5.5

1. Oct 13, 2010
    Sega managed to almost make me cry - with sadness. I've been longing for a real 2D Sonic since Sonic & Knuckles came out. I even had a name for it: "Sonic 4". Well, years later they came up with Sonic 4. Let me break it down here: Sound FX: 10/10. They are the actual Genesis-Era blips. Music: 10/10. Superb work, kept the spirit of the original catchy songs. Level Design: 10/10. It really feels like a Sonic level, after all this years. Graphics: 5/10. Level graphics are good, but Sonic's model looks dumb, and didn't quite match the games graphic style. 2.5D didn't do the trick, this time. Finally, Controls: 0/10. It's just wrong. There is no inertia, especially when jumping. It doesn't control like Sonic. In fact, it doesn't control like anything I ever played. You release the D-Pad, Sonic stops. Like Pitfall. Nothing should control like Pitfall in 2010, let alone a game in a franchise know for its high quality gameplay.
    I really hope Sega fix that. I could also ask for some vintage skins for Sonic's model, but that would be just a fluff. The important thing here is the controls, and Sega managed to destroy the whole thing with a few lines of code.
    Score: (10+10+10+5+0) / 5 = 7
    7 * how bad the controls are = 2
  2. Oct 21, 2010
    I have been dying for this game for a long time... I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. However... it sucks. It just sucks. I played the original Sonic 1, 2, and 3. I played Sonic and Knuckles. They were fun, and part of it was the freaking controls and sense of speed. Now? Not so much. Those reviews that are defending so harshly... I literally can't imagine why. At best it is an average experience. Most of the time? It is almost unplayable and boring. Oh well. Back to fire up my Genesis collection on my 360. Expand
  3. Oct 15, 2010
    This game reminds me of the Monkey Island remakes, you know, taking something amazing and spitting on it with a makeover filled with hideous graphics. Sonic doesn't feel fast anymore, not even after hitting a boost or the speed technique. The way he's animated and the physics of it all just make it seem slow, boring and ugly. You know there's a problem when a game like Sonic 3, made over 10 years ago, looks better than one made today. I don't know how they put these games out and expect people to like them. It's like they don't care. "I know how to make more money, since we can't make a decent original game, let's release a new classic Sonic game and the fans will eat it up". Pathetic.. Expand
  4. Oct 14, 2010
    Absolutely awful. Seriously. I was so excited for Sonic 4, downloaded it, and was frustrated by the middle of the 1st level. The homing mechanic is more aggravating than helpful, and the physics feel NOTHING like the original Sonic games. If you don't believe me, watch this video. The footage speaks for itsself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-1cGzPn3E The only thing they got right is the graphics are pretty, and the music is decent, which is why I gave them a 2. Expand
  5. Oct 18, 2010
    Sonic 4 is a great error. There is more to do real benchmarking and reviews on youtube, phisics are bad, boring music, recycling levels and very few ideas. If we look at Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic CD and Sonic & Knuckles see that there is a positive progression. Great levels, great difficulty, secrets ... all that is lost completely. Sonic 4 is a remix of the classics without any funding as a continuation of a legendary saga. A Sonic 4 is not as bright as Sonic 2D platform deserves nothing. Bad, bad, bad, VERY BAD Sega.

Autotarget + wrong phisics + no new ideas for a new sonic = Fail

Mediocre for a game with a name like Sonic 4.
  6. Oct 14, 2010
    What's with all the hate for this game? I have replayed the Mega Drive classics many times over and Sonic 4 isn't much worse. Sure, maybe it's not quite as great, but it comes pretty damn close. I have no problem with the physics or the homing attack. It's not the same, but it does feel a lot like you're playing the Mega Drive games. The biggest difference, which I noticed as soon as I started playing, was that if you let go of the D-pad in mid-air after jumping, you fall straight down. But after that it never effected me. I never stopped holding down the D-pad in mid-air, and it felt normal. In fact, in a couple of places this feature comes in handy (like when doing speed-runs or precise platforming). So to me it played a lot like the Mega Drive games, but with a homing attack (which I really like BTW). The visuals, aside from being 2.5D HD, are very reminicent of the old games (Sonic's spines aside, but if you really care, get a life), the music is just like the Mega Drive games, and the sound effects are too. Sonic has returned... But I do have a slight niggle. This thing is 1200 MS points. A tad much for the ammount of content, but I feel it was worth it.

