5.5

1. Jun 26, 2013
    This is a very average game, but can be very enjoyable game once you get into it. The problem is within the god awful servers. I'm not sure what's going on with them, but Im having zero luck connecting to the game. Ubisoft and kung fu factory have done practically nothing to help players that are having trouble connecting, and are just saying "the game is under maintenance." Well that'sThis is a very average game, but can be very enjoyable game once you get into it. The problem is within the god awful servers. I'm not sure what's going on with them, but Im having zero luck connecting to the game. Ubisoft and kung fu factory have done practically nothing to help players that are having trouble connecting, and are just saying "the game is under maintenance." Well that's just I've been waiting here for hours trying to connect. Despite the server problems, as I said; the games average, and isn't really persuading me to wait longer for the games fixes. All in all, the game is worth getting after maintenance fixes, and you shouldn't be in a rush to get this game, as you'll probably be sitting, twiddling your thumbs. Expand
  2. Jun 27, 2013
    Great for fans of the series...if the bugs and server issues get fixed. A patch is vital to this game being more than mediocre. I would have paid the 60 bucks for a smooth and complete Spartacus fighter. Instead, the developers urge players to go to the bank and pay 150 bucks for gold coins for the full game experience. This game as of now is not worth one dollar as it is nearly impossibleGreat for fans of the series...if the bugs and server issues get fixed. A patch is vital to this game being more than mediocre. I would have paid the 60 bucks for a smooth and complete Spartacus fighter. Instead, the developers urge players to go to the bank and pay 150 bucks for gold coins for the full game experience. This game as of now is not worth one dollar as it is nearly impossible to get on the servers. I am a die-hard Spartacus fan and a so-so fighter fan, so this game should be perfect for me. But will it get fixed? If it does and you can look past the pay scheme and the somewhat clunky fighter responses, this Tribute to all things gladiator might be just what the summer ordered. Right now, I think I will play some borderlands 2 or injustice, at least until the servers get fixed. I give the game a 8 based on it getting fixed. No fix, this game gets a 3. Expand
  3. Jun 28, 2013
    (EDIT: I was informed on how to delete gladiators. It's where you change your equipment, instead of the roster. That is exceedingly stupid, so my score remains the same, and it's stupid that I have to do that to, again, PROGRESS in single player.)

Now, I don't watch Spartacus, but I am a huge fan of gladiatorial fights, and this seemed great: A free-to-play fighter where you can customize your own Gladiator to fight their way to the top, and bring glory to your House!

Graphics: The models look pretty nice, but the environments, crowds, and the sun (which is the worst) look a generation old. The cutting effects on your models would be cool if they weren't the same ones, over and over again.

Sound: Ignorable. Everyone seems to have the same voices, and the music is so generic that you'll forget it exists.

Control: These were alright. You have light attacks, heavy attacks, grabs, and Pathtration attacks (guard breaks). You can preform different combos and attacks by either moving the Left analog stick in different directions when attacking, or mixing attack buttons.

You can guard, and also roll, to evade or assault foes, and you can also taunt by...pressing Down on the D-Pad? Why? The Triggers aren't even used for this game, why couldn't Taunt be up there, where it's more convenient?

Gameplay: You start the game by playing a tutorial fight as Spartacus, where it teaches you the controls (outside of the Taunt button for some reason). Then, you play as the head of a House, and you are given a free slave to use as a gladiator. Equip him to fight, and earn money and glory for your House.

Single player is nothing but one-on-one fights with various opponents. There's normal fights, where you fight randomly generated enemies for Silver coins and Fame (Experience). As you level up, new gear is unlocked, which you then purchase with your Silver. There is a cooldown between doing the same Normal Fight, so you can't cheese it up and grind Silver/Fame quickly.

Then there's Primus Fights, which are against the same named foes. Each one has their unique combat style. Defeating these foes will allow you to earn Perks, which give you various effects, such as resisting Grab attacks, or damage buffs. You can only have one Perk at a time, so you have to make your choice count, and you can't re-fight Primus Fights: If you decline a Perk, it's gone for good.

As you win Primus Fights, you unlock further Primus Fights, leading up to the Boss Fight of the district. There are a total of six different districts to fight in, some varying in difficulty. You repeat this progress throughout the entirety of the single game. There's nothing else except Online.

