8.6

1. Sep 3, 2010
    pretty much like the first one only things improved is lots of melee wepons and the graphics look like they actaully belong on the 360 instead of the original xbox. thats about it its just as repetetive as the first. no story charicters are annoying and lame . its still to short abit longer then the first one though. again still shoulda been a budget title . i didnt expect any thing frompretty much like the first one only things improved is lots of melee wepons and the graphics look like they actaully belong on the 360 instead of the original xbox. thats about it its just as repetetive as the first. no story charicters are annoying and lame . its still to short abit longer then the first one though. again still shoulda been a budget title . i didnt expect any thing from this game and thats what i got . makes me glad i just rented it. if you loved the first you will probubly like this one as long as you didnt set your hopes high there was gona be much of a improvement . otherwsie at best rent it and forget about it. Expand
  2. Dec 10, 2011
    The gameplay is very good and playing versus is increadibly fun. Unfortunely the community killed this game. Most of the players don't know what word ''teamwork'' means at all, making playing this game increadibly annoying to play. If you can run this game fine on computer, buy this game to it. Avoid Xbox 360 port at all cost.
  3. Dec 19, 2010
    When I first heard about L4D2 I was skeptical and thought that it could have just as easily been DLC or an expansion pack that just added a few extra campaigns and some new weapons/enemies.

It turns out that I was 100% right on this one, it's still Left 4 Dead (just as we know and love it), it just has...some extra crap thrown in to try and mix it up a bit (which it sorta does for a bit).

The difficulty has gone up since the last game, although not always in the ways that veterans of the original would hope, (AI that will cheerfully ignore your pleas for aid as you have your kidneys being ripped out right next to them being something that I am still a bit sore about), sometimes the added challenge adds to the experience but more often than not it just strikes you as the game being petty and childish (was it really necessary to spawn five Chargers in the space of three minutes?).

I guess my overall opinion is that if you liked Left 4 Dead then you'll like Left 4 Dead 2 because it's just more of the same with a slightly different colour palette and somewhat contrived anti-camping measures.
  4. Dec 27, 2011
    Disappointed to say the least. I've loved Valve right up to this point with Left 4 Dead. L4D was good, but nothing special to me, and then this mod came out and I lost all hope in Valve ever really redeeming themselves in the next 5 years...
  5. May 21, 2011
    This is one of the best game ever. Plenty of fun with friends and a very enjoyable versus mode. The coop system is the best ever seen in the games history. The animations are incredibly fluid, some of the best I've seen so far in a game. The dialogues are great, the characters say a lot of different things and are never annoying or ripetitive. Definitely a masterpiece!
  6. Sep 10, 2011
    I do not see how this game deserves a 8.9 in user scores. This game is a average FPS with unlimited ammo and weak zombies. Single player is boring and graphics are disappointing and repeating. Multiplayer is better if you play it with friends, but same goes with any other multiplayer. I did not like this game, even though I am fan of Half Life and Resident Evil series.
  7. Dec 26, 2011
    Left 4 Dead is one of the best action games I played. Hundreds of zombies and mutants like Jokeys, Tanks, Smokers and the dreaded Witchs awaits on this game. Online mode is fantastic, but single player mode is very fun too.
  8. Mar 18, 2013
    This game is alright. Nothing special. Personally i LOVE Zombies! But this game was kind of disappointing, it is fun to play at times but i found myself feeling like i had to work my way through levels to survive and it wasn't as fun as i thought. Plus the first person view is WAY too close you can barely see what is happening around you. Overall this game isn't terrible but in my opinionThis game is alright. Nothing special. Personally i LOVE Zombies! But this game was kind of disappointing, it is fun to play at times but i found myself feeling like i had to work my way through levels to survive and it wasn't as fun as i thought. Plus the first person view is WAY too close you can barely see what is happening around you. Overall this game isn't terrible but in my opinion it's only worth a rent. Expand
  9. Apr 28, 2013
    I love this game. The difficulty of this game doesn't belong in the AI of the zombies but yourself and teammates. You could play on easy and get demolished if you're just fooling around. The very few weapons that was added isn't much and enough to complain about that there aren't enough weapons for the zombie shooter. The new infected feel generic but easily liked because they pulled themI love this game. The difficulty of this game doesn't belong in the AI of the zombies but yourself and teammates. You could play on easy and get demolished if you're just fooling around. The very few weapons that was added isn't much and enough to complain about that there aren't enough weapons for the zombie shooter. The new infected feel generic but easily liked because they pulled them off. Melee weapons added are very very awesome, it upgraded the game twice. though it is fun, I don't think it will get any better than a 7 for me. Expand
  10. Nov 30, 2013
    Agh where do I start. Okay before you read this I love the original Left 4 Dead zombies, forced to use team work to kick undead ass, and play as a zombie to kick living ass sign me up." Okay *sigh* Left 4 Dead 2 is a huge disappointment for me. First it's like the original with a fresh new coat of paint. Next is that it didn't do anything different, it did add umm let me see FOUR or FIVEAgh where do I start. Okay before you read this I love the original Left 4 Dead zombies, forced to use team work to kick undead ass, and play as a zombie to kick living ass sign me up." Okay *sigh* Left 4 Dead 2 is a huge disappointment for me. First it's like the original with a fresh new coat of paint. Next is that it didn't do anything different, it did add umm let me see FOUR or FIVE new guns(I'll talk about melee weapons later) I mean for real and all they are is a upgraded version that felt like the original weapons just with a different name and shape. As for the special thing in the game is the melee weapons one thing, if you implanted them in this why diD'T THEY ADD IT IN THE ORIGINAL. I'm not kidding they felt like something missing in the original, also the DLC that included the original survivors made this more true. Also the versus is down right broken, survivors damage you quickly, and playing as the survivors it's frustrating cause your team get destroyed easy, and the new infected are just plain boring with the exception of the Jocky.

