3.4

1. Mar 6, 2012
    Day 1 DLC. Prothean squadmate, on the disc. I don't care if it's not important to the main story. I don't care if you had a separate team working on it. You had it ready to be released alongside the game and on the disc itself. There is no excuse for this not being free for everyone. Shame on EA. Shame on Bioware. And shame on consumers for still blindly buying their crap and letting EADay 1 DLC. Prothean squadmate, on the disc. I don't care if it's not important to the main story. I don't care if you had a separate team working on it. You had it ready to be released alongside the game and on the disc itself. There is no excuse for this not being free for everyone. Shame on EA. Shame on Bioware. And shame on consumers for still blindly buying their crap and letting EA get away with it. Expand
  2. Mar 6, 2012
    To EA and Bioware (company that I adored for a decade now); you guys are pathetic capitalism whores. You are not true gamers! What you are now thinking? Ok, let's fool them again but next time we will not say them that we are making day one DLC, instead we will make DLC second week. I'm done with you guys, this is last game that I will buy from you!
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    628 MB download means the content wasn't on the disc. Nice size expansion and bonus that they've included for real fans who bought the collector's edition.
  4. Mar 6, 2012
    Day 1 DLC containing a companion from the most mysterious race in the ME universe. That this wouldn't just be included in the game is horrible, and it's a practice that should not be encouraged.
  5. Mar 6, 2012
    this DLC is horrible and mass effect 3 too.I am disappointed BioWare
  6. Mar 7, 2012
    This content should have been on the disc, or at least freely available to everyone who purchased a new copy of the game. This was the case with the first story DLC for Mass Effect 2, in order to encourage players to buy a new copy of the game instead of a used one. But now EA goes a step further and charges money for the day 1 DLC. No one should buy this DLC, if only to discourage EA fromThis content should have been on the disc, or at least freely available to everyone who purchased a new copy of the game. This was the case with the first story DLC for Mass Effect 2, in order to encourage players to buy a new copy of the game instead of a used one. But now EA goes a step further and charges money for the day 1 DLC. No one should buy this DLC, if only to discourage EA from such schemes. Expand
  7. Mar 6, 2012
    I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Mass Effect 3, is in fact, DLC/Mass Effect 3, or as I've recently taken to calling it, DLC plus Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 3 is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning DLC system made useful by the DLC corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising aI'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Mass Effect 3, is in fact, DLC/Mass Effect 3, or as I've recently taken to calling it, DLC plus Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 3 is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning DLC system made useful by the DLC corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the DLC system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of DLC which is widely used today is often called "Mass Effect 3", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the DLC system, developed by the DLC Project. There really is a Mass Effect 3, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Mass Effect 3 is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Mass Effect 3 is normally used in combination with the DLC operating system: the whole system is basically DLC with Mass Effect 3 added, or DLC/Mass Effect 3. All the so-called "Mass Effect 3" distributions are really distributions of DLC/Mass Effect 3. Expand
  8. Mar 8, 2012
    I'm going to try not to get into the day1dlc debate too much and try to review the actual product. First with the ugly concerning day1dlc: While it's true it already happened with me2 with zaeed, it was different because it was free for people who bought the game new. That's where it all started. The developers and publishers make no money off of used games so they make money where theyI'm going to try not to get into the day1dlc debate too much and try to review the actual product. First with the ugly concerning day1dlc: While it's true it already happened with me2 with zaeed, it was different because it was free for people who bought the game new. That's where it all started. The developers and publishers make no money off of used games so they make money where they can. It's not the most ideal situation, but it's understandable. What isn't however, is replacing free day1dlc with and online pass like fifa or nfs. Sure it's free for the people who dished out 20 extra bucks for the collector's edition, but that's hardly a way to congratulate your loyal fans... because (actual review part):
