7.8

1. Aug 14, 2012
    I was really looking forward to this game, and I am not disappointed. The story (so far) is believable and well written. The city is living and breathing and very enjoyable to inhabit. The attention to detail is remarkable: you can see bugs crawling on the ground! The voice acting is superb. As for the gameplay, the driving is great, a great mix between realistic and arcadish. The free running sections are very fun, it's great to run around jumping and sliding to evade the cops. The combat is perfect and challenging. Some may find it a little too challenging... it takes some time getting used to, but free flow with counters and environmental takedowns is just awesome (it's like Batman meets the Bourne Conspiracy). Gunplay is satisfying and focused on moving forward, since you can combine some free running and melee with it, giving a good pace to it. You can stay in cover if you want to, but it's a lot more enjoyable not to. Had this game been published by Rockstar, the reviews probably would have been better. I mean, GTA4 was good, but not as enjoyable as this game was for me... and the reviews were so biased it's not even funny. If you're looking for a solid open-world game with great gameplay and a compelling storyline, I recommend this game hands down. Expand
  2. Aug 15, 2012
    Fantastic game. Superb city that is huge and has a lot to offer. The graphics are outstanding and all of the gameplay elements work really well. Sleeper hit of 2012, no doubt in my mind.
  3. Aug 14, 2012
    Not GOTY but still better then saints row serious ignore the reviews you read on the big websites this is a game to buy

not as good as GTA but it comes very close im sure if they continue this franchise in the future it could out shine Grand theft auto
  4. Aug 14, 2012
    Great open world game with decent graphics and solid gameplay mechanics, some varied gameplay aspects in the game is good enough to build upon a new linear game on its own. Points are deducted for a bit of wonky camera, bugs and draw distances but the overall experience is fun, addicting and humorous.
  5. Aug 16, 2012
    Sleepings Dogs is just an amazing game, with a well written story and all the great qualities of a sandbox game, so hopefully this can become a well known a series as GTA and SR. If you haven't played it yet, your denying yourself from playing one of the best games of the year.
  6. Oct 12, 2012
    Ignore anyone who says this game is bad. I am extremley picky when it comes to games, i recently bought Darksiders 2 and found it boring.

This has some new elements, high speed car hijacking is fantastic. Combat is great and the graphics are fine.