This wouldn't be so bad, if the fights didn't start feeling very repetitive and boring after the first one. While you can vary your combos and attacks, there's never any reason to. You'll either stick to your quickest, or longest range attacks, and only mix it up with low, sweeping attacks if an enemy is laying on the ground.

One thing that tries to mix fights up is the ability to Execute your foes. If you happen to have a full Crowd Meter, you will be able to press any attack button to brutally kill them. Attacking and Taunting builds your meter, but it's almost impossible to get it filled up unless you have an absolutely flawless fight, as any inactivity will cause it to decrease rapidly.

So you repeat this cycle: Fight, buy new gear, which isn't cosmetic: Gear gives you better stats, and, of course, the later gear is always better. Repeat over and over. It would be fine if the game would just be a grind, but it gets much worse.

First, Pay to Win. This game is that. You have the option to spend real money on Gold Coins, which can be used to purchase gear WELL beyond your current level. Doing this gives you a very distinct advantage. In addition, you can spend Gold on power-ups that are absolutely UNOBTAINABLE by Silver, giving you an even larger advantage.

I will not play multiplayer, even if it worked properly (it doesn't), because of this. This is not how you do "Free" business models. The gear should be cosmetic, not give other players blatant advantages!

Then, there's getting new Gladiators. Each Gladiator has a certain weapon skill, like Sword and Shield, Duel Daggers, etc. This means you can buy new Gladiators to have a variety of weapon styles, but some Primus Fights require a specific weapon skill!

Early in the game, there is a Primus Fight that requires Duel Daggers. You cannot check this beforehand: You have to wait until you have the fight unlocked to check requirements. Before this, I bought a Two-Handed Sword Gladiator, who I thought was awesome. I also had a Sword and Shield Gladiator.

Because of the fight restriction, I either had to grind 3,360 Silver Coins for more character slots, or delete one of my Gladiators. This is a severe design flaw that needs fixed ASAP.

Overall, a great idea, horrible execution. I'd rather pay $60 for a better experience.
  4. Jul 31, 2013
    It's not bad for a free game. It's pretty cool. I like the idea. I like how you upgrade your characters. But the animations are pretty bad. I like what they were TRYING to go for, but it was far from executed. But again, not bad for a FREE game.
  5. Jun 27, 2013
    Server problems seems to be all resolved as of this writing. I am really enjoying this game. its actually some of the most fun I've ever had with a fighting game. I am also kind of a sucker for unlockables in games, which this one has many. I wont go into the details of the gameplay as you can get that elsewhere. I will say that my biggest problem with the game is its Free to PlayServer problems seems to be all resolved as of this writing. I am really enjoying this game. its actually some of the most fun I've ever had with a fighting game. I am also kind of a sucker for unlockables in games, which this one has many. I wont go into the details of the gameplay as you can get that elsewhere. I will say that my biggest problem with the game is its Free to Play mechanic, which does it in that terrible "randomized" way. charge people 5 gold to refresh what fighters you can buy, charge people real money for gold packs that only let you buy certain things at certain times. I hate that. I feel like free to play should basically let me pay money for the things I want, and not pay for the things I don't. For example, charge me money to unlock certain characters or weapons I'm interested in, or charge me money to continue playing after my character is defeated (or wait for a timer). Thats the way F2P should be. Not like this, and for that I give the game a 6. If the free to play mechanic was different, I would actually give this an 8 because it is really fun to play. Expand
  6. Jun 29, 2013
    A junk game. Just total crap. Horrible fighting, like a broken Tekken, and a pay-for-play menu thats faces you at every corner. Thanks for nothing. Is that what we are going to come to expect when free hand helds get ported to consoles?
  7. Jun 26, 2013
    Game shoddy, shoddy gameplay, absolute crap, I thought a lot better, even though the game is free, however, sucks, try it, if you can always find people online.
  8. Jun 26, 2013
    Has the potential for greatness. But way too many bugs. For their highest priced gold(in game purchase) is $150 dollars?!? Playing against the CPU is fine didn't fine too many bugs there but online is horrible. Servers are always down. I mean always down.
  9. Jun 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Combat can get very deep and only the skilled will be able too handle some of the later fights. Weapons all have there own style of play. As far as it being pay to win i think the online quick match might match you against someone who has dumped 10$ into the game and achieved a better rating by using higher grade armour. I do like that if u attain the weapons lvl req by lvl'n up, u may purchase it for in-game money. The servers as of now) seem to be unstable as i assume thousands of people are testing the stress lvls of servers. All an all a decent frre-to-play game for the 360. I was able to convince some friends to d/l it and i am looking forward too some intense matches. Graphics are nothing too scream about but do good enough to fit right in the spartacus universe. Music seems right from the soundtrack of the show and the voices while cheesy, do stay true too that era "JUPITER'S u could do alot worse than this fighting game. I say since it F2P give it try and see you on the sands! Expand
  10. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is mediocre at best. Nothing about it leaves a good taste in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the series, and I've spent eight hours trying to find some hint of a decent game. I can't. The fighting is simple and uninteresting, the graphics are abysmal, (this is 2013, not 2001) progression is slow and tedious, because they were trying to get as many pointless little fights inThis game is mediocre at best. Nothing about it leaves a good taste in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the series, and I've spent eight hours trying to find some hint of a decent game. I can't. The fighting is simple and uninteresting, the graphics are abysmal, (this is 2013, not 2001) progression is slow and tedious, because they were trying to get as many pointless little fights in as they could before you beat this, to simply put it, short game. Not to mention one of the worst launches I've experienced. Recruiting on PS3 was broken for the first day, and the servers on Xbox were down nearly immediately. I'd hate to say this about a game that was made based around one of my favorite TV series' of all time, but I honestly think you should avoid this garbage at all costs. Just because it's free doesn't mean you can make the game trashy and boring. 4/10. And that's being generous because I liked the series. Expand
  11. Jun 27, 2013
    This game has gotten off to a really bad start, The first day and the servers prove to be appalling. It took me an hour to actually get onto the game and when I finally do. I don't get a fast-paced action fighter, I get what feels like a repetitive facebook game, I'm rank 10 and have already grown bored of the game, About Rank 7 the game just becomes a grind-fest because of an outrageousThis game has gotten off to a really bad start, The first day and the servers prove to be appalling. It took me an hour to actually get onto the game and when I finally do. I don't get a fast-paced action fighter, I get what feels like a repetitive facebook game, I'm rank 10 and have already grown bored of the game, About Rank 7 the game just becomes a grind-fest because of an outrageous difficulty spike. Some of the weapon-types seem to be very underpowered whilst others destroy all in its path with great ease. Due to the awful servers their is no point attempting an online match, because you'll be lucky to complete it due to disconnections and lag. The game requires an Internet connection even for its single player and the only thing that really makes it worth playing is if you're more of a casual gamer, One that doesn't play for more than an hour or so a day. Expand
  12. Jun 28, 2013
    So, not going to focus on the server issues as others have. Numerous times. I play this passingly, as opposed to focus on it and so don't normally find many server problems.

