6.6

1. Aug 27, 2013
    I don't get why it's getting low reviews. People must be having a bad acid trip. The game has all the highlights of a SR game except the newer twists make it somewhat unrecognizeable at times. Overall, it's the old games with a beefier and faster and smarter set of developments. Who's to complain?
  2. Aug 24, 2013
    They took everything great about the previous saints row games and used them to make saints row 4. It is by far the best saints row out of the 4. I thought the first 3 saints row games went gradually downhill. Then this one came along and surprised the heck out of me. I thought the whole alien thing would be dumb, however they made it work. This is a really fun game to play. A lot ofThey took everything great about the previous saints row games and used them to make saints row 4. It is by far the best saints row out of the 4. I thought the first 3 saints row games went gradually downhill. Then this one came along and surprised the heck out of me. I thought the whole alien thing would be dumb, however they made it work. This is a really fun game to play. A lot of missions, side missions, and activities. The only bad mission was the first one because it was so easy. They get a lot harder. The only improvement they could have made was to improve the graphics. They are still the same as before. If you ever enjoyed saints row it is a must buy. Expand
  3. Aug 24, 2013
    First and foremost. If you like your sandbox games to be grounded in reality, then look for a different game. If you prefer Saints Row 1 and 2 over 3, then go play Saints Row 1 and 2. This game is not for gamers who like their series to remain relatively the same with each new release. Once you take your retro glasses off and start looking at how this game on it's own, then you realizeFirst and foremost. If you like your sandbox games to be grounded in reality, then look for a different game. If you prefer Saints Row 1 and 2 over 3, then go play Saints Row 1 and 2. This game is not for gamers who like their series to remain relatively the same with each new release. Once you take your retro glasses off and start looking at how this game on it's own, then you realize that it is a great game. The writing is well executed and everything that happens in the game does actually make sense if you think about it for more than 5 seconds. Case in point. All the side activities are essentially a way for the main character to exploit the simulation and bend it to the Saints will. The blazing activity is outright stated as to be trying to cause the simulation to overload so that Kinzie and Matt can try to exploit it. On to those complaining about it being short. These individuals are most likely ignoring the side missions and activities and just blowing through the main story. Of course it's going to be short at that point. I'm currently about 10 hours in with only a 47% completion. On to the bad. Glitching. I have see the frame rates plummet and the game stutter a handful of times. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but I've only had the game lock up once. In the end, the game is good if you give it a chance. But, once again, if you didn't like Saints Row 3, then go back to playing GTA 4 while you wait for GTA 5 to be released. Expand
  4. Aug 23, 2013
    This game is awesome it's like the developers took prototype, crackdown, gta, and all the saints row games and threw them in a blender and created this amazing concoction. It is a little similar to sr3 but the fun gameplay is what keeps in refined and new. The powers are cool, customization options are vastly improved, campaign is longer, and it even has throwbacks to the first two games.This game is awesome it's like the developers took prototype, crackdown, gta, and all the saints row games and threw them in a blender and created this amazing concoction. It is a little similar to sr3 but the fun gameplay is what keeps in refined and new. The powers are cool, customization options are vastly improved, campaign is longer, and it even has throwbacks to the first two games. The problems that plagued the third haven't been entirely fixed but IMHO this is the best saints row game. I definitely recommend it if you enjoyed sr3. Even if you didn't like 3 at least give this game a chance it's a blast to play! Expand
  5. Aug 30, 2013
    This game is really suitable to be a sequel to its predecessor Saints Row The Third There are improvements in the game, storyline and the gadgets. They've had added new features which is we are able to use superpowers.To me its graphics is actually worse than Saints Row The Third. Anyways its quite a worth buying.
  6. Aug 28, 2013
    I have to be much kinder with this game, than most 3rd person games, due to it's "retro" potential in not only game play, but it rips off endless books, movies, and music in the process in a hilarious way.

First of all, i have to be honest, they stole a LOT from "The Matrix" and, quite literally, formed this game around the idea of it. I would have to say that the humor of everything kept me interested in it. Having super-powers, without being an actual "Super Man", was kinda fun.

But there were, and still are, bugs in the game. I've had times where I've been phased inside of doors, while on a mission, and my "homie" was dying. The game, because of it's bugginess, kept me from winning.....especially on the "Asha" mission. Sometimes she would vanish completely and I would have to start over. I've had incidents to where i would be stuck, in a jump, in the air and not be able to move until the game righted it's self.

