7.2

1. Apr 2, 2015
    State of decay may be an awesome game if your a hardcore fan boy of zombies and survival horror. If not, then you will get bored of this game very easily. The controls were neat and easy to handle and maneuver, but at the same time unresponsive.This game has pretty weak gameplay and the graphics are average. This game also has a few glitches that I have noticed. Besides that, the RPGState of decay may be an awesome game if your a hardcore fan boy of zombies and survival horror. If not, then you will get bored of this game very easily. The controls were neat and easy to handle and maneuver, but at the same time unresponsive.This game has pretty weak gameplay and the graphics are average. This game also has a few glitches that I have noticed. Besides that, the RPG elements to this game are pretty good for a survival horror game, and storing loot from abandoned houses and stores to upgrade yourself is thoroughly addictive. I wouldn't recommend it, but its way better than Resident evil and other bad zombie games. Buy this if you want to. Expand
  2. Mar 25, 2015
    State of Decay is an impressive open world zombie game also Zombie-survival RPG Simulated with Unforgiving perma-death and built creating a safe place, by defending it, gathering supplies for your groups of survivors also character building system Well done undead studios!!
  3. Mar 2, 2015
    Its certainly well put together for an xbox arcade game. Sure its not as polished as a big budget monster but there is loads of potential and heaps to do. If you are happy to accept the odd glitch and not so dazzling graphics it makes up for it with far more originality than yet another generic title from the pond scum developers such as EA and ubis**t.

Possibly the few criticisms would

Possibly the few criticisms would hinge upon a little greater explanation of how to actually build up your base and keep the residents happy. I was stuck for ages with my residents being unhappy and angry and not a clue what to do about it. Additionally you also cannot simply execute the troublesome people with a swift gunshot or swing of an axe to resolve the issues which I suppose is a refreshing change from the grand theft auto style of doing things, albeit a little frustrating at times.
  4. Feb 22, 2015
    I love zombie games, and thought I would love this one, but I was proven wrong. The game has a nice presentation to it, but it doesn't sit right with me. Immediately several things just proved bothersome.

The day/night cycle, which is set to real time and no option to skip either. This proves futile when you and your characters are injured and need that required rest in order to explore and fend off hordes. So be prepared to be wandering around your home base at night, not being able to explore, because you're at too low of a level. Which is boring. Walking around aimlessly for an hour in real time.

Another thing I didn't like was the offline simulation. Really? You're going to play the game while I'm not playing it? So when I come back I find my survivors dead and my food/meds/weapons gone?

The one thing I found most frustrating was the amount of zombies. Supposedly there is a limit to the number of zombies the game can generate at any given time. But this isn't true. I found 6 zombie hordes within the same area at once during daylight hours. I fear what that would be like at night. Also the fact that there are zombies during the daytime? I guess the developers never read up on classic zombies when making this game. I can understand them being inside houses and whatnot, but roaming the streets during the day time? Come on.

This is one of those games that gets rave reviews and I just end up not liking it.
  5. Jan 7, 2015
    This was a lovely surprise. At its core, an open-world zombie game, State of Decay is made so much more interesting by the strategic additions to its gameplay - building up a team of survivors, developing their unique perks and combat skills, keeping them all happy, and alive. Permadeath awaits any member unfortunate enough to be caught out by poor preparation for an encounter with theThis was a lovely surprise. At its core, an open-world zombie game, State of Decay is made so much more interesting by the strategic additions to its gameplay - building up a team of survivors, developing their unique perks and combat skills, keeping them all happy, and alive. Permadeath awaits any member unfortunate enough to be caught out by poor preparation for an encounter with the undead. Most individual zombies are straightforward enough to deal with (apart from some of the "freak" ones), but if you're negligent enough to be ganged up on by more than three or four at once without any of your allies in tow then you run a real risk of being a goner. And when one of your most developed characters gets their torso ripped clean off the rest of their body and they're gone for good, it's a real kick-to-the-stomach feeling. The fact that there's the potential for this to happen at any time means you never feel safe in this game, you're always on edge.

