SSX Xbox 360

6.3

1. Feb 28, 2012
    A great symbiosis between fun and competition and a brisk blow in times of a realism plagued MW & BF gaming world. Fast, tricky and some new features which make it worth buying.
  2. May 23, 2012
    Absolutely one of the most fun times I have had with a game EVER! Something about this game just clicked with me, which is especially weird since this was my first outing with an SSX title. It wasn't long after I bought the game, that I was cruising down the mountain posting multi-million point scores. I must say that the game does a great job of making you feel awesome while you shredAbsolutely one of the most fun times I have had with a game EVER! Something about this game just clicked with me, which is especially weird since this was my first outing with an SSX title. It wasn't long after I bought the game, that I was cruising down the mountain posting multi-million point scores. I must say that the game does a great job of making you feel awesome while you shred down the mountain. The Rider-Net feature is also amazing as it is constantly updating you with stats from your friends list as they/you beat each others high scores. Even the story (although short) was entertaining as it introduces you to a lot of the other things the game has to offer besides besting my friends scores. An absolute must buy! Expand
  3. Feb 28, 2012
    dont let other confuses you, THERE IS REAL TIME MULTIPLAYER, the only difference is that there is no lobbys, but they cant fix it with a patch. awesome game, awesome graphics, ton of content and replayebility, great soundtrack. this is the game of the year for me.
  4. Feb 29, 2012
    I haven't been this addicted to a game in a long time. I never thought a snowboarding game could be be better than Amped 3, but man am I glad to be wrong. I didn't care too much for the older ssx games; they just weren't polished enough on the control side of things and didn't have enough customization or replay value. SSX brings all that and so much more. The campaign mode has youI haven't been this addicted to a game in a long time. I never thought a snowboarding game could be be better than Amped 3, but man am I glad to be wrong. I didn't care too much for the older ssx games; they just weren't polished enough on the control side of things and didn't have enough customization or replay value. SSX brings all that and so much more. The campaign mode has you traversing trick and race modes on your way to conquer 9 different "deadly descents" which each require you too wear and learn how to use pieces of equipment to survive. I wasn't sure about how I felt about them the first couple of trips down, but now competing to get the best scores or times against not only my friends list, but the whole world is amazing. It adds a new layer of depth to an already complex game. You level up your characters and earn credits through just about everything you do. A level 4 character with good level 4 equipment might score a 4million run and a level 10 character with the best equipment might score an 80million run, so the competition is exciting and rewarding. I prefer this set-up to finding lobbies and competing against a few strangers who might have better stats than you anytime. There are plenty of varieties to the courses and difficulty ranges from letting go of the controller to get down the mountain all the way up to wtf times 11. The music is good but uploading your own tracks doesn't hurt after continuous hours of play. This game has great environmental graphics and character movement is hypnotic to watch with glowing stuff flying all over the screen. Loading times are thankfully very brief and if you do mess up it's likely player fault thanks to excellent tight controls. I'm looking forward to my next session and I can't wait to see the dlc for this game. Pick it up you like snowboarding, tony hawk games, competition games, racing games, easy games, hard games, there's something here for almost everyone. I couldn't give this game more thumbs up if I were someone with alot of thumbs. that sounded better in my head. see you in the sky. oh yeh, geotags are cool too. Expand
  5. Mar 5, 2012
    The usual garbage from EA. First they destroy NFS now this. Split-screen taken away and no multiplayer. This is horrible even from EA standards. All effort put into single-player, which can be beaten in 5 hours. Instead of multiplayer high score system is in place, meaning you never race with anyone, you just try to beat scores. No competitiveness, and the game has been completelyThe usual garbage from EA. First they destroy NFS now this. Split-screen taken away and no multiplayer. This is horrible even from EA standards. All effort put into single-player, which can be beaten in 5 hours. Instead of multiplayer high score system is in place, meaning you never race with anyone, you just try to beat scores. No competitiveness, and the game has been completely destroyed. SSX adds to the series that EA has destroyed. Except they somehow screwed this up worse than other series. Sure the gameplays good, thats about the only good thing about the game. Content wise its rubbish. Expand
  6. Feb 29, 2012
    Ive started playing SSX at the first game on my PS2. The SSX Journey have been very long, and good. I still play SSX 3 and im lovin' it. But when i bought this... The Social Competition with your friends will never end. Those who think different are losers.