But, other than that, the game was great. The controls were totally comfortable, the idea of making a game video glitch (on purpose) was genius. Sometimes people i knew couldn't tell it was supposed to be happening. The old retro platformer & 8-bit throwbacks were fun too....and i never get tired of an occasional 80s song being thrown into a mission. :)

There was one thing about it that was a little dumb. Having the super-powers really removed the need for the use of an vehicles in the game. If you can jump high, glide for miles, and run like The Flash....you don't really need vehicles for anything other than the sheer joy of watching the power you've gained blow them away :P

I actually liked this one better than the 3rd roll-out of SR.
  7. Aug 21, 2013
    Saints row is a celebration of having fun in a video game. Logic has meant very little in series and less in this game. The game will seem tedious at some points but the variety in this game is impressive from side scrolling beat'em up, text based adventure, racing, etc. it also shows how full of crap most games are with their bull**** stories and lack of real tension.
  8. Aug 26, 2013
    I genuinely enjoy the direction this game series has taken, playing through SR1 and 2 was tiring as it felt like a half hearted GTA clone, but in SR3 and now SR4 the game has come into it's own as a series that combines combat, driving, and a not to serious story to provide a entertaining experience. I had a good enough experience to purchase the season pass and am optimistic that futureI genuinely enjoy the direction this game series has taken, playing through SR1 and 2 was tiring as it felt like a half hearted GTA clone, but in SR3 and now SR4 the game has come into it's own as a series that combines combat, driving, and a not to serious story to provide a entertaining experience. I had a good enough experience to purchase the season pass and am optimistic that future SR4 content will be as much of a pleasure as the game itself. Expand
  9. LTR
    Aug 21, 2013
    This game is so much FUN!The story is amazing,the parodys in the game are hilarious and the superpowers are so much fun to use.This game was purely made for fun!
  10. Aug 27, 2013
    Stop taking life so seriously, this game is intended for pure fun and nothing more. Whilst there are a few minor flaws and the simple fact that it feels more like DLC than a brand new game, it's still great nonetheless. Don't compare it to Grand Theft Auto either, just because they're both "Sandbox/Free-Roam" games, it doesn't make them similar in anyway.

Games were intended for fun,

Games were intended for fun, the experience this game offers is purely that. I am a fan of the franchise and I am aware of it's changes. Some I like and some I'm not keen on but nonetheless it's a great game that will keep me occupied until the release of Grand Theft Auto and even after that is released, I'm sure I'll be picking up my copy of Saints Row IV again without a doubt.

If you don't feel like this is a game you'd like to buy, simply wait until a sale is on or sign up to a rental service and grab it that way.
  11. Aug 22, 2013
    At the top of this game, one of the Saint's gang members informs, "We don't do anything subtly!" Aside from the high production values, that's what makes this game so much fun and it richly deserves the 9 I gave it.. In a lackluster Summer waiting for the new consoles to be released, this game is a breath of fresh air!!! The graphics/cutscenes are state of the art, and the over the topAt the top of this game, one of the Saint's gang members informs, "We don't do anything subtly!" Aside from the high production values, that's what makes this game so much fun and it richly deserves the 9 I gave it.. In a lackluster Summer waiting for the new consoles to be released, this game is a breath of fresh air!!! The graphics/cutscenes are state of the art, and the over the top "attitude" of the Saints as they assume the power of the Presidency fighting a formidable Alien race is hilarious ....and make no doubt, the high powered weapons and the easy game play will bring joy to your heart as you decimate the enemy during the captivating plot of wonderful scenarios that are both challenging and oh so, so funny.... .A great way to say good-bye to the old console Expand
  12. Aug 20, 2013
    Picked up a copy a couple days early and have clocked 16 hours so far. Thoroughly enjoying this game and the improvements go far beyond what looks like simply an expansion. I was concerned since the engine and game-play (with the except of superpowers) this game would simply be a glorified expansion with more features. However they have really excelled in crafting a brand new experience,Picked up a copy a couple days early and have clocked 16 hours so far. Thoroughly enjoying this game and the improvements go far beyond what looks like simply an expansion. I was concerned since the engine and game-play (with the except of superpowers) this game would simply be a glorified expansion with more features. However they have really excelled in crafting a brand new experience, mainly due to the superpowers which are really fun. Not quite on the same level a Crackdown 2, however the other experiences in SR4 easily make up for that. The storyline is silly as ever, but as the developers pushed and promised, the character development is more apparent and works really well. A fun, daft game like the third, but that's why we now love it! Expand
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    This game is just pure fun. I had only one problem with Saints Row: The Third: I felt like it was too slow. With the inclusion of super powers in Saints Row IV, the pace has drastically increased and I find myself giddy while playing it, because it is literally everything I had hoped for from this game. I would heavily suggest this game if you enjoyed Prototype or Crackdown, because I feelThis game is just pure fun. I had only one problem with Saints Row: The Third: I felt like it was too slow. With the inclusion of super powers in Saints Row IV, the pace has drastically increased and I find myself giddy while playing it, because it is literally everything I had hoped for from this game. I would heavily suggest this game if you enjoyed Prototype or Crackdown, because I feel it is more fun than both of them combined!