In addition, everything I wanted to do, whether it be move my group to a larger home base, or expand the facilities therein, something always seemed to happen to make that goal just out of arm's reach. You're not really playing State of Decay, you really are just survivng through it. Possibly the closest any game has ever come to making you feel how you probably would do if zombies really did take over. It's not the most polished game, a relatively low-budget offering, it's a little rough around the edges technically, but such deficiencies are easy to forgive when you consider the wider picture and the unique experience the game does offer. Even the story is somewhat involving. It's the best Grand Theft Auto game I've played.
  6. Jan 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It`s like GTA with zombies, you get explore and infiltrate homes full of zombies to get supplies to survive, as well as rescue hostages alongside missions. Expand
  7. Nov 14, 2014
    Great game. I bought this hoping I'd get a good 10 hours of gaming out of it. I think I've played through the main story line 6 or 7 times now ... probably 100+ hours now.
    I think I was hooked the on the first playthru the first time I started getting cocky - moved to my first new homestead, had a community of 9 people, had 2 characters rocking some decent fighting stats - and died horribly. Wow. Stayed out looting too long, ran out of stamina and snacks, flipped my car, got zerg'd, and watched the biters tear me in half and munch on my parts. Yes, my best character was GONE.
    PLAY THIS GAME!
  8. Aug 30, 2014
    THE BEST ZOMBIE SURVIVAL GAME EVER!!!! From perma death, to scavenging, base building, to survivor recruitment, this game has it all. This game is about stealth and survival and not being a zombie killing badd-ass. Full of tension, thrills and strategy you can put in tons of ours into this game.
  9. Jul 27, 2014
    This game if very appealing to every survival game fan, yet it lacks what would be great. This game is decent in it's survival aspects, I could clear out entire crowds of zombies just by using melee weapons and walking back about 10 feet. The only time I felt like it was a challenge was when they threw in Left 4 Dead zombies, which doesn't make sense when they advertised it as realistic.This game if very appealing to every survival game fan, yet it lacks what would be great. This game is decent in it's survival aspects, I could clear out entire crowds of zombies just by using melee weapons and walking back about 10 feet. The only time I felt like it was a challenge was when they threw in Left 4 Dead zombies, which doesn't make sense when they advertised it as realistic.

A lot of the survival stuff is very bare-bones. Collect supply, Gather food, Get weapons. It all gets stale because this is very easy to do. No challenge fighting zombies and surviving. It is a breath of fresh air and has a lot of stuff I have been wanting in a game for years, yet it is executed as unpolished and minimal.
  10. Jul 22, 2014
    Really awesome game! Very innovative and very satisfying.Combine the survival element with stealth and combat. I really enjoy it,despite having to babysit everybody in the game,but that's what makes it fun! Because it's a zombie survival game,you gotta take care of everybody,including yourself! Great Game!