  7. Mar 1, 2012
    So i have been a fan of SSX since the first game, and when i heard they were bringing back the series, i was super stoked. Im even more stoked to actually play it. So far Ive played a good 8 hours and im very satisfied with the final product. the controls are very easy for beginners and feel solid, the tricks are even more outrageous. Theres 3 parts to the game; World Tour, Explore, andSo i have been a fan of SSX since the first game, and when i heard they were bringing back the series, i was super stoked. Im even more stoked to actually play it. So far Ive played a good 8 hours and im very satisfied with the final product. the controls are very easy for beginners and feel solid, the tricks are even more outrageous. Theres 3 parts to the game; World Tour, Explore, and Global Events. World Tour is basically the story but more of an extended tutorial that unloacks parts of Explore and sets you up with characters that you may not even want to have tried. Explore is the main meat of the game. Explore has a total of 153 events. Yes this is a very good thing, a lot of game, cant really run out quickly, but each event is essentially doubled. if theres a trick event (who has the highest score) or race, theres always the other event with the exact same track. Also most lines down a mountain feed into the same end. Not what I was expecting but theres still so much to do, its easy to look past. Lastly Global Events is basically the multiplayer. people set up an event on a track, anyone can acess it, set a score and the top players walk away with potentially a lot of credits (the in game currency to buy boards, suits and other accessories). to give you an idea of this, I entered a trick event, set a score of 12 million, i hold a platinum medal and when the event ends, i might win over 300 thousand credits. I say might because i might get knocked out of that spot and the more people who enter the event adds to the overall credit pool which is the credits the top players win. Now new to SSX are these Deadly Descents and Ridernet. The descents are kinda cool, the main purpose is to make it down the mountain alive. Some are a little cheesey but like I said theyre still cool. And Ridernet is basically Need for Speeds Auto log, a network where you and your friends compete with each other. This is really cool because you follow every run your friends do and they follow evey run you do and you strive to beat your friends scores in Explore. Theres a bunch of other smaller aspects to the game that make this a very cool, and endlessly replayable game. I highly recommend this game. Expand
  8. Mar 2, 2012
    This SSX is a big sorprise, because is like a new burnout, but without cars, the characters wow, this is a great job of Electronic Arts, a new version of one of the better games that have. SSX is awesome.
  9. Feb 28, 2012
    I've been a fan of the SSX series since the first release of SSX on the PS2. Though I lost a little interest after SSX 3 seeing "On Tour" and "Blur" seemed a little ridiculous so I stuck with SSX 3 until I got burnt out and moved on. It had been years since I've played any of the previous SSX titles so I got online to check and see if any new titles were in the near future and sure enough,I've been a fan of the SSX series since the first release of SSX on the PS2. Though I lost a little interest after SSX 3 seeing "On Tour" and "Blur" seemed a little ridiculous so I stuck with SSX 3 until I got burnt out and moved on. It had been years since I've played any of the previous SSX titles so I got online to check and see if any new titles were in the near future and sure enough, SSX was coming to 360 and PS3 and it looked amazing. I waited impatiently for the demo to release on XBL and honestly, the demo doesn't do the game justice. The new "Survive It" mode is intense. It has a new feel with new controls but for SSX veterans, you have the option to switch it to old school controls but it seems you don't twist and turn as fast as the default controls. It takes a couple races and trick sessions to get used to, but once you have it down you'll be carving down every mountain with ease. There is a lot more I could say, but I'm sure you've already heard. This game brings back good memories that I had with SSX but in a new and more intense way. You will enjoy this if you're an SSX fan so pick it up right now and get to shreddin'!! Expand
  10. Feb 28, 2012
    Finaly we get it ! best ssx incarnation of all time !! didn't know why Edge gave it a 5 it sems they dont know what a Snowboard is used to be !
    but anyway good job EA
  11. Feb 28, 2012
    The perfect SSX game. Waited for many years for this and was not dissapointed. The person who submitted a 4/10 review is simply idiotic. Saying the multiplayer is pathetic or whatever he said is rediculous. Rather than put out the same old outdated lobby system where you spend more time waiting then playing, they made the genius RiderNet system, which will keep groups of friends locked inThe perfect SSX game. Waited for many years for this and was not dissapointed. The person who submitted a 4/10 review is simply idiotic. Saying the multiplayer is pathetic or whatever he said is rediculous. Rather than put out the same old outdated lobby system where you spend more time waiting then playing, they made the genius RiderNet system, which will keep groups of friends locked in competition for ages. If you have a decent group of friends this type of multiplayer will provide you with much more entertainment than 'traditional' multiplayer. Oh and yes there IS real time multiplayer, dont let others tell you otherwise. Its called Global Events. This game is easy to pick up and play, and feel like your awesome, but difficult to master. The Ridernet systen and brilliant online features will keep you playing for absoloutely ages. They listenes to the fans and did exactly what was asked. Ssx is back, and this is possibly the best one yet. Definately the best reboot I've ever played. 10/10 Expand
  12. Feb 29, 2012
    Do not listen to these trolls with there negative reviews! the game itself does not require a online pass if purchased new it comes with a code. There is a TON of multiplayer in this game. yes some of the multiplayer is in the form of global events were many plays all compete but if you want to just play with your friends you simply make a friends only global event. BOOM! your playing withDo not listen to these trolls with there negative reviews! the game itself does not require a online pass if purchased new it comes with a code. There is a TON of multiplayer in this game. yes some of the multiplayer is in the form of global events were many plays all compete but if you want to just play with your friends you simply make a friends only global event. BOOM! your playing with your friends on your own private drop. This SSX is everything i hoped for plus more. it is an exceptional game in every possible way. And for all those that are complaining about there being no Split Screen. the reason this is so is because of the massive scale of the drops a normal display would not allow both players to see enough of the terrain ahead to be able to enjoy the drop. you would be limited to what you could see making finding the best spots very difficult

Finally if you have ever played SSX before and found any amount of joy in it this game is for YOU.