However there is some redeeming factors, one I liked one new game type called Realism. It's really creative to think of it, in this mode there is no glow around items and teammates so if they get incapacitated you really wouldn't know where they are, also the zombies can not killed instantly with a body shot with a strong weapon like the sniper rifle instead you do more damage if you shot them in the head,*classic* because of the new mode it improved the score a bit.

From a company like VAVLE I thought I would be more impressed but this is just wow just wow.
  11. Aug 29, 2010
    Left 4 dead 2 is a very fun game. Nothing beats taking out zombies with a baseball bat, but doing it on the same maps gets very old. Don't get me wrong i like this game it's just since there's only like 6 maps it does get old. They did come out with the passing but it sucked. I hear there's another add on coming out but i will not be getting it cause i traded mine in for Bad company 2. TheLeft 4 dead 2 is a very fun game. Nothing beats taking out zombies with a baseball bat, but doing it on the same maps gets very old. Don't get me wrong i like this game it's just since there's only like 6 maps it does get old. They did come out with the passing but it sucked. I hear there's another add on coming out but i will not be getting it cause i traded mine in for Bad company 2. The characters are brilliant and so is this game. It's just the same 6 maps do get old. I give it a 8 out of 10 Expand
  12. Jul 4, 2011
    For a long while, Team Fortress 2 was my favourite Live game, with it's varied character classes and Pixar-esque graphical style. The along came Left 4 Dead 2. Left 4 Dead 2 offers TF2 style variety, and then some. Taking the class-based formulae and filling it with BRAAAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNSSSS, L4D2 is a near-perfect multiplayer game, that any self respecting game should play. It's a reallyFor a long while, Team Fortress 2 was my favourite Live game, with it's varied character classes and Pixar-esque graphical style. The along came Left 4 Dead 2. Left 4 Dead 2 offers TF2 style variety, and then some. Taking the class-based formulae and filling it with BRAAAAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNSSSS, L4D2 is a near-perfect multiplayer game, that any self respecting game should play. It's a really solid shooter, firstly, as playing as the survivors is just as fun as being the zombies, thanks to fun weapons and grenades. And then I move on to the zombies themselves, who play the more tactical game. Survivors cling together to survive, while the zombies get to choose crafty spawn points to suit their classes particular skills. The Boomer, a puking, fat zombie that can cause a huge hoard of common infected to attack the survivors, either by puking on them or exploded on them. There's also the Spitter, who throws a great big acid patch onto the floor, damaging the survivors and, if your particularly crafty, netting you a few Achievements. There's also the Smoker and Hunter, the former dragging survivors to there death with his huge tongue, while the latter climbs onto rooftops before leaping onto survivors and ripping them to pieces. The Charger and the Tank are sort of similar, as the Charger is a hulking brute who grabs survivors and pummels them, while the Tank just generally throws rocks and smacks survivors into oblivion. The last playable Infected is the Jockey, who jumps onto survivors and drives them into the zombies, causing said survivor to become a mound of flesh and blood. The single player campaign is also enjoyable enough, but it's far superior in co-op, with all it's zombie shooting, grenade throwing, with stalking shenanigans. Ah yes, the Witch. The Witch is a fast, powerful Infected who if you startle will kill you or knock you down, and then you will have to rely on your fellow survivors to help you. With is the point of the game really-teamwork. It forces you to work with your friends for a truly great survival-based multiplayer game, whilst being both addictive and satisfying. Expand
  13. Sep 24, 2010
    I'm not what you would call a "video game person", yet after playing this once, I've been obsessed with this game. Much better than the sequel, and the three extra infected characters are definitely worth the time. Even more weapons, plus even more zombies equals a hell of a time!
  14. Oct 25, 2010
    This is a highly addictive game. Yes you will lose interest after a while but add some friends and turn it to hard and guess what... I new found fun time... Anyone who gives this game lower than an 8 must not have any friends to play with... Multi player or multi player VS. is where this game shines!
  15. Nov 15, 2011
    While multiplayer has seen quite a bit of updating, Pretty much everything is the same. Short campaign with no replay value, The exact same gameplay with no difference what so ever, Decent graphics that are poorly designed. Left 4 Dead 2 doesnt impress as much as the first game does.
  16. Apr 27, 2011
    9/10 = Amazing = Addictive and very well designed shooter. Some of the best Co-op and versus action you can possibly find on console.
  17. Nov 17, 2010
    This game right here is the pretty much the only reason why i even buy the ridiculous price to play online, LOVE THIS GAME. love the 1 as well. I like how this game has more levels with actually light given L4D1 was pretty much a dark setting that whole time. I mean this game is just fun, shooting zombies with Ellis all day, does it really get any better than that?
  18. Nov 22, 2010
    Firstly, this is way better than the original. The characters are funnier, the fighting is better, and the game is harder. But not harder in an off putting way though, harder in a way which makes you just want to kick ass. Plus the game is actually intelligent, in that if you seem to be struggling with your path of progression it can actually change to adapt to your skill level so repeatFirstly, this is way better than the original. The characters are funnier, the fighting is better, and the game is harder. But not harder in an off putting way though, harder in a way which makes you just want to kick ass. Plus the game is actually intelligent, in that if you seem to be struggling with your path of progression it can actually change to adapt to your skill level so repeat plays can make a completely different experience increasing the playability.

