8.7

1. DuaneW.
    Dec 5, 2007
    Awesome story, awesome character interactions. It's fun to play. The combat is challenging - there are parts of this game I needed to retry multiple times to get past. I've played it twice now and it's still fun.
  2. MagnusK.
    Jan 23, 2008
    Now, this happens to be just type of game. Epic adventures with roleplaying-lite incorporated. And it's an extraordinary well made such. That said, I can't give this anything but a straight ten, really. I just finished this game and I'm looking forward doing it once or twice again!
  3. Eric
    Jan 4, 2008
    This was simply inspired gameplay. The one flaw was the excess of side quests - I spent several days completing sidequests before I played any of the core story missions.
  4. Niall
    Feb 9, 2008
    This is one of the five best games I've ever played. It's a tremendous game, with exceptional graphics and voice acting.
  5. Arthkan
    May 29, 2008
    Awesome game, gave me weeks of entertainment through replay value. My GotY 07, Highly Recommend.
  6. no0ne
    Aug 15, 2008
    You just need to play this game. This games scenario is worth a Hollywood movie!
  7. Mike
    Sep 1, 2008
    Perfect storyline. Graphics are pretty. This is the game-of-the-year 2007. This is the best rpg that i ´ve played so far instead of oblivion. All ratings under 6-7=ps3 fanboys.
  8. TannerH
    Aug 26, 2009
    Theres not too many games that I will play over and over again, Mass Effect is my personal favorite so far.
  9. M.E.
    Jan 2, 2010
    This game blew me away. Bioware has really outdone itself here. The story, game play, graphics, sound, controls and practically everything else are amazing if not extraordinary. Only things is that it has a few bugs and technical issues.
  10. LukeM.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Best Game Ever!!!!
  11. MiguelA.
    Nov 16, 2007
    Absolutely Amazing Game. It is so deep when it comes to its content. In a rare change you get to choose the responses you make to people's statement or questions which means you choose your destiny to some degree. A good amount of interactivity with everything to people and objects. Great strategy when it comes to the shooting aspect. The storyline is amazing as well. It really does Absolutely Amazing Game. It is so deep when it comes to its content. In a rare change you get to choose the responses you make to people's statement or questions which means you choose your destiny to some degree. A good amount of interactivity with everything to people and objects. Great strategy when it comes to the shooting aspect. The storyline is amazing as well. It really does capture your imagination to where some times you will see yourself on the edge of your seat. The visuals are stunning with great frame rate and player models are great as well. All around amazing game. Expand
  12. Sid
    Nov 20, 2007
    A truly great and memorable experience. 10 years from now, you won't be talking about how great the graphics and animation are, you won't be talking about the great voice acting and you won't be talking about the glitches. You'll just remember the experience all these good things resulted in. And you will sorely miss this game universe when you're done and pine A truly great and memorable experience. 10 years from now, you won't be talking about how great the graphics and animation are, you won't be talking about the great voice acting and you won't be talking about the glitches. You'll just remember the experience all these good things resulted in. And you will sorely miss this game universe when you're done and pine for the sequel. If anyone tells you that games are not art, get them to play this and asked them how many movies/books etc. moved them this much. KOTOR and Bioshock, there's a new 'best story in Video Game history' now. Reviewers rightly score the game down due to glitches and a pretty asinine menu system, but many wrongly deduct points because the action isn't as good as an action only title such as Gears of War. Don't let this prevent you from what is truly a fantastic experience and a great event in all gaming. Expand
  13. DonZ.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Not without it's faults, but what game is perfect? I LOVE the combat, though I play on the harder difficulties. I'd suggest it for others, as it makes the combat more intense. You can always turn it down later. Anyways, best graphics, best story, best combat(this coming from a competitive PC FPS player)...best everything I've played this year.
  14. JeffA.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Like both directing and acting in a Hollywood blockbuster movie. If you don't own this game you are missing out on an epic adventure. A living world on a DVD-9 disc.
  15. SteveM.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Truly immersive games are few and far between these days. Older games could make use of average graphics but excel in gameplay and immersion, as the times change Mass Effect is the pinacle of combining both in true next-gen fashion. Another top quality 360 title.
  16. ConradB.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Fools needn't apply. Mass Effect is a cerebral and intelligent game, aimed at a very specific audience. While it does have it's problems, it is easy to see what kind of people are aggravated by them. If a texure loads too slow? It's funny how they didn't complain about that in Halo 2. It happened a lot in Halo 2. It loads too often and too slowly? Get a new xBox, I was Fools needn't apply. Mass Effect is a cerebral and intelligent game, aimed at a very specific audience. While it does have it's problems, it is easy to see what kind of people are aggravated by them. If a texure loads too slow? It's funny how they didn't complain about that in Halo 2. It happened a lot in Halo 2. It loads too often and too slowly? Get a new xBox, I was loading for probably about 30 minutes total in my 12-hour playtime. Not very bad, considering. Too much walking around the Citadel? Maybe if you hadn't been too stupid to listen to the hologram there, you would have found out that there is a mass transit system to ferry you where you please. Mass Effect is delectable in it's complexity, and has a slew of believable and reasonably-acted characters. It's shooter facade may have tricked some of the more foolhardy into thinking they were purchasing some "Gears of War" or some "Halo" title, but they instead found an erudite and well-crafted work of art. Seeing as how this sort of individual is prone to discarding that which sets mankind apart from neanderthals, they quickly succumb to vitriolic complaints. I suggest your purchase of this title with great strength, unless you only want to shoot things. If that's the case, obtain a copy of Gears of War, that's a cool game. Expand
  17. PhilipM.
    Dec 10, 2007
    Amazing game. While others may be complaining about glitches and other irrelevant things, I can only say this. What game doesn't have glitches?
    The answer is none. Just as every other game has it's glitches, Mass Effect has it's own, but I'm willing to overlook every single one of them because of it's great story, immersive worlds, and the realism that Bioware's representation of the universe gives.
    Not only do the planets which you can visit look beautiful, but the feeling of exploring a completely new planet is exhilarating.
    The different alien races which Bioware have introduced are amazing, with each having their own traits and personality quirks. For pretty much all of the game I played with two of my alien allies, completely ignoring my human ones who seemed so bland in comparison. The sort of one liners which Wrex came out with during the course of the game were great, which shows the level of the script and voiceactors which Bioware used for this game.
    I can see a lot of people complaining about the battle system in this game. I can only say that this game is an RPG at heart, not a FPS, so if Mass Effect isn't to your liking, there are hundreds of FPS games out there that are to your suiting. Mass Effect is for those who are patient, and prefer to take their time with things.
    I could sing Mass Effects's praises all day, but I'd rather leave some surprises for those who haven't played the game yet. In conclusion, Mass Effect is another masterpiece from Bioware, and I hope that they keep putting this level of effort into their games.