    This is by far the single worst dlc to ever come out for the mass effect series. Ive completed both games several times, including dlc, to the point of exhaustion and I have no reservation in saying bioware should be ashamed. The dlc itself lasts about 30 minutes and is essentially a fetch quest. Once you recruit the prothean, you can't speak to him on your ship (like Zaeed and Kasumi). This basically means bioware cared so little for the character they don't bother to give any form of progression whatsoever. Do not expect a Thane or a Legion. He is one of the most boring characters in the mass effect universe. He's a soldier so, of course, he has to be rude, condescending and just plain boring. They had so much potential to tap into the prothean culture but all that is wasted. If you had any questions regarding the prothean culture, don't worry, they won't be answered. Unless you consider half assed statements that raise more questions than anything to be answers. Combat wise, he's average. He's half soldier, half biotic. he has pull and slam and lift grenades. He's also got this power called dark channel that deals damage over time. He's not exceptional, he's not my first choice and I wouldn't recommend him to anyone playing on the harder difficulties because he lacks overload/warp etc. So all in all, really disappointing dlc, especially given how controversial it is. Do not go in expecting Lair of the Shadow Broker or Overlord. Mass Effect 2 DLCs are way more fun than this most of them only cost 560. Avoid at all costs unless you're an achievement whore. It brings nothing to the table and is a massive disappointment.
  9. Mar 15, 2012
    From Ashes is one of the worst examples of DLC in recent memory. An example of a game developer removing content from the main game in order to get you to pay extra the only thing your really "downloading" is the lackluster mission to wake the character. The truth is you already have him with your Mass Effect 3 purchase and it only takes editing one game file to get him.
  10. Mar 8, 2012
    Ah Day 1 DLC that was finished back in July. Pathetic excuses for it to not be on the disc, but more importantly its not a very good DLC. Maybe a 3-4 if it came out in three months, but the fact its also Day 1 pushes it to a zero.
  11. Mar 11, 2012
    I can understand the need for day one DLC. It is a good way to bring in revenue from new product sales. Sadly for the price of this DLC you do not get much in return as far as action. Your one mission is simply a recovery mission with a hold the fort style ending (maybe 30 mins of play). The real benefit, and savior of this DLC, is the added content from taking your new team member withI can understand the need for day one DLC. It is a good way to bring in revenue from new product sales. Sadly for the price of this DLC you do not get much in return as far as action. Your one mission is simply a recovery mission with a hold the fort style ending (maybe 30 mins of play). The real benefit, and savior of this DLC, is the added content from taking your new team member with you into battle and missions. Not only is he awesome in battle but the conversations his presence brings up is comical. He also adds depth to the back story if you take him into ruins or to fight the reapers, including a long conversation with a Prothean computer. Overall if you can get him in your team early, I would recommend this DLC to anyone. Expand
  12. Mar 17, 2012
    This expansion is far too short to justify its price and returning to Eden Prime is not as dramatic as I'd have hoped. However it deserves credit for tying in with the existing story so well. Javik is an interesting addition to the team. He provides a nice insight into the Protean civilization but unfortunately no real insight into himself as a character. I guess he decision of whether orThis expansion is far too short to justify its price and returning to Eden Prime is not as dramatic as I'd have hoped. However it deserves credit for tying in with the existing story so well. Javik is an interesting addition to the team. He provides a nice insight into the Protean civilization but unfortunately no real insight into himself as a character. I guess he decision of whether or not you should buy this rests on how enamored you are with the Mass Effect 3 experience. Expand
  13. Mar 13, 2012
    The mission was pretty forgettable. Afterward, I found I wasn't that interested in the new character and never used him. Talking to him was distracting on account of his clearly terrestrial accent, though a few interesting tidbits of backstory about the Protheans did crop up. I suspect From the Ashes was, at least initially, planned as a standard part of ME3, and was later removed to beThe mission was pretty forgettable. Afterward, I found I wasn't that interested in the new character and never used him. Talking to him was distracting on account of his clearly terrestrial accent, though a few interesting tidbits of backstory about the Protheans did crop up. I suspect From the Ashes was, at least initially, planned as a standard part of ME3, and was later removed to be offered as DLC, but that's just conjecture on my part. Of course, ME3 isn't really worth playing anyway, so the value of this DLC is largely moot. Expand
  14. Mar 9, 2012
    New sources confirm that at least most of this "DLC" was on the retail disc already. So basically, it's an extra $10 to unlock content that you've already paid for and already have installed. As consumers we just can't support this behaviour.