Gameplay wise, think Tekken but with swords and shields, along with a large plethora of other weapons. Bear in mind that this also includes the incredibly annoying side to Tekken of large, messy combos with directional buttons and the CPU being able to roll these combos off like it's nothing spectacular.

You will encounter problems with the CPU owning you due to this. You will get frustrated. You may even break a pad (or two) in the process. Unfortunately, this is the truly annoying gameplay of Tekken brought back but with a different game setting. Remember being stuck on that one fight you had to do a million times until you somehow managed to scrape a victory? It's the same as with this, albeit not quite as bad. Still annoying as heck though.

That aside, the management side of your gladiators is what really catches me. I gotta admit, I love management of stuff in games... cities and armies in Total War esque games, heroes' gear and abilities in RPG games if you enjoy that stuff, then it's worth a shot at enduring the irritating gameplay. Though if you're liable to get mad at games where the CPU brutally mauls you due to humans not being able to roll off combos and dodge attacks and grabs etc etc quite as easily as a CPU... I'd advise to play this game with caution. Or not at all. At least with the first hint of irritation, abandon ship and play something else.
  13. Jun 28, 2013
    Enjoyable enough combat with nice weapon and armor customisation in a swords and sandals kind of way. Good thing it's free though, with all of the bugs and server issues, it wouldn't be worth it otherwise.
  14. Jul 1, 2013
    Its alright for a show that has been turned into a game, good for the fans that enjoy watching Spartacus on there T.V's. Gameplay wise is above average not that great but is still slightly fun
  15. Jul 11, 2013
    Ok. I have played for awhile and it's an alright game but understand one thing THE GAME IS PAY TO WIN and while it might be free to play, just spending $10 will put you above your free playing opponents. Every loading screen you go through will tell you how much you can gain by spending gold. After playing for 5-6 hours online and offline here is my conclusions:
    1. It is Pay-to-Win.
    1. It is Pay-to-Win. There are characters and items you cannot get without paying money. It seems like an older F2P model and most companies have learned that if you offer everything in the game but make it harder to achieve the free players stick around making the game better for the paying players.
    2. Within two weeks the game will be all pay players and then probably vanish. As a veteran game tester for dozens of games I have seen this happen to countless games. A great game comes out F2P and then the free players are not supported and the game vanishes leaving only the people that paid playing against other paying players... usually a game dies pretty quick when this happens.
    3. I like the idea of Gladiator Death... your gladiator can and will die. The amount you have to pay scales upwards with each death. One day after many deaths you will have to retire the character or keep paying real money to keep them alive.
    4. You will lose at later fame rankings if you are not paying real money for gear.
    5. Quick Match has horrible match making but you have to wait forever to play individual pvp. Ok. Twice I have had a rank score in the 50's and had to fight against someone 100 points ahead of me. Needless to say I was executed at the end every time. Losing gladiators is going to happen but you should lose them against similar ranked opponents. Outside of quick match you setup an individual gladiator for pvp... sometimes you will not get a match in an hour. The best way is queing for quick match at peak times.

