8.6

1. Dec 17, 2011
    This game was amazing BEFORE it's well-deserved remake. The new engine allows the game to run smoothly (even in the special stages) - it supports wide screen, and has a vast array of other options (old/new spindash, JP/US soundtrack, screen filters) that allow you to tune the game to your liking. The achievements encourage multiple play-throughs, and unlockables will keep you busy a while after that.

Over all, an EXCELLENT remake - I can only hope sega will continue the current upward trend - Here's hoping they'll give the Genesis trilogy the same treatment!
  2. Dec 16, 2011
    This is the best version ever made of Sonic CD, a masterpiece of platforms games. It's very cheap and it has been improved in every aspect. Visually has a wide-screen 16:9 ratio and HD pixel filters. For the first time you can choose either the American or the Japanese soundtrack, and every theme is perfectly looped. Game-play has improved as well, you can choose between the Sonic CD or the Mega Drive Spin Dash, Tails is playable and the whole game runs at 60 fps, which are helpful on the Special Stages.

This is the best version of the best Sonic game, and it's really cheap, so I recommend this game to every Sonic fan and all gamers of platforming games.
  3. Jan 2, 2012
    This is possibly the Best sonic game ever made even after nearly 20 years so what the hell are you waiting for Go buy it you won't be dissapointed (FIGURE 8 FTW)
  4. Jan 18, 2012
    A great XBLA game, had been wishing for this to come out there as I never got a chance the first time round, finally playing it, it was a breath of fresh air to finally play a good old school sonic again. Special stages are unique, travelling through time is cool and the level design for the most part is on par with the other sonics if not surpassing it in some places. This is the pinnacle of Sonic and a masterpiece, loads to unlock a time and score trial leaderboard for each level and the game to compare times to rest of the world, the japanese and american soundtracks both fully included all bundled up in a package amazingly valued at just 400 MS points!! Do yourself a favour and pick this up!! Collapse
  5. Jan 27, 2012
    This is easily the most underrated Sonic game of all time and would be Sonics crowning achievement if it wasn't for Sonic 2 in my opinion. Either way this is unmissable for fans of Sonic and great 2D platformers.
  6. Jan 24, 2012
    They did an absolutely phenomenal job recreating this already fantastic game. I feel it could not have gone over any better. Everything in the game has been cleaned up, crispified, and such.
  7. Mar 17, 2012
    The original game on the Sega CD was great, and absolutely a blast to play. Yeah, the whole "Go back in time to destroy the boxes" was annoying, but you could always get the time stones. This port takes a good game and absolutely shatters the expectations with new features galore. A playable Tails, improves special stages, leaderboards, BOTH soundtracks, multiple saves games, and the most obvious, widescreen support. Christian "Taxman" Whitehead's Retro engine is indistinguishable with the Genesis engine, and the widescreen support really helps out. So why isn't this a 10? Well, the port has two problems: One, the widescreen support helps out in giving you the ability to defeat bosses easier because you can use space that wasn't usable in 1993, and there is a glitch in the leaderboards where you can use the time from your last checkpoint to the goalpost as your leaderboard score rather than your actual time. But, this is one of the BEST classic ports yet. If a 2D Sonic game was released on the new engine, it would be a day one buy for me. Expand
  8. Dec 27, 2011
    This game is the most absolutely brutal thing I've ever come across. Do not buy! The new game engine is poorly designed which completely ruins the gameplay, and the wide-screen 16:9 ratio makes a blurry, pixelated game even harder to see.
  9. May 27, 2012
    Awesome game. It stays true to the original, but it feels newer. Maybe it's the improved collision detection? The better graphics? Or is it the spindash? Maybe the faster Super Peel Out? Or maybe it's all of them. One of the best Sonic games ever made has been remade. I didn't think it was possible, but they made it even better.
  10. Jun 11, 2012
    Best sonic game ever. Period. There would be no contest if you pitted this up against Sonic 1. Not to mention that the remake has enough new features to keep you coming back for months to come.
  11. Feb 21, 2012
    game play is based around the original sonic the hedgehog, game play isn't different at all but plays better than sonic1, boss fights are easier to figure out and feel less over whelming than sonic 1. The bonus levels also are very new unlike most of the rest of the game, they're . the major difference is that the game tries to be "3 Dimensional " at some parts. in a nutshell this game is sonic 1 with the bonus levels being replaced by sonic 3D-esque levels Expand
  12. Dec 28, 2011
    Sonic CD is finally on the XBLA after a time of being hard to find, with only a few PC and Gamecube/PS2 ports to speak of. It plays as wonderfully as the original Sonic games, with new features, some exclusive to this remake. The key to gameplay this time is to find either the Past or Future markers in each stage and then sprint fast enough to jump forward or back in time, revealing different versions of each level, adding re-playability. The new options like the revamped Spin Dash and the choice of the Japanese or US soundtrack makes it worthy even if you've played the original to death. With the exception of an amazing memorable (and fast) boss race later in the game, most of the boss fights are sadly lacking and easy, but this game is still very much worth your time. Expand
  13. Feb 10, 2012
    Sonic Cd is a great port to download. It has the options for the Japanese and American soundtracks. I like how everything move so smoothly and you even get to play as tails. TAILS, that is awesome. so go download it if your a sonic lover.
  14. Feb 13, 2012
    The sonic curse continues. Hey SEGA, the last good sonic game I played was on the Genesis! The controls, feel and gameplay were all much better then. I'm not a hater, but I just can't figure out why it's so hard to do justice to this IP and create a decent game. Even a rehash of a once-loved game doesn't live up to the original Sonic CD. Unless you are a die-hard, give this one a pass.
  15. Nov 19, 2012
    Sonic CD is by far one of the best, and more interesting games SEGA has ever made. It features the old Sonic gameplay you remember back on the Genesis, but it features a story featuring a new rival for Sonic, saving Amy Rose, and time traveling that puts the player in control of making a good or bad future for each zone. The game starts off just as it should in a Green Hill-esque zone called Palmtree Panic which the player can easily get used to the game in, but later & later in the game it turns up the difficulty to the perfect level as you progress through the game. This re-release not only has the beautiful HD, but also makes all fans of the game happy by including a feature to select the American or Japanese version of the sound track, which both are great (but I do prefer the US soundtrack since I grew up with it). This HD re-release was so good, I've bought it literally on each platform it was released on. Expand
  16. Sep 21, 2014
    Sonic CD is Sonic's third game, and it was released in 1993. And it is a game that is very divided in the fanbase, some people love it and believe it's the best game in the series, while others believe that it's a badly made mess. I am personally in the middle, I got enjoyment out of the original version of Sonic CD, despite the bad collision detection and choppy special stages, but this remake however is much better than the original.

