L.A. Noire Xbox 360

7.8

1. Jun 13, 2011
    Good game.
    Too much hype maybe for the "facial motion scan" technology used in this game which is honestly impressive. And it's the core of the game. Sadly, it's impact is mitigated on the overall experience. Nevertheless many developers should use this technology in all future releases.
    Good game.

Otherwise gameplay wise, the game is slow, sometimes dull so you have to be patient, shooting is 'clunky', action is repetitive (but it's not 'that' repetitive as others claim in my opinion) and most seriously, when it comes to the story's pacing itself, it's a little messy. Suddenly some important events occur abruptly, very quickly in the scenario/story (could have been smoother) You have no real control over the events: even if you fail questioning, the game will still go on and there's absolutely no real attachment/affection/sympathy to any of the characters in the game.

It's a good game, a nice and courageous try but it's definitely not a gaming revolution as some might have claimed.

7.5/10
    Not Bad
  2. Jul 30, 2011
    You cannot really think of this as a video game. Its more like an interactive film.

Although the story telling, acting and atmosphere are amazing, I found the crucial interrogation system to be deeply flawed. If I got a question wrong I would quit out to the menu and reload from the same point, otherwise I miss out on the plot which is VERY irritating. I think they could have explored the morality aspect a bit more, it would be interesting if you weren't such a clean cut cop. If you had the ability to take bribes, plant evidence or force confessions with violence I think it would have made the game more interesting because even though Cole Phelps does everything by the book, the player should be able to make their own decisions. Instead, I felt like a passenger following him around.
  3. May 18, 2011
    This is not GTA - 1940's. You should be made completely aware of this before you decide to buy the game. The game really is pretty basic in it's game play. The basic game play is as follows:

1) Drive to Point A 2) Search for Clues 3) Interview someone 4) Get graded 5) Drive to Point B if necessary 6) Repeat When you are driving from Point A you are frequently given APB calls

1) Drive to Point A
    2) Search for Clues
    3) Interview someone
    4) Get graded
    5) Drive to Point B if necessary
    6) Repeat

When you are driving from Point A you are frequently given APB calls where you can intercept crimes. This basically consists of a shootout or chasing down a criminal across streets, up buildings and over fences.

The unfortunate part of all this is that it gets old fast. The story is good and the characters are somewhat interesting, so you keep plugging along, but you get the undying urge to want to drive/run all around the city to start trouble or see what you can get into, but it is not necessary and therefore you feel like this massive city was created for naught.

Although I enjoyed the story, it feels like there is a HUGE piece of the game that was untapped or hidden or just plain forgot about. Although the city is alive and buzzing, you feel unattached to it and its citizens and you are left wondering about all the things that could have been added to the GAME PLAY outside of the story that would have made this a Titan of a game.

The Save system might be my biggest gripe of all. It's autosave and you have no way of saving when you want, no way of reloading and trying a scenario out differently. The frustration in this is that you will sometimes know exactly how a crime went down but you might have picked the wrong question and steered the ending in a direction you did not want.

All in all, I do commend the developers for trying something new, but if this was given another year, and there was focus outside of the story, I couldn't imagine what this could have become.