Overview
    It's a decent game with many flaws. It follows a failed F2P system which will cause the game to peak in a couple weeks and then you will only have paying players even new players to the game at that point will be slaughtered.
    There are many glitches and internet speed is all important as I don't believe the game compensates for slower internet speeds (such as CoD: Black Ops) and you will become frustrated as you get hit by invisible swords. I slowed my own internet to see how bad it gets and it got bad after playing youtube on a single computer and playing the game on my Xbox.
    The game is about your Ludis not your gladiators. You get to keep any gear you have and share it with all your gladiators. Gladiators will usually make much more than they are worth (unless you are paying gold for the cooler gladiators).

About this F2P System
    This is a Pay to Win at an extreme. If you spend $10 you will be superior to all your opponents that didn't spend. Spend enough money and you can button mash your way to victory against all but the most skilled opponents. I understand the need for a game to make money but there are some great companies to follow for a good F2P system. Perfect World is a company that does it right. You pay money for skins, bonuses, cooler equipment but the barrier between paying clients and non-paying clients is not as wide. So, prepare to lose if you are not spending money on the game. Think of it more as a long trial period because once you get past the Fame 20 you will be getting executed. On the other side, if you like to spend a little real money of your F2P games be prepared to kill the non-payers.... for now. Games that have this much pay to no-pay disparity don't last long.
  16. Jul 8, 2013
    My rating of 3/10 is based solely on the fact that the game combines a rarity for the Xbox 360, a free game with multiplayer support.

I've beaten all the CPU opponents I bothered with by just dual-wielding daggers and hitting the Y button...a lot. Add to that some nagging loading times, and mediocre graphics....will be interesting to follow in the future though, the potential for a

Add to that some nagging loading times, and mediocre graphics....will be interesting to follow in the future though, the potential for a great game is there
  17. Jun 30, 2013
    Gladiatorial goodness, for free...almost. First off, this is an arcade title, and as you can see from the asking price, it is not going to have the same bells and whistles as a full priced, mass marketed title. What you get is a fairly competent fighter in a very cool Ancient Rome setting. I recently bought Injustice: Gods Among Us, and it's already been retired by this F2P. The combatGladiatorial goodness, for free...almost. First off, this is an arcade title, and as you can see from the asking price, it is not going to have the same bells and whistles as a full priced, mass marketed title. What you get is a fairly competent fighter in a very cool Ancient Rome setting. I recently bought Injustice: Gods Among Us, and it's already been retired by this F2P. The combat is a little simpler, but somehow more engaging. I'm not understanding all of the hate being leveled at this game. It's free. No one is making you buy the the equipment, which is attainable by playing the game anyway. Sure, if you want to play MP, you'll encounter people that spent money that will beat you. Who cares?

Graphics: Nothing special, and definitely on the lower end of what consoles can do, but decent enough to enjoy. They have an almost watercolor painting look to it, that is if the painter used blood as his color base. There are plenty of blood splatters and the graphics do a good job of representing a level of gore with out being just gross. A nice touch are the slashes and open wounds, viewable on your fighter at the end of a match.

Sound: Serviceable but spartan. The clash of metal and impact noises are good; the announcer annoying; and the rest average.

