7.7

1. Nov 20, 2011
    Don't buy this game.
    this game cheats as hell, last game I did I lost for actual cpu cheating. In the 3rd quarter, most of the shots (unguarded) were missed by my team, and the other team recovered and won the game hitting incredible shots (not mentioning the unrealistic mass of turnovers I always get in every single game). I will re-sell this **** out.
    I'm creating a 3pt specialized pg,
    I've been able to make it a very good player even in rookie season because I get good scores every game. But it frustrates you with stupid and unrealistic ingame glitches that make you almost throw away the pad. Only one word: crap
  2. Oct 5, 2011
    WHY ISN'T THE GAMES RADAR REVIEW ON THE PS3 MEDIAN SCORE AS WELL!?!?!? They are virtually the same games, I've played both versions.

Anywho, The best basketball game of all time just got a billion times better. And that's a remarkable feat because NBA 2K11 was a frickin' masterpiece of sports gaming. NBA 2K12 is a beautiful love letter to the game of basketball and a dream come true to
    it's fans. Fans of the both the real and virtual world versions of the sport. Simply put: this game is INCREDIBLE. Prepare to be floored when you jump back in time and play as Bill Russell and the weathered black and white screen and filtered audio make you feel like you just time traveled back into the world of TV's Mad Men. Be wowed when you see how incredibly smooth and fluid animations. It's so photorealistic and lifelike that you will forget you're controlling a video game and think you've actually got the real life versions of Dirk, Lebron, and Kobe on Pinocchio strings making them perform miraculous moves and nailing incredible shots. The accessibility of this year's game is greatly improved as well. Just tap triangle to engage in the post to open a plethora of new moves. I swear the number of moves in this game and the amount possibilities when factoring in the game's brilliant physics engine is STAGGERING. It's virtually endless in its gameplay possibilities. You'll see a new animation nearly every play. In final, 2K Sports has become legendary. Greatness and 2K are now synonymous. It's baffling that the company could great something so incredibly better than it's predecessor when it's predecessor was arguably the greatest sports game ever made. Well chaps, there is NO ARGUMENT to be had this year: NBA 2K12 is HANDS DOWN.....THE GREATEST SPORTS GAME IN GAMING HISTORY. Get it NOW! Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2011
    Perfection,amazement just downright fun.I just got done playing multiple games online and it was like I was controlling a real game on the television.Now offline let me get started by saying that I don't want to get into everything because everything is perfect.I can't find one thing wrong with this title.I mean come on the commentary is better then any game I have ever watched in the past on TV.I played basketball for several years and this is the first time that I feel like I'm 15 years younger and I'm playing again.Let me just say this,after playing this game put in NBA Live 10,09,NBA 2k9.2K10.There obsolete,that's how good this is.EA has done a good job with there hockey and soccer,Sony has done an amazing job with there Baseball but nothing and I mean nothing can compare with the brilliance of this game. Expand
  4. Feb 6, 2012
    The look of the game is great, they definitely did their homework on presentation. Now with that being said, if you can stand a game that plays robotic (to the point where your players feel like they are lagging online, but you are playing an offline game), an online league that you can't control, multiplayer vs mode (2 on 2, 3 on 3.. etc.) that you can't change between players, doesnt have a blacktop online mode, takes 5 minutes to synchronize the rosters and save your game data every so often when you are playing, and restricted online gameplay. Then this game is for you.