Some other reviewer mentioned that this is Carmen Sandeigo for adults and I honestly couldn't agree more.
  4. May 21, 2011
    L.A. Noire was one of the few games I was looking forward to this year. The first question most people always ask is " Is it good?" Well, rest easy L.A. Noire is a good game. Team Bondi deserves recognition for taking a gigantic risk with this title (not rockstar like people believe). They succeeded mostly. I just can't help but feel that the amazing parts of this game are overshadowedL.A. Noire was one of the few games I was looking forward to this year. The first question most people always ask is " Is it good?" Well, rest easy L.A. Noire is a good game. Team Bondi deserves recognition for taking a gigantic risk with this title (not rockstar like people believe). They succeeded mostly. I just can't help but feel that the amazing parts of this game are overshadowed by the strong and noticeable flaws. The large part of the game is very repetitive. Although, you could say this strongly represents cop work. After I got to vice I found myself groaning at the presentation of more cases. Let's get one thing straight. The graphics are phenomenal. Everything has detail and is crisp,bold, and well real. I should also point out that I am a huge fan of noir. I feel that this is a bold game, but the game overstays its welcome with repetition over a ridiculous length. It reminds me of RE4. An amazing game if it hadn't lasted as long.Buy it if you must, but don't expect any replay value.I'd say it's worth a rent, but I got bored a little past halfway. Expand
  5. X11
    Aug 28, 2011
    Decent. Interesting premise. Competently done. Story was quite good at points. Rockstar voice-acting, better than most as usual. Not hoping for another in the series, however.
  6. May 21, 2011
    Creative game, new concept that works to a degree. Story driven games certainly hold interest with the broad market and this is a game that really pushes into that space. Many great things, but a few big blockers that prevent over a 7 rating: 1) Very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over with a slight twist in each story, 2) replay value is absolutely zero. No multiplayer,Creative game, new concept that works to a degree. Story driven games certainly hold interest with the broad market and this is a game that really pushes into that space. Many great things, but a few big blockers that prevent over a 7 rating: 1) Very repetitive, you do the same thing over and over with a slight twist in each story, 2) replay value is absolutely zero. No multiplayer, no change in choice. Once you beat this game it's over. In today's days, I'm not sure any game that does not have multiplayer or strong replay value of some sort gets over a 7. Expand
  7. Jul 30, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice innovative game. To keep it short:
    + Good story, for most of the game
    + Investigating is fun and original + Atmosphere, music and aesthetics are great + Action is ok + Allows you to skip parts after a few attempts to continue the story. Great idea! + Faces look terrific. + I really liked some of the main characters. - Investigation is seriously lacking. Most of the
    L.A. Noire is a nice innovative game. To keep it short:
    + Good story, for most of the game
    + Investigating is fun and original
    + Atmosphere, music and aesthetics are great
    + Action is ok
    + Faces look terrific.
    + I really liked some of the main characters.

- Investigation is seriously lacking. Most of the time it's trial and error, and error means the clue is gone forever. Knowing when to press (try to get more by intimidating) or to reveal a lie (by presenting evidence) can be very confusing and frustrating. The faces don't always help, since sometimes the "lying motion"only kicks in after 15 seconds. Phoenix Wright got this way, WAY better.
    - The story is sometimes extremely poorly told. With the plethora of characters in the game, the story writers should have done a better job keeping the spotlights right and the designers should have given an option to review past characters. Also, some of the climaxes just don't make sense, because of the addition of action gameplay. Some scenes are just ruined because random mobsters show up for no apparent reason other then to be your cannon fodder. I found the ending very unsatisfying as well.
    - Interface and restrictions are clunky sometimes, especially during the action scenes and chases.
    - Some cases are very poor. The biggest flaw of them is that they often don't leave the solving part to the player. I literally thought at some cases: This is **** neither of this suspects did it, and still I have to press charges against one. That's maybe the stupidest thing a game designer designing a game where the investigation skills of a player are tested can do. It's like saying to a soccer striker:"yeah you can run down with the ball, but God forbid you to take a shot at the goal!" It made me feel stupid, it made Cole look stupid and it made the whole cheering crowd look stupid. Again, Phoenix Wright got this WAY better.
    - (small) Some minor annoying bugs. (X360, My personal worst bug was the playing of the boss music during a tragic cutscene...)