    - It does everything an SSX game should do.
    - It allows for insane tricks and races down the most unimaginably fun drops.
    -And with 153 different events, not including custom global events were you set the rules, there is enough content to keep you coming back to compete with rivals over and over again.
  13. Feb 29, 2012
    I loved SSX 3 and I love this. This game is everything it needed to be. A more polished version of the old SSX games with more content. Definately not regretting thus purchase!
  14. Mar 11, 2012
    Game is amazing. You will love it. I've never played a snowboarding game I love as much as this. That said, it is a bit of button masher, but still it is awesome.
  15. Mar 21, 2012
    Great game. Extremely fun and addictive. The best non-shooter game out there at the moment. (Best shooter being Mass Effect 3)
  16. Mar 21, 2012
    WOW! incredible... this game is so fun and addictive. A must buy. The best out of the SSX series and the third masterpiece of the year from electronic arts. (Kings of Amatur: Rekoning, and Mass Effect 3 (Insane!).
  17. May 5, 2012
    If I would have written a review during the first few hours of playing this game, I would have ranted about how it's changed, how there are far more hazards and the overall courses are a lot less friendly.

Now that I've poured dozens of hours into it to get a good feel for the game, I absolutely love it. The explore mode is where the real game is. Once you get the hang of it it stops being frustrating and starts being a fun challenge - hey, if you can't finish one event on a track, try another one, or another track, seriously there are dozens of them. The world event is really a cool feature too, it makes the game fresh when you've gotten tired of the records offline. Absolutely adore it, great buy at only $40 dollars new right now, I recommend this to anyone who likes technical/twitch games like I do.
  18. May 17, 2012
    SSX is back and it brings back all of the classic nostalgia of being an extreme snowboarder. The term, "Defy Reality," is what simply describes this intense snowboarding game. It has been such a long time since a new and worthy SSX title has been released. This reboot of the title is very worthy of the name. You have single player story mode called "World Tour," which helps you get a feelSSX is back and it brings back all of the classic nostalgia of being an extreme snowboarder. The term, "Defy Reality," is what simply describes this intense snowboarding game. It has been such a long time since a new and worthy SSX title has been released. This reboot of the title is very worthy of the name. You have single player story mode called "World Tour," which helps you get a feel of what SSX is really about. And then you have the competitive but still technically single player mode, "Explore," which allows you to race, and set record times down online for your friends to try and beat. You can also set trick score records down along with survival records in Deadly Descents which your friends are also able to try and beat. And finally, the online game mode, also known as, "Global Events." Global Events allows you to go online and compete against thousands upon thousands of people. You set scores down and fall into a certain bracket average with other people. You and the other people within that bracket will gain credits by the end of the event. Credits are used to purchase new suits, boards, survival equipment and more. The online is fun, but you aren't able to face your friends or others in real time. You face their ghosts that aren't really live people playing. That is kind of a bummer, but the game is still an amazing reboot of the SSX franchise and I can't wait to play the next one! Expand
  19. Feb 28, 2012
    Ah! SSX! I've been waiting for you ever since SSX 3! And yes, I realize that there were other SSX games which came out after #3 but I can't say they wowed me in any sort of way (especially 'Blur' which was a HUGE disappointment). Thankfully, the reboot is fun, fast, beautifully detailed, challenging, hard to put down and, most importantly, never dull.
