7.3

1. Sep 8, 2012
    One of the finest games out there on the Xbox marketplace, the cartoony art style mixed with the great story and stealth game play creates one of the coolest games i have played in quite a while. Mark of the ninja hits the ball out of the park with its graphical style, gameplay, voice acting and overall excellence. Mark of the ninja is totally worth getting at its 14.99 price tag.
  2. Sep 10, 2012
    Bar none, Mark of the Ninja is the golden standard of stealth gaming. It seamlessly integrates its concepts onto a 2D plane, creating an incredibly absorbing and tactical experience. Don't miss it.
  3. Sep 8, 2012
    After the disappointment of Deadlight (which admittedly is a good, if ludicrously short, game), and DUST: Elysian Tale (uuurgh those awful awful anime characters) this is what we have been waiting for. As good as, if not better in some respects, than Shadow Complex!

A 2d Platformer with great graphics, very similar in style to Shank, atmospheric sound and above all excellent gameplay.

It's like a 2d tenchu game mixed with the visual sight line enemies from the 'commandos' games. Stealth plays a huge part in the game, with you able to go through levels without killing anyone (very difficult though) and this is where the replayability comes in as each stage is rated and you will constantly come back to them to try and better your score, or just try the level in different ways. there are minor alternative routes but it is still fairly linear, though even finding a seperate corridor or tunnel that leads to a ladder that takes you onto a rooftop is a joy. The enemies are numerous and can be avoided using cover and shadows, or killed in a stealthy fashion (points are graded on kill style and additional things such as using equipment and hiding the bodies successfully.

It's a great score attack game and, with no time limit pressuring you, you are free to take your time.

You can also follow different paths, such as a silent assassin which is self-explanatory, or the horror path where you can freak out guards by stringing up bodies around. You can freeze action mid air and fire darts to destroy lights and fuse boxes, you can dump guards bodies into skips, into vents or off ledges etc. You can use spike mines, smoke bombs, and caltrops to aid you, and you can buy loads of abilities and upgrades for your moves list and equipment. there is a lot here for your money.

It's a great game and it's absolutely worth the 1200 points, in fact it's a steal at that price.

It has online leaderboards as usual so you can compare your score to your friends / the world.
  4. Sep 7, 2012
    In my humble opinion this game is the best entertainment value for the money you can currently spend on X box live. It is a giant leap in game quality, compared to its predecessor Shank. It seems that Klei Entertainment have come into their own, and have earned my loyalty for what i hope are many more games to come.
  5. Sep 9, 2012
    Klei Entertainment's latest is a slice of genius, not only due to the sublimely intense gameplay, but also thanks to the brilliance of the implementation throughout. A lot of thought has clearly gone into the gameplay, and the concept is never sold-short - everything, and I mean everything, is geared towards the stealth action, from the controls, to the graphics and sound. As some sort of comparison (because I'm afraid I'm going to spoil the surprise for you, when you lay your hands on this game) I will say this: Klei Entertainment's previous games, the Shank series, were beautifully presented, but were let down by the fact, that eventually when all the gloss and goodwill has been used up, they didn't have much else to them really. Mark of the Ninja has so much more to it than both of the Shank titles, and the fact its so good can only mean that even if you fail to try the demo (which is free by the way, so why not?). A splendid revival for Stealth and Ninja antics indeed!! As a UK gamer, who's lost a lot of this weekend to this beauty, I can confirm that the £10 price is a steal!! Expand
  6. Sep 7, 2012
    Mark of the Ninja, by Klei Entertainment, is one of the best XBLA games I have ever played. A similar (but superior) visual style to Klei's previous games Shank and Shank 2 definitely helps, as does the great story, but the real winner here is the gameplay. The fact that this is a 2D sidescroller and has some of the best stealth gameplay I've ever encountered says something truly impressive about the game. If you have an Xbox, you should definitely consider buying this right now. Expand
  7. Nov 3, 2012
    • Mark of the Ninja is a 2D side-scrolling stealth game where you play a ninja grappling from lamp posts and hiding behind plant pots in an effort to either avoid people completely of sneak up behind them for a silent kill.
    • Early on the game presents some wonderful anime style cut scenes but does not deliver on their potential, being reduced to tiny bites as the game
    progresses.
    • An interesting art style that combines with some well thought out user interface effects to convey exactly when you are hidden or visible and generally what will reveal your position to the enemy.
    • While I struggle to find much wrong with the game mechanically, the entire package just feels un-exciting.
  8. Sep 8, 2012
    There is only one game you should get right now and that is this game! If you miss all the good stealth action from earlier days like tenchu then you need to get this game! It has everything you would expect real a ninja game to have and more. The 2d scrolling fits the game great and the game never feels liner due to the multiple pathways you can take. You can either decide to kill everyone on the map or you can decide to just sneak past them all.
    The game will reward you depending on witch style you want to use so you never feel obligated to do just one thing.You will be doing yourself a favor getting this and also help show love for this so they can make a sequel because after playing it i want MOAR!
    I honestly could go on and on how great this game is how beautiful the animations is how satisfying the stealth kills are but it won be enough, you need to get this game!
    So stop reading this right now and get online and buy this game.I promise you that it`s something you will not regret buying

