7.1

1. Feb 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am writing this review as a gamer relatively new to this genre and especially this series of games.
    Firstly, i warn all newcomers like myself who are buying this game, it does nothing to teach you how to play. A tutorial would be nice. There is a 'mission/training' mode, but actually only tells you to learn to pull of difficult combos which would take hours to learn, and you have to look each move up in the manual to learn the move, instead of on-screen instructions which are non-existant. So basically i button mash and see where that leads.
    There is a single player 'arcade' mode, which involves 6 stages of progressively harder 3-on-3 fights, and a boss battle against Galactus (who is awesome) to finish. Every time the game is the same, the boss battle is the same, and quickly becomes very repetitive and boring. Dont get me wrong, the boss battle is cool and this mode is ok, but i at least expected a back story between an actual fight between marvel vs capcom. I mean, they're not short on material to make up a cool story for each character right?
    The multiplayer is rubbish for me. I can't make a decent connection at the moment, and because im a new player i get ripped apart by all the experienced players. This may not be the case for a lot of people, but i just don't have the patience.
    The only things that save this game are the superb gameplay, stunning graphics/visuals and every single one of the characters feels true to the games and comics. They are very authentic.
    My advice, buy the game either if you are patient, or an experienced MvC player.
  2. Nov 9, 2011
    I played this game with several of my friends in some guy's house and it was not amusing. The graphics are light and cheerful (as what you'd expect from Capcom) and there are tons of characters with unique abilites that you can select. However, the annoying control schemes with the cheezy dialogue the characters spit out every 5 seconds is annoying as hell. Besides, I'm not the type ofI played this game with several of my friends in some guy's house and it was not amusing. The graphics are light and cheerful (as what you'd expect from Capcom) and there are tons of characters with unique abilites that you can select. However, the annoying control schemes with the cheezy dialogue the characters spit out every 5 seconds is annoying as hell. Besides, I'm not the type of person who enjoys a 2-D fighting game, so...meh. Buy the game if you want, but if you want to spend money wisely then buy something alse or go watch a movie. Collapse
  3. Mar 3, 2011
    A good game that could have been better with proper character balancing, bigger name characters, more than bare minimum game modes, broken matchmaking and no spectator.
  4. Mar 15, 2011
    Loved MvC and MvC2, but MvC3 is almost a different game altogether. Much of the mechanics of the game take little or no skill to pull off insane combos. Actually the Xbox 360 version just requires you to launch someone in the air, hit them a few times, hit A in a direction, rinse, and repeat just to juggle an opponent between an entire party. Too easy to pull off and does more damage thanLoved MvC and MvC2, but MvC3 is almost a different game altogether. Much of the mechanics of the game take little or no skill to pull off insane combos. Actually the Xbox 360 version just requires you to launch someone in the air, hit them a few times, hit A in a direction, rinse, and repeat just to juggle an opponent between an entire party. Too easy to pull off and does more damage than it should, with the simplicity of it being considered. Balancing is still an issue when all you see online, for the most part, is Sentinel and Phoenix. Perfect example of game-breaking, flawed, mechanics would be Dark Phoenix/X-Factor. If you haven't heard or witnessed it, you should look into it. Online is horrid for the most part, and is pretty difficult to get into a quick match with. The main game is solid and I do love the little endings that each character has. Expand
  5. Feb 15, 2011
    Pros: Visually an Eye Candy.
    Well balanced fighting mechanics.
    Welcome entry of new characters to the franchise. Cons: Only a total of 36 characters on the disc compared to 56 on MvC2. Almost none existent fighting modes Not enough alternate customs. A lot of obvious fans favorite characters excluded. Ken (capcom) Cable (marvel) just to mention a few. Downloadable Content
    Pros: Visually an Eye Candy.
    Well balanced fighting mechanics.
    Welcome entry of new characters to the franchise.

Cons:
    Only a total of 36 characters on the disc compared to 56 on MvC2.
    Almost none existent fighting modes
    Not enough alternate customs.
    A lot of obvious fans favorite characters excluded. Ken (capcom) Cable (marvel) just to mention a few. Downloadable Content already announced that should of been on the retail version from the start.

I'm giving it a 5 out 10, unfortunately as much as I love the franchise I have to be honest with myself on this matter. The game has its strong points but the extra features that makes a fighting game enjoyable like extra customs, more fighting modes, alternate endings, alternate fighting bosses, and more than I could go on and on, are lacking on this retail version, which is obvious that Capcom is planning to release MUCH, MUCH more content as DLC, making the retail version look more like a full priced DEMO.