    However, there are a few minor
    However, there are a few minor problems which, in my opinion, keep the game from earning a perfect 10: the pre-set soundtrack (by far the worst in the series), the randomization of the custom soundtrack (or LACK of randomization), and the bizarre omission of 2-player split-screen action. Let's start with the soundtrack: The tunes which came with the game are achingly bad... so terrible in fact that I had to mute the game on many occasions to avoid having my ears sullied with such boring mediocrity. Luckily enough there is a custom soundtrack option so shredding the mountain to your favorite tunes is a possibility (or mandatory if you're like me and can't stand the lack-luster pre-set songs). Still, there is a problem with this... the randomizer on the ps3 playlist sucks! I had a playlist of over 200 songs yet I keep hearing the same 20 or so over and over (Iâ
  20. Dec 24, 2014
    This marks only the second snowboarding game I've played and the first one in this series. All I can say is that I'm very impressed. It sacrifices realism in favor of insane tricks and tracks. You can tell it's trying to be a fast and exciting ride, and for the most part it succeeds.

The only issue it has is that it can be a brutal experience for newcomers or those who just don't have mad skills. Repeated deaths and failures can lead to frustration. You'll need to hone your skills in order to progress. Practice definitely makes perfect here. The game does have a few systems in place to help those of us who aren't masters of the board.

The online is filled with events that will have you competing against others in things like trick challenges. Winning will net you some in-game currency that you can use to buy new gear. Some of which will help you survive those deadly descents.

Overall this is an excellent snowboarding game. One with a solid and challenging story-mode and enough multiplayer events to keep you coming back. My total score for the game is a 9.2/10.
  21. Feb 29, 2012
    I been a ssx fan for a long time now and I will first say this isnt ssx tricky as I hoped it would be but it is a lot better then ssx on tour or ssx 3. The tricks are even more insane then tricky which I actually didn't want because I thought they were just right back then. The different boards have varied stats and there are items you can buy with in game currency that will change yourI been a ssx fan for a long time now and I will first say this isnt ssx tricky as I hoped it would be but it is a lot better then ssx on tour or ssx 3. The tricks are even more insane then tricky which I actually didn't want because I thought they were just right back then. The different boards have varied stats and there are items you can buy with in game currency that will change your attributes which is all fine but the added extra items I dislike except the wingsuit which allows you to clear massive gaps(short bursts of flight) The amount of courses is very impressive and the added competitiveness of beating your friends ghost times or trick scores is very fun. All in all I would reccomend this for anyone who loves ssx,snowboarding or any type of arcade game where you can rack up points doing insane things. It seems a lot easier then ever before which will cater to casual players but with the sheer number of courses and all the fun that is offered here it isn't much of a detractor.Enjoy! xbox360 gamertag solsunforge. Look me up I need the competition. Expand
  22. Feb 28, 2012
    A fantastic evolution of the SSX franchise. The important feeling of speed, immense jumps, and ridiculous tricks are all here! A common complaint is a lack of traditional multiplayer, but I find the "Ridernet" multiplayer system to make up for it. While you cannot race a friend immediately next to you on the couch or participate in the matchmaking game types many are familiar with, youA fantastic evolution of the SSX franchise. The important feeling of speed, immense jumps, and ridiculous tricks are all here! A common complaint is a lack of traditional multiplayer, but I find the "Ridernet" multiplayer system to make up for it. While you cannot race a friend immediately next to you on the couch or participate in the matchmaking game types many are familiar with, you instead race your friend's and online opponents ghosts. The intense white-knuckle competition still exists, and it's awesome to know that your high score will be announced to your friends and other players you have crushed. I highly recommend picking SSX up today! Expand
  23. Apr 5, 2012
    SSX is packed full of intense snowboarding with a fun arcade feel. It rewards skill, but isn't too demanding that it becomes a chore just to finish. Not every course is perfect and some border on downright frustrating with thin trails and bottomless pits, but they're certainly not impossible. Veterans of the over-the-top series will feel right at home on the slopes, even if the mountainsSSX is packed full of intense snowboarding with a fun arcade feel. It rewards skill, but isn't too demanding that it becomes a chore just to finish. Not every course is perfect and some border on downright frustrating with thin trails and bottomless pits, but they're certainly not impossible. Veterans of the over-the-top series will feel right at home on the slopes, even if the mountains are now truer to life. I can't help having a good time trying to top the leaderboards, unlock better gear and just see what I'm capable of if I attempt that last run one more time. The increased focus on survival might not win over the non-believers, but SSX is definitely worth at least a try for those unfamiliar with the series and, who knows, you just might find yourself addicted to the board by the time you reach the bottom of the mountain. Expand
  24. Feb 29, 2012
    One of the best action sports games I've played in a while. Brings back the memories for sure. I don't know why people are complaining about the controls, they're smooth and quick to get used to. All 3 different game modes are great and perfectly integrated with the "Rider Net" online. Good job EA.