What the hell?! Are you still reading this?! GO BUY IT NAO GOD DAMN IT!
  9. Sep 9, 2012
    Klei Entertainment and I seem to have a long and understanding relationship. When I feel the need to murder something they provide a compelling, addictive and ingenious little downloadable title for me to munch on. Mark of the Ninja is another hallmark in our simple, but beautiful, relationship. Hitting all the right notes for a stealth and precision freak like myself and having enough left over for me to share. The visual style, not breaking from the brilliant Shank franchise, is fluid and overall Mark of the Ninja was constantly testing my decision to name The Walking Dead my favourite downloadable title of the year. It cannot be missed, so go buy it. Now. Expand
  10. Oct 10, 2012
    Mark of the Ninja is simply put an amazing game. Klei Entertainment has merged together some great mechanics and art style into a near perfect game. The environment sensitive movement is done quite well. When you want to climb a wall jump onto it and climb if you want to transition to handing from the ceiling just hit A and you are there its all very easy and flow nicely. Mark of the Ninja has a good amount of upgrades which you earn by getting honor points that you can collect during missions by doing certain objectives, that might include get through an area without being detected. You also earn honor by getting enough points, which you get by doing anything during a mission, you kill a guard you get some points, hide that guards body get some more points, you hide behind a planter more points for you but be careful not to get detected because you lose points too. With the mixture of great game play and awesome art Mark of the Ninja is definitely a great game to pick up. Expand
  11. Sep 24, 2012
    A fresh take on the 2d side scroller, an excellent stealth game and a very fun play. For what you're paying it's well worth it! The story is good yet I wish more was explained at the end, it could've lead to a better twist in my opinion! But seriously, there's a surprising amount of game styles to play the game with which increase the replayability too! Definitely check this one out!
  12. Sep 16, 2012
    An spetacular game! You really feel lika a ninja. Stealth is back, for fans of this genre this game is a must buy. The graphics are cool, the gameplay is solid and fun. Go buy now!
  13. Dec 5, 2012
    An excellent experience all around. Well polished with a clearly well laid out plan for its design and presentation. Replay value is impressive as well. For the price you just can't beat this. If you have any interest in stealth based gameplay dont miss this one. If you have a distaste for stealth based gameplay it might just not be your cup of tea.
  14. Oct 25, 2012
    Ignore the people who gave this game a bad score and didn't explain themselves as those scores are probably fraudulent. If you like stealth games or like ninjas you will thoroughly enjoy this game. This game does not reward those who just rush into the room blindly; in fact it will severely punish you. At first your abilities are limited but with time you can add new skills and weapons. This game is a ton of fun because you can get through each level in a multitude of ways. Replay value is huge as you can try different paths, explore the levels (which is must to get skill ups) and you can either try to kill no one (extremely hard) or try to kill everyone (also extremely hard if you want to do it without alerting anyone). Expand
  15. Sep 14, 2012