If you are like me and you wish for a more smooth flowing game, with more control of the product you own. You will email and plead to EA to get back into the NBA market.
  5. Nov 20, 2011
    Its a fun game but its just a carbon with some new features and those new features have ruined a lot of the fun in the game for me and many other gamer's.
  6. Mar 12, 2012
    Horrible game glitches in game play and even at log in. I have to log in every time I start the game up for online play. 2k would never do anything to update and fix these glitches, just like the fact that this game hasn't changed at all from the last one besides Jordan's pose on the cover. Slow glitchy play throughout game. The computer is really annoying and cheats to win at the end of the game. I don't understand how anyone would enjoy that. Please bring back NBA Live so smoooooth. Oh and you would have to take a class to understand how to do moves in 2k. I can't believe Jordan would put his name on this. I give them a 3 for an unfinished product. I'll never buy a 2k product again. Expand
  7. Oct 8, 2011
    Visual concepts know how to improve on a game by far the best looking sounding and playing NBA game of all time. 2k Sports has done it again! Raiseing the bar even higher!
  8. Oct 5, 2011
    The reality is that most of the game-critiquing world slobbered all over 2K11 and praised it as the best basketball game of all time. In many respects that was praise was well-deserved because of how jam-packed it was with unprecedented (albeit untested, and often times frustratingly poorly implemented) gameplay concepts. Said reviewers however, used these excellent additions to overshadow the major faults that would often times cripple the gameplay and experience. Most notably, the online experience.

2K12 improves on virtually all aspects of the basketball simulation, specifically the GAMEPLAY. I think the animations are smooth and beautifully blended together, making the game look and feel totally organic and fluid. The new post-system is really robust despite it's simplicity. Everything just feels more responsive (except for non-icon passing, which is still inexplicably innaccurate despite working fine in almost every basketball game since like 2000), and more streamlined. The player collisions are excellent in the paint, and once fouls are turned up on the sliders, it just feels a lot more legit inside the arc. On the perimeter there are some issues in that man-to-man defense is a little rough with the new "close-out" and "high pressure" animations. When not in those animations, defender's footing is so slow that it becomes more of a nuisance trying to stay in front of ANYONE with a handle.

It's odd that they touted this new and improved MyPlayer experience, and then wound up packaging literally the exact same thing as last year, with some new useless flourishes like better interviewing mechanics (which are overly long, unskippable, and obnoxiously dull), better billboards, and better indications about and more opportunities for skill points. Everything else is literally cut and pasted from last year. Same arbitrary and dull 3 objectives per game, including one wasted on "achieve this letter grade," despite receiving points for it elsewhere. The scoring system in games is a little tuned up, but identical to last years in terms of logic. Im sorry, one nice addition is the variety of moves you can earn and specialize in (at high prices), as opposed to getting giant packages of moves.

Oh, wait, they forgot to cut and paste the biggest element they had going for them last year - Crew Mode. The game is now tailored for single player as you cant pit your myplayer against friends' characters because they fully removed the feature. Just inexplicably terrible decision making on their part, without explanation. Additionally, the online experience is just as godawful as it's been for years, when every other sports game has it figured out. Their servers fail more often than they work, and it makes me want to just give up virtually every time I try.