  25. Feb 28, 2012
    SSX is to put it simply a phenomenal game, one that I was greatly surprised by. After playing the demo, I was definitely convinced to buy this game and I am so glad I did, despite a few difficulty spikes this game is fun to play and watch the environment unfold in front of you. I am enjoying every single run that I have done thus far and the controls are so brilliantly mapped to where theSSX is to put it simply a phenomenal game, one that I was greatly surprised by. After playing the demo, I was definitely convinced to buy this game and I am so glad I did, despite a few difficulty spikes this game is fun to play and watch the environment unfold in front of you. I am enjoying every single run that I have done thus far and the controls are so brilliantly mapped to where the game just feels 'right'. The animations are also phenomenal yielding some crazy ass tricks and some really cool atmospheric conditions. Overall I would recommend this game to anyone considering how fun it is to play not to mention watch and the implementation of rider net (aka autolog, battlelog etc) is really interesting as you can race 'ghost' versions of your friends times as well as race against them in real time. SSX is a phenomenal reboot for EA and I am hoping they continue this franchise. Expand
  26. Mar 3, 2012
    Great music, addictive game play, and a absolute blast to play. Competition with friends is amazing, aside from the lack of direct multiplayer. If you loved ANY of the other SSX games - this is a no question purchase.
  27. Mar 3, 2012
    SSX is finally back after a long wait and does not let down. The main grip to be with game is its too hard, why don't you go cry about it? Skill levels of gamer's are raising so they make tracks to match for the high skills of players. Personally I enjoy a challenge, it is something that I feel that modern games have lost with the run, shoot and punch (or stab) cookie cutter call ofSSX is finally back after a long wait and does not let down. The main grip to be with game is its too hard, why don't you go cry about it? Skill levels of gamer's are raising so they make tracks to match for the high skills of players. Personally I enjoy a challenge, it is something that I feel that modern games have lost with the run, shoot and punch (or stab) cookie cutter call of duty's flooding the online services with people that think that is skill. But SSX stands out as one as the most fun and most challenging games to come out this decade. They want to vary it up so be thankful they care more about being fun then milking you for a $60 "game" that is really just next years model. So if your tired of shoot, go prone then shoot again this is a game to get, see you on the slopes! Expand
  28. Feb 28, 2012
    I've played every single SSX game to date, and every time after SSX 3 i have been severely let down, even 3 didn't have the flair that trick did. This game is an almost perfect marriage between Tricky and 3. The open world from 3 and the absolutely over the top tricks from tricky. Only one thing makes me lower the score from a perfect 10 and that the fact that its missing couch co-op.I've played every single SSX game to date, and every time after SSX 3 i have been severely let down, even 3 didn't have the flair that trick did. This game is an almost perfect marriage between Tricky and 3. The open world from 3 and the absolutely over the top tricks from tricky. Only one thing makes me lower the score from a perfect 10 and that the fact that its missing couch co-op. Playing SSX tricky the main thing me and my friends did was go to Pipe Dream and try for the biggest scores and biggest air. The only way this game could get any better is if they re-introduce that type of multi-player. Expand
  29. Feb 28, 2012
    Edge magazine is just another one of those crappy reviewers who's biased and too harsh on game scores. They rate 85% lower than avg critics, explaining this stupidly low score for a game deserving no less than a 75 or 80 at absolute worst. Meanwhile they also rated games like "Monster Rancher 4", and "Indiana Jones the Emperors tomb" (which was so bad they said it had instant deathEdge magazine is just another one of those crappy reviewers who's biased and too harsh on game scores. They rate 85% lower than avg critics, explaining this stupidly low score for a game deserving no less than a 75 or 80 at absolute worst. Meanwhile they also rated games like "Monster Rancher 4", and "Indiana Jones the Emperors tomb" (which was so bad they said it had instant death glitches) HIGHER than SSX. Seriously? MONSTER RANCHER?? What a terrible reviewer. Expand
  30. Mar 6, 2012
    This might be the best game in the series.
    +Amazing Graphics with colorful visuals
    +Deadly Descents are an amazing addition and keep you on your toes
    +Control is fluid and is Pick up and Play
    -NO HEAD TO HEAD MULTIPLAYER!!!!!
  31. Jun 5, 2012
    I really. Liked this game. Great in game music, and overall very fun. A good amount of customization, and terific slopes provided to board down.. I Played one of the origonals on the ps2, and admitingly it was abit better. But this is definatly worth the buy. And a TON of tricks to pull, some insane. Its worth it just to see the tricks!