If you've never played a 2D Sonic game, go play Sonic 2. If you like it, get the others and this. I feel it is a worthy entry to the series. Final verdict: 87%
  7. Oct 15, 2010
    I hate this game, i really, really hate it...

Sega wasn't happy enough destroying Modern Sonic, now they had to destroy the Classic Games too. This game is a unplayable abomination that isn't worth your time or money. Clunky controls, poor collision detection, awful level design, horrible music and unchallenging levels and bosses are only the beginning of your problems with this terrible
    adventure. Why Sega? Why? Expand
  8. Oct 14, 2010
    Sonic is back and ruined forever!!! Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is quite possibly the worst Sonic the Hedgehog game ever! The music composition is horribly disgusting and the gameplay itself is so low paced that a tortoise could accelerate faster. The graphics are not much better either, I know that Sonic Team is trying to update the appearance of Sonic but to be honest this new Sonic design and program moves like "Paper Mario". I'm sorry to say this (as I am a great fan of Sonic the Hedgehog and friends) but if you spend any microsoft points (or money) on this you might as well be throwing your funds down the porcelain pee hole! Expand
  9. Oct 15, 2010
    For a game trying to throw it back to the Genesis days it fails to nail many of the things that made that game great. The clunky controls and physics fail to convince me I'm playing a Sonic game or a Mario game for that matter.
  10. Nov 6, 2010
    As an old-skool Sonic fan, I was elated to find that Sonic Team claimed to be returning to Sonic's roots. Once I downloaded the demo and then played the full version at a friend's house however, I saw otherwise.

As many people have mentioned, Sonic lacks inertia, or momentum. This means Sonic does not move as quickly or as smoothly as in his Genesis days. It feels more like you're
    controlling a plastic toy shaped like Sonic the Hedgehog. Those of you who have played the 2D Sonic games will know exactly what I'm talking about, its similar to the way that experienced drivers can tell how different vehicles handle. In this case, utter trash handling.

The level designs are pretty vanilla. They have the looks of the old games but something just doesn't feel right about the enemy placements.

The graphics are decent. Texture-wise Sonic looks a bit shiny and the animations seem off, but graphically the medium-poly models work fine for a Sonic game.

The homing-attack may be considered another flaw, depending on personal preference. I would say to just ignore this feature, but there are times when you'll need to use the homing attacks on a succession of enemies to cross a gap or make it from Point A to Point B.

Overall, this game feels like it tried to return to its roots, but too much "creative leeway" and poor choices kept it from being the best it could be. Note: I did not complain about the length of the game as I understand they want to release the game in installments/episodes so they can push the games out quicker, and possibly rectify issues early on/take feedback on Episode 1 and correct for Episode 2, 3, etc.

As a 21 year old, old-skool Sonic fan, with years of experience playing tons of different video games, including the 3D Sonic games, I almost ironically give Sonic 4

-CyberToyger
  11. Oct 15, 2010
    please people do not listen to the idiot noob sonic fans. sonic 4 is wonderful. the only problem i have with this game..is that it short. sonic fans always want to find somtheing to **** about and it's annoying. 2D works for sonic very well, and it's how sonic should have been all these years. there's only about teny tiny mixed reviews of sonic 4 & a few STUPID BAD ONES. and aLOT of good ones. sega finally got the hint and listen to the fans. the games is just pure sonic fun/ the music is great/ no **** story/ no bunch of lame characters! just SONIC!!! all we want is SONIC.episode 1 is just the begining.i can't wait for ep 2 to come out. great job sega, and welcome back sonic. Expand
  12. Oct 18, 2010
    I had high hopes, bought the game and seemed like all the nitpicking and whining alot of fans had been shouting was true from the beginning.

