2.7

1. May 29, 2013
    Average graphics, the levels weren't particularly imaginative, and the game play was nothing new. It's average little Star Trek shooter that ought to lend few hours of enjoyment to those who are fans of the new Star Trek series and 3rd person shooters. While it is a fun little shooter the game isn't worth 60 bucks. I'd wait until the game hits 10 dollar range before picking it up.
  2. May 4, 2013
    This is in no way a terrible game don't let bad reviews fool you I'm new to the Star Trek universe but still enjoy this game. So from a gamers standpoint the game is very fun has a cool story and is made by a good company who also developed the darkness 2 and dark sector (two of my favorite games back then) I recommend at least renting it and playing it before judging it as a "crappy movie licensed title" because that is what I did and I'm glad I gave it a chance. Expand
  3. Apr 28, 2013
    Beyond the co-op not working this is just an average adventure game with cover based shooter mechanics. Almost had buyers remorse but I really wasn't expecting much out of a Star Trek game, no one seems to have made a decent one recently.
  4. Sep 6, 2013
    Este juego es una de esas cosas que no deseas equivocarte al comprar jamas es una copia barata de todos los buenos juegos de este tipo que puedes ver un error de juego total
  5. Apr 26, 2013
    I had high expectations for this game but like most others who have reviewed this game I feel as though it needs refining on numerous aspects. The game has mediocre graphics along with low grade AI. Star Trek also fails to explain some hacking mini-games that are necessary to get through most parts of the game but overall were not difficult to figure out. Some glitches happen with character movement but nothing to drastic to ruin the game play's entirety. Some positives include the voice acting provided by the cast from the movies, co-op seems to be well paced and enjoyable with friends, and the upgrade system for the phaser and tricorder are small in size but some obtainable upgrades still have the ability in certain battle situations to provide assistance to both Kirk and Spock. This game feels like a downloadable game opposed to a $60 game. Overall the game is over priced but would recommend renting from gamefly or redbox to play online co-op with a friend. Expand
  6. Apr 26, 2013
    First of all I will say this. I will never buy a Namco Bandai Game ever again." 2.7 average reviews is absolutely correct. The game is just horrible, pitiful and dishonest for the price.
  7. Apr 27, 2013
    Any game with fake reviews and broken coop deserves to be removed from Steam. This game sucks. Don't get this game, it is a waste of time and money...
  8. Apr 27, 2013
    I am shocked and appalled at how glitchy this game is and how the developers have the nerve to write fake reviews and score it a 10.

The A.I is brain-dead. If you want to do something stealthy then don't count on it because your A.I will run in at full speed whether it is Spock or Kirk.

It's glitchy! I've had to restart levels because I've ended up walking in space, bosses have died
    too soon and as a result interrupted a cut scene, the AI will just stop what they're doing sometimes and expect you to do the whole level on your own.

The controls are just clunky. It's hard to jump from pillar to pillar, your partner will stand in front of a door and refuse to move, your character will sometimes refuse to move in the right direction... just bad. Why couldn't they fix this before release?

Now don't get me wrong: this game has got some redeeming features.

The characters may look ghostly but the environments are pretty damn awesome. They are beautiful on my PC and I have stopped moving to look around in awe.

The voice actors are all here too which is a nice touch although the friendship between Spock and Kirk is a little... well it doesn't feel right. Would it have felt better if the characters were based off of original Kirk and Spock and voiced by Shatner and Nimoy? Some part of me wants to wish so but I know it wouldn't work.

This game is disappointing and bad. As a life-long fan of Star Trek: TOS I can safely say I want Scotty to beam me up because this game was a waste of money.

Ps.

I've not tried Co-Op just yet so I do not think it would be fair to comment on that aspect of the game
  9. Apr 27, 2013
    the game is with lots of bugs, online not working and they think we will not notice the fake accounts boosting metacritic score ,so f you and hope you never develop another game in the future
  10. Apr 27, 2013
    THIS GAME SUCKS. It had potential being star trek but now its stupid. i played it and had bug after bug glitch after glitch. IT MUST DIE. But i mean it had good graphics and stuff but its bad. JUST BAD AND POOP SALAD.
  11. Apr 28, 2013
    I think everyone is being a little hard on a game that really isn't that bad. And if you have ps3 and 3D tv it looks pretty cool. For a franchise game I think I could have been a lot worse.(and contrary to what some people have said, it is in no way related to the story line of the up-coming film)
  12. Apr 30, 2013
    Wow, I literally just registered for an account here to say how terrible this was. Poor textures, lacklustre gameplay. getting stuck in walls and doors and on ladders. AI blocking doors you need to walk through. Overriding memory of the game was selecting 'restart checkpoint' because of a bug, my AI partner kept stopping to go on an invisible treadmill in the corner of the room, he also sat through an entire boss fight FACING THE WRONG WAY and not fighting. no wonder he kept dying. there was literally nothing in it other than TPS and a couple of interactive cut-scenes. good script, good voice acting ish, excellent sound. on second thoughts they did basically use the same sounds for the bad guys as one of the aliens in Halo 3. why? only good for comedy value because of the bugs, but you can get that on youtube for free. I think if it was half the length and cost £0.50 it would have been worth it. Treat this game like a plague victim and don't go near it if your life depends on it. If someone wants you to play the whole game make sure you are being paid for your time. Expand
  13. May 1, 2013
    Hello Fellow metacritics. I just became a member today to comment on this terrible game. I am an avid Star Trek fan. This game takes away from the anticipation of the upcoming movie. It is horrible and very buggy. I paid full price for this garbage and just wish there was a way to receive a full refund. This is what makes the video gaming industry terrible entertainment for that mater. It allows someone to put out a known crappy product and get paid. For now on I will use reviewing sites like this one to review before any purchase at all in the future. I give this game a 1 just because of Gene Roddenberry's creation and brand which obviously Namco leeched onto. Expand
  14. May 1, 2013
    I had very high hopes for this game as there hasn't been a decent Star Trek game out in years. I'm old enough to have played Star Trek games from Interplay so I know what I'm talking about.