  15. Mar 6, 2012
    I can't wait for this. BioWare is honoring the fans by having their employees work overtime to provide such quality extra content. On Day One as well! They must've really wanted us to have a lot of content at launch!
  16. Mar 11, 2012
    Exploitive day 1 DLC. Terrible pricing, terrible idea, made only to suck away your last dollar. Don't be a sucker and reward them for screwing over loyal fans.
  17. May 14, 2012
    Unlike what seems like almost *everyone* here rating the DLC based off of when it was released,(although it was an insulting move by itself, i'll admit) For the price you pay, the mission is painfully short, and Javik's lines of dialogue are hardly worth the money. While it was interesting to finally get a view of the protheans, I feel like they could have easily integrated Javik and hisUnlike what seems like almost *everyone* here rating the DLC based off of when it was released,(although it was an insulting move by itself, i'll admit) For the price you pay, the mission is painfully short, and Javik's lines of dialogue are hardly worth the money. While it was interesting to finally get a view of the protheans, I feel like they could have easily integrated Javik and his mission into the game and released ME3 without day-one DLC. A blatant attempt to take more of your money *after* you spent $60 dollars on a *full* game. If your interested in lore, the Mass Effect "wikia" is free. Expand
  18. Mar 12, 2012
    If you have Mass Effect 3 you need this DLC because it adds so much to the overall package, new story elements, a new character, and some sweet new bonuses, and the only reason I'm not giving it a higher score is because it does feel like a way for Bioware to take more of are cash by not including it with the main game, but overall I can't help but realize that every Mass Effect 3 playerIf you have Mass Effect 3 you need this DLC because it adds so much to the overall package, new story elements, a new character, and some sweet new bonuses, and the only reason I'm not giving it a higher score is because it does feel like a way for Bioware to take more of are cash by not including it with the main game, but overall I can't help but realize that every Mass Effect 3 player needs this DLC, with it you gain a new follower who is the last surviving Prothean so that alone adds many new story inclusions, and more information on the Protheans is pretty sweet, and he's just so curious and strangely likable I can't help but see him as a welcome addition to my squad, and to sweeten the deal with this DLC Bioware gives us two new achievements, and the sweet new Particle Rifle that's so powerful you feel like your carrying the Death Star into a battle, the rifle also has recharging ammo, and if you combine it with incendiary ammo and you have one of the most powerful and fun weapons in video game history, so if your playing Mass Effect 3 you need this DLC, sure Bioware is just trying to take more of our money by not including it in the main game, but you are doing yourself a disservice by not buying it for that reason, so you know what to do, go buy this now. Expand
  19. Mar 11, 2012
    I find that not having this on the game disk hinders my review. So I will give this DLC a big 0. That's how much it should be worth after pre-ordering and paying for a game. It is on the game disk. so in closing I would like to state that this is going to be my last Bioware game I am ever buying. I know you don't care but I had to take up 150 characters with something.
  20. Mar 16, 2012
    Day one DLC. What more can you say really? You can edit one line of code on the PC version and then you can use the squadmate. Essentially it's already on disc but this is EA we are talking about here. What more can you expect?
