Poker Smash Xbox 360

8.5

1. Sean
    Feb 7, 2008
    First off, don't listen to the 'Eurogamer' review. Second, this game is easily one of the most addictive XBLA games I've played. But, then again I am a fan of the puzzle genre. The premise is simple: Colored card tiles start at bottom and move to top. You need to make poker hands with the before they reach the top or it's game over. Of course, like any puzzle game,First off, don't listen to the 'Eurogamer' review. Second, this game is easily one of the most addictive XBLA games I've played. But, then again I am a fan of the puzzle genre. The premise is simple: Colored card tiles start at bottom and move to top. You need to make poker hands with the before they reach the top or it's game over. Of course, like any puzzle game, each level gets faster and faster, but they do give you a "slow mo" meter that you can use if you're in trouble. And bombs, which can be placed on any one card to eliminate it. More bombs are earned by filling up a "combo meter".
    That's really the basis of the game. There are other game modes such as 'Puzzle' (in which you have to solve puzzles to eliminate all the cards on the board), timed mode, and multiplayer. The Trial Game gives you a good idea of what you're getting, so give it a try. I'm definitely putting this one up there with Lumines and Hexic HD.
  2. HarveyWallbanger
    May 5, 2008
    Poker Smash is fun to play until you watch the top 100 videos posted by the best players in the world, and you realize how pathetic your own skills are. The scoring system is entirely biased towards creating long chains, which is more easily done with simple "match 3's". Spending time developing skill at creating higher value hands is totally worthless compared to chaining a longPoker Smash is fun to play until you watch the top 100 videos posted by the best players in the world, and you realize how pathetic your own skills are. The scoring system is entirely biased towards creating long chains, which is more easily done with simple "match 3's". Spending time developing skill at creating higher value hands is totally worthless compared to chaining a long string of 3-of-a-kinds together. Expand
  3. Odog4ever
    Feb 19, 2008
    I didn't know how to play poker before trying the demo but now I'm hooked! This game is polished, nice clean graphics, decent music. The multiplayer is really fun although I don't like how they handle it when you lose. (You just sit there will the remaining players continue to play instead of being guided back to the lobby)
  4. Mar 22, 2012
    Poker Smash is really interesting, is very addictive, because the gameplay is awesome, this mash up with the poker and the puzzles is amazing. The controls, graphics, music are amazing, this title is a jewel, amazing game.

1. Unless you absolutely loathe poker or puzzlers, buy this game. [Feb 2008, p.75]
  2. Every once in a while, a game comes along that really stands out in its genre, and Poker Smash is one of those games. By taking a generic formula and giving it a Vegas-like spin, Void Star Creations has put together a truly unique and entertaining experience that earns it a spot right next to the big boys in the puzzle genre.
  3. Poker Smash doesn't really work. Borrowing familiar poker hands is a nice idea on paper, but the need to include colours, winking icons and bombs ought to have been clue enough to leave it there alongside the spider-web doodles.