Sonic Unleashed Xbox 360

7.7

1. ResidentnEvil
    Nov 28, 2008
    Don't listen to the reviews. They'll lead you to believe that the Sonic levels are good, and the only downside is the Werehog levels.

In fact, the Sonic levels are anything but. Too fast for their own good, with sloppy controls and gameplay that's more shallow and two-dimensional than any of Sonic's portable offerings. Sonic Adventure is a far better game. And for

Sonic Adventure is a far better game. And for a game that has the benefit of years of development and superior hardware, that's simply inexcusable.
  2. litb007
    Feb 16, 2009
    Sonic Unleashed is half n' half. The daytime stages are very fast and completely redone to make a great Sonic game experience. Enemies only hurt you when they attack you, rail-switching locks onto available rails even when they curve off and the homing attack comes with a lock-on graphic to help players land attacks without flying off into the distance by mistake. Sonic's Sonic Unleashed is half n' half. The daytime stages are very fast and completely redone to make a great Sonic game experience. Enemies only hurt you when they attack you, rail-switching locks onto available rails even when they curve off and the homing attack comes with a lock-on graphic to help players land attacks without flying off into the distance by mistake. Sonic's 'Sonic Boost' lends him the ability of high-speed when you want it and the ease and satisfaction of smashing enemies at the speed of sound, Quick-step helps greatly in avoiding incoming objects but I feel the Sonic-Drift is annoyingly too slippery in turns. Despite the controversy with the Night-time Werehog levels, it offers a new fighting experience that tends to run on for a long time and tedious when you don't level-grind stats well. The second werehog level is downright difficult for first-time players and my god, the checkpointing they did for the Werehog levels was unbearable! The town hubs used in the game work out pretty good! Obviously based something like Sonic 06' but less crappy, the NPC townspeople look and emote like characters you would see in Pixar movies, very emotional at times to fit the text dialogue. The voice-acting for Sonic Unleashed has said to be 'improved' though I honestly couldn't tell the difference, it's okay to me, though Chip has a voice that's very different I must say. One big drawback is the medals system they put in place, requiring to collect Sun medals to unlock Daytime stages and Moon medals for night-time stages, for those trying to get to the end quickly will end up getting stuck because they didn't slow down to find them hidden throughout the stage, and towards the end of the game, the requirement gets irritatingly high. It would've been more suitable to just make it optional for extra powers or unlockables instead. Despite the crap reviews this game gets, I feel it's only because the Werehog wasn't just a strange gimmick but was poorly executed, much like a downgraded version of 'God of War'. What Sonic Team did with the Town hubs and especially the daytime gameplay was truely spectacular, it could've toned down the Quick-time events bit but a whole game involving the daytime gameplay would be a true revival of the Sonic series. In short: Daytime levels rocks, please do more. Werehog levels are occasionally fun when you max stats but so very tedious. It has some gems of awesome Sonic gaming but just has a whole load of boring crap strewn around it. Collapse
  3. Dec 4, 2011
    While the hub worlds are annoying, the medal collecting tedious, and the Werehog stages plain frustrating, the daytime stages are well worth the frustration. While it's nowhere near as good as the recently released Generations, for $10-$20, it's well worth it.
  4. Oct 23, 2010
    Sonic Unleashed is an aquired taste certianly. On the one hand you have some of the best level design and platforming action the series has ever seen, and on the other we find an absurd beat-em-up that has no place in a Sonic game. To focus on the Daytime stages for a minute, they are fantastic but not without their flaws, you can be blitzing around europe at insane speeds and gettingSonic Unleashed is an aquired taste certianly. On the one hand you have some of the best level design and platforming action the series has ever seen, and on the other we find an absurd beat-em-up that has no place in a Sonic game. To focus on the Daytime stages for a minute, they are fantastic but not without their flaws, you can be blitzing around europe at insane speeds and getting second-perfect button presses to keep your speed going then, bang, you've hit a wall where no warning has been given. These moments are few and far between but they are noticably more common in the later levels. Though even with this slight problem I still find these levels to be a great way to pass the time. Seamlessly switching from a blisteringly fast 3D view into a side on sidescrolling section is a sight to behold and it works incredibly well, providing for fans of both the modern and original games.