I am so dissapointed and feel ripped off big time. People that like this game have no taste in quality and I believe are mostly fanboys. Sonicteam needs to stop listening to them fanboys because they are one of the reasons why sonicteam doesn't get
    encouraged to put effort in their games. This game deserves all the negativity it's getting and I hope less people will make the same mistake as I have.

This game sucks.
  13. Oct 19, 2010
    VERY POOR SHOW SEGA. This is NOT Sonic 4.

Incompetence from Sammy/SEGA. Someone who has a clue, needs to take Sega away from Sammy and deliver the goods, starting with Sonic, Daytona and Streets of Rage.

INCOMPETENCE!
  14. Oct 28, 2010
    Sonic 4's level design is atrocious. You can't build any substantial amount of speed without either hitting something or falling off the bottom of the map. There seem to be a lot of "puzzles", which require dexterous jumping and occasionally timing, but they offer no challenge to anybody who has ever played a platform game. To add insult to injury, the graphics aren't even as good as the fan-made "Sonic Fan Remix" game. This game may be fun for children, but most gamers will find it boring and slightly frustrating. Expand
  15. May 11, 2011
    "Short and to the point" is what Sega was trying to go for with the all-but-glorious return of everyone's favorite speedy blue hedgehog. With a soundtrack to die of, impossible physics, and a cell-shading job done in MS Paint for Windows: ME, this atrocity is a great start for anyone under the age of 4. For hardcore fans from Sonic's glory days it's a better idea to go out to your local Wal-Mart and rummage through the $15.00 and under bin for a copy of "Sonic Classic Collection" for DS. Though a step in the right direction, it's a step made on an ant hill. If you have 1200 MS points and you're tempted to buy this, I have one word for you: DON'T! Spend you're money on Super Meat Boy, or Sonic Adventure (with the DX expansion). However, if you buy it during a sale, and it's 400 points, go ahead and feel free knowing you didn't waste an extra 10 bucks. Expand
  16. May 17, 2011
    I hate this game! broken not fun they over charge you for this and they will not even be coming out with sonic ep 2. why are you even going to waste your money? for shame!!!
  17. Oct 16, 2010
    I found Sonic 4 to be a bit of a mixed bag - there were things I really liked about it, and other things that definitely need improvement. Positives? Well I have to say it's visually stunning - the stages look wonderful, especially the Labyrinth levels. I also like how they carried over cues from Sonic 3 by having each act of a stage having slight variations on music/visuals that keeps things fresh as you progress through the game. The game also has wonderful level design, with huge chunky stages with multiple paths to be explored, which is great for replay and time attack junkies. Problems? Well it does seem a bit on the short side - but then if you compare it to Sonic 1 it does have fewer stages, but the levels are much bigger so overall it's about the same size. Also, the difficulty progression is way off. 90% of the game is far too easy - by the final stage you should easily have 30+ lives, and then the final stage presents a huge difficulty spike that comes out of nowhere, leaving the game feeling somewhat unbalanced. The physics. Boy - the physics. A lot of people have said the physics are game breaking and terrible, and granted they need improvement but they are not that bad. There seems to be some issues with the spin dash practically stopping if you go off an edge, jumps halting in mid-air if you let go of the direction, and being able to to stand and spin-dash on near vertical surfaces. However none of these are game breaking really, and only arise on occasion or if you are looking for such things. Other things? Special stages are fun if a bit frustrating, Sonic's animations are good for the most part but his running seems wrong (initially he moves faster than his animation makes it appear and his full speed animation frankly looks obnoxious, but hey...). Homing attack is a welcome addition in my opinion - it gives the exploration a bit more scope when you notice a 'lock on' to something out of reach. Music is ok - really liked the Labyrinth tunes, but the Dr Eggman theme 1 is frankly rubbish.
    Overall I think the game is worth playing, so long as you're willing to accept it's not going to live up to the Sonic 4 that's in your head. I feel it's definately a step in the right direction, but there are certainly a few more steps to go before this series is back on track. Hopefully Episode 2 will be closer.
  18. Sep 6, 2011
    It has some good ideas, Lost Labyrinth's torch level for example, but goddamn, the broken gameplay and the stupidly excessive rehash just crushed all hopes Sonic 4 had of becoming a good game.
  19. Oct 9, 2011
    This is easily the worst 2D Sonic game ever made. It does almost everything wrong, the visuals are ugly and have no personality at all since they're just carbon copies of Sonic 1 and 2, the physics are horrible, you don't earn your speed like in the classics... Speaking of that, there is no speed whatsoever, Sonic moves way too slow by itself and spindashing is pointless because doing so only makes Sonic slower than he already was before, how did they fix that? They made a horrible automatic level design full of boost pads where you barely interact with Sonic, you can just put your controller down and watch as the game plays itself for you several times, you'll just have to hit chains of enemies with Homing Attack, which gets repetitive and it's not even challenging at all, and the boss fights are also copies of Sonic 1 and 2, but with some pitch movie at the end, was that lack of creativity or what?
    These and many other are the reasons why Sonic the Hedgehog 4 fails not only at being a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but at being a Sonic game in itself, it's just an abomination that should never have made it to this generation.
  20. Oct 9, 2011
    To be short and simple, Sonic 4 just really isn't worth anyone's time. It has no progression, the levels look like they're made of plastic and Sonic's animations are awful, but the gameplay is also bad, the "moon jump" feels awkward at best, the physics are non-existent, you can make Sonic stand on walls, slopes, walk through loops and the most laughable thing about this game: It has no inertia, if you roll downhill, Sonic will lose speed instead of going faster, this game is at it's best when you just pass through a dash pad and let the game play itself.