Star Trek The Video Game isn't good, but it isn't bad either. It needed more polish, it needed a better game mechanic, in short- it needed more time in development. But as "movie-tie-in-games go, it
    isn't bad.

That being said, what I am angry about is that I paid $60 for it. This is a $30 game at best.

I'll play it through, once as Kirk and once as Spock but then its off to GameStop for trade credit.
  15. May 2, 2013
    It's rare that a game should disappoint on so many levels. The graphics are outdated. The AI is, frankly, dumb. The writing and plots are both extremely predictable. On whole, the game is little more than a platform jump/shooter, and a very buggy one, to boot. If you're playing it solo, your "partner" does little more than get in the way.

To be honest, I did not play it for more
    than an hour. With everything about it being so bad, I don't need to give it any more of a chance. Expand
  16. May 2, 2013
    don't buy this game is riddled with bugs and unplayable problems. this game has small pockets of fun maybe every 2 hours or so but thats it. game s repetitive and boring definitely not worth $60, maybe buy it if price tag is under $5
  17. May 6, 2013
    I thought Aliens Colonial Marines was a bad game but when you look at Star Trek... Aliens CM looks like a great game instead of this game.... Bad IA, Bad Graphics, Bad Animation, Coop not working at the release nothing can't be save in that mess... it doesn't deserve to be played by anyone not even the Star Trek Franchise's fan.... but the game made me laugh a lot when I saw Spock dying again and again for NO REASON or getting stuck and force you to reload the checkpoint. Nah seriously, save your money for Mass Effect if you didn't play it or even Resident Evil 6 Dead Space 3... because all those games are a lot better than this... damn I can't even call it a "game"... Expand
  18. May 14, 2013
    Okay so I've played some bad games but this one has just earned it place in my top 10 games
    A star Trek game sounds like a good idea. Right? Wrong! I only wish that when they delayed the release of this game they would've polished it up and fixes the co-op and stuff. This game is a mess! Yeah you can explore the ship and play as our favorite heroes and the voice acting is pretty damn
    good. But geez! Please can we get a damn co-op game going?! I don't know how it went for others but mine didn't function right but still. Anyway I felt like they just didn't even con sitter fixing this game up. So many glitches and bugs I had to restart my console cause the game crashed! We're in 2013! How do we still have games that CRASH!!!?!?!?!? But when it doesn't mess up its pretty fun and entertaining its a pretty decent third person shooter when the A.I is working. But anyway this game isn't bad it....Okay I guess
    some of the glitches were pretty funny!
    I'm just glad I rented it and didn't pay full price for this game.
  19. May 17, 2013
    Completing the game 4 times in coop with a girlfriend fan of Star Trek have brought me the most wonderful emotions in our relationship, now i'm having a smoke.
  20. May 23, 2013
    works fine for me game uses steam servers _-_

yea
  21. Jun 15, 2013
    That anyone could rate this game above a 5 or describe any part as awesome makes me feel like I was sent a dud disk, a Videodrome alike attempt to crush my mind and drain every feeling of joy out of a franchise I love.

I played Star Trek with a friend in couch-coop, a mode that seemed perfectly suited to the Spock/ Kirk interplay of the new movies. There were certainly a few sequences
    of dialogue that made me chuckle, but most of the laughs came from the atrocious script and wooden character models.

Perhaps it's because this is a game of a film, but I expect film quality dialogue, film quality cut scenes, and film quality story. This game delivers none of this. Characters will stride across rooms, rotate on the spot and deliver their lines like a group of stage players. Lip syncing fails with alarming regularity (strangely, more regularly on Karl Urban's normally well played McCoy) leaving the crew looking like stuffed mannaquins.