Now for the Werehog. Now for the Werehog. No that wasn't a typo, it was a metaphor for the Werehog experience. Repetative. Each level consists of swing to point A bash in a group of monsters, swing to point B, bash in even more monsters, swing to point C and beat a big boss monster. This couldbe bareable if the levels wern't so long, I found many of my playthroughs of a Werehog stage took over 20 to 30 minutes on some of the longer levels. This is ridiculous in a Sonic game, whee speed is key and you can make it through more day levels in under 5 minutes. The combat is broken to the extent that even leveling up and getting new combo's takes a backseat to repeatedly mashing the light and heavy attack buttons.

In all Sonic Team should have used the time they used for the Werehog to add more day stages and improve upon the ones that are already there (Not that there is all that much to fix) Unfortunantly the Werhog blunders in and smashes all the hard work the day stages provide and almost ruin the whole experience. The only thing keeping this game from sinking into the dreaded red zone are the day stages and their fast and fun gameplay. Take my advice if you do buy this game; Spend a few hours blitzing the main story, then sit back, relax, enjoy the daytime stages and hone your skills for Sonic Colours.
  5. Nov 3, 2011
    A huge letdown for my Sonic fanboyness. Honestly, it is my least favorite 3-D sonic game I have played so far. I just didn't enjoy the story or feel as strong of a connection as I did in the other games, and I felt that the presence of the Wherehog was ultimately detrimental to Sonic's legacy as a whole.
  6. Feb 21, 2013
    Sonic unleashed is the prime example of a mixed bag, if ive ever heard of one. The night time levels are boring and uninteresting, and the day time levels are fun and exciting. The game is litteraly bi-polar, with it basically being half good and half, well, bad. The first time playing through this game, i loved it, absolutely loved it. i found the night time levels boring and tedious, butSonic unleashed is the prime example of a mixed bag, if ive ever heard of one. The night time levels are boring and uninteresting, and the day time levels are fun and exciting. The game is litteraly bi-polar, with it basically being half good and half, well, bad. The first time playing through this game, i loved it, absolutely loved it. i found the night time levels boring and tedious, but playable none the less, and the day time levels to be awesome. but the more ive played it over the years, the more ive realized that the day time levels, are actually very shallow, and are nothing really but hold foward and go. theyve since mastered this design style, but it really hasnt aged well. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous, and the music is great as well. the controls, while a tad slippery, are decent. Sega took a long time to create the new sonic engine, and while i love the new "Hedgehog Engine" compared to the later titles, this formula really isnt that great in this game, though i still definitely recomend it. This game is alot of fun during the day time levels. The speeds you can achieve are unreal, and the graphics are absolutely gorgeous. all in all, Sonic unleashed is definitely a mixed bag, but i would still reccomend it to any sonic fan. Expand
  7. May 8, 2013
    If you play Sonic Colours & Generations prior to this game, Just don't bother with it. The day time style stages are just much better handling in Colours and Generations. The soundtrack is better in Colours & Generations, The one thing i think this game does better is it's graphics, it's pretty obvious that Unleashed 360 is a better looking game than Colours but why does Unleashed lookIf you play Sonic Colours & Generations prior to this game, Just don't bother with it. The day time style stages are just much better handling in Colours and Generations. The soundtrack is better in Colours & Generations, The one thing i think this game does better is it's graphics, it's pretty obvious that Unleashed 360 is a better looking game than Colours but why does Unleashed look better than Generations? Anyway the truth of the matter is that Colours & Generations are just the far superior games. Buy them instead :D Expand
  8. JosephC.
    Jul 27, 2009
    Late 2008, Sega released a game called Sonic Unleashed and I expected a lot of great things from the reviews. However, the results were anything but: X-play, Zero Punctuation, IGN, Gamespot, you name it; no one had any good things to say about it. Now X-play gave it a 2/5 which, according to their