Also, while I think that this game probably deserves a 8, I am giving it a 10, because no game deserves a rating of 0.
  14. Aug 21, 2013
    Great game! I have had no problems with it, the Machinima team thinks you should buy this wonderful game, it is action packed and fun to just free roam!
  15. Aug 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game, I really love this game, I love it so much, that I just haven't stopped playing it.
    The funny moments in the game are hilariously good, including all the super powers and weapons.
    The twists & turns were completely unexpected, especially the return of Johnny Gat (Alive & Kicking), and the surprise arrival of, WWE Hall of Fame Superstar, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, not to mention all the sex!
    The only down sides to the game, are the occasional glitches & crashes/freezes, that really must be sorted out ASAP; Apart from that, I can't wait for "Saints Row 5"!
  16. Aug 21, 2013
    LETS GIVE AROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR DEEP SLIVER's epic and quite interesting conclusion to a great franchise called Saints Row! When I first saw this game... the first thought that came in my head was... SAINTS ROW III dlc expansion. But before you judge.. DO YOUR RESEARCH. Now a lot of these reviewers are giving this game either perfect scores or a 9/10 which bugs me because this game is farLETS GIVE AROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR DEEP SLIVER's epic and quite interesting conclusion to a great franchise called Saints Row! When I first saw this game... the first thought that came in my head was... SAINTS ROW III dlc expansion. But before you judge.. DO YOUR RESEARCH. Now a lot of these reviewers are giving this game either perfect scores or a 9/10 which bugs me because this game is far from perfect. As a matter a fact.. think of this game as the ULTIMATE PARODY TO GTA and many other great games. Now for those of you who gave this game a lower score than a 7... you might want to watch Angry Joe's review to see if it helps clear up some things....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4g9gfxxvnA&feature=c4-overview&list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ NOW... The first Saints Row came out in 2006 with a strong storyline which than was continued along with the SUPERIOR version of Saints Row 2 with an even stronger stroyline and more elements. Than we had Saints Row III who just forgets about Saints Row 2 in anyway and actually has an average storyline with some weak elements (although it is very fun to play.) Now we have Saints Row IV... where you are the president and can basically do whatever you want! The super powers are either too powerful or just downright broken. The storyline is a little bit confusing and it SHOULD NOT be taken seriously. Some of the side missions are back from Saints Row 2 and Johnny Gat is back! The ending is basically showing the fans...... "hey, thanks for watching our movie and playing the game!" So lets recap because I am a little lost. In Saints Row 1/2... you are gangsters who are trying to take over a city. In Saints Row III, you succeed and you are not just as big as Michael Jackson and Oprah Winfrey. And THAN in Saints Row IV... you are like President Barock Obama except you are really rebellious and just do whatever you want. For more information on the storylines... check out the wikis and play the games for yourselves. All and all... this game is debatable due to bugs, glitches, DUMB A.I, easy gameplay/ missions, too much backtracking and a storyline that just seems to parody too many games, movies and Saints Row II itself. I can go on and on about this but the most honest review I have seen is "Angry Joe's!" Well... That's all folks! The final verdict for the Saints Row series as a whole is an 8.5/10 and will be known as a serious game turned bonkers but it is loads of fun! The final verdict however for Saints Row IV on console versions is a 7/10. It ends the series well and it is better than SRIII but that is not saying much huh? Oh well...SPEND $60 on this game and go have some fun. Be apart of this crazy roller coaster and just PARTY!!! XD Expand
  17. Aug 25, 2013
    It is the humour, weapons, characters and occasional quirky gameplay that makes this a somewhat unique game. However for the most part the gameplay itself feels too much like Prototype and Crackdown. Instead of making a silly GTA4 version, which is what Saint's Row 3 was, they made a silly Prototype/Crackdown version. One thing that annoyed me is that you get all the superpowers prettyIt is the humour, weapons, characters and occasional quirky gameplay that makes this a somewhat unique game. However for the most part the gameplay itself feels too much like Prototype and Crackdown. Instead of making a silly GTA4 version, which is what Saint's Row 3 was, they made a silly Prototype/Crackdown version. One thing that annoyed me is that you get all the superpowers pretty much from the beginning, which is not a good thing. Even though you can jump into cars and drive around there is no practical reason to do so because your jumping and running superpowers will get you there faster. So the driving function is completely wasted in this game. Also, as far as over-the-top gameplay goes I honestly think Deadpool did it better. The concept and storyline of the game is OK but I would definetely have preferred something closer to Saint's Row 2 and 3. Something closer to Earth. All in all you will probably like this game if you enjoy games such as Deadpool, Protoype and Crackdown. Deadpool in particular. Expand
  18. Aug 26, 2013
    Saints Row 4 blows the Third directly out of the water. I can never go back to simply driving a car. It's a game that's easy to pick up and put down, or play for hours on end. The music is excellent, the story is fulfilling, and the powers are polished and execute in a very satisfying way. At the risk of sounding like Old Shaundi, this game is an expression of joy. It's impossible to feelSaints Row 4 blows the Third directly out of the water. I can never go back to simply driving a car. It's a game that's easy to pick up and put down, or play for hours on end. The music is excellent, the story is fulfilling, and the powers are polished and execute in a very satisfying way. At the risk of sounding like Old Shaundi, this game is an expression of joy. It's impossible to feel unhappy while leaping from rooftop to rooftop as a huge, balmy moon hangs lazily in the distance. This game is beautiful, and even though Saints Row 2 will always be my favorite and very dear to my heart, I don't regret this entry in the series one bit. Expand
  19. Aug 25, 2013
    Saints Row IV is truly fantastic. The users are being unbelievably harsh on this game. Just like Saints Row 3 they have changed it up and made it yet again crazier than the usual game. Every super power in the game adds a unique way to kill enemies in yet another hilarious way. This game is yet again better when played with a friend. Such a fantastic game!
  20. Sep 2, 2013
    Although the game is graphically rough and buggy, I still loved playing through it with my brother. It's pure fun, and is chocked full of laughs, if you're into toilet humor. The story is wild, and unpredictable, plus the direction the game took was unlike anything I've seen before. I'd highly recommend this game to people who want a good time especially if they have someone else to playAlthough the game is graphically rough and buggy, I still loved playing through it with my brother. It's pure fun, and is chocked full of laughs, if you're into toilet humor. The story is wild, and unpredictable, plus the direction the game took was unlike anything I've seen before. I'd highly recommend this game to people who want a good time especially if they have someone else to play and laugh with. Expand
  21. Sep 14, 2013
    This is the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. Saints Row has finally let grand theft auto grab up the gang style realism and has completely immersed itself in the insane charm that the previous titles only dreamt of. Ask nothing of this game, and this game will give you hours of nothing. Just flying around, or super-kicking aliens in the balls, or destroying city blocks with dubThis is the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. Saints Row has finally let grand theft auto grab up the gang style realism and has completely immersed itself in the insane charm that the previous titles only dreamt of. Ask nothing of this game, and this game will give you hours of nothing. Just flying around, or super-kicking aliens in the balls, or destroying city blocks with dub step. The new alien vehicles are fun, the superpowers are amazing, and the weapons have introduced the deepest level of customization Saints has ever attempted. Brilliant good fun. Expand
  22. Nov 21, 2013
    The game is basically saints row 3 with a little more to do and super powers... and i am fine with that. The gameplay is fun, the story is compelling, and GAT is back!
  23. May 7, 2016
    Saints Row: The Third was a crazy game. This sequel tops it's predecessor with new forms of absurdity. With superpowers, aliens, and hilarious parodies of other video games it's an absolute over-the-top, laugh riot. Develop Volition gives us a huge playground to goof off in and filled it with toys. The results are wonderful. This is easily one of the most satisfying open-world gamingSaints Row: The Third was a crazy game. This sequel tops it's predecessor with new forms of absurdity. With superpowers, aliens, and hilarious parodies of other video games it's an absolute over-the-top, laugh riot. Develop Volition gives us a huge playground to goof off in and filled it with toys. The results are wonderful. This is easily one of the most satisfying open-world gaming experiences I have ever had.