If you are looking for a great story and something to entertain you until GTA V buy this game.
  7. Aug 16, 2012
    One of the best, if not the best, games of the year, Sleeping Dogs hits all the right notes in all the right places. An engaging story, well developed characters, multiple side-missions, a great balance between realism and arcade style driving, fast-paced shooting, and last, but definitely not least, an excellent hand to hand and melee weapons combat system. This game is for sure a must play this year, and who knows, it could be a contender for GOTY. Expand
  8. Aug 14, 2012
    Giving it a 9
    No matter how bad people say it is
    I still enjoy it especially I'm a Hong Kong people
    Hugh props to the developer on data researching
    With one example
    I saw a bus in the game with a no. 307 to Tai Po
    I live in Tai Po and the bus no. of the bus that go between Hong Kong Island and Tai Po is 307!
    I was stunned
  9. Aug 30, 2012
    This game owns!!! The martial arts is super sweet, if you like running around Hong Kong super kicking fools as hard as you can, I would highly suggest this beast. This one dude on the skreet looked at me funny, so i took his umbrella and beat the living heck out of him with it. Its cool cause if you start fights with people who can't fight, they will try to punch you like a woman and you simply RUIN THEIR WORLDS. If you like tooling around a foreign city, wrecking lives all day, then I would deff check this nasty mess out, the gunplay is pretty fat too, the driving is acceptable, the streets are narrow so that can be a little tough but the fighting is super nasty, i forget to do the missions most of the time cause I'm too busy WRECKING SHOP Expand
  10. Aug 15, 2012
    The Grand Theft Auto we deserve, is also the one we desperately need right now. Innovates, and reinvigorates the worn and tired genre. Truly a feat in today's gaming atmosphere.
  11. Aug 14, 2012
    Certainly very refreshing. Story is compelling and sticks to you. Living in Hong Kong myself certainly plays a part in the attractiveness as well. Chase seen is amazing.
  12. Aug 17, 2012
    This is a class game, it's different but good in its own way. Way too many people comparing it to GTA and saying it doesn't compare. But That's good, I think because GTA is such a benchmark for open world games every other open worlder is then compared to it. When I want another GTA game il buy GTA 5 and then compare that to the past GTA's. Rant over, Sleeping dogs is a different creature entirely. Gritty and violent, class graphics and good slick gameplay and fight scenes, comparable to assassins creeds fight system. The driving and gunplay are equally sick. And the slow motion is a nice feature and works well. The game is far from sluggish and who doesn't want to blaze into a fight, parkour over a market stall at breakneck speed, smashing the contents of the stall over and bowling over the shop vendor in the process, charge into a few guys, throw some sick combos in, counter a guys attack the. Charge him onto a shop counter and smash down the roller shutter through his torso. To sum up, the game is awesome, a good solid free roamer with good voice acting, believable characters and good story. All of the things a story driven game should. A good driver, shooter and fighter. And all the while you feel like a bad ass. For all those comparers out there it's a Gta, Assassins Creed, Just Cause, Max Payne, True Crime, Warriors mix, and it's good for all those reasons. Expand
  13. Aug 18, 2012
    I was expecting this game to be very good and it has proved to be an amazing game... I really love the way they have given so much oppurtunities for the gamer... Such side missions and all.... Its an amazing game.
  14. Aug 18, 2012
    I truly loved this game, from the very exciting start to the climatic ending I sat there with a look of awe, the world that the team at United Front Games did a wonderful job. I loved the characters the missions and the combat, really their was no fault that i found with the game, ya the graphics isn't on a frostbite 2 level but it was so immersing that you will not care, in fact the only other world i can think of with this much detail placed in it is Skyrim. In short it will not be the general GOTY but it will be the sleeper hit of the year, I can not wait for another chance to hope back in now if you will excuse me a second play-through is in my future. Expand
  15. Aug 15, 2012
    I've been playing for a little over 5 hours now and I'm having fun. It's definitely GTA set in Hong Kong, but still...the story is better, the fighting is 1000 times better than GTA4's fighting. The graphics are good and overall it's just a fun game with a decent story. I give it 9 out of 10 ching chongs.
  16. Sep 8, 2012
    this is gonna be the most underrated game of the year, yes, I said it, the graphics are nice and the story is extremely amazing, the combat in this game is flawless and the driving feels just right. I won't say the game is perfect, since after you complete it, there is little to nothing interesting to be done.
  17. Aug 24, 2012
    Easily one of the best open world games I've played in my life. The combat, the driving, and everything else is INCREDIBLY well done, miles ahead of the competition. The story is very good with some classic undercover cop twists, and the same goes for the rest. You should play it.
  18. Sep 11, 2012
    (in portuguese)

Sleeping Dogs é um jogo de proporções muito grandes. E consegue ser um excelente jogo, um dos melhores do ano. Um jogo enorme, com uma cidade com muito a se fazer, que desafia e recompensa o jogo a cada ação feita, a aventura de Wei Shen consegue seu lugar ao sol de um gênero muito difícil de ser acertado: o sandbox,
    principalmente por possuir uma cidade muito rica e dar desafios justos e recompensadores, tudo incrementado por um combate muito diversificado e cheio de possibilidades, um enredo bastante chamativo, músicas licenciadas de peso e gráficos muito bonitos pelo tamanho do jogo.