The melee weapons are the big new thing about L4D2. Killing the undead with a guitar is surprisingly fun, although I must admit the fun of hacking and slashing your way through the hoard does wear off slightly, and you'll probably find yourself switching back to your gun often. By far my favourites are the axe and the chainsaw. The chainsaw especially when used again the witches. They were the one special zombie which caused me no end of deaths in the original L4D, so the satisfaction of bringing one down alone in five seconds flat is extremely fun.

The special zombies are much more common in the sequel (or at least I noticed them more). The new ones are Spitters (My mortal enemy) who spew out pools of acid which are deathly if you stroll into one; Jockeys, which take control of your movement; and Chargers, who are like mini tanks but much, much easier to kill. Of course, the witches and tanks are still there in full force, along with the Boomers, Hunters and Smokers ready to massacure you in a split second if you're away from your team mates.

Speaking of team mates, L4D2 is very much a co-op game, and is really at its most enjoyable when played with a friend (or three). Team work really is essential when the zombies start swarming you, and to help you find ammunition and all the good weapons. It's encouraged further with the addition of a defibrillator kit to revive dying team mates, plus rooms which you have to locate to revive dead team mates (and there's nothing as annoying as sitting back while your team mates refuse to find the door because they're on a roll, but then on the up side, you can vote to kick them).

Mind you, all that team mate stuff goes out the door in the online versus games, when four of you are the survivors and four of you are trying to annihilate them ruthlessly. Probably better played with strangers, since you will fall out. A lot. Especially when they start teaming up on the weak one. Which is usually me.

A little note about the AI characters here. They're crap. I wouldn't like to play the game solo on a hard difficulty because the AI characters have stopped being as good as they were in the original and started being incredibly dumb. They'll revive and heal you sometimes, but I found they shoot less and get hurt more and sometimes even leave you to die while they go off and save their own sorry asses. And that's just not cool. The AI is the only thing about the game where the original L4D has the edge.