Hope there will be more games like this in the future!
  11. Jul 22, 2014
    State of Decay is the only game I have ever played that actually makes me scared of dying, which is very much needed in the video game industry. You can explore the massive world, scavenge, recruit, claim territory and of course, kill zombies. You feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders when managing your base. There is nothing like running back to base with a backpack ofState of Decay is the only game I have ever played that actually makes me scared of dying, which is very much needed in the video game industry. You can explore the massive world, scavenge, recruit, claim territory and of course, kill zombies. You feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders when managing your base. There is nothing like running back to base with a backpack of supplies with a horde of zombies right behind you, with your friends desperately trying to save you. This is the game all zombie games will be compared to. Expand
  12. Jul 15, 2014
    I have wanted to play an extensive zombie survival game for a long time, and the day this came out on the xbox store, i knew it was worth a look. The storyline isnt too extensive but is still not repetitive which means it can be completed in a single sitting. However the storyline isnt the main focus for most players in this game. The survival aspect is amazing. Food and water needs to beI have wanted to play an extensive zombie survival game for a long time, and the day this came out on the xbox store, i knew it was worth a look. The storyline isnt too extensive but is still not repetitive which means it can be completed in a single sitting. However the storyline isnt the main focus for most players in this game. The survival aspect is amazing. Food and water needs to be collected along with medicine to keep your survivors alive, whom you can recruit from nearby 'enclaves' by earning their trust. You can do this through many short missions which can often take you to undiscovered areas and provide you with the resources you need. Ammunition and fuel can be stored to help the camp's survival and building materials can be found which can upgrade the players home facility or allow them to move to an entirely new one. These systems work smoothly with each other albeit a few minor bugs. Expand
  13. Jul 6, 2014
    One of, if not the best game available on the XBLA. This was something fresh amongst all the zombie survival games that were just becoming popular, the base mechanics and having to scavenge for food and supplies makes it feel like there are things you should always be doing. Being able to switch between the characters in your base makes for some interesting variation as many have differentOne of, if not the best game available on the XBLA. This was something fresh amongst all the zombie survival games that were just becoming popular, the base mechanics and having to scavenge for food and supplies makes it feel like there are things you should always be doing. Being able to switch between the characters in your base makes for some interesting variation as many have different stats/traits. It definitely suffers from some problems such as frame rate drops and textures not loading properly, and the story wasn't particularly the best - however the situations i would find myself in more than made up for this and in a sense each player will make their own story depending on what happens to the group of survivors/base they develop Expand
  14. Jun 30, 2014
    Fiery, Feral and Ferocious; this game is a clear winner. It's Xbox's answer to The Last of Us, and although it may not have the finesse or attention to detail of Naughty Dog's piece of art, it comes damn close. For those of you who are obsessed with the Walking Dead (guilty!), this game is for you. It encompasses the elements of a real zombie-survival horror story, forcing you to makeFiery, Feral and Ferocious; this game is a clear winner. It's Xbox's answer to The Last of Us, and although it may not have the finesse or attention to detail of Naughty Dog's piece of art, it comes damn close. For those of you who are obsessed with the Walking Dead (guilty!), this game is for you. It encompasses the elements of a real zombie-survival horror story, forcing you to make tough decisions, look after your 'camp' and also rewards you for putting in time and effort. I played a good 18 hours of the game, and I still want to play more. The game is very original (especially with its real-time gameplay), and addictive. Just make sure you take breaks from this game, don't turn into a zombie yourself!
    This is an absolute must for zombie fans! Go eat them brains!
  15. Jun 20, 2014
    I'm sorry... I want to love this game. It's an amazing idea and has potential to be an amazing game. However as much as I want to love this game.... it won't let me. I don't need incredible graphics to enjoy a game. Matter in fact I would rather take a larger world vs high visuals. The main problem I have with this game is the lack of quality. Late loading causing pop ins, which happens toI'm sorry... I want to love this game. It's an amazing idea and has potential to be an amazing game. However as much as I want to love this game.... it won't let me. I don't need incredible graphics to enjoy a game. Matter in fact I would rather take a larger world vs high visuals. The main problem I have with this game is the lack of quality. Late loading causing pop ins, which happens to many open world games, even GTA 5. But I've had too many situation where I was going fast down a road and suddenly a broke down car will magically appear right in front of me causing a head on collision destroying my vehicle (or damaging it pretty bad). The numerous glitches can either just be hilarious, annoying or down right game breaking. But the worst of them are the crashed games. I can't tell you how many times I've crashed, having to do a hard restart on my console. Sometimes I have a continuous crash where I restart, play for 10 seconds and crash, no matter what I do 10 seconds into game time I crash. I had to completely start a new game because I couldn't load a previous save... because there are no previous saves. Just the stupid auto-save. Gaming companies, stop with the reliant autosave! Let us save our own games.

I have a very high patients... hell I played through Two Worlds. But with this? It's just too riddled with bugs and glitches. Starting over is annoying. Crashes aren't good for my console. Framerate is horrid at times. I think it's more annoying when the game is actually good, and I want to play it. I really want to play this game... it just won't let me! No it's not my consoles they are both practically brand new but it crashes on PS3 and Xbox 360 so there isn't a difference between consoles, PC is a different story. Please polish your games before you release them.

(NOTE: This is just my review for consoles. I've heard PC has less problems and if that's true 7/10)
  16. May 24, 2014
    best survival / zombie game ever not for 10 min gamers this game wont hold your hand and death is everlasting i dont even think there is cheats for this game ...a game made for gamers
  17. Apr 25, 2014
    This review is designed to help the undecided decide.. I wrote it designed to point out the key parts for those interested....