  9. Nov 24, 2012
    Sonic Unleashed returns the blue blur to his former glory but has a very hard time reassuring audiences with all new concepts. Plot: In an ambush on Eggman's space armada, Eggman tricks Sonic into his energy absorbing trap and drains the energy out of the 7 Chaos Emeralds to fuel his weapon. This weapon fires upon the Earth causing a re-awakening Dark Gaia to spread out onto the EarthSonic Unleashed returns the blue blur to his former glory but has a very hard time reassuring audiences with all new concepts. Plot: In an ambush on Eggman's space armada, Eggman tricks Sonic into his energy absorbing trap and drains the energy out of the 7 Chaos Emeralds to fuel his weapon. This weapon fires upon the Earth causing a re-awakening Dark Gaia to spread out onto the Earth causing it to divide into 7 pieces dettached pieces. This also causes Sonic to transform into a Werehog with advanced combat skills, and highly extendable arms. Upon Sonics ejection back to Earth, he lands in the continent of Apotos and meets a small creature he calls Chip who has lost his memory but has a passion for food. Sonic realizes that during the daytime he will transform back into a Hedgehog, but during the night he will transform back into a Werehog. After saving Tails, he gives Sonic the ability to travel to broken continents via his airplane, Tornado 1. After saving Proffesor Pickle, they learn that if they bring the 7 drained Chaos Emeralds to the 7 temples of Gaia then they can restore power to each Emerald and put each continent back onto the Earth's core. Day stages: In Sonic's hedgehog form, he can run at super sonic speeds which are unbelievably fast but satisfying in the least, but these stages only last a few minutes and even then are hard to manuver but are part of the Sonic experience. Night stages: In Sonic's Werehog form speed isn't the gameplay theme but a combat platformer in which button combos must be mastered and stages drag on. The Medal problem: Sun and Moon Medals must be obtained in order to unlock stages that require a certain quantity of them which make the game frusterating when you can't proceed due to lack of Medal's. Opinion: Hedgehog stages are revolutionary but Werehog stages make up the majority of the game which do not properly represent Sonic's legacy. Because of the Medal system the game becomes very annoying when you cannot procede due to such stupidity. The idea of levels built off of real world locations is very fresh and showcases locales. Running across The Great Wall of China at super sonic speed is satisfying as well as grinding rails that circle Big Ben. If you are a Sonic fan I would try this game as well as if you are a gamer who is into travelling this is a nice one to try. Expand
  10. Aug 3, 2013
    Gameplay-6: The Controls are terrible, during the night they're somewhat tolerable but during the day he moves so fast you can barely control him, and as he collects rings (which he needs to stay alive) he gets even faster, making the controls even worse. The levels are boring and I don't get that much fun out of them, and at night the fighting is just plain boring. This game doesn'tGameplay-6: The Controls are terrible, during the night they're somewhat tolerable but during the day he moves so fast you can barely control him, and as he collects rings (which he needs to stay alive) he gets even faster, making the controls even worse. The levels are boring and I don't get that much fun out of them, and at night the fighting is just plain boring. This game doesn't measure up to the classic style 2d games, and is very poorly designed. However, the game is interesting in terms of level design and puzzle style.
    Sound-7: The music is ok, but nothing really immersed me.
    Graphics-9: Nearly flawless, there are very few quirks, my only problem is a few camera quirks.
    Fun-4: This game's poor controls, plus odd and boring gameplay, makes the fun of this game sub-par.
    Overall:6.5, I'll round it down because fun and gameplay are more important than sound and graphics, and they got lower scores.
  11. Sep 6, 2013