  18. JoshT.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Anyone who gives this game lower then an eight really doesn't know what they are doing. I find it funny that those who give the game a low score can't spell. Such as the NY boy who starts off, "this game sux! BUT(not buy) oblivion!" Anyway. Buy this game if you love RPGs and a good story! Buy Oblivion if you love running around like an idiot, listening to a horrible story, or Anyone who gives this game lower then an eight really doesn't know what they are doing. I find it funny that those who give the game a low score can't spell. Such as the NY boy who starts off, "this game sux! BUT(not buy) oblivion!" Anyway. Buy this game if you love RPGs and a good story! Buy Oblivion if you love running around like an idiot, listening to a horrible story, or feeling insignificant. Expand
  19. MikeT.
    Dec 9, 2007
    I never had any significant technical issues, sure theres some texture popin when you first load a level but its nota bgi thing. The story and acting more than makes up for any issues. In total it took me 32 hours to complete (i didnt get the 75% completed achievement).
  20. CalebHill
    Oct 10, 2008
    The combat system is simple when being used singularly, but when combat is mixed with tech and biotics it becomes a masterpiece. The RPG elements integrate perfectly into the experience, and the minor flaws(such as that dastardly texture pop-up) are quickly forgotten behind the marvelous story and wondrous graphical vistas. Never a boring moment, either. Bravo, Bioware!
  21. NickK.
    Jan 2, 2008
    I would have to say that other than the small minor detail in the graphics and loading times this game is by far the best to hit the 360 since it's release. BioWare kept the same story involvement as in Jade Empire but improved it so much. The graphics are stunning, the environments are very detailed and pretty to look at, the character development and story development are just I would have to say that other than the small minor detail in the graphics and loading times this game is by far the best to hit the 360 since it's release. BioWare kept the same story involvement as in Jade Empire but improved it so much. The graphics are stunning, the environments are very detailed and pretty to look at, the character development and story development are just amazing! I would definitely say that this game is the number 1 purchase for anyone interested in getting a 360 or that already own one. Expand
  22. GhostReviewer
    Jan 7, 2008
    Mass Effect is without a doubt the true definition of evolution. Every inch of this game is moving gaming foward. The dialogue wheel is an innovation that gives what is most likely the most immersive experience one can have with a videogame just short of virtual reality. You truly feel like you're making decisions that are effecting an entire galaxy, So much so that when you lose a Mass Effect is without a doubt the true definition of evolution. Every inch of this game is moving gaming foward. The dialogue wheel is an innovation that gives what is most likely the most immersive experience one can have with a videogame just short of virtual reality. You truly feel like you're making decisions that are effecting an entire galaxy, So much so that when you lose a team mate as a direct result of your actions you actually feel guilty. Ultimately it doesn't feel like you're controlling an avatar but rather you are Commander Shepard, commanding a crew to save and police the galaxy. The combat at first feells overwhelming and intimidating but once you take the time to learn its customization it starts to feel even better than Gears of War. As a shooter alone Mass Effect would have been awesome but the rpg elements are what make the deal. No matter what you do, leveling up your weapons and skills never becomes tedious. As the developers of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire, Bioware had high expectations to meet with this one. The result is one of the best next gen games on the market that makes its predecessors feel like beta tests. Buy this game and forget about the outside world, you won't be going back to it anytime soon. Expand
  23. James
    Feb 17, 2008
    I loved the KOTOR games and i think they are contenders for the title of best game ever. The combat system, although uncomplicated, is somewhat brilliant. Yes, I know there are games with better systems but none of them have a brilliant rpg story line. The only downside of this game is the repetitive planets you find on side quests. Its basically the same planet everytime, yes it is I loved the KOTOR games and i think they are contenders for the title of best game ever. The combat system, although uncomplicated, is somewhat brilliant. Yes, I know there are games with better systems but none of them have a brilliant rpg story line. The only downside of this game is the repetitive planets you find on side quests. Its basically the same planet everytime, yes it is brilliantly fun but why is every planet a vaste wasteland? Still this game was genius. Expand
  24. SteveS.
    Feb 8, 2008
    One of the most rewarding games you will play.I believe its in the league of bioshock and halo and cod4 as one of the best games of 2007, if not then the best rpg.
  25. DennisM.
    Apr 26, 2008
    Amazing game, it is a work of art. Very cinematic, varied pace, highly addictive. Possibly the best game I have ever played.
  26. DanielT
    Nov 20, 2009
    Wow... to any of you who gave this game below a 7 are either too idiotic or "sure of yourself" to notice how great this game is... how about taking the time to play it? Enjoy the great visual sights, the rich, deep character design and history, coupled with the amazing storyline that changes on how you play. Now, onto my own review on why I gave this a 10/10: I eagerly bought this game Wow... to any of you who gave this game below a 7 are either too idiotic or "sure of yourself" to notice how great this game is... how about taking the time to play it? Enjoy the great visual sights, the rich, deep character design and history, coupled with the amazing storyline that changes on how you play. Now, onto my own review on why I gave this a 10/10: I eagerly bought this game just a year ago, and beat it in 10 hours. Want to know how? Because I sped through, not taking in the accomplishments listed above. Now, the next time I played, I had created my own character, gave him a name and chose a class carefully, then I truly began to play. Each choice I made shaped the world (or shall I say, galaxy?) around me, and in response, made people react to me differently. I gained around a hundred different Codex entries, and that wasn't even half of what I could learn. By the end (Which took at least a week and a half), I was blown away with the controller shaking in my hands. The bad? Almost none. The combat is a bit laggy when the fights gets intense, and the texture pop-up sometimes pulled you out of that world, but those are just things you can brush aside. For me, it's the best game I have ever played, and I except the sequel will go past the first in every way. - Number 1 in my List - Expand
  27. BobM.
    Nov 16, 2007
    A large step forward for storytelling in video games.
  28. AlexH.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Great game with an amazing story, wonderful characters, indepth gameplay and customisation, tough moral choices with dire consequences and a huge galaxy to explore. This is GOTY.
  29. JohnS.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Great gameplay combined with a deep story and amazing graphics.
  30. Chris
    Nov 20, 2007
    An instant classic. Bioware does it again hitting this one out of the park. The game takes everything that was loved about KoToR and makes it better!
  31. MattDG
    Nov 21, 2007
    As good a game as one would have any right to expect. Not perfect, but the best it could be given platform constraints. Simply an excellent RPG.
  32. JavierM.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Best game of all time. No game creates an interactive experience of this caliber. You don't just play Commander Shepard, you ARE Commander Shepard and you are the only person who can save the galaxy from destruction. In a season filled with top notch game, Mass Effect raises the bar for story driven games. It is not the best story ever told in a game, it is the best story ever Best game of all time. No game creates an interactive experience of this caliber. You don't just play Commander Shepard, you ARE Commander Shepard and you are the only person who can save the galaxy from destruction. In a season filled with top notch game, Mass Effect raises the bar for story driven games. It is not the best story ever told in a game, it is the best story ever experienced in a game. Play this game. Expand
  33. CaptainSpandex
    Nov 25, 2007
    Innovative in the extreme, well-executed. The hardware suffers from the somewhat outdated KOTOR engine, but in measuring the slightly annoying against the exceedingly well-executed and groundbreaking whole, it's pretty clear Mass Effect is the future of video games.