As well as Versus and Campaign mode, you can also play Survival and Scavenge, which are shorter and more competitive (if you can get more competitive than Versus). Survival sees you battling to stay alive for as long as possible against swarming hoards, and with no chance of escape it really does come down to who lasts the longest. Great way to get used to using the weapons, but it does get a little old quickly. Scavenge mode has more replayability as you can play as survivors trying to collect gas tanks to fill up a generator and thus add time to keep a rapid clock counting down going, or as the infected trying to stop them. Again, you'll probably fall out by the end. But in a fun way.

Overall, this a game I'll be recommending. If you liked the original, you'll like this even better, it's a much more rounded game and although the same could've probably been achieved with a couple of expansion packs, that wouldn't have been half as satisfying. If you're new to the series then buy this instead of the first one.
  19. Nov 21, 2010
    If you loved the first game you'll love this one too. New people, some new weapons, able to carry and use melee wepaons, more campaigns, longer game, tons of fun.
  20. Dec 18, 2010
    I played countless hours of L4D 1 and loved every minute of it. The second installment introduces new features, game modes and characters to go along with the new levels and it's certainly more L4D goodness. The levels are more open and the AI director keeps the pressure on where the first game felt more directed and varied in pace, there are also more elaborate set pieces which to crop upI played countless hours of L4D 1 and loved every minute of it. The second installment introduces new features, game modes and characters to go along with the new levels and it's certainly more L4D goodness. The levels are more open and the AI director keeps the pressure on where the first game felt more directed and varied in pace, there are also more elaborate set pieces which to crop up half way through chapters as well as at the end. The controls are still the fastest and most crisp of any console FPS, suiting the fast pace of the game.

But something has taken the shine off it this time around, perhaps the characters and the locale don't ring the same zombie movie bells and the level design doesn't lend itself to keeping a tight team. Or maybe it's just that the excitingly team co-op gameplay from the first game isn't so new here. Either way I'm happy that I parted with the cash as it's still good and Valve deserve our support for their contribution to gaming in general.

