Prototype 2 Xbox 360

7.0

1. May 31, 2012
    This game boils down to one thing: How much the entertainment value, or "fun factor", really affects how you enjoy a game. If your here for things like story or originality, steer very clear of this title. However if all that matters to you is that you can go in there and beat the crap out of a billion dudes at once, you'll feel right at home here. I personally think the sandbox GTA-styleThis game boils down to one thing: How much the entertainment value, or "fun factor", really affects how you enjoy a game. If your here for things like story or originality, steer very clear of this title. However if all that matters to you is that you can go in there and beat the crap out of a billion dudes at once, you'll feel right at home here. I personally think the sandbox GTA-style games have gotten fairly old at this point and this game really was no different from the many other GTA spinoffs over the years. It was one of the funnest games I've played in awhile though so that really helps it's cause. I don't think that this game is worth a full 60 dollars right now though. I bought it for 30 on amazon the other day and I'd say that would be a fair price for a game like this right now. It will inevitably see another sale price in the coming months so I'd wait on buying this game and going out and purchasing Max Payne 3 if your desperate for an awesome, new game worth it's 60 dollar price tag. This game can wait. Expand
  2. May 9, 2012
    Prototype 2 is essentially a marginally improved version of Prototype, with much of the baggage the original carried. On the plus side, the combat is more fluid and movement across the city is easier. Graphics are somewhat improved (but still felt dated) despite a limited draw distance. The downsides however, are still pretty numerous. The story is woefully underdeveloped, like in thePrototype 2 is essentially a marginally improved version of Prototype, with much of the baggage the original carried. On the plus side, the combat is more fluid and movement across the city is easier. Graphics are somewhat improved (but still felt dated) despite a limited draw distance. The downsides however, are still pretty numerous. The story is woefully underdeveloped, like in the first game. I get it, Blackwatch are bad guys, you don't need to constantly remind me they brutally experiment on civilians. Heller, the protagonist, is unlikable and unnecessary. The world is bland and static, and the NPCs are generally oblivious to your actions - you can drop 500 feet and land amidst a group of soldiers in an explosion of shattered concrete and your alert level barely increases. Missions are repetitive and the camera is awkward. I would probably rate Prototype 2 higher if it were the first game in the series, but I definitely expect more out of a sequel. Expand
  3. Apr 27, 2012
    This game is of the hook just like the first game this one is just perfect I truly love this game and have not found one fault about this game or maybe one because I actually prefer the first game more than the second one. But Prototype 2 is still one of the best games I have played this year but it is not so good to get a 10
  4. Mar 3, 2014
    Even though it's not the best game it's the COOLEST game!

Pros: Nice graphics. Not the best but certainly better then the first one. Great gameplay, Nice level up system. Missions was fun. Hellar is a good protagonist Last boss fight was challenging. Con: Too easy except for the last battle. Bad story, needed more personality. Too short for an open world game, should've been
    Even though it's not the best game it's the COOLEST game!

Pros:
    Nice graphics. Not the best but certainly better then the first one.
    Great gameplay,
    Nice level up system.
    Missions was fun.
    Hellar is a good protagonist
    Last boss fight was challenging.

Con:
    Too easy except for the last battle.
    Bad story, needed more personality.
    Too short for an open world game, should've been longer then 15 hours.
  5. Oct 14, 2012
    So sad - I loved the first prototype, this one is full of flaws; graphics, gameplay, cinematics and voice acting are all good, but the story is unbelievable trite. The depth and sense of discovery of the original are gone, replaced by a horrible moronic, rude bastard protagonist who has no depth, with inconsistencies bridging the gaps in the story. And that's putting it kindly. TheSo sad - I loved the first prototype, this one is full of flaws; graphics, gameplay, cinematics and voice acting are all good, but the story is unbelievable trite. The depth and sense of discovery of the original are gone, replaced by a horrible moronic, rude bastard protagonist who has no depth, with inconsistencies bridging the gaps in the story. And that's putting it kindly. The gameplay itself is fun but repetitive and where some good writing might have painted over that, some side missions are so thoughtless that the imprints of the facepalms have yet to disappear from my forehead.

