Skate Xbox 360

8.4

1. RJ
    Dec 14, 2007
    Uhh!! How can you people stand this game? It's a good gamebut the view ruins it. Every second when I speed up I get this foot in front of my screen!! Also, you're riding along then all of a sudden you hit this car you don't see! I gave it a 6 because it has a great storyline, good graphics, and lots of realism. The view just ruins the game though.
  2. NickJ.
    Sep 28, 2007
    I'll start with the few things that are decent about it. first off, obviously the visuals are phenomenal, and it's nice that it is more realistic compared to THPS. since you can't skate uphill without pumping or ollie 10ft in the air. I really dislike the view it gives you from practically right behind your skater. It makes it hard to see what is in front of you, and when I'll start with the few things that are decent about it. first off, obviously the visuals are phenomenal, and it's nice that it is more realistic compared to THPS. since you can't skate uphill without pumping or ollie 10ft in the air. I really dislike the view it gives you from practically right behind your skater. It makes it hard to see what is in front of you, and when you fall by running into things, that makes it just that much more annoying. I also don't like that all the flip tricks are performed by using just the right thumb stick. I find it hard to keep from doing the wrong trick on accident since the cominations for some off the tricks are too similar. I find it odd that they should cram all the tricks into one joystick when the RB isn't used for anything and there are two different buttons for pumping. Also, I find it incredibley annoying that you can't get off the board and walk up stairs for example. and the biggest disapointment off all is the absence of the Darkslide, primo, and casper. Expand
  3. AndyK.
    Sep 30, 2007
    A technically strong game tailored to hardcore skaters (and people up for a really serious challenge), this one will alienate casual gamers, as the learning curve can be excruciating.
  4. SeanB.
    Oct 8, 2007
    A good depiction of what skateboarding is supposed to be like; that is, as close as you can get with two analog sticks and a few buttons. The basics are not hard to pick up, unless you're like me and have been a Tony Hawk junkie, then they take some getting used to. But the Pro challenges are ridiculously difficult. The analog sticks just don't react to what you want them to do A good depiction of what skateboarding is supposed to be like; that is, as close as you can get with two analog sticks and a few buttons. The basics are not hard to pick up, unless you're like me and have been a Tony Hawk junkie, then they take some getting used to. But the Pro challenges are ridiculously difficult. The analog sticks just don't react to what you want them to do when you need them to do it (timing is crucial in this game). Freeskate is decent, but can become boring in itself. Overall, a nice addition to the skating genre (what else is there besides THPS?), but just doesn't quite have "it" to make it worthy of a memorable game, IMO. Expand
  5. TomB.
    Nov 25, 2007
    I love the controls with this game, they are amazingly fun and realistic once you get used to them I only have one complaint.....Why can't I get off of my board!!!!!!
  6. Feb 11, 2017
    the original Skate is a decent game.

the original Skate is a decent game.

The physics in this one aren't quite to the level of the 3rd game but better than the 2nd admittedly.The whole security chasing you thing can be pretty annoying,particularly if you are trying to do an objective.The controls scheme is excellent however,with the FlickIt control system.These can cause problems though,as in challenges where you have to copy a trick,it's lack of precision can result in you failing the challenge.

The graphics are medicore,though the framerate remains solid throughout the whole game.

The sound design is mediore,but the soundtrack is good.

Overall,the original Skate ranks inbetween 2 and 3 for quality for me.It has the better physics and single-player design,but gets crushed by Skate 3 in almost every aspect.It's still worth playing however.

As a brand new IP, based on an idea that could have completely blown up in EA's face, skate is an amazingly complete experience. Those who choose to relax and skate leisurely -- looking for cool lines and taking on the occasional challenge -- will likely find the most enjoyment.
    Built around utterly convincing physics and animation systems and a unique control scheme that's equal parts challenge and reward, it manages to be realistic without being discouraging and feels completely different from not only the competition, but from anything else out there.
  3. These controls feel great, and they really need to since the game isn’t in the slightest bit forgiving. When you go for a grind, you won’t magically be transported onto the rail. You have to line it up and pray that you time your jump and adjoining trick correctly.