7.0

1. SteveM.
    Oct 2, 2008
    Boo...an unworthy addition to the Silent Hill franchise. Just rips from the movie and panders to obsessed Pyramid Head junkies....obliterating any symbolism and theories established and considered since Silent Hill 2. Leave Silent Hill with Konami - they know what to do with it.
  2. Nov 21, 2011
    I can't believe the people that are giving this game that high scores... This game is not only the worst Silent Hill game ever made, it's also one of the worst games I ever played. It's just a succession of awfully stuff from the start to the end. The only good thing is the soundtrack.
  3. OliverD.
    Sep 30, 2008
    In my opinion, this is was a huge let down - not because I didn't expect it from an American developer...I was just crossing every crossable extremity in my body that I would be totally surprised and that SH5 would be a worthy addition. Unfortunately, all my wishing came to nothing. From a psychologically heavy survival horror with good dashes of symbolism and all things good - SH In my opinion, this is was a huge let down - not because I didn't expect it from an American developer...I was just crossing every crossable extremity in my body that I would be totally surprised and that SH5 would be a worthy addition. Unfortunately, all my wishing came to nothing. From a psychologically heavy survival horror with good dashes of symbolism and all things good - SH has now reverted to the average Joe's "shootan and slashin" horror game, minus the horror. The Silent Hill movie, whilst some parts were acceptable as a game to movie adaptation - it ultimately seems to have spelt SH's doom since all the developers can seem to envision in their mind is that movie and SH5 is evidence of that. No creativity, nothing to make me look twice, nothing to make me want to run, nothing to make me pause the game and take a 30min break out of sensory overload. I don't make a thing about giving games 1, its not necessary as there are usually more saving graces to warrant a 2....but with Silent Hill 5, it had big shoes to fill and I don't think it even got around to putting its socks on. All cudos should go to Akira Yamaoka for making me want to buy the soundtrack and atleast enjoy that for years to come. Expand

1. From its leaden, cheap-shots-aplenty combat to its wild-goose chase through gray, same-y hallways filled with useless, placebo doorways to a story that takes much too long to get off the ground, its entire first half feels like a death march through a clunky hot mess. [Nov 2008, p.73]
    If survival horror is your bread and butter, then Homecoming is right up your alley; otherwise, you might be better served waiting for Resident Evil 5.
    Double Helix has stayed true to the series' foundation while also taking steps in a brave new direction; they've crafted a tale that stands well within franchise lore, and they've produced horrifically beautiful environments, occasional framerate drops aside. If Double Helix learns from their mistakes here -- combat balance being the most glaring issue -- their future work could rival the series' best.