Check the full review at http://jogadorpensante.com/2012/09/10/netos-review-sleeping-dogs/
  19. Sep 12, 2012
    Awesome! This game has to be the best I've played in a while, whilst GTA focuses on endless pockets you can only really carry 1 gun in Sleeping Dogs. Which I think is a good thing and helps the game seem more realistic, gameplay is great and the free roam aspect is so in-depth I forget the missions are even there. 10 out of 10 and a must buy (or rent)
  20. Sep 21, 2012
    Great. I loved it. It is completely worth your time. It's not GTA but if you are looking for a fun game with a different setting to fill your time you can't go wrong with this game.
  21. Sep 30, 2012
    It's simply like GTA, just better and more rewarding fun without pointless gimmicks you won't enjoy doing over and over. One of my favorite games of the year.
  22. M1R
    Nov 12, 2012
    This game is AWESOME. To be honest, the story, characters, features and all that are GREAT. The best part of the game is the dopeness of the melee combat system. If you're the guy who plays this type of game and haven't played it before yet, I'D SAY YOU GO GRAB THIS GAME AND U WON'T REGRET IT!!!
  23. Aug 26, 2012
    I waited and followed this game since its name change to "Sleeping Dogs", being a more catchy title and signaling the end of its attachment to the dead "True Crime" series. This game is superb! The voice acting is pure quality, and helps to create a connection to the characters that flourish in this bright, neon ridden, hong kong. As you play you'll notice a smartly written script that brings these characters to life and begins a connection to these characters however this connection is weak. The city these characters inhabit breathes better than most open world games, specifically steelport (Saints Row). The citizens of this city seem as if they really had always been living there and go about their day engaging in convesations with other citizens. The gameplay is fun and grounded in aspects similar too grand theft auto 4 though and saints row, which is a perfect combo. Those who loved San Andreas will feel right at home. Those who loved both grand theft auto, red dead redemption, and saints row are guaranteed love this title. Expand
  24. Aug 27, 2012
    This game deserves to be Game of The Year in my opinion. Everything that is put in this game is amazing. The story is absolutely amazing and how it is told is amazing. The combat is fluid and fun and never gets boring. When you are done with the campaign no worries you can do the very fun activities and favors that are in the world. You can also collect the hundreds of lock boxes the world has along with the Jade statues that unlock you new moves to use in combat. A very solid title and i hope to see some dlc for this game very soon and hopefully a Sleeping Dogs 2. 10/10 Expand
  25. Aug 28, 2012
    A great game with a solid engine and batman-esque hand to hand combat. Hong Kong is recreated brilliantly with lively streets and a real Hong Kong feel. The driving aspects take a bit of getting used to as the handling can range from under to over sensitive at some points. The story is fantastically laid out and it really sucks the player into the main characters situations. One of the games of the year if not the game of the year. Expand
  26. Aug 28, 2012
    Presentation - 8.0 - Accessible story, if a little too simple. HUD and UI are very nice. Cutscenes could have been better directed though. Design - 9.5 - The best playing open world game this gen. Fantastic design choices all round, especially quick travel, easy access to vehicles and weapons and well implemented collectibles.

Gameplay -8.8 - Combat is very responsive, as is the
    vehicle action. Free running aspects work great in this urban environment. Gunplay and cover could have been better though. Slo mo is not utilized as well. Graphics - 8.2 - Nice lighting and Rain effects. Detailed buildings however npc Character models suffer accordingly to importance of the character. Some look plain horrible.