The action is incredibly satisfying. The gunplay is perfect, the powers are exciting, and the destruction is glorious. You're given so many ways to cause havoc that every fight feels different. The game gives you plenty of reasons to try out everything.

This is due to a satisfying progression loop. You're constantly being rewarded for everything you do. New powers and weapons are constantly opening up as you progress through the story and side-missions. As you tackle optional objectives you get even more and the ability to upgrade what you do have. This constant sense of achievement I got from watching my character grow and get more powerful the deep I dove into the game kept me going back to complete as much as possible. These objectives are so satisfyingly made and fun that I enjoyed every second of it.

I also love the game's sense of customization. You character's appearance, clothes, weapons, vehicles, and more can be altered to look however you want. Mix that with game's sense of humor and refusal to take itself seriously and you get some awesome and hilarious options. This tone is really infectious as well. So much so that when the game gave me the option to paint my machine guns pink with white polka dots I didn't hesitate.

The powers really do change the game. Flying across the city is a blast. The things like super jumps and speed make traversing this familiar city (it's the same setting as the previous game) feel new and exciting again. Powers like telekinesis and ice blasts complement the core combat mechanics well adding new flair to already fun fights. Admittedly these new powers do at times clash with some of the series returning elements. Why should I customize cars to my liking when the game let's me run faster than them anyway. That being said I'm not about to complain about their inclusion as they turn Saints Row IV into something even more amazing than previous entries. Just know that some elements are going to get pushed to the side due to their inclusion.

I can't praise the writing enough. The characters new and old are just as lovable as ever. The game kept me regularly laughing with spot-on parodies and self-aware sense of humor. The plot itself is even compelling thanks to a strong villain. It's got laughs a plenty and even some heart here and there.

Outside of some glitches here and there and the previously mentioned clashing of some elements, Saints Row IV is an all around success. One that's darn near perfect. With a constant sense of progression, excellent writing, fun mission variety, and just all around tightly made gameplay ensure that there is plenty of reason to give this game a shot. The series has never been stronger in my opinion. So much so that I don't know how Volition is going to be able to top it. Saints Row IV is just that good. It's brimming with imagination, humor, and most importantly fun. You'd be hard pressed to find a more addictive and satisfying open-world experience out there. It's rare to find a game this good regardless of it's genre.

9.4/10
  24. Sep 20, 2013
    Reviews are too harsh for this, This game is great for open world fans, fans of Saints Row and Prototype will enjoy this.