78 critic score is TOTAL CRAP! Anyone who has played this game for even 1 hour can feel the potential... --it's an insanely ADDICTING,REWARDING experience.. Did I mention it's addicting.. I just returned to playing this game when I saw the DLC

--it's an insanely ADDICTING,REWARDING experience.. Did I mention it's addicting.. I just returned to playing this game when I saw the DLC "Breakdown"..funny how the day after I purchased it, the d@mn DLC goes on "spring-sale" clearance. But I used all my luck years ago...
    ---sound--superb. Funny sayings are cleverly placed into new characters who show up..
    --OPEN WORLD- this is the ultimate prototype for "open World freedom"!! You can travel in a car to the boonies on on the faaar side of no mans land and STILL be able to go inside houses for chance loot able stuff..
    --The Game--you find two kinds of loot.. Backpacks which you return to you're base and get you're stockpile of that resource increased. Like medicine,food,ammo,fuel etc,,((you're people slowly dwindle you're resources daily and mainly you use them to build new buildings that unlock newer features..that's a big part of what's addicting....
    --There's many different buildings that can be used for you're base of operations and you can relocate you're whole clan easy enough..
    ----key feature worth noting--""call for runners"" say ya don't wanna carry the backpack all the way home,,,hit a button and for a few pennies runners come and get it..but with 2 small prices/risks..-1- you don't get the morale points and experience of delivering it...and 2nd and more importantly- there's a chance the guy going to get it (ON-FOOT) can be ambushed and if you don't go physically save him - there's a 50/50 chance he will DIE! And you have no control who the runner is..it could be you're favorite hero..every player in game is playable and every single person is unique and different...
    --also,,the runners going to get the backpack for you actually leave the home base and jog all the way there,,pick up backpack and jog a lil slower now all the way back.. The further the run is the higher the risk..
    --you encounter them here & there if you're really micro managing everything.. Ya get into the flow of this game and will have 20'things all going at same time...

---guys,, play this cheap game before you PERMANENTLY move on to Xbox1..
    --it takes the shooting zombies we love from shooters,,and the beating them down and beheadeding and lambing them from dead island type games we love,,,and the base building of. Tower defense games we love...all while we get attached to the survivors..--

--also--HEROES--when you're on a roll doing good and everyone is happy(not always) heroes show up and need and escort,,if you cane sort them= they will join you and they might be a former swat team sniper!!!or a emergency room dr??or a engineer or auto mechanic??these "heroes" become the leaders and most valuable of you're whole village...if you by chance find say a CHEF,,you can access the menu for feast and special meals that pack amazing results and boost.. It's fulfilling when you score an engineer who can build stuff..

----it's obvious the minds behind this designed a game they too wanted to really play..