  21. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I will not comment on this being release date DLC nor does my score have any reflection on when the DLC was released because it's not relevant to the quality. From Ashes does add an interesting element. Having an extra squad mate is always a good thing. More dialogue. More interaction. And another weapon. Though I wasn't really a fan of the weapon: too weak. I cannot deny that Javik adds something to the gameplay experience, but if he is not in your squad choice, this addition is of course limited. Further, he doesn't add anything beneficial toward your ending (unlike Kasumi and Zaeed who increased the chance of everyone surviving the suicide mission by just being a body with a gun). The mission to retrieve Javik is nicely crafted as far as environment, but it's smaller than I would have expected for a return to Eden Prime (which every fan desperately wanted to see more of!) and the time required to complete is short (an hour, tops). Interactions between Javik and Liara and Javik and Citadel citizens were compelling. But the final task in order to obtain Javik, defending the pod for two or three waves was a weak challenge. So From Ashes may provide an interesting character and perspective, but it's not the same home-run quality of Lair of the Shadow Broker or Arrival. Expand
  22. Mar 13, 2012
    I got this with my Collectors Edition for free... so I give it a 10 / 10. You guys are wigging out on some fanboy type behavior but you didn't even bother to pre-order the CE for an extra $20? That's your own fault.
  23. Mar 11, 2012
    Day 1 DLC that had most of Jarvik's files already on disc, and voice files can be found in the demo.
    Despicable, bioware, shame on you. Cash grabs are what apparently funds EA like with the yearly madden and fifa, so why not make ME3 just like them with enough day 1 DLC that makes Trainworks look like it has no DLC.
  24. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I thought I threw this away, but it somehow got on my Live profile. I have tried to delete it several times. Anyway, the DLC is you get some eight-eyed guy to follow you around and act uppity. At one point he refers to black people as "lazy". HATED IT Expand
  25. Mar 17, 2012
    this dlc is required to get the most out of mass effect 3 from a story stand-point otherwise that's 1 more plot hole to add to the huge list of plot holes already in the base game. so that is an additional 10$ bioware is trying to force you to spend.. horrible.
  26. Mar 14, 2012
    Should have been in the game, as many of the conversations included are integral of it, whatever the EA/Bioware drones say. EA just removed it from the main game, most (all?) of it is even in the disk and can be unlocked touching a couple of files or using a crack.
  27. Mar 16, 2012
    An awesome DLC! A new squad member and and a new mission! I love downloadable content for Bioware games they have so much in them! New experience in a new way!
  28. Mar 8, 2012
    You guys are being childish. Have any of you actually played the dlc. You're probably just **** that it was day one dlc. I have played the dlc. It wasn't amazing but it was pretty good. the mission wasn't great but the main reason people bought it was the prothean squad mate which was pretty cool.
  29. Mar 10, 2012
    Worth the extra 10 bucks (it comes free in the collectors edition), looking forward to more DLC for this game! A lot of folks are upset about the whole "first day" DLC ideal, but I think i look at it like options on a car... I don't have to get that Navigation system or those leather seats but I can if I would like to.
  30. Mar 10, 2012
    I think that some of the negative reviews for this DLC are based on the fact that it is a day 1 DLC and that the endings for the game are awful. This is unfair when reviewing just the DLC. You get an interesting squad member with an Ilos like back story, also a cool rifle. This DLC is worth purchasing if only to experience the dialogue with the squad mate.
  31. Apr 5, 2012
    The Prothean squadmate was on the disk of a a game I CONTRACTUALLY PURCHASED. I didn't get the content I CONTRACTUALLY PURCHASED. If I made a MISTAKE in understanding the terms...guess what...should be a VOIDABLE CONTRACT under law. I will never be purchasing from BioWare again...just dropping the zero this deserves.
  32. Mar 15, 2012
    This is a great piece of DLC. For those seeing all the negative scores most of those are due to anger of it being day one DLC. The intention of this DLC was a bonus for people who bought the Collector's Edition of the game. The fact that it was available for others to buy at launch is a great gesture of Bioware, as this is a great piece of Mass Effect fiction.

It includes a look at a

It includes a look at a previously mostly unknown species in ME canon. While the actual mission is fairly short, the inclusion of the new character is fantastic. The dialogue that it adds into the game is great and meaningful. Also, weapon you get is pretty cool.