Plenty to do, plenty to unlock, which just about fixes everything wrong with SR3.
  25. Jul 6, 2014
    More saints row madness which is definitely a good thing. I think this game put many off because of the super power elements but i felt they were something new to differentiate it from Saints row 3.
  26. Oct 23, 2013
    [8.1] A major improvement on the third installment, Saints Row IV is an endlessly fun super hero simulator, as well as many other things. It is by far better written than any of the previous games, and I would almost go as far as to say the story was engaging. The super powers blend in perfectly with classic Saints Row gameplay, and give a lot more options to how you play. It's not without[8.1] A major improvement on the third installment, Saints Row IV is an endlessly fun super hero simulator, as well as many other things. It is by far better written than any of the previous games, and I would almost go as far as to say the story was engaging. The super powers blend in perfectly with classic Saints Row gameplay, and give a lot more options to how you play. It's not without its flaws, but most of them are easily overlooked. Rag doll occurs quite more often than one might hope which can prove frustrating, some activities can also be frustrating (while others are the most fun you've ever had). If you aren't patient, then this game might not be for you, but some glitches are an easy price to pay. The game is worth buying, especially if you haven't played the previous games. Expand
  27. Sep 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let me be clear- Saints Row: The Third was a game that I had thought did not require a sequel so relatively soon after its release, for more reasons than one. The first reason would be the sheer amount of content it already offered, and the premise that I'm sure much more could have been shoved into the already bustling and busting world. The second reason would be because of its witty and insanely comical storyline, dialogue, and antics- making for a very memorable and hard to top experience. And the third reason being that, with each iteration of the Saints series getting better and better, it only takes so many sequels before you inevitably fall down a notch in the process. Saints Row IV is a good game, but it is not a better game than Saints Row: The Third in many ways, although it might still top it in others. By no means does this mean that IV is not a worthy sequel, or that it is automatically to be trashed simply because it didn't do as well as its predecessor. In fact, I'd still say that, in terms of the craziness and carnage we've come to expect from the Saints series, IV ranks second behind The Third, and is worlds better than SR2 and SR1. It is particularly interesting how Enter the Dominatrix became a full fledged title, and you'd expect that title to be a little barebones because of that, but it is surprisingly immersing instead. If you're looking for a crazy, fast-paced, and exciting title, then this is definitely a game for you.

The extremely apparent reason for Saints Row IV being ten times more crazy than its predecessor lies in the fact that you are in a computer simulation, and therefore anything goes- from superpowers to supercars. The fact that these powers are given to players early on in the game is a double edged gameplay sword. On one hand, it is awesome to be able to be overpowered and already leap buildings in single bounds a la Crackdown, however, on the other, you never get to really appreciate your powers so much by building them up and enjoying their ins and outs also a la Crackdown. In fact, on a Crackdown note, Saints Row IV can be easily compared to the first title in that series (or the second,, if you think about it) in that you possess a special set of powers, you fight overwhelming odds often, and you also find yourself in an abnormally hilarious and over-the-top experience every step of the way. First things first though, before I draw many more parallels between games here- let's get back to this review. You play as the President of the United States (or is it President of the United Saints? I'm really not sure...) and you have the power to veto bills or leap high buildings and run at dangerously fast speeds. Bear in mind, you can upgrade your skills and learn new ones, however, it is simply not as expansive and time consuming as it could be a la Crackdown, which is both good and bad. If you are looking for a more in-depth experience, it is a little disappointing, however, if you wish to level up fast and kick some booty, it is excellently paced.

One of the other double edged gameplay swords present here for and because of your super abilities, is the fact that your transportation methods are drastically affected. You'll most likely only find yourselves utilizing cars or other forms of transportation in the missions that require them, whereas you would normally just fly, sprint, and glide around to your destinations otherwise. There are still some epic vehicles, and by all means you are welcome to take them for a ride, however, you are a lot less likely to when you've got the choice between flying and driving. It's just a no-brainer. Now, going back to something I mentioned earlier about Enter the Dominatrix- the majority of the game is spent within said computer simulation, so expect even more shenanigans and hijinks than usual. The best thing about this is that those hijinks don't just stop at gameplay and dialogue, but instead percolate into the entire world as well. There are several moments that parody entire scenes from well known movies, games, and books- such as, but not limited to, Tron, Matrix, MGS, and more. The humor that the series has become known for still elicits laughs here and there, but ultimately it is the over-the-top, insane gameplay that has you rolling on the floor, not the scripted sequences or fallback jokes.