Additionally. Can anyone explain the logic of marketing and hyping the idea of these classic teams, and then not letting people use them when they play online against friends? Does that make any sense at all?
  9. Oct 12, 2011
    After last year's version i could not wait to get my hands on 2K12. i had no doubts that even though I did not write a letter that 2K would have focus groups, research committees, etc. look in to exactly what was great about the game and what needed to be improved. It's very frustrating as a longtime gamer to constantly see the most OBVIOUS flaws in games and not be able to get it changed. It seems to me the main improvement was making the game prettier and they succeeded. It LOOKS unbelievable but at the end of the day a true gamer wants the game to FEEL unbelievable. I'll skip to my biggest beef before this gets too long. ONLINE PLAY! How can this year's version actually be worse than last year's? The servers are so slow. Getting in to a game is terrible. Stat tracking is terrible. Quitters continue to get in to games with me even though I will sit thru an entire team-up game without ever getting the ball just because i don't quit. i will play defense, crash the boards, etc. Of course that is only if I actually get in to a game. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put a little money in to improving the online experience. Team-Up in hoops is better to me than team deathmatch in halo, cod, etc. because i'm a huge sports fan and hoops is the one sport where teaming up can actually work but not if it's done only halfway by the developer. Last year it was so close but so frustrating because my friends and I could never get in to a game together or if we did our opponents all quit immediately because their friends didn't get in, etc. I was soooo sure this was the year it was going to be smooth and a blast!!! not the case. sadly it's just as frustrating. i still give this game an 8 but it's a low 8 because I had expecations of this being a perfect 10. Expand
  10. Oct 12, 2011
    Horrible, and I love 2K11. Sold this within a week. Glitches galore and removed My Crew (ironically because of glitches that "ruined" the mode). Glitches didn't stop them from removing most of the other modes.
  11. Nov 20, 2011
    Being a die-hard nba 2k fan (i own and have played every 2k since 2k3) I have to say for the all GREAT and amazing strides 2k11 made last year (on top of finally killing off the terrible nba live series) this game took the madden approach this year in my opinion but the one thing that I know has hurt the way the game plays this year is the lack of an NBA season and no living roster updates because those are basically the glitch patches that games like WoW see. The most surprising as well as upsetting thing to me this year is the lack of decent player ratings this year. So your telling me that the nba's players as a whole average around below adequate while there are about 4-8 superstars and the second coming of jesus is Lebron James? Its just entirely not fair to anyone that plays against the heat just about, lebron is unstoppable and faster than Rajon Rondo with an unstoppable midrange jumper. The worst thing about the game this year is all it takes is one of the NBA's super elite allstars and your set you don't even need 4 other people on the floor because they will dunk, and shoot over 5 guys whenever you want. The 2k series in my opinion needs to make a return to strong team-based play and not focusing on one unstoppable all-star (i put up 59 points with lebron in a half with 8 minute quarters and 40+ with KD in a half as well). Its impossible to go to the basket with anyone under 6"7 because just about everything gets blocked now its as if nba players don't know what a high arching layup is or a teardrop even some of the most elusive drivers in the nba today (tony parker, rajon rondo among others) cant get to the basket for nothing and pumpfaking before going up with those guys is a deathwish as well under the basket. The pure midrange scorers are also irrelevant now as well (paul pierce, kobe bryant) because getting to the basket after a good pumpfake or their trademark turnarounds aren't a quarter as effective as they really are. Also the last issue I have with the game is the TERRIBLE teammate A.I. it feels like im playing 5th grade basketball all they do is stand there and stare and sometimes cut and the passing is at a 5th grade level as well at times while the A.I. just ballhawks more than ever like its psychic, players throw the ball directly into teammates and opponents backs or they make a terrible chest pass when a bounce pass or a wrap around pass is a much better choice. I thought these were NBA players not 5th and 6th graders playing aau for the first time. But the game also made some positive stride like the redesign of the shotstick is so intuitive now but its all for one on one scoring and even though thats what the