    As someone who does not usually play Sonic games, the night levels were probably a saving grace for me. Day levels feel too hectic and completely reliant on trial and error; you are running too fast to dodge anything! In addition, having to save up sun and moon tokens to unlock levels is just taking the piss, and was on Sega's part a terrible design decision. With day levels especially,As someone who does not usually play Sonic games, the night levels were probably a saving grace for me. Day levels feel too hectic and completely reliant on trial and error; you are running too fast to dodge anything! In addition, having to save up sun and moon tokens to unlock levels is just taking the piss, and was on Sega's part a terrible design decision. With day levels especially, having to treck back and snoop around for medals is hugely frustrating. On the plus side, I thoroughly enjoyed the night levels, although enemies are a little predictable with attacks. The reason this doesn't give it a positive review is that a Sonic game is meant to be about the 'proper' Sonic game play, and it doesn't get that part right. Sonic Unleashed was nice idea by Sega but it crashes and burns. Expand
  12. Sep 22, 2013
    This game is a massive improvement on Sonic 06, but it still has problems like the Moon Medals and the homing attack can be glitchy but it's still a good game.
  13. Feb 11, 2014
    Just bought sonic unleashed a week ago and its a decent game if u can get by the wearwolf levels. i mean the games story is decent. The gameplay for the speed levels is absolutley fun because its almost exactly the sane as generations but the werewolf levels kinda suck,. i mean the combat system is decent and fun but not for sonic and i don't like how they didnt explain how he became aJust bought sonic unleashed a week ago and its a decent game if u can get by the wearwolf levels. i mean the games story is decent. The gameplay for the speed levels is absolutley fun because its almost exactly the sane as generations but the werewolf levels kinda suck,. i mean the combat system is decent and fun but not for sonic and i don't like how they didnt explain how he became a werewolf. But all the little mini game levels and walking around the city and the speed levels make this a solid decent yet debatable 3d sonic game Expand
  14. May 13, 2014
    Honestly, not that bad. It's a decent Sonic the Hedgehog game. Very much reminds me of Sonic Adventure. If you can pick it up at a good price, I would definitely recommend it, if you are a Sonic the Hedgehog fan.
  15. Nov 20, 2014
    This game is just good. Not great, not terrible, just...good. This game is split into two game play sections, day and night. I'll go over both of them. Day is just your standard Sonic fare. You go fast. There. That's...pretty much it. I prefer this mode because the stages are short and offer enough nooks and crannies with collectibles to keep me interested. My only gripe with this mode areThis game is just good. Not great, not terrible, just...good. This game is split into two game play sections, day and night. I'll go over both of them. Day is just your standard Sonic fare. You go fast. There. That's...pretty much it. I prefer this mode because the stages are short and offer enough nooks and crannies with collectibles to keep me interested. My only gripe with this mode are the cheap deaths. There were several times when I was going really fast and feeling the adrenaline pumping and all that, but completely out of nowhere, I get hit by spikes. Why. This game really tests your reaction time, but when one of the game's modes encourages out-of-control speed and then shoves some spikes that requires the reaction time of a god in order to dodge, it just feels unfair. Other than that, this mode is pretty fun.

Night has some beat-em-up style game play featuring Sonic as a "werehog", and this is where most of my problems begin. The levels go on for a really long time, and the combat can become repetitive pretty easily. It's not terrible, but it can just get boring at times. You can level up Sonic so that you can do more combos which takes out mobs of enemies more easily, which keeps this mode from getting too boring. Whether or not you'll like it though depends on your preference really, but I found it just ok.

1. As much as I disliked lumbering through levels as Sonic’s hulky Werehog, I disliked hunting through the hub worlds looking for coins even more. Sega, if you really want to fix Sonic, the first thing you should do is stop trying to fix him.
    Ultimately, this simply isn't the fresh start Sonic fans were so desperately hoping for...but at least it's not as execrable as the last two efforts.
  3. Sonic Unleashed is a glorious return to true console form for Sonic.