Gameplay: The combat involves light, heavy, and a close range attack, plus a grab (very useful on an opponent who's blocking).. There's plenty of button mashing, and combos, but they aren't overwhelming like MK and SF games. You fight in 3 dimensions, so you can actually circle your enemy to a limited degree. One can perform blocks, dodges, parries, and rolls to gain an advantage or get out of trouble, but it drains your defense meter--run out of defense meter and you'll be sword sponge. What adds to the depth is the weapon style matchups. Each gladiator has a weapon specialization (sword & shield, dual swords, dual daggers, 2 handed sword, trident, hammer, spear & shield, and unarmed). Certain weapons seem to work better against others. Finding out what works well and matching up your fighters accordingly is part of the challenge. Then there's the executions. Play to the crowd, and you might get the option of eviscerating, dismembering, and good old fashioned beheading your fallen foe. There's something oddly satisfying about lopping off the head of that overpowered spearman that gave you such headaches. Taunts and good tactics fill a crowd meter, which if it's high enough results in a fatality. Of course, your enemy also can do this, and your prized fighter might lose his head. Luckily, you can spend some silver to resurrect your hero. First "save" is free, 2nd is 500 silver, and then it ramps up to 2000 and more. It gives you a small safety valve before your perma-death. Nice touch.

Story/content: You fight different battles in various parts of the city, working your way up to some Prima matches. Primas are more elite opponents that once defeated can offer your fighter a perk. Defeat all the Primas and fight against a Legend from the TV show. Defeat the Legend and you can then recruit them. Winning fights increases your earnings and level which unlocks weapons, new fights, new primas, etc. Those Pay2Win weapons and armor become buyable with in game currency as your level increases. The equipment is varied and can be used by all of your gladiators. You'll be able to buy new gladiators as you go, so you'll be able to try all of the weapon styles eventually. The more expensive fighters give you 3 and 4 perk slots, which are important for surviving in the arena.

In the end, this a fun and satisfying fighting game that's free. There's enough depth to the fighting system and equipment choices (builds) to make one stick to it. Being a Lanista has never been more enjoyable. The negatives, is the online only aspect, limited customization, the repetitive fights (yeah there's some grinding to be done) and the fact that there are people out there that will drop $150 to be unbeatable if you're into MP. The horrible server problems I've yet to encounter (I D/L the game on launch day and stayed away figuring the servers would be overwhelmed for a couple days).
  18. Oct 7, 2013
    Another free-to-play title to grace the XBOX 360. Unfortunately, it's not as good as I thought it would be. Combat's decent enough, and building up a roster of gladiators with different weapons and equipment is an interesting concept, but connection problems (it is a free-to-play title, after all) hurt this game in the long run. You'll be spending more time dealing with server maintenanceAnother free-to-play title to grace the XBOX 360. Unfortunately, it's not as good as I thought it would be. Combat's decent enough, and building up a roster of gladiators with different weapons and equipment is an interesting concept, but connection problems (it is a free-to-play title, after all) hurt this game in the long run. You'll be spending more time dealing with server maintenance than actually playing the game. Mediocre graphics, sub-par sounds and repetitive fights don't help matters. While Primus Fights offer perks, they do little to offset the repetitive fights, and weapon restrictions don't help either. And of course, the much-maligned microtransaction favor pay-to-win gear over simple cosmetic choices like in Defiance. If you're looking for a good (I use that term lightly) free-to-play game on the 360, go with Ascend: Hand of Kul. It may have its flaws, but they're not nearly as bad as this game's. Expand
  19. Jun 30, 2013
    I'm not sure what this game wants to be. As a show tie in, it fails. As a fighting game, it fails. And as a free to play game, it is designed to get it's hands in your wallet with out even taking you on a romantic date before it does. Movie and tv show tie ins can be done well, as can free to play games. But given the fact these two forces are often designed to be as money grubbing asI'm not sure what this game wants to be. As a show tie in, it fails. As a fighting game, it fails. And as a free to play game, it is designed to get it's hands in your wallet with out even taking you on a romantic date before it does. Movie and tv show tie ins can be done well, as can free to play games. But given the fact these two forces are often designed to be as money grubbing as possible, while simultaneously riding the success of a bigger driving force. Aka riding the free to play bandwagon and the coat tails of a popular hollywood venture. Spartacus Legends is the worst of both worlds. Expand
  20. Jun 29, 2013
    The clash of steel, the sound of tearing flesh and the roar of the crowd as the cheer with glee when another fatal strike is landed. This is the world of the gladiator, a harsh and violent existence, one that the team at Kung-Fu Factory has managed to recreated with very pleasing results. Enter the world of Spartacus Legends.