nba is all about now the games physics just aren't at a level where it can accurately mimic the speed and precision of the real players yet and when you attempt to fall back on good ball rotation and shot selection its impossible to get an open shot because no one moves and there arent even any off ball screens unless you call a play and the lane just clutters when you go to the basket and if your not lebron or KD or josh smith or anyone else with like a 99 dunk and 99 layup and 99 shoot in traffic your going to get your shot blocked or thrown at the bottom of the rim more times than your even going to get a decent attempt at the rim (not even a make). Its still a very solid title and the lack of an nba season this year hurts the balancing of teams and players but there still is no reason the game should have taken some of the slides backwards it did this year. And 2k has to realize that nba teams, college teams, highschool teams, and AAU teams dont just run set plays everytime down the floor they run offenses with certain rotation schemes, with about 5-8 set plays and a couple a quick hitters for coming down the floor when 2k realizes this and stops feeding into how the average fan sees basketball and starts to really model the game after the way it is really played at the top competetive level thats when we will see a perfect basketball simulation until then I always hold hope for next year. Expand
  12. Oct 7, 2011
    Brilliant,yeah there is online problems but that is what really shows how amazing this game is.The single player alone is nothing less then perfection.NBA 2k11 was a genius game but it had flaws especially the passing and how AI players acted like they were psychic.It was still entering boundaries of the best video sports game ever and one of the best games ever.Well NBA 2K12 is all that it was multiplied by one hundred.I really cannot believe my eyes when I play this game.Can you imagine if the online was working 100% and there was no lockout in anyone's mind.Graphics,presentation,game play,sound,replay value,depth.This I can tell you,2K has made 2 of the finest sports games on the planet and I cant give enough praises for this game.10 10 10 Expand
  13. Oct 9, 2011
    This game is great. First off, I want to say that this is the best NBA 2K game yet. All that you loved from last years masterpiece 2K11 is now enhanced in this. I'll keep my review short.
    Presentation/Graphics
    The presentation is awesome. The intros are a neat touch and give that TV feel. You won't get the same intro all the time. Different lineup screens also are nice. The graphics are
    also good. In my opinion the faces are good. Not all are accurate but it is a step up from last year. Kobe Bryant doesn't look like an alien anymore and Andrew Bynum looks like...Andrew Bynum. There are some faces here and there but the all look better than 2K11's faces. The lighting in the game is a step up also. No complaints in the department. Oh and the animations are nice!(Also, the presentation shines the most in the playoffs and The NBA's Greatest Mode)
    Sound
    This year 2K added Steve Kerr in the commentary team so now we have 3 people commentating. This is actually a welcome addition. It all sounds natural and they have Steve Kerr incorporated well. By far one of the best commentating in a game. The soundtrack is good. I personally like it and I didn't really turn off any songs, but that's all just in personal taste of music. Gameplay
    This year the controls have been a little modified. No longer do you have a dedicated hopstep button. You now hold the LT (or L2 for PS3) and move the right stick in a direction to do escape shots. I found myself using these more than I expected. I can't really give my insight of the post game since I never really touched it last year, but here's some of what I experienced so far. Post up is now mapped to the Y button(or the Triangle button on PS3). I thought this was going to be problematic but it really isn't. Post moves seem to be easier. It's all on the right stick combined with the left trigger. It really does feel better. I'll head on to training camp to learn some more of the post moves. The opposing AI isn't really cheap. They actually beat you by playing smart basketball. They will find that extra man open or attack an open lane. I found myself in close games even on pro difficulty. You're teammate AI is not stupid either. They are better too.
    Lasting appeal:
    The has got me addicted just like 2K11 did. The revamped My Player mode will have you playing for a long time. Much more improved. Greatest mode will have you occupied for a while and especially for you nostalgia fans. This will be in my console for a long time. (Lets hope this lockout ends so we can have the rookies!)
  14. Nov 9, 2011
    This game gets everything right, other than online multiplayer. That part of it is sloppy, laggy, unintuitive, and just generally needs work.