Let's talk about craziness and insanity for a moment here. No- not Vaas' definition of insanity, although that is a very good one, both metaphorically and literally. No, what I am referring to are the innumerable moments where something insane happens in Saints Row IV, and you simply stop and marvel at them. From the dubstep gun to the inflate-o-ray to the lightsabers (yes, you heard me correctly) to the black holes and more, there isn't a sane moment in this game. I mean, just take a gander at the picture above. That is the dubstep gun in action, and some of its finest work. Truly. Flying high above your enemies, descending upon them like a maelstrom, sucking them into a black hole, blowing them up with your mind, and much, much more is possible- and deadly fun(ny) as well. Some other craziness happens in the form of intentional (and unintentional) bugs or glitches. You might be walking (or flying) around, when suddenly the environment becomes all pixelated and wavy, or maybe you're people start going crazy and walking into walls and stuff- it all depends. Then, of course, there are moments when you can't tell whether or not the bug is intentional- such as one instance where I was flying around, landed near a bad guy, picked him up to give him a whooping, and he suddenly disappeared- or so I thought. Instead, he had teleported mysteriously to the top of the world's sky, fallen for several minutes, bounced off of several hard objects, landed on the ground, sat there for two more minutes, and then gotten up and walked away like it was an everyday occurrence- which, in this game it very well may be. It's the things like that that actually make the game all the more endearing, even if they are character flaws. The only true annoying glitches are ones regarding the usual freezing and loading issues games have every now and then, but aside from that- the game is solid.

For aesthetic gurus out there, be warned- the entire game takes place in a gloomy atmosphere, so don't be expecting too much day to day changing world looks or locales. These night happening are made all the more interesting, but I could easily see how it could also irk people as it did our very own, beloved Dan Ryckert. Anyway, I for one, was not too miffed about it, seeing it merely as a design choice I would not have taken, but ultimately respect simply in the fact that it doesn't in any way diminish the gameplay or graphics- merely the visual palette. Saints Row has always been a fun and crazy experience, and always had its few little glitches and issues, and on the whole, IV is not entirely too different, despite the change in ownership. It's the same as the Metro sequel in many ways- from developer to the fact that some things have changed, whereas others have remained faithfully true. Solo, cooperative, or just time sinking are all viable options, and all with their respective personalities and gimmicks. Superpowers and superpowered enemies just make things all the more risky, fun, and insane, and I wouldn't have missed the opportunity to play with them for the world- or rather, for an animated Steelport simulation. The series has always been known for its customization abilities and upgrades, and those return in force this time around, with upgrades for everything from your techno weapons to your superpowers and looks. This might be the same old story as The Third, with controlling and protecting Steelport and your interests, but you can bet that it is far from the same experience as that of The Third- even if Johnny Gat does make a come back. (Sorry, had to spoil that- plus I'm sure you already knew anyway, and if not...oops.)

Concept: Simply put- Saints Row: The Third with more customization, more insanity, and more superpowers...well, actually HAVING superpowers, anyway.

Graphics: The graphics are slightly improved over The Third's already pretty good looking graphical scheme, and the only slight inconvenience is the brightness or lack thereof present throughout your adventures. That is easily cured however by simply turning the settings and gamma up of course, so it is quite minor and not detracting from the experience.

Sound: The in-game radio stations and the soundtracks and scores themselves are as silly as the game is, and often quite fitting to the scenarios you find yourselves in. Sometimes the game tries to be dramatic, and it is usually all the more hilarious for it.

Playability: I wouldn't have though there would be much more room in the controls for your super abilities and augmentations, but by golly, they sure managed to pack them in there anyway didn't they? Now, not only can you curb stomp somebody, but you can inflate-o ray them, drop them off of a building, curb stomp them from fifteen feet in the air, AND toss them into a black hole for added measure.

Entertainment: Saints Row IV certainly shines in some moments, and it has quite a few solid times, but overall, it's still just a close second to Saints Row: The Third, and seems too much like Saints Row 3.5 for me. But that's just my opinion, and has nothing to do with the solid gameplay and tight controls.

Replay Value: Moderately High.

Overall Score: 8.0
  28. Sep 28, 2013
    Las cosas van bien pues tienen de todo Saints row 4 es uno de los mejores juegos que he jugado que hasta me atrevo a decir que supera a GTA, es una historia interesante sin enlaces raros y logra ser entretenida, Saints row 4 tiene lo que le faltaba a Deep silver par llegar a un punto mucho mas alto en los juegos
  29. Sep 22, 2013
    My favorite game this year! If you come to this game expecting a serious game, well your out of luck!
    Totally off the charts amusing, you'll be rolling in laughter at most points. As to gameplay, it's great. The only downpoint is that vehicles aren't really needed at all, though they can be used for a change of pace.
    I endorse this game!
  30. Sep 17, 2013
    When I first saw Saints Row IV I absolutely despised it. I thought they took the idea of everything being over dramatic and funny to being way over the top. Even for Saints Row! Because from what I saw and heard, You were the president with super powers in an alien invasion. But this is not how the game was.

I bought the game to laugh at it. And boy oh boy, did this game prove me wrong.

I bought the game to laugh at it. And boy oh boy, did this game prove me wrong. The story was executed in a fantastic way, the super powers were used in a way that was so clever. It was very similar to assassins creed in which you are put into a simulation, so you aren't just given superpowers because why the hell not. There is reasoning to it. I wont lie, the president bit was a bit over the top, but I liked it.

The characters in the game were gripping. I cared for people like Kinzie because she cared about me. Well My character but I felt so attached to her. It was great! Other characters were not so lovable because it is all mainly based around you and Kinzie. I'm surprised we didn't get married!

The side missions were quite annoying. They were unbearably repetative and just made you do the same 5 activities over and over with a different plot each time but the loyalty missions paid off for this. They were all different in every way and none of them felt the same as the others.

