8.5

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is the best one in its genre, yes you don't kill anyone but thinking with portals makes up for that. Aboslutely Brilliant. Thanks Valve! 10/10
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    Immediately I have to state the flaws of the Xbox 360 version of Portal 2. It lacks few multi player capabilities like cross compatibility which is featured on the PS3 and PC versions, the graphics aren't nearly as good it's PC counterpart or PS3 one at that. But despite these flaws the game prospers by including more than bearably multi player and a story more robust than any ever in the Puzzle genre. Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Incredibly funny and smart game, really doesn't deserve to be punished for Valve's bad handling of the ARG. The story, while different from Portal 1, is simply one of the best of the current games. Must buy.
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Funny as hell, pissing off people with optional DLC, great cinematic gameplay, cool and challenging puzzles, coop is fun, great ending, the song was good, loads of easter eggs.

Great job Valve, most fun I've had in a video game in a looooooooong time.
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    Although the game is rather short, it is just amazing. The plot is immersive enough that once you sit and start play, you don't want to stop. The graphics are fine - even though the Source Engine is quite old right now, it's still amazing what it can do in regard of physics and graphics. 10/10.
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    As stated by others, the game is too short (4 hours), too easy and the graphics are dated. Not worth the full price. Fanboys are already skewing the score as you can see by the reviews. Even people who admit the game is too short and the graphics are dated still rate it 10/10, proving they are trying to inflate the score. Why give a perfect score if there are obviously flaws which you yourself have stated? Valve employees and hired agents are also inflating the score as they use the same phrases Valve uses in advertising the game. Expand
  7. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 has it all. A worthy sequel to the original. The single player focus on story, the co-op on funny. The best part is the outstanding challenge. Early puzzles are easy, and most can done quite quickly. But later on in the game, puzzles get so intense. The liquid that makes things bounce and slick are a great bonus. It exceeded my expectations in every way.
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    This is going to be a big candidate for game of the year so do not be stupid you kids it is not funny to give score 0 it is not funny becouse it is not your thing so stop it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    Another masterpiece from Valve. Portal 2 improves everything on the original, with better characters, better history and a long and quite varied campaign. I can't think in anything wrong but the graphics, that are a little outdated with the Source Engine. The game of the year so far.
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    The game play is smooth and the humor is amazing. I was smiling throughout the whole play-through.
    Highly recommend this to anyone. I have yet to try the co-op feature, I bet it will be amazing considering all the hype Valve has been putting on it.
  11. Apr 19, 2011
    none of the negatives actually played it, the campaign is upwards of 8 hours and is entertaining and enjoyable to boot, the physics work perfectly and the comedy is unmistakably valve. This is actually probably their best game. Source has aged well and the voice acting is spectacular. Everything in this game is excellent and should be enjoyed. Just wish Microsoft had allowed valve to use their cross compatibility with steam. That is my only complaint. Expand
  12. Apr 21, 2011
    Funny, brilliant, exciting, nostalgic and yet still fresh; this game is full of win! Single player is challenging yet fun and able to make you let out a laugh every so often, the graphics are great on PC and the level design really makes you think just what went on, and for how long. Co-op? Same as single player but twice as fun, more laughs and lots of necessary team-work. I will highly recommend this game to all my buddies - I can't get enough of it; stayed up all night. Expand
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    After playing the Xbox 360 version from start to finish I can honestly say that Valve have done a great job. The graphics of the Xbox 360 looked sharp, the sound was incredible and the game played very well using the 360 gamepad. The game itself was a really good experience. It entertained me for about 12 hours and that's with being stuck on a few parts for a bit longer than I would have wanted. In the end I always ended up finding the solution to the puzzle. You feel really smart when you do sometimes.

So what could have been done to improve this amazing game? Well the Anti-alaising could have been increased a bit more but that's almost always the case on our current consoles. There could also have been less loading times. It doesn't get that annoying unless you die a lot though.