  34. DorianK.
    Nov 25, 2007
    An impressive story, true choice of actions, an old school Space Opera universe, a impressive and working mix between FPS and Strategy for the compat. Despite a few technical issues (glitches and lag), the game is a perfection. There is no over game in the market that give a so intense RPG experience. None... I played and finished it 3 times. I will probably play it a 4th time....This is An impressive story, true choice of actions, an old school Space Opera universe, a impressive and working mix between FPS and Strategy for the compat. Despite a few technical issues (glitches and lag), the game is a perfection. There is no over game in the market that give a so intense RPG experience. None... I played and finished it 3 times. I will probably play it a 4th time....This is the first game of a new genre and I can't wait to see what Mass Effect 2 will be looking like ! Expand
  35. HeistenfaustR.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Very good game one of the best on the 360. Only problems: Short for a Bioware game and lots of pop-in.
  36. TheNatural
    Nov 20, 2007
    Best graphics, story and deepest gameplay experience ever created. 2007 GOTY.
  37. RakanAksoy
    Nov 27, 2007
    Game deserves a 9.5 but I'm giving it a 10 so it get out of the 8.9 (which is due to Sony fan boys).
    Mass Effect is a game that all gamers must experience.It does have it's few flaws which really shine out just because everything else is stunning, and we expected it to be perfect.
  38. ChrisH.
    Nov 28, 2007
    This is the greatest game I have ever played. If you never play Mass Effect, you are seriously depriving yourself. It has an extremely well-done story, great characters, very good combat, excellent facial customization, superb voice acting. Oh yeah, the graphics are great too. This game is an RPG, not a shooter, so there will definitely be a learning curve, and you cannot take on an army This is the greatest game I have ever played. If you never play Mass Effect, you are seriously depriving yourself. It has an extremely well-done story, great characters, very good combat, excellent facial customization, superb voice acting. Oh yeah, the graphics are great too. This game is an RPG, not a shooter, so there will definitely be a learning curve, and you cannot take on an army if your character can't, no matter how good you are, but the combat is very enjoyable. This is not a buggy game, I don't know why some people pretend it is. I have completed this game, and so have two of my brothers, and bugginess is far below that of most games I've played. The only caveat in regards to the game is this, it is a true RPG. If you hate RPG's you will probably complain about this game. If you do tolerate RPG's though, be prepared to have a wonderful ride. Expand
  39. AlexQ.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Game of the year, best rpg i've ever played. For those who think that it needs to be on a pc, I disagree, the full experiance comes from a wide screen, surround sound, and 360 graphics.
  40. JesseM.
    Dec 21, 2007
    Mass Effect is one the greatest games I have ever played. The story line is ingrossing the combat is intense and rewarding especly when you can upgrade the ammo to do all sorts of crazy things like cyro bullets or raditon bullets. The best part about this game though is the diolouge. Bioware just thought of this great universe on there own. Its not based on Halo or Star Wars it is all Mass Effect is one the greatest games I have ever played. The story line is ingrossing the combat is intense and rewarding especly when you can upgrade the ammo to do all sorts of crazy things like cyro bullets or raditon bullets. The best part about this game though is the diolouge. Bioware just thought of this great universe on there own. Its not based on Halo or Star Wars it is all new. I would also just like to add that picking diolouge is pretty tough in a good way. There are many tough decisons to be made in Mass Effect and universe to discover what are you waiting for get this GAME!!! Expand
  41. AlanA.
    Dec 26, 2007
    Mass Effect is great. On par with Oblivion not quite as good but damn close. Enough side quests but not enough. Story line is great, graphics don't disappoint, overall this game is a great buy. (if you rent you'll cry on the day its due)
  42. Zenjamin
    Dec 26, 2007
    all of the legitimate complaints, come from technical issues. well, I havent had any technical issues. but perhaps this is because my 360 is new? All i know is, no game has ever come close to invoking this much emotion in me. and i dont think another will untill the trilogy continues. i just dont understand why some of the Users give it such low reviews, FAR lower then ANY critic. I all of the legitimate complaints, come from technical issues. well, I havent had any technical issues. but perhaps this is because my 360 is new? All i know is, no game has ever come close to invoking this much emotion in me. and i dont think another will untill the trilogy continues. i just dont understand why some of the Users give it such low reviews, FAR lower then ANY critic. I really think it is either PS3 fanboys or RPG haters, I can understand going into yellow for technical issues (which i could not find), but there is no honest reason why anyone should rate this in the red. Expand
  43. AnonymousMC
    Dec 29, 2007
    I love how people like Tom compare ME gameplay with Mario galaxy,yes good comparsion,lets compare STarcraft2 with cooking mama in gameplay at the future too...

If you loved Kotor you will Love ME,it has framerateproblems in combat,but its not more then in Kotor,the story and the characters are well made,the gameplay has been refined to suit action fans,and hardcore rpg fans with a pause button.
  44. Kordesh
    Dec 4, 2007
    Absolute art. It's held back visually slightly by the technical limitations of the xbox360, but the developers have managed to reasonably work around it to make the game generally look amazing as well as run at a decent pace. Overall what makes this an excellent game, as with most Bioware games, is the story. Interesting characters, deep and fleshed out plot and back story, Absolute art. It's held back visually slightly by the technical limitations of the xbox360, but the developers have managed to reasonably work around it to make the game generally look amazing as well as run at a decent pace. Overall what makes this an excellent game, as with most Bioware games, is the story. Interesting characters, deep and fleshed out plot and back story, there's tons of it and it only leaves you asking for more. Fortunately, as it is an episodic series, there will be! Expand
  45. CS.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Simply stunning array of visuals and plot. There is so much to do it'll be impossible to complete this game in any decent amount of time unless you play right through the story. But what really makes this game outstanding is its engrossing character developement, interactive dialogue, and a true storytelling factor that has become increasingly rare this day in age. A must have for Simply stunning array of visuals and plot. There is so much to do it'll be impossible to complete this game in any decent amount of time unless you play right through the story. But what really makes this game outstanding is its engrossing character developement, interactive dialogue, and a true storytelling factor that has become increasingly rare this day in age. A must have for RPG and action fans alike. Expand
  46. JohnJ.
    Dec 6, 2007
    Almost everything about this game is great. The graphics, the setting, the story, the main storyline missions and the some of the side missions, they are all great and has been discussed in great detail in other reviews. What's not so great is the exploration part, once you've visited the first 8 planets (and pressed A to survey) you start loosing interest in that aspect of the Almost everything about this game is great. The graphics, the setting, the story, the main storyline missions and the some of the side missions, they are all great and has been discussed in great detail in other reviews. What's not so great is the exploration part, once you've visited the first 8 planets (and pressed A to survey) you start loosing interest in that aspect of the game. Driving the MAKO around a square patch of extremely mountainy terrain, finding guns in downed sattelites and fighting the same big-ass worm on every planet also quickly looses it's appeal. So even though I immediately started the game anew after completing it the first time (30+ hours), I sincerely hope that the two sequels will offer a little more diversity in the exploration department. More trading/mission hubs instead of just the Citadel would be nice, maybe a bit more lively universe in general. Expand
  47. MattN.
    Jan 19, 2008
    This game is probably one of the best RPG's ever out, only rivalled by oblivion. It has stunning graphics, and choosing what you say is possibly the best thing about it. Maybe the gameplay is a bit lacking such as the annoying sniping on it, but when you get into this game, you will not stop!!