The gameplay differs slightly from traditional Sonic titles, while Sonic himself has not seen any major changes, he controls the same as Sonic 2 with the two exceptions, first being the super peel-out, which is basically the spin-dash, which he also has, but is butchered compared to Sonic 2. The level design however, compared to most titles are very large vertically. And you are encouraged to search for the robot generators. To find them you have to make use of the games time traveling feature, by running through sign posts and gaining enough speed, you can travel between the past, present and future, the only time period you should go to is the past, that is, if you are going for the robot generators in every level. If you're not interested in that you can also go after the time stones, by collecting 50 rings and getting to the end of the level, you can get a time stone. If you get them all, you automaticly get a good future. Now to talk about what this remake fixes, first of the game runs on a new engine, which runs the game at 60 fps at all times, and fixes many of the technical issues that the original game had.

Graphically this game is much more appealing to the eye than the first two game, thanks to the sega CD's more powerful hardware. We are also given two animated cutscenes, animated by Toei Animation, which are very nicely animated.

The Japanese soundtrack is fantastic, it's catchy, and and incredibly memorable. It is in my opinion, the highly superior soundtrack, as I never really had an attachment to the American soundtrack in all honesty. Not to say that they're are not good tracks in it, There is just not many that stand out to me.

Overall, I find that this remake has made me like Sonic CD alot more than I did before, thanks to the better engine. The game also on top of that is still keeps everything that was good about the original and more. The graphics still look as great as they did before, but include settings to make things smoother, the remake also includes the Japanese soundtrack, but it also includes the American soundtrack for those who like it more, It also includes a setting to change the spindash from the original Sonic CD one and the one from Sonic 2. Which I like. I highly recommend this remake.

Overall
    - 8/10
  17. Jul 7, 2014
    it doesnt have a big story but i feel the custenes so real and epic
    This game have the best soundtrack ever made
    the concept of time travel, the machines of past and metal sonic s holograms is just awesome
    PUT A QUANTUM SONIC WOULD BE PERFECT
  18. Jan 18, 2012

If you missed the old days when Sega MegaDrive was the ruling console you now have the chance to understand why the blue hedgehog was so popular. [Jan 2012]
  2. Feb 15, 2012