And this is Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1, an epic failure on every level.
  21. Oct 19, 2010
    Overall, this game has stunning graphics and includes a new weapon in Sonic's Arsenal, the homing attack. Other than that, that's about it. There isn't much in this game for 1200 Microsoft points. All the zones, Acts, enemies and bosses were derived from parts of other games, like for example the crushing wall you see in Sonic 3, the old yellow landscape with the water from Sonic 1, and the annoying star enemy from Sonic 2. I've pleased to at least complete the game, but as I only did it in 2 days, there isn't much lasting appeal. Expand
  22. Oct 17, 2010
    I don´t understand all the hate for this game. Sure it isn't perfect, music could be much better and it should have more levels and not based on the old ones, but the controls are good, I don't get why most of people say the game's physics are wrong, the little differences with the originals don't alter gameplay in any significant way. The homing attack adds variety to the game, but the game does not force you to use it, you can jump just like old times.

I've been playing the classic games for years over and over again and I don't see Sonic faster than in this game, in fact I would say it was slower. In many sections you would need precision and timing just like any other platformer, but in this game that's not very usual.

As a fan, I expect a much better Episode 2 from Sega, but I won't say this game is bad because I am a whiner and I'll never be satisfied with anything that isn't EXACTLY like 15 years ago.
  23. Oct 19, 2010
    I was always very fond of the old Sonic games, every few months i play one of them. The recent Sonic games not so much, i never thought it worked to well in 3D, and i found the stories to be embarrissing. So i was really looking toward this game, and i wasn't disappointed.
    The graphics are pretty, the sound is similar to the old games. The music is good, but it might not be as catchy as
    some of the old tunes (but maybe that's just nostalgia).
    The physics may be different, but i honestly don't think it is a big deal. The first three parts already played somewhat differently to each other, and Sonic 4 is more of an evolution than a total change. There are a few hick-ups, like stopping spin-dashs, or standing on slopes, but this occurs rather seldom. The homing attack (which i was afraid of) actually enriches the gameplay. To master the game a good combination of normal jumps and homing attacks is required.
    The level design is nostalgic. Zone 1 resembles Green Hill, zone 2 Casino Night, zone 3 Labyrinth and zone 4 Metropolis. While this has spawned some criticism that the game delivers nothing new, that's not true. Every act of this zones delivers new elements to the gameplay, making the game very varied. The new special stages are challenging, but fair. The overall difficulty varies a little. While it's never possible to let your guard down, some parts are rather easy, while others are hard. The endgame can be frustrating.
    So i give this game 8 out of 10 points. It might not be a perfect platformer, but a very entertaining one, and a worthy successor to the old games.
  24. Oct 28, 2010
    SEGA has broken the Sonic-Cycle with this, although this game is short, this is much like a classic Sonic game, as Sonic should be. All the best things out of Sonic games is displayed here: good graphics, ace music, frustration (lol), and SONIC! :)
  25. Nov 11, 2010
    it's a mean, cruel joke to give this game anything less than a positive review, what people don't understand is that sonic was NEVER fast, he might occasionally zip down a hill quickly, he still does that in 4, the controls are perfect, and sonic's "new look" has been this way since 1998 in sonic adventure... not so new, and it's cooler, so get used to it. there's little more to say, the game plays just like the old games, it is a sequel after all so i expect changes, all of which were great, amazing game. Expand
  26. Oct 9, 2011
    Just as fun as cutting your hand off with a sword, dang, i miss the days when Sonic games weren't broken pieces of **** I'm still hoping Episode 2 turns out to be good despit this horrible crap.
  27. Oct 17, 2010
