8.6

1. Nov 17, 2011
    Metal Gear Solid is a fantastic series but these are just remakes. The updated graphics and sound are not worth paying $55 for. In my opinion, just pick up the originals.
  2. Jan 4, 2012
    They're just remakes with previous addons, they didn't even update the contents or make real time cut scenes for Peace Walker. In addition, they didn't include the ps3 exclusive of MGS4. If you've played any of the previous version then this is not worth it, it's just the same dump in a different toilet. If you missed out on any of these games then do definitely pick this up, otherwiseThey're just remakes with previous addons, they didn't even update the contents or make real time cut scenes for Peace Walker. In addition, they didn't include the ps3 exclusive of MGS4. If you've played any of the previous version then this is not worth it, it's just the same dump in a different toilet. If you missed out on any of these games then do definitely pick this up, otherwise just move on, same old ****, nothing to see here. Keep in mind this review is by someone who played and beaten all the games in this bundle several times already on the original systems they appeared on and just could play through any of them again. Expand
  3. May 25, 2015
    MGS2: It's fun but it feels awefully outdated with annoying controls and some frustrating bits. Ultimately, I understand why it's considered a classic, with a unique style and engrossing stealth. 7/10.
    MGS3: It's an improvement over MGS2 in its stealth, story, and overall game mechanics. Still, the controls are a real inconvenience (but they're not so bad once you get used to them). You can actually eat snakes! Also, it has a very good ending. 8/10.
    MGS PEace Walker: I never finished this one due to its painful steps backward. I thought, although a handheld game, it'd be better than the others because it's newer. However, the stealth is **** in this game. You can't even crawl! Its plot is interesting but its gameplay is just too focused on co-op, which doesn't work well in Metal Gear, and it sacrafices so much to try to make it work. The mother base adds more content to it and so does the multiplayer, but the latter of the two is garbage. 5.5/10.
    Overall, good value and all but Peace Walker is 'meh' and the controls are far from ideal (the Dualshock 2 had 2 sticks, why not use them for moving and aiming?). Despite the complaints, buy it if you like stealth games.
  4. Aug 25, 2012
    I believe it was said best in Sanity Not Included's Month of the Empty Wallet Video, but I'll go int greater detail now that I just finished up the last of them.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: 4 out of 10 This game was never good. This game still isn't good. This is a waste of disc space. Why couldn't they have put Twin Snakes(MGS1) on here instead? The camera is your worst

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty: 4 out of 10

This game was never good. This game still isn't good. This is a waste of disc space. Why couldn't they have put Twin Snakes(MGS1) on here instead? The camera is your worst enemy. Guards constantly spot you when you can't even see them and this get's worse once you need to turn on your radar in the rest of the rooms in the game. The Story is just plain un-interesting. Hideo Kojima may be a master writer of stories, but this one doesn't deliver until the last hour or so of game play and cut scenes, and even at that point I find myself not caring about some of the things, while the parts while interesting feel more like they belong in a film or some documentary. The Snake Tales packaged in are not voice acted, or even feature any fights or things you haven't already gotten sick of due too the story mode, and the VR missions are really repetitive. This is the low point of the collection.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: 8 out of 10

Why didn't I know this game was a thing until now? This must have truly been the greatest handheld game outside of Pokemon ever made. This game is genius. I loved Portable Ops, but the controls just were not right. Peace Walker however fixes that with a unique control set up where the game never goes first person outside of snipers, turrets, and some rocket launchers. The story is best played after you play MGS3 since it takes place 10 years after, and references it a lot.

The game does however struggle in some areas. The port failed to bring over saving pictures that you take with the in game camera, and the game doesn't use microphones without you being in a party. My other problem with this game would have to be a button mashing section that nearly brought my play through to an abrupt halt. Also very late in the game there is a point where you need to find someone in one of the missions yourself which I looked up online due to me assuming the game would eventually give me a hint.

This game has a lot of reasons to come back to it. It still has a semi active online community since MGSO is offline, and unlock-able weapons and items are not all easy to get things. It is truly a shame that I never heard about this game until he collection came out, because it is a wonderful game that mixes up the MGS formula while sticking to it's roots.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater: 10 out of 10

This game is one of the greatest games ever made. I won't spoil the ending but it is one of the greatest endings to any game ever. The bosses are all very different from one another, while some have you running and gunning tactics, some require a stealth approach, hand to hand combat, or even your typical boss with a simple tactic to beating him. Some bosses even have unique ways to fight them such as food poisoning for example. The stealth game play is great. The camera stays behind you so you can actually see in front of you. Hunting for food is rewarding, and figuring out what food is best and how to use the jungle to your advantage is it's own reward. You can throw snakes at guards or even carefully toss them in a river or place them in front of a trap.

The game also includes MG1 and MG2 which I have yet to play.

So yeah, for $40 you really can't get more bang for your buck outside a Steam Sale.

1. Feb 23, 2012
    In the end, with Metal Gear Solid HD Collection you are getting 3 games in a classic series that will last you a good 30 hours, maybe double if you partake in all of the side activities and extras that the games have. It comes close to the value of the Orange Box, especially considering that it is being sold for less than most retail games.
  2. Feb 12, 2012
    Three great games at a very good price, brilliantly standing the test of time and allowing Xbox users to play MGS 3 and Peace Walker for the very first time. An high quality package, strongly advised for everyone.
    Sure, the first game is nowhere to be found and small pieces are cut from the game. But this is still a great collection though and shows that Kojimas classics stand the test of time.