  32. Mar 25, 2012
    It's a really good game, but a few inconsistencies stop it from being great. Mainly the soundtrack was an instant turn off for me. It was a poor selection of mismatched beats that get broken up by the game filtering them in and out and throwing in a dubstep remix of Tricky , every ...single...time.. you get Tricky mode was killing me. I had to turn it all off and put on some music thatIt's a really good game, but a few inconsistencies stop it from being great. Mainly the soundtrack was an instant turn off for me. It was a poor selection of mismatched beats that get broken up by the game filtering them in and out and throwing in a dubstep remix of Tricky , every ...single...time.. you get Tricky mode was killing me. I had to turn it all off and put on some music that wouldn't get interrupted by such nonsense. Sad thing is, most of what I listen to is actually similar, but the game companies treat music as a simple asset and not an actual part of the game that helps with concentration and flow. I also feel like once you do get tricky , the tricks actually get more boring. With only a couple different rail trick animations, it doesn't feel like I'm mixing a whole lot into my runs, though the "pick a hand or both" grab system is fun to work with. I'm not huge on the World Event online hub thing either. I tend to question why one person can have literally twice the score as the second one out of "luck", and 83,000+ people can be competing on the same even while meanwhile I'm getting free diamonds from stuff that no one is doing because I win by default, thus making more money than the people throwing themselves at a leaderboard that they possibly can't even break into. It's a flawed system, but being able to directly challenge my friends is golden, so I'm not sure where people came off with no multi-player complaints because the system is there in abundance. Also I can't complain about the difficulty and I'm not sure why others do. I'm GLAD its very challenging and even when its not it has a rewind function and the World Tour will even finish levels for you. It's a shame those people didn't give it enough chance to see the Alps levels and others because they described the experience they were looking for. (mindless trick mashing with no danger). I guess the game didn't play by itself? ...We need more hard games like this, not stuff that was meant for people that should've just stuck to Pokeman and anime in the first place. Expand
  33. Mar 30, 2012
    I originally rated this game a 6, and wrote the review that follows at the end here. While I feel that all of my initial criticisms are still valid, now that I've spent more time with the game (I later received it as a gift) I have grown to much more appreciate its merits, and am now revising my rating to an 8. This was largely inspired by the depth I've come to find in improving myI originally rated this game a 6, and wrote the review that follows at the end here. While I feel that all of my initial criticisms are still valid, now that I've spent more time with the game (I later received it as a gift) I have grown to much more appreciate its merits, and am now revising my rating to an 8. This was largely inspired by the depth I've come to find in improving my performances at the numerous events, which is really what this game is all about. It's highly addicting to always have a new ghost rider alongside, often an xbox friend, doing just slightly better than you, and then learning one more skillful move to execute on the run and best them. Usually this is immediately followed by finding a tougher opponent's performance ready to further your challenge and keep the pressure on.. There is a lot of skill to be mastered in game, much more so than I originally gave the game credit for, and I really think folks complaining about the controls just haven't given it enough time. I also like how the game makes you "bet" on yourself and how well you can compete by forcing you to spend your own in-game currency savings on event entry fees. (Place at least moderately well and you'll win back that fee and some profit. You'll use these earnings to buy better gear, but skill will still mostly decide your performance.) There are still a lot of courses I avoid because they feature too much cheap death or not-fun gameplay for my taste, but out of the huge number of runs I've found at least a few dozen that are a blast to play, which is more than prior gen titles offered in total. And who knows, maybe you'll like some runs I hate, so there's probably something for everybody. So I'd say now, if you're on the fence, definitely give this game at least a rental, just be prepared to invest some time in really mastering it. (And don't be expecting a remake of SSX 3!) // My Original Review (original score = 6): I adored SSX 3, and happily wiled away a good many hours carving and tricking my way down the Mountain. I used to love the 20 minute long runs from summit to base and all the untouched, freshly powdered wilderness I could explore. This new game is not that SSX. It's a pretty solid game, but it just didn't do it for me. For me, in this version, most courses end up feeling pretty similar. There is some variety to be sure, mostly involving gimmicks like the wing suit, but when it comes to the bread and butter runs, it all kind of blurs together for me, and most runs are lacking in stand out moments. Maybe that's more so because this version puts marked ramps, rails (so many rails) and flare lights on every single run in the game. So there's no real back country any more, and not a single run looks truly "natural". And for all the ramp markings it does add, it seems to intentionally not mark any of the many sudden drops off into a deadly chasm. This leads to a ridiculous amount of cheap deaths on most of the harder runs until you memorize the course. This is not remotely fun. It would have made so much more sense to mark them with signs or paint or something so you could plan your lines to avoid them. What's worse is that all these fatal chasms have some kind of cloudy layer over them, that is the same color and a similar texture as the snow! So sometimes you might even see them coming over the next ledge but can't distinguish them from a safe landing spot until you're well on your way to plummeting to your death. It's kind of ridiculous, and it's so prevalent on so many runs that I'd mark down a review score point just for that. Sure there's rewind, but that eats so much time during races (the other riders keep going) that you might as well restart your run if you're serious about your finishing time. Also rewind is hard to use, because you often can't readily