    Though this isn't exactly the best Sonic game, it is still a good start on what I expect to be a very good episodic saga. Yes, the physics are different. No, they are not bad. At all. Though Sonic starts out very slow, it is pretty easy to keep from having to stop, even if you can't, using the homing jump will provide you with a quick boost to get past the slow start. The levels are alright too. They aren't original or anything, but they are still fun,and since this game is just the experimental first part that is acceptable. The only level that was bad was the the 2nd labyrinth zone, but that still was not near as bad as any of the recent sonic games. In all, it's a fairly decent start to sonic 4, and I hope the Sonic Team takes the criticism and turns it into a great rest of the game. Expand
  28. Oct 17, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 is a great game. I'm glad that the game goes back to Sonic's roots. It plays almost like the classics and yes I said almost because the physics are a little different. Now different doesn't mean it's bad. It is a little weird to see Sonic sometimes walking on a slope and gravity can be on the floaty side. But even still It doesn't break the game at all. Infact it makes SuperSonic much more controlable than the Genesis games. Physics aside. The controls of the game are spot on. It's pretty much as you remembered it on the Genesis. The Spindash is useful once again and the homing attack is a welcomed addition to the 2D gameplay. Episode 1 only contains 4 zones with 3 acts each along with a boss act. Now that may sound short, But considering the amount of acts per zones and the length that some require. Episode 1 can arguably be the same length as Sonic The Hedgehog 3 (Alone). All the levels are based on zones from Sonic 1 & 2 with elements from Sonic 3. Splash Hill Zone is basicly Green Hill Zone with swinging ropes and a beautful sunset Act 3. Casino Street Zone is Casino Night Zone but more casino themed with slots in Act 1, Cards in Act 2, & Sonic 3's cannons in Act 3. Lost Labyrinth Zone is well the name speaks for itself but not as dangerous as the original with a unique act 2 with a torch and mine carts. Mad Gears Zone! Metropolis Zone anyone?. And finally Egg Station Zone which is an boss rush version of Death Egg Zone and that pretty much it. Graphicly, Sonic 4 is a very pretty game. All the enviroments look great and nostalgic. Same goes for the sound effects. 16 bit sounds never get old. But sadly the same can't be said for the music. While the soundtrack is good in it's own right. most tracks are heavily forgetable and some feel out of place. Yeah! sure it's nice to bring back a lost boss track from Sonic 3D Blast. But it's feel extremely out of place. As with all 2D Sonic titles. The Chaos Emeralds are hidden inside special stages and once you collect them all. Super Sonic can be played in all levels which I am very happy to see coming back. Episode 1 is a great game as well as a nostalgic one. But I do think Sega went too far on nostalgia. I mean a nostalgia game is nice and it's about the right time for one, But in Episode 1 Nostalgia is all it is. Hardly any original content whats so ever. Now the new twists and turns on the levels and bosses are creative but alot of them we have already seen in previous handheld titles. Also after completing the game their not much else there. Time Attack is a nice feature and completing for best time and score on the leaderboards are cool. But after all that theirs not much reason to play Episode 1. Until future Episodes come. Theirs not much else to say about this game since this is only Episode 1. We only have a taste of what Sonic The Hedgehog 4 will be. Overall this is a great game but it's not by all means perfect. The physics are noticably different, It's alittle short, The great overuse of nostalgia. Also Episode 1 lacks Tails and Knuckles. Come on Sega, I miss those guys. It's been almost 5 years since Sonic 06. No more Sonic solo games. We need them back. But with those flaws and nickpicks aside it's a great game and worthy of the name Sonic 4. And it's only the beginning.....â Expand
  29. Oct 20, 2010
    Sonic the Hedgehog 4 manages to captivate tha feeling and type of game of the past Mega Drive 16 bit era. The game is the first one after Sonic and Knuckles to actually remind us that "sonic-ing" does not mean mindless running but a combination of running and stopping to do sone accurate jumping or clever platforming. These are elements that are found in the new sonic game. I love the music in some -but not all- levels. The soundtrack of the first level is very unique and within the spirit of sonic music. I also like the labyrinth zone music and oh- the bosses rhythm!