Good version of a great game.
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    Aboslutely Brilliant. Thanks Valve! 10/10
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    Graphics were awesome, especially lightning. It has an awesome story that will definitely make you laugh and the upgraded gameplay from Portal 1 is just the icing on the cake.
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game! Played it and loved it on PC... People giveing it low marks are evil internet trolls who havent even played the game. Amazing voice acting!
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is superior to the original Portal. That's a rare thing. Writing, design, and gameplay are all top-notch. I could whine about day 1 dlc if I was superdramatic and spoiled, but I am not. This game is fantastic.
  18. Apr 20, 2011
    This is one of the best games of the year, has game of the year written all over it. Both the single and co-op, each easily reaching over 6 hours of game play, single player a bit more. Part of playing portal is to beat the game in a fast run through and the run through is full of Aperture lore and a genius story. Another plus side of this game is that it makes your cognitive learning improve through amazing problem solving puzzles with no violence and still maintains a level of excitement and fun through out the game. Highly suggest for gamers who loved portal 1 and people who love puzzle games. Expand
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    If you liked the first I have no doubt that you'll like this one too. Expect about 8 to 12 hours of gameplay. The yahoo down there who said 4.5 hours must think this is the page for the original. This isn't a game you play for top-notch graphics, so if your opinion of a game is based solely on that you'll undoubtedly come away disappointed. It's funny and just challenging enough to be well worth your money. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    A great continuation of the portal story. It's sad to see users such as "Valvesucks" needlessly bring down the user score when they obviously haven't tried the game.
  21. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a relatively short single player excursion, though I can't figure a way they could have extended it without ruining the fantastic story. I think the possibility of DLC for this game as Valve is famous for added content will make it a long lived adventure much like Team Fortress is. The coop has some amazing features which take it to the next level such as picture in picture and a fantastic waypoint system which makes it much easier to work with friends to complete missions. If you're not a people person, and can't stand short stories (even with great replayability) then this game might not be for you. The ways in which Valve continues to push the Source engine is amazing. Graphics are surprisingly good on an aging engine. Simply compare Counter Strike: Source running at full with Portal 2 running at full and the difference is apparent.

On the whole a wonderful experience I will probably never forget.
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't listen to the trolls. The single player is 8 hours long for a skilled portal veteran. There are several new gameplay elements, most of which take effect around hour 2 or 3. The first few levels are the same or similar to Portal 1 but serve to ease you back into the gameplay and tour the broken down facility. All the characters are incredibly voiced and even have a bit of development during the course of the story. This is not a console port, the game is beautiful with NO bugs, glitches, or broken sections (well not broken from a gameplay stance). The DLC is just skins to amuse yourself in co-op and dont really add to the game or take away from it. YOU WILL NOT miss anything if you avoid the DLC. Best game of the year and the decade. At least untill Half Life 3 comes out. Expand
  23. Apr 30, 2011
    Portal 2 is nearly a perfect sequel to an already awesome game. Some people say the campaign is too short. I disagree. If you don't rush through it like some maniac you get plenty of campaign. Plus there is the co-op campaign which ads even more. Oh and the story is fantastic.
    How are the puzzles? I found the puzzles to be great. Portal 2 adds a lot of new content to make the puzzles
    more interesting. And of course many people are like "omg it was way to easy i finished it in like 4 hours". Yeah let them brag how smart they are (or not), fact is that the puzzles are interesting, challenging and varied.
    All together Portal 2 is a must buy and a Game of the Year candidate.
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    Don't listen to all the naysayers giving this game a bad review. Pretty much all the reviews have no idea what is going on in the game, or even the price value for it. Portal 2 is VALVe's best game to date, including an amazing single player story and engaging Co-op test chambers for you and your friends. I personally can beat Portal 1 in less then 2 hours, and Portal 2 took me more then 7. With so much to see and so much going on you just cant help but "stop and smell the test chambers." The campaign starts fast and never loses momentum as it catapults you into and out of the bowels of Aperture Labs. The finale to Portal 2 is beyond anything I expected and really sets the game apart from VALVe's more serious Half-Life franchise. Co-op doesn't have a story exactly, but you can spend hours solving test chambers with friends and family while "accidentally" sending them into pits of goo and spikes. The game is a great addition to the Portal franchise and the only problem I find is the problem on XBOX with not having system cross compatibility, it still is a great game, and you need to play this. Expand
  25. Apr 19, 2011
    This game completely blows its predecessor out of the water. It brings brand new elements, while keeping the classic game flow that we have all fallen in love with. The multiplayer is top class, leading to a great replay value. If you haven't already, go buy it now. There is a reason it has toped the metacritic charts in all the categories.
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    Amazing just like the first one, The fact that you actually have to use your brain alittle to advance through the story makes it a much better game then a run and gun game like CoD. Brilliant!
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    Follow me on twitter@thetruthbites for liveE3 2011 v.I.p tweets.Portal 2 is absolutely fantastic. Co-op is great and the single player adds new welcome elements. Although the game does not seem as difficult as the first, it still provides enough challenge to keep your mind working overtime. The story and humor is also something worth mentioning. Don't want to ruin the game for anyone so I won't go in any story details, but let me just say that it rocks. This is a must for anyone that enjoyed the first, loves puzzle games, like using their brain, wants a new kind of co-op game ( also contains splitscreen mode ), of for anyone that just plain likes having fun. Expand
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    I'll state this up front: Portal 2 is a paragon of game design. Everything about this game shows how Valve mastered the data they collected of their audience over the years through Steam and their other games. Portal 2 is filled with great gameplay, satisfying puzzles and some of the best writing you've ever seen in a video game. The character performances are spot on. It's a must buy for every gamer, young and old.