All with all, L.A. Noire did a bold and good job, especially on the aesthetics department. The story department had it's high ups and low downs, and the gameplay department should have put some more effort in making stuff more clear to the player. I hope they learn from their design errors and take the time to make the successor of L.A. Noire a more complete and potent experience.
  8. Nov 3, 2011
    Good story line and interesting characters make this game well worth playing and the detective type role offers an unusual game playing experience on the downside the chase felon, drive to point A, chase felon, drive to point B sections get a little repetitive but still worth a play through.
  9. Jun 1, 2011
    For those who loved the GTA series, L.A. Noire has got to be a taste of something familiar. But that's not always a good thing. The characters and cars handle about as good as a drunk guy pushing an overloaded wheelbarrow over a grease covered hockey rink. Now that I've got the biggest negative out of the way, we can move onto more positive territory.Ã
  10. May 17, 2011
    The presentation does not allow for me to give this game a bad score. All of the positives in this regard have been stated in a bunch of other reviews here already. The gameplay is seriously lacking, though. If they would have put even a third as much effort into shootouts and car chases as they did to what amount to nothing more than interactive cutscenes, this would be an amazingThe presentation does not allow for me to give this game a bad score. All of the positives in this regard have been stated in a bunch of other reviews here already. The gameplay is seriously lacking, though. If they would have put even a third as much effort into shootouts and car chases as they did to what amount to nothing more than interactive cutscenes, this would be an amazing game. As it stands, the clunky mechanics and lack of any real challenge in either action or investigation cause LA Noire to fall a little short. Expand
  11. May 24, 2011
    Wow this game is Amazing ON PS3,to bad for Xbox users 3 discs LMAO. Overall it's a must have game that harkens back to era of simpler times.Gunplay is it not as exciting as you would expect,but the story is where it shines,think of this game as more of an interactive story and treat it as such.
  12. May 17, 2011
    Let me begin by saying that if you think this game is grand theft auto in the 1940's you should stay away. This game was probably a little over-hyped because it's published by Rockstar and we usually know what to expect from them. This game goes in a completely different direction. You CAN NOT go around and jack cars and beat up hookers. You actually have to act like a cop, which is goodLet me begin by saying that if you think this game is grand theft auto in the 1940's you should stay away. This game was probably a little over-hyped because it's published by Rockstar and we usually know what to expect from them. This game goes in a completely different direction. You CAN NOT go around and jack cars and beat up hookers. You actually have to act like a cop, which is good and bad. It's not quite as open as the grand theft auto games, but it is much more interesting and engaging. Some cases are boring, and some are great. The interviews and interrogations are pretty cool, but they kind of hold your hand through it. If you do something wrong and fail the case, you just go back to the last checkpoint. The facial animations are awesome, but not something I particularly care much about because it's a GAME. It is not a movie, which is what it feels like at times. I would usually be upset that the developers spent most of their money on crap like facial animations because I would think it would take away from the rest of the game. In this case, I don't notice anything. This is a very polished game. I'm giving it a 7 because it was over-hyped and the interviews and game videos leading up to the release were very misleading (trust me, I saw all of it). Please don't expect an action packed, high-octane thrill ride of a game. This game moves much slower. I expected this, but I wanted the investigations and clue system to be a little bit deeper. Overall, this game is a good buy. Unlike everyone else, I don't necessarily think it makes you feel like a detective, but it is certainly very fun and engaging. Definitely rent before you buy if you can. This game is good, but it's not for everyone. Expand
  13. May 19, 2011
    I'm gonna give it to you guys straight: If you're looking for action (car chases, gunfights etc), then this game is not for you. While such action is present, it's not that great nor is it that fun. Aiming is clunky and imprecise, cover is equally as clunky and enemies have very little health compared to Cole, who is practically a tank. Driving isn't too bad. A little touchy andI'm gonna give it to you guys straight: If you're looking for action (car chases, gunfights etc), then this game is not for you. While such action is present, it's not that great nor is it that fun. Aiming is clunky and imprecise, cover is equally as clunky and enemies have very little health compared to Cole, who is practically a tank. Driving isn't too bad. A little touchy and unrealistic, but not too bad. Foot chases are always the exact same thing and it gets a little repetitive. All chases are heavily scripted, and the runner is always faster than Cole. It doesn't even really feel like you're chasing them, just following them until the scene ends. The action on a whole is pretty sub-par and just not very engaging.