The scores for this game are reasons why the scoring is broken and one must "READ THE REVIEWS",NOT JUST THE SCORES.. I WOULD REALISTIC SCORE THIS A *** 9 ***
  18. Apr 15, 2014
    This game is amazing, original and much better than last of us, because you have more freedom in it. Is worth it to get an xbox just to play this piece of art
  19. Feb 23, 2014
    There is no shortage of zombies in State of Decay. The game keeps you very busy with missions, building facilities, tending to other survivors, maintaining your home base and, of course, killing tons of (re-spawning) zombies. If you like to go at your own pace, then you'll be disappointed with SOD; Missions expire, infestations grow and materials deplete daily. There is no difficultThere is no shortage of zombies in State of Decay. The game keeps you very busy with missions, building facilities, tending to other survivors, maintaining your home base and, of course, killing tons of (re-spawning) zombies. If you like to go at your own pace, then you'll be disappointed with SOD; Missions expire, infestations grow and materials deplete daily. There is no difficult selector, so if you're not too coordinated with an XBOX controller, or like to buzz through games on easy, you will get frustrated. The music and sounds effects are nice, the graphics have some frame rate issues, driving feels good until it catches on fire from mowing down a few zombie hordes, combat is repetitive but satisfying (however your weapon breaks frequently), voice acting and writing is decent, and night cycles add an extra challenge. You won't get bored playing SOD and might even feel a little overwhelmed, but not always in a fun way. Not for the casual gamer (review the various strategy guides online for help), a solid game for the Zombie sub-genre. Expand
  20. Jan 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game impressed me! You can pick any survivor and go out of home base, searching for supplies. You have to be very careful. Make sure to always bring weapons [firearms and a side weapon] and medicine when leaving home base if you wish to survive. You have the ability to bring fellow survivors too. If the character you are playing dies, then you cannot play as that character anymore. Therefore, be careful. One part of the game that is annoying is when zombie hordes come frequently. Another annoying thing is when survivors often end up lost. Can't I ever get a break? I like rescuing survivors. Expand
  21. Jan 13, 2014
    Very entertaining. I must have spent over 30 hours on this game scavenging alone. The different zombie types are nice, even if not TOO original. Would definitely keep playing and recommend.
  22. Jan 2, 2014
    This title was exactly what I was looking for when I thought 'Zombie Apocalypse Survival'. I was looking for a game that challenged you to survive and have a realistic element tied in with the fictional element of zombies. Not just beat up zombies, but actually survive. You can gather resources, build up a home base, find survivors that you will help you but occasionally will need yourThis title was exactly what I was looking for when I thought 'Zombie Apocalypse Survival'. I was looking for a game that challenged you to survive and have a realistic element tied in with the fictional element of zombies. Not just beat up zombies, but actually survive. You can gather resources, build up a home base, find survivors that you will help you but occasionally will need your protection as well... it's very well thought out and even though it could go farther, it's already better than any of the other zombie apocalypse games I've tried that are more focused on brain splatter or following some story line. You can draw comparisons to GTA in how the game plays, and switching between characters is a must. I think the only thing that makes it a 9 rather than a 10 for me is that I can't really secure larger areas to prevent the zombies from just spawning and killing my team. At the very least, I'd like to see a short period of time, after securing a house or building, before zombies start showing up out of no where. If I clear a path for my scavengers, I'd like to know they aren't going to randomly be destroyed by a horde that spawned a minute or two after I left the area. That part takes away from the realism a bit, but it does add a challenge, no doubt. Either way, they are on the right track, and I'd like to see more games like this one, that seem to focus on the game-play more-so than the brain splatters. Expand
  23. Dec 22, 2013
    State of decay is an awesome zombie simulation with a few reasons to keep on playing past the quest line.
    Firt of all SoD is not graphically impressive, textures are constantly popping in and the frame rate is unacceptable at times but these issues have not impacted the fun of the game. The controls are very simple making it very easy to play and all of the survival elements are cool but my biggest issue with the game is difficulty at times it is too easy and Undead Labs really need to pull a hardcore mode together that will run in real-time and leaving the game shouldnt just have negative effects. whats wrong? does everyone forget that they need to collect food for survival?
    If you buy this game skip the main game and skip towards the breakdown DLC for a more open and challenging experience
  24. Dec 17, 2013
    Welcome to the land of hell. State Of Decay is one of the most remember-able "zombie games" that will stand in the light with Left 4 Dead or Dead Island. Being a Xbox arcade game and becoming the 2nd best selling Xbox live game to date, you could say State Of Decay was praised by the general public. Forget about the dated graphics and crashes and your left with a solid zombie premise thatWelcome to the land of hell. State Of Decay is one of the most remember-able "zombie games" that will stand in the light with Left 4 Dead or Dead Island. Being a Xbox arcade game and becoming the 2nd best selling Xbox live game to date, you could say State Of Decay was praised by the general public. Forget about the dated graphics and crashes and your left with a solid zombie premise that can revival AAA games. For all Zombie and open world gamers you would be missing out if you hadn't already got your fixture on this game. State of Decay is a excellent Game with ground braking machines and a half hearted story that shouldn't be missed no madder the short comings. Expand
  25. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion (i've played this title for 70h+) this game captures the essence of survival in a fictional apocalypse-scenario: resource gathering, enough self-feature to inspire moving forward (or stay in a global "status quo" inside the game), fight without end giving enough desperation to hope for a better outcome. OK, the characters voices are not the best so far (i hope a DLC would correct that, adding sound and bugfix material, also some new features like areas which can be "cleansed" for a longer time /2-3 real-time hours/, or fuel consumption in cars) and the bugs can be hellraiser (a Juggernaut comes trough the door.......), but we got permadeath and mood crisises (effectively almost all the same, but in sense makes different) and a currency system which will generate itself and fluctuate if you are offline.