Spartacus Legends is a free-to-play gladiatorial fighting

Spartacus Legends is a free-to-play gladiatorial fighting game available now on XBLA and PSN. That's right, you heard me I said free! The game places you in control of one gladiator at the beginning, with this first recruit you fight your way through several tutorial matches and then are off on you're own to become the most renown fighter in all of Capua.

Read the full review at www.GameFan365.com
  21. Jun 26, 2013
    Spartacus Legends has some major problems, the always online aspect is awful, especially when the servers are temporarily down, also because of this, menus take up to five minutes to load.
    The gameplay is okay, I haven't got the full grasp of it yet but unarmed combat is damn fun, the sheer amount of equipment in the game is impressive, however I can't help feeling that some gameplay aspects have been sacrificed for this.
    The game did take me around half an hour to load due to the always online, but I'm sure that release jitters are over, the servers should be fine.
    I've had fun with it so far and for a console free to play, its pretty good
  22. Jun 26, 2013
    Honestly it's pretty fun! I don't think I'll be spending too much on it. $150 for their top tier is pretty ridiculous..but 5 bucks isn't that bad. Combat is fun, loading times can be long, and online modes are mixed one was good one was laggy. Hopefully some fixes are coming in. Really enjoying the game though but I have hope after they fix some bugs!
  23. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is a enjoyable game, it has its moments of annoyance during the game like, getting beat, lag, and me getting very passionate with loosing and shouting and cursing. But the main problem of this game is actually GETTING ON IT! It's a shame, ubisoft have made a good game here, and sticking with the show, with the characters from the series, but we'll never know what the story has toThis game is a enjoyable game, it has its moments of annoyance during the game like, getting beat, lag, and me getting very passionate with loosing and shouting and cursing. But the main problem of this game is actually GETTING ON IT! It's a shame, ubisoft have made a good game here, and sticking with the show, with the characters from the series, but we'll never know what the story has to offer because of the stupid god damn servers are horrible, it's f*cking annoying! Expand
  24. Jun 27, 2013
    A decent game. Pretty standard "build up your character" by purchasing new equipment, etc. They've incorporated aspects from the TV series that feel at home within the context of the game. My only complaints would be that the fighting mechanics (which form the core of the game) could be a little more sophisticated, there is no local versus mode, and I'm not a big fan of the "pay2win"A decent game. Pretty standard "build up your character" by purchasing new equipment, etc. They've incorporated aspects from the TV series that feel at home within the context of the game. My only complaints would be that the fighting mechanics (which form the core of the game) could be a little more sophisticated, there is no local versus mode, and I'm not a big fan of the "pay2win" business model. Expand
  25. Jun 27, 2013
    even though it came out June 26 there are some minor bugs, but there are some things that make this game more fantasy. There are things that make this game enjoyable, but in all honesty i believe that they should have released some patches before the game incases like mine "The Spartacus Legends service is not available. Please try again later"
  26. Jul 1, 2013
    I would say this game is pretty average and can be very fun! However, this game can also be a challenge and really test your skills as a gamer. I would not recommend this game if you are quick to anger, because it can really make you want to rip your hair out! I have tried playing online a couple of times and it seems the servers just aren't up to par, so you don't connect that often. II would say this game is pretty average and can be very fun! However, this game can also be a challenge and really test your skills as a gamer. I would not recommend this game if you are quick to anger, because it can really make you want to rip your hair out! I have tried playing online a couple of times and it seems the servers just aren't up to par, so you don't connect that often. I mean I'm absolutely thrilled to get to download a free arcade game, but it really needs a few adjustments. Expand
  27. Jul 4, 2013
    For being free I can't really complain to much it has potential but gets old quick but upgrading armor and equipment upgrades makes it at least a little entertaining but overall a boring fighter
  28. Jul 16, 2013
    Looked good but failed it's potential. It's combat system is sluggish and the AI keeps on spamming a single attack constantly un till you die or rage quit the game. The Xbox live matches keep disconnecting constantly. This game had a-lot of potential but it came out in a pitiful state, until a patch comes through that fixes these problems then this game is far from successful.
  29. Sep 26, 2013
    This game is very sub-par, graphics look muddy and out dated but the 360 somehow lags when playing it takes alot of time to find a match if you're lucky you will find one immediatly but besides all that it's a pretty fun game but it's one of the best indie games on the 360!
  30. Sep 8, 2013
    If you enjoy the same thing over and over and over.....this game may be for you.