So, overall, going into a game I was certain I would hate, Completely bi-est against it. I was delightfully surprised. The side missions might be a pain in the Arse But overall. This game rocked!
  31. Oct 22, 2013
    I've never been a big fan of the Saints Row series. I often felt they failed with the third one. But this is different. This game is probably in my top 30 games of all time. It's fun, addictive, and there is a lot to do. The super powers, the soundtrack, and all of the funny things they add to just fits almost perfectly. Though it is fun at first, you may find yourself just trying to getI've never been a big fan of the Saints Row series. I often felt they failed with the third one. But this is different. This game is probably in my top 30 games of all time. It's fun, addictive, and there is a lot to do. The super powers, the soundtrack, and all of the funny things they add to just fits almost perfectly. Though it is fun at first, you may find yourself just trying to get yourself to the next part. I have added up about 35 hours in the game and near the end too. Though cars are pretty useless in the game and the handling does kinda suck. I give this game an 8.5 overall. And it isn't like Saint's Row 3 or a dlc. Expand
  32. Nov 3, 2013
    Saints Row IV continues an epic story line in a well-designed game. Much like it's three predecessors, this game is fun, challenging and has the perfect open-world availability I personally enjoy. They always manage to remain creative with challenges, weapons and character development.
  33. Sep 30, 2014
    A really fun little experience, a definite step up from Saints Row: The Third, but also a big step away from the Saints Row franchise. If Volition wants to bring the Saints Row franchise away from it's roots, then I'd much prefer if they did it this way than what they did with Saints Row: The Third.
  34. Dec 26, 2013
    Saints have taken the office, with you, the player, becoming President. Now aliens have taken over Earth and it's your job to save the world from Zinyak, an evil alien with a love for literature.Surprisingly, the game has a lot to offer. Having superpowers is one of the highlights of the game. The downside, you are basically invincible on casual with superpowers. The weapons are unique. ISaints have taken the office, with you, the player, becoming President. Now aliens have taken over Earth and it's your job to save the world from Zinyak, an evil alien with a love for literature.Surprisingly, the game has a lot to offer. Having superpowers is one of the highlights of the game. The downside, you are basically invincible on casual with superpowers. The weapons are unique. I love how you can change the style of most of your guns, to either be a realistic weapon, or a space themed weapon varying from "star wars" style weapons and many more. Weapons can still be used in combination with your powers. A big problem is the vehicles. Vehicles are for the most part useless. Why spend 10 minutes driving a vehicle to one point instead of flying to said point in less than a minute. Sucks for the people who spent time on making the vehicle customization. Quests are still boring as can be, side quests at least. These are disguised as "quests" that are just for completing the activities around Steel port. There is an abundant amount of collectibles, including Audio Logs, Zinyak Statues, and clusters. With over 1000 clusters, you will be spending time after-game collecting these. Clusters are used to upgrade your superpowers. The writing is very good and is as funny as could be. For a game that was originally meant to be dlc for Saints Row 3, its a fun game that you will spend 10-15+ hours on. Expand
  35. Jul 25, 2014
    This game is different than other saints row games and other sandbox games because this game truly gets the meaning of games,it's supposed to be fun and not realistic it's a game not real life
    But a realistic graphics,motions,and other things is needed too and this game gives you that but not so great and the game is just pure awesome and fun with this new superpower thing i just had a blast with this game
  36. Jan 25, 2014
    This game is cheesy, but it is a lot of fun! It's definitely better than the 6 that it has. There are so many side missions and different things you can do . This game is worth a buy because you will get plenty if hrs out it. I was skeptical about the whole alien thing at first, but the super powers actually make the game more fun. I would say this game is a mix of Prototype , infamous ,This game is cheesy, but it is a lot of fun! It's definitely better than the 6 that it has. There are so many side missions and different things you can do . This game is worth a buy because you will get plenty if hrs out it. I was skeptical about the whole alien thing at first, but the super powers actually make the game more fun. I would say this game is a mix of Prototype , infamous , and GTA . If you like all of those you will love this game . The down sides are it is very cheesy , the customization of your character seems like it has not changed at all from Saints the third , the audio was never right ( I couldn't hear the main story & other parts were too loud, and the graphics are not that great. But all in all it's a fun game and worth a buy Expand
  37. Feb 6, 2014
    at first i dint like this game but after i got adjusted to the new style i really enjoyed it it was good
    it just goes beyond dlc bit i go back to it even though i got gta 5 because it is not even a clone now i
    if it is on sale on xbox or steam get it
  38. Jun 19, 2014
    "Saints Row IV" is a great game. It has the Dubstep Gun and super powers and that should be enough. I highly recommend playing it. The parody of gaming is spot-on and welcome. The tough question is whether it is better or worse than "Saints Row the Third". Everyone knows "Saints Row IV" started as extra content for "Saints Row the Third" and then was spun into into owns game instead. Much"Saints Row IV" is a great game. It has the Dubstep Gun and super powers and that should be enough. I highly recommend playing it. The parody of gaming is spot-on and welcome. The tough question is whether it is better or worse than "Saints Row the Third". Everyone knows "Saints Row IV" started as extra content for "Saints Row the Third" and then was spun into into owns game instead. Much of "Saints Row the Third" is recycled, such as much of the game world, vehicles, characters, and weapons. However, what little that has changed is just so fantastic, revisiting Steel City is fantastic fun.