    Coming from a person who really enjoys their stealth and ninja games (Ninja, Tenchu, MGS, Splinter Cell, etc.) "Mark of the NInja" absolutely destroys the genre, in a very, very, very good way. The art style is fantastic. Very reminiscent to "Shank", which makes sense, as their both made by the same company. I played through Shank and Shank 2, and I prefer the "Mark of The Ninja" over them both. The stealth elements are incredible. Moving the joystick makes your character move at a slow sneaking pace. Running is very seldom throughout this game, as it garners too much attention. It's more so used for backtracking, or running away. From what I've played so far, the controls are great. No button miss-presses or clunky game mechanics that have accidentally gotten me killed. Every time I died, it was my own fault. Speaking of dying in this game, I love how harsh the creators were when it comes to being spotted. From the first level, the majority of enemies have guns. If you're seen at all, and you try to engage them by running in blindly, you're probably going to die. A few shots to your ninja and he's toast. This unforgiving element of the game only adds to how important the stealth element of this game really is. If this game were sold as a hard copy for $60, I would still pay for it. Please, do yourself a favor. If you're into platforming/stealth/ninja gaming at all, this is a must buy. Even if you're not, it's at least worth a download of the trial. Expand
  16. Sep 27, 2012
    Wow! Just wonderful! Am rarely tempted by anything on XBLA beyond the usual big titles DLC bolt-ons, but this is a lot of game for a small price. Just blown away by how beautifully realised it all is. And it's that rare thing these days, truly challenging. Bravo!
  17. Oct 2, 2012
    I'm so glad that there is finally a game, since Shadow Complex, that finally is worth the money on Xbox live. I always seemed disappointed to spend $15 or more on these games that get hyped up for no reason. This game is incredible in every way. Splinter Cell, ninjas, and side scrollers just had a baby... and it's damn sexy.
  18. Sep 27, 2012
    I had no idea this game existed until about a week ago when I checked Metacritic. I downloaded the XBLA demo and, after playing the first level, was impressed enough to buy it. There is no doubt in my mind that this game deserves the approx. $15 price tag you'll pay for it. An instant stealth action 2D classic, in my opinion, Mark of the Ninja makes you play as a ninja in a quest of revenge, with a few twists. The story and cutscenes are good enough, although they could have skipped it and it wouldn't change my opinion about the game. The level design is very well-done. There are multiple paths available, some obvious, some less. But even for the less obvious paths, navigating around the levels is still well-paced and doesn't bore you. After each level, you get to upgrade your gear using Honor points, awarded for avoiding detection, stylish kills or going through the level without killing anyone. Speaking of stylish skills, a lot of upgrades are available to allow you to kill in different fashions, from hanging down a pole to killing some poor guard through a door. Not killing anyone is also a great challenge, made easier with the use of upgradable and unlockable ninja tools, such as firecrackers and flares. Aggression tools are also available, such as traps and ravenous insects that devour enemies alive, scaring the crap out of everybody witnessing it. One thing that is very enjoyable is actually to terrorize guards by committing gratuitous violent actions and having them witness it. You can hang bodies to poles, throw dead bodies at a guard, use poison, etc. to terrorize guards. Scared guards will become trigger happy and shoot at everything that makes a sound or appears through the darkness, be it rats, or even their fellow guards. A very fun and challenging way to play levels is to terrorize guards and lead them to clear a building filled with their colleagues, using quick appearances through lights or the use of firecrackers to fuel their fear, only to have them throw themselves off