Also, in my player mode your character will talk as if he is African American, no matter what.
  15. EJA
    Jul 29, 2013
    This game is really good for a couple reasons: 1) the character animations are fantastic and so is the presentation of the game 2) Teams play differently and you can recognize it 3) Playing games throughout history and learning from it is lots of fun 4) Players have unique skill sets and playing in the post is entertaining. This game also has some real issues to work out: 1) Momentum in the game is really overpowering. If your opponent has hit a few shots in a row you will NOT make an open jumper, lay-up, etc. If your quarter starts and your down 8-0 its gonna get worse.

2) Players generally miss open shots if you shoot too early in the shot clock; your punished for uptempo style

3) In Association mode, computer GM's make awful trades and sign free agents that make little sense. Teams will overstack with 3 starting point guards and pay not attention to their power forward. One team in particular had Kyrie Irving, drafted a top 5 point guard, and then signed Chris Paul in free agency.... Needless to say after a few years the league gets pretty whacky.

4) Drafting is a crapshoot. Unless you have a top 3 pick dont even bother. The system is shallow in that an overhyped prospect doesn't bust and you never find diamonds in the rough in later rounds. You also have no sense of your prospects game so the first couple years is a trial and error of shots, drives, and fails.

The Graphics, Presentation, and general gameplay alone makes this game a 9.5
    The flawed Association mode and now dead Online mode makes this game a 5

I'll go 7 in the middle.
  16. Feb 7, 2012
    Best NBA game ever made for you basketball SIMULATION style players, and still great for casual gamers as well. The graphics are truly adjusted from 2k11, the players look more realistic (facial textures especially), as well as the physics engine and collision detection markedly being improved to a point where the game sometimes flows like a real NBA game. On my 27" 120hz 1080p LCD-TV on broadcast camera the game almost looks photorealistic next to a live NBA game on a 50'' TV. The gameplay is quite improved. No more cheesing non-stop; you have to actually play smart basketball rather than isolate, crossover, spin and dunk at the rim. They've really adjusted the passing in the game, much needed from 2k11's "passes and alley-oops are 99% successful", and while it's tough to begin (post passing is tough) it makes for a much more realistic experience. Good passers like Kidd or Nash still dish it out like stars, but no longer does a mediocre forward never throw it away. It's a great change that almost requires you to slow the pace down of the game.

My Player has been improved with more goals, better interviews, a better draft process (1 game, interviews from teams and draft). Start rated around a 60 (2k11 you were a 40... bench players in NBA2k'any-year are always 50-60 ratings, so it makes sense. Player attributes as well as tendencies, and earn your paycheck to pay for a camp or team dinner or buy a dunk package of a certain player. Also "Play Next Key Game" is a great addition that helps it flow better. With the added "Hall of Fame" progress, there are goals to play more than a year or two and My Player has been improved drastically.

The old rosters are great as well. There are 15 Classic challenges ranging from Wilt's Lakers and Pistol Pete's rookie season Hawks to the 01-02 Kings (Webber, Peja) with tons of teams in between (like 5 Bulls teams; 96-97 Lakers w/young Kobe), classic 90's Blazers, Magic w/PennyShaq, Utah, Houston, and so on. Of each 15 classics, a star player is the logo, with explanation; ex: John Stockton leads the 97-98 Jazz playoff game over the Lakers. Each time you can win one of these challenges you unlock the teams (team played as and against). I love this, as I've gotten all the teams, 30 (but multiple Bulls), so I created an Association with 20 classic teams and the best 10 teams in the NBA currently (with some stars added to 10 teams in league). Great fun!

So many game modes, even Practice is great, as well as "Training Camp" which shows off the new controls and amazing POST MOVES. They have revamped it to where defense is key, but having an inside post-game is key as well, giving you individual and unique moves in the post, with a large array. The game is played flawlessly when played correctly.

Online versus games are solid and not bad in terms of lag. Players are ok, some are cheesers (harder to cheese now though, I beat most with charges and slowing it up), but overall solid versus. But after that I don't understand what 2k was thinking. 2k11's best mode was CREWS, being able to add friends to a team/crew you created and playing others in ranked games 5 on 5. They've completely taken out crewmode, which allowed you to use your My Player you have created over time... which seems the whole point. Hell, can't even use your Player online AT ALL, not even a pickup game.

As for the pickup games online, they are mediocre at best. The lag is quite bad, the matchmaking is weak, the amount of disconnects is huge, and you can't use your my player. Get some friends together and start a team up and hope you're put on the same team is your best bet.... stats kept are quite bad because of the servers.

2k please FIX your servers for next year and add crews. This game is nearly flawless but as an offline game.

