4.6

1. Jul 19, 2013
    Clunky, shallow, repetetive combat, blatant enviroment design and obsolete graphics overall reminds us why Movie tie-ins are so bad. It is a shame that the dev, Yuke's, has a fairly good portofolio of highly praised fighting games. The only props I can give this game is that no one has made something similar so far. All and all, where the movie succeeds, Pacific Rim does not. I can only see clueless parents picking this up. Expand
  2. Aug 14, 2013
    Once again... another MOVIE TIE IN GAME! The game does fair better than the lazy IOS version and it actually has better graphics. The gameplay can be clunky and the A.I is either too cheap or too easy. Think of it like this...... it is a copy and paste mash up of Real Steel the video game. It is fun but it has it's problems. Another movie licensed game with average reviews. And to think.... that I was really excited for this game! Why is it that the movie is amazing but the game is either average or lazy. This cycle of movie licensed games...NEED TO STOP!!! A 6-7/10... just like Real Steel. It is fun to play though. THE ONLY THING THAT KILLS THIS GAME... IS THE DLC and LAZY SINGLE PLAYER MODE! Expand
  3. Jul 27, 2013
    Pros: Faithful to the movie Cons: Slow controls, clunky movement, repetitive fighting, frustrating beyond belief. There is such wasted potential here. A game which could have been so great and yet falls by the wayside in so many ways. Where to start. Well my first thoughts upon seeing the game was "brilliant, this could be a great game like the classic Godzilla games I enjoyed on the PS2." I missed the chance to play the newer ones due to my leap to next gen and my dislike of the Wii versions controls.

Once the game loaded up the character selection was faithful to the movie, the Jaegars look a lot like their movie counterparts and, to be fair, the attacks and weaponry mirror the movie too. Aesthetics aren't everything though.

In the first battle it became clear how clunky the controls were. Attacks were sluggish beyond all good reason and yes I know they're meant to be giant monsters and robots but even the Godzilla games on the PS2 and Gamecube could get it right. This makes no effort to tell you how to string together combos and the fights will often boil down to hitting the one hit button until your opponent goes down or time expires.

They made an attempt at a fighting game but without fluent controls and a more fluid action for the fighters it just doesn't hold up.

The customization is great yeah but that and its faithfulness to the movies aesthetics are about the only redeeming factors.
  4. Jan 3, 2014
    Pacific Rim for Xbox 360... ugh such a rushed mess to cash-in into the movie release and it is so, so bad. First of, the game isn't fun. Second of, most of the characters are unlocked and you need to buy them. With real life money. No, Yuke. I'm not going to waste my precious money on one single character. Yuke, next time you make a game, try putting effort on it.

1. Dec 10, 2013
    Even with the slightest of appeal for its online play, overall tepid gameplay and graphics combine to once again prove the all-too-often bad movie-based videogame cliché and sink Pacific Rim to the ocean's depths.
    And there's no sign of GLaDOS either. Boo! [Sept 2013, p.93]
  3. Jul 31, 2013
    Hooray for the digital download! Normally these kinds of movie games would be only available in store shelves, full priced. If you've bought it accidentally now, you'll only have lost ten Euros. That's pretty much all the positive sentiment we have to share on Pacific Rim: The Video Game. It's so boring and slow, we couldn't even recommend it for free.