a ledge when they're done. Other upgrades include different suits that give advantages such as, per example, silent running to the detriment of carrying weapons. The game is long enough and the replay value is huge considering the upgrades, multiple ways to dispatch enemies and the New Game Plus mode, which adds a restricted line of sight and overall make the lurking in the shadows experience a lot more stressful and realistic. The checkpoint system is also great: getting detected and killed will not affect your end score and will just reload you at the previous checkpoint, allowing you to try different things and aim for a perfect score without having to restart the level countless times. I have only two complaints about this game. While the controls are great, the Action button is used for too many things, such as dragging bodies, hiding in doorways, pickpocketting, etc. It is usually not a problem unless when in a room with many options. It's a little shameful considering the LB button is not used for anything, so they could have used it for some of these actions and spare us the previously mentionned troubles. The other complaint I have is that there is no way to play specific levels or even restart a game once you completed the story once. You can only have a single save per storage device and you can't start over without deleting it entirely. The very enjoyable game experience do make up for these two issues however, and I would definitely recommend this game to anyone who likes stealth action and platformers. Expand
  19. Sep 22, 2012
    This is a fantastic game that flawlessly puts you in the shoes of an elite assassin. This is stealth done right. There were very little moments were I didn't feel at the mercy of controls or poor design. Whatever I wanted to do I could execute with finesse. Although there is plenty of content for the price, I only wish that there was more! I would gladly buy any DLC for this game!
  20. Oct 13, 2012
    A highly enjoyable game, that refreshes the stealth action genre through an amazing presentation and flawless gameplay. This awesome game left in shame the summer of arcade selection of this year. Good job Klei!
  21. Nov 27, 2012
    Easily the best XBLA game I've played in my life. The way in which enemies come onto the stage is like an old school arcade game except the whole narrative is laid out like an action/RPG. The story is epic, the graphics are unbelievable, and the voice acting is incredible. HIGHLY recommend it. Very affordable as well.
  22. Dec 5, 2012
    Tom Clancy move over this is the new stealth! and the graphics are dope!!! and the music... best marketplace game ever! i couldn't say GOTY but maybe for DLC games... overall seriously you should get it. it's cheap and it's freaking AMAZING
  23. Mar 28, 2013
    Usually, I don't like 2D Games, but this one is great exception. It has everything you need to be entertained and challenged plus excellent setting and sound, good controls once you get used to them.
  24. Sep 19, 2012
    This game is a lot of fun !
    I must say i didnt thought it will be a good game and now i am surpised to say that!
    The game has a lot of stuff to do even if u beat the game there are deferent modes or try to not kill anyone and its a lot of fun!You can upgrade stuff or learn new stuff unlock items and many many other stuff!
    The only bad thing is it doesnt have coop! That is all!
  25. Apr 2, 2013
    Aside from some issues with the context sensitive controls, it's a fantastic blend of quick reactions and great gameplay. The graphics are great and the art style is easy on the eyes. The gameplay is so incredibly strong as well. Aside from one or two hitches this game is a surprisingly fantastic stealth game. 2D stealth is an unusual medium, but Mark of the Ninja makes it work phenomenally well.