On the graphics front, it's not too bad. The face animation is unlike anything you've seen in a game before and is definitely this game's biggest accomplishment. Player animations are pretty smooth on a whole; Cole tends to make smooth transitions from walking, to running, to jumping over an obstacle, to climbing a drainpipe. However, there are a few sloppy animations, such as the snap to cover, in which it looks as though Cole is practically teleporting into the nearest cover. The graphics otherwise are pretty good, textures are great, as are the models; but everything looks a little blurry, and the framerate has trouble staying smooth in quite a few areas.

Now, for where the game really shines: it's story, and playing as a detective. Each case feels unique (aside from the very predictable chases that ensue every time you find the culprit), and become increasingly challenging as Cole moves up the food chain. The player rarely feels at a loss, however, because with the careful spending of intuition points, the player can make it through the most difficult interrogations flawlessly. Clue finding feels rewarding when you stumble onto a clue amidst the junk, but is never too difficult. If the player is having a hard time finding clues, the player has the option to turn on some context sensitive sounds, such as a chime when you're near something that can be investigated, to help point them in the right direction. However, detective-work can become irritating for perfectionists, as the game will continue even if you fail to collect all clues in the area and correctly gauge each suspect. This can lead to the frequent need to load a save, which is all that much more annoying due to the fact that there is no "Load Checkpoint" option. The player is forced to quit to the main menu and hit resume game, which will put him back at the start of the last location he entered, forcing him to recollect all clues before getting back to the interrogation.

Overall, the game's core elements (story and detective-work) feel pretty on (thanks in no small part to the impressive MotionScan technology), but is ultimately held back by the rest of the game; feeling half finished and underwhelming, as well as a few development oversights, such as the lack of a decent checkpoint system, forcing you to replay large sections of the game should you screw up. To give a score, I think a 7/10 feels about right.
  14. May 24, 2011
    Solid game but as much fun as watching paint dry. I read a review that actually said the game was too short and the length of games is always an issue for nerds but at every moment of the last quarter of this game I was wishing the game was over already. On the positive the faces are amazing, they really ad an emotional level to the characters that wasn't possible before. If you playSolid game but as much fun as watching paint dry. I read a review that actually said the game was too short and the length of games is always an issue for nerds but at every moment of the last quarter of this game I was wishing the game was over already. On the positive the faces are amazing, they really ad an emotional level to the characters that wasn't possible before. If you play with subtitles you are ruining the experience. Expand
  15. May 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. About 3/4th of the way through. Fun game, great concept. However it is a little repetitive. Chasing the suspect every other mission with the same outcome is kind of becoming common. Other than that, I would recommend the game. Expand
  16. May 30, 2011
    Initially impressive - and kudos to Rockstar and Team Bondi for doing something a little different - but soon a feeling of being too tightly directed takes hold. In one case, because I chose to follow a particular line of inquiry (not in the order the developers intended), I wasn't given the opportunity to go question someone else against whom I had evidence: the case just got closed andInitially impressive - and kudos to Rockstar and Team Bondi for doing something a little different - but soon a feeling of being too tightly directed takes hold. In one case, because I chose to follow a particular line of inquiry (not in the order the developers intended), I wasn't given the opportunity to go question someone else against whom I had evidence: the case just got closed and one perp got off without so much as a visit from me. The illusion of 'reality' given by the underlying story, the facial mo-cap and the real-world environment is shattered by you not having the freedom of choice you would have in that situation. In short: the novelty and tech raise your expectations, then fail to meet them. There is a similar tension between the need to solve crimes and the inability to pursue your own ideas of how and why those crimes took place. To get this right in a videogame is of course supremely difficult, but maybe less emphasis should have been put on restrictive story arcs and more on standalone cases that gave you a little more freedom to fail.

The developers want you to experience 'the story' from beginning to end and this becomes too apparent about a third of the way in. It is still an enjoyable game and, as a gamer of long experience, I'm pleased to have something different and more mature in theme and execution to play, but it isn't the landmark some reviews would have you believe.There are odd visual glitches (eg, a taxi driver standing on his car instead of sitting inside it, a man laying in, rather than on, a mattress), and frame rate issues when things get busy. The switch between sandbox and cut scene, eg, when you arrive at the scene of an incident, can also be a little jarring, but overall it is a beautiful, evocative thing to look at and listen to.

