7.3

1. Nov 3, 2012
    • Mark of the Ninja is a 2D side-scrolling stealth game where you play a ninja grappling from lamp posts and hiding behind plant pots in an effort to either avoid people completely of sneak up behind them for a silent kill.
    • Early on the game presents some wonderful anime style cut scenes but does not deliver on their potential, being reduced to tiny bites as the game progresses.
    • An interesting art style that combines with some well thought out user interface effects to convey exactly when you are hidden or visible and generally what will reveal your position to the enemy.
    • While I struggle to find much wrong with the game mechanically, the entire package just feels un-exciting.
  2. Mar 15, 2013
    I think this is a pretty dull game. Mainly because I found it really hard to try beating this game, and I'm not talking about difficulty. It was fun for the first few levels, but after that it was quite repetitive. Crawl into a vent, kill some guard, repeat. This games really doesn't have much of a plot either, so nothing else could really redeem it. It isn't really something that you needI think this is a pretty dull game. Mainly because I found it really hard to try beating this game, and I'm not talking about difficulty. It was fun for the first few levels, but after that it was quite repetitive. Crawl into a vent, kill some guard, repeat. This games really doesn't have much of a plot either, so nothing else could really redeem it. It isn't really something that you need to play or that you should really want to play. Expand
  3. Mar 22, 2014
    An entertaining game that takes the stealth genre back to it's roots. Whilst it didn't hugely grip me, I was still reasonably entertained throughout, thanks to the appealing visuals and smooth gameplay.
  4. Sep 27, 2012
    I had no idea this game existed until about a week ago when I checked Metacritic. I downloaded the XBLA demo and, after playing the first level, was impressed enough to buy it. There is no doubt in my mind that this game deserves the approx. $15 price tag you'll pay for it. An instant stealth action 2D classic, in my opinion, Mark of the Ninja makes you play as a ninja in a quest ofI had no idea this game existed until about a week ago when I checked Metacritic. I downloaded the XBLA demo and, after playing the first level, was impressed enough to buy it. There is no doubt in my mind that this game deserves the approx. $15 price tag you'll pay for it. An instant stealth action 2D classic, in my opinion, Mark of the Ninja makes you play as a ninja in a quest of revenge, with a few twists. The story and cutscenes are good enough, although they could have skipped it and it wouldn't change my opinion about the game. The level design is very well-done. There are multiple paths available, some obvious, some less. But even for the less obvious paths, navigating around the levels is still well-paced and doesn't bore you. After each level, you get to upgrade your gear using Honor points, awarded for avoiding detection, stylish kills or going through the level without killing anyone. Speaking of stylish skills, a lot of upgrades are available to allow you to kill in different fashions, from hanging down a pole to killing some poor guard through a door. Not killing anyone is also a great challenge, made easier with the use of upgradable and unlockable ninja tools, such as firecrackers and flares. Aggression tools are also available, such as traps and ravenous insects that devour enemies alive, scaring the crap out of everybody witnessing it. One thing that is very enjoyable is actually to terrorize guards by committing gratuitous violent actions and having them witness it. You can hang bodies to poles, throw dead bodies at a guard, use poison, etc. to terrorize guards. Scared guards will become trigger happy and shoot at everything that makes a sound or appears through the darkness, be it rats, or even their fellow guards. A very fun and challenging way to play levels is to terrorize guards and lead them to clear a building filled with their colleagues, using quick appearances through lights or the use of firecrackers to fuel their fear, only to have them throw themselves off a ledge when they're done. Other upgrades include different suits that give advantages such as, per example, silent running to the detriment of carrying weapons. The game is long enough and the replay value is huge considering the upgrades, multiple ways to dispatch enemies and the New Game Plus mode, which adds a restricted line of sight and overall make the lurking in the shadows experience a lot more stressful and realistic. The checkpoint system is also great: getting detected and killed will not affect your end score and will just reload you at the previous checkpoint, allowing you to try different things and aim for a perfect score without having to restart the level countless times. I have only two complaints about this game. While the controls are great, the Action button is used for too many things, such as dragging bodies, hiding in doorways, pickpocketting, etc. It is usually not a problem unless when in a room with many options. It's a little shameful considering the LB button is not used for anything, so they could have used it for some of these actions and spare us the previously mentionned troubles. The other complaint I have is that there is no way to play specific levels or even restart a game once you completed the story once. You can only have a single save per storage device and you can't start over without deleting it entirely. The very enjoyable game experience do make up for these two issues however, and I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes stealth action and platformers. Collapse

1. Dec 28, 2012
    Mark of the Ninja has almost everything you can wish for in a game like this. The animations are wonderful and the soundtrack suits the game well. You can play the game in various ways and this extends its lifespan. With a minor flaw the game may not be perfect, but the game is very close to it.
  2. Dec 12, 2012
    Mark of the Ninja is an excellent 2D-platformer, which cleverly combines stealth with explosive action. The striking visual style is also worth a mention. [Dec 2012]
  3. Dec 10, 2012
    Whereas Shank and Shank 2 seemed to succeed on brute force, Mark of the Ninja feels like a more nuanced affair. All of the Klei hallmarks are here, and the polish has been turned up to 11. A few minor issues aside, there is much to like here.