platforming for you, lame. The rest of the game boils down to being a "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" mini-game (you're given lifelines like "poll the audience" and "remove one answer") wrapped inside a boring point and click adventure. You wander around a crime scene and look for obviously placed evidence, point to which one you want to look at and then relevant info is put into your notepad. Music plays and the controller vibrates when you're near a clue. Wowee! That's revolutionary! Then to the worst part of the game, interrogation. You shift from looking at your notebook and the person you're interviewing and select words, phrases, and evidence. The person reacts, problem is you really can't tell if they're telling the truth or not. They could look like they're lying and be telling the truth and vice versa. You can either believe them, doubt them, or call them a liar. Sometimes if you doubt them they confess something, but if you accuse them flat-out they refuse to answer anymore questions, there really isn't any rhyme or reason to anything they say or do, leading to multiple retries to get the desired result. This leads to the biggest problem with the game, the save feature. I thought games couldn't have a more arbitrary and fun-sapping save feature than those in the Dead Rising series, wrong. There is only one save file, and although there are saves at checkpoints, if you restart, you have to go all the way back to the beginning of the case, not where the game auto-saved, pointless. Some of these cases are very long and all of your progress up to the restart point is lost. The game is all about trial and error, and punishes you if you don't get a desired result. Making matters worse is the fact that if you mess up you could miss out on clues for upcoming or connected cases. Why punish the player? I should have the option to retry a section I wasn't happy with without having to start the case all over. There are also long cutscenes you can't skip through. On top of all this the story is disjointed and boring, there are plenty of poor attempts at humor, and I didn't particularly like any of the characters either. This game is an almost-broken, repetitious mess. I will be staying away from Team Bondi's future attempts like the plague. I'm all for new experiences, they do need to be fun though. Heck, Heavy Rain was one big quick-time event, but at least it was fun and had a good story. Expand
  46. May 20, 2011
    Pros:
    - Great facial motion capture technology
    - Same control and feel of other GTA games - Good voice acting Cons: - 6 hours in and I still haven't found any fun in the game. - Very short on a variety of game mechanics - Boring play cycle: 1) Play "Where's Waldo" with clues until the music stops. 2) Interview person of interest. 3) Make an arrest (chase). 4) Interrogate and convict. -
    Pros:
    - Great facial motion capture technology
    - Same control and feel of other GTA games
    - Good voice acting

Cons:
    - 6 hours in and I still haven't found any fun in the game.
    - Very short on a variety of game mechanics
    - painfully linear progression through the story with inconsequential radio missions on the side.

Overall, this game is terribly disappointing.

There are so many opportunities for this game to be great that were wasted. The game tracks experience and will "level up" the main character, but none of the improvements make the player's character inherently better at solving crimes, making arrests or interrogation. It feels like an ambitious screen writer wanted to take a crack at bringing the silver screen to the console, but forgot that to be a great console experience requires more than being a film production. Buying a video game is buying fun, in a box, not just a passive entertainment experience. $60 later and I am still searching for the fun and trying to understand why the "professional" metacritic rating is so high while user's are panning the game as mediocre.

Save some money and pass this title.
  47. Jun 30, 2011
    You will totally forget that you are playing a video game! You will totally forget you are having fun! Intrigued?

Okay! Do you like "Murder She Wrote"? Do you enjoy choose your own adventure books? Do you enjoy watching games instead of playing them? Are you bad at traditional video games? Well if you answered yes you SHOULD definitely buy L.A. Noire, a game that focuses on facial

Okay!

Do you like "Murder She Wrote"? Do you enjoy choose your own adventure books? Do you enjoy watching games instead of playing them? Are you bad at traditional video games? Well if you answered yes you SHOULD definitely buy L.A. Noire, a game that focuses on facial animation, voice acting, and the boring life of a wimpy little detective. It's so fun I forgot I was having any, wait a minute?
  48. May 18, 2011
    This game has good acting, but it's really not my taste. I like a little action in my games, and design that isn't so static. I guess I'm just not into this genre in games. I'd rather watch a good crime movie and play something with teeth. Can't wait for the next Gears. :)
  49. Jun 2, 2011
    It has the Rockstar logo on the box, so I was expecting great things. But...It's just...boring.