It seems churlish to give it a low score given the amount of effort that has clearly gone into the game. Without the huge 3-disc environment, the professional acting and the facial animation innovation it would be a 6. With it, it deserves a 7. With the gameplay challenges of the format overcome it would have been a 9. Let's hope the good bits turn up in other games in the future and that no one tries to do something similar, but with less effort and panache (yeah, we can hope...).
  17. Jun 8, 2011
    About two thirds of the way through the game my save file got corrupted. I failed a chase and instead of starting the sequence over on respawn I was still in the middle of the chase, but no bad guy in sight and it won't fail again. On restart it resets back to the same broken place over and over. Since there is no save game other than the checkpoint that put me in the position of havingAbout two thirds of the way through the game my save file got corrupted. I failed a chase and instead of starting the sequence over on respawn I was still in the middle of the chase, but no bad guy in sight and it won't fail again. On restart it resets back to the same broken place over and over. Since there is no save game other than the checkpoint that put me in the position of having to restart the game from scratch or abandon the effort. I quickly realized I have no interest in doing it all again so I will probably trade the game in this weekend. There is nothing broken about the game (other than my corrupted file) - it's just repetitive, and not that interesting once you get over the novelty. I definately give Rockstar an "A" for effort both in trying a new game format and a new game setting but there has to be more to a game than novelty. Expand
  18. Jun 1, 2011
    I was really looking forward to this one, and have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed. It's not bad, it's just not great either. If you're looking for a really immersive and intriguing game then Heavy Rain on the PS3 is far better. Admittedly, LA Noire touches on new ideas that haven't been covered this well before - the detective work is actually quite interesting, but does get dull byI was really looking forward to this one, and have to admit I'm somewhat disappointed. It's not bad, it's just not great either. If you're looking for a really immersive and intriguing game then Heavy Rain on the PS3 is far better. Admittedly, LA Noire touches on new ideas that haven't been covered this well before - the detective work is actually quite interesting, but does get dull by the time you get to disc 2 (On Xbox). It's very repetitive, and seems lacking in the depth I expected from the game. However, that said, it's still good enough to keep playing but if you haven't got it already, I'd suggest waiting for the price to drop before forking out your hard-earned. Expand
  19. Jun 7, 2011
    It's a genuine step forward, and a great achievement. Some aspects are spot on, such as the clue hunting and elements of the story. Attempting to make more of an interactive film than a responsive video game is commendable, and hopefully this will pave the way for similar material. However, for no one reason I can specify, it's just not that engaging. The frame rate drops on the xbox don'tIt's a genuine step forward, and a great achievement. Some aspects are spot on, such as the clue hunting and elements of the story. Attempting to make more of an interactive film than a responsive video game is commendable, and hopefully this will pave the way for similar material. However, for no one reason I can specify, it's just not that engaging. The frame rate drops on the xbox don't help either Expand
  20. Jun 19, 2011
    While i appreciate the effort that was put into the atmosphere, art direction and overall feel of L.A. Noire, i couldnt help but feel it fizzled out at around a 3rd of my way into the game. It lost my interest, and in todays gaming world, getting gamers to keep your game disc in there console is more important than ever. Unfortunately, despite great ideas and some interesting cases, TeamWhile i appreciate the effort that was put into the atmosphere, art direction and overall feel of L.A. Noire, i couldnt help but feel it fizzled out at around a 3rd of my way into the game. It lost my interest, and in todays gaming world, getting gamers to keep your game disc in there console is more important than ever. Unfortunately, despite great ideas and some interesting cases, Team Bondi and Rstar games failed to grasp this philosophy. 7/10 Expand