The graphics of Sonic 4 have kept the spirit of the series and they do not try to do something "new". This is a good thing. They manage tyo captivate the classic artwork wothout exaggerations (that can be found in some soniv fan games). The graphics are hi-def colorful, clear, detailed, with some wellcoming sparse 3d use (see cards in Casino Zone) that is just enough and should not be overused.
    Sonic sprite is similar to the old good sonic. It is neither too childish (sonic advance) nor too angry. Personally I very much like the fast running effect of his legs and the faithful upgrade of the "almost falling", "look up-down" and die animations. Regarding the gameplay I would like to distinctly refer to the following parameters
    Controls: sonic accelerates slowly, this is not a problem. in fact I find it helpful when i want to make more accurate moves in platforming bits of the game. Once sonic starts running fast the experience is faithful to the classic sonic series. Sonic is not slow. Instead he is more controllable and it is a pitty that many reviewers disagree with this point. When running forward button should constantly be pressed and this is neither good nor bad. Actually I was used in holding forward button all time when sonic runs, so when I firstly played the game, I didn't even notice this issue. Finally the dash attack is a very welcome addition but what could be exluded is the supported forward moving while on air.

Level design: the levels are finally what I would like to see in a 2d sonic. Not too fast not to cumbersome. They are also multipath and this add replay value to the game. What I certainly didn't like is the free level selection. The surprise "what's next" feeling is not there in sonic 4.

Difficulty: way too easy. No reason for sooo many lives. Didn't SEGA notice this before the release. The replay of early levels 5-6 times is enough to collect 30 extra lives! The result is that the game can be completed in few hours. There are some tricky bits in some levels. They are so fun that I would certainly replay them from scratch once the Game Over appers. The final boss is tricky. But not so tricky if you get there with 30 extra lives. Other than this, it is a very fun final boss.