A lot of people seem to be concerned about the added store for the co-op bots, which I think is unfounded. All of the items are purely cosmetic and is hardly content they cut out of the game just to put a price tag on it. It can be easily ignored. The reason it's in the game is because it has apparently been a success in Team Fortress 2, so I don't mind Valve earning an extra buck to fund their next projects.

Valve will probably be releasing more free DLC for this game in the future, just like they did with Left4Dead and Team Fortress 2 (a game that's been receiving more than 10 huge free content updates since 2004!). Since the Source SDK is likely to get an update too, the community will get the tools to create maps and puzzles themselves.
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    If you enjoyed the first Portal then you will love this. It is full of the same charm as the first game and at moments is absolutely hilarious. There is more variety to the puzzles, but they still have that Portal feel to them. Graphically it is a fairly nice looking game and there is certainly much more variety in the graphics than the first game. Overall, everything has a bit more polish to it and the controls even feel a little smoother than the original. If the first Portal wasn't your thing then there's not a whole lot here to change your mind. But as I said, if you enjoyed the first game I don't know how you couldn't absolutely love Portal 2. Expand
  30. Apr 19, 2011
    The backlash against Portal 2 on this site is somewhat mystifying to me. As far as sequels go, it would be inconceivable to hope for a better one than this. Much of the bitterness of others probably stems from the underwhelming conclusion of Valve's alternate reality game leading up to the release and the fact that Portal 2 lacks some of the freshness of Portal 1 (but then again, it's a sequel--what do you really expect?). The brilliance of Portal 1's storytelling came as a surprise to people just expecting an experimental puzzle game; Portal 2, then can only lose points by not having even greater writing/humour/etc. Regardless, Portal 2 improves on the original with a longer and more challenging single-player mode, a co-op mode, several new mechanics, and more Portal humor. It's a great sequel to a great game. If the price seems steep to console users, just wait a while and pick it up later--it's worth your time. Expand

1. Jun 6, 2011
    Portal 2 is a triumph in every sense of the word, a wonderful experience from start to finish and one that you won't soon forget.
  2. May 23, 2011
    Indeed, this is both mathematical and storytelling art-work; it teams a gripping narrative with an inventive gameplay mechanic that makes for an excellent and unforgettable ride.
  3. A huge and stunning sequel, as witty as it is brain-bendingly challenging. [July 2011, p.98]