6.5

1. Feb 28, 2012
    Being a long time fan of the SSX franchise; this game is a big disappointment. With so many issues, from control bugs and sensitivity, to the speed of the game, to reducing the skill gap of the game. You rarely feel in control and the game becomes frustrating and boring very quickly. As there is no traditional multiplayer or splitscreen; there is not even any real social interaction between players anymore. Expand
  2. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a huge fan of SSX and Tricky, I was very much looking forward to the reboot of SSX. I hate to admit to being disappointed, but that would be the nicest way to sum up my feelings regarding this game. After the tutorials and the first mountain series, I was cautiously optimistic I may enjoy it. Sure, the controls are VERY fidgety, and I told myself I would just need time getting used to it's sluggishness and unresponsive feel. I even enjoyed the first Deadly Descent. It was only then that everything started getting a little complex. The wing suit. The armour. The weather suit. The polarised lenses. All of these upgrades and add-ons which try to add an element of strategy and variety to preceedings - which is simply NOT what SSX is about or what SSX needs. For me, the joy of SSX in it's glorious early years was the brilliance of it's level design, the simplicity and fluidity of the controls and the gameplay. SSX used to make you WORK for your points and your combos, whereas now it is a veritable eyesore of mapped out jump ramps, endless amounts of grind rails (where you don't even have to balance on) and a trick control system which is just too unresponsive, over-populated and no longer engaging. Couple these faults with the frustrations within the game - the constant failure of the level design forcing you to plunge down invisible crevices to your untimely demise, the most pointless rewind facility in the history of video game design where YES, you can rewind your progress mid-event to correct your mistake but the AI opponents CONTINUE down the mountain (which completely belittles the reasoning behind a rewind system), the dreadful attempt at a story, the missed opportunities to create a world where you are encouraged to go off-piste and discover new locations, the constant infuriation of RiderLog telling me to make friends with random people just because their time was within 0.1 seconds of mine on any given event - put them all together and SSX smacks of "missed opportunity".

Perhaps my biggest frustration, however, is the end series of the World Tour. I know EA have a tendency to make short games - I was there for the full 4 hours SP campaign in Medal Of Honour, I was there for the 3.5 hour campaign of Battlefield 3 and by-God I was there for the 2 hour and 2 minutes it took me to finish Need For Speed The Run, but SSX can be gobbled up in 3 hours comfortably with the exception of the last mountain where the game goes on a difficulty spike so sharp, it can only be explained by the developers realising how short it was and they just didn't want you to finish it that quickly.

As much as my love for old-school SSX continues (indeed I dusted off my original Xbox for a bout of Tricky earlier today), EA have dropped a howler with this reboot. For those who never experienced the originals - it might have something here to satisfy. To anyone who knows and loves SSX from time-gone-by, prepared to be sorely disappointed. Which is a real, real shame.
  3. Feb 28, 2012
    No split screen .... unbelievable for a SSX game !!
    Multiplayer mode absolutely pathetic; no matchmaking ...
    I can't believe it ! ....
    I do not recommend it.
  4. Mar 10, 2012
    I can't believe this game. Everything that made the previous games fun are gone. The characters are no longer outspoken. Level design is atrocious. Why is there a tree right next to a jump? You literally fly into a tree. There is no multiplayer. Who wants to race against a ghost? Just when I tried to forgive this game, the unthinkable happens; now im not able to connect to RiderNet. So, I can't even play this game. Very horrible effort by EA. I have no idea what they were thinking. What happened to EA sports BIG? Expand
  5. Mar 3, 2012
    EA have taken one of my favorite games ever and smashed it to pieces. They have taken the parts and made this game leaving out the fun, scale and innovation. This is a terrible game that should be avoided.
  6. Mar 5, 2012
    This is not ssx. It's a wana be snowboard sim. It focuses on survival and NOT tricks which is the whole point of ssx. I've been a long time fan and I wish I didn't buy this one or see it be release. It's trash compared to tricky or 3
  7. bpk
    May 3, 2012
    I ended up trading the game in. I wanted so badly to like it, but after two months I stopped trying to make myself believe that I was having fun. I feel that the SSX dev team was sincerely committed to making a strong game and I give TB and the rest of the guys credit for strong post-launch support. At the end of the day, however, this game feels like a chore to play (at least to me) for the following reasons:

1. This game never shed the "deadly descent" idea of the original trailer. When the backlash occurred, they repackaged the game and stressed the lighter side...but the mountains clearly show the stamp of the "extreme" philosophy behind the game. Death pits and dying (in an SSX game???) are not why I play this series. More forgiving courses exist but they are few and far between. It's a strange game where only 1/3 of the racing drops are fun to me. Give me Snowdream, Elysium Alps, and Merqury City any day.

2. The "equipment" is gimmicky and adds nothing to the series. I don't want to buy oxygen tanks, pulse goggles, or headlamps. All I want to do is shred down the mountain. The previous SSX games charmed me with their simplicity. This game bludgeons me over the head with forced equipment.