Audio - 8.5 - Classic HK cinema style score. Voices are great, but some of the song selection is very poor. Bonobo stands out as the highlight of the soundtrack. Lasting Appeal - 9.0 - There is a lot to do in this game. Side missions and favours are nicely paced and provide a nice break from the main campaign, which is a little on the short side. Overall 8.8/10
  27. Aug 25, 2012
    So yes, it doesn't do anything technically groundbreaking and isn't nearly as pretty and vibrant as GTA the holy grail of OWGs, but what Sleeping Dogs has in spades is character. Wei Shen is easily the most well crafted protagonist ever seen in an OWG. Where Saints Row and GTA give you flat, one dimensional character to play with, Sleeping Dogs ups the Ante by giving you someone who has nuance. And that nuance doesn't end wit Wei, its all over the game. The story is almost RPG good, some of the major NPCs are really well fleshed out. And though it would have been even nicer if the romance option had been given more attention, perhaps even a significant portion of the plot, the fact that they did try their hand at the whole dating business bodes well for the inevitable sequel.
    Its a flawed game, that much is clear, there's a lot to do but it gets repetitive, you can action hijack an armored van just so many times before it becomes boring, but to its credits, sleeping dogs does not make any of the boring stuff mandatory. Its only filler for achievement hunters. That stuff hat moves the story along is emotionally engaging and satisfying at every turn, without fail. And this is the best thing about this game, its a vehicle to tell a story as opposed to Saintsrow in which the story is used as an afterthought to facilitate mass scale destruction. Even GTA IV, which is exceptional in every department did not tell a tale as well as it supplemented the making of mayhem. I have very high hopes for GTA V, but out of the blue, United Front has thrown down the gauntlet and done it with class, poise and authority. Saintsrow really needs to watch out.
  28. Aug 16, 2012
    love this game. has character. not as polished as GTA but GTA is getting stale. even though GTA has different location themes, they feel like the same game with tweaks. not saying its better than GTA but people who dismiss this because theyre GTA fans are missing out.
  29. Aug 24, 2012
    To be honest, I am not a big fan of open world games. But Sleeping Dog hooked me, with an engaging narrative and some pretty good game mechanics. The counter system is a little bit too sensitive for my liking, but the melee feels pretty good. Kudos for the typical third person shooting segments. What makes it even greater is the great atmosphere: you feel that you are living in an actual Hong Kong action movie. The casts were also very good, and while the production values aren't up there with other triple A titles such as Max Payne or GTA, they are still pretty great. Another highlight is its plot; which reminds you of the best in HK cinemas of the 90's. One of the best game of 2012. Expand
  30. Aug 27, 2012
    This week i played through sleeping dogs a game where you play as an undercover cop working with the triads in china. From the cars to the free running, this game is one of the most fluid games I have ever played from this genre. I can try to compare it to GTA 4 or even Saints Row, but its got a feel all its own. In the beginning your just doing your job as a cop, but as you go along the lines become blurred. By the end of the game your unsure which side you should be on.

The only real problem in this game is the camera. When your driving around and decide to flip a 180 next to a wall it likes to get stuck or zoom in really fast and back out and you lose control. When your in a gun fight and you crouch behind a wall the camera likes to only aim one way and when that
  31. Aug 26, 2012
    Scratching and clawing for its existance, the open world prodigy formerly known as True Crime Hong Kong has now been given a new identity and a new publisher. For what seems like development turmoil has actually worked in Sleeping Dogs' favour as it's the freshest open world game in some time. Sleeping dogs has some of the best combat ever seen in the open world game genre and boasts influences from GTA, Saints Row, Batman and Yakuza to great effect throughout. The only sticking points are the absense of a true sense of its own identity, often leaning towards inspired games rather than its own game. Also some missions are rather pointless and meandering like when you show a rapper about town, despite being a welcome change of pace. With the scant number of open world games to ponder this year, Sleeping Dogs is ripe for a good playthrough and it doesn't disappoint in the slightest. Collapse

1. Jan 14, 2013
    Sleeping Dogs had been in development as the next installment of Activision's "True Crime" franchise but the publisher ceased funding and cancelled it. Square Enix turned up to salvage the project and Sleeping Dogs was the result. The fact it turned out as good as it did -- that it's executed so well, performs as well as it does, sets the bar for open world combat and driving -- made Sleeping Dogs, story stumbles aside, the most surprising game of 2012.
  2. Sep 23, 2012
    As much as it may lack polish and finesse, Sleeping Dogs makes up for its minor shortcomings with pure entertainment. [Issue#89,p.78]
  3. Sep 18, 2012
    Sleeping Dogs is an addictive diamond in the rough with a compelling story and insane combat only slightly let down by poor driving and racing mechanics. [Oct 2012, p.54]