I love fighting games, and wanted to love Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but the business mind of Capcom milking its customers for unlockables that could of been in the retail version are just too much for me to over look. Best option is to wait until the game reaches a bargain price to balance well with the other half of the game that capcom will be releasing as DLC starting March 1st.
  6. Feb 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mvs.C3 looks great, but have many problems, like offline mode, more powerfull charavters than others, and DLC's.... The game looks great, but 60 bucks plus others DLC's??? 5$ each one???!!!! Capcom are you crazy???!!!! I don't buy this game. That's all. Seeya in Hellghan. Expand
  7. Feb 21, 2011
    Fast paced, fun, with an excellent cast. Unfortunately you quickly run out of things to do, and the online (the main attraction) is an exercise in frustration, as basic features don't work, and lag is a constant issue.
  8. Mar 10, 2011
    a lot of fun until you play for a certain amount of time. not much to offer other than "arcade" mode or online. mission mode sucks and there should be like an actual story mode for each character or make a story mode like they did in tekken 6. just needs more to keep my innterest. i actually just traded this game in at gamestop for $25. just bought it to... but i used that towards red deada lot of fun until you play for a certain amount of time. not much to offer other than "arcade" mode or online. mission mode sucks and there should be like an actual story mode for each character or make a story mode like they did in tekken 6. just needs more to keep my innterest. i actually just traded this game in at gamestop for $25. just bought it to... but i used that towards red dead redemption. so i just pretty much payed $80 for it. oh well i love RDR. i reccomend that game over this. Expand
  9. Apr 17, 2011
    Kinda a disappointed being that we waited 10 years for this game and it has such a small roster. Then again the small roster dosent keep the game from being fun because it is. Only problems i really saw was that at times it was hard to find a match and thats mostly because of the servers.
  10. Feb 23, 2011
    It's very shiny but not as good as the previous game.Hardcore fans may well hate it or adore it.Is it worth a purchase?Well,If you've been frothing at the mouth in anticipation,then yes.If you are a fighting game fan with no particular affiliation for a franchise,I would say wait for Mortal Kombat.
  11. Mar 5, 2011
    This game made me realize that I just do not like fighting games anymore. Not a bad game, just not for me. For all purposes, there's nothing wrong with the game: it looks and sounds great, handles and plays silky smooth and has a great roster of fighters (Deadpool was a favorite). Sadly, it lacks any real "story" mode for offline play. Also, some hardcore fighters might cry foul for theThis game made me realize that I just do not like fighting games anymore. Not a bad game, just not for me. For all purposes, there's nothing wrong with the game: it looks and sounds great, handles and plays silky smooth and has a great roster of fighters (Deadpool was a favorite). Sadly, it lacks any real "story" mode for offline play. Also, some hardcore fighters might cry foul for the simplified controls which make the game easier for newcomers to get into it. BOTTOM LINE: If you liked MvC2 or 2D fighters in general, you should find this game entertaining. Expand
  12. Mar 8, 2011
    A solid game, but does not live up to its predecessor. Excellent game play, but you need to get over the new controls first. Returning characters preserve their timing and combos. Roster and unlockables are chronically lacking. Terrible character endings (but what do you expect, it's Capcom). Soundtrack is techno/pop and disturbingly catchy. The character roster is severely lacking inA solid game, but does not live up to its predecessor. Excellent game play, but you need to get over the new controls first. Returning characters preserve their timing and combos. Roster and unlockables are chronically lacking. Terrible character endings (but what do you expect, it's Capcom). Soundtrack is techno/pop and disturbingly catchy. The character roster is severely lacking in characters (let alone ICONIC characters) compared to MvC2, leaving much to be desired. The 3 button control scheme is much simpler, with one fatal drawback - all characters now have the same input for combos, varied only by timing and special moves. Chain attacks have been simplified too. It used to be that some characters could chain punches with kicks but with the merging of punch + kick into "attack", everyone's basic combo is nearly identical in input. Once you get over the simplified controls however, the game really shines. Combos are somehow easier, feels more natural with the fluid animations, canceling between moves, specials and hyper combos is instantaneous, and you look and feel like a pro ... until the real pros come and kick your butt. Expand
  13. Mar 9, 2011
    A sequel to the critically-acclaimed Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has been endlessly hyped and anticipated for months on end. At the end of the day, however, the game disappoints. The gameplay itself is tight and flashy as all hell. Players control any of the three dozen or so characters, and battle one another in a three-on-three battle royale. Combos are flashy as charactersA sequel to the critically-acclaimed Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 has been endlessly hyped and anticipated for months on end. At the end of the day, however, the game disappoints. The gameplay itself is tight and flashy as all hell. Players control any of the three dozen or so characters, and battle one another in a three-on-three battle royale. Combos are flashy as characters are blasted left and right, up and down. One feels excitement when laying the smack-down on opponents with a gigantic multiple-dozen hit combo, ending it with a satisfyingly explosive Hyper combo.