To conclude, the game is a very good sequel to sonic and knuckles, and I consider it as an actual sequel. I would like to see the forthcoming episodes and I really want to see a retail edition with the whole game in the end, at a reasonable price! If I was to give detailed rankings to the game, the scores would be as follows:
    Graphics 8.5
    Sound 8
    Gameplay 9
    Replay Value 8
    Score 9

If you have any questions regarding this review, you can email me at
    dimitriszikos@gmail.com
  30. Nov 26, 2010
    "OMG, Sonic doesn't run fast enough" "OMG Sonic has a homing attack now!" Please just get real. This was the Sonic Game i was waiting for, iam a Hardcore sonic fan and i have to say that this game was Awesome. Now let me get Some thing's out of the way: I Loved Sonic Adventures, I liked Sonic Heroes, I Hated Sonic 06 and i thought Sonic Unleashed was Ok! And now i think Sonic 4 Episode 1 is Awesome, and this is just Episode 1 so you know, Episode 2 will be even better! For now, if your a TRUE Sonic fan,Download it Because it is Nostalgic Awesomeness at its Best! Expand
  31. Nov 1, 2011
    Horrible physics, this game haven't relation with classic sonic games in the gameplay, storyline, and the music instrumentation.
    This game doesn't made the function to continue the Sonic 3 & Knuckles history(repetead levels) and gameplay, but the IDEIA to do a classic game was good
  32. Jul 5, 2011
    A decent attempt at trying to bring sonic back to his glory days. There are a few little things that niggle away at me though, Visually the game has some excellent scenery and enemies, sonic himself seems a little stretched though. The toon style colouring didnt help too much either, it made the game look a little tacky and cheap.

Gameplay some of the classic and new elements worked very
    well. The lack of any kind of ease in and ease out when moving through the air was a little unusual. Felt like you were in a Zero G enviroment.

Still a much better installment in the series unlike Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Heroes, Sonic The Hedgehog (2006). Look forward to the second part
  33. Oct 17, 2010
    Sega managed to NOT destroy a Sonic game finally! They also managed NOT to return Sonic to Genesis greatness either. Sonic seems slow, slow, slow. Jumping has been slowed down as well as the running which causes a few unwarranted deaths. The updated graphics are a minimal upgrade at best. The worst part is the game bears the coveted name "Sonic the Hedgehog 4." This IS NOT Sonic 4. A more fitting title would have been "Sonic Remix." The game cost $15/1200 MS points and only features 4 zones...the EXACT 4 zones from Sonic part 1 with a few changes here and there. In the end, only the most DEDICATED Sonic fans will fall in love again with the world's most famous Blue Bullet. Expand
  34. Oct 18, 2010

This game **** sucks.
  35. Nov 20, 2010
    I absolutely love this game and is definately old school sonic, that being said that isn't completely a good thing. If you've played older sonics (1,2,3 and knuckles) when you first pop in sonic 4...u literally feel like that, your playing a game that is sonic 1, 2, 3 and knuckles. The levels are all meant to reminisce of these games and even the bosses are basicly updates from the old games. This is a very impressive game great graphics, fast speed and amasingly fun to play, but for waiting this long for a 2D sonic game that just feels like a mix of the old made HD, I can't say I'm completely impressed, a little more originality would have made this game a definately 10 though. Expand
  36. Dec 21, 2010
    It's a good remember of these classical sonic, I feel like playing Sonic and Sonic 2.