  33. May 8, 2012
    Day 1 DLC. With content that is already on the disk. Enough said
  34. Mar 24, 2012
    I'm not criticizing day one DLC that came on disc, since I have pre-ordered Collectors Edition and for me this add-on was free, more importantly gamers should have learned by now all EA cash grabbing tricks. Mission isn't remarkable, hell it's like another Cerberus (horde) mission - nothing new, nothing fancy and nothing inspiring and damn short. Javik is fine member and have some goodI'm not criticizing day one DLC that came on disc, since I have pre-ordered Collectors Edition and for me this add-on was free, more importantly gamers should have learned by now all EA cash grabbing tricks. Mission isn't remarkable, hell it's like another Cerberus (horde) mission - nothing new, nothing fancy and nothing inspiring and damn short. Javik is fine member and have some good lines and he can give you some insight on Protheans (not enough though). This isn't masterpiece like Shadow Broker DLC for Mass Effect 2. If you own CE you are at home, if you don't - DLC isn't worth price. Expand
  35. Mar 26, 2012
    The DLC contains a Prothean, the DLC is actually in the disc, which shows that it was intended to be a part of the game, my only complain is that, for 800MSP/$10 I was expecting a much larger expansion, don't get me wrong, Javik is my favorite character, with his overpowered biotics, but this is definitively not worth 10 bucks
  36. Apr 9, 2012
    I love the Mass Effect Series, and for the enjoyment they give me, a bargain. The added squad member is my favorite so far, a bad-ass in combat and lots and lots of backstory for those (like me) who love the story and know it backwards and forwards. I bought all the ME2 DLC and based on the quality of this one, will probably buy all the DLC for ME3 as well. The story and integrationI love the Mass Effect Series, and for the enjoyment they give me, a bargain. The added squad member is my favorite so far, a bad-ass in combat and lots and lots of backstory for those (like me) who love the story and know it backwards and forwards. I bought all the ME2 DLC and based on the quality of this one, will probably buy all the DLC for ME3 as well. The story and integration into the main quest is also superbly done. Would I rather it be free? yes, I would prefer if everything were free...but if you don't think that all that extra content is worth the same amount as 1.5 value meals at McDonalds then your priorities are different than mine. Expand
  37. Apr 28, 2012
    finding a new teammate and gaining new history of the story was great! the 10 minutes it took to beat was very dissappointing considering the 10 dollar cost and the content both me1 and me2 put out i was expecting much much more for dlc content.
  38. May 13, 2012
    Acknowledging this is basically a part of the game that was omitted for those who didn't buy a new copy aside, this is an essential part of the game experience and the new character is one of the best and most fitting to Mass Effect lore in the series. The mission itself is tight and enjoyable (although not entirely lengthy) and the comments and insight the character provides throughoutAcknowledging this is basically a part of the game that was omitted for those who didn't buy a new copy aside, this is an essential part of the game experience and the new character is one of the best and most fitting to Mass Effect lore in the series. The mission itself is tight and enjoyable (although not entirely lengthy) and the comments and insight the character provides throughout the rest of the game experience is invaluable to be missed making this a 'must have' dlc for Mass Effect fans.
    Worth the price of entry alone for Javiks comments whilst exploring the Asari Temple later in the game. Gold.
  39. Apr 25, 2013
    Day 1 DLC that is undermined by the asking price. It's a quick side mission with a new character. Unfortunately the added gameplay was a major letdown.
  40. May 18, 2012
    This should have came with the game. Not as exclusive preorder, or as part of a special edition, or unlock what is already on the disk with an online pass. This SHOULD have come with EVERY copy of the game. And that is all there is to say really. Very, VERY dissatisfied with EA's and BioWare's penny pinching, that I wont be paying for any more of your games in the future. I'm done with you!