  48. DavidD
    Dec 13, 2008
    I just played and I have one word to say: Unbelievable! Loved KOTOR and now we have another incredible winner! Mass Effect is amazing! Mike A says that its a run and gun and a failure to immerse. At the same time he says there is an endless dialogue tree! LOL! Well, how do you think you get immersed in the story and the characters Mike? I loved all the dialogue and a chance to get into I just played and I have one word to say: Unbelievable! Loved KOTOR and now we have another incredible winner! Mass Effect is amazing! Mike A says that its a run and gun and a failure to immerse. At the same time he says there is an endless dialogue tree! LOL! Well, how do you think you get immersed in the story and the characters Mike? I loved all the dialogue and a chance to get into every aspect of the game! The more I learned, the more I enjoyed the game. Bioware is just amazing! The story is awesome and it just gets better and better as the game goes on! This is a all time classic hit! Don't miss out. Expand
  49. Kell
    Jan 2, 2008
    An easy 10 for me. This is now my all time favorite game (toppled SC: Chaos Theory). The story is well written and leaves you satisfied but still thirsting for more at the end. It's clear it was created with replayability in mind which is one of the things I look closest at when about to drop $60 on a game. Besides the different story lines based on your choice of personal An easy 10 for me. This is now my all time favorite game (toppled SC: Chaos Theory). The story is well written and leaves you satisfied but still thirsting for more at the end. It's clear it was created with replayability in mind which is one of the things I look closest at when about to drop $60 on a game. Besides the different story lines based on your choice of personal background, personality and choices during gameplay, after earning achievements you are rewarded with a bump in your stats (shields, health, etc) or the ability to use a non-class skill with any characters you create thereafter. You can also start a new story with an established high level character after completing the game. This way you start with all your skills, items and cash. The squad based combat system works great though the ally AI seems to suffer a bit (some of these settings can be tweaked to allow more control though). Really nothing worse than any other game out there, unless you count games designed specifically for it a la Rainbow Six Vegas. The dialog wheel for conversations is brilliant and made talking to NPCs fun instead of feeling like you were just waiting your turn. Some of the side quests and worlds get a little repetitious but there are surprisingly little FedEx style objectives and for the most part are fun and dynamic depending on your choices in the game. Really, any negative I could mention about the game is only nitpicking and in no way detracts from the experience. For me, this is the best yet out of the 360. Expand
  50. RafaV
    Dec 3, 2008
    Amazing. Though I have to admit that the beggining may not very extremely compelling (not as, for instante, those first ten minutes of FFVII or GTAIV), this is a game that is able to get you more and more involved as you play it. By the end of the game, I felt 100% concerned about every single step or choice I was to make. The last hour of gameplay was one of the most enjoyable gaming Amazing. Though I have to admit that the beggining may not very extremely compelling (not as, for instante, those first ten minutes of FFVII or GTAIV), this is a game that is able to get you more and more involved as you play it. By the end of the game, I felt 100% concerned about every single step or choice I was to make. The last hour of gameplay was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had. All the game is extremely well done: thescenery, the deep conversational options, the varied side missions... but above all, the main missions are pretty wonderfull: short but really interesintg videos, a wide variety of options on how to finish them, really well-developed and imaginative worlds... I really loved this game. I'm pretty sure I will go through it again, and for sure I'll be there when the next episodes appear... It's really worh it! Expand
  51. KevinD.
    Jan 29, 2008
    I have played through this game twice now - both times with friends watching. A good game can keep the player interested in its events. A great game keeps onlookers hooked as well. Mass Effect did that not once, but twice, and my friends are already asking for another round. Bravo.
  52. TroyW.
    Feb 18, 2008
    I love this game. I was unsure at first, but when I got into it, I saw one of the most amazing RPG games I have ever seen. While I was not a fan of sci-fi at all, this game has changed my way of thinking and I can't wait for Mass Effect 2 and 3.
  53. Roo
    Feb 22, 2008
    This is a great game... the more I play it the more fun it becomes and the storyline is really an attention grabber! I recomand this game to everyone, it is very good.
  54. BopBopPerono
    Mar 2, 2008
    A score of ten does is no matter of the number mean that this game is perfect. The constant texturing loads during gameplay, some sluggish controls, and the extremely slow moving elevators despite it being in the future are also nagging at you. But you play this game right it is one of the most amazing experiances a game can give you.
  55. TomS.
    Apr 29, 2008
    Despite giving this game a 10, I have one problem which I should get out of the way before I begin. The lead character, supposedly a big tough guy, runs like an absolute chicken! I cant believe that no one in the development team pointed out this obvious fact! Right, with that out of the way, I'll get on with talking about this ultimate game. Stepping away from the usual swords and Despite giving this game a 10, I have one problem which I should get out of the way before I begin. The lead character, supposedly a big tough guy, runs like an absolute chicken! I cant believe that no one in the development team pointed out this obvious fact! Right, with that out of the way, I'll get on with talking about this ultimate game. Stepping away from the usual swords and sorcery theme of RPGs, Mass Effect is a fantastic sci-fi adventure set in a huge game world. A wide variety of planets can be explored by travelling to them in your ship and you must be prepared to put in a lot of hours if you want to complete this game. There is a lot of imaginative character and level design here, and the graphics are some of the best on 360. There is no other game like this available on any console so it is another addition to the ever-growing list of 'must have' games for the 360. If you havent got this already then why not?! Expand
  56. MikeL.
    Apr 29, 2008
    I can honestly say this is the best non-sequel of 2007.
    Cons: Occasionally choppy framerate, some item managing issues, and minor AI stupidity.
    I can honestly say this is the best non-sequel of 2007.
    Pros: Amazing graphics, some of the best voice acting I've ever seen, if not THE best, a soundtrack that is both captivating and original, terrific RPG elements, great and fun combat, a memorable, diverse and emotional cast of characters, and one of the best stories ever, video game or otherwise.
    This game is AWESOME. Can't wait for the sequel.
  57. RossB.
    Aug 19, 2008
    Truly an epic game that sets the bar in fun, story telling, and graphics.
  58. KimL.
    Aug 2, 2008
    This game has a perfect storyline and a great combat system. Don't let Fred B. lies to u guys.
  59. AaroTurunen
    Sep 15, 2008
    How do you tell a good movie (or rarely, a game) from an exceptional movie?
    You realize you have seen something exceptional when you find yourself blankly staring through the whole end credits and dont feel quite normal for the rest of the night.