It's easier and shorter, casual gamers can play Sonic 4 Ep. 1 without problems.
  37. Sep 18, 2011
    the division about this among gamers seems really pathetic to me. it is like people who loved the old games would NEVER be satisfied with anything new that resembles the old. i wonder why they keep buying new sonic games then, should just stick to the old games.
    if you are however somebody who is not afraid of 3d graphics and who actually KNOWS sonic and has not not played it in 20 years
    and expects sonic to be something different than it actually was, then i'm sure you will enjoy this game. it is absolutely true to the old games and only has very minor issues that i can't even remember any more as of writing this review. Expand
  38. May 19, 2012
    A great game at heart, and undeniably fun. But it falls flat in some ideas. A great little title to kill time with though. There is a good chance you will still have fun, and to me, that's what truly matters.
  39. Apr 19, 2012
    I think this game should get more credit than it deserves. It has great gameplay, excellent graphics and music, and was pretty fun to play. The achievements are great, they're difficult and keep the player playing the game. However, there are some parts that are a bit confusing in the levels. My biggest rage about the game is the actual zones. Sega couldn't come up with any new original ideas for zones, so they just stole from a bunch of other Sonic games. Even the boss battles are stolen and modified versions of previous ones. Sega kept on advertising Sonic 4 as a sequel to Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but there is no story to this game at all. It just feels like a rough copy and paste from other Sonic genesis games. My last complaint is that it is too short; it's about 4 1/2 zones long, the 1/2 being the final boss level. All I can say is that I hope Sonic 4 Episode 2 actually has some original ideas in it, or they could at least rip off Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3; that one was my favorite.... Expand
  40. May 19, 2012
    This game was not perfect, but It is still great sonic fun. People are too critical, sonic is a very hard game to make you have to make very long stages since sonic moves through them so quickly and still keep them enjoyable. The physics just don't bother me, If you play a sonic game how it's meant to be by racing through the levels quickly you won't have time to notice imperfections in physics. I agree the magic of the original sonic games still isn't here but It's a damn good effort and I will always welcome more games like this over 3d sonic adventures. Please give me more 2d sonic games and more chances to earn chaos emeralds! Expand
  41. Oct 7, 2012
    Sonic 4 is not worthy of the name "Sonic 4" what we got was a Sonic 1 reskin. Hold right to win, bad music. Why is there no Tails or Knuckles its a major step back what an insult
  42. Feb 18, 2013
    I was spectacle when I first heard the Sonic the Hedgehog 4 was coming on the Xbox Live Arcade. I didn't get the feeling that the game would be as great as the original trilogy of Sonic games and that's what I expected when I played the game. The Graphics look great and arguably the best looking Sonic game to date. The gameplay is alright. The game is very short, the levels are basically the same from Sonic the Hedgehog 1 with minor changes. Why call this Sonic the Hedgehog 4 if you are going to rehash the original Sonic game. There are also some problem solving to get through a level which drived me insane. Last is the music the game is fantastic. The opening theme to the first level is so nice I went up listening to the same song while I'm playing my music. Not much to say about the game. Its basically the same sonic games as the others. Expand
  43. Apr 23, 2013
    The game is not as bad as people like sonic retro make it out to be. Sure the physics are completely non existent.Which you cannot really understand as Dimps had already done classic sonic physics in sonic advance. But the level design is well done the music is catchy and the graphics are great. And when you get used to the way it plays the game is not that bad. At least it is better than episode 2.... Expand

1. Dec 25, 2010
    No just a rehash, but a brilliant game in itself. Sonic reigns once more. [Issue#232, p.88]
  2. Dec 25, 2010
    A good, if unspectacular, platform outing. [Issue#66, p.104]
  3. Dec 22, 2010
    Sonic The Hedgehog Episode 4 seems to be more of a Sonic the Hedgehog 1.2 (calling it "A.5" would put it too close to the brilliant Sonic 2...). The levels don't surprise, the soundtrack bores, and more importantly the blue hedgehog's inertia and dullness make it a real disappointment in 2010. We'll try not to resent it too much, since it's a rather cheap downloadable game, but it's still a very short game as well. Love is blind, so some may still enjoy it, but we'd rather advise them to try out the DS games, which are closer to today's expectations of a 2D journey with the supersonic hedgehog.