During one case, I had to chase this bloke who had a shot gun, so I was looking forward to a bit of gun play. He hid behind a wall, so I took cover too. He popped out and I took aim and shot him in the arm. He flopped down dead, action over. Booo! Car chase sequence. The cars handle just a

Car chase sequence. The cars handle just a bit too well. I'm expecting some over steer from a big old American car, but they corner like they're on rails. This caused me to mount the kerb at high speed. Wouldn't have looked good, me a Police detective, smearing some innocents along the pavement. Fortunately for them, they just bounced off the car like they were made of rubber. Boooo!

That's as far as it goes for the good bits.

The rest was the usual:
    Wander around looking for clues. Pick things up. Look at them. If it's relevant it goes in the note book. Dull, dull, dull.

Pre-scripted witness/suspect questions and the Truth/Doubt/Lie option following the answer. That gets really boring after the first two Q&A sessions.

Why is this game getting such high scores?
    The face animation does look good. But it doesn't make for a good game. It's a gimmick. This is the gaming equivalent of the Emperor's New Clothes.
  50. Nov 23, 2012
    I would call this game L.A. Bore. This game is worse then GTA 4 and im not even sure how thats possable. I was so bored playing this game. What good is an open world you can do nothing in. Plus the story is lame.
  51. Mar 8, 2013
    I grew up loving the hardboiled detective film noire types of movies so when I heard about this I was quite excited since it was right up my alley.

Sadly though the end product is nothing like it could have been. This is basically a snooze fest disguised as a game. Honestly, if it didn't have Rockstar's name on the box it wouldn't be rated highly as it is or sold as well despite the fact Rockstar did not make this game.

My main dislikes with the game are.......

1- You never really detect anything. You walk around till you get a little chime meaning you press the x button and pickup the clue. If the clue needs to be examined further the game will tell you so. Once you have the clues your partner will signal you it's time to go somewhere else. The game basically walks you through detecting everything and finding clues. It tells you when you need to hit what buttons and where.

2- You can't mess up interrogations. This was lauded as a big feature for the game. If you blow the interrogation then you just do it again. Even if you guess wrong when your judging a person's true intentions you can still win the game without ever getting one right. You can go right through the game by guessing everything wrong when its decision time while interviewing someone. The game basically won't let you make mistakes that stop the game play and there are no consequences for anything during interrogations. There is no need to study a person's facial reactions or what they say because it doesn't matter. Guess right? No advantage. Guess wrong? No punishment.

3- The facial animations while good are just a gimmick. Another big selling point for the game is just a gimmick. Again looking at people's faces during interrogation to guess if they are lying or not doesn't matter since you don't have to be right. The facial animations are nice but it doesn't matter aesthetically because their bodies still move like stiff puppets. And they still aren't lifelike because they are over exaggerated to be noticeable. I personally wish they hadn't wasted all the money on filming actors in a fancy studio with all this high tech equipment and instead used the money to hire better writers for the game and work on making it more fun instead of just being a gateway for their facial animation tech. Honestly the animations felt more like a tech demo they were hoping to get other developers to license the tech for their games.

4- The game is incredibly linear. Yes a couple times you can chose to shake down a bartender instead of checking up on a drug addict but you never really get to chose anything. The game firmly holds your hand from the start to the finish and never let's go. I felt more like a errand boy out driving from point A to point B and then from C to D.

5- The storyline while not bad isn't that great. The main storyline starting out builds and builds and builds then suddenly it just stops and comes to a half with a very paper thin plot excuse and then suddenly you thrust off in another direction with no looking back. They just go to all this trouble of building up to something and then suddenly pull the rug out and leave you unsatisfied. The ending is very, very unsatisfying as well.

6- Team bondi has been saying the game isn't finished and that's easily noticeable just playing through it. They left the game kind of shallow in order to sell more DLC to gamers and that's obvious since they have been releasing DLC since its release and have recently announced more. It's just a shame they would release a 60 dollar game partially gutted so they can sell DLC and turn it into a 100 dollar game.