    How do you tell a good movie (or rarely, a game) from an exceptional movie?
    Since Fallouts, no game has caused similar feelings for me, as playing through/finishing Mass Effect. Only great movies have managed that, difference being, that ME has endlessly more replayability than many of the greatest movies.
    Luckily the story hasn´t ended yet...
  60. JayC
    Jan 12, 2009
    Wow!! What a game,, Loved every second a must have game at such a low price!!! Graphics Superb, A story that really grips you and coice acting that represents a movie this is a true showcase of video game awesomeness. Xbox 360 exclusive i can see why this is truly for the premier gaming console. I have both consoles and this is the reason i got my xbox and why my ps3 is starting to gather Wow!! What a game,, Loved every second a must have game at such a low price!!! Graphics Superb, A story that really grips you and coice acting that represents a movie this is a true showcase of video game awesomeness. Xbox 360 exclusive i can see why this is truly for the premier gaming console. I have both consoles and this is the reason i got my xbox and why my ps3 is starting to gather dust. Luckily i haven't fell into this trap but Beware: THIS GAME IS ADDICTIVE Expand
  61. JeremyW
    Jan 25, 2009
    I couldn't put Mass Effect down. This game was responsible for many late nights and many bleary-eyed mornings. Once I got appropriately leveled, the combat was outstanding, the special skills were impressive and useful, and the story really made me consider my choices carefully. I'll be playing through Mass Effect again as a different character class soon.
  62. MatthewE
    Mar 3, 2009
    One of the best, most fleshed out storys of any game on XBOX360 or PS3 yet. The combat can be a little clunky every now and then, but who cares. I'll play though 5 minutes of close combat camera snaffu's every now and then to advance this story. Bring on part 2!
  63. BrennanM
    Mar 6, 2009
    Straight out: Does this game have some flaws? Yes. It has a so-so weapons menu, the graphics can get glitchy at times (IE you see the system putting layers on characters as you're watching a cutscene), and I only did 3 of the dozens of side quests, and I got bored with those alone. But that's IT. Basically, the game was amazing. Fun story, interesting characters, appropriate Straight out: Does this game have some flaws? Yes. It has a so-so weapons menu, the graphics can get glitchy at times (IE you see the system putting layers on characters as you're watching a cutscene), and I only did 3 of the dozens of side quests, and I got bored with those alone. But that's IT. Basically, the game was amazing. Fun story, interesting characters, appropriate length "main story only" (About 17 hours, and I'm by no means a videogame pro), and an overall wonderful atmosphere. I loved this game, and now I can't wait for the sequel coming out next year Expand
  64. NancyS.
    Jun 26, 2009
    Great game. One of my all-time favorites, and this is coming from a semi-hard core gamer. I loved the combat and the story and the dialog choices...I have played through this a good five or six times. The dlc isnt bad either. All in all, an almost perfect game. Those elevator rides are basically my only complaint.
  65. AnonyMous
    Jul 2, 2009
    This game is one of the best RPGs out there, with brilliant storytelling, wonderful voice acting, and a brilliant sense of epicness underlying. The only complaints are A: The slow elevators, and B: Pop-In textures after loading screens, and sometimes during important cutscenes. Other than these small things, this game is like KOTOR on steroids.
  66. MatthewB
    Aug 19, 2009
    An Excellent Story. Best I have ever played. Don't think of this game as a shooter or RPG but an actual Full Length Film you get to play the star in.
  67. HarveyB
    Jan 13, 2010
    First i must start by saying that i have played many games this generations of games. So when i went to pick up this gem at the local Bestbuy for 20.00$ i was keen to see what acclaimed studio Bioware had done. After playing this game however i can boldly say that this game is second only to Half-Life 2 for its storytelling. its an enriching space opera that unfolds into a brilliant First i must start by saying that i have played many games this generations of games. So when i went to pick up this gem at the local Bestbuy for 20.00$ i was keen to see what acclaimed studio Bioware had done. After playing this game however i can boldly say that this game is second only to Half-Life 2 for its storytelling. its an enriching space opera that unfolds into a brilliant story. the performances are spot on, the dialogue witty and humorous at times, this is one game everyone who owns an Xbox 360 should play. there are some flaws like long loading times with elevators and some pop up graphics and stuttering. But installing onto the Hard Drive should fix this. This is a triumph in Sci-fi action gaming. Expand
  68. RonJ.
    Nov 13, 2007
    Amazingly good. Put the disc in to check out what the big deal was about this game and I quickly found out. 2 hours later I drug myself away from the 360 only to practically count down the time till I could play some more. Graphics, sounds, voice acting (its got Seth Green!), gameplay are all top notch. 3rd person RPG alone would be good but this is so much more. HUGE environments with Amazingly good. Put the disc in to check out what the big deal was about this game and I quickly found out. 2 hours later I drug myself away from the 360 only to practically count down the time till I could play some more. Graphics, sounds, voice acting (its got Seth Green!), gameplay are all top notch. 3rd person RPG alone would be good but this is so much more. HUGE environments with stuff to do everywhere. A+++ Expand
  69. CJStrike
    Nov 15, 2007
    Now I don't give out easy 10's. In comparison I thought BioShock was a 9.7. This really shows how good I believe this game is. For those who don't know, Mass Effect feels like a mix between 3rd person shooter, squad-based combat and an RPG style "choose your own adventure" dialogue system. I believe ME deserves a 10 based on the depth and complexity of dialogue and the Now I don't give out easy 10's. In comparison I thought BioShock was a 9.7. This really shows how good I believe this game is. For those who don't know, Mass Effect feels like a mix between 3rd person shooter, squad-based combat and an RPG style "choose your own adventure" dialogue system. I believe ME deserves a 10 based on the depth and complexity of dialogue and the story. There is so much you can learn about everything in the Mass Effect universe from talking to people or looking at the codex. The graphics are truely next gen as well as the music is truely amazing. The moments that define Mass Effect are the on-edge dialogue scenes where one option is life, and the other death. In a world full of strict shooters and strict RPGs, Mass Effect flirts with both extremely well. This allows for a much bigger audience to be able to play and enjoy this game. Overall I believe if you own a 360, you must own Mass Effect. Expand
  70. LeeA.
    Nov 18, 2007
    The real nex-gen RPG is here. Mass effect, has an amazing story, great visuals, refreshing combat system and awsome interactivity. Even if you are not a fan of RPGs this game is a must have.