gauge the least amount of time you'd need to rewind to have enough control to alter course. Too often I'd rewind and then realize I was still carrying so much momentum, or that some ill fated trick was still getting ready to happen, that my fate was still sealed. The best feature is probably the online play. If you like competing they've got you covered in spades, and it seems to work great. I found myself getting addicted to competing in the global events, even as I was finding myself bored and unsatisfied with the overall game. Sure it's all a matter of doing the same thing over and over again, but if you do it enough, you can start to win and enjoy that fleeting rush of superiority. The graphics are solid, though I would have hoped for more weather effects. At least I'd have expected it to carry the bar set by its nine-years-older predecessor. Overall, it's a fine game, but if you loved SSX3, I think you'll be at least a little disappointed. Some better course designs could have improved the game so much. I'm sure many will enjoy this game, and I was glad I rented it, but I was really hoping for better.. Expand
  34. Feb 28, 2012
    The game is the Next-Gen version of one of the most classic games in Snowboarding in other consoles of past generations: SSX (Snowboarding Supercross) has a story based on 3 characters of the franchise, who want to ellect the 9 best snowboarders in the world, and to do this, they create a competition in various mountains, in all continents (there are 27 mountains in 9 continents, includingThe game is the Next-Gen version of one of the most classic games in Snowboarding in other consoles of past generations: SSX (Snowboarding Supercross) has a story based on 3 characters of the franchise, who want to ellect the 9 best snowboarders in the world, and to do this, they create a competition in various mountains, in all continents (there are 27 mountains in 9 continents, including Antarctica). The game brings back new and classic characters of various incarnations of the game: this title in particular has one of its most widely spoken (by the developers at EA Canada) innovations, the use of satellite maps from NASA to recreate the mountains in the game, with a reworking of it's features, and the interaction with players around the world (both of them, that we have already seen in Stoked, by the way). The gameplay basics: your character is able to perform the most diverse maneuvers, with simple combinations of buttons/analog controls, which fills bars of "special" moves, that let you perform craziest tricks yet - and you earn credits in competitions, using them to buy various accessories that allow from changing the characters clothing, to improving their individual characteristics. The "special" bars are of two types: the first a bar, is the "Tricky", where usual special maneuvers are made, and the maximum special bar, where you can perform the "Uber Tricks", which are the signature manuvers of each character, and the most impressive.With the credits you earn, you can buy from new clothing or accessories for your character, to equipment (including boards, which improve the basic attributes: Speed, Boost and Tricks), protective equipment (against impact in the "survival" modes), and other Boost upgrades for the player stats, that can be in Slots. The controls are simple and intuitive: analog sticks are used to rotate (LS) and maneuver (RS), and these can also be made with the respective control buttons, according to their position.Through the gameplay, you gain XP and Credits that are used to buy upgrades and accessories, respectively. There are the traditional tracks, where the goal is to compete against other player for points, and races modes, both normal and a variant with obstacles - and you can play both in day or night (much worse for the race with obstacles, by the way).In addition to the traditional modes where you follow the "story" and challenges the game, the main menu is a little confusing, in the style of Stoked, where you can access some of challenges and of course the part online, not tested - this incarnation of the game also use helicopters (as in Stoked) and wingsuit, (driven by RB).The online part is in the form of Global Events, where you can access constants challenges against any user connected to the EA server, and can also see all other users while they are in the same region you running around.The graphics are good: the style is the same cartoon -look, but more detailed and elaborate: some pixelation can be seen in the general details of the textures and menus, but not the characters. Overall the detail is not as good as other titles, as Stoked (who has the best graphics, in my opinion): light effects, are good too, but not a hypnotic thing as in previous versions of the franchise.The character style is exaggerated - for those unfamiliar with the series, they resemble the characters of Saints Row.The environments in the game are full of structures for tricks and grinds, among cliffs, gullies, trees, rails and everything else to be expected in a Snowboard game, but the graphics highlights in the game are the speed "feeling", huge jumps and mad maneuvers, and in these points, he impresses much more than the other snowboarding games in the Xbox 360.As for the sound track, the game has a particular style of presentation, that is the same of recent EA games (as in Dirt 3, among others), and features songs from various groups, ranging from styles such as Hip-Hop, Drum and Bass and electronics (particularly the lack of Rock bothers me, but there is the option to use a set list of your Xbox360 musics, and to disable the songs you do not like).The voices of the characters and their interjections, are irritating some times, but nothing like in Shaun White (thanks God), but in general are well balanced and appropriate to the game.My opinion?Graphically speaking, this is not the best game of Snowboarding in Xbox360 (not spectacular, but very good), but the high point of all the franchise, still is the Gameplay, so, in that respect, he is the best Xbox360 snowboarding game, ARCADE style, leaving behind Amped 3 and Shaun White Snowboarding (the worst game of the genre in my opinion).I did not think this game is the best of the SSX series, but it is a good return of the SSX, in a incarnation with new features added, and above all fun (which is all that matters); I expected more out of it in the total, but I am well pleased. My score: 8.2 / 10.0 Expand
  35. Feb 28, 2012
    You get the feeling like after they scrapped the whole edgy SSX they lost touch with the charm the game should have. The music is sorta weak with a few exceptions and the characters feel kinda boring.