I hear Radical was closed down after this game, which is a horrible shame in multiple ways - the original Prototype created a new and compelling experience that many a good sequel might have been built on. On the other hand, it appears that maybe all the writing talent left or artistic priorities were set very differently this round.
  6. Sep 13, 2013
    super dumb fun! can't go wrong picking this game up now for around 20 bucks. fun campaign with a tonne of violence and dumb fun fun powers and cool gameplay
  7. Apr 24, 2012
    Overall I was disappointed with Prototype 2, I thoroughly enjoyed the first and while it had its faults felt it to be a step in the right direction as a darker, gritty version of open world third person sandbox games. While some parts can be enjoyable like ripping the gun off a tank and destroying it with its own weapon or just traversal of the city itself, it just wasnâ
  8. May 27, 2014
    Very, very exaggerated. Too easy, you're the most powerful person in the story, there's no army that can defeat you. I think that the first game can be better. And there is that thing SPOILER: Heller kills Alex in the ending. That's why most people were so disappointed with the game, besides being unsightly.
  9. May 21, 2012
    prototype 2 have a solid gameplay, more then awful story, and no replay value.
    over all, it is really fun to blow up people to wires or fly to a tall building with a random soldier and then let him fly and follow him on he way down.
    but the graphics feels abit outdated and the story is so damn awful that the game overall suck. I played the game twice, one for the first playthrough and one
    prototype 2 have a solid gameplay, more then awful story, and no replay value.
    I played the game twice, one for the first playthrough and one for the achievements that I had left and for the new game+ and I know for a fact that I will not play this game anymore.
  10. Oct 9, 2012
    This game in a lot of ways is very similiar to the original, in ways that you'd expect them to be. Graphics, gameplay, etc, but a few things they changed around that I personally did not care for, at all.

One of the things they changed is that rather then making it a true sandbox game in one huge map, they instead decided to cut the map in 3 different zones, and the only way to go to the other zones is to take a "ferry" across. This kinda ruined it for me, because the maps felt a lot smaller because of it, I didnt get a sandbox feeling this time

Another issue i think is the way you get upgrades this time around. Rather then just getting EP points (Evolution Points) from killing just about anything, and then spending said points on the upgrades you want, in the order you want, you are FORCED to do the same 3 side quests constantly to unlock a limited number of upgrades. Whenever you complete a series you get 1 upgrade point. This again totally ruins the sandbox feel of the game, because there literally is no point in killing random stuff.

The last thing that plagues this game is that the game is very short. You can easily finish it in 1 day, and that includes doing all the optional stuff.

They did improve on a few things, but nowhere near enough features to make up for the fact that they ruined many existing features.

Anyone who claims this is a improvement over the original, did not play either of these games.
  11. May 21, 2012
    I loved the first Prototype, played it for ages. I was stoked for Prototype 2, and honestly, it disappointed me just a little. To me, it didn't seem all that much of an improvement over the first one. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely improved, with many issues fixed, but I expected more. More abilities and powers, more vehicles, more fun and varying missions... All that aside, II loved the first Prototype, played it for ages. I was stoked for Prototype 2, and honestly, it disappointed me just a little. To me, it didn't seem all that much of an improvement over the first one. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely improved, with many issues fixed, but I expected more. More abilities and powers, more vehicles, more fun and varying missions... All that aside, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm no expert when it comes to evaluating stories, but from what I could see, the story didn't seem as terrible as people are making it out to be. It's a little sloppy most of the time, but I really wasn't expecting much in that aspect. Gameplay is pretty much the same as the original, with a few extra things thrown in. It seems a little stale after playing the original so much, but there's still lots of fun to be had. I actually quite enjoyed the melee combat, thought it was quite fresh, although I'll admit it can get annoying sometimes, especially when you're fighting more than one enemy. The main character, Heller, is alright. I'm pretty neutral towards him, not anywhere near a fantastic, well developed character, but I don't hate him. In the end, if you liked the first Prototype, you will like this one. It's got everything the first one did and more, just not enough "more" to draw many more people than the original fans in. I will say that, considering the game's length, renting it is more than enough to enjoy the entirety of the game unless you're a big fan and are sure you'll come back for another round through the campaign in a few months. Expand
  12. Sep 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not sure what I expected when I decided to play Prototype 2, after playing and beating the first Prototype. I really loved the first prototype, it was fun just to decimate everything innocent,, evil or just in your damned way in the first. But in the second it feels like the people are weeds, and serve no other purpose other than to be street filler, while in the previous you would get a lil total of destructive damage you had done in your ultimate rampages. The same go with infected humans, you are already so overpowered at the beginning of Prototype 2 as Heller that the basic human infected are just little piece of cardboard that crumbles to your presence. While some side missions offer rewards when you either run over infected humans, or kill multiple of them at the same time, it's really not enough for ya to care about doing. As for the story, I can understand a little bit of making Mercer the villain, but it feels like they are trying to throw 50 curveballs at you at once where after awhile you just say to yourself, "Screw it everyone's evil, kill them all." which is pretty much the attitude Heller has towards everyone and everything in the game, except the one or two allies you may have. The battle mechanics are pretty fun, such as the power combos and such. But it was also fun in the older, when you switched up powers and armor and the like for different situations. But all in all it could all be easily explained that the reason they did the changes with powers and things like that because you are not playing Mercer but a different infected main character. I do miss the mini-games that you could do for more evolution points in the previous version, cause I do have to say it's rather annoying when you do a side mission and every single one that has to do with racing a clock is, "Oh no my helicopter is exploding, and I'm dropping cargo everywhere." I start to think, damn you would think they would find a different way of transporting these very important shipments of cargo, than these terrible helicopter pilots. I feel no connection to the main character and to be honest his intro is rather bland, he's the Batman of Prototype except a mass murderer who gets his jollies off of shoving his foot up peoples asses. To be honest, I would rather have been playing as Jack Mercer for a second time, and have Heller be the villain. Expand
  13. May 14, 2012
    One of the best sandbox games I've played in a while... here's the "but" though: it's not better than the previous installment per se. Different, but not better.