This means that the open-world constantly moves: survivors get chewd up, others may come and go, resources get depleted or replenished, psych issues can/will make the offline process harder or sometimes a little easier so in one sentence: it is not a bad game. I do not say "awesome" because there is a lot features what aren't explained thoroughly in the game's manual (there is a wikia for that); it is just simply a "give-it-a-go" game: if you play it you will realize that you like it or not. So all in all: it is balanced by the positive features and some bug-related gameplay flaws; it is fun.

And remember: it is not about the zombies. It is about management and survival. Stealth wins the day, gun-hoes will be joining the mindless creep on the street.
  26. Dec 13, 2013
    State of Decay is a fun game because there is nothing quite like it. No other game has successfully achieved surviving in an apocalypse as State of Decay. The gameplay is fun, but the story is mediocre.
  27. Nov 30, 2013
    The game is great... but not as great as everyone makes out to be its not a perfect masterpiece that some say, the game has issues but not to extreme. There was a lot of potential in the characters but was quickly ruined when most character traits such as psychopathic don't change anything, there is no character relationship, if a character dies you feel nothing and if you do its aThe game is great... but not as great as everyone makes out to be its not a perfect masterpiece that some say, the game has issues but not to extreme. There was a lot of potential in the characters but was quickly ruined when most character traits such as psychopathic don't change anything, there is no character relationship, if a character dies you feel nothing and if you do its a disappointment because you put a lot of time into him/her and it was suddenly lost, the story and voice acting are dull and show almost no effort into it. However the games combat and survival aspects are great, and great enough to set aside all the disappointments this game had, and with the new Breakdown DLC it has gotten better with heroes you unlock by completing challenges all with there own weapons, traits and attributes, The only bad thing about the DLC is that the map does not change if you choose to move in the RV. There isn't much more to say, it has great survival and RPG elements, good combat except for gun controls being clunky. But overall the game is great. Expand
  28. Nov 29, 2013
    Best zombie game ever made. Feels like your in 'The walking Dead'. Micro management, Permanent character deaths (important because you can switch to these people) permanent vehicle loss. You have to maintain everything. Little missions constantly pop up to distract you from the main incentive (pursuing these can save playable characters lives)

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings

Setting up a camp- deciding what buildings to develop (med, ammo, sniper nests etc)

Talking to people that are depressed/have issues helps more than you realise

If you send someone on a mission to collect resources they will physically go across the map and attempt to collect and return. You must kit them out well if you dont want them to die. If they die, any resources they collected will drop at the place of death.

Little details like this make this game special.

LOADS of weapons/ammo types/items. Shooting is perfect, the lighting is beautful. Its a reminder of why we play games and where the medium is going.

The start of this game does not do it justice. Keep on playing
  29. Nov 23, 2013
    The game is good over all, it really feels like a survival and the game is built on you creating this safe place, by defending it, gathering supplies, and other things that makes this game both challenging and rewarding, but on a side note, it's too easy to break the cars down and there are some small bugs every now and then but it doesn't mess with the game play so overall it is a goodThe game is good over all, it really feels like a survival and the game is built on you creating this safe place, by defending it, gathering supplies, and other things that makes this game both challenging and rewarding, but on a side note, it's too easy to break the cars down and there are some small bugs every now and then but it doesn't mess with the game play so overall it is a good zombie survival game for those with some free time on their hands. Expand
  30. Nov 21, 2013
    An incredibly well thought out game for an excellent price from an indie developer constantly in touch with their fan base. Undead Labs vision of an apocalyptic zombie filled open world brings in aspects of several great open world titles and throws in much of their own unique twist.

An absolute must buy.

1. Oct 7, 2013
    An entertaining zombie apocalypse sandbox. It's a bit rough visually, but makes up for it with a persistent world. [Aug 2013]
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    It's not the most beautiful and polished game, but the end of the world with all it’s small and big problems rarely felt this real.
  3. Sep 4, 2013
    The Last of Us meets The Sims, mashed, salted and served with a few lumps. [Oct 2013, p.64]