Still though, the game is still SSX and it's still satisfying to land crazy tricks and go super fast.
  36. Mar 2, 2012
    The game overall is a very fun experience with absolutely tons of content. You can board down all the mountains in the world with multiple different characters. The graphics are very cool and the game flows well. It is easy to maintain big tricks and go as fast as you want. However, some things do bother me. I don't like that there is no offline multiplayer and even though the soundtrackThe game overall is a very fun experience with absolutely tons of content. You can board down all the mountains in the world with multiple different characters. The graphics are very cool and the game flows well. It is easy to maintain big tricks and go as fast as you want. However, some things do bother me. I don't like that there is no offline multiplayer and even though the soundtrack is edgy and matches the snowboard vibe, it can sometimes be annoying. The cut-scenes can be cheesy but it doesnt really take away from the game. Overall I would give this game about an 8.4. Expand
  37. Mar 8, 2012
    I haven't played an SSX game before, but from first seeing this i began looking forward to it. After spending over a week on the game it proved to be worth the wait...The World Tour Mode is the games closest thing to a story mode, and while it is short and often easy, it does a great job of introducing the game, the mountain ranges and the characters. The bulk of the game is then theI haven't played an SSX game before, but from first seeing this i began looking forward to it. After spending over a week on the game it proved to be worth the wait...The World Tour Mode is the games closest thing to a story mode, and while it is short and often easy, it does a great job of introducing the game, the mountain ranges and the characters. The bulk of the game is then the Explore mode, where you will be competing with friends and the computer to achieve the fastest time possible.... Then there is Global Events, a series of timed challenges across the drops where you can compete against thousands of other players, the faster you go, the higher you get paid. This is unfortunately as close as the game gets to multiplayer, you can see other players nearby but you are never really competing directly with them. A real time multiplayer mode would of done this game some huge favours..... The game has its problems, like all others. The sensitivity takes some time to get used to, and you will inevitably get stuck inside trees and rocks. It was also a shame to not see any real incentive to Gold Medal all 153 drops... Had it not been for the pursuit of achievements, i probably wouldn't of given this game too much time, but playing it while other friends were playing kept me interested and i enjoyed my time. Expand
  38. Mar 9, 2012
    very fun and addictive multiplayer, and an all-around fun filled game. i would say the game does get a little repetitive, but it is a really good game. my only complaint is that i don't think it will have much lasting appeal.
  39. Mar 10, 2012
    Fun revisit to the SSX franchise although I have two complaints. Firstly it can be a little lagged on my XBOX 360 from time to time, as the frame rate gets a tad jumpy, it doesn't happen often but it's disappointing when it does. Second, it's almost like it's trying to hard to be too hip... a little more tongue in cheek humor would have made it a bit more fun I think. Otherwise a fun game,Fun revisit to the SSX franchise although I have two complaints. Firstly it can be a little lagged on my XBOX 360 from time to time, as the frame rate gets a tad jumpy, it doesn't happen often but it's disappointing when it does. Second, it's almost like it's trying to hard to be too hip... a little more tongue in cheek humor would have made it a bit more fun I think. Otherwise a fun game, looks great on a big TV! Expand

1. May 5, 2012
    The creators succeeded in reviving the SSX-franchise. The slopes are varied, challenging and incredibly fast. There is always challenge to be found, especially in the expansive multiplayer, but new players shouldn't have any problems picking it up.
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kudos to the development team for creating some truly insane courses. [May 2012, p.72]
  3. Apr 11, 2012
    Whether your favorite was SSX Tricky or SSX 3, this latest entry, simply titled "SSX," has virtually nothing to do with the franchise fans fell in love. Voiceovers from DJ Atomika have been slapped on top to reassure you that yes, you're playing an SSX game, but the gameplay, courses, and overall quality are saying something else entirely.