7- 60% of the game is still just grand theft auto. Just like in grand theft auto you have to drive a car for hours and hours and hours while you playing doing absolutely nothing but going up and down the same boring streets as a time sink. You can take any car you want like in GTA, you'll waste hours of time driving just like GTA, when you run it's just like in GTA, when you shoot or fight it's just like GTA, in fact everything that isn't investigating or interrogating is just like GTA.

In the end this game is wasted potential. I really wish I had waited till it eventually drops to 5 bucks or less because that's all it's worth. I had a lot of fun for about 6 hours and after that I find myself playing it just to finish it since I paid for it. I was really disappointed in this game.
  52. Sep 23, 2011
    I really wish I knew what happened to Rockstar, because GTA3 was as much fun as I've had playing a video game. it's also the last time I nad fun playing a game put out by Rockstar. Their 'games' are technically brilliant. The graphics are outstanding, the sounds are spot on they do a solid job creating environments and mood, but their games don't have the tiniest bit of fun in them.
  53. May 26, 2011
    If you love GTA, then chances are you will not like this game. LA Noire consists mostly of carefully driving yourself from one heavily-scripted, semi-interactive cutscene to the next, and if you don't want to drive you don't even have to do that, you can let your partner do it. The sandbox aspect could be entirely removed from the game and you'd still have the same game. While interactingIf you love GTA, then chances are you will not like this game. LA Noire consists mostly of carefully driving yourself from one heavily-scripted, semi-interactive cutscene to the next, and if you don't want to drive you don't even have to do that, you can let your partner do it. The sandbox aspect could be entirely removed from the game and you'd still have the same game. While interacting with the world, you can't jump, you can't run (you can do a brisk trot, but that's it), you can't climb things, hell it won't even let you pull out your gun. This is an extremely restrictive game that completely departs from what we've come to expect from Rockstar. Expand
  54. Jun 12, 2011
    With the logo on the bottom of the box and the extensive hype and advertising you have to wonder what they were boasting about. Okay, the face motion technology is well done and does bring some elements of pleasant suprise but apart from that you really don't have anything else to do. You can play through the whole game and not feel as though you have bought a sandbox, Rockstar game. YouWith the logo on the bottom of the box and the extensive hype and advertising you have to wonder what they were boasting about. Okay, the face motion technology is well done and does bring some elements of pleasant suprise but apart from that you really don't have anything else to do. You can play through the whole game and not feel as though you have bought a sandbox, Rockstar game. You are not allowed to pull your gun where and when you want because that is completely up to the game and thee storyline. When you compare this to a game like Red Dead redemption where you could hog tie a nun to the train tracks if you desired this game seems very, very tame and restrictive. You aren't even allowed to run at more than a jog. For a game with such innovative features it seems as though the creators have focused and been swept along with this new technology and forgot about the reason people are really buying this game which is to be a cop in the 40's in L.A. with your own brand of justice ready to be issued but it feels as though you are really no more than a passenger in a story. There really isn't any refreshing elements of the game after 4 hours of gameplay and certainly lacks any desire for dedicating a whole evening to it. Poor effort all in all and seems like a waste of money and a big disappointment from a big company. If I hadn't played a lot of previous Rockstar titles I would be wondering whether I would invest in new games but hopefully they will learn from this mistake and stick to what they know from now on e.g. Red Dead and GTA. Expand
  55. Aug 25, 2011
    terrible....just f**king terrible. absolute garbage. You either drive or shoot or question. A linear story tantamount to watching cardboard decay. Everyone loves to hate anything successful (i.e: halo and COD franchise) and yet lord this garbage over our head calling it innovative. Its not innovative, its just lazy and bland. It boils down to an interactive movie experience with aterrible....just f**king terrible. absolute garbage. You either drive or shoot or question. A linear story tantamount to watching cardboard decay. Everyone loves to hate anything successful (i.e: halo and COD franchise) and yet lord this garbage over our head calling it innovative. Its not innovative, its just lazy and bland. It boils down to an interactive movie experience with a disappointing ending, that will leave you wanting your time and money back. Expand

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    In attempting to ape the triumphs of another medium, it overlooks the triumphs of its own. The result is disappointing game, but an impressive interactive experience.
  3. Jul 1, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a new breed of adventure game. It's quality and scale completely eclipse even the most important achievements in this genre and I strongly recommend it as the best interactive detective story of all time. [June 2011, p.52]