  21. Aug 2, 2011
    The first 2/3 of the game are one long tutorial that finally picks up the Noir beat for the final stretch. However, the best parts end up more watched than played. Its worth playing if you're interested in games in general, and it's not bad for new gamers looking to hone their skills. Is it amazing? No. It is interesting? Yes.
  22. Jul 22, 2011
    Awesome concept but by the end I just wanted it to be over. Theres only so many clues I can handle searching for. At the end of the day I still think its worth picking up though.
  23. Jul 31, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimesL.A. Noire is a nice change of pace when compared to traditional sandbox third person shooters, games like GTA IV, Crackdown and Saints Row etc are all great games but have a much greater focus on explosions and OTT action. L.A. Noire has an engaging story, interesting characters and some great game mechanics not found in many other games. There's gun fights and car chases, street crimes that can be attended at any time (all of which can be skipped if desired) but the main focus of the game is the crime scene investigation and suspect interrogation. On the surface they are both very intruiging elements of gameplay but after a few hours of them, it is clear to see there isn't much depth and that proving a suspect is lying requires one piece of concrete evidence, which can be frustrating when you have multiple items that link them to the crime, but the game says "no, it has to be the correct ONE". The well detailed facial animations are the game's highlight and really help to sell each character, unfortunately everything else just seems ot have been pushed to the sidelines. Cover and shooting mechanics feel very sluggish and will lead to many a pointless death, car handling feels like you are trying to control a shopping cart weighed down with bowling balls and there really isn't anything to do in the large an oppulent recreation of L.A. The game does the atmosphere and the detective gameplay brilliantly, it's just a shame it doesn't do the other areas of the game as well. It's also a shame that the game is a product of Team Bondi's slave driving approach to development. Expand
  24. Nov 21, 2011
    When you get past the innovation and face expressions what you have is an average game that reminds me of the repetitive game play that was once assassins creed. It was fun half way in after that I could care less. I know its a detective story and its not GTA however picking A, B or C in the end is still A,B or C.
  25. Dec 6, 2011
    It starts off interesting and is good for a few hours but repetitive objectives, boring gameplay, and confusing interigation tactics leave this game's potential down for the count. It looks and sounds great and it very original and unique (something we havent seen for a while) but it gets so boring. It doesnt help that the plot to the game takes far too long to develope and it ends poorly as well.
  26. Apr 9, 2012
    I was so psyched for this game and it was a letdown. Rockstar has absolutely no clue how to finish a good story. The story started out great but quickly boiled down to stupid, illogical and finally just disappointing. They need to get rid of their writers because they suck at endings. The main character was whiny, wimpy and a moron. The face recognization was supposedly awesome but II was so psyched for this game and it was a letdown. Rockstar has absolutely no clue how to finish a good story. The story started out great but quickly boiled down to stupid, illogical and finally just disappointing. They need to get rid of their writers because they suck at endings. The main character was whiny, wimpy and a moron. The face recognization was supposedly awesome but I found it all but useless. Most of the time characters acted and looked the same irrelevant of whether they were lying or not. And if you got it wrong (and wanted 5 starts) you had to start over. I spent more time wasting away on replaying missions and sitting through the unskippable cutscenes just because the game illogically felt someone was lying. If the LAPD was so blind and stupid in that era that they couldn't recognize when they arrested the wrong person or when someone was lying then LA would have never survived. The entire "who's guilty and who's innocent" was nothing more than a writer's poor attempt at creating a believable story. There were only a handful of cases where the guilty party even made sense. It was so horribly bad.