The story deals with the Gorn, they of the Star Trek background. What's odd though is that these Gorn are nothing like those protrayed in Star Trek up 'til now, and have gained a backstory that's entirely at odds with everything written about them so far. The writers would have been better to have created a new race, rather than invent such a contrived origin as they managed here.

Texture quality seems to have been chopped at the last second, and more often than not I was confronted with disturbing levels of banding on skyboxes. We're not quite at holodeck technology, but it'd be nice to have a bit of immersion from the graphics this game reminded me of Playstation 2 shocker Driv3r more often than not.

I mentioned laughing at the game, and it was the recurrence of odd bugs that brought the most entertainment. Ragdoll bodies shooting across the level, Kirk and Spock glitching into each other when opening doors, enemies running into walls (or even just ignoring you), and more often than not entire sequences failing to initialise. Early in the game, a boss collapsed to the floor having failed to initialise a scripted sequence that would allow us to proceed. A swift checkpoint restart was all that could fix this. Nevermind that it's impossible for Player Two to enjoy a coop experience over two sittings, my chum was annoyed to find that all his progress has been reset after we began playing again no achievements for you my friend.

It would be hard to finish without mentioning the ending. Don't worry, there are no spoilers there's nothing to spoil! All you get for completing the game is a daringly short shot of the Enterprise warping away, coupled with a voiceover on the credits. Did the developers plan for something more, but find themselves short of time? Either way, I don't expect to have to suffer because they can't manage their time properly.

I'd be remiss to mention the sound, if only to say how unremarkable it is. Weapons manage to feel like little more than nerf guns, and the soundtrack rapidly begins to grate with its overuse of the films' leitmotifs. Special mention must go to a segments in one of the earlier episodes that my gaming companion and I both realised sounded more like Star Wars than Star Trek. Perhaps the composer had as little interest in the subject matter as the rest of the team.

This is a bad game, and it's galling how much it wastes an excellent subject. The endlessly repeated on-rails segments will haunt me, and the commendation system barely manages to encourage replayability. If you see this for £5 in a bargain bin, it's maybe worth a punt, at full price it's only going to disappoint.
  22. Jun 17, 2013
    Originally I saw this game first back at E3 2012. After watching some brief game play I could not wait for the games release the following year. When I finally played it I forgot what I liked about the game so much. Game play is okay, however, glitches become annoying. Game is better played with a friend on co-op but does not make up for other places the game is lacking.
  23. Jul 6, 2013
    Best movie tie-in game ever. Still a very poor game. Developer's must realise that chucking a movie license on your game isn't an excuse to make a half-assed effort.
  24. Aug 29, 2013
    I normally don't take the time to blog and write reviews on games but I litterally made an account here JUST FOR THIS GAME!! IM SOO DISSAPOINTED. Honestly did this game even go through testing? I have never played a game with more bugs and glitches than this one. I find myself constantly having to restart the lvl because of getting stuck on a wall or even a game sign necessary to complete the level that glitched and didn't even show up. On top of that the controls on this game are absolutely horrrid. I have NEVER played a game with worse control controls than this one. Walking alone glitches. Dissapointing because the game does have a couple of fun parts if u can have the patients to make it through its slew of glitches.. I blame everything on the game testers. This game was obviously rushed to hit the stores and it shows. I want my money back. Expand
  25. Jan 21, 2014
    It gave me a boner. It really did. I popped one when I saw the graphics. I popped one when I saw the story. I popped one when I saw the amazing gameplay.
  26. Jun 8, 2014
    First impressions was not sure how this is gonna turn out because I hate the tv series and not fan of the films.. But I was impressed with this game, loved the story and the objectives you had to do, I thought the graphics were really good also. I think people should give this game a chance, this is also in my collection and is not going anywhere.
  27. Jun 21, 2014
    Nam-co employes or people who give this piece of crap a 7-10 are scum I respect people that actually genuinely like the game now the score is evened up fairly even though I think the game would've actually have gotten a 4 out of ten despite my review also the namco employees are acting like scum. This is my first review and it may seem suspicious but whatever let the namco employees act like brats and call me and everyone who wanted to even out the score anyways basically you heard all the complaints buggy as hell, mediocre graphics, **** coop and launch, etc. I advise you to avoid this horrible game also this is the rating I would've regardless of the child brats, sorry to beat a dead horse. Expand
  28. May 1, 2013

isn't bad.

1. Jul 22, 2013
    Throughout its run-time, which seems like an eternity (though likely isn’t), Star Trek is a consistently underwhelming and frequently frustrating experience; it’s mostly ugly, it plays alright and does little of interest with a great license.
  2. Jun 12, 2013
    Star Trek: The Video Game is almost a fun, harmless game about cool characters shooting lizard men, but never rises above what you’d expect a licensed tie-in to be.
  3. May 31, 2013
    A shoddy job - no laurels! Even Captain Kirk and Spock know that. In all respects Star Trek: The Video Game is a very bad game.