  71. HayleyM.
    Nov 19, 2007
    The best RPG game ever released. This is not meant to be a shooter game, if you want a shooter, go play Call of Duty 4. This game plays out like an interactive, epic movie, and some of the choices you make completely change everything, and it is amazing to see! The graphics are so realistic and amazing compared to KOTOR's graphics! You will actually feel connected to your party The best RPG game ever released. This is not meant to be a shooter game, if you want a shooter, go play Call of Duty 4. This game plays out like an interactive, epic movie, and some of the choices you make completely change everything, and it is amazing to see! The graphics are so realistic and amazing compared to KOTOR's graphics! You will actually feel connected to your party members, and the dialogue wheel is so fun to use, you'll find talking to characters much easier than scrolling through lines of text like in KOTOR. This is a huge and amazingly in depth game, the codex (encyclopedia of Mass Effect) is huge, and there is so much detail in this game its amazing. A rare treat, where you actually will want to replay again, and never regret purchasing! Expand
  72. ChrisD.
    Nov 19, 2007
    Mass Effect sets a new standard for storytelling and cinematics, just as Kotor did before it. It does has faults- Somewhat questioanable AI at times, sidequests that aren't up to the same standard as the main quest and the issues with textures loading that are prevalent with all games using the Unreal Engine. None of these stand in the way of making it a truly amazing experience Mass Effect sets a new standard for storytelling and cinematics, just as Kotor did before it. It does has faults- Somewhat questioanable AI at times, sidequests that aren't up to the same standard as the main quest and the issues with textures loading that are prevalent with all games using the Unreal Engine. None of these stand in the way of making it a truly amazing experience though. RPG of the year. Probably Game of the year. Expand
  73. MessiahL.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Alright, the idiots who keep thinking this is a shooter need to find another medocre play--like Gears of War. The vacuous need not apply here. Mass Effect is easily one of the greatest RPGs of the decade--and I have no idea why people keep passing off the combat. Trust me, it isn't as bad as the critics claim. Though if you are more into testosterone-oriented gameplay like Crysis and Alright, the idiots who keep thinking this is a shooter need to find another medocre play--like Gears of War. The vacuous need not apply here. Mass Effect is easily one of the greatest RPGs of the decade--and I have no idea why people keep passing off the combat. Trust me, it isn't as bad as the critics claim. Though if you are more into testosterone-oriented gameplay like Crysis and GoW you might want to play a game with Dionysus. Storylines with depth might be intimidating to you--but keep out of metacritic, please. Expand
  74. JasonL.
    Nov 21, 2007
    I'm sure Sugreev doesn't even own a 360 he's probably another PS3 fan jealous of the 360 games. I like the way he says it's too long for an RPG...that is part of the point of being an RPG a long game that tells a great story. But back to business, this game is great; everything I have come to expect from Bioware. I'm only about 3 hours in but the story is very I'm sure Sugreev doesn't even own a 360 he's probably another PS3 fan jealous of the 360 games. I like the way he says it's too long for an RPG...that is part of the point of being an RPG a long game that tells a great story. But back to business, this game is great; everything I have come to expect from Bioware. I'm only about 3 hours in but the story is very involving the combat is gretat for an RPG, it's even solid if you were playing a shooter. My only gripes with this game and they are a minor annoyances are the fact that you can't learn abilities outside your class, I'm a Vanguard and I can't learn how to use a sniper rifle or an assault rifle so the guns are esentially useless. And the second thing is that I wish you could switch between abilites in combat without having to pause the game. But all in all this game is a fast paced KOTOR without the crappy frame rates. Everyone owes it to themselves to check this one out. Expand
  75. KevinB.
    Nov 21, 2007
    I'm giving a 10, though I'd really rate it a 9.6, so I rounded up. This game is beautiful. Complex RPG character options, beautiful graphics, extreme customizability, great characters and story, this game is near perfect. One issue is that framerate stutters at times, but this is minimal. Also, some of the AI of the enemies I've encountered so far is rather simple, but then I'm giving a 10, though I'd really rate it a 9.6, so I rounded up. This game is beautiful. Complex RPG character options, beautiful graphics, extreme customizability, great characters and story, this game is near perfect. One issue is that framerate stutters at times, but this is minimal. Also, some of the AI of the enemies I've encountered so far is rather simple, but then again this game is focused on being an RPG, so in my opinion enemy AI in the FPS portions isn't that important. Overall, it's a superb game. Looks like it could overtake Bioshock for my pick for game of the year. Expand
  76. MB
    Nov 20, 2007
    Great RPG, it's not a shooter though. I constantly hear gripes about the combat... personally I think that it is some of the best RPG I have expierenced. If you are buying the game for an RPG you'll love it, if you don't like RPG's then why would you buy it, or review it for that matter.
  77. SteveK.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Not a shooter really, this is an RPG that uses some shooter elements in its combat. But this is a gorgeous, engrossing RPG experience. If you liked KotoR, this is a no-brainer. If you like RPGs, this is a no-brainer. If you like sci-fi, this is a no-brainer. I can't believe this game costs as much as some of those movie game pieces of crap they make nowadays. The best game I've Not a shooter really, this is an RPG that uses some shooter elements in its combat. But this is a gorgeous, engrossing RPG experience. If you liked KotoR, this is a no-brainer. If you like RPGs, this is a no-brainer. If you like sci-fi, this is a no-brainer. I can't believe this game costs as much as some of those movie game pieces of crap they make nowadays. The best game I've played in a long time, rivals oblivion for best next-gen RPG, and it has that kind of immersive, movie quality feel that I haven't experienced since the first KotoR, but Mass Effect's visuals are 1000% better than Knights of the Old Republic. A MUST buy for your 360. Expand
  78. JoshuaT.
    Nov 20, 2007
    Awesome game. How can you not like this game? You must love Halo 3 a bit too much if you think this is long and boring! Sets the bar for RPGS everywhere!
  79. ChrisM.
    Nov 20, 2007
    The story, good god man the story.
  80. StanH.
    Nov 20, 2007
    The voice acting, directing, and production values are outstanding. It's going to be rough in the future for any RPG to offer either text responses or stilted audio replies. There are some technical flaws but what they've accomplished here far surpasses those and deserves full credit. Kudos!
  81. PeterHoughton
    Nov 24, 2007
    It's so rare to play a game that pushes the boundaries of video game graphics and is also a very fun to play. This game is so awesome, it's guaranteed there will be Sony and Nintendo fan boys entering 1 out of 10 ratings for this game on here. I read those to mean "we surrender, this game is too great for us!"
  82. JoshuaW.
    Nov 24, 2007
    There are alot of technical issues with the game, side quests are not anywhere near the quality of the main quest (The sidequests are still better than many games out there). Those issues aside, you have to give this game a 10 because even though it's not a perfect game it still blows every other game away in terms of story, scope, sound/music RPG elements and 2nd best in graphics There are alot of technical issues with the game, side quests are not anywhere near the quality of the main quest (The sidequests are still better than many games out there). Those issues aside, you have to give this game a 10 because even though it's not a perfect game it still blows every other game away in terms of story, scope, sound/music RPG elements and 2nd best in graphics and 3rd person combat (other than Gears of War). Expand
  83. IanO.
    Nov 24, 2007
    GOTY by far.... Absoloute must buy for people who love great storylines and brilliant characters
  84. StefC.
    Nov 25, 2007
    There's some issues with the game such as the frame-rate and GUI, but if you can get past that, you will find a well thought out rpg. The exploration is fantastic, the story, the gameplay and the characters. If your on the fence deciding whether or not to purchase this game,
  85. DarrenR.
    Nov 25, 2007
    A truly immersive experience. The characters are alive more than in any game I've played. The graphics are great - very atmospheric. And the combat is far better than I was expecting. It's not a weak point at all! It's this or Bioshock for GOTY.