Deserves a 10/10 but the online matchmaking is weak and there are NO CREWS and My Player is improved, yet you can never use him online in a game with others.
  17. Nov 5, 2011
    The NBA 2k series has come a long way since the first but lately it has been lacking something new. Right off the bat looking at the visuals I wasn't impressed they looked exactly like those of 2k11 nothing new there. Going on to the My Player experience it has improved even more than the previous two versions which is what was expected but I have to say it exceed my expectations. Now for the basketball experience the game excels like it should but some things are still missing. After playing it I notice that 2k games goes with a premium and standard lay out (like how Polyphony did with their cars in Gran Turismo) for player although they don't say it you can notice it and what I mean by it is the difference between the star in the NBA and the players who aren't stars. When you are using some like Kobe Bryant or Dirk Nowitski every thing is correct for these players such as their jumpers and their signature layups ext. But when using a non superstar 2k games has a number of generic moves and will give a player the one that looks the closest to theirs which takes away from the realism. But overall it is still a great game but I only wish some other things where added to the game such as having the correct voices for the PA announcers for the correct court and having a variety of commentators like Reggie Miller or Jeff Van Gundy. So I'm giving it an 8.5 its a great game but some bigger improvements can be made to it. Expand
  18. Oct 25, 2011
    Most definitely the best sports game I have ever played. The ONE, single problem is the lack of quality 2K servers. Game-after-game their servers have underperformed. Anyways, I recommend this to anyone who plays sports video games.
  19. Oct 28, 2011
    reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ****
  20. Nov 9, 2011
    This game made my life change (I'm being sarcastic). The game has the best graphics I have ever seen on a basketball game. The graphics are extremely accurate and the gameplay feels amazing. Enough said. Go get this game NOW!!!
  21. Nov 10, 2011
    This game sets the standard for all other sports titles. I only wish this exact development team could make a football title. They know how to bring TV to sports games.
  22. Nov 10, 2011
    this is the best basketball game i have ever played. the myplayer mode is alot of fun and the number of historic teams and players means hours of fun.
  23. Nov 13, 2011
    The lockout does not hold this title back. 2K improved on their NBA franchise in every way this year, from details like getting every player's tattoos true to life, to the big picture like post-move mechanics, overall presentation, and general smoothness of play, nothing, and I mean NOTHING is worse than 2K11. Given that NBA 2K11 was the greatest sports game ever created during its reign, there's no reason to deny this iteration the mantle. Expand
  24. Nov 16, 2011
    Thd best sports game i have ever played! I am not even that big a fan of basketball, I bought mostly because of the legend teams. This game is nothing short of amazing. Bfrom the graphics, to the calling of the game.....nothing else comes close.
  25. Nov 21, 2011
    Just amazing. 2K Sports did it again delivering an NBA game in for the long haul. The new interface is easier to move around and the new character design is great. The new physics for the game took a while for me to get used to but it delivered an even playing field for all teams. Being able to play as all the greatest players who has set foot on a basketball court made me rethink about MJ being the best Basketball player of all time. Plus the old TV effects are perfect. Not distracting but still feels like your playing a game in the 1960's. This game is worth a buy for all NBA fans but i discourage buying it now since the NBA is in lockout and there are no roster updates etc. But hell, its still great and i think its worth every penny. Expand
  26. Nov 21, 2011
    To say this game does everything right would be an understatement. It improves on NBA2K 11 in every single way. Best basketball game of all time. Until next year.
  27. Mar 1, 2012