The story mode of the game is rather shallow. You can definitely see how this game is more of an add-on than full game. On the other hand, some of the missions are inventive for this genre. One has you in a 2-D style "Double Dragon" beat'm up. Another has your character commenting on shooting the lights in spy missions when he could just shoot the guard instead. Other revisit Saints Row history which is probably great for people who played the first two games. *shrug* Anyone who has seen the the 1980s "Transformers: The Movie" will enjoy some late game repartee between the "hero" and villain. The real special sauce is the additon of super powers, which eventually include creating a nuclear blast with a flying drop kick off a sky scraper.

All in all, "Saints Row IV" is short for a sandbox game and burns out quickly. When you can run up buildings at 200mph, the Steel Port becomes a small city and vehicle and weapon customization become useless. Super powers are often removed main story missions, as are much of the customization. Yet, for anyone with better things to do, a short game is not a detriment. Look at the stats for GTAIV. Hardly anyone finished the game, and that's because finishing the game was a real chore. Finishing "Saints Row IV" was a joy, and though it might have low replayability, the initial run will be epic, promise!
  39. Feb 20, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Compare Saints Row: The Third to Saints Row IV. Saints Row: The Third was alright. Saints Row IV is basically a lot better than the third one. If you read my last review on the third saints row then you read that game specifically is for the laid back gamers. This game is the same thing. But this game was a lot of fun due to like being superman in a simulated world which is different from real life. Only two problems with the game. One is making the leader of the third street saints the president of the US and changing the white house to some party house with politicians smoking weed, drinking beer, and watching the strippers in the second mission cutscene. Next thing is bringing back Benjamin King from the first Saints Row which is the leader of the Vice Kings.So now to the positive aspects of the game. When your not doing the main quests or side quests, you basically jump around and fly around a simulated Steelport taking over the world by pretty much crashing the program that was created by Zinyak. There seems to be a lot of negative reviews about this game so this a must say. This game wasn't made for serious gamers, this was made for fun. So take that to mind before writing a review. I understand we all have different opinions. But is it really necessary to tell someone that they are not a saints row fan because they like this specific game?! I think comments like that isn't necessary at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion!! Now with that being said, the superpowers basically is a ton of fun!! A Dubstep gun was awesome, it was hilarious when everybody got out of their cars and the people walking on the sidewalks just started dancing. So this is one game I can't take serious like I do with Call of Duty because Saints Row IV was a lot of fun. Expand
  40. Jan 5, 2016
    After a long bad day everything you need is some 80's Rock and superpowers.Sharp writing and fun plot.If you are looking for a serious game this is not it.I love frickin everything about it.
  41. Oct 30, 2016
    é o auge da insanidade! mas isso é ruim? não necessariamente, pra quem gosta de coisas bizarras,diferentes,divertidas... vai adorar esse jogo. o jogo é muito ridículo de tão divertido que ele é. vale a pena. saints row 4 se tornou o pai dos jogos sem noções!
  42. Apr 17, 2017
    Saints Row 3 était déjà un sommet du divin n'importe quoi, un merveilleux foutoir et un joyeux bordel et on ne pensait pas qu'il fut possible d'aller encore plus loin... mais impossible n'est pas Volition ! cette fois avec les pouvoirs d'un super-héros, le jeu est encore plus drôle et débile !

Autant les GTA sont chiants, autant les SR sont marrants (sauf le tout premier, clone raté de GTA 3) et ce n'est pas au détriment du gameplay lui-même, parfaitement calibré dans ce Saints Row 4. Toujours cette personnalisation de son personnage très poussée (on peut jouer une fille, on est pas mysogine chez Volition...) et une partie "jeu de rôle" (entre guillemets) puisque les caractéristiques et pouvoirs évoluent selon notre expérience et notre bon vouloir.

Certes tout n'est pas idyllique : ça reste assez moche, ça rame pas mal (un GTA aussi cela dit) et presque toute l'aventure se passe la nuit... Sans compter les 5 plantages en à peu près 30h de jeu... La campagne connaît également quelques passages à vide mais comme le grand final est à la hauteur et que les activités (presque toutes inédites) sont très inventives, on pardonne volontiers.

1. Hyper Magazine
    Oct 3, 2013
    It may not blow your mind graphically and has some niggling issues, but this is easily the most fun you can have with you clothes on, or pixelated off. [Nov 2013, p.60]
  2. games(TM)
    Sep 23, 2013
    Volition needs to plan its next steps carefully, or run the risk of losing the fan base it has worked so hard to claw away from those that didn't quite click with GTA IV. [Issue#139, p.86]
  3. Sep 20, 2013
    If it were released as a "mega expansion pack" Saints Row IV would have been a "must buy". As it is it can only be recommended to die-hard fans of the franchise.