  86. Stef
    Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not a big rpg fan by any means, but this game is something special. It feels right, it makes you care about your characters and those you meet. There's a storyline, depending on how much you want to invest, the more it will give. The combat is great fun, the presentation and voice acting is tremendous, exploration is awesome and the dialogue system is top-notch. There are I'm not a big rpg fan by any means, but this game is something special. It feels right, it makes you care about your characters and those you meet. There's a storyline, depending on how much you want to invest, the more it will give. The combat is great fun, the presentation and voice acting is tremendous, exploration is awesome and the dialogue system is top-notch. There are some minor issues such as frame-rate slow downs and GUI problems. But if you can look past these, you will find a universe that is richly thoughtout. Definitely lots of replay value in ths game. Expand
  87. DanielS.
    Nov 26, 2007
    I think this game is immersive and beautifully rendered. You can find out as little about stuff as you would like or as much as you would like. I look into every detail, but if you want you can run and gun your way striaght to the end. I just really like this game, and I am taken back so many times by what is going on.
  88. TomA.
    Nov 26, 2007
    Wonderful game. The people giving it 1's seem to forget that the game is first and foremost an RPG, and that good RPGs have emersive storylines. Mass Effect follows up on that with a great story, and amazing digital characters. Everything is in-game engine, and looks beautiful. Combat does have a stiff learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you can get your squad to wield a Wonderful game. The people giving it 1's seem to forget that the game is first and foremost an RPG, and that good RPGs have emersive storylines. Mass Effect follows up on that with a great story, and amazing digital characters. Everything is in-game engine, and looks beautiful. Combat does have a stiff learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, you can get your squad to wield a lot of power, especially if you can master syncronization of powers such as lift and throw to knock a strong enemy off a ledge to their death. Most of the complaints are about minor glitches, many of which could be fixed with a patch. Expand
  89. StevenB.
    Nov 27, 2007
    An incredible experience, despite some minor technical flaws. If you have any love of sci fi, role playing games, shooters or great stories, you should play this game.
  90. Drew
    Nov 28, 2007
    Words cannot describe how epic this game is, an adventure for the ages and by far the most rewarding game I have experienced. The characters and world created put you at awe each time you look across the environments and cities. The story is the deepest and most playable in video game history in my opinion as all people who enjoy RPG's or any adventure at all should not pass up this Words cannot describe how epic this game is, an adventure for the ages and by far the most rewarding game I have experienced. The characters and world created put you at awe each time you look across the environments and cities. The story is the deepest and most playable in video game history in my opinion as all people who enjoy RPG's or any adventure at all should not pass up this amazing game! Expand
  91. AdamM.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Outstanding plot. Great action. Good visuals.
  92. Sam
    Dec 11, 2007
    First, I'd like to say... if you beat this game in 14 hours, you missed a LOT of backstory and side missions. There is so much to this game... a complete universe, and everything you do is so well thought out you can just feel the tremendous amount of work they put into planning this game. Skipping all of that work to rush to the game's end in 14 hours is nearly a crime. The one First, I'd like to say... if you beat this game in 14 hours, you missed a LOT of backstory and side missions. There is so much to this game... a complete universe, and everything you do is so well thought out you can just feel the tremendous amount of work they put into planning this game. Skipping all of that work to rush to the game's end in 14 hours is nearly a crime. The one problem I had was that your squad mates are very, very stupid. That's it; everything else I came across, from the thousands of possible dialog variations to the little planetary bios just made my jaw drop in awe. Don't let the nay-sayers dissuade you, this is without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played. Expand
  93. Huck
    Dec 1, 2007
    This is an excellent game. As a person who has always been a FPS player and never a fan of RPG's let me say, I loved this game. Not because its a good shooter, cause its not. For people who are hardcore FPS players, the combat in this game is remedial. But the game as a whole is an incredible experience and was very, very engrossing cinematic ride. I recommend this game as a must This is an excellent game. As a person who has always been a FPS player and never a fan of RPG's let me say, I loved this game. Not because its a good shooter, cause its not. For people who are hardcore FPS players, the combat in this game is remedial. But the game as a whole is an incredible experience and was very, very engrossing cinematic ride. I recommend this game as a must play along with Bioshock and COD4!! Expand
  94. DanielK.
    Dec 10, 2007
    This game has easily blown my expectations away, from the amazing combat to the difficult and heartfelt decisions you make along the way. Not even the minor graphical glitches could sway my love for this amazing game. Easily a contender for Game of the Year.
  95. LeroyR.
    Dec 2, 2007
    Mass effect is brilliant. I must say it is much more ambitious than Kotor and this only allows the player to realize the scope of this magnificent game. i cant believe how good this game is. Its like Kotor, Graw and Oblivion wrapped in one graphically superior package which couldn't have been done with the last gen consoles. Mass effect is like watching a movie and I playing this Mass effect is brilliant. I must say it is much more ambitious than Kotor and this only allows the player to realize the scope of this magnificent game. i cant believe how good this game is. Its like Kotor, Graw and Oblivion wrapped in one graphically superior package which couldn't have been done with the last gen consoles. Mass effect is like watching a movie and I playing this games truly makes me believe that a really good video game movie is possible. love you Bioware you have yet to make an average game, but can we have Kotor 3 please? Expand
  96. MaxM.
    Dec 24, 2007
    I just love the whole sci-fi exploring planets-shooting lasers theme of this game. The lighting effects are amazing, the scenery of every planet is fun to look at, and the replay value makes Bioshock look like a piece of crap.
  97. TrevorB.
    Dec 25, 2007
    This is the best RPG I've seen since Neverwinter Nights. While there's some areas that could be improved on, overall the game is very well polished, has plenty of replay value, and tells a great story. I can't wait for Mass Effect 2 & 3.
  98. Brett
    Dec 26, 2007
    If you are a SciFi fan and like RPG games, there is nothing better. Sure not every aspect of the game is a 10, but the sheer beauty, scope, and fantastic story of mass effect make up for it. 60 hours into it and level 50 on my first play through and I'm excited to start over a a new character. This is the future of this type of game. You won't be disapointed.
  99. Daz
    Dec 4, 2007
    A tremendous game that has alot of potential, sure i was hoped for more intetaction but everything is so smooth and well done i cant really fault for anything above minor niggles that arent important.
  100. WinstonSmith
    Jan 18, 2008
    Mass Effect is like the escape scene in Shawshank Redemption: it gives you the same feeling of joy, liberation, and hope after having crawled through the tunnel of shit that is the gaming industry.
    I'm just disgusted that BioShock is beating this game in score and attention. The only thing I can credit BioShock with is creating an original world with a thoroughly convoluted plot. That was refreshing...but that's where it ends. Note that the adjectives "original" and "convoluted" are to be taken literally. They mean exactly what they mean...they don't mean the story is cohesive, engaging, compelling, or believable.