    I play the NBA 2K series every year, I usually love the new games right away but I had a harder time falling in love with this game. That could be due to the lockout and not having the updated rosters, but even after all that was settled, it still took me a while. I guess I was used to certain things that made the game a bit easier to play. The fact that there was a button to use the hopstep made things easier for me, as well as having the pick and roll in the playbook also made the game easier. They certainly made the AI (not Allen Iverson) a lot smarter, much better on the defensive end. The games biggest flaw is having players hit open shots 100% of the time. It doesn't make sense, if you watch NBA games, you clearly see that because the player is wide open, doesn't mean he is going to knock down the shot all the time. Another thing I didn't like was player tendencies. For example, Tyson Chandler doesn't take jump shots. He's a low post guy. Why is it that i've seen him take more jump shots than down low hooks and lay ups? On the positive side, My Player mode is tremendous, I love what they've done with it, as well as the Creating a Legend mode. Both of those modes alone will consume a lot of time and are extremely worth it. Also, I love the NBAs greatest mode, being able to play as the legends and have it look like you're watching them from back in the day is awesome. I wish other sports games would take after NBA 2K12 in that sense. Expand
  28. Dec 6, 2011
    this is a good game. they just need to fix the in player mode. it freezes way to much! also thought that they would fix the lag issue online. same graphics as 2k11, which were pretty good. just dont like the freezing issues. not worth 60 bucks right now but if they fixed those issues it would definitely be worth the money
  29. Apr 6, 2012
    This game is horrible when playing with friends. It trys to be more realistic, but it ends up setting up instances that make no sense. People glitch to the basket. Baskets are made but not counted. The home team somehow always has an advantage. This game is 20x more frustrating at just not as fun as the last.
  30. Dec 20, 2011
    Awesome, But really doesn't do much more than 2k11, I realize this a sports game so that comes with the territory, I personally hardly notice a difference from 11 to 12. I don't think its worthy of all the praise heaped upon it. Multiplayer is Lagged out to the Max also, which should have been fixed from last year. If you like Ball, you will enjoy this, especially if you haven't played a basketball game in years. It is the NBA Live Killer after all. Expand
  31. Feb 14, 2012
    Beside fifa, 2k12 is leading the way for sports games. The thing I like most about nba 2k12 is that it takes a lot of practice to actually get decent. So in the end you really do know who is better at the game and who needs practice.
  32. Mar 22, 2012
    This game is fun if your not playing against the AI because thats when it falls apart,the opposing team makes damn near every shot and you dont. But when your playing against a real person its really fun and hard to put down because its more even.
  33. Mar 26, 2012
    I bought this game for PC and have played the Xbox360 version, both platforms played pretty much the same, HORRIBLE. To state that NBA 2k11 was a little better is an understatement. This game has so many flaws compared to their '11 predecessor I don't know where to begin. I mainly play My Player, beginning with that I'll say that stats mean absolutely nothing, Speed, Shooting stats, feels like my guy is running on ice on the court. And shot selection? I've taken wide open mid-range and 3pt shots with A to A+ and have consistently missed, throughout an entire game, for multiple games, and I have 99 consistency!!! I'll just wrap this up by stating that I bought this on Steam for $14.99US, and I think I paid too much, get NBA 2k11 if you are on the fence on this one. Most of the reviews online, with the exception of Youtube, seem extremely contrived or made up. Blaming the lockout for poor sales due to improper roster build or lack of rookies doesn't make up for extremely poor execution of gameplay and piss poor mechanics. You've been warned... Expand
  34. May 13, 2012
    This game is really good if you like sports and if you don't. The graphics need a little work though. And the price is a little high. You should really get this game. I don't care how.
  35. May 2, 2012
    Outstanding job by 2k, great updated graphics, new 2k share is awesome, great menu, great gameplay, great commentary, and all of the above. One of the best sports games ive ever played.
  36. Sep 17, 2012
    The best sports game out there. Its better than Madden and I really don't know if its better than FIFA but NBA 2K12 improves on everything 2K11 does and does it even better. 2K is now the king of basketball games.
  37. Jun 6, 2013
    Do you enjoy constantly missing layups? How about watching the league's best sharpshooters go completely cold and lose the ability to hit wide open three point shots? Would you like to see your defensive efforts end up all for naught as the computer makes all sorts of contested shots and layups at will? Then this is the game for you!