3. Split-screen multiplayer. Didn't realize I'd miss it this much until I sat down with my sibblings and we could only watch each other play. Some of my most fun gaming memories are playing Tricky and SSX3 with my sister. Racing or tricking against her while being in the same room was just a blast. I understand why the team axed it - and to their credit the online mode is well implemented - but this generation's trend away from split screen gaming has been a big letdown. 4. I played SSX3 and Tricky the other day and, despite these games being over a decade old, I was instantly having fun. I don't get this with the new SSX. It simply makes me want to rage.

I'm glad that the DLC returns to the roots of the series, but for me it's too little too late. Having spent $60 by buying this on day one, spending another $8 to get the "classic" SSX experience is a slap in the face. I also find it revealing that the first DLC is a nod to the previous games. Perhaps the dev team sensed that they alienated some of the old-time fans of the series. To conclude, I'm jealous of those of you who enjoy the game. Like many of us, I badly wanted and waited for an SSX game this gen. The series has changed and while it may seem for the better to some, I can't help but feel let down. Looks like it's back to Tricky and 3 for another decade. :)
  8. Feb 28, 2012
    This game is garbage. You can literally win a game by not touching the controller! You have to actually TRY to crash or fail. This game is a testament to the hand holding in modern console games. Go search Youtube for "SSX no controller" to see what I am talking about. It also requires an online pass which you have to pay for in order to get the online features. When you get online you will be disappointed to find a lack of multiplayer... Its limited to ghosts only, no head to head modes... Expand
  9. May 2, 2012
    This "SSX" title is further proof that EA deserved The Worst Company in America award this year. Like why are their so many positive reviews for this garbage. If we as gamers keep praising CRAP, then all we are going to get is CRAP. The levels are god awful (but looked fun in the trailers), The characters rarely talk or taunt their competitiors ( and when they do talk you can barely even hear them). RiderNet? WTF is that, and NO MULTIPLAYER OR SPLITSCREEN! Why would they take out such a basic function that was in every previous title? All in all SSX 3 will always be the best and last good SSX game in the series. Expand
  10. Mar 13, 2012
    This game could've been fun if it wasn't so frustrating and hard, this game is ridiculously hard for no actual reason, people don't play these games to be skull rammed so hard they have to break something. The goal of the campaign is to come third in every event and become the best, honestly at least 70% of the events it has been made impossible to get 1st, why do they do this? Who knows. It is the worst system for game where you want some laidback fun with your mates... But ohhhhh wait there is no online or local play so you cant have a laugh with some mates!!!! Whose idea was that. Honestly. Who?! I want names! So yes don't play this game!!!!!!! Expand
  11. Apr 20, 2012
    It took me 5 hours to realize that this game is actually just very dull. The tracks are a sprawling mess which would require a lifetime of play to memorize so going and finding shortcuts etc is just a pointless exercise. The control system is just rubbish, you basically push the stick to select which route you want to take and the game does the rest for you, it's often a case of trying to avoid grinding a certain rail. The trick system has turned into a button mashing exercise as there is no risk in deciding to go for uber-tricks anymore as all tricks land as long as you release the button before you land.

Very disappointed, I think the developers should have made less content but concentrated on making the individual runs as fun and as memorable as possible.
  12. May 20, 2012
    SSX was never a realistic game and wanted to do it now ruining the game completely. SSX3 I liked and thought that the new SSX would look like and do not recommend this new version.
  13. Mar 1, 2012
    If they cut any more corners, there would be nothing left. No splitscreen, no skiing?! WTF. Why would they just take a complete step back from previous installments. Whatever, I will just keep playing on tour. I hope the man who created this game burns in hell.
  14. Jun 26, 2012
    I've been a fan and Tricky Gamer since the beginning. I bought the game assuming online play would be a no brainer.....WRONG! The graphics are gorgeous and gameplay of single player is a lot of fun. Opened all the mountains around the globe...fun.... but ... wait for it..... ONLINE PASSCODE no longer works. No access to the online play and all the things I've opened(characters, mountains, etc.) GONE! It's been 3 weeks trying to work out the details with EA support in India - NO GO! Looking forward to Comicon where I can go tell these EA guys off. Awful customer service and the new Online Passcode jargon is a joke! Do not recommend any EA game because of this. Expand
  15. Feb 9, 2014
    Just logged in to give a zero. Nuff said.

Gameplay is not fun, I don't think there is much more to say after that. Clumsy snowboarding and clumsy level design.

Two words so sum up the game, frustrating and messy.
  16. Jan 2, 2013
    This game has the absolute worst control I have seen in a long time. Every controller input has a delay that hinders any fun this game may have had. This game is not worth purchasing at all.

1. May 5, 2012
    The creators succeeded in reviving the SSX-franchise. The slopes are varied, challenging and incredibly fast. There is always challenge to be found, especially in the expansive multiplayer, but new players shouldn't have any problems picking it up.
  2. Apr 12, 2012
    Kudos to the development team for creating some truly insane courses. [May 2012, p.72]
  3. Apr 11, 2012
    Whether your favorite was SSX Tricky or SSX 3, this latest entry, simply titled "SSX," has virtually nothing to do with the franchise fans fell in love. Voiceovers from DJ Atomika have been slapped on top to reassure you that yes, you're playing an SSX game, but the gameplay, courses, and overall quality are saying something else entirely.