It is incredibly disappointing, then, that Capcom saw fit to include a gameplay innovation known as X-Factor. As battles continue on, characters become damaged and eventually fall. Players falling behind are granted the ability to activate X-Factor, increasing their characters' power, speed, and defense. The catch is the fewer heroes the player has left to them, the stronger their X-Factor makes their character/s. An individual left with a single character has a super-powered behemoth if they have any skill whatsoever, and massacring an opponent's team becomes fairly trivial at that point. Casual battles become incredibly frustrating then, as enemies that would have otherwise simply lost will return and end the victor, aggravating any player.

Aside from the incredibly disappointing gameplay experience granted by X-Factor, the rest of the game is fairly barebones. It is a given that games in the fighting genre are lacking when it comes to the realm of plot, however it is worth mentioning that the game is more or less devoid of any storyline or narrative to captivate the player. In addition, the online play of the game is relatively broken. Achieving an actual match against an opponent can take a ridiculously long period of time, easily longer than the matches themselves often take. This means that players will often stay in given lobbies and continue matching against an opponent, regardless of whether they are clearly better or worse, for several matches. This is in itself trivial compared to joining a lobby for player matches between multiple individuals. For some inexplicable reason, Capcom decided that spectating of matches was a bad idea. So, when other players are battling one another, one is left watching their cards bashing against one another continuously. This is enough of a disappointment that it almost renders online play worthless.