The weapons, in this game's case the weapons are any given growth you arms turn into, are more balanced, but there's less of them. Additionally, leveling has been streamlined, a fact everyone and their mother seems to enjoy for whatever reason, making the choices easier but a lot more restricted.

As par with any sandbox game there's plenty of collectibles and side events to discover, but you only know that you're near them when you get with 160 odd feet or yards or whatever and you have to find it from there using a hot-or-cold-esque meter. Since this game takes place in NY City-ish Land it's pretty much required that you use a guide to find any of them, let alone all of them. Doing enough of these in any given area will unlock a bonus, but as they are extremely difficult to find, the bonuses are small, don't affect gameplay much, and aren't required to beat the game. Thus we have one of the few instances in a sandbox game where I haven't felt compelled in the least to find all the collectibles and side bits.

One small thing of note that I really enjoyed was the side mission radar you have. Here's how it works: sometimes you'll find specially marked people to devour and the game will then direct you to a specific console on the side of an enemy (called Blackwatch) van that you need to access and then you'll do a little side mission. Most of the time however, you'll access the van first as they are one of the few things always marked on your map. In this case, you have to find the guy you need on your own with the help of this radar thing. It works by clicking the thumb stick which sends out a radar like ping from your location across the game world and your target will send one back once it hits them, giving you a general direction to go in as well as an idea as to how far away they are. It's a really innovative way to tell the player where to look for stuff without actually telling the player where it is and I only wish the game used this feature as the means to find everything not directly related to the story.

Ah, the story... Prototype 1's story wasn't the best, easily the weakest part of the game, but Prototype 2's story is as generic as they come. I don't want to spoil anything, but by the time I was watching the cutscene before the final boss fight (one guess as to who it is) I had long since found the story to be bordering on the cartoonish, the villain no doubt wishing he had a mustache to twirl as he monologues about his evil plans for world domination. And after you beat him the game just ends with very little resolved.

Why then the positive rating? If you can't see the fun to be had from playing as an extremely agile Clayface who heals himself by absorbing hapless pedestrians through osmosis, then you are the definition of odd.
  14. May 20, 2012
    Alla lunga ripetitivo e poco interessante ha sicuramente un gameplay divertente, ma secondo me non molto profondo. Tecnicamente mediocre, colonna sonora senza infamia e senza lode.
  15. Apr 26, 2012
    Ok, so I'm seeing alot of negative reviews... I don't know why. This game is amazing, sure it's not up to par with the halo's and the mass effects. BUT it is one hell of a great time! Whizzing through NYZ killing people, causing mayhem, it's the ultimate power fantasy. P2 improved on everything from the first game, as well as added nice new features, the general concept is the same, andOk, so I'm seeing alot of negative reviews... I don't know why. This game is amazing, sure it's not up to par with the halo's and the mass effects. BUT it is one hell of a great time! Whizzing through NYZ killing people, causing mayhem, it's the ultimate power fantasy. P2 improved on everything from the first game, as well as added nice new features, the general concept is the same, and the story isn't as strong as it was marketed, but the finale tied with the great experience, and wonderful look and feel of the city, you're sure to spend alot more than 10 hours enjoying the blood, sweat and tears of NYZ. Along with weekly challenges and unlocks, accompanied by several game difficulties, and a New Game+ Option you're sure to come back for more! And the Radnet challenges offer leader boards to compete with friends, that feeling of accomplishment when you crush your friends high score, that's fun times. So pick up Prototype 2 if you want a game with a decent story, a powerful protagonist, and some great combat and powers that 1 ups the original in spades. Collapse

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jul 8, 2012
    It stubbornly refuses to capitalise on its full potential, but Prototype 2 is still a whole lot of fun. [July 2012, p.64]
  2. X-ONE Magazine UK
    Jun 5, 2012
    The repetition begins to grow old a few hours before the game reaches its conclusion. [Issue#85, p.84]
  3. May 29, 2012
    An intriguing plot tries to turn an action-oriented (and bloody) game on its ear, but the gameplay is too repetitive at its core to make you feel like you've really experienced something unique in the ever-growing world of sandbox games.