The vehicles were hard (and unrealistic) to control, the traffic AI was really bad and the driving sections made little sense. Never once couuld I (a detective in LAPD) catch someone who decided to drive away - businessman, student, whatever. Even worse was that traffic lights seemed coded to be red when you needed to go through them so you end up driving the entire time with your siren on. Even then half the time cars would pull out in front of you anyway.

The story also went about 2 desks too long. After the homicide desk they should have stopped but instead they continued to bring down the story with the additional desks. The arson was perhaps the worst as you hardly ever played as the person you were playing the first 4 desks. Finally the save points were in bad places - just before unskippable cutscenes, after some point where you couldn't go back, etc.

On the positive notes the combat seemed reasonable, the city was huge (a good thing since you end up driving all around it forever), the graphics were great and the acting wasn't too bad. The collectibles (especially since you couldn't easily track them) needed some work and it would have been nice if the collectibles were more than just a checkbox on your list. The city could also have been used better. As it stood I always had my partner drive just to get to the next part of the game.

I was so excited about this game but by the time I was half way through the game I was ready for it to end and not really impressed. I've never really been that impressed with Rockstar's games and from now on I'm going to strongly evaluate whether I'll purchase them. They just don't have a good track record of creating good ending and games worth playing.
  27. Dec 20, 2011
    The interactive detective gameplay runs smoothly and becomes pretty addicting. But I think they could have gotten a bit more creative with the cases. The plots of each murder/case are supposed to tie into each other for the sake of the overall plot, but somehow that doesn't make the repetition any less painful.
  28. Feb 11, 2012
    There are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It wasThere are a lot of great things about this game, but there are a few big things holding it back. The graphics are gorgeous, and their new facial technology is pretty impressive. The story is pretty well done overall, and you can definitely put some time into the game. However, I thought a lot of the cases were too easy, while others turned out to be someone way out of left field. It was not very satisfying to solve a case with one real suspect, and annoying to get it wrong for insignificant seeming little details. The controls are pretty clunky on the ground, which makes any shooting parts not particularly enjoyable. Overall it's a fun game with a good story, but I think it could have been executed a lot better. Expand
  29. Jul 3, 2012
    Graphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facialGraphically, this is a tour de force of a game. But, as an actual game, it is mediocre, with repetitive gameplay which is surprisingly linear for a game that on the surface looks like a sandbox game from Rockstar. That said, it is innovative, the detective elements of the game draw you in and make you feel like you're playing the role of a detective in a very real way, the facial recognition of lies etc, is an interesting concept - one they haven't really pulled off 100% (amusingly, faults are mostly due to the odd bad actor rather than the technology but it's still very good) but you have to commend the effort.

It's not going to be something you play again when you finish it, but I'd describe it as the perfect rental title. You'll finish it in a week, and feel pretty good about it when you do. So, for me, I'll ignore the repetitiveness, the overall air of pretention and just how casual the game is overall and give it a decent score. In short, you just have to recognise it for what it is. 7/10.
  30. Jul 31, 2012
    L.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases hasL.A. Noire is a hard game to judge. The game has an interesting story, good atmosphere, long campaign and above all else the game has some pretty new and interesting game mechanics that you probably have not seen before in an "AAA" game. Sadly the game is not without problems. A lot of the cases you are working on are quite similar, the driving mechanic is pretty bad, a lot of cases has a weird and unnatural progression combined with a lack of interactivity, the side missions are quite similar to each other, the interviewing mechanics could be improved and the biggest flaw of them all is that the game gets repetitive. No matter the case the gameplay structure stays the same. The game is a pony with a few tricks it keeps showing over and over again and quite frankly it gets kind of boring after a while. If you however like me play 1 or 2 cases every now and then you are probably going to have a blast. This game could have been fantastic, in the end its simply good. Hopefully some game in the future will fix be just that. Expand

1. Jul 26, 2011
    Look past the glitz of technical achievements, richly designed sets, ostensibly interactive environments, and you will see the real L.A. Noire – a vapid adventure with a hole-ridden plot, a boring unsympathetic hero, and rough stitches in places where content should be.
  2. Jul 13, 2011
    In attempting to ape the triumphs of another medium, it overlooks the triumphs of its own. The result is disappointing game, but an impressive interactive experience.
  3. CD-Action
    Jul 1, 2011
    L.A. Noire is a new breed of adventure game. It's quality and scale completely eclipse even the most important achievements in this genre and I strongly recommend it as the best interactive detective story of all time. [June 2011, p.52]