9.75
  26. Nov 4, 2012
    A remarkable and refreshingly original title. As much as I enjoy stealth/action games like Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell and of course Metal Gear sometimes I get the urge to play, you know, a stealth/STEALTH game. To be a ghostly assassin or, in this case, a ninja. Allowing me to do that in an expressive and brilliantly designed 2D side scrolling field is a revelation because it works so well yet has been so underused by video games in general outside of cult classics like Flashback and Out of this World. In a year full of high profile disappointments (Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3) it's nice to be greeted with a genuine surprise. In my book this is the sleeper hit of the year and a worthy contender for GOTY. Expand
  27. Oct 30, 2012
    Amazing game. Shows that 2D still has plenty of juice left in it. I can't imagine what this game would be like in 3D. Probably a pile of **** The main reason being controls. No worries about camera issues or wonky 3D navigation. You hit left and jump, you jump to the left. Simple. I usually avoid stealth games. Too much waiting, just to be screwed over by sloppy controls. But his isn't an issue with Mark of the Ninja. Like I already said, the controls are spot on. There's some waiting required, but it isn't as much of an issue. I know that when the guard turns around and walks away, I'll be able to sneak up on him and take him out. No worries about the tip of my shoe crossing their line of sight and setting of a thousand alarms. Unlike most 2D games and even plenty of 3D "sandbox" games, there's plenty of ways to make your way through a level. Kill everyone who gets in your way? Distract them and sneak by? Or maybe kill everyone and string their bodies up on lampposts? It's up to you. Several different outfits and equipment are available for you to take on a level however you choose. Most levels (maybe all) can be beaten without ever being seen by the enemy. The graphics are well executed. This however is the main area that I have a problem with. The graphics are fine, but the style doesn't sit well with me. It's got one of those generic Saturday morning cartoon looks to it. Same style as the companies previous work, Shank. If this game had had a more serious look (anime, ninja scroll style?) , it may have gotten a perfect score. Could also use a few more execution animations as well. Lots of voice work in this and it's all good. A Japanese voiced, english sub-titled audio track would've been nice and made the whole thing feel more authentic. For the price, this is a must download title. Even at double the price, this would be a game worth checking out. Great game with plenty to do even after you've beaten the mission. New game + , all the different equipment/outfit combos, and three unique and inventive challenges per level. Probably the best downloadable title of the year. Expand
  28. Dec 23, 2012
    A really great stealth game. While the story starts off pretty slowly, it picks up quickly and all the pieces fall together in the end. The game play is simple trial and error stealth with numerous ways to take on every level. Once you obtain enough medals and progress through the game further you can unlock even more ways to play with different costumes and equipment. While the best gear is unlocked pretty early on, the difficulty is pretty consistent through out. The game is good looking and the cutscenes are well made. I'll enjoy scaring guards to death before killing them for a long while. Expand
  29. Oct 29, 2012
    This game is very fun and let you play the levels in different ways and styles. A good stealthy game where you can go through a level killing every one you meet or pass like a shadow. Best game of xbox live i bought
  30. Mar 15, 2013
    I think this is a pretty dull game. Mainly because I found it really hard to try beating this game, and I'm not talking about difficulty. It was fun for the first few levels, but after that it was quite repetitive. Crawl into a vent, kill some guard, repeat. This games really doesn't have much of a plot either, so nothing else could really redeem it. It isn't really something that you need to play or that you should really want to play. Expand
  31. Jan 9, 2013
    Feels fun and fresh, but you've got to be creative on your way to kill. It can get repetitive after a while. Worth a try though, i enjoyed it a lot, and stealth seems to be a genre dying for the lack of quality put by devs on the genre. But this is a game that does stealth right. It's 2D so it might not be your cup of tea. But for me, this game was a blast. And for 15$, it's a bargain.
  32. Jul 16, 2013
    "Mark of the Ninja" is an outstanding game from the developers of "Shank" and "Don't Starve", and one of the best stealth games released in the past couple of years.
  33. Nov 29, 2013
    Mark of the NInja does 3 things : 1. Defines what a sneak side scroller should be 2. Defines what a ninja game should be 3. Defines what an ANIMATED side scroller should be 1 To start, if you're not a fan of sneak, hide in the shadows games, than you're better off ignoring this game all together rather than giving it a bad review because it doesn't suit your "tastes". Simple as that. However, if you love or favor sneak games, you will love this game. I've never played a more fluid, fun, well rounded hide-in-the-shadows side scroller in... well ever. The people at Klei Entertainment have perfected this somewhat obscure genre. Stealth kills? Yep. Sneak past guards and hide in the shadows? (Like a true ninja) Absolutely. Utilize various tools and gadgets to gain tactical advantage? Yes. Everything you'd except from a 10 out of 10 game.