I logged off after about 2 hours and never logged back in.

Free is free but poo is still poo.
  31. Sep 10, 2013
    Score of three, purely because of the TV series.
    The game is awful, really unimaginative and lacks everything that is needed to make a good game.
    Glad it was free download, would not have even paid £0.69 for it if it was an app.
  32. Oct 30, 2013
    WHY THE F*** A LOW META SCORE THIS IS A FANTASTIC GAME WITH REALLY EFFICIENT PRICE 0.00 CHANGE THE META SCORE AND USER SCORE NOW THIS IS NOT A SH***Y GAME I KNOW I PLAYED IT BUY IT NOW.
  33. Dec 6, 2013
    I like the game a lot, but it lacks a couple of things that would make it fun. For instance, me and all of my friends want to duel each other, but we can't we always end up fighting other players. Maybe add a "Private Match" area where you can duel friends. Maybe make the Spectacula section of the city give double the Fame it does, cause getting only 750 Fame each fight at my level doesn'tI like the game a lot, but it lacks a couple of things that would make it fun. For instance, me and all of my friends want to duel each other, but we can't we always end up fighting other players. Maybe add a "Private Match" area where you can duel friends. Maybe make the Spectacula section of the city give double the Fame it does, cause getting only 750 Fame each fight at my level doesn't do much at all.

Also, what would be appreciated is 2 other things 1: A Silver-to-Gold conversion system. 10,000 Silver to get 1 Gold piece. I got over 800,000 Silver(Maybe over 900,000) but I can't use it I've bought nearly everything I could with Silver. Also, you should be able to bulk up your character by buying some extra Health and Defense for Silver OR Gold after so much. For the first extra 20 Health and 20 Defense it's 25,000 Silver for 1 stat on one of them so spending 100,000 silver will give you +4 health or +4 defense or mix it around. And you can get up to +10% extra Damage from that for 25,000 Silver for +1%. After that it starts to cost Gold. The MAX stats you can buy is +50 Health, +50 Defense and +25% Damage. This makes people USE all their cash, instead of building it up and wasting it. Maybe add a arena where people can go to get MASSIVE amounts of Silver and Fame, but it's a level 25+ only area. It'll give up to DOUBLE the Silver Insulae gives(The Pits), and up to 50% more Fame than Spectacula gives.

Also, please FIX the servers. It's laggy and glitchy, and easy to Hack/Glitch it. Make each different section of the game give different types of Perks as well. Maybe let us buy an extra Perk slot for a character(If you lose him so does the extra perk)for either 100,000 Silver or 25 Gold for it. You can choose between both for it. I did this survey with roughly 75 different players on Spartacus Legends. ALL of them agreed with me on getting these type of updates. We ALL at least want a Silver-to-Gold Conversion system AND Private Matches. ALSO some of us want a "FULL Fledged Arena fight" where UP TO 10 people fight at once in EITHER a Free-For-All OR a Team-Deathmatch. They can choose between the 2 but it's NOT Legends Mode, it's the "Arena Mode" for that. You can do survival against Tigers and Bears on there alone, or side-by-side with a friend or 2(Up to 4 people at once working together in Survival). This would make it interesting AND Hard. Survival should give you specialty gear as well. Survive 5 rounds, you get a "Common" Item in compairison to your gladiator. You can ask it if you want an Armor-type specialty item, or a weapon, or a Perk. If you survive to round 10 it's an 'Uncommon" one(AKA Green Name). "Rare" is a Blue one at round 15+ survival. At 20+ is a Super Rare(I call it a Legionary) weapon/Armor at 25+ and at round 30+ is a Legendary.