    Then there's the hideous design. Each level starts out with the objective of getting out. Naturally, you make your way to the exit, only to find out that you have to backtrack across the whole level to pick up stuff you couldnt access before just to get BACK to the now accessible exit... That's real nice. It's like some said: Hey 2K! Let's make the entire plot one huge distraction on the player's path to the exit... There was no AI to speak of. The weapons are common and all the talk of upgrades is worthless because it only exists to counterbalance the fact that all the enemies gradually get more health. Plasmids are largely redundant and poorly implemented. The problem is, you simple never HAVE to use them. Every obstacle can easily be solved with a wrench or electrified ammo. And on top of that, every effort is made even MORE meaningless by virtue of the respawning machines that bring you back and leave everyone's health just as you left it. They say that it's a game where YOU are responsible for the quality of the experience. I say that's really shitty game design. Chess is "strategic" because of the set rules that apply...not because you have force yourself to make up rules. And that is what's winning over the masterpiece that is Mass Effect.

That's not to say that Mass Effect doesn't have its flaws. The AI makes BioShock's look brilliant. The enemies are SO aesthetically redundant, as are the weapons. Of course, if you put your mind to it, you could come up with a meaningful reason why the Geth are a bland assortment of gray and white...but since the game never cares to discuss their appearance, we'll say it was a poor design choice. Hmm...I suppose that's it really for the flaws. I don't consider the texture loading a significant flaw. It doesn't bother me in the least. Honestly...all these flaws are the result of releasing it too early. They could've further developed the AI, and made the enemies/weapons look different instead of just painting them different colors. It was such a mistake... Mass Effect got buried under all the November releases. Stupid BioShock!
    Now on to the amazing! The story...someone here said something along the lines of: "Good lord, the story!!!". My sentiments exactly. Now, we all know it isn't anything particularly original, but only an idiot disregards unoriginal ideas as worthless. The beauty of Mass Effect is in the execution. It took the tried and true alien/human foundation and took it up about 10 notches. The achievement of Mass Effect's story is comparable to LOTR. LOTR did nothing original. Light vs Dark is the oldest damn thing in the book...yet it added humanity to it...something we could touch.
    I'm shocked that people are saying BioShock has amazing graphics with Mass Effect out. Mass Effect makes everything else look like polygonal vomit. The textures are so wonderfully accurate it makes me want to touch myself. I have never given a crap about graphics. I always said I'd sooner play Grim Fandango or Fallout instead of Crysis. But the graphics in Mass Effect are functional...they're not just "blow everything else out of the water" amazing...they move the experience a little closer to you. I would readily say that Mass Effect is the best graphics showcase in history. Crysis can suck it.
    Now I know, that some people said that compared to KOTOR, Mass Effect lacks NPC depth and interaction. I think that people simply confused quantity for depth. It pissed me off to no end when I'd be in the middle of a dungeon and Carth would start a freaking 5 minute soap opera with any of the characters. Their petty emotions and hissy fits only distracted me from w/e was going on at the moment. It didn't bring me any closer to the experience because their hissy fits were too personal. Their problems belonged to a different time and place that added little to nothing to the present experience. Mass Effect disbands the illusion of quantity as depth and brings something more meaningful into the game. No, you can't have a meaningless conversation with everyone you see, but why would you want to? That just dilutes the quality of NPC interaction. What if I'm roleplaying as someone who doesn't give a rats ass about personal issues? Mass Effect lets you. The characters open up if you want them to. It's war...and it feels like it. Your crew doesn't pester you with stupidity every 10 minutes unlike in KOTOR. Honestly, I would trade the little bits of elevator banter in Mass Effect for all the stupid personal dilemmas of the KOTOR whiners. Even the ELEVATORS drag you into the universe. If your NPC aren't exchanging thoughts in them, the elevator radio always drops some info or hint pertaining to one quest or another...or it reinforces the general mood of the game. Honestly, I can't praise this game enough.
    This game is the most cinematic piece of work EVER. I wouldn't be surprised if the people making it had film degrees. Just from the opening cut-scenes, you see just how dramatic and cinematic the camera work is. You really have to see it to believe it. I mean, they even give you the option to have a FILM GRAIN. That's brilliant. I didn't particularly like it, but the significance was not lost on me.
    The dialogue wheel was...dubious. At times I thoroughly enjoyed it. At others I wished there was a more significant difference in the dialogue options. I guess I'm just a fan of the old school, Fallout type list of dialogue options. I suppose with a bit of refinement, the dialogue wheel could've been even more amazing than it already is. it could've had the feel of a Fallout list of options...

I don't know why people are bashing the inventory. Considering the wealth of items you have to manage, I thought it was extremely intuitive. Maybe people are just retarded.
    I guess I'll end on a complaint so there's always something to strive for. I'm sick of the light/dark system. I suppose the paragon/renegade thing is a little better...it models more of a gray area type moral system. But I would abolish the light/dark garbage all together. Instead I'd have NPC reactions based on w/e choices you made without some light/dark value assigned to them. For example, if you chose to kill the Rachni Queen, instead of giving you renegade points, you get different kinds of options/reaction from the inhabitants of the universe. Maybe you'd earn the favor of the Krogan and the ire of Salarians who might've wanted to form an alliance...or study the Rachni. Why can't people realize that there is no light and dark. There's only action and reaction. Light/dark is a stupid and thoroughly limiting system. But w/e...people like it, and I doubt I'll see anything different until I'm the one making games. That's right...I'm gonna make em...someday!

In closing, if Mass Effect was a book, it'd be in the "necessary life reading" section. Mass Effect was such an important step for games and it sickens me that infectious waste like BioShock shadows this achievement. BioShock did NOTHING. The only consequence of BioShock is that it'll have a thousand copy cats making obscenely psychotic stories that are even less cohesive than BioShock's. And they'll all call it original and ground breaking because incohesive psycho stories aren't common. I would much sooner indulge in something common but well executed instead of something that rides only on the fact that it hasn't been done before and offers nothing but that fact. And this is coming from the person who values originality to no end. Anyway...quit wasting time and go monetarily support an achievement that deserves every penny it demands.
    Oh yeah! And how about the very subtle cliff hanger ending? I'm just dying to know more about the Reapers. I'm sensing a big philosophical revelation in the Mass Effect sequels. Let's just hope it won't be like the Matrix trilogy...

Go buy this cherry popping, krazy glue cohesive work of art!!!!!!

1. It's an adventure that is so captivating that you'll be counting the days for the sequel. It takes interactive storytelling to new heights, and brings the player closer to content than ever before. It's easily one of the year's best titles and one of the most impressive games to date. [Nov 2007, p.151]
  2. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    Far from being a ponderous sci-fi exposition, Mass Effect boasts a dynamic, well-constructed story with a broad emotional range. [Holiday 2007, p.82]
  3. Hardcore Gamer
    As it is, it's merely very good on several different levels, and is more or less a must-play for RPG fans. It will drive shooter fans completely up the wall, though. [Dec 2007, p.56]