2. Getting onto the ninja aspect of the game, I would dare to wager that this experience exceeds that of any ninja based side scroller, ever. And even the majority of 3D ninja games. Why? It, again, perfects everything that a ninja game should be. Stealth kills, dodging guards, traps, pitfalls, hiding in the shadows... it has it all. I've never felt more like a bad ass ninja than in this game. The fluidity of the gameplay is unparalleled, and seamlessly ties together action, stealth, and skill. The controls are easy to pick up, due to it's relatively easy button scheme and helpful on screen tips and indicators. The most fun I had was being able to unlock costumes and upgrade your arsenal, which enhances the gameplay incredibly. The levels are well thought out and built for maximum re-playability. Going for achievements is fun, and trying to complete every objective is a well rewarded goal. One con I have about this game is the story is not outstanding, although still decent. It had some welcome twist and turns, but the overall story is just not that memorable.

3. Lastly, the animation is gorgeous. It's smooth, fluid, and paints the whole game together in a beautiful art style that sadly is not used very often. The cut scenes are a welcome animated experience, and some scenes use some pretty obscure artistic styles that pop to the eye, and give the game a more artistic feel (mainly the end of the game). More games need this kind of animated style. The sound effects and music are utilized well, and create a ninja game you can really immerse yourself into.

Seriously, there's a lot to love about this game, especially if ninjas or sneak based games are up your alley. And if not, give this game a try anyway and you might just become a convert. This is side scrolling gameplay and animation at it's best.
  34. Aug 28, 2013
    This was the best ninja stealth game since Tenchu! The 2d art style is so clean... the guys at Klei have it down to a science. The stealth gameplay is so tight. The use of light, shadow and sound work really well in the side-scrolling setting because you can observe everything around you. Strike hard and fade away... there is something so very satisfying about killing a guy, stringing him up for others to see and then watching them run around and shoot each other out of fear! If you're a fan of stealth... this is an excellent game. Expand
  35. Dec 3, 2013
    Let's get to the point right away. The most important thing Mark of the Ninja gets right, is that stealth is actually FUN in this game. Not unfair, not frustrating. Just fun.

Using your equipment in creative ways, and successfully executing your plans to take out multiple enemies has rarely been this satisfying. And it has to be, of course, since you're basically helpless against enemy
    firepower. This is not an beat em' up, by any means.

Controls are tight, game mechanics are easy to adopt, and the feeling of "one more time!" is almost always there if you happen to screw up (and you will). Checkpoints are plentiful enough too, which also makes testing all kinds of approaches much more enjoyable. The game also makes a good job of telling you what you did right or wrong, visual indicators are easy to understand, and they become your best friend in Mark of the Ninja.

Speaking of the visuals; this game is absolutely b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l to look at. It has a distinct personality of its own. Cut scenes reminded me a bit of Samurai Jack. The music is also good, creating atmosphere and excitement when it needs to.

Tl;dr: this is a game that every stealth-loving Xbox-gamer should definitely own.
  36. Mar 22, 2014
    An entertaining game that takes the stealth genre back to it's roots. Whilst it didn't hugely grip me, I was still reasonably entertained throughout, thanks to the appealing visuals and smooth gameplay.
  37. May 14, 2014
    This game is great. The stealth is tense, but it moves quickly. Pulling of a difficult kill or knockout is gratifying, and the checkpoints are close enough together to allow you to be creative in your approach without risking losing a ton of progress. When it was over, I wanted more.
  38. Jun 6, 2014
    One of the best games I've played recently. Great atmosphere and controls, nice scenario so far, and improvements are really good for the game's longevity. This makes me reconsider playing Shanks which I bought during a promo but never really played.
  39. Dec 3, 2013

firepower. This is not an beat em' up, by any means.

1. Dec 28, 2012
    Mark of the Ninja has almost everything you can wish for in a game like this. The animations are wonderful and the soundtrack suits the game well. You can play the game in various ways and this extends its lifespan. With a minor flaw the game may not be perfect, but the game is very close to it.
  2. Dec 12, 2012
    Mark of the Ninja is an excellent 2D-platformer, which cleverly combines stealth with explosive action. The striking visual style is also worth a mention. [Dec 2012]
  3. Dec 10, 2012
    Whereas Shank and Shank 2 seemed to succeed on brute force, Mark of the Ninja feels like a more nuanced affair. All of the Klei hallmarks are here, and the polish has been turned up to 11. A few minor issues aside, there is much to like here.