Everyone I ask wants a LOT of this added into the game. If you want to ask my friends, you can just contact my triston8080800 account on the Xbox LIVE and I'll prove it.
  34. Dec 19, 2013
    Spartacus Legends is not a fun game to play. Rough servers and bug issues plague the game from beginning to end. Do not waste your time if you have no patience.
  35. Jan 16, 2014
    Fun but suffers from free to play. $150 asking price? Why not polish and sell retail at $60? Insane greedy publishers? 10/10. Worth an all nighter but no more.
  36. May 9, 2014
    It was a okay game but some enemies are too strong and could require thousands of silvers to defeat and when the defense is broken you can not move you have to stand there and let them beat the **** out of you it gets pretty annoying and that most gladiators to buy require gold but the fighting is amazing and graphics are okay along with the executions. so in my opinion its a okay game
  37. Jun 9, 2014
    I played this game for almost 2 weeks for about 30 minutes a day. I competed in 2 tournaments and rather enjoyed the game play but the rewards were totally useless. Ubisoft expects you compete for rewards of the level you are when you start the tournament. After a week and several hours of competition you get a reward that would be very nice if you were not 12 levels higher than whenI played this game for almost 2 weeks for about 30 minutes a day. I competed in 2 tournaments and rather enjoyed the game play but the rewards were totally useless. Ubisoft expects you compete for rewards of the level you are when you start the tournament. After a week and several hours of competition you get a reward that would be very nice if you were not 12 levels higher than when you started, making the rewards absolutely worthless by the time you obtain them.

Ubisoft flat states they do not want feedback from the users of the game on their website. Attempting to contact Ubisoft resulted my spending 2 hours searching their website. I was rewarded with absolutely nothing. No email address or any other information on how to contact tech support or any other help. other than a UK phone number. I didn't call it but from my experience with their website, I would guess the phone is probably manned every other Saturday from 11 to noon.

The forum section of their website does not function at all. I tried with several different browsers and they just fail to connect. So forget about discussing the game with other players that way.

The game was fun for a short time but the novelty quickly wears off especially when faced with the constant server problems(failing to connect to a server will cause you to spend 5-30 minutes just getting connected each time you attempt to play) and the game completely freezes my xbox forcing me to restart on a rather frequent basis.

Finally but not the least of the problems is the matching feature which allows you to compete with other players. Anyone of even modest intelligence would know that pitting players against others that are drastically different in experience level is just asking for trouble from both sides. An experienced player finds a new player to be of no challenge, and combined with a 5 minute or longer wait for a match is very frustrating. The new player gets frustrated quickly when being constantly confronted with players that are at the maximum level in the game and geared in way they cannot compete with. You cannot buy gear, even with real money, that is more than about 3 levels above you but you can be matched to fight a player 20 or even 25 levels higher than you by the matching system..
  38. Nov 17, 2014
    Let me start by saying this is a newer post check date.

Ok, as far as I know there is no game that is remotely close to the same concept of gladiator fighting. I keep seeing people say pay to win, but the gold gain is pretty steady and quick to accumulate, granted you can buy gear before you can use it lvl wise. As far as advantage goes I dont see that as an issue considering I win 90%
    Let me start by saying this is a newer post check date.

I keep seeing people say pay to win, but the gold gain is pretty steady and quick to accumulate, granted you can buy gear before you can use it lvl wise. As far as advantage goes I dont see that as an issue considering I win 90% of my online matches and I havent payed a cent on it. The online matches and people using the same combo must have been a thing of the past because as far as I can tell so far I havent seen thst issue with the exception of hammer but thats easily remedied with daggers or unarmed. The graphics arnt half bad, if you have played a sandbox game before it has that feel. As far as the arena size goes its relatively small which I like, big maps would make for long drawn out fights. Skill far outweighs gear and rating, ive been killed by a common fighter while on a legendary toon, timing and practice make perfect.

The voice overs are pretty much the same and the music as well but amidst the fight, I dont pay much attension to that, im not gonna say there is a best class because the individual skill involved but daggers and unarmed definitely have a speed advantage makeing it versatile and dodge worthy.

Overall I give this game a 8/10 only a 8 because the sound/voiceover and the server connect issue I get every once in a while, but if you staying away from this game because of reviews from a person that did 2 fights or or someone claiming the game sucks but cant stop playing then read this one and it should be clear
    Definitely worth a try considering its free to play, thanks for reading and pass it along thanks : )

1. Aug 16, 2013
    It's a bad game compromised further by awkward monetisation. [Issue#101, p.84]
  2. Jul 30, 2013
    Better exploitation of the license would allow Spartacus Legends of becoming a title unavoidable at least for fans of the TV series.
  3. Jul 29, 2013
    Legends has missed the point of the business model entirely, giving unfortunate players a choice of grinding through shallow, unfulfilling and downright ugly combat, or forking out substantial amounts of real money to bypass said mediocrity. [Sept 2013, p.71]