Let's start off with something positive, shall we?
    2k12 has great gameplay flow. The normal ups and downs in real NBA basketball games take place in every game you play; no team stays hot forever. From here, though, everything goes downhill.

First off, we might as well start with the most annoying flaw in NBA 2k12: missing layups. In my association mode, Roy Hibbert consistently bricks layups and gets blocked by point guards, for example, Monta Ellis. I don't care how passive he is in real life, he's 7'2". If it's difficult to make a layup with someone that tall, you can only imagine the frustration trying to make layups with your point guard. While the cpu easily runs past anyone you have defending the paint to make a flawless, uncontested layup (regardless of your generous use of the Y button), you have to deal with getting hacked, not going to the free throw line, and missing layups.

Secondly, the large stretches in the game where you suddenly find your best shooters forgot how to shoot the basketball. While every team gets cold now and then, it can get quite ridiculous in 2k. I really don't know who has fun when their collective team of sharpshooters(for me, Jrue Holiday, Nicolas Batum, James harden, Josh Smith) seemingly lose any shooting skill they ever had.

Thirdly, the player A.I. I think we can all agree that your team's player A.I. in 2k11 was completely stupid. While it is slightly better in 2k12, you will realize very quickly how much smarter the cpu players play than your own. For instance, when playing against a team that, say, has Dirk Nowitzki and Andrea Bargnani in the game(Yes, this is from my own experience once again). These are two big men you do not find in the paint very often. Yet, if you try to slash your way to the basket, or box out on the cpu's miss, you'll find these guys run to the paint quicker than Usain Bolt. In comparison, you will find that your boneheaded big men will follow players such as Jason Maxiell all the way out to the 3-point line and stand there without any thought as to who may be slashing into the paint. They do not find their way back there on misses, either, as you find your guards fighting for the rebounds with the other team's bigs quite often(Jrue Holiday and James Harden lead me team in rebounds many times that I play. Should I reiterate that Roy Hibbert is 7'2"?).

Even with all the moments I find to be furious at this freaking game, though, I still find myself addicted to it. Because, when at its best or, to put more truthfully, when the cpu decides to give you an illusion of fair play I do find myself enjoying the game. To keep a game close based on both teams making legitimate shots, and not on one team making any contested shot they want while you have to work the ball around to find someone wide open every time, is fun. To have your team on a roll and firing on all cylinders is very rewarding. To create your own super team and make them a powerful franchise brings a feeling you can't find with any other game.

So, if you love basketball like me, and can't contain yourself, welcome to Clank City. If you know what's good for you, then you should probably play something that is actually fun. Chao!
  38. Mar 4, 2013
    Great and awesome game with wonderful features. My favorite one is the updates on trades and actual games in the season. A usual good game part of the 2k series.
  39. Rem
    Jul 10, 2013
    Nba 2k12 manages to prove that not only it can improve upon its predecessor, but it shows that this is the best version of basketball simulation to date. The presentation is improved significantly from 2k11, as I would sometimes mistake it for a real game on Tuesday night. The players animate better, and I found the controls easier to come into wit the new shot stick mechanic. What I remember most though, it the new My Player mode, which easily trumps 2k11's version. All in all, 2k12 proves that anyone can enjoy basketball. (probably not) Expand
  40. Dec 5, 2013
    It is overall a good game, I just feel NBA 2k12 is missing something and just is not as good as NBA 2k11. There are some improvements as compared to the previous installment but I just did not enjoy this as much as 2k11. That aside though, 2k12 is still a great game

1. Jan 31, 2012
    NBA 2K12 is definitely a game any basketball fan should own and a game that will keep you occupied until 2K13 is released at a minimum. If I had more online friends who played the game I know I would have enjoyed the online experience more than I did, so it's definitely a game you should check out if you know a few friends who would also play. Casual sports gamers should at least rent this game and see if it tickles your fancy. Swoosh!
  2. Nov 20, 2011
    Slightly rocky in-game mechanics just stop this from slamdunking the competition. [Christmas 2011, p.65]
  3. Nov 15, 2011