The game itself is fairly captivating and interesting, so long as the player does not attempt to view it as a fighting title with any deep metagame. It's less disappointing that way.
  14. Mar 14, 2011
    This is a game that is totally worth renting, it is an amazing fighting game by any standards but its longevity and variety are what hold it back from being a truly remarkable game. The reason MVC2 has withheld its place in cult gamers hearts for so long is because of how complex and intricate the fighting system was for the experts and how accessible it was for someone who just wanted toThis is a game that is totally worth renting, it is an amazing fighting game by any standards but its longevity and variety are what hold it back from being a truly remarkable game. The reason MVC2 has withheld its place in cult gamers hearts for so long is because of how complex and intricate the fighting system was for the experts and how accessible it was for someone who just wanted to see their favorite comic book hero brought to life by the talented developers at Capcom. The more developers stop taking chances the more homogenized the gaming industry will become, just as the music and film industry have. They found a winning formula that worked with Street Fighter IV and they were so quick to cash in on the possibility of rebooting another great IP that they forgot what made MVC2 so endearing in the first place. While i certainly enjoyed the fighting, control scheme, and wonderful visuals, i am turned off by the lack of variety and content. Expand
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Solid gameplay accompanied with a brilliant art style set the stage for an excellent game, only to be held back by shallow variety of modes and a limited selection of characters. Could have been a much more enjoyable game if it had that little extra depth.
  16. May 12, 2011
    When I first started playing this game I would of rated it about a 9... the more I play it though it keeps slipping. It looks great and the roster is alright... (although I think everyone from MvC2 should of been included as well as the new faces...) the character balancing is way off. Some characters are just better then others. Clearly this was made for the online community but it takesWhen I first started playing this game I would of rated it about a 9... the more I play it though it keeps slipping. It looks great and the roster is alright... (although I think everyone from MvC2 should of been included as well as the new faces...) the character balancing is way off. Some characters are just better then others. Clearly this was made for the online community but it takes too long to find matches if you are not entirely dedicated. Expand
  17. Jun 30, 2011
    This game surprised me. I myself do not usually play games like this, but the amazing graphics drew me in. I love this game simply because it is so easy to play. By pressing three simple buttons, you can do a move that looks like it would take years of practice to perfect.But at the same time, players looking for a challenge probably shouldn't even consider this game.
  18. Jul 11, 2011
    There's not that much to say about this game, except that the only good part about this game is the gameplay and characters. However, even these two factors are somewhat compromised. The game gives too much of an advantage to newbies with the "simple" controls option provided, and there are some heavily-favored characters missing from the roster like Megaman. This game is no doubt fun,There's not that much to say about this game, except that the only good part about this game is the gameplay and characters. However, even these two factors are somewhat compromised. The game gives too much of an advantage to newbies with the "simple" controls option provided, and there are some heavily-favored characters missing from the roster like Megaman. This game is no doubt fun, but very limited. It's like Super Smash brothers, except far more was expected. Expand
  19. rhe
    Mar 21, 2012
    Even though this game has an extremely satisfying and frantic fighting system coupled with some fantastic graphics and an admittedly cool soundtrack (zero's theme rocks), this is all forgotten about when you consider what you're actually getting for your money. The fact that you can't watch any replays or actually watch the match when in a lobby, that there is a simple control scheme whichEven though this game has an extremely satisfying and frantic fighting system coupled with some fantastic graphics and an admittedly cool soundtrack (zero's theme rocks), this is all forgotten about when you consider what you're actually getting for your money. The fact that you can't watch any replays or actually watch the match when in a lobby, that there is a simple control scheme which makes online matches horribly unbalanced (i know you'll tell me that an expert can beat someone using simple but you also have to consider players using the normal control scheme who are new to the game), the completely useless tutorial which becomes more of a hassle than an actual help (you have to bring up the menu every time to see what the game is asking you to do) and a very small and bare amount of extra content or mini games that actually make the game more longer. What's even more worrying is that thing like a replay channel and even a tournament mode was included in SSF4 which came out ALMOST 1 YEAR AGO BY THE SAME DEVELOPER! It seems clear then that the main idea when creating MvC 3 was to add as little and then patch up these holes with DLC (which we will have to pay extra for, of course). It also doesn't help the games score that UMvC3 got released 8 months later meaning all the fans that brought the first game are pretty much burned because now their copy of MvC 3 has just become inferior (yeah yeah, I know I'm one of those people). Expand
  20. Jun 23, 2011
    This is the first Marvel vs. Capcom game I've played so I can't make any comparisons to the original, but what I can tell you is this is a mediocre fighting game with limited modes both online and off, so there isn't much to hold your attention for very long, sure it has an awesome cast of characters and a unique visual style to it, but that's really not much more than that, theThis is the first Marvel vs. Capcom game I've played so I can't make any comparisons to the original, but what I can tell you is this is a mediocre fighting game with limited modes both online and off, so there isn't much to hold your attention for very long, sure it has an awesome cast of characters and a unique visual style to it, but that's really not much more than that, the backgrounds are decent when you can see them, but there is usually to much crazy crap happening on screen to see them, if your a huge fighting game fan this may be worth a purchase, for everyone else it's just to mediocre to recommend for anything more than a rental. Expand
  21. Feb 26, 2012
    MvC3 brings the fast, fun action of its predecessor along with cartoonish visuals that really enhance the onscreen combat. Unfortunately, opportunities to evolve the series are lost. The variety of game modes is pitifully small when compared to its competition and the roster is significantly smaller than MvC2. I know that it isn't fair to judge a game based on another but when it feelsMvC3 brings the fast, fun action of its predecessor along with cartoonish visuals that really enhance the onscreen combat. Unfortunately, opportunities to evolve the series are lost. The variety of game modes is pitifully small when compared to its competition and the roster is significantly smaller than MvC2. I know that it isn't fair to judge a game based on another but when it feels like a backwards step, it is a serious concern. Expand
  22. Nov 18, 2012
    Boy I am enjoying this game a lot so far. Probably one of the best fighting games of this gen. Plenty of interesting characters coupled with some cool fighting mechanics.
  23. Apr 29, 2013
    I really enjoyed Marvel vs Capcom 2,so I thought I would enjoy this game.Arcade mode is fun and the graphics are good but after a while,it gets boring.
  24. Jan 29, 2016
    Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a very mixed bag. The fighting is fun, easy to master and runs very smoothly, and it feels so good to to pull of a hyper combo. on the other hand, MvC3 is very bear bones, the story mode sucks, every characters ending either makes no sense or is bad. Also, the online mode is TURRIBLE, you'll wait hours for a match, only for the game to lag out when the fight starts,Marvel vs Capcom 3 is a very mixed bag. The fighting is fun, easy to master and runs very smoothly, and it feels so good to to pull of a hyper combo. on the other hand, MvC3 is very bear bones, the story mode sucks, every characters ending either makes no sense or is bad. Also, the online mode is TURRIBLE, you'll wait hours for a match, only for the game to lag out when the fight starts, forcing you to quit the match and restart. The fighting is the only thing that holds this game up, along with the justice they do with fan-favourite Capcom characters. Hopefully the remake coming up will help fix these mistakes. Expand
  25. Nov 9, 2011

1. May 24, 2011
    The fluid and intuitive controls in Marvel vs. Capcom 3 feel great. The graphic effects and the versus mode are truly great too. A wonderful game.
  2. Mar 25, 2011
    Frankly if you're a fighting game fan you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing this excellent title.
  3. Mar 23, 2011
    Marvel vs. Capcom 3 might be a bit light in the gaming modes, there's no denying that the core gameplay is solid enough stands on its own and has something to offer for every type of gamer. Fighting fans of all flavors will enjoy the hybrid 2D-meets-3D gameplay, the smooth animations, and the excellent character special moves.