Now how about a single player game using the same IP?
  21. Apr 5, 2011
    6 Word Review from Familiar Fan: Has replay value with laughable flaws. IF you're a fan familiar with the Left 4 Dead series, it's almost like playing Left 4 Dead again, but there are differences in Left 4 Dead 2. One big difference is that you shove is limited down from the last game. After a certain number of shoves, you can't shove anymore. If you desired weapon diversity and new6 Word Review from Familiar Fan: Has replay value with laughable flaws. IF you're a fan familiar with the Left 4 Dead series, it's almost like playing Left 4 Dead again, but there are differences in Left 4 Dead 2. One big difference is that you shove is limited down from the last game. After a certain number of shoves, you can't shove anymore. If you desired weapon diversity and new Special Infected, that has been added. The two biggest flaws, might be different for each person, I have with this game is two things: very stupid AI and poor fun with AI. The AI is very stupid, often so much so that it can be game changing (you may not have to deal with AI, but I do since I don't have Live. I often experience these problems with the AI in Co-op Campaign). Often times, AI will change from pistol to tier weapons at the worlds worst and weirdest time. AI also has a tendency to stay silent about hidden items, such as: better weapons, Pills, and First Aid. If you have live capabilities, your experience may be different from mine. Expand
  22. May 2, 2011
    This was a GREAT game has everything you could want guns, funny characters, and ZOMBIES just go out and buy it and you wont regret it. Graphics are great the sounds and music make it a scary and enjoyable experience. I would recommended this to anyone who is looking for a zombie game with a good campain, good humor and just a good time.
  23. Feb 26, 2013
    As with the original Left 4 Dead 2 sees players take on the role of one of four survivors just after the outbreak that turned most of the population into either zombies or even more powerful mutants. The game leads these Survivors through the south-eastern region of the US bringing the level of dramatic co-op players have come to expect. The game has been criticised in some quarters forAs with the original Left 4 Dead 2 sees players take on the role of one of four survivors just after the outbreak that turned most of the population into either zombies or even more powerful mutants. The game leads these Survivors through the south-eastern region of the US bringing the level of dramatic co-op players have come to expect. The game has been criticised in some quarters for being released within a year of the original but it certainly refines the formula enough to justify its existence. For starters there is a greater number of versus modes and the timed survival mode, that only came as a download in the first game, is now available right off the bat. With the introduction of new enemy types teamwork is also more vital than ever before. Wandering of alone is usually a pretty sure way to get yourself killed. Fortunately new weapons are also available including melee weapons. These weapons range from the weak crowbar to swords that can decapitate three or four zombies at once and really bring an extra dimension to the gameplay. Furthermore the main campaign is also better realised with some excellent set pieces. This all contributes to another fantastic multiplayer experience from Valve. Expand
  24. May 27, 2011
    Multiplayer! cooperative or competitive! Teamwork actually means something here. You can do more than just shoot guns. Controlling special abilitied Zombies is a unique experience. To call this a first person shooter almost seems like an insult because it has more different qualities than nearly all other hogwash coming down the pipe. Not incredibly different from L4D1, but a few newMultiplayer! cooperative or competitive! Teamwork actually means something here. You can do more than just shoot guns. Controlling special abilitied Zombies is a unique experience. To call this a first person shooter almost seems like an insult because it has more different qualities than nearly all other hogwash coming down the pipe. Not incredibly different from L4D1, but a few new special infected and melee weapons and maps...its worth it. Lots of polish, lots of fun...online scavenge mode rocks! You not only feel like a member of your team, you need to be and they need to be yours or your brains will get eaten. Bottom line...possibly the best teamwork oriented game ever, certainly the best with a still thriving community. Expand
  25. Jun 18, 2011
    Takes L4D1 and makes it so much better. The graphics are improved dramatically and so is the gameplay experience. The scenarios are much more intense - such as a flaming apartment building (or is it a hotel?). The new special infected add a sense of more caution, or if you're good enough, at the very least, a sense of more excitement. Just about everything in this game is better than theTakes L4D1 and makes it so much better. The graphics are improved dramatically and so is the gameplay experience. The scenarios are much more intense - such as a flaming apartment building (or is it a hotel?). The new special infected add a sense of more caution, or if you're good enough, at the very least, a sense of more excitement. Just about everything in this game is better than the first - even the music is better. The multiplayer and online experiences are much funner and are more of a challenge. This Left 4 Dead is worth buying way more than the first one, and this is one of Valve's greatest gaming achievements. Not only as a game, but as an experience - this one can literally change substantially each time you play, while the first one only has subtle changes that don't directly affect gameplay greatly. This is one of my favorite zombie games ever made, if not my favorite. Expand
  26. Jun 30, 2011
    This is my favorite game.Ever.The newer special infected are so much harder to fight that it just makes me want to play the game more so i can challennge myself. This game is great for multiplyier and a blast to play onine!
  27. Jul 22, 2011
    This game is a tiny bit better than the first, an achievement only met by few games. The campaigns are old-school, and the characters and weapons are much better than the first collection. Valve has a tradition of putting developer commentary on their games, and I played thru the campaign with the dev commentary, as I always do. It enhanced my experience, and I suggest this game to anyone.
  28. Jul 25, 2011
    Im happy to say i loved this game i bought this game with high hopes of a fun zombie shooter and i was granted that with this just amazingly fun game. Ok to start off the best part of this game is the co op ive never had more fun in co op ever. Next the characters are such a great batch of zombie killers. next the guns, they were fun to use and great to shoot. and finally the manyIm happy to say i loved this game i bought this game with high hopes of a fun zombie shooter and i was granted that with this just amazingly fun game. Ok to start off the best part of this game is the co op ive never had more fun in co op ever. Next the characters are such a great batch of zombie killers. next the guns, they were fun to use and great to shoot. and finally the many different chapters and maps make the game a reallf fun time and a great chance you will want to play again. Expand
  29. Jul 29, 2011
    this is my all time favorite game, great weapons, great grahpics and a lot of fun to play with freinds or online
  30. Aug 14, 2011
    Awesome Zombie killing game like the first one it was alot of fun. L4D2 has new zombies that catch you by suprise and can make you jump, like when you hear a tank coming it still makes your heart raise, gore was awesome, head shots were satisfying. Maps were great. Still wish they had more female charaters :l sure did miss the old charatersas well. But all in all a great game

1. An undisputable improvement over its predecessor in every way, and it steals its own crown as best co-op game on the Xbox. It's chainsaw-twirlingly good. [Holiday 2009, p.64]
    L4D2 delivers multiple improvements over its predecessor, and I get to keep all my fingers and toes.
    it remains one of the most distinctive co-operative titles out there, and allows for some of the most nerve-searing team-based multiplayer gaming on the market.