  41. Jun 17, 2012
    Unbelievable, is this is a joke? I mean for real is this a joke? Nothing in this DLC was interesting, it wasn't captivating nor was it up to the standard DLC quality that was ever delivered. Its pure rip off.
  42. Jan 20, 2013
    Being a huge mass effect fan this game was disappointing, I hoped it would build on the charm of ME2 but instead it just isn't as good. If this game had a different name then it would be rated higher but Bioware built up expectations only for them to come crashing down
  43. Mar 19, 2012
    This expansion to Mass Effect 3 brings you an interesting squad mate and gives the player a look into the history of the series universe. The content includes a fairly short main mission that lacks the impressive size of the missions delivered in the previous installment's downloadable content. That being said, it does add a decent amount of dialogue and back story to almost make this thisThis expansion to Mass Effect 3 brings you an interesting squad mate and gives the player a look into the history of the series universe. The content includes a fairly short main mission that lacks the impressive size of the missions delivered in the previous installment's downloadable content. That being said, it does add a decent amount of dialogue and back story to almost make this this essential to the main game. The new squad mate actually has more dialogue that you can control than most of the characters on the disc. That being said, the artbook included in the collector's edition, and the developer diary included in the new iPhone app, show that all of this content was intended to be included in the game, and was removed due to time constaints. Overall, this content is decent, and those who want to know more of the lore of the Mass Effect series, I would recommend this to them. Expand
  44. Mar 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was going to get the collectors edition of ME3 but unfortunately couldn't get hold of it in the UK so got the normal one. I was disappointed to miss out on the art book but nothing was going to stop me getting hold of the from ashes dlc so I downloaded it before I even played the game!

I have to admit that the mission on eden prime is a bit short for my liking but javik seems to be a cool new addition to the team and I look forward to seeing what he can do plus what he has to say in the game. Also his particle rifle rocks and I look forward to busting more reapers with it!
  45. May 10, 2012
    It is completely stupid that people are trolling on the game because of the DLC. Don't hate on it because its day one DLC hate on it because it sucks. And frankly this DLC doesn't suck, but it isn't great either. It is highly over prised. Really short, but the new character is pretty interesting. Should only buy though if it gets discounted.
  46. Mar 9, 2013
    Okay, the Day 1 DLC of such an important character is a terrible business practice, and his Eden Prime mission is really not long. However, the squadmember is really good in multiple ways.
    He is a great character to interact with, and he has content throughout the game, and he has some great skills which make him a must have for players. Still, since I have to rate it, as a DLC, this is quite expensive. 7/10.
  47. Apr 30, 2013
    Here's a hint: Are you an achievement whore like me? Yeah? Ok, go get this, and enjoy the single level of fighting and the new character who really offers little to the game. Are you a sensible non-ocd person who wants the most bang for your buck? Go spend your money elsewhere.
  48. Jul 20, 2013
    Would probably have rated this higher if not for the fact a Prothean squad mate should not have been day one dlc, i mean, come on they're saying however many years this was in production and no one had this idea until too late in production to add this to the main game. Worth getting if you're a big mass effect fan other wise it's not really worth it.

1. Apr 17, 2012
    From Ashes offers interesting new lore for the fans, but little anything else. The only new mission is very short shooter, which hardly justifies the price. The new squadmate does have a lot of things to say during the gameplay, if you carry him with you to every mission. Still, From ashes is only worth getting if you really want to see everything Mass Effect universe has to offer. [Apr 2012]
  2. Mar 27, 2012
    Mass Effect 3: From Ashes is a missed chance from BioWare to create a DLC woth buying despite its cost. A mission way too short and poorly structured don't justify the price of what could have been a more complex and intricated piece of story and lore.
  3. Mar 16, 2012
    The mission to defreeze Javik is short, and you can beat it easily within about half an hour. If you're looking for a chunk of content as substantial as Mass Effect 2's Lair of the Shadow Broker you'll probably come away disappointed, and Javik doesn't